PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
And..........................................the Pens lose.

Instead of booing Jagr every time he touches the puck, the bandwagon should be booing Therrien for throwing Recchi back in the line up. But why do that? GET OVER IT.

SteelCityMan786
11-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Uhhh yeah, BONEHEADED MOVE. It helped out once, I don't see why it wouldn't again.

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Keep taking out those young kids with the will to win and who are actually fighting for something (A JOB!!!) and put in Recchi. Real smart.

Also, I'm tired of hearing about his veteran leadership. It's OBVIOUS who the leader is on this team...........he wears #87. Let's go beyond that though for the hell of it, we have Sykora, Gonchar and Roberts for the "veteran leadership" qualities. The guy has four goals in 47 games.

Kennedy played 15 minutes last game and played a good game. Then you decide to bench the kid and play a used up Mark Recchi? I remember last season when Therrien's motto was "We will go with whatever is working for us". Doesn't seem to be the case this year. This is why I did not want to see us resign Mark Recchi. Because this organization doesn't have the balls to bench him, plus HE'S DONE. The big, red, ****ing blinking light was there at the end of last season.

Andre Savard is knocking on the door. Then again, who's to say he has the stuggots to bench Recchi? We should never have resigned him. Plain and simple.

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
It will be interesting to see if Therrien goes with Colby or Kennedy. I'm starting to believe that Armstrong said something to Therrien in order to piss him off and severely put him in the dog house. I just find it hard to believe Armstrong would open his mouth. He doesn't seem like that type of player, but the longer he sits the more I have to wonder.....

Penguins Talbot to miss week with ankle injury
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins center Maxime Talbot is expected to miss about a week because of a sprained ankle.

Team officials today said Talbot was injured during practice yesterday. Talbot has five goals and four assists in 20 games this season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07324/835392-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Penguins' Crosby leads all-star voting

Penguins' center Sidney Crosby is the runaway leader among Eastern Conference players in all-star balloting announced today.

Crosby has received 94,118 votes, nearly twice as many as the runner-up, Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov (48,134). Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara is third with 45,949.

Ryan Whitney of the Penguins ranks seventh among defensemen with 27,028 votes, while Evgeni Malkin is eighth among forwards with 18,015.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07324/835417-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Penguins' Crosby leads all-star voting

Penguins' center Sidney Crosby is the runaway leader among Eastern Conference players in all-star balloting announced today.

Crosby has received 94,118 votes, nearly twice as many as the runner-up, Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov (48,134). Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara is third with 45,949.

Ryan Whitney of the Penguins ranks seventh among defensemen with 27,028 votes, while Evgeni Malkin is eighth among forwards with 18,015.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07324/835417-100.stm

People might want to get used to this.

pittsburghp8baller
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
ive voted for crosby, malkin, and whitney about 20 times, i have christensen as a write in too

steelpride12
11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Man im not giving up on my penguins baby its too early but i feel its just a matter of time before they break out just please keep recci off the ice!

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2007, 10:13 AM
just please keep recci off the ice!

lol, not going to happen. Now on this team and in this city.

Not that you and I should be surprised, but FWIW............

Therrien was noncommittal about whether Colby Armstrong or Mark Recchi will play right wing on the No. 2 line with Erik Christensen and Evgeni Malkin tonight, and his decision will affect more than the makeup of that particular unit.

If Recchi gets the call, it likely means Sidney Crosby will assume a spot on one of the top two penalty-killing pairings, presumably alongside Ryan Malone.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07325/835665-61.stm

pittsburghp8baller
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
its about time they put christensen with some offensive players maybe now he will start breaking out

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
its about time they put christensen with some offensive players maybe now he will start breaking out

I agree. What worries me is Therrien taking him off that second line if he doesn't get a HT tonight against the Devils. Yet he has no problem keeping Recchi on the second line every night while not producing.

Interesting how that works. But no favorites right coach? :coffee:

pittsburghp8baller
11-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree. What worries me is Therrien taking him off that second line if he doesn't get a HT tonight against the Devils. Yet he has no problem keeping Recchi on the second line every night while not producing.

Interesting how that works. But no favorites right coach? :coffee:

exactly give him a couple of games playing with malkin, he does lead the team in assists right now

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Recchi is out again for the second game straight. Love it. DO NOT CHANGE THESE LINES. Let them play together.

On that note, this Sens vs Pens game is great. A bitter hatred between these two teams. Last years playoffs still fresh. Laraque threw down in the first (won the fight IMO). Ruutu is throwing the body around. We are down 2-0 in the first. Second goal should never have occured. It was a PP goal for the Sens on a bullshit call on Ruutu for diving. Good job refs.

Fleury has been pulled and Sabourin is in net.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
2-2 after one. Malkin keeping his 15 game point streak alive with the goal. Malone scored the second goal.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
3-2 Pens. Tyler Kennedy. NICE. Young kid stepping up. He's hitting everything in site and scoring the go ahead goal.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Blowing PP chances for the second straight night. Had another 5 on 3 for 42 seconds and we couldn't put it away. Last season it was automatic, this year we can't buy a PP goal at this point.

And it's now 3-3 even though Spezza high sticked Adam Hall in the face directly in front of the ref right before scoring the goal. Also, I can't count how many times Sidney Crosby throws the puck in front of the net and there is not a Penguin jersey in site. Has to be frustrating.

Overall though we are playing a good game against a great hockey team.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 09:03 PM
4-3 Sens on the PP goal by Heatley.

That is now 12 PP goals we have given up in the last 7 games.

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2007, 10:02 PM
40 seconds on the pp tied at 5!

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 10:13 PM
If only Ryan Malone could play the way he did tonight every night. I'm not even talking about his two goals and assist. He's moving his feet. Hustling. Showing determination.

Armstrong, Malone and Kennedy played a good game tonight. How you can switch the lines after this game is beyond me. Should be fired if he does.

Shootout time.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 10:22 PM
PENS WIN!!!!

All four lines contributed in way or another tonight. Never called it quits. Played three periods of hockey. That was the Penguin team I remember from last season. If this game doesn't get that team on a roll I'm not sure what will.

My only two complaints.......Fleury and our STs. Fleury = 2 shots - 2 goals. Both were bad goals IMO.

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2007, 12:30 AM
PENS WIN!!!!

All four lines contributed in way or another tonight. Never called it quits. Played three periods of hockey. That was the Penguin team I remember from last season. If this game doesn't get that team on a roll I'm not sure what will.

My only two complaints.......Fleury and our STs. Fleury = 2 shots - 2 goals. Both were bad goals IMO.

Got to love this. Time to Thrash Atlanta!

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Looks like the Ottawa game played a big favor towards us. The Penguins lead 3-0 in the 2nd.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2007, 08:53 PM
4-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant! way to count out the pens if you were one of those stupid enough to do so. not like those of us who are BELIEVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the contiuation of the CARDIAC KIDS ERA!

83-Steelers-43
11-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Keep the lines the way they are and they are fine. Still have weaknesses for sure, but hell, might as well let the young kids play together.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Keep the lines the way they are and they are fine. Still have weaknesses for sure, but hell, might as well let the young kids play together.

Hell yeah, whatever works.

pittsburghp8baller
11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
wat a game! that ott game might of been the wake up fleury needed he played great, defense was awesome and of course anytime u score 5 goals ur O is playing well!

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
What sucks is, no game till Friday.

X-Terminator
11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
So who sits when Max Talbot comes back on Friday? Army or Mr. Kennedy? It'll likely be Kennedy at this point, though it would be tough as both deserve to be in the lineup. Army has looked quite comfortable alongside Sid and Malone the past 2 games, so I vote for him to remain in the lineup (that is, if Therrien doesn't decide to have a brain fart and put Recchi back in the lineup).

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
So who sits when Max Talbot comes back on Friday? Army or Mr. Kennedy? It'll likely be Kennedy at this point, though it would be tough as both deserve to be in the lineup. Army has looked quite comfortable alongside Sid and Malone the past 2 games, so I vote for him to remain in the lineup (that is, if Therrien doesn't decide to have a brain fart and put Recchi back in the lineup).

Healthy scratch Recchi.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2007, 07:32 AM
The fans actually clapped the other night when they heard Recchi was a scratch. Nice to see the bandwagon finally figuring it out.

Personally, I can't believe the guy is going out like this. I guess that two million we are paying him is all that matters. Dignity, pride and what's good for the team are apparently second on the list.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2007, 09:42 AM
The fans actually clapped the other night when they heard Recchi was a scratch. Nice to see the bandwagon finally figuring it out.

Personally, I can't believe the guy is going out like this. I guess that two million we are paying him is all that matters. Dignity, pride and what's good for the team are apparently second on the list.

I expect Recchi though will end up playing a few more in the season. He's not going to get benched all season.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I expect Recchi though will end up playing a few more in the season. He's not going to get benched all season.

Unfortunately I'm sure that will be the case. I will say one thing though, if Therrien throws him in there against Dallas or Phoenix, there will be boo's.

steelpride12
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Wow what great 2 last games the other lines are actually coming alive and contributing in great ways.
Jordan Staal is back baby not only getting a goal but many other chances and he is playing like a mad man.
Im not happy just because we won im happy because the people who have scored woke up!
The pens are back for sure keep the lines like they are we will see you in the playoffs baby great playing and see you friday Dallas!

Go Pens!

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Recchi faces declining ice time
Agent speaks to GM about veteran's future
Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mark Recchi has been a healthy scratch for four of the Penguins' past five games, and there's no indication when -- or even if -- coach Michel Therrien plans to get him back into the lineup.

That has prompted Recchi's agent, Rick Curran, to contact general manager Ray Shero about Recchi's future here.

"It's safe to say I've had some conversations with Ray regarding the current status," Curran said yesterday. "When any player finds himself not playing, you call and find out how things are, what's going on."

Curran would not say whether his discussions with Shero included a trade request.

"The details, I would prefer to leave confidential," he said.

Shero declined an interview request.

Recchi has two goals and six assists in 19 games this season, part of which he spent on the No. 1 line and top power-play unit. Therrien removed him from the lineup for the first time Nov. 15 and has not dressed him for the past three games.

"Those are decisions the coaches make, and Mark's professional enough to be patient," Curran said. "Obviously, he'd rather be playing. For the moment, there's really not much more we can do until we wait and see how things evolve."

Recchi, 39, who broke into the NHL with the Penguins and rejoined them as a free agent in 2005, passed on a chance for unrestricted free agency last summer when he re-signed just over a week before he was to go on the open market.

"He came back to Pittsburgh with the intention of playing and retiring a Penguin," Curran said. "We just have to wait and see what evolves over the next week or so."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07331/837020-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
"It's safe to say I've had some conversations with Ray regarding the current status," Curran said yesterday. "When any player finds himself not playing, you call and find out how things are, what's going on."

You really need to ask why he is not playing? Has this guy been watching the same player I have since late last season?

Since pride is out the window and he won't retire, I'd release him, but God knows that won't happen. Not here.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
In the 4 games Recchi has been HSed, the Pens are 3-1.

I say keep his ass in the press box.

If Ray Shero had any balls at all, he'd put him on waivers or release him outright, because I can't see anybody trading for a washed-up winger with 4 goals in his last 47 games. The team obviously doesn't need him, so why keep him around and risk him poisoning the locker room?

steelpride12
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Sorry Recci loved ya in your younger days but were not getting much production from you anymore and wish you well if you leave sorry bud!

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately I'm sure that will be the case. I will say one thing though, if Therrien throws him in there against Dallas or Phoenix, there will be boo's.

If they put him in the regular rotation in some games such as when one guy just needs a night off, make sure it's against a team they can EASILY blow out of the water. Unfortunately, none of those games exist at this stage.

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
If they put him in the regular rotation in some games such as when one guy just needs a night off, make sure it's against a team they can EASILY blow out of the water. Unfortunately, none of those games exist at this stage.

You should have heard the job Joe Starkey did on Recchi this morning on the radio. They had a Penguins roundtable type discussion and he basically stated that Recchi is no where near the same player he used to be (duh!) and that there is no way he can hang on the top two lines. Basically stating he's a third line winger at best.

This is my fear, when Therrien does put Recchi back in the line up (against a good or bad team), he will be boo'd by the fans. I do not doubt that and I really can't blame the fans. Recchi is putting himself in this situation. This is his doing.

The first game Recchi was benched this season, he was asked to comment and he simply stated "no" and put his head down. Yet when Armstrong was asked how he felt about being benched so a used up Mark Recchi could play he told them, "It's tough," he said. "But as much as it [stinks] to not play, I still have to come to the rink and work hard in practice and do all those little things, and be the same guy I am in the dressing room."....."It's just a matter of time before I get back, get that chance," he said. "I just have to make the most of it."

Who exactly is the more mature leader between the two?

On top of that, we now have Recchi going up to his agent and telling him to talk to Shero. I do not recall Armstrong going up to his agent and telling his agent to bitch to Shero. Again I ask, who is the more mature leader between the two? I have to imagine that did not go over real well with the younger players. What do you think they are thinking? Colby kept his mouth shut the whole time Therrien benched his ass in favor of Mark Recchi and now Colby is watching one of our "veteran leaders" bitching and moaning about being benched. Starkey also feels there is already a divide between the younger and the older guys. I'm sure Recchi is not helping that situation.

The longer and longer this goes on the more turned off I am when it comes to Mark Recchi. It's just a damn shame he's deciding to go out on this note and what's even worse in my opinion is how this situation may be dividing the team.

Did not like the signing to begin with.

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Now I have to ask myself who in the hell would pick up Mark Recchi? It would be beautiful to dump that contract, but who wants him?

Penguins Recchi may seek trade
Thursday, November 29, 2007

There's no question veteran right winger Mark Recchi faces an uncertain future with the Penguins.

What's less clear is whether Recchi's been given permission by the team to investigate possible trades.

A Canadian radio report said Recchi, a healthy scratch for four of the Penguins' past five games, has received such clearance, but neither he nor team officials will confirm that. Or, it's worth noting, deny it.

Earlier this week, Recchi's agent, Rick Curran, acknowledged that he has discussed Recchi's future with general manager Ray Shero, but declined to say whether he has requested a trade.

Recchi, who makes his permanent residence here, was noncommittal when asked today if he believes something can be worked out that would make it possible for him to play out the balance of his one-year contract here.

"I'm not really sure," Recchi said. "We're kind of fighting an uphill battle here right now. I don't know where I fit in here."

The Penguins will play Dallas tomorrow at 7:38 p.m. at Mellon Arena.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07333/837828-100.stm

Pittsburgh Sports Insider has an update on the Penguins potential trade of Mark Recchi.

Pierre Maguire was on the TEAM1040 this morning (Wednesday)in Vancouver and he was talking about the Recchi situation. Him and Recchi were texting each other last night before the Canucks/Ducks game and Maguire says that Recchi will likely be traded by Friday. Pittsburgh apparently wants to hand over the reigns of the team to the younger players and they feel that with the presence of such veterans as Recchi, Roberts and Sydor, its hard for those younger players to be that voice in the dressing room. I don’t know what that means for Roberts or Sydor, but so far only Recchi has been told to call up other clubs and work out a trade for himself.

Courtesy: www.spectorshockey.net

http://www.pittsburghsportsinsider.com/?p=1693

SteelCityMan786
11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
You should have heard the job Joe Starkey did on Recchi this morning on the radio. They had a Penguins roundtable type discussion and he basically stated that Recchi is no where near the same player he used to be (duh!) and that there is no way he can hang on the top two lines. Basically stating he's a third line winger at best.

This is my fear, when Therrien does put Recchi back in the line up (against a good or bad team), he will be boo'd by the fans. I do not doubt that and I really can't blame the fans. Recchi is putting himself in this situation. This is his doing.

The first game Recchi was benched this season, he was asked to comment and he simply stated "no" and put his head down. Yet when Armstrong was asked how he felt about being benched so a used up Mark Recchi could play he told them, "It's tough," he said. "But as much as it [stinks] to not play, I still have to come to the rink and work hard in practice and do all those little things, and be the same guy I am in the dressing room."....."It's just a matter of time before I get back, get that chance," he said. "I just have to make the most of it."

Who exactly is the more mature leader between the two?

On top of that, we now have Recchi going up to his agent and telling him to talk to Shero. I do not recall Armstrong going up to his agent and telling his agent to bitch to Shero. Again I ask, who is the more mature leader between the two? I have to imagine that did not go over real well with the younger players. What do you think they are thinking? Colby kept his mouth shut the whole time Therrien benched his ass in favor of Mark Recchi and now Colby is watching one of our "veteran leaders" bitching and moaning about being benched. Starkey also feels there is already a divide between the younger and the older guys. I'm sure Recchi is not helping that situation.

The longer and longer this goes on the more turned off I am when it comes to Mark Recchi. It's just a damn shame he's deciding to go out on this note and what's even worse in my opinion is how this situation may be dividing the team.

Did not like the signing to begin with.

More like 4th wing if he's worth playing. Heck, he may need time at WBS.

I have no doubts of that happening.

Well Said by Colby. He's acting more like the leader.

My guess is if the Pens live up to their expectations set down by some as they are now, is that he wants to play his last season as a Penguin winning a SC.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
More like 4th wing if he's worth playing. Heck, he may need time at WBS.

I have no doubts of that happening.

Well Said by Colby. He's acting more like the leader.

My guess is if the Pens live up to their expectations set down by some as they are now, is that he wants to play his last season as a Penguin winning a SC.

I'm not seeing him on a fourth line. He's slow and he can't hit. He never really was a physical player in his prime. WBS is not an option.

Fwiw, the trade rumor I heard last night on the Nightly Sports Call (Smizik and Cook) was that the Columbus Blue Jackets maye be interested in Recchi. Who knows?

X-Terminator
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Recchi to CBJ makes sense since he played under Hitchc0ck in Philadelphia and they have a veteran team where he would be more likely to fit in. I advocated the Sydor and Roberts signings because I felt the team lacked a veteran presence, but maybe they can get that from Sykora and Gonchar since they are closer to the age of the core than the other three are and not as likely to cause a problem when Sid or one of the other young players steps up and tries to be a leader. We'll see, but I'd love to see Recchi out of a Pens uniform.

steelpride12
11-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Man the Pens are back baby is end of the first period against dallas the Pens up 2-0 looking strong!

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
2-1 and left em WIDE open.

steelpride12
11-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Ha end of second and now 3-1 Crosby looking for a hat trick tonight!

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Come on now, finish the stars.

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Solid win. 4-1 great night all around. Who said we had a little rust???

steelpride12
11-30-2007, 10:06 PM
hahah excellent win 4-1! 2 by Crosby 1 by the young Tyler kennedy thats his third of the year which is impressive and also the finisher by Malkin!

Can you say the Pens are back in full force ready to get back into playoff contention great win!
Cya tom. Toronto!

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2007, 10:42 PM
hahah excellent win 4-1! 2 by Crosby 1 by the young Tyler kennedy thats his third of the year which is impressive and also the finisher by Malkin!

Can you say the Pens are back in full force ready to get back into playoff contention great win!
Cya tom. Toronto!

They're getting there. Still got some work to do.

HometownGal
12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Excellent game by the Pens and especially our young guns. :thumbsup: Nice performance by Fleury, too - he seems to be getting his confidence back.

Anyone watch Laraque kick Barch's ass? LMAO! :toofunny: Gotta love Georges!

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Excellent game by the Pens and especially our young guns. :thumbsup: Nice performance by Fleury, too - he seems to be getting his confidence back.

Mr. Barch I have a question for you.

CAN YOU SMELL WHAT LARAQUE IS COOKIN!

pittsburghp8baller
12-01-2007, 09:28 PM

funny story i had to work during the game so i set my tv to start recording on fox sports pittsburgh when the game starts but since i have direct tv it didnt show on fox sport pittsburgh but it showed on the dallas station. so i have 3 and a half hours of blank tv i come home one of my friends says laraque got in a fight im looking forward to it and bam nothing.

steelpride12
12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Ugh one reason why we lost to the leafs.
We came out slow they came out hitting and much stronger than us.
They were more physical and proved that last night!

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Great win last night for the Penguins. got to love it. Time to scare and beat western canada!

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_541129.html

Report: Pens waive Recchi
By Keith Barnes
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Mark Recchi may no longer be a member of the Penguins.

TSN Canada has reported today that the Penguins placed the 39-year-old right wing on waivers, all but officially ending his career in Pittsburgh after three stints with the team. His possible release comes less than 18 hours after the team recognized his 500th career goal with a bobblehead promotional giveaway for fans attending the team's 3-1 victory over Phoenix on Monday.

Recchi is among the top scorers in Penguins history with 154 goals and 385 points in three stints with the Penguins, but has only two goals and eight points this season and has been a healthy scratch in seven of the last eight games.

In 1,357 games with the Penguins, Montreal, Philadelphia and Carolina, he has 510 goals, 831 assists and 1,341 points.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/839064-61.stm

Penguins place Recchi on waivers
Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Mark Recchi's career with the Penguins might be over.

The team placed Recchi, a healthy scratch for the past six games and seven of the past eight, on waivers today.

He can be claimed by any of the NHL's other 29 teams until noon tomorrow. If more than one team submits a claim, Recchi's rights will be awarded to the club with the worst record.

Neither Recchi nor his agent, Rick Curran, could immediately be reached for comment. Penguins officials were en route to Edmonton, where the team will open a four-game road trip tomorrow, and could not be contacted.

Recchi, a forward, has two goals and six assists in 19 appearances this season. He signed a one-year contract, with a base salary of $1.75 million, in June.

If he is not claimed, the Penguins can assign him to their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre or keep him on their 23-man roster.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Looks like Recchi is going to get the boot. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

steelpride12
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Recci is going its about time. He has not shown his leadership at all this year, but good luck wherever you may end up.
Great solid win against Phoenix with the young guns stepping up to prove were not a one line wonder great win!

pittsburghp8baller
12-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Mark Recchi cleared waivers Wednesday.

“No decisions have been made as of yet,” Penguins General Manager Ray Shero said. “We’ll digest [Mark] not being picked up on waivers and so will he and we’ll address it later tonight or tomorrow.

“He’s still on our roster. We’ll talk to Mark and Rick Curran his agent and work this out the best we can.”

pittsburghp8baller
12-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Penguins Assign Recchi To WBS
Pittsburgh Penguins
Dec 6, 2007, 2:23 PM EST

The Pittsburgh Penguins have assigned right winger Mark Recchi to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced Thursday by Penguins Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

steelpride12
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Beautiful comeback against the Oilers last night 4-2. The Pens are finally looking like last years team with all lines contributing and scoring goals.
The Pens play the Flames tonight 9:00 ET WATCH IT!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
12-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Impressive win over the Flames 3-2 in the Shootout with goals from Malkin(PPG), Malone with a beautiful short handed goal on a break away, and finally the game winner in the shootout goes to.........LETANG!!!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Those Cardiac Kids STRUCK AGAIN!

Fire Haley
12-07-2007, 09:33 PM
2007-08 Atlantic Division Standings

TEAM W L OTL PTS
Philadelphia 15 9 2 32
New Jersey 15 10 2 32
NY Rangers 15 11 2 32
Pittsburgh 14 12 2 30
NY Islanders 13 11 2 28

tick...tick...tick...

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2007, 09:38 PM
2007-08 Atlantic Division Standings

TEAM W L OTL PTS
Philadelphia 15 9 2 32
New Jersey 15 10 2 32
NY Rangers 15 11 2 32
Pittsburgh 14 12 2 30
NY Islanders 13 11 2 28

tick...tick...tick...

Hmmmmm, now we are out of the cellar. TIme to keep the climb back to the top going.

steelpride12
12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Hmmmmm, now we are out of the cellar. TIme to keep the climb back to the top going.

Yes and a win tonight against the hot Vancouver would be HUGE!

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2007, 11:53 PM
1-0. Looking good.

Pittsburghfan
12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Sabourin(Sabu) Is looking very Solid tonight.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Sabourin(Sabu) Is looking very Solid tonight.

He replaced Conklin. I wonder why that was done.

pittsburghp8baller
12-09-2007, 01:10 AM
wat game the last five minutes and overtime was some of the best hockey ive ever watched. we need to start to put letang as our regular three shoutout! great game by sabourin played really well.

any1 know how long fleury could be out?

Petesburgh66
12-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Recchi is off to Atlanta

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224712&hubname=nhl

And Don Cheery's was sour on Hockey NIght In Canada (HNIC) towards the Pens in regards to the way they dealt with putting Recchi on waivers. Sorry, Don, dead weight is dead weight.

Also on HNIC, Scott Morrison mentioned that the Pens are looking for another skilled player to add and to play along with Crosby by the trade dead line.

Conklin? The Pens have this piece of junk? .

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Letang plays here TWICE on the WC road swing.

steelpride12
12-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Letang plays here TWICE on the WC road swing.

Wow Letang is proving himself a great defensemen and a wonderful Shootout start, plus the pens are on a roll with a 4 game win streak keep it up!!

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_541924.html
Penguins edge Canucks in shootout
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 9, 2007

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- This time Kris Letang was scared.

Letang, a rookie defenseman, beat goaltender Roberto Luongo in the sixth round of a shootout to lift the Penguins past the Vancouver Canucks, 2-1, at General Motors Place on Saturday.

It was Letang's second shootout-clinching goal in three nights. He scored in the fifth round to defeat the Flames in Calgary on Thursday.

After that game, coach Michel Therrien said he chose Letang because "the kid has no fear."

Not true.

"I was scared that maybe Luongo saw what I did the other night," Letang said. "I know him a little bit from skating with him in the summer, and I know he studies a lot.

"I was scared maybe he thought I would try to same move."

Letang beat the Flames by besting goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff with a backhand. He stunned a sellout crowd in Vancouver with a goal from his forehand.

"There is no doubt he has the skill to do it," coach Michel Therrien said. "I know he is capable of scoring those goals."

Forward Erik Christensen also scored in the shootout, which the Penguins won, 2-1.

The Penguins swept three games in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver during the same season for the first time.

"(People) said not many teams can do it," defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "We're playing great right now."

Whitney, who once coined the phrase "liabetic" in reference to captain Sidney Crosby, was guilty of that charge last night.

The Penguins have won seven of eight since starting the season 8-11-2. They are 15-12-2 with 32 points and have won three straight to open this four-game road trip.

Crosby was held without a point for the second consecutive game. He was also stopped twice by Luongo with the result on the line -- epic mano-e-mano showdowns between two of the three finalist for the Hart Trophy last season.

Crosby won that battle, but not last night.

Luongo kept Crosby from winning the game halfway through overtime, stopping him on a penalty shot. Luongo also stoned Crosby in the third round of the shootout.

Right wing Petr Sykora capped a nice give-and-go with center Evgeni Malkin at 18:19 of the opening period to give the Penguins a 1-0 lead. He beat Luongo with a wrist shot for his 10th goal.

Vancouver pulled even at 1-1 with center Ryan Kessler's eighth goal early in the third.

Before that, goaltender Dany Sabourin entertained dreams of earning a second career shutout against his former team.

Sabourin appeared in nine games with Vancouver last season. He started his ninth game for the Penguins last night, and was beyond impressive.

He turned aside 35 of 36 shots for his sixth victory, triple his career win total coming into the season.

"Maybe a shutout would have been better," Sabourin said. "But that was a great game. It was awesome."

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
I guess we have one highlight to take out from this weekend.

steelpride12
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I guess we have one highlight to take out from this weekend.

HAHA agreed!

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2007, 10:47 PM
HAHA agreed!

God Bless Kris Letang :sofunny:

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
God Bless Kris Letang :sofunny:

oh hell ya! this kid is awesome!

big game 2nite we r tied with philly right now. could move into third in the division and 6th into the conference

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Time to lay a beat down on the flyers.

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm quick response. Once down 2-0, they tied it at 2.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
good game so far. like all philly-pens games things r getting a little pushy shovey, which makes it even better to watch

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
things have quickly gone south

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm hurling over it to.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM
poor youngin eager getting beatin down by a 41 year old

and once laraque gets out of the box eager is prob goin to get it handed to him again!

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Damn it Fleury's Ankle.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Damn it Fleury's Ankle.

never thought ud be missing fleury that much huh?

this is embarissing

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Crosby Increases All-Star Voting Lead Joe Sager | pittsburghpenguins.com Dec 11, 2007, 1:14 PM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby continues to lead all Eastern Conference vote-getters in the XM / NHL All-Star Fan Balloting, Presented by 2K Sports.

With 326,131 votes, the Penguins star holds a significant lead over Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov, who has 216,102 votes. More than 7.9 million votes have been cast in the all-digital voting program.

The voting will determine the starting lineups for the 2008 NHL All-Star Game, which will be played on Sunday, Jan. 27 in Atlanta at 6 p.m. Fans can vote for six Eastern

Conference All-Stars and six Western Conference All-Stars: three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender for each team. If a player is not listed on the ballot, a space is provided for write-in votes. The three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender from each Conference receiving the most votes will comprise the starting lineups. Each of the 30 NHL Clubs has at least two representatives on the ballot.

Crosby, Ottawa Senators right wing Daniel Alfredsson (143,819) and Tampa Bay Lightning center Vincent Lecavalier (142,674) are the top vote-getters among forwards in the Eastern Conference. Markov and Zdeno Chara (165,014) of the Boston Bruins are the leading defensemen in votes. Canadiens goaltender Cristobal Huet leads all netminders in the East in votes with 122,228 votes.

XM / NHL All-Star Fan Balloting, Presented by 2K Sports

Eastern Conference

(as of Dec. 10)

Forwards

Player NHL Club Votes

Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh 326,131

Daniel Alfredsson Ottawa 143,819

Vincent Lecavalier Tampa Bay 142,674

Daniel Briere Philadelphia 121,860

Ilya Kovalchuk Atlanta 106,736

Alex Ovechkin Washington 106,121

Saku Koivu Montreal 84,215

Dany Heatley Ottawa 82,620

Maxim Afinogenov Buffalo 66,887

Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh 56,112

Chris Drury NY Rangers 55,496

*Alex Kovalev Montreal 51,147

Mats Sundin Toronto 49,941

Jaromir Jagr NY Rangers 47,568

Jason Blake Toronto 45,014

Simon Gagne Philadelphia 42,005

Jason Spezza Ottawa 37,329

*Mike Richards Philadelphia 36,286

Marian Hossa Atlanta 36,138

Thomas Vanek Buffalo 35,576

Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay 28,917

Patrik Elias New Jersey 28,509

Brendan Shanahan NY Rangers 26,075

Eric Staal Carolina 24,108

Vyacheslav Kozlov Atlanta 22,838

Marc Savard Boston 17,623

Bill Guerin NY Islanders 17,187

Olli Jokinen Florida 15,819

Scott Gomez NY Rangers 15,299

Justin Williams Carolina 14,526

Brian Gionta New Jersey 11,514

Brad Richards Tampa Bay 9,227

Defensemen

Andrei Markov Montreal 216,102

Zdeno Chara Boston 165,014

Brian Campbell Buffalo 125,849

Tomas Kaberle Toronto 121,814

Kimmo Timonen Philadelphia 100,204

Wade Redden Ottawa 95,056

Ryan Whitney Pittsburgh 89,665

Jay Bouwmeester Florida 85,849

Bryan McCabe Toronto 67,848

Dan Boyle Tampa Bay 66,756

Chris Phillips Ottawa 66,601

Henrik Tallinder Buffalo 54,204

Goaltenders

Cristobal Huet Montreal 122,228

Martin Brodeur New Jersey 120,537

Henrik Lundqvist NY Rangers 113,484

Martin Biron Philadelphia 83,027

Ryan Miller Buffalo 53,787

Rick DiPietro NY Islanders 36,390

Ray Emery Ottawa 34,481

Cam Ward Carolina 30,104

Olaf Kolzig Washington 20,439

Tomas Vokoun Florida 16,615

*write-in candidate

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
u kno whose missing? gonchar isnt even on the ballot! last time i saw he was leading all defenseman in scoring, hes still gotta be in the top 5

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
u kno whose missing? gonchar isnt even on the ballot! last time i saw he was leading all defenseman in scoring, hes still gotta be in the top 5

I wrote him in.

Game misconducts are going to go out soon if this keeps up.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I wrote him in.

Game misconducts are going to go out soon if this keeps up.

gotta love pens-philly games. jus keep laraque out there flyers seem to keep their tail between their legs and back away

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Whitney and Carter got game misconducts. So those of you going Thursday, Whitney is going to be out serving a 1 game suspension.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Whitney and Carter got game misconducts. So those of you going Thursday, Whitney is going to be out serving a 1 game suspension.

5:30 mins left doubt that will be the last

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
pirates need to sign laraque what a slide into biron! future 30-30 guy! hes doin wat he gets paid for biron started something with crosby and laraque is finishing it

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
5:30 mins left doubt that will be the last

Yeah and I don't how the Penguins are getting this many penalties. Probably over 75% of these have to be Phantom Calls.

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Jaarko got a game misconduct.

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
WOW. What a classless bunch of asshats the Flyers and their fans are - even their organist!!! :jawdrop:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07346/840983-61.stm

Flyers clobber Penguins' streak, 8-2

Therrien accuses Philadelphia coach of padding score; two hat tricks end 4-game win streak

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

H. Rumph, Jr./Associated Press

Penguins goalie Dany Sabourin is unable to stop a shot by the Flyers' Joffrey Lupul for a first-period goal Tuesday night in Philadelphia. Lupul earned a hat trick by scoring two more goals against the Penguins.PHILADELPHIA -- The game was over, but -- those 156 minutes' worth of penalties that had been assessed over the course of the evening aside -- the hostilities were just beginning.

First, Philadelphia coach John Stevens accused the Penguins of being totally undisciplined after they received 81 penalty minutes in the third period of the Flyers' 8-2 victory at the Wachovia Center last night.

When his Penguins counterpart, Michel Therrien, was informed of Stevens' charge, he launched a caustic retort, pointing out that the Flyers had dispatched their No. 1 power play while holding a five-goal lead in the third period.

And when Therrien's postgame session with reporters ended, Flyers knuckle-dragger Ben Eager (0 points, 60 penalty minutes), whom Therrien passed in a corridor outside the Penguins' locker room, said to him, "You're a joke."

Therrien offered a two-word comeback, only the second half of which -- "you" -- is suitable for public consumption.

Consider the rivalry re-ignited. Not that it had been particularly dormant before last evening.

"Everyone knows there's one here," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "But it seems like it's escalated each game."

The antics during and after the game largely overshadowed hat tricks by Flyers forwards R.J. Umberger and Joffrey Lupul, the first time two Philadelphia players scored three goals each in a game since 1985.

The loss cost the Penguins a shot at just the second 4-0 road trip in franchise history and ended their four-game winning streak. And while it was one of their most lopsided losses in a while, they weren't making an issue of the margin of defeat.

"We had a good road trip," said defenseman Ryan Whitney, who was involved in his first NHL fight. "Obviously, it didn't end the way we wanted it to."

The Flyers scored on three of 13 power-play chances, and spent much of the final period with the extra man. That led to Stevens' comments and the broadside Therrien fired back.

"Are we talking about the same team that has had five guys suspended this year?" Therrien said. "Is that the same team? It's a lack of respect, what [Stevens] did tonight.

"At 7-2, you don't send your best power play on the ice. Even [Flyers center] Daniel Briere didn't want to go on the ice. It's a lack of respect. ... You never put yourself in a position to show a lack of respect for the other team. This is exactly what he did tonight."

Asked if he thought Stevens tried to humiliate the Penguins, Therrien said, "Big time."

The game did not attract a capacity crowd -- quite a few rows near the top of the arena were empty -- but there was enough of a crowd to launch several vulgar chants at Crosby during the third period, at least one with the musical accompaniment of the Wachovia Center organist.

Penguins left winger Ryan Malone and Philadelphia defenseman Jason Smith ratcheted up the emotion with a spirited exchange of punches 20 seconds after the opening faceoff, and Lupul, who had gone 11 games without a goal, made it 1-0 at 1:11 and struck again at 3:44.

The Penguins countered with power-play goals by Whitney (12:39) and Petr Sykora (14:28) and were even at the intermission.

"We didn't even play our best and we were tied, so we were feeling good," Whitney said.

That changed quickly, though, as Philadelphia took control of the game with two goals by Umberger during a two-minute span in the second period. Philadelphia's Mike Knuble then eliminated any uncertainty about the outcome when he knocked a rebound behind Penguins goaltender Dany Sabourin during a power play with 9.9 seconds left in the period.

Ty Conklin, recalled from the Penguins' minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre after goalie Marc-Andre Fleury injured an ankle Thursday in Calgary, replaced Sabourin for the third period and gave up goals to Lupul, Braydon Coburn and Umberger to close out the scoring.

"You have to scratch the second half of the game," Crosby said. "It was just a mess."

One the Penguins can't dwell on, with Ottawa coming to Mellon Arena at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow.

"The next time we play [Philadelphia], it will be fresh in our minds," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "But the most important thing for the team is to erase it from our minds as quickly as possible. Don't let it carry over to Thursday."

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2007, 04:24 PM
What idiots them Philly folk are.

steelpride12
12-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow just an overall poor performance by the Pens, but the $hit at the end the flyers did is so typical there fans and whole team can go to hell!

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow just an overall poor performance by the Pens, but the $hit at the end the flyers did is so typical there fans and whole team can go to hell!

One more reason why...................

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN FOR PHILLY!

HometownGal
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I can't wait for the next Pens/Flyers game in the Burgh! :banana:

I'm sure Eager is hiding in the locker room loo today after having his a$$ kicked by 41 year old Gary Roberts. :toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I can't wait for the next Pens/Flyers game in the Burgh! :banana:

I'm sure Eager is hiding in the locker room loo today after having his a$$ kicked by 41 year old Gary Roberts. :toofunny:

That game isn't till Feb. 10

SteelCityMan786
12-13-2007, 09:59 PM
One bad night, gets backed up by a downfall.

steelpride12
12-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Well what can i say about tonight game against Ottawa, but good game pens Sid has 9 shots 2 breakaways and young Tyler Kennedy had a great game with a goal, but there goalie shut us out.

If they Pens play like this all year at home they will win alot of games great effort should have went our way, but a shut out performance by Gerber!

SteelCityMan786
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Well what can i say about tonight game against Ottawa, but good game pens Sid has 9 shots 2 breakaways and young Tyler Kennedy had a great game with a goal, but there goalie shut us out.

If they Pens play like this all year at home they will win alot of games great effort should have went our way, but a shut out performance by Gerber!

have to nail the puck back in the net and the defense can NOT AFFORD major letdowns. That's what happend after goal 2.

steelpride12
12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
have to nail the puck back in the net and the defense can NOT AFFORD major letdowns. That's what happend after goal 2.

Agreed, the stupid penalties were killing us and the refs also were not making calls our way ans just not a good game its frustrating!

SteelCityMan786
12-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Time to put that game behind us and prep for the Isles.

steelpride12
12-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Time to put that game behind us and prep for the Isles.

I agree there a very beatable team and if we play like we did against the sens easy win is for sure!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
meltdown. Went from tied at 2, to tied at 2.

X-Terminator
12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Nice cheapshot on Ruutu by Chris Simon. That would be the same Chris Simon who was suspended 25 games for nearly decapitating the Rangers' Ryan Hollweg at the end of last season. It's obvious that this guy can't control himself, and how he still holds on to an NHL job is beyond me. He's going to get yet another lengthy and well-deserved suspension, because the league comes down harder on repeat offenders than first-timers.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here's the incident:

YiMwXcwY3VE

SteelCityMan786
12-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I think he's getting the rest of the season(INCLUDING THE PLAYOFFS) and whatever he's still owed this year in game checks as a fine.

steelpride12
12-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Well i hope he burns in hell for his mistakes, but hey we got the win with the young gun Tyler Kennedy really showing up big and proving he is a regular liner for Pens for many years now.
Plus Letang is playing pretty amazing at defense i love his ability to play some offense and get back to play solid D too this kid is a weapon watch out!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
12-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I DON'T BUY A DAMN WORD.
(Islanders web page and their take on the Simon Hit)
From Charles Wang:

"The actions of Chris Simon on Saturday do not reflect what the New York Islanders stand for. They were reckless, potentially dangerous and against our team concept of grit, character and heart.

"We know Chris as a respected teammate and as a gracious man away from the playing surface and believe strongly that he has earned our continued support. The Islanders are going to provide some time for Chris away from the team and give him the counseling he needs and the compassion he deserves. When Chris is completely ready, he will be a member of our team again."

From Chris Simon:

"I want to start off by making clear that there is no excuse for my actions on Saturday night and I apologize to everyone involved.

"The Islanders and I agree that the right thing to do is for me to take some time away from the team. I have enjoyed a long career achieving my dream of being a player in the National Hockey League and I’m proud of my accomplishments. But I acknowledge that time and assistance is needed before I return to the game.

"I want to thank the Islanders for providing the environment for me to become a better player and person, and our fans for their support along the way."

SteelCityMan786
12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Wow, how bad can you start in 1:12? 1-0 for the Pens DOWN.

steelpride12
12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Wow all i can say about our 4-0 loss is pathetic.
Thats where i miss Fluery the most and it showed our lack of heart in the game where we half-assed it all game and the rangers brought it.
Bad news Ryan Malones so called illness is mad with a possible infection on a cut on his leg(MRSA), and we all still know Fluery and Talbot are out for more weeks to come.
Wish them luck tho im going to the game on Friday the 21st against the islanders! :)

SteelCityMan786
12-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Wow all i can say about our 4-0 loss is pathetic.
Thats where i miss Fluery the most and it showed our lack of heart in the game where we half-assed it all game and the rangers brought it.
Bad news Ryan Malones so called illness is mad with a possible infection on a cut on his leg(MRSA), and we all still know Fluery and Talbot are out for more weeks to come.
Wish them luck tho im going to the game on Friday the 21st against the islanders! :)

Be loud!

83-Steelers-43
12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm starting to wonder about Therrien. Tonight he is starting Sydor (who has been horrible IMO) and benching Orpik who is visiting his hometown. I don't get it.

As for Sabourin, IMO he's better off coming off the bench and replacing Fleury than he is starting. In his defense, he doesn't exactly have the greatest defense playing in front of him. Eaton has been our best defenseman up to this point. One aspect he has going for him over Fleury is that he has rebound control for the most part.

Conklin getting the nod tonight in net for the Pens and Taffe called up. Also, how Chris Simon is still in the NHL I will never know. I guess we have to wait until he seriously injures somebody before the NHL decides to make a stand.

Go Panthers! Go Steelers! Go Penguins!

SteelCityMan786
12-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm starting to wonder about Therrien. Tonight he is starting Sydor (who has been horrible IMO) and benching Orpik who is visiting his hometown. I don't get it.

As for Sabourin, IMO he's better off coming off the bench and replacing Fleury than he is starting. In his defense, he doesn't exactly have the greatest defense playing in front of him. Eaton has been our best defenseman up to this point. One aspect he has going for him over Fleury is that he has rebound control for the most part.

Conklin getting the nod tonight in net for the Pens and Taffe called up. Also, how Chris Simon is still in the NHL I will never know. I guess we have to wait until he seriously injures somebody before the NHL decides to make a stand.

Go Panthers! Go Steelers! Go Penguins!

Welcome back partner in crime. Good to see you again!

That's another move I don't understand either. I haven't heard much of Sydor in the past month. That usually tells me he's not doing great.

Hopefully, we get a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMENT

Simon should have gotten the hook for good.

83-Steelers-43
12-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome back partner in crime. Good to see you again!

That's another move I don't understand either. I haven't heard much of Sydor in the past month. That usually tells me he's not doing great.

Hopefully, we get a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMENT

Simon should have gotten the hook for good.

Thanks SCM. Much appreciated. Hope all is well with you and your family during this holiday season. :smile:

Good game up to this point. 3-0 Pens. Malkin has two here, be nice to see him get his first NHL HT. Hopefully we continue to play the way we are playing in this first for the remaining two periods.

SteelCityMan786
12-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks SCM. Much appreciated. Hope all is well with you and your family during this holiday season. :smile:

Good game up to this point. 3-0 Pens. Malkin has two here, be nice to see him get his first NHL HT. Hopefully we continue to play the way we are playing in this first for the remaining two periods.

No problem. And everything is. It didn't feel right not seeing you man.

Malkin, making everyone his bitch in the NHL.

pittsburghp8baller
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
not exactly the way the pens wanted to win the game but its 2 points. christensen and letang are automatic on shootouts its not even fair now. and look at crosby getting the gordie howe hattrick! amazing held his own could argue he won!

steelpride12
12-20-2007, 11:23 PM
not exactly the way the pens wanted to win the game but its 2 points. christensen and letang are automatic on shootouts its not even fair now. and look at crosby getting the gordie howe hattrick! amazing held his own could argue he won!

Im not complaining!
But hey wish me luck im going to tom. nights game the 21st against the islanders! :tt02:
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
12-20-2007, 11:30 PM
mRTF9F31ezY

Crosby's First Fight.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_543844.html

Penguins recover, trip up Bruins in shootout
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 21, 2007

BOSTON - An awakening gave way to a comeback that nearly crushed the Penguins.

But as coach Michel Therrien accurately pointed out, two points are two points no matter the manner in which they are earned.

The Penguins followed Tuesday's lumbering shutout loss against the New York Rangers with a whirlwind 5-4 shootout victory Thursday against the Boston Bruins at TD Banknorth Garden.

"We were here to get two points and we got the two points," Therrien said after his team allowed a four-goal lead to evaporate over the final 27 minutes of regulation.

The win was a mix of the wild and the nearly wasted.

The wild: Captain Sidney Crosby was a fighter and Colby Armstrong a playmaker.

But the Penguins nearly wasted those unusual contributions. They allowed the Bruins to slowly chip away at their 4-0 lead and tie the score with just over three minutes remaining on a power-play goal by defenseman Dennis Wideman.

The Penguins recovered and forced a shootout, which they won 2-0 on goals by forward Erik Christensen and rookie defenseman Kris Letang, and two key saves from goaltender Ty Conklin.

"I do not know if we had the two points won, but it certainly felt good to get them back," Conklin said.

Conklin stopped a career-high 37 shots in his first start with the Penguins.

The victory stamped a trying stretch of road games for the Penguins. They started this month with eight of 10 away from Mellon Arena, and went 5-3-0.

The Penguins, 17-15-2, will close December with four consecutive games at Mellon Arena, starting tonight against the New York Islanders.

"(Earning 10 of 16 points) is pretty solid for the length that we were on the road," Crosby said. "It can grind on you a bit and especially with the holidays coming, your mind can wander."

Ahead by four on two goals from Evgeni Malkin and one each by Crosby and Christensen, the Penguins' wandering minds nearly resulted in an epic collapse.

The Bruins struck twice late in the second on goals by left wings Marco Sturm and P.J. Axelsson. They pulled within 4-3 at 13:14 of the third period on center Petteri Nokelainen's goal.

Boston out-shot the Penguins in the third period, 17-4.

"They turned it up a notch, and we kind of were not ready for it," Christensen said. "It felt like we could not really do much about it. We tried to hold on and just keep the pace of the game."

The Penguins jumped on Boston early, seemingly intent to put behind them a woeful effort in a 4-0 loss to the Rangers in New York two days prior.

The Penguins registered only five shots through the opening 40 minutes of that game, but started last night with 14 shots in the opening period against Boston goaltender Tim Thomas.

Malkin's 12th and 13th goals sandwiched Crosby's 16th in the first period, and Christensen tallied his fourth, and only his second in 18 games, at 11:26 of the second.

Armstrong assisted on all but Malkin's second goal.

Crosby broke out of a mini-funk with three points. He had recorded only three points over six previous games.

He also completed his first "Gordie Howe Hat Trick," fighting Boston defenseman Andrew Ference at 5:09 of the second period.

Oddly, Crosby's first NHL fight was a better battle than either of the two between forward Georges Laraque and Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara in the first period. Each of those frays resulted in takedowns.

"You do not like to see those things, but when players play with an edge those things are going to happen," Therrien said.

83-Steelers-43
12-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Still not crazy about giving a point to a team in our conference. At the end of the season every point counts. Teams have missed the playoffs by one point in the past.

No excuse for blowing a four goal lead. Obviously I'll take it, but I don't like the taste of it.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_543822.html

Pens' Conklin makes first start
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 21, 2007

Goaltender Ty Conklin made his first start for the Penguins, replacing Dany Sabourin, who had gone 1-3-0 since Marc-Andre Fleury was lost for upwards of two months with a right ankle injury. Sabourin had stopped only 96 of 110 shots in four previous starts. Conklin, who played the third period of a blowout loss in Philadelphia on Dec. 11, had not started an NHL game since April 8, as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.

? Defenseman Brooks Orpik did not dress, as coach Michel Therrien returned to a previously planned rotation among all defenseman, except Sergei Gonchar and Mark Eaton. Since the rotation went into effect Dec. 8, only Orpik has been scratched twice, and just he and Darryl Sydor have not played. Orpik has registered an even-or-better plus/minus rating in 11 of 12 games and his 93 hits lead the Penguins.

? Forward Jeff Taffe, recalled from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL on Wednesday, was in the lineup as the Penguins dressed 12 forwards. Taffe skated on a line with left wing Jarkko Ruutu and right wing Georges Laraque. With left wing Ryan Malone in Pittsburgh to have an infection in his left leg evaluated by doctors, Evgeni Malkin played the left side on a line centered by Sidney Crosby with Colby Armstrong at right wing.

? Team president David Morehouse and vice president of sales and marketing Dave Soltesz attended the game to gather information on TD Banknorth Garden's state-of-the-art, hi-def video scoreboard.

4 - Consecutive home games for the Penguins to close 2007; they opened December with eight of 10 on the road

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
So I guess by the way things look, we're going to possibly be using The Garden's(lesser famous) Scoreboard as our guide?

http://cdn.nhl.com/bruins/images/upload/2007/06/garden_hdx.jpg

83-Steelers-43
12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Christensen with his second goal in two games (3 counting shootout goal). Need to keep throwing the puck at the net and put bodies in front of DiPietro. Going to need garbage goals tonight.

1-1 after one and we have one minute remaining on the PP to take us into the second period. Pretty even game. Would be nice to see our PP wake up. Has looked absolutely horrible.

Also, congratulations to Gary Roberts on getting his 900th point tonight.

83-Steelers-43
12-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Andy Sutton completely screws up, Staal with the PP goal. 2-1 Pens. Thank you Andy Sutton.

Just a little advice to the Pens.....if we are going to dump the puck against one of the best stick handling goaltenders in the league, please dump it harder. Gotta say though, it's a joy watching DiPietro throw out tape to tape passes.

83-Steelers-43
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Pens fail to score on a 4 minute PP. Unbelievable. 2-2 at the end of two.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
This game makes wanna puke.

83-Steelers-43
12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Pens lose 4-2. Still struggling with the divisional games. We are letting up on teams. We get the lead and then we decide to sit back. Still blowing PP chances. Minus Staal's fluke goal on the PP courtesy of Andy Sutton, our PP continues to struggle. Defense is below average. Isles first goal they back up, back up, back up and were practically sitting on Sabourin's shoulders. I'm screaming "step up!!" at my tv screen. Thankfully I gave my tickets to my sister and her husband tonight.

It will be interesting to see who starts in net next game.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2007, 12:15 AM
i missed the game but i can only imagine the pain watching it. how do you give up 4 goals to the islanders. their r one of the lowest scoring teams right now theyve scored 4 goals in the last 2-3 games. we really have a problem in net and now my dad is even hoping fleury gets back sooner (he hated on fleury even last year) since he has been injured we have given up almost 4 goals a game and with fleury its jus under 3

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
i missed the game but i can only imagine the pain watching it. how do you give up 4 goals to the islanders. their r one of the lowest scoring teams right now theyve scored 4 goals in the last 2-3 games. we really have a problem in net and now my dad is even hoping fleury gets back sooner (he hated on fleury even last year) since he has been injured we have given up almost 4 goals a game and with fleury its jus under 3

Hopefully we can sign a vet that is in good shape.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Hopefully we can sign a vet that is in good shape.

someone told me that we were in trade talks with the canadiens to pick up one of their goalies. that person isnt that reliable but huet or price wouldnt be that bad of a pickup. the only thing is that we would have to give up more than we want for price and huet gets hurt a lot and that would jus leave us right back with fleury/sabourin. lets bring Patrick Roy out of retirement!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
or price

I do not see that happening.

pittsburghp8baller
12-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I do not see that happening.

ya i kno but i wouldnt mind having him in net

steelpride12
12-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I was at the 4-2 loss to the Isles and there is only one thing i can say and that is goaltending is killing us!
2 of the goals we gave up were pathetic shots and with Fluery would have been an easy save.
Also god dam can we beat anyone in our own division!?

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 02:38 PM
ya i kno but i wouldnt mind having him in net

I'd love to see the price tag for that former #5 overall pick.

pittsburghp8baller
12-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd love to see the price tag for that former #5 overall pick.

ya im jus a little curious to see that. maybe one of our former top picks or maybe letang along with a future pick?

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
ya im jus a little curious to see that. maybe one of our former top picks or maybe letang along with a future pick?

This is just my opinion........

But there is no way in hell I would give up Letang for a goaltender who we plan on using up until Fleury is healthy and ready to come back. It's not as if Fleury's career is over. It's not worth trading the future for a quick fix.

Plus we are already weak on defense as it is. Letang is going to be special. What has surprised me the most about Letang is not his offensive abilities, but his physical play. I already knew he had the scoring touch, but his defensive play at his age and at this level has surprised the hell out of me. Also factor in what he brings to this team on shootouts.

Letang is a keeper.

pittsburghp8baller
12-23-2007, 03:28 PM
This is just my opinion........

But there is no way in hell I would give up Letang for a goaltender who we plan on using up until Fleury is healthy and ready to come back. It's not as if Fleury's career is over. It's not worth trading the future for a quick fix.

Plus we are already weak on defense as it is. Letang is going to be special. What has surprised me the most about Letang is not his offensive abilities, but his physical play. I already knew he had the scoring touch, but his defensive play at his age and at this level has surprised the hell out of me. Also factor in what he brings to this team on shootouts.

Letang is a keeper.

im not saying we should trade letang. i was thinking on the point of view of the canadiens from wat they might ask for in exchange for price. letang is the next player i think we should lock up long term without a doubt.

im guessing that we try and ride out the sabourin/conklin experience. i dont see us messing with our core of players for a quick fix until fleury returns.

any1 know some of the veteran goalies that we might snag up? eddie belfour? lets bring tommy barrasso back!!!! (jus kidding).

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 03:50 PM
any1 know some of the veteran goalies that we might snag up? eddie belfour? lets bring tommy barrasso back!!!! (jus kidding).

Well, you already mentioned one option. Huet (makes $2.75M). Maybe either Ray Emory or Gerber. I've heard rumors that those two are not getting along and that the Senators are willing to listen to offers. The problem with a Curtis Joseph or an Eddie Belfour is by the time these guys get back into game shape Fleury will be back and healthy.

Personally, I hate the idea of having to give up something for a goalie who's services will only be needed for the next three or so weeks. If it were up to me, I would sit tight and roll with Sabourin and Conklin. BTW, Pens tied at 1-1 in the 2nd. Roberts with the goal. That Roberts, Laraque and Christensen line is a solid line. Conklin in net.

EDIT: Malkin just let go of a sick slap shot to make it 2-1 in the 2nd. PP goal.

EDIT AGAIN...lol. Penguins just scored again 30 seconds after the Malkin goal. Roberts to Laraque.

Oh boy, Eaton is hurting. Marco Sturm slew footed Eaton. Should be five minutes right there. Open your eyes ref. Conklin is looking solid. I'd still like to know what Orpik did in order to get benched over Sydor. That last Islanders game was a perfect example of why I have absolutely no faith in Sydor.

3-1 at the end of 2. Bruins will have 1:09 remaining on the PP when the 3rd starts. Game is far from over when it comes to this Penguin team. Pens are 1 for 4 on the PP up to this point.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Damn this has been a big game for the Pens.

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Damn this has been a big game for the Pens.

In particular that Laraque-Roberts-Christensen line. Looking good. We just need to keep up the pressure. No letting up. Hopefully we learned our lesson from the last time we played them.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Time for a big 3rd period.

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Malkin taking the horrible penalty. Had no reason to trip Axelsson. Stay disciplined. We dodged that PK. Now net another goal.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Need a goal just to make sure the game is on ice.

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Eaton has not returned. Not good. Hopefully the league will take a look at the Marco Sturm slew foot and fine/suspend him.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Eaton has not returned. Not good. Hopefully the league will take a look at the Marco Sturm slew foot and fine/suspend him.

Yeah we're going to be drawing more match penalties for opposing teams at this rate.

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
WOW....that was close. Ruutu was nudged into Auld and Ruutu's skate came up and caught Auld in the lower part of his mask. That was unbelievably close to Auld's neck. Obviously the first thing that came to my mind on that play...........

_bH4NnHAqww

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Bruins pull goalie. Bruins score to make it 3-2 with 53.3 seconds remaining in the third. We had a PP with 4 minutes left and we pissed it away.

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Pens put it away with the empty net goal by Roberts. Wow, close game.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2007, 05:28 PM
GOOD NIGHT BOSTON!

steelpride12
12-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Good win by the Pens scoring with their 3rd line all night!
2 great goals by Roberts + an assist= 3 point night.
Always love seeing Laraque score and jump the glass lol!
Malkin beautiful like always gotta love it!
GREAT GAME PENS 4-2!

83-Steelers-43
12-23-2007, 05:35 PM
GOOD NIGHT BOSTON!

Was scary there in the third (becoming a habit with this team). Team needs to take advantage of PP's. With the unit we put out there on our PP we should look ten times better than we have been looking when on the PP.

Good to see Christensen putting up points. I'm hoping Eaton is not seriously injured. I'm not crazy about not having our best defensive defenseman on the ice for a long period of time. Also, hats off to Conklin, played a good game. I think it's safe to say he will get the nod against the Capitals on December 27. At least he should get the nod. This year, I never know about Therrien (see Sydor over Orpik).

steelpride12
12-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Conklin had an excellent game i thought tonight very impressive not giving up many rebounds!
Also great game by the third line tonight!

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07358/844164-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Practice doesn't make perfect on power play
Monday, December 24, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins spent 20 minutes of their Saturday practice on an intensive power-play session, but that wasn't apparent in the first period of their 4-2 victory against Boston yesterday at Mellon Arena.

Especially at the start of a five-on-three advantage 9:17 into that first period.

Just before the faceoff, the Penguins realized they had six skaters on the ice, one over the limit. Point man Sergei Gonchar started to skate off, then forward Petr Sykora skated toward the bench but stopped before Gonchar -- one of the most productive power-play point men in the NHL -- finally left the ice.

"Sometimes it happens," Gonchar said. "I guess we were confused."

All the while, captain Sidney Crosby was screaming and pointing.

"I was just trying to get us organized," Crosby said. "We had to have a guy go off. It was hard because of [Evgeni] Malkin [whose English is limited]."

Coach Michel Therrien said the problem was with defenseman Kris Letang, who had not been on the ice during the previous 43 seconds, a five-on-four power play.

"He was supposed to be on the ice, but he didn't know who to send off," Therrien said.

The Penguins didn't score on that power play, but redemption came in the second period when Malkin's blistering shot from the right circle beat Boston goaltender Alex Auld during a man-advantage to make it 2-1 and give the Penguins a lead they never relinquished.
An empty feeling

Crosby almost scored a highlight goal -- into an empty net.

With Auld pulled in the final seconds, Crosby drove down the right side of the Boston zone and shook off a checker. By then, he was at a severe angle to the net as he let go a shot.

"I'd say I could see not even a foot of the net," Crosby said, noting that the length of his stick made the aperture even smaller.

The puck bounced hard off the near post -- right to Penguins winger Gary Roberts, who planted it at 19:50 for his second goal of the game.
Attendance record

The Penguins drew 17,060 to set a club record with their 31st consecutive regular-season sellout, a number that could grow to 54 if Mellon Arena is filled the rest of this season.

"It's a possibility we could sell out the season," team president David Morehouse said. "It's a tribute to the fans and the city of Pittsburgh."

It's not bad for the bottom line, either. Each of the 18 home games in 2007-08 has drawn a standing-room crowd, adding to the club's revenue stream.

"It helps the business end," Morehouse said. "It's going to help us maintain the talent level."

Although there was a large increase in fan interest and ticket sales in Crosby's first two seasons, it has reached the point where tickets are getting tough to come by. The team now has a waiting list for season tickets.

"The sports fans in Pittsburgh are extremely loyal. I grew up here; I know," Morehouse said. "Pittsburgh, since Mario [Lemieux, the retired Hall of Fame center and team chairman], has become a hockey town. With Sid, that's growing exponentially. It's like Renaissance II."

Part of that growth now includes plans for a new arena across the street from Mellon Arena scheduled to open for 2010-11.
Slap shots

Gonchar picked up his 400th career assist in the second period. ... Sykora played his 800th game. ... In addition to Ryan Malone (leg), the Penguins scratched defenseman Brooks Orpik for the third consecutive game. ... Boston scratched winger Brandon Bochenski and defenseman Bobby Allen. ... Because of Christmas, the Penguins are off until Wednesday afternoon.

pittsburghp8baller
12-24-2007, 12:20 PM
no hockey for two days!!! dam wat is there to look forward after work!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
no hockey for two days!!! dam wat is there to look forward after work!!!!!!!!!

Today nothing, tomorrow getting sugar high off of soda. lol.

pittsburghp8baller
12-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Today nothing, tomorrow getting sugar high off of soda. lol.

lol. not working today or 2morrow so its gonna make days even longer. maybe shero could get the pens fans a defensive defenseman for christmas!!

83-Steelers-43
12-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Horrible news...

Mark Eaton, who plays alongside Sergei Gonchar on the top defense pairing, was helped off the ice at 16:24 of the second period with an apparent serious knee injury after Bruins forward Marco Sturm knocked his legs out from under him.

Although the Penguins said there was no official word on the particulars of Eaton's injury, let alone a prognosis, he is believed to have suffered significant ligament damage.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07358/844144-61.stm

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2007, 10:39 PM
DAMN IT!

I saw the hit yesterday, the man should have gotten a match penalty and suspension.

pittsburghp8baller
12-24-2007, 11:45 PM
OMG! time for our defense to pick their game up. we r losing our top defensive defenseman and we r giving up close to 4 goals a game since fleury went down

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2007, 08:56 AM
OMG! time for our defense to pick their game up. we r losing our top defensive defenseman and we r giving up close to 4 goals a game since fleury went down

Yep, and it's not getting any rosier.

steelpride12
12-26-2007, 02:24 PM
injuries are freaking killing us!
we would be a brute force with everyone in the linesups healthy, but our biggest problem and a reason our goal % is high is goaltending.
Dany S is playing terrible in my sense and Conklin is decent, but wont get us far without Fluery!

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 03:21 PM
IMO, even when this team is healthy they are still not showing me signs of being able to ring off a ten or twelve game win streak like they were doing last season. They go in spurts. What troubles me the most this season is that we are unable to beat teams in our own division.

Our PP continues to be absolutely horrible. There is no excuse for our PP looking this bad. On offense you have the best player in the NHL and one of the best young players in the league (Malkin). At the points you have Gonchar and the option of Whitney or Letang.

Our defense is no better. Our best (IMO) defensive defenseman is out. Whitney's defensive game has dropped. Sydor is just pathetic. Orpik has been sitting the bench. Scuderi, who I felt played a solid game last year has looked bad. Gonchar looks so/so. Misses the net more times than not it seems and some of his decision making (passes, handling the puck) have been questionable. Oddly enough I feel Letang and Eaton have been our two best defenseman up to this point. We leave guys wide open in front of Sabourin or Conklin. We are giving up 2 on 1's (at times while we are on the PP).

Goaltending is to blame to a degree. There's a reason why Conklin is a third stringer playing in the minors at 31 years old. There's also a reason why Sabourin is a backup. Because neither are good enough to start. But those two can only do so much when you look at our defense and our offense. On offense we get PP chance after PP chance and fail to score. Opposing team get's on the PP and scores. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sabourin is not good at starting a game. He is better off coming off the bench and playing cold. If I were Therrien, I would start Conklin every night up until Fleury is ready. If Conlkin gives up a few cheapies, throw in Sabourin.

I'm also starting to question how much coaching has to do with our current situation. There is no doubt injuries are a factor, but playing Sydor over Orpik does not make sense. Next game, watch Sydor for the first period and see how truly horrible he is on defense. My luck, the guy will have the best game of his career while currently sporting a -7...lol.

Using the "it's still early" excuse is not an option at this point. Mid-December and we are failing to win our divisional games and we stink at home. Not a good recipe if we expect to make the playoffs. I have absolutely no doubts that we can play better hockey and make a run, but that defense is what scares me the most. And on that note.........

Penguins' Eaton out with torn ACL
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will be out indefinitely with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

He was injured during the Penguins' 4-2 victory against Boston Sunday at Mellon Arena.

Eaton has no goals and three assists in 36 games this season. He plays along side Sergei Gonchar Penguins' top defense pairing.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07360/844587-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Also, just heard on Sports Beat that Conklin is getting the nod tomorrow night. Malone praticed today but wore a blue jersey. He is listed as doubtful. Also, rumors are flying............

RUMOURS DU JOUR: There's plenty of talk the Penguins have intensified their search for someone to play with C Sidney Crosby. The options are limited, but the word is Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero has talked to the Thrashers about W Marian Hossa, who can become an unrestricted free agent next summer. It's believed that Shero also spoke to the Flames about W Kristian Huselius, but he was pulled off the trade market once Calgary started winning. Don't be surprised if Nashville GM David Poile does his old assistant Shero a favour and sends W J.P. Dumont to the Pens before the deadline. If Shero can't do anything, the other option is to fire coach Michel Therrien and that could be close ...

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2007/12/23/4738157-sun.html

The team that is most often linked to Jagr is Edmonton, although I have also heard the Penguins would make a serious pitch...

Which brings us to the next questions..."Are the Pens looking for a Sniper to play with Crosby?" I have heard both sides of this one. On the one hand, it is pretty obvious that the folks in Pittsburgh realize with all the great talent they have that they can be patient. There is also an argument that Crosby needs someone with a little more experience on the wing.

Cheechoo is the natural candidate, because he has struggled. My sources in San Jose say that Cheechoo needs a new start and that his production has a bit to do with him, but a whole lot more to do with Thornton playing less and less of a playmaker role.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=11988

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh how I would love see Hossa or Jagr playing next to Sid. Prefer Hossa, but I'll take Jagr. It's sure beats the hell out of watching Sid set up Malone and Colby time and time again and neither putting it away as much as they should be doing on Sid's line. Imagine that PP unit.......Crosby, Malkin, Jagr/Hossa with Gonchar and Letang/Whitney at the point? WOW.

I love rumors and speculation season in the NHL.

IMO, if I were Shero I would be worrying about picking up a defenseman. There is a very good chance we just lost Eaton for the rest of the season. Defenseman first.

X-Terminator
12-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I doubt very seriously if the Pens get Jagr or Hossa. Not sure how the fans would be able to deal with Jagr back in a Pens uniform - personally, I don't want that whiny coach-killer anywhere near the Pens. Hossa will simply be too expensive to acquire and re-sign. If they go after anyone to help with scoring, Cheechoo or Michael Ryder might be good options and won't cost them an arm and a leg.

That's a damn shame about Eaton - got hurt on a clear-as-day slew foot by Marco Sturm. He has been solid all season on the top unit with Gonchar, who has been pretty damn solid himself and had he not injured his groin last month, might still be leading the league in scoring among defensemen. Our D is already weak with him in the lineup - they are absolutely horrible now. Shero absolutely has to make a deal now for a defenseman first and foremost, and try to add some scoring depth up front.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I doubt very seriously if the Pens get Jagr or Hossa. Not sure how the fans would be able to deal with Jagr back in a Pens uniform - personally, I don't want that whiny coach-killer anywhere near the Pens. Hossa will simply be too expensive to acquire and re-sign. If they go after anyone to help with scoring, Cheechoo or Michael Ryder might be good options and won't cost them an arm and a leg.

That's a damn shame about Eaton - got hurt on a clear-as-day slew foot by Marco Sturm. He has been solid all season on the top unit with Gonchar, who has been pretty damn solid himself and had he not injured his groin last month, might still be leading the league in scoring among defensemen. Our D is already weak with him in the lineup - they are absolutely horrible now. Shero absolutely has to make a deal now for a defenseman first and foremost, and try to add some scoring depth up front.

If they get either or I prefer Hossa. I love how Jagr plays on Ice, but off of it he's going to be a cancer.

Shero's first priority, get a defensemen. Even if you bring up someone from WBS or even Wheeling, it's not going to work for the long term when you hit the big games come January when the major competitors come out and rise above the rest.

83-Steelers-43
12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
If they get either or I prefer Hossa. I love how Jagr plays on Ice, but off of it he's going to be a cancer.

Shero's first priority, get a defensemen. Even if you bring up someone from WBS or even Wheeling, it's not going to work for the long term when you hit the big games come January when the major competitors come out and rise above the rest.

There is really only one reason why I would take Hossa over Jagr even though I would love to have either one of them. Age. Jagr is 35 and Hossa is only 28. If the Penguins plan on going out and getting a legitimate scoring threat to play next to Sid he's the guy to go after. He's still relatively young and he has 13 goals and 22 assists up to this point in the season. As much as I love Colby, he's not the guy you can expect to net goals on a regular basis. Malone started getting hot but I still don't see him being the 1-2 punch we are looking for. I'm not exactly sure of our cap numbers, but if this team is looking for the forward who can play with Sid he's the one I would spend the money on. Technically we can afford him, the question is what will our future look like? I'm not sure because I'm not working in the front office, but I would strongly consider making a push for Hossa.

Jagr's attitude does not really concern me. He was young when he was here and I'm sure he realizes he made some remarks he wishes he could take back. Much like Andre Frazier when he left the Steelers. He slumped in D.C. and kept his mouth shut. He took some heat in NYC on a few occasions and he kept his mouth shut. I'm sure the good majority of those fans in the igloo who boo the guy seven years after the fact would have no problem forgetting when he starts netting and setting up goals with Sid. Some fans are funny like that. I would actually find it amusing to watch.

When it comes to defenseman, I'm not seeing too many mouth watering defenseman on the FA market. Would have to come through a trade. The one defenseman down in WBS I would take a look at is Alex Goligoski but I don't think he's ready to make the leap from minors to pro. Wheeling is not an option. I don't even remember the last time a player has made the leap from Wheeling directly to Pittsburgh to be honest with you.

Will be interesting to see what Shero does SCM. Hopefully we are done with the Ekman and Sydor grabs.

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Penguins Q&A with Dave Molinari
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Q: Do you think Ray Shero will ratchet up the search for a defenseman who will keep the crease clear? It seems that making loitering in front of the Pens' net a more painful experience would help Dany Sabourin and Ty Conklin.

John Boskovic, Ross Township

MOLINARI: There's no credible evidence that Shero is actively shopping for a rugged defenseman, although it should be pointed out that he's not in the habit of running his personnel plans past reporters before acting on them.

There is no question, however, that a defenseman who would punish opposing forwards when they set up in and around the Penguins' crease -- as they've done a lot through the first 36 games -- would be an asset to the team, and a welcome addition, from the goaltenders' perspective. Indeed, coach Michel Therrien's decision to make Brooks Orpik a healthy scratch for the past three games was particularly perplexing because Orpik is the Penguins' only defenseman who has physical play as a regular part of his repertoire.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07361/844662-125.stm

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
There is really only one reason why I would take Hossa over Jagr even though I would love to have either one of them. Age. Jagr is 35 and Hossa is only 28. If the Penguins plan on going out and getting a legitimate scoring threat to play next to Sid he's the guy to go after. He's still relatively young and he has 13 goals and 22 assists up to this point in the season. As much as I love Colby, he's not the guy you can expect to net goals on a regular basis. Malone started getting hot but I still don't see him being the 1-2 punch we are looking for. I'm not exactly sure of our cap numbers, but if this team is looking for the forward who can play with Sid he's the one I would spend the money on. Technically we can afford him, the question is what will our future look like? I'm not sure because I'm not working in the front office, but I would strongly consider making a push for Hossa.

Jagr's attitude does not really concern me. He was young when he was here and I'm sure he realizes he made some remarks he wishes he could take back. Much like Andre Frazier when he left the Steelers. He slumped in D.C. and kept his mouth shut. He took some heat in NYC on a few occasions and he kept his mouth shut. I'm sure the good majority of those fans in the igloo who boo the guy seven years after the fact would have no problem forgetting when he starts netting and setting up goals with Sid. Some fans are funny like that. I would actually find it amusing to watch.

When it comes to defenseman, I'm not seeing too many mouth watering defenseman on the FA market. Would have to come through a trade. The one defenseman down in WBS I would take a look at is Alex Goligoski but I don't think he's ready to make the leap from minors to pro. Wheeling is not an option. I don't even remember the last time a player has made the leap from Wheeling directly to Pittsburgh to be honest with you.

Will be interesting to see what Shero does SCM. Hopefully we are done with the Ekman and Sydor grabs.

If Jagr shows a true sign of maturity I would welcome him back.(Which that's probably what would be the case since as you stated 83 that he was young and well young kids go off real easily). If EA Sports put the correct numbers into NHL 08 to the best of my knowledge the Pens are 15+ Million below the cap.(38 Million on 53 Million dollar cap).

I don't even remember going to Johnstown to watch any Nailers that I can think of that went to Pittsburgh.

Definantly will be interesting 83. Hopefully we are as well. Keep the faith man. :jammin:

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
If Jagr shows a true sign of maturity I would welcome him back.(Which that's probably what would be the case since as you stated 83 that he was young and well young kids go off real easily). If EA Sports put the correct numbers into NHL 08 to the best of my knowledge the Pens are 15+ Million below the cap.(38 Million on 53 Million dollar cap).

I don't even remember going to Johnstown to watch any Nailers that I can think of that went to Pittsburgh.

Definantly will be interesting 83. Hopefully we are as well. Keep the faith man. :jammin:

I'm just going by from what I've seen over the past seven years. I'm not exactly seeing T.O. syndrome here. I've heard a few fans state they feel he might retire here starting next season. Who knows?

As for our cap situation. I'm not doubting we can afford Hossa. The question is who do we want to give up on in the future? There is no doubt Hossa is going to cost us an arm and a leg, but that's the price you pay if you want a 28 year old legitimate scoring threat to play next to Sid. I would love to see it, but deep down I do not see it happening. Just fun to speculate.

I think Dumont or Vermette would we be a welcoming addition. Would still rather see Hossa. I can dream can't I? lol.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm just going by from what I've seen over the past seven years. I'm not exactly seeing T.O. syndrome here. I've heard a few fans state they feel he might retire here starting next season. Who knows?

As for our cap situation. I'm not doubting we can afford Hossa. The question is who do we want to give up on in the future? There is no doubt Hossa is going to cost us an arm and a leg, but that's the price you pay if you want a 28 year old legitimate scoring threat to play next to Sid. I would love to see it, but deep down I do not see it happening. Just fun to speculate.

I think Dumont or Vermette would we be a welcoming addition. Would still rather see Hossa. I can dream can't I? lol.

Can't we all. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 10:51 PM
some of his decision making (passes, handling the puck) have been questionable.

And tonight it was proven. Two of the caps three goals were on Gonchar turnovers. Looked absolutely horrible. Thankfully for him and the Penguins Sidney Crosby bailed him out and set him up with an open net goal in OT.

I felt Conklin played a great game tonight. 3-0 as a starter now. We were lucky to come away from that game with 2 points.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
And tonight it was proven. Two of the caps three goals were on Gonchar turnovers. Looked absolutely horrible. Thankfully for him and the Penguins Sidney Crosby bailed him out and set him up with an open net goal in OT.

I felt Conklin played a great game tonight. 3-0 as a starter now. We were lucky to come away from that game with 2 points.

Yeah well luck or no luck. Good Game by the Penguins, but improvements are going to need to come SOON!

X-Terminator
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, well, well...Sydor with the game-tying goal and Gonchar with the game-winning goal. How about that, huh? On an off-night, which does happen on occasion to the best of them, both guys came through when it counted, and got us the win. That is all that matters in the end.

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah well luck or no luck. Good Game by the Penguins, but improvements are going to need to come SOON!

Hey, I'll take the luck definately even though we gave another point to a conference team. Wonder if Gonchar will buy Sid a steak tonight? He should.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Hey, I'll take the luck definately even though we gave another point to a conference team. Wonder if Gonchar will buy Sid a steak tonight? He should.

They should be on their way to Ruth Chris Steakhouse right now.

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
They should be on their way to Ruth Chris Steakhouse right now.

Now your making me crave a Ruth Chris steak....:banging:

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Now your making me crave a Ruth Chris steak....:banging:

Damn it! :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
12-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Also heard tonight that Shero brought the Sturm cheap shot on Eaton to Campbell's attention. Hopefully we will be hearing about a suspension in the next few days.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Also heard tonight that Shero brought the Sturm cheap shot on Eaton to Campbell's attention. Hopefully we will be hearing about a suspension in the next few days.

Hopefully it's one that drops a hammer.

steelpride12
12-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Well its nice to make mistakes against a $hitty team and still come out with the victory.
Gonchar! man come one those two turnovers could have cost us that game your lucky Crosby set you up beautifully.
Its nice to see defense men score during any game and Taffe getting his first penguin goal!

X-Terminator
12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I watched the game again this morning on the DVR and saw those 2 mis-plays by Gonchar. It was actually the first play that looked the worst, and it was the EXACT same play that Crosby got burned on against the Islanders a few weeks back. It looks bad, but hey, sh*t happens. The second one was just a nice poke-check by Niklas Backstrom that caused the turnover - I give him credit for that. Gonchar does need to take care of the puck better, but the guy has been one of our most consistent defensemen all season long, and 2 plays in a game where he ultimately redeemed himself by scoring the game-winning goal isn't going to change that.

steelpride12
12-28-2007, 02:35 PM
I watched the game again this morning on the DVR and saw those 2 mis-plays by Gonchar. It was actually the first play that looked the worst, and it was the EXACT same play that Crosby got burned on against the Islanders a few weeks back. It looks bad, but hey, sh*t happens. The second one was just a nice poke-check by Niklas Backstrom that caused the turnover - I give him credit for that. Gonchar does need to take care of the puck better, but the guy has been one of our most consistent defensemen all season long, and 2 plays in a game where he ultimately redeemed himself by scoring the game-winning goal isn't going to change that.

i agree, but we can't argue with having a league leading defense men since 2000 right ha ha! :smile:

83-Steelers-43
12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
i agree, but we can't argue with having a league leading defense men since 2000 right ha ha! :smile:

Agree completely. You can't argue that point nor have I seen anybody arguing that point. I'm not sitting here and asking for this team to trade Gonchar away for a bag of pucks and a hockey stick or deport him back to Russia. Simply pointed out that so far this season his passing and decision making have been questionable at times. If it were one game where I noticed these mental errors I would not even have brought it up. The difference last night was that the opposing team took advantage of Gonchar's brain farts and it ended up biting us in the ass on two different occasions.

Thankfully Sid bailed him and the team out by setting up that beauty in OT.

Hopefully his mental errors stop. Next time we may not have the luxury of playing the Capitals who lost Ovechkin in the 3rd.

83-Steelers-43
12-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Hopefully he's capable of playing the way he started playing before he went down. Consistency and Ryan Malone have not been used in the same sentence since he started wearing a Penguins sweater. Here's to hoping he can keep it up...

? Left wing Ryan Malone said he expects to play against the Buffalo Sabres tonight. Malone said he has recovered from a leg infection, though the cut-like hole in his leg will likely remain a lingering problem for team doctors to monitor. "We have to watch the swelling and make sure we drain it," Malone said. "But other than that, I feel good." Malone said he lost "a few pounds" during his illness, which caused him to miss four consecutive games.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_544940.html

83-Steelers-43
12-29-2007, 07:46 PM
No Sykora tonight (illness). Pens have come out with fire in the early part of the first tonight. Sid to Colby 1-0 Pens in the early 2nd. Roberts is down and it's not looking good at all. Leg/knee injury. It's looking like he blew out his knee.

Conklin looking like a rock. It's amazing what a goalie can look like when his defense is boxing players out and not making idiotic passes/decisions in their own zone.

steelpride12
12-29-2007, 09:03 PM
No Sykora tonight (illness). Pens have come out with fire in the early part of the first tonight. Sid to Colby 1-0 Pens in the early 2nd. Roberts is down and it's not looking good at all. Leg/knee injury. It's looking like he blew out his knee.

Conklin looking like a rock. It's amazing what a goalie can look like when his defense is boxing players out and not making idiotic passes/decisions in their own zone.

Crosby can make anyone look like a god, and he is playing like normal a masterpiece and Armstrong it was too easy for him!
ENOUGH INJURIES!
It has not yet, but if Roberts is out for good were gonna start feeling the loss of all these players and its gonna bite us in the ass!
Go Pens 1-0 after 2nd period!

steelpride12
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
:dang: Another serious injury:Gary Roberts BROKEN left fibula in his leg lets hope he is ready for playoffs!

steelpride12
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Solid shutout by the Pens beating the Sabres by a score of 2-0!
First goal pass from Crosby to Armstrong!
second goal: open net pass from Crosby to Malkin walk-in!
Ty Conklin a solid 4 game win streak with the Pens and his first shutout as a pens!
Go Pens!

X-Terminator
12-30-2007, 12:02 AM
:dang: Another serious injury:Gary Roberts BROKEN left fibula in his leg lets hope he is ready for playoffs!

Paging Ray Shero...we REALLY could use a trade right now...

I think it's amazing that the team has managed to win 12 of their last 17 games despite all of these injuries. And to my surprise, Ty Conklin has been decent in goal. But we need serious help, otherwise this season will go south in a hurry. You can't lose 4 of your most important players and do absolutely nothing to replace them.

X-Terminator
12-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Also, word is that there was a big blowup between Orpik and Assistant Coach Andre Savard in practice last week, and that was why he was scratched for 3 straight games. We all know Therrien stresses discipline, so it doesn't surprise me to see him bring the hammer down and let him know who's in charge. I was wondering why suddenly he wasn't playing, because he's our only physical presence we have on the blue line - now I know. I'm not sure I would have HS'ed him for 3 straight games though - 1 or 2 games should be enough to send a message.

83-Steelers-43
12-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Solid shutout by the Pens beating the Sabres by a score of 2-0!
First goal pass from Crosby to Armstrong!
second goal: open net pass from Crosby to Malkin walk-in!
Ty Conklin a solid 4 game win streak with the Pens and his first shutout as a pens!
Go Pens!

Last night was the best game I've seen our defense play all year long. Orpik looked very solid. Nice to see him back in there even though he should not have been out in the first place. I thought the defense did an excellent job of boxing players out.

On offense we were not permitting the Sabres to have a clean breakout. Our PP is still struggling, but it was great to see the defense step up last night , this team play three periods of hockey and Conklin play a very solid game. Hopefully the defense can keep it up.

It's a shame about Roberts. Talk about a 'veteran leader' who brings it EVERY night.

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 12:53 PM

I'm sick over that. Ughhhhh. Knowing the type of player and fitness guru Roberts is, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back should the Pens go to the playoffs. I'm hoping Shero can get some reliable help - fast and in a hurry.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm sick over that. Ughhhhh. Knowing the type of player and fitness guru Roberts is, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back should the Pens go to the playoffs. I'm hoping Shero can get some reliable help - fast and in a hurry.

Amen to that!

83-Steelers-43
12-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Not good at all for Roberts. This could not only end his season, but his career. That will be up to him after he eventually heals. I'm definately not holding my breath when it comes to Gary Roberts returning to the Penguins lineup. It would be a different story if the guy was 25 or 27 years old. Gary Roberts being 41 years old will not help with the healing process.

Time for Shero to wheel and deal. Just stay away from the Recchi's and Ekman's of the NHL. Then again, he might dip into WBS/Scranton for replacements.

HometownGal
12-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Amen to that!

:cheers::thumbsup:

7/39/43
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM
couple points out of first love it, wish I could be at that game Tomorrow, 30mph winds 1-2" of snow reminds me of playing on the lake when I was younger.
I wish hockey would of been as big then as it is now I might of had a career change LOL!

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 09:28 AM
XT left yesterday morning for Buffalo to attend the Winter Classic. There is a snowstorm in that area and is supposed to dump 6-10 inches in the Buffalo region. Though I love snow, I don't think I'd like sitting out in those elements for 3+ hours. I think I'll just enjoy watching it from my warm, comfy LR. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 11:30 AM
XT left yesterday morning for Buffalo to attend the Winter Classic. There is a snowstorm in that area and is supposed to dump 6-10 inches in the Buffalo region. Though I love snow, I don't think I'd like sitting out in those elements for 3+ hours. I think I'll just enjoy watching it from my warm, comfy LR. :thumbsup:

I would do that, but I also have 4 Arenas near by that I can catch hockey any time there is a game. Although NHL, is about 2 Hours Away.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Should be a fun game to watch today while in recovery mode. Three extra strength tylenol and one beer is the trick.

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I would do that, but I also have 4 Arenas near by that I can catch hockey any time there is a game. Although NHL, is about 2 Hours Away.

I'd really love to attend an outdoors game but not in a snowstorm - LOL! Should be a good game today. The WC reporter said this morning that if the snow keeps coming down during the game, they may have some delays.

GO PENS! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 12:25 PM

I'm not all that crazy about it really. Having to worry about the weather being the main reason. If it snows you have to worry about it piling up. If it rains you have to worry about the ice. When the wind starts blowing you end up having players feel like they are skating up hill. Not saying it will do any of the above, but just the fact of having to worry about it.

From a players point of view, there is the dreaded equipment change. Having to break everything in. I'm willing to bet half of the players playing in today's game are not comfortable with the equipment that they will have to wear today. For anybody else who has also played organized ice hockey knows it's a pain in the ass.

At the end of the day, it's not worth it (IMO) nor do I have any interest in the event. They can scrap that event for all I care. It's just another game on the schedule for me. Just get the two points and get this thing over with.

fansince'76
01-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Well, I hope he's well-bundled up. That's some pretty nasty stuff to have to sit in for 3+ hours. I'm sure the traffic trying to get out of it will be a nightmare as well.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:04 PM
LOL, a nice snow storm with "high winds". :shake02:

fansince'76
01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd really love to attend an outdoors game but not in a snowstorm - LOL! Should be a good game today. The WC reporter said this morning that if the snow keeps coming down during the game, they may have some delays.

GO PENS! :cheers:

I would think that snow falling on the ice and accumulating would affect the players' ability to skate. :hunch:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
"20-30 MPH winds" during the second and third periods. Smart.

The one and only thing I do like about this event are the uniforms.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Nevermind skating in the snow, moving the puck should be a real treat.

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I would think that snow falling on the ice and accumulating would affect the players' ability to skate. :hunch:

We'll soon see. It's really coming down at Ralph Wilson. Wish we'd get that snow here!

What I don't understand is why the Canadian anthem is sung before the American anthem. I understand that Buffalo is right across the river from the border, but the game is being played in Buffalo, New York. :dang:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
LOL, the snow is accumulating on the ring for Pete's sake. And players were complaining about the Penguins ice a month back, wait until they play on this.

For the sake of the game, I'm sure they will give the event a big "A+", but to state that surface is good for hockey is a complete joke. It sucks playing on ice during the final minutes of a period on an indoor rink, I can only imagine what this will be like.

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Sid the Kid scores!!!

1-0 Pens! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:27 PM
1-0 Penguins. Colby Armstrong scores, Crosby assisted. Edzo is already calling out the elements on the first goal....LOL.

A good half inch, snow all over the ice is being reported. Wow, Orpik was knocked into next week. Beautiful check.

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
My mistake - it was Army who scored. Sure looked like Sid put that in.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh man, Colby almost had two. Hit metal. Looks like they are skating through sand. Penguins PP coming on up. Puck is bouncing, scary when it's brought back to the point....to Gonchar in particular. Another Penguin PP coming on up. Buffalo tried to clear the zone and the puck actually hit a snow mound on the side boards at center ice....LOL.....Jesus.

fansince'76
01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
What I don't understand is why the Canadian anthem is sung before the American anthem. I understand that Buffalo is right across the river from the border, but the game is being played in Buffalo, New York. :dang:

Let's see, two AMERICAN teams playing on AMERICAN soil - why was the Canadian National Anthem being played at all? Only in America.

HometownGal
01-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Let's see, two AMERICAN teams playing on AMERICAN soil - why was the Canadian National Anthem being played at all? Only in America.

When an American team plays a Canadian team, the Canadian anthem is always sung out of respect, which is fine. God Bless America was sung instead, but my question was why the Canadian anthem went first - they're playing in America!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Nice. 2nd Penalty already to the Sabres.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 01:39 PM
When an American team plays a Canadian team, the Canadian anthem is always sung out of respect, which is fine. God Bless America was sung instead, but my question was why the Canadian anthem went first - they're playing in America!

Then why is the US Anthem played first before the canadien anthem in Canada?

My guess Canada's was sung because of the fact Hockey Originated in Canada.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Puck looks like a ping-pong ball. They can't settle the puck...lol.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Quick.....name the first Stanley Cup Champions.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:42 PM

That would be my guess also. It's a throw back event so they figured they would sing the Canadian anthem first since the game originated in Canada. Makes sense to me.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Atlanta Thrashers!!! :sofunny:

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Atlanta Thrashers!!! :sofunny:

Edit: Name the first US winner of the Stanley Cup.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Nashville Predators!!! :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Montreal???

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Montreal???

Correct....the Montreal HC (Hockey Club) won the first Stanley Cup in 1893. It was still an amateur competition at that point.

Now for all the marbles....name the first US winner.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:51 PM

The Metropolitans, based out of Seattle. Early 1900's I think? Definately could be wrong on the time. Probably am.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Correct....the Montreal HC (Hockey Club) won the first Stanley Cup in 1893. It was still an amateur competition at that point.

Now for all the marbles....name the first US winner.

Seattle Metropolitans?

Montreal was just a guess. I figured that was the case since they have won the most.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Patching up the ice and cleaning it...........:yawn:

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Correct....the Seattle Metropolitans in 1917. They also played in Finals in 1919 (canceled due to the Spanish Flu epidemic) and 1920 (they lost to the Ottawa Senators). The team only lasted from 1915 to 1924.

Jeremy
01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Seattle Metropolitans?

Montreal was just a guess. I figured that was the case since they have won the most.

The first Cups were amateur competitions.

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
And Malone hits the post. Two posts for the Pens so far.

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
This game is so exciting and did you hear the Buffalo fans threw snow balls at our bus hahah!
The speed is incredible and everyone is having fun its def. a blessing our pens were picked for this game.
Pens-1 Sabres-0 after first period with 2 crossbars from us many chances both ways!
Go Pens!

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
This game has been awesome. Conklin has played excellent.

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
This game has been awesome. Conklin has played excellent.

Conklin has def. earned his spot as the second string or back-up over Dany S.
He is 3-0 so far with the Pens and is making eye opening plays and stops.
His one save in the first period with the sabre took a shot right in front of him and he kicked his legs up to make the save.....amazing!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
:banging::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::ouch::ou ch::ouch::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::m16::m16::m16 ::argue::argue::argue::rocket::rocket::rocket:that is all

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Terrible period by the Pens just not playing with any intensity or will like the first period and a well earned goal by the Sabres and were lucky its only 1-1 after two periods with the strong goal tending of Ty Conklin!
Penguins-1 Sabres-1 After two period!

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 03:03 PM
:banging::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::ouch::ou ch::ouch::flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::m16::m16::m16 ::argue::argue::argue::rocket::rocket::rocket:that is all

Right with ya there buddy a very nerve racking period indeed! :dang:

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
2 shots on goal in the 2nd.........enough said.

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Better third period by the Pens and a bull crap penalty on Armstrong for a Buffalo power play for overtime!
Go Pens!
I want a shootout because we have such a strong advantage being 4-5 on shootouts this year!

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 04:18 PM
This whole event has been spectacular so far. It would be a real _______ shame if the Pens lost this game because of a bad call.

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
NICE PK!

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 04:37 PM
SID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

That was the best all around hockey game I have ever seen. What a game.

steelpride12
01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
PENS WIN! PENS WIN!
CROSBY IN THE SHOOTOUT WINS IT!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great game a wonderful event and having our Penguins to represent is amazing!
Ty Conklin is 4-0 as a Penguins with a 2.50 GAA and our streaking Pens winning 4 in a row climbing the ladder in the eastern conference!
Great game Pens!!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT OUT WINNERS!

83-Steelers-43
01-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Ty Conklin is 4-0 as a Penguins

He's 5-0. Letang is money.

Just happy we got out of there with no injuries and the two points. Stopping the play every five minutes to fix the ice was killing me. Now, time to come back home and beat up on some Maple Leafs.