PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeff Fisher In Meltdown?

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Jeff Fisher is second only to Cowher in longevity with one team, but this article in which Fisher lashes out at Volek after Volek said he got stiffed by the Titans appears to be another indication that Fisher's days with the Titans may be numbered.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-FBN-Titans-QBs.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

In many ways I thought Fisher and Cowher had similar career tracks (players' coaches, teams with smashmouth style of play, early success in career). The difference is Cowher pulled out of his late '90s dip but Fisher appears to be heading to a truly awful season this year and has never come close to repeating his 1999-2000 successes.

My view is that even successful coaches wear out their welcome/burn out in one place after about 10 years - Fisher's conduct leads me to question at this point only whether he is gone after this year (he will be back somewhere else soon enough) or is dumped during the season.

Odd man out in all this may be Norman Chow, who left USC to be Titans' O-coordinator. Hard to see Chow being kept on if Fisher is tossed.

Livinginthe past
09-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I think Fischer is still highly respected for his coaching ability and what he has achieved.

I think he is just frustrated at the fallout from his teams efforts to make a run at SB glory by piling all their resources into a McNair led window of footballing oppostunity.

The resulting cap nightmare has prevented him from putting out a team that has any chnace of reaching the playoffs in the last couple of years.

Its must be a huge come down to go from winning the division in 2002, tying for 1st place in 2003 and to then crash down to earth with 5-11 and 4-12 seasons.

The sad part is that it was so predictable.

NM

augustashark
09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
I think Fischer is still highly respected for his coaching ability and what he has achieved.

I think he is just frustrated at the fallout from his teams efforts to make a run at SB glory by piling all their resources into a McNair led window of footballing oppostunity.

The resulting cap nightmare has prevented him from putting out a team that has any chnace of reaching the playoffs in the last couple of years.

Its must be a huge come down to go from winning the division in 2002, tying for 1st place in 2003 and to then crash down to earth with 5-11 and 4-12 seasons.

The sad part is that it was so predictable.

NM

I agree, but it all (IMO) falls to the ownership. Bud Adams is not much of an owner imo. Lets not forget he left HOUSTON to move to Nashville! Houston? How the hell can you not get it done in a city of this size and that loves football as much as they do. Just goes to show you, It all starts at the very top!

Livinginthe past
09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree, but it all (IMO) falls to the ownership. Bud Adams is not much of an owner imo. Lets not forget he left HOUSTON to move to Nashville! Houston? How the hell can you not get it done in a city of this size and that loves football as much as they do. Just goes to show you, It all starts at the very top!

Yep.

I'd put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the owners aswell - they are the guys who call the shots for strategies like that.

I certainly dont dislike the Titans in any way, but its interesting to watch teams like that go off like fireworks for a couple of seasons then suddenly burn out....and fall back to earth.

NM

RoethlisBURGHer
09-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I think if he doesn't get fired,he's gonna quit.

He'll be in one of two places most likley...San Diego or Baltimore.

boLT fan
09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I think if he doesn't get fired,he's gonna quit.

He'll be in one of two places most likley...San Diego or Baltimore.

How do you figure he'll go to either one of those places? Both are winning and keeping their jobs secured unless either team has a meltdown near the end of the season. :coffee:

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2006, 05:29 PM
How do you figure he'll go to either one of those places? Both are winning and keeping their jobs secured unless either team has a meltdown near the end of the season. :coffee:

Marty is on thin ice in San Diego (I think he does not just need to make the playoffs but get to the AFC Championship or he is gone) and Billick is gone if he does not make the playoffs this year

sumo
09-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Odd man out in all this may be Norman Chow, who left USC to be Titans' O-coordinator. Hard to see Chow being kept on if Fisher is tossed.[/QUOTE]

Norm Chow is the man - I hope he gets a shot at being a head coach in the NFL -- I have followed his whole career... It's ironic that he does not have a QB to coach right now because the guy is a QB genius -- if they let him spend a couple of years with Vince - he will turn him into a stud -unfortunately, most NFL teams have no patience for this --

boLT fan
09-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Marty is on thin ice in San Diego (I think he does not just need to make the playoffs but get to the AFC Championship or he is gone) and Billick is gone if he does not make the playoffs this year

I know he and Aj have been fighting, and I think he can make to at least the AFC Championship this year. Even if he doesn't i'm hoping Aj Smith realizes that getting a new coach would be a setback and Marty gives us the best chance to win right now.

As for Billick it looks like he could be a horrible coach this year and the Ravens would still make the playoffs.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM

If Marty misses the playoffs or fails in the first round,he's gone.AJ and him don't get along at all.

And if/when McNair goes down,Baltimore will go back to all defense and no offense (unless some key defensive players get hurt,then they go abck to nothing like last year).Billick is a horrible coach...anything short of the playoffs will get him the pink slip.

boLT fan
09-21-2006, 04:44 PM
If Marty misses the playoffs or fails in the first round,he's gone.AJ and him don't get along at all.

Yes, but like I said in the post above, I still think we'll do good enough to keep Marty's job this season. Even if we don't, Aj doesn't like using recylcled players and/or coaches. So my guess is he'd either promote somenoe from within the system, or get a rookie head coach. Not a coach who's seemingly lost it.

steelfan 92
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I like jeff fisher, i think he is a very good coach. billy volek is a bum, they new 6 months ago he was not going to be there starter. If bill Cowher would retire fisher is a candiidate who would be on my short list.