PDA

View Full Version : Ward mired in slow start

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 2, 2006

The reigning Super Bowl MVP is looking for his first 100-yard game of the season.
In fact, Hines Ward is still looking to surpass 100 yards for the season.

Ward will take 99 receiving yards on nine receptions into Sunday's game at San Diego, and his lack of production has raised questions ranging from his health to how much opposing teams are trying to take him out of the Steelers' offense.

When asked if Ward is seeing more double coverage this year, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said, "I think so, and he deserves it. He's one of the best receivers in the game. That's why we need to make sure that we as a group, me included, find ways to get the other receivers involved and get open, and I need to make sure I deliver the ball."

The receiving corps has been plagued by untimely drops, and Ward will be the first to admit he has contributed to its inconsistent play.

He has had a hamstring problem since training camp, though Ward said he is close to being 100 percent.

"It's not affecting my play or anything," the four-time Pro Bowler said, "just every now and then I feel it."

Ward also downplayed the extra attention he may be receiving on the field.

"We're all in this together," said Ward, who caught 69 passes for 975 yards and 11 touchdowns in the regular season last year. "Even if they are doubling, I've got to work extra hard to get open and the opportunities I do get, I can't afford to mess up."

19ward86
10-02-2006, 03:17 PM
he is probably the best hands reciever and probably the best strenghth/blocking reciever in the league and 99 yds in 3 games is unexceptable, but so is 0 TDs and 5 INTs by ben.

Hines0wnz
10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Slow start, they'll catch fire soon enough. :smile: