PDA

View Full Version : STEELERS BIGGEST RIVALRY?

Elvis
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I love our steelers and I cant stand the Bengals... but are they our biggest rival of all time or even right now?
My all time rival for the Steelers would have to be the Cowboys or Raiders.. Right now at this time it would probably have to be the Bengals... a few years ago I thought it was the Patriots... I really cant stand them but I respect them... The Bengals do Not have My Respect. They have never won a big game in their lives and until they do, then they Dont have my respect, they have to earn it..
The Steelers and Cowboys have played some very memorable games... 3 super bowls... Steelers 2 Neil O'Donnell/Cowboys 1
Ohhh... the Rai----ders.......
My best friend loves the Raiders, they are some of the wineyest fans out there... the tuck rule just mention it to him and he will go forever.. The Steelers N Raiders hated each other in the 70's and early 80's... I still cant stand the dirty A$$ Raiders... my buddy agrees that they are dirty and still doesnt understand why they are the most penalized team in the league Every year...God Bless

Stlrs4Life
09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
This has just been rehashed not that long ago. Cleveland remains our biggest rival. At the moent it may seem like the Bengals.

stillers4me
09-28-2006, 05:24 PM
The Bengals WANT to be our biggest rivals......I refuse to yield to thugs.

Elvis
09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
maybe Cleveland in the 80's but not now to me...

BBC
09-28-2006, 09:44 PM
One color can answer our biggest rival.

Browns.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
The bengals put together a good jailbird team and for once in their history and they want to put there name in the same sentence as the steelers...:dang:

stillers4me
09-29-2006, 05:30 AM
I'll take a total shut out Steeler season over that chain gang bunch of thugs any day. And that includes their enabler of a coach.

HometownGal
09-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Though they tend to suck, the Browns are the Steelers' true rivals - have been for decades. I used to look at the Rats a little as rivals because they were the old Browns, but there is only one remaining player on the Rats' roster who was an original stain and that is Matt Stover.

Infamix
09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
I think the Steelers-Bengals is a rivalry, especailly to the media.

Da Question
09-29-2006, 10:18 AM
it might just be me cuz my age but a huge rivaly to me was the houston oilers and steelers, man i hated those guys specially warren moon, givens,:dualies: :rocket:

Biggest rivalry to me prolly be the cowboys. 3 superbowls against eachother is big. I would say the browns but some years the games dont have much going on since the browns arent always a playoff team.

Chamberlain
09-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I think the Browns rivalry kinda lost some steam when Moddell moved them to Baltimore, and they didn't exist for a couple years.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Ricardo Colclough

stlrtruck
09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I'd say either the browns! Either the old ones (ravens) or the new ones!!

SteelersWoman
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM

I wish I could find an article I read not long ago...but it said something to the effect that the Browns are rivals in name only--that they haven't been "true rivals" in a LONG time.

The article was implying that in order for it to be a real football rivalry, there has to be a chance for the other team to win.

In the 80's, Bernie Kosar was probably the closest to gettin them to a division championship and the Super Bowl that they've ever seen to date, so during that time they were a "real rival".

I'll keep looking for that article, and if I find it I'll post it up.

SteelersWoman
09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Ricardo Colclough

:toofunny:

HometownGal
09-29-2006, 01:49 PM
The article was implying that in order for it to be a real football rivalry, there has to be a chance for the other team to win.

On any given day, every team in the NFL has a 50% chance of winning, no matter what the matchup.

cmdrfunk
09-29-2006, 02:32 PM
On any given day, every team in the NFL has a 50% chance of winning, no matter what the matchup.

Um that is ridiculous.

I'll give you at most every team has a chance of winning. 50%... no i think not or every team would be around 8-8 every season except for a couple anomalies that in the long run get balanced by anomalies in the other direction.

You're just spouting "any given sunday" nonsense that only means that, gasp, sometimes good teams lose.

SteelersWoman
09-29-2006, 02:39 PM
I think the article was implying a chance to win the division or the Super Bowl...not just a game

HometownGal
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Um that is ridiculous.

I'll give you at most every team has a chance of winning. 50%... no i think not or every team would be around 8-8 every season except for a couple anomalies that in the long run get balanced by anomalies in the other direction.

You're just spouting "any given sunday" nonsense that only means that, gasp, sometimes good teams lose.

Mmmmkay. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll respectfully disagree.

P.S. You might want to take note that I said a CHANCE of winning.

silver & black
09-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I love our steelers and I cant stand the Bengals... but are they our biggest rival of all time or even right now?
My all time rival for the Steelers would have to be the Cowboys or Raiders.. Right now at this time it would probably have to be the Bengals... a few years ago I thought it was the Patriots... I really cant stand them but I respect them... The Bengals do Not have My Respect. They have never won a big game in their lives and until they do, then they Dont have my respect, they have to earn it..
The Steelers and Cowboys have played some very memorable games... 3 super bowls... Steelers 2 Neil O'Donnell/Cowboys 1
Ohhh... the Rai----ders.......
My best friend loves the Raiders, they are some of the wineyest fans out there... the tuck rule just mention it to him and he will go forever.. The Steelers N Raiders hated each other in the 70's and early 80's... I still cant stand the dirty A$$ Raiders... my buddy agrees that they are dirty and still doesnt understand why they are the most penalized team in the league Every year...God Bless

You know what? I hear the same s**t about the Steelers being "dirty". It's bulls**t. That's the way the game was played back then. Yea, the Raiders played very physical football back then...so did the Steelers. The Raiders hit hard, got in your face, and dared you to anything about it... if that's dirty, fine. I'll give you the Georgre Atkinson hit on Swann... that was dirty. It was also intimidation... the Raiders were masters of it. Give me an example of how the Raiders are dirty today, and the Steelers aren't.

Raider fans are whiny? Give me a break! We are the most loyal fans in all of football... right along with Steeler fans.

Why shouldn't we feel cheated about the tuck/fumble? It most probably cost us another ring. If the shoe were on the other foot, how would you respond?

I come to this board because I have a grudging respect for the Steelers. I remember the battles we fought back in the day. I don't find it all that hard to give respect where it's due. I wished you well in the Superbowl last year and defended your win against all the nay sayers and whiners who cried about the officiating, and I still do.

How about a little respect in return.

Elvis
09-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Respect.. here is your respect.. Raiders have the worst record in the NFL since the year that you guys had the AFC Tittle bought for you because your excoach was the coach in the NFC... that is the only reason the Raiders even made it there that year... ... the WORST record in the NFL since then... ok ... there is your Raider respect... The Raiders are the most penalized team in the NFL for a reason... I only know a few Raider fans and they all say the same thing... oh... we are cheated every week... you guys sound like that the refs are the only reason your team loses... Raiders/ Old or New are Chumps... I love the Tuck Rule just for the fact that it was the Raiders that it happened to.... I dont agree that it was the right call but it Couldnt Have Happened to A Nicer Team...
C

silver & black
09-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Respect.. here is your respect.. Raiders have the worst record in the NFL since the year that you guys had the AFC Tittle bought for you because your excoach was the coach in the NFC... that is the only reason the Raiders even made it there that year... ... the WORST record in the NFL since then... ok ... there is your Raider respect... The Raiders are the most penalized team in the NFL for a reason... I only know a few Raider fans and they all say the same thing... oh... we are cheated every week... you guys sound like that the refs are the only reason your team loses... Raiders/ Old or New are Chumps... I love the Tuck Rule just for the fact that it was the Raiders that it happened to.... I dont agree that it was the right call but it Couldnt Have Happened to A Nicer Team...
C

Wow... just wow!

I won't bother with you again. There are some pretty cool people here, you obviously aren't one of them.

wadester47
09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
ORDER OF hate( lifetime) well my lifetime:

5. Houston OLiers
4. Dallas Crybabies
3. oakland Raiders
2. Baltimore ratbirds
1. Clevland Browns( mistake by the lake)

I have no respect for the Bungles, give em a couple weeks they will fold.

19ward86
09-29-2006, 04:59 PM

in the 80s? more like the jim brown era, the 50s. haha jk:toofunny:

sumo
09-29-2006, 05:04 PM
it might just be me cuz my age but a huge rivaly to me was the houston oilers and steelers, man i hated those guys specially warren moon, givens,:dualies: :rocket:

Biggest rivalry to me prolly be the cowboys. 3 superbowls against eachother is big. I would say the browns but some years the games dont have much going on since the browns arent always a playoff team.

I agree with this comment -- to say the Browns just doesn't seem right -- the Steelers and Oilers went through a three year period of time in the late 70s when they were the two best teams in the league and played each other three times a year -- and after that - the Warren Moon/Glanville years when Knoll and Glanville would argue after their games at midfield --

Beyond the division you would have to say the Cowboys and Raiders followed closely by the Patriots recently -- the Browns have been a non factor for such a long time -- they were at one time during the 70s and briefly during the 80s when the Browns had Kosar/Byner -- but then they were choking against Denver - not us...

You see any of the ESPN classic stuff on the Steelers of the 70s and you will always see old Raiders and Cowboys players and Madden whining about the Steelers ....

silver & black
09-29-2006, 05:25 PM
You see any of the ESPN classic stuff on the Steelers of the 70s and you will always see old Raiders and Cowboys players and Madden whining about the Steelers ....

That's funny. I clearly remember someone's coach wanting to bring a law suite against the Raiders because they hit too hard.:sofunny:

Stillers#1
09-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Man....I gotta go with the Ratbirds....it doesn't matter how good theye are, or how good we are, it always seems like we split the season series. To top things off, they used to be the Clowns, and that hatred of Art Modell is always going to be there for me. The man tried to kill the greatest rivalry in sports, but all he did, in my eyes, was make one that was even greater. The Bengals, are just a younger version on the ratbirds in my opinion.

sumo
09-29-2006, 06:42 PM
That's funny. I clearly remember someone's coach wanting to bring a law suite against the Raiders because they hit too hard.:sofunny:

HEY! -- a Raiders fan -unlike a lot of Steeler fans, I like a lot of the teams that have given us a good rivalry over the years - and I have always liked the Raiders -- I think Al Davis is good for the NFL -- my uncle was drafted by the Raiders back in the late 60s -- I remember well when Madden was their coach -- Stabler, Branch, Kasper, Matuszak, Sistrunk -- those guys were great -- but the incident you are referring to was not good -- Tatum came up behind Swann after the whistle and cold ****ed him with a forearm to the back of the neck - knocking him unconcious and giving him a major concussion -- incident was caught on tape -- he was fined - I remember the whole thing even though I was a kid -- had nothing to do with hitting too hard -- had everything to do with a blatant cheap shot that jeopardized another player's season -- read Tatum's book -- Knoll was being kind when he called him a criminal...

jaysta
09-29-2006, 06:52 PM
One color can answer our biggest rival.

Browns.

You're right. I never understood the mindset to think that we're changing rival teams just because one team is weaker than the other. It has always been the Browns and any Steelers fan who sat in the Dawg Pound at the old Browns stadium will know exactly what I'm talking about. :smile:

clarient
09-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Honestly, it feels like we're rivals with the whole damn world half the time. Seems like every team wants to get up in our face.

silver & black
09-29-2006, 07:03 PM
HEY! -- a Raiders fan -unlike a lot of Steeler fans, I like a lot of the teams that have given us a good rivalry over the years - and I have always liked the Raiders -- I think Al Davis is good for the NFL -- my uncle was drafted by the Raiders back in the late 60s -- I remember well when Madden was their coach -- Stabler, Branch, Kasper, Matuszak, Sistrunk -- those guys were great -- but the incident you are referring to was not good -- Tatum came up behind Swann after the whistle and cold ****ed him with a forearm to the back of the neck - knocking him unconcious and giving him a major concussion -- incident was caught on tape -- he was fined - I remember the whole thing even though I was a kid -- had nothing to do with hitting too hard -- had everything to do with a blatant cheap shot that jeopardized another player's season -- read Tatum's book -- Knoll was being kind when he called him a criminal...

Thanks for being civil. All those guys you mentioned are MY raiders. My youngest daughter got her picture taken with Cliff Branch while she wore his Super bowl ring at the HOF game this year... pretty cool for a die hard Raider dad!

I'll give you that one, it was definately a cheap shot. I never said the Raiders didn't do it. I'm saying that ALL teams did it... the Raiders just made a career of intimidation. The Steelers sure weren't angels back then either... they gave as good as they got!

clarient
09-29-2006, 07:09 PM
C

You'd think that with all the crap we've taken about the refs and 'stealing' Superbowl XL that you would think twice about levying similar accusations.

Stlrs4Life
09-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Ricardo Colclough

LOL! Now that's hilarious!

Lyn
09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Um that is ridiculous.

There is nothing at all ridiculous about what Hometown said she is VERY correct!~

you may want to reread what she truly did say.

floodcitygirl
09-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Ricardo ColcloughHe's got my vote! :toofunny:

X-Terminator
09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Um that is ridiculous.

How is it "nonsense?" Every team does have a chance to win every week - when the teams take the field, they both have the same chance of winning and losing, because no team is head and shoulders above or below anyone else, and there is no such thing as a guaranteed win. THAT is the point being made with "any given Sunday."

SteelersWoman
09-30-2006, 01:22 AM
This is one of dictionary.com's definition of a rival: A person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority.

...so which teams fit that description?

The answer(s) to that should answer the rival question--at least in my mind...

HometownGal
09-30-2006, 07:42 AM
This is one of dictionary.com's definition of a rival: A person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority.

...so which teams fit that description?

The answer(s) to that should answer the rival question--at least in my mind...

Thanks for the research, SteelersWoman, but I still stand by my earlier post. Any team, on any given day, is in a position to dispute another's preeminence and/or superiority. When two teams come out onto the field, they are equals until proven otherwise that day.

Elvis
09-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Silver&Black... and to all forrum friends
I am truly sorry for the thread toward Silver & Black yesterday.. just having a bad day I guess... Silver... I have alot of respect for the Raiders, just my friend makes it sound like that the Raiders have Everything in the world going against them and if not for that they would be in the super bowl every year... he is one of the worst people in the world to watch a game with when the Raiders are playin' anyone... I just believe the Raiders will Never have a good coach until Al Davis is gone...he is the organazation's problem and he needs to either let his coach do his job or let the Raiders go and get a real life today owner...God Bless Ya bro...

silver & black
09-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Silver&Black... and to all forrum friends
I am truly sorry for the thread toward Silver & Black yesterday.. just having a bad day I guess... Silver... I have alot of respect for the Raiders, just my friend makes it sound like that the Raiders have Everything in the world going against them and if not for that they would be in the super bowl every year... he is one of the worst people in the world to watch a game with when the Raiders are playin' anyone... I just believe the Raiders will Never have a good coach until Al Davis is gone...he is the organazation's problem and he needs to either let his coach do his job or let the Raiders go and get a real life today owner...God Bless Ya bro...

I understand bad days bro. No hard feelings. :cheers:

There are homer fans with every team... the Raiders are no exception. On RF.net there were people spouting off about being playoff bound and back in the Superbowl this year. :sofunny: ... there are way too many things that need fixing before that ever happens. Most of us would be happy winning 7 games this year. I predicted 8-8, which I thought was being kind, but hey, I'm a fan. :thumbsup:

There are quite a lot of us Raider fans that understand that all things start at the top. The thing that gets me is, Al Davis is first and foremost a football guy. It is just hard to imagine that he let this team slip so far. I have great respect for him, and I appreciate all that he has done for the Raiders and the NFL in general. I think he is gripping to and old, outdated ideal that no longer has merrit in today's NFL.

I really can't pinpoint when it all went so wrong... some say Gruden leaving. I can't fully discredit that but, I think Gruden was just a bright spot in 20 years of mediocrity.

Now we have Shell back. He was not my first choice, but I'll back him. He took us to 3 playoff appearences in 4 years... not exactly shabby. I detest that we have Tom Walsh back as OC... it really makes no sense. I really wanted Petrino, followed by Whizenhunt for head coach. Whizenhunt made the right choice by staying with the Steelers. He will inherit a solid team with a solid organization behind him when his time comes for the head coaching position.

I have been a Raiders fan since 1968. I remember all the great teams and players... all the great games our 2 teams played together. It truely sucks to see your team struggle so bad after watching them be so great for so long. I hope you never have to experience what us Raider fans are going through now. All I can do as a fan is grin and bare it, and support my team untill things get better... who knows, maybe they will get their s**t together yet this year and we can se some improvement.

jaysta
09-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the research, SteelersWoman, but I still stand by my earlier post. Any team, on any given day, is in a position to dispute another's preeminence and/or superiority. When two teams come out onto the field, they are equals until proven otherwise that day.

This is true. But doesn't a true rivalry go back to almost a "city rivalry". When the fans from the cities have been enemies for years then true rivalries form. For instance Buffalo and Miami, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, NY Yankees and the Red Sox, etc... That was always my thought. :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2006, 01:01 PM
This is true. But doesn't a true rivalry go back to almost a "city rivalry". When the fans from the cities have been enemies for years then true rivalries form. For instance Buffalo and Miami, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, NY Yankees and the Red Sox, etc... That was always my thought. :tt02:

Exactly.

HometownGal
09-30-2006, 02:09 PM

I'm not disputing that in the least, jaysta - see my first post in this thread where I specifically mentioned the Steelers/Browns rivalry. The thread took a little bit of a turn and in my second post, I addressed a statement I didn't agree with, that's all. :smile:

jaysta
09-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not disputing that in the least, jaysta - see my first post in this thread where I specifically mentioned the Steelers/Browns rivalry. The thread took a little bit of a turn and in my second post, I addressed a statement I didn't agree with, that's all. :smile:

Sounds good to me. Isn't it funny how these threads can take a turn from such a simple question as to who are true rival is. LOL! Personally, anyone who has followed the Steelers (or even football for that matter) since at least the 70's know that the Steelers and Browns have always hated each other. Maybe the Rust Belt has more of a gleam to it, but growing up in this area, the Rust Belt Rivalry between the Steelers and Browns will always be my favorite. :cheers:

SteelersWoman
10-01-2006, 04:24 AM
The Steelers have beaten Cleveland and won 11 of the past 12 meetings. Since 1994, Pittsburgh is 18-3 vs. Cleveland.

When I look at the rivalry issue (of at least the last 12 yrs)--I can see why the Browns hate us, and why they consider us rivals.

I'm havin a harder time understanding why Steelers fans would consider Browns to be rivals considering the losses they've posted against us, but I do "get" from listening to those on here that've been football fans for a long time that it's just the thing to do if you've been following from the beginning.

I know everyone has their own opinion as to who are rivals, I just wanted to explain why in MY mind the Browns don't fit that category--at least for me. And I know a lot of you are probably laughing at the "new gal" lol

But for me being a fairly new fan to football (but don't mistake "newness" to lack of enthusiasm! lol) --when our team steps onto the field facing the Browns, I never had the slightest doubt that we'd win. (I realize that any team can have an off day and we COULD lose to the Browns, it just doesn't seem to happen much, and I've never personally seen it happen).

I'd LIKE to think though that we win simply because our team is better, and not just that we had a 50% chance of winning. Doesn't that make it sound as though talent and skill don't even enter the picture, and it comes down to nothing more than luck--either it's on your side or it's not that day?

I'd hate to think that's really all it boiled down to--that our team wins whatever games they do just because they're "luckier" than the team they played....

I thought that's why teams always wanted the players picked higher in the draft--to give them better talent for the team? If it's just luck, why do the high draft pick thing? I guess I'm feeling a bit confused...and very stupid at the moment, and my "newness" is showing :crying01: :hunch:

Elvis
10-01-2006, 05:44 AM
If you are a new fan to the Steelers its fine to feel that way honey... I am not a new fan and I feel the same way you do... I cant say right now that I hate the Browns but it the 80's I did just like I hated the Bengals.. those 2 teams always used to give us a hard time and beat us all the time seemed like.. if you were a fan back then then you would understand why everyone hates the Browns... just at this time right now it is the Bengals that is gettin all the attention along with the Ravens...I dont mind the Ravens as much as I Cant stand Ray Lewis... for an ex Hurricane (me being a Hurricane fan) I cant stand him...God Bless
P..S
by the way Whisenhunt Aint gonna be our next Head Coach anyway Silver & Black... Russ Grimm is settin' pretty for that job I hope...

HometownGal
10-01-2006, 09:55 AM
I'd LIKE to think though that we win simply because our team is better, and not just that we had a 50% chance of winning. Doesn't that make it sound as though talent and skill don't even enter the picture, and it comes down to nothing more than luck--either it's on your side or it's not that day?

I'd hate to think that's really all it boiled down to--that our team wins whatever games they do just because they're "luckier" than the team they played....

Sometimes, lady luck DOES play a role in deciding the outcome of a game, no matter what the sport. With regard to football, a bad call, a ball that bounces the wrong way or is inadvertently tipped, a ball that hits an upright and bounces in the wrong direction, a mental mistake, etc - it happens. Also - sometimes an "inferior" team on paper steps it up and their opponent, viewed as "superior" has a let down. All part of the game. I don't take ANY opponent the Steelers play for granted - never have, never will. While I go into each Steelers game filled with optimism, I've learned over the years to prepare for the unexpected.

The Steelers/Browns rivalry has long been known as the "Turnpike Rivalry". I remember back when Eight Chinned Modell moved the team to Baltimore and the Browns fans were irate, as they should have been. Many Steelers fans felt their pain, as this rivalry goes back a long, long time. Maybe the rivalry isn't as intense as it once used to be, but it's still very much there - ask a Browns fan. There is still a hatred between the two teams, as well as their fan bases, most likely because many Browns fans, like Steelers fans, have a large corps of long-time diehard fans, unlike many other franchises, who remember the dog-fights between the Steelers and Browns. All franchises have ebbs and tides, highs and lows. The Steelers have been pretty much on a high for the last decade or so while the Browns have definitely been in a low. That, too, can change and change quickly, so as I have said, I never count any team out.

Everyone has their own opinions on the rivalry issue and those opinions are very much respected and taken note of. If we all had the same theories, thoughts and opinions, how boring this place would be! :smile: :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Sometimes, lady luck DOES play a role in deciding the outcome of a game,

Otherwise known as the Football Gods.

HometownGal
10-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Otherwise known as the Football Gods.

Yep - most definitely. :smile:

SteelersWoman
10-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks much to those who answered my post! I definitely understand better now than before I asked :thumbsup:

I agree HometownGal, I love the exchange of ideas and information--it's what keeps life interesting :smile:

I'm not only a new fan to the Steelers, but to the whole game of football. The first game I ever watched was the Steelers first regular season game last year. (My son is a die hard Steelers fan).

I have pretty much ate, slept, and breathed it ever since--and the fact that we won the Super Bowl the first year I started watchin was just incredible! :bouncy:

I have NO idea how I lived without football before last year--I just know that I'm doin everything in my power to make up for lost time :flap:

I feel a great pride in the team, and pride in myself that even at my age I've been able to learn so much in such a short time. There's just so much MORE to learn, and so many nuances to the game, that I'm sure I'll still be learning for quite some time.

Just glad I have somewhere to come to continue the learning process, and share my thoughts and ideas, and be able to share in all of yours :toast:

Preacher
10-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Come on now people.. We have to choose between the New Browns, the old Browns, and the Paul Brown wannabee Bungles.

THERE IS ONLY ONE RIVALRY... IN THREE CITIES!

sumo
10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I understand bad days bro. No hard feelings. :cheers:

I have been a Raiders fan since 1968. I remember all the great teams and players... all the great games our 2 teams played together. It truely sucks to see your team struggle so bad after watching them be so great for so long. I hope you never have to experience what us Raider fans are going through now. All I can do as a fan is grin and bare it, and support my team untill things get better... who knows, maybe they will get their s**t together yet this year and we can se some improvement.

Yeah -- us older fans always long for the days when the NFL really came into it's own -- right after the AFL was created and thru the 70s -- that was a great era -- teams stayed together and true rivalries were established -- no matter what happens with the Raiders - Al Davis is good for the NFL ...even the biggest Raider haters have to admit that it will be a sad day when the camera pans up to the owner's box during a Raiders game and you don't see that old ugly dude in the jogging suit sitting there...

TimboSTEEL
10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
According to these people its the Ravens!

http://p203.ezboard.com/bravenssuck

:banging:

sumo
10-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Atlanta Falcons

TimboSTEEL
10-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Falcons? Really?

sumo
10-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Falcons? Really?

yeah -- they took Maddox out o commission

Elvis
10-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Maddox out of comiss... thats pretty cool... The Falcons just dont play anyone until they play the Panthers every year and we will see how the next game goes against the Panthers... The Steelers gave that game to Atlanta 3 years ago... that, unless I am wrong, is the only game that the Steelers have lost after leading by 10 or more points going into the 4th quarter in Cowhers years here in Pittsburgh...

Lyn
10-04-2006, 11:59 AM
IMO, until the Bengals win consecutively and win playoff games (even as a wildcard) that could possibly land them in the Superbowl, they are not in the same ball park as the Steelers.

The Ratbirds have won it....................so they are in our ballpark and there is plenty of reason to "hate" them.

Before they left for Baltimore in 1995 (thanks to Art Modell), they had been rebuilding for several years. In typical Cleveland fashion, that team won the Super Bowl ... as the Ravens two years after they left.

The Browns were in the playoffs as a Wildcard as recently as 2002, we beat them but they put up one heck of a fight. that was, without a doubt, the very best Steeler football game I have ever witnessed.

The Bengal thing is just a few kids from Cincy with big mouths and alot of time on their hands, that is a fan thing to get to other division fans. The team has proven absolutely NOTHING and until they do, as clearly stated above, they should shut their mouths and realize the Steelers do their talking on the field, as does any good team. Getting outside our division, you NEVER hear the Patriots bragging about how good they are, that is because the Pats are a classy team without an array of immature, arrogant thugs on their roster.

:tt02: :thumbsup:

Lyn
10-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Most, definitely not all, of us have been fans since way before 1994 and I do believe the Browns have the series advantage 55 wins vs 53 wins.

Welcome all new Steeler fans, it is great to have you aboard!~

:tt02:

SteelersWoman
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Most, definitely not all, of us have been fans since way before 1994 and I do believe the Browns have the series advantage 55 wins vs 53 wins.

Welcome all new Steeler fans, it is great to have you aboard!~

:tt02:

Ahhh, so THAT'S where it came from! I couldn't find any stats showing how many wins/losses to the Browns other than the past 12 yrs, so that explains a lot. It's a VERY close number! Hopefully THIS year we can tie that number up with a pretty bow :wink02:

And thanks Lyn, nice to be here :bouncy:

Rotty3749
10-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Definite on the Browns, Bengals, Oilers and Rats, but I would have to say, maybe this the 90s kid coming out of me, but back when the Jags were in the division with us, those games would get pretty intense and exciting. If they were still in our division I could see them as being just as big of a rivarly as thos i previously stated

DACEB
10-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I live in Ma. so IMO right now until we beat the Pats in a playoff game they are our biggest rival.