PDA

View Full Version : NFL Crime Of The Week From San Diego

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Odell Thurman may engage in something as mundane as drunk driving, but this story about San Diego safety Terrence Kiel shows far more imagination when it comes to violating substance abuse laws:

San Diego Chargers strong safety Terrence Kiel admitted to shipping at least two parcels of prescription cough syrup to Texas, DEA officials said Wednesday, a day after the player was arrested at team headquarters.

While Kiel did not tell the DEA his motive, the agency in Texas has found widespread abuse of codeine-based cough syrup mixed with soft drinks or drugs and referred to as "lean," said John S. Fernandes, the special agent in charge of the San Diego office. A pint bottle of "lean" can cost between $200 and $325 on the street, he said.

Two federal law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said quart bottles full of what appears to be prescription cough syrup were found at Kiel's house. Both officials said Kiel admitted to financial difficulties when interviewed by agents.

Kiel is making $500,000 this year, his fourth with the Chargers.

Kiel's status for Sunday's game at Baltimore was not immediately known. He was jailed Tuesday and released on bail.

Kiel's agent, Vann McElroy, said he couldn't comment on specifics of the case.

"Terrence is a good kid. We just have to wait and see," McElroy said

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604891

So you cannot live on $500,000 per year so the answer is to ship cough syrup in interstate commerce? Unbelieveable!

SteelCityMan786
09-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I guess the Chargers are getting the AFC West Most Arrested.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-27-2006, 07:32 PM
What's really sad is I was watching the channel 11 news out of Los Angeles last night and they have added a segment called "Athletes Most Wanted" playing off the show America's most wanted I thought it was a joke but soon found out it wasn't.

Petesburgh66
09-27-2006, 09:13 PM
cough syrup? Sorry for being ignorant but are American laws this anal?

tony hipchest
09-27-2006, 10:53 PM
cough syrup? Sorry for being ignorant but are American laws this anal?its a narcotic based cough syrup. good stuff. ive bought tylenol 3 in mexico (also with codine) for 15 bucks a bottle. im sure he was just hopping over to tijuanna, buying a few bottles for his homies every week and shipping it out.

a nice little profit i guess but with a salary of $500,000 you think he could dabble in some stocks or bonds. some day trading perhaps?

HometownGal
09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
its a narcotic based cough syrup. good stuff. ive bought tylenol 3 in mexico (also with codine) for 15 bucks a bottle. im sure he was just hopping over to tijuanna, buying a few bottles for his homies every week and shipping it out.

a nice little profit i guess but with a salary of $500,000 you think he could dabble in some stocks or bonds. some day trading perhaps?

I've had codeine based cough syrups in the past and they do give you a bit of a buzz, which I really didn't enjoy, though the stuff works great for chest congestion. I find it almost incomprehensible that this guy couldn't live comfortably on $500,00 per year - hell - I'd put the pads on and play strong safety for 16-20 games for that amount of moola. :smoker:

Ambridge
09-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Selling Triaminic Hightest sounds like it's a lot more fun.