PDA

View Full Version : BIG BENJIMEN

19ward86
09-19-2006, 02:05 PM
WOW, BEN........HIS THROWS WERE OFF. THE MATHIS INTERCEPTION WAS WAAAAY LEFT. I LOVE BEN AS OUR QB BUT BATCH SHOULD OF PLAYED THE LAST 1.5-2 QUARTERS. 0 POINTS.....R U SERIOUS, I WOULD OF TOOKEN ST PIERRE INSTEAD OF BEN. HE MADE HORRIBLE DECESIONS AND WORSE THROWS.

ThatGuy246
09-19-2006, 02:10 PM
The guy hasn't played a full game in seven months, and is recovering from several major incidents. I'll agree that I'm not 110% sure it was wise to have him start this game, but once he has, would you really risk jeopardizing his confidence by pulling him half way through? Then we've got long-term problems... Besides, better to have him get used to the pace and taking the hits now then against a divisional opponent next week...

C'mon, Roethlisberger has done more than enough to earn our trust in the past few years...let's continue that faith. Everyone has bad days, and it isn't hard to imagine having one after the few months that he has...he's still Big Ben, our team is still the Pittsburgh Steelers, and there's nothing to indicate that they're planning on calling our faith into question anytime soon.

-DJ

19ward86
09-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I RESPECT HIM FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE BUT IT IS MORE ABOUT "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?" HE NEEDED TO PLAY BUT NOT FOR THE WHOLE GAME.

Buzz05
09-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Would you rather him come back next week and play the same way and loose to a division opponent?

Prosdo
09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
He had to come back sometime and knock the rust off. I would prefer it be the Jacksonville game then against the Bengals who are a division opponent.

19ward86
09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
NO, THAT IS WHY I SAID HE SHOULD OF STARTED 2 MAYBE 3 QUARTERS INSTEAD OF ALL.

Prosdo
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I think he was fine with all of them. Sure wasn't the best game, but it's not like our OL, running game, or even WR's were playing much better. Also please lose the all caps.

Da Question
09-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I felt like that game was a rust game, almost a gimme game, start ben, get him some throws, give him some opportunites to win and if we lose, better jacksonville then a division game like cinc. willie only carried the ball what 10-15 times tops. Get ben ready for a long season in front of us with more important games (division) in my opinion we should have started batch, but bens got to get the rust out somewhere, better sooner then later when it could count.

SteelersWyo
09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
After having his jaw wired shut then another surgery that surely resulted in living on hospital food for a couple days he has lost a lot of wieght. And with that comes losing strength. He may never be back this year to the size and strength he was last year. I think you could see that in his throws. Not a lot of zip on them and he seemed to use more body and less arm. That changes the mechanics and accuracy.

HometownGal
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
WOW, BEN........HIS THROWS WERE OFF. THE MATHIS INTERCEPTION WAS WAAAAY LEFT. I LOVE BEN AS OUR QB BUT BATCH SHOULD OF PLAYED THE LAST 1.5-2 QUARTERS. 0 POINTS.....R U SERIOUS, I WOULD OF TOOKEN ST PIERRE INSTEAD OF BEN. HE MADE HORRIBLE DECESIONS AND WORSE THROWS.

Seriously, 19ward - let me ask you something here. Would you be able to perform at 100% at your job if you had experienced a broken jaw,, facial fractures, a 10 hour surgery to repair those fractures and an emergency appendectomy all within the span of 90 days? Believe me - I more than the average Jane understand Ben's determination to get back in and do the job he is being paid to do - a job he truly loves and excels at. Yes - he had a temp of 104 earlier in the day and didn't play all that well, but neither did the rest of the O or the OL. You win as a team and you also lose as a team. As I said in a prior post in another thread, I don't think there are too many other NFL QBs out there who could have penetrated that Jags' defense last night. They were that good.

ThatGuy246
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I RESPECT HIM FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE BUT IT IS MORE ABOUT "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?" HE NEEDED TO PLAY BUT NOT FOR THE WHOLE GAME.

I do see what you're saying, that maybe he could've shaken the rust off while subsequently allowing Batch to take over. But the trade-off to that is that you pose a legitimate threat to his confidence for, quite possibly, the remainder of the season. As I said, and now several others have agreed, let him knock the rust off and get comfortable with the game again before we face an opponent that poses an obstacle to the AFC North title... Maybe Batch could've made a difference - I'm certainly not denying he's got skills, including possibly some nunchuck skills - but in the long run, I'd rather take an early loss and get the Big Ben we've come to know & love back for the remainder of the season...

Livinginthe past
09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Two words - big picture.

If the Steelers are going to make it to the playoffs and do more damage this year it will be because Ben led them there - if you have to sacrafice a slight dip in QB performance for one game early in the season - you do it.

I think Batch is solid, nothing more - with no running game he would have struggled just as much as Ben last night.

I think its possible that some people are getting carried away with the YAC that were tacked onto Batch's stats last time out against Miami.

Oh and major props to Ben for taking that huge hit to the tender ribs area with just a grimace and nothing more.

That boy is a gamer.

NM

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
After having his jaw wired shut then another surgery that surely resulted in living on hospital food for a couple days he has lost a lot of wieght. And with that comes losing strength. He may never be back this year to the size and strength he was last year. I think you could see that in his throws. Not a lot of zip on them and he seemed to use more body and less arm. That changes the mechanics and accuracy.

I would agree that Ben's mechanics may be off due to conditioning issues and pain from the torque of throwing while your abdomen is still healing, except that is an observation Theismann made during the broadcast and my assumption is that anything Theismann says is wrong. If Jaworski says it, then I will believe it.

Let's face it - Ben's appendectomy was another bump in the road and his first game back was not going to be easy. Add to that the Jax D was going to require more passing, a pumped crowd, a humid night, and Ben not feeling well. Not too surprising how it turned out.

Looks like a week of despair until hopefully all once again is well around 4:15 on sunday.