PDA

View Full Version : Ben should not have started

Infamix
09-18-2006, 11:44 PM
IMO, he should not have. He was missing too many open recievers and just seemed to be sick in general. The outcome would have probably been the same if Batch started because of the Jacksonville D, but I think giving Ben a little more time to rest would have been better.

OX1947
09-18-2006, 11:46 PM
If there was a game to lose, it was this one. Its the second game of the year, on the road and against a non division opponent. Besides, Jags played D like animals for 60 min. Our defense played Super Bowl Caliber Defense as well. We'll back next week and beat Cincy, and we will be ok....

Tim
09-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Truthfully, with as good as the Jags defense played, I really don't think CB would have fared any better.

IMO, Cowher sank this game for us. Too damn conservative. Cowher should take some notes from Del Rio tonight. They kept the heat on while we played the field-position game.

HEREWEGO
09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
after halftime Batch should have gone in

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah, let's send Ben in against Cinci. Dude, he was healthy enough to play. You play him. Are you the team doctor? Are you the training staff? NO.

We played a good team. We played against a damn good run defense. Accept it. We lost a game. All is not lost.

Rush58
09-18-2006, 11:49 PM
IMO, he should not have. He was missing too many open recievers and just seemed to be sick in general. The outcome would have probably been the same if Batch started because of the Jacksonville D, but I think giving Ben a little more time to rest would have been better.

I agree, but the gameplan did not help. We tried over and over again to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down, leaving Ben with 3rd and long. Cowher needs to understand that we are not a dominant run team any longer.

SteelersNationsfl
09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I agree with the guy that said Batch wouldn't have faired any better. We'll be fine.

Livinginthe past
09-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Weird logic - surely its better to play Ben if you would have lost with Batch in anyway.

Somethings remain a constant - the Steelers need at least the threat of a run game to get the passing game going.

Ben was rusty and his WR corps is inexperienced.

Look on the bright side, that 60 mins will get Ben sharper and back closer to game fitness - if you are going to get shut out - its better it happens early in the season.

Alot of Steeler fans on here lose faith after a single loss.

NM

Eztarget
09-18-2006, 11:53 PM
If it's true he had a 104 fever then that's a STUPID call by the Steelers coaches.

Love hearing the fans in Jax ... let's see how loud they are in January.

83-Steelers-43
09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I'd rather have seen Ben play against Jax in his first game back and get playing time for Cinci rather than play his opener against Cinci.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Ben needed to get out there and play a full game....He will be fine for next week.....
Its only 1 loss and even though we were shut out our defense did a great job... held them to 3 field goals.....thats pretty good

SteelersNationsfl
09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
I'd rather have seen Ben play against Jax in his first game back and get playing time for Cinci rather than play his opener against Cinci.

I totally agree with you on that. Furthermore I think that we needed a loss to smack us back down to earth and realize that we gotta get back to work and win some games this year. We are at square one like everyone else. Sometimes you just gotta loose to find out what you did wrong to focus on your weak points to make yourself stronger. We gotta focus on the Bungles and play next week then we get a bye week. We'll be perfectly ok.:tt02:

Steelersfan4life0655
09-19-2006, 12:00 AM
well i didnt really want big ben to play tonight, especially running a 104 temp. during the game. kinda of a reality check that when someone shut you out in a game and that will be the motivation for this sunday when we play the bungles, to fire up the offense and the defense.

meanjoecoop
09-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Are they trying to play Parker like he's the bus? Was Davenport dressed for the game?

SteelerMurf
09-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah, let's send Ben in against Cinci. Dude, he was healthy enough to play. You play him. Are you the team doctor? Are you the training staff? NO.

We played a good team. We played against a damn good run defense. Accept it. We lost a game. All is not lost.

Ben had to get his reps in this week. You can't sit him another week. You think his timing was bad tonight....give him another week without live action.

Problem with the Pros, they don't go full speed in practice once camp breaks. Ben saw no live action since about 4 weeks ago.

Rotorhead
09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
It looked to me that they were trying to pass to set up the run, which I think is a good idea. Unfortunately Ben was out of sync with his receivers, if he was than Ward would have had a TD! I hate losing, however I am glad this is the game for Ben to shake off the rust instead of the Bungles game so it is not too bad. I just hope the surgery is fine after that last big hit Ben took.

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 12:08 AM
If it's true he had a 104 fever then that's a STUPID call by the Steelers coaches.

Love hearing the fans in Jax ... let's see how loud they are in January.

If Ben had a 104 degree fever he should have been hospitalized - a temperature around 104? F or above is considered a high fever, and delirium or convulsions may occur.

Our QB is the best but when it comes to his health he has a vivid imagination (e.g. - broken toes in the AFC championship loss to New England). I assume the source of the 104 degree fever was Ben

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 12:11 AM
If Ben had a 104 degree fever he should have been hospitalized - a temperature around 104? F or above is considered a high fever, and delirium or convulsions may occur.

Our QB is the best but when it comes to his health he has a vivid imagination (e.g. - broken toes in the AFC championship loss to New England). I assume the source of the 104 degree fever was Ben

Yeah.....what was left out of that statement. He supposedly had a 104 temperature at 2:00 this afternoon.

meanjoecoop
09-19-2006, 12:12 AM

Maybe he meant 100.4? Yep 104 degrees and you usually go unresponsive as your brain starts to boil in its own fluid. Figuratively speaking.

Stillers#1
09-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Weird logic - surely its better to play Ben if you would have lost with Batch in anyway.

Somethings remain a constant - the Steelers need at least the threat of a run game to get the passing game going.

Look on the bright side, that 60 mins will get Ben sharper and back closer to game fitness - if you are going to get shut out - its better it happens early in the season.

NM

I agree, I actually think this game will help us in the long run. They kind of needed a wake-up call. Ben needed to be in this game. He needed to shake off the rust, which was visible. I'm not happy with the outcome, but at least the "D" looked good.

Next week is the big one. They will be ready, it's all good.

Livinginthe past
09-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Maybe he meant 100.4? Yep 104 degrees and you usually go unresponsive as your brain starts to boil in its own fluid. Figuratively speaking.

Thanks.

Thats right up there with the diagrams of Bens intestines as far as mental pictures go :wink02:

NM

meanjoecoop
09-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks.

Thats right up there with the diagrams of Bens intestines as far as mental pictures go :wink02:

NM

LOL...yeah those were great pics.

MyCuz64Furness
09-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks.

NM

I was cracking up when they put the diagram up about the appendectomy.....:sofunny: :sofunny: I think it goes under the TMI rule

Livinginthe past
09-19-2006, 12:19 AM
I agree, I actually think this game will help us in the long run. They kind of needed a wake-up call. Ben needed to be in this game. He needed to shake off the rust, which was visible. I'm not happy with the outcome, but at least the "D" looked good.

Next week is the big one. They will be ready, it's all good.

I said before the season that this offense has to evolve.

I honestly think the Steelers O-line is not the premiere run blocking unit some make it out to be.

There has to be the real threat of a pass to give Willie to room to run.

I really cant see Parker having any success going between the tackles against good teams - and even if he does pick up the yardage he is going to take an absolute pounding.

It remains to be seen whether Cowher persists with this Bettis type play calling - of course a helahty Ben will help him out a long way.

And yes, the D was excellent for the most part, just ran out of steam - they are an aggresive unit and cannot afford to spend that much time on the field.

NM

Rush58
09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
It looked to me that they were trying to pass to set up the run, which I think is a good idea.

What game were you watching? I was literally calling out the plays each down. Run 1st, Run 2nd, and throw on 3rd and long while they bring the heat.

klick81
09-19-2006, 12:35 AM

In a nutshell..

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-19-2006, 12:40 AM
after thinking about it for awhile........yes i think he should have started and played the entire game just like he did..

Rush58
09-19-2006, 12:42 AM

I honestly think the Steelers O-line is not the premiere run blocking unit some make it out to be.

NM

Right on the money. I couldn't have said it better myself. This team needs to become a passing team 1st. We need to pass on 1st and 2nd down. Not until the 4th, did we start to pass on 1st and 2nd down. A rusty Ben left with 3rd and long(s) was a recipe for disaster.

stunta86
09-19-2006, 12:44 AM

if the outcome would've been the same with batch, then ben should have started, because he needed this one game to get the rust out and play in a real game that counts, now when we play the bengals he'll have had that first game under his belt and he can move on. and it's been proven that his first game back from an injury doesn't go to well, and we have the bengals sunday, so i'm glad that isn't going to be his first game back

X-Terminator
09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
I can see both sides of the argument here, but in a game like this, if you have a chance to get Ben out there in some game action, then you do it. Let's face it - he has not played very much at all and needs time to shake off the rust and get into "game shape." It's better to do it now than to wait until next week or after the bye to get him in there. Plus, it's only week 2 and we were beaten by a team with a great defense. No shame in that.

stunta86
09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
I can see both sides of the argument here, but in a game like this, if you have a chance to get Ben out there in some game action, then you do it. Let's face it - he has not played very much at all and needs time to shake off the rust and get into "game shape." It's better to do it now than to wait until next week or after the bye to get him in there. Plus, it's only week 2 and we were beaten by a team with a great defense. No shame in that.

exactly why i am not to mad about this loss, the jags are a hell of a team, and they just beat us, wouldn't have mattered if batch was in there, maybe if cowher would've opened it up a little more and not play to lose we would've had a better chance but nothing we can do now, hats off to the jags for man handling our offense

and damn they got giant wide receivers, almost isn't fair lol

X-Terminator
09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Right on the money. I couldn't have said it better myself. This team needs to become a passing team 1st. We need to pass on 1st and 2nd down. Not until the 4th, did we start to pass on 1st and 2nd down. A rusty Ben left with 3rd and long(s) was a recipe for disaster.

They actually were passing on 1st down in their first drive, but I agree - they MUST become a better passing team if they're going to have a consistent offense. I also think that the conservative playcalling tonight was a direct result of Ben being rusty. Still though, they have to start opening up the offense - they don't have the personnel for a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense anymore.

Rush58
09-19-2006, 01:08 AM
They actually were passing on 1st down in their first drive

and that was our longest series. lol

Petesburgh66
09-19-2006, 01:22 AM
What game were you watching? I was literally calling out the plays each down. Run 1st, Run 2nd, and throw on 3rd and long while they bring the heat.

Your were not the only one. The offence was plain vanilla.

theropodx
09-19-2006, 01:44 AM
LOL!!! "Fans" saying Ben should not have played are seriously cracking me up. OMG, thanks for the laugh--I needed it after that game! Hey, also parker was stuffed, so he should go too! lol!

1 game dudes. 1 stupid game....

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 06:05 AM
What is really funny... ONCE again people are blaming Cowher and the play calling... but before it was Whiz who was a genius and definately our next coach in Steeler land because he is so brilliant. It wasnt long agao where when things look good, it was " its about time Cowher let Whiz make all the play calling " till we lose. Now all the sudden Whiz is not in equation lol ? Whiz was making the calls folks, not Cowher. Our offensice line .. not Cowher did not create one hole for Parker... and it isnt because you cant run against them at all.... Dallas run stats...

J. Jones 17 72 4.2 1 23

M. Barber III 3 13 4.3 0 8

we got outplayed people. Stop bitching about the coaches

We tried running outside, inside, a few screens and to me there linebackers and upfront guys just beat the crap out of our O line. Ben was healthy enough to play, he wanted to play and if the leader of your team wants to play... you let him play. The one thing that really gets me is fans who make excuses when they get beat.

We got outplayed in every area of the game, it wasnt for lack of effort. Upfront they manhandled us, Ben wasnt as accurate tonight, a few receivers dropped some balls and ran wrong routes, Although our D played very well for most of the game, we allowed them to covert on 3rd down passing once again which continued thier drives and lead to a few field goals.... Just accept the fact we got beat and outplayed. I am sure the players who actually played tonight will say the same thing.

Infamix
09-19-2006, 06:17 AM
I'm not making excuses for us getting beat, did you see the way Ben was bending over in pain after he got hit by Mike Peterson? I clearly stated that no matter who started, we would still lose especially because of how well Jacksonville's D played. It just seemed that Ben wasn't in sync and him being out there was just too high a risk.

floodcitygirl
09-19-2006, 06:22 AM
I'm not making excuses for us getting beat, did you see the way Ben was bending over in pain after he got hit by Mike Peterson? I clearly stated that no matter who started, we would still lose especially because of how well Jacksonville's D played. It just seemed that Ben wasn't in sync and him being out there was just too high a risk.As I said in another thread last night, Ben had to start. Would we really want next week to be his first game??? I'm just not sure he needed to stay in for the whole game.

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm not making excuses for us getting beat, did you see the way Ben was bending over in pain after he got hit by Mike Peterson? I clearly stated that no matter who started, we would still lose especially because of how well Jacksonville's D played. It just seemed that Ben wasn't in sync and him being out there was just too high a risk.

Yeah and i saw Troy all night running around with one useful arm... I guess he should not have played either ? Bad decision by coaches cause it was going to be very had for him to make any INT's and he wasnt making tackles very well either ....

Ben was healthy enough to play and so he played, He didnt look aweful.. just not sharp.. He didnt look sharp in the SuperBowl either and he wasnt hurt. It happens. This game tonight had nothing to do with Ben losing it because he played, Parker not breaking a long run or Holmes .. or Troy playing with one arm. We just got beat.

BlackNGold203
09-19-2006, 06:46 AM
This game tonight had nothing to do with Ben losing it because he played, Parker not breaking a long run or Holmes .. or Troy playing with one arm. We just got beat.

Thank God...SOMEBODY gets it.....

Sometimes...you just.....get.....beat.......

Justin Otstott
09-19-2006, 07:36 AM
I think playing Ben was good and well bad...good because he needs to play a full game anyways to get his groove back and bad because he was sick and what not...but again the Jags had great D...

stlrtruck
09-19-2006, 08:35 AM
It's true...we got beat and beat badly! Jacksonville brought not just the kitchen sink but the house too and we couldn't handle it. I give kudos to the jags for the way they played last night. They beat us at our own game.

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
As far as Ben being sick, the Post-Gazette says the "104 degree fever" was news to the Steelers trainers. Nothing new with Ben and the team having different positions on Ben's apparently chronic "health problems."

Wide receivers are generally regarded as the divas in today's NFL, but on this team it clearly is the QB, with yet another example being the ESPN pre-game report where Cowher allegedly stated whether Ben started was Ben's call and Ben allegedly saying it obvioulsy was Cowher's call.

The relationship between a head coach and franchise QB does not have to be smooth sailing (Noll-Bradshaw/Elway-Reeves) but it seems as if Cowher and Ben have an ongoing chippiness in their relationship.

Hard to argue with the results, but if Cowher leaves after this season I do not believe Ben will be shedding any tears.

Big D
09-19-2006, 09:14 AM
cheese and rice people why dont we get the madden cruiser and throw parker and ben under it.

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I am not throwing Ben under the bus - it was his first significant game action since the Super Bowl and the rust not surprisingly showed. Thta was something that was going to happen whenever he got his first start - practice cannot replace playing in game time conditions.

I am saying the ongoing drama about his alleged injuries is approaching joke status.

The motorcycle accident was a near tragedy and (obviously) nobody fakes an appendectomy, but incidents such as the alleged broken toes, alleged broken thumb, and alleged 104 degree fever support the conclusion Ben may have majored in theater at Miami of Ohio. I believe this facet of Ben's personality is not regarded by Cowher as a positive.

Infamix
09-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I am not throwing Ben under the bus - it was his first significant game action since the Super Bowl and the rust not surprisingly showed. Thta was something that was going to happen whenever he got his first start - practice cannot replace playing in game time conditions.

I am saying the ongoing drama about his alleged injuries is approaching joke status.

The motorcycle accident was a near tragedy and (obviously) nobody fakes an appendectomy, but incidents such as the alleged broken toes, alleged broken thumb, and alleged 104 degree fever support the conclusion Ben may have majored in theater at Miami of Ohio. I believe this facet of Ben's personality is not regarded by Cowher as a positive.

I kind of agree with that...Although the motorcycle accident and appendectomy were very unfortunate and not in Ben's hands, sometimes I feel he fabricates his injuries such as the thumb, fever, etc.

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Cook: Starting Roethlisberger was right call
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Don't even think it.

The Steelers weren't wrong to start and stick with Ben Roethlisberger against the Jacksonville Jaguars last night.

No, no, no, no.

It was the right call.

It just had the wrong ending.

Jaguars 9, Steelers 0.

The second-guessers aren't going to want to hear that, of course. They'll tell you it was too soon to play Big Ben, that there was no way that his game couldn't be off. He had to line up against an ornery Jaguars defense just 15 days after his appendectomy and still only three months-and-change after his horrific motorcycle accident. On top of that, he woke up in Pittsburgh Sunday morning, feeling rotten with a high fever, which, he said, wryly, "is to be expected with the black cloud I have over me these days."

That's a lot of trauma for one body.

But that's not what beat the Steelers last night. Sorry.

Who knew Big Ben's receivers were going to call in sick? His offensive linemen? His running backs?

They, as much as the Jaguars, ruined what could have been another magical chapter in the Roethlisberger story.

"We didn't help him out, that's for sure," tackle Max Starks said.

It's true, Big Ben had a lousy night, too, and his offense was shut out for the first time in his 32 career starts, 27 of which ended in wins. His numbers reflected it: 17 of 32 for 141 yards, two fourth-quarter interceptions and two sacks. His first interception, on a play in which wide receiver Santonio Holmes didn't appear to look for the ball, was a killer, setting up the Jaguars' clinching field goal.

"When you play as bad as I did, you get shut out," Roethlisberger said, predictably taking all blame, which is what every smart quarterback does.

"I just didn't make the plays I have to make. That's why I have to apologize not just to our offense, but to our defense. I couldn't make any plays on third down. I couldn't keep our defense off the field."

All of it is true.

But Roethlisberger had very little help.

His receivers didn't catch the ball, his linemen didn't handle that Jacksonville defense and his backs had nowhere to run.

The only good news on this lost night was that Roethlisberger was back. He came through the game OK physically and should be much better Sunday when the Steelers play host to the Cincinnati Bengals in this week's Game of the Year in the AFC North Division.

"Hopefully, I'll be a lot more comfortable," he said. "This was my first full game since the Super Bowl so it's been awhile."

It's nice to think Roethlisberger's supporting cast also will be better. It hardly can be worse.

In the scoreless first half, Cedrick Wilson, Hines Ward and Verron Haynes dropped passes. All should have resulted in drive-sustaining first downs.

"If we catch those, maybe we get into some kind of rhythm on offense," coach Bill Cowher said.

The Steelers never did run the ball with any effectiveness. Willie Parker's totals -- 11 carries for 20 yards -- were abysmal.

That's why it's hard to say the Steelers made a bad decision to start Roethlisberger.

There was never much doubt about it, at least not after Roethlisberger was cleared by the doctors and practiced all week, although that fever made everyone pause. Asked how he felt during the game, he said, "Not too bad ... No excuses."

Sure, because of the appendectomy, there was the tiny, tiny risk of a hernia. That's always an increased possibility when there's a weakness in the abdominal wall.

But Roethlisberger was willing to take his chances. It's not exactly a breaking story to say he's a tough kid and a fast healer. This is a guy who refused to miss a play at training camp after his face was surgically rebuilt six weeks earlier.

The Steelers also were willing to roll the dice. They love having Charlie Batch as a quality backup and he played very well in the opening game win against the Miami Dolphins. But there never was any thought of switching to him even in the second half last night. It's Big Ben's team. Cowher wanted to get him back onto the field as soon as possible so he could get used to the speed of the NFL game again. Roethlisberger played in three of the exhibition games, but that's not the same. If nothing else, the experience against the Jaguars should help him in the big game against the Bengals and for the rest of the season.

"I told coach, 'I'll be OK. Don't worry about me,' " Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to play better."

Roethlisberger has to play much better for the Steelers to beat the Bengals.

So do his teammates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06262/723084-87.stm

tony hipchest
09-19-2006, 09:52 AM

There has to be the real threat of a pass to give Willie to room to run.

NM

:huh:

a very maddenesque analysis there! :blah:

Infamix
09-19-2006, 09:53 AM
lol it is madden but it is true

tony hipchest
09-19-2006, 09:56 AM
the rust on ben was expected. he hasnt faced defensive pressure or a full game of action in about 7 months. better to knock the rust off this week than next. the cook article is spot on.

Infamix
09-19-2006, 10:01 AM
I never even realized it's been 7 months...wow

floodcitygirl
09-19-2006, 10:04 AM
While I agree that Ben had to start and even play most of the game, I'm not sure that he needed to stay in for the whole game. By the 4th qrtr he looked like he was hurting pretty good. Hopefully he'll have enough time in this short week to continue to heal up. For certain that he's going to have to have some help from the O to get the job done, as well.

tony hipchest
09-19-2006, 10:11 AM
While I agree that Ben had to start and even play most of the game, I'm not sure that he needed to stay in for the whole game. By the 4th qrtr he looked like he was hurting pretty good. Hopefully he'll have enough time in this short week to continue to heal up. For certain that he's going to have to have some help from the O to get the job done, as well. ben always looks like hes hurting pretty good. infact i dont think ive ever seen him complete a game without wincing in pain from a shot? remember the playoffs in indy when it looked like his shoulder was ripped off?

Grey
09-19-2006, 10:32 AM

That's exactly how I feel. The one thing I think was confirmed last night is that Ben doesn't do too well in his first game back from an injury. Gotta get him going again, and last night was the time to do it.

Here we go.
Grey

floodcitygirl
09-19-2006, 11:07 AM
ben always looks like hes hurting pretty good. infact i dont think ive ever seen him complete a game without wincing in pain from a shot? remember the playoffs in indy when it looked like his shoulder was ripped off?I think I understand what you're saying Tony, but the guy did just come off of abdominal surgery and he wasn't just wincing...he was doubled over. He wasn't being effective. The O wasn't getting it done. I just think that taking him out to allow him more time to heal up and avoid some hits 4th quarter may have been a good plan. But...obviously Cowher and Co didn't agree, so what do I know???

It's a done deal. I'm looking forward to Sunday. :jammin:

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 11:09 AM
That's exactly how I feel. The one thing I think was confirmed last night is that Ben doesn't do too well in his first game back from an injury. Gotta get him going again, and last night was the time to do it.

Here we go.
Grey

That seems to be the case with the majority of QB's who come back from an injury/surgery. There is going to be rust. Scary part, Ben wasn't the main problem on offense last night. Anybody bother watching our o-line? Anybody?

Anyways, we can't pamper the kid. Plus, Ben is a big boy. He's capable of telling the coach if he's ready to play or not. He's capable of telling the coach that he would like to come out of the game if he's hurting. I was happy to see Ben play the whole game. It will only help us next week against the Bengals.

Hell, if anybody should have sat out last night it was Troy.

BTW, thank you Mr. Cook.

JustaFan
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Personal observation, he was not as sharp as he we all hoped he would be, not so much from his most recent surgery & illness but from not playing enough in the preseason. He needed this game to get ready for next week against the bungals.

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Peter King from SI is in the Ben should have played camp

Thoughts on the Monday-nighter:

Don't blame Bill Cowher for starting Ben Roethlisberger. Once your No. 1 quarterback is cleared to play medically, he's cleared to play. If he's got a fever and is weak, that's one thing. But, obviously, Roethlisberger told Cowher he was ready to go, and unless the coach saw evidence to the contrary, you can't bench a guy for having a fever in the morning that had gone back down by game time.

Just a gut feeling, but I believe the same people who would rip Cowher for playing Big Ben too early would be the same ones to say next Sunday -- if Roethlisberger were to play poorly against Cincinnati -- that Cowher should have gotten Ben's feet wet when he was ready to play last week. I would not want the Cincinnati game to be my quarterback's first game back in the saddle in more than eight months.

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM

I would much rather have had Ben in to shake the rust off last night against the Jags receivers then throw him in with 2 weeks worth of rust against the Bengals receivers in a game that means a helluva lot more than last night's contest. Though Ben didn't play well overall - a rarity - I think almost any QB that would have played against that tough as nails Jags' defense last night wouldn't have fared much better. All cylinders were clicking for them and they were definitely on their game. This game not only benefitted the Jags in the W column, it clearly showed anyone who watched that game that they are most definitely a legitimate contender.

floodcitygirl
09-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Hell, if anybody should have sat out last night it was Troy.

I tend to agree with that too.

SteelerFanInCA
09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
It's good that Big Ben played. He needed the minutes before we take on the Bungals this week. It would have been the same result with Batch. Jags were on fire at home. Jags win that game regardless of what QB plays for us.

Come on, how many people out there thought Ben would be back to 100% after his latest lay off? You are kidding your self if you thought that. Ben will work his way back in to things. It's only one game and we will still be there contending for the Super Bowl in the end. Go Steelers!!!!!

Livinginthe past
09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
:huh:

a very maddenesque analysis there! :blah:

I can see 'scratchy head' emoticons are going to be the order of the day when the Steelers get beat.

If you think about it, both statements make sense - they are complimentary not contradictory.

The Steelers need to pass primarily and consistently at the beginning of the game to spread out the opponents D - thats gives Willie Parker room to manoevre.

By the same token I dont think anyone would mistake the Steelers WR corps for the Colts WR corps so its necessary for Willie to see plenty of the ball during the game in order to stop teams sitting back and forcing Ben to throw through them.

Balance is the key, I know it sounds simple and im sure its a hell of a lot harder to implement game time but I dont see many wrinkles in the offensive play calling to keep the other team unbalanced.

I would have liked to see more screens to Willie early, more than one deep bomb (that Hines Ward match up in the slot was made in heaven) - even a couple of more failed deep bombs would have stopped the jags clogging all the short passing lanes.

Its weird how the Steelers offesne can veer between the completely vanilla and amazingly creative with trick plays - I think a better balance can be found rather than these two extremes.

NM

Prosdo
09-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I still think they made the right decision in starting Ben. Ben needed to come back and knock the rust off. The Bengals are a division opponent. I rather he use the Jacksonville game to get back into the swing of things then the Bengals.

Livinginthe past
09-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I just had a quick look at the Steelers next 4 games - three of them are going to be real hum-dingers (@Atlanta and @San Diego and Cincy) and one of them will be tough but HFA should prove critical (LJ and the Chiefs)

If Ben was able to play last night then it made no sense to keep him on the sidelines - the Steelers are going to need a Ben at the top of his game to handle that challenge.

I think i'd take 2-2 out of that and hope for a 3-1 whether I was a Steelers fan or a Patriots one.

NM

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
With upcoming road games at San Diego and Atlanta the Cincy game on Sunday is huge - that is a 2 game swing in the division standings and a home loss in the division will be very troubling. Seeing as even I can grasp that, let's just assume Cowher knows the schedule and took that into account in deciding whether to rest Ben or bring him back when he did.

It would be nice to have had a cupcake on the schedule for Ben's return, but we can't very well sit Ben down until the Oakland game.

Rush58
09-19-2006, 04:30 PM
The Steelers need to pass primarily and consistently at the beginning of the game to spread out the opponents D - thats gives Willie Parker room to manoevre.

By the same token I dont think anyone would mistake the Steelers WR corps for the Colts WR corps so its necessary for Willie to see plenty of the ball during the game in order to stop teams sitting back and forcing Ben to throw through them.

Balance is the key, I know it sounds simple and im sure its a hell of a lot harder to implement game time but I dont see many wrinkles in the offensive play calling to keep the other team unbalanced.

I would have liked to see more screens to Willie early, more than one deep bomb (that Hines Ward match up in the slot was made in heaven) - even a couple of more failed deep bombs would have stopped the jags clogging all the short passing lanes.

Its weird how the Steelers offesne can veer between the completely vanilla and amazingly creative with trick plays - I think a better balance can be found rather than these two extremes.

NM

Wow, so right on the money. We cannot continue to be a run 1st offense. We must be a pass 1st offense and then bring in the run. That was the difference tonight. It's easy to be off on your throws when they are bringing the house on obvious passing downs.

clevestinks
09-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Ben needed to play! He needed snaps before getting to our divisional games this week

blackngoldbaby
09-19-2006, 04:31 PM

NM

Exactly im looking forward to next week i mean what else can u do but i do think it was a good idea to put ben in last night because it got him back in the game even though he was rusty he wont be next week would u have rather seen him come back next week a gainst a powerful bungle team n be rusty u can say what u want but i think it was a good idea if we were gonna get shut out its good that we got shut out at the begining of the season.

SteelersNationsfl
09-19-2006, 04:33 PM
It's amazing how quick we went from a run first offense to a pass first offense.

Rush58
09-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Ben needed to play! He needed snaps before getting to our divisional games this week

Ben needed to play but if we continue with this current philosphy, it won't matter. Running on 1st and second down will not help Ben against the Bengals. We have to develop the passing game. That means consistenly passing the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, so Ben doesn't get level on 3rd and long.

Hammer67
09-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Anyone who thinks Ben shouldn't have played seriously needs to really think about that for a sec. What NFL team would not play Roethlisberger if he was ready?

Don't forget, even though he did ok last week, Charlie Batch was 1-15 in his last season as a full time starter...

Think, folks.

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 04:56 PM
ben always looks like hes hurting pretty good. infact i dont think ive ever seen him complete a game without wincing in pain from a shot? remember the playoffs in indy when it looked like his shoulder was ripped off?

Gotta agree with you, Tony. This kid is extraordinarily tough as hell. If Ben was hurting to the point where he felt he couldn't finish the game he started, I can almost guarantee that Cowher wouldn't have kept him in there, as he is our franchise QB. We had our best shot to win that game with Ben behind center and there is no sense at all in shaking his confidence by pulling him midstream if he honestly felt he could play through his pain.

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Rust, not fever, affected Ben most, Cowher says
Temperature was 100.4, not 104, as some reported
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger had a little fever and not the high temperature reported on the Steelers-Jaguars broadcast yesterday on ESPN and in various other media outlets.

"The fever was 100.4," not 104, Steelers coach Bill Cowher said at his weekly news conference this afternoon. "Somebody miscalculated a decimal point."

Cowher added that he expects Roethlisberger to start again at quarterback Sunday against defending AFC North champion Cincinnati at Heinz Field. He expects him to play better than last night in Jacksonville, Fla., Roethlisberger's first game action since an Aug. 25 exhibition at Philadelphia. This third-year quarterback missed the Miami season opener after undergoing an emergency appendectomy Sept. 3 and made his first start of the season, completing 17 of 32 for 141 yards and two interceptions. He threw a career-high three against Cincinnati in a 38-31 loss at Heinz Field last Dec. 4.

Cowher ascribed Roethlisberger's performance to rust rather than the 100.4-degree fever (from "the common cold, from what I was told") or the recent appendectomy.

"I mean, I think it's just the fact that everything has gone on," the coach added of Roethlisberger, who previously made a comeback from his June motorcycle accident. "It was his first [regular-season] game out. When you go from the preseason to the regular season, everybody's going through the acclimation process. Then you come in the second week of the season, and they've been through that acclimation. He was probably behind in that.

"You know what, I thought he started the game, and threw some balls, pretty well. We were not in synch, and that will take time. It has been a case of circumstances have not allowed us to be in synch in practice, and sometimes that does carry over to games. We certainly have to get better as a whole. It was one game, but there are things we have to make sure we rectify over time."

Cowher said that safety Troy Polamalu played with an injured shoulder, and played rather well, when most NFL players could not have. He expected Polamalu to start again Sunday against the Bengals, who are 2-0.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06262/723133-100.stm

tony hipchest
09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
I can see 'scratchy head' emoticons are going to be the order of the day when the Steelers get beat.

If you think about it, both statements make sense - they are complimentary not contradictory.

NMcome on now. win or lose, when you hear the steelers wr corps is "inexperienced" you have to scratch your head considering they are going into their 9th and 6th seasons.

and yes, that was a complimentary maddenesque analysis:

*in my rumbley madden voice*

"you must have a realistic threat of moving the ball in order to move the ball"

Stillers#1
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
come on now. win or lose, when you hear the steelers wr corps is "inexperienced" you have to scratch your head considering they are going into their 9th and 6th seasons.

Maybe, we should use the words "inexperienced, playing together" I mean apart from Ward, Wilson, and Miller (if you want to include him) these recievers have played a total of, what, 4 games together. As far as that goes Wilson and Ward only have one year together.

klick81
09-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Cowher said that safety Troy Polamalu played with an injured shoulder, and played rather well, when most NFL players could not have. He expected Polamalu to start again Sunday against the Bengals, who are 2-0.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06262/723133-100.stm

That's defenitely good news :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah,that's it...let Cincinatti...the team with a score to settle against us...help Ben knock the rust off,real smart.You think they hurt Trent Green,I wouldn't be surprised to see the defense pushing the limit on roughing the passer against us.

The rust has been knocked off,and he was doing well when we were running the play action...then Cowher went to straight drop-back-and-pass and our passing game went kaputz.Next week,with an entire week of practice,Ben will be much sharper and looking like his regular self.

The Jacksonville defense played with fire for the entire 60 minutes.They were out to prove that theier record last year wasn't due to a soft schedule,but a good team.We couldn't run the ball on them at all,so that didn't help the passing game.It didn't help that Cowher didn't throw down the field much either.He played the field-position Martyball game,that is a big reason why we lost.

We wouldn't have won the game with Batch,so I would rather have lost it with Ben so he could get the rust off.

theropodx
09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I was thinking again today that last night's game was sooo close to a win. There were two plays--the bomb to Hines that was just off his fingertips, and the near interception by Troy in the red zone--that would have produced a win, imo.

And rust or no rust, six inches off happens from time to time on any given play. Enjoy the win Jags, it won't happen next time.