PDA

View Full Version : Randle El looked great in his Redskins Debut

ibleedburgundy
09-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I guess you guys watched the game. Even though my skins lost in a nail-biter Antwaan Randle El looks fantastic. He caught every pass thrown his way and some of them were not easy catches plus he had some great punt returns with the help of some straight nasty blocks from Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers.

A lot of folks around the league look at Randle El's stats in Pittsburgh and think the Redskins overpaid. Based on week one, it seems he will have more than 35 catches this season.

I know the game was on in Pittsburgh so any thoughts?

Oh yeah, here is a video of the punt return and a few of the plays he was in on.

http://redskinsnation.net/videos/view/Game_Highlights/2006_-_2007_Season_Highlights/Week_01_vs_Minnesota_Vikings/elReturnRandomOffense.flv/hit

click on high resolution.

Mosca
09-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I liked him in that game; I like the way he plays and I hope that he blossoms. He's a great guy, an asset to any team he plays on. It's up to him whether or not he gives the 'skins and their fans their money's worth. Rest assured he'll give it his all trying to.

Tom

tony hipchest
09-14-2006, 02:17 PM
I guess you guys watched the game. Even though my skins lost in a nail-biter Antwaan Randle El looks fantastic. He caught every pass thrown his way and some of them were not easy catches plus he had some great punt returns with the help of some straight nasty blocks from Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers.

A lot of folks around the league look at Randle El's stats in Pittsburgh and think the Redskins overpaid. Based on week one, it seems he will have more than 35 catches this season.

Oh yeah, here is a video of the punt return and a few of the plays he was in on.

http://redskinsnation.net/videos/view/Game_Highlights/2006_-_2007_Season_Highlights/Week_01_vs_Minnesota_Vikings/elReturnRandomOffense.flv/hit

click on high resolution. his numbers werent stunning but his impact was big. minus wards td, he had a game much like what ward had in the miami game. not flashy but they caught everything that came their way. just wait til el takes some end arounds or throws a few passes. enjoy. i will be rooting for him.

ibleedburgundy
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
There is no such thing as a Snyder signing anymore. Gibbs runs the show on personel and he has done an outstanding job the last 2 years contrary to popular belief. Redskins contracts always look huge to fans of other teams because they are backloaded, so a player has to play up to potential to ever get that money. If they don't perform as a Redskin, they never see that money. Besides, you should see Gibbs brag on Randle El-he absolutely loves him, and he says he was highly impressed since the Redskins/Steelers game a years ago when we couldn't get him down. Coaches say a lot of things but I think Gibbs is sincere on this one.

As for Brunell, he threw 23 TD's last year and only 10 INT's. Had an 86 QB rating, plus he single-handedly beat Dallass last year at Dallass with that 24 yard QB sneak and two bombs to Moss (best game I've ever been to). He ran for a first down last week as well. He's 36. Several QB's have won their first superbowl at that age or later. Brunell ain't done yet and if he is, we have Jason Campbell waiting for his chance.

BlackNGold203
09-14-2006, 02:31 PM
i dunno....

I still see him running 7 yard outs on 3rd and 9.....

I like ARE...but the skins have no QB...so it will be hard to tell how much impact he may have....:cool: :cool:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-14-2006, 02:32 PM

click on high resolution.

I love El..and thats why a I stood up in disbelief when he stepped out of bounds at the end of the game ..short of the first down...I thought that he could have fought past the marker and still got out of bounds ..giving the 'skins a chance for at least one more play to get down the field...and closer for the field goal.

But in the end he will be a great asset for your team...team player..work ethic...multi-faceted talent.

tony hipchest
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Besides, you should see Gibbs brag on Randle El-he absolutely loves him, and he says he was highly impressed since the Redskins/Steelers game a years ago when we couldn't get him down. Coaches say a lot of things but I think Gibbs is sincere on this one.

. i definitely believe this. both are very firm, strong, and vocal of their Christian belief and their dedication to their faith. pardon the pun but its like a match made in heaven. el was a locker room favorite. i can see gibbs relying on him to assume a leadership role.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 03:47 PM
there's no doubt the skins grossly over paid for el. wasn't his second highest offer like 18 million? he's still a solid player all around and will contribute,but at that price i'm glad the steelers aren't writing his checks.

sumo
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Randle El is a stud -- be no way he catches 100 if Brunell stays at QB

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
there's no doubt the skins grossly over paid for el. wasn't his second highest offer like 18 million? he's still a solid player all around and will contribute,but at that price i'm glad the steelers aren't writing his checks.

I agree. I'd rather see the money that would've been spent on Randle El be used towards the signings of Ike Taylor, Willie Parker along with Ben and Troy in the future. I wish Randle El all the best but he is clearly not worth the amount of money he is now receiving in Washington. But, that's Snyder for you.

ibleedburgundy
09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
No way Randle El catches 100 passes no matter what. He's the #2 or #3 receiver. Even Santana Moss won't get 100 catches. Before the season I thought Randle El would catch maybe 50 passes with 4 TD's and some good punt returns. If he can do that, I think the Redskins will be happy with him. So far so good.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 04:56 PM
No way Randle El catches 100 passes no matter what. He's the #2 or #3 receiver. Even Santana Moss won't get 100 catches. Before the season I thought Randle El would catch maybe 50 passes with 4 TD's and some good punt returns. If he can do that, I think the Redskins will be happy with him. So far so good.
even 50 catches and 4 tds doesn't come close to justifying his paycheck. why do you think other teams stopped bidding around 18 million their money would have been much better spent going after a qb like culpecker or bree's.

sumo
09-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree. I'd rather see the money that would've been spent on Randle El be used towards the signings of Ike Taylor, Willie Parker along with Ben and Troy in the future. I wish Randle El all the best but he is clearly not worth the amount of money he is now receiving in Washington. But, that's Snyder for you.

No kidding -- what's with Snyder?! -- Redskins fans have got to be wondering how many more huge contracts this guy will give away to avg players and old vets -- he's the exact opposite of the Rooneys when it comes to signings...

ibleedburgundy
09-15-2006, 12:48 PM
even 50 catches and 4 tds doesn't come close to justifying his paycheck. why do you think other teams stopped bidding around 18 million their money would have been much better spent going after a qb like culpecker or bree's.

I don't agree with this for a number of reasons. For one, 2005 Brunell played very well-much better than 2004 Brunell. Having watched him all season, I think he is an ideal Gibbs QB-wise and largely mistake free (only 10 INT's all year, not bad). Keep in mind many people around the league were saying things like this about Doug Williams in 1987 and we all know how that ended up. Also, we have Jason Campbell. He is slated to be the QB of the future. I don't think we will go after another QB until we find out what JC can do. So far, he looks very promising.

Also, as I said earlier, Randle El's contract is back loaded. That is to say his bonus is pro-rated throughout the contract and the final year, which is by far the most expensive year, is "voidable." I don't know how many years were in the contracts offered by other teams but they might be less than 7, which would explain why the Redskins' bid was so much higher. In the end the deal will likely be a 6 year 24 million dollar contract and if Randle El is still producing at that point they will either restructure or cut him. So yeah, that is a lot for a slaught receiver, but the need for a #2 receiver was greater for the Redskins than most other teams IMO. Last year we had Santana Moss and our next best receiver was a TE and not much after that.

That is how the Redskins do it, and every year people say the Redskins will be in salary cap hell and have to purge their players and it has never materialized. I know it's not the way the Patriots, Eagles or the Steelers operate but Joe Gibbs has bought into this free agency thing and IN GIBBS WE TRUST. Thing about the Eagles is, all those years they lost the NFC championship and then a superbowl, they were not at or near the salary cap so all their fans were left wondering: "Would we have a ring right now had we gone after that one last free agent?" They'll never know and they got nothing to show.

MasterOfPuppets
09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't agree with this for a number of reasons. For one, 2005 Brunell played very well-much better than 2004 Brunell. Having watched him all season, I think he is an ideal Gibbs QB-wise and largely mistake free (only 10 INT's all year, not bad). Keep in mind many people around the league were saying things like this about Doug Williams in 1987 and we all know how that ended up. Also, we have Jason Campbell. He is slated to be the QB of the future. I don't think we will go after another QB until we find out what JC can do. So far, he looks very promising.

Also, as I said earlier, Randle El's contract is back loaded. That is to say his bonus is pro-rated throughout the contract and the final year, which is by far the most expensive year, is "voidable." I don't know how many years were in the contracts offered by other teams but they might be less than 7, which would explain why the Redskins' bid was so much higher. In the end the deal will likely be a 6 year 24 million dollar contract and if Randle El is still producing at that point they will either restructure or cut him. So yeah, that is a lot for a slaught receiver, but the need for a #2 receiver was greater for the Redskins than most other teams IMO. Last year we had Santana Moss and our next best receiver was a TE and not much after that.

That is how the Redskins do it, and every year people say the Redskins will be in salary cap hell and have to purge their players and it has never materialized. I know it's not the way the Patriots, Eagles or the Steelers operate but Joe Gibbs has bought into this free agency thing and IN GIBBS WE TRUST. Thing about the Eagles is, all those years they lost the NFC championship and then a superbowl, they were not at or near the salary cap so all their fans were left wondering: "Would we have a ring right now had we gone after that one last free agent?" They'll never know and they got nothing to show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365504

Here's all you need to know about the approach of Washington owner Daniel Snyder and the lack of quality receivers available in free agency this year: the Redskins gave former Steeler Antwaan Randle El almost as many millions as he had catches for Pittsburgh last year.

Washington and Randle El's agent, Fletcher Smith of CSMG Sports, finalized a seven-year contract worth $31 million that includes $11.5 million in bonuses. The deal is voidable after the sixth year.

Randle El made a bit of a tough call Saturday, rejecting a six-year, $18 million (including $8 million to sign) to play for the Bears in his native Illinois.

that 11.5 million is gauranteed money. i think hines ward only recieved a 9 million bonus. sorry but el isn't in the same league as ward.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Greatness doesn't run a passing route one yard short of the first down at the end of the game on a third down play. Ooops...wide right.

Greatness isn't 35 yards receiving.

Randle EL generally looks really good as he did with us. But "great"!? Ummm. No.

Golden Wave
09-16-2006, 10:29 AM
maybe the skins should put ARE in as qb?

Hines0wnz
09-18-2006, 07:29 PM
maybe the skins should put ARE in as qb?

Why, there is no commitment to winning in DC. :yawn:

:toofunny: :flap:

ibleedburgundy
09-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Laugh it up fellas. Brunell just set an NFL record for the most consecutive completions. :thumbsup:

Have to say it again, Randle El seems pretty darn happy in DC from my perspective. Dude is always skipping around, making plays. At this point he seems to be our #2 WR. He even threw some pretty good blocks on Sunday. If you watch one of the Portis TD's, ARE gets two good blocks. ARE's TD run was pretty awesome, he has such good moves in the open field.

Here is an article about the void he left in Pittsburgh.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/politics/15599905.htm):