PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Lord Stiller
02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Important game tonight against the Devils and its on Versus!!

pittsburghp8baller
02-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Conklin's play this year has been better than any stretch of Fleury's career by far

and this is the best stretch of games that conklin has had in his career. there is a reason why he has been used mainly as a backup. it is only a matter of time he wont keep it forever. i hate to say it because i love wat conklin has done for us this year he has kept us in the playoff race but i would like to see fleury get some time in so he can be fresh when conklin starts to fade

any1 know when kris beech will be playing his first game? will it be tonight?

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
any1 know when kris beech will be playing his first game? will it be tonight?

He's not playing tonight. I have not heard word on when he will play his first game. We also called Ryan Stone back up from WBS.

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Where is the offense? We need a goal now.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
1-0 Pens on the PP goal by Malone. Nice to finally see more consistency out of Malone. It's about time.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice. 2-0 Pens on a deflected Sykora wrister. Team is playing a great defensive game with Conklin making key saves (as usual).

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
They heard me awhile ago, it's just taken awhile for them to fufil.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Man, Christensen set Staal up beautifully on a 2 on 1 and Staal completely missed the net. A 3-0 lead would be nice.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 07:37 PM
It is now 2-1 Pens. Jersey scores with under a minute left in the second. Four Pens standing around our net with Langenbrunner and Parise skating around untouched.

That's why I wanted a three goal lead before the second ended.

steelpride12
02-04-2008, 07:40 PM
2-1 end of second period Pens with the lead.
Goals by Malone in front of the net and Sykora from long distance land deflected in all in the second period.
O YEA CONGRATS PETR SYKORA FOR 600TH NHL POINT!
Pens give up goal with seconds left in second to make it 2-1!
Go Pens

steelpride12
02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Pens still have some momentum with almost 30 shots already Broduer is just a beast and could easily be 5-2 Pens.
More shots and less silly penalties from mainly Eric Christensen would also help with the pens looking to regain the divison!
Ryan Malone had an ok fight its always nice to see the gloves drop!

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
They heard me awhile ago, it's just taken awhile for them to fufil.

Keep asking. We are going to need a few more. NJ is going into the second intermission with a good amount of momentum and confidence after scoring that late one in the second while almost scoring a second goal in the final seconds.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Nice. And Jordan Staal redeemed himself. 3-1 Pens. Way to make up for your missed opportunity.

Devils score. Now 3-2 Pens with 10:23 left in the third.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
And Jersey ties it up at 3-3. Wow. As of right now, Ryan Malone is not on the bench. We are short a man. No word on his situation.

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Where is our offense? We need a goal.

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Sweet Save By Conklin.

Where is our offense? We need a goal again

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
GREAT save by conklin.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
And instead of taking two points and going home, we are giving NJ at least one tonight. Here comes OT.

steelpride12
02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Dam Pens always blow a 2 point lead from 3-1 to give the devils a 3-3 game tye going into overtime with the third period goal coming from Jordan Staal early on.
Pens with a win can take over first place in the tight division and be in second place in the eastern conference,
GO PENS!

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Jersey wins in OT. 3 way tie for division lead. Well, we blew that game.

steelpride12
02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
BLOWN GAME!
Pens lose 4-3 in quick OT loss as they blow a 3-1 lead early in the third thank god we still got a point! :(

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
And all three of the New Jersey fans in attendance are happy tonight. Team is tied for first. They have a brand new arena and they can hardly pack 13,000 fans. I have a ton of respect for the New Jersey Devils organization and team, but WTH is up with the fans?

Two points down the drain in a closely contested division. Blah.

X-Terminator
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Can't blow leads like that, especially against a Devils team that has struggled to score goals all year. We got a point, but it's a bad loss and another division loss.

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
BLOWN GAME!
Pens lose 4-3 in quick OT loss as they blow a 3-1 lead early in the third thank god we still got a point! :(

You can say that again.

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
You can say that again.

After they gave up that late goal in the second, they were in trouble. Momentum shift and they ended up playing like shit in the third.

Lord Stiller
02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Pens simply ran out of gas. We dominated for 2 periods.

83-Steelers-43
02-05-2008, 07:02 AM
:nw:

Would absolutely love to see it.

Local group bidding to host college hockey championship "Frozen Four"
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh's new arena doesn't have walls or a name yet, but plans are under way to try to lure a major event to the venue.

Robert Morris University and VisitPittsburgh, with strong support and input from the Penguins, are preparing a bid to play host to the 2013 Frozen Four, the NCAA hockey equivalent of basketball's Final Four.

It's believed it would be the first time in half a century that an NCAA champion is crowned in Pittsburgh. The NCAA men's gymnastics finals were at Fitzgerald Field House in 1963.

"It would be a great thing for everybody involved," Colonials men's hockey coach Derek Schooley said yesterday. "Pittsburgh is doing a great job with all the new facilities. It seems only natural to continue to put quality events in the new arena."

The new building, across the street from Mellon Arena, is scheduled to open for the Penguins' 2010-11 season. The team has informed the NHL it would like to bring a league All-Star Game and/or entry draft to the new arena after it opens, but the push for the Frozen Four is the first formal bid being assembled.

Representatives from Robert Morris, VisitPittsburgh and the Penguins met last week to discuss the state of the plans.

"We've talked about this for a while preliminarily," said Tom McMillan, Penguins vice president for communications. "It's an indication that having a new arena can bring in these types of events."

McMillan was probably the first one to toss out the idea, though no one seems to remember the exact genesis. The Penguins reached out to Robert Morris when the school was organizing its hockey program. The men's team began playing in 2004-05.

"We were very excited that a local school was playing Division I hockey," McMillan said. "We like hockey at all levels, and that was one area we didn't have."

In late March 2004, not long before the start of a lockout that wiped out the 2004-05 NHL season, the Penguins invited Schooley and a few Robert Morris athletic administrators to a game at Mellon Arena.

"We started talking partnerships and hockey," said Marty Galosi, Robert Morris associate athletic director for marketing and sales.

That led to the Colonials playing Notre Dame at Mellon Arena last season and Ohio State this season. Now it has spawned the bidding process for the Frozen Four.

"Hockey fans are so into their niche, a lot of people come to this even if their team is not in it," Galosi said. "The fans get fired up. We all feel strongly about our town. This will bring a lot of visitors."

The Frozen Four sites are determined through 2012. The dates for 2013 are April 10 and 13, which means the college games could be worked into a busy week with Penguins playoff games.

Four of the next five Frozen Four sites are NHL arenas, including this year at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

Submitting a bid for an NCAA tournament or championship event is a long, complex process.

Robert Morris, VisitPittsburgh and the Penguins will soon send letters to the NCAA, which officially will solicit bids in fall 2009.

The bids are due in spring 2010, with a presentation to the NCAA in summer 2010. Robert Morris and VisitPittsburgh will make the bid, but the Penguins will be heavily involved. VisitPittsburgh, formerly the Greater Pittsburgh Convention & Visitors Bureau, is the official tourist promotion agency of Allegheny County.

"We're still in the beginning stages," Schooley said. "There's a lot of work to be done just to get heard."

Galosi said Robert Morris officials have had conversations with athletic directors of schools that have sponsored the Frozen Four. In April, he and Jennifer Hawkins of VisitPittsburgh are scheduled to attend the Frozen Four in Denver to gather information.

Several regional rounds of NCAA tournaments in various sports have been played in the area over the years. In March, Pitt was the host for early rounds of the NCAA women's basketball tournament at the Petersen Events Center. Duquesne sponsored NCAA regional men's basketball games in 2002 and women's regionals in '01 at what was then called Civic Arena, now Mellon Arena.

The bid for a Frozen Four ramps things up with national semifinals and a final.

"This will be a feather in the cap of Robert Morris and the city," McMillan said. "For a school that didn't have a hockey program a handful of years ago to now putting together what we think will be a very good bid for a Frozen Four, that says something."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08036/854852-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Penguins recall defenseman Goligoski
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have recalled defenseman Alex Goligoski from their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm team today.

In 43 games with the Baby Penguins this season, Goligoski has six goals, 11 assists and 17 points. His six goals and five power play goals lead Baby Penguins' defensemen. Recently, Goligoski was selected to play for the PlanetUSA squad at the AHL All-Star Classic.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08036/854927-100.stm

Lord Stiller
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
did you guys hear Therrien blam the loss on Ryan Whitney playing soft and not clearing out the crease?

could be trade bait. Whitney has some nice offensive skills but we need a tough guy on D or we are not going far in the playoffs

We dont have much else to trade. We would be stupid to trade guys like Staal or EC.

83-Steelers-43
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
IMO, Whitney's defensive play has been pretty bad this season. I'm hoping the shot in the paper by Therrien this morning and maybe a nice benching will send him a very clear message.

Personally, I don't see the Pens using Whitney as trade bait. He's still young (24) and I find it hard to believe the Pens would give up on a former #5 overall draft pick.

Lord Stiller
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_550804.html

"It's unacceptable to lose a hockey game like this. Unacceptable," Therrien said. "A guy like (defenseman) Ryan Whitney, he's going to have to be more aggressive around the net. He's not aggressive at all. It cost us the game."

83-Steelers-43
02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
It's unacceptable to lose a hockey game like this. Unacceptable," Therrien said. "A guy like (defenseman) Ryan Whitney, he's going to have to be more aggressive around the net. He's not aggressive at all. It cost us the game.

And it didn't just start with last night's game......

2-0 Thrashers after one. Offense looks horrible. Whitney caught standing around in front of Conklin on Holik's goal.

For a guy who is 6'4" 219, there is no excuse for Whitney not to be able to play a physical game. If Orpik supposedly "fell out of favor" with the coaching staff, how in the hell has Whitney gone this far w/o getting benched? Granted, Whitney brings offensive talent to the position compared to Orpik, but even Whitney's offensive play has dropped this season. At least Orpik brings the physical aspect to the table.

It's not exactly breaking news (to me at least), that opposing players have been able to skate and park in front of our net untouched. Rupp, Langenbrunner, Parise and Holik come to mind. In all fairness to Whitney, he's not the only defenseman on this team who tends to shy away from physical play in front of the net.

Well, hope to see Goligoski play well. I've been anxiously waiting to see how he performs at the NHL level.

steelpride12
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I love seem Therrien fired up about something and prob. waking this team up off their asses.
Ryan Whitney played amazing in the beg. of the season, but has played anything but good of lately and that could cost him on the roster, but i don't see him getting traded i still think he has it in him!

X-Terminator
02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I love seem Therrien fired up about something and prob. waking this team up off their asses.
Ryan Whitney played amazing in the beg. of the season, but has played anything but good of lately and that could cost him on the roster, but i don't see him getting traded i still think he has it in him!

He signed a 6-year, $24 million deal last summer, so he's not going anywhere. He might want to call his old college coach at BU and ask for his balls back, however. For a guy his size, he's one of the softest players in the league. Does not take the body at all, ever. But Goligoski is nowhere near NHL-ready, and with him being a soft, smallish defenseman, he's the exact opposite of what we need right now. Bringing him up at this point makes no sense.

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM

It also seems like Rob Rossi is not exactly thrilled with Therrien calling out Whitney in particular. Like I said, I have no problem with Therrien benching Whitney and giving him a few nights off, but I'm not exactly crazy about Therrien singling out one player in the media when it's not just Whitney who shy's away from playing the body. Bench him and sit him a few nights if you want, but calling him out and singling him out in the media is a move I do not agree with for the most part.

I think at times, Therrien is quick to pull the trigger on benchings and calling out players in the media for the whole city to read. I can name a few other defenseman on this roster who lack physical play when needed, but I guess since one happens to be a 'veteran', it's no big deal.

While at times it does work in a positive manner, he has to watch he doesn't go overboard. He could end up losing that locker room if he doesn't watch it.

From Rossi (also heard his comments yesterday on the radio)....

There is no evidence the Penguins' promotion Tuesday of top prospect Alex Goligoski indicates coach Michel Therrien is displeased with his defense corps.

"He was going up anyway," Penguins director of player development Tom Fitzgerald said. "There has been a lot of thought put into this."

Therrien, though, seemingly is unhappy with defensemen Brooks Orpik and Ryan Whitney.

Orpik was the only defenseman asked to play two games as a left wing Jan. 29 and 30 when the Penguins were shorthanded at forward due to illness and injury -- an assignment Orpik accepted willingly, though not happily.

More recently, Whitney was criticized by Therrien after the Penguins blew a two-goal lead in the third period of a 4-3 overtime loss Monday night in New Jersey.

Therrien termed that loss "unacceptable." Then, without prodding, he blamed the loss on Whitney -- a minus-1 against the Devils and a minus-4 the past three games after rating even-or-better in 15 of 16 previous contests.

"A player like Ryan Whitney ... he (must) get more aggressive around the net," Therrien said Monday. "He was not aggressive at all. It cost us the game."

Whitney is unsure if he will be in the lineup Thursday night when the Penguins face the New York Islanders at Mellon Arena. The Penguins were off yesterday, but will practice today -- and Therrien could pay particular attention to the 22-year-old Goligoski, who impressed as a first-year pro with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL.

"He has made great strides," Fitzgerald said of Goligoski, a left-handed shooting defenseman with high offensive upside.

Too tough?

Coach Michel Therrien is not above showing his players an oft-unpopular brand of tough love. He has previously benched forwards Erik Christensen and Colby Armstrong and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury for inconsistent and unsatisfactory play. Lately, he seems unhappy with defensemen Brooks Orpik and Ryan Whitney. A statistical look at those two players over the past 10 games:

Player - Games - Avg. ice time - Season Avg. - Plus/Minus

*Orpik - 10 / 13:32 / 16:16 / -4

Whitney - 10 / 23:30 / 23:09 / 1

*Oprik played two games at left wing and averaged 7:03 of ice time while registering a minus-1 plus/minus rating.

Source: NHL

Goligoski, an AHL All-Star last month, scored six goals, recorded 17 points and registered a plus-5 in 43 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He was a second-round pick, 61st overall, in the 2004 entry draft. He signed with the Penguins this summer after a standout collegiate career at the University of Minnesota.
Fitzgerald said Goligoski's performance in the minors merited his promotion.

"I don't think it had anything to do with (Monday)," Fitzgerald said.

Goligoski gives the Penguins seven defensemen, including another rookie with limited professional experience, Kris Letang.

The Penguins are home for eight consecutive days, and it is possible Goligoski's promotion will simply provide management an opportunity to assess one of the organization's top prospects.

General manager Ray Shero is in Boston for the annual "Beanpot" collegiate hockey tournament involving Boston University, Boston College, Harvard and Northeastern.

Fitzgerald, who lives in the Boston area, suggested Goligoski is not ready to "play a lot" in the NHL. Goligoski's AHL coach, Todd Richards, seemed to echo that sentiment.

"He's got those offensive instincts that you want defensemen to have in today's NHL," Richards said. "He can get a little bit stronger. He gets to go (to Pittsburgh), practice with the guys ... and, hopefully, he gets to put on a jersey and get into a game."

If that scenario plays out, it is likely Therrien would sit Whitney, who last summer signed a six-year contract worth $24 million, or Orpik, an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Orpik, the Penguins' most physical defenseman, has played 18 or more minutes in just three of the past 17 games. He played at least 18 minutes in 14 of 28 games to open the season before he was a healthy scratch in Vancouver on Dec. 8.

Orpik did not dress in Boston on Dec. 20 -- the start of a three-game stretch of being a healthy scratch. He has played fewer than 15 minutes in six games since returning from that benching Dec. 27.

He has not publicly complained about his diminished role. However, he was bemused when approached by coaches to temporarily play left wing.

"I can't argue with it," Orpik said. "I just kind of go with it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_550940.html

X-Terminator
02-06-2008, 11:03 AM
did you guys hear Therrien blam the loss on Ryan Whitney playing soft and not clearing out the crease?

could be trade bait. Whitney has some nice offensive skills but we need a tough guy on D or we are not going far in the playoffs

We dont have much else to trade. We would be stupid to trade guys like Staal or EC.

I personally would not mind trading Christensen if we can get a physical D-man in return. Staal, however, would be untouchable.

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 11:22 AM
More trade rumors....

The Buffalo Sabres aren't making progress in contract negotiations with defenceman Brian Campbell and could shop him by the deadline rather than risk losing him for nothing this summer. "The Sharks, Senators, Penguins, Canucks, Rangers and Bruins have all made pitches for Campbell. The asking price: A player, prospect and No. 1 pick".

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Sabres official word is they hope to re-sign him. They also don't have to move him by the deadline as they could still shop him in June if he's determined to become a UFA.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...rs&Itemid=9

Good luck with that bidding war.

Unless we plan on trading Gonchar (+ prospects/picks) and his fat salary, good luck. Personally, I would be willing to trade Gonchar (+ prospects/picks) away for Campbell in a heart beat. A better overall defenseman, he's younger (28) and it's not like we don't have enough offensive-minded defenseman. Dump Gonchar's salary and age for a younger defenseman. I'm game. Unfortunately, I don't think the Sabres would be willing to take that trade.

Olli Jokinen: He is also a VERY strong bet to be moved. The Flames, Sabres, Montreal, Toronto, Dallas, and Penguins....

Rob Blake: Again, he is a player that will only go to a Contender. The Sharks, Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Sabres, and Blue Jackets are all possibles

Dan Boyle: Word on the street is that the new possible ownership in Tampa is very high on keeping the big three plus Boyle together. The Sabres of course want Dan, as do the San Jose Sharks. Also add to that list Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Philly.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13112

Jokinen, another center? Also shoots left. At $5.5 million? No thanks.

No to Blake. Enough already with this one. The guy is pushing 39.

I would rather have Campbell over Boyle.

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Sidney Crosby resumes skating
Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Penguins center Sidney Crosby began skating this week while the team was on the road and did so again today before the team's practice at Mellon Arena. There is no indication that the timetable for his return has changed. Crosby, out with a high ankle sprain, is expected back in March.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08037/855203-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
IMO, another one who's on the same level as Rob Blake. Philly can have him, my guess is that he will be out with an injury before the playoffs even begin...

Q: What do you think the chances are that the Penguins would try to sign Peter Forsberg? He could either be a rent-a-player for the rest of the season or he could sign a multi-year contract, and the Pens don't have to trade draft picks or important players.

Justin Sobieralski, Pittsburgh

MOLINARI: It seems a virtual certainty that Forsberg will be back in the NHL in the near future, but it also seems fairly clear that he doesn't have any interest in playing for the Penguins, regardless of whether they would be inclined to sign him. Philadelphia is widely regarded as the frontrunner to get him, although there are reports of numerous clubs -- from Detroit to Vancouver, Ottawa to Colorado -- making a pitch for him.

Forsberg apparently would like to sign a contract for 2008-09 as well as the balance of this season, and it remains to be seen what impact, if any, that will have on the offers he receives because of the effect a seven-figure salary for him could have on clubs that project themselves to be near the still-to-be-determined salary-cap limit for next season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08037/855118-125.stm

Lord Stiller
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Good luck with that bidding war.

Unless we plan on trading Gonchar (+ prospects/picks) and his fat salary, good luck. Personally, I would be willing to trade Gonchar (+ prospects/picks) away for Campbell in a heart beat. A better overall defenseman, he's younger (28) and it's not like we don't have enough offensive-minded defenseman. Dump Gonchar's salary and age for a younger defenseman. I'm game. Unfortunately, I don't think the Sabres would be willing to take that trade.

I would also like that trade id Campbell is as good as advertised

We would still have 2 other offensive mided defensemen (Whitney and Letang). We need a tough Defenseman to make it far in the playoffs. I like Gonchar but he is expendable. How many times have we seen a goal directly off a Gonchar turnover? a lot

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 12:16 PM

We would still have 2 other offensive mided defensemen (Whitney and Letang). We need a tough Defenseman to make it far in the playoffs. I like Gonchar but he is expendable. How many times have we seen a goal directly off a Gonchar turnover? a lot

Offensively, over the last 2 seasons he's posted 44 points and 48 points and he's on pace for 55 points this season. Plays a solid two-way game. Depending on the bidding war, he would probably make around what Gonchar is making right now ($5.0/$5.5). The difference being he's five years younger than Gonchar and he plays a stronger and more physical defense than Gonchar.

I think he would be a welcoming addition, all I gotta say about his physical play.....

ryeIO36Mqw4 "The Hit" on Umberger
Yl_be9tc-DM on Bulis
JbYknhY9dA0 on Ovechkin

I think it's safe to say "enough said".

SteelCityMan786
02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08037/855094-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Letang's new priority is shooting more
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kris Letang was viewed as a major addition when he joined to the Penguins' lineup earlier this season.

Not only because he has impressive skills and enormous potential, but also because he is a right-handed shot, a relatively rare thing in the NHL

Well, Letang has exceeded expectations in a lot of ways -- his defensive work and physical play have been better than anticipated -- and he still is right-handed, but shots haven't been a major part of the equation for him in recent weeks.

He has been credited with two in each of the Penguins' past two games. That probably doesn't seem like much -- and it shouldn't -- but it actually is a significant increase from his output in the previous five games, when he failed to record a shot in four and had one in the other.

Letang has appeared in 35 NHL games this season, and never has had more than three shots on goal And his failure to shoot has become so striking that several members of the Penguins' coaching staff discussed it with him.

"I have to shoot more," Letang said. "That's the key. It's going to happen."

Letang said there are several reasons his shot total has declined recently. Not only because his first inclination is to try to get the puck to a skilled forward -- "When you have [Evgeni] Malkin and [Sidney] Crosby on the ice, or [Petr] Sykora, and you have a chance to give it to them ..." -- but also because he doesn't want to be guilty of a costly error, like having a shot attempt blocked and turned into a scoring chance for the other team.

"Sometimes, you don't want to make a mistake," he said. "All of our games have had close scores."

Defenseman called up

The Penguins recalled rookie defenseman Alex Goligoski from their minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre yesterday.

Goligoski gives the Penguins seven defenseman, one more than the usual complement. It was not clear if there is a connection between his recall and coach Michel Therrien's criticism of Ryan Whitney's defensive play after the Penguins' 4-3 overtime loss Monday in New Jersey.

Goligoski is 5 foot 11, 180 pounds, and a skilled offensive defenseman who moves the puck and sees the ice well. His greatest need going into this season was to add strength, especially when offseason shoulder surgery limited his ability to work out before making his pro debut.

Still, he is regarded as the Penguins' top defensive prospect, and director of player development Tom Fitzgerald spoke of him in glowing terms recently.

"He's one of those guys who is getting better and better every game," Fitzgerald said. "I don't think his size is a concern at all. He's got great agility, great quickness. He's a very good skater and sees the ice well.

"He'll be able to see guys coming and protect himself. It will be easier for him with better players who are on the same page, the same wavelength. He has so much skill and upside."

Goligoski, who skipped his senior season at the University of Minnesota to sign with the Penguins, has six goals and 11 assists in 43 games with the Baby Penguins.

He was the Penguins' second-round draft choice in 2004 and played in the recent American Hockey League All-Star Game.

Slap shots

The Penguins' game at Buffalo Feb. 17 will be played at 6:08 p.m. and televised by FSN Pittsburgh. It had been a candidate to be played earlier in the day and broadcast nationally by NBC. ... Therrien gave the Penguins yesterday off. ... The New York Islanders will visit Mellon Arena at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow, the start of a four-game homestand.

steelpride12
02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Agreed. Whitney is not physical at all and should not be expected to play like that in anyway, but physical or not you have to get dirty around your net.
Brooks Orpik our tough guy is even looking weak around the net plus Kris Letang who in my mind needs alot to work on.
Our defense is getting beat up in our zone and that causes quick goals and something we must address.
Crosby skating already is great news and shows he should be back on-time and no later!

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Therrien confirmed that forward Adam Hall, who had resumed practicing is out again and has had "a setback" with his groin injury. There is no timetable for his return.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08038/855522-61.stm

Beech in lineup

Coach Michel Therrien said center Kris Beech will play tonight against the New York Islanders at Mellon Arena.

Beech has not played since he was claimed off waivers Jan. 26. Beech had not practiced for 10 days prior to his arrival in Pittsburgh last Thursday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_551153.html

Roberts has not played since Dec. 29 due to a broken left leg. Although no timetable has been made official, the Penguins are optimistic Roberts could return by the end of February.

Kennedy update

Forward Tyler Kennedy participated in a full practice for the first time since he was diagnosed with mononucleosis on Jan. 23.

Kennedy is not expected to play tonight.

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Agreed. Whitney is not physical at all and should not be expected to play like that in anyway, but physical or not you have to get dirty around your net.

I agree completely. I'm not expecting Whitney to turn into Scott Stevens after being singled out by Therrien the other day, but there is no excuse for not clearing the front of your net and throwing your body around once in a while.

And once again, I can say that about another defenseman on this team.

Borski
02-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm not a huge hockey fan, but in recent years it has grown on my and finally I am getting tickets to see the Penguins take on the Lightning down here in Florida on March 4th.

Does anyone have any tips on anything that I should do? I plan on wearing a Steelers jersey and Pirates hat since i don't own any Penguins stuff.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm not a huge hockey fan, but in recent years it has grown on my and finally I am getting tickets to see the Penguins take on the Lightning down here in Florida on March 4th.

Does anyone have any tips on anything that I should do? I plan on wearing a Steelers jersey and Pirates hat since i don't own any Penguins stuff.

First off, I hope you have fun at the game and I hope you see a win.

As for what your wearing, if I did not have a Penguin jersey I would go with Steelers gear. At least you would be representing the city. As long as you have the B&G colors.

Hard to give advice on what you should do because I do not live in Tampa (great city though), but when I go to games in Pittsburgh I normally get a bite to eat and have a few drinks at Ruth Chris or the Steelhead Grill before the game. Unfortunately, the tailgating for Penguin games does not compare to Steelers games so I really don't tailgate at Pens games. Dinner and a few drinks with a friend before the game, that's about it for me.

You can always purchase a Pens jersey or hat at the game if you wanted to? Not sure if The St. Pete Times Forum sells Penguins gear (or other teams besides the Bolts), but I'm sure they do.

Once again, I hope you have a great time and bring us home a win!

X-Terminator
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM

I count maybe 2 or 3 times where a Gonchar turnover has led directly to a goal. It certainly isn't "a lot." Even the best players in the league make mistakes - Sid, in fact, has directly contributed to at least 2 goals this season off bad turnovers, including one on the exact same play that Gonchar made in an earlier game. In other words, shit happens. Besides, that trade will never happen for the simple fact that Gonchar is 33 and will be making $5.5 million next season, the final year on his contract. The Sabres don't want to pay Campbell that much. What makes you think they'd give it to Gonchar, especially considering that he'd get much more than that as a FA next summer? They'd end up trading him for that reason alone. The Sabres want long-term help in return for Campbell - no stop-gaps or players they won't be able to re-sign.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
How many times have we seen a goal directly off a Gonchar turnover? a lot

It seems to me, that Gonchar does some good things over a course of a game and a good number of dumb things over a course of a game. It's not just his giveaways that result in goals, it's his decision making in general, his giveways that do not result in goals (do not have enough fingers or toes) and his lack of physical play when needed. Then he turns around and scores a goal.

But like I said before LS, I strongly doubt Buffalo would take him, but I would have absolutely no problem seeing the Penguins trade him for Campbell if a deal of some sort could be reached. Obviously the trade would involve somebody else or something else other than Gonchar, but we can dream can't we? Once again, that's the beauty of the NHL trade deadline coming up around the corner. Speculation and hypothetical scenarios.

Eitherway, it will be interesting to see what decisions Shero makes up until the deadline.

Lord Stiller
02-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Eitherway, it will be interesting to see what decisions Shero makes up until the deadline.

Yeah, im probably jumping the gun here. I just want to see the Pens add a physical defenseman. If they do and Crosby returns to form, I seriously think they can make a run at the Cup

btw, Jersey scored on a Campbell turnover last night lol

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Hopefully Buffalo will make the decision to trade him to us then. :thumbsup:

I'll take the hits shown on the previous page and the solid defense.

pittsburghp8baller
02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Hopefully Buffalo will make the decision to trade him to us then. :thumbsup:

I'll take the hits shown on the previous page and the solid defense.

wouldnt mind having brian campbell, great defenseman. rob blake wouldnt be that bad of a rent-a-player. exactly the kind of defenseman that we go on and on that we need. the only thing is his asking price might be higher than we would be willing to give up for a rent a player

X-Terminator
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, im probably jumping the gun here. I just want to see the Pens add a physical defenseman. If they do and Crosby returns to form, I seriously think they can make a run at the Cup

Which, of course, proves my point that shit happens. So just like Gonchar, he officially sucks now. :thumbsup: :wink02:

But yes, we clearly need a physical defenseman, so since they won't get Campbell or Blake, IMO, how about a cheaper guy in Ole-Kristian Tollefsen from Columbus? Rumor has it that the Blue Jackets are offering him in exchange for Erik Christensen. Tollefsen isn't much of an offensive player, but he's tough, plays physical in front of his net and loves to hit. He'll also drop the gloves on occasion. That is a deal I would consider - thoughts?

BTW, back to Campbell - he's just a +2 (same as Gonchar), but has taken just 3 minor penalties all season. That is pretty damn impressive for a defenseman who on most nights plays against the opposing team's best lines.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
wouldnt mind having brian campbell, great defenseman. rob blake wouldnt be that bad of a rent-a-player. exactly the kind of defenseman that we go on and on that we need. the only thing is his asking price might be higher than we would be willing to give up for a rent a player

The only thing that scores me about Blake is his age and the fact that his numbers are not all that great this year, sporting a -13. He's currently on the Kings IR with a high ankle injury.

Would still rather see the Penguins throw money at Campbell if they are going to go out and get a defenseman. Guy throws the body around and plays physical, while also giving you some offensive numbers. I would love to know what Buffalo is looking for in return before I completely shoot it out of the water. Judging that I'm not a GM of either team, I really don't know.

Anyways.......

Let's beat some Isles!!!

SteelCityMan786
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
1-1. Physical game early here.

Lord Stiller
02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
LMAO at this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOrvdvczpEA

:sofunny:

pittsburghp8baller
02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
The only thing that scores me about Blake is his age and the fact that his numbers are not all that great this year, sporting a -13. He's currently on the Kings IR with a high ankle injury.

Let's beat some Isles!!!

the fact that he is -13 might have to do with the fact that he is on the worst team in the nhl right now. put him on the pens and i bet all of his numbers go up.

whitney one away from the trick!!

steelpride12
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Ryan Whitney playing like a mad-man after a poor performance has 2 PPG and Ryan Malone added the third goal to make it Pens-3 Isle-2 middle of the second period!
Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Pens up 3-2 after second period.
Goals by Ryan Whitney(10), Ryan Malone, and Ryan Whitney(11)!
Still physical game with momentum shifting to both sides!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Kris Letang scores 3rd of the season with 3:38 left in third to give Pens 4-3 lead!

steelpride12
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Pens win 30th of the season by a score of 4-3 as the goal scorers in order were Ryan Whitney, Ryan Malone, Ryan Whitney and Kris Letang.
After a poor performance from Whitney which costs the Pens a 2 point lead and the game against the Devils he strikes back in fashion to score 2 goals and raise his plus/minus.
Kris Letang the young defense men shows off his young talent with the third of the year!
This puts our Pens in a tie with Philly for first place in the division and second in the eastern conference!
GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Woo Hoo. Another Good win. Time to take down the king of LA.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
the fact that he is -13 might have to do with the fact that he is on the worst team in the nhl right now. put him on the pens and i bet all of his numbers go up.

The -13 I can ignore to a degree. His age (coming up on 39) and the fact that he's sitting on IR with a high ankle injury is kind of hard for me to swallow.

IMO, if we want to get a good defenseman right now and for the future (somebody who is around 25-ish / 28-ish and has proven talent), dish out the player(s)/pick(s) and bring him in. Wasting money on a aging and injury prone Blake or somebody who is a gamble is not worth it in my opinion.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Tonight was the worst game I have seen Conklin play since he's stepped in for Fleury. Every goaltender has a bad night. When you have a goalie who has a tendency of playing the puck like Conklin, the first goal scored on him tonight should be expected. Thankfully, he doesn't do it twice in one game or make turnovers and idiotic decisions a habit.

I'm also thankful that the Islanders are in a slump. They came at us with a vengeance tonight. IMO, they out hit us and out skated us tonight. We were lucky to come away with two.

Also, great hit by Staal on Sutton and great PP goal by Whitney with Sutton in the box. Guy is a bum.

Bring on LA!!!

Lord Stiller
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Pens win 30th of the season by a score of 4-3 as the goal scorers in order were Ryan Whitney, Ryan Malone, Ryan Whitney and Kris Letang.
After a poor performance from Whitney which costs the Pens a 2 point lead and the game against the Devils he strikes back in fashion to score 2 goals and raise his plus/minus.
Kris Letang the young defense men shows off his young talent with the third of the year!
This puts our Pens in a tie with Philly for first place in the division and second in the eastern conference!
GO PENS!

Letang also redeems himself, remember one of the DEvils goals last game was deflected in off of Letang who was standing in the crease

steelpride12
02-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Letang also redeems himself, remember one of the DEvils goals last game was deflected in off of Letang who was standing in the crease

Yes. Letang i think for the last 7 games has been on a slump not just for goals, but taking chances and being more physical around the net. His lack of a physical ability let teams walk all over us and make goals pretty easy with Letang hopping around the net.

HometownGal
02-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Yes. Letang i think for the last 7 games has been on a slump not just for goals, but taking chances and being more physical around the net. His lack of a physical ability let teams walk all over us and make goals pretty easy with Letang hopping around the net.

Do you watch the same games I do? I don't view a defenseman going 7 games without a goal as a "slump". Letang is a very physical player - the kid doesn't hesitate to throw his body into an opponent. Sure he gets caught out of position once in a while - he's still in the learning process and quite honestly, there isn't a defenseman in the league who doesn't get caught with his pants down on occasion. Give the kid a break! :wink02:

Lord Stiller
02-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Do you watch the same games I do? I don't view a defenseman going 7 games without a goal as a "slump". Letang is a very physical player - the kid doesn't hesitate to throw his body into an opponent. Sure he gets caught out of position once in a while - he's still in the learning process and quite honestly, there isn't a defenseman in the league who doesn't get caught with his pants down on occasion. Give the kid a break! :wink02:

I think his point was Letang is weak in front of his own net which is true

HometownGal
02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I think his point was Letang is weak in front of his own net which is true

I understand his point, Lord Stiller - I just think he was being a bit hard on Letang considering this is his first season in the big league.

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
IMO, Letang get's a free pass in my book. I think at times we (me, media, whoever) tend to forget how young some of the players are on this roster (Letang, Staal, Malkin). I'm guilty of it with Staal from time to time.

Personally, overall, I feel Letang has had a good season up to this point, particularly for a 20 year old playing in his first year. When I find myself getting heated under the collar with some of these kids, I take a deep breath and think to myself "Kid is not even old enough to buy a beer"....:smile:.

It works. :cheers:

Lord Stiller
02-08-2008, 09:17 AM
IMO, Letang get's a free pass in my book. I think at times we (me, media, whoever) tend to forget how young some of the players are on this roster (Letang, Staal, Malkin). I'm guilty of it with Staal from time to time.

Personally, overall, I feel Letang has had a good season up to this point, particularly for a 20 year old playing in his first year. When I find myself getting heated under the collar with some of these kids, I take a deep breath and think to myself "Kid is not even old enough to buy a beer"....:smile:.

It works. :cheers:

LOL, good post

Man, Staal frustrates the heck out of me too sometimes. He needs to work on skating with the puck big time. But it is amazing how well he plays defensively at this point in time.

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
LOL, good post

Man, Staal frustrates the heck out of me too sometimes. He needs to work on skating with the puck big time. But it is amazing how well he plays defensively at this point in time.

I'd like to see him use that frame more often. Kid is built like a race horse. Get in front of the opposition's net and cause havoc. Malone started doing it this season and look what it has gotten him....goals.

Imagine what Staal is going to look like when he hits 26-27 years of age. He's going to be a special one, all in time.

Also, some injury updates...

Therrien said Crosby, who has a high ankle sprain, has tolerated his four skating sessions well. "Pretty good so far," the coach said. "We're more than pleased." ... Kennedy, who missed his eighth game because of mononucleosis, said his spleen is no longer enlarged, and he's just trying to get back into shape after being rendered sedentary by the illness. "We'll make a decision shortly," Therrien said. "He's close." ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/855883-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Crosby returns to Penguins practice
Friday, February 08, 2008

Penguins center Sidney Crosby practiced today with the team at Mellon Arena, three weeks after sustaining a high ankle sprain.

He wore a yellow non-contact jersey. Penguins officials said his recovery period has not been accelerated. When originally diagnosed, the Penguins said he would be out 6-8 weeks.

The Penguins reassigned forward Tyler Kennedy to their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm team. He has been recovering from mononucleosis.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/855926-100.stm

Lord Stiller
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Crosby is still has a long way to go. But it would be really nice to get Hall or Kennedy back soon.

Also, sounds like Roberts will be back before the playoffs :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
The -13 I can ignore to a degree. His age (coming up on 39) and the fact that he's sitting on IR with a high ankle injury is kind of hard for me to swallow.

IMO, if we want to get a good defenseman right now and for the future (somebody who is around 25-ish / 28-ish and has proven talent), dish out the player(s)/pick(s) and bring him in. Wasting money on a aging and injury prone Blake or somebody who is a gamble is not worth it in my opinion.

im jus saying that rob blake would be a great addition for THIS season. and that the only way we should go after him is if we are sure that we can make a run deep into the playoffs with him. but i would rather see us go after someone like campbell

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 08:47 AM
im jus saying that rob blake would be a great addition for THIS season. and that the only way we should go after him is if we are sure that we can make a run deep into the playoffs with him. but i would rather see us go after someone like campbell

Can he stay healthy long enough to make it to the playoffs? If he does, can he stay healthy in a more physical and up-tempo playoff atmosphere? Not sure he's worth the money and roster spot. Ten years ago, sure.

Oddly enough, the Kings are actually playing better hockey with him on IR. They have won two games in a row, three of its past four, going 8-3-1 in its past 12 and defeating the Red Wings, ending their 8 game winning streak in the process.

Speaking of Campbell, did you see the open ice hit he laid on P.J. Axelsson last night?

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 09:21 AM
More rumors from the sporting news....

New York possible destination for Forward Jeff Taffe in Sporting News.

Islanders have reportedly offered Right Wing Blake Comeau.

Coyotes Showing Interest in Rugged D-man Brooks Orpik. Scouts have been watching since early December.

No Proof yet but Defenseman Keith Ballard rumored to be Bait before Deadline Approaches.

Lord Stiller
02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Speaking of Campbell, did you see the open ice hit he laid on P.J. Axelsson last night?

ya that was nice! but not as nice as the classic hit on pen killer Umberger

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XD03ut-iUzg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XD03ut-iUzg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Lord Stiller
02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
what if we packaged Gonchar with an expendible forward like Hall, you think we could get Campbell?

Pittsburghfan
02-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Marc-Andre Fleury is switching from the Bright yellow pads to white ones. I will try to find a source. But He did

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
what if we packaged Gonchar with an expendible forward like Hall, you think we could get Campbell?

It's going to cost us for sure, but in order to get the good, you have to give up the good.

John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski for Ulf Samuelsson and Ron Francis. I recall a few "No!! Not John Cullen!!" moans when that trade was made.

I'm not a GM and I'm not exactly sure what Buffalo is asking or looking for, but if I had to guess.....Campbell (willing to sign long-term deal) for Gonchar, a #1 pick or #2 pick and a player like Christensen or Orpik (or replace Christensen/Orpik for a respectable prospect, Filewich or Goligoski).

Just a guess.

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Marc-Andre Fleury is switching from the Bright yellow pads to white ones. I will try to find a source. But He did

White is in, yellow out

Shortly after he went down with a high ankle sprain in early December, Fleury got a letter from an eye doctor in Ottawa with charts and an explanation of why Fleury's signature yellow pads gave shooters an advantage.

Fleury listened.

Yesterday, before and during the morning skate, gleaming white new leg pads, blocker and glove made their debut.

"It's a big different look," coach Michel Therrien said. "I was wondering if we have a new goalie."

Fleury asked around and came to believe the theory that pads in white have the illusion of looking bigger than pads of the same size in darker colors.

"There's more and more goalies wearing white these days," Fleury said. "The guys tell me it makes it look a little bigger.

"It's weird, but it's not too much different."

Fleury said it takes "maybe two weeks if I practice every day" to break in a new set of pads.

Therrien hinted that Fleury might be ready to return before the white pads are broken in.

"He's getting closer and closer. We'll see after the weekend," he said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/855883-61.stm

Lord Stiller
02-09-2008, 11:03 AM
so when will Fleury play?

will we see Sabo today or tomorrow?

tomorrow is a big game!

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
so when will Fleury play?

"He's getting closer and closer. We'll see after the weekend," - Therrien on Fleury 2/8/08

will we see Sabo today or tomorrow?

I think we will and should see Sabo in net this afternoon.

tomorrow is a big game!

And that's why I think we will and should see Sabo in net this afternoon.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
tomorrows game is like a huge trap that has be upset inside and not in a good way.
Usually when there are games 24 hours apart they switch goalies. So that means Sabo will have to play tom. because they said Fluery would need another week. Unless we play Sabo today on an easier team to beat until i saw the kings away record...10-5!
Tom. is key we beat philly to actually take a lead in the division, but with 2 back to back games idk how were gonna be ready!

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
For now all i have to say is GO PENS kick some L.A. ass!

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Usually when there are games 24 hours apart they switch goalies. So that means Sabo will have to play tom. because they said Fluery would need another week. Unless we play Sabo today on an easier team to beat until i saw the kings away record...10-5!

Or just do what we have been doing when we've encountered back to back games since Fleury has been out.......start Sabourin today and Conklin against the more important and more offensively gifted Flyers team.

I'm not seeing how Fleury plays a factor into today's or tomorrow's game. Start Sabourin today and Conklin tomorrow. Depending on how Conklin plays against Philly and how he feels, makes the decision on who will get the nod against the Bruins......Conklin or Sabourin.

I'll worry about Fleury when he returns. There is still not a date set for his return. Therrien simply stated that they will see after the weekend is over.

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 11:15 AM
For now all i have to say is GO PENS kick some L.A. ass!

Amen! :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 11:21 AM
tomorrows game is like a huge trap that has be upset inside and not in a good way.
Tom. is key we beat philly to actually take a lead in the division, but with 2 back to back games idk how were gonna be ready!

Expect Sabo to start today. No reason Conklin does not start tomorrow.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Lets here it! Its game time.....GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 12:01 PM
What the hell is wrong with FSN? Anyone having issues down there in the Steel City?

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
What the hell is wrong with FSN? Anyone having issues down there in the Steel City?

It's fine here.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
It's just showing a bunch of random commercials out here. You got a link to a netcast there 83 or know of anyone that does a radio broadcast on-line?

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Its all good here too!?

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
THANK GOD FOR THE X!!!!!!!!!!! Well I'll be cowkicked, I got back my FSN Coverage.

The Duke
02-09-2008, 12:28 PM
nice job malkin!

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 12:29 PM
GOALL!! Malkin on the 5-3!
Pens up 1-0
8:03 left in first!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 12:31 PM
So far good period. Let's get another one here.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Pens up 1-0 after first period!
Goal from Evgeni Malkin on a 5-3!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Let's rule this period.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 01:04 PM
GOALL! Ryan Malone deflection early in second. Pens up 2-0!
Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Pretty physical game the pens are dodging bullets left and right, but Sabo playing great in goal its nice to see him play good for the Pens as the Kings still not giving up and really pushing for their first goal!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 01:18 PM
We could use an insurance goal now.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 01:23 PM
GOALL! Evgeni Malkin 2nd of the night makes it 3-0 Pens up with 7 min left in the second period.
Malkin has 30 goals and is 4 points away from Ovechkin who is the points leader in the NHL!
Go Pens!

The Duke
02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Malkin is just playing awesome!

hope he continues this when crosby comes back

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Malkin is just playing awesome!

hope he continues this when crosby comes back

When Crosby returns, the Pens will nbe unstoppable because our success now shows how much we have and how far we can go with him out of the lineup, and when he returns we will be an even stronger force heading into the playoffs!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 01:32 PM
3-0 right now, it would be nice to get another goal here soon.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
OMG GOALL! Jordan Staal with 2 seconds left after a great save by Sabo gives the Pens a 4-0 lead after the second period.
Pens look score happy and with a good third period will win easily!
Keep it up!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Stuff it to em' boys!!!!!

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Stuff it to em' boys!!!!!

What looks good as a final score for you!? I say 6-0 would make me happy! :smile::cheers:

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Look at that, Staal scores while driving to the net. Use the frame, drive to the net, score goals.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 01:53 PM
What looks good as a final score for you!? I say 6-0 would make me happy! :smile::cheers:

A shutout is nice, but scoring more then the Kings in general is ok to. I say get a couple goals as insurance. Just in case of emergency.

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Having another Malkin HT would be nice. Overall though, coming away with two points is all I care about, particulary with Philly being down by two goals at this point in time.

4-1 Kings score. Don't sit back. Kings against Wings should be reason enough.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Having another Malkin HT would be nice. Overall though, coming away with two points is all I care about, particulary with Philly being down by two goals at this point in time.

4-1 Kings score. Don't sit back. Kings against Wings should be reason enough.

Our one game against Washington that we trailed 4-0 and won 5-4 in the shootout should be reason enough to.

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 02:27 PM
4-2, Kings score. 1:32 left in the third. Hey!!! Gonchar got robbed on that set up. Good job. :coffee:

Here's to hoping we do not decide to sit back like this against better teams during more important games. Looks like first place is ours if Philly keeps losing.

steelpride12
02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Pens win game 4-2 With goals from Evgeni Malkin(2), Ryan Malone, and Jordan Staal to Take first place in the division!
Pens take on Philly tom. also at one and a win would give us a 4 point lead in the division!
Malkin missing the open net sucked, but he looks like a beast out there!
Good Game Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Good Win. Going to have to make sure no fall happens tomorrow. Going to have a chance to pad the lead. Need to take advantage of it.

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
And the Flyers lose to the Rangers in regulation. Get the two tomorrow.

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 02:52 PM
And the Flyers lose to the Rangers in regulation. Get the two tomorrow.

Let's start running away with that division!

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Almost 13 Hours till payback time.

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Nice to see Christensen get some praise and attention. It's well deserved....

Good little moves

Christensen got a third-period assist, his first point in three games, but coach Michel Therrien pointed out another contribution.

"Christensen draws two penalties, and we score," Therrien said of his team's two power-play goals after the Kings were assessed hooking penalties. "Those are the little things we're looking for."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08041/856309-61.stm

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Time to kick Philly's Ass.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Its game time baby!!!!
Philly today is long deserving and a good ass whooping is whats coming to ya!
Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 10:53 AM
After our win today we shall have a good 4 point lead in the division.....any lead is nice this time of the season!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 11:09 AM
After our win today we shall have a good 4 point lead in the division.....any lead is nice this time of the season!
Go Pens!

TIME TO RUN AWAY WITH THE DIVISION!!!!!!!!!!!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 11:11 AM
TIME TO RUN AWAY WITH THE DIVISION!!!!!!!!!!!

It was just a matter of time before we did geeze!!! :flap::thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 11:26 AM
It was just a matter of time before we did geeze!!! :flap::thumbsup:

:sofunny::sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
:yuck: Umburger gives Flyers 1-0 lead.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
If were gonna win we have to have discipline and stay out of the box! Flyers 1-0

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Where's the Offense? we need a goal.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
GOALLLL!!! Petr Sykora from a great pass from Malkin!
Pens and Flyers tied 1-1 after 1st period!
Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Good fight Ruutu ha the flyer's man just skated away because he couldn't handle anymore!
Very physical game no surprise there, but we must have discipline and stay out of the box and we shall have a power play when the second period starts and a goal would be huge!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Where's the Offense? we need a goal.

Thanks Sykora. DO IT AGAIN!

Over/Under

5 Game Misconducts.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
GOALLL!
Powerplay goal from a gorgeous wrist shot from SERGEI GOCHARRR!
Pens lead early in second 2-1!
Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Pens looking dominate in the second period so far keeping the puck pretty much in the flyers zone, but have to get more shots on net if we plan on taking a 3-1 lead anytime soon!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
It would be nice to be up 3-1 here before the intermission.

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Nice. 3-1 lead.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 01:45 PM
OMG GOALLLL!!!! Malkin great pass from Sykora one timer in the net!!!!
His 31st of the season and 3 behind Ovechkin for the scoring lead as the Pens take a demanding 3-1 lead end of the second period!
Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Pens are truly playing like gods on the ice and the defense is solid holding back any shots from Philly, and staying out of the box!
Pens came to play and truly are deserving of a 4 point lead in the division if this leads stand true!
Keep it up Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Pens are truly playing like gods on the ice and the defense is solid holding back any shots from Philly, and staying out of the box!
Pens came to play and truly are deserving of a 4 point lead in the division if this leads stand true!
Keep it up Pens!

Yep, I'd sure like to tell Philly fans off tomorrow.

Where's our offense, we need a goal.

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Put him on his ass!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:13 PM
If we blow another 3-1 lead and loss ill flip Umberger second of the game Pens lead 3-2 middle of third!
One more goal or hold them off Pens!
GOOO!!!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:37 PM
GOALLLL!!! from the young and talented Kris Letang!!!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:39 PM
The Pens go on and win the game 4-3!!!
Goals from Sykora, Gonchar, Malkin(3 point night), and Letang to seal the Pens first win over Philly this season and gives us a small crease in the division with a 4 point lead!
Good Job Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Next up.....Boston on Wed.........BRING IT!
Go Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
GO HOME FLYERS!

GO HOME FLYERS!

GO HOME FLYERS!

Like the soup natzi. Philly....

NO SWEEP FOR YOU!

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 02:41 PM
GO HOME FLYERS!

GO HOME FLYERS!

GO HOME FLYERS!

Like the soup natzi. Philly....

NO SWEEP FOR YOU!

This is an amazing day to watch those hard ass Flyers go home on with their tails between their legs!
GREAT GAME PENS! :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Did I forget something Philly?

:nana::nana::nana::fingers::fingers::fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers::fingers:

Have a nice day.

You Doubting Dons have anything else to say?

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 03:35 PM
REPORT FROM PENS POST-GAME: Fleury has been placed on conditioning assignment in Wilkes Barre Scranton. The Baby Pens will play Wed. at Norfolk with Philly at home Fri. and at Bridgeport Sat.

steelpride12
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
REPORT FROM PENS POST-GAME: Fleury has been placed on conditioning assignment in Wilkes Barre Scranton. The Baby Pens will play Wed. at Norfolk with Philly at home Fri. and at Bridgeport Sat.

Yes also as a side note: Tyler Kennedy is practice again, and is also down in the minors working on conditioning and getting himself back to 100% :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Man it's good to see more people getting healthier by the day.

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
After our win today we shall have a good 4 point lead in the division

3 points. The devils are three points behind.

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Further proof that hockey players can't act worth a damn....

KOrvdvczpEA

Apparently they didn't learn from 99's SNL peformance. Rumor has it, Gonchar is up for an oscar after that stunning performance. :toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
It's funny to watch though

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
It's funny to watch though

I found myself squirming in my chair and laughing at the same time.

The same feeling I had when I saw this....

kputKjS2HLk

It's that uncomfortable feeling, but yet you still find yourself laughing. :toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
That's the same thing with me.

Lord Stiller
02-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Talbot is friggin hilarious!

butchering the national anthem is not so funny

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/08041/856444-100.stm
Fleury sent to Baby Penguins
Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Penguins today sent goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm team on a conditioning assignment.

Fleury, the top overall draft pick in 2003, has been out since Dec. 6 with a high ankle sprain. There is no timetable for how many games he will play in the American Hockey League, but the move indicates he is getting close to being able to return and play for the Penguins.

He was 9-8-1 with four wins in a row when he got hurt.

The team also reassigned forward Ryan Stone to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He had no points in five games since being promoted in early January.

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm curious what the Pens will do once Crosby gets back. Before he was hurt, they had him with Army and Malkin on his wings. IMO, Malkin is prooving he plays his best game as a Center. I think they should go with 2 top lines that get equal time. Malkin and Sykora have a good chemistry together. Hopefully via trade we can add a pure scorer to compliment Crosby:

Here's what I'm thinking:

Line 1a: Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Line 1b: Army - Crosby - Kennedy
Line 3: Talbot - Staal - Christenson
Line 4: Ruutu - Hall - Laraque

also, Roberts should be back for the playoffs.

I just think they should keep line 1a in tact and figure out a good combo with Crosby. Line 3 has also been playing well together but could be broken up. Maybe put Christenson with Crosby? Staal might be better suited as a winger? Talbot at center?

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 08:31 AM

He will probably remain down there for three or four games.

Sort of off topic, but after witnessing the way Malkin has played this season, if I were Shero I would be on the phone with Malkin's agent attempting to crack out an eight year deal. Sign him and wrap him up long term right now.

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Sort of off topic, but after witnessing the way Malkin has played this season, if I were Shero I would be on the phone with Malkin's agent attempting to crack out an eight year deal. Sign him and wrap him up long term right now.

Thats actually a great idea. Especially since his parents are in town for a couple weeks. They would be really proud of him

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm curious what the Pens will do once Crosby gets back. Before he was hurt, they had him with Army and Malkin on his wings. IMO, Malkin is prooving he plays his best game as a Center. I think they should go with 2 top lines that get equal time. Malkin and Sykora have a good chemistry together. Hopefully via trade we can add a pure scorer to compliment Crosby:

Here's what I'm thinking:

Line 1a: Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Line 1b: Army - Crosby - Kennedy
Line 3: Talbot - Staal - Christenson
Line 4: Ruutu - Hall - Laraque

also, Roberts should be back for the playoffs.

I just think they should keep line 1a in tact and figure out a good combo with Crosby. Line 3 has also been playing well together but could be broken up. Maybe put Christenson with Crosby? Staal might be better suited as a winger? Talbot at center?

While not taking into consideration a possible future trade for a forward, here are the lines that I would like to see Therrien start out with, but I'm sure Therrien has different plans.....

Line 1: Armstrong - Crosby - Christensen

Line 2: Malone - Malkin - Sykora

Here's where it should get interesting...

Line 3: Talbot - Staal - Roberts

Line 4: Ruutu - Taffe - Laraque

IMO, Kris Beech is as good as gone. I'm not sure Kennedy is a for sure lock once Crosby, Roberts and Hall return. Unfortunately, I think Hall will keep his spot even though I haven't seen anything out him that resembles production, yet Therrien plays him night after night. Must be 'The Ouellet Syndrome'. Taffe is at least getting scoring chances from time to time, plays a more physical game (4th liner) and makes some noise from time to time. If Hall is on this roster after this season, I will be very surprised.

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah I think putting EC with Crosby is a good idea. Have they played together much at all? EC has a good shot and hopefully coould finish setups from Crosby

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah I think putting EC with Crosby is a good idea. Have they played together much at all? EC has a good shot and hopefully coould finish setups from Crosby

One change that I would debate on making is switching Armstrong and Staal. I think if Therrien let Staal - Crosby - Christensen gel together, that could be a potent line.

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Have they played together much at all?

They were together earlier in the year for a short period of time. It was around the time when Therrien was juggling lines every night.

Back in early January, Molinari had a good write up on Christensen...

Penguins' Christensen refines his game
Saturday, January 05, 2008

It's not that Erik Christensen is reinventing himself.

Certainly, not in the way that, say, Rob Brown did as his career was winding down, when he morphed from a one-dimensional goal-scorer -- and a pretty darned good one, at that -- into something alarmingly close to a defensive specialist.

With Christensen, it is more a case of refining his game, diversifying it by introducing elements that were not present just a few weeks ago.

Until recently, he was known mostly for his high-end offensive skills -- especially a wrist shot that travels at speeds approaching Mach 2 -- and an uncanny knack for scoring in shootouts.

Nothing wrong with any of that, of course, but as the Penguins prepare to face Florida today at 3:08 p.m. at Mellon Arena, there are a few chapters being added to the book on Christensen.

Like how he is 146-100 on faceoffs, a winning percent of 59.4 that is the best of anyone on the team who has taken more than 10 draws. By comparison, Sidney Crosby who has handled a team-high 854, has a success rate of 51.9 percent.

Mind you, Christensen has a history of being a capable faceoff man, although he never got much attention for it.

He also was not recognized for physical play or a strong commitment to defense, either, and for a pretty good reason -- they weren't part of his repertoire.

And while he still is not a punishing hitter (and never will be), Christensen has been getting physically involved in every game of late, putting his shoulder into enough opponents that no one can dismiss it as incidental contact.

That has led to him becoming more active all over the ice and becoming especially visible in the defensive zone. There is not a groundswell of support for a Selke Trophy campaign just yet, but a significant increase in his playing time during the past two-plus weeks makes it clear his bosses have noticed.

"He's working hard and he's competing," coach Michel Therrien said. "He's skating, he's making plays, he's going to the areas where he's going to be able to score some goals.

"We like what we see from him right now. Early in the season, we didn't see those things."

Consequently, Christensen was a healthy scratch five times in the first 32 games, twice as recently as Dec. 13 and 15.

The importance of getting involved physically seemed to register with him during that unscheduled break. Ever since, getting body contact early, regardless of whether that meant throwing a check or taking one, has been a priority.

"I'm not a real aggressive kind of guy -- that's probably obvious to a few people -- but even my mom and dad say it's good for me to get a hit or be hit really hard to put myself in the game," Christensen said.

"I guess I'm not naturally a guy who can put myself in that mind-set automatically. I have to consciously say, on my first shift, 'OK, get into the game, get physically into the game.' "

Playing the body might be a somewhat alien concept, but scoring goals isn't. That is why Christensen is predictably unhappy about having just six at this point of the season.

"Every game I don't score, I'm disappointed," he said. "I want to contribute. I grew up being a goal-scorer, a points guy. When you don't do those things, it's disappointing."

But not devastating, now that Christensen is fleshing out his game and knows he can make a positive difference in a variety of ways.

"Part of being a pro is looking at other things you can do well," he said.

Christensen, who has bounced between positions for much of the season, clearly is most comfortable, and probably effective, at center.

The difference is, he no longer looks like a guy who has to work on a first or second line to have a place in the NHL. Not because of a drop in his talent level, but because his game is maturing the way the coaching staff hoped it would.

"We told him a lot of times exactly what we're looking for," Therrien said. "He's got speed, he's got skill and he's got some hockey sense. He's got all the things we look for from our players."

And now he's packaging them in ways the Penguins have waited a long time to see.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08005/846975-61.stm

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 10:15 AM
One change that I would debate on making is switching Armstrong and Staal. I think if Therrien let Staal - Crosby - Christensen gel together, that could be a potent line.

I also agree with that. Im a big fan of Staal but at this point in time, he should play on the wing and not at center because he has trouble skating with the puck

I like these top 2 lines. you have the all-world center (Crosby and Malkin) paired with a skilled finisher (Sykora and Christenson) and the tough guy to grind it out in front of the net (Staal and Malone)

Talbot can play center on the 3rd line

Lord Stiller
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229406&hubname=nhl

damn! Ottawa just got a little stronger. Also, Mike Commodore is exaclty the type of player I was hoping the Pens would acquire....a big, tough, solid veteran defenseman

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Malkin one of NHL's stars of the week
Monday, February 11, 2008

Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has had an remarkable run of late, but it wasn't enough to earn him recogition as the NHL's top star of the past week.

That distinction went to Ottawa center Jaon Spezza, who had four goals and seven assists in three games during the week that ended Sunday. Malkin, the league's no. 2 star, had three goals and nine assists in four games over the same span.

The third star of the week was Anaheim goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who went 3-0, with a 1.01 goals-against average and .966 save percentage in three games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08042/856612-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229406&hubname=nhl

damn! Ottawa just got a little stronger. Also, Mike Commodore is exaclty the type of player I was hoping the Pens would acquire....a big, tough, solid veteran defenseman

Nice to see Ottawa's giving up the good to get the good/better. Trade was definately a steal for them. So much for catching Ottawa this season.

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Something you don't see very often, hockey players being arrested, one being a former Pittsburgh Penguin....

2 Canadiens players arrested
Mon Feb 11, 12:41 PM ET

TAMPA, Fla. - Police say two Montreal Canadiens players have been arrested outside a Tampa nightclub.

The 23-year-old defenseman Ryan O'Byrne has been accused of stealing a woman's purse, and the 29-year-old right wing Thomas Kostopoulos has been charged with resisting an officer, a Tampa police report says.

O'Byrne has been charged with felony grand theft. He was released Monday after posting $2,000 bail. Kostopoulos faces a misdemeanor count of resisting an officer without violence and was freed after posting $500 bail.

The Canadiens are scheduled to play the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_canadiens_arrested

SteelCityMan786
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Good thing we got rid of tommy. Making a mockery of himself.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Shero not thinking big at trade deadline
Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ray Shero knows he'll spend a lot of time on the phone between now and the NHL trade deadline in two weeks.

Enough that he might have to have a receiver surgically removed from his ear.

"There are a lot of people talking," he said. "Trying to find out what's available, maybe what the cost is."

Ray SheroIt's conceivable that Shero figures he'll be able to make a move or two before 3 p.m. Feb. 26, if only because it seems as if just about every club does.

But at this moment, there's very little -- if any -- reason to think Shero will be seeking to do much more than fine-tune his roster by filling a specific void or two.

Indeed, while he doesn't rule out giving up someone from his NHL roster, it doesn't sound as if doing so will be a cornerstone of his deadline strategy.

"I think we're in a good position," Shero said. "I think you're looking to add [to the major-league roster] rather than to subtract, from a position like ours. But it depends. You never know."

Shero, then in his first season as general manager of the Penguins, made five moves at the 2007 deadline, but surrendered only one player from his NHL lineup.

He sent defensive prospect Noah Welch to Florida for left winger Gary Roberts, a fourth-round draft choice to the Panthers for defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski, forward prospect Daniel Carcillo and a third-rounder to Phoenix for right winger Georges Laraque, a seventh-rounder to San Jose for minor-league goalie Nolan Schaefer and center Dominic Moore to Minnesota for a third-round choice.

Although Shero declined to specify the type of player he hopes to acquire before the deadline, the conventional wisdom is that the Penguins would benefit from adding a goal-scoring winger and some depth on defense, ideally in the form of a veteran with a physical edge to his game.

"I'm all ears," Shero said. "I'll just continue to look around. I like the way our team has played. We're going to get a number of players back from injury. Right now, a lot of guys have stepped up and done a very good job. I've said all along that I like our team."

At least for now, more teams are looking to add players than to move them. That's mostly because only a handful of clubs have lost all hope of qualifying for the playoffs.

Several, such as St. Louis, could go either way, depending on how they fare in the next 10 days or so. They could become buyers if they surge, sellers if they slump.

"There are a few teams like that," Shero said. "But you're always making calls to see, just in case. If they went one way, what would they do? Who would be available? And if not, what could they be looking for?"

The Penguins have won three consecutive games and are 6-2-2 since center Sidney Crosby was forced from the lineup by a high ankle sprain. But even if their current run of strong play continues to the deadline, it won't necessarily deter Shero from tweaking his personnel.

"We were playing well last year near the deadline, and there were a couple of things we wanted to try to do, which we accomplished," he said. "But you don't have a crystal ball as to how it could play out.

"We assume we're getting players back from injury, but the other assumption is that everybody else is going to [stay] healthy, so things could change game-to-game. You have to see what your holes could be."

Indications are that some prominent veterans on the cusp of unrestricted free agency -- guys such as Toronto center Mats Sundin and Atlanta winger Marian Hossa -- could go on the market in the coming days, if they aren't there already. The Penguins, though, almost certainly will pass on big-name talent that will command a steep price in a trade and might be on the payroll for only a couple of months.

Surrendering too many assets for a short-term rental would conflict with Shero's oft-stated philosophy of methodically constructing a team that can mature into a perennial contender.

"I want to talk to the coaches over the next week to see what they see from our team, and have [more scouting meetings] as we go forward," Shero said. "Fill our group in as to what could be available and what the cost is, knowing that we're still going to be a league next year and the year after."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08043/856750-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2008, 04:56 AM
Top 25 Available Players for trade from the 4th Period....

1 - Sundin (Pens rumored to have interest) - No thanks.

2 - Hossa (Pens rumored to have interest) - Would love to see it.

3 - Jokinen

4 - Blake (Pens rumored to have interest) - No thanks.

5 - Marleau

6 - Kaberle

7 - Campbell

8 - Prospal (Pens rumored to have interest) - I would take a long look at him.

9 - Fedorov (Pens rumored to have interest) - No thanks.

10 - Tanguay

Other players on the list who the Penguins are rumored to be interested in:

16 - Michael Ryder

23 - Jarret Stoll

http://thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25.html

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
? Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury's first start while on a conditioning assignment with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL will be Wednesday in Norfolk, Va. Fleury was sent to the AHL on Sunday and practiced with the Penguins' top minor-league affiliate Monday. Fleury has not played since Dec. 6 due to a high right ankle sprain. Fleury maintains his ankle is "not 100 percent, but... good enough." Goaltending coach Gilles Meloche will join the coaches in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to observe Fleury, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coach Todd Richards said. Richards is not expecting Fleury's AHL stay to be long. "It's a guy who's a big part of their team in Pittsburgh, had great success last year, will be a big part of their success this year, will be a big part of their success as a franchise," Richards said. The Penguins hope Fleury will make three to four starts in the AHL, then return to the NHL, coach Michel Therrien said Sunday.

? The Penguins signed defenseman Deryk Engelland to a two-year contract extension through 2009-10. Engelland, 25, has appeared in 49 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL, recording eight points and registering a plus-5 rating. Originally a sixth-round pick by New Jersey in the 2000 draft, Engelland was signed by the Penguins last summer.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_551880.html

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Hossa only comes by way of Free Agency or he takes a smaller amount of cash when we try to sign him if we choose to do so.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Just giving a heads up, there is an important game on tonight. Flyers vs Islanders on VERSUS. Go Isles!!!

I'll be flipping between that game and the PITT vs Providence game.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Now 3-2 Isles after two.

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
3-2 Isles in the 2nd.

pittsburghp8baller
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
islanders win 4-3 we still got 4 points on the fylers with a chance at six tommorrow against boston

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 09:08 PM
islanders win 4-3 we still got 4 points on the fylers with a chance at six tommorrow against boston

and gain a 5 point lead on Jersey.

steelpride12
02-12-2008, 09:16 PM
and gain a 5 point lead on Jersey.

Ya everyone don't forget we have only a 3 point lead in the division with Jersey close behind, but a win tom. would def. give us the breathing room we deserve!
Go Pens whoop some Bruin a$$! :jammin:

Lord Stiller
02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Ottawa lost tonight and they play Jersey tomorrow. We are only 3 back from Ottawa with a game in hand

Lets keep it going and grab the #1 seed, haha!

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Ottawa lost tonight and they play Jersey tomorrow. We are only 3 back from Ottawa with a game in hand

Lets keep it going and grab the #1 seed, haha!

We do have a match up with not the coming but Next Saturday then the Saturday after that. So a couple big match-ups coming up along the way. Hopefully we can get more of these guys back. It will be a very intriguing couple of weeks coming up starting with Boston.

Lord Stiller
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
btw if you dont live in da 'burgh and want to catch tomorrow's game, you can watch in live online through this yahoo site:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AiedJNprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprof anityfilterprofanityfilterfYvPanSkbCr1p7vLYF?slug= ys-nhlonversus&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
also 105.9 the X provides good radio coverage.

HometownGal
02-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Nice read on Geno. :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08044/857004-61.stm

Malkin's play spurring trophy speculation

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Evgeni Malkin's performance has bouyed a team many thought was sunk with the injury that sidelined Sidney Crosby.Forget the debate about whether Evgeni Malkin is more reminiscent of Mario Lemieux or Jaromir Jagr.

The person Malkin most resembles is his mother, to an almost uncanny degree.

But Natalia Malkin, who watched the Penguins practice yesterday with her husband, Vladimir, from the Mellon Arena stands, never won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's scoring champion -- something her son might accomplish in his second season in the league.

Lemieux and Jagr had that trophy pretty much locked up for the Penguins from 1992-2001, except for a guy named Wayne Gretzky sneaking in there to win it in '94.

Lemieux also won it in 1988 and '89, and Sidney Crosby won it last season. That means the Penguins have produced the league scoring champion 12 of the past 19 seasons. (The 2004-05 season was canceled because of the NHL lockout.)

When Crosby's right ankle was sprained Jan. 18 and he was projected to be out six to eight weeks -- a time frame still considered valid -- it looked as if the team would have to grudgingly let the Art Ross Trophy go to another club, along with the Hart Trophy, the most valuable player award also picked up by Crosby last season.

Not necessarily.

Malkin, clicking at center with linemates Petr Sykora and Ryan Malone, has 21 points in the 10 games since Crosby was hurt, going into a home game tonight against Boston. That line has combined for 47 points in those 10 games.

Through Monday, Malkin, 21, the NHL rookie of the year last season, had climbed into a second-place tie in the NHL with Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson at 73 points apiece, three behind Washington's Alex Ovechkin. Malkin has played one game fewer than Ovechkin, a fellow Russian and friend.

While Malkin's teammates are eager to champion him as a solid threat to win the Art Ross -- "I don't see why not; he's got the tools," winger Colby Armstrong said -- MVP talk comes a little less easy even though Malkin's play could accurately be described as invaluable as the Penguins have gone 6-2-2 and taken over the Atlantic Division lead in Crosby's absence. Malkin is on the top power-play unit, added penalty-killing to his repertoire this season and already was on pace to top his rookie point total of 85. He had 13 points in the seven games leading up to Crosby's injury.

Penguins coach Michel Therrien thought Valentine's week was too early to talk about Harts.

"Whoa, whoa," he said, raising his hands.

"We are talking big words, but of course since Sid went down and hurt his ankle, Geno stepped up in a big, big way," Sykora said of Malkin.

Defenseman Brooks Orpik believes Malkin's torrid pace without Crosby merits a Hart candidacy.

"After Sid got hurt, on TSN [a Canadian sports network], there was a poll -- Are the Penguins going to do better, the same, or drop out of the playoffs? -- and everyone voted for dropping out of the playoffs," Orpik said. "I think everyone in the room stepped up a little bit, but he's the one that really jumps off the charts and really, really picked up his game -- and that's not saying he wasn't playing well before Sid got hurt. He'd be the first to admit he's playing the best he's ever played in his career."

Malkin has said he has never had a stretch like this, in the NHL or with Metallurg Magnitogorsk, his hometown team in the Russian Super League. Then again, no one has handed him a pro team and allowed him to carry it on his shoulders.

"He was playing on the second or third line, so he never got the opportunity he's getting right now," said Sykora, who played with Malkin on Metallurg during the lockout season.

With the Penguins, there was always Crosby, who was playing center with Malkin at left wing before the ankle injury. Therrien has declined to speculate whether he will leave Malkin's line intact when Crosby returns.

Of all the Penguins, Crosby knows what a scoring championship and MVP season looks and feels like. He's willing to say Malkin has a shot at both.

"Yeah, I think so. He's really stepped it up," Crosby said. "I don't think he's worrying about it. He's playing great hockey. That's all he's got to worry about and those things will take care of themselves at the end of the season. He's definitely been a dominant player."

Defenseman Sergei Gonchar, who is Malkin's landlord, said Malkin "obviously has the talent" to be the NHL's MVP and confirmed Crosby's assessment that Malkin seems unaffected by his recent rise toward the top of the league.

Malkin, who does only occasional, limited interviews without a Russian interpreter, didn't have to answer out loud when asked in English if he was going to win the Art Ross and Hart trophies.

He simply smiled, raised his eyebrows and nodded. Only the mischievous look in his eyes conveyed that he was just having fun with the question, with hockey, with everything.

Since you've been gone

Here's a look at how Evgeni Malkin has played since Sidney Crosby's injury:

Games.....10

Goals.....8

Assists.....13

Points.....21

+/-.....+4

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Penguins fans alerted to traffic changes tonight
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Traffic patterns on Centre Avenue near Mellon Arena will be altered this evening due to the St. Francis Central Hospital demolition project, according to Pittsburgh police.

Police are expecting traffic to bottleneck in the eastbound lanes of Centre when the lanes are altered starting at 4 p.m. until the conclusion of the Penguins hockey game, which begins at 7:30 p.m.

Police advise fans attending the game to arrive early. Traffic will be affected between Washington Place and Crawford Street, and police urge fans to seek parking below Washington Place and walk up to the arena.

The upper lot of Mellon Arena between Bedford and Centre avenues will be accessible only from the Bedford Avenue side.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08044/856941-147.stm

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Doors open at 6:00 tonight because of demolition work at the hospital.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_552058.html

Pens' Staal makes mental adjustments
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Jordan Staal has been here before -- roaming the Penguins' dressing room, smiling and joking with teammates.

Seems like old times, maybe because the "old" Staal is back.

"Everything is going pretty well right now," Staal said. "I feel pretty good about myself."

That was not the case for much of this season.

Staal -- still "just 19 years old," as coach Michel Therrien constantly reminds -- cited various reasons for his early displeasure, including an embarrassing arrest for underage drinking at his brother's bachelor party last summer and failure to match raised expectations that followed a standout rookie season.

Oh, and he lives in the guest house of a former teammate who now plays for Atlanta, Mark Recchi.

"It was a combination of all those things," Staal said. "I found out this year that the game is a lot mental, not just physical. I had to get my head on straight."

It is, and a rejuvenated Staal -- three goals and six points in the past 10 games -- could provide the Penguins (32-19-5, 69 points) fuel to catch Ottawa (34-18-4, 72 points) in the race for first place in the Eastern Conference.

"He is really starting to feel comfortable as a center," coach Michel Therrien said. "He's tough to contain, and he is tough to play against."

Staal scored 29 goals last season, with a league-best seven shorthanded. Most of that damage was done as a left wing on a line with center Evgeni Malkin.

The Penguins will play host to the Boston Bruins at Mellon Arena tonight with Malkin on a Mario Lemieux-like surge -- 21 points in 10 games since captain Sidney Crosby was lost with a high right ankle sprain on Jan. 18.

They are 6-2-2 in those contests without Crosby, and not just because Malkin has established himself as a premiere offensive force at the center position.

"Jordan has been great, too," forward Erik Christensen said.

Staal has scored only eight goals and recorded just 19 points though 56 games. However, since he began working the middle on a line with Christensen and Maxime Talbot after Crosby was injured, Staal discovered an offensive groove to go with his reputably strong defensive-zone play.

"We've been talking about his defense all season, and deservedly so," assistant coach Mike Yeo said. "But he is really starting to create offensively. He is really coming on that way."

Staal's defense, which Yeo said cannot be measured by "the misleading" plus/minus statistic, is "underestimated," according to Christensen.

"He is always in the right spot, rarely makes a mistake and is never on the wrong side of the puck," said Christensen, who has scored two goals, recorded six points and averaged 3.5 shots over 10 games with Staal as his center.

"Especially me, he allows a winger to cheat a bit because he is so aware in his own end, and even in the offensive zone is always in the right position. He's playing really well."

Yeo said Staal, more than any other player, was helped by the All-Star break.

"He was able to go home and regroup, clear his head a little bit," Yeo said. "He came back refreshed. You could see it immediately."

Yeo is just one of many inside the Penguins organization who never wavered on Staal, even as some fans continue to wonder what he could bring in a possible trade as the Feb. 26 deadline approaches.

General manager Ray Shero said weeks ago Staal would "be here on Feb. 27," and that vote of confidence is one Staal said helped shake off any self doubt.

"I can be that player," Staal said of the goal-scoring power forward many expected. "It's a tough job, but I believe I can do it."

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Coming up on 1 Hour till game time.

Kick
Boston's
Ass.

Remember kids, Boston is the cheaters capital of the US.

Lord Stiller
02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Remember kids, Boston is the cheaters capital of the US.

HAHA, good point :thumbsup: i nearly forget

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
This game is getting out of hand. COME ON! Where's our offense? We need a goal.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Gonna need some goals here. Boston appears to have come to play tonight.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Wow, everything just sucks tonight.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Need a goal. Who wants to get a goal tonight for the Penguins.

The Duke
02-13-2008, 07:53 PM
man, we need some points!

defense hasn't been too ba, we just need to get some points from the offense to at least tie it

let's go pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
So many blown opportunities.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Let's actually take advantage of this power play boys!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
would they STOP blowing Power Plays.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:04 PM
This Offense needs a severe kick in the ass.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Blowing PP chance after PP chance against a team who is ranked last in the league on the PK while playing on the road.

First goal, Gonchar coughs up the puck in his own zone and Nokelainen put it away. :coffee::yawn:

Second goal, Nathan Smith lost his stick and Sobotka was able to drive to the net untouched and deflect the puck in the net.

Offensively (5 on 5) we are getting our chances, but we are not putting it away.

2-0 after two.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Where is our offense? Wake up and put the puck behind Thomas's back in the net for a goal.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
We have to get better shots.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
They keep eating so much damn time.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Thomas has been giving up rebounds galore for the last two periods. Take shots and drive the net. Taking stupid penalties is not helping this teams cause tonight either.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Thomas has been giving up rebounds galore for the last two periods. Take shots and drive the net. Taking stupid penalties is not helping this teams cause tonight either.

hasn't worked all year and it never will work unless we get REALLLLLLL Lucky..

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
So many blown chances AGAIN!

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Where's that Elbowing Call????

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
hasn't worked all year and it never will work unless we get REALLLLLLL Lucky..

If anything, setting up the picture perfect goal is not working tonight. At this point in the game and looking at the score, send Malone and Staal to the net and fire away.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Thomas has no break in him.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
They keep passing and passing instead of taking the clear shot. Down by two with eight minutes left, take the shot.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
FINALLY. Malkin with the wrist shot on the PP with Penguin bodies in front of the net. We have 6:46 left to tie this thing up.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:48 PM
1 Down 1 To go.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Where's that offense? We need a goal again.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
WHAT A SAVE.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Another save. Back to back breakaways and Conk stoned them both.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Come on, take advantage of the 6th man.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
This will be bittersweet. But will serve as a lesson. YOU CAN NOT SPOT A TEAM 2 GOALS WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO GET THEM BACK.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
And this is what happens when you have a defenseman who makes a brain dead pass in his own zone resulting in a goal (and ending up losing by one). This is also what happens when your PP goes AWOL.

Hats off to Conklin, he gave us a chance. Also, hats off to Tim Thomas. When you have an opposing goalie playing the way he did tonight, you can't afford to give them a goal like the first one scored.

On to Carolina.

Lord Stiller
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
ugly game, that was brutal to watch

glad i will miss tomorrow's game

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
ugly game, that was brutal to watch

glad i will miss tomorrow's game

Sabo getting the nod tomorrow night. Should be interesting. Eaves is still out with a shoulder injury. Corvo had an assist in his first game as a Cane. They beat Boston the other night 3-2.

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Sabo getting the nod tomorrow night. Should be interesting. Eaves is still out with a shoulder injury. Corvo had an assist in his first game as a Cane.

Tomorrow will be VERY interesting. I expected this to happen anyway. Buffalo is going to be a barn burner. We're going to need a win tomorrow, and pick up the pace against Buffalo. A Stretch of @ Carolina, @ Boston, Florida, @Montreal, Ottawa, and San Jose is going to be a key stretch.

X-Terminator
02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
I know it's really easy to pin losses on one person, but NOBODY played well tonight, aside from Conklin, who once again kept us in the game. They were flat from the beginning until about halfway through the 3rd period. It's like they used all of their energy to beat Philly on Sunday and then took 3 nights off instead of 2. Ah well, you have nights like this sometimes - best to forget it and move on.

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Tomorrow will be VERY interesting. I expected this to happen anyway. Buffalo is going to be a barn burner. We're going to need a win tomorrow, and pick up the pace against Buffalo. A Stretch of @ Carolina, @ Boston, Florida, @Montreal, Ottawa, and San Jose is going to be a key stretch.

I agree. Like I clearly stated yesterday on two different occasions, the PP not clicking, taking bad penalties and dumb mental errors while playing a close game are not going to fly against teams like San Jose, Montreal and Ottawa.

Get back on track today and bring on the Canes!!!

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I think Beech's time as a Penguin is coming closer and closer to an end...

Penguins recall rookie Kennedy
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins recalled forward Tyler Kennedy Thursday from their AHL farm club in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Kennedy had missed eight games with the Penguins between Jan. 19 and Feb. 7 after he was diagnosed with mononucleosis. In three games with the Baby Penguins, Kennedy has scored two goals. He is tied for the lead among NHL rookies with four game-winning goals.

This is his third call-up this season. He made his NHL debut on Oct. 27 vs. the Montreal Canadiens and scored his first goal on Nov. 3 against the New York Islanders.

In 31 games with the Penguins, he has 8 goals, 4 assists and 12 points.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08045/857453-100.stm

HometownGal
02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I know it's really easy to pin losses on one person, but NOBODY played well tonight, aside from Conklin, who once again kept us in the game. They were flat from the beginning until about halfway through the 3rd period. It's like they used all of their energy to beat Philly on Sunday and then took 3 nights off instead of 2. Ah well, you have nights like this sometimes - best to forget it and move on.

Sure it's easy to point the fickle finger of blame at one person (though Gonch totally fooked up on the Bruins' first goal), but when a team is gifted with 8 PPs and can only get one puck into the net, I believe the answer is crystal clear as to where this loss resulted from. You are right, though - they looked pretty anemic until the 3rd period.

Tough matchup against the Canes tonight away from home. Let's hope the Pens can find their mojo and chalk up a W. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Anyways, hopefully our PP will be clicking tonight against the Canes (one of the reasons I mentioned for the loss yesterday), they are ranked last in the league on the PK. Take advantage of it and put them away early.

Also, more trade rumors...

The Penguins had two scouts in attendence last night for the St. Louis Blues/LA Kings game. The Penguins continue to express an interest in acquiring Kings defenseman Jaroslav Modry but the bigger story coming out of last night is the Penguins and Blues are in the exploratory stages about a potential trade involving Barret Jackman and Colby Armstrong. What's interesting about this rumor is the two sides talked about a potential swap following the 07 NHL draft.

There is word Shero would like to make this move but Jackmans pending free agency makes it unlikely he will deal Armstrong. I still expect the Penguins to pursue a veteran defenseman like Modry where they won't have to give up much.

The Penguins are also showing serious interest in Michael Ryder.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I think Beech's time as a Penguin is coming closer and closer to an end...

Penguins recall rookie Kennedy
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins recalled forward Tyler Kennedy Thursday from their AHL farm club in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Kennedy had missed eight games with the Penguins between Jan. 19 and Feb. 7 after he was diagnosed with mononucleosis. In three games with the Baby Penguins, Kennedy has scored two goals. He is tied for the lead among NHL rookies with four game-winning goals.

This is his third call-up this season. He made his NHL debut on Oct. 27 vs. the Montreal Canadiens and scored his first goal on Nov. 3 against the New York Islanders.

In 31 games with the Penguins, he has 8 goals, 4 assists and 12 points.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08045/857453-100.stm

easy come easy go.

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
easy come easy go.

I would have to believe that Therrien will bench Beech tonight and play Kennedy. I don't even see the Penguins attempting to send Beech down to WBS, I think they will just straight up release him.

The only other scenario I could see tonight is Therrien benching Smith instead of Beech, but I feel Smith has looked a hell of alot better than Beech.

Lord Stiller
02-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I would have to believe that Therrien will bench Beech tonight and play Kennedy. I don't even see the Penguins attempting to send Beech down to WBS, I think they will just straight up release him.

The only other scenario I could see tonight is Therrien benching Smith instead of Beech, but I feel Smith has looked a hell of alot better than Beech.

They called up Kennedy and he will be in the lineup

Beech didnt even play yesterday, they played 7 defensemen (Giglonski)

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
They called up Kennedy and he will be in the lineup

Beech didnt even play yesterday, they played 7 defensemen (Giglonski)

That's what I mean. When your getting benched like how Kennedy was benched yesterday, your as good as gone.

Maybe there is an opening in WBS for a stick boy? :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM

To think that Beech was even worth picking up was a joke.

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 04:49 PM
The Penguins are also showing serious interest in Michael Ryder.

While I'm not crazy about rental players, I would rather see the Penguins go after Vaclav Prospal.

Prospal - Crosby - Christensen/Armstrong

More....

At this moment the market is down for marquee rentals like Mats Sundin and Rob Blake compared to last year. Teams are unwilling to meet the demands of a roster player/prospect and 1st round pick. As the trade deadline nears that could change but it’s interesting. Maybe executives are learning from the mistakes the Islanders and Thrashers made last season. If your not a true Stanley Cup contender then it is not worth it to mortgage the future for a playoff rental like Blake or Sundin. For a player like Hossa who has long term value then it is worth it. Many NHL executives do not believe any blockbuster deals will be made prior to the General Manager meetings on February 20th.

Penguins Rumors
Ray Shero continues to call around like he is a buyer but he is hesitant to trade any of his young talent which takes the Penguins out of the running for top tier talent. I can confirm Shero would like to make a play for Jokinen but who wouldn't want to. Until Shero is willing to give up some young talent I wouldn't look too much into that rumor or the Sundin rumor. One of my sources did indicate significant moves by Atlantic Division rivals could change things. The Philadelphia Flyers are the front runners to sign Peter Forsberg and my Penguins sources indicate word is they are still a major player in the Sundin sweepstakes. They are willing to offer Jeff Carter for Sundin.

As for some mid-tier players--I've been told the Penguins interest in Sergei Federov has softened but he remains a option once the trade deadline is upon us. Shero has expressed an interest in Kings defenseman Jaroslav Modry but the Kings asking price is too high as Modry is drawing considerable interest around the league. There is talk Shero wouldn't mind getting rid of Daryl Sydors salary. Believe it or not an Eastern conference team in the playoff hunt has inquired about him. It's unlikely but a source indicates there's maybe a 10% chance he is moved at the deadline. The speculation about Ray Shero attending a Leafs game last night has led to Darcy Tucker being linked to the Penguins. This is pure speculation at this point but Shero could make a play for Tucker if the Penguins could move some salary the other way.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

This is pure speculation at this point but Shero could make a play for Tucker if the Penguins could move some salary the other way.

And I hope it remains "pure speculation". Why in the hell would this team need Darcy Tucker? Darcy Tucker bringing all nine of his goals to play next to Sid? Watch out!!!

Plus, we already have muscle on offense. Ruutu and Laraque are more than capable. Thank God it's only speculation.

If your going out to get a forward, get somebody to play next to Sid who can net us some goals.

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Canes in less than an hour!
GO PENS!!!
Whoop some Hurricane ass!

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
INJURY UPDATE: Christensen is out tonight with a shoulder injury (when he hit Chara), so Kris Beech will play tonight.

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Lets Go Pens!!!

We need to play ten times better than we did last night, we need to come out with some passion.

Power Play and Penalty kill needs to look better tonight, Gonchar needs to make better decisions, and we need Saborin to look good in net tonight.

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 06:07 PM
We need to score quick and often on the power play and play tough injuries or not the Canes won't leave without a fight!
Go Pens!

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Power Play and Penalty kill needs to look better tonight

PP definately needs to look better than last night. Our PK wasn't too bad. We were just taking dumb penalties.

Gonchar needs to make better decisions,

lol, Amen. :cheers:

and we need Saborin to look good in net tonight.

If he plays the way he normally plays on the road, we should be fine in net.

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
1-0 courtesy of Erik Cole and the Canes and they were having a drought on their powerplay goals over the last 6 games, and we are the ones that give it to them.

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Smith and Conboy in the box for fighting, although it wasn't really a fight, they just threw off their gloves, and not much else.

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Canes with a 1-0 lead def. want it more than the Pens right now.
Canes are getting the puck to the net while the Pens struggle for any offense right about now!
Lets go Pens WAKE UP!!!

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Canes look like the desperate team they are. Its either division title or no playoffs for them and they know it.
Pens looking stronger getting the puck to the net. A goal before the end of period would be great.
COME ON PENS!!!

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Canes with a 1-0 lead def. want it more than the Pens right now.
Canes are getting the puck to the net while the Pens struggle for any offense right about now!
Lets go Pens WAKE UP!!!

I totally agree!!! :cheers:

One thing that I like about tonight better than last night is that we are shooting the puck more, and not looking for the perfect play.

Another thing that I would like to see is guys like Armstrong and Talbot chip in a few more goals.

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Laraque and Brookbank drop gloves and i give it to Laraque getting him to the ground first!
GOALLL!!! Brooks Orpik from downtown to make the game a 1-1 game late in the first!
Go Pens!

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Fight between Brookbank and Laraque.....NICE!!!!!

BTW you don't have to win the division to make the playoffs, not even 2 days ago we were second in the East in overall points, just because we don't win the division doesn't mean that we won't make the playoffs, winning the division is just icing on the cake.

181 games that Orpik goes with out a goal, and he gets one tonight!!!!

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Fight between Brookbank and Laraque.....NICE!!!!!

BTW you don't have to win the division to make the playoffs, not even 2 days ago we were second in the East in overall points, just because we don't win the division doesn't mean that we won't make the playoffs, winning the division is just icing on the cake.

181 games that Orpik goes with out a goal, and he gets one tonight!!!!

yes i know, but the Canes with this 3 way tie in the division are in 10th of the eastern conference. Without a division title they have a slim chance of making the playoffs def. in a strong division!

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:40 PM
:dang: sorry about the mix up I read your post wrong, sorry

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Hooking call on Ray Whitney, Pens on the power play!!!!

LETS GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
End of first period Pens and Canes tied at 1-1
Pens goal coming from Brooks Orpik his first of the season!
Pens look sluggish in start and truly got it started at the end. Canes playing with heart and still have not let up will def. we a close game to the end!
GO PENS!!!!!!

MarylandSteeler
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Shots on goals we are beating them 6 -14, but on scoring chances and everything else we are pretty much tied, I think that we came out a little to slow, but hopefully we will come out strong in the second period.

It has always been my opinion that we don't shoot enough on the power play sometimes, and I think that we need to do that, we can't sit and wait for the pretty goals, and just in general we need to shoot more.

I also think that when we do shoot the puck we are not shooting it from the right angles, and then the other team ends up getting the rebound.

In other related Pens news, Philly is beating Tampa Bay 2-1, at the end of the 1st period.