PDA

View Full Version : All This Hype About Peyton Manning....

Man_Of_Steel
09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
The NFL and so on hypes him up big time, and what has he really done? The best QB in the leage in the past 5 years or so in my mind is Tom Brady. What has he done? Won 3 Super Bowls. Brady should be the one in all of the commercials, at least he's done something in this league except pass for a bunch of yards. I think Brady could be just as good on Mannings team as he is. They mostly just pass the ball, pass the ball, and pass the ball. Put Manning on any other team and he's not as good.

PisnNapalm
09-29-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't think Brady wants the commercials like Peyton does. Tom has done them but he's always insisted on doing them with his O-line. He's more of a team player if ya ask me.

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Peyton/Brady this decade is like John Unitas/Bart Starr in the 1960s.

Peyton is and Unitas was the perennial All-Pro at QB, but Brady and Starr played with better players and better head coaches. Guess who won the championships?

PisnNapalm
09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Peyton = Dan Marino ??? An excellent quarterback but never seemed to have the right cast around him to get it done.

tony hipchest
09-30-2006, 12:18 AM
put manning on any other team for the past 5 years and 27 teams are immediately better.

put brady on any other team and only the steelers win 3 sb's with him. possibly the eagles win 2.

unfortunately for brady, he doesnt have half the personality of manning and thats not saying much. plus, the longball has always been loved, something brady has always lacked. there is a reason brady will never match the success of a player like terry bradshaw post retirement.

dink and dunk will maybe get you a donut commercial but nothing else. ken norton jr. has 5 rings (the most ever) but how many commercials do you see him in?

Stillers#1
09-30-2006, 12:49 AM
put manning on any other team for the past 5 years and 27 teams are immediately better.

put brady on any other team and only the steelers win 3 sb's with him. possibly the eagles win 2.

unfortunately for brady, he doesnt have half the personality of manning and thats not saying much. plus, the longball has always been loved, something brady has always lacked. there is a reason brady will never match the success of a player like terry bradshaw post retirement.

dink and dunk will maybe get you a donut commercial but nothing else. ken norton jr. has 5 rings (the most ever) but how many commercials do you see him in?

I dont think Brady would do more with the Eagles than Mcnabb has.

boLT fan
09-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I guess pretty much re-writing the record books isn't enough to make some people see him as an elite QB. Go figure.

Juco
09-30-2006, 01:42 PM
You know, no matter how many ways you look at it, it's really hard to dislike Peyton. He is a remarkable QB, and you just have to respect his game. And you got to admit those commercials that he does are really funny!

Juco

stillers4me
09-30-2006, 02:05 PM
I guess pretty much re-writing the record books isn't enough to make some people see him as an elite QB. Go figure.

All those remarkable stats and still no SuperBowl ring...hmmmmmmm.........sounds hauntingly like another well known "elite" QB. I guess stats don't mean a whole hell of a lot do, they? :helmet:

Livinginthe past
09-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Peyton Manning is one of the best regular season QB's ever.

He has a great offensive supporting cast - excellent WR's, used to have a top notch RB and pass catching TE's.

In the post season Peytons favorite targets are opposition DB's.

I certainly dont hate Peyton, but his football persona is that of a spoilt daddies boy who quits when the going gets tough - and then throws his team mates under the bus.

For all I care, he could throw another 49TD's this year - it still wont make him one of the best - I doubt even a Sb win at this point will be enough

NM

hardwork
09-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Peyton Manning is one of the best regular season QB's ever.

NM

Yeah, but of course it's the post season play that counts. Someone else even suggested it was the "post retirement" that was important. Lol, what can you say?

tony hipchest
09-30-2006, 06:43 PM
For all I care, he could throw another 49TD's this year - it still wont make him one of the best - I doubt even a Sb win at this point will be enough

NMlol. would carrying around a manbag and getting manicures help?

tony hipchest
09-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but of course it's the post season play that counts. Someone else even suggested it was the "post retirement" that was important. Lol, what can you say?who said anything about importance? i would like to laugh at them too.

oh, it was YOU! :sofunny: lol

if it makes you feel any better, brady will never mach the success of bradshaw pre retirement either.

but, to get you back on track, this topic is more about the marketability of manning and why brady doesnt have the commercial deals or the player contract that manning does.

(that hometown discount brady took to keep his team intact doesnt look to smart now, does it?)

oh well, if hes lucky and a good boy r. kraft may go out and buy him randy moss for his birthday.

steelcurtain09
09-30-2006, 08:17 PM
manning has a great personality but he needs the ring to get in to the hof as soon as he is elligible
sorta like Bettis. we all know he is goin to go to the hof. if he wins the sb he gets in his first year of eligibility. witout it he might take some time.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
The tide is already going out for Peyton - the Bengals have replaced the Colts as having the most feared and best offense in the AFC, while Marvin Harrison will not be getting any younger.

Peyton is entering the Marino in the early 90s stage of his career, which means it probably is time for the big injury and then coming back as a figure of sympathy tinged with pity for never being able to close the deal in the post-season.

wadester47
09-30-2006, 11:56 PM
WOULD you rather:

A. have a great QB with Superbowl RINGS
B. have a fun loving great QB with funny marketable commercials.

check my meter, if you answer B get off this site.

stillers4me
10-01-2006, 09:07 AM
WOULD you rather:

I pick A!!!!!!!

ding ding ding ding!!!! You are correct! :helmet:

Besides......I've never found the Peyton's commercials to be all that funny.

HometownGal
10-01-2006, 10:23 AM
The NFL and so on hypes him up big time, and what has he really done? The best QB in the leage in the past 5 years or so in my mind is Tom Brady. What has he done? Won 3 Super Bowls. Brady should be the one in all of the commercials, at least he's done something in this league except pass for a bunch of yards. I think Brady could be just as good on Mannings team as he is. They mostly just pass the ball, pass the ball, and pass the ball. Put Manning on any other team and he's not as good.

If you notice, baby boo boo has had a few commercials himself right along there with big bro' Peytoon. Tom Brady doesn't have Papa Bear wheelin' and dealin' as the Mannings do. Brady also doesn't appear to be the type of guy who loves the spotlight - he just goes out there and gives 150% every week and wins football games- that is what he has built his reputation on. He doesn't need all of the glitz and glamour to make a statement - his consistency over the past 6 seasons and 3 SB rings do that well enough for him. Peytoon has had a pretty damned good supporting cast during his tenure in Indy and the Colts have pretty much stayed intact offensively before this season (losing Edge). I believe he is a very good QB, but I refuse to put him in the "great" category. He folds like a beach chair under pressure and chokes in the big game, unlike Brady.

tony hipchest
10-01-2006, 11:39 AM
WOULD you rather:

lets see... if youre a marketing or advertising director do you want:

A. someone who is gonna move product
B. someone who is gonna leave product on the shelf.

if your answer is B youre fired.

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2006, 12:52 PM
lets see... if youre a marketing or advertising director do you want:

A. someone who is gonna move product
B. someone who is gonna leave product on the shelf.

if your answer is B youre fired.

Maybe someone buys Gatorade because Peyton endorses it, but I doubt there is one (1) person who has purchased NFL Sunday Ticket because Peyton and the rest of his clan appear in the ads. You will notice Peyton does not appear in athletic shoe ads, which since the days of Michael Jordan have pitched products where the teenager buying the product actaully cares who endorses the shoe.

IMHO Peyton gets these ads by default - since NBA players are not going to appear in Peyton's types of ads and baseball is a dying sport, if you want a jock in the ad then by default it falls to a QB to get signed up (Peyton/Brady/McNabb & Ben for Chunky Soup/and Michael Vick, the ultimate triumph of hype over achievement), since most NFL players are never seen without their helmets off and nobody in th public knows who they are