PDA

View Full Version : Ben out, Batch In?

Livinginthe past
09-28-2006, 01:08 AM
I have read quite a few posts/threads backing Ben - saying, very reasonably, that he requires more time to heal both his mind and his body.

So who are the people who think that Batch should be brought back until Ben shows something in practice to indicate that he is back to his old self?

Maybe you think that a few more games like Ben had sunday and the playoffs could be a distant dream?

This thread is just for posters who think Ben should be benched temporarily.

Are there any of you actually out there?

NM

Steel Pit
09-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Prior to the Jacksonville game you would have found a few people, including myself, that supported doing exactly as this thread suggests.

I think that everyone pretty much believes that the bye week will give Roethlisberger all of the healing time that he needs.

Prosdo
09-28-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm backing Ben. He is gonna come back big against SD.

klick81
09-28-2006, 02:17 AM
He needs as much playing time as possible. Even if it means that he'll throw a few more pics...

Buzz05
09-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Ben is the future of this franchise..to bench him now would only hurt him..not help

HometownGal
09-28-2006, 07:21 AM
I don't think it serves any purpose to bench Ben at this very early part of the season unless he feels he just can't do his job, which I don't believe is the case. Maybe he should have waited until after the bye week to come back as he has been through a helluva lot in a 90 day period of time, but Ben wanted to play and felt he could and I can't get on him for wanting to get back to doing something he loves and excels in. I agree that this time off should give him some time to get his body and mind balanced - he has been out of sync in recent weeks and he needs this time to re-focus and get it together which I truly believe he will.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2006, 08:38 AM
An argument can be made that Ben should have been held out until at least the Cincy game. By bringing Ben back against Jax, Cowher indicated (correctly) that if Ben is not injured placing the best team on the field puts Ben at QB. Batch playing the last 2 weeks obviously could not have turned out any worse, but Cowher can't re-do that decision.

Ben may have been rushed back, but he is the future of the franchise - benching Ben now could have long term problems for Ben's confidence and relationships with the coaches, although, if Cowher is leaving anyhow and figures he does not care about the impact of anything after this season, Cowher may say screw it and leave it up to Whiz (who can tell Ben next year the benching was all Cowher's idea) or whomever else replaces Cowher as head coach to patch up Ben's confidence next season.

HometownGal
09-28-2006, 08:43 AM
An argument can be made that Ben should have been held out until at least the Cincy game. By bringing Ben back against Jax, Cowher indicated (correctly) that if Ben is not injured placing the best team on the field puts Ben at QB. Batch playing the last 2 weeks obviously could not have turned out any worse, but Cowher can't re-do that decision.

Ben may have been rushed back, but he is the future of the franchise - benching Ben now could have long term problems for Ben's confidence and relationships with the coaches, although, if Cowher is leaving anyhow and figures he does not care about the impact of anything after this season, Cowher may say screw it and leave it up to Whiz (who can tell Ben next year the benching was all Cowher's idea) or whomever else replaces Cowher as head coach to patch up Ben's confidence next season.

I see where you are coming from here, Dan, but I do not believe that either Cowher or Wiz would play head games like that, especially not with their franchise QB. Cowher also has developed a "familial" relationshp with the Rooneys - I have no doubt that if and when he retires, be it at the close of this season, next season or whenever, he will always care about the organization and his players. He's just that type of guy and one of the reasons why he is one of the most loved coaches in the NFL.

PisnNapalm
09-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Ben is my quarterback. I would not have started him against Jacksonville though. I'd have rested him one more week.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-28-2006, 01:09 PM
If you go back and watch the ball that Nate Washington dropped in the endzone, i think you will agree that you can not throw a ball any better then ben did.....and he was on the run...
Also, the deep ball....You can see that Ben put all he had into that throw and when it got up there it was blown backwards.....not making an excuse...just watch the ball...
But there is no reason for the interceptions, you cant turn the ball ove on the 2 yard line....
Ben should have ran it or just threw it away.....
I think Ben will be fine........I do enjoy however watching people turn their back on "Big Ben", God sent", mircale maker..whatever everyone has been calling him because he has a bad game or 2.......He will be back and i hope hes our QB for a long time

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Steelers had the wind in the third quarter - for some reason that throw died (Ben claims he stepped on a lineman's foot; Simms said Ben has lost a lot of weigt and may not yet have recognized how much it may affect his throwing strength).

I think Ben was determined to throw it deep and made an error in judgment (as did Whiz for calling that play while the Steelers were pounding it on the ground). If Palmer had not fumbled it right back that INT rather than Coclough's fumble might have been the turning point of the game.

I am looking ahead to San Diego as I hope/anticipate Ben is both physically and mentally ready next week.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I have read quite a few posts/threads backing Ben - saying, very reasonably, that he requires more time to heal both his mind and his body.

So who are the people who think that Batch should be brought back until Ben shows something in practice to indicate that he is back to his old self?

Maybe you think that a few more games like Ben had sunday and the playoffs could be a distant dream?

This thread is just for posters who think Ben should be benched temporarily.

Are there any of you actually out there?

NM

Hell no. Look at it this way LITP. Most recent history shows that as Ben goes so go the Steelers. Ben needs to play until he gets his game back period. Win or lose.

Because if he doesn't get back to what we know he can be then there is a problem and the time to uncover it is sooner rather than later.

Being an optimist I think we'll see the emergence in the second half of the San Diego game.

19ward86
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
ben has 2 weeks of practice, he'll be the old ben by week 5.

augustashark
09-28-2006, 04:35 PM
What the hell, Litp said only people who back Batch should reply. So for no other reason then that everyone who has replied has back Ben.

I say lets go for Batch...There Litp.

CantStop85
09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I think it would be pointless to bench Ben right now. He still has the bye week before his next game...that should give him enough recovery time.

I think the Steelers made a mistake by rushing him back after one game. Charlie Batch was doing fine as a replacement and an appendectomy can really hinder one's throwing strength. But, hey, tony_hipchest could tell you all that, after all he's the expert on quarterbacks being rushed back into a game too soon, right?

Elvis
09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
This should Not even be a considered thread right now... you have got to be kiddin'...
Ben is Our Starter... Period
The Steelers didnt want Ben to come back in such a big game as the Bengals game... not to say that the Jaguars game wasnt big, but the Bengals game is the early division game that you didnt want to lose... JUST GIVE BEN HIS DUE TIME... HE WILL BE FINE

Big D
09-29-2006, 05:12 PM
I said from the begining that batch should start until ben is 100% physically and emmotionaly. I back ben, I know as well as everyone else that he is the present and future of this organization. I think the steelers have had some ignorance by playing him the past two weeks. There is no point risking the season the way the coaching staff did. With all the potential health risks after bens surgery it just wasnt smart putting him in. I havent seen ben play with confidence yet this year.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
09-30-2006, 02:24 AM
One thing i know is that if we get up aroung the 3-4 loss area early in the season we are screwed. we can't lose again in this division.

TheTruestBlackGoldFan
09-30-2006, 02:25 AM
We can pull off 13 straight, we have done it before.

HometownGal
09-30-2006, 07:27 AM
We can pull off 13 straight, we have done it before.

That's the right 'tude! :smile: Keep that positive energy going! :tt02:

Justin Otstott
09-30-2006, 10:33 AM
keep Ben in...its kinda 2 late to bench him now...**** it, that would make things worst.

slashsteel
10-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Ok I will say this. It was not a mistake for Ben to start when he did. The NFL game is brutal, a player needs time sometimes to get back into the swing of things. Practice often doesn't do it for a player. Nothing beats game experience. Ben would have been rusty even if he sat out one more game. Get him in there! If we lose a couple with Big Ben in the beginning, sobeit!

Enough with the Batch talk !

IMO If you are a true Steeler fan this is your thinking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is Steeler fans then everybody else................ :)

MattsMe
10-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Bench Big Ben! Start St. Pierre!!! :toofunny:

Hines0wnz
10-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Last I checked, Batch is being paid as a back up. I know Ben may not be 100% across the board but if people want to think Batch would be better then they should Google the Detroit Lions when he started there. That is your answer. :blah:

DoctorJanSteelerFan
10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
BATCH OR BUST.

Ben had a great first season. But he is not playing with the same body or brain that he had previous to his motorcycle accident and appendectomy. Not even Superman could play without significant rehab. The motorcycle accident ALONE should have kept the medical staff from allowing him to play. PERIOD. Ben should not play until he can get back up to playing on a PROFESSIONAL level. Why are some Steeler fans, the coaches and the medical staff putting their heads in the sand? This is the NFL, not high school football. Let's remember that football is a TEAM sport and the best players deserve to play.

Charlie Batch has shown he plays on a professional level and it's stupid not to use him at least until Ben's capable of playing at an NFL level. Even in baseball they take out good pitchers when they begin faltering. Can we stop being idiots while the rest of the teams love that we're being so stupid?:banging: