PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated steelers player

Al778416
09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Seems to me that everytime people talk about the steelers secondary, we hear the names of Polamalu, Taylor and who's gonna replace Chris Hope, but Deshea Townsend has done a heck of a job since he replaced chad scott and/or dewayne washington. Those guys were a nightmare , they always gave up a big play on clutch time.
I think Deshea and Aaron smith are the most underrated Steelers players.

Anyone agrees?

Rotty3749
09-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I would have to agree with you about Townsend and Smith, but a guy who I have noticed who seems not to be talked about anymore is James Farrior. The was Defensive MVP 2 years ago and a huge reason for the 15-1 record. The guy is solid every game, but has the quiet persona and mentality that doesn't do anything for the press.

Midnightwriter07
09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Good Q... nice post,

I think our whole secondary is overrated so although i agree with Townsend being underrated.. i think that the two inside LB's are probably the most on the team.. I love all of our players and even though you hear foot and farrior name called on plays ... what they do each and every play prolly doesnt get as much attention as it should.

I think both of those guts do a hell of a job and have each and every week, there are a handful of players could mention for this post, but i would have to give the nod to those two guys.

Mosca
09-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Dan Kreider.

The reason the Steelers offense is what it is is that they have an extra lineman coming out of the backfield when they need one.

Tom

noto45
09-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Smith by far!!!

83-Steelers-43
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Aaron Smith

IA Stiller
09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Krieder. Every TV commentator seems to mention that Smith is the most underrated player on the team, which, to me, makes him a little "rated". I agree Smith is underrated, but no one ever mentions krieder except the one or two times he touches the ball a year.

HometownGal
09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Great job guys - I have to agree with all of those selections, but especially Farrior. He is the signal caller for the D and gives 150% each and every game he plays. He is also a master motivator, a locker room fave and a very good all-around LB. He was on fire in last year's playoffs - I'm certain Peytoon sees Farrior's face in his nightmares. :cool:

SteelerFanInCA
09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
I'd have to go with Kreider as well. Although he is one of the best in the league he doesn't get much love.

19ward86
09-15-2006, 02:55 PM
tommy maddox............clark haggans, he almost had double digit sacks last season but he got injured, last year was his breakout season and this season will be 15 sacks, as for tommy maddox he will never play football again, his kids wont play with him.

19ward86
09-15-2006, 02:56 PM
his wife wont play with him either, keep ur mind out of the gutter.

SteelCzar76
09-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Aaron, Danny, Hamp and Foote (to a degree).

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

MattsMe
09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
St. Pierre, without a doubt. :sofunny:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Aaron Smith

steelcity984
09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
until recently, ike taylor.

FSUBoo
09-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I personally don't think that there are several vastly underrated players on the steelers roster. One, after last weeks game, I will definitely say that Charlie Batch is underrated. Had Tommy Maddox been put in some of the situations that Batch was in, I think that the outcome of the game probably would have been different. I agree that Kreider doesn't get any love. I will admit that I made a joke to my brother that is a Dolphins fan, when Kreider had the catch against Miami, that Kreider doesn't usually get touches until the 8th-10th week of the season. I know he gets pro bowl invites, but I don't think that the defense would be nearly as good if we didn't have Casey Hampton playing in the middle of the d-line. Also, I think that Bryant McFadden has made our secondary stronger. I know he isn't a starter, but he is someone that can cover the 3rd option on an offense on a regular basis. I think that until recently (i.e. the big contract he recieved) that Ike Taylor never recieved the credit that he deserved. I know he doesn't catch many interceptions, but it has to say something when you have 25 pass defenses in one season and leads the league in that defensive category. Also I think that our kicking game, both kicker and punter, are underrated. Jeff Reed has become a reliable kicker and figured out how to kick on the tough Heinz field turf. Chris Gardocki has never had a punt blocked in his long NFL career. That allows the team to never give up great field position on a block. Gardocki has one of the fastest catch snap-to getting the punt away in the NFL. I think that all of these guys need to get their due.

Busforever
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Chris Gardocki! No one talks about punter (because no one wants to). But he is pretty good, and when you play run and defense, it's important to have a good punter to establish field position.

4n2t0
09-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Aaron, Danny, Hamp and Foote (to a degree).

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

Hampton is a good pick, he turns lb's into NFL stars. Faneca, Krieder, Smith, and Roethlisberger round out my top 5 (Some still think that Ben means little to the Steelers success, I disagree).

FSUBoo
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I personally think that there are several vastly underrated players on the steelers roster. One, after last weeks game, I will definitely say that Charlie Batch is underrated. Had Tommy Maddox been put in some of the situations that Batch was in, I think that the outcome of the game probably would have been different. I agree that Kreider doesn't get any love. I will admit that I made a joke to my brother that is a Dolphins fan, when Kreider had the catch against Miami, that Kreider doesn't usually get touches until the 8th-10th week of the season. I know he gets pro bowl invites, but I don't think that the defense would be nearly as good if we didn't have Casey Hampton playing in the middle of the d-line. Also, I think that Bryant McFadden has made our secondary stronger. I know he isn't a starter, but he is someone that can cover the 3rd option on an offense on a regular basis. I think that until recently (i.e. the big contract he recieved) that Ike Taylor never recieved the credit that he deserved. I know he doesn't catch many interceptions, but it has to say something when you have 25 pass defenses in one season and leads the league in that defensive category. Also I think that our kicking game, both kicker and punter, are underrated. Jeff Reed has become a reliable kicker and figured out how to kick on the tough Heinz field turf. Chris Gardocki has never had a punt blocked in his long NFL career. That allows the team to never give up great field position on a block. Gardocki has one of the fastest catch snap-to getting the punt away in the NFL. I think that all of these guys need to get their due.

Sorry I didn't mean to have the "don't think"in there. Thanks

calell83
09-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Dan Kreider.

The reason the Steelers offense is what it is is that they have an extra lineman coming out of the backfield when they need one.

Tom

If we ever gave him the ball he would make the Pro Bowl without a problem...he is a beast blocking...it is almost as fun to watch him block as it is to wacth Willie Run