PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

HometownGal
10-30-2006, 03:10 PM
This is indeed great news! :thumbsup: This young kid has rightfully earned his spot on the roster and is very exciting to watch. Congrats Jordan and may we see many, many more goals, including those awesome short-handed goals that are becoming your specialty!

LETS GO PENS! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Cairns Recalled: http://www.blackandgoldinsider.com/display/ShowJournal?moduleId=737698&categoryId=68323

Also, looks like the Flyers are trying to shop Gagne: http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2006/10/30/flyer_fire_sale_starting_with/

83-Steelers-43
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
This west coast trip is going to tell a good bit about what this Penguin team is all about. San Jose and Anaheim. It's not going to be easy.

X-Terminator
10-31-2006, 02:01 AM
It's a good thing Cairns has been recalled, because we're going to need him when we go into Anaheim, especially. They had 3 fights in their game tonight and lead the NHL in fighting majors. He may be needed in the LA game as well if they decide to dress their enforcer. But regardless, yes, this is going to be a major test for the Pens to see where they are. If we can somehow get 3 of 6 points out of those games, I'd be happy.

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree that was the only thing to do. I went to the game in Philly on Saturday, it was awesome to see the young kids quiet the Flyers fans. Crosby totally embarassed Hatcher. Loved it!

Keeping Staal was the obvious and correct decision. In my opinion the kid earned his job six games ago. His penalty killing ability is excellent. Has a nose for the puck while having a long reach. My only concern is that when Malone is back and healthy they will send the kid back down on the fourth line. In my opinion Malone has been nothing but a disappointment. He has been completely invisible, much like the first half of last season.

Then there is Recchi's spot. With the exception of the last game, he has been Malone-like. Invisible and unable to hang with the young kids on this team and on the opposing team. If I'm paying a guy $2.35 million a year, I expect more than "veteran leadership". I expect points. One goal while either playing on the first or second line is not cutting it in my book. For the most part, he's getting a pass because of what he brought to the team back in the early 90's (some are still living in that period).

As for Cairns, I'm glad to see him healthy and back up on this team. Sid, Malkin and Staal will need all the protection we can give them. Roy is absolutely useless and when he actually does fight, he tends to lose. It's crazy that he is getting paid one million a year (thank Patrick). While it was nice to see Thorburn throw down with Hatcher the other night, I would still like to see a guy who we are paying for exactly that purpose step up to the plate.

Glad to hear you saw a great game. There should be more of those to come.

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Nice to hear the Penguins beat writer has the right idea......

A question posed to Penguins beat writer Dave Molinari on his Internet Q&A:

Q: Mark Recchi looks like a totally different player this year, what brought about the change? - Gerry Mangold, Richmond, Va

A: Better teammates, mostly. Recchi's most striking statistic this season is that he has only one goal in eight games, even though he has assisted on six by other players. No one expects him to ring up 35 or 40 anymore, but when he's playing on one of the top two lines, he has to score more often. The Penguins simply don't have enough skilled forwards to be able to get by without tangible contributions from one of them.

Dave Molinari's Penguins Q&A appears on the Post-Gazette's Internet site Friday's at www.post-gazette.com

SteelCityMan786
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
This west coast trip is going to tell a good bit about what this Penguin team is all about. San Jose and Anaheim. It's not going to be easy.

Forget, tomorrow night, the Penguins play the Kings as well. The Penguins should at least try to get 2 of 3.

83-Steelers-43
11-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Forget, tomorrow night, the Penguins play the Kings as well. The Penguins should at least try to get 2 of 3.

In all right, we should win tonight against the Kings. The Sharks and Ducks could be a different story. Ruutu and Ekman should both come in handy on this trip.

Good article SCM dealing with this upcoming road trip out west. Should be interesting to watch, although these 10:00-10:30 start times are horrible.

Pens' road trip expected to strengthen ties

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 1, 2006

The Penguins understand the identity of a playoff-caliber hockey team is not often forged during the first full week of November.
Still, they understand full well the opportunity presented by their trek through California over the next six nights.

"Having this trip early will help us see where we are at," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "If we have a good trip, it will be something to build on."

The Penguins have won six of nine games to start their season.

The start has provided tantalizing hope to a franchise without a postseason appearance since the 2000-01 season.

However, five of the Penguins' six victories have come against opponents from a seemingly weak Atlantic Division.

In California, they will face far stiffer competition --- especially in Western Conference powers San Jose (8-4-0, 16 points) and Anaheim (9-0-3, 21 points).

"Obviously, it's going to be a good test for us," Gonchar said. "We have three games against quality teams. We'll get to see how we stack up."

The road trip that begins tonight with a game in Los Angeles will likely go a long way toward determining whether the Penguins can develop the strong chemistry that is often associated with winning clubs.

Over the course of nearly a week, the players will have a chance to strengthen the bond that was formed during the club's team-building experience at West Point, N.Y., during the preseason.

"We have been home a lot, so in this stage of the season it is a nice thing to leave again," coach Michel Therrien said. "We'll be together as a family. It's a good thing early in the season that we will all live together for a little bit."

The Penguins have taken all six of their available points away from Mellon Arena this season, which might explain why some players are eager to briefly get away from Pittsburgh.

"Road trips are great for your hockey club," right winger Mark Recchi said. "You are with each other basically 24/7. It gives you an opportunity to be with each other, go out for nice dinners and be around each other a lot."

Trips to the West Coast were formerly commonplace in the NHL, but with a schedule that now places a premium on divisional and conference battles, some clubs do not get the bonding benefit of a trip across the country.

"It's good to get all the guys together," center Sidney Crosby said. "It's tough when you are away for that long of a period of time. You really need to rally. It's definitely a challenge and something that can really bring a team together."

The foundation for the Penguins consists of young stars such as forwards Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury. However, with veterans such as Gonchar and Recchi serving as team leaders, there is reason to believe that a lengthy road trip comes at the perfect time to reacquaint the players with one another off the ice.

"It is good for the team to do this at least once per year," said Recchi, who added that the Penguins will be served well by the early nature of their trip. "It's important. It helps build your character and shape your identity. Last year, we never had a trip like this."

Last year, the Penguins were essentially out of the playoff picture by November.

Right now, their long-term aspirations are lined with silver, the color of the Stanley Cup.

Of course, to realize such a lofty goal, they must first hold their own far from home.

"We're going to be tested," Recchi said. "We're all ready for it. We have a great opportunity to make a statement."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_477607.html

SteelCityMan786
11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
In all right, we should win tonight against the Kings. The Sharks and Ducks could be a different story. Ruutu and Ekman should both come in handy on this trip.

Good article SCM dealing with this upcoming road trip out west. Should be interesting to watch, although these 10:00-10:30 start times are horrible.

Pens' road trip expected to strengthen ties

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 1, 2006

The Penguins understand the identity of a playoff-caliber hockey team is not often forged during the first full week of November.
Still, they understand full well the opportunity presented by their trek through California over the next six nights.

"Having this trip early will help us see where we are at," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "If we have a good trip, it will be something to build on."

The Penguins have won six of nine games to start their season.

The start has provided tantalizing hope to a franchise without a postseason appearance since the 2000-01 season.

However, five of the Penguins' six victories have come against opponents from a seemingly weak Atlantic Division.

In California, they will face far stiffer competition --- especially in Western Conference powers San Jose (8-4-0, 16 points) and Anaheim (9-0-3, 21 points).

"Obviously, it's going to be a good test for us," Gonchar said. "We have three games against quality teams. We'll get to see how we stack up."

The road trip that begins tonight with a game in Los Angeles will likely go a long way toward determining whether the Penguins can develop the strong chemistry that is often associated with winning clubs.

Over the course of nearly a week, the players will have a chance to strengthen the bond that was formed during the club's team-building experience at West Point, N.Y., during the preseason.

"We have been home a lot, so in this stage of the season it is a nice thing to leave again," coach Michel Therrien said. "We'll be together as a family. It's a good thing early in the season that we will all live together for a little bit."

The Penguins have taken all six of their available points away from Mellon Arena this season, which might explain why some players are eager to briefly get away from Pittsburgh.

"Road trips are great for your hockey club," right winger Mark Recchi said. "You are with each other basically 24/7. It gives you an opportunity to be with each other, go out for nice dinners and be around each other a lot."

Trips to the West Coast were formerly commonplace in the NHL, but with a schedule that now places a premium on divisional and conference battles, some clubs do not get the bonding benefit of a trip across the country.

"It's good to get all the guys together," center Sidney Crosby said. "It's tough when you are away for that long of a period of time. You really need to rally. It's definitely a challenge and something that can really bring a team together."

The foundation for the Penguins consists of young stars such as forwards Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury. However, with veterans such as Gonchar and Recchi serving as team leaders, there is reason to believe that a lengthy road trip comes at the perfect time to reacquaint the players with one another off the ice.

"It is good for the team to do this at least once per year," said Recchi, who added that the Penguins will be served well by the early nature of their trip. "It's important. It helps build your character and shape your identity. Last year, we never had a trip like this."

Last year, the Penguins were essentially out of the playoff picture by November.

Right now, their long-term aspirations are lined with silver, the color of the Stanley Cup.

Of course, to realize such a lofty goal, they must first hold their own far from home.

"We're going to be tested," Recchi said. "We're all ready for it. We have a great opportunity to make a statement."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_477607.html

I hate the 10-10:30 starts that are on school nights. Can't see any part of it until the morning on the highlights.

83-Steelers-43
11-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I wish they would have least made the Saturday game an afternoon game instead of a 10:30 start.

83-Steelers-43
11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Also, if all the Ducks fight like Fedoruk, we should be fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c59ZN8APog

X-Terminator
11-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Poor Fedoruk...he's actually a pretty good fighter, but in fairness, he was fighting Derek Boogaard, who is 6'7", 275 lbs. and could probably break a stone wall with one punch with very little effort. He pretty much got his face smashed in by that punch and is going to be out for at least 2 months, maybe longer.

Anyway, big win by the Pens tonight, coming from behind twice to beat the Kings 4-3 in OT! It was their first win in the last 11 games vs. the Kings and have won their first 4 road games for the first time since 1994. Malkin made history by scoring a goal in his 6th straight game, netting 2 tonight including the game winner in OT to become the first player since the NHL's inaugural season in 1917 to score a goal in his first 6 games. I didn't get to see the game at all, but I did listen to it on the radio - it was nice hearing Mike Lange calling the PBP again. Not the Pens' best effort and they have got to get off the better starts - 3 straight games they've given up the first goal, and even though they won all 3, they can't keep putting themselves behind early. If they do that against teams like San Jose and Anaheim, they'll get run out of the building - they are simply too good. That's now 5 straight wins for the Pens and they're back in first place all by themselves.

Next up is San Jose in the battle of the 2 youngest teams in the league (SJ is #1). Should be a very entertaining game and hopefully the Pens can make it 6 straight and Malkin sets a new record!

83-Steelers-43
11-02-2006, 08:19 AM
WANTED: Authorities are looking for this man. He is wanted for one count of tripping and one count of interference. Referee's Wes McCauley and Dean Warren are already in custody for aiding and abetting. If you have any information on his whereabouts, please contact the NHL. Thank you.

http://images.sportsnetwork.com/hockey/nhl/allsport/losangeles/blake_rob2.jpg

83-Steelers-43
11-02-2006, 08:32 AM
With the exception of our line changes (horrible timing for the most part), Whitney playing scary once again in his own zone and D. Moore not knowing how to drop his stick, great game Pens. Keep it up and bring on the Sharks!

HometownGal
11-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Poor Fedoruk...he's actually a pretty good fighter, but in fairness, he was fighting Derek Boogaard, who is 6'7", 275 lbs. and could probably break a stone wall with one punch with very little effort. He pretty much got his face smashed in by that punch and is going to be out for at least 2 months, maybe longer.

Anyway, big win by the Pens tonight, coming from behind twice to beat the Kings 4-3 in OT! It was their first win in the last 11 games vs. the Kings and have won their first 4 road games for the first time since 1994. Malkin made history by scoring a goal in his 6th straight game, netting 2 tonight including the game winner in OT to become the first player since the NHL's inaugural season in 1917 to score a goal in his first 6 games. I didn't get to see the game at all, but I did listen to it on the radio - it was nice hearing Mike Lange calling the PBP again. Not the Pens' best effort and they have got to get off the better starts - 3 straight games they've given up the first goal, and even though they won all 3, they can't keep putting themselves behind early. If they do that against teams like San Jose and Anaheim, they'll get run out of the building - they are simply too good. That's now 5 straight wins for the Pens and they're back in first place all by themselves.

Next up is San Jose in the battle of the 2 youngest teams in the league (SJ is #1). Should be a very entertaining game and hopefully the Pens can make it 6 straight and Malkin sets a new record!

I fell asleep early last night, XT, and didn't get to watch the game. Thanks for the heads-up!

Evgeni is a sight to behold on the ice, isn't he? That kid is just amazing. Here's to Malkin breaking more rook records in his path! :cheers:

In reviewing the box score this morning, I see that Crosby had 3 assists, Recchi had 2 and they kept the penalties down, which is a big improvement. They were spending way too much time in the sin bin lately (with a little help from the refs). The Kings only had 27 shots on goal, which is also a huge improvement over the numbers we've seen lately, and that is a credit to our D. Speaking of which - my boy, Gonch, had an assist on Malkin's game winning goal! :banana:

Doesn't it feel great to say that the Pens are in "sole possession of first place"? How long has it been since we Pens fans have said that? I know the season is in its infant stages, but this team is a very exciting team to watch on the ice! Way to go Pens - let's keep that winning streak going in San Jose and Anaheim! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
11-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Gotta love the jerkoffs at the Staple Center:

Three Stars of the game:

1) Dustin Brown (1 goal, 1 assist)

2) Jordan Staal (1 goal)

3) Mark Recchi (2 assists)

How about...

1) Evgeni Malkin (2 goals/GW goal)

2) Sidney Crosby (3 assists/GW assist)

3) Dustin Brown (1 goal, 1 assist)

They just didn't want to give any love to one of if not the best 1-2 paring in the NHL.

HometownGal
11-02-2006, 09:21 AM

I fell asleep early last night, XT, and didn't get to watch the game. Thanks for the heads-up!

Evgeni is a sight to behold on the ice, isn't he? That kid is just amazing. Here's to Malkin breaking more rook records in his path! :cheers:

In reviewing the box score this morning, I see that Crosby had 3 assists, Recchi had 2 and they kept the penalties down, which is a big improvement. They were spending way too much time in the sin bin lately (with a little help from the refs). The Kings only had 27 shots on goal, which is also a huge improvement over the numbers we've seen lately, and that is a credit to our D. Speaking of which - my boy, Gonch, had an assist on Malkin's game winning goal! :banana:

Doesn't it feel great to say that the Pens are in "sole possession of first place"? :thumbsup: How long has it been since we Pens fans have said that? I know the season is in its infant stages, but this team is a very exciting team to watch on the ice! Way to go Pens - let's keep that winning streak going in San Jose and Anaheim! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
As expected and rightfully so.........

Malkin named NHL Rookie of the Month
Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The NHL has named Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin as its rookie of the month for October.

Malkin scored goals in each of the five games he played in October. On the first day of November, he tied a league record by scoring a goal in his sixth NHL game, a feat that hadn't been accomplished for 89 years.

For the season, Malkin has 7 goals and 4 assists.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06306/735182-100.stm

X-Terminator
11-03-2006, 01:45 AM
And that despite him missing the first 4 games of the season. It's really amazing what he's done in such a short period of time. Pens fans aren't the only ones who are impressed, though - here's a great article about what some of his peers and opponents have had to say about him:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=282301&page=NewsPage&service=page

(CP) - Six games, seven goals, four assists. Even Super Mario is impressed with Evgeni Malkin.

"It's quite amazing to see what he's doing the first few games of his career in the NHL," Lemieux said of the Pittsburgh Penguins rookie in an interview with The Canadian Press on Thursday. "We knew he was a great talent but not to that extent.

"From what I've seen so far he's going to be a great player for many years to come," added Lemieux.

The outgoing Penguins owner knows a thing or two about lasting first impressions, scoring his first career goal on his first career shot on his first career shift on Oct. 11, 1984 - 20 months before Malkin was born.

Too bad, says Lemieux. He would have loved a chance to play on a line, in his prime, with Malkin and 19-year-old superstar Sidney Crosby.

"I wish it was 15 years earlier," said the 41-year-old Lemieux. "It's quite amazing to see him play with Sid and see what they're doing now at their age."

Pittsburgh coach Michel Therrien put Malkin, a natural centre, on Crosby's line with winger Colby Armstrong for an Oct. 24 game against New Jersey. It was instant chemistry.

And that despite the fact Crosby and Malkin can't even speak the same language.

"These guys, they see the ice so well," said Lemieux. "That's why they're both world-class players. They don't need to speak on the ice. They see the ice, they see exactly what they want to do, they anticipate the play really well and they read off each other - which is a big key in being successful and being a great player. They both do that very well."

It was in that Oct. 24 game that Malkin truly underscored his arrival, taking a long pass from Crosby and dipsy-doodling through the Devils' defence tandem of Brad Lukowich and Colin White before beating superstar goalie Martin Brodeur with a jaw-dropping, reach-around backhand move.

On hand that night in Pittsburgh was none other than Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

"I'm a Stars and Pens season-ticket holder and have been going to hockey games since I was a kid," Cuban wrote Thursday in his blog. "This was the first time I literally just stood, my jaw dropping in amazement and just shook my head. The most amazing goal I had ever seen."

It was the same kind of reach-around move the right-handed Lemieux perfected during his hey day.

"The move he made on the defenceman coming across and having the presence to go on his backhand and pulling Marty out of the net, that was quite a move," said Lemieux. "But I think the more impressive move was the way he beat that defenceman cutting across and waiting until the last second. It was quite amazing."

Even Lukowich had to admit he was impressed, although he says part of the confusion on the play was a bad line change on his part.

"But he made really what should have been a nothing play into a spectacular play," Lukowich said from East Rutherford, N.J. "He's going to be an exciting player to watch."

The 20-year-old Malkin was named the NHL's rookie of the month for October despite appearing in only five games, his season delayed by a dislocated shoulder sustained in his first pre-season game at Moncton on Sept. 20.

"It is amazing that he can come into this league, miss most of training camp, and then step in in his first six games and score seven goals," Kings defenceman Rob Blake said from Los Angeles.

Blake saw it first-hand Wednesday night as Malkin scored a pair, including the overtime winner, in a 4-3 Penguins win over the Kings.

In doing so, Malkin became the first NHL player in 89 years with goals in each of his first six games.

"His first goal, the puck was on his stick for less than a second," said Blake. "It was a great feed by Crosby and Malkin put the puck where he had to. He didn't hit our goalie in the chest, he put it in the corner where it was supposed to go. Those things you can't teach."

Just like a fan, Blake caught himself wondering what Crosby and Malkin would do next.

"Sitting there on the bench last night, just watching the plays they were attempting to make, it was pretty nice.

"That pairing is very tough to defend," added Blake. "They both have some need to score. They want the puck on their stick every time they're on the ice and they want to score. I don't know if you can teach that. It's a hunger they have. They had chance after chance."

New York Islanders centre Alexei Yashin played with Malkin last year at the Olympics and also faced him Oct. 19 - when Malkin had a goal and an assist in his second career NHL game.

"I've known him for a few years now. He's a complete player," said Yashin. "He's very skilled, he's a great skater, he can pass, he can score, he can shoot. And what's even better for him is that he's playing with Sidney Crosby. Those two guys, with their skill level and talent, can do a lot of damage."

Added Isles head coach Ted Nolan: "We played him his second game and you could tell that kid is going to be the real deal. Hockey fans are going to be treated watching him and Crosby do some magical things over the next few years."

The Devils have already faced the duo twice this season.

"You can just tell with those two, they look at each other, they're excited to play with each other," said Lukowich. "They're looking to set each other up and they also don't want to let each other down. They're going to be a tough duo to play against for quite some time."

Veteran defenceman Adam Foote of the Columbus Blue Jackets faced Malkin on Oct. 21 and understood right away how hard it is to defend him.

"With guys like that, talented players who are big and strong on the puck, you have to take their percentages away," said Foote. "If you overplay them, like when you overplayed Lemieux, you get in trouble. I think he's the real deal."

So far fellow Russian star Alexander Ovechkin is looking good on the prediction he made while accepting the Calder Trophy last June in Vancouver.

"I think next year Evgeni will win rookie of the year," Ovechkin said at the time, adding that he was somewhat jealous of the 1-2 punch the Penguins would have.

"They're both unbelievable players and Pittsburgh is very lucky they have both Crosby and Malkin."

Cuban echoed that though in his blog.

"You may or may not be an NHL fan, but if you are a fan of greatness in the making, watch the Pens," Cuban wrote. "Crosby and Malkin? They will not only remind Pens and NHL fans of Mario and Jaromir Jagr, but could have them wondering whether watching them play together is what watching Mario and Gretzky playing together would have been like."

83-Steelers-43
11-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Kings center Michael Cammalleri said this to the Los Angeles Times about the Penguins: "We had to be ready because we knew none of those guys were out in the bars [Tuesday] night. They aren't old enough to get in." :sofunny:

cbalke
11-03-2006, 09:50 AM
hahahahahahah!!!!

skidboot
11-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Malkin has to hit the weights. IF he does......he'll REALLY start to light it up.

83-Steelers-43
11-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't know, it was funny watching Rob Blake attempt to light him up (while Malkin wasn't expecting it) and Rob Blake bounced off Malkin like a ping-pong ball.

LarryNJ
11-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I wish they would have least made the Saturday game an afternoon game instead of a 10:30 start.

It's Saturday, you can stay up past your bedtime! :yawn:

:wink02:

83-Steelers-43
11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Thankfully the game tomorrow is a 4:15 start and not a 1:00 start or I would have a rough time making it to Heinz tomorrow.

Still hate the 10:00-10:30 starts.

83-Steelers-43
11-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Wow, San Jose fans are just as bad as Bengal fans when it comes to crying and moaning. Cali hockey fans, go figure.

SteelCityMan786
11-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Anyone see the Penguin goal that got disallowed?? That was a total BS Call. It was totally in. The only reason I see they disallowed it is because a player used his stick to get it out.

83-Steelers-43
11-04-2006, 11:56 PM
They disallowed the first Penguin goal because the ref blew his whistle before the puck crossed the line even though the goalie never had control of the puck.

Fleury has to learn how to control those rebounds. Costed us a goal tonight. Staal and Welch look great tonight. Sounds like Eaton might have a broken wrist. That hurts.

X-Terminator
11-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, the streaks come to an end in San Jose - the winning streak and Malkin's goal-scoring streak.

Man, I really, really, REALLY hate losing!!!!!:banging:

SteelCityMan786
11-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Well, the streaks come to an end in San Jose - the winning streak and Malkin's goal-scoring streak.

Man, I really, really, REALLY hate losing!!!!!:banging:

Unfortunately that's how it goes. But we'll comeback.

83-Steelers-43
11-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately that's how it goes. But we'll comeback.

I agree. The Sharks are a damn good hockey team. We hung in there with them. Can't win them all. Bring on the Ducks!!! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
11-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree. The Sharks are a damn good hockey team. We hung in there with them. Can't win them all. Bring on the Ducks!!! :thumbsup:

The Season is 82 Games not 1. Can't hang your head around 1 game.

skidboot
11-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Anyone see the Penguin goal that got disallowed?? That was a total BS Call. It was totally in. The only reason I see they disallowed it is because a player used his stick to get it out.

Did you see the goal disallowed a couple nights ago in Edmonton!

Complete and total miss by the ref who NEVER should of made the call in the first place. He wasn't in position to make the call.

Mick McGeough said Shawn Horcoff made a hand pass off the faceoff....he won it cleanly and Edmonton scored on the play only to have McGeough wave it off.

If the Oilers miss the playoffs by 1 pt....

I know this has nothing to do with the Pens but with the non-call talk going on I figured I'd bring it up.

I personally think the refs are calling WAYYYY too many cheap penalties. If it is an obvious call...make the call. Too many times I've seen both players look at the ref wondering who is getting the penalty.

I've seen lots of players lately getting nailed with 10minute penalties and Game Misconducts due to frustration with the refs.

PP's are up....scoring is up.....

Boy oh Boy isn't it exciting.....

Its a way different game nowadays and in many ways not for the best IMO.

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Army off Malkin/Crosby line: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_478376.html

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm hoping Therrien gives Fleury the night off tonight, rest him up for this last west coast game and start him back up against TB on Wednesday night. Tonight is going to be a very tough game, but this isn't last year's Penguins. :cheer:

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Eaton is out indefinately and will have wrist surgery: www.pittsburghlive.com...78477.html

83-Steelers-43
11-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Pens lose in OT 3-2.

Penalties killed us tonight.

Eitherway, I'll take 3 points out of a possible 6 from the west coast.

X-Terminator
11-07-2006, 12:35 AM
3 of 6 points was what I was hoping for, so mission accomplished. The point also puts the Pens in 1st place ahead of the Rangers and Devils since they have a higher win %.

HometownGal
11-07-2006, 07:39 AM
3 of 6 points was what I was hoping for, so mission accomplished. The point also puts the Pens in 1st place ahead of the Rangers and Devils since they have a higher win %.

I agree - I'll take the 6 points and be more than satisfied with it. They were competitive in all 3 games on the road, but as 83 said, the penalties didn't help last night. 12 penalties in a game is excessive and the Pens PK wasn't on its game. Thibault played pretty well and stopped 37 of 40 shots against a very good Ducks team. Bring on the Lightning! :bouncy:

X-Terminator
11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately with Eaton out for however long with his dislocated wrist, the PK is going to suffer...though in their defense they faced the top 2 PP units the past 2 games. Still though, they have got to stay out of the penalty box on a consistent basis. Just from what I saw and heard during the final 10 minutes that I got to listen to, they were lucky to get a point out of that game.

83-Steelers-43
11-07-2006, 09:26 AM
In all right, that game should have been lost during that second period.

Prosdo
11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Very true 83. I was surprised they held on. So many power plays for the Ducks. Good job by the Pens to hold in there though.

SteelCityMan786
11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
3 Of 6 Points out west is nothing to be ashamed of. Good Job Pens.

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Penguin related news: Carolina blew a game for us last night. Had a 3-2 lead over NJ with one minute left in the game and NJ score's a PP goal and they went on to beat Carolina in the SO.

NOTES -- According to shop.NHL.com, Sidney Crosby's Penguins jersey was the top-selling item in the NHL last month. Evgeni Malkin's jersey was seventh on the list dominated by the Buffalo Sabres' who had five players' jersey in the top 10 -- goalie Ryan Miller (2), forwards Maxin Afinogenov, Chris Drury and Jason Pominville (4-5-6) and forward Daniel Briere (9), Former Penguins star Jaromir Jagr's jersey was the 10th-best seller. The same Web site reported that sales for October were up 95 percent from last year in the same month and that sales of Penguins merchandise had increased 86 percent.

Oh yeah, we better play a better second period than we did against the Ducks. The Bolts outscore opponents 25-9 in the second period.

HometownGal
11-08-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Pens game tonight. XT and I will be there screaming our lungs out. :bouncy:

I'm not at all surprised that Sid's jersey is the top seller - he's quite a phenomenem to watch, as is Malkin. My next jersey will be a #37 - hopefully Santa will be good to me this year. :saintnick: (Psssst - XT - you're chummy with Brett - put a bug in his ear, will ya? LOL!) :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Another tough loss but grabbed a point out of it. Minus the 4:10 with Ekman, this team was flat last night.

Our defense looked bad, Thorburn is not first line material and I believe Malkin is starting to show that he is in fact a rookie in the NHL. This team still needs a winger who can play with Malkin and Crosby instead of watching Therrien switch up the lines every shift. Team needs to learn how to play three solid periods of hockey. I was not pleased with last nights showing. Better show up against a tough Ottawa team.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Aggreed 83. The Penguins needed some big goals and they didn't do so. It's just heartbreaking. At least They get 1 out of it.

skidboot
11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Be patient with the Pens. The season isn't a sprint, its a marathon.

Pens should be trying right now IMO to find a way to lock up Crosby and Malkin long term. It would be a shame to lose them at what??? 25? New CBA thing..... Its going to be soooooooo tough. I'm a Montreal fan and I know Crosby grew up a Habs fan.

I also think the Pens getting a couple of D-Men who can really get the puck up ice quickly would really benefit the team.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Be patient with the Pens. The season isn't a sprint, its a marathon.

Pens should be trying right now IMO to find a way to lock up Crosby and Malkin long term. It would be a shame to lose them at what??? 25? New CBA thing..... Its going to be soooooooo tough. I'm a Montreal fan and I know Crosby grew up a Habs fan.

I also think the Pens getting a couple of D-Men who can really get the puck up ice quickly would really benefit the team.

Malkin Is locked up 3 years I think, it's Crosby we have to get a new contract to because his is up next year.

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 10:13 AM
I am patient, just simply pointing out what I feel needs to be done in order for this team to take it to the "next level". As of right now, the defense needs work and they need somebody to play with Crosby and Malkin.

As for locking up Malkin and Crosby, I'm not concerned. I'm confident both of those players (Crosby in particular) will be on this roster for a very long time. Eitherway, teams lose players. If we lose a Malkin, other players come along. Teams have done it in the past and still stayed competitive. I'm more concerned about what we do while having these players right now.

skidboot
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
other players like Malkin DON'T come along. This guy is a helluva player.
Best is yet to come from him. He's got that thing that all the greats have. I think he should hit the weights get some size up top.

BTW I'd love to see Crosby in Montreal and you can bet Montreal will offer him the Max.
Koivu would become our 2nd line C and it would strengthen us considerably (well duh).

We all have to keep an eye on what the cap number will be.

Keep an eye on Attendance also. NJ, Wash, NYI are having probs....I'm sure there are more.

Jeremy
Give Shero some time to evaluate the roster. He's already shown he's not shy about pulling the trigger on trades.

cbalke
If we lose a Malkin, other players come along.

whoa...we haven't had a malkin around here since...83. this kid is the real deal. gotta lock him in.

to me, that's like saying jarri kurri or mark messier weren't important to wayne gretzky.

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 10:24 AM
other players like Malkin DON'T come along. This guy is a helluva player.
Best is yet to come from him. He's got that thing that all the greats have. I think he should hit the weights get some size up top.

BTW I'd love to see Crosby in Montreal and you can bet Montreal will offer him the Max.
Koivu would become our 2nd line C and it would strengthen us considerably (well duh).

We all have to keep an eye on what the cap number will be.

Keep an eye on Attendance also. NJ, Wash, NYI are having probs....I'm sure there are more.

I'm not denying Malkin's talent. But this is the new NHL. Some players you just can't keep. That's why you either draft or trade for other players who may not be at the same level as a Malkin, but can net goals and help win a cup.

I'm sure every franchise in the NHL would love to have Sidney Crosby. At the same time, that's one player on this teams roster who will be locked up and on this team for a long, long time.

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
whoa...we haven't had a malkin around here since...83. this kid is the real deal. gotta lock him in.

to me, that's like saying jarri kurri or mark messier weren't important to wayne gretzky.

Once again, not saying he's not the real deal, but if it comes down to either keeping Malkin or Crosby, I'm taking Sid. It's not going to be easy to keep both of those on our roster while staying solid in other areas (not counting Fleury and Staal). Personally, I'm not having a heart attack over this situation because I have faith in Shero and I care about what's going on right now, not three or four years down the road.

I'd love to be able to lock up Crosby and Malkin for the long term while being good in other areas (defense, more than one scoring line, ST's, goaltending), I'm just not sure if it's going to be possible.

skidboot
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Remember...Crosby grew up a Habs fan. IF he becomes a RFA don't be surprised to see him in Montreal.

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Remember...Crosby grew up a Habs fan. IF he becomes a RFA don't be surprised to see him in Montreal.

I understand that. It's been made clear. He's an habs fan. Many players in the league past and present are Habs fans.

From all indications (interviews) he seems pretty content here in Pittsburgh. Let me rephrase that, he has stated on a number of occasions that he is comfortable in Pittsburgh. He enjoys the privacy, the city and the fans. He stressed (along with Lemieux) the privacy factor. If the price is right and he's surrounded by talent, I see no reason why he would leave.

Lemieux was an Habs fan....big deal. He came here when we were a complete joke, he couldn't speak the language and didn't have a role model (like Sid does) to live with and show him the ropes. Complete culture shock for the most part. Lemieux is now a city icon and lives comfortably in Sewickly with a wine cellar that I would kill to own.

Sidney Crosby "In My Own Words" on FSN Pittsburgh. If you ever get a chance, watch it.

X-Terminator
11-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Both Crosby and Malkin will be retained. I don't know why anyone would think they wouldn't be, especially with a new arena on the horizon. Sid's rookie deal ends after next season and Malkin's the following season, and the Pens already plan on giving Sid a long-term deal for the max salary. If anyone might be let go, it'll be Staal.

X-Terminator
11-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Pens game tonight. XT and I will be there screaming our lungs out. :bouncy:

I'm not at all surprised that Sid's jersey is the top seller - he's quite a phenomenem to watch, as is Malkin. My next jersey will be a #37 - hopefully Santa will be good to me this year. :saintnick: (Psssst - XT - you're chummy with Brett - put a bug in his ear, will ya? LOL!) :wink02:

I'm working on it, don't you worry - that jersey will be under your tree on Christmas morning! :wink02:

I wasn't really expecting much out of the team last night - it was their first game back home after a long road trip, and those are always tough, especially when they had only one day off after flying back from LA. I'm happy with the point they got out of the game and it keeps them within striking distance. Besides, they're such a young team - why would anyone realistically think they would be consistent all season long? I know I didn't. They are going to have ups and downs and growing pains, and fans are going to have to understand that.

I will say though that the loss of Eaton is really going to hurt this team - big time.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Tonight should be interesting. We have an Ottawa team coming into Mellon Arena riding a 0-4-1 slump with a 5-8-1 record overall.

I'm just hoping they do not decide to break out of that little slump tonight against the Penguins. With players such as Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Worth noting: Let's try and get the first goal tonight. Ottawa is 0-5 when allowing the first goal. While Ottawa has the second worst PP in league, let's not test it tonight and lay off the amount of penalties we have been taking lately. Also, how about some of our wingers step up tonight? Army? Recchi?

Let's Go Pens!!

skidboot
11-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Definitely get up early in the Game. Gerber isn't playing with any kind of confidence.

Beware though.....Super talent on that team. They can explode Offensively with the best of them IMO.

They make alot of real dumb plays. Out of sync so far this season. PP is way down and I'm pretty sure the PK isn't doing all that well either.

IMO the Sens have stopped listening to Coach Murray.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Ottawa is in town.

LET'S GO PENS!

X-Terminator
11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
34 shots for Ottawa after 2 periods. 2 PERIODS!!!

Running around in our own end.

Giveaway after giveaway.

I'm sorry, but this team's defense is just abysmal right now.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 09:26 PM
First Period: Fleury gives up two horrible goals. Both on horrible rebound control and one on a bad angle. Did not come out and challenge the shooter like he has been doing all season.

Second Period: Fleury turns it around. Still giving up the rebounds but is coming out and challenging the shooter/cutting down the angle but this team is giving up way too many shots. At this point in time, we are currently being out shot 34-12. Penalties being a big part of the problem. Losing 30-15 on faceoffs doesn't help either. Much like the last two games, giveaways are haunting this team.

I'm not even going to bother ranting on Recchi. Much like since game one, I will just let his actions speak louder than words. Army is getting praised by Bob and Paul for the "little things". That would be great if we were paying him for the "little things". He has zero goals up to date.

IMO, up to this point in the game (end of two), it's not as if Ottawa looks all the great. We are looking very bad. Wake up Pens!

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Nice job Scuderi 5-2 Sens.

X-Terminator
11-10-2006, 09:41 PM
This is easily the worst game they've played since the Canes game, and it might be worse than that. Horrible performance tonight.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 09:43 PM
This is the worst game I have witnessed this season.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 09:44 PM
What a goal by Talbot!!! 5-3 Sens. 11:24 left. SH goal.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
SHOOT. THE. PUCK.

Sid needs to shoot. Staal dumping it off to the useless $2.35M Recchi all night. Shoot the $%&@#$& puck!!

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 09:55 PM
6-3 SENS and this game is pretty much over.

WANTED: Scoring wingers under the age of 86 and who are willing to play a full season of hockey. Veteran leadership will not be used as an excuse for poor play and lack of goal scoring.

X-Terminator
11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
I didn't like Recchi's re-signing at the beginning, and I really don't like it now. We could have used that cash to bring in an Anson Carter or Petr Sykora...nah, let's waste it on a 39 year old has-been instead. Shero screwed the pooch on that one, big time.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I better be quiet about Recchi. The "Early 90's Mullet Patrol" might come after me.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I better be quiet about Recchi. The "Early 90's Mullet Patrol" might come after me.

yeah 83, Recchi's fans might after your behind.:toofunny:

X-Terminator
11-10-2006, 10:14 PM

They can come after me all they want. Recchi is DONE. A total waste of money and a roster spot.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 10:15 PM
yeah 83, Recchi's fans might after your behind.:toofunny:

They are there in force every game. Hopefully they break out of that trend in the near future. "Experience the Evolution" should give them the hint. :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2006, 11:31 PM
They are there in force every game. Hopefully they break out of that trend in the near future. "Experience the Evolution" should give them the hint. :wink02:

Definantly. I think it should get them out. I'm not a biased shower to any player. I'm a fan of EVERY PLAYER on the Penguins.

83-Steelers-43
11-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Some amusement to hold us over until the Canes vs Pens tonight.

Now this! Is a hockey fight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj27321A3UY

X-Terminator
11-11-2006, 09:57 PM
5 straight losses *sighs*

Will they EVER stay out of the freaking penalty box??? 13 PP chances for the Canes tonight, including 6 5-3's. Absolutely ridiculous.

This team had better start picking up its play and having some discipline out there, or this season will end up like last season.

HometownGal
11-12-2006, 10:15 AM
5 straight losses *sighs*

Will they EVER stay out of the freaking penalty box??? 13 PP chances for the Canes tonight, including 6 5-3's. Absolutely ridiculous.

This team had better start picking up its play and having some discipline out there, or this season will end up like last season.

Agreed. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near Therrien post game.

There were some pretty lame calls in that game, as well, which didn't help. Did anyone see for certain if that 3rd goal actually crossed the goal line or not? That could have been a huge momentum swinger.

X-Terminator
11-12-2006, 02:42 PM

There were some pretty lame calls in that game, as well, which didn't help. Did anyone see for certain if that 3rd goal actually crossed the goal line or not? That could have been a huge momentum swinger.

Ekman's goal was good - he was adamant about it, as was Therrien. It's just the replays were inconclusive according to the refs, and that's why it was disallowed. I think the game may have been lost right there, unfortunately.

skidboot
11-13-2006, 09:55 AM

HometownGal.....there are lame calls in every game. Really horrible calls. When both players turn to the ref wondering who got the penalty there is a problem.

Let the players play.

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Philly got out of our city lucky tonight. In all right that score should have been 6-2 Pens instead of 3-2.

Prosdo
11-13-2006, 10:18 PM
I only caught the last 5 minutes of the game. Unforunately my two year old nephew would not let Sponge Bob come off the TV lol. Go Pens!

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
I only caught the last 5 minutes of the game. Unforunately my two year old nephew would not let Sponge Bob come off the TV lol. Go Pens!

That's why you need to give him a hip check. :wink02:

Prosdo
11-13-2006, 10:39 PM
lol Poor little kid would fly across the room. I'm glad I had my laptop I kept refreshing nhl.com

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 08:52 AM
lol Poor little kid would fly across the room. I'm glad I had my laptop I kept refreshing nhl.com

Besides the 2 on 1 top shelf goal by Sid and a 2 on 1 one timer slapshot by Staal, you didn't miss much. We completely out played them for the majority of the game. 39 total shots. You witnessed the highlight of the game at least. Eitherway, this win came at the right time. Got us out of that minor slump we were in while giving us a confidence boost. We are going to need it against Buffalo this Friday night. :wink02:

skidboot
11-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Young team the Pens have and there is going to be alot of ups and downs.
Gotta get a few D-Men who can head man the puck quickly out of their own end.

Transition game is sooooo important in Today's NHL.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Prosdo, if you have ComcastONDEMAND, you can watch a 15 minute replay since the game was televised on VERSUS.

Prosdo
11-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Buffalo is going to be tough. Let's go Pens!

Prosdo
11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Prosdo, if you have ComcastONDEMAND, you can watch a 15 minute replay since the game was televised on VERSUS.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up 83. I'll check it out.

HometownGal
11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
HometownGal.....there are lame calls in every game. Really horrible calls. When both players turn to the ref wondering who got the penalty there is a problem.

Let the players play.

Of course there are lame calls in every game, no matter what the sport. Considering I have been a lifelong Pens fan, the only games I really care about are games involving the Pittsburgh Penguins and if I see what I deem to be horrible officiating that adversely affects my team, yer darned tootin' I'm going to speak up about it as most fans do. :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Buffalo is going to be tough. Let's go Pens!

It don't matter, we'll take em!

X-Terminator
11-15-2006, 12:28 AM
If anyone has seen the Sabres play - and I have - that team is just unbelievable. They may have the best transition game of any team in the NHL, which, as skidboot said, is very, very important these days. They aren't the biggest team in the league, but they are very fast, are a great puck-control team and forecheck/pressure as well as anybody. They are also the highest scoring team in the league, averaging around 4 goals per game. It's going to be a tall order for the Pens, no question about it, and I'm just hoping they keep it close. :wink02:

skidboot
11-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Buffalo is missing their top Goaltender and a couple of D-Men if I remember correctly.

Buffalo can really skate. Their Defense gets the puck to the Forwards in a flash and they are gone.

Be first on the puck and go to the net! Good crisp passes out of your own end will negate the Buffalo forecheck.

I think Buffalo is averaging 4.48 GPG.

Jordan Staal leads in shooting %!

Good luck to the Pens and Pens fans.

83-Steelers-43
11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/te...rts/2130.0.php

Evgeni Malkin can continue to play for the Penguins, thanks to a ruling by a judge Wednesday in federal court in New York.

Judge Loretta Preska denied a preliminary injection that sought to prevent Malkin from playing for the Penguins while a lawsuit over his contract proceeds. The injunction was filed by an attorney representing Malkin’s former Russian club, Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

NHL Reaction:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ticleid=283141

"We are pleased with Judge Preska's ruling today which will allow these players to continue to play for their NHL clubs.

"We are hopeful that today's decision will persuade the plaintiff Russian clubs to discontinue their strategy of litigation and to join with the Russian Ice Hockey Federation, through their representative, the International Ice Hockey Federation, in good faith negotiations intended to facilitate Russia's participation in the global agreement that governs European players' transfer to the NHL."

skidboot
11-15-2006, 09:20 PM
The Ruskies are just looking to hit the jackpot.

Old news.

83-Steelers-43
11-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Wow....Ottawa 4 Buffalo 2 last night.

skidboot
11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Buffalo's 4th game in 6 nights.

They were due for a loss.

Ottawa is a better (much better) team than that record dictates.

BTW, Philly beat Anaheim also.

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Thibault getting the nod tonight against Buffalo. Jordan Staal is now living with Recchi instead of in a hotel. Also, Keith Wehner, the Penguins' general manager of media relations the past six years, resigned.

Prosdo
11-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Tonight should be a great game. 8PM on FSN.

skidboot
11-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Jump on them fast!

Buffalo will be a wee bit P'd for losing to Ottawa.

X-Terminator
11-17-2006, 12:05 PM
It's too bad they don't have a mercy rule in the NHL, because I have a feeling this is going to be an ugly game for the Pens tonight.

And with Thibault starting, that means Fleury will be in goal against the Rangers tomorrow night. Let's hope Thibault can keep it under 6...

floodcitygirl
11-17-2006, 09:14 PM
bump

X-Terminator
11-17-2006, 10:50 PM
The story of this game - the Sabres capitalized on their PP opportunities, and the Pens didn't. It's a shame, too, because from the period and a half that I saw, the Pens played pretty well and I thought they deserved a better fate. But they have got to find a way to shore up their PK unit until Eaton gets back in the lineup - it, and the defense overall, has not been very good since his injury.

Good to see them hang in there with the Sabres until the end, though. If only Malkin hadn't whiffed on that attempt to stop the puck along the boards right before the empty-netter...

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2006, 10:51 PM
PP looks like shit (it has been). Crosby and Melichar taking dumb penalties tonight. Thibault played solid. Team left him out to dry much like they did against Carolina and Anaheim. We played the best team in hockey and lost. It happens for a team in reconstruction mode. Recchi and LeClair need to go. I respect "veteran leadership". I just don't respect "dinosauric veteranship". These guys are done.

Time to bounce back against NYR. Let's Go Pens!!!

X-Terminator
11-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Maybe if they wouldn't insist on putting Recchi on the top PP unit and put Michel Ouellet out there instead, they would be better. You saw that play he made at the end for Crosby's 2nd goal - the guy flat-out knows what to do with the puck around the net. Plus, he is a right-handed shot that can park himself on that left side, something that they desperately need. Gonchar and Whitney need to start shooting the puck more often on the PP than they do - they have been passing up way too many chances to shoot in order to force-feed the puck to Crosby and Malkin. Both of them have great shots - USE THEM! Malkin and Ouellet are both so good at deflections that it only makes sense for them to get the puck to the net.

Also, if the Pens are actively trying to make a deal, they need to get a right-handed shooting D-man who can also play the point on the PP. It can't hurt.

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2006, 11:54 PM
You have a 5 on 3 and Malkin doesn't touch the puck once while on the ice doesn't help. At this point, I'll take a winger. At the same time, w/e happened to what's his name?.................wait......hold on.............oh yeah!! Gonchar on our PP?

83-Steelers-43
11-18-2006, 04:24 PM
SCM786, do they televise the games in Hollidaysburg or do you pick up more Flyer games than anything else? Just wondering.

Also, should be a good game tonight. Fleury is rested. PP needs to break out of this little slump. They are due to rack up some goals tonight. I'm sure Jagr will grab #600 tonight. Let's go Penguins, Sharks, Leafs and Panthers tonight!!!

Penguins come away with the win tonight.................4-2. LET'S GO PENS!!!

Side Note: Petrovicky is supposed to return to Pittsburgh today after making a final appearance with the Baby Penguins last night. Malone is expected to have his cast removed Monday. Is not expected to resume play until at least the first week in December.

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2006, 04:36 PM
SCM786, do they televise the games in Hollidaysburg or do you pick up more Flyer games than anything else? Just wondering.

Also, should be a good game tonight. Fleury is rested. PP needs to break out of this little slump. They are due to rack up some goals tonight. I'm sure Jagr will grab #600 tonight. Let's go Penguins, Sharks, Leafs and Panthers tonight!!!

Penguins come away with the win tonight.................4-2. LET'S GO PENS!!!

Side Note: Petrovicky is supposed to return to Pittsburgh today after making a final appearance with the Baby Penguins last night. Malone is expected to have his cast removed Monday. Is not expected to resume play until at least the first week in December.

I pick up ALL of the Penguins Games. Hollidaysburg is in the Pittsburgh Sports Market. We're only 2 Hours from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh times 2 is how long it takes us to get to Philly. The only sports thing we get Philly is the Eagles. But that's only when the Steelers and the Eagles are not playing at the same time on the same network. The tie-breaker would go to the Steelers since we are closer to Pittsburgh then Philly.

83-Steelers-43
11-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I pick up ALL of the Penguins Games. Hollidaysburg is in the Pittsburgh Sports Market. We're only 2 Hours from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh times 2 is how long it takes us to get to Philly. The only sports thing we get Philly is the Eagles. But that's only when the Steelers and the Eagles are not playing at the same time on the same network. The tie-breaker would go to the Steelers since we are closer to Pittsburgh then Philly.

Very cool. Thanks. I wasn't very sure where Hollidaysburg was located. I knew it was east of here, just wasn't sure if it was closer to Pittsburgh or Philly.

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Very cool. Thanks. I wasn't very sure where Hollidaysburg was located. I knew it was east of here, just wasn't sure if it was closer to Pittsburgh or Philly.

Well now you know.

83-Steelers-43
11-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Well now you know.

:celebrate :wink02:

83-Steelers-43
11-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Nice 3-1 Penguin win. Minus Whitney turning the puck over the Shanny for the Rangers only goal we played a smart/disciplined hockey game.

Did Mark Recchi turn 23 since his return from Buffalo? Then again, when you have Sidney Crosby setting you up with saucer passes that always helps. Eitherway, Recchi was on a mission.

SteelCityMan786
11-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Nice 3-1 Penguin win. Minus Whitney turning the puck over the Shanny for the Rangers only goal we played a smart/disciplined hockey game.

Did Mark Recchi turn 23 since his return from Buffalo? Then again, when you have Sidney Crosby setting you up with saucer passes that always helps. Eitherway, Recchi was on a mission.

He must have turned back to 23 if he was having that good of a game.

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Pens up 3-0 after one.

Goals: LeClair (PP). Whitney. Moore.

Assists: Whitney. Gonchar. Crosby. Moore. Ekman.

Sidney Crosby's pass on the Moore goal was unbelievable. It's so much fun watching this kid play. The score should be 4-0 Pens but that bum Hatcher pushed the net off it's moorings on a Malkin PP goal and the officials disallowed it (nor did they call the penalty). Colby Armstrong can't buy a goal this season. Kid had a clear cut shorthanded breakaway and blew it. You have to put those away.

Shots on goal after one: Pens (13) Cryers (10)

Keep it up Pens!!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 08:08 PM
LET'S GO PENS! Nice to see this fast start.

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Pens up 5-2 after two.

Goals: Crosby. Gonchar. Gagne. Sanderson.

Assists: Whitney. Malkin. Recchi. Malkin. Pitkanen. Forsberg. Pitkanen.

Physical game as expected. We started taking too many penalties in that second period which resulted in two Flyer PP goals. Stay out of the box and we got this team beat.

Shots on goal in the second period: Pens (9) Cryers (11)

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Pens win 5-3

Goals: Meyer.

Assists: Pitkanen. Gagne.

Good win tonight and our 4th consecutive win against the Cryers. Bring on Boston!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Another great win.

BRING IT BRUINS!

X-Terminator
11-21-2006, 12:52 AM
It's so much fun making the Flyers our bitches this season :yep: :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Crosby: Sore Groin

The only real downside for the Penguins is that center Sidney Crosby missed part of the second period and all of the third with a sore groin. The injury will be evaluated today, at which time his status for tomorrow's game against Boston at Mellon Arena might be determined.

"It's a muscle you use a lot in hockey, so it's not the best one to be sore," Crosby said. "If it's a groin, you don't want to keep pushing it and make it worse."

Crosby, who does not have a history of groin trouble, said his problem was not caused by a specific incident, that "a couple of times I was leaning on guys, and felt it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06325/740056-61.stm

and...........

Crosby, who leads the Penguins with 30 points, came up with a sore groin shortly after scoring a goal at 5:47 of the second period. He did not play in the third period "as a precautionary measure," according to coach Michel Therrien, who added that he was "not concerned" about the injury.

A Penguins spokesman said Crosby wasn't expected to miss any further playing time. Their next game is at home Wednesday against Boston.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/hockey/nhl/11/20/bc.hkn.penguins.flyers.ap/index.html

HometownGal
11-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on Sid. Though we have a ton of talent on this team, Sid is its heart and soul.

Great game by the Pens last night in Philly. Both Whitney and Gonch played superbly and it was nice to see Johnny LeClair get a score. All in all, I thought Fleurry played very well and made some nice saves. The Pens have a pretty tough schedule the next couple of days with the Bruins, Isles and Rangers - hope to keep that streak going.

SteelCityMan786
11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
It's so much fun making the Flyers our bitches this season :yep: :thumbsup:

PAYBACK'S A BITCH PHILLY!

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Crosby optimistic he can play

By Rob Biertempfel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sidney Crosby is hopeful the groin injury he suffered Monday night will not keep him out of the Penguins' game tonight against the Boston Bruins.

"I'll know tomorrow morning if it feels good enough to go," Crosby said Tuesday after sitting out practice at Mellon Arena. "It's not something that's going to feel completely better overnight. Hopefully, I'll heal fast."

Crosby said his groin began to tighten during the second period of the Penguins' 5-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers. He left the ice in the second period and did not return.

Crosby appeared to be in some discomfort yesterday but was walking without much difficulty. He said he will play tonight only if he feels there is no risk of doing more serious damage.

"You have to be smart and look at the big picture," Crosby said.

If Crosby cannot go against Boston, Evgeni Malkin would center the first line, Jordan Staal would center the second line and ...

"Let's not (speculate) because we could discuss that for an hour, if this or that guy is not playing," coach Michel Therrien said. "Let's cross the bridge when we get to the water, eh?"

Therrien paused and laughed at his turn of phrase.

"That's a French expression. 'Let's shovel when it's going to snow' and 'Let's cross the bridge when we get to the water.' I got a few like that."

Good thing, because Crosby was not the only Penguin to miss yesterday's midday skate because of an injury.

Forward Nils Ekman left the ice just 15 minutes into practice after he was struck above his left eye by a puck. Ekman was bleeding as he went to the locker room, and he did not return to the workout.

"He should be all right," Therrien said. "Just a little cut."

Despite his limited ice time Monday, Crosby scored a goal and an assist against the Flyers. He said his injury did not happen on any specific play.

"It just started to tighten up on me in the second period," Crosby said. "It just got tighter and tighter."

With the Penguins leading, 5-2, in the third, Therrien saw no need take a chance and rush Crosby back into the game.

Crosby wanted to test his injury by skating yesterday, but the coaching staff clamped down.

"He's a young kid, and he wants to be on the ice," Therrien said. "We have to push him off it sometimes. He's that type of guy."

With Crosby sidelined, the Penguins' supporting cast came through against the Flyers. Ryan Whitney notched his first goal in 16 games. Dominic Moore scored his fourth goal on a backhander. Crosby set up Moore's goal with a fantastic feed in transition.

"I knew (the puck) would get there somehow," Moore said. "I knew I had to be ready for it to get to me because he finds a way to do it."

Ronald Petrovicky drew praise for Therrien for his hard-nosed play against Philadelphia. Chris Thorburn and Jarkko Ruutu also helped neutralize the Flyers' aggressive attack.

"That's part of the chemistry of our team that we tried to change over the summer," Therrien said. "Those guys certainly do a great job for us."

If Crosby cannot play tonight, the Penguins certainly will miss his offensive prowess. But he said they will not lack for spark.

"We're all confident that, no matter who's playing, we can come together and win any game," Crosby said. "I want to be a part of it. I want to be out there, battling with those guys."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_480916.html

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Crosby to miss tonight's game with Bruins
Wednesday, November 22, 2006

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins' center Sidney Crosby will sit out tonight's game against Boston at Mellon Arena because of a sore groin.

He strained the muscle during the Penguins' 5-3 victory in Philadelphia Monday.

Crosby is the NHL's fourth-leading scorer, with 10 goals and 20 assists in 19 games.

The Penguins recalled forward Erik Christensen from their farm team in Wilkes-Barre. They also placed defenseman Eric Cairns on injured reserve because of post-concussion symptoms.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06326/740487-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Hopefully the troops can find ways to win without him

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy
11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I've adopted Papa Roach's To Be Loved as my theme song for the Pens this season.

Toi Be Loved (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/geffen/papa_roach/audio/paramour_sessions/to_be_loved/00_lo.asx?siteid=ms)

I came to get down to get some f**king respect

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
As much as I want him to play, sitting him is the smart move. Non-division game. We are going to need him in the weeks to come (next five games are division teams). Hopefully Christensen can actually step it up this time around at the NHL level. Kid plays great down in WBS.

What will be interesting to watch is what happens when Malone and Eaton come back. Who do you dump? Personally, I would send Ouellet back down. Besides scoring on the PP, the guy can't net goals 5 on 5. On defense I'd have to believe it's between Melichar or Orpik. I would pick Melichar. Whitney scoring goals is the only reason why I wouldn't choose him at this point in time. I'm still not sold or comfortable with is defensive play/decision making.

X-Terminator
11-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Malone was the subject of trade rumors and the Pens actually had a deal done that would have sent him to the Canucks for Matt Cooke, but his injury killed the deal. I still expect him to be traded. Regardless of what happens with Malone, I see Ouellet being sent down.

Welch will be the odd man out when Eaton comes back.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Hopefully the troops can find ways to win without him

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. We'll pull it off. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Heartbreaker, but 1 point is better then none.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 10:21 PM
PP struggled minus Sid. Ruutu with the bonehead penalty to give Boston the #3 goal. Tough loss. Time to win these divisional games.

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Friday we have the first of the 2 New Yorks, We need to get at least 3 of 4 points.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Hopefully Sid's ready to play this Friday.

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Hopefully Sid's ready to play this Friday.

:iagree: That will provide some BIG help to the Offense.

HometownGal
11-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Malone was the subject of trade rumors and the Pens actually had a deal done that would have sent him to the Canucks for Matt Cooke, but his injury killed the deal. I still expect him to be traded. Regardless of what happens with Malone, I see Ouellet being sent down.

Welch will be the odd man out when Eaton comes back.

I, for one, hope the Pens keep Ouellet right where he is. I like his style of play, he's a hard worker and a go-getter. No slack out of him. You know who my choice is to send down, XT. The one I call the "waste of a pair of good skates". :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
11-24-2006, 07:44 AM
:iagree: That will provide some BIG help to the Offense.

Not exactly what i expected to hear this morning......

Penguins Notebook: Crosby's status for game today remains unclear
Friday, November 24, 2006

Sidney Crosby skated at Mellon Arena yesterday morning and plans to do it again today on Long Island.

That does not, however, guarantee that he will be in the lineup when the Penguins face the New York Islanders this afternoon at 2:08 at Nassau Coliseum.

Crosby, whose groin muscle was strained in the Penguins' 5-3 victory in Philadelphia Monday, traveled to Long Island with his teammates yesterday, but described himself as questionable for the game today.

He skated for about 20 minutes before his teammates practiced and reported that his groin felt "better than [Wednesday]," but acknowledged that "it's still not where it needs to be."

Skating the way he did yesterday obviously is a major step, but isn't necessarily a definitive test.

"I tried to put it in some positions that I thought I could be in during games," Crosby said. "Just skating out there isn't really pushing it; that's normal activity.

"When you're in a game, your body's in a lot of positions. I've been caught in some of those positions before, and I don't want to have [the strain be aggravated[ because of that."

Coach Michel Therrien agreed there is a "possibility" Crosby will play today, but reiterated that he will not use him unless it is clear Crosby is completely over his injury.

"When he goes on the ice to play, that means he's going to be 100 percent," Therrien said. "If he's not 100 percent, he's not going to play. It's one of those injuries where you have to be really careful."

Crosby is in regular contact with the Penguins' training staff and insists he will not allow his desire to get back in the lineup to override sound judgment when evaluating his condition.

"I have to be smart," he said. "We've had a lot of conversations. There's no shortage of those. They filled me in on exactly what's going on, and now it's up to me to fill them in on exactly what I'm feeling."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06328/740892-61.stm

Afternoon games.........bleh.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2006, 10:02 AM
AHHHHHHH. Not what I wanted to hear and I just woke up.

83-Steelers-43
11-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Penguins are proving they can't handle the opposition when they don't have Sidney Crosby. Pens lose 3-1 to the Isles. Malkin went off in the third after getting caught with his head down. Kid needs to learn how to skate with his head up. It looked like he took the brunt of the hit on his left shoulder.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Not good please tell me the Injury list is not filling up as fast as I think it is.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Not good please tell me the Injury list is not filling up as fast as I think it is.

Some good news on the Malkin front, at least it's not his shoulder......

Coach says Malkin is OK after 3-1 loss: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06329/741191-61.stm

As for Sid......

From PPG: As with the past two games, Crosby will evaluate things today before deciding whether he can play tonight at home against the New York Rangers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06329/741190-61.stm

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd tell sid not to push it. If he needs another game take it.

skidboot
11-25-2006, 12:53 PM
tell him to take it easy for sure.

the season is a marathon...not a sprint.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 12:57 PM
In Hockey Definantly. It's a marathon

In Football it's a sprint.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I'd tell sid not to push it. If he needs another game take it.

With 61 more games to be played, I agree.

skidboot
11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
so what is the new news on the Arena Situation?

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 01:23 PM
so what is the new news on the Arena Situation?

The last big news I've heard on the arena......

Penguins arena work may start in July
City-county authority has bought all the land needed to begin construction

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06304/734338-61.stm

To be honest, I'm tired of hearing about it. Just let me know if we are getting a joint or not and I'll go on from there. Since this whole arena fiasco started, the politics have been disgusting and the talk has been cheap.

skidboot
11-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I hear ya.

Talk minus action = 0.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 04:43 PM
MALKIN IN, CROSBY OUT OF PENGUINS LINEUP SATURDAY
by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
11/25/2006

The Penguins welcome a familiar face to Mellon Arena on Saturday night ? the New York Rangers.

The two teams met last Saturday at Mellon Arena with the Penguins posting a 3-1 victory.

However, something will be different this time ? Sidney Crosby will not be in Pittsburgh?s lineup.

The 19-year-old star will sit out his third-straight contest with a sore groin.

?I?m still a little sore, so I am not going to play tonight. It?s just something that is going to take time. It?s frustrating, but it?s going to take time,? Crosby said. ?It?s frustrating, for sure, because it?s not something you can play through. The more you kind of play through it, the worse it?s going to get.?

Crosby tested his ability in the morning skate, but knew he wasn?t ready for game action yet.

?I tested it as hard as I could. It?s not ready,? he said. ?I am a lot closer than I was three or four days ago. Hopefully it keeps improving every day. It?s been going like that so far. I am just waiting for that turnaround day where I am not going to feel much at all.?

Meanwhile, Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin will be in the lineup Saturday. He scored a goal in the team?s 3-1 loss at the New York Islanders on Friday, but left the game after taking a solid hit late in the third period.

?He?s going to play. He?s OK,? Penguins coach Michel Therrien said. ?Like I said [Friday], it was a good hit. If it happened in the first period, he would have come back. That?s part of the process of learning ? when you get to the blue line, you have to make sure your head is up.?

Malkin leads all rookies in scoring with 21 points (11+10) in 17 games. Los Angeles forward Anze Kopitar is next with 20 points (5+15) in 24 contests.

http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/2151.0.php

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't blame them for keeping him out. It's not worth getting him injured further and possibly losing him for the year.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 07:02 PM
http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/2143.0.php

CROSBY LEADS ALL EASTERN CONFERENCE VOTE-GETTERS

11/22/2006

Sidney Crosby is tops on the East, so far.

The Penguins superstar leads all Eastern Conference vote-getters with 83,644 votes in the COLD-fX/NHL All-Star Fan Balloting, Presented by 2K Sports. More than 2.8 million votes were cast in the first six days of the all-digital voting program.

The voting will determine the starting lineups for the 2007 NHL All-Star Game, which will be played on Wednesday, Jan. 24, in Dallas (8 p.m. on VERSUS).

Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin ranks seventh among Eastern Conference forwards with 36,281 votes, while Pittsburgh?s Marc-Andre Fleury is third among Eastern Conference goaltenders with 23,045 votes.

Through Jan. 2, fans around the world can ?CLICK TO VOTE? for the Eastern and Western Conference All-Star starters for the 2007 NHL All-Star Game on-line at NHL.com, through Bell Canada cell phones and via Sympatico.MSN.ca, the official portal of the NHL in Canada. In addition, there is a link to the ballot on pittsburghpenguins.com. Click here to vote now.

The 2006-07 season marks the 19th year in which fans will determine the starting lineups for the NHL All-Star Game. Fans can vote for six Eastern Conference All-Stars and six Western Conference All-Stars: three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender for each team. If a player is not listed on the ballot, a space is provided for write-in votes. The three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender from each Conference receiving the most votes will comprise the starting lineups. Each of the 30 NHL Clubs has at least two representatives on the ballot.

The COLD-fX/NHL All-Star Fan Balloting, Presented by 2K Sports section on NHL.com features an interactive ballot the showcases players with video clips, photos and virtual video game highlights created by 2K Sports. Residents of the United States and Canada who vote will be able to register for a chance to win a trip for two to the 2007 NHL All-Star Game. As part of the sweepstakes, sponsored by COLD-fX, NHL great and16-time All-Star Mark Messier will meet the winner and a guest at the NHL All-Star Game.The 2007 NHL All-Star Celebration, hosted by the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, will feature live national broadcasts of the Dodge Nitro/NHL SuperSkills event on Tuesday, Jan. 23 and the NHL All-Star Game on Wednesday, Jan. 24 on VERSUS in the United States and CBC and RDS in Canada starting at 8 p.m., EST. NASN, the NHL?s exclusive broadcast partner in Europe, will provide live coverage of both the Dodge Nitro/NHL SuperSkills event and the NHL All-Star Game to more than 25 countries and territories in Europe. NHL RADIO on Westwood One will provide exclusive, national radio coverage in the United States and Canada, while Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio each will provide radio play-by-play coverage of the game.

COLD-fX/NHL All-Star Fan Balloting, Presented by 2K Sports

(as of 11/21/06)
Forwards
Player Club Votes
Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh 83,664
Alex Ovechkin Washington 63,921
Daniel Briere Buffalo 53,749
Maxim Afinogenov Buffalo 53,320
Chris Drury Buffalo 42,201
Jaromir Jagr NY Rangers 40,794
Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh 36,281
Marian Hossa Atlanta 28,263
Ilya Kovalchuk Atlanta 26,146
Eric Staal Carolina 21,525
Mats Sundin Toronto 21,076
Brendan Shanahan NY Rangers 20,977
Rod Brind'Amour Carolina 20,609
Peter Forsberg Philadelphia 18,494
Goaltenders
Player Club Votes
Ryan Miller Buffalo 63,818
Martin Brodeur New Jersey 59,386
Marc-Andre Fleury Pittsburgh 23,045
Cam Ward Carolina 19,517
Andrew Raycroft Toronto 17,983
Defensemen
Player Club Votes
Brian Campbell Buffalo 57,988
Zdeno Chara Boston 56,939
Tomas Kaberle Toronto 56,139
Henrik Tallinder Buffalo 46,924
Bryan McCabe Toronto 46,672
Sheldon Souray Montreal 44,526
Brian Rafalski New Jersey 30,907
Wade Redden Ottawa 29,042
Jay Bouwmeester Florida 26,669

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 10:03 PM
First off, I'm not the biggest Jagr fan in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but as I'm watching this game tonight I can't help but think to myself "Can these jerkoffs ever get over Jaromir Jagr leaving and stop the booing?". Thankfully it's only a chosen few morons. We have Sid, Malkin, Staal and Fleury now. How about we move on (hard for some Pittsburgh fans) and start looking towards our future instead of old news?

OK, the guy left here on a bad note even though we couldn't have paid him if we wanted to. At the same time he's the second best Penguin in team history and he had a major role in our two Stanley Cups. I'll take his shaky departure in return for two Stanley Cups and the memories.

Finally, it's getting a little old now. It's been six years, get over it. Do these people actually think Jagr gives a damn that they are booing him? I doubt he loses sleep over it as he's setting records in the NHL while making millions.

Pens lose in OT 2-1. Jagr with the first NYR goal and Straka with the OT goal. Malkin with the Penguin goal. Ouellet benched for the second night straight.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Close one early. LET'S GO PENS

X-Terminator
11-25-2006, 10:20 PM
I'll boo Jagr all I friggin want, and I don't give a damn who doesn't like it. End of discussion.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I'll boo Jagr all I friggin want, and I don't give a damn who doesn't like it. End of discussion.

I don't recall stating you couldn't....lol.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Close one early. LET'S GO PENS

Close but no cigar SCM. We played a good game for the most part. Fleury played out of his skull. Once we get Sid back we'll be back on track.

X-Terminator
11-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Well hey, you called those of us who boo him "morons," so this one is speaking up. I don't like Jagr - he's a friggin lazy, whining prima donna, and I'm going to keep booing his sorry, fat ass every time he plays here.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 10:29 PM
:thumbsup: Well hey, you called those of us who boo him "morons," so this one is speaking up. I don't like Jagr - he's a friggin lazy, whining prima donna, and I'm going to keep booing his sorry, fat ass every time he plays here.

Right and once again I never stated you couldn't boo him. You can boo him all you want. Whatever makes you happy buddy.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Anyways, we have the NYI tomorrow night at home. Let's try and get a little payback for last night. Hopefully Sid is ready to go.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Just sickening. But at least we got a point out of it.

X-Terminator
11-25-2006, 10:51 PM
We need Sid back in the lineup, but I still see a slide happening. Had this feeling for the past couple of weeks. I'm really upset over this loss tonight despite the point, because it is a game we could have and should have won. This is also the 2nd time in the past 2 weeks that they've lost a game when they've led after 2 periods. Not good.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Just sickening. But at least we got a point out of it.

No doubt a tough loss, but I'll take the point. :cheers:

Sid has two nights off, get him rested up and ready to go Tuesday night against the Isles. Try and grab two points. 60 more games.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/2152.0.php

STRAKA'S LATE GOAL LIFTS RANGERS PAST PENGUINS IN OT

by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
11/25/2006

Martin Straka?s goal late in overtime Saturday gave the New York Rangers a 2-1 win over the Penguins at Mellon Arena.

Straka, a former Penguins player, found the back of the net with 2.2 seconds left on the clock in the extra session.

?It?s tough to lose like that ? with two seconds left,? Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said.

Fleury, who stopped 28 of 30 shots, was strong in goal for the Penguins (10-8-4), who played their third game in four days. The young goaltender made four key saves as the Penguins killed off three penalties in a 4:54 span early into the contest, but neither team managed to find the back of the net in the first period.

Evgeni Malkin got the Penguins on the scoreboard with 9:25 left in the second period on a power-play goal. Erik Christensen was positioned behind the Rangers net with the puck and he slid a pass to Malkin, who was closing in on the far post. Malkin chipped the puck over Henrik Lundqvist for the goal. Sergei Gonchar assisted on the goal, which gave him 500 points in his NHL career.

New York got the benefit of a break in the third period as Jaromir Jagr had a puck bounce right to his stick and he slid it into an open net to tie the contest 12:15 into the third period.

Penguins rookie Jordan Staal had a chance to give the Penguins the win in overtime as he was awarded a penalty shot. However, he never got the puck on net as it rolled past his stick when he brought it from his backhand to his forehand in front of Lundqvist.

Straka provided the game-winner when he slid the puck into the goal with 2.2 seconds to go.

ICE CHIPS: Michel Ouellet, Andre Roy and Sidney Crosby were the Penguins? scratches?Darius Kasparaitis and Thomas Pock were the Rangers? scratches?The announced attendance was 17,134?Jaromir Jagr (No. 1), Evgeni Malkin (No. 2) and Henrik Lundqvist (No. 3) were named the game?s three stars.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 10:59 PM
http://pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/2153.0.php

MOORE ADAPTING WELL TO LIFE IN PITTSBURGH WITH PENGUINS

by Joe Sager
pittsburghpenguins.com
11/25/2006

The transition from New York to Pittsburgh has been a relatively easy one for Dominic Moore.

After all, Penguins fans have embraced the blue-collar style he brings to the ice as a solid two-way center. People in a hard-working city appreciate a hard-working player such as Moore.

?I like to be as complete a player as I can and make plays at both ends of the rink. Basically, the role is to help the team win games, whatever way that might be,? he said. ?There certainly is a hard-working mentality to this city, too. Obviously, they respect that and that?s something I try to bring to what I do. It?s definitely nice to know there are people who understand that, for sure.?

The 6-foot, 195-pounder had nine goals and nine assists in 82 games last year with the Rangers as a rookie. The 26-year-old came to Pittsburgh from Nashville after the Predators acquired him from New York in July.

?I love it here so far. It?s been great,? he said. ?We have a great group of guys here. A young team, but we?re having a lot of fun and getting better with every game. It?s been great.?

One Penguins player whose eyes perked up when he learned about the trade for Moore is rookie Noah Welch. That?s because he and Moore played college hockey together for two years at Harvard (2001-03).

?When I was at Harvard, I thought for sure that Dom was going to play in the NHL and hoped that I would some day, too,? Welch said. ?He was a Rangers guy at the time and I was with Pittsburgh. I never thought we?d be teammates again at this level, so it was a really, really nice treat when I found out this summer that he got traded to Pittsburgh. It gave me extra motivation to make sure I was here.?

Moore has four goals and four assists in 22 games for the Penguins so far this season. And, even though he hasn?t been called on to score highlight-reel goals, that doesn?t mean he can?t. Moore tallied 64 goals, 83 assists and 147 points in 128 games in his Harvard career.

?He was pretty much always the best player on the ice, no matter who we played,? Welch said. ?He was definitely a leader on our team and he helped me out a lot. When I was a freshman, he was one of the guys that right away I got off to a good start with and became pretty good buddies with. He scored some really, really pretty goals ? some unbelievable goals in college. When I think of him, the first thing that comes to my mind are three or four goals that were just unbelievable.?

Nevertheless, Welch is not surprised Moore has excelled as a third-line center who must be responsible on both ends of the rink.

?I think that just shows the complete package he has. He has a lot of different dimensions to his game,? he said. ?At this level, you play a role and he?s playing a role for us right now. I think that?s only going to get bigger as he gets more years and experience in this league. I can see him in the next couple of years becoming a first- or second-line guy and putting up numbers, but also being really reliable defensively and on draws. I think he has a huge upside and he?s only getting better game to game.?

Right now, though, Moore is just enjoying helping the Penguins win games.

?Everyone here seems to be very friendly and laid back. That makes it fun to be around, for sure,? he said. ?I kind of enjoy Pittsburgh. It?s still a big city, but it has a small-town feel to it. It?s a big sports town, which I love about it. That?s certainly been a pleasure.?

Moore had little trouble transitioning to the Penguins? style of play.

?It?s not a matter of scrapping everything you learned. A lot of the systems are pretty similar. There are some changes, obviously,? he said. ?The coaching staff has done a great job trying to get everyone on the same page. I feel like, with the talent we have in this room, if everyone sort of buys into doing those team concept things, we could be very tough to deal with.?

Dominic, Mark and Steve Moore during their Harvard days.
Harvard University

Moore is looking forward to playing his ex-teammates for the third time this season.

?It was really fun playing in New York [on Oct. 12]. It was great to be back and get that last-second victory. We were all pretty excited to get that win. That was a big thrill,? he said. ?I can?t wait to play them again. It should be a lot of fun. You want to win, but it?s a little different than playing any other team.?

The Ontario native comes from a talented family of hockey players. His two older brothers, Mark and Steve, were also NHL draft choices. Coincidentally, Mark Moore was drafted by the Penguins in 1997 and spent part of the 2000-01 season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Steve was drafted by Colorado and spent parts of three seasons with the Avalanche.

Moore, who majored in sociology at Harvard, got to skate one year with both siblings when all three suited up for the Crimson during the 1999-00 season.

Nevertheless, the 26-year-old is excited to be a part of the Penguins? promising future.

?Pittsburgh is a great city right now, but you see a lot of the areas around the city being revitalized,? he said. ?I think maybe the same thing can be said about the Penguins. We?re a good team right now, but we?re in the process of developing ourselves as well.?

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 11:06 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/06328/740896-61.stm

A Progress Report: Penguins' record, play bears little, if any, resemblance to last season

Friday, November 24, 2006

There are many ways to measure the progress the Penguins have made in the past year.

You could do it with their 20-game record -- 10-7-3, after being 6-8-6 at the same point in 2005-06.

You could do it with the point total that record represents -- 23, an obvious upgrade on the 18 they had after 20 games in 2005-06.

You could do it by noting how they've pared their goals-allowed total from 83 to 63, or bumped up their goal output from 60 to 65.

Or you could ignore all the numbers and simply watch them play because, most of the time, that's all it takes to recognize how different things are.

"You can see there's a big improvement," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "Not only in the standings, but in the way we're playing. The system is there, the effort is there every night, pretty much. I guess that's why we are where we are."

Where they are as they close out the first quarter of the season -- technically, it will end midway through the second period of their game at 2:08 p.m. today on Long Island -- is in the middle of the Eastern Conference playoff race.

They are tied with the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay for eighth place in the East, and will have to be there -- or higher -- when the season ends if they are to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2001.

But it says something about these Penguins that when they talk about challenging for a spot in the playoffs, no one snickers.

Of course, no one did in late November last year, either. But that was mostly because no one even remotely rooted in reality would not have dared to suggest such a thing was possible.

This season, however, their 20-game record projects to 94 points; Tampa Bay claimed the final Eastern spot in 2005-06 with 92.

"There's no doubt we're happy [with the first quarter]," coach Michel Therrien said. "When we started the season, we said we wanted to be part of a group that was going to battle to make the playoffs. That was our goal, and we're right there."

Numerous factors have contributed to the Penguins' solid start. Some of the biggest include:

Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who has elevated his game significantly and is performing with a consistency missing in previous seasons. He has a 2.82 goals against average and .912 save percentage after finishing 2005-06 at 3.25 and .898.

The play of second-year center Sidney Crosby, who is poised to make a serious run at the NHL scoring championship, and rookie Evgeni Malkin, who has made a seamless transition to North American hockey. They form a 1-2 punch down the middle that eventually could rival the finest in hockey history.

A team-wide commitment to better defense. Fleury's performance is a huge factor, but so is the structure introduced by Therrien and the willingness of players to work as hard to prevent goals as they do to produce them.

"When we started the season, we knew that if we were going the same way we did last year, we were going to get killed," Therrien said.

Although they've avoided that, the Penguins do have some blemishes that could sabotage their season. Prominent on that list is:

The failure of their wingers to generate goals. First-line right winger Colby Armstrong, who doesn't have any, is the poster boy for this problem, but right wingers Mark Recchi and Michel Ouellet are the only non-centers to score as many as six. That's not enough, especially with set-up men like Crosby and Malkin.

Their penalty-killing, which is steadily sliding down the league rankings. It is the ninth-worst in the league, with a success rate of 81.4 percent, and is particularly ineffective on the road (72.6 percent). With so little margin for error, the Penguins can't afford to lose an undue number of one-goal games because of subpar penalty-killing. Being the most-penalized team in the East (18 minutes per game) doesn't help.

Modest depth. The profound impact Mark Eaton's dislocated wrist has had on their penalty-killing and overall defense underscores the shortage of solid defensemen in the organization, and if they had wingers in the minors who were good bets to score at this level, they'd be up by now.

Whether any of those will push the Penguins out of playoff contention remains to be seen. It hasn't happened yet, though, and that's unmistakable evidence of progress for players who endured so much defeat and disappointment last season.

"We're not last in the standings," Fleury said. "We're right there."

(Dave Molinari can be reached at DWMolinari@Yahoo.com. )

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Pretty good read from yahoo......

March of the Penguin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ai4u2EpongyXPXVL5PPBq897vLYF?slug=jo-malkin112006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Pretty good read from yahoo......

March of the Penguin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ai4u2EpongyXPXVL5PPBq897vLYF?slug=jo-malkin112006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Definantly a good read.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Penguins Notebook: Crosby misses 3rd game in a row
Sunday, November 26, 2006

His sore groin is getting better all the time, Sidney Crosby said.

Fact is, he has made a lot of progress during the past four days or so.

But Crosby still is waiting for the day when "I'm not going to feel it much at all," and that hasn't arrived yet, so he sat out his third consecutive game when the Penguins faced the New York Rangers at Mellon Arena last night.

Crosby went on the ice briefly during the Penguins' game-day skate yesterday, but pronounced his groin to be "still a little sore" after he adjourned to the locker room.

"It's not ready," he said.

This is Crosby's longest absence from the lineup since he missed four games because of a sprained knee in his final season with Rimouski in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2004-05.

"Hopefully, [this absence] is done at three," he said.

The Penguins do not play again until Tuesday, when the New York Islanders will visit Mellon Arena at 7:08 p.m.

Crosby said his frustration is compounded because two of the games he has missed were against Atlantic Division opponents, but acknowledged that returning prematurely would cause more problems than it solves.

"It's not something you can really play through," he said. "The more you play through it, the worse it's going to get."

A lesson for Malkin

Center Evgeni Malkin, rocked by a hard hit from Islanders defenseman Brendan Witt late in the third period of the Penguins' 3-1 loss on Long Island Friday, was back in the lineup last night.

"If he would have been hurt in the first period, he would have come back [during the Islanders' game]," coach Michel Therrien said.

He characterized Witt's check as "a good hit," and noted that Malkin paid for getting caught looking down.

"It's part of the learning process," Therrien said. "You get to the blue line, make sure you keep your head up.

"We told him before, but it's like [telling] a little kid, 'Don't touch the stove. You're going to get burned.'

"[The child responds] 'Yes, Dad. Yes, Dad.' But one day, they always touch it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06330/741329-61.stm

Prosdo
11-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Another heartbreaking loss last night.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Just hopefully Crosby will be back soon.

skidboot
11-26-2006, 11:53 AM
At the same time he's the second best Penguin in team history

who's #1?....................Pierre Larouche?

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 12:35 PM
who's #1?....................Pierre Larouche?

You didn't know? It's Ian Moran!!! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2006, 12:36 PM
You didn't know? It's Ian Moran!!! :thumbsup:

I thought it was Hrdina.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 12:37 PM
I thought it was Hrdina.

Close SCM, he's the best forward we have ever had. Moran is the best overall hockey player we've ever had. Bobby Orr couldn't carry Moran's jock. Plus and most importantly, he's so nice to the fans and great with the media. :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Aren't you nice 83. LOL.

skidboot
11-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I thought for sure it was between Larouche and Ab McDonald.

cbalke
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
yikes, a lot of moran hating going on here. i actually liked the guy. what'd he do that i don't know about?

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 12:15 PM
That's what I'd like to know.

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2006, 12:48 PM
yikes, a lot of moran hating going on here. i actually liked the guy. what'd he do that i don't know about?

He didn't "do" anything. That was the problem. Last two seasons here he was a -11 and -17. He went to Boston for three seasons and obviously they weren't very content with his play. Now he's at Anaheim.

He was a nice guy and that kept him around here for a few more seasons. That's about it.

83-Steelers-43
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Crosby practices, could play tomorrow night
Monday, November 27, 2006

Penguins center Sidney Crosby practiced today and said he could play against the New York Islanders Tuesday night at Mellon Arena.

Crosby seemed cautiously optimistic about playing, but said he wouldn't decide until skating Tuesday morning.

Crosby missed the past three games with a strained groin. During that stretch, the Penguins' record was 0-1-2.

He is tied for sixth in the National Hockey League in scoring with 10 goals and 20 assists for 30 points in 19 games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06331/741629-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Some good news on my last day off.

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 08:21 AM
On another plus, at least we don't have to deal with Yashin tonight who's out 2-4 weeks with a sprained knee.

skidboot
11-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Isles are a surprise team so far. Playing good team Defense.

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Crosby to play tonight in Penguins vs. Islanders
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins center Sidney Crosby will return to action tonight when the Penguins play the New York Islanders.

Crosby practiced yesterday morning and met with trainers. After that he told reporters he would play.

Crosby strained his groin during a 5-3 victory over Philadelphia Nov. 20. Crosby has 10 goals and 20 assists in 19 games.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06332/741841-100.stm

Prosdo
11-28-2006, 01:51 PM
This is great news. Glad he will be back tonight.

cbalke
11-28-2006, 03:12 PM
good stuff! glad to see the kid back in action!

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2006, 07:30 PM
1-0 Early. But a Penalty and the Islanders are heading on the PP.

X-Terminator
11-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Missed all but the final 9 minutes of the game due to karate class tonight, but a nice win nonetheless! Good for Army to finally get off the "schneid" and get his first 2 goals of the season.

On to Jersey!

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Great win PENS!

83-Steelers-43
11-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Great win PENS!

Amen. Sid comes back, Colby grabs two goals. Nice win.

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Bettman says Penguins sale should be final in 2-3 weeks
Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie, who signed a purchase agreement in October to buy the Penguins, could close on the sale in the next two or three weeks, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said yesterday.

Balsillie, who needs NHL approval to complete the purchase, is scheduled to meet with the executive committee of the league board of governors Monday morning in Florida. The full board of governors then meets later Monday and into Tuesday.

"Assuming the interview [with the executive board] goes well -- and we have no reason to believe that it won't -- then we'll brief the board in the meeting and then shortly thereafter we'll have what's known as a fax vote," said Bettman, who was in town to attend the Penguins' game against the New York Islanders.

"I anticipate that sometime by mid-December, give or take, the franchise will be closed upon."

Balsillie is chairman and co-CEO of Research in Motion, a company based in Waterloo, Ontario, that makes the popular BlackBerry wireless devices.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06333/742025-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Bettman basically went on to say last night that the Isle of Capri is the best way to go for the city, fans, team and residents of Pittsburgh and that if the Isle of Capri is not chosen then the situation becomes very murky.

skidboot
11-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Crosby is leading the NHL in PPG.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2006, 01:48 AM
Defenseman improving

Defenseman Mark Eaton has gained some dexterity in his left hand and was holding a small bottled beverage as he visited with his teammates.

"It definitely feels better than it did three weeks ago," said Eaton, who had complicated surgery Nov. 7 for a dislocated wrist after he was sent flying into the boards by San Jose's Jonathan Cheechoo.

Eaton said the prognosis is still 10 to 12 weeks -- which means another 7 to 9 weeks.

"Hopefully, it's the short end of that, but it's not something you want to press or force," said Eaton, whose forearm, wrist and lower hand are still heavily wrapped.

"It's better now," he said of using his left hand. "The first couple of weeks it was tough trying to open bottles, tie shoes and whatnot."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06334/742359-61.stm

X-Terminator
11-30-2006, 03:36 AM
7-9 more weeks? Sheesh! I didn't think the injury would keep him out that long - that pretty much puts him out until late January-mid February. Hopefully the Pens can continue to play well defensively in his absence, though it's still a huge loss to the team.

Prosdo
11-30-2006, 04:12 AM
Wow, that is quite a while. I thought he would be back sooner.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah Prosdo, it's going to be a while unfortunately. He stated a few weeks ago that it's probably going to take 12 weeks to fully heal. He wasn't kidding.

Also....

Looks like LeClair will be gone in the near future: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06334/742365-61.stm

It's going to be difficult trying to trade him. His value is not exactly appealing nor is the $1.5 million remaining on his contract.

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Penguins put veteran LeClair on waivers
Winger had been seeing less playing time recently
Friday, December 01, 2006

Winger John LeClair, who is probably best known for his prolific seasons with the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1990s, was put on waivers by the Penguins yesterday.

Other teams have until noon today to claim LeClair, 37. If that doesn't happen, it doesn't necessarily mean the end of his career.

"I do know he wants to play," Penguins general manager Ray Shero said. "Who knows? We might even need him back here."

LeClair's points and playing time were diminished this season, and he was a healthy scratch from the lineup in two of the past six games, including Tuesday's 3-2 win against the New York Islanders.

"That was unacceptable for John," said Shero, who met with LeClair at least twice this week to try to work something out.

LeClair practiced with the Penguins at Mellon Arena, skating on an improbable line with Ryan Malone, who is coming back from injury and is barred from contact, and Andre Roy, who later yesterday was sent to the Penguins' American Hockey League minor-league club in Wilkes-Barre.

LeClair did not speak with reporters after practice and did not accompany the team to New Jersey, where it will play the Devils tonight. LeClair and his agent, Lewis Gross, did not return phone messages.

LeClair said Wednesday that he found the situation frustrating, but there was little evidence of that when he was around his teammates.

"Instead of something blowing up, which didn't happen, we both wanted to be proactive," Shero said. "He was OK with this decision. He was going to go home and spend a day or two with his family."

LeClair had 2 goals and 5 assists for 7 points and was minus-2 in 21 games this season. He was averaging 11 minutes, 51 seconds of ice time, several minutes below most of the forwards playing regularly.

LeClair signed with the Penguins as a free agent before the 2005-06 season and is making $1.5 million this season. Any team claiming him will have to pick up the balance of his salary this season.

If no team claims him, the Penguins could send him to Wilkes-Barre but would still have to pay him his NHL salary. Shero declined to say whether such an assignment might happen.

"We both agreed that we would see if he was claimed and talk at that point," Shero said. "I'm supportive of him and if I can help him get a different opportunity, I will."

If LeClair is not claimed, the Penguins could opt to assign him to Wilkes-Barre, then bring him back up to the NHL roster. He would have to go through re-entry waivers, during which any team could sign him and split his salary evenly with the Penguins for the rest of the season.

LeClair has played in 987 NHL games over 17 seasons with Montreal, Philadelphia and the Penguins. He has 406 goals, 413 assists for 819 points, with 65 game-winning goals and 118 power-play goals. He also has 42 goals and 89 points in 154 playoff games.

He entered this season ranked eighth in the NHL in goals (330) since 1995-96.

The native of St. Albans, Vt., played college hockey at the University of Vermont and was a second-round draft pick by Montreal in 1987.

He was the first American-born player to have three 50-goal seasons -- he had them in succession beginning in 1995-96 -- and has topped 25 goals seven times.

Last season, he was the Penguins' third-leading scorer with 51 points, including 22 goals, in 73 games. He got 25 of those points, including 12 goals, over his final 27 games.

But that hot streak did not continue into this season.

He did not get his first point, an assist, until the ninth game of the season and didn't score until the 15th game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06335/742682-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Roy was also placed on waivers and he cleared (big surprise there with Patrick's million dollar a year signing). He is currently in WBS.

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Nice notes which should benefit the Penguins tonight SCM.....

Penguins vs Devils tonight.

The Devils are coming off of a 1-3-1 road trip, including 0-3-1 against Western Conference teams for their first four-game losing streak since Dec. 6-11.

Devils offense has five goals over a four-game losing streak and no more than two goals in any of their past five games, in which they were 3 for 24 on the power play. On the season, New Jersey's 53 goals were third-lowest in the NHL going into last night. They have no short-handed goals.

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Malkin is NHL Rookie of Month for 2nd straight time
Friday, December 01, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has been named NHL Rookie of the Month for November, making him just the second player in the history of the award to win it in consecutive months.

Philadelphia goalie Ron Hextall did it in October and November in 1986, the fourth year the award was in place.

Malkin, 20, put up seven goals and six assists, the most by any first-year player, in 14 games last month. He beat out Los Angeles center Anze Kopitar, Colorado center Paul Stastny and Anaheim defenseman Shane O'Brien for the honor.

Malkin made history in his first game of the month, as the first of his two goals during a 4-3 overtime victory at Los Angeles gave him at least one goal in each of his first six games in the league. That had not been done by an NHL rookie in 89 years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06335/742776-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Penguins' LeClair clears waivers
TSN.ca Staff

12/1/2006 2:07:28 PM

Pittsburgh Penguins forward John LeClair cleared waivers today after being passed by Friday's noon deadline.

If a team claimed LeClair, they would be responsible for what's left of his salary this year. If he is assigned to Wilkes-Barre then comes up on re-entry waivers, a team could claim him and be responsible for only half the salary, while the Penguins would be responsible for the other half.

LeClair is due to make $1.5 million this season, the final year of his contract.

"Hopefully, something will change because it's not a great situation for me," LeClair told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette on Thursday. "You have to make the best of it, but, hopefully, something happens."

LeClair's role with the Penguins has been decreasing over the past few weeks and he was a healthy scratch on Tuesday against the New York Islanders.

The 37-year-old has been playing on the fourth line for the club and averaging just under 12 minutes of ice time a game.

LeClair is the second Penguins player to go on waivers in two days. Forward Andre Roy cleared waivers yesterday and was assigned to Wilkes-Barre. He is now on re-entry waivers.

The 31-year-old Roy, who signed a three-year, $3 million deal in 2005, has played in only five games this season, averaging just over three minutes per game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=186551&hubname=

X-Terminator
12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
2 really bad goals allowed by Fleury tonight, and he gets pulled in the 2nd.

Fleury's been great this year, and sometimes you have an off-night. It happens.

Hopefully the team will bounce back tomorrow with a win (yes, I know I'm posting this after the 2nd period, but the Devils don't blow leads).

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, the Devils are taking out their road trip aggression on us tonight. 5-2 Devils in the third. You give up five goals against the Devils you might as well call it a night. Oh well. Bounce back against the Isles. Long season and it's not the end of the world.

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I thought Thibault started tonight??? I guess I tuned in late.

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I thought Thibault started tonight??? I guess I tuned in late.

Yeah, they pulled Fleury.

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 09:53 PM
SCM, it's been a strange night. Seems like the puck had eyes through two periods. Marty gave up two goals tonight which were cheap goals and so did Fleury. One of those nights.

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh stinkin well. Hopefully we'll get things rolling tomorrow.

83-Steelers-43
12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Oh stinkin well. Hopefully we'll get things rolling tomorrow.

I think we will. Pens/Isles = Bad blood this season. Just a rough and strange night tonight. IMO, the main motive for pulling Fleury early tonight was to give him a rest for tomorrow night. Eitherway, the guy was due for a bad night. He's been pretty damn solid all year long. I'm sure he will be starting tomorrow night on the Island.

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 08:02 AM
LeClair likely is gone for good
Saturday, December 02, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The Penguins say they aren't ruling out the possibility that John LeClair will play for them again someday.

Their actions say otherwise.

Emphatically.

Not because they put him on waivers Thursday, but because they assigned him to their minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre after he cleared yesterday.

By doing that -- rather than, say, simply having LeClair spend a few days at home while keeping him on the major-league roster -- the Penguins assured that he will have to go on re-entry waivers to return to the NHL.

That means LeClair would be made available to the other 29 NHL clubs for 50 percent of the pro-rated remainder of his salary this season -- the Penguins would be responsible for the other half -- and odds are that some team will decide he is a worthy addition under those terms.

In the unlikely event LeClair happened to make it through re-entry waivers unclaimed, it's a near-lock that he simply would retire rather than rejoin the Penguins, given his unhappiness with the limited role in which coach Michel Therrien cast him.

Precisely what LeClair, who has returned to his home in suburban Philadelphia Thursday, is thinking about his future isn't known, because he did not respond to an interview request yesterday.

"I talked to him [Thursday] afternoon and I'll talk to him [this] morning, and see where we go," general manager Ray Shero said last evening. "I just want to confirm with John what he would like to do, and where we're going."

Shero described the decision to put LeClair on waivers as "mutual."

"He was curious as to what was out there, in terms of any other interest," Shero said. "He never requested a trade, or anything like that. He's been a real good professional."

He also insisted that it's not inconceivable that LeClair could play for the Penguins again.

"I have not closed the door for [LeClair] here," Shero said. "I have not closed the door for anybody here. Once you send a player to the minors ... there are players who go to the minors, they clear waivers and they come back."

Left winger Andre Roy, waived by the Penguins Wednesday, is blazing a trail that LeClair might follow. Roy was sent to the Baby Penguins, but now is on re-entry waivers and eligible to be grabbed by any team willing to pick up half of his $1 million salary for a prorated portion of this season and all of 2007-08.

Having Roy claimed could work to the Penguins' benefit, if they have determined he is not part of their future.

If they opted to buy him out next summer, they would owe him only two-thirds of his $1 million salary, but it would be payable -- and would count against their salary cap -- over two years.

In the second of those years, the Penguins will be on the hook for the first season of Sidney Crosby's next contract, as well as that of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.

Having Roy completely off their books by the spring of 2008 would give them a little fiscal flexibility that could come in handy then.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06336/743007-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Lightning claims Andre Roy on waivers
Saturday, December 02, 2006

Tampa Bay claimed Penguins left winger Andre Roy on waivers today.

Because Roy, who had been assigned to the Penguins' minor-league team in Wilkes-Barre earlier this week, was on "re-entry waivers," the Penguins will be responsible for paying a pro-rated portion of his $1 million salary for the balance of this season, and half of his $1 million salary in 2007-08.

Roy, signed as a free agent from the Lightning in 2005, had no points and 12 penalty minutes in five appearances with the Penguins this season.

He played in 104 games with the Lightning between 2002 and 2004, putting up 12 goals, nine assists and 260 penalty minutes during that span. He played in 21 games during the 2004 playoffs, when Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup.

"It was never our intention or our desire to lose Andre Roy in the first place," Lightning general manager Jay Feaster said in a prepared statement. "However, when the new (collective bargaining agreement) was put in place, we knew that in a salary cap world we could not afford to match what some teams were going to be prepared to pay Andre and thus we lost him to unrestricted free agency.

"Having lost him, we never regained that tough, physical, gritty element that Andre brings. Now, for the first time, the new CBA has helped us in that through re-entry waivers we have been able to bring back a very important player to our hockey team at a salary and cap hit that make sense."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06336/743112-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 04:49 PM
"we knew that in a salary cap world we could not afford to match what some teams were going to be prepared to pay Andre and thus we lost him to unrestricted free agency."

That's because only Craig Patrick would be crazy enough to pay $1/M a year for Andre Roy.

"Having lost him, we never regained that tough, physical, gritty element that Andre brings."

Really? In two seasons I never saw it to begin with.

Basically all Shero is doing now is cleaning up Patrick's mess. While it stinks we have still have to pay Roy $50,000, it's better than paying him $1/M to do absolutely nothing.

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 04:58 PM
He's doing a good job of cleaning it up to.

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 05:12 PM
He's doing a good job of cleaning it up to.

That's the truth. The guy doesn't mess around.

While I'm definately excited about this season, I'm very anxious to see what Shero does with FA after this season is over.

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 05:23 PM
He may clean the house of those who plan to screw up the great comeback we have started so far.

83-Steelers-43
12-02-2006, 05:29 PM
He may clean the house of those who plan to screw up the great comeback we have started so far.

As of right now, there are not many. For a young team they are hanging tough up to this point. At the same time, I would like to see Ouellet actually score 5 on 5 for once. Ruutu show us he does in fact have a pulse. Ekman get's a HT one week and then you don't hear about him for eight games.

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
2-1 in the Early Going. LET'S GO PENS!!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-02-2006, 10:44 PM
DARN IT 5-3. What hurts is we got 0 points out of it.

83-Steelers-43
12-03-2006, 10:13 AM
In a division this close.....

NYR - 30 points.

NYI - 29 points.

PITT - 26 points.

PHI - 20 points.

that loss last night stung a little. We looked flat for the most part. Recchi blew an open net and had problems cradling passes all night. Bring on the Panthers.

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2006, 11:16 AM
So where are the Devils at???

83-Steelers-43
12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Whoops! My bad. But since the NHL standings change from night to night.........

NYI - 31

NYR - 30

NJ - 30

PITT - 26

PHI - 20

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
haha that's ok 83. Man this is a GOOD Divion.

X-Terminator
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
It is, but the Northeast is a better division, with 3 teams currently in (Buf, Mon, Tor) and 2 teams within 3 points of the final spot (Ott, Bos) if the playoffs ended today. But 4 teams in the hunt isn't too shabby.

83-Steelers-43
12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
haha that's ok 83. Man this is a GOOD Divion.

Thanks SCM....lol. It is a good division, but I believe if we play our best we are definately capable. Personally, I don't give a shit about others. I'm worrying about ours. LET'S GO PENS!!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm more worried about playing PENGUINS hockey not OPPONENTS hockey.

83-Steelers-43
12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm more worried about playing PENGUINS hockey not OPPONENTS hockey.

I'm worried about Penguins hockey and those who play in OUR division.

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Penguins' goalie needs to bounce back after an off-weekend
Monday, December 04, 2006

When the NHL updated its all-star balloting results last week, Marc-Andre Fleury of the Penguins led all Eastern Conference goaltenders with 138,151 votes.

And if fans waited until after the weekend games to cast another round of ballots, Fleury's total could go up again.

Perhaps as high as, oh, 138,155.

Assuming a few of his blood relatives decided to get involved in the voting.

Because while Fleury started the week in spectacular fashion, rejecting 33 of 35 shots to make a 3-2 victory against the New York Islanders Tuesday possible -- "What he did with the Islanders in the third period was unbelievable," teammate Max Talbot said -- he ended it in a way that he'll want to forget as quickly as possible.

Even if it requires intense psychotherapy.

Fleury had his worst night of 2006-07 -- and an awful night in any season -- during the Penguins' 5-2 loss in New Jersey Friday night, when he stopped just four of eight shots before being replaced by Jocelyn Thibault.

His 30-save performance during a 5-3 loss to the Islanders Saturday at Mellon Arena was a major upgrade from the previous night, but was ordinary, at best, by the standard Fleury has set through the first two months of the season.

"[Friday] was tough for me," he said. "I didn't play my best game, and I wasn't feeling my best [Saturday]. I felt better, but it's still too many goals [against] for a goalie to have."

Certainly, it's more than the Penguins are used to seeing Fleury give up this season. Even with the hit his personal stats took over the past few days, he remains 11-7-3, with a perfectly acceptable goals-against average (2.97) and save percentage (.907).

Fleury's performance to date isn't the only reason the Penguins speak openly of competing for a playoff spot -- and do it with a straight face -- but it's one of the most important.

"He's been big for us," said center Sidney Crosby, who has made a bit of a contribution himself.

Although goaltending is a key variable for every team -- if a goalie doesn't play well, it usually doesn't matter how the 18 skaters perform -- it's particularly critical for a borderline playoff contender such as the Penguins.

Their chances of getting into the postseason for the first time since 2001 will rise considerably if Fleury and Thibault can limit the number of off-nights they have this winter. Hopefully, what Fleury went through during his past two starts proves to be nothing more than a two-game hiccup.

"He's going to need to come back," coach Michel Therrien said. "I'm sure Marc-Andre Fleury is disappointed to lose those two games, but we win and lose as a team."

That's a valid point because, much as the Penguins have benefited from the consistently strong play they've gotten from Fleury for most of the season, his job has been made a bit easier by an overall improvement in his teammates' defensive commitment and execution.

"We're playing better defensively, overall, and that gives him a better chance to make more saves," defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "He was really good, even last year. We didn't have much of a defensive game in front of him to help him out."

Fleury's game has evolved, too. His positioning is better, and he gets square to shooters more consistently than in previous seasons. That helps to hold down the number of dangerous rebounds he allows, which means Fleury need not rely on sheer athleticism as much as he did in other years.

"He doesn't have to make spectacular save after spectacular save," goaltending coach Gilles Meloche said. "Before, he took himself out of position. Now, he's in the right position, so he's there to recover when there are rebounds."

Recovery is what it's all about for Fleury, and his teammates, as they prepare to face Florida at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow at Mellon Arena. Deflating as the past couple of games have been, dwelling on them isn't an option if the Penguins intend to be more than interested observers in the playoff race.

That's particularly true of Fleury, who seems to recognize that part of maturing into an elite goaltender is learning to cope with the kind of adversity he has gone through lately.

"It's always better when you win, but I'm going to forget about it and get ready for the next game," Fleury said. "I don't have a lot of experience, not so many years, but it's something I've got to do."

If he can, it could do wonders for the Penguins. And it wouldn't hurt his all-star vote total, either.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743387-61.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:47 PM
LeClair clears re-entry waivers, stays Penguins property
Monday, December 04, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veteran winger John LeClair cleared re-entry waivers today, meaning no other NHL team opted to pick him up for half of his salary for the remainder of the season. He reverts to being Penguins property.

If LeClair, 37, chooses not to retire, the Penguins must decide what role he will play. That could include keeping him on their NHL roster or assigning him to their Wilkes-Barre farm team.

LeClair's role diminished in his second season with the Penguins, and he was put on waivers last week. No teams claimed him at his full salary, so he was assigned to Wilkes-Barre, then put in re-entry waivers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743496-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Pens recall DuPont, Nasreddine from baby Pens

By The Tribune-Review
Monday, December 4, 2006

The Penguins recalled defensemen Micki DuPont and Alain Nasreddine from their American Hockey League affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
The Penguins have assigned defenseman Noah Welch to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, it was announced today by general manager Ray Shero.

DuPont, 26, has played in 18 NHL games with the Calgary Flames (2001-03). DuPont played for Canada in last year's World Championships, recording one assist in nine games. He has recorded three goals, nine assists and 29 penalty minutes in 23 games this season with Wilkes-Barre.

Nasreddine, 31, has appeared in 24 NHL games, including six with the Pittsburgh Penguins last season. He has played in 19 games this season with Wilkes-Barre, recorded three goals, five assists and 25 penalty minutes.

Welch, 24, has played in 17 games this season with the Penguins. He has recorded one goal, one assist and 20 penalty minutes. Before being recalled to the Penguins, Welch played five games this season for Wilkes-Barre, recorded one goal, two assists and six penalty minutes.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/rss/s_482625.html

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2006, 04:55 PM
hopefully these moves come to fruition soon.

83-Steelers-43
12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm not crazy at all about the Pens sending Noah Welch down. It's not as if he's the weak link on that defense. Let the kid learn up here. I could think of two others I would have sent down before Welch, but whatever.

SCM, maybe there is a trade coming up in our future or maybe Therrien is simply sending a message? Eitherway I would rather have seen somebody else sent down. He will be back up here in the near future I'm sure. If there is one plus, DuPont is a righthanded defenseman. Veteran Nasreddine has Eaton's style of play on defense and from what I witnessed last season he played solid.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2006, 05:17 PM
A trade DEFINANTLY looks possible. Ray's a no bs guy. Wouldn't surprise me if he tries to clean things up here.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Also..........

Ryan Malone and Michel Ouellet have been medically cleared to return from injuries. Hopefully both learned how to score goals in their time off.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Alright, Good to see they are READY.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Ugh...........

Malone to play tonight

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Forward Ryan Malone will be in the Penguins lineup against the Florida Panthers for the first time tonight since Oct. 21 when he broke his forearm in a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Coach Michel Therrien confirmed after today's morning skate that Malone will play on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Nils Ekman.

"I'm excited to see him back and it's important for us for him to play some solid hockey," Therrien said.

Jordan Staal, meanwhile, will be a healthy scratch tonight for the first time this season.

"It's a development year for him," Therrien said. "We have a plan for him and we're sticking to our plan."

Of the two defensemen recalled on Monday, Therrien said that Alain Nasreddine will play tonight but Micki Dupont will not. Jocelyn Thibault will start in goal.

Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin continue to run Nos. 1 and 2 among forwards in voting for the Eastern Conference All-Stars starting lineup, Crosby with 401,365 votes and Malkin with 217,146.

Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, in first place last week, has slipped behind Buffalo’s Ryan Miller, 253,024-208,492 in the results released today. Voting remains open through Jan. 2.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_482795.html

Benching Jordan Staal for Ryan Malone? Great.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2006, 06:39 PM
ALRIGHT!!!! That means guys are getting healthy.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 07:32 PM
No doubt, guys are getting healthy, I just hope the guys who are now healthy don't hurt those who have been healthy. Said before this season started, if your going to put Jordan on the 4th line or even worse, bench him, you shouldn't have signed him in the first place. I also don't feel Noah Welch has anything to learn down at WBS while players like Melichar and Whitney are not looking any better. Melichar had a nice front seat on that second Panther goal.

For the most part, I'm not crazy about the decisions these last two days.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Holy #$&%, Sid just scored a goal (to tie it up at 2-2) that was simply unbelievable. Hopefully I'll start seeing these goals in the near future. I'm starting up this month and to the end of the season with my package.

83-Steelers-43
12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
And the Panthers just scored on the PP. Missing Staal on the PK (and Malone blowing chance after chance tonight to score) and shaking up that defense might just have an effect on this team. We are losing to a team who has their two top players out and who have lost their last six games.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
GRUMBLE GRUMBLE. Another Goal.

X-Terminator
12-05-2006, 11:57 PM
2-5-1 in their last 8 games. They aren't going to be anywhere near the playoff race with numbers like that. And the competition doesn't get any easier with the Rangers, Thrashers and Caps coming up, and all on the road. Could be looking hard at 2-8-1 in their last 11 after this stretch if they don't start turning things around.

83-Steelers-43
12-06-2006, 10:23 AM
GRUMBLE GRUMBLE. Another Goal.

"It's getting to the point where, I thought we were as desperate as we could be, but we didn't play that way," Mark Recchi said. "There's no urgency right now. It's pretty disappointing. We have to grow up pretty quick here."

That's just a tad bit disconcerning. I'm expecting a Therrien blow-up in the near future. "This defense suff, they suff so bad I've never seen a defense suff this bad."

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing this organization bring up RW Jonathan Filewich from WBS/Scranton.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Any help to win games if FINE with me.

83-Steelers-43
12-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Don't worry Pittsburgh, your team likely isn't leaving
By E.J. Hradek
ESPN The Magazine

In the next seven to 10 days, the board of governors will vote by fax to approve BlackBerry king Jim Balsillie's purchase of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

After that, things will get interesting for the team.

On Dec. 20, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (a seven-person regulatory committee) is expected to announce the winner of the much-coveted slots license. If you've been following this drawn-out process, which has taken more than a year, you know the Pens have a significant stake in this decision.

Simply, if the Isle of Capri casino chain is awarded the license, the Penguins, per their agreement with the gaming giant, will receive their long-desired new arena and stay in Steel City. The license has such financial potential that the Isle of Capri agreed to cut a $290 million check for the new arena within 90 days of a winning bid. Evidently, there's a lot of money to be made in gambling. Who knew?

If, however, the Isle of Capri doesn't get the license, the Penguins will be able to test the open market when their Mellon Arena lease expires in June. The team could choose to leave Pittsburgh for Kansas City or Hamilton, Ontario, or who knows where.

Listening to several different sources in Pittsburgh, though, I get the sense the Penguins will remain in Pittsburgh.

Contrary to current public perception, however, those same sources agree it probably won't be because of the Pens' deal with the Isle of Capri. No one with knowledge of the situation rates the Isle of Capri as the favorite to get the nod; they believe the Forest City Enterprises/Harrah's Entertainment bid stands the best chance of winning the license.

Why? Why else: Money.

According to several political insiders, Forrest City and Harrah's (like other bidders in this process) have been big-money donors to Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, as well as other state and local elected officials. Those kinds of donors expect something for their financial support, and they usually get it.

Rendell hasn't publicly endorsed any of the three bidding groups. On March 30, however, he was quick to come up with a "Plan B" proposal to fund a new arena in Pittsburgh in the shocking event the Isle of Capri bid falls through. Rendell's plan called for the Penguins to contribute an up-front payment of $8 million toward the arena project, as well as an additional $4 million per year for 30 years.

Now, if you were the Pens, which deal would you prefer: the deal under which you pay nothing, or the deal that you pay $128 million over 30 years? Yeah, I thought so.

As part of their deal with the Isle of Capri, the Pens haven't been able to comment on or consider any other bids. When someone offers to build your arena, you say thank you and keep your mouth shut and your fingers crossed. But if the license doesn't end up on the Isle, the Pens will be open to consider other possibilities.

At that point, the club, led by Balsillie, will be well positioned to negotiate a better "Plan B" deal. That's where those in the know see this going, and they believe state and local officials will be willing to work out more reasonable "Plan B" numbers.

After all, they (the politicians) do want to build an arena to replace outdated Mellon Arena. The Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County already has purchased the land on which a new arena could be built. The Penguins' current position as a young, up-and-coming team with a pair of franchise players doesn't hurt their bargaining situation, either. With all that being the case, local officials won't want to see their anchor tenant skate away to another city.

So, Penguins fans, I guess what I'm telling you is this: If the Isle of Capri gets the license, pop open the champagne and take a swig. If not, keep the bubbly chilled and don't let weeks of unavoidable gamesmanship and rhetoric get you down. In the end, I think your team is staying right where it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2688327&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos2

X-Terminator
12-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I think this rates as an "I'll believe it when I see it." I still believe if Isle doesn't win, the Pens are headed out of town. Why? I don't trust Balsillie, and I never have. The ONLY way he gains my trust is if he signs the 30-year lease on Bank of New York Arena, as I suspect it'll be called. Until then, F him.

83-Steelers-43
12-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, Pens vs Rangers tonight. I'm going to miss the game tonight because I will be at the Steelers game.

Sounds like we are going to see Kasparaitis tonight. The guy's only played six NHL games this season. Staal will be back in the lineup tonight. Therrien did not bother mentioning who will sit the bench.

Some notes...........

The Penguins have gone 2-0-1 against Rangers, including 6-5 victory at Garden Oct. 12. ... LW Ryan Malone has one goal in 14 career games against Rangers. ... Power play is 7 for 26 against New York.

The Rangers are 5-5-3 at home. ... Have allowed one short-handed goal, lowest total in Eastern Conference. ... LW Martin Straka has points in seven consecutive games.

Jaromir Jagr has scored on two of 10 shootout opportunities since start of last season.

X-Terminator
12-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Another freaking game lost that they should have won. This is SO freaking frustrating!!!!!!!!

83-Steelers-43
12-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Oh well, bring on the Thrashers!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
THRASH ATLANTA! LET'S GO PENS!

83-Steelers-43
12-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Shero still evaluating Penguins, coaches
Saturday, December 09, 2006

ATLANTA -- Ray Shero has a plan. Pretty much the same one he had two months ago.

It didn't change when the Penguins opened the season with a 7-3 surge, and it isn't going to change now that they're 1-4-3 the past eight games.

And there is absolutely nothing -- not even a wisp of a scrap of a shred -- in it about making personnel moves for the sake of giving his roster a short-term upgrade.

Or about replacing Michel Therrien as coach.

Both have been predicted and suggested, if not flat-out demanded, by some people outside the organization. Shero isn't oblivious to such talk, but isn't particularly influenced by it, either.

That doesn't mean he enjoys losing, or accepts it. Just that Shero's primary objective since succeeding Craig Patrick as general manager in May has been to assemble a team that eventually will be able to compete for the Stanley Cup on an annual basis, not necessarily one that will have the best possible chance of earning a playoff berth in 2007.

Competing for a playoff spot remains an important objective for this season -- "Everybody's goal is to make the playoffs, and I don't want to lower the bar for these guys," Shero said -- but will not eclipse the goal of constructing a perennial contender.

Shero won't take his cues from the scoreboard or the standings.

Not in the relatively near future, anyway.

"I don't want to be judging this team on points," he said. "I've said all along that we want to see improvement."

Consequently, he has no plans to sign aging free agents or to trade for blowout patches that can cover some immediate deficiencies.

Shero is more concerned with finding out what the players, particularly the young ones, already on his depth chart can do, and how they might fit into the franchise's future.

So forget bringing in Peter Bondra or trying to acquire Markus Naslund.

Shero's priority to is learn whether, say, he can count on Erik Christensen to be a reliable source of goals, and whether Chris Thorburn or Jarkko Ruutu can be a significant part of his personnel mix.

The Penguins enter their game tonight against Atlanta at Philips Arena with an 11-11-5 record. That's an 82-point pace, which would be a dramatic upgrade on the 58 they earned in 2005-06.

But the cautious hope many observers had for the Penguins in early autumn flared into wild-eyed optimism after they piled up so many victories the first four weeks of play.

"The expectations for this team going into the season [were modest]," Shero said.

"Then all of a sudden, you start out four games over .500, and everybody's like, 'Wait a second.' "

When that strong start mutated into the skid that has carried the Penguins toward the bottom of the Eastern Conference, the calls for Shero to begin shopping for a new coach began.

But even though Shero inherited Therrien, he is adamant that he wants to thoroughly evaluate how he fits with this team, how his strengths and style work with this group of players, before he would even consider replacing him.

"That's not on my mind," Shero said. "It really isn't.

"I don't want to judge this coaching staff just by wins and losses, or anything like that. It's the first 25 or 30 games for Therrien with a number of these players."

Including some who haven't been producing the kind of offense the Penguins anticipated.

Scoring goals has been a major problem in recent weeks -- they have gotten more than three just once in the past 17 games, and had two or fewer nine times in that span -- which is why Therrien put such emphasis on it, in drills and words, during practice yesterday at Philips Arena.

"In this game, if you don't score three goals, it's tough to win," he said.

"We need to get that killer instinct."

That's particularly true of his wingers. Mark Recchi is the only one to score as many as seven goals, and the nine wingers on the Penguins' 23-man roster have accounted for 28 goals in 174 man-games.

By contrast, their top four centers -- Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Dominic Moore and Jordan Staal --have 36 in 100 man-games.

"We definitely need some more production from our wingers," Shero said.

Nonetheless, he is willing to give them a chance to prove they can -- or cannot -- do it instead of rushing to add players from outside the organization.

Which dovetails perfectly with the patient, methodical approach Shero, and the people who work under him, have employed the six-plus months he has been in charge.

"We're doing it the right way," Therrien said.

"We know that when we get there, we're going to get there for a long time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06343/744867-61.stm