PDA

View Full Version : Missing RandleEl

DACEB
09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
There has been alot of disscussion about what is wrong with the team, Ben, blah blah blah. In my opinion the problem is we miss Randle El. We would not be discussing punt returns if El were back returning. Big Ben is going to be fine, BUT he is doing the best with what he has. El was not only a great return guy he was a very good slot (3rd) reciever. He created seperation and stetched the field, which none of the recievers have been able to do (I know Hines is still not 100%). You need someone to stretch the field or it is that much more difficult for Ben. I would love to see what Ried could do for both those aspects. We definitely would not have lost to Cincy if we had El still playing. The defense has played great every game, no question. I know they gave up those two quick TD's after the turnovers, but you cannot give the other team the ball like that inside your 20, and the catch by T.J.H. was a great catch (that hurt to say). I think we will be o.k. if we continue to run the ball and minimize mistakes. I believe Ben will get stronger as the year goes on. We can make up that game against Cincy on new years eve, but we must beat the ratbirds and we must beat some very good teams on the road (which we did last year). If we can do that we will be in the playoffs again!!

klick81
09-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been thinking the same about El. There's just no way we were gonna give him that kind of money. And that was the correct decision.

WhoRide
09-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't miss his lateral fumble in the Pats game last year, or how he danced on returns.

steelfan 92
09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
he might have danced on returns, but he could catch the ball , and he also made a huge difference in field position. i'm not saying he is worth that kind of money, but i would still love to have him. he was a force, and huge with our trick plays. right now i don't care about return yards, just get someone back there who can catch.

HometownGal
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
There has been alot of disscussion about what is wrong with the team, Ben, blah blah blah. In my opinion the problem is we miss Randle El. We would not be discussing punt returns if El were back returning. Big Ben is going to be fine, BUT he is doing the best with what he has. El was not only a great return guy he was a very good slot (3rd) reciever. He created seperation and stetched the field, which none of the recievers have been able to do (I know Hines is still not 100%). You need someone to stretch the field or it is that much more difficult for Ben. I would love to see what Ried could do for both those aspects. We definitely would not have lost to Cincy if we had El still playing. The defense has played great every game, no question. I know they gave up those two quick TD's after the turnovers, but you cannot give the other team the ball like that inside your 20, and the catch by T.J.H. was a great catch (that hurt to say). I think we will be o.k. if we continue to run the ball and minimize mistakes. I believe Ben will get stronger as the year goes on. We can make up that game against Cincy on new years eve, but we must beat the ratbirds and we must beat some very good teams on the road (which we did last year). If we can do that we will be in the playoffs again!!

I miss El more for his versatility in being able to wear several different hats in the offensive scheme than I miss him for "being able to stretch the field". Looking back, El had the dropsies at times, so I don't think his leaving was all that crucial. Imho, we had a wideout for that purpose in Quincy Morgan, but the coaches didn't see it that way obviously. Santonio, Reid and basically Washington are all rookies and are still learning the playbook - we have to give them a little more time here. I believe Santonio and Washington are improving each week and getting more comfortable in their roles. After last week's fiasco with Coke on that PR, as well as a few of his other blunders with those banana fingers, I think we just may see Reid back there next week returning punts and kickoffs. That is the main reason the Steelers drafted him in the first place and I think Cowher realizes that an unproven rookie is the better way to go at this point than taking anymore risks with Coke back there.

I think the Steelers miss the Bus more than El - just mho. Hopefully Davenport will be able to fil that void very shortly.

wadester47
09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
I miss him,
but in all honesty we were not going to pay him , the steelers over time have never payed big amounts of money. we are well below our cap. great player sorry to see him go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-28-2006, 11:59 AM
].......Imho, we had a wideout for that purpose in Quincy Morgan, but the coaches didn't see it that way obviously.[/B]

Amen..sister!!!!!!!!!!!..Rep points for you!!!!

siss
09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't miss his lateral fumble in the Pats game last year, or how he danced on returns.
Well its about Damn time you made your first post silly girl! Ladies and gentelman I would like you to meet the women that keeps me sane on game days, she is the voice of reason and one hell of a steeler fan. When I grow up I wanna be just like here!:tt02:

Oh yea and didn't El only have one touchdown last year?

WhoRide
09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
I had to come out of hiding sometime. :oops: :grin:

siss
09-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Well welcome!!!

Lyn
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I am a franchise person as opposed to being a player fan. El should be where he is now. He didn't want to stay here, remember, "God showed him the way".........and the Redskins showed him the money.

stlrtruck
09-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Let's face it, if El would have dropped that punt, we would have been calling for his head too! I agree with an earlier assessment that he had the dropsies at times. We have enough players on the roster that can run gimmick plays.

Da Question
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Dont miss him for pr. liked the option of having 2 qbs on the field at once but thats about it.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
he might have danced on returns, but he could catch the ball , and he also made a huge difference in field position. i'm not saying he is worth that kind of money, but i would still love to have him. he was a force, and huge with our trick plays. right now i don't care about return yards, just get someone back there who can catch.

He definately danced. He would be nice to have him but a "force?" 35 catches for under 600 yards and 1 touchdown is a "force?"

Anyway enough about ARE. He is definately not worth that kind of money to be in Black and Gold. I like the guy but business is business.

A good catch starts with a good throw. Both the QB and the receivers have to figure it out in the next two weeks before we fall into the abyss. We can survive a loss to the Chargers but another one to KC will be the abyss. I don't see it happening so I'm not worried.

HometownGal
09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Dont miss him for pr. liked the option of having 2 qbs on the field at once but thats about it.

When Hines is on the field, we do have two QBs on the field at once. :smile:

19ward86
09-28-2006, 03:44 PM
we dont have a starter that can be a big threat and distraction. holmes and ward should start instead of wilson.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2006, 03:57 PM
A Hearty Welcome to WhoRide!

With respect to the topic, we could not afford what Randle-El is being paid to keep him. ARE won the annual lottery as to which player gets a ridiculous contract from Danny Snyder, the George Streinbrenner of the NFL (with the big difference being that the Yankees have at least bought their way into the playoffs for the last 10 years) .

If Snyder would have overpaid for someone else, then ARE probably would have gone to the Bears. I cannot figure out any scenario in which he would have stayed in Pittsburgh once Ward was signed in 2005.

I am not saying ARE leaving was not a loss, but please tell me who we should not have signed and how much we should have offered (to the detriment of future money in the salary cap bank for signings such as Taylor and, in years to come, Troy) to keep ARE.

If we have this much wailing over ARE, wait until Porter and some of the offensive linemen get their walking papers for cap reasons.

noto45
09-28-2006, 04:11 PM
el is not missed by me or the reason we lost. I never like RC returning punts we should ahve kept Quincy for that and his role as a wide out.

augustashark
09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Holmes can stretch the field! That kid when he was at OSU was 2nd only to Ginn as far as speed goes. Wilson is ok for position, but we need Holmes to live up to what we drafted him for and what we are paying him for!

Elvis
09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Randel El was our 3rd down reciever and gadget leader... but as far as leadership he wasnt... Hines has got to take that role and run with it... of course we miss him at returning kicks dont we...?

DACEB
09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
I agree and understand we could not keep El for the money he wanted. I'm just saying we miss him right about now. I also agree we need to get the right personell on the field. If Reid was our best PR in preseason why is he not back there. Don't dress St. Pierre and go with 2 QB's on game day. That way Reid could get in there and Morey can stay on for special teams. We don't know what Reid can do as a receiver either if he does not play. I'd like to see Holmes given an oppurtunity at #2 also, Wilson has not been that impressive. I think we would all like to see Holmes live up to the expectations we have.

Da Question
09-29-2006, 09:41 AM
When Hines is on the field, we do have two QBs on the field at once. :smile:

That is true. But we dont line him up the way we did with randall, is what i meant. Hines is the #1 wr so he wont be in the back field or run off trick reverse passes. ya know. He the guy catching the trick passes. Unless they change the playbook this yr. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
I'd like to see Holmes given an oppurtunity at #2 also, Wilson has not been that impressive. I think we would all like to see Holmes live up to the expectations we have.

Wilson hasn't played all that badly, imho. All of the Steelers wideouts thus far this season have had their problems catching the ball, not just Cedrick. Here's how they stack up:

Ward - 9 recepts/99 yards, 11.0 avg., 1 TD, 8 first downs
Wilson - 4 recepts/85 yards, 21.3 avg., 0 TD, 2-20+ receptions, 3 first downs
Washington - 6 recepts/72 yards, 12.0 avg., 1 TD, 1-20+ reception, 5 first downs
Holmes - 5 recepts/51 yards, 10.2 avg., 0 TD, 0-20+ receptions, 3 first downs

I really believe the Steelers need to get their TE's more involved in the offense, particularly Heath Miller. He proved in Game #1 against the Fins that he can indeed be a big (literally and figuratively) playmaker. :tt02:

HometownGal
09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Unless they change the playbook this yr. :thumbsup:

Maybe that isn't such a bad idea. :smile:

Da Question
09-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Wilson hasn't played all that badly, imho. All of the Steelers wideouts thus far this season have had their problems catching the ball, not just Cedrick. Here's how they stack up:

Ward - 9 recepts/99 yards, 11.0 avg., 1 TD, 8 first downs
Wilson - 4 recepts/85 yards, 21.3 avg., 0 TD, 2-20+ receptions, 3 first downs
Washington - 6 recepts/72 yards, 12.0 avg., 1 TD, 1-20+ reception, 5 first downs
Holmes - 5 recepts/51 yards, 10.2 avg., 0 TD, 0-20+ receptions, 3 first downs

I really believe the Steelers need to get their TE's more involved in the offense, particularly Heath Miller. He proved in Game #1 against the Fins that he can indeed be a big (literally and figuratively) playmaker. :tt02:

Been discussin the same thing in the reid topic.

glad to see someone agrees with me about ced wilson.

and i agree about heath miller. TE's are a big part of our offense and shouldnt be neglected.:cheers:

ShortBus36
09-29-2006, 10:08 AM
as the season winds to a close,we may end up missing #36...but I hope not.

SteelersWoman
09-29-2006, 01:50 PM
remember, "God showed him the way".........and the Redskins showed him the money.

:toofunny: That cracked me up Lyn

LambertLunatic
09-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Ward can't do it alone. Without someone to stretch the field, opposing defenses will blanket Ward, and our passing game will be nonexistent. Last year we had the 2nd receiver that we needed, and we let him go. Why did we let Buress go?? Oops, wrong year.

My point is that people were complaining when we refused to overpay Burress, but we done ok last season without him. Likewise, we'll overcome the loss of ARE this year.