PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

pittsburghp8baller
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
i knew 5 goals wasnt gonna be enough.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I had a bad feeling this was going to happen. Come on Pens!

The Duke
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
hey fellas, think it's the first time I come to a pens game discussion

damn, a tie :banging:

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
i knew 5 goals wasnt gonna be enough.

Something told me 6 or 7 was going to win this game whether in Regulation or OT for that matter.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Where's our Offense? We need a goal.

pittsburghp8baller
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Something told me 6 or 7 was going to win this game whether in Regulation or OT for that matter.

im watching the game with my cousin (ive converted him into a pens fan) and he has never seen a shootout so has long as we win i wouldnt mind settling this in a shootout

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Got to get some goals. It's getting into crunch time.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
im watching the game with my cousin (ive converted him into a pens fan) and he has never seen a shootout so has long as we win i wouldnt mind settling this in a shootout

All I care is we pick up 2 points from this game.

pittsburghp8baller
hey fellas, think it's the first time I come to a pens game discussion

damn, a tie :banging:

welcome! its never as big as the steeler game discussion but i always have a good time talking about the game with other pens fans (other than my dad, step-dad, cousin and bro dont kno anyother pens fans in VA)

SteelCityMan786
We're going to OT

pittsburghp8baller
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
All I care is we pick up 2 points from this game.

Same.

OT baby! this is the kind of games that turns non-hockey fans into hockey fans

The Duke
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
overtime......

Let's go Pens!!

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Come on guys. USE IT WISELY!

Ahh get some Football Season Music Out there huh?

Lord Stiller
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
5 on 3!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Let's go to the Shootout.

Lord Stiller
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Christienson
Letang
then Malkin

we really need these 2 pts

pittsburghp8baller
01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Christienson
Letang
then Malkin

i agree malkin isnt great at shootouts but he has been so hot and he has owned kolzig in shootouts and overall

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Christienson
Letang
then Malkin

we really need these 2 pts

vs. probably Poti, Ovechkin, and maybe Backstrom?

The Duke
01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
miss all three??

Borski
01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow, good job tieing up the SO

Edit: crap...

Lord Stiller
01-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I absolutely LOVE how Ruutu does the same move every time

Ahhhh crap, we really needed those 2 pts

pittsburghp8baller
01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I absolutely LOVE how Ruutu does the same move every time

Ahhhh crap, we really needed those 2 pts

i kno the only veriation is that sometimes he goes topself other times he goes 5 hole

im not positive but couldnt we have taken sole possession of first in the atlantic

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Sour, but 1 points better then none.

X-Terminator
01-21-2008, 11:09 PM
i kno the only veriation is that sometimes he goes topself other times he goes 5 hole

im not positive but couldnt we have taken sole possession of first in the atlantic

We do have a going-to-be-short-lived 1 point lead in the Atlantic after tonight. The Devils and Flyers play each other tomorrow night.

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2008, 11:14 PM
We do have a going-to-be-short-lived 1 point lead in the Atlantic after tonight. The Devils and Flyers play each other tomorrow night.

Hopefully we can get a small lead by the break if not tied.

HometownGal
01-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Hopefully we can get a small lead by the break if not tied.

Hopefully, but I'm not going to get upset if we fall back to 2nd or 3rd in a very, very tight division. As it stands now, we have 34 games to play yet and that division is wide open.

Though we lost in the SO last night, the Pens showed that they CAN score goals with the offensive talent they have minus Army and Sid. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I think it's safe to say Therrien will start Conklin next game....lol. Between giving up rebound after rebound and having a tendency of going down early, it's no wonder why Conklin would and should get the start.

You score five goals, that should automatically get you two points and the opposition, zero. Not the case with the Penguins last night.

On that note, I loved watching that dumb goon Brashear bounce off of Staal like a ping-pong ball.

Lord Stiller
01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I think it's safe to say Therrien will start Conklin next game....lol. Between giving up rebound after rebound and having a tendency of going down early, it's no wonder why Conklin would and should get the start.

You score five goals, that should automatically get you two points and the opposition, zero. Not the case with the Penguins last night.

On that note, I loved watching that dumb goon Brashear bounce off of Staal like a ping-pong ball.

I agree.

Next game is a huge game vs Philly. We swept them last year and now they are trying to return the favor

Crosby is out 6-8 weeks so hopefully he is back full strength before the playoffs start. I doubt we will be able to hold onto the division title. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise and we will fall to the 6th seed to play the weakass winner of the SE division

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Ugh....

Crosby out six-to-eight weeks, to return in March
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins center Sidney Crosby is expected to be out six-to-eight weeks while recovering from the high ankle sprain he sustained last Friday.

That prognosis was issued after Crosby underwent an extensive examination this morning.

If the timetable holds -- and that is far from certain, because setbacks are common for athletes with such injuries -- Crosby should return to the lineup sometime in early to mid-March.

Crosby was injured during the first period of the Penguins' 3-0 loss to Tampa Bay at Mellon Arena last Friday, when his right foot bent awkwardly as he slid into the boards behind the Lightning net.

The Penguins are 1-0-1 in the two games Crosby has missed so far.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08022/851209-100.stm

X-Terminator
01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm not saying anything...

The Duke
01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
March! this is definitely gonna hurt the team

I'm hoping for the best, but things ain't looing good

right now the most important thing is for him to get healthy

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2008, 12:34 PM
March! this is definitely gonna hurt the team

I'm hoping for the best, but things ain't looing good

right now the most important thing is for him to get healthy

You can say that again. I'm hearing many 'attempt' to put a positive spin on this situation and that's fine, but I'm not seeing anything coming out of this situation that is remotely positive or good for the team.

What scares me the most out of this whole situation, is the fact that we were struggling with Atlantic divisional teams before Crosby went down, I can't imagine what we are going to look like without him against the Flyers, Devils, Islanders and Rangers. Need to win those divisional games.

As of right now, they are buying the "We can do it without Sid" battle cry and that's great, couldn't be happier, but I'm anxious to see what they are looking like a month from now, not two games after the incident.

Personally, I'm more concerned with getting Sid back to 100%. Not rushing him back from a high ankle sprain (Talbot) or watching him in the playoffs to learn later that he was playing with a broken foot (Sens series) or in this situation....a high ankle sprain.

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2008, 12:47 PM
And this article does not make me feel much better.....

Pens' Crosby faces test of patience
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sidney Crosby could learn today the amount of time he can expect to miss with a right high ankle sprain.

The Penguins' captain is scheduled to be re-evaluated by team doctors, a process that will include a magnetic resonance imaging test on the ankle he injured Friday while crashing, leg-first, into the boards at Mellon Arena.

Medical professionals agree that any time frame placed on a potential return by Crosby might be less useful than the early betting line for Super Bowl XLII.

"There is not a standard blueprint for a progression," Arizona State University assistant athletic football trainer Bryce Nalepa said.

Nalepa, a Beaver Falls native, has assisted athletes recovering from high ankle sprains since becoming certified in 2001. He said there is no way in the immediate aftermath of the injury to forecast a time frame for an athlete's recuperation.
UMPC sports medicine physician Dr. Tanya Hagen concurred with Nalepa.

"The injury has such a range of severity that is tough early on to really tell," Hagen said, adding that a guess on severity can be made based on how high upon the ankle the injured person feels pain.

The MRI should go a long way toward giving Penguins doctors a grasp on the degree of Crosby's injury. Hagen said the MRI will at least discern how much of the ligament is torn.

"A sprain of anything is a tear of a ligament," Hagen said. "A high ankle sprain is a tear of the ligaments that connect the two lower leg bones."

Hagan is the head physician for athletics at several local colleges and is a consultant to the Steelers. She said an MRI of a high ankle sprain also would show any hairline bone fractures that an X-ray might not reveal.

"It is an injury that is very difficult to diagnose," Hagen said. "You do not know the extent of the injury right away. The ankle could look big, swollen and huge, but the athlete could be back in a few weeks.

"But if the athlete tore everything, it could take six or eight weeks, or require surgery."

Two of Crosby's teammates are dealing with right high ankle sprains.

Forward Maxime Talbot returned earlier this month after missing four weeks following a re-aggravation in December of a high ankle sprain that originally was diagnosed in November. Talbot said the injury continues to bother him, and he does not expect it to fully heal until the offseason.

Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury is in his seventh week of recovery from a right high ankle sprain from early-December. He initially was thought to return in six to eight weeks, but he said he expects a longer recovery period.

The scenarios involving Talbot and Fleury come as no surprise to former Duquesne University football player Bob Locicero, a Brentwood native now living in Frederick, Md.

Locicero injured his left ankle during fall football camp as a freshman in 1981. A decade passed before he learned the extent of his injury.

"I missed two weeks, went back to practice heavily taped," Locicero said. "But my ability to cut was not there. The ankle felt weak. Ten years later, I was running on the beach, and on my second day of running it felt like a nail was being driven into my ankle.

"My doctor told me I had a high ankle sprain. I was 18 when it happened the fist time and I will be 45 this year, and the ankle has never been right."

Greensburg Central Catholic senior lacrosse player Julieann Heuler said she appreciated Locicero's pain. Heuler, a former gymnast, had to abandon that sport three years ago after her fourth high ankle sprain.

The most recent occurrence likely was a re-aggravation of a previous high ankle sprain, Heuler said.

"I took a couple months off after the third one -- at least three months, actually," Heuler said. "After about a month, once the swelling went down and I was not feeling pain, I wrapped up my ankle and moved on it.

"That was my downfall. I thought I was good ... and that was it."

Nalepa said communication between Crosby and team trainers will prove vital to the recovery process.

Crosby played the final month of last season, including the playoffs, with a broken bone in his foot. Teammates expect him to push hard for a quick return.

"He will want to be back tomorrow," Talbot said. "I did, too. With this injury, it is just ... you can't. You have to give it time to heal, and you have to be patient and accept that (recovery) is not something you can control."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_548573.html

HometownGal
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not saying anything...

Probably a good thing. I know you don't like the taste of crow very much. :wink02::flap:

HometownGal
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already (didn't see it), but Geno will be replacing Sid in the NHL All-Star game this weekend. :thumbsup:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/breaking/s_548682.html

Crosby will miss the All-Star Game in Atlanta this weekend. He was the top online vote-getter and will be replaced by teammate Evgeni Malkin, who entered today eighth in the NHL with 26 goals and ninth with 56 points. Malkin has scored three goals in two games since Crosby's injury.

Malkin join fellow Russian teammate Sergei Gonchar on the Eastern Conference All-Star roster. He called the All-Star an invite an "honor" in a statement released by the Penguins.

SteelCityMan786
01-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Hopefully, but I'm not going to get upset if we fall back to 2nd or 3rd in a very, very tight division. As it stands now, we have 34 games to play yet and that division is wide open.

Though we lost in the SO last night, the Pens showed that they CAN score goals with the offensive talent they have minus Army and Sid. :thumbsup:

Yeah well, I'd like them to go into the break as the 2, 4 or 5 seed IF THEY CAN.

And yeah it is a relief that other people are stepping up.

steelpride12
01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
We could still be a pretty deep, strong threat if we could just have everyone healthy, but with Kennedy out with an illness and players going out one or two games like Armstrong is killing us. If we had everyone healthy, but the people on IR and Crosby i think we would be doing just fine.......but for now im holding my breathe and praying for the best!
Go Pens!

HometownGal
01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
If we had everyone healthy, but the people on IR and Crosby i think we would be doing just fine.......but for now im holding my breathe and praying for the best!
Go Pens!

For the moment, we ARE doing just fine. 1-0-1 since Sid's injury is a tad better than 0-2 :smile:

Lord Stiller
01-22-2008, 08:01 PM
It could be worse. sounds like he should be back before the playoffs start which will allow him to play a few games to get back into the swing of things

Malkin and Conklin's backs are going to be hurting because it is up to them to carry the team

looks like are chances of winning the division are shot though :(

SteelCityMan786
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
It could be worse. sounds like he should be back before the playoffs start which will allow him to play a few games to get back into the swing of things

Malkin and Conklin's backs are going to be hurting because it is up to them to carry the team

The Division is NOT out of the equation in my opinion. This division changes possession all the time. I would not be surprised if it goes down to the day the Pens play the Flyers in Philly for the Season Finale.

pittsburghp8baller
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
The Division is NOT out of the equation in my opinion. This division changes possession all the time. I would not be surprised if it goes down to the day the Pens play the Flyers in Philly for the Season Finale.

i hope ur right. but with the struggles we already have against our own division it could be a long road. but ive always been optimistic when it comes to the pens and i def think a division title is def within reach without crosby

pittsburghp8baller
01-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Additions of Niedermayer, Perry Increase Ducks' All-Star Contingent to Four

NEW YORK -- Two members of the Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks -- defenseman Scott Niedermayer and forward Corey Perry -- are among five players added to the Western and Eastern Conference rosters for the 2008 NHL All-Star Game, Sunday, Jan. 27 at Philips Arena in Atlanta (6 p.m., ET, VERSUS, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio), the National Hockey League announced today.

Niedermayer and Perry join their Anaheim teammates, defenseman Chris Pronger and forward Ryan Getzlaf, and the give the Ducks a League-high four representatives on the Western Conference team.

Also added to the Western Conference roster is Dallas Stars forward Mike Ribeiro. Named to the Eastern Conference roster are Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin and Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas.

The players named today replace Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny, Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg, Stars defenseman Sergei Zubov, New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur and Penguins forward Sidney Crosby.

Niedermayer, the 2007 Conn Smythe Trophy winner as MVP of the Stanley Cup playoffs, will be making his fifth career All-Star Game appearance. This will be the first All-Star Game for Malkin, Perry, Ribeiro and Thomas.

HometownGal
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Yes - it could be worse.

Last night, 5 regulation goals were scored by 4 different players (Malkin 2, Talbot, Sykora and Malone). I think that says a lot about the team's goal scoring abilities, though admittedly, the Pens have always had Ollie's number. Malkin has taken over as the team leader until Sid's return and he's off to a great start!

As of the time of this post, 8 points separate the first place Pens from the last place Rangers, though the standings are going to be shuffled around a bit as the Devils are killing the Flyers 7-3 in the 3rd and the Rangers and Isles have already won their games tonight. The Pens are idle and will move down to 2nd and the Flyers will be in 3rd.

Have a little faith! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2008, 11:48 PM
i hope ur right. but with the struggles we already have against our own division it could be a long road.

Yeah, playing Philly is going to be tough.

Hottest team in the east. Had a 6-1 win against the Senators the other day. I believe they are also sporting the top ranked PP in the league with a healthy and productive Gagne back in the lineup.

Can't afford to give up five against them. Biron instead of a Pittsburgh-owned Kolzig.

FWIW, we have 5 wins against divisional opponents up to this point in the season......out of 16 games total. Definately not something to be proud of. :dang:

Lord Stiller
01-23-2008, 08:25 AM

It's definitely not out of the equation YET but we will see what happens in the next few weeks

and I think Jersey will have a say in winning the division, not just the Pens and Phillies

pittsburghp8baller
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Kennedy Out With Mononucleosis

Pittsburgh Penguins
Jan 23, 2008
11:04 AM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Tyler Kennedy will miss the YoungStars Game at the NHL All-Star Weekend in Atlanta this weekend due to mononucleosis, it was announced Wednesday by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Kennedy will be sidelined for an indefinite period of time.

Kennedy is in his first season with the Penguins and has scored 12 points (8+4) in 31 games played. He currently leads all NHL rookies with four game-winning goals. Kennedy was originally selected by the Penguins in the fourth round (99th overall) in the 2004 Entry Draft

Lord Stiller
01-23-2008, 01:50 PM

WTF?

He could be out a while with that, right?

HometownGal
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
WTF?

Yep. Most times, though the mono virus is never really 'cured' from the body, it can and usually is put into a "remission" of sorts. One of the major side effects of mono is debilitating fatigue. Recup usually takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks but the symptoms can last as long as 2-3 months. I hope Tyler recovers very soon.

83-Steelers-43
01-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Hell, why not? :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
WTF?

The Tribune-Review stated that he is "out indefinately". They are also stating that Colby Armstrong will play tomorrow night against the Flyers.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_548870.html

X-Terminator
01-24-2008, 12:53 AM
And things go from bad to worse...

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Penguins to open next season in Sweden
Thursday, January 24, 2008

PHILADELPHIA -- Official word that the Penguins will open next season with two games against Ottawa in Sweden is expected during this weekend's all-star activities in Atlanta.

The games between the Penguins and Senators will be Oct. 4 and 5 in Stockholm.

The New York Rangers and Tampa Bay are expected to play a two-game series in Prague, Czech Republic on the same dates.

The Penguins will play one exhibition game, and possibly more, in Europe before facing the Senators. An unconfirmed report in Canada said they will have at least one preseason game in Finland.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08024/851942-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Time for these guys to step up. Yeah Tyler and Sid are out, but it's a great chance for other guys to show what they can do.

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I think that it is nice that the NHL is going to Europe. Although I hope that the Pens have a few days off when they come back so that they can rest up from the time change. Although I think that it is poor planning on the part of the NHL to put the Ranger games on the same day.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 05:48 PM
I think that it is nice that the NHL is going to Europe. Although I hope that the Pens have a few days off when they come back so that they can rest up from the time change. Although I think that it is poor planning on the part of the NHL to put the Ranger games on the same day.

They'll probably give the Pens/Sens the same courtesy the Ducks Got this year.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Where is the hell is our offense? We need a goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:27 PM
1-0 Flyers. Pittsburgh-born Umberger burns us again. 4 of his 9 goals are against us. Conklin can only stop so many. The guy already made one miracle save. 9-1 Flyers in shots.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Got to score here.

Wow, our Offense is UGLY tonight.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Conklin can only do so much guys. YOU NEED TO SCORE GOALS!

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
We really need to have our defensde pick it up a notch.

We just can't sit around and hope that someone is going to score a goal for us, now that Crosby is out, we need out defense to step up and we need to keep the penalties to a minimun tonight.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM

We just can't sit around and hope that someone is going to score a goal for us, now that Crosby is out, we need out defense to step up and we need to keep the penalties to a minimun tonight.

Yeah, Philly takes advantage of them. BIG TIME!

Where's our offense? We need a goal. NOW!

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM

There is no doubt that we need to keep the penalties to a minimum tonight, but our offense is looking pathetic. We need pressure. Getting out shot.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Malkin scores. 1-1. SCM asked and he received..........as always.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHOTS AND SCORES!

Go Geno!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Malkin scores. 1-1. SCM asked and he received..........as always.

You should be happy 83. The more luck I have in asking, the better.

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I wish I had that kind of power to ask for goals and then get them

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
You should be happy 83. The more luck I have in asking, the better.

Oh I am very happy. You are like a Pittsburgh Penguin Miss Cleo draft pick. :cheers:

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
lmao, omg that is too funny. Atleast SCM is right Ms. Cleo is a fake.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:43 PM
lmao, omg that is too funny. Atleast SCM is right Ms. Cleo is a fake.

Hey!!! Don't bust on Miss Cleo. She will sic mid-evil on yo ass. Voodoo style!!!! She is the real deal, just like how Al Sharpton is a real reverend!!!!

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey!!! Don't bust on Miss Cleo. She will sic mid-evil on yo ass. Voodoo style!!!! She is the real deal, just like how Al Sharpton is a real reverend!!!!

I ain't afraid of Miss Cleo or Al they can bring the house and I will still win. :flap:

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
I ain't afraid of Miss Cleo

http://paranoiafiles.com/images/miss_cleo.gif CALL ME NOW FOR YOUR FREE ASS WHOOPIN!!!!

Trust me, you don't want Al Sharpton on your butt. You already see what's happening in the Hill District with the Penguins, city and state. Imagine having good ol' Al up here on yo ass. I would rather have a case of the crabs than have those people on my ass.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh I am very happy. You are like a Pittsburgh Penguin Miss Cleo draft pick. :cheers:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Good First Period. That last penalty call i'm not so sure about.

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Ain't that the truth, Al Sharpton is the worst person to get on your bad side.
Have the NAACP all on you, that is like a death sentence.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll definately take a 1-1 tie after one against this team. Thank God for Conklin. He's the only reason why we are not getting blown out of the water right now.

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
That is true, do you think that we would be in this position if Fleury was in net?

The Duke
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
nice 1st half, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. they need to score fast and get a good lead

Conklin, great job, just keep it going!

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:01 PM
That is true, do you think that we would be in this position if Fleury was in net?

Hypothetical question. Conklin is hot right now and has been since he stepped in and took Sabourin's job. At this point, I'll take my chances with a hot Conklin over anybody at this point. The score could easily be 3-1 Flyers right now.

MarylandSteeler
01-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for your insight 83 I am kinda new to hockey, so thanks

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:10 PM

We'll gladly welcome you on the Pens Bandwagon. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Where's our offense? We need a goal.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
So far so good this period. We're not letting them run wild. Let's just have the offense score a goal or 2 here.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Just giving my opinion.

The guy rarely gives up a rebound (unlike Fleury and Sabourin). I find myself not holding my breath when a guy takes a 20 foot shot on Conklin.

BTW, I hope you enjoy the sport. It truly is a great sport. Big heads, arrests every other week, steroids galore, coc*y and arrogant attitudes are considerably less compared to other sports. It's very refreshing.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Have to get better shots then that.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
So I guess we get some 4 on 4 now.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
This game is going to down to the wire. The Defenses are playing excellently.

The Duke
01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
This game is going to down to the wire. The Defenses are playing excellently.

definitely. it may just come down to the final second

MarylandSteeler
Just giving my opinion.

The guy rarely gives up a rebound (unlike Fleury and Sabourin). I find myself not holding my breath when a guy takes a 20 foot shot on Conklin.

BTW, I hope you enjoy the sport. It truly is a great sport. Big heads, arrests every other week, steroids galore, coc*y and arrogant attitudes are considerably less compared to other sports. It's very refreshing.

Plus I like the fact that you can just drop gloves with a guy and beat the crap out of each other, because I am new I love sitting with my boyfriend (who turned me on to pittsburgh sports because he is from pittsburgh) and watching some of the older fights on youtube. I love that. Plus I also love the excitement and the fact that the game is fast paced.

SteelCityMan786
GET THE PUCK OUT OF THE DEFENSIVE ZONE.

At least we killed the PP.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
This is what happens when you play with your head up your ass.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
2-1 Flyers. Keep giving these teams PP goals. Good luck. Granted, it wasn't a PP goal, but the PK unit was still out there and they were tired. Now, the offense needs to step up. You are not going to beat many teams by scoring one goal. Score some goals.

The Duke
01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
dammit

we need a score!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Would someone tell Talbot to take it out on opposing teams DURING PLAY not AFTER.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:31 PM
dammit

we need a score!

This is what happens against these teams when you do not capitalize on momentum.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Where is this offense tonight? We need a goal RIGHT NOW!

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Plus I like the fact that you can just drop gloves with a guy and beat the crap out of each other, because I am new I love sitting with my boyfriend (who turned me on to pittsburgh sports because he is from pittsburgh) and watching some of the older fights on youtube. I love that. Plus I also love the excitement and the fact that the game is fast paced.

Fighting is a fun part of the game and can change the face of a game, unless you think like Bob Smizik who used to hump McClatchy's leg on a regular basis. Enough said.

I'm glad that you enjoy the sport. Winter time in Pittsburgh is excellent. Steelers football and Penguins hockey, it doesn't get any better than that. Summer time......well, I suggest vacation time.

The game is ten times better since Bettman installed the cap and started making the officials call the game the way it is supposed to be called. People still hate Bettman, I'm still trying to figure out that one.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Do the refs know what Goaltender interference is?

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Where is this offense tonight?

Out until March. :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:38 PM
It should be a 5 on 3 right now.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Out until March. :wink02:

Hopefully it was out until the last faceoff.(Not reffering to Crosby)

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
wat a shot by gonchar!

83-Steelers-43
2-2 tie. Nice. Hang in there. Unfortunately, lots of time in this one.

The Duke
yes!

keep it up!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:41 PM
NICE WORK SERGEI!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:42 PM
2-2 tie. Nice. Hang in there. Unfortunately, lots of time in this one.

Not to mention, this period.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
CRUNCH! too bad thats prob gonna cost laraque the game and maybe a little more

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Laraque with the stupid penalty. Dumb. Gives Philly a PP to begin the 3rd with a fresh sheet of ice.

It's not like the guy turned his back at the last second, Laraque saw his number the whole way.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Laraque with the stupid penalty. Dumb. Gives Philly a PP to begin the 3rd with a fresh sheet of ice.

It's not like the guy turned his back at the last second, Laraque saw his number the whole way.

Not to mention he should NOT have shoved him.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 08:46 PM
shorthanded for five minutes... not good.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I wish that some of these guys WOULD JUST SHUT UP!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
shorthanded for five minutes... not good.

Yeah this one is a major, and he has to serve all 5. can't be freed after scoring.

Cote just got a game misconduct. I will NOT be surprised if the Refs give out 6 tonight. 3 to each team.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah this one is a major, and he has to serve all 5. can't be freed after scoring.

Cote just got a game misconduct. I will NOT be surprised if the Refs give out 6 tonight. 3 to each team.

at least 6. how many were given out last game and their were no hits like that to get things all heated

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
at least 6. how many were given out last game and their were no hits like that to get things all heated

I think they gave out 1/2 of that. I know Jaarko and I believe that Christensen got one to.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I think they gave out 1/2 of that. I know Jaarko and I believe that Christensen got one to.

it was whitney after his fight

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 08:51 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how many games Laraque is suspended for after that cheap hit. That goonish hit still has my blood boiling. Just dumb.

Our PK has looked surprisingly good tonight, but giving that Flyer team chance after chance is playing with fire. They do not have the #1 ranked PP in the league for nothing.

BTW.....

NJ up 3-2 on Montreal in period 3.

Boston beating NYI 4-0 in period 3.

NYR and Atlanta are 0-0 after 1.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 08:55 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how many games Laraque is suspended for after that cheap hit. That goonish hit still has my blood boiling. Just dumb.

Our PK has looked surprisingly good tonight, but giving that Flyer team chance after chance is playing with fire. They do not have the #1 ranked PP in the league for nothing.

it will be some games but no more than 10 if u ask me. if it was more serious than it would be alot. id say 3-5 with 10 being the extreme

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 08:59 PM
it will be some games but no more than 10 if u ask me. if it was more serious than it would be alot. id say 3-5 with 10 being the extreme

I think he misses next week and is back for the Feb. 4 game against the Devils if suspended.

X-Terminator
01-24-2008, 09:00 PM
If he gets more games than Kovalchuk got for his hit, which was worse in the fact that he LAUNCHED himself into Roszival from behind, or more than Randy Jones, who only got 3 games for the same kind of hit that ended Patrice Bergeron's season and maybe even his career, I'll be pretty pissed. 1 or 2 games, max. Anything more is bullshit.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:00 PM

Kovalchuk only got one game.

Still a stupid penalty on Laraque's part. My guess is 3-4 games. If it were up to me, it would be alot more. I don't care if it's a Penguin player, Flyer player or Avalanche player putting that hit on somebody. The chance of paralyzing a guy is enough to convince me that it should be more games.

Now, I can understand if a player turned his back at the last second. It's hard to pull up in that situation. There is no excuse for hitting a guy from behind and putting his skull into the boards. They teach it in midget league for Pete's sake. They actually have stop signs on the back of jersey's.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Kovalchuk only got one game.

My guess is 3-4 games. If it were up to me, it would be alot more. I don't care if it's a Penguin player, Flyer player or Avalanche player putting that hit on somebody. The chance of paralyzing a guy is enough to convince me that it should be more games.

Now, I can understand if a player turned his back at the last second. It's hard to pull up in that situation. There is no excuse for hitting a guy from behind and putting his skull into the boards. They teach it in midget league for Pete's sake. They actually have stop signs on the back of jersey's.

Todd Bertuzi knows where you're going probably with your said suspension.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Come on PK!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I guess Laraque is not finishing the game. I think I heard before the start of the period through the Flyers PA that Taffe is serving the rest of the penalty.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
3 Minutes off the penalty and counting.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Conklin might have drawn a penalty for himself.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
3-2 Philly on the PP. There it is. Thank you Georges.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Goal WHITNEY!!!

They might be checking this one. Looked like a goal

pittsburghp8baller
this will be reviewed no doubt

SteelCityMan786
3-2 Philly on the PP. There it is. Thank you Georges.

Could have been worse.

SCORES!

The Duke
at least they scored

83-Steelers-43
It's close, but looks like the net is up but not off. Should be a goal IMO.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:12 PM
It's close, but looks like the net is up but not off. Should be a goal IMO.

Bob said if up but not off it's a goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
And once again, we have a tie hockey game. Good call up in Toronto.

pittsburghp8baller
it counts

SteelCityMan786
NICE! WE'RE TIED UP!

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Flyers take the lead. 4-3. Nice to see Scuderi move Knuble in front of the net. Knuble might as well set up shop in front of Conklin.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
And like that, it's screwed.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
NICE! WE'RE TIED UP!

not no more. dam it!!!

The Duke
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
oh man, defense is not looking good

SteelCityMan786
We need some goals here.

The Duke
We need some goals here.

yeah, like 3 or 4

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
yeah, like 3 or 4

Good luck doing that with no Sid.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
yeah, like 3 or 4

How about we try getting 1 first. 1 at a time is a good thing to try to do.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Do not scare us like that again Conklin.

83-Steelers-43
WOW, did we luck out there. Hit the C-bar.

The Duke
Good luck doing that with no Sid.

yep, and defense is not helping out either

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:19 PM

I'm more worried about trying to get to 4-4 first.

The Duke
01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm more worried about trying to get to 4-4 first.

yeah, you're right

let's just hope for the best

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:20 PM

Giving up 4 or 5 to Washington? We might get by and grab a point.

Giving up 4 or 5 to Philly? Not good.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:21 PM
And one more game misconduct was issued.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Nice P-C by Conklin. Another nice save on Umberger...lol. Jesus. Show some offense. Conklin with another nice save.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Giving up 4 or 5 to Washington? We might get by and grab a point.

Giving up 4 or 5 to Philly? Not good.

Usually you'll get points out of this Philly team if the Goaltending stinks that night when they score 4 or 5.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Nice P-C by Conklin. Another nice save on Umberger...lol. Jesus. Show some offense. Conklin with another nice save.

Where is our offense. We need a goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Usually you'll get points out of this Philly team if the Goaltending stinks that night when they score 4 or 5.

Unfortunately, they now have Biron and he has done pretty good against us this year.....3-0 against us this year.

Game #1 - Flyers goaltending gave up 1 goal.

Game #2 - Flyers goaltending gave up 2 goals.

Game #3 - Flyers goaltending gave up 2 goals.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Lucky Bum.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Unfortunately, they now have Biron and he has done pretty good against us this year.....3-0 against us this year.

Game #1 - Flyers goaltending gave up 1 goal.

Game #2 - Flyers goaltending gave up 2 goals.

Game #3 - Flyers goaltending gave up 2 goals.

This game has been his worst and STILL makes some big plays.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Let's Go Pens!!! Put on some heat. We have our #1 line out and we can't break out. Pathetic really.

SteelCityMan786
GET THE PUCK OUT OF THERE!

83-Steelers-43
The Penguins are playing like they have the 4-3 lead.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:32 PM
The Penguins are playing like they have the 4-3 lead.

Just without an ability to score.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Okay boys..........1:22. Get it deep, pull Conklin, put men in front of the net, bring it back to the point and shoot away.

The Duke
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
need a score now!!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Come on Pens. Let's take advantage of the extra man.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Malone took a penalty. Game over. Scratch that man advantage.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Flyers win in regulation 4-3. Now 0-4 against the Flyers and three more games on the road.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:49 PM
We have the 29th against Jersey, the Thrashers on the 30th, and Carolina on the 2nd. Going to need to take 4-5 out of 6. Preferably ALL 6!

X-Terminator
01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Gee, another loss.

Get used to it.

The Duke
01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Gee, another loss.

Get used to it.

I'm not losing hope........yet

but yeah rough weeks are ahead of this team

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
We have the 29th against Jersey, the Thrashers on the 30th, and Carolina on the 2nd. Going to need to take 4-5 out of 6. Preferably ALL 6!

Jersey is not going to be easy. Lately, the Thrashers have been playing pretty bad hockey. Definately a possible two right there. Carolina has won 2 of last 7. Possible two right there.

Never know, but divisional teams give us hell. Jersey had fun with Philly the other night, beating them 7-3.

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Jersey is not going to be easy. Lately, the Thrashers have been playing pretty bad hockey. Definately a possible two right there. Carolina has won 2 of last 7. Possible two right there.

Never know, but divisional teams give us hell. Jersey had fun with Philly the other night, beating them 7-3.

Yeah and we have to go to Jersey, that one is always a dosey.

HometownGal
01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Gee, another loss.

Get used to it.

Don't get me started. 1-1-1 after 3 games without Sid isn't the freakin' end of the world - or their season. :banging:

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Don't get me started. 1-1-1 after 3 games without Sid isn't the freakin' end of the world - or their season. :banging:

Amen to that. We're going to need to see how they pan out in the next 7 games at least before we panic.

X-Terminator
01-25-2008, 12:54 AM

Seriously, aren't you worried at all about the state of the team? That we have 5 key players out, including the best player in the world? That a third of the current roster are recent call-ups from WBS? That we are playing with not just 6 healthy defensemen, but 6 defensemen total on the roster (God help us if one of them gets hurt)? Ty Conklin had better stand on his head every night, because with the complete lack of scoring punch on our forward lines after the top line, he has no room for error if they're to have a chance to win every night. I foresee a LOT of 2-1, 3-2 hockey games for the next 2 months, and unfortunately, I see us on the wrong side of quite a few of them. Where are we going to get goals from? I don't like being a doom-and-gloomer, but when I look at the state of the team right now, I just don't see much I can be confident in. We don't have a lot of depth at all - we aren't the Ottawa Senators. All I can hope for is that we at least stay close enough in the playoff race that we can make a push at the end of the season when Sid comes back, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Seriously, aren't you worried at all about the state of the team? That we have 5 key players out, including the best player in the world? That a third of the current roster are recent call-ups from WBS? That we are playing with not just 6 healthy defensemen, but 6 defensemen total on the roster (God help us if one of them gets hurt)? Ty Conklin had better stand on his head every night, because with the complete lack of scoring punch on our forward lines after the top line, he has no room for error if they're to have a chance to win every night. I foresee a LOT of 2-1, 3-2 hockey games for the next 2 months, and unfortunately, I see us on the wrong side of quite a few of them. Where are we going to get goals from? I don't like being a doom-and-gloomer, but when I look at the state of the team right now, I just don't see much I can be confident in. We don't have a lot of depth at all - we aren't the Ottawa Senators. All I can hope for is that we at least stay close enough in the playoff race that we can make a push at the end of the season when Sid comes back, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

No - I am NOT worried about the state of the team after 1 loss in their last 3 games without these 5 key players. I'm not going to push the panic button this soon - that is ridiculous. They've scored 8 goals in their last 2 games - not bad for a team with so many key injuries, and not all of those goals came from the top line. I don't have a crystal ball to see how the team is going to play over the next couple of months and neither do you. What I do have is some faith in these guys and the coaching staff that they will keep stepping it up, find a way to remain competititve and notch some wins while they await their walking wounded returning to the lineup. Good teams overcome adversity and I believe we have enough solid players to keep this team's head above water. Sorry that you don't agree, but hey - different strokes for different folks.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Flyers win in regulation 4-3. Now 0-4 against the Flyers and three more games on the road.

Scratch that, two more away games before we come back home to play Carolina. My bad.

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Amen to that. We're going to need to see how they pan out in the next 7 games at least before we panic.

With a division as tight as the Atlantic (5 points separating first and last place), I'm not going to panic for quite a while yet. :smile:

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
With a division as tight as the Atlantic (5 points separating first and last place), I'm not going to panic for quite a while yet. :smile:

I'm too stubborn to do just that. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm too stubborn to do just that. :thumbsup:

Stubborn is a-ok .:thumbsup: It's the FWF's I have absolutely no tolerance for in any sport. It's refreshing to read your posts and to see someone else with a positive 'tude around here. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Stubborn is a-ok .:thumbsup: It's the FWF's I have absolutely no tolerance for in any sport. It's refreshing to read your posts and to see someone else with a positive 'tude around here. :cheers:

It's a great thing to.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 09:30 PM
And in other news, it seems like the Pens are liking what they see out of Filewich...

Pens reassign Minard, Brent and Stone
By The Tribune-Review
Friday, January 25, 2008

The Penguins have reassigned forwards Chris Minard, Tim Brent, and Ryan Stone to AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Stone appeared in four games following his recall by the Penguins on Jan. 7.

Minard and Brent each appeared in one game after being recalled on Jan. 20.

The Pens resume play following the NHL All-Star break on Tuesday night at New Jersey.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_549263.html

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
And in other news, it seems like the Pens are liking what they see out of Filewich...

Pens reassign Minard, Brent and Stone
By The Tribune-Review
Friday, January 25, 2008

The Penguins have reassigned forwards Chris Minard, Tim Brent, and Ryan Stone to AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Stone appeared in four games following his recall by the Penguins on Jan. 7.

Minard and Brent each appeared in one game after being recalled on Jan. 20.

The Pens resume play following the NHL All-Star break on Tuesday night at New Jersey.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_549263.html

The man almost scored his first NHL Goal last night. So I guess that was enough for them.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
The man almost scored his first NHL Goal last night. So I guess that was enough for them.

I think his speed and physical play also plays a factor. I think they sent the other three down for the All-Star break. I'm sure they will bring them back up.

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
It's official: Pens to play 2 in Sweden
Saturday, January 26, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ATLANTA - The NHL today made it official that Sidney Crosby and the Penguins will open the 2008-09 season with two games in Stockholm, Sweden, against the Ottawa Senators. They will be played Oct. 4-5.

"It's a hockey hotbed, so it will be very exciting," team CEO Ken Sawyer said at Philips Arena, site of tomorrow night's All-Star Game.

"We're the best draw, I think, in the league in North America, so we'll be a big draw over there."

On the same nights, the New York Rangers and Tampa Bay Lightning will open the season in Prague, Czech Republic. The games will be staged as doubleheaders for television.

The Penguins might play an exhibition game in Europe prior to the games in Stockholm.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08026/852539-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Do not exactly understand the point of this move. It didn't work out the first time. Nor has it worked out for five other teams in this season alone. Three teams in three weeks. I guess only time will tell...

Penguins sign center Kris Beech
Saturday, January 26, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ATLANTA -- The Penguins today claimed 6-foot-3 center Kris Beech off waivers from Washington.

This will be Beech's second tenure with the Penguins. He was part of a noted trade that sent Jaromir Jagr to Washington.

Beech had 10 goals, 27 points in 95 games with the Penguins between 2001 and 2004 before he was traded to Nashville.

The move comes as the Penguins are missing forwards because of injury.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08026/852541-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2008, 08:05 PM
He was part of a noted trade that sent Jaromir Jagr to Washington.

That was a gem of a trade. I'm still thanking Craig for gracing us with the likes of Ross Lupaschuk, Kris Beech and Michael Sivek in exchange for one of the most talented players in the league.

Get rid of this Shero bum and bring back CP!!! :cheer:

83-Steelers-43
01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Who didn't see this coming?

Players complain about European games
By The Associated Press
Sunday, January 27, 2008

ATLANTA -- Basking in the spotlight of its All-Star game, the NHL decided Saturday was the perfect time to unveil a big announcement for the start of next season: Four teams will get the honor of opening in Europe.

Maybe the league should have made sure the players were on board.

Saying there were still details to be worked out, the leader of the NHL Players' Association objected to the league announcing two games would be played in both Prague and Stockholm to start the 2008-09 season.

Commissioner Gary Bettman said the New York Rangers are scheduled to meet the Tampa Bay Lightning at Sazka Arena in the Czech Republic, while the Ottawa Senators would face off against the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Globe Arena in Sweden's capital city.

The games would be played Oct. 4 and 5 -- assuming the Players' Association signs off on the plans.

That might be a problem. Paul Kelly, the NHLPA's executive director, said he was aware of the European games but warned the league not to make a firm announcement until the two sides worked out all details.

"If they want the Players' Association to be a true business partner, then they have to include us in discussions about these matters at the earliest stages," Kelly said. "We shouldn't read about it in the press and we shouldn't find about it after the fact."

Kelly said he was approached by league officials Friday night and asked to sign off on the European games, which would mark the second straight year the NHL has opened its season on the other side of the Atlantic.

His response: "Look guys, you know we have a lot of details to work out. Travel, promotional issues, NHLPA involvement, accommodations, the schedule, etc. So there's still lots of details to work out, but if you want to announce it generally, that's fine.'

The NHL sure made it sound like a done deal during Bettman's state of the league address, which followed the Board of Governors approving the Prague and Stockholm games during its morning meeting at a ritzy hotel in downtown Atlanta.

"We'll start next season with doubleheaders in two international venues," Bettman said on the eve of the All-Star game. "We're all pretty excited about that."

The league didn't sound nearly as excited after Kelly's objections.

"There seems to have been a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. "We felt the PA had specifically authorized today's announcement. We'll address it directly with Paul and try to make sure it doesn't happen again."

The league clearly wants to showcase some of its top players, such as Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby, Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson and Tampa Bay's Vincent Lecavalier.

Of course, the top draw in Prague would be New York's Jaromir Jagr -- if he's still with the Rangers. The Czech standout could become a free agent after this season.

Still, the Rangers are excited to be part of the European trip, said Glen Sather, the team's president and general manager.

"It's a chance to experience another culture, another way of life," he said. "You may never get a chance to do it again."

The NHL opened its current season in London. The Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks played the Los Angeles Kings before two sellout crowds at O2 Arena.

Not surprisingly, Alfredsson welcomed the idea of playing in his home country.

"I am really looking forward to it," he said. "There is going to be a lot of interest. Of course, us being one of the better teams in the league playing against Crosby, going against the face of the league, it's going to get a lot of attention."

As part of the European trip, the NHL also announced the Rangers would meet European club champion Metallurg Magnitogorsk of Russia on Oct. 1 for the inaugural Victoria Cup in Bern, Switzerland.

There again, the Players' Association said it hasn't agreed to the exhibition game.

"Did I know that they had the Victoria Cup on the drawing board and the Rangers on the drawing board? Yes, I did," Kelly said. "Did I know that they were going to announce it today? No, I didn't."

On other issues that didn't raise a fuss, Bettman said the owners:

• Discussed a proposal by the Players' Association to increase the regular-season schedule from 82 to 84 games, while reducing the number of exhibition contests, but aren't ready to vote on the issue.

• Talked about plans for another outdoor game that would build on the success of the New Year's Day contest in snowy Buffalo. The commissioner stressed that "it's not something we want to overdo. If we do it in the future, we want it to remain special."

• Aren't ready to award three points instead of two for a regulation win, feeling it might make teams more conservative in the third period of a close game.

• Continue to hear from prospective cities about relocation or expansion, including Las Vegas, Seattle and Winnipeg, but haven't set any timeline for moving into new markets.

As for the Victoria Cup, Kelly said he thought it was on the back burner while the league tried to work out a player transfer agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation.

The IIHF is organizing the game -- named after the Montreal arena where the first organized game was held in 1875 -- as part of its 100th anniversary celebration. The organization hopes to make the Victoria Cup an annual event between the European champ and an NHL challenger.

"Frankly," Kelly said, "the last I know, Bill Daly had said the NHL hasn't committed to playing in the Victoria Cup because we're still dealing international transfer issues and the like. So that one was a surprise."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_549545.html

SteelCityMan786
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Can't say I didn't see it coming. I knew they'd have no trouble outdoors, but in Europe?

83-Steelers-43
01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
And our luck continues.....

The All-Star break was a chance for most of the Penguins not on the injured reserve list to refresh physically and mentally -- until the run of bad news continued when Colby Armstrong came down with the flu and will miss the road trip to New Jersey and Atlanta.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08029/852960-61.stm

Nathan Smith's NHL career spans four games with the Vancouver Canucks, the club that drafted him in the first round of the 2000 draft. But he was signed as a free agent in the offseason and will get a chance to pay dividends in tonight's game against the Devils after being recalled from Wilkes-Barre.

"What works best for players is to play their own game. I'm not going to try to do too much offensively. I have to keep the game simple," said Smith, who had 34 points in 44 games while serving as captain of the Baby Penguins.

Smith was brought up yesterday along with Alain Nasreddine, who appeared in four games earlier this season in a stint in Pittsburgh. And although the spate of call-ups means the parent club is going through a rash of injuries and ailments, it has had a positive impact on players in the minors.

"You have a lot of guys getting a taste of the NHL. Guys down there are definitely motivated. They're working hard to get their turn," Smith said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08029/852945-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Next week in Penguins injury news:

Kris "The Next Ron Francis" Beech pulls a groin after a night with KDKA news anchorwoman Sonni Abbata.

SteelCityMan786
01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Next week in Penguins injury news:

Kris "The Next Ron Francis" Beech pulls a groin after a night with KDKA news anchorwoman Sonni Abbata.

Wouldn't stun me if this happens.

Here's to a win over the Devils.

Duh, Duh, Duh, Duh, Duh Duh Duh Duh

LET'S GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
01-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Nice way to come out of a break. 4-2 win.

The Duke
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Nice way to come out of a break. 4-2 win.

now they just have to keep the thrashers losing streak alive

SteelCityMan786
01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
now they just have to keep the thrashers losing streak alive

Atlanta could be rusty to.

Lord Stiller
01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Solid effort by the Pens. The last 3 goals were pretty nice. Jersey's second goal was a fluke. Conklin was solid once again

HometownGal
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Solid effort by the Pens. The last 3 goals were pretty nice. Jersey's second goal was a fluke. Conklin was solid once again

Most definitely! :cheers: I was hoping Bugsy would get his hat trick, but he's saving it for another night. :thumbsup: Conklin was awesome.

I loved how the Pens gave the Devils a taste of their own medicine in the 3rd by playing the trap. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM

It's nice to see contributions by Staal, Malone and Christensen. Imagine if they kept up that type of play when Crosby eventually returns? Staal using his big frame to charge the front of the net. Malone causing havoc in front of the net. Christensen showing signs once again of what he's capable of doing.

Conklin looked great.....again. First goal, the defense let Rupp park himself and hack away. Second goal he didn't have a chance. Not having Jay Pandolfo and Jamie Langenbrunner hurts that jersey team.

Lord Stiller
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
uhoh, looks like Sabu is going to start tonight http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_549914.html?source=rss&feed=8

steelpride12
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow were so banged up we had a defensemen playing left wing!
Injuries def. have been the story of the year, but a surprise that the Pens are still red hot, and i give all the credit to Conks!
He keeps an amaing 1.97 GAA which is amazing and riding him all year will get us a solid playoff spot!

steelpride12
01-30-2008, 02:57 PM
uhoh, looks like Sabu is going to start tonight http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_549914.html?source=rss&feed=8

Thats pretty surprising def. with the fact Conks does not need a rest and could easily have another great game, but hey lets give Sabu some luck and the rest of the team as well.
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Most definitely! :cheers: I was hoping Bugsy would get his hat trick, but he's saving it for another night. :thumbsup: Conklin was awesome.

I loved how the Pens gave the Devils a taste of their own medicine in the 3rd by playing the trap. :sofunny:

Those Doubting Dons' were saying. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
2-0 Thrashers after one. Offense looks horrible. Whitney caught standing around in front of Conklin on Holik's goal.

Team looks flat tonight......against a Thrasher team that is currently struggling. Hopefully that changes in period two.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:04 PM
What is that? Sykora's sixth, seventh chance tonight?

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Ruutu hit Kovalchuk. Looks like a knee injury to Kovalchuk. Left the ice. Atlanta fans are booing Ruutu, but it was a clean hit. Ruutu went to hit him and Kovalchuk moved over and they connected knee's.

They are giving Ruutu a five minute penalty and game misconduct. My question, if Kovalchuk hit Ruutu, would it be 5 and a game misconduct? Strongly doubt it. B.S. call.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:21 PM
What is that? Sykora's sixth, seventh chance tonight?

Add Gonchar to the list of blown chances tonight. Christ ol' mighty. Still 2-0.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Where's the offense? We need a goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Conklin making the big saves to keep this game in a two goal reach. No offense tonight. No desire.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Sykora misses another one right in front....lol. Wow. Kovalchuk is back on the bench. Another Penguin penalty coming up. Gonchar.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Orpik to Smith for his first NHL goal. 2-1 Thrashers with 2:10 left in the second period. Big goal. Breath off it.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice. We get a goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice. We get a goal.

Maybe. Being reviewed. IMO, no kicking motion, should be a goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:41 PM
No goal.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Maybe. Being reviewed. IMO, no kicking motion, should be a goal.

Well the Refs hated us there. No Kicking Motion.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
0 for 3 on the PP after two periods. Still only 2-0 thanks to Conklin. Should be 4-0 at this point. Offense needs to wake up and put those chances away.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
And Kovalchuk is now out and will not return for the third period.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Penguins were on the PP, Gonchar mishandled the puck (shocker) and Dupuis scored on the breakaway.

Good job. 3-0 Trashers. What a shame, we had a chance on that PP to build on something and then Gonchar gives up a SH goal.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Any type of momentum or will to win coming out in that third period was killed on that Thrashers SH goal.

It is now 4-0 Thrashers. Sabourin coming in for Conklin.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Conklin I think should have got a night off. Back to back nights is a lot to ask of a goalie.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Conklin I think should have got a night off. Back to back nights is a lot to ask of a goalie.

From what I saw....

First goal, we let Holik (much like Rupp last night) control the front of our net. Whitney was standing there with his thumb up his arse.

Second goal, we are on the PK and the one player on that team who we should be shadowing (Kovalchuk), we leave wide open at the point to wind up and take a slapper.

Third goal, Gonchar decided to play for the other team again. Breakaway goal.

Fourth goal, he made a hell of a save on the first shot, just couldn't get over to get the second one.

Glad to see them take him out. Rest him up for Saturday. Team continues to play the way they did tonight, he's going to need it.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:19 PM
4-1. Whitney scores. Too little, too late.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice, TIME TO START REELING THEM IN!

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Pens lose 4-1. Did not move up to first tonight. On to Carolina.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Pens lose 4-1. Did not move up to first tonight. On to Carolina.

and to a hopeful win Saturday.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
and to a hopeful win tomorrow.

Pens are off until Saturday (Carolina).

But yeah, here's to beating the Hurricanes in our house this weekend. :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Trade rumors.....

#9: Martin Gelinas: 69.2
He has the experience needed to help the right team in need. Look to Ottawa and Pittsburgh.

#6: Vinny Prospal: 71.6
A poor man's Briere, it is not shocking to hear his name mentioned in Buffalo. Pittsburgh has been mentioned a bit as of late along with Ottawa and St. Louis.

#1: Rob Blake: 86.3
The NY Rangers and Detroit Red Wings are leading this charge. Pittsburgh is another possibility...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=12891

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Pens are off until Saturday (Carolina).

But yeah, here's to beating the Hurricanes in our house this weekend. :cheers:

Typo. :dang:

steelpride12
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Injuries are def. going to haunt us if we do not get people back soon.
Also what i am seeing is the penalty's def. the 4 min. ones are killing the Pens almost every game with us being ranked 21st on the PPK which is below average.

steelpride12
01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
No Conks should not be traded or sat out since he has had one bad game over a 15 game span. Everyone has their bad nights and it was Conks and those break away's and long penalties def. don't help him out, and without the physical Eaton out there the defense is very beatable!

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Sounds like WBS/Scranton material....

Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider on January 31st, 2008

The Pens have just made a minor trade with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forward David Gove from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Joe Jensen.

Gove has played 45 games this season scoring 23 points (eight goals, 15 assists) for the Albany River Rats, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes. He made his NHL debut with the Hurricanes during the 2005-06 season recording an assist in one game played for the club. Gove also appeared in one game for Carolina during the 2006-07 season. He has played parts of seven seasons in the AHL scoring 198 points (80 goals, 118 assists) in 393 games. Gove will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AHL).

Jensen was originally selected by the Penguins in the eighth round (232nd overall) of the 2003 NHL Draft. He recorded four points (two goals, two assists) in 27 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season.

http://www.pittsburghsportsinsider.com/?p=2014#more-2014

Assets: Displays sound playmaking qualities from the wing position. Is considered an industrious forward with a sound work rate.

Flaws: Lacks ideal size for the highest level, and must avoid the journeyman label. Is not a natural goal-scorer.

Career potential: Reserve forward.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5493&hubname=nhl-hurricanes

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
No Conks should not be traded or sat out since he has had one bad game over a 15 game span.

Personally, I didn't think he played that bad of a game. Kept it close up until the third period and that's when Gonchar had one of his brain farts. The two he let in before Gonchar's brain fart were not his fault.

I've already heard one fan inquire about Ray Emery's services. It's crazy. The guy was a trouble making cancer in Ottawa (fighting with coaching staff/players, showing up late for practice), who needs that?

Ray Emery was quoted as saying....."Practice? We are talking about practice man. Practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game, but practice man. Practice. Practice." :wink02:

Sorry.

Anyways, it's amazing what some fans will say after one loss. If anything, they should worry more about shopping for a defenseman, not a goalie who has saved our ass on more than one occasion this year.

Ray freakin' Emery....:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Emery is only going to benefit us for like maybe a year. Fleury will be back well before the end.

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Emery is only going to benefit us for like maybe a year. Fleury will be back well before the end.

Emery was T.O. in Ottawa because he lost his starting job to Gerber. Imagine if the guy would lose his job to Conklin in Pittsburgh? We all know Therrien goes with the hot hand and up to this point it has been Conklin. Emery would find himself in the same situation that he was in up in Ottawa. His underachieving butt would be sitting the bench while Conklin stands on his head.

Nevermind the guys T.O. attitude and personality, his numbers were below average this season. He was benched for a reason. I would rather ride Conklin and wait until Fleury returns. Goaltending should be this teams last concern at this point in time.

This is all I need to know about this guy.....

He threw his stick in the stands after a morning skate, angry that he wasn't starting that night's game. He also fought teammate Brian McGrattan in practice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3221516

Lord Stiller
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM

I think once Fleury gets back we will be fine. Conks will still be our guy and maybe the demotion to Fleury will make him work harder at being better

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
You would think the second coming of Wayne Gretzky is arriving in Pittburgh going by the amount of stories and updates on the guy, but Kris Beech has arrived in Pittsburgh after having visa problems.

The Penguins Savior and "the next Ron Francis" is ours!!!!.................again.

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2008, 06:42 PM
And he is now being interviewed by Stan Savern....lol. WTF?

Hey, he's a nice guy from what I've seen and heard, God bless him, but I've never seen a Penguin waiver signing (a player who has underachieved) get this much attention.

BTW, Colby is playing tomorrow night. Beech will not play.

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Looks like Fleury is on his back soon. :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08032/853928-61.stm
Fleury to test ankle in practice today
Friday, February 01, 2008

The prognosis when Marc-Andre Fleury injured his right ankle Dec. 6 in Calgary -- that he wouldn't be able to play for six or eight weeks -- seemed rather bleak.

Turns out it was overly optimistic.

But while week nine of Fleury's absence begins today, so does a significant step in his return from a high ankle sprain: He is scheduled to participate in at least part of the Penguins' practice at Mellon Arena this morning, the first time he has been able to do so since being injured.

The decision to have him work out with his teammates was made after Fleury got through a fairly demanding session with goalie coach Gilles Meloche and several staff members before the Penguins' informal practice yesterday at Mellon Arena.

"It's not 100 percent," Fleury said. "But it's getting better."

Although there still is no target date for Fleury to be back in uniform -- even without a setback, his remaining absence likely will be measured in weeks -- forwards Colby Armstrong and Adam Hall skated yesterday and said they could return as early as tomorrow, when Carolina visits Mellon Arena.

Armstrong missed the past two games because of a gastrointestinal ailment, and Hall sat out the past four because of a sore groin. Neither is a lock to face the Hurricanes, but neither has ruled it out, and Armstrong said "it's looking pretty good" for him to play then.

Armstrong, who doesn't carry any extra weight, lost about 5 pounds while he was ill, mostly because he was unable to keep food down for several days.

He stayed on the ice with assistant coach Mike Yeo after practice, which consisted mostly of a casual four-on-four scrimmage, for extra work in an effort to prepare him for a conventional workout today.

"It was good to get a sweat when I was actually doing something," Armstrong said.

He added that, although his energy level is down, a blood test has confirmed that, unlike teammate Tyler Kennedy, he does not have mononucleosis.

"I was thankful for that," Armstrong said.

Armstrong was stricken during the All-Star break last weekend and did not begin to get over his illness until midweek.

"I had my first good day [Wednesday]," he said. "I'd been pretty much bedridden the [previous] few days."

Hall didn't have to deal with that but has had to proceed cautiously since a groin problem forced him out of the Penguins' 2-0 victory Jan. 19 in Montreal. The practice yesterday was the most strenuous test his injury has had to date.

"You just have to see how it feels and take it step by step," Hall said. "The good news is, I feel like it's strengthening, getting stronger, so I just have to keep building it up.

"It's a gradual thing. You don't want to overextend and reinjure it, and set yourself back. But, at the same time, you want to push it a little harder each day."

He added that "I'm getting closer and closer to game shape," but declined to saw how close to normal his conditioning is because "that's something you never know until you get back."

Fleury's conditioning isn't an issue just yet; a more pressing concern is how his ankle will hold up under the demands of the butterfly style he plays. Being able to push off hard to return to an upright position after dropping into the butterfly is imperative, and Fleury was able to do it yesterday with no major difficulty.

"[There was] no sharp pain," Meloche said. "Just normal pain from not practicing, and scar tissue and stuff like that.

"He was moving well. When he gets in a real practice, then we'll know about his timing and conditioning. I guess his stamina would be pretty good, because he's worked pretty hard [off the ice]."

Fleury, of course, has had plenty of time to do that. More than most people anticipated when he was injured nearly two months ago.

?

NOTES -- The Penguins acquired minor-league forward David Gove from the Carolina Hurricanes organization last night in exchange for minor-league center Joe Jensen. Gove will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. ... Center Kris Beech, claimed on waivers from Washington last week, was supposed to skate yesterday after finally resolving his immigration issues, but did not have a physical in time to do so. He is expected to practice today, but it is not known if he will dress for the Carolina game.

SteelCityMan786
02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08033/854311-61.stm
Penguins Notebook: Fleury continues to make progress
Saturday, February 02, 2008

OK, so this was just another step in Marc-Andre Fleury's return to the Penguins' lineup.

The important thing is, he took it. And it didn't hurt.

Fleury, out since Dec. 6 because of a high ankle sprain in his right leg, practiced with his teammates yesterday for the first time since being injured, and apparently got through the hour-long workout without anything resembling a setback.

"It was nice to just see him there," coach Michel Therrien said. "He's been out of the lineup for such a long time."

Although the Penguins do not have a target date for Fleury to be back in uniform, he seems optimistic that projections he will be out another 10 to 14 days are too conservative.

"I'm happy," Fleury said. "It's gotten a lot better lately."

While acknowledging that he needed a little longer than usual to get loose yesterday, Fleury didn't seem concerned about it.

"The first couple of drills, it was a little rougher when I'd first go down," he said. "But then, after a while, I got warmed up, and it felt better."
Armstrong's return likely

Penguins forwards Colby Armstrong, who missed the past two games because of a gastrointestinal illness, and Adam Hall, who missed the past four because of a sore groin, could return to the lineup tonight after making it through the workout yesterday unscathed.

"We'll see how they react to the practice," Therrien said. "If they're ready to play, they'll play."

Armstrong looks like a near-lock to play, while Hall's status is a bit less certain.

"I felt good out there," Armstrong said. "I'm feeling better every day."

Hall was fully involved in every aspect of the workout and reported no major difficulty.

"I'm encouraged," he said. "This was my first full practice, getting timing back and battling one-on-one with guys.

"It's still sore and stuff, when you really get down and push off, that first push. I'll talk to the trainers, and we'll make a decision [about playing tonight]."

No punishment for Ruutu

Forget a fine or a suspension.

Penguins winger Jarkko Ruutu didn't get so much as a phone call, let alone any form of punishment, from the NHL for his knee-to-knee hit on Atlanta left winger Ilya Kovalchuk Wednesday.

"I didn't expect [to hear from the league], either," Ruutu said yesterday.

Replays suggested that two major penalties assessed to Ruutu in connection with the incident -- one for kneeing, for his hit on Kovalchuk, and the other for fighting, after Atlanta defenseman Steve McCarthy sought to avenge Kovalchuk by pummeling Ruutu -- were suspect, at best.

Ruutu, though, said he is not interested in trying to get the league to strike either from his record.

"The fighting major I got, I'm sure that could be taken back, but I don't think it really matters," he said. "The game is over."

SteelCityMan786
02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm stunned that Ruutu didn't get at least fined.

SteelCityMan786
02-02-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08033/854307-61.stm

New Penguin Beech hopes return ends days of bouncing around NHL
Saturday, February 02, 2008

Kris Beech will spend the Penguins' game against Carolina tonight at Mellon Arena in the press box.

Or perhaps in the workout room.

Or maybe in the seats.

It likely doesn't matter much. As long as he isn't on waivers, Beech isn't likely to complain.

He practiced with the Penguins for the first time yesterday, six days after they claimed him on waivers from Washington. Which had gotten him on waivers from Vancouver three days earlier. Which had gotten him -- you guessed it -- on waivers Jan. 10 from Columbus.

"It's the most bizarre circumstances I've ever seen," Beech said yesterday. "I've never seen anyone go on waivers three times in three weeks, and be picked up three times. It's probably happened before, but I've never seen it."

What he has seen before are a lot of the faces in the Penguins' locker room. This is Beech's second stint with the Penguins -- he was the centerpiece of the package they got from the Washington Capitals for Jaromir Jagr in 2001 -- so he has a history with many of his teammates.

And even his coach, Michel Therrien, who was with Beech on the Penguins' minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre.

"To come back to a team where you don't have to get to know everybody, and to step into a system you're familiar with is definitely a lot easier," Beech said.

"I had [Therrien] for two years. The practices haven't changed. I could pretty much predict what drill was next."

The practice yesterday was Beech's first in 10 days; precisely when he'll be ready to move into the lineup isn't clear.

"After a few days, I should be all right," he said.

Therrien raised the possibility of using Beech when the Penguins visit New Jersey Monday night, but stressed that he will not play him until Beech is ready.

"We want to give him a fair chance to succeed," he said. "We want to take our time."

The Penguins brought Beech back, at least in part, because of their recent spate of injuries to forwards. His challenge is to convince them to keep him on their 23-man roster even after the players they're missing return.

"He's a smart player," Therrien said. "I know what he's capable of doing. He's got skill around the net.

"He's an offensive guy, but he has to adjust his role to the NHL. He has to play well at both ends of the ice. He could bring some offense, and he has to be solid defensively."

Beech said he has not been told exactly what the Penguins want from him, but that his goal is to "just play how I've been playing. I can't do anything else. I haven't been unhappy with how I've played this year at all."

Beech, an unrestricted free agent, signed a one-year contract with Columbus in August. He had five goals and four assists in 16 games with the Blue Jackets before they waived him, then put up one goal and one assist in four games with the Canucks.

"Both captains on both teams I've been on this year [Adam Foote in Columbus and Markus Naslund in Vancouver], after [Beech was a healthy scratch], said I should be in the lineup," Beech said. "And the next day, I'm on waivers. I seemed to be gaining the players' respect on those two teams."

Beech's most productive seasons in the NHL, at least offensively, were 2001-02, when he had 10 goals and 15 assists in 79 games with the Penguins, and 2006-07, when he had eight goals and 18 assists in 64 games with Washington.

Statistics -- and frequent address changes -- aside, Beech believes his work this season is "some of the best hockey I've played at this level so far." Coincidentally or otherwise, his plus-minus rating in 20 games is a career-best plus-4.

"I'm happy with how I've played this year," he said. "There was maybe one game I can think of where I was completely unhappy with myself. I've been playing well."

Well enough that he doesn't have to battle to maintain a positive mind-set.

"You can't get down on yourself," Beech said. "Some things aren't necessarily in your control, and I realize that. I realized that awhile ago.

"I just try to do my best when I get a chance. That's all you can do."

SteelCityMan786
02-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Refer to last post for link
Scouting Report
*Matchup: Carolina Hurricanes at Penguins, 7:38 p.m. today, Mellon Arena.
* TV, radio: FSN Pittsburgh; WXDX-FM (105.9).
* Probable goaltenders: Ty Conklin for Penguins. Cam Ward for Hurricanes.
* Penguins: Are trying to avoid losing consecutive games in regulation for first time since Dec. 11-13. ... RW Petr Sykora needs three points for 600 in NHL. ... Are 17-5-3 record when scoring first.
* Hurricanes: Are 1-0-1 against Penguins, including 4-3 shootout loss Oct. 19 at Mellon Arena. ... LW Ray Whitney has four-game scoring streak. ... Scored power-play goal in six of past seven games.
* Hidden stat: Carolina's penalty-killing ranks last in NHL, but Hurricanes have allowed just one goal in 15 shorthanded situations the past five games.

83-Steelers-43
02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm stunned that Ruutu didn't get at least fined.

I think after the NHL saw the actual hit, they realized that it wasn't worth a 5 minute penalty and game misconduct, let alone a fine.

It was clear as day. Ruutu went to hit Kovalchuk, he moved out of the way and Ruutu got a piece of his leg. The only reason Ruutu received a penalty in the first place was because it was Kovalchuk who he attempted to check.

Good to see the NHL make the correct and obvious decision.

pittsburghp8baller
02-02-2008, 01:16 PM
the ruutu was not on purpose and didnt deserve anything but maybe a 2 minute kneeing penalty. its funny because of the rep ruutu has every1 else in the NHL that didnt see the game but saw the hit figured that it was on purpose. i was watching the caps/habs game and the two play by play were going on and on about how dirty that hit was and how ruutu will more than likely be suspended. ive always thought the two to be idiots (living in the DC area ive seen a lot of caps games) and this is another incident when they prove me right.

cant wait to see kris beech suit up. he has really made some strides (not much though) since we cut him the first time

HometownGal
02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Just got home from the game and what an awesome game it was! :thumbsup: 4 goals scored by the Pens in under 13 minutes in the 3rd period. They looked a bit lethargic in the first period but midway through the second, started to come to life and it was an all Pens show from that point on! Conklin, as usual, was excellent in goal. Kudos guys! :cheers:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/85500/85630OTvs_w.jpg

:wink02::wink02:

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Just got home from the game and what an awesome game it was! :thumbsup: 4 goals scored by the Pens in under 13 minutes in the 3rd period. They looked a bit lethargic in the first period but midway through the second, started to come to life and it was an all Pens show from that point on! Conklin, as usual, was excellent in goal. Kudos guys! :cheers:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/85500/85630OTvs_w.jpg

:wink02::wink02:

Man, what a day.

1.) Punxsy Phil predicts a longer winter(Good and Bad)
2.) Duke knocks off Miami(FL)
3.) Penn State upsets Michigan State
4.) Pens come back and win.

This has been absolutely one of the best days of my life.

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Played a great third period and Conklin played great for all three periods. Malkin made up for his sloppy play in the first by scoring a beauty. Both Christensen and Sykora scored, but both could have came away from that game with three a piece. It was also nice to see Cole and Orpik finally settle their differences.

And it's always nice to hear some Pens fans boo while we are only down by one. Guy behind me (who is never at the games, figures) started booing after we didn't score on our 4 minutes PP. I guess since Jagr wasn't around? Real classy, keep it up guys. :thumbsup:

Anyways, on to New Jersey.

HometownGal
02-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Man, what a day.

1.) Punxsy Phil predicts a longer winter(Good and Bad)
2.) Duke knocks off Miami(FL)
3.) Penn State upsets Michigan State
4.) Pens come back and win.

This has been absolutely one of the best days of my life.

Awesome, Matt! I'm happy you had such a great day! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Conklin has been great, but it's Fleury's time now
Sunday, February 03, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This has very little to do with Ty Conklin fishing four pucks out of his net in Atlanta Wednesday night or the fact he had lost five of his seven previous decisions before playing great again last night in the 4-1 win against the Carolina Hurricanes. The man deserves all the credit in the world for saving the Penguins' season after Marc-Andre Fleury's ankle injury. Not only did the team start to roll when Conklin came up from the minor leagues and took over as goaltender, management didn't have to give up anything in a trade to replace Fleury.

The organization always will be indebted to him for getting it through a major crisis.

Still, the time has just about come for Fleury to move back into the lineup. Out since Dec. 6, he practiced with the team for the first time Friday and came through the work just fine. Although he won't play in the game at New Jersey tomorrow night, he could get a start in the Penguins' four-game home stand that begins Thursday night with a game against the New York Islanders.

It can't come soon enough for Fleury. "I've missed hockey so much," he said last week.

It also can't come soon enough for the Penguins. He is a better goaltender than Conklin. He has to be the Penguins' guy, for the rest of this season and for seasons to come.

Surprisingly, a lot of people around here don't seem to get that. For more than a month, they have been fretting about what Penguins coach Michel Therrien should do when Fleury comes back. More than a few actually have suggested the team trade Fleury and go with Conklin. There is a word to describe those people -- foolish.

Fleury is 23, the No. 1 player picked in the 2003 draft. He won 40 games last season. He might have been the Penguins' best player in their playoff series loss to the Ottawa Senators. He gives them their best chance to compete for the Stanley Cup.

Conklin will be 32 next month and is a career journeyman. Although he went on the run of his life -- he won his first nine starts after taking over for Dany Sabourin, who struggled as Fleury's replacement -- there's no indication he'll be able to maintain anything even close to that high level of play.

That's why Fleury's return is coming at just the right time. With Sidney Crosby out, the games are going to come down to how many goals the Penguins give up, not how many they score. Fleury should be able to give the team a huge lift.

Fleury is buoyed by the fact that the biggest games are ahead. He knows he has a chance to salvage what has been a lost season. He struggled in the early games and was benched in favor of Sabourin on more than one occasion. Just when he started playing well -- he won four consecutive games, allowing zero, one, one and two goals -- his ankle was injured in a game at Calgary.

Fleury never imagined eight-plus weeks could be such a long time.

"It's hard because you're away from the guys," he said. "You get here early and you leave early. You hardly see anyone. Then, you have to watch the games on TV. ...

"All you can do is work out and try to stay in the best shape you can. And you have to keep your mind busy. You can't be thinking all the time about what you're missing."

Thank goodness for Fleury's collection of "Lost" episodes.

"I like that show," he said, grinning.

There won't be much TV-watching time in Fleury's future as long as he stays healthy. Carrying the Penguins down the stretch and into the playoffs should keep him plenty occupied.

If that's not enough motivation, Fleury has more because he's playing for a contract. He'll be a restricted free agent after this season, although the Penguins retain his rights for the next two seasons and can match any offer he receives. He'll also be eligible for salary arbitration. He knows the better he plays in the next few months, the more he'll make in his next deal.

"I'm not thinking about that so much right now," Fleury said. "All I want to do is start playing again, win some games and get to the playoffs."

Fleury is the right man for the job.

Conklin got the Penguins to this point, thank you very much.

Now, it's Fleury's turn.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08034/854493-87.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2008, 10:03 AM
This has very little to do with Ty Conklin fishing four pucks out of his net in Atlanta Wednesday night

You sure about that? Heard a little bit of grumbling coming from the Penguin "fans" after that loss.

Still, the time has just about come for Fleury to move back into the lineup.

Now why would you do such a thing when you have Conklin keeping this team in every game?

He is a better goaltender than Conklin. He has to be the Penguins' guy, for the rest of this season and for seasons to come.

Surprisingly, a lot of people around here don't seem to get that.

I don't forget it. I'm just keeping in mind that Conklin is our hot guy right now and has been since Fleury went down. I agree completely that Fleury is our goalie of the future, but we are winning right now with Conklin. What happened to riding the hot goalie?

For more than a month, they have been fretting about what Penguins coach Michel Therrien should do when Fleury comes back.

Easy. Start Conklin. Use Fleury as a #2 until Conklin cools off and dump Sabourin. If we are lucky, Sabourin will clear waivers and be sent to WBS/Scranton. What's the problem? No "fretting" here.

More than a few actually have suggested the team trade Fleury and go with Conklin. There is a word to describe those people -- foolish.

You can say that again. At the same time, I'm not exactly shocked.

Conklin will be 32 next month and is a career journeyman. Although he went on the run of his life -- he won his first nine starts after taking over for Dany Sabourin, who struggled as Fleury's replacement -- there's no indication he'll be able to maintain anything even close to that high level of play.

And once again, Conklin's age is brought to light. Goalies can last. His age means nothing. He might not be able to maintain his high level of play, but he's hanging in there right now and he's played a hell of alot better than Sabourin.

the games are going to come down to how many goals the Penguins give up, not how many they score.

For the most part, Conklin has done a pretty damn good job at keeping teams from running up scores. If he hasn't, we wouldn't be having this debate.

Fleury is the right man for the job.

When Conklin shows signs of not being able to hold down the fort any longer, I agree 100%. Once again, Fleury is our man, but Conklin is our man right now.

Conklin got the Penguins to this point, thank you very much.

And let's thank him by pulling him and throwing Fleury back in there while Conklin is playing great hockey. Makes sense.

Now, it's Fleury's turn.

I'm praying that Therrien does not agree. While Therrien had no problem benching Conklin and starting Sabourin after one bad game (that worked out real well), I have a feeling he will give Fleury the nod when he returns.

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Awesome, Matt! I'm happy you had such a great day! :cheers:

Thanks, it's good when you have been suffering so many times on the wrong end of the stick particularly with PSU Men's Basketball.

As for the Pens, The Cardiac Kids struck again!

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Pens send 2 back to Wilkes-Barre
Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Penguins returned right winger Jonathan Filewich and defenseman Alain Nasreddine to their farm team in Wilkes-Barre today.

Filewich did not have a point in four games with the Penguins, while Nasreddine was scoreless in two.

The Penguins will visit New Jersey tomorrow at 7:08 p.m.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08034/854515-100.stm

steelpride12
02-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Pens played in my eyes amazing third period to help them overcome a one point lead, and once again great goal tending by Conks.
Conks nevers fails to amaze me and his shot of talent is helping the team look past injuries and get us on the right track!
Malkin's goal reminded me just of Crosby and how much he loved to split the D with his speed, but he is really picking up his slack and the Pens look red hot!
GO PENS! :)

HometownGal
02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Pens played in my eyes amazing third period to help them overcome a one point lead, and once again great goal tending by Conks.
Conks nevers fails to amaze me and his shot of talent is helping the team look past injuries and get us on the right track!
Malkin's goal reminded me just of Crosby and how much he loved to split the D with his speed, but he is really picking up his slack and the Pens look red hot!
GO PENS! :)

The Pens are holding their own without their superstar and are getting the job done with their young guns. Sid has to be pretty proud of these guys - I know I sure am! :cheers:

As for Conklin - I think Ron Cook had an extra cup of stupid this morning. Why on earth would Therrien pull a goalie who has performed so well and has played a huge part in keeping the Pens in the games he's played since he took over the regular goaltending duties? :dang: I believe Therrien will stick with Conklin when Fleury is ready to come back, as I don't see him benching the hot pads, but I also think Fleury will play ever 3rd or 4th game until Conklin hits a bad streak - if he does. Yes - Fleury is our franchise goaltender, but you don't pull a player who is having enormous success (at any position) unless they struggle over a period of games or injure themselves.

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
The Pens are holding their own without their superstar and are getting the job done with their young guns. Sid has to be pretty proud of these guys - I know I sure am! :cheers:

As for Conklin - I think Ron Cook had an extra cup of stupid this morning. Why on earth would Therrien pull a goalie who has performed so well and has played a huge part in keeping the Pens in the games he's played since he took over the regular goaltending duties? :dang: I believe Therrien will stick with Conklin when Fleury is ready to come back, as I don't see him benching the hot pads, but I also think Fleury will play ever 3rd or 4th game until Conklin hits a bad streak - if he does. Yes - Fleury is our franchise goaltender, but you don't pull a player who is having enormous success (at any position) unless they struggle over a period of games or injure themselves.

Amen to that, I see no reason to pull him. Especially since Fleury needs to get some strength on him. I would get him a couple of starts before April and the Stanley Cup Playoffs gets in gear. Sabo though is in the process as we speak getting fitted for his equipment that he will use as a member of the Baby Pens.

Lord Stiller
02-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Conklin's play this year has been better than any stretch of Fleury's career by far