PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich a sizable obstacle for Steelers

83-Steelers-43
09-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Leftwich a sizable obstacle for Steelers
Friday, September 15, 2006

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An undeserved stigma, perhaps?

Does Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich have a real or only perceived lack of mobility? Is he as cement-footed and pokey as people say, or is that reputation unfairly saddling the 6-foot-5, 242-pounder?

Well, as far as tongue-in-cheek responses, he offered one of the better ones in recent NFL conference-call history yesterday when the subject was broached.

"I'm constantly telling people, but they are not listening," Leftwich said, with a chuckle and then a few hearty laughs. "I'm not a slow quarterback, I'm just the slowest black one."

He then went on to qualify that statement by enacting his own ranking system on the footspeed of the starting quarterbacks around the league.

"I say that all the time, because if you count all 32, I'm just in the middle," Leftwich said. "I'm about No. 15 or No. 16."

While few would argue that Leftwich will never be considered fleet-of-foot or that his escapability is one of his most endearing qualities, the truth is that, coupled with his linebackeresque size, he carries a supersized chunk of self assurance. There's not a lot that psychologically rattles this 26-year-old Washington, D.C., native. Far be it for him to become frazzled by the possibility of a Monday night, nationally televised rib cage-rattling meeting with the Sports Illustrated-anointed "Most Feared Player in the NFL," Steelers linebacker Joey Porter.

"I don't fear nobody now," Leftwich said. "I respect [Porter] a lot. But I don't think nobody fears nobody. I understand what type of great player he is ... but to say I fear him? I fear no man."

Leftwich's size, talent and confidence are all reasons he poses a concern for the reigning Super Bowl champions in Jacksonville. While he has just 323 yards rushing in 40 games over his three-year career, that statistic is viewed by some as an unrealistic indicator as to the kind of player he is.

"All it comes down to is that he's a winner," Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said of Leftwich, another Mid-American Conference quarterback (Marshall) who has made it big in the NFL.

"Leftwich makes plays to win games. It's not about your size or how fast you run, it's about being a winner; he's a winner."

Leftwich's record as an NFL starter is 22-17. He is expected to improve on that mark this season. He is an imposing sight for any NFL defense. As a point of reference, the 242 pounds he carries is just a single pound lighter than Steelers linebacker James Farrior.

Getting close enough to tackle Leftwich is one thing, putting him on the ground is much more difficult than corralling a Doug Flutie or Jeff Garcia.

"When I get the opportunity to come off the corner on a blitz, I get excited," Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "More than likely, when you are playing against a quarterback who is going to be in the pocket like Leftwich, you can get a good shot at him. But then you realize you have to hit him as hard as you can to bring him down. You have to wrap him up or he's not going down."

And this season, Leftwich could be tougher to bring down than ever. Much tougher than in Week 2 of last year when he was sacked six times at Indianapolis for minus-23 yards.

And the reason: "I've lost about 13 pounds since last year," Leftwich explained.

After rethinking how his new streamlined physique might have knocked a 10th of a second or two off his 40-yard dash time, Leftwich took time to reposition himself in the unofficial fastest-to-slowest NFL starting quarterback rankings.

"After losing the weight, maybe I'm a little faster, maybe I'm like No. 9 or 10 right now," Leftwich said with a chuckle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06258/722042-66.stm

BlackNGold203
09-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Good read.....

All that being said...he's a statue...and he's going down....:cool: :cool:

HometownGal
09-15-2006, 06:56 AM
He's a big boy, that's for sure, but when the Steelers D hits, they hit HARD, so I don't see his size as being an obstacle to our D being able to bring him down. I really like Leftwich and feel he is one of the most underrated QBs in the league. Against the Steelers, however, I think he's going to have a long, long day, poor fellow. :cool:

paw-n-maul-u
09-15-2006, 08:47 AM
jacksonville always plays us tough ... remember the comeback drive ben lead two years ago ... and well, last years game we don't even need to talk about ... This is probably my favorite team to see play the steelers. two MAC QB's going at it. The only thing that really concerns me about j-ville is the height of their receivers. Matt jones is 6'6 and reggie williams and ernest wilford are both 6'4

klick81
09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Let's hand them their first loss :cool:

19ward86
09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
i think he will be the key to their game on monday, no offense to fred taylor because fred is a top back but our D is hard to run against.

BBC
09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
The only way I see Byron being an 'obstacle' is when Troy is returning his second pick for a touchdown.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Here is Byron's stats from the two games he has played against the Steelers in his career.

2004-268 yards 1TD/0INT and completed 59 percent of his passes.
2005-177 yards 1TD/1 INT and completed 54 percent of his passes.

It seems Bryron really hasn't had any problems with our defense. Sure those are not eye popping numbers. But our defense has made QB's look much worse then that. The whole key to the game will be pressure on Byron. He has been sacked 5 times in the two games. I don't see Fred Taylor doing anything against our defense. I know some of you are not worried about the Jaqs height at WR. I think that could prove to be troublesome if Leftwich has the time to throw accurate balls.

I still see the Steelers winning this game though. Especially with Big Ben back. By the way it feels like forever since we last played. I hate all this time between games.

Steelers
09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Everyone still remembers this game from last season and will be looking to end it differently this time around. Black and Gold all the way.

CrimsonSteeler3443
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I cant wait til Monday.

GO STEELERS

SteelersNationsfl
09-15-2006, 07:24 PM
I like to look at Leftwich more as a sandwich and our defense as a really hungry guy. I'm looking forward to seeing the defense we saw in the 4th quarter of the Miami game last week. Going into this game with that type of momentum is a plus.

SteelersNationsfl
09-16-2006, 10:37 AM
I killed this thread :crutches:

stillers4me
09-16-2006, 12:48 PM
"I don't fear nobody now," Leftwich said. "I respect [Porter] a lot. But I don't think nobody fears nobody. I understand what type of great player he is ... but to say I fear him? I fear no man."

Well educated, too.