PDA

View Full Version : Maddox eyeing a return to the league?

ThatGuy246
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted, but I thought some people on these boards might find it interesting:

"Some interesting names made the rounds. New England worked out veteran quarterbacks Tommy Maddox and Todd Bouman. But Maddox was planning to go from New England to Oakland, where he also was scheduled to visit; Aaron Brooks is nursing a sore shoulder."

(Excerpted from: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9671807)

Despite how his career in Black & Gold ended, I think the guy is a class act and wouldn't mind seeing him have another chance elsewhere. But honestly, I have tremendous difficulty seeing him in Black & Silver or on the home sidelines at Foxboro...

Again, apologies if this is a duplicate. Take care!

-DJ

Ohio Steeler
09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Maddox will make a fine waterboy for some team

HometownGal
09-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Despite how his career in Black & Gold ended, I think the guy is a class act and wouldn't mind seeing him have another chance elsewhere. -DJ

I'm kind of shocked that Tommy wants to continue his career in the NFL. After both of his injuries, I think he kind of lost the heart for the game itself, but hey - more power to him and I wish him only the best. :smile: I definitely agree that the guy is a class act. Even though he isn't a Steeler any longer, he still maintains his foundation for underprivileged children and that speaks volumes about his true character.

HometownGal
09-20-2006, 01:59 PM

I shouldn't ask this, as the last thing I want to do is continue to beat this horse that refuses to die around here, but did you feel the same way during the 2002 season? No need to answer - I think I already know what the response will be.

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Please, please, please have Maddox sign with the Raiders and play against the Steelers!!!

ROETTI
09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Please, please, please have Maddox sign with the Raiders and play against the Steelers!!!

Actually Oakland would be a good fit for him. There's no doubt they need a QB

sumo
09-20-2006, 02:14 PM

Dude! -- Maddox was a stud in the Wrestling League -- he was right up there with "he hate me"

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I think Tommy is a great QB. Remember he was come back player of the year for us??
However, ever since he took that hit that partially paralyzed him he has been missing somehitng in his game.......

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Actually Oakland would be a good fit for him. There's no doubt they need a QB

I do not believe Oakland is a good fit for anyone these days (just ask Whiz).

For someone with Maddox'a lack of mobility and understandable reluctance (after being paralyzed in 2002) to take a hit, being behind the Raiders O-line is the last place he wants to be.

Ohio Steeler
09-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Dude! -- Maddox was a stud in the Wrestling League -- he was right up there with "he hate me"

my bad:dang:

ThatGuy246
09-20-2006, 02:46 PM
For someone with Maddox'a lack of mobility and understandable reluctance (after being paralyzed in 2002) to take a hit, being behind the Raiders O-line is the last place he wants to be.

Very valid point. I can't imagine how it must be to take a blow like that, and then step back onto the field. I'll always remember cringing when I saw it and feeling bad for him a lot more so than the team - such a great story, and who knows how it'd have played out were it not for that?

Regardless, I'd hate for him to have his NFL career ended as it did last year - to step up and at least win another game, or even lose with dignity, would be nice to see. He's a good guy, and, barring some bad days - who doesn't have them? - he did us pretty well when he was our starter. I think we should all be able to raise a glass to the guy and wish him the absolute best.

-DJ

ThatGuy246
09-20-2006, 02:55 PM
And, as an aside - I hate replying to my own post - I'd like to thank you all for showing some interest in the few posts I've made thus far. I was born & raised in Pittsburgh, though life has taken me elsewhere in the past few years. I lived abroad for a few years, but each week without fail, I made my way to an internet cafe to listen to Stillers games via NFL Field Pass, and then watched them a few days later thanks to my equally-devoted father who faithfully recorded each and every one on DVD and express mailed them to me.

Though always a devout Steelers fan, I used to be less-than-enthused about my Pittsburgh roots. Having lived in several major U.S. cities, as well as three major European cities, I can't imagine anywhere better to have been raised than Pittsburgh. I live in upstate New York now, but it's abundantly clear to anyone entering my apartment that I'm a very proud Pittsburgher at heart. It's good to know that there is such a tremendously loyal following of individuals who are equally, if not more, devoted to my city & my team(s). (Yes, I know - I still faithfully follow the Pirates and the Penguins. They may not have had the same success of late, but their time will come...we're the City of Champions for a reason.)

Take care, all, and I look forward to many spirited discussions with everyone!

-DJ

ROETTI
09-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Very valid point. I can't imagine how it must be to take a blow like that, and then step back onto the field. I'll always remember cringing when I saw it and feeling bad for him a lot more so than the team - such a great story, and who knows how it'd have played out were it not for that?

Regardless, I'd hate for him to have his NFL career ended as it did last year - to step up and at least win another game, or even lose with dignity, would be nice to see. He's a good guy, and, barring some bad days - who doesn't have them? - he did us pretty well when he was our starter. I think we should all be able to raise a glass to the guy and wish him the absolute best.

-DJ

I couldn't agree more, no one deserves to have their career end that way, especially a former Steeler like Maddux.

Big D
09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
how can anyone say good things about him after snubbing the white house ceremony. Maddox a class act? would a class act snub his teammates like that?

HometownGal
09-20-2006, 03:47 PM
how can anyone say good things about him after snubbing the white house ceremony. Maddox a class act? would a class act snub his teammates like that?

Prolly because some of us appreciate him for what he did for our team in 2002 and the contributions he made to Ben's development (from Ben's own words) instead of bashing him incessantly because he had a few bad games like every Steelers and NFL QB has had at some point during their careers and will have in the future. Can you say with certainty why Maddox missed the White House ceremony? I don't think he ever explained why and at this point, I don't care why. He is no longer a Steeler and wasn't a Steeler when the ceremony was held, so really - who gives a rat's patoot? :dang:

To be quite honest, though - with the way Maddox was treated here by the fans, he doesn't owe them an explanation.

tony hipchest
09-20-2006, 03:55 PM
allow me to take this time to say LMAO @ THE PATRIOTS!!!!

Midnightwriter07
09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I have no idea what happened to him in his last games in Pittsburgh.. whatever it was but it just didnt work out... I am sure he hopes he gets on somewhere... Oakland would probably be his best chance to play, but N.E would be his best chance to be on a winning team and not end up being in the emergency room... Wish him well.

Lyn
09-20-2006, 04:52 PM

I completely agree with you! I do not recall any player NBA, NFL, etc ever missing an opportunity to meet the President, it was very disrespectful on Maddox's part and rudeness has nothing to do with the game of football.

This was a blurp in the Trib 7.24.06:

Tommy Maddox, QB - Declined invitation to White House, pursuing career in golf.

Stlrs4Life
09-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm kind of shocked that Tommy wants to continue his career in the NFL. After both of his injuries, I think he kind of lost the heart for the game itself, but hey - more power to him and I wish him only the best. :smile: I definitely agree that the guy is a class act. Even though he isn't a Steeler any longer, he still maintains his foundation for underprivileged children and that speaks volumes about his true character.

Totally agree. I also don't believe the Patriots would sign him.

HometownGal
09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Maddox counts as a QB?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Z0h_c9eH-8

:wink02:

19ward86
09-20-2006, 08:32 PM
i know guys will disagree with me but i really think some of u guys are carrying this tommy thing way out of line. he isnt a bad qb he just had 1 bad year. he isnt perfect but he did break his throwing arm and that does affect him. i think he can bounce back and be the starter(until aaron brooks) gets back for the raiders.

Ohio Steeler
09-21-2006, 03:13 AM
Maddoxis the same as Kerry Collins with less mobility and a weaker arm. Why would the Raiders want him anyway?

because they are the Raiders and do stuid crap like that, however I dont se him going to oakland I do however see him going to Cleveland and if he comes back that is who I belive it will be with

stlrtruck
09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Let him go to Oakland then we'd have a chance to beat on him.

My personal feeling is this. IF after playing for the BnG you want to play some more, then we should have a chance to show you why you shouldn't have come back and played. In this case, our defense gets to beat on him awhile!

klick81
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Welp, he worked out with them:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/21/SPGBHL9KBB1.DTL

Stlrs4Life
09-21-2006, 06:39 PM

Snubbing the steelers on the visit, was classless. Snubbing W, who cares.

HometownGal
09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah? Well, http://youtube.com/watch?v=qDBW_W6gbkY

I wish Janet Jackson made a video called "Singlehandedly Cost Your Team Two Football Games and Almost Make Them Miss the Playoffs," but that was the best I could do on short notice.

Are you going to keep up this rant until you're in your 90's reserve? :dang: The guy is GONE from the Steelers - why continue to belabor his downfalls over and over and over again like a broken record? I'll bet dollars to donuts that you and the other Maddox hate clubbers out there were jumping for joy when Tommy replaced Kordell and saved the season in 2002, taking us to the second round of the playoffs. I'll bet you accidentally on purpose forget that he basically (to use your words) single-handedly brought the Steelers back against the Browns in the first round of those playoffs and also almost single-handedly (wow - I like that word) took us to the AFCC that season had it not been for Nedney's world-renowned Academy Award performance. Poor Ben. You'll turn on him too when he has a bad game or two or a string of bad games (which he already has). I'd bet my life on it.

Pssssst - I believe Ben threw an INT to Mathis this past Monday which was almost returned for a TD - 1 yard shy. Had it not been for the pure class of Jack Del Rio, the score would have been 16-0. I wouldn't have blamed Ben "single-handedly" - can you say the same?

P.S. I will agree with you that he single-handedly lost the Jax game but I will vehemently disagree with you that he was solely responsible for the loss to the Rats last season.

Atlanta Dan
09-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Hometown Gal

My problem with Maddox was not due primarily to his abysmal performance in the Jax game but how he deflected blame towards everyone else after the game and then let his agent spew that nonsensical story about trash on the yard and his kids getting hassled on the school bus. His wife had the integrity to say the story was not true but by that point the national media was running with the story (which doofus Paul McQuire was still erroneously reporting over a month later on the Sunday night Cleveland game) about "obsessed" Steeler fans that your hero from 2002 did not have the balls to repudiate.

Contrast Maddox's post-Jax comments with Ben's post-Jax comments in assuming responsibility if you want to see why Maddox is held in low esteem by so many (including, I am fairly confident, Cowher).

As for your repeated defenses of Maddox, more power to you, even though by this point we are well aware of your position. But boo frickity hoo are you going to keep up your pro-Maddox rants against anyone who will not drink the Tommy Gun Kool Aid into your
90s or are you willing to recognize there might be some rational basis for why Maddox is disliked by so many? :)

We are as entitled to slam him as you are to defend him.

NM

X-Terminator
09-22-2006, 12:53 AM
This is freaking ridiculous that once again, I have to set the record straight on this:

http://news.steelers.com/article/57965/

I'm still looking for where he flat-out blamed ANYONE for his play in that game. He was asked questions and answered them honestly. He even said this in response to a question about forcing throws to make plays:

We fought through and had a chance to win in regulation and a chance to win in overtime but I didn’t get it done.

But of course, you want to hate him SO much that you conveniently overlook that. As for the wind being a factor, of course it was - Jeff Reed even said so, not once but TWICE:

Does the wind swirl a lot more on the field, because it looked like the wind was straight toward the river.

“The flags up top are not an indication of anything that’s what everyone looks at. It’s usually opposite of what’s going on up top. This game was probably the third-most windy – around that range – that I’ve ever played in. It was consistent all game. It didn’t really die down. It was swirling. It was all over the place. You never really knew what you were going to get.”

[B]Did that play a role in the one that you missed a little wide to the right?

“I aimed it right outside the right upright because [the wind] was going hard-left. It just stayed out there. I wish it would have gone the other way, inside the upright. But it just barely missed outside. It was pretty much where I played it. It kind of back-fired on me. But if I play it down the middle, and it goes way left, it’s obvious that the wind was going toward that end the whole game.

Reed gets a pass for saying so, but when Maddox does, you can't wait to bash him. Nice double-standard there. As for the story about the trash being thrown in his yard, he said in an interview back in February that the story was overblown:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06050/657671.stm

"There were a few things I had to pick up and put in the trash can," Maddox said. "It was blown way out of proportion. I was never scared or worried."

Thus blowing your argument about Maddox "not having the balls to repudiate" the story right out of the water.

But I'm sure none of this will matter to you or any of the other Maddox haters, because you can't help but drink the Maddox Haterade and follow in lockstep with whatever the media tells you, rather than read for yourself and make up your own mind. I really hope to God that Ben plays well this week, because I can already see the wolves circling him as soon as he falters.

NV STEELERS 723
09-22-2006, 12:57 AM
I was with the rest of you....let Maddox be a Raider and Troy will have 4 INT's ....and I bet the Raider Nation will wait for him after the game...

83-Steelers-43
09-22-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm not sure which is more amazing........the chance of somebody actually signing Tommy Maddox after his performance last season or the fact that a thread dealing with a player who is no longer on our roster has reached four pages.

ThatGuy246
09-22-2006, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure which is more amazing........the chance of somebody actually signing Tommy Maddox after his performance last season or the fact that a thread dealing with a player who is no longer on our roster has reached four pages.

The latter half of that is wholly my fault, for which I apologize to the moderators and staff here at SteelersFever. I thought that the story would be of some interest considering his long-standing ties to the Steeler organization. Unfortunately, being a member of all of five days here, I was unaware of the equally long-standing debate regarding his 'worthiness' of his Black & Gold legacy.

Like it or not, this guy was given a virtually impossible task. He stepped up where Kordell was no longer able to, and did so in a huge way. He had remarkable success considering his history, and he gave us some legitimacy when we weren't exactly in our most stellar era. His last few games weren't the things of highlight reels, and he was replaced. He no longer wears the Steelers uniform, so I can't see why people harbor such resentment toward him - when he had to step up in the clutch again for Ben, he didn't do so well. A few bad games - the significance of which I realize - shouldn't make us hate the guy.

Hey, he was never exactly bound for Canton. No need to berate him any further - granted, something that I precipitated. Is it possible to close this thread down?

Many thanks,

-DJ

83-Steelers-43
09-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Is it possible to close this thread down?

By no means were my comments directed towards you. Please don't take offense. I'm just amazed that a guy who no longer sports the B&G receives this much attention. That's all. I'm just going to move it to the "NFL Football" section of the board.

Big D
09-22-2006, 01:31 AM
ok all correct me if i'm wrong here. But wasnt there in article in the gazette in which cowher said he would sign jeff george ahead of maddox if they needed to sign a quarterback because of the way maddox treated the steelers organization. He skipped out on the ceremony at the white house for golf? i mean come on boys and girls. He had one good year. He saved us from our alleged gay quarterback kordell stewart. The steelers saved maddox from the xfl and this is the freaking respect he shows the orgainzation.

X-Terminator
09-22-2006, 01:32 AM
He no longer wears the Steelers uniform, so I can't see why people harbor such resentment toward him - when he had to step up in the clutch again for Ben, he didn't do so well. A few bad games - the significance of which I realize - shouldn't make us hate the guy.

Are you kidding? You're talking about Steelers fans here, where anything short of perfection is unacceptable. If Maddox or any other QB don't get down on their hands and knees and beg for forgiveness, he automatically becomes a pariah and everything good he has ever done gets thrown right out the window. Need any more proof? Look at what our "fans" did to Terry Bradshaw, a 4-time SB champion and 2-time SB MVP that led him to totally shun the city and fans for nearly two decades. So what Maddox (and ultimately Ben) had to endure after a few bad games is simply business as usual.

X-Terminator
09-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Because it's so easy, that's why.

In all seriousness, though, even in 2002, I still gulped a little bit every time Maddox threw the ball. Even though we were winning, he still barely had more TDs than interceptions (look it up), and you wondered if he was really that good, or just on a hot streak. We won back then because the whole team ws good, as we did with themuch-maligned Kordell, and the now much-maligned O'Donnell.

Besides the fact that Maddox is fresh in our minds, the sheer level of incompetence he displayed last year was more than Kordell or O'Donnell can claim. Those two had some bad games from time to time, but Maddox looked confused and even scared in a way that told you the game had passed him by. There's a difference between looking like you're capable but in a slump, and looking like you're in way over your head.

This was far worse than your normal QB difficulties, and it came *THAT* close to costing us a Super Bowl, for chrissakes. In the two weeks leading up to Super Bowl XL, I literally had a nightmare TWO TIMES where I went to my dad's house on game day, and he told me they said in the pregame show that Roethlisberger and Batch were both hurt, so Maddox was starting in the Super Bowl, and then I woke up sweating.

THAT'S why I continue the Maddox-bashing. He was bad enough to wake me up in the middle of the f***ing night, for chrissakes. Not even Kordell could do that.

Sorry man, but when a football game and player has THAT much of an impact in your life, there's something seriously wrong. A game should never, EVER have that much importance.

Golden Wave
09-22-2006, 05:45 AM
when he came to pittsburgh, he was our savior. now look at all of you.
pathetic.
and i wouldnt want to go see the president either. reason, because he's an idiot.

HometownGal
09-22-2006, 07:31 AM
There's a difference between looking like you're capable but in a slump, and looking like you're in way over your head.

This was far worse than your normal QB difficulties, and it came *THAT* close to costing us a Super Bowl, for chrissakes.

I agree that Tommy looked like a deer in the headlights out there and maybe after the second major injury he suffered - a torn tendon in his throwing arm - he should have hung up the cleats, but he didn't.

If you stop and think about it, had Troy not returned Favre's fumble for a TD against the Pack, we could say much the same thing about Charlie, as he was stinking up the stadium with his play that day. I know, I know - he was shaking off the rust, but so was Maddox if you look at the big picture. Charlie actually played more in the pre-season - three times as much - as Maddox did in the 2005 preseason. Go over to nfl.com and take a peek.

I am no Maddox apologist, as I clearly agree that his poor play against the Jags cost us that game, but as I've said repeatedly on this board, I tend to remember each and every member who wore the black and gold for their accomplishments and contributions, not their downfalls, as all professional athletes have their ebbs and tides. Tommy was a huge part of our success in the 2002 season and that is what I remember him for the most, not for one horrific performance last season after having not played since the early part of the 2004 season. I also admire him for his huge contributions to Ben's development, as Ben has himself stated many times. All of that being said - I think Tommy lost his heart and desire for the game and has a fear of being hit and injured again and I'm quite shocked that he is even considering a return, but I refuse to look back and bash a player who I felt made a huge contribution to this team in the 2002 season. Had it not been for Nedney's acting performance, who really knows how far that team would have gone that season? We simply don't.

sumo
09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I still say Maddox wasn't ever that great, even in 2002. He had a decent year that season, but not a great one. He wasn't very good in 2003, and then he completely went off the cliff. It's not so much "what have you done for me lately?" as "what have you done for me?"

Dude! -- It isn't what have you done for the Steelers -- it's what have you done for the LA Express or Steam or Lawyers -- whatever that Wrestling League team was -- he won a championship for them along with 'he hate me', he was the most valuable player of the league, so quit dissing him - or Jesse 'the body' Ventura is going to mess you up...

WWIIOwheelz
09-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Maddox burned a lot of teams that stacked the box in his early time, here. Pittsburgh having a legitimate pocket QB was like having Mike Tyson fight you like Sugar Ray Leanord, all of a sudden, and whip your ass while you waited for the big guns.

Once the opposition figured him out, he didn't have a prayer. Took quite a load off the Bus for a season or two, though.

Ben has been a blessing.