PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Last year, Staal puts that chance away. They don't come any easier than that. He has to start putting some of those away at some point.

We are just lucky to get out of that period at 0-0. Thankfully SJ's PP has been horrible lately (1 for 28) and Conklin is playing like Conklin. Up to this point, Malkin is the only one who I have noticed that decided to show up today and play some hockey.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Prepare for Intermissions to be longer. Steigy said they're extending them 3 minutes to be safe.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Prepare for Intermissions to be longer. Steigy said they're extending them 3 minutes to be safe.

Watch the lights go out in the arena. :thumbsup:

Thankfully I gave my tickets away to my sister and her husband. I have zero patience and hate afternoon games to begin with, I would not be crazy about sitting at the Civic Arena for the whole afternoon waiting for them to make sure they have their shit in check.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Watch the lights go out in the arena. :thumbsup:

Thankfully I gave my tickets away to my sister and her husband. I have zero patience and hate afternoon games to begin with, I would not be crazy about sitting at the Civic Arena for the whole afternoon waiting for them to make sure they have their shit in check.

They had all night to do that to. it's happend before also. Remember the Toronto game after the arena deal was finished? The chants of NEW ARENA! NEW ARENA!

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:22 PM
It would be nice if Errey and Steigy stop talking about Pickles.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Finally, our first PP chance......against a team that is #1 on the road killing the PP. Ugh.

EDIT: And there goes that PP chance.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
and they blow the big chance.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:34 PM
And that was the longest time it has taken for them to stop play all year.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Conklin continues to play well.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Apparantly they're not listening to me today when I say...

Where's our offense? We need a goal.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 03:40 PM
This game is going to possibly be 0-0 and into a shootout and be in the need of a Sudden Death Shootout.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 03:56 PM
When you cough the puck up on the PP time and time again, good luck scoring. That second PP was absolutely horrible. Both Gonchar and Whitney coughed it up.

Lord Stiller
02-24-2008, 03:59 PM
This game is really frustrating!

Hopefully we get 1 more power play and can escape with a 1-0 victory.

Devils/Caps are tied 1-1 in the 3rd. Go Caps! (except AO):flap:

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Devils/Caps are tied 1-1 in the 3rd. Go Caps! (except AO):flap:

Unfortunately Ovechkin figured in on the Semin goal.

It's nice to know Brad Richardson will be out for 3-4 weeks. That Flyer team is in trouble.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:18 PM
We can't trade a veteran defenseman because we don't have enough offensive-minded defenseman for opposing forwards to skate around

Just like what Cheechoo did to Whitney on that goal.....:coffee::yawn:

1-0 Sharks in the third.

Lord Stiller
02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
see why I keep wanting to trade Whitney

he is SOFT

he has single handedly cost us several games this season and it looks as if he will cost us another

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm still willing to give him time. He's not the only defenseman on this team who get's torched on the outside and who is also considered "soft". Fortunately, unlike other defenseman on this team who could be used as trade bait, he still has youth and time to round out his game.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Another Penguins PP coming up with 10:13 left in the game.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Goal. Christensen on the PP. Nice.

fansince'76
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Quick strike there.

Lord Stiller
02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
goddam Devils just won in OT

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:38 PM
goddam Devils just won in OT

Not good. They are playing some damn good hockey. We need the two today.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Nice, another Penguins PP coming up on Cheechoo. Would love to see us score with his cheap shot ass in the box.

Do it for EATON!!!

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Malkin just took a tripping penalty. Shit. There goes that chance and the Sharks will have 1:16 on the PP.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:45 PM
And here comes OT. Hopefully we fair better than we did yesterday. I'm not willing to swollow the "at least we got one point" pill.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
SHOOT THE PUCK!!!

Sharks are taking shots every chance they get. We are trying to find the perfect play. Zero shots on goal in that OT for the Penguins.

Lord Stiller
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
should be

Christensen
Letang
Ruutu

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd go with..

Malkin
Letang
Christensen/Ruutu

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Let's go Pens!!!

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Sharks win. Two more points down the drain.

Lord Stiller
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd go with..

Malkin
Letang
Christensen/Ruutu

Malkin is horrible at the shootout. they would go with Sykora over him if needed

X-Terminator
02-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Not happy with just 2 points out of these last 2 games. Not happy at all.

HometownGal
02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Not happy with just 2 points out of these last 2 games. Not happy at all.

I'm not either, but I'll take 'em. They are quite capable of better play all the way around. Hopefully, they'll come out of their coma on Tuesday against the Isles.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not either, but I'll take 'em. They are quite capable of better play all the way around. Hopefully, they'll come out of their coma on Tuesday against the Isles.

I'd much rather come out with 2 then 0. This week is going to be doozy with trips to the Islanders, Bruins, and Sens. We need to get 5 out 6 at least this week.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
New Jersey - 79

Ottawa - 78

Carolina - 69

Pittsburgh - 77

Montreal - 75

A hot NJ team, a Montreal team that is gaining ground and an Ottawa team that can turn it on at any time......we might want to start grabbing two instead of simply settling for one and being very lucky to grab two over the last two games.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Malkin is horrible at the shootout. they would go with Sykora over him if needed

Very true and good point.

I just find it hard not to put the most talented player on the ice as of right now in the SO line-up. He does struggle in the SO's though. No doubt.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
G Fleury back, but Penguins undecided when he will play
Associated Press
Updated: February 24, 2008, 7:46 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Marc-Andre Fleury was recalled from his minor league rehabilitation stay on Sunday by Pittsburgh and is expected to play his first NHL game since Dec. 6 later this week as the Penguins, for now, will carry three goalies.

Fleury has been out with a high ankle sprain, the same injury that has sidelined Penguins star Sidney Crosby since Jan. 18. Crosby did not skate before the Penguins' games Saturday or Sunday and his return remains uncertain.

Fleury played well in all five starts at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL, allowing seven goals. He was 3-2, with both losses occurring in 1-0 games.

"The first couple of games I was rusty but, as a couple of games went along, I felt better," Fleury said. "It seems like forever since I've played in a game here, and I'm looking forward to having a chance to play again."

Fleury, the No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft, still has some pain in his right ankle but said, "I can play through it."

Before getting hurt against Calgary, Fleury had won his last four starts and was 9-8-1 with a 2.90 goals-against average. He tied for third in the NHL with 40 victories last season.

The Penguins play their next three on the road, starting Tuesday at the New York Islanders. Ty Conklin has a 16-4-5 record as the starter with Fleury out, but Dany Sabourin (10-9-1, 2.75 goals-against average) is also expected to stay with the team.

Asked when Fleury might start, coach Michel Therrien said, "I don't know. He hasn't practiced yet."

Therrien said previously it can be unwieldy trying to keep three goalies sharp, but that none of his three currently deserves to be in the minors.

"We all get along very good, so I'm sure we'll find ways to adjust to it and show everybody we'll be fine," Fleury said.

Fleury will make an equipment change once he returns: He is discarding the bright yellow goalie pads he has worn since his rookie season in 2003-04 and will wear white pads, as Conklin and Sabourin do. During his injury layoff, Fleury was shown statistics that goalies who wear brightly colored pads tend to give up more goals than those who wear white pads.

The theory is the white pads tend to blend in with the ice, while the colored pads stand out and give shooters a better look at the goalie.

"They've been doing good," Fleury said of his new pads, which he broke in during his minor-league stay.

With Fleury returning, the Penguins reassigned forward Connor James to Wilkes-Barre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3263098

Lord Stiller
02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Very true and good point.

I just find it hard not to put the most talented player on the ice as of right now in the SO line-up. He does struggle in the SO's though. No doubt.

The 3 they went with have been $$$ all year in the shootout

how about Ruutu?! he is ridiculously good at the shootout

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Fleury, the No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft, still has some pain in his right ankle but said, "I can play through it."

and is expected to play his first NHL game since Dec. 6 later this week as the Penguins

I'm no doctor, but that's a little disconcerning. You would think the Penguins would make him stay off of it until there is zero pain with the way Conklin has been playing.

Unless you are planning on a trade with Sabourin, why bother to rush him back in net? There are still enough games for him to rest it a little longer and still have enough time to knock the rust off.

83-Steelers-43
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
how about Ruutu?! he is ridiculously good at the shootout

That was a sick goal he put on Nabokov today. Lifted the puck on his backhand with one hand on his stick.

83-Steelers-43
02-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Also, Forsberg has signed with the Avs : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230555&hubname=nhl

Penguins center clears waivers, is reassigned
Monday, February 25, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Center Nathan Smith cleared waivers and was assigned to the Penguins' farm team in Wilkes-Barre today.

Smith played 12 games after being recalled from the Baby Penguins Jan. 28, but did not record a point.

He was Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's No. 2 scorer when he was promoted, having put up 12 goals and 22 assists in 44 games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08056/860298-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
02-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Can't say I'm stunned that Forsberg signed with the Avs.

Lord Stiller
02-25-2008, 05:05 PM
i heard the Blackhawks want Espo for Havlat

no thanks!

lets get Jackman!

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Prospal is a Flyer (so much for that): http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230584&hubname=nhl

Yahoo sports is reporting that Hossa is a Montreal Canadien (scary) and Richards is a Dallas Star.

And as for our Pittsburgh Penguins......:yawn:

Though Penguins not ruling anything out, major deal not likely at today's NHL trade deadline
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ray Shero is prepared to consult with his scouts and staff right up until the NHL trade deadline at 3 p.m. today.

To continue placing phone calls to any or all of the league's other 29 general managers and fielding them from the rest. To swap offers and counter-offers in an effort to upgrade his roster for the stretch drive and playoffs. And, ideally, for at least a few seasons into the future.

If things break right, perhaps Shero will be able to acquire that reliable, physical veteran his defense could use, or even a goal-scoring winger who would thrive playing alongside Sidney Crosby.

And if they don't, well, Shero could end up with nothing more than a bloated phone bill.

"If we can add [in a way] that makes sense, that would be good," he said. "But we have to be careful, as well.

"You have a lot of conversations with teams. You want to try to see what other teams are doing, who might be available or what might happen [as a ripple effect] if someone gets traded."

Not surprisingly, negotiations gain urgency and momentum in the hours leading up to the deadline, so the final day on which trades are allowed is the busiest one. To this point there have been tsunamis of speculation but barely a trickle of action.

"A number of teams you talk to don't have anything going at this point," Shero said yesterday.

The Penguins were one of them. Shero acknowledged that it's "too early to tell" whether he is likely to complete a deal today but volunteered that, "I have nothing imminent."

He agreed that it is "pretty much" a seller's market, because so few teams are actively looking to shed players and/or payroll and so many hope to add a piece or two to their personnel puzzle.

The reason for that is no secret: Going into last night's games, all but five of the league's 30 teams either were in the top eight in their conference or within six points of the eighth spot. Because only a handful of clubs have no realistic chance of qualifying for the playoffs, the law of supply-and-demand is firmly in favor of those who control the supply.

The pool of available talent has changed constantly in recent days, as some players (like Toronto center Mats Sundin and a number of his teammates) have gone off the market after refusing to waive no-trade clauses, while others (such as Atlanta winger Marian Hossa) have been added after failing to negotiate contract extensions.

Shero's approach to team-building mitigates against paying a steep price for a big-ticket rental player such as Hossa, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. Such players generate the biggest headlines at this time of year but don't always have the greatest impact.

"There's no guarantee, as history shows, that one big part is putting anyone over the top," Shero said.

And while Shero will not flatly rule out making a move to provide primarily a short-term upgrade, he doesn't seem inclined to get into a bidding war that inflates a player's asking price.

"As with anything, it depends on the cost," he said. "It's like when you go shopping for a car. You might like something, but it's way out of your price range, or if you have a family budget, sometimes it's not going to fit into what you want to do."

Precisely what the Penguins are willing to part with will hinge on what they're being offered. Scouts from a few clubs have shown interest in forward Erik Christensen during the course of the season, for example, but that doesn't mean the Penguins are willing, let alone eager, to part with him.

Fact is, Shero has made it clear he would prefer to add to, not subtract from, his major-league roster, although that presumably is a preference, not a rigid policy.

Adding a capable body, or even projecting how a player's game will mesh with those of the guys around him, isn't Shero's only concern as he contemplates potential deals. He also has to consider how the personalities of anyone he brings in will fit with those already here.

"Chemistry is a big part of what we've accomplished so far," Shero said. "You have to be careful [about altering] that."

That's the prevailing sentiment inside the locker room, where most players wouldn't complain if the current roster remains intact.

"I think we're pretty solid right now," Crosby said. "The guys compete very hard and the chemistry we have, I'm sure that's something that's very [fragile], so I'm sure he's very sensitive to that. I like our lineup."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08057/860433-61.stm

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 12:44 AM
In other words, don't hold your breath for a deal to bring in a player or two that we actually need, while other teams we're competing with make trades and get better (Prospal in Philly, Hossa in Montreal). If Ray Shero really thinks that this team as it stands right now couldn't use a little help, then more power to him, but it's as clear as day that the team has a couple of holes to fill. The Penguins have as good a shot as anyone in the top 5-6 to come out of the East and go to the Stanley Cup finals. Why not bite the bullet, bring in a couple of guys and go for it? I wasn't expecting Hossa or anything, but good grief - do something!!

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 01:05 AM
lets get Jackman!

Not going to happen - he re-signed with St. Louis: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230576&hubname=

Also, Tampa Bay re-signed Dan Boyle to an extension: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=230585&hubName=nhl

So that leaves Brian Campbell and possibly Adam Foote and John-Michael Liles as the remaining big-name D-men on the market.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 02:09 AM
i heard the Blackhawks want Espo for Havlat

no thanks!

lets get Jackman!

I have a bad feeling that Kris "The Next Ron Francis" Beech will be our 'blockbuster' signing this year. :coffee:

Philly brought in Modry and Prospal.

Ottawa is rumored to be buying and already brought in Commodore and Stillman.

Montreal supposedly signed Hossa or is very close to signing Hossa.

We are getting Sid back and that's all fine and dandy, but is there a reason why we can't play a little during the TD? And no, I don't mean another Adam "show me something" Hall. Maybe somebody of a higher caliber?

Oh well, there's always tomorrow LS. *fingers crossed*

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Defenceman Hal Gill, rumoured to be on the trade block, was scratched even though he participated in the morning skate. Gill has the flu, but speculation surfaced that he was on the verge of being traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Leafs maintained Gill did not play because he was sick, and a Pittsburgh source said it was nothing more than conjecture.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/02/26/4876960-sun.html

GARY ROBERTS DONE?
Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider on February 25th, 2008
Some bad news tonight concerning injured Pens forward Gary Roberts.

It looks as though the Penguins won’t have the services of Gary Roberts during the playoffs. Will this effect what Ray Shero does at the NHL’s Trade Deadline? Tonight on KDKA-TV, Bob Pompeani reported that Roberts season and possibly his career could be over.

Pompeani says that Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette reports in tomorrow’s editions that
Roberts, who was expected back soon, after a long recovery from a broken leg, has had a major setback. In fact, his career might be in jeopardy

Roberts told the p-g, that he tried to skate 2 weeks ago and crumbled to the ice in a heap……
He was r-examined and it was revealed that he tore a ligament in his ankle….and now, he hopes to be back by march 27th….but that is a long shot at best!

So much for the Penguins getting a rested Roberts for the playoffs! It’s looks as though Shero $2.5 million investment wasn’t a good one. Good thing he only gave Roberts a one-year deal.

http://www.pittsburghsportsinsider.com/?p=2144#more-2144

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 03:59 AM
Wanna make a move now?

Latest setback threatens Roberts' career
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With the NHL trade deadline later today, it seemed like the perfect time to ask a question of Penguins winger Gary Roberts, who had such a huge impact after joining the team in a deadline deal a year ago.

Do you think you'll be able to provide the same lift down the stretch that you did last year?

Roberts' answer was troubling, to say the least.

"Well, I was hoping to -- until this," he said, pointing at his left foot.

Another high ankle sprain.

"Our fourth of the season," Roberts said, sadly.

You know all about Sidney Crosby's ankle injury and Marc-Andre Fleury's and even Maxime Talbot's, but news of Roberts' must come as a stunner. It sure shocked Roberts and Penguins officials, who had hoped he would be back in the lineup for the past weekend's games. They thought he was just dealing with a broken left leg from a game Dec. 29 against Buffalo. Team doctors had told them the swelling and weakness in Roberts' ankle was from that leg injury. It wasn't until he tried to skate for the first time two weeks ago -- and crumpled to the ice in a heap -- that he knew something worse was wrong. Further examination revealed a ligament tear in his ankle, another result of that same collision with Buffalo's Tim Connolly.

"All that time I was waiting for a bone to heal I could have been doing rehab for my ankle," Roberts said.

He said he won't try to skate for two more weeks. His new target date to play again is March 27, a home game against the New York Islanders. "At least that would give me five games before the playoffs."

So much for that big push for the team down the stretch.

Roberts acknowledged there's no guarantee he will make it back. He'll be 42 in May. Although he works out maniacally -- "His muscles have muscles," Penguins teammate Erik Christensen gushed upon first watching Roberts train last season -- jumping back into the games just when their intensity is starting to soar is a lot to ask.

If Roberts can't make it back, it would be a big loss for the Penguins, even if they have managed to stay near the top of the Eastern Conference standings without him, Fleury and Crosby. The leadership he brought after the trade last season was incredible. The toughness. The energy. The Penguins could use all of those things, not to mention his playoff experience.

Although they got a taste of the postseason last year, they still are a young team. Come April, it would be mighty comforting for the other players to look across the room and see Roberts pulling on his equipment.

"I just want to be a piece of the puzzle," he said. "Even as a third-line player ..."

Roberts has much more at stake than just the tail end of this season. His career could be on the line. Although saying he wants to play next season -- "There's no way I want to pack it in under these circumstances" -- he conceded, quietly, "I know I have to show them something this year to be back next year."

Roberts probably could have signed a two-year deal elsewhere before this season but took one year to stay with the Penguins because "this is a great city to play hockey in. It has exceeded all of my expectations." Even before his injuries, his season had not gone well. A respiratory infection on top of his asthma sapped him of his energy. For a long time, it looked as if he had hit the wall that even the great players eventually do. It wasn't until just before that Buffalo game that he started to feel like he had his legs again. He had two goals and an assist in a 4-2 win Dec. 23 against Boston.

"They haven't shot me or put me out to pasture yet," Roberts said, forcing a smile. "I have a couple of close friends in this game. I've told them, 'If I'm really losing it, tell me so I don't embarrass myself.' No one has said anything yet. I'm thankful for that. I still feel like I have some game left in me."

And if Roberts doesn't? If this is his final season?

The man will have no regrets.

Remember, Roberts retired after the 1995-96 season because of a serious neck injury before making a Lemieux-like comeback in 1997-98.

"Here I am, 41, almost 42, and still playing," he said. "I'm grateful for the second opportunity I've been given. If I don't get next year, I won't feel gypped. Hockey has been too good to me and my family to ever feel that way."

If anyone can bounce back from two bad leg injuries, it is Roberts. "You can be **** sure I'll give it my best effort," he said. Of that, Penguins coach Michel Therrien has no doubt.

"Some guys have the capability of upgrading their game when it's crunch time. Gary Roberts is that player," Therrien has said. "He plays for real. He doesn't play for fun. He plays for real."

Make no mistake here.

This really is crunch time for Roberts.

Like never before in his career.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08057/860423-87.stm

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Well isn't that just friggin wonderful? :dang: What I'd like to know is how the hell the doctors missed that ligament tear when he was initially examined? If I were Roberts, I'd be pissed beyond belief. I hope it isn't the end of the line for him - the guy deserves to have one last shot at glory before hanging up the skates for good. It'd be sad if his career ended like this. But now, I think this pretty much means that Shero HAS to make a move, and a significant one at that. No more sitting on your hands or trading for table scraps, Ray - bring in someone who can make a difference.

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 07:03 AM
philly got Prospal for cheap!

Shero really blew that deal

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Blues get Cam Janssen and the Devils get Bryce Salvador : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230605&hubname=nhl

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Blues get Cam Janssen and the Devils get Bryce Salvador.

unbelievable

Salvador is a tough veteran defenceman, exactly what we need

Janssen is garbage, thats a steal!

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
philly got Prospal for cheap!

If Tampa received Picard (former #3 round pick) for a #1 draft pick, I would say it wasn't a bad deal for Tampa. Picard for a #2 or #3? Seems to me right now Philly got the better of the deal.

Tampa seems to be banking on the young Picard (age 22) to blossom into something special. You never know.

At this point, Campbell is the only defenseman I want out there. Half are too old (Blake, Foote, Salei) and the other half are too small (Liles).

It's either Campbell or I start praying we are active during the draft and attempt to grab Myers, Bogosian, Pietrangelo or Schenn. I would prefer Schenn. This team is eventually going to have to start bringing in DD's with a physical presence.

or...

We can continue to be one of the softest defenses in the league.

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Campbell has been traded to San Jose, so there goes the last remaining young, physical D-man off the market...

EDIT - The deal is Campbell for F Steve Bernier and a 1st round draft pick. You're telling me the Pens couldn't have made a similar deal?

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Campbell is a Shark: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230612&hubname=nhl

Yay, let's go out and get older defenseman!! God knows Penguin fans need those over the hill vets...:yawn:

Now I can continue to watch opposing forwards skate around our defense, but hey, as long as our defenseman can score goals. :coffee:

F-ing A.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Pens made a trade....

Kris Beech for offensive defenseman #32 Traffic Cone. He's 33.

http://www.strathclydebusinesspark.com/_resources/images/client/cone_001.JPG

Also, Toronto has traded Belak to the Panthers for a round five pick. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230611&hubname=nhl

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Brad Richards is now a Dallas Star: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=230613&hubName=nhl

In other news, it's now nearly noon, and Penguins GM Ray Shero continues to sit on his hands. Details to follow...

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM

You watch, the excuses tomorrow from the local media and the 1992 and up yinzers will be....

"Well, there were other teams involved in these trades, the Penguins were not the only ones trying to go after these guys.". (That's called the lame ass excuse)

or..

"Well, Shero's main goal is to keep the future intact. Players like Christensen, Sabourin, (insert veteran defenseman here), Talbot and Ruutu are our future. We can't think about parting with any one of them.". (God forbid we accept the slightest of change in this city, even when it comes to sports)

or..

"Every year around this time Penguin fans flip out when we do not pull off a big trade, settle down". (Last time we won a cup or a deep playoff run for that matter?)

or..

"We are fine with what we have. We have Sid coming back.". (Apparently Sid is now a defenseman and can play both center and LW on the same line. Amazing.)

So now, I'll just sit back and watch us sign one or two Adam Hall type players. I'm sure the "Don't worry, all will be fine" crowd will be out in force after 3:00 today. :coffee:

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
not sure if there is any truth to this but I heard the Pens might get Hal Gill for a pick and prospect

thats not bad right? Gill is decent right?

pittsburghp8baller
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
campbell goes to SJ, Caps get the what the hell trade of the deadline picking up cristobal huet for a second round pick

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Caps get the what the hell trade of the deadline picking up cristobal huet for a second round pick

thats a great deal for the Caps

its more like what the hell are the Habs doing? is Price ready for the playoffs

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
not sure if there is any truth to this but I heard the Pens might get Hal Gill for a pick and prospect

At this point, I really don't care what move Shero pulls off.

Gill is a house (6'7) and could easily take over as our most physical defenseman on this team, but is that saying much? BTW, he's 32 years old.

I posted the article a few pages back from the Toronto Sun and they are denying the reports. Gill missed a game last night because he was sick even though he skated before the game. Pure coincidence from what I understand. Both the Leafs and the Penguins are denying the reports.

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 11:10 AM

Gill is very big, but plays quite soft for a guy his size. Does have the ability to shut down opposing forwards based on his size/reach alone. Not very fleet of foot. Will be 33 on April 6. Therefore, he's perfect for the Pens. :yawn:

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Kolzig is nearing the end of the line, so the deal makes sense for the Caps in that regard. The Habs have 2 good young goalies in Price and Jaroslav Halak and both are better than Huet, but neither have much experience. It's WAY too soon for the Habs to rely on them, IMO. Plus, if they fail, how will they deal with the Montreal media?

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Personally, I woulnd't have pulled it off. It was a dumb move on Montreal's part if they plan on making a legitimate cup run this year. They are banking on two young, unproven goaltenders (I don't care what they did in the minors or juniors).

Nice steal for the Caps.

pittsburghp8baller
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
t. ruutu goes to carolina for andrew ladd.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
t. ruutu goes to carolina for andrew ladd.

Glad to see that rumor shot down and out of the way with.

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Ruslan Salei goes to the Avs for Karlis Skrastins and a 3rd round pick.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
And Ottawa makes another move...:coffee:

OTT
F - Martin Lapointe

CHI
2008 6th Round Pick

Some more nice grit to add to that team.

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
And Ottawa makes another move...:coffee:

OTT
F - Martin Lapointe

CHI
2008 6th Round Pick

Some more nice grit to add to that team.

with Roberts likely missing the playoffs, why didnt Shero go after Lapointe???????

Petesburgh66
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Penguins made a huge move.

According to TSN

Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis from the Thrashers in exchange for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christienson and Angelo Esposito and a first round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230637&hubname=

And you also got that piece crap Hal Gill from the Leafs for a second-round and fifth round pick. Good he is out of Toronto. Totally useless (basically like the rest of the team).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230635&hubname=

TackleMeBen
02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Penguins pull blockbuster trade for Marian Hossa

wow.. that is all i can say about this.

Petesburgh66
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I might be a Leafs fan but I do cheer for the Penguins as well (the Mario factor). They better lock up Hossa to along term deal as Shero gave up way to much for him.

TackleMeBen
02-26-2008, 02:19 PM
i guess they are trying to get what they can since sidney is out. does anyone know when crosby is going to return?

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
i guess they are trying to get what they can since sidney is out. does anyone know when crosby is going to return?

Hopefully in another 2 weeks or so, but no one really knows at this point.

Re: the trades - WOW!!!! :jawdrop::cheers:

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 02:29 PM
they really didnt give up too much for Hossa

EC and Army - 3rd liners at best
Espo - is in a downward spiral
1st rd pick - will be late 20s likely

it will all be worth it when we win the CUP!!!!! :cheers:

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Here's the story on the Pens' acquisition of Hossa:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ArurJMNNo0W0sluwl7l_GQJivLYF?slug=txpeng uinshossa&prov=st&type=lgns

Hossa headed to Pittsburgh

TORONTO (TICKER) ?As if the Pittsburgh Penguins weren?t talented enough, they acquired the crown jewel of the crop of available forwards at the NHL trade deadline.

According to TSN of Canada, the Penguins added to their impressive stable of forwards Tuesday by obtaining All-Star Marian Hossa from the Atlanta Thrashers for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen and prospect Angelo Esposito.

The Penguins also acquired forward Pascal Dupuis while the Thrashers received a first-round draft pick in the deal, according to TSN.

Hossa, who was unable to come to terms on a new contract agreement with Atlanta, joins a potent offensive attack that already includes young superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, who currently is tied for the league lead in scoring with 82 points.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Giving up Army-Bad Idea to me

How we picked up Hossa wasn't a great idea. If they(the thrashers, didn't resign him) we could get Hossa for a cheaper price. Oh well. We'll see how it all plays out

Hossa to the best of my knowledge has been slumping. But in some cases a change of environment is what he may need.

Petesburgh66
02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
It all depends if Hossa shows up in the playoffs. He has been Casper the Invisble Ghost in the past with the Senators, minus the cheap high stick he gave and that almost took the eye out of Bryan Berard.

If Crosby and Malkin don't help him for the playoffs, Hossa can kiss that big fat contract he wants good bye.

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Story on trades via The Trib:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_554355.html?source=rss&feed=8

Penguins acquire Hossa
By Rob Rossi

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- The Penguins made a late and significant splash before the NHL trade deadline expired today.

The Penguins acquired Atlanta left wing Marian Hossa for forwards Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito -- the 20th overall pick in the 2007entry draft -- and a first round draft pick. The Penguins also acquired right wing Pascal Dupuis.

Canadian sports network TSN reported the deal.

Hossa had scored 26 goals and recorded 56 points for the Thrashers. He is an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

The acquisition of Hossa occurred just minutes before the 3 p.m. deadline.
The Penguins also acquired veteran defenseman Hal Gill from Toronto for a second- and fifth-round draft pick.

Gill has appeared in 63 games for the Maple Leafs. He is averaging almost 21 minutes per game and has scored 20 points to go with an even plus/minus rating.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Gill for a #2 and #5?

After watching how soft this defense has been all year long, I guess I'll take it. Looks like another Eric Cairns if you ask me. I'm really not liking this trade.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Thank you Ray Shero.....:cheers:

Personally, what upsets me to a degree is the attitude/stand the media (Starkey), some fans and the front office have taken with even the thought of the Penguins pulling off a respectable trade this year.

Particulary when we are playing in a conference that is up in the air and we are one or two players away from taking the number spot and making a very legitimate run at a cup win if the trigger is pulled for the right players.

Yet for some reason every time a certain player is brought up it's considered taboo. We can't trade Colby Armstrong because he's friends with Crosby and he makes people laugh. We can't trade Christensen because he can score on shootouts. We can't trade a veteran defenseman because we don't have enough offensive-minded defenseman for opposing forwards to skate around and use as parking spaces in front of Conklin. We can't trade Esposito because we don't have enough former first round forwards (a late one at that) who are and continue to be a work in progress.

IMO, there are six players I would not trade in this organization for all the money in the world...Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Staal and Whitney. Other than those players I don't feel anybody involved with this organization should be considered completely off-limits when it comes to considering a possible trade.

I'm a fan of Ray Shero. Anthing is better than Craig Patrick, but the guy needs to be more aggressive at times. I know Shero is untouchable in some circles for some reason, but even Patrick had the balls to pull the trigger on the Cullen/Zalapski trade. Once again, I'm not asking that he trades away our whole future and everybody on our roster. I'm not asking that he blindly trades away players just to make a trade, but to completely shoot down ideas or the possibility of trading (insert players name here) is crazy in my opinion.

Shero finally pulled the trigger and thankfully he didn't bother listening to the media and some fans who feel settling for mediocrity is fine (we will be fine, don't worry). Hossa was the last player I was expecting to land in a Penguins jersey.

I'm willing to give up a work in progress forward. When you have Staal, Malkin and Crosby, you can afford to dump Espo for the right price.

Armstrong is a role player tops. Loved his attitude and personality, but we pay him to score. He couldn't get it done playing with Sid, let alone another line on this roster.

Christensen, showed signs of being a sniper. I think he will continue on to be a solid forward.

I love the deal. In the past, Hossa may have had problems come playoff time, but I'm definately willing to see how the sniper plays with one of the best players and playmakers in the world on his line.

Penguins Power Play:

Hossa - Crosby - Malkin

Whitney - Gonchar/Letang

SICK

BTW, Shero is holding a PC at 4:30. Welcome to the Pittsburgh Penguins family Marian "The Slovak Sniper" Hossa.

I can only imagine what he can and will do with Sid feeding him the puck...

dWqMPXJERFc&feature=related

TackleMeBen
02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Hopefully in another 2 weeks or so, but no one really knows at this point.

Re: the trades - WOW!!!! :jawdrop::cheers:

thanks for the update. my son is going crazy wanting to know when crosby is going to come back. he got mad when they lost to ottawa in overtime. he took off his shirt and threw it across the room..lol..

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks for the update. my son is going crazy wanting to know when crosby is going to come back. he got mad when they lost to ottawa in overtime. he took off his shirt and threw it across the room..lol..

Can't say I have never done that myself. lol.

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
im still in awe of this blockbuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn, wanted to hear Shero's press conference but it is not working

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
im still in awe of this blockbuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn, wanted to hear Shero's press conference but it is not working

The only thing that concerns me a great deal about this trade is the possibility of the Penguins not signing him up long term. I'm hoping this is not a Spring rental and end of story.

Wrapping him up long term is key.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
The only thing that concerns me a great deal about this trade is the possibility of the Penguins not signing him up long term. I'm hoping this is not a Spring rental and end of story.

Wrapping him up long term is key.

If he's part of the long term solution, let's make sure he's locked up, otherwise, it's a questionable move.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Apparently these people feel it was a bad move eitherway. Go figure...

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/emptynetters/

People were screaming for a pure goal scorer to play with Sid at the beginning of the season. We get one and they cry over the loss of Christensen and Armstrong.

In order to get one of the best, it's going to cost you. That's the cold, hard truth. What were they expecting exactly? A fifth round pick for Hossa? We have Staal, Malkin, Sid, Malone, Letang, Whitney and Fleury on this roster. That's a pretty damn bright future if you ask me. Shero has kept that intact.

And these fans are bitching over the loss of Christensen and Armstrong? Leave it up to a large group of Penguin fans to cry over this deal. It's embarrassing.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
damn, wanted to hear Shero's press conference

I was looking forward to it very much, but the local news channels did not even bother televising the PC . That's pretty sad and pathetic. If Roethlisberger chips a nail or succesfully makes it to the potty it's breaking news on every channel and they shut down half the damn city.

I'm sure Savern with have something on it at 6:30.

Here is a KDKA link to the PC. Unfortunately, it's not the whole PC.....

Right hand side: http://kdka.com/sports

X-Terminator
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM
OMG, you mean Ray Shero actually has testicles? I did NOT expect him to make a blockbuster deal like that to bring in Hossa. We are going to have a scary good offense, a ridiculously good PP that's already ranked 3rd in the league, plus he is an excellent penalty killer with a knack for scoring shorthanded goals. It's the kind of move I wanted Shero to make because we have a legit shot at a deep playoff run. But (there is always a but) I feel we gave up too much to get him, because I don't see the Penguins locking him up long-term after the season. Malkin is due to get a huge raise, and Fleury will get an extension, though not likely as lucrative as thought early in the season. Crosby's contract kicks in next season and they will be paying Gonchar and Whitney $9.5 million next season combined. Where's the money for Hossa? It'll look even worse if the Pens don't make a deep playoff run and then lose him to FA. Losing Armstrong doesn't really bother me much - Dupuis is basically his replacement. I expected Christensen to be traded and he, too, can be replaced. But giving up Esposito and a 1st round pick in a draft full of quality defensemen makes this a questionable deal. Still though, I'll enjoy Hossa while he's here, that's for damn sure.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
If he's part of the long term solution, let's make sure he's locked up, otherwise, it's a questionable move.

Amen SCM. :cheers:

IMO, they will get him signed long term. I don't think Shero would have pulled the trigger if there was not some type of understanding involved (with Hossa and our cash situation). I find it very hard to believe that Shero would give up all of that for a quick fix who is still in his late 20's.

I love the deal. There's already complaints flying around on other boards, but I'm choosing not to listen to the Sports Beat call-ins for a straight week just to avoid the crying and complaining by the 'long-time' Penguin faithful. :wink02:

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 05:45 PM
OMG, you mean Ray Shero actually has testicles? I did NOT expect him to make a blockbuster deal like that to bring in Hossa. We are going to have a scary good offense, a ridiculously good PP that's already ranked 3rd in the league, plus he is an excellent penalty killer with a knack for scoring shorthanded goals. It's the kind of move I wanted Shero to make because we have a legit shot at a deep playoff run. But (there is always a but) I feel we gave up too much to get him, because I don't see the Penguins locking him up long-term after the season. Malkin is due to get a huge raise, and Fleury will get an extension, though not likely as lucrative as thought early in the season. Crosby's contract kicks in next season and they will be paying Gonchar and Whitney $9.5 million next season combined. Where's the money for Hossa? It'll look even worse if the Pens don't make a deep playoff run and then lose him to FA. Losing Armstrong doesn't really bother me much - Dupuis is basically his replacement. I expected Christensen to be traded and he, too, can be replaced. But giving up Esposito and a 1st round pick in a draft full of quality defensemen makes this a questionable deal. Still though, I'll enjoy Hossa while he's here, that's for damn sure.

Considering the Pens raised season ticket prices for next season, they should have the cashola to pay 'em all. :toofunny:

Though I am sorry to see Army and Christensen go, I think all in all Shero made a pretty good deal IF they can sign Hossa to a multi-year contract. :thmbup: I was just listening to Pompeani on KDKA and Hossa is very excited to be coming to the Burgh. I'm sure Sid is smiling from ear to ear right about now. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Also, Conklin is getting the start tonight. Hossa and Dupuis will be ready for Thursday night. James and Smith have been called up for tonights game.

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Most welcome.:cheers:

I wasn't overly thrilled that the Pens blew that 3-0 lead and I would have thrown my Ruutu shirt, but I was wearing it at the game. :sofunny:

Buy your son a Hossa jersey. I'm sure as soon as they are available, we'll be seeing fans wearing them in drones. :thumbsup:

Mistah_Q
02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Gah. I was excited about Esposito. I guess they have to try to win now before the salary implications come crashing down on them, though

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm pumped to go to the game this upcoming Sunday. Atlanta at home. :banana:

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Gah. I was excited about Esposito. I guess they have to try to win now before the salary implications come crashing down on them, though

I liked the pick also. It's never easy to part with a late #1 round pick. He's putting up respectable numbers this year, but the two knocks I hear on him is he needs to put on more weight (which he can do) and that he lacks mental toughness.

I guess only time will tell.

IMO, if you have a chance to get Hossa, you go for it.

Petesburgh66
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Darren Dreger of TSN stated his sources indicated the Penguins were not in the Hossa sweepstakes until later in the day and it was the Penguins upper management pushing to get Hossa, not Shero.

Pebguins get the better player in the deal. I suspect the Penguins were also running out of patience with Armstrong and Christensen as front line wingers.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Malkin scores!!! 1-0 Pens. Nice. Beautiful shot. Get the two tonight!!!

Mistah_Q
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I liked the pick also. It's never easy to part with a late #1 round pick. He's putting up respectable numbers this year, but the two knocks I hear on him is he needs to put on more weight (which he can do) and that he lacks mental toughness.

I guess only time will tell.

IMO, if you have a chance to get Hossa, you go for it.If they can get Hossa signed for a few years to a decent contract, it's worth it, just call me relieved that MAF didn't go anywhere. Hossa's 10 years older but 29 is still young for the NHL, whereas Esposito is still kind of unknown. I wish him well, except against Pittsburgh and WB/S!

TackleMeBen
Can't say I have never done that myself. lol.

me either. in fact when we lost to jax in the playoffs i took off my ben jersey and tried to rip it..lol...

i would expect a little more class from you steelman :wink02:

Petesburgh66
Gill for a #2 and #5?

After watching how soft this defense has been all year long, I guess I'll take it. Looks like another Eric Cairns if you ask me. I'm really not liking this trade.

The Leafs fleeced the Penguins to get a 2nd round pick for this piece of dead weight. He is slow and takes to many boneheaded penalties.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Scores!!! Taffe on the PP. 2-0 Pens.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 06:50 PM
If they can get Hossa signed for a few years to a decent contract, it's worth it, just call me relieved that MAF didn't go anywhere. Hossa's 10 years older but 29 is still young for the NHL, whereas Esposito is still kind of unknown. I wish him well, except against Pittsburgh and WB/S!

I hear ya Mistah_Q and agree completely.

Like I said, I think they will be able to wrap him up long term. Steigy even stated that he finds it hard to believe they would go out and pick him up and not wrap him up at the end of the year. While I'll be more comfortable when they actually do sign him long term, I'm not losing sleep or having a heart attack over it. I think Shero will get it done.

As for Fleury, I don't think Shero ever even dreamed of trading him this year. Whether people like it or not, he's our future goaltender. IMO, I think he will round out to be a good goalie in this league. Needs to learn to control his rebounds. Hopefully we will get to see him in net on either Saturday or Sunday. I would be pretty shocked not to see him start in one of the back to back games.

EDIT: Saturday or Sunday

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
We have a 2-0 lead and we are getting out shot 24-6. That's counting three 2 on 1's and a long 5 on 3 PK. Wow. King Conk holding down the fort.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Scuderi is out with a lacerated finger. James and Smith have arrived in the building and are expected to be on the bench in the early second.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Another Penguins penalty. Come on guys.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm pumped to go to the game this upcoming Sunday. Atlanta at home. :banana:

Let's worry about this roadtrip first though.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Another Penguins penalty. Come on guys.

Another well killed penalty.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
me either. in fact when we lost to jax in the playoffs i took off my ben jersey and tried to rip it..lol...

i would expect a little more class from you steelman :wink02:

Hey, Classy guys lose their cool every once in awhile.

But I have more so hid my head in my jersey. Kind of as a superstition for the next game(Meaning I just try to start erasing the bad memories quickly.)

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
2-1. Isles score. Can't sit back and let them bombard you all night and not expect to give up something.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Pathetic thing for the Islanders, They still are losing as they are outshooting the Pens 30-8. I guess we just have a better shot selection.

The Duke
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
wow! hadn't seen the trades :jawdrop:

while I like Armstrong he just didn't seem to be getting the job done. he's a young player and can still make an impact on teams, so good luck to him :cheers:

I'll keep my opinion on Hossa till I see more of him, but as long as he helps the team I'm happy

Let's go offense, don't sleep now!!

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Getting competely out-shot and out-played while taking too many penalties in a 2-1 hockey game. Better turn it around quick.

TackleMeBen
02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey, Classy guys lose their cool every once in awhile.

But I have more so hid my head in my jersey. Kind of as a superstition for the next game(Meaning I just try to start erasing the bad memories quickly.)

yes they do steelman. i was just busting on you. maybe i need to try your method for this upcoming season..:thumbsup:. or i can try it out on mar 9 when duke play carolina..lol

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow, where in the hell is the Islanders getting Penalties called against them????

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 07:36 PM
When you can't clear your own zone and you turn it over time and time again your going to take penalties. We can't put on any pressure in order to even drawl a penalty. Sloppy, sloppy hockey.

Shots: 34-10

Conklin being the only reason why we are in this game. Isles are 0 for 7 on the PP. We keep playing with a hot stove.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:45 PM
yes they do steelman. i was just busting on you. maybe i need to try your method for this upcoming season..:thumbsup:. or i can try it out on mar 9 when duke play carolina..lol

haha yeah, btw, I seem to remember a certain Duke team winning that day in Chapel Hill. lol.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
When you can't clear your own zone and you turn it over time and time again your going to take penalties. We can't put on any pressure in order to even drawl a penalty. Sloppy, sloppy hockey.

Shots: 34-10

Conklin being the only reason why we are in this game. Isles are 0 for 7 on the PP. We keep playing with a hot stove.

They seem to be doing this all night. They're going to need to turn up the heat this period for sure.

TackleMeBen
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
haha yeah, btw, I seem to remember a certain Duke team winning that day in Chapel Hill. lol.

yes i think i remember that too.. i have been watching women's college basketball more lately.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Let's get a good period here. A couple of goals for some insurance.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Conklin has been ridiculous tonight.

Where's our offense? We need a goal

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice Job Conklin.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Steigy stressing again that he does feel Hossa is simply a rental player.

Conklin is standing on his head for this team. Guy doesn't deserve this type of play in front of him.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
SOG till now NYI 37, PIT 11.

We need more shots and more that land in the net behind DiPietro's Back.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Steigy stressing again that he does feel Hossa is simply a rental player.

Conklin is standing on his head for this team. Guy doesn't deserve this type of play in front of him.

I won't be stunned if he is. My guess is he wants to make sure Pittsburgh is truely his place first if he should decide that he may want to sign here instead of hit the road again.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:02 PM
NY Penalty. Must take advantage of this Power Play.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
That was a close play by Malkin. Nice Try to him.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Have to stop playing games with the puck. It's a PP. A crucial one possibly as well.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I won't be stunned if he is. My guess is he wants to make sure Pittsburgh is truely his place first if he should decide that he may want to sign here instead of hit the road again.

He's getting paid nicely to play with two of the best players in the game today, I think he will be content in Pittsburgh. That's if he would like to win Stanley Cups in the future.

IMO, Hossa will have no problem wanting to stay here and the Penguins will have no problem keeping him here.

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Bruins beating the Sens 3-0 at the end of the 2nd. Devils and Canes tied 1-1 with 13:38 left in the 3rd.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
He's getting paid nicely to play with two of the best players in the game today, I think he will be content in Pittsburgh. That's if he would like to win Stanley Cups in the future.

IMO, Hossa will have no problem wanting to stay here and the Penguins will have no problem keeping him here.

Yeah and it is possible the Cap could actually raise big enough that we could resign him. But Malkin, Staal, and Fleury are the big 3 right off the bat that need to be resigned.

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 08:14 PM
man i hope we can hold on for a win, we have reinforcements coming Thursday

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice. 3-1. Jordan Staal. Malkin now up 2 points on Ovechkin.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Connor James scores. 4-1 Pens. Congratulations to James on his first NHL goal. Kennedy fights and he wins. Beats Comrie.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Connor James scores. 4-1 Pens. Congratulations to James on his first NHL goal. Kennedy fights and he wins. Beats Comrie.

It took them awhile to sink that message in.

83-Steelers-43
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Very strange game. Team completely out played us for the majority of the game and we are up 4-2. A win is a win. As long as we get the two.

Thank Conklin.

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
51 Shots on goal for NYI??? Wow.

The Duke
02-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Very strange game. Team completely out played us for the majority of the game and we are up 4-2. A win is a win. As long as we get the two.

Thank Conklin.

we should really be thankful for Conklin, it's like he keeps the team alive while the offense wakes up

nicely done!

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Canes beat the Devils in OT - 2-1. :thumbsup: Bruins still ahead of the Sens 3-0 with less than 8 minutes to go.

HometownGal
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
If anyone is interested in seeing Ray Shero's press conference from earlier today, click on the link below and scroll over to the right.

http://kdka.com/sports/Penguins.Acquire.Hossa.2.663241.html

Dylan
02-26-2008, 09:17 PM
we should really be thankful for Conklin, it's like he keeps the team alive while the offense wakes up

nicely done!

yea he has done an amzing job filling in for Mcfluery

SteelCityMan786
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
yea he has done an amzing job filling in for Mcfluery

I wouldn't be stunned to see him play either Thursday or Sunday. We have Ottawa on Saturday which should make things REAL interesting.

Lord Stiller
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
We get to see Hossa in action Thursday

CANT WAIT

here is a preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ62uQ31DAI

dude has mad skills and is a pure sniper

Crushzilla
02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Does this mean they have to remake the car commercial? :hunch:

Edman
02-27-2008, 02:21 AM
When was the last time a Pittsburgh sports FO made a big move like this? Great Job, Ray Shero and the Penguins.

The already bright future of the Pens is the freaking sun right now. At least, that's the theory.

X-Terminator
02-27-2008, 03:52 AM
When was the last time a Pittsburgh sports FO made a big move like this? Great Job, Ray Shero and the Penguins.

The already bright future of the Pens is the freaking sun right now. At least, that's the theory.

It's been a very long time, I know that. At least not since 1992 when we brought in Rick Tocchet and Kjell Samuelsson from Philadelphia that propelled us to our 2nd Cup. The Pens usually sign table scraps or give players away for nothing, so landing Hossa was shocking to say the least. Plus, in looking at our salary structure for the next couple of seasons, it is indeed possible that we can re-sign Hossa to an extension:

- The Pens are currently $10.6 million under the salary cap.
- Malkin's extension will not kick in until 2009-10, giving us one more season under his entry-level contract.
- Fleury's new contract won't cost as much and neither will Staal's if he repeats his numbers from this season.
- Sydor's, Sykora's and Gonchar's contracts all end after next season. I can see only one of those guys being retained (Sykora), while Sydor and Gonchar are either traded or allowed to walk. I would, however, like for them to at least try to keep Gonchar at a reduced salary since he will be 35 at the end of next season and will be approaching the age at which many offensive D-men start to fade a bit.

If you add that plus Roberts, Ruutu and Laraque combined costing the team about $3.5 million should they re-sign them, then it's entirely possible that they can sign Hossa. We'll see though.

BTW, welcome to Pittsburgh, "Hoss", Hal and Pascal! :cheers:

X-Terminator
02-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Canes beat the Devils in OT - 2-1. :thumbsup: Bruins still ahead of the Sens 3-0 with less than 8 minutes to go.

Yeah, but we're still 1 point behind those boring bastards from Newark. Can somebody please beat them in regulation??? Sheesh!

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Shero's bold moves were the right ones
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There will be people who insist Penguins general manager Ray Shero made a mistake in trading for free-agent-to-be Marian Hossa because it's just not smart hockey to deal for such a player unless a team is on the cusp of Stanley Cup championship contention.

Those people are missing the point.

The Penguins are on the cusp of playing for the greatest team trophy in all of sports.

That's why Shero made the trade. That's why he must be saluted today for having the courage to pull the trigger on a deal that brings to the Penguins exactly the kind of winger Sidney Crosby needs.

It would have been easy for Shero to stick to his master plan of patiently developing the Penguins' mother lode of wondrous talent and seek a championship further down the road. But he has been watching the same hockey we've all been watching of late, which means it's easy to see why he came to the conclusion this team was ready to win this year, not in 2009 or '10.

Shero has seen an injury-ravaged team play just about as well as any club in the Eastern Conference. He has seen it more than hold its own without Crosby. He had the foresight to realize that with Crosby and now with Hossa the Penguins have the potential not just to be good but to be great.

Who knows what the future might bring in terms of injury or defection. This year, the talent is here. The time to strike was now.

Yes, the price was steep. Just a few minutes before yesterday's 3 p.m. trading deadline, Shero sent two of the team's top nine forwards, Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen; last year's No. 1 draft choice, Angelo Esposito; and the team's first pick in the 2008 draft to the Atlanta Thrashers.

The price is steeper still because there is no guarantee Hossa will re-sign with the Penguins.

Still, the deal was a good one and potentially a great one. It's a deal people might be talking about for decades. It's a deal that can put the Penguins into the Stanley Cup final.

The Penguins aren't just a better team today than they were before 3 p.m. yesterday, they could well be the best team in the Eastern Conference.

In addition to Hossa, the Penguins acquired Pascal Dupuis, a small, speedy forward whose strength is on the penalty kill from the Thrashers. In another deal, Shero gave up second- and fifth-round draft choices to Toronto for 6-foot-7, 250-pound defenseman Hal Gill, who is as slow as he is big. Gill gives the Penguins a physical presence it lacked, but him being slow on his skates is not in sync with their style.

Those who might think Shero mortgaged the team's future for nothing more than a possible chance at glory this year need to rethink their premise. Armstrong and Christensen were complementary players. They can be replaced. Giving up first-round draft choices can be dangerous, but let's not forget that from 1996-2001 the Penguins' No. 1 picks were Craig Hillier, Robert Dome, Milan Kraft, Konstantin Koltsov, Brooks Orpik and Colby Armstrong.

As for chemistry concerns, and Armstrong, in particular, was important in that regard, nothing ramps up chemistry like winning.

Besides, how has a team mortgaged its future when it still has Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Kris Letang, Ryan Whitney, Marc-Andre Fleury, Ryan Malone and Sergei Gonchar?

"I still feel good about our future," Shero said. "I still feel good about the assets we have. Not many teams ... not any team can sit there with a Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Whitney and Gonchar. We've got great assets here. I think we'll be a good team for a long period of time."

The key, of course, is Hossa, a gifted sniper who is almost certain to play alongside Crosby. Hossa had 26 goals and 30 assists in 60 games with Atlanta. He scored 43 goals last season and had 45 in 2002-03. His production only figures to increase playing beside the best playmaker in the league. Crosby, too, when he returns from injury, will prosper by playing with a veteran world-class goal-scorer like Hossa.

With Crosby and Hossa making up two-thirds of one line and the highly productive unit of Malkin, Malone and Petr Sykora another, the Penguins will present enormous defensive challenges to opponents.

Shero didn't speak at length about the possible signing of Hossa to a long-term contract. Considering how many younger players must be satisfied financially, it will be difficult to keep Hossa, who is earning $7 million this year and seeking a long-term deal at an annual salary of at least that much.

But that's for the future. It's the present that counts. And the acquisition of Hossa has made the Penguins' present one that is rich with promise.

It's a great day for hockey in Pittsburgh.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860692-194.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Starkey: Shero shows some serious guts
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Memo to those who believe the Penguins gave up too much for Marian Hossa in Tuesday's stunning trade with the Atlanta Thrashers:

That was Angelo Esposito, not Phil or Tony.

Most of us didn't believe a blockbuster was imminent. Some of us didn't think it was necessary. But when you look at the particulars, you have to be impressed.

If you're a fan, you have to be downright giddy.

As ESPN analyst Barry Melrose put it, "The biggest prize went to Pittsburgh."
Just as important: The Penguins didn't lose a single high-impact player from their roster or a critical piece of their future in order to obtain a gifted goal scorer to skate with Sidney Crosby.

If the Thrashers had demanded Jordan Staal or even a hugely talented, NHL-ready prospect such as defenseman Alex Goligoski, I would have balked.

Hossa, who makes $7 million this season and is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in July, might only be here for a few months, a possibility that seems to have plenty of Penguins followers troubled.

It shouldn't.

First, you have to believe general manager Ray Shero would only make this deal if he believes he has a shot to sign Hossa long-term.

Secondly, even if the Penguins don't win the Cup and lose Hossa, guess what? They can go out and sign another player to team with Crosby. The new arena, with its promised revenue streams, is only a few years away, which means this ought to be the last year the Penguins stay well under the NHL's salary cap.

The riskiest part of this deal was jettisoning Colby Armstrong, a beloved member of the club, close to Crosby and a pretty good player. You don't know how the team dynamic will be affected.

But come on.

We're talking about two third-line players (Armstrong and Christensen), a future low first-round pick in a league where half the first-rounders flame out and a past first-rounder (Esposito) whose stock plummeted faster than Enron's before the draft and who was cut from Team Canada's World Junior Team for a third consecutive year.

In return, the Penguins got a world-class sniper (and a respectable forward in Pascal Dupuis).

"It's a big, big deal," Shero said. "I think our team's better today."

Penguins opponents will have to agree, as they try to devise strategies to contain two turbo-charged lines, one powered by Crosby, the other by Evgeni Malkin.

As Hossa put it, "There's so much talent, it's almost scary."

Shero also took measures to improve a glaring weakness -- the penalty kill -- by acquiring 6-foot-7, 250-pound defenseman Hal Gill. Hossa, too, is an excellent penalty killer.

As for all the talking heads on TSN -- Canada's version of ESPN -- saying the Penguins mortgaged their future, let's be serious.

These guys are the future:

Crosby, 20

Malkin, 21

Marc-Andre Fleury, 23

Ryan Whitney, 25

Jordan Staal, 19

Kris Letang, 20

It's not like Shero gutted the farm system, either. We're not talking about the Pirates here.

Meantime, isn't it refreshing to see a Pittsburgh sports team actually make a bold move that has everybody talking? When was the last time any one of them went after the top player on the market, either in free agency or in a trade?

This was, without a doubt, one of the more dramatic trades in this town's recent sports history. It was the Penguins' biggest impact move since acquiring Alexei Kovalev in 1998 and their most dramatic deadline deal in 15 years, since picking up Rick Tocchet in the trade that sent Mark Recchi to the Flyers.

That move fueled a Stanley Cup run.

Who knows? This one might do the same.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_554419.html

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Wow Starkey, singing a different tune this morning huh? Funny. Eitherway, nice read...

Memo to those who believe the Penguins gave up too much for Marian Hossa in Tuesday's stunning trade with the Atlanta Thrashers:

That was Angelo Esposito, not Phil or Tony.

:toofunny:

And here I thought he was the next Lemieux. Plus, for what you would pay for Esposito, a first round pick this year, Colby and Christensen....that's about as much as you will be paying for Hossa.

Just as important: The Penguins didn't lose a single high-impact player from their roster or a critical piece of their future in order to obtain a gifted goal scorer to skate with Sidney Crosby.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

We have a winnah!!!

Hossa, who makes $7 million this season and is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in July, might only be here for a few months, a possibility that seems to have plenty of Penguins followers troubled.

It shouldn't.

First, you have to believe general manager Ray Shero would only make this deal if he believes he has a shot to sign Hossa long-term.

Secondly, even if the Penguins don't win the Cup and lose Hossa, guess what? They can go out and sign another player to team with Crosby. The new arena, with its promised revenue streams, is only a few years away, which means this ought to be the last year the Penguins stay well under the NHL's salary cap.

Thank you. Your not the only one who is not worried about it. :cheers:

The riskiest part of this deal was jettisoning Colby Armstrong, a beloved member of the club, close to Crosby and a pretty good player. You don't know how the team dynamic will be affected.

I heard about this all day yesterday. Once again, I love Colby's attitude and personality, but the team is not going to melt simply because they don't have Colby in there cracking jokes. These guys are professionals, not six year olds. Players come and go, it happens all the time in sports.

We're talking about two third-line players (Armstrong and Christensen), a future low first-round pick in a league where half the first-rounders flame out and a past first-rounder (Esposito) whose stock plummeted faster than Enron's before the draft and who was cut from Team Canada's World Junior Team for a third consecutive year.

Third line players? But, but, Colby is so funny and Christensen is great on shootouts. How can we give that up for one of the best players in the league?

As for the draft pick, this is hockey, not football. If your drafting in the top five, your going to automatically (busts aside) get some good talent. After that, it's a gamble. I'm not stating I would like to see us trade our first round pick every year, but when it comes to grabbing a player like Hossa, you take advantage of that opportunity.

I think it's also worth noting that we got two good PK killers in return. Dupuis has more goals than Colby, Christensen and Staal while also bringing some grit, speed and PK abilities and Hossa is underrated when it comes to his PK abilities.

It's not like Shero gutted the farm system, either. We're not talking about the Pirates here.

Thank you again. :cheers:

Meantime, isn't it refreshing to see a Pittsburgh sports team actually make a bold move that has everybody talking? When was the last time any one of them went after the top player on the market, either in free agency or in a trade?

Definately, but if you read some of the MB's and listen to some of the call-ins, you would have thought we traded Malkin and Crosby for Dupuis and Hossa. Change is bad in this city. I'm used to the complaints and the sky is falling cries. :coffee:

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
• Writing off left wing Gary Roberts -- as some local reports did Monday -- was apparently a mistake. Roberts skated in Pittsburgh on Tuesday after previous speculation he might miss the remainder of the season. Roberts' skating session was described by one team official as "good." Another team official said Roberts, out since Dec. 29 with a broken left leg, is also dealing with a high ankle sprain -- an injury from a few weeks back when he first resumed skating. The Penguins are optimistic Roberts will return in late March.

• Captain Sidney Crosby joined Roberts' skate session. Crosby missed an 18th consecutive game against the Islanders in New York last night due to a high right ankle sprain. Crosby is not expected to return until next week at the earliest.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_554472.html

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Hossa practices with Pens

BOSTON -- Newly acquired Penguins right wing Marian Hossa practiced this afternoon on a line with Ryan Malone and Jordan Staal.

Winger Pascal Dupuis, also acquired from Atlanta in the Hossa trade, practiced at left wing on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora.

Defenseman Hal Gill, acquired from Toronto Tuesday, also practiced with the team during their workout at Agganis Arena on the campus of Boston University.

The three are expected to play Thursday night when the Penguins face the Boston Bruins.

Defenseman Rob Scuderi, who suffered an injury to little finger on his left hand in Tuesday's victory over the New York Islanders, did not practice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860886-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Penguins' injuries continue to mount
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

BOSTON - Defenseman Rob Scuderi will have surgery Thursday on a fractured finger. He was injured Tuesday in a victory against the Islanders in New York. He returned to Pittsburgh today as the Penguins arrived in Boston to practice for a game against the Bruins tomorrow.

Scuderi is expected to miss three-to-four weeks and should return for the playoffs. He has played in each of the Penguins' 64 games.

Forward Adam Hall could miss the rest of the season and will be sidelined at least four weeks due to a sports hernia. Hall underwent surgery to repair the hernia today at UMPC Medical Center in Pittsburgh. He has not played since Jan. 19.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_554550.html

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
The Hall injury I can definately swallow. IMO, the only reason why he received the playing time is because he is one of Shero's favorites going back to his days in Nashville. Looking at the lines and line combinations, where would you put him even if he were to return?

Counting Crosby, in my opinion the lines should like this..

Staal - Crosby - Hossa

Malone - Malkin - Sykora

Dupuis - Talbot - Kennedy

Ruutu - Taffe - Laraque

That's not taking into consideration the possible return of Gary Roberts. So where do you plug in Hall? Personally, I wouldn't even play him. Taffe nets you a goal every once in a while and seems very comfortable out on the ice. He at least contributes. Kennedy is a little firecracker who never stops hustling.

Also, if the production on the Malkin line drops, I would have no problem putting Malone on that first line and bringing Staal back down on the second line.

As for Scuderi, he's sort of underrated in my opinion. No, obviously he's no Scott Stevens or Ray Bourque, but I feel he plays a fairly solid defense and tends to stay out of the box. It looks like we will see what Gill has to bring to the table in a Penguins uniform. I'm willing to give him a shot. Why not? Like I said, it beats some of the soft play I have witnessed from this defensive unit (minus Orpik). Also from what I've heard, since I haven't followed the career of Hal Gill or plan on writing his autobiography, he's not bad at clearing the front of the net.

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 11:20 PM
BOSTON -- Marian Hossa is being paid $7 million this season.

He might make more when he signs his next contract.

But Hossa, the all-star right winger the Penguins acquired shortly before the trade deadline Tuesday, said yesterday money won't necessarily be the only factor that determines where he'll play next season.

If so, that could enhance the Penguins' chances of re-signing him before he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1, especially if Hossa enjoys playing for them and he and the team have success during the stretch drive and playoffs.

"It's not strictly money, but to tell you the truth, right now, I'm not even thinking about it," he said after his first practice with the Penguins. "Right now, my main focus for these [first] few days is on my game and helping the team.

"After I see if I fit on this hockey club, then we can think about the future, talk about the contract."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059/861095-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Malone and Staal join Hossa
Thursday, February 28, 2008

BOSTON -- The Penguins traded for Marian Hossa because they wanted a goal-scoring winger to play alongside Sidney Crosby, and that's what Hossa will do.

Someday.

But with Crosby recovering from a high ankle sprain, there's no telling when that will be, so Hossa is scheduled to work with Ryan Malone and Jordan Staal when the Penguins face Boston tonight at the TD Banknorth Garden.

Coach Michel Therrien put that unit together for Hossa's first practice with the Penguins yesterday. Whether it will be productive remains to be seen, but Staal clearly doesn't mind standing in for Crosby.

"I've seen [Hossa] play and I've played against him, so I know he's got great speed and great vision and makes great plays," Staal said. "I'm excited to get on the ice with him."

Hossa, meanwhile, believes that having large linemates such as Staal and Malone will work to his benefit.

"The big thing is their size," Hossa said. "They're really strong guys, and they're going to win lots of battles. I'm sure they're going to give me lots of pucks, and I'm going to give pucks back to them. That's what's important to my game."

Hossa and Pascal Dupuis were acquired from Atlanta minutes before the NHL trade deadline Tuesday. Dupuis played left wing on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora yesterday.

Therrien said he intends to use Hossa and Dupuis to kill penalties tonight, although he might reconsider after learning that Hossa battled a flu-like ailment recently and is not yet back to full strength.

"I need to slowly get back into game shape," Hossa said. "Hopefully, I don't have to play too much right at the beginning, but, if they want me to, I'll try my best."

Newly acquired defenseman Hal Gill, meanwhile, will move into Rob Scuderi's spot on a pairing with Sergei Gonchar. The little finger on Scuderi's left hand was broken when he blocked a shot early in the Penguins' 4-2 victory Tuesday on Long Island, and he had surgery yesterday to repair the damage.

Scuderi, who inherited Mark Eaton's spot with Gonchar after Eaton's season was ended by a knee injury, is expected to be out three or four weeks.

There is a bit of history with the Gill-Gonchar pairing, dating to when they were Bruins teammates late in the 2003-04 season.

"I know him a little bit," Gill said. "We played together a few times."

Even so, their games won't necessarily mesh immediately.

"It's going to take some time to get used to each other," Gonchar said. "It's probably a little tougher for him, because he has to adjust to a new system, also."

Hossa and Dupuis must do that, too, and the Penguins' system isn't one Hossa figured he'd be trying to pick up in coming days. He was keenly aware that Montreal was regarded as the front-runner to pick him up as the deadline neared, with Ottawa a popular second choice.

"Definitely, there was more talk about those two Canadian teams," Hossa said. "But I was open-minded, ready for anything."

Hossa said he had "lots of linemates" with the Thrashers, for whom he put up 26 goals and 30 assists in 60 games this season.

While Staal (6 feet 4, 220 pounds) and Malone (6-4, 224 pounds) are bigger and stronger than most forwards, Hossa, at 6 feet 1, 208 pounds, doesn't have to rely strictly on finesse. He can -- and does -- bull past opponents on occasion.

"He's what a power forward is," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "He can beat you a lot of different ways. He's a big strong guy, and really skilled."

While some line combinations show an immediate chemistry, one practice usually isn't enough to determine if a group has the potential to be effective.

"You just go out there and kind of figure it out," Malone said.

Regardless of who he plays with until Crosby returns, however, Hossa will be counted on to help establish the Penguins as the elite team in the Eastern Conference.

"I thought we were, even before the trades," Sykora said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08059/861096-61.stm

Lord Stiller
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
what kinda sucks is we now really only have 5 top forwards, there is a big dropoff to our 6th guy which is Dupuis? i guess

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
what kinda sucks is we now really only have 5 top forwards, there is a big dropoff to our 6th guy which is Dupuis? i guess

The way I look at, when Crosby returns we will have two very good #1 and #2 lines and solid #3 and #4 lines. That automatically makes this team a better hockey team.

By grabbing Hossa it gave this team two lines with all six players capable of putting the puck in the net, particulary if Staal starts taking advantage of the chances he has been getting all season long.

If we did not grab Hossa we would have had Crosby returning in time for the playoffs only to center a line with the likes of Armstrong and Christensen or centering a line with only one legitimate scoring threat instead of having two on each side of him. Since Shero grabbed up Hossa, we are able to keep the Malkin line intact if Therrien decides to do so.

After the trade Shero pulled off yesterday I'm not worried about our offense in the least bit. I'm more concerned with our defense and how they will hold up come playoff time.

Speaking of defense, it looks like Brian Campbell is making an instant impact in SJ....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=280227029

That's not counting his poke check at his own blue line that resulted in a goal or another huge open ice hit.

Lord Stiller
02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
here are the lines for tonight:

Malone - Staal - Hossa
Dupuis - Malkin - Sykora
Minard - Talbot - Kennedy
Ruutu - Taffe - Laraque

Gonchar - Gill
Whitney - Sydor
Letang - Orpik

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
here are the lines for tonight:

Malone - Staal - Hossa
Dupuis - Malkin - Sykora
Minard - Talbot - Kennedy
Ruutu - Taffe - Laraque

Gonchar - Gill
Whitney - Sydor
Letang - Orpik

Well, it looks like that group will have to hold down the fort until Sid returns. Having Hossa and Dupuis in the equation sounds alot better than Christensen and Armstrong, that's for sure.

Im still pumped over Hossa...lol. They draft Sid, now you surround him with talent. Unfortunately, many wanted Shero to sit on his hands and sign the LeClair's, Recchi's and Palffy's of the league or watch this team play with one legitimate scoring line. When you draft a player of Sid's caliber, your suppose to surround him with legitimate talent. Not over the hill veterans or role players who will net you ten to twelve goals a year.

Plus, it also sends a message to the fans and to your players that you want to win and that you are willing to do what's necessary in order to win, something the Pirates have not done over the last fifteen years.

Counselor
02-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm sad to see Armstrong go, but this looks like good trade. Hossa brings no only scoring, but also good two way play---something necessary if we're making it far in the playoffs this year.

Word on the street is Lemieux told Shero to go get Hossa---because up until the 11th hour it didn't seem like he was even trying.

I believe the Pens will be able to sign Hossa if they want to. Pens are looking to be a yearly Cup contender, with a new arena on the way, a strong fan base, two of the leagues top 5 players and an owner who is a legend. They are the kind of team that can sign players for less than market value.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Word on the street is Lemieux told Shero to go get Hossa---because up until the 11th hour it didn't seem like he was even trying.

I've heard that reported a number of times since the trade was pulled off. IMO, it's all speculation. Some yahoo at TSN originally broke the story with zero proof.

While it did come down to the final 2-3 hours of the TD, I'm not sure Shero was pushed by anybody in upper management to make a push for Hossa.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Let's get this show on the road.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
They break down and Boston leads 1-0.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
2-0 Bruins. Conklin made a real stupid error.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 07:11 PM
3-0. This team has NOT shown up

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Fleury has entered.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
So many blown chances.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
We have to score now on the Power Play.

X-Terminator
02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I wake up to find the Pens down 2-0, and now it's 4-0. Wow.

I was worried about this game because a lot of times the first game after a blockbuster trade like they made is a little lackluster, and the team doesn't play well because they're trying to find chemistry. That's fine. Get it out of their system now, come back and be ready to play Ottawa on Saturday. No worries here.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I can't wait to hear the bitching and moaning after this game is over if we end up losing....

"This trade was a mistake from the beginning, I called it!!!"

"We gave up too much!!!"

"Shero messed up the chemistry!!!"

"Hossa sucks!!!"

"Colby made Sidney laugh!!!"

"Fire Shero even though I wasn't around when Patrick was here!!!"

"Fire Shero even though I jumped on after 1991!!"

:yawn:

The Duke
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

I was worried about this game because a lot of times the first game after a blockbuster trade like they made is a little lackluster, and the team doesn't play well because they're trying to find chemistry. That's fine. Get it out of their system now, come back and be ready to play Ottawa on Saturday. No worries here.

yeah, that's what I was thinking

just avoid injuries and be ready for saturday .It'll be hard to win this one tonight

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
The same fans bitching about the Hossa trade should ask Craig Patrick who he traded Glen Murray for........... Eddie Olczyk. Another brainer right there.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 07:43 PM

That's for sure and heck, maybe we'll blow them out.

X-Terminator
02-28-2008, 07:45 PM
yeah, that's what I was thinking

just avoid injuries and be ready for saturday .It'll be hard to win this one tonight

Shit happens, man. We have 3 new players in the lineup and they haven't had any practice time (and really won't have any significant time for the next 10 days or so) - they're not going to pick up the system in one day. It's going to take a couple games for them to get in a rhythm and feel comfortable in our system. With the talent we now have, I'm more than willing to wait, because when they're all on the same page and Sid comes back, they will be deadly.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 07:45 PM
3-0. This team has NOT shown up

The whole team is flat. From Malkin to Conklin. The team is trying to find chemistry. It's going to take longer than a game for players to be able to read each other and become comfortable with each other. That's hockey. It's not like football, where you have your set position and you only worry about your assigned job.

Anybody who has played organized hockey knows this is not a one game ordeal. It's going to take time. Pittsburgh8baller knows (the only other person besides myself that I know of who played organized hockey), it aint easy to automatically adjust to new players thrown in the line up. It takes a few games.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
The whole team is flat. From Malkin to Conklin. The team is trying to find chemistry. It's going to take longer than a game for players to be able to read each other and become comfortable with each other. That's hockey. It's not like football, where you have your set position and you only worry about your assigned job.

Exactly. Some of these guys who were on the first line got moved around tonight. I just hope we don't make it a constant thing till Crosby skates again.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Hossa has a sore right knee and will not return. Oh boy. Add gas to the fire. Let the sky is falling crowd start up. Precautionary I'm sure. The guy didn't get lit up and he's not injury prone, so let's hope the idiots take a deep breath before taking the bridge. It's a sore knee in a 4-0 demolishing.

The again, after hearing some of the comments since the trade was complete, they can take the bridge for all I care.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Exactly. Some of these guys who were on the first line got moved around tonight. I just hope we don't make it a constant thing till Crosby skates again.

It's going to take time. How long it will take depends on the players. Eitherway, Therrien will be switching them up again once Crosby returns. He already stated he plans on putting Hossa on a line with Crosby.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice to know Laraque is looking for a fight now that we are down 4-0 and Boston has no reason to thrown down.

Good job buddy. I look forward to you vanishing come playoff time.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Hossa could be out 1 week.

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Slight MCL sprain, out one week, not the same knee he injured at the beginning of his career. The guy has missed around a dozen games since he entered the league.

Deep breath even though I can read and hear the comments now, between this game and the injury.....lol.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Pascal showing he can score. Good Job.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Just in from the Pens Site.

IF you are attending Sunday's game with Atlanta, take your terrible towels.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Neither Goalie seems to be able to have a good night.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Just a bad night all around.

X-Terminator
02-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Hossa's injury could be a setback in that it may now take a little longer for him to gain chemistry with the guys, but other than that, I'm glad it isn't a serious injury.

Let's put this one in the memory bank and get ready to play a reeling Ottawa squad who just lost again 3-1 to the Flyers. Hopefully we can keep them reeling.

SteelCityMan786
02-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Hossa's injury could be a setback in that it may now take a little longer for him to gain chemistry with the guys, but other than that, I'm glad it isn't a serious injury.

Let's put this one in the memory bank and get ready to play a reeling Ottawa squad who just lost again 3-1 to the Flyers. Hopefully we can keep them reeling.

and get pay back.

Borski
02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Just in from the Pens Site.

IF you are attending Sunday's game with Atlanta, take your terrible towels.

Is it a common thing to see terrible towels at Penguins games? if so I might take mine to the game in Tampa.

X-Terminator
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I also have to say that nobody should be surprised that he did get hurt in his first game, given all of the key injuries the Pens have had this year.

HometownGal
02-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Shit happens, man. We have 3 new players in the lineup and they haven't had any practice time (and really won't have any significant time for the next 10 days or so) - they're not going to pick up the system in one day. It's going to take a couple games for them to get in a rhythm and feel comfortable in our system. With the talent we now have, I'm more than willing to wait, because when they're all on the same page and Sid comes back, they will be deadly.

This is where I'm at XT. Finding their niche with their new teammates isn't going to happen overnight, but they will and this team is going to be first-class. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
02-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Is it a common thing to see terrible towels at Penguins games? if so I might take mine to the game in Tampa.

Since Myron Cope passed, the Penguins had terrible towel night. They were also waiving them during our XL season, even Sid got in on the action....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K8ZQFWP2L._AA216_.gif

Is it common to see them at Mellon? Not really. If anything, I notice them more during away games.

83-Steelers-43
02-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Pascal showing he can score. Good Job.

That was very nice to see. I think he's going to net us some goals in the future. He's got some nice speed and he's aggressive.

As for Hossa, once he get's on a line with Sid all will be good. IMO, this team can hold down the fort until the playoffs/Sid arrive. I'm really not all that worried. If he blew out his knee completely or had a high ankle sprain, then I would be very concerned. Last night was just bad and I'm sure some of it had to do with chemistry, but they just looked flat from start to finish. If they play the way they did last night, it really won't matter how the chemistry is coming along.

Conklin looked uncomfortable. Fleury didn't look much better. I'm also keeping in mind that Boston is flying high right now. There's a reason why they won their last six games, shutting out Ottawa in the process. I think you have to give some credit to the Bruins. We came out flat and they took full advantage of the opportunity.

Borski
02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Since Myron Cope passed, the Penguins had terrible towel night. They were also waiving them during our XL season, even Sid got in on the action....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K8ZQFWP2L._AA216_.gif

Is it common to see them at Mellon? Not really. If anything, I notice them more during away games.

well since the game I am going to is an away game, thats perfect then, thanks :cheers::tt02:

X-Terminator
02-29-2008, 06:30 PM
And just to add injury to insult...to injury...Ryan Whitney tweaked his groin again last night and may not play tomorrow, as per Sportsbeat. I can definitely feel Michel Therrien's pain when he says the guys are tired because they are consistently playing with "half a lineup," and that every time they think they see the light at the end of the tunnel, someone else gets hurt. Oh well, we're just going to have to suck it up, go out there tomorrow and get the 2 points with the guys we have.

Also, Connor James and Alex Goligoski have been recalled for emergency purposes.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only who feels Laraque has looked like shit over the last month...

Therrien expresses displeasure with team
Saturday, March 01, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OTTAWA -- It's not unusual for Penguins coach Michel Therrien to gather his players around him at the start of practice.

Yesterday, it was a little different.

Therrien made it clear in a short speech that he is not satisfied with the team's performance lately. He strongly suggested increased focus and decreased joking around in practice.

Then, he oversaw a crisp, tightly run session at Scotiabank Place as the team prepped for its game today against the Ottawa Senators.

"I think all the guys saw it coming," winger Ryan Malone said. "We've won some games we probably shouldn't have and lost a couple others.

"It's kind of good to get our butt kicked."

Although his message was team-wide, Therrien seemed to single out Georges Laraque, and toward the end of the session directed the winger to do cross-ice sprints along the center red line.

"We want Georges to move his feet a little better," was the only explanation Therrien gave.

Laraque quietly took a few questions afterward, mostly offering yes or no answers, but indicated the sprints could be a way to make up for low ice time. He has not topped eight minutes the past four games.

"I'm not playing in games, so he gave me extra in practice," said Laraque, who has no points and a plus-minus rating of minus-3 over the past 18 games

Forward Max Talbot said when Therrien challenges one player, the rest listen.

"Sometimes you have to point a finger and everybody realizes, OK, come on, guys, and that's what happened," said Talbot. "I think he's right on. Lately, I don't know if it's a lack of focus or what, but we have to sharpen up. That starts with practice."

Although the Penguins, depleted by injuries, have remained in strong contention for Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference titles, they are 1-1-2 over their past four games and have done some soul-searching after each of those games.

There was the 4-3 overtime loss a week ago to Ottawa in which the Penguins had what Therrien counted as 30 scoring chances but blew a three-goal lead.

And a 2-1 shootout loss to San Jose the next day that left the Penguins feeling as if they didn't give their all.

They beat the New York Islanders on the road, 4-2, Tuesday, largely because goaltender Ty Conklin made 50 saves. Most recently, the Penguins lost, 5-1, Thursday at Boston.

"It's fair to say we haven't been playing the way we're capable of," Malone said. "It starts in practice.

"Usually, when we're put to a challenge, we come through pretty well. Everybody knows they have to pick up their game."

Therrien conceded that his team has done a masterful job holding off most of the rest of the conference while playing long stretches without many injured players -- forwards Sidney Crosby, Gary Roberts and Adam Hall, defenseman Mark Eaton and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who likely will make his first start since Dec. 6 in a home game tomorrow against Atlanta.

Even newcomer Marian Hossa, the prolific winger, acquired from Atlanta in a trade at the Tuesday deadline, lasted less than two periods as a Penguin before leaving with a knee injury.

"We're facing a lot of adversity, and you get away from your focus," Therrien said. "We're missing tons of players. We can't feel sorry for ourselves. The only way we are going to be able to perform is we need our focus to be 100 percent.

"You need breaks to win hockey games, but, when your work ethic is there, that is when you get more breaks. I don't think the work ethic was 100 percent there [Thursday night], and we didn't get any breaks."

Talbot didn't interpret Therrien's crackdown as an end to the upbeat atmosphere the Penguins have enjoyed since they climbed into contention around midseason, just a reminder that there needs to be balance.

"It's good to have fun and be loose, but, at some point, you realize what can happen," he said. "You look at [Philadelphia, which recently went 0-8-2]. They were battling for first place and, a few weeks later, they're almost out of the playoffs.

"[Yesterday] was a good example of how good we can be. I think it was the best practice in weeks."

Which, when you get down to it, was just what Therrien was trying to coax from his frequently changing roster of players.

"We've got new players coming in, [injuries]. There's a lot of distractions," Therrien said.

"But, as a coach, it's my responsibility to ... bring them back on track.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08061/861761-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 07:50 AM
well since the game I am going to is an away game, thats perfect then, thanks :cheers::tt02:

Your very welcome. Enjoy the game and I hope you see a win. :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Also, Conklin is getting the start today (Fleury probably tomorrow) and while Whitney does have a groin problem, he did practice yesterday.

Eitherway, much like some wanting to see Crosby rush back, it's probably better to rest him today. Bigger fish to fry.

Lord Stiller
03-01-2008, 09:12 AM
we might go with 7 dmen today adding Gogolinski

that way we can only play Gill on PK

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 09:52 AM
we might go with 7 dmen today adding Gogolinski

that way we can only play Gill on PK

After the way Gill played against Boston, I would love to see Goligoski get some legitimate playing time today.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Some comforting comments from Hossa...

Although the newly acquired sniper left his debut Thursday night early after spraining a right knee ligament against the Boston Bruins, he saw enough to know he's going to enjoy his time in Pittsburgh.

''It sounds like fun, playing with (Sidney) Crosby or (Evgeni) Malkin or (Jordan) Staal. I just felt good last night in the one period and to tell you the truth, I'm really looking forward to playing with those guys,'' said Hossa, who was picked up by the Penguins on Tuesday from the Atlanta Thrashers in one of the biggest trades of this year's deadline day.

- TSN

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Hopefully Coach Therrien took a nice piss in their corn flakes in the last article. Might keep a motivation mood in them.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Coach Therrien took a nice piss in their corn flakes in the last article. Might keep a motivation mood in them.

And after watching the way they showed up the other night, a kick in the arse is what the doctor ordered. Let's see how they respond. Every other time he has called them out in the past they have responded in a very postive manner.

Hopefully it will work this time around. Coming out flat footed like they did against Boston is not going to cut it, injuries or no injuries.

MarylandSteeler
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree with what you are saying 83, but I also think that another reason that they came out looking flat was because they weren't used to playing with each other. They hadn't had a chance to really gel with each other. They need to get some chemistry going and then I think that we will look better.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree with what you are saying 83, but I also think that another reason that they came out looking flat was because they weren't used to playing with each other. They hadn't had a chance to really gel with each other. They need to get some chemistry going and then I think that we will look better.

I agree. That's why I stated a few pages back that I believe chemistry was partly to blame for the loss against the Bruins.

At the same time, you have your goalie looking out of sync while giving up cheap goals (nothing to do with chemistry) and the rest of the team looking flat footed, as if they felt all they had to do was show up and they would get the win (nothing to do with chemistry).

The Bruins were playing like they were fighting for a playoff spot. Which they are. We were playing like we already clinched the eastern conference.

Lord Stiller
03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
After the way Gill played against Boston, I would love to see Goligoski get some legitimate playing time today.

no kidding

shoot, Goligoski might even be an upgrade over Sydor

he has a lot of potential

big game today, a win puts us 1st in the East

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Don't if it was mentioned, Goligoski and James are playing on an emergency call up basis.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 01:06 PM
no kidding

shoot, Goligoski might even be an upgrade over Sydor

he has a lot of potential

big game today, a win puts us 1st in the East

I would love to see it, but I'm still not sure Goligoski is ready to take over a starting role. Offensively he has the tools. His defensive game and putting on weight is something he needs to work on.

Eitherway, I would just like to see him get more playing time than he did the last time he was up here back in early February. With having both Scuderi out and Whitney possibly out, there is a good chance that day may come today.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
NICE MALONE! 1-0 lead right past Gerber Baby.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Gotta to kill the penalty here.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Good Job on the PK.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Pathetic Job all the way around.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 02:44 PM
The Refs should know what a GOALTENDER INTERFERENCE is. The first goal scored by Ottawa had Redden contacting with Conklin's Leg Pad. The rules state that IT CAN NOT BE DONE!

Now due to even further Bogus D they trail 2-1. Nice Job guys. Real Nice Job. Let's just let Ottawa score all day. That sure is going to win a hockey game

GOD DAMNIT!

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Playing sloppy hockey once again in our own zone which resulted in two Sens goals. We play basic and smart hockey, it's 2-0 Pens instead of 2-2. Dumb mental errors.

Beautiful pass by Malkin to Malone for the first goal.

Ruutu suckering Lapointe in for two minutes was awesome. Beautifully done by Ruutu. Very smart play which resulted in a Penguins PP goal by Sykora.

We should have the momentum after scoring our second goal with under a minute left in the first. Hopefully we feed off that goal and come out ready to play in the second.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
2-2. This game could have been worse.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Penalties that happened at the 18:56 Mark of the Period

Pittsburgh:
Evgeni Malkin - 2 Min. Boarding
Ryan Malone - 2 Min. Roughing

Ottawa:
Anton Volchenkov - 2 Min. Roughing
Chris Phillips - 2 Min. Cross Checking

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:10 PM
LaPointe Penalty. Time for a PP.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
$^%#$^#@^#@^@#^@#^@^@#

That's all

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
*sighs*...

More sloppy and dumb play. That's what happens when you decide to wind up a slapper all damn day long. It get's blocked by Alfredsson and they score a SH goal.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
GOAL! Nice Job Malkin. Tie Game at 3.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Pens score!!! Malone.

If not for stupid and sloppy play, it would be 3-0 Penguins right now.

Congratulations to Goligoski on his first NHL point (assist).

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Pens score!!! Malone.

If not for stupid and sloppy play, it would be 3-0 Penguins right now.

Congratulations to Goligoski on his first NHL point (assist).

I guess I acted too quickly.

I don't care though. As Long as we win the game and get 2 points

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
3rd Penalty by LaPointe. Nice Job Dumbass.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Come on, we have to score on this PP.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Great Save Ty.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Going to have another PP.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:24 PM
We have a Playoff Atmosphere in the Capital of Canada.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Jason Spezza is the next moron.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Gotta score on this PP.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Looks like another wasted Power Play.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Great Job By Ruutu.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Dean McAmond 2 Min. Hooking.

LET'S SCORE ON THE PP this time.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
We are getting our PP chances in this second period. Take advantage of them.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
We are getting our PP chances in this second period. Take advantage of them.

We haven't scored on one since LaPointe started his 3 Penalties.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I guess I acted too quickly.

I don't care though. As Long as we win the game and get 2 points

IF we get out of this game with two, I won't care either. But right now, we have to get those two points first. Up to this point, we are in a tied hockey game, Ottawa is pressuring our point when we on the PP and we are coughing up the puck.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:37 PM
And Gonchar is taking a Double Minor

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:37 PM
We need to score some shorthanded.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Gonchar takes the stupid double minor for retaliating against Alfredsson.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Gonchar takes the stupid double minor for retaliating against Alfredsson.

:iagree:
We just saw how stupid it is right there.

They've been making so many stupid errors.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
And Ottawa scores on the PP...:coffee:

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:40 PM
:iagree:
We just saw how stupid it is right there.

They've been making so many stupid errors.

He's cruising with a dumb slapper decision at the point which resulted in a goal and now he has a stupid penalty taken which has resulted in another Senators goal. They still have over a minute to play on the PP.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
NICE! Great Job by Conklin. That Save was a tough one.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2008, 03:42 PM
And they score again.

Gonchar has cost us three goals in one game today. F-ing unbelievable. :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah this is how we win games. Wimp Out and give ottawa free goals. Giving them 5 goals and only scoring 3 ourselves will win us 80+ games a year. Good Job.

(End Sarcastic Statement)

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
This team does NOT look like they want to play today.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
This team could also do a better job with Shot Selection.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Let's get a goal in this last minute 30 to go.

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Looks like Gil is giving Spezza all he can handle.