PDA

View Full Version : Are you impressed with the Bengals

siss
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Or did we beat our selves!

stunta86
09-24-2006, 10:17 PM
i wanna say we beat ourselves because we had that game, the bengals heads were hanging and then the muff punt just ruined it all for us.....but they took advantage and stepped up when needed so i guess i got to take my hat off to them for that

bozz723
09-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Im actually not impressed. The texans could have beat us today. The bengals were getting physically manhandled up and down the field.

siss
09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
If we played then again would he Steelers win?

stunta86
09-24-2006, 10:28 PM
If we played then again would he Steelers win?

only if ben maddox goes back to ben roethlisberger

jaysta
09-24-2006, 10:33 PM

I can't totally agree with this statement. Yeah he didn't have a great game, but he controlled the tempo of the game until we fumbled that punt and gave Cincy a touchdown to take the lead with about 7 minutes to go in the 4th. Then he seemed to get alot more nervous and it really began to unravel.

stunta86
09-24-2006, 10:35 PM
I can't totally agree with this statement. Yeah he didn't have a great game, but he controlled the tempo of the game until we fumbled that punt and gave Cincy a touchdown to take the lead with about 7 minutes to go in the 4th. Then he seemed to get alot more nervous and it really began to unravel.

did you see him forcing stuff??? did you see the int at the goal line??? did you see the int into coverage??? and it was willie that was controling the tempo of the game, ben was just there trying his best to be tommy maddox part 2. if we had the real ben roethlisberger and not ben maddox we would've won cause those stupid picks would not have been thrown

jaysta
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
did you see him forcing stuff??? did you see the int at the goal line??? did you see the int into coverage??? and it was willie that was controling the tempo of the game, ben was just there trying his best to be tommy maddox part 2. if we had the real ben roethlisberger and not ben maddox we would've won cause those stupid picks would not have been thrown

I sure did see it. In the last 7 minutes after we fumbled to give the lead away and the momentum swung their way. Up until that we had complete control of the game on both Defense and Offense. If we had the ball back with a 3 point lead we could run the ball and control the clock some more. Instead we were down by 4 with 7 minutes to go. Ben was definitely not great throughout the game, but you have to admit, that fumble in their red zone changed his way of thinking at the end.

CantStop85
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I think neither team was very impressive in that game. Both Ben and Carson were rusty...and both teams were making silly mistakes. I think the new years eve game will be a better judge of which team is superior, but Cincy showed just enough heart to stay in the game and that was impressive to me.

jaysta
09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I think neither team was very impressive in that game. Both Ben and Carson were rusty...and both teams were making silly mistakes. I think the new years eve game will be a better judge of which team is superior, but Cincy showed just enough heart to stay in the game and that was impressive to me.

The New Year's Eve game will be a better judge of who is better this season. But if our defense plays the way they started today, that late season game will be our victory. Until then....congrats!

stunta86
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I sure did see it. In the last 7 minutes after we fumbled to give the lead away and the momentum swung their way. Up until that we had complete control of the game on both Defense and Offense. If we had the ball back with a 3 point lead we could run the ball and control the clock some more. Instead we were down by 4 with 7 minutes to go. Ben was definitely not great throughout the game, but you have to admit, that fumble in their red zone changed his way of thinking at the end.

i don't really get what you are talkin about...i just called him ben maddox...the reason for that is because all the forcing the passes and two picks happened before the fumble...the third pick happened after the fumble.

jaysta
09-24-2006, 11:01 PM
i don't really get what you are talkin about...i just called him ben maddox...the reason for that is because all the forcing the passes and two picks happened before the fumble...the third pick happened after the fumble.

I agreed that he didn't play great, but that being said, it looked as though he was really trying to force balls through the defense after we fell behind halfway through the 4th quarter. It was more like a panic type thing. Until then Ben seemed to have complete control of the game (even with the little mistakes). It was the big mistakes near the end of the game that really killed us. His 30.7 pass rating really stunk, but it didn't seem to be the big reason for the loss.

stunta86
09-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I agreed that he didn't play great, but that being said, it looked as though he was really trying to force balls through the defense after we fell behind halfway through the 4th quarter. It was more like a panic type thing. Until then Ben seemed to have complete control of the game (even with the little mistakes). It was the big mistakes near the end of the game that really killed us. His 30.7 pass rating really stunk, but it didn't seem to be the big reason for the loss.

i know he wasn't the big reason for it..it was cowher's poor coaching decisions to play musical punt returners that lost us this game...ben just didn't help the cause by playing like maddox all game

SteelShooter
09-24-2006, 11:08 PM

I have to disagree. Now, do not take this as a jab...I totally love Ben to death. But, he threw into double coverage; he threw 20yds short; he was throwing high; he was throwing behind.

Ben did not have a bad day, he had a TERRIBLE day.

Do I respect him less? No, not at all. I really hope this coming Bye week helps his health. He needs the down time....to get his head straight, if nothing else. He still feels as though he has to prove something. I really do believe that he rushed back a little bit too soon (just a little) when he played in the Jax game. After that performance, he felt as though he had to come out gunning.

I just hope that no one dumps trash on his lawn like they did to Maddox. That would really damage his self image and his confidence will just run off a cliff.

He sucked today....we all have a day like that.

Right now, he needs fan support, not criticism.

BozMan
09-24-2006, 11:51 PM
This loss to Cincy reminds me of the loss to New England early in the year last season.

In the NE game last year, the Steelers played well for the most part, but then shot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes. (Randle El's lateral to a covered an unexpecting Ward that NE recovered... wiped out a huge pass play and totally swung momentum the other way. Later, Barrett Brooks jumped offsides during a FG, which negated Jeff Reed's excellent conversion of a difficult 48 yd field goal... of course, Patriots go on to win by 3.)

The Steelers had this game. Even with Ben's bad decision making leading to 2 INTs early on, the Steelers were in control in the 4th quarter... up until they self-destructed.

So... to answer the question of this thread: No, I am not impressed with the Bengals. Willie and the O-line shredded Cincy's run defense. Palmer got sacked, fumbled, and got chased around all afternoon. The two Johnsons were non-factors. Cincy put together two good drives in the 2nd quarter and capitalized on the gifts the Steelers gave them... that's about it.

I don't see the Bengals being able to stand up against a well-disciplined team. Unfortunately, the Steelers were not that team this afternoon.

HEREWEGO
09-25-2006, 12:00 AM

lol ben maddox

X-Terminator
09-25-2006, 12:06 AM
No, not really - they were exposed a bit today on their OL, and I see them struggling against teams with fast defenses that bring a lot of pressure. The Steelers were wearing them out most of the day - 6 sacks, 2 INT and a fumble recovery against Palmer. You do that, and you win most games...but obviously, today was not "most games."

clarient
09-25-2006, 12:44 AM
When it came down to making the plays though, only one team came through

This :tt02:

turned into this :banging:

The plays where Palmer got sacked like a little weenie? Yeah, those were some great plays.

In the case of Jacksonville, the Jags earned their win fair and square - the hard way. The Bengals got it handed to them in the form of easily intercepted passes and fumbles. Bengal offense did not EARN a win tonight, no way. The offensive performance didn't justify it. Ya'll came through with a number of good plays but for the most part our D did a fantastic job... the O just didn't follow though.

SteelersWoman
09-25-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but 2 players cost us that game--and it was definitely atypical behavior from the main player of the two. He is just NOT comfortable yet--I hope he finds a comfy spot soon ;)

stillers4me
09-25-2006, 05:36 AM

They didn't "stay with the game" unless you mean standing there and letting us hand the ball to them. I 've really not been impressed with the Bengals thus far (hey I live here in cinci, too). Yeah, they got the win and we take them any way we can get them, too. That's the only stat that matters in the end. I'll take our D over any in the league right now. But I think the Bengals are darn lucky we screwed up big time else the Bengals fans would have been crying into their jungle rags all week. How many times did Ben throw into the endzone, for gawdsakes? I don't recall the Bengals having many opportunities to do that as a result of their own drives. Of course, when I go to work today, having an intelligent converstion with any Bengals fan will only be a pipe dream.

You're ok CS85.......for a Bengals fan. It wouldn't be much fun around here without a few Bengal fans to jaw around with. :cheers:

BlackNGold203
09-25-2006, 05:43 AM
Actually...I'm very impressed with the Bengals.....

They were patient (very un-Bengal like)...they were poised (again..very un-Bengal like, except for cry baby Chad sulking under his towel because nobody would play with him)....they capitalized on damn near every mistake we made...they had a ton of injuries....yet they still managed to win the game....

Oh...and a news flash??

After watching last night?

They will DESTROY New England......

stillers4me
09-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Green Bay could have beat us if we handed the ball to them every time they turned around. I love the Steelerss they are my team and they'll always be my team. But we wrapped that up win up in pretty bow and gave it away. I didn't see Cincy do a whole lot of anything to win it own their own. Ther D couldn't stop us from getting to the endzone. We did. I don't blame anybody but ourselves. And you'll see the players blaming themselves all long in interviews.

Marvin_for_prez
09-25-2006, 06:10 AM

They were patient (very un-Bengal like)...they were poised (again..very un-Bengal like, except for cry baby Chad sulking under his towel because nobody would play with him)....they capitalized on damn near every mistake we made...they had a ton of injuries....yet they still managed to win the game....

Good post.
We never gave up and it paid off in the end.
It is the maturity of this team. They learned not to panic and to just line up and go full blast on the next play, no matter what. A valuable lesson that we learned from a pretty good team last year.

NCbuckeye
09-25-2006, 06:39 AM
The plays where Palmer got sacked like a little weenie? Yeah, those were some great plays.

In the case of Jacksonville, the Jags earned their win fair and square - the hard way. The Bengals got it handed to them in the form of easily intercepted passes and fumbles. Bengal offense did not EARN a win tonight, no way. The offensive performance didn't justify it. Ya'll came through with a number of good plays but for the most part our D did a fantastic job... the O just didn't follow though.
So a 97 yard drive after the interception don't count.

But anyways, I though both teams faired well, concidering all the stuff going on. Ben surgery and tough lose last week, and our bengals big injuries last week, there was alot a presure on both teams to perform.

stlrtruck
09-25-2006, 07:30 AM
I just wonder if Chad is going to ditch his list now that he got shut down all day and it was the other receivers who made the plays!!

I'm not impressed with the bungles, but they did take advantage of stupid mistakes and penalties. Those are things that teams are suppose to do.

Stillers#1
09-25-2006, 09:37 AM
The Bengals played Stillers football, which is what impresses me. Except for their running game, which looked like Shit on a Shingle. They forced turnovers, albeit from a rusty Ben, they still played our game.

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I was very impressed with the Bengals kicking down the door, after being dominated throughout the second half, following the Coclough and Haynes fumbles. That is the mark of a champion.

That having been said, the decision to go for it with the Palmer sneak on 4th and 1 from their own 30 at that stage of the game could have resulted in today's discussion being why Marvin made that boneheaded decision rather than why Cowher invited disaster by having Coclough field punts in a tight game.

I am not giving upon the Steelers, but beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh with a banged up D reluctantly leads me to conclude the Bengals will not be coming back to the Steelers this season unless Palmer gets hurt again.

Marvin_for_prez
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM

That game wasn't the hard way? :dang:
You should go into the Bengals locker room and tell those guys that they got an easy win then. Tell them that they didn't earn it "fair and square". Are you serious with this?
Man, those grapes must be really sour.

Mosca
09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
LOL, we pushed them all over the field and they still won it. I'd call that "earned".

If driving the ball doesn't work, you gotta strike quick. They did. Debate over.

Tom

Lyn
09-25-2006, 10:47 AM
The Steelers seemed like the better team for most of the game, but they turned the ball over at key times and lost. Does that make the Bengals better? I don't think so. Despite being 1-2 vs. 3-0, these are both good teams. The re-match will be interesting.

:tt02: :blah: :chicken: :banana:

Interceptor
09-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Considering both teams made many mistakes, I think it came down to who made the clutch plays.

83-Steelers-43
09-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Considering both teams made many mistakes, I think it came down to who made the clutch plays.

I'll agree with that. Good point. You can't turn the ball over five times in one game. You might be able to get away with that type of play against a Houston, San Fran or Raider team, but not the Bengals, Colts etc. etc.

Anyways.....you count your losses and move on. There's still 13 games to be played.

BlackNGold203
09-25-2006, 10:57 AM

thats the credit I give to Cincy....they were patient...and they capitalized on every opportunity....very Steelerlike of them.....:wave:

SteelerFanInCA
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
We totally beat ourselves on this one. You can't give games away like that.

Lyn
09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
-Steelers had more yards passing - 208 to 193.
-Steelers had more yards rushing - 170 to 87.
-Steelers had more first downs - 27 to 15.
-Steelers had better 3rd down efficiency - 44% - 33%.
-Steelers had more total yards - 365 - 246.
-Steelers had 20 less yards in penalties than the Bengals had.
-Time of possesion was in the Steelers favor - 33:51 to 26:09.

And what was the score of the game? That's the only stat that counts.......

I don't think the Bengals are coming out of that with alot of confidence. I think they're coming out extremely thankful for what was handed to them.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

:thumbsup:

Da Question
09-25-2006, 12:02 PM

I don't think the Bengals are coming out of that with alot of confidence. I think they're coming out extremely thankful for what was handed to them.

AGREED!!!

How can a team that got beat up physically and in the stats feel like they earned something. The only thing Cincy got out of this game was some brusies and a W. an 8 point win with 5 turnovers and a chance to send it to OT. I feel we are a much better team. Just need to fix the mistakes.

Marvin_for_prez
09-25-2006, 02:36 PM
thats the credit I give to Cincy....they were patient...and they capitalized on every opportunity....very Steelerlike of them.....:wave:

We learned a tough lesson last year. :smile:

Cape Cod Steel Head
09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
In a word NO! We would have lost any team in the league with 5 turnovers!

augustashark
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

:thumbsup:

It seems like we have a game like this every year! 13 more to go, if out of those 13 we go 10-3 that puts us at 11-5. I think 11-5 will get into the playoffs again this year. All hands on deck, we put this game behind us and move on. if after 10 games were 4-6 then its time to be concerned. I will say this though, the SD game will go along way of telling us which way this team is going to go! 4th game into the season or not! We can not go to 1-3 and still think oh well its only 4 games into the season!

Keeping on topic, I think that Cincy won the game, they made the plays when they had to. As mad as I was for the way we played it still does'nt take away that the Bengals came in here and left with a W! Congrats Cincy.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes I'm very impressed with the Bengals yesterday. Their QB took a beating and he hung in there and made the plays he had to win the game. Thats why Carson Palmer is a rising elite QB in the NFL. Plus the guy said he needs to play better even though his team won. While our QB seem (who I thought was ready to be a true leader of this team). Its clear he isn't ready quit talking about rust as a factor. Don't you think Palmer is also shaking off some rust as well? What I'm getting very sick of is Ben and his lame excuses. I heard him talk about the wind and how stepped on an Olineman's foot for reasons for some of his INT's. Thats just lame and sounds like what a ***** ass Manning would say.

I just hope Ben takes a long look in the mirror and finds the QB that we drafted instead of this excuse making drama queen QB he has become. He talks a big game about being a leader. But his actions sure don't show it.

Back to the topic at hand. Great teams find ways to win even when they don't play their best. The Bengals did that yesterday. Sounds like us in the Super Bowl last year against the Seahawks. So show some class and give credit to the Bengals for their win.

Ambridge
09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I was very impressed with the Bengals kicking down the door, after being dominated throughout the second half, following the Coclough and Haynes fumbles. That is the mark of a champion.

I going to have to disagree with you on this one Dan.
True, the Bengals capitalized on the Steeler gaffs but I think it's fair to say a majority of the teams in the NFL have the ability to cash in on some points either 3 or 6 when turnovers are handed to them on a silver platter with great field position as well.

The Bengals are a good team with some obvious holes. The Bengals still can't stop the run and they will get further get exposed when they play San Diego, Atlanta, Denver and hopefully once again when the Steelers play in Cincy.

CantStop85
09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Just a few more thoughts:

- The 97 yard drive for a TD by the Bengals was damn impressive.
- The fact that the Bengals got amazing production out of 2 receivers and neither of them was named Chad Johnson was impressive.
- The fact that Chad Johnson stated after the game that he's finally starting to realize that he can help the team win without getting a ton of balls thrown to him was impressive.
- The fact that the Bengal players were not taunting or celebrating during or after the game was impressive.
- The fact that the Bengals finally "went for the jugular" and didn't hand the game right back was impressive.

These may seem like small things to some of you, but the fact that the Bengals are finally showing signs of maturity is a huge plus in my mind.

jaysta
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Cincy looks strong this year, but they were out played most of the game yesterday. In order to get to the next level they have to open up holes for Rudi against tough defenses and protect Carson alot better. Remember, two of his fumbles were recovered by Cincy. That game could have been blown wide open if those fumbles would have been turned over. If they tee off on him like that every week, he won't make it to the end of the season and Cincy most likely won't get into the playoffs without him.

Marvin_for_prez
09-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Cincy looks strong this year, but they were out played most of the game yesterday. In order to get to the next level they have to open up holes for Rudi against tough defenses and protect Carson alot better. Remember, two of his fumbles were recovered by Cincy. That game could have been blown wide open if those fumbles would have been turned over. If they tee off on him like that every week, he won't make it to the end of the season and Cincy most likely won't get into the playoffs without him.

It was certainly obvious that we were playing with a backup center. No excuse for some of the guys just whiffing on their blocks though.
And I agree with you, we did dodge some bullets. Matrix-style. :smile:

SteelShooter
09-25-2006, 08:52 PM

- The fact that the Bengals got amazing production out of 2 receivers and neither of them was named Chad Johnson was impressive.
- The fact that Chad Johnson stated after the game that he's finally starting to realize that he can help the team win without getting a ton of balls thrown to him was impressive.
- The fact that the Bengal players were not taunting or celebrating during or after the game was impressive.
- The fact that the Bengals finally "went for the jugular" and didn't hand the game right back was impressive.

These may seem like small things to some of you, but the fact that the Bengals are finally showing signs of maturity is a huge plus in my mind.

I'm down with that Bro.............

.................................................C ongrats on a well earned win CS85.

SteelShooter

SteelShooter
09-25-2006, 08:55 PM

Oh...and a news flash??

After watching last night?

They will DESTROY New England......

:thumbsup: Classy post Bro............then again, you typically do show class. :thumbsup:

CantStop85
09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Remember, two of his fumbles were recovered by Cincy. That game could have been blown wide open if those fumbles would have been turned over.
Not really...remember that both of those fumbles were on consecutive plays and the very next play was an interception, thus nullifying the recoveries.

I.C. Lights
09-25-2006, 09:24 PM

The only point I disagree with here is the taunting. You still have a problem with Houshmanzadeh, who was taunting fans from the sidelines. It's a good thing Chad Johnson is, as you indicate, growing up because TJ still has a ways to go. Do you foresee any problems between these two in the future in terms of # of passes/tds from Palmer?

That being said, I am impressed w/ the Bengals. They beat us - period. Sure, both teams made mistakes, but we did nothing to mitigate ours while the Bengals made the most of our mistakes and minimized the effects of theirs. That's impressive to me.

X-Terminator
09-25-2006, 11:55 PM

I guess you missed when Houshmandzadeh was taunting the fans on the sideline before the Steelers' final drive and after Ben's 3rd INT...

CantStop85
09-26-2006, 08:29 PM
The only point I disagree with here is the taunting. You still have a problem with Houshmanzadeh, who was taunting fans from the sidelines.
OK, well it was mild taunting by one guy...certainly an improvement from last year. I just don't want to see the players talking trash after the win or celebrating like they won the superbowl...there are more important things to look forward to than a regular season win over the Steelers.

It's a good thing Chad Johnson is, as you indicate, growing up because TJ still has a ways to go. Do you foresee any problems between these two in the future in terms of # of passes/tds from Palmer?.
No, not really, they're really good friends off the field so I doubt either of them would start any drama because of the other's success. They've been playing together ever since they were at Oregon State and they haven't had any problems.

Lambertfan
09-27-2006, 05:33 AM
No e was not umpressed with them at all and I would like to lits Chades hair on fire oh and one more things,to The Steelers........Stop Th Who Day Stuff!!!!!!!!!It belittles us,I was so embarrased by Cowhers post Super Bowl who day stunt...It's like sepping on our Terrible Towell!!!!

HometownGal
09-27-2006, 07:40 AM
I've been impressed with the Bengals since the early part of last season. They have a solid and very dangerous O with a lot of variation and options - they're a fairly young unit and only are going to get better, which is a bit scary. The only problem I foresee for them is their D being able to consistently stop the run and putting their O in catch-up mode. The Bengals are for real and for those who think otherwise, you need to take a much closer look at this team and re-think your position.

No e was not umpressed with them at all and I would like to lits Chades hair on fire oh and one more things,to The Steelers........Stop Th Who Day Stuff!!!!!!!!!It belittles us,I was so embarrased by Cowhers post Super Bowl who day stunt...It's like sepping on our Terrible Towell!!!!

It was all in fun, Lambert. We had the Who Dey crap shoved down our throats all last season and before our playoff game against the Bengals- Cowher was shoving back a little and most likely directing that shove at Marvin Lewis for his classless remarks after the Steelers beat the Bengals in the opening round of the playoffs. They've more than likely kissed and made up by now. :kiss:

floodcitygirl
09-27-2006, 08:03 AM
No e was not umpressed with them at all and I would like to lits Chades hair on fire oh and one more things,to The Steelers........Stop Th Who Day Stuff!!!!!!!!!It belittles us,I was so embarrased by Cowhers post Super Bowl who day stunt...It's like sepping on our Terrible Towell!!!!I think WE DEY is a perfectly acceptable response to the question.

clevestinks
09-27-2006, 08:05 AM
I wasn`t impressed by either team. I will not say that we beat ourselves, that seems like " crying" to me.
I believe that we can and will play better as the season goes on. ben needs alot more playing time. I think the bye week came to soon for us, Ben needs to get into more of a routine, hopefully he can play a simulated game this weekend or something like that.
With that said, I also believe cinci is capable of playing better. Palmer usually plays better than he did.

Elvis
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Could have beens and would've beens dont count in the NFL unfortunately.. the 2 fumbles by Carson was NOT recovered by the Steelers. The INT on the next play was that is the ONLY Turnover that counted right?
Yeh... I am impressed with the Bengals Offense. They are wide open and they make big play after big play in the passin' game. And when Rudy has room he is as good as anyone in the league at RB. But their front 7 isnt really that good. If not for their secondary making plays they would be in trouble.. If we had their secondary we would be complete, of course excluding Troy.