PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Bengals Update

tony hipchest
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
today (or last night) it was odell thurman for a D.U.I. way to go!

stupid pieces of shit.

83-Steelers-43
09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Suspended Bengals LB Thurman charged with DUI
Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested early Monday on a drunken driving charge.

Thurman, already serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, registered 0.18 percent on a blood-alcohol test -- more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent, according to the police arrest report.

Police said Thurman, who drove an SUV across a double-yellow line, was stopped about 3 a.m. near a sobriety checkpoint operated by police and the State Highway Patrol.

A second-round draft pick out of Georgia last year, Thurman led the Bengals in tackles and had five interceptions as a rookie, helping Cincinnati reach the playoffs with its first winning record since 1990.

The arrest is "certainly a concern since he recently was suspended, but this is an entirely new case," Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said Monday.

Thurman has one game left on his suspension.

The Bengals (3-0) defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 28-20 on Sunday to stay in a first-place tie with Baltimore (3-0) in the AFC North.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2601900

Ambridge
09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Dumbass!!

Does anyone know the official ramifications of this arrest?? Can the league impose another suspension or does he just get a fine and a warning??

Hines86Ward
09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
I heard that Chris Henry was in the car with him, & obviously Reggie McNeal was in the car also since he owns it. Just another player wasting away his talent....

ARKIESTEEL
09-25-2006, 11:00 AM
The cops didnt look hard enough if they didnt find the dime bag I am sure one of them had

klick81
09-25-2006, 11:54 AM
These idiots are worse than high schoolers.

Lyn
09-25-2006, 12:06 PM
What is he thinking? Yeah you are right he is not thinking!

:yawn: :screwy: :trash: :buttkick:

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
My bet is "substance abuse" means you need a prescription or it is illegal before ingesting the substance to get suspended.

Hard to see the NFL cracking down for alcohol abuse given who pays the bills for the broadcasts.

Did the Rams player (Little?) get suspended because he killed a woman in a motor vehicle murder? I recall Little was drunk at the time so it should not be called an accident.

So much for the new mature Bengals

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Here are some of the highlights from another loss by the Bengals to their toughest opponent - the Cincinnati Police Department

1. Odell Thurman Takes One For The Team

A police videotape shows an officer asking Thurman to step out of the car and asking him how much he had to drink.

"I had a couple of beers,'' Thurman responded.

Thurman said he was driving because the others he was with "had more than I did.''

Thurman blew a .17, which is considered a high-tier reading, said Officer Stephen Lawson of the Cincinnati Police Traffic Section. The .17 is more than double Ohio?s legal blood-alcohol limit of .08.

2. Chris Henry Unwinds After A Tough Game

Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was a passenger and threw up out a window of the vehicle.

3. Marvin Lewis Trots Out The Party Line

In his first public comments since linebacker Odell Thurman's arrest this morning, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis condemned the linebacker's behavior as "not right," and said such actions "are not what we stand for."

At this point the Benglas have a more talented team than the Steelers but are fast repalcing the Raiders or Vikings as the league's poster boys for being out of control

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060925/NEWS01/309250010

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
My bet is "substance abuse" means you need a prescription or it is illegal before ingesting the substance to get suspended.

Hard to see the NFL cracking down for alcohol abuse given who pays the bills for the broadcasts.

Did the Rams player (Little?) get suspended because he killed a woman in a motor vehicle murder? I recall Little was drunk at the time so it should not be called an accident.

So much for the new mature Bengals

Well my earlier post that the NFL probably regards drunk driving to be a "boys will be boys" issue may be way wrong.

Coach Marvin Lewis expects middle linebacker Odell Thurman to be suspended for the rest of the season following his arrest early Monday on a drunken driving charge, making him the sixth Cincinnati Bengal arrested this year.

Lewis expects Thurman to get an additional punishment from the league. Another violation of its substance abuse policy brings a minimum one-year suspension in addition to the one he is already serving.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2601900

If Thurman is gone for the year that is a real problem for the Bengals solving last year's inability to stop the run.

I believe the character issue just may have taken a big bite out of this team.

CantStop85
09-25-2006, 07:40 PM
If convicted, Odell Thurman will have his second strike in the substance abuse policy, earning him a year's suspension.

Marvin Lewis wasted no time in cleaning out Odell's locker and replacing it with guard Kyle Takavitz. I am glad to see that Marvin is finally moving on and no longer defending players who screw up. I would like to see Marvin come out and make the statement that Ahmad Brooks will be the MLB of the future and that there is no need for Odell on the team.

The first thing I would do if I were Marvin is have a long conversation with Chris Henry and inform him of the way he is headed if he doesn't watch out, making a clear reference to Maurice Clarett. Then I would make it clear that I didn't condone that any of the players should be seen around Odell. I wouldn't want any more negative influences on the team.

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2006, 07:49 PM
"Even God Hates The Steelers"?! - I admit to not having caught that gem before

So is Satan responsible for the 5 Lombardi trophies while God's team has not won a playoff game since the Reagan Administration :)

Fun is fun, but is this another quote from the Chadster or did you get this one from somewhere else?

CantStop85
09-25-2006, 07:54 PM
"Even God Hates The Steelers"?! - I admit to not having caught that gem before

So is Satan responsible for the 5 Lombardi trophies while God's team has not won a playoff game since the Reagan Administration :)

Fun is fun, but is this another quote from the Chadster or did you get this one from somewhere else?
It was on a t-shirt I found somewhere.

stillers4me
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Wasn't Chris Henry supposed to stay away from alcohol as part of his probation?? Maybe he was sick from the jet ride from Pittsburgh when he puked out the window.

X-Terminator
09-26-2006, 01:22 AM
It was on a t-shirt I found somewhere.

Eh, I've seen many variations of that t-shirt for other teams and their rivals. It's nothing new.

Jim Schue
09-26-2006, 02:39 AM
Wasn't Chris Henry supposed to stay away from alcohol as part of his probation?? Maybe he was sick from the jet ride from Pittsburgh when he puked out the window.

I hear from my Bengal-land friends that he may be in some trouble for this latest incident as a probation violation.

tony hipchest
09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
appearantly p. kirwan listenend in on marvin lewis's post game speech in the locker room. he told the team what a huge win it was but reminded them to act like mature professionals and handle it with class and dignity. his speech was said to be "fatherly".

in other words he didnt want them to screw it up and act like fools as he knew the 1st things on their minds would be to smoke dope, screw teenagers, and drink and drive in a celebratory fashion.

oh well, so much for that.

if he doesnt fire odell, his words and blowing smoke will lose weight with the team.

Ambridge
09-26-2006, 11:10 AM
if he doesnt fire odell, his words and blowing smoke will lose weight with the team.

That's for sure.
Lewis got the perfect sacrificial lamb dropped in his lap if wants to make a statement about discipline........and nobody will question him if lowers the boom on Thurman.

Atlanta Dan
09-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Yep - Cincy papers are saying this morning Bengals have depth at LB and Marvin is saying the team has been operating without Thurman since earlier this year and will continue to do so. Thurman can be replaced and is gone - I want to find out if he was a head case when he played at UGA, since he appears to be an avid student of the Maurice Clarrett guide to career enhancement.

Bengal media actually more concerned about Henry violating the staying away from alcohol provision of his probation, given alleged problems with depth at WR - wish the Steelers had the Benglas "problems" with WR depth :)

Hard to see Henry missing game time for tossing cookies out of the car window, although he probably now will get a longer probation period and random testing by the probation officer for alcohol and illegal drugs, which will put a real crimp in Henry's after practice activities of choice.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Marvin will probally drop Thurman,as he should...the team is 3-0 without him.

However,if a judge deems that Henry did violate his parole...he could end up in jail and/pr recieve a suspension from the league for not folowing the league's personal conduct code.