PDA

View Full Version : Chargers and Volek

Ohio Steeler
09-19-2006, 01:47 AM
The San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans are in final discussions for a trade involving Titans quarterback Billy Volek.
The talks, which had been on hold until the two teams played each other Sunday, are at a point where the trade could be completed Tuesday. If a deal is not reached, Volek could be headed to another team.

The Chargers have offered a sixth-round choice; the Titans are asking for a fifth-rounder in exchange for Volek. The two teams had been discussing a trade for a couple weeks until both agreed to wait until after Sunday's matchup because the Titans didn't want to move Volek to a team they were playing two weeks into the season.

Conversations resumed Monday with hopes of reaching a quick resolution.

Complicating the negotiations is a no-trade clause in Volek's contract. Though Volek asked to be traded after being demoted to third string, he controls where he would go and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has to be involved in any trade discussion due to the clause.

The Chargers have only two quarterbacks on their roster -- starter Philip Rivers and rookie Charlie Whitehurst. They would like to add an experienced backup and keep three quarterbacks on the roster.

Nine teams have only two quarterbacks on the roster and the Chargers have the least experienced duo in football.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2593817

Ohio Steeler
09-19-2006, 01:48 AM
so I guess this means Rivers is not the answer for SD and VY is going to be the answer for Tenn

43Hitman
09-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I think this means that SD wants an experienced back-up in case Rivers goes down. Whitehurst is a rookie. SD seems to be a legitimate team this year, you don't want that going down the tubes because of a fluke injury. Volek is capable of managing a team better than Whitehurst.

tony hipchest
09-19-2006, 01:34 PM
the chargers will give up a 2007 6th round pick. quite a bargain. he probably couldve got a 3rd pick a year or 2 ago.

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
I think this means that SD wants an experienced back-up in case Rivers goes down. Whitehurst is a rookie. SD seems to be a legitimate team this year, you don't want that going down the tubes because of a fluke injury. Volek is capable of managing a team better than Whitehurst.

I think you are right on the money here, Hitman. Makes perfect sense.

boLT fan
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
so I guess this means Rivers is not the answer for SD

Wow I hope that was a joke.

Right now as a backup we have a rookie, and brining in Volek will help out Rivers a little and we get to have possibly the best backup in the league. Aj Smith loves depth at every position and this will give it to him at QB.

This was planned pretty much from the beginning of the season, I think it's one of the reasons we cut Aj Feeley before the season start.

Stillers#1
09-19-2006, 11:13 PM
the chargers will give up a 2007 6th round pick. quite a bargain. he probably couldve got a 3rd pick a year or 2 ago.

This is a huge pick-up for the Chargers. Although I think it sucks for Volek. He, much like Schaub in Atlanta, are two guys, who I think will be stuck in back-up limbo. They should both be starting. But that is for another thread. Perhaps I will start it.