PDA

View Full Version : Free Willie Reid - Quit Dressing Five Safeties

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Ed B. of the Post-Gazete provides a good analysis of how to get Willie Reid active on game day - quit dressing five safeties

Finding a spot for Willie Reid on the Steelers' game day roster is not quite like determining whether Pluto is a planet or not. It's rather easy, like Monday's Sudoku puzzle.

Bill Cowher acknowledged that he thought Reid would be his punt returner this summer, and why not? He averaged more than 15 yards a return at Florida State, where he holds all the return records that Deion Sanders once held. Reid also returned 10 of the 14 punts in his first NFL preseason.

But when the Steelers opened the season Sept. 7 against Miami, Reid was not dressed. He has been one of the eight inactive players in each of the first three games. Cowher reiterated the other day that it sometimes is hard to determine the 45 active players on game day as required by NFL rules.

Perhaps, but in this instance, it's quite easy. Cowher dresses five safeties each week. Five! They only play two at a time in their regular defense, three at most in what they call their "quarter" defense. They really need only three safeties then, not five. So, dress four if you must and put Reid on the roster to return punts.

The five safeties are starters Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark. The others are Tyrone Carter, Mike Logan and rookie Anthony Smith. Pick one of them to make inactive and free Willie!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06274/726497-66.stm

After his boneheaded penalty last Sunday, it is hard to argue that sitting Mike Logan will be a devastating loss on the special teams. In order to give Reid a chance to return kicks and send a message that the constant "in your face" antics that result in penalties need to stop now, sitting Logan down for teh Chargers game makes sense to me.

HometownGal
10-01-2006, 08:52 AM
The article makes perfect sense, Dan. Good find. :smile:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Excellent....Logan being benched for the season would make litle difference to the secondary...and may force Cowher to use Smith more!!!...Reid on returns...Smith gets more playing time/Reid starts returning punts....WIN/WIN!!!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Tyrone carter can sit let reid in .
Smith is going to be sharing alot of time at safter by the end of the year

SteelersFreak
10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I say don't bench Logan, Logan is an important part of the team, even though he had that bad taunting call against the Bungles.

Bench Carter.

SteelCityMan786
10-01-2006, 05:24 PM
I say don't bench Logan, Logan is an important part of the team, even though he had that bad taunting call against the Bungles.

Bench Carter.

I think Bill at least should talk to him to make sure he gets it that he can't be doing that. Carter I'm not sure if you bench him. Ricardo is the guy you bench.

SteelCzar76
10-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Bench "Smurfette" (TY),..... that way Anthony can get on the field and you keep Logan on SPT's. Logan's penalty last week was very out of character,... I wouldn't expect to see it again this year.
Actually i can understand all of our penalties,....somebody needs to play with the fire that believes we shouldn't even be in a close game with a greatly overated unit. (Bungal's) There is no competition,....besides ourselves.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

SteelersFreak
10-02-2006, 06:53 AM
I think Bill at least should talk to him to make sure he gets it that he can't be doing that. Carter I'm not sure if you bench him. Ricardo is the guy you bench.

It's hard to bench Rico though because that leaves only 3 corners.

Chidi needs to be resigned immediately.

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2006, 07:33 AM
It's hard to bench Rico though because that leaves only 3 corners.

Chidi needs to be resigned immediately.

I was unaware that Chidi returned punts :)

Haiku_Dirtt
10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
All good points albeit contradictory. I guess that's why Cowher has this dilemma.

I would bet plenty that Logan won't make that mistake again. I'm thinking Carter is the guy I'd sit to get Reid into a uniform.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Reid needs to be in uniform back there returning punts.Sit Carter,he's worthless IMHO.

Hell,if you don' activate Reid,then at least make Santonio Holmes the punt returner.

Personally,I think the NFL should make the entire 53 man roster active.

Hines0wnz
10-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I was unaware that Chidi returned punts :)

He has good hands? :flap:

SteelersWoman
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I would bet plenty that Logan won't make that mistake again....

If Cowher's comments about that after the game are ANYthing to go by (and I'm bettin they are :wink02: ) I agree it will NEVer happen again with Logan--and probably not with any of the other players this year either! lol

But I do think that "most" of the Steelers team are classy guys who wouldn't do that anyway.

I just thank God that we don't have anyone named "Haynesworth" on our team--what an embarrassment! :redface: :shake01:

SteelShooter
10-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree with all of you. Bench Carter or Logan (my vote is Carter).

.................................................. ...........just get Reid onto the filed!!! Please!!!!!

Steelersfan4life0655
10-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I agree with all of you. Bench Carter or Logan (my vote is Carter).

.................................................. ...........just get Reid onto the filed!!! Please!!!!!

I agree, i think we should just get rid of carter anyways. we have way too many safties. Smith will mold into our future free safety anyways. i just think that the coaching staff seems a little confused about what to do with all this talent that is on this team. put reid in there, see if he can get more than 3 yard a return. utilize smith more, in more passing situations. even though its easy for me to say though:thmbup: