PDA

View Full Version : Our D was bad!

SteelersWyo
09-19-2006, 10:13 AM
The offense had its problems, but the D was not much better. Troy was trying to tackle all night with one arm. The line put next to no pressure on Leftwich. Our secondary gave up third down conversions all night. Fred Taylor had linebakcers bouncing off him left and right. Granted the D got tired 'cause the O is horrible (Texan like?), but somebody make a stop.

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Ummm...we gave up 9 points on the road. I'll take that anyday of the week.

Most importantly and a point some seem to have a problem comprehending is the fact that when your defense is on the field for 90% of the game, it's going to tire out. They are not robots. Hell, I'm amazed they only gave up 9 points.

rowedf
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
I think Troy is hurting more than he and the coaching staff leads us to believe. He totally was trying to tackle with one arm last night.

SteelersWyo
09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I know they got tired, but the scheme looked bad also.

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Bottomline: They gave up 9 points on the road while being on the field longer than the officials. I'll take it anyday of the week against any team. They never touched our endzone.

Grey
09-19-2006, 10:27 AM
No it wasn't. I don't have a problem with giving up 3 field goals. They missed a few tackles that gave Taylor some yards and got caught blitzing on a couple of screens.

Here we go.
Grey

Justin Otstott
09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Our D only gave up 3 FG's but still I guess if I watch last night's game over (after watching ESPN) we do need to tackle way better! They let the Jags RB dance on their heads :(

83-Steelers-43
09-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Our D only gave up 3 FG's but still I guess if I watch last night's game over (after watching ESPN) we do need to tackle way better! They let the Jags RB dance on their heads :(

Notice though. In the first half we stopped Taylor clean. He had nothing. We held him to 16 yards on eight carries in the first half.

It was in the second half (against a tired defense and a safety with one arm which leads to missed tackles) that Taylor started coming up big. He had 76 yards on 14 carries. Also, let's not forget that Taylor is simply a pretty damn good back.

X-Terminator
09-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Obviously, with some people, anything less than a shutout is "bad" :dang:

9 points on the road and NO...ZERO...0 TDs allowed. I'd call that a solid performance by a defense that was clearly tired after being on the field all night long.

bangpow
09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow, you guys aren't giving the Jags any credit. The Steelers would bring 8-9 people and their O-line and backs blocked them all. They picked up the blitz almost every time and had guys open.

ROETTI
09-19-2006, 11:50 AM
You could notice that they were getting tired near the end, but can you blame them considering how much time they spent on the field? If we can duplicate that next week then Cinnci doesn't stand a chance. Porter is going to be breathing down Palmer's next all day. If they can pressure Palmer it could be a long day for him, he has to be somewhat nervous after what we did to him last year.

The point is Last Night's game was not that good from any stand point, for both teams. I think it was the rust from Ben and broken routes that hurt us most. What's with Santonio Holmes? He had a hand full of bad routes where he totally miss running the correct route. Two of them went for INT's.

klick81
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Our D was awesome...nuff said.

43Hitman
09-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Time of Poss:

Steelers: 22:35

Jags: 37:25

3rd down Conversions:

Steelers: 3-13

Jags: 6-18

Sounds like a tired defense to me.

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
The offense had its problems, but the D was not much better. Troy was trying to tackle all night with one arm. The line put next to no pressure on Leftwich. Our secondary gave up third down conversions all night. Fred Taylor had linebakcers bouncing off him left and right. Granted the D got tired 'cause the O is horrible (Texan like?), but somebody make a stop.

And yet, despite all of that, the Steelers D only gave up 9 points to a pretty darned good football team. No disrespect meant here, Wyo, but I think you're being a tad too harsh on our D. The D was on the field for most of the game and they were plain run down.

Big D
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
um is this guy for real. A defense that only gives up 9 points reallys sucks right? he must have watched a different game then i did

19ward86
09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
it wasnt the our defenses fualt at all,im sorry guys but i have to lay all of the blame on ben. he had a horrible performance. yeah wilie had a bad game but if we could of had a passing game willie would of been able to run. bens rust was showing like hell. every throw that was longer than 10yds was 3 yards away from the reciever. i give credit to mathis because he not quite shut down but he stopped big plays from hines.my point is that if ben could of got some 1st downs our defense wouldnt of been as tired as it was our defense was waisted. our offense was on the field for like 20 minutes when usually on for 30-35 min.

SteelerFanInCA
09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Bottomline: They gave up 9 points on the road while being on the field longer than the officials. I'll take it anyday of the week against any team. They never touched our endzone.

Agreed. If our D plays like that every week I would be content. Eventually we will score some points all will be good again. Give up 9 points and the D is bad? Gimme a break.

ThatGuy246
09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Honestly, I'm just a lay observer, but I think a lot of credit needs to be given to the Stillers D. Bangpow has a point - we're overlooking the fact that the Jags offensive crew is no joke. Factoring that into the time of possession that others have noted, they did a very commendable - if not outright tremendous - job of stopping Leftwich & the gang. Only letting nine points up when your offense isn't clicking is nothing of which to be ashamed.

I wouldn't automatically assume that they'll be able to smother the Bengals offense, but if last night's performance was any indicator, I'd say they have a good shot at posing a formidable bump in the road for Palmer, Johnson & Co....

-DJ

Black@Gold Forever32
09-19-2006, 03:04 PM
How can anybody question the defense last night? Thats just retarded. They only gave up 9 points. Plus only 3 through 3 quarters. Come people think alittle bit before posting. It was clear that Troy's shoulder is alittle more serious then orginally thought. He was favoring his shoulder and really was only playing with one arm.

The offensive line and Ben being rusty were the main reasons we lost. No excuse though. The Jags out played us.

SteelersNationsfl
09-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Um were we watching the same game. Our defense played an awesome game last night to only allow 9 points. Stop crying about it.

Midnightwriter07
09-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I am harsh on our pass D... but we missed alot of tackles last night. For the amount of time they were on the field i can see why and see why... We defiantely played well enough to win, though when i saw Cowher chewing out taylor and Carter.. i was happy cause too much missed tackles.

Our offense is what was bad and i dont care about Ben being rusty or sick or whatever it was ... the offensive line was just flat out disappointing... We are SUPPOSE to have if not the best, then close to the best in the league and we pretty much stunk it up on the O LINE. I continuously saw Jax defenders at the ball upfield while players had there back turned or were still trying to get to the spot to block. I am sure Grimm will get that fixed and i do expect alot of ass chewing in the upcoming weeks.

In all honesty.. we didnt look any better than Oakland or Tenn up front.. it was constant pressure and nowhere to run... If anyone was grading, you would have to give them an F.

SteelersNationsfl
09-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Time of Poss:

Steelers: 22:35

Jags: 37:25

3rd down Conversions:

Steelers: 3-13

Jags: 6-18

Sounds like a tired defense to me.

Yeah, last time I checked that's only 33% on 3rd down for the Jags. That is a horrible staff and I'm sure that Jacksonvilles coach was not too thrilled with thier offensive performance last night. Eventhough they got down the field and scored 3 field goals. What if our offense was running at par rather than sub-par? The Jags played a really good defensive game but, we could have opened it up a bit in the 2nd half.

Tigers_61
09-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Defense has some improvements but overall they kept us in the game. The Jags have a very good offense with those three big WRs and a healthy Taylor, not to mention Leftwhich who was accurate as heck last night with his little out patterns.

Remember, the Steeler's philosophy, even though I don't think they'll admit it out loud, is bend but don't break. Give up the 7 yard out pattern and 7 yard slant but don't give up any big plays. If in fact that is their philosophy like I think it is, they executed it to perfection last night!