PDA

View Full Version : How does falsehood become truth?

Mosca
10-02-2006, 10:46 AM
I read it in this last week's Sports Illustrated... and then I heard it repeated on TV Sunday.

Supposedly, the Bengals played "smashmouth football" head to head with the Steelers, and won.

Now, there's no mistaking, they beat us fair and square. But it wasn't by playing "smashmouth football" head to head with us. It was by being opportunistic, it was by capitalizing on our mistakes, it was by striking swiftly and directly when given the chance. It was by capitalizing on their own style, not by choosing to beat us with ours.

But the smashmouth part? We ran up and down the field on them, we sacked whatsisname 8 times, we forced fumbles and mistakes. We controlled both lines. We didn't play well enough to win, because smashmouth is a style, not a result; you still have to hold & control the ball. If you don't to that against a team like the Bengals, you lose.

So, did these people even watch the game? The Bengals played against the Patriots the same as they did against the Steelers, but the Pats didn't fumble the ball away deep in their own territory. The Pats controlled both sides of the line; they ran all over the Bengals and they pressured whatsisname all day.

People are talking up the Bengals like they're tough guys. They're not. They're really good, and they have the tools to win it, but they aren't smashmouth. Aren't now, and won't be later either. They are going to have trouble with smashmouth teams, too. They won't win many of those games.

Tom

Hines0wnz
10-02-2006, 10:50 AM
SI, brought to you by the same leftist media that brings us Time magazine!

Mosca
10-02-2006, 11:00 AM

Oh; a leftist conspiracy. That makes sense.

Go wrap your head in tin foil, the magnetic waves are affecting your brain again.

Hines0wnz
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Oh; a leftist conspiracy. That makes sense.

Go wrap your head in tin foil, the magnetic waves are affecting your brain again.

Check the publishing companies and save the tin foil for your casserole. :flap:

HometownGal
10-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Good post, Tom. The Bengals victory over the Steelers doesn't even come close to being classified as "smashmouth" football. They couldn't run on us or control the LOS very well and as you so correctly stated, the Bengals took advantage of opportunities gift-wrapped and handed to them to win that football game. Smashmouth football is most definitely a consistent style of play, not a one week game plan.

Mosca
10-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Check the publishing companies and save the tin foil for your casserole. :flap:

So what? What you are proposing is idiotic at its core, that the poliltical leaning of a publishing company affects whether or not beat reporters report the Bengals as playing smashmouth football.

Tom

Hines0wnz
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
So what? What you are proposing is idiotic at its core, that the poliltical leaning of a publishing company affects whether or not beat reporters report the Bengals as playing smashmouth football.

Tom

First of all, lighten up, it was a joke. The point of my jest was that the magazine is all wrong and so wrong that only a leftist idiot would write such an untrue article. So my friend, chill out and take the defensiveness down a couple notches. :cheers:

Mosca
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I guess I expected serious responses. No problem, I didn't get the joke is all, it wasn't what I was expecting.

What happens I think is that the made-up story is better than what really happened. It's more romantic to think that the Bengals are now the new smashmouth kings, when the truth is that they play the game a different way.

They're going to have trouble stopping the run, and they can't run themselves. They win on the talent of 4 or 5 guys; the qb and wrs, and that db who is a real ballhawk.

Tom

Livinginthe past
10-02-2006, 12:41 PM
I honestly think that SI employs sports writers who dont understand the game of football at all.

They have some nice color pictures of your favorite players but the analysis has similar depth to Paris Hiltons personality.

I could list some teams that play smash mouth - Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore - and some that are much closer to the finesse quick strike type - Colts, Rams from a few years back, Cincy.

Its such a fundamental mistake you have to wonder if isn't done on purpose to create controversy - or subliminally encourage recruitment for the dastardly left wing liberal agenda.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I honestly think that SI employs sports writers who dont understand the game of football at all.

They have some nice color pictures of your favorite players but the analysis has similar depth to Paris Hiltons personality.

I could list some teams that play smash mouth - Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore - and some that are much closer to the finesse quick strike type - Colts, Rams from a few years back, Cincy.

Its such a fundamental mistake you have to wonder if isn't done on purpose to create controversy - or subliminally encourage recruitment for the dastardly left wing liberal agenda.

NM

I TRULY believe that when sales are down in certain markets..SI will write a story specifically embellished to tweak the egos and attention of the fans in that area. They also obviously like to jump bandwagons and have traditionally checked "the polls"..to see what story will sell ....

What is sad about this type of journalism is that it skips over true sports in favor of percieved popular sports.

For example...how many people have read a story about Northern Illinois RB Garrett Wolfe ...it wasnt until this week that SI has seen USA Today and other publications talk about the Rb that has been averaging 175 yds a game..and finally decided that enough interest has been raised around the young man to warrant a write up.

Kudos to those publications who find the facts about a story first...and raise our curiosity because of it...not the other way around!!!!

stlrtruck
10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
And if anyone saw ESPN.com the morning after, the headline read, "BELIEVE THE HYPE" and had some bungle on the front page.

I'm guessing that these so called sports writers are just looking at the score and not watching what happens on the field. I'd rather read a book about my job than read any of their idiotic words in print or on tv.

BigBensBikeHelmet
10-02-2006, 01:55 PM

according to Fox News we won the game....

Haiku_Dirtt
10-02-2006, 02:54 PM

Tom

Actually what he is proposing is not so idiotic at its core but rather systemic.

As for the Bengal vs. Steeler matchup...to say the Bengals "beat" the Steelers is dillusional. I wrote this exact retort after the loss last week.

To reiterate I stated that Bengal fan should be very happy with the "win" but feel very uncomfortable with the "victory". Perhaps they didn't understand what I meant until the third quarter of the game against New England.

"Smashmouth?" :toofunny: Rudi Johnson was supposed to have fantasy football geeks dancing in the streets - a very solid 2.5 yards per carry Rudi. The Bengals cannot stop the run either and that is why they should leave their Super Bowl dreams in the pipe.

Mosca
10-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Haiku, I'd read that after the game and was definitely impressed by your take. The "idiotic" isn't important because it was part of a joke that I missed, the response is more a matter of egg on my face!

Some really insightful answers here that I hadn't thought of. Yeah, SI is so much more of a follower than a leader, especially now in the age of instant information and the demand for fresh content daily.

But remember it wasn't just SI that bugged me; it was the way that "the Bengals beat the Steelers at smashmouth football" became part of the canon in less than a week. The Bengals beat the Steelers by playing good quick strike football; it's what they do best, with their personnel. Like HTG reiterated, "smashmouth" is a style, not a one week game plan. And it's not the Bengals' style.

We'll get another chance at them, and I guarantee that if I can see this, the rest of the league can see it, too. Look for adjustments to be made. They beat us, sure; but they have a lot more weaknesses than we do. We're going to win the division this year.

Tom

Stlrs4Life
10-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Good post Mosca, that's for sure, they are far from bieng a smashmouth football team.