PDA

View Full Version : Alexander says forget it, not playing...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-05-2005, 09:49 PM
KFFL News of Note
Alexander Will Not Sign Franchise Tender

Jose Miguel Romero, of the Seattle Times, reports Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander said again he won't play unless he gets a long-term contract, but he remains confident that will happen. If not, Alexander is prepared to sit and wait, even into the regular season. Alexander said signing the team's $6.32 million franchise tender is "out of the question." When asked if it will come down to not playing without a long-term deal, he replied, "Pretty much, yeah."

Alexander denied he and Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren have a bad relationship. Alexander said he wanted to have his contract extended earlier in his career. "I told them three years ago that I love playing here and let's do something now. Let's meet," Alexander said. "It was just me and Mike [Holmgren]. There were no agents involved. I said, 'You know what? My wife's here. My family's here. I want to be here until I retire. It's really funny because back then I would have worked for peanuts." The Seahawks are forbidden to reopen negotiations with Alexander until July 15, per NFL rules.

makaveli_steeler36
07-07-2005, 12:23 AM
i dont like this guy anymore...players who p[lay for the money only is a disgrace to the game and should be banned from the nfl

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2005, 12:57 AM
He's definately got a bug up his ass about this.. Why not just play this year for the big cash, and then go somewhere else next year if they dont want to show you the money. If you're that good, he'll have offers out the wazoo next year to choose from!

Prosdo
07-07-2005, 01:07 AM
He's definately got a bug up his ass about this.. Why not just play this year for the big cash, and then go somewhere else next year if they dont want to show you the money. If you're that good, he'll have offers out the wazoo next year to choose from!

Some of these players seem to like to test their team. How important am I or how much can I get? I agree if he doesn't like what their paying him and he thinks he deserves more than play your best this season and let the offers roll in next season.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2005, 01:23 AM
He's definately pushing his limits w/ them. U can take this as either he really wants to stay w/ the 'hawks and wants them to reward him for his performance, or u can take it as, if u dont want me long term, then I dont want any of your money and I'll take my toys and go home.

bengalsfan21
07-07-2005, 02:39 AM
He's definately pushing his limits w/ them. U can take this as either he really wants to stay w/ the 'hawks and wants them to reward him for his performance, or u can take it as, if u dont want me long term, then I dont want any of your money and I'll take my toys and go home.

But a back of his caliber can go any where and get what he wants...Why settle for a one year tender when he can go else where and get a signing bonus worth more then the tender

Prosdo
07-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Good point. I think this quote from the article "'You know what? My wife's here. My family's here. I want to be here until I retire." Is one of the things keeping him from doing that.

atlsteelers
07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
if it was me i would hold out, the real money is in the signing bonuses. when teams hit you with the franchise tag you get no signing bonus and thats where the real money is ask egdrin james every year the colts hit with the franchise tag. so he is now he pass his prime and would never get a 10-12 million dollar signing bonus that hines ward is after.

WHODEY2005
07-07-2005, 12:23 PM
If I was a player I would hate the tag too. Personally, I hope he does hold out, and can come home to play some day.

bengalsfan21
07-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Man and to think I thought you were cool :buttkick: ....We got Rudi and Perry...If we didn't want Rudi we wouldn't have given him a big contract when he kept asking for one, now if Alexander don't get a contract he is obviously not wanted, so go somewhere else....It seems as if the Seahawks have other priorities other then signing a great back.... What I would do is hold out and let them see they don't have a ground game with out me, and if some how they have good rushing numbers I take my ass to minnesota get a big contract, move my family and be happy for 6-7 years with my 25 million signing bonus.. :D

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
If he wants to stay in seattle so badly, then why go thru all the BS of holding out and missing time. All you do is create a barrier between urself and the coaches, your fellow players and the fans. Nobody likes a holdout, especially if u profess to wanna stay where u r and finish you're career.

I agree he can get alot in a signing bonus, but he can still make a nice chunk of change this year for 1 year, and then go for the big bux next year.

bengalsfan21
07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
If he wants to stay in seattle so badly, then why go thru all the BS of holding out and missing time. All you do is create a barrier between urself and the coaches, your fellow players and the fans. Nobody likes a holdout, especially if u profess to wanna stay where u r and finish you're career.

I agree he can get alot in a signing bonus, but he can still make a nice chunk of change this year for 1 year, and then go for the big bux next year.

Come next year they will tag him again....Teams will tag a player as much as possible to avoid a bonus....it usually only works 1-2 seasons tops...Best thing for him to do is get it over with this season.

WHODEY2005
07-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Man and to think I thought you were cool :buttkick: ....We got Rudi and Perry...If we didn't want Rudi we wouldn't have given him a big contract when he kept asking for one, now if Alexander don't get a contract he is obviously not wanted, so go somewhere else....It seems as if the Seahawks have other priorities other then signing a great back.... What I would do is hold out and let them see they don't have a ground game with out me, and if some how they have good rushing numbers I take my ass to minnesota get a big contract, move my family and be happy for 6-7 years with my 25 million signing bonus.. :D

If we could trade Rudi for Shaun, I'd be all over it. I still don't feel Chris Perry will ever be productive, and I don't see him long term. On the other hand, I've known Shaun for a long time, so I'd love to have him and his family back home in Cincy. If that meant we got rid of Perry and made Rudi a backup, I could live with it, but it ain't gonna happen :chug:

clevestinks
07-08-2005, 08:24 PM
I just hate when a player doesn`t give at all. get what you can, YES. But don`t go as far as breaking the bank!

bengalsfan21
07-09-2005, 12:04 AM
I just hate when a player doesn`t give at all. get what you can, YES. But don`t go as far as breaking the bank!

If you put in 60 hours at work and are supposed to clear 750.00 that week but your boss says hey we are going to pay you less right now bc we have other ppl who need paid to, are you going to except it or will you bitch and moan...I personally would bitch and moan, I want to be paid what I am worth just as he Alexander does.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-09-2005, 12:23 AM
its a cat n mouse game. Im gonna hold out if u dont gimme what I want... ok, we'll talk about it later.. ok how much later... when we say so... thats not good enough...

bengalsfan21
07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
its a cat n mouse game. Im gonna hold out if u dont gimme what I want... ok, we'll talk about it later.. ok how much later... when we say so... thats not good enough...

They need to be on one page... A player wants paid now, where as a team will hold off as long as possible... Kurt Warner for example, 2 teams later and he still hit the Rams for 6 million this year...

clevestinks
07-09-2005, 08:56 AM
If you put in 60 hours at work and are supposed to clear 750.00 that week but your boss says hey we are going to pay you less right now bc we have other ppl who need paid to, are you going to except it or will you bitch and moan...I personally would bitch and moan, I want to be paid what I am worth just as he Alexander does.

I don`t think thats a fair example! You can have five linemen in front of him, busting thier asses, yet there making a quarter of what he is. Is that fair? Where not talking hourly wages here, these guys are already set for life. Fair market value, yes. But don`t jeopardize the team, I thought it was about winning??? For some.

bengalsfan21
07-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I don`t think thats a fair example! You can have five linemen in front of him, busting thier asses, yet there making a quarter of what he is. Is that fair? Where not talking hourly wages here, these guys are already set for life. Fair market value, yes. But don`t jeopardize the team, I thought it was about winning??? For some.

I agree but if your a manager somewhere you have people working under you busting thier asses making sure you don't lose your job....It's a matter of the position you play if Bettis was doing this or Staley would you want them to say no only one year deal or your gone, no you would bitch and rant along with the player....My point is if they want a high caliber HB on the team they need to pay for him, and if they believe HB are a dime a dozen (which they are not) then let him go elsewhere and sign a cheap one.
And my statement is a fair example, what they do and what we do for a living is didfferent which is a big difference in pay..You adjust your lifestyle to how much money you make just like me or anyone else and the fact someone is an athlete doesn't mean they don't adjust thier lifestyle to how much they make.