PDA

View Full Version : I knew miami was a fluke for parker ...

paw-n-maul-u
09-19-2006, 02:14 AM
I am still sticking by my gut feeling that parker isnt the answer to our running game ... he can't carry the load against top defenses a la jaguars ... j-ville was dropping into coverage and picked ben twice because we had no running game ... they don't have a bruiser to grind out the tough yards ... davenpooper is also not the answer, just a temporary solution for this year ... here is too michael bush next year falling to the steelers late in the first round ...

side note; this is not a thread giving up on the whole season ... tonight was just a bad game ... but i think you'll see a trend just like last year in parkers production against teams with even a halfway decent defense

Infamix
09-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Was it just me or did Parker have room to the outside sometimes and chose to cut in and get tackled right away?

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Maybe it is our O line ??? I didnt see any holes opened up and they were filled pretty damn fast... Sooo that mean our line is the one who didnt open up any thing for Parker? Tough to run the ball when nothing is there.

Infamix
09-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Maybe it is our O line ??? I didnt see any holes opened up and they were filled pretty damn fast... Sooo that mean our line is the one who didnt open up any thing for Parker? Tough to run the ball when nothing is there.

That's true too, I don't even think a "bruiser" would have been able to run between the tackles through those huge defensive lineman. I think the Pittsburgh fans need to get rid of BBS (big back syndrome)

BlackNGold203
09-19-2006, 06:21 AM
LMAO....

I've sorta kinda been waiting for a morning like this.....:sofunny: :sofunny:

Yeah..Parker's fault....Walter freakin Payton wasnt getting 50 yards on that Jax defense last night....

You people are unbelievable...:dang:

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 06:54 AM
OMG we didnt go undefeated ????

Fire the coaches, Whiz sucks, Cowher cant coach, Parker cant play, Holmes is already a bust.. Troy shouldnt play with 1 arm, our Line sucks, Ward is crappy cause he didnt make a catch he should have. Ben blows cause he threw two picks and had a crappy asss passer rating and was inconsistant, and got forbid he didnt run or scramble tonight to pick up a few first downs.

I hope that makes some of the people that needed to find excuses for us losing happy. Accept the fact is only second game of year. I am not ready to say Jax is the second coming of the 72 Dolphins, we just got outplayed by a team that defensively beat us up tonight..

I give alot of credit to our D as much as they were on the field tonight.. We couldnt sustain any drives to give them a break.. but that is why I dont think Jax is as good as we made them look. Our O line got humbled tonight.. they didnt do Parker any favors.

Justin Otstott
09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
yup the Jags just plain out had great D!!!!! That's what I seen last night....not Parker running into getting tackled....he tried but the Jags just had great D!

section514
09-19-2006, 07:32 AM
he had no where to run, LT, LJ, or alexander wouldn't have gotten more yards last night, that was teh o lines fault

ARKIESTEEL
09-19-2006, 07:34 AM
LMAO....

I've sorta kinda been waiting for a morning like this.....:sofunny: :sofunny:

Yeah..Parker's fault....Walter freakin Payton wasnt getting 50 yards on that Jax defense last night....

You people are unbelievable...:dang:

I agree with this 100%. Parker will bounce back this week

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 07:44 AM
What is it with some of you people? Two games into the season with one not-too-stellar offensive performance against a tough, gritty, hard-hitting D and you're ready to give up on our running game? The Dolphs' D is a fairly good unit and Parker ran for 115 on them. The Jags were up for that game, they were hungry to beat us (as most teams will be this season) and they manhandled our entire O, including the line, not just Parker & Haynes. You win as a team and lose as a team. Though the Steelers D played admirably by only giving up 3 FGs instead of 3 TDs, they were on the field most of the night and had to have been exhausted. We lost our first game of the season with 14 to go. I'm not giving up on our team or our running game at this very early point in the season.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I think parker will be fine........We do need that big back to change it up and I hope that will be Davenport............But lets face it..........The Jags D was on top of their game last night......

IamTheSteelGod
09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
I do agree that the Jags we shouting out the middle, but Parker was still trying to bang his way through. Quick backs need to bounce outside the tackles, Parker should not be a starting RB like many other quick backs Bennet a prime example.

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
O-line plays bad = Running game plays bad.

stlrtruck
09-19-2006, 08:51 AM
What else can be said? One bad game and people are ready to jump off the sunshine skyway bridge (do a google search on it - people in the tampa area use it to try to commit suicide).
As has been said - we got beat, it's one game, we move forward. Does everyone expect that every week Parker is going to get 100+ yards? Does everyone realize that not even Bettis got 100+ yards every week. Jags brought it to us and we didn't give it back except that our D didn't give up the TD.
We'll recover and do fine this week against the sissy's from cinci!

Big D
09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
i have to agree with the majority here. The jaguars did something the raiders should have done last week. They defended there home field on a prime time game. I'm not giving up on willie and i still think are offense will be a top 10 offense this year

sumo
09-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Was it just me or did Parker have room to the outside sometimes and chose to cut in and get tackled right away?

It's not just you -I was going to post this same comment- Parker is suspect with his decision making -- did you see the one carry he had for eight yards at the beginning of the 4th? -- That was the one time he bounced it outside and then he didn't even finish the run hard to get the first down -- he's trying to prove to everybody that he can pound it inside like the Bus used to ... you have 4.3 speed if there's nothing in the hole bounce it outside!!!! --you're not the BUS!! - every coach on the sideline should have been yelling this into his earhole -- and it wasn't sometimes - it was about every carry

SteelerFanInCA
09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Yep, it was all about the O line. It was not a very good performance by them. There are 16 games in a season people. Plenty of time to address and fix the issues. The Jags D played extremely well. We got beat by a good team, there's nothing more to say.

SteelerFanInCA
09-19-2006, 12:39 PM

That pretty much sums it up my friend.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Which, as I said in the other thread up there, is why we need a second option in the running game. We're not even trying for that right now.

We need to at least occasionally hand the ball to someone besides Parker, or he will get stuffed.

That person probably isn't Haynes, because he doesn't bring anything to the table that's all that different from Parker, except for having less speed.

I mean this in the most polite way but where exactly do you propose that we find that second option? It's not like shopping for a Ferrari. The only other option going into Week 3 is Kuhn if you call that an option. We took a receiver in the first round. So this is the bed we are sleeping in.

Teams aren't going to give out bonafide NFL No. 2s to just anyone let alone the defending SB Champs. So we are in an uncomfortable position of needing a passing game to open up the run.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
People need to lay off Willie Parker. Jerome Bettis in his prime couldn't gain any yards last night with the way our offensive line played. A very bad performance overall. Especially the right side.

ROETTI
09-19-2006, 03:11 PM

I think you hit it dead on. The "O" line got beat last night. This is the first time I've seen them get beat like that in a long time. Bet you rbottom dollar our boys will be out to redeem themselves next week. It's only week 2 guys, no need to throw up any caution flags just yet.

Davenport I think will give us that alternate runner, cause my feeling is HAynes isn't up to the challenge. He definitely didn't look like much of a reciever last night, but then again who did???

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Our O line got beat up ... and i really havnt seen it to that extent in a long time... so NO, i am not buying the Willie Parker isnt a # 1 runner crap... look at Dunn... Willie is twice as big as Dunn and LT isnt a huge back either. Willie is just fine... we just got our butts whooped up front is all, and Ben wasnt able to overcome that with his arm ( i am giving him a pass on this because is start of season and all he has been through ) ... but plain and simple... any blame on this game sits square on the assses of our O LINE ( shit happens sometimes)

Da Question
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM
ATT YDS TD LG
W. Parker 11 20 0 8

I agree the line had problems, but they just didnt give willie the ball.
11 carries. he is a speed back, capable of breaking big runs, you cant expect big bruns with under 20 carries. As a team we didnt even carry the ball 20 times. The jags took us out of our game and they really played a different type of game then we did against the dolphins. 0 rushing 1st downs. is not our game. plus we lost the T.O.P. battle. jacks just out played us, wore our defense down and kept our offense off the field. next week willie will break 100 again. End of story.. BANDWAGONERS !!!! lol

1st Downs 9 17
Rushing 0 3
Passing 7 13
Penalty 2 1
3rd-Down Conversions 3-13 6-18
4th-Down Conversions 0-1 0-1
Punts-Average 8-44.8 6-41.8
Return Yards 39 88
Punts-Returns 1-3 5-27
Kickoffs-Returns 2-36 1-21
Int.-Returns 1-0 2-40
Penalties-Yards 3-25 10-86
Fumbles-Lost 1-0 1-0
Time Of Pos. 22:35 37:25

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
BANDWAGONERS !!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth. You can add fairweathered and "what have you done for me lately" to those resumes, as well. Absolutely pathetic. :shake02:

SteelersNationsfl
09-19-2006, 04:20 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. You can add fairweathered and "what have you done for me lately" to those resumes, as well. Absolutely pathetic. :shake02:

Awesome! I was looking for more ways to say that and you summed it up for me.

blackngoldbaby
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM

Yeah I saw that as well too.

Da Question
09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
that the first thing that came to mind, If you dont believe in your team you must be on the band wagon.
there isnt a runner in the league who hasnt had a bad running game. the greatest ever been shut out. In my opinon walter payton and barry sanders best runners ever and i seen them get stopped before too, doesnt make them a fluke.

Sharkissle29
09-19-2006, 04:39 PM
willie had no room, u guys are crazy

paw-n-maul-u
09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
i can't believe this ... i posted this thread last night with even a side note explaining that this was in no way at all giving up on the running game, let alone the season for that matter ... I haven't liked parker from the start ... so he had a few flashy games last year and caught a backup safety out of position for a long SB run ... whoopdy freaking doo ... he couldnt even SPELL the word consistency let alone translate that to some sort of production on the field against even a halfway decent opponent ... and right now through two games parker has a 3.4 average ... zero TD's ... and only 1 run over 10 yards ... some gamebreaker he is there ... and don't forget that almost all his yards came against a miami defense that has looked not so impressive ... just like houston,tennessee,cleveland,cincy and minnesotas defense last year (the 5 games where he racked up about 2/3rds of his total yards then averaged like 45 yards a game after taht ... pathetic)

C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y

here's to michael bush in 2007 to hopefully get together something like Denver had last year w/bell and anderson ... bush and parker

sumo
09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
i can't believe this ... i posted this thread last night with even a side note explaining that this was in no way at all giving up on the running game, let alone the season for that matter ... I haven't liked parker from the start ... so he had a few flashy games last year and caught a backup safety out of position for a long SB run ... whoopdy freaking doo ... he couldnt even SPELL the word consistency let alone translate that to some sort of production on the field against even a halfway decent opponent ... and right now through two games parker has a 3.4 average ... zero TD's ... and only 1 run over 10 yards ... some gamebreaker he is there ... and don't forget that almost all his yards came against a miami defense that has looked not so impressive ... just like houston,tennessee,cleveland,cincy and minnesotas defense last year (the 5 games where he racked up about 2/3rds of his total yards then averaged like 45 yards a game after taht ... pathetic)

C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y

here's to michael bush in 2007 to hopefully get together something like Denver had last year w/bell and anderson ... bush and parker

I already replied to your post earlier, but I see everybody is getting on you -- the Steelers are going to kick ass this year -- but Parker is suspect - I don't know why more fans or coaches for that matter don't see it -- right now I see Parker as a change of pace back that can come in and give you a big play and maybe even a few 100 yard games -- but he has not been the consisitent every down back the Steelers need for their philosophy to work --- I have nothing but love for my Steelers for 30 years now and I will never jump off the band wagon!!! -- I hope MR Parker proves me wrong -- my prediction even with Parker struggling is a 12-4/11-5 season because the Steelers are that good of a team and organization -- always have been...

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
so he had a few flashy games last year and caught a backup safety out of position for a long SB run ... whoopdy freaking doo

Please tell me that this is a joke. Please? Am I reading yet another "what have you done for me lately" rant? I'll just bet you were cheering your wittle head off when Parker made that game-breaking Super Bowl TD run, weren't ya? :bash:

I don't know why more (fans or) coaches for that matter don't see it

Well, golly gee - I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks and we are spectators. :dang:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-19-2006, 06:32 PM
That's true too, I don't even think a "bruiser" would have been able to run between the tackles through those huge defensive lineman. I think the Pittsburgh fans need to get rid of BBS (big back syndrome)

I agree,The Bus wouldn't have gotten much yardage last night.

The o-line couldn't open the holes...I don't care how fast Willie is,he isn't getting anywhere if there is nowhere to go.

We couldn't run it,it doesn't matter who we could've had in the backfield.Then we ended up in a situation where we HAD to pass,so they knew they just had to drop into coverage because we weren't gonna run it.

sumo
09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=RoethlisBURGHer;152353]I agree,The Bus wouldn't have gotten much yardage last night.

The o-line couldn't open the holes...I don't care how fast Willie is,he isn't getting anywhere if there is nowhere to go.

We couldn't run it,it doesn't matter who we could've had in the backfield.Then we ended up in a situation where we HAD to pass,so they knew they just had to drop into coverage because we weren't gonna run it.[/QUOT

SteelCzar76
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Do we need a STUD workhorse back ? yes,.....but that's not to say Willie is not exceptionaly gifted. The Jags simply wanted it more than our ENTIRE offense did last night, (with the exception of Hines).... it's as simple as that. Should this have been the case ? NO,.....and unfortunatly this is what it takes for EVERYONE to learn as much. That being said,.......we move on and never let it happen again. To whom much is given,.......much is required and expected.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

sumo
09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Please tell me that this is a joke. Please? Am I reading yet another "what have you done for me lately" rant? I'll just bet you were cheering your wittle head off when Parker made that game-breaking Super Bowl TD run, weren't ya? :bash:

Of course I cheered when Parker made his run in the SB -- and you know where I was? Seattle on business -surrounded by 50 seahawks fans - almost got my ass kicked -- my vintage Lambert jersey got pelted with chicken wing bones -- what do you think - that I want Parker to flop so I'll be right? -- read my whole reply -- I hope he proves me wrong -- but IMHO, the Steelers would be 14-2, 13-3 again if they had a good every down back and Parker as a change of pace -- I was wrong in my post about the coaches not seeing it -- so you are justified with your 'golly gee' -- they do see it -- that's why Duce got so many carries in the pre-season - -they brought in Davenport etc -- regradless, they will still have a good season and be contenders ....because they're the Steelers:cheers:

Well, golly gee - I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks and we are spectators. :dang:

Where's the love?

beSteelmyheart
09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm looking at this game from a perspective of hoping they are pissed off about the way they lost last night. And you all know what happens when they get pissed off:jammin:

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
lol parker had 1200 yards last year and UNLIKE alot of guys who had more yards than him... we had Bettis who came in and took over at the end of games or when we were just running the clock down .alot of RB's get there yards on trash at the end of a game .. Bettis also took a few of those TD's away that Parker could have had ... so i think is rediculous for anyone to say he is not a good RB... Any player that can have a 4.7 yard average on 255 attempts is doing something right. I dont think anyone has said or will say that Parker is a Shaun Alexander or a Larry Johnson or Rudi Johnson or Clinton Portis.. but Willie has something that none of those guys do ... and he was a main reason for it ... SUPER BOWL RING.. so for now .. i will take my chances with Fast Willie and let it play out and see what happens.

Stlrs4Life
09-19-2006, 08:02 PM

No, the plays were called to where he was running. I will not give up on Parker. We gave up on the run too early. And, we didn't run to the outside enough.

paw-n-maul-u
09-19-2006, 08:17 PM

ofcourse i was cheering ... the steelers scored a touchdown ... i guess you are assuming that i cheer only for other steelers players ... tell me your response was a joke becasue obviously you were reading way too much into it, also given the fact that my original post had a side note at the bottom CLEARLY stating that this is not one of "THOSE RANTS" that you seem to believe everything is ... parker is just not suited to be an every down back ... he has an amazing gift of speed and a lot of talent but IMO the steelers didn't gameplan well lastnight/most of last year to use his talents correctly, mainly due to the fact that we dont have someone one our roster that can grind out the tough yards and wear a defense down ... parker should be the change of pace back to rip off a long run here or there after the opposing defense is dead tired from being pounded by a more capable every down back ... a consistent 4ish yard producer

... and please don't bring up that he had a 4.7 YPC last year which is very misleading to his actual breakdown of runs

CrimsonSteeler3443
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
This is only Willie's second year of starting. After about 4-5 more games of him doing bad like this I might think differently but as of now I have faith in the guy.

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
lol 4-5 games of this and then that means we need a new starting Offensive line

wadester47
09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
ok lets get a big grip.
1 bad game for parker, ben and co. who cares. WE always have a plan, We always come back and WE Will Beat dem BENGALS.

chill

SteelCzar76
09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
ofcourse i was cheering ... the steelers scored a touchdown ... i guess you are assuming that i cheer only for other steelers players ... tell me your response was a joke becasue obviously you were reading way too much into it, also given the fact that my original post had a side note at the bottom CLEARLY stating that this is not one of "THOSE RANTS" that you seem to believe everything is ... parker is just not suited to be an every down back ... he has an amazing gift of speed and a lot of talent but IMO the steelers didn't gameplan well lastnight/most of last year to use his talents correctly, mainly due to the fact that we dont have someone one our roster that can grind out the tough yards and wear a defense down ... parker should be the change of pace back to rip off a long run here or there after the opposing defense is dead tired from being pounded by a more capable every down back ... a consistent 4ish yard producer

... and please don't bring up that he had a 4.7 YPC last year which is very misleading to his actual breakdown of runs

TAKE IT EASY Paw. While you have a valid point in regards to us needing more options as far as power for our ground game,.... the bottom line is such,.....the past is just that.
We have to focus on everyone on offense becoming accountable for their duty at their position. There are no exceptions.
Willie will not dominate teams such as the Jags even with the O-line doing their job. But he's no "fluke" and our season is FAR from over. This is football,....they're are no Michael Jordan's. If you stumble in one aspect of your gameplan,.....you compensate with others.
Simply put,... you adapt and overcome.....and we just didn't do that.
Whether from our O-line, recieving corp's, Ben, the special teams, our Db's,.... or whomever,...it doesn't matter now. What does is that we understand this,.... and play that way,.....for the rest of the season.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

24seven
09-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Last night was a B team beating our A team cause we failed to capitalize on many many opportunities period. Like i said in another post.. If we don't bring our A game.. then we lose to Jags EVERYTIME>..... For some reason we fail to match there desire to win and I think it's due to our fame vs there annonimity. We best recognize our inablility to remain invincible forever and overachieve to stay in this race in the North cause before we know it we'll be keepin Cleveland company.. Good wake up call for us.. We still got some work to do but we know we have the team to do it.. We held with them the whole game and denying them a TD was a very nice feat indeed.. If anything we can take away positive is that.. Our D played 4 quarters but our O played 1/2.... Get another couple games under Ben and he'll find his groove.. Never has he come back from Injury and been the bomb.. Look at Cincy last year..he tanked.. not to mention a bumb thumb but still he wasn't completely ready.. Ben needs to learn when to sacrifice his play time for the sake of the team and know when to step down when he knows he's not 100 percent.. I think his need to play overcame his rightful mind and therefore cost us the win.. nothing more.. It showed to in all the players as they slowly began to deteriorate.. We couldn't have had a better way to wake us from our winning slumber than right now.. 1 week before we annialate the Bungels.. let us pray...................

jaysta
09-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Wow some of you guys and gals are being rather rough on Paw. He hardly appears to be giving up on the season, nor does he appear to be bashing Willie P. Many of you were posting last year about how the Steelers "smashmouth" style of football wins games. You are correct about that, and that appears to be Paw's main point. In 15 - 20 other offenses in the league Willie could be a productive featured back. In the Steelers offense he is a great change of pace back that rips off huge chunks of yardage and touchdown runs after the defense has been worn down by that "smashmouth" style of football that we all love. In the pre-season I saw post after post about how Willie is going to carry the ball between the tackles. Is that really what he's built to do? We all got that answer Monday night. Warrick Dunn has been productive in Atlanta because he's built for that offense (180 pounds). We don't play that style of ball and a speedy 205 pound back will most likely continue to struggle with inside runs.

hardwork
09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I agree,The Bus wouldn't have gotten much yardage last night.

We couldn't run it,it doesn't matter who we could've had in the backfield.Then we ended up in a situation where we HAD to pass,so they knew they just had to drop into coverage because we weren't gonna run it.

If we get 'em in the playoffs we'll run 'em into the ground. No problem.

jaysta
09-19-2006, 11:50 PM
If we get 'em in the playoffs we'll run 'em into the ground. No problem.

LOL You'll have to run it, because your passing game took a major hit recently.

Stillers#1
09-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Can we all just please remember, the Jag's have two DT's that are beasts! Harting's is not a big guy, and I am sure( I didn't watch the line too closely) that Stroud and Henderson had their way with him. You can't double team both of them.

hardwork
09-20-2006, 12:16 AM
LOL You'll have to run it, because your passing game took a major hit recently.

Be nice now.

X-Terminator
09-20-2006, 12:45 AM
ofcourse i was cheering ... the steelers scored a touchdown ... i guess you are assuming that i cheer only for other steelers players ... tell me your response was a joke becasue obviously you were reading way too much into it, also given the fact that my original post had a side note at the bottom CLEARLY stating that this is not one of "THOSE RANTS" that you seem to believe everything is

so he had a few flashy games last year and caught a backup safety out of position for a long SB run ... whoopdy freaking doo ... he couldnt even SPELL the word consistency let alone translate that to some sort of production on the field against even a halfway decent opponent ... and right now through two games parker has a 3.4 average ... zero TD's ... and only 1 run over 10 yards ... some gamebreaker he is there ...

Your words, man. Sounds like one of "those rants" to me...

augustashark
09-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Your words, man. Sounds like one of "those rants" to me...

I agree!

If Willie goes off against Cincy and has say 130yds rushing 40yds rec. and has 2 TDS I bet this guy comes back and says "aah he was lucky, our line played really well and opened up some big holes" Duh, come on man a RB is only as good as the game plan and the line play. This thread is stupid, or maybe it just started stupid?

SteelersWoman
09-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Parker's built for speed--he's not built to grind out the yardage like Bus did, and he'll still continue to do great against certain teams. However--I agree with what a few others were saying--NO one coulda' busted through those monsters. I give Parker credit for even trying, and it's just a wonder he didn't get really hurt. If it were me, you couldn't pay me enough money to go up against them -- :banging: That's what it had to feel like to Parker lol

When someone's bigger and stronger, you just have to come up with a way to outwit them--and I didn't see even one trick play. Things just weren't clicking last night, but I think they played "hard", if not "smart". And I am still amazed and give them credit that they didn't give up a single TD.

Had the Jags played most teams last night, I don't think it woulda' been a single digit game, and it's a credit to the Steelers that they held them at bay as well as they did--even on an off night.

It's also my opinion that if anyone should feel ashamed, it's the Jags. Think about it--it was THEIR house, THEIR hometown, MONSters at the front line--WRs that made our guys look like kids, a QB who wasn't sick, a TOP differential that most teams would die for, and they couldn't put up a single point until 3rd quarter, and not a single TD against some of our worst playing and a lot smaller guys?? Everything considered, they shoulda' put up a LOT more points on the board than they did.

So that's why I'm not really disappointed about last night, and I think it was a "necessary evil" to help work out some of the kinks, and am lookin' forward to next week against the Bengals :cheer:

:helmet:

HometownGal
09-20-2006, 08:14 AM

Look, Paw - I'm really not trying to stir the poo here - that isn't my schtick, but when I read your post I commented on, quite frankly it pissed me off, as you definitely came across as one of these "what have you done for me lately" fans, imho. I don't believe that post can be taken any other way, no matter how much you are trying to backpedal or sugar coat it. Your post was blatantly unfair considering the Steelers were playing only their 2nd game of the season against a very tough Jags defense, and in the prior game against Miami, Parker was responsible for producing 115 yards on the ground which contributed to the Steelers victory against the Fins. The offense did not play well as a unit against the Jags and singling one member of that unit out for poor play is, as I said, unfair. The Steelers didn't point fingers at each other - they each acknowledged their individual downfalls in that game and are anxious to move on to prepare for the Bungles' game this Sunday. If you don't like Willie Parker for whatever reason, that is your right, but to make this statement.......

so he had a few flashy games last year and caught a backup safety out of position for a long SB run ... whoopdy freaking doo ... he couldnt even SPELL the word consistency let alone translate that to some sort of production on the field against even a halfway decent opponent ...

is way over the top whether you like the guy or not, considering all of the positive contributions he made last season to help the Steelers on their journey to Detroit and especially his major contribution to the Steelers' SB victory.

wadester47
09-20-2006, 08:57 AM
WOOH,
check his meter.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-20-2006, 09:40 AM
so he had a few flashy games last year and caught a backup safety out of position for a long SB run ... whoopdy freaking doo ...

...uhhh..yeah...

Statistics show that blocking and defensive players being out of position, account for most long runs. Sounds like a John Madden bit of wisdom. "Interceptions are the #1 reasons for pass related turnovers".

The problem that people are having with Willie is the same arguemnet that people made about Barry Sanders (and no....I am NOT saying they are in the same category)...for those of us who remember...Barry was tackled behind the line of scrimmage more than any other back virtually EVERY year that he played.

Barry was not your 4 yds per down type of player. He would give you 1 yd....2yd... and then EVENTUALLY break a long run for you. As Steeler fans we are not used to this type of player...its gonna be hard for some of us to accept a player like Parker when we have been used to Morris & Bettis type of bruisers.

Having Jerome last year kept our anxiety down because we knew that if we needed the short run..the Bus would be there for us.....sooooooooo lets all just wait until Davenport shows whether he can be that thunder to Willies lightning before we write Parker off....deal?

paw-n-maul-u
09-20-2006, 04:03 PM
...uhhh..yeah...

Statistics show that blocking and defensive players being out of position, account for most long runs. Sounds like a John Madden bit of wisdom. "Interceptions are the #1 reasons for pass related turnovers".

The problem that people are having with Willie is the same arguemnet that people made about Barry Sanders (and no....I am NOT saying they are in the same category)...for those of us who remember...Barry was tackled behind the line of scrimmage more than any other back virtually EVERY year that he played.

Barry was not your 4 yds per down type of player. He would give you 1 yd....2yd... and then EVENTUALLY break a long run for you. As Steeler fans we are not used to this type of player...its gonna be hard for some of us to accept a player like Parker when we have been used to Morris & Bettis type of bruisers.

Having Jerome last year kept our anxiety down because we knew that if we needed the short run..the Bus would be there for us.....sooooooooo lets all just wait until Davenport shows whether he can be that thunder to Willies lightning before we write Parker off....deal?

deal??? ... haha i mean there isn't really anything we can do about it regadless if davenpooper is the answer or not. can everyone agree that for the last two years our gameplan has been pound the opposing defense into submission and wear them down ... then catch them off guard while they are tired and lazy with our play action ... is this not the steelers gameplan??? ... i would love to know if it isn't because obviously I have been watching the wrong black and gold team

PARKER HAS AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF POTENTIAL/TALENT, but he is in the wrong system becasue what we demand of him can't result in production against the better teams of this league. take a look at last year ... parker had 5 games over 100 yards ... thoses games came agains HOUSTON,DETROIT,CLEVELAND,CINCY, AND TENNESSEE (not exactly the powerhouses of defense) ... other than cincy, none of those teams had a winning record ... the only other game parker came close to 100 was minnesota and seattle ... 49 of his 81 yards against minnesota came on 1 play ... and 75 of his 93 came on 1 play vs. seattle ... all I'm saying is that parker is not suited to be a featured back in this league ... he was an undrafted free agent from UNC for a reason, not because he is some hidden treasure football godsend that is going to revolutionize the way the steelers play, and I am pretty sure they steelers recognize that or they wouldnt have brought in davenpooper.
I mean look at it ... we WILL be drafting a running back next year early day 1 ... that i will guarantee ... they sign davenpooper to a ONE YEAR DEAL ... staley is obviously gone after this year ... and no other RB we brought into camp showed any promise IMO (and don't say kuhn beating up on 3rd stringers was impressive) ...

... you can rag on me all you want but all you really have to do is look at last years game logs and you'll see what i mean by inconsistency. Then you can take your foot and try and fit it in your mouth becasue that's where it belongs.

Parker is obviously going to be around for atleast the next what ... 5 years was his contract? ... sweet ... i am honestly excited ... he will be the perfect complement to michael bush

HometownGal
09-20-2006, 05:07 PM
deal??? ... haha i mean there isn't really anything we can do about it regadless if davenpooper is the answer or not. can everyone agree that for the last two years our gameplan has been pound the opposing defense into submission and wear them down ... then catch them off guard while they are tired and lazy with our play action ... is this not the steelers gameplan??? ... i would love to know if it isn't because obviously I have been watching the wrong black and gold team

PARKER HAS AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF POTENTIAL/TALENT, but he is in the wrong system becasue what we demand of him can't result in production against the better teams of this league. take a look at last year ... parker had 5 games over 100 yards ... thoses games came agains HOUSTON,DETROIT,CLEVELAND,CINCY, AND TENNESSEE (not exactly the powerhouses of defense) ... other than cincy, none of those teams had a winning record ... the only other game parker came close to 100 was minnesota and seattle ... 49 of his 81 yards against minnesota came on 1 play ... and 75 of his 93 came on 1 play vs. seattle ... all I'm saying is that parker is not suited to be a featured back in this league ... he was an undrafted free agent from UNC for a reason, not because he is some hidden treasure football godsend that is going to revolutionize the way the steelers play, and I am pretty sure they steelers recognize that or they wouldnt have brought in davenpooper.
I mean look at it ... we WILL be drafting a running back next year early day 1 ... that i will guarantee ... they sign davenpooper to a ONE YEAR DEAL ... staley is obviously gone after this year ... and no other RB we brought into camp showed any promise IMO (and don't say kuhn beating up on 3rd stringers was impressive) ...

... you can rag on me all you want but all you really have to do is look at last years game logs and you'll see what i mean by inconsistency. Then you can take your foot and try and fit it in your mouth becasue that's where it belongs.

Parker is obviously going to be around for atleast the next what ... 5 years was his contract? ... sweet ... i am honestly excited ... he will be the perfect complement to michael bush

Paw - first of all, last season Willie Parker was in only his second year being a pro and his FIRST season as a starter for the Steelers. He was utilized as the Steelers wanted him utilized last season - the speed back with the great cutting ability who could make the big runs, complimented with Bettis being the power back in some 3rd down situations, as well as the bruiser who could power his way through the line and into the endzone. While I agree that Willie Parker is not a power back, his value to the team is measured differently, as he is also utilized as a receiver for those short dump passes that were pretty darned effective last season.

Take a moment and look at Parker's numbers last season in the month of December when the Steelers started making their run for a playoff spot - quite impressive for basically a rookie, imho. 350 yards on 67 carries in 4 games which gives him an average 5.2 ypc and an average of 87.2 ypg.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494527/gamelogs/2005

I don't think you can measure the value of Willie Parker's abilities (or any RB's abilities/value to his team for that matter) by the number of 100 yard games he has. Using your logic, Jerome Bettis was a bust last season, too, as he had only one 100 yard game performance against da Bears and I think we all realize the importance of Jerome's contributions last season. There are various teams in the NFL today who use the double whammy and split carries between two RBs, one speed back and one power back. I believe that trend will continue as it has proven to be pretty successful. I think that Cowher may be leaning towards that trend, but hasn't found his "Jerome, Jr." just yet. Maybe the answer is Davenport, maybe not, but I'm sure as hell not going to question the whys and becauses of Cowher's decisions and/or plans for the future - I trust him to make the right decisions for the betterment of the team as he has done during his long tenure as the Steelers HC.

In summation, I'm going to give Fast Willie the benefit of the doubt here and not rag on him because he isn't consistently a 100 ypg rusher. His value to the team, imho, has well spoken for itself.

83-Steelers-43
09-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm going to start up the "Bring Back Kuhn, Release Willie" campaign. Who's with me? Anybody? *crickets* Anybody? *crickets*

BEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

WhoIsMattJones?
09-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I am still sticking by my gut feeling that parker isnt the answer to our running game ... he can't carry the load against top defenses a la jaguars ... j-ville was dropping into coverage and picked ben twice because we had no running game ... they don't have a bruiser to grind out the tough yards ... davenpooper is also not the answer, just a temporary solution for this year ... here is too michael bush next year falling to the steelers late in the first round ...

side note; this is not a thread giving up on the whole season ... tonight was just a bad game ... but i think you'll see a trend just like last year in parkers production against teams with even a halfway decent defense

as a jags fan, ill say this parker is a great RB man hes fast and smart. we have a real solid DL that not many teams in the NFL can run on us. it was just 1 game man, hes still good. look at our situation in jax with fred taylor, hes never had a complete season with us, but i still have faith he will this season. bottom line u guys have a great RB in fast willie parker :tt02:

Midnightwriter07
09-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Although i would love to cut staley and bring back Kuhn... ( iwillsign up for that thread cause is what i thought she have happened anyway and with Staley on the bench not even suiting up) i dont see why not ..

Butthis tlak of parker is rediculous and I am all for everyone having thier own opinion.. I consider Parker as a ROOKIE last year and for a ROOKIE, his numbers were impressive.. Obviously he can take the ball to the house on any given play.. that is nice to have.

I think what is being failed to mention here as shown in the Jax game... for Willie to be able to get a little space, he needs blocking ( something we didnt do against Jax and that is no fault of Parkers. That is not Willie's job... I remember a few years ago, Bettis was getting hit in the backfield alot, sometimes right as he got the ball in his hands and all i heard was " Bettis is done, he sucks" " we need a new running back, he is over" ect ect .. now that obviously had nothing to do with Bettis, but people tend to not put the blame where it needs to be.

The O line has much to do with a RB's success as anything... so when you see Parker only getting a few yards i dont think is because he is not hitting the hole fast enough or doesnt have the speed to do so... it is because our O LINE ****ed up or else BEN should have audibled out of that play. He has that power to do so.

Look at any running backs stats and you will see that they have games where they dont do alot and there are usually reasons for that... Willie had 11 carries which is not alot, we didnt have the ball much. We couldnt sustain and drives and we sure as hell couldnt pass which made it a little easier for them since Darius mainly played the run. When that happens it is up to Ben to makes plays to open things up and is just somethng heand the recieving core couldnt do... is the same damn thing we do to oposing teams that we got thrown back in our face.

sumo
09-20-2006, 07:33 PM

I was convinced they were going to do it this year -- I was thinking they would take LenDale White and they passed

paw-n-maul-u
09-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I was convinced they were going to do it this year -- I was thinking they would take LenDale White and they passed

that's something i didn't understand from the FO, why take a WR this year when next year is LOADED with talented WR's ... 4 of which i would place ahead of santonio if they were all in the same draft, ginn,jarret,the guy from notre dame with the really long name, and calvin johnson ... whatever, mute point,

i am glad the steelers signed parker to an extension, but I hope that it was only to keep him around so they could get thunder lightening duo with hopefully an early day-1 pick next year ... parker should get about 10-15 carries a game and "insert name here" should have around 20-25 a game ... that's the role that IMO would best fit parkers ability ... to come in a few times in the first in third quarter ... maybe a handoff every other series or so ... then stick him in for a series or two at the end of the 2nd/4th quarter to really break the backs of the D ... keep his legs fresh and watch him blaze past everyone

... sometimes i wish i could play GM for a day

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Parker will get shut down on Sunday

HometownGal
09-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Parker will get shut down on Sunday

Not as badly as Rudi. Rudi's longest run against our D will be no more than 7 yards. :smile:

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Not as badly as Rudi. Rudi's longest run against our D will be no more than 7 yards. :smile:

Oh.. I am not even slightly worried about Rudi producing.. He will

HometownGal
09-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Oh.. I am not even slightly worried about Rudi producing.. He will

We shall see, Brian. We shall see. Good luck on Sunday - the Bungles are going to need it. The Steelers are pissed and very hungry. I almost feel sorry for the Gals. :tt02:

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 07:30 AM
We shall see, Brian. We shall see. Good luck on Sunday - the Bungles are going to need it. The Steelers are pissed and very hungry. I almost feel sorry for the Gals. :tt02:

Why feel sorry for us? We are in first in the division and the 4th highest scoring team so far...

No need to feel sorry for us

HometownGal
09-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Why feel sorry for us? We are in first in the division and the 4th highest scoring team so far...

No need to feel sorry for us

After 2 weeks of play - wow - that's a major accomplishment. Puts the fear of God into us (NOT).

I said I ALMOST feel sorry for the Gals because the Steelers are a very pissed off and hungry team. Do the math here. :wink02:

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 08:09 AM
After 2 weeks of play - wow - that's a major accomplishment. Puts the fear of God into us (NOT).

I said I ALMOST feel sorry for the Gals because the Steelers are a very pissed off and hungry team. Do the math here. :wink02:

This coming from the person who says Chad Johnson sucks

Yea.. ok

HometownGal
09-21-2006, 08:55 AM
This coming from the person who says Chad Johnson sucks

Yea.. ok

Great philosophy there, Brian. :thumbsup: :sofunny:

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Great philosophy there, Brian. :thumbsup: :sofunny:

Umm.. What philosophy??

Jack_handy
09-21-2006, 10:10 AM
I think our line is to blame, I didnt see one opening of parker that past game, plus not having a passing game doesent help any.

I think that our passing game is the answer we have to establish that then pound the ball.

Steelers 31
Bungholes 2

:thumbsup:

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I think our line is to blame, I didnt see one opening of parker that past game, plus not having a passing game doesent help any.

I think that our passing game is the answer we have to establish that then pound the ball.

Steelers 31
Bungholes 2

:thumbsup:

Yer right.. I could see us getting a safety... I change mine from

34 - 6

to

36-6

ExtonSteelFan
09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Yer right.. I could see us getting a safety... I change mine from

34 - 6

to

36-6

The Steelers had one bad game and you are making them out to be terrible on offense. It's only week 3, don't get too excited yet. I also don't think the Bengals D is anywhere near as good as the Jags were Monday night, so it's not realistic to think you will shut down the running game as they did.

Now, this isn't to say the Bengals won't come out with a win, but your prediction is a little off when thinking about this rationally. Sure, you guys "could" come into our house and hold us to 6 points, but do you honestly think that will happen? The chances of this happening are VERY slim, and your prediction is merely smack talk to try and rial up some Steeler fans. Most rationally thinking human beings are predicting this to be a very close game, potentially right down to the wire.

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 11:53 AM
The Steelers had one bad game and you are making them out to be terrible on offense. It's only week 3, don't get too excited yet. I also don't think the Bengals D is anywhere near as good as the Jags were Monday night, so it's not realistic to think you will shut down the running game as they did.

Now, this isn't to say the Bengals won't come out with a win, but your prediction is a little off when thinking about this rationally. Sure, you guys "could" come into our house and hold us to 6 points, but do you honestly think that will happen? The chances of this happening are VERY slim, and your prediction is merely smack talk to try and rial up some Steeler fans. Most rationally thinking human beings are predicting this to be a very close game, potentially right down to the wire.

Yer right.. Its only week 3.. You think Ben is ready yet??? I really dont think he is.. But we will all find out come Sunday.. I could be wrong.. But I stand by my prediction

Fine..

36-10

Better?

ExtonSteelFan
09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Yer right.. Its only week 3.. You think Ben is ready yet??? I really dont think he is.. But we will all find out come Sunday.. I could be wrong.. But I stand by my prediction

Fine..

36-10

Better?

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. The fact of the matter is you nor I know for sure, and won't know until Sunday like you said. He looked bad on Monday but some others on the team helped contribute to his poor play as well. I don't like to put all of the blame on him like others do.

In the end, I'm confident in his past ability to bounce back after a poorly played game AND the amount of wins vs. losses this guy has. These are two things that have been proven in the past.

As for your revised prediction, I still don't agree with it and don't think it is a logical assumption. Your not playing the Oakland Raiders here BengalBrian :smile:

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. The fact of the matter is you nor I know for sure, and won't know until Sunday like you said. He looked bad on Monday but some others on the team helped contribute to his poor play as well. I don't like to put all of the blame on him like others do.

In the end, I'm confident in his past ability to bounce back after a poorly played game AND the amount of wins vs. losses this guy has. These are two things that have been proven in the past.

As for your revised prediction, I still don't agree with it and don't think it is a logical assumption. Your not playing the Oakland Raiders here BengalBrian :smile:

As long as we have TJ and Henry (got hurt in practice) I expect the score to be close to my prediction.. Honestly...

I hope your team walks into the place thinking the defense is as bad as a lot of your fanbase apparently thinks

ExtonSteelFan
09-21-2006, 01:08 PM
As long as we have TJ and Henry (got hurt in practice) I expect the score to be close to my prediction.. Honestly...

I hope your team walks into the place thinking the defense is as bad as a lot of your fanbase apparently thinks

Now wait a minute. I don't think the Bengal Defense is bad at all. In fact, I feel this game will be hard on both sides of the ball for the steelers. It's 100% in the realm of possibility for the Bengals to roll in this game. All I said is that the Bengals D doesn't look as good as the Jags were on Mon night. I don't think many people would disagree with me here either. They played some of the best defense I have ever seen.

It's funny that you think our team may be thinking your defense is bad. In reality, you are the one thinking this game is going to be cake by thinking our offense isn't going to produce. That kind of mindset is what will get you into trouble. Hope you enjoy the game :cheers:

steelfan 92
09-21-2006, 02:27 PM
First of all willie parker is the real deal, he did not get enough attempts. besides the fact that the o-line could not get any movement. i love big ben, but i think we would have been better off starting charlie, but i know bill wanted to try and get some of the rust off of ben. back to willie, they have to keep pounding it. in 4th quarter those 4 and 5 yarders will turn in to 15 and 25 yaders and he will eventually break one. may be spell him some in the 3rd quarter, give some reps to Mr. Davenport now that we have him.

Da Question
09-21-2006, 02:43 PM
As far as parker goes, this guy is producing with almost no college expierence. I think he is far beyond most backs who played a ful college career. One bad game, low carries. no big deal, i expect a big game against the bengals.

Sundays game should be very good, 36-10 is just a horrible score to predict. This game will come down to a fg or late score and can go either way( division games are usually like that) All i know is watching chad johnson get laid out last week was some funny S@%T.
I just dont really care for loud mouths, Take the talk when you get a ring, The had their first division title in 10 + yrs and now their the team to beat LOL Wipe the blood off your chin and play ball :)

BengalBrian
09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Now wait a minute. I don't think the Bengal Defense is bad at all. In fact, I feel this game will be hard on both sides of the ball for the steelers. It's 100% in the realm of possibility for the Bengals to roll in this game. All I said is that the Bengals D doesn't look as good as the Jags were on Mon night. I don't think many people would disagree with me here either. They played some of the best defense I have ever seen.

It's funny that you think our team may be thinking your defense is bad. In reality, you are the one thinking this game is going to be cake by thinking our offense isn't going to produce. That kind of mindset is what will get you into trouble. Hope you enjoy the game :cheers:

Notice I said MOST of your fanbase...

This game could go anywhere.. My prediction is just that.. A prediction.. It's not gospel... My opinion doesnt mean much at all, as does anyone elses... We will just have to see where the chip fall on sunday.. Truely any given sunday when these two match up..

clevestinks
09-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Maybe if Ben would have played well the defense wouldn`t have been able to key on Willie?
Maybe if we would have stuck with our play action passes, Ben would have had more time, and Willie would have been more effective?
Maybe you shouldn`t root for Willie when he has good games, since you get so down on him in bad games?
Are you second guessing whether or not Ben should be our QB? After all he had a bad game.
Maybe you are just another fair weather fan? :helmet:

memphissteelergirl
09-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Yep, it was all about the O line. It was not a very good performance by them. There are 16 games in a season people. Plenty of time to address and fix the issues. The Jags D played extremely well. We got beat by a good team, there's nothing more to say.

Absolutely! You have to give Del Rio and his staff credit...they had the Jags well prepared.
And I am so tired of the "Parker can't get it done" crap I could scream!! What does the man have to do to convince some of you that he is a legit RB? :dang:

clevestinks
09-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Absolutely! You have to give Del Rio and his staff credit...they had the Jags well prepared.
And I am so tired of the "Parker can't get it done" crap I could scream!! What does the man have to do to convince some of you that he is a legit RB? :dang:

Rep points to you.

The crap about Willie, is mostly from fair weather fans. Not true Black & Gold Bleeders. I do`nt care who that ticks off. For some of us its Steelers til death. Some its just a bandwagon.:tt02:

memphissteelergirl
09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Rep points to you.

The crap about Willie, is mostly from fair weather fans. Not true Black & Gold Bleeders. I do`nt care who that ticks off. For some of us its Steelers til death. Some its just a bandwagon.:tt02:

Thanks, cs! :smile:
As much as I will back up Fast Willie, I will admit that we do need that big back to help on short yardage situations....hopefully Davenport will fill that role for us.

Da Question
09-21-2006, 04:58 PM
:dang: Man i really wish we could have picked up ron dayne to fill the big man roll

steelfan 92
09-21-2006, 05:58 PM
ron dayne is not a big back, he run's soft. i wish we could pull off a trade for brandon jacoubs, now that is a big back. i think willie can get the job done, he had ponly 11 attempts, he needs at least 20 carries. 2 and 3 yards runs wil turn into 15 and 20 in the 4th quarter. also th o lines needs to step ups its game a little bit. ie max starks and kendall simmons.

SteelCzar76
09-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Umm.. What philosophy??

It's not a matter of your philosophy,.......but of your foolishness. You defeated an already inconsistent Chief's team that was missing Willie Roaf and their starting Quarterback. This was followed by a victory over the CLOWNS. Now all of the sudden you P#ss#'s are going to blow us out,... on our field ?...... STOP PLAYIN.
We had a lapse in concentration against an elite Defensive unit , and an exceptional head coach performing as though it was the playoff's. (A hard lesson learned for us but one that will be worse for you)
The aforementioned lack of focus will NOT be the case against YOU this week. YOU do not possess an elite defense,.... or exceptional coaching at ANY level.
Use anything you want as motivation,....Us Clowning your lame a$$ Saints "Who Dey", chant....Kimo knocking Carson out last year,.. even T.J's "smoke and Mirror's" confidence.
None of it will make any difference this Sunday,.....you will lose decisively.
You should be confident as the Bungal's are whom you represent,....but believe me,....."IT WILL PASS"

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Da Question
09-22-2006, 10:49 AM
ron dayne is not a big back, he run's soft. i wish we could pull off a trade for brandon jacoubs, now that is a big back. i think willie can get the job done, he had ponly 11 attempts, he needs at least 20 carries. 2 and 3 yards runs wil turn into 15 and 20 in the 4th quarter. also th o lines needs to step ups its game a little bit. ie max starks and kendall simmons.

Yeah jacobs is a beast, When dayne played for NY he was a brusing back. I think he would have been good to pound out a few yards plus he showed last season he has break away speed. only problem is he is an underacheiver.
I wouldnt have minded ducket either when he was on the market. I really wish we would have kept humes or kuhn. But oh well. I think davenport should pound some them hard yards for us. and I agree I think 20 + carries and wille be 100 yards +

Midnightwriter07
09-22-2006, 11:21 AM
We do still have Kuhn, he looked better than Humes in there. I am not a huge Dayne fan. Willie just didnt have any holes, i think he will be fine this week and Davenport I am sure knows more of the offense and we have a Bye, so he will see alot more time after the bye week i am sure.

Infamix
09-22-2006, 11:29 AM
If the offensive line hits their blocks, Willie always usually finds the hole.

Da Question
09-24-2006, 09:50 PM
:tt02: 30 for 133 i think today. somewhere in those numbers. Too bad we lost :banging:

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
:tt02: 30 for 133 i think today. somewhere in those numbers. Too bad we lost :banging:

Agreed man, Parker sure can take the hard hits. He impresses me more and more each game. He's another Tiki Barber.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Willie Parker is the man and I'm so glad he continues to prove the doubters wrong. The guy isn't the big power back we all like. But he has a big heart and thats why he has success. Maybe Willie can give our QB some of his heart.

SteelerFanInCA
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Willie Parker is the man and I'm so glad he continues to prove the doubters wrong. The guy isn't the big power back we all like. But he has a big heart and thats why he has success. Maybe Willie can give our QB some of his heart.

Can we close this thread now?

83-Steelers-43
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM

And on that note........

O-line plays good = Running game plays good.

Infamix
09-25-2006, 06:48 PM
:chicken: Don't close the thread, it's good luck for Willie

jaysta
09-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Gotta say I wasn't sure that Willie could carry the load this year. Sure glad that he's proving me wrong. Now if we can just get some wins to go with his terrific running and our stellar defense we'll be in business. Think about it, this team really is only a couple of bad plays away from being 2-1.

Livinginthe past
09-25-2006, 08:30 PM
What type of predictions are we looking at for the San Diego game as far as yards or ypc??

Don't get me wrong I like what Parker has done, but i'd like to see him do it against good run D - the Bengals were porous again and couldn't make a tackle.

NM

Da Question
09-26-2006, 11:07 AM
26 carries 112 yards against the chargers.

tony hipchest
09-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong I like what Parker has done, but i'd like to see him do it against good run D -
NMwell if he does that against a good run d i guess that means they arent a very good run d.

not to take nothing away from san diego but did they shut down the running games of the raiders and titans because theyre great or does the fact that both offenses are horrible have something to do with it?

its a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" scenario.

Elvis
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I think that Willie gets off on being the underdog... he has had to work very hard for everything he has gotten.. not saying that Ben hasnt, but Willie is a hard workin' young man that deserves all he is gettin'... Give Ben and our recievers time to get on the same page and I think we will be fine..

Livinginthe past
09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
well if he does that against a good run d i guess that means they arent a very good run d.

not to take nothing away from san diego but did they shut down the running games of the raiders and titans because theyre great or does the fact that both offenses are horrible have something to do with it?

its a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" scenario.

Sorry - dont agree at all.

You can spot a good run D because it plays tough against teams that have consistently good running attacks - the Steelers run D for example.

San Diego was ranked No.1 against the run all last year - they are continuing in that vein this year, admittedly against poor opposition - but you can only beat who you play.

If Parker can put up 100+ with a 4+ ypc avg against SD i'll be impressed.

Denver are another excellent run D - ranked 2nd last year and totally shut down the Patriots last week.

Jax are a good run also, they shut down Indy and Pittsburgh.

NM

tony hipchest
09-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Denver are another excellent run D - ranked 2nd last year and totally shut down the Patriots last week.

NMand thats because patriots running backs are only good against weaker defenses? i mean, that is what youve said about parker in the past.

its pretty easy to assume that if the chargers commit to shutting parker down and putting 8-9 men in the box, hes not gonna have a good game. that doesnt mean he sucks against good defenses. likewise with LT, arguably the best back in football, who has always been handled by the steelers. doesnt mean hes not good cause he, like willie have that potential to break one at any moment.

Da Question
09-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry - dont agree at all.

You can spot a good run D because it plays tough against teams that have consistently good running attacks - the Steelers run D for example.

San Diego was ranked No.1 against the run all last year - they are continuing in that vein this year, admittedly against poor opposition - but you can only beat who you play.

NM

I agree and disagree, Jax stopped our run because we went away from the run, the 49ers would have a good run d if they only had teams carry the ball 10-15 times a game against them. I think as a team we had 18 carries of course we will get shut down. San Diego week one played the raiders end of story about the run d. raiders have one running back lamont jordan. and against tenn the rushes were 19runs - 38 passes. not even half their plays. Maybe they are ranked high but a good d doesnt always mean you cant run on it.
I agree thou because last year sd stopped parker. 10 carries 26 yrds. but the bus took 17 carries. I think parker could have broke some plays if he touched the ball more.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
parker looked fine against the bengals

Livinginthe past
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
and thats because patriots running backs are only good against weaker defenses? i mean, that is what youve said about parker in the past.

its pretty easy to assume that if the chargers commit to shutting parker down and putting 8-9 men in the box, hes not gonna have a good game. that doesnt mean he sucks against good defenses. likewise with LT, arguably the best back in football, who has always been handled by the steelers. doesnt mean hes not good cause he, like willie have that potential to break one at any moment.

Denver were also rated highly last year in overall run D.

Parker has only run well against poor defences - Bengals, Tennessee, Texans - players like LT put up good numbers across the board - not every game I grant you - but they have the ability to put consistent yards up against the teams who excel at stopping the run over a whole season.

There is a huge difference between where LT is and where Parker is - there is only so far you can take the 'on any sunday' motto.

Who has LT ever had at QB to take the presure off him?

Brees for one year and thats about it.

There is no getting way from it - there is a definite hierarchy of football run defences, just the same as there is a hierarchy of running backs.

NM

tony hipchest
09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
tomlinsons 1st year stats:

Rushing
Year Team G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st
2001 16 16 339 1236 3.6 54 10 7 67

Receiving G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
2001 16 16 59 367 6.2 27 0 1 0 12

pretty similar to parkers 1st year starting. i think its too soon to start pigeonholing parker just as it is maroney.

ExtonSteelFan
09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Out of curiousity, does anyone know what 40 time Willie runs? I remember seeing around 4.2 or something. That's enough to say he's the fastest RB in the league right now, right? When I saw his SB run I was amazed and how fast this kid was. I was blown away by his speed.

jaysta
09-27-2006, 11:26 PM

NM

I don't think Willie's numbers will be quite that high against San Diego. The big stat for us right now though will be TD's. Willie put up two last week and I can pretty much guarantee at least one against SD. If he only runs for 60 yards on 20 carries, scores a couple of times, and we win the game. I'll be real happy.

Livinginthe past
09-28-2006, 01:59 AM
tomlinsons 1st year stats:

Rushing
Year Team G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st
2001 16 16 339 1236 3.6 54 10 7 67

Receiving G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
2001 16 16 59 367 6.2 27 0 1 0 12

pretty similar to parkers 1st year starting. i think its too soon to start pigeonholing parker just as it is maroney.

Im sure you remember me saying numerous times that I think Willie has alot of upside which is exactly what LT had in 2001.

We are presumably comparing what the various RB's are bringing to their teams right now - neither Maroney or Parker are anywhere close to Tomlinsons ability to produce.

NM

tony hipchest
09-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Im sure you remember me saying numerous times that I think Willie has alot of upside which is exactly what LT had in 2001.

We are presumably comparing what the various RB's are bringing to their teams right now - neither Maroney or Parker are anywhere close to Tomlinsons ability to produce.

NMnot many backs will be. if you looked at tomlinson and faulk coming out of college, their games and statlines suggested they were the next coming of barry sanders. however, the sdsu and tcu was in the WAC at that time and their were alot of doubters that said they could never produce like that in the nfl cause all their great games came against "weaker opponents" in what is considered a very weak college division. well they were wrong.

unfortunately for willie there was no college career to judge him by. the fact he made it this far shows hes got the talent, heart, and drive. maybe not to be as great as tomlinson, e. smith, m. faulk, or b. sanders, but to atleast be an every down back and get the goal line carries and be the steelers featured back for years to come.

can he flatten ray lewis and brian urlacher in a 1 on 1 situation? no. really the only person who could do that was jerome bettis who has a 40 lb edge. but he can definitely juke them out of their cleats.

people think his size hampers his running and power or makes him injury prone. this is not the case. the only drawback of his size is in pass protection. i defer to the masters opinion on the matter:

Former teammate Jerome Bettis knows that Parker is capable of those kinds of days and more.

With Bettis gone, the Steelers have been searching for someone to take over the spot of the short yardage back, the guy who can pound the yards out when needed. Bettis knows that it will take some work, but he thinks that Parker can do it if needed, like he did when he scored from the one-yard line on Sunday.

"He is tough," said Bettis in a regular column that he is doing for Steelers Digest this year. "In the game against the Dolphins I saw him try to run a guy over, which is something I never used to see Willie try to do. For him to get in that situation, instead of going down, he tried to run the guy down. That is a lot of progress. If he keeps that attitude up he can definitely make a good short yardage back.

"He runs physical, he runs tough. It's just a matter of him going out there and looking at it. Going out in short yardage is a little different from regular in the field in terms of how you run and what you look for. There are more guys in that area and it's tougher in that area. I believe he can do it if he runs physical and is able to pound it up in there."

but i agree willies carries should be somewhat limited. especially in the case of last weekend when the steelers dominated the clock, had 38 runs yet were still perfectly ballanced with 39 passes. had there not been 2 late turnovers they concievably wouldve ran the ball over 50 times (since alot of passes were in catch up mode in the games final moments). no back needs that type of punishment. just ask c. williams.