PDA

View Full Version : Can there be life after Hines????

clevestinks
07-08-2005, 08:33 PM
I know you guys and gals will probably kill me. But what if we couldn`t sign Hines Ward? Would this kill us? He is great , especially as an all-round receiver. Probably the best. But can we survive without him. Lets say we used the money to sign a big deep threat that can really stretch the field. His blocking and team leadership would be missed there is no doubt about that. How big a set back would it be in 2006? I am a little nervous, I really feel this deal needs done before training camp, which is just three weeks away. Let us all know what you think!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-08-2005, 08:39 PM
If we lost Hines it would be a catastrophe..plain and simple. His leadership, his skills at catching and blocking, and the fact that he draws alot of double teams would hurt us big time. The problem is, there are plenty of good/great WR in this league, but Hines is the total package. He's got it all.

If we didnt resign him and he left, we'd have to find another threat pretty quickly; and not just one in the draft next april. Im not sure I believe that any player in this league is irreplaceable, but if there is one, its Hines.

That would make getting El resigned of paramount importance and hoping that Gibson and Cobb begin to really pan out..and Wilson turns out to be all that and a bag a chips like we hope.

I dont even wanna think of a Steeler team without Hines Ward.

Yes we'd survive and life would go on, and we'd continue to do what we do best on sunday afternoons,but it just wouldnt be the same knowing he's out there in another uniform.

clevestinks
07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I hear you Blitz, but another question to add , is El the real deal????

BlitzburghRockCity
07-08-2005, 08:45 PM
He's gonna have to be..he's the incumbant and he doesnt secure that other starting spot along side Hines, it doesnt say much about his WR abilities as a starter in this league, unfortunately. Taking nothing away from cedric wilson at all. Im glad to have him, and his speed will be something we need very much. But El knows this offense, and he's been wanting a crack at a starting spot so now's his chance to grab it.

LambertIsGod58
07-08-2005, 10:00 PM
I really don't think we have any other alternative but to sign him. First of all, I'd say that he's the fan favorite of all Steelers. Just over the top of Bettis. Secondly, if we don't then it would stand that we have no aerial threat. This would then shut down our running game. Opponents would be keying in on it knowing we can't throw the ball. Lets face it also that Big Ben really hasn't had to rely on the air game either. Hines is the best receiver in the league if you look at the total package. He is in my opinion, not replaceable.

BengalBrian
07-08-2005, 11:25 PM
You guys need him to keep the well oiled machine running smoothly.. You already lost Plax.. This would kill you and may ruin Bens 2005 season if you dont resign him..

Here's to hoping you dont! :cheers:

Oh.. And Hines is NOT the best receiver in the league.. By far..

bengalsfan21
07-08-2005, 11:50 PM
You guys need him to keep the well oiled machine running smoothly.. You already lost Plax.. This would kill you and may ruin Bens 2005 season if you dont resign him..

Here's to hoping you dont! :cheers:

Agreed.......

steelparrot
07-08-2005, 11:50 PM
say goodbye to the upcoming season if he doesnt sign...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Dont forget how much of a factor Hines to our running game. Yeah losing him would just me make about cry ! as well as smash every remote in my house.. and thats for starters.

And to this comment,

Please do, explain who is the best WR in the league and why they are better than Ward. Ward has all the ball skills of an owens, harrison, or moss. He's got the toughness factor head n shoulders above any other WR. a 2nd would be TO, simply because he plays hurt and plays hard when he isnt bitching and carrying on. There's nobody that is better at blocking down field than he is.

You can make a case for other WR's in the leage being the best, but u certainly cant leave Hines out of that group.

bengalsfan21
07-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Dont forget how much of a factor Hines to our running game. Yeah losing him would just me make about cry ! as well as smash every remote in my house.. and thats for starters.

And to this comment,

Please do, explain who is the best WR in the league and why they are better than Ward. Ward has all the ball skills of an owens, harrison, or moss. He's got the toughness factor head n shoulders above any other WR. a 2nd would be TO, simply because he plays hurt and plays hard when he isnt bitching and carrying on. There's nobody that is better at blocking down field than he is.

You can make a case for other WR's in the leage being the best, but u certainly cant leave Hines out of that group.

Hands down best reciever in the league is Moss he might have an attitude but he can back it up....Hines isn't the best he is one of the best just like Chad isn't the best but one of the best....I would take a Chad or Hines over a Moss anyday bc they don't have the me me me complex going on but if you compare stats hands down it goes to Moss, I don't see how you can argue with that unless you bring his attitude into play, but we are talking skill wise not attitude.

BengalBrian
07-09-2005, 12:35 AM

Yer right.. Which is why I posted also that it would be tragic to lose him... I just found it silly for someone to say he was the best.... I could list some, but that would only lead this thread to smack and also it would be opinion... so I am sure a lot of them would be debatable..

In any case.. He is definately a great reciever and a MUST SIGN..

BB2W
07-09-2005, 01:25 AM
I have to agree with Brian....I do not see Hines as the best receiver in the league. I guess because he is not near the "threat" as some of the other superstar wideouts. I will say it is hard to measure what Hines bring to the table, and he may be more valuable to his team than some other big name WR's. What he means to the Steelers, is much more than what T.O. means to the Eagles, or the 49ers.

Prosdo
07-09-2005, 01:42 AM
If we don't sign Hines I don't think there would be an item in my house that is not broken. Hines is a must sign. If we lose him I would be so ticked off. He is an asset to this team.

clevestinks
07-09-2005, 04:48 AM
I think when you look at the statements about Hines being the best receiver in the league, you`ll see that everyone writes ,all round receiver,. He does everything, he is probably the best at this. he blocks better than any rec. in the league. He does all the intangibles. As just a pass catching reciever ,no he isn`t thee best butt he s up there. Attitude also , the best!

LambertIsGod58
07-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks Cleve.....That's exactly right.

clevestinks
07-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Not a problem! I got your back! LOL

BlitzburghRockCity
07-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Good call cleve... being a WR in this league, and a player at any position for that matter .. has more to it than just ball skills, or speed... Its attitude, its work ethic, its leadership, its being a selfless team player. And That describes Hines to a T !
:cool:

BengalBrian
07-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Its attitude, its work ethic, its leadership, its being a selfless team player.
This also describes CJ :D

bigbensgirl7
07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I honestly can't imagine Steelers Football without Heinz! He is IMO the ultimate team player, and I can't think of one NFL player I would rather have. He plays with his heart in every game, and gives 100% everytime he is on that field. He is loyal and brings the team together. Not to mention, the fact that he is one of the best in the NFL when it comes to being an all around reciever. Cleve, I hope we never have to find out if we can survive without him...and I hope the deal is finalized before Training Camp.

clevestinks
07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I know my wife and sister would just die!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I would just wanna crawl into a hole and not come out :( mainly becuz my house would be destroyed in a rage!

bigbensgirl7
07-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Yah...I really hope we don't ever have to see what would happen or how we would feel-I like to think positively and so I say we will be ok and he will be signed by TC!!! :hope:

bengalsfan21
07-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I know my wife and sister would just die!

You might want to get a bigger insurance policy just in case.... :D

clevestinks
07-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Lets just hope it doesn`t happen. lol

CowherLover
07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Hands down best reciever in the league is Moss he might have an attitude but he can back it up....Hines isn't the best he is one of the best just like Chad isn't the best but one of the best....I would take a Chad or Hines over a Moss anyday bc they don't have the me me me complex going on but if you compare stats hands down it goes to Moss, I don't see how you can argue with that unless you bring his attitude into play, but we are talking skill wise not attitude.

ANY player who admittedly takes plays off or even remotely acts like Randy has towards his teammates should NEVER be considered as one of the greats! You can have all of the skills in the world but if you don't have the respect of your teammates and coaches then you will never be the best. Daunte is a great all around person and gave him every opportunity to get his stuff together and he blew it in grand fashion. You're right that he shouldn't be compared to Hines, all of his teammates WANT him there on the field. Moss is in the perfect place, players like him should be thankful there is an Al Davis in the world!

steelersgirl86
07-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Clevestinks..you are right I would die...I couldn't imagine a season without him, so I wont....And you said it right he does have the best attitude by far.... :hope:

stillers4strife
07-14-2005, 12:15 PM
say goodbye to the upcoming season if he doesnt sign...

Ward is currently signed through the upcoming season. The discussion is whether Ward should get an extension beyond this season or not.

I don't believe Ward is the best WR in the league. I guess you can make a case for best all-around WR but IMO, that's just trying to create a niche to fit Ward into. Bragging rights and nothing more.

Ward is great. Love to watch him play and he's a favorite of every fan I've ever come across.

But there is life beyond Ward. Plenty of Steelers players have come and gone. Many of whom fans believed were irreplaceable. At the same time, I'd like to see him finish his career as a Steeler. But I'm not one who subscribes to the policy of paying Ward whatever he wants. I don't believe that is good policy. Hurts the development and progression elsewhere on the team.

The other thing to look at is that there is still plenty of time for a deal to be hammered out before the start of the season. If it doesn't get finished at that point, there is still next off-season. He'll be a UFA but the Steelers can always designate him as their franchise player (not to mention continue negotiations with Ward's agent). Plenty of time and options still available.

stillers4strife
07-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Give credit to cleve...tough topic to bring up in the Steelers' forum but a very good and realistic question.

STEELERDYNASTY
07-14-2005, 12:26 PM
where the hell are all these Bung-hole fans coming from???

clevestinks
07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Give credit to cleve...tough topic to bring up in the Steelers' forum but a very good and realistic question.

Why Thank You! It would be a tough pill to swallow. So I thought it needed talking about.

Livinginthe past
07-14-2005, 06:31 PM
If Hines Ward was to leave I think you would find your WR cupboard to be an extremely bare one. I keep hearing how great Moss and Owens are - yes they are fantastically talented atheletes - but we are here to win games and Championships.

Who is going to help me do that best?

I would take Torry Holt, Hines Ward and Deion Branch over Terrell Owens any day.

I kind of hope you get him signed.

Regards

NM

clevestinks
07-14-2005, 06:44 PM
If Hines Ward was to leave I think you would find your WR cupboard to be an extremely bare one. I keep hearing how great Moss and Owens are - yes they are fantastically talented atheletes - but we are here to win games and Championships.

Who is going to help me do that best?

I would take Torry Holt, Hines Ward and Deion Branch over Terrell Owens any day.

I kind of hope you get him signed.

Regards

NM
Wow something nice. I appreciate your comments on Ward. I`m sure you have the same understanding we do with Troy Brown

bigbensgirl7
07-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Word over on SteelerLive is that the sticking point in the negotiations with Ward are over signing bonus. Ward wants $8 million and the Steelers think that's too much. Now I'm not sure how much of this is based on facts since there is no link or even a source listed.
If that is the hold up though, I think they will end up coming to an agreement soon...at least I hope so! :hope:

Prosdo
07-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I really do hope it is over soon. Can you even imagine Ward in any other colors besides black and gold. I know I sure can't.

bigbensgirl7
07-15-2005, 01:05 AM
No...it would be so depressing...I don't even want to think about it!

clevestinks
07-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Well he is signed for this year, and I guess we could franchise tag him for next? But I don`t see an eight mil. signing bonus holding the deal up. I feel thats probably fair, I honestly thought it may be more.

pitt
07-15-2005, 11:45 AM
No Hines!!! Don't even think horrible thoughts like that.

ironcitychef
07-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Yes. I think the key is what is the window? Could we cut ties right now? Could someone step in and fill his shoes at this momment? No, he on top of his game. But in 4-5 years he will be starting on the down side so like all our players, we have to prepare for the future. I think the one thing that keeps us competive year after year is while we have some icon players, none are fixtures that must remain with the team. So could we find a player to produce similar results in 4 years. Yes, cause we will have to. Tough call, but one to watch.

Blitzburgh55
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
i think el is they real deal but we need ward

Stlrs4Life
07-15-2005, 10:47 PM
It would be a tremendous loss. Don't even want to compare it to any other member leaving. Don't even want to think that way.

atlsteelers
07-20-2005, 10:05 PM
give the guy 8 million, i thought he would get 10 million, but if he leaves it would not kill me or bring me to tears, i am a steelers fan - not a hines ward fan - if he played for the brownies i would hope he broke his leg. its about the team.

CantStop85
07-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I would probably take Torry Holt and Chad Johnson over Hines Ward...but Hines would probably be the next best in my book. He's a good leader, good blocker, and an underrated receiver. Unless the Steelers have a younger #1 receiver waiting in the wings, they had better resign Hines.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Give Hines what he wants...there arent many players I would say that about in the history of the Steelers..but he's an exception.. and exceptional exception!

SteelerFanInATL
07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Hines Ward is as important to the Steeler offence as Jack Lambert was to the Steeler defence. He has the attitude and desire to get the job done. He sets the tone for how the offence will play, especially with his blocking. He is not to be thought of as a wide out but a
football player. If the new guys comming in can learn anything from Ward it is definately
the tough guy attitude. When I see Hines get a good block on someone, that pumps me up
more than him scoring a T.D. His leadership and example is definately needed for us to continue with our winning ways. Hines is a tough guy that gives our receivers and offence character. :wantsome: :football:

BB2W
07-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Recent Colbert quote.....

"No, nothing to report yet," Colbert said of the negotiations with Ward's agents. "Just that we're continuing discussions and that both sides are optimistic we will get a deal done."

Prosdo
07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Good to hear. The one article I read worried me because it said nothing was being conducted right now. I'm happy to see that the ball is rolling with this deal.

Stlrs4Life
07-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Simply no!

Ironman
07-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I love Hines... but given the chance to jump to a big time guy... I'd have to take it. But that won't happen. The fact of the matter is... no big name receiver will ever want to play here again. It's all about ego... respect... getting paid and having the ball thrown to you all the time in the NFL. The Steelers have established two reputations. One... the running game is king... come here, catch a few balls... but you'd better be prepared to block on 75% of the plays. Two... the Steelers just don't spend the money to attract the bigger name offensive players. Duce came here because he was seen as expendable by his former team. I think it's sad to say... but I predict we see Hines in another uniform... and we let some lower paid young guys do the blocking.

Steel Fury
07-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Our team is one that runs with an established team first mentality. Hines personifies this mentality for that reason I think he will be rewarded by the Steelers.

Hines is the role model that other players look to. If the Steelers reward him then other players will see what it takes to get the extension.

His attitude and character are what separate him from Plax. From the extension or being released for the Giants.

I am confident that the contract will be finished soon.

clevestinks
07-25-2005, 07:45 PM
The really important issue here is, if we lost him, the Steelers wouldn`t replace him with anybody worthy enough. We would be stuck with some wr`s that weren`t nearly as great.

BengalBrian
08-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Falling apart