PDA

View Full Version : How will our secondary match up against J-ville???

paw-n-maul-u
09-15-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty confident in the steelers on this game regardless who is underneath center (as long as it's not maddox:dang: ) ... however, one thing that does concern me is the height of the jacksonville recievers ... matt jones is 6'6 and wilford and williams are both listed at 6'4 ... I think the tallest player in the secondary that we have is 6'0ish ... any thoughts?

HometownGal
09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm pretty confident in the steelers on this game regardless who is underneath center (as long as it's not maddox:dang: ) ... however, one thing that does concern me is the height of the jacksonville recievers ... matt jones is 6'6 and wilford and williams are both listed at 6'4 ... I think the tallest player in the secondary that we have is 6'0ish ... any thoughts?

Ummmm - need I remind you that Maddox is no longer a Steeler, so why bring him up? Put the past where it belong - in the PAST and move on. :dang:

I don't think height should be a major concern here. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, as the saying goes. I think our secondary can and will handle them, but remember - Leftwich has to have time to look for one of them and toss the pigskin- if the Steelers put pressure on him early and often, he's bound to hurry those throws, leading to mistakes. I'm more concerned about the Jags D than I am their O.

Steel12
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Jump balls are always a concern when you have tall receivers and short corners. We just can't leave Townsend in one on one situations. I trust Ike to handle his...

HburgXL06
09-15-2006, 09:42 AM
If Leftwich is constantly feelin pressure from the D-Line (ie: Porter, Farrior, Foote down his throat) then he will be unable to get comfortable in the pocket (and prolly flushed out) and become more prone to throw under-confident passes....which are more prone to become interceptions. I'll admit our secondary could use some reinforcement or just some more "fire." However when sync'd together the D-Line pressure and an interception hungry secondary the Steelers can do a lot of damage.

The Jags D is a bit of a worry. Bein that the Steelers don't have an over 6 ft. receiver they will have to play smart wit the passin game keepin the jags guessin on who (Ward, Wilson, Washington, Holmes, Miller, Parker, Haynes, Staley) is goin to the the ball to put it downfield.

BuFu

tony hipchest
09-15-2006, 10:43 AM
just to clear things up cb ike taylor is 6'1" (one of the taller and bigger cb's in the league) and wr nate washington is like 6'2". ike talyor was talking about facing taller wr's this week on sirius radio. lebeau has him coached up. he knows what to do and the techniques to use (play the back shoulder)

no worries. thats not to say matt jones wont score. he is such a freak he should be able to score a touchdown every game. in this case keeping him out of the endzone or big plays really comes down to gameplanning. his td against the steelers last year was simply an amazing play on the ball.

Rotty3749
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I would have to agree that Matt Jones is th up and coming future star for the Jags, being in Jax myself I have seen many games on how Matt Jones plays. Although it is reported he is a fast reciever, I have yet to really see him burn a corner during the season. He really excels over the middle and all we need to do is have good ole polamalu or joey porter just pop him a good one and slow him down a bit. Other than that Wilford is on the rise, but still very young and drop many passes. As long as we stop Matt Jones then I can see us dominating in the secondary.

stlrtruck
09-15-2006, 11:23 AM
thats not to say matt jones wont score. he is such a freak he should be able to score a touchdown every game.

Sounds like a Fantasy Football Leaguer to me (lol)!

Truly, I don't think we'll have too much of a problem with the taller receivers. It's not like we haven't faced tall WRs before and we'll face them again. It's not about the size of a player, it's about the execution of the team. I feel that our Defense definitely outplay their Offense.

I also believe that their D (as good as it can be) will not be able to go 60 minutes with our Offense.

HburgXL06
09-15-2006, 11:32 AM
just to clear things up cb ike taylor is 6'1" (one of the taller and bigger cb's in the league) and wr nate washington is like 6'2". ike talyor was talking about facing taller wr's this week on sirius radio. lebeau has him coached up. he knows what to do and the techniques to use (play the back shoulder)

Thanks for the info, I knew Ike was a decent size but I didn't know Washington's height. Hearin that encourages me as to his possible effectiveness. He has already made a few big plays and at this rate, as I predicted, he is goin to have a break out year wit the Steelers.

BuFu

Midnightwriter07
09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
If i was jacksonville.. I would just not run it ... use F Taylor out of the backfield for passes and just throw every down on us.. Teams that do that have success and no way our secondary can handle it. Why team try running out of the gate and get into 3rd and 5 or 7 and then pass i dont know why. Using F Taylor like that on short dump passes i think would be more effective for them.....

19ward86
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
i dont see it being too big of a problem as long as we sign kordell stewart and put pressure on byron.lol.........jk.......dont........lol........ .im serious, dont!

HometownGal
09-15-2006, 01:58 PM
If i was jacksonville.. I would just not run it ... use F Taylor out of the backfield for passes and just throw every down on us.. Teams that do that have success and no way our secondary can handle it. Why team try running out of the gate and get into 3rd and 5 or 7 and then pass i dont know why. Using F Taylor like that on short dump passes i think would be more effective for them.....

The Jags are a pretty well balanced offense combining the run with the pass, but they may be forced into favoring the pass a little more because I just don't see Freddie gaining too many yards on the ground against our front line. The Steelers need to pressure the hell out of Leftwich, as he is pretty much a statue, so that he is forced into hurrying those throws.

Midnightwriter07
09-15-2006, 03:16 PM
ohh i would see them passing alot as well.. like i said, if i were them or any other team i would just come out throwin and stay with it ( even if the screen that gets 3 or 4 yards ) .. sooner or later something will break ... i just dont get why teams even run it .. we have allowed one 100 yards rusher in the past 2 seasons... and 1 game into this year.. taylor may get some yards, i just think they would be more effective doing that all game.

4n2t0
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
ohh i would see them passing alot as well.. like i said, if i were them or any other team i would just come out throwin and stay with it ( even if the screen that gets 3 or 4 yards ) .. sooner or later something will break ... i just dont get why teams even run it .. we have allowed one 100 yards rusher in the past 2 seasons... and 1 game into this year.. taylor may get some yards, i just think they would be more effective doing that all game.

You've gotta to be kidding? Not run the ball? This ain't the Eagles! Among many other factors have you ever considered time, fatigue, and interceptions? Please don't ever coach football of any kind in the near or distant future lol.

Midnightwriter07
09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
if you read my post before.... i didnt say that Jax is goingto pass all game.. i said they SHOULD pass all game as well as every other team..... I think the Miami game would have been a whole diff story if they would have used the short passing game instead of the run.. we allow teams to throw short and get 6-8 yards pretty easy... That was my point i was making. And if Taylo doesnt get going, then yes i see them throwing alot.. they have the WR and QB to do so.

4n2t0
09-15-2006, 04:30 PM
if you read my post before.... i didnt say that Jax is goingto pass all game.. i said they SHOULD pass all game as well as every other team..... I think the Miami game would have been a whole diff story if they would have used the short passing game instead of the run.. we allow teams to throw short and get 6-8 yards pretty easy... That was my point i was making. And if Taylo doesnt get going, then yes i see them throwing alot.. they have the WR and QB to do so.

In bold is my point, you're wrong. They shouldn't pass all game and they won't.

SteelCzar76
09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
In bold is my point, you're wrong. They shouldn't pass all game and they won't.

I believe the point he's trying to make 4n2,...is that teams would have far more success against us by spreading the field. (especially early) Coach Lebeau protects our corners with our front seven.
By spreading the field with the pass,...... they could perhaps disrupt some of the things we like to do with our blitzing scheme. Yes,... you normally kill blitz's by running effectively,..but you can't play ball control with us because we will not allow it. (running productivley)
And needless to say,....if you take enough shot's at Dshea and Ike you WILL,....have far more success against us,....you exploit weakness then you destroy strength.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

4n2t0
09-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I understand.