PDA

View Full Version : Jags-Steelers highest rated cable show since 1993

Atlanta Dan
09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
ESPN's Monday night NFL game was watched by more viewers than any show in cable TV history except a 1993 debate between Al Gore and Ross Perot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2595034

That is an incredible rating for a 9-0 game.

For those of us who have been riding for a while the bandwagon has a lot of new passengers, but I believe it is fair to say America's Team doesn't play in Dallas anymore.

Man_Of_Steel
09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Man thats awesome. The STEELERS are Americas team. Absolutely no doubt about it!

SteelCityMan786
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
No question. When your the champs. That many eyes want to watch you.

Steelers
09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
It was probably only counting the start of the game haha. Can't imagine all the casuals staying tuned at 10:00 halftime with the score 0-0.

Still impressive though.

Illinois Steel
09-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Some people still appreciate a good defensive battle once n awhile.
To me it was a great game with a real sucky outcome.

Lyn
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I wonder how many of those millions had the audio muted.:sofunny:

:tt02:

24seven
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
No doubt.. those announcers bug the hell out of me. specially Joe and the other white dude.. he says the most idotic things that only he would think of.. Comes up with scenerios that are so outrageous he just makes himself sound like a complete ass..

WhoIsMattJones?
09-20-2006, 06:39 PM
there is always alot of people watchin when the jags and steelers play, the 2 best teams in the AFC..

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2006, 06:46 PM
there is always alot of people watchin when the jags and steelers play, the 2 best teams in the AFC..

Monday night's rating reflects why the NFL tells the networks what they will pay and other sports have to fight for every $.

Baseball needs to pray for a Yankees-Red Sox playoff series every year to get decent ratings and the NBA is lost if the Lakers do not make it to the finals (test patterns get higher ratings than hockey).

The NFL gets the ratings even when 2 small market taems like the Steelers and Jax meet -it is the product and not the size of the markets that sells the NFL.

WhoIsMattJones?
09-20-2006, 06:49 PM
yeah agree, the size of the market does not matter its the quality of the teams. man mondays game was a complete slug-fest on defense. even though it was the lowest scoring monday nigh game in history it was still great 2 see 2 great defenses go at it.

wiqidjuggalo
09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I wonder how many of those millions had the audio muted.:sofunny:

I have the audio muted for every game and i listen to the radio crew on 102.5 WDVE

Hawk Believer
09-20-2006, 09:42 PM
What ESPN isn't noting is that the share they recieved is about half what MNF used to draw on ABC. They are going to have to draw a lot more viewers than that if they want to make back the money they spent to buy MNF.

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
What ESPN isn't noting is that the share they recieved is about half what MNF used to draw on ABC. They are going to have to draw a lot more viewers than that if they want to make back the money they spent to buy MNF.

ESPN paid through the nose for MNF (much more than NBC is paying for the Sunday night package, which unlike the MNF package includes Super Bowls) in large part to keep the NFL from selling the MNF games to Fox Sports or Comcast as the foundation for a rival cable sports network. Carrying as addictive a product as the NFL also gives ESPN programming to jack up carrying charges to cable companies while keeping ESPN as part of a basic cable package rather than in a separate tiered level of channels that require customers to pay extra $$ (the fight Time Warner and NFL Network are having right now).

The fact that ESPN is drawing bigger ratings for its Monday night package than last year's ESPN Sunday night games (when overall viewing is higher on Sunday) leads me to believe ESPN is not blowing smoke when it claims to be happy with the ratings. They knew going in cable ratings are never going to match network ratings for the same product, but the fees paid by ESPN were never based on an assumption the ESPN ratings would match the ABC ratings for the same product.