PDA

View Full Version : Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Them...

boLT fan
09-25-2006, 07:20 PM
... Saints? Did I hear them right on the pregame show on ESPN? I could sware I am hearing Saints fans chanting "Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Dem Saints". I always thought the Who Dey thing was the Bengals chant.

SteelCityMan786
09-25-2006, 07:26 PM
The Bengals stole it from them I guess.

boLT fan
09-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Didn't know that, I heard it from the Bengals first. Hell, I barely knew there was a Saints team before last year.

CantStop85
09-25-2006, 07:51 PM
The Bengals stole it from them I guess.
Wrong.

Although the exact origin of the phrase is disputed, it had been made popular by 1981 in Bengals fans? cheers for their team during their run to Super Bowl XVI. Some fans would do the chant and other fans would reply, ?Nobody!? The cheer again gained national recognition in their 1988 appearance in Super Bowl XXIII. Due to the success of the Bengals team in the 2005 season, the chant is again gaining popularity.

The Saint's Who Dat started in 1983, Bum Phillips had the Saints fans feeling playoffs for the first time in their history. They had their best start ever with a 5-3 record halfway through the season. They lost their first two games by a total of 4 points. They could of easily been 6-0, or 7-1 at the halfway point.

They picked up Who Dat somewhere during those first 8 games, but their dream season wasn't to be. They Saints finished opposite of how they started, winning only three more games and finishing 8-8

The Saint's Who Dat started up again in 1987 the year they started out 3-3 and never lost another game until they made the playoffs. Losing to the Viking in their first playoff game. Before 1987 the Saints were known as the Ain'ts, never having a winning record until 1987. They went 8-8 twice, but could never end up above .500.

The reason many believe it came from the Saints, was because their Who Dat chant was popular the 1987 season and the Bengals Who Dey chant was ringing loud in peoples ears the Bengals Super Bowl season of 1988.

The Saints took Who Dat from LSU. It was reported that LSU football was using a who dat chant in 1982. When they went to the Orange Bowl against Nebraska. Orange Bowl History A year after the Bengals played in the Super Bowl. LSU finished behind Georgia for the Sec championship. Georgia play Penn St in the Sugar Bowl and lost to the National Champions. LSU lost to Nebraska who finished with second best record in the nation.

Elvis
09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Cantstop85... God loves all of us... not just the Bungals...hehehee
Yeh.. I remeber the chants in those years for the Bengals, but it didnt last long since they kind of sucked after Boomer left. Man I remember when the Bengals had Ken Anderson, I hated every time we played you guys... he was a very good QB in his time and the Steelers and Bengals have finally renewed those rivalry times havent they? ... thats awesome... Good Luck Brother...

Stlrs4Life
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Wrong.

Although the exact origin of the phrase is disputed, it had been made popular by 1981 in Bengals fans? cheers for their team during their run to Super Bowl XVI. Some fans would do the chant and other fans would reply, ?Nobody!? The cheer again gained national recognition in their 1988 appearance in Super Bowl XXIII. Due to the success of the Bengals team in the 2005 season, the chant is again gaining popularity.

The Saint's Who Dat started in 1983, Bum Phillips had the Saints fans feeling playoffs for the first time in their history. They had their best start ever with a 5-3 record halfway through the season. They lost their first two games by a total of 4 points. They could of easily been 6-0, or 7-1 at the halfway point.

They picked up Who Dat somewhere during those first 8 games, but their dream season wasn't to be. They Saints finished opposite of how they started, winning only three more games and finishing 8-8

The Saint's Who Dat started up again in 1987 the year they started out 3-3 and never lost another game until they made the playoffs. Losing to the Viking in their first playoff game. Before 1987 the Saints were known as the Ain'ts, never having a winning record until 1987. They went 8-8 twice, but could never end up above .500.

The reason many believe it came from the Saints, was because their Who Dat chant was popular the 1987 season and the Bengals Who Dey chant was ringing loud in peoples ears the Bengals Super Bowl season of 1988.

The Saints took Who Dat from LSU. It was reported that LSU football was using a who dat chant in 1982. When they went to the Orange Bowl against Nebraska. Orange Bowl History A year after the Bengals played in the Super Bowl. LSU finished behind Georgia for the Sec championship. Georgia play Penn St in the Sugar Bowl and lost to the National Champions. LSU lost to Nebraska who finished with second best record in the nation.

Change the words around all you want, basically still stole a chant from another team. Saints and Bengals stole it from LSU then.