PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for JoePA to retire?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Yeah I know we have a PSU thread, but the legend himself deserves his own ;)

So whatcha think, is he holding on too long?

BB2W
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I think it is sad that Paterno could not end his carrer on top. I am not sure why they are not an elite football program anymore. I dont think Joe Pa is to blame.......he is a statue. He does not call the plays.

I do think play calling is far to conservative, but the last 4 bad seasons can all be blamed on Zack Mills. He is the worst QB I have ever seen play. He was on some teams with great defenses.

I am not sure that todays athlete or recruit identifies with Paterno, and they dont seem to respond.

He always lets upper-classmen play and is more concerned with graduation rate than win loss record and tha NCAA needs more people like that.

I will miss him when he's gone, but I look forward to him stepping down and I think that should be whenever he is ready

clevestinks
07-07-2005, 06:56 PM
i would have like to see him leave with a descent season. But he has probably hung on too long, but you cannot ask him to leave, he has to be able to make his own descision! I`m hoping for a +.500 season then a sweet goodbye!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2005, 09:08 PM
The lions have a few very good players, but overall, the talent level just isnt there for the forseeable future for him unfortunately.

makaveli_steeler36
07-07-2005, 11:39 PM
as much as all the penn state fans here have told me they hate nebraska, penn state is my second favorite college football team. i would be sad to see him retire, but i think it is time he did. he is already one of the best ever and has nothing to prove. i hope he goes out a winner like osborne did

Prosdo
07-08-2005, 12:53 AM
I have to agree. I would hate to see him go, but I think the time is coming soon.

Blitzburgh55
07-15-2005, 03:46 PM
yea it is he needs to go

Mean Machine
07-16-2005, 11:31 AM
The guy should of retired 10 years ago! Drink some brews, go fishing, sit in any easy chair...Enjoy the remaining years of your life, JoePA!

clevestinks
07-17-2005, 06:36 PM
needs to go, but DESERVES to stay.

ironcitychef
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Deserves as long as he has a plan. Can't remember after Arrington, a Lion getting drafted high? A little help here...

BB2W
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Deserves as long as he has a plan. Can't remember after Arrington, a Lion getting drafted high? A little help here...

Lavar was selected 2nd overall in 2000. He was actually picked behind his Penn State teammate Courtney Brown who was the first overall pick by the Browns.

In 2003 Penn State had four players selected in the first round.....

- Jimmy Kennedy .......Rams DT..........12th pick
- Michael Haynes ........Bears DE..........14th pick
- Bryant Johnson ........Cardinals WR....17th pick
- Larry Johnson ..........Chiefs RB .........27th pick

ironcitychef
07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
With that answered, and those guys gone, who is left to replace. Just seems other big schools don't take as long to retool as Penn State does now.

Lyn
07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Do you know the difference between Papa Joe and God? Papa Joe wears glasses.

If Papa Joe wants to stay he SHOULD stay, he DESERVES to do anything he wants to do.
When a person gets older they should spend their "golden years" any way they want and obviously like anything else all of our ideas on what one should do vary, if we agreed it would be a pretty boring world. :)

stillers4strife
07-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Joe PA is a legend. No doubt about that. But it's time for him to head off into the sunset if the expectation is for Penn St. to get better. He can stick around, but the sub .500 seasons will continue.

I do agree with BB2W that Zack Mills was one of the worst QB's I've ever seen attempt to lead a major college football team. Just unreal how awful he was.

ironcitychef
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Lets just give an example of what I fear. Sub .500 seasons continue(slight tarnish to a great career) and Joe decides to keep at it. Finally school and boosters force hime out(even more of a tarnish). My thought is unless he produces a winning team/championship level, then he isn't doing anything a new guy couldn't do. And he will be doing it at the cost of his career and the University. Better walk out when you have choice. I was always told its not hard to know when to get in, its hard to know when to get out. Like Favre, what is worse... hanging it up a year early, or getting benched and having that be your last image. I do want Joe to have a great lasting moment to walk away with, but I worry it might have already happened.

SteelCityMan786
08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
No Need To Retire For Joe Paterno.