PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Lord Stiller
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
:huh: :confused:

LS, I'm not trying to be a smartass here (I respect your views and opinions no matter what), but am I missing something here?

I understand and agree that it is a bold move on Therrien's part.

I also understand and I'm starting (still holding out hope) to agree that coming to terms with the decision is inevitable even though I completely disagree with the decision.

I do not understand how it's a "smart one" on Therrien's part, particulary when you state that you do not like Fleury and at one point in season you brought up trading him.

Fleury is our future goalie, he was drafted #1 overall and is our guy for the future. When he returned, they didnt want to hurt his confidence by sitting him behind Conklin. Therrian, Shero and all of the upper-management where in on the decision from what I have heard

Conklin is a good backup guy, simple as that. Are you familiar with his meltdown in th Cup finals w Edmonton

BettisFan
03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Fleury is a beast stop hating

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Fleury is our future goalie, he was drafted #1 overall and is our guy for the future.

Fleury is our future. Our future. That's why I was against trading him during the deadline while a good number of fans were calling for his head and wanted him to be traded. I wasn't the one calling for his trade.

When he returned, they didnt want to hurt his confidence by sitting him behind Conklin.

Fleury is capable of understanding the situation. I've never seen a goalie more pampered than Fleury. He's not twelve years old. Fleury went down, Conklin came in and has played great. Fleury is getting paid to play hockey, not to have the coaching staff become his Dr. Melfi.

Therrian, Shero and all of the upper-management where in on the decision from what I have heard

I can't say that I have heard that rumor. Actually, the last time I heard Shero comment on anything was during the Hossa trade.

Conklin is a good backup guy, simple as that.

You have Errey and Bourque that say otherwise (who feel he's the team MVP). You also have stats that say otherwise and I'm willing to bet you have the whole Penguins defensive unit that would say otherwise.

Are you familiar with his meltdown in th Cup finals w Edmonton

Yes I am. Fortunately for the Penguins, what Conklin did with Edmonton has absolutely nothing to do with what he's doing right now. Plus, if we are going to base our goaltenders on what they did in the past, it's not like Fleury faired much better during his first playoff experience.

Personally, I really don't care what a player has done in the past, I look at what he brings to a team right now and right now, Conklin is playing just as good, if not better than any other goaltender in the league. Fleury is still showing signs that he is unable to control rebounds, make the key saves when needed and help the defense out when it comes to playing the puck.

We brought in Hossa to win right now.

We have a goaltender who has been standing on his since Fleury went down and who is playing great hockey right now.

I'll worry about the future when it arrives, until then I'm worrying about winning a cup right now.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Fleury is a beast stop hating

Way to follow along. :coffee:

I'm not stating Fleury can't be a beast in the future, but right now, he still needs some work. I'm not calling him a bust, but to call him a "beast" at this point in his career is definately premature.

Lord Stiller
03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Fleury is capable of understanding the situation. I've never seen a goalie more pampered than Fleury. He's not twelve years old. Fleury went down, Conklin came in and has played great.. You dont know that. Putting Conklin ahead of Fleury could definitely hurt his confidence

I can't say that I have heard that rumor. That is the inside word from the Pens and it makes sense to me

Yes I am. Fortunately for the Penguins, what Conklin did with Edmonton has absolutely nothing to do with what he's doing right now.

It didnt just happen in the past, it has happened several times this season!!!! (Conklin mishandling the puck behind the net leading to a goal) It actually happened in back-to-back games this season remember???????

I like Conklin better too. But the decision has been made, it is what it is. We all argue about Therrian not keeping consistent lines right? Well atleast he made a consistent goalie decision!

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2008, 01:48 PM
You dont know that. Putting Conklin ahead of Fleury could definitely hurt his confidence

If he's not comfortable with the decision, then too bad. It's comes with the territory of being a goaltender. Like I said, the coaching staff on this team are not shrinks. They are not hired to worry about Fleury's mental well being. They were hired to win cups.

That is the inside word from the Pens and it makes sense to me

Ah, okay. So Shero did not flat out say it. Hence, it's just a straight up rumor. Gotcha'.

It didnt just happen in the past, it has happened several times this season!!!! (Conklin mishandling the puck behind the net leading to a goal) It actually happened in back-to-back games this season remember???????

Anytime you have a goalie who plays the puck like Conklin does, those type of goals will occur. Personally, I would rather have a goalie who can play the puck like Conklin, than a goalie who can't play the puck at all. I can't count how many times I've heard defenseman on this team state that Conklin makes their jobs a hell of alot easier.

Eitherway, the guy has the highest save percentage in the league while playing behind a mediocre defense. That's all it boils down to in my book. That and the fact we wouldn't even be debating on who to start in the playoffs if it weren't for Conklin.

Also, I get upset when Therrien states he's going to ride the hot goaltender and then he turns around and starts Fleury in back to back games after pulling him in the first game because he looked like shit. You ride the guy who got you here, the one who the defense is comfortable playing in front of and the one who continues to show you that he can win. Comparing what a coach does with his line combinations and how he handles a goaltending situation is apples and oranges.

I guess only time will tell if it is the "smart" move.

Lord Stiller
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I was enraged at first at the thought of Fleury taking over for Conklin

But Conklin has come back down to Earth in his last 3 starts and has not impressed

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I was enraged at first at the thought of Fleury taking over for Conklin

But Conklin has come back down to Earth in his last 3 starts and has not impressed

You can't expect the guy to play on his head every single night he starts in back of a mediocre defense. Not even Brodeur can do that every single night. I'm not seeing NJ taking out Brodeur and playing Weekes for two games straight nor am I hearing NJ fans calling for Marty's head because he has a tough night. If giving up one goal (that was his fault) last night was not impressive, I don't know what the guy has to do to prove it to some. Nevermind the amazing save he made the in the third and the other good save he made in the second.

I would rather go with a goalie with the highest save percentage than a goalie who has yet to show he can play solid on a consistent basis.

HometownGal
03-13-2008, 04:34 PM
As for Laraque, that was a dirty cheap shot elbow on Paetsch, and I hope the league throws the book at him. Just a stupid and selfish decision on his part. Given that the Stars' Steve Ott and the Flyers' Riley Cote got 3 games each for similar elbows to the head which the league is cracking down on, and that this is Laraque's second major + game misconduct of the season which carries an automatic 1-game suspension, I would say he gets 4-5 games, and deservedly so. You just can't do that, and he'd better be glad the Pens killed off that PP.

Yes, it most definitely was a cheap shot by Laraque. I love the guy, but there was no call for him to elbow Paetsch in the head like that. I, too, hope the league fines and suspends him. Seeing him laying on the ice like that last night and not moving was scary. I hope he is going to be OK.

Here's an update on Paetsch - looks like he is going to be out indefinitely with a concussion, further adding to the Sabes' defensive problems.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=356794&page=NewsPage&service=page

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -Nathan Paetsch is out indefinitely with a concussion, leaving the Buffalo Sabres' depleted defense down a third player in the midst of their final playoff push.

Paetsch will miss "a pretty good period of time," coach Lindy Ruff said Thursday, a day after Paetsch was leveled by a vicious elbow from Pittsburgh's Georges Laraque during Buffalo's 7-3 loss Wednesday night.

Paetsch had just passed the puck from deep in his own zone early in the second period when Laraque skated by and hit him with a raised elbow. Paetsch lay face-first on the ice for several minutes before getting to his knees. He was assisted to the Sabres dressing room.

Laraque drew a five-minute penalty, was ejected from the game, and could face further punishment from the league.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Nathan Paetsch is out indefinitely with a concussion, leaving the Buffalo Sabres' depleted defense down a third player in the midst of their final playoff push.

Paetsch will miss "a pretty good period of time," coach Lindy Ruff said Thursday,

IMO, Laraque should be suspended as long as Paetsch is out. Why should this guy be sitting at home while Laraque is out playing the game and contributing absolutely nothing to this team as of late?

You want to stop chicken shit elbows and baseball swings to the head? Stiffen the suspensions.

I'm still trying to figure out how Tod Bertuzzi is in this league. Meanwhile, Steve Moore is sitting at home, thankful he can still move his lower body.

fansince'76
03-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, it most definitely was a cheap shot by Laraque. I love the guy, but there was no call for him to elbow Paetsch in the head like that. I, too, hope the league fines and suspends him. Seeing him laying on the ice like that last night and not moving was scary. I hope he is going to be OK.

Yep, there was definitely no call for that by Laraque. Hopefully Paetsch recovers quickly. :hope:

HometownGal
03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Yep, there was definitely no call for that by Laraque. Hopefully Paetsch recovers quickly. :hope:

I love seeing a hard check and enjoy Laraque's fights, but what he did was blatantly low and cheap. I've really grown to like the guy, but a suspension and fine are more than justified in this case. Don't know if Georges is going to be with the team next season - there have already been issues between him and Therrien, and this may have been the straw that breaks the camel's back.

X-Terminator
03-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Here's an update on Paetsch - looks like he is going to be out indefinitely with a concussion, further adding to the Sabes' defensive problems.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=356794&page=NewsPage&service=page

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -Nathan Paetsch is out indefinitely with a concussion, leaving the Buffalo Sabres' depleted defense down a third player in the midst of their final playoff push.

Paetsch will miss "a pretty good period of time," coach Lindy Ruff said Thursday, a day after Paetsch was leveled by a vicious elbow from Pittsburgh's Georges Laraque during Buffalo's 7-3 loss Wednesday night.

Paetsch had just passed the puck from deep in his own zone early in the second period when Laraque skated by and hit him with a raised elbow. Paetsch lay face-first on the ice for several minutes before getting to his knees. He was assisted to the Sabres dressing room.

Laraque drew a five-minute penalty, was ejected from the game, and could face further punishment from the league.

Well, the verdict is in - Laraque gets a 3-game suspension, which IMO is not nearly long enough:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=356834

TORONTO – Pittsburgh Penguins’ forward Georges Laraque has been suspended for three games, without pay, as a result of an elbowing incident during NHL game #1059 on March 12, the National Hockey League announced today.

Laraque was assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct at 2:34 of the second period for an elbow to the head area of Buffalo player Nathan Paetsch.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Laraque will forfeit $20,855.61. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Laraque will miss Sunday’s game against Philadelphia, March 18 at the Rangers and March 20 against Tampa Bay. He is eligible to return March 22 against New Jersey.

It doesn't matter what you or I think. We are not a coach or manager on the Pens.

Fleury being our guy was a move that has already been made

for the record, I dont like Fluery either but I have come to terms with the decision

It's still not the right move. I think Conklin is getting the shaft big time. You ever hear the saying "Dance with who brought ya?" That's what they SHOULD be doing. Plus, Conklin's puck-handling skills alone would be an asset in the playoffs, because it disrupts the other team's forecheck and allows the Pens to have clean breakouts. Think about the Ottawa series last year - how often did you see our D-men pounded by the Sens' forwards on the forecheck? That is a direct result of having a goaltender who can't handle the puck.

Oh well, we can debate this until we're blue in the face, but if that's the direction the Pens are going, then so be it. I'll accept it, but I don't like it. At all.

SteelCityMan786
03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I wasn't stunned if he was going to end up as such.

Lord Stiller
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
what sucks is we won't have Laraque on Sunday vs Philly

they always goon up and take cheapshots on us

SteelCityMan786
03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
what sucks is we won't have Laraque on Sunday vs Philly

they always goon up and take cheapshots on us

I'm sure Gill will do some damage.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM

Judging that Laraque has been MIA when he is on the ice, I'll take Malone, Ruutu and Gill. Hell, even Kennedy at this point. At least he throws a check.

We can always call up Boogaard and give him a shot....

oCqOVT0we7o
atcueBIopWg

Lord Stiller
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
yeah Ruutu is the man! I hope we resign him next season. Take last game vs the Caps, Ruutu was f-ing people up! And he's smart about it too most of the time

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Gill can beast

HometownGal
03-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Are we talking about the same Hal Gill? :jawdrop: The man is a gargantuan but unfortunately doesn't utilize his body to do much of anything. He's still fairly new, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but damn it Hal - HIT SOMEONE.

Lord Stiller
03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08074/865217-100.stm

:banging:

HometownGal
03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Lord Stiller. The guys have stepped up their play big time since Sid was first injured and out of the lineup and I have no doubt that they'll come through again. :cheers:

BettisFan
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3293592

Yea this is just crazy come on he gets back then injured again?! Jeez this could be bad and could be a consistent trend?

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Jeez this could be bad and could be a consistent trend?

It could possibly have something to do with him having a high ankle sprain (which tends to take a full offseason to fully heal) and rushing him back too early.

IMO, it boils down to stupidity on the Penguins training staff, not a "consistent trend". Once again, Max Talbot.

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
It could possibly have something to do with him having a high ankle sprain (which tends to take a full offseason to fully heal) and rushing him back too early.

IMO, it boils down to stupidity on the Penguins training staff, not a "consistent trend". Once again, Max Talbot.

That was a perfect example.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Stan Savern stated tonight that Hossa said he is 99.9% sure he will play Sunday. Talbot is also playing. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-14-2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08074/865217-100.stm

:banging:

*sighs*

Maybe someday we'll be able to field a healthy lineup. Someday.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
That was a perfect example.

I would rather him take as many games off as possible than hurry back. I can only imagine what would be said by the one's who are complaining now if he's not ready in time for the playoffs because the Pens decided to bring him back early............................................. .......................again. :yawn::coffee:

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I would rather him take as many games off as possible than hurry back. I can only imagine what would be said by the one's who are complaining now if he's not ready in time for the playoffs because the Pens decided to bring him back early............................................. .......................again. :yawn::coffee:

The sooner he heals the better, but at the same time, the more time we give him to get healthy, the better.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
The sooner he heals the better,

Agree competely. At the same time, he has time to heal before the playoffs start. That's why I'm not crying and moaning. Let the guy heal and get him ready for the playoffs.

the more time we give him to get healthy, the better.

Bingo. The better he will be come playoff time.

Or.......

We can continue bringing him back early only to watch him leave us again. Hey, how about going down in the first round? I'm sure that will go over real well. :coffee:

HometownGal
03-15-2008, 03:55 PM
C'mon Georges - man up here. :dang:

Fleury will be in goal against the Flyers - gee what a shocker. :rolleyes: Great that we're getting Max back tomorrow and possibly Hossa. :thumbsup:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_557356.html?source=rss&feed=8

Notebook: Penguins' Laraque surprised by suspension
By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 15, 2008

? Penguins right winger Georges Laraque was more surprised than outraged over the three-game suspension handed down by the NHL for hitting Buffalo defenseman Nathan Paetsch in the jaw with an elbow, the first suspension of Laraque's career. Laraque received a five-minute major and a game-misconduct early in the second period of the Penguins' 7-3 victory Wednesday night.Paetsch suffered a concussion. "I barely touched him," Laraque said. "He's 5-foot-10 (Paetsch is officially listed at 6-1 and 198 pounds), I'm 6-3. I didn't raise my elbow. I was surprised he even got hurt. You look at the game before when he got hit by (the Rangers' Sean) Avery. People said he was OK, he came back from that, but he looked like he was dazed. I think he shouldn't have been playing against us (Paetsch was considered questionable for the Penguins game with a neck injury). "Maybe if he didn't get hit that game, and I hit him, it wouldn't have the had the same result. I got more punished on the result than the hit. If he would have been OK, if he would have gotten up, I probably would have been fine."

? Center Max Talbot (high-ankle sprain) practiced Friday and said he's "ready to go" for Sunday's game against Philadelphia. Right winger Marian Hossa (knee) practiced and said he'd "hopefully" be available for the Flyers game. Right winger Petr Sykora (back) didn't practice

? Marc-Andre Fleury is scheduled to start in goal against Philadelphia.

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2008, 04:36 PM
"I barely touched him,"

It doesn't take a Rocky Marciano hook to put a guy down when you clip him on the chin at full speed on skates.

I didn't raise my elbow.

His arm (elbow) extended during the play. It connected. That's called a blow to the head. That's a penalty. That deserves a fine/suspension.

I think he shouldn't have been playing against us

Georges Laraque M.D. is it?

If he would have been OK

Ummmm.......but he wasn't OK.

I'm not calling Laraque a dirty player, but that was a cheap shot. I don't care how the Laraque-apologists or Laraque himself want to slice it. Like I said, if it were Sid or Malkin, this city would be asking for a public hanging in the Mellon Arena parking lot.

Take your medicine like a man. :yawn:

Right winger Petr Sykora (back) didn't practice

Well, with the return of Talbot and the strong possibility of Hossa returning on Sunday, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sykora take the Flyer game off and rest his back.

Marc-Andre Fleury is scheduled to start in goal against Philadelphia.

Not surprised at all. A completely idiotic decision, but expected. :coffee:

Borski
03-15-2008, 06:33 PM
It doesn't take a Rocky Marciano hook to put a guy down when you clip him on the chin at full speed on skates.

His arm (elbow) extended during the play. It connected. That's called a blow to the head. That's a penalty. That deserves a fine/suspension.

Georges Laraque M.D. is it?

Ummmm.......but he wasn't OK.

I'm not calling Laraque a dirty player, but that was a cheap shot. I don't care how the Laraque-apologists or Laraque himself want to slice it. Like I said, if it were Sid or Malkin, this city would be asking for a public hanging in the Mellon Arena parking lot.

Take your medicine like a man. :yawn:

Well, with the return of Talbot and the strong possibility of Hossa returning on Sunday, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sykora take the Flyer game off and rest his back.

Not surprised at all. A completely idiotic decision, but expected. :coffee:

is there a video of the hit? I don't get to see many games down here.

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2008, 11:41 PM
is there a video of the hit? I don't get to see many games down here.

0Gtvw85TdGU

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Stan Savern stated tonight that Hossa said he is 99.9% sure he will play Sunday. Talbot is also playing. :thumbsup:

"It's nice that Hossa is going to be back in the lineup." coach Michel Therrien said after practice yesterday at Southpointe. "He hasn't had an opportunity to play a lot since we got him, but he's 100 percent and he looked really, really good the last two practices."

Hossa practiced on a line with center Jordan Staal and left winger Pascal Dupuis.

Sykora....

Winger Petr Sykora also expects to be in the lineup. He played Wednesday in a 7-3 win against Buffalo despite a sore back but practiced with no problems yesterday after getting two days off.

"We got lucky that we kind of got a break in our schedule," Sykora said. "I recovered and I'm ready for [today]."

Roberts....

Wearing the non-contact yellow jersey made famous by Sidney Crosby while he was recovering from a high ankle sprain, winger Gary Roberts returned to practice.

"It was nice to get out and do some of the drills," said Roberts, who has been out since he sustained a broken left leg and high ankle sprain Dec. 29. "It's a start anyway. It's been a long road. The battling, the cycle work, that's where I've got to get some time in."

Roberts has said he would like to come back in time to play five games before the playoffs. That would put him in the lineup March 27 at home against the New York Islanders.

"I think that's realistic," he said. "That's 12 days from [yesterday]. If I can skate and make improvement daily, hopefully we're sitting here in 10, 12 days and I'm close to playing."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08076/865588-61.stm

Scuderi....

Defenseman Rob Scuderi practiced yesterday and said he would meet with a team physician today to discuss the status of his injured right ring finger.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_557477.html

BettisFan
03-16-2008, 01:03 AM
dam he was out cold

Borski
03-16-2008, 02:32 AM
wow, thats worse then I thought.

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm happy to see that Hossa practiced on a line with Dupuis and Staal.

Speaking of Dupuis, blog from Pens sportswriter Brian Metzer.....

"Pascal Dupuis has been an amazing pick up. Ok, maybe that is a bit overstated, but he is clearly an upgrade over Army for the role that he is playing. He is fast, has a nice touch around the net and kills penalties with the best of them . Overall, he may end up being a more important acquisition that anyone could dream."

"Pascal Dupuis is proving to be a huge acquisition. He has done it all and is filling the third line role better than the Crusher or Army every could have. He is playing strong D, moving his feet and generating offense. Great player..."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=14031

I'm sure Metzer is making the "This team will implode without Army's humor" cult happy with that blog.

Lord Stiller
03-16-2008, 12:49 PM
F*ck the NHL and f*ck Philly

Richards just purposely kicked Malkin in the face with his skate while Malkin was schooling him. no penalty

thank god he wears a visor or else he could have lost his eyesight

X-Terminator
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
F*ck the NHL and f*ck Philly

Richards just purposely kicked Malkin in the face with his skate while Malkin was schooling him. no penalty

thank god he wears a visor or else he could have lost his eyesight

Richards no more tried to kick Malkin in the face than Olli Jokinen tried to slit Richard Zednik's throat. It was a complete accident, plus Richards isn't that kind of player anyway. I'm just glad Malkin wasn't seriously injured. At any rate...

Total domination today from start to finish. What more can you say? This is even more impressive than the win on Wednesday night. Malkin and Sykora with 4 points each, Dupuis with 3 assists, Gill with a goal and assist in perhaps his best game as a Penguin, and Hossa with a goal and assist. But let's be honest, the Flyers mailed it in today. They had no intensity or desperation at all, which was very surprising to me given that their season is hanging in the balance.

Now that I've finally gotten to see him play, Marian Hossa is an amazing player. Just the little plays he made today were very impressive, none more so than the chip and his stick-handling on Gill's goal. He is going to be such a treat to watch when he finally gets on a line with Sid.

I also really like Dupuis a lot - he is a definite upgrade over Army or Christensen. Skates hard, always battles in the corner, responsible defensively and has more than enough skill to chip in offensively. His acquisition may end up being just as important as Hossa's when it's all said and done.

And finally, it feels good to extract a little revenge on the Flyers for that 8-2 spanking they gave us in December. :jammin: :banana:

Lord Stiller
03-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Richards no more tried to kick Malkin in the face than Olli Jokinen tried to slit Richard Zednik's throat. It was a complete accident, plus Richards isn't that kind of player anyway. I'm just glad Malkin wasn't seriously injured. At any rate...

I dont buy that at all. Malkin skated behind him and Richards had nothing he could do except lift his skate up to impede Malkin. Total BS and very dangerous

How often do you see a player lift his skate 5 feet in the air? not an accident

Lord Stiller
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Congrats to our trade day acquisitions who all had great games

Gill - a goal and solid D. looks like he is finally coming around after a rocky start w the Pens

Dupuis - 3 assists. lots of speed and hustle on the ice

Hossa - 1 goal, 1 assist. looked good, nice moves and passing

And how about Malkin!!!! simply amazing! He is my favorite player by far. If somehow we resign Hossa and let Malkin go, I will never watch the Pens again

X-Terminator
03-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I dont buy that at all. Malkin skated behind him and Richards had nothing he could do except lift his skate up to impede Malkin. Total BS and very dangerous

How often do you see a player lift his skate 5 feet in the air? not an accident

Fairly often, actually. I watch a lot of hockey, not simply Penguins hockey, and I know this for a fact. Happens a lot when a player is tripped. It's just that most times the skate blade doesn't come anywhere near a player's head. But, if that's your take on it, that's fine - you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think it was intentional.

Lord Stiller
03-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Fairly often, actually. I watch a lot of hockey, not simply Penguins hockey, and I know this for a fact. Happens a lot when a player is tripped. It's just that most times the skate blade doesn't come anywhere near a player's head. But, if that's your take on it, that's fine - you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think it was intentional.

guess what? Richards wasn't tripped

X-Terminator
03-16-2008, 04:16 PM
guess what? Richards wasn't tripped

Uh, yeah I know, after all, I DID watch the game...

Let's just agree to disagree, OK?

SteelCityMan786
03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Philadelphia,

The Bitch of Pittsburgh.

Lord Stiller
03-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Uh, yeah I know, after all, I DID watch the game...

Let's just agree to disagree, OK?

you know what? first you said Richards was tripped then you say he wasnt. If you were at the game, its hard to see plays like that

that was my point, no contact was made between Malkin and Richards yet Richards skate lifts that high????

HometownGal
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
you know what? first you said Richards was tripped then you say he wasnt. If you were at the game, its hard to see plays like that

that was my point, no contact was made between Malkin and Richards yet Richards skate lifts that high????

LS - seriously, I don't see where XT indicated or even implied that he believed Richards was tripped. I believe he was talking about the NHL in general.

Great game today by our Pens! :thumbsup: They played 3 periods of hockey and owned the Flyers on that ice today. Excellent performance in goal by Fleury and I hope to see Conklin in net on Tuesday against the hated Rangers.

I was happy to see Gill have a solid performance. Up until today, I was totally unimpressed with his play - he looked lazy out there. Congrats to Hossa on his first goal as a Penguin! :cheers:

I have loved the Dupuis signing since day one. This young man is definitely a keeper. I was really hoping Sykora would get that hat trick - it would have been the first of his career which is hard to believe as he is a pretty consistent goal scorer. Geno was brutal out there again and swatted the Flyers away like fleas. :toofunny:

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

X-Terminator
03-16-2008, 08:03 PM
OK, now where in this:

Did you get this:

???

As HTG correctly pointed out, I never said nor implied that Richards was tripped. I said that skates come up most often when a player is tripped. I KNOW Richards wasn't tripped, he went to check Malkin, missed, got off-balance and his skate blade came up. That also happens a lot AROUND THE LEAGUE, except again, in most instances, the skate never reaches another player's head. Watch other games around the league, and you'll see what I mean. Hell, just watch the Zednik incident again, because it was quite similar in that Jokinen tripped over another player and his skate came up.

X-Terminator
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
LS - seriously, I don't see where XT indicated or even implied that he believed Richards was tripped. I believe he was talking about the NHL in general.

Great game today by our Pens! :thumbsup: They played 3 periods of hockey and owned the Flyers on that ice today. Excellent performance in goal by Fleury and I hope to see Conklin in net on Tuesday against the hated Rangers.

I was happy to see Gill have a solid performance. Up until today, I was totally unimpressed with his play - he looked lazy out there. Congrats to Hossa on his first goal as a Penguin! :cheers:

I have loved the Dupuis signing since day one. This young man is definitely a keeper. I was really hoping Sykora would get that hat trick - it would have been the first of his career which is hard to believe as he is a pretty consistent goal scorer. Geno was brutal out there again and swatted the Flyers away like fleas. :toofunny:

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

It is truly scary what this team can do when they play 60 minutes of hockey. They were all over the Flyers from the drop of the puck.

You know I've bashed Gill quite a bit since he was traded here, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Not only did he have a goal and assist, he also blocked 7 shots and was very effective down low killing penalties. The Flyers like to try a lot of cross-crease passes on the PP, and he effectively took it away, forcing them to hold on to the puck longer than they wanted to and helped to keep them on the perimeter rather than crashing the front of the net. I still would like to see more of a physical game out of him, but the past couple of games and especially today he looked pretty good.

As for who starts in goal, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Fleury gets the start against the Rangers. I still don't like it or agree with it, and I feel Conklin is getting the royal shaft, but I'm just going to have to accept it.

Edman
03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Wasn't able to catch the game.

But anytime the Pens beat Filthadelphia makes it a special day for me anyway. Great game, Penguins!

BettisFan
03-16-2008, 10:05 PM
We just dominated

HometownGal
03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Sens lost to the Canes tonight 5-1. :thumbsup:

BettisFan
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Nice!

Counselor
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
What a great game yesterday! The more I see and hear about Malkin the more I love him.
Despite the fact that both he and Sykora had two goals a piece, Malkin was trying to get Sykora the puck in the last few minutes so he could get the hat trick---since Sykora had never had one before.
Between that and giving Staal the empty-netter last week---I love his unselfish team attitude.
Seems like the whole group is gelling.

Edman
03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Sens lost to the Canes tonight 5-1. :thumbsup:

Even better.

By biggest concerns lie with the blasted Devils, though.

HometownGal
03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
This article makes good sense. No doubt about it - the Pens have to take 2 from the Devils in coming week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_557579.html

Pens must deal with Devils
By Guy Junker

FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 17, 2008

While one can only wonder if Sidney Crosby and Marian Hossa will ever get a chance to play together in the same game, there is something about the Penguins stretch drive that leaves little to ponder.

The only team the Penguins need to worry about in the standings is New Jersey. Catching the Devils is the only way they can avoid a fourth seed or worse in the Stanley Cup playoffs so forget about Ottawa, Montreal, and the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Those aren't nearly as important as the top spot in the Atlantic Division which would give the Penguins at worst the second seed.

The Pens play the Devils Saturday at Mellon Arena and again next Tuesday in Jersey and it sure would be nice to send a healthy lineup into the games that most likely will decide the division title.

Scheduling didn't help the Pens-Devils series this year as the two teams played three times in November which was the only losing month of the season for Pittsburgh. To win the season series now and get a tie-breaking edge over the Devils, the Penguins would need a sweep of the two games next week.

• Guys in the locker room might say home ice advantage in the playoffs isn't that important. But consider this. The Penguins penalty killing before yesterday's games was the third-worst in the league on the road. But it is seventh-best in the league at home.
Montreal is a very possible first round opponent and the Canadiens have the best power play in the NHL. For that reason alone it would be worth it to have home ice advantage. Anyone who watched the Pens kill the five minute elbowing major to Georges Laraque during the win over Buffalo at Mellon Arena last Wednesday would have to agree.

• The extra point given out to NHL teams for games they lose in overtime or in shootouts, has cheapened the standings to the point that only five teams in the entire league are technically below .500 with less than a month ago.

Whether you are trying to catch someone in front of you, or distance yourself from teams behind you, it becomes much tougher when many games are worth three total points.

Before yesterday, 235 NHL games this year went to overtime making those games worth three points instead of two. There has been some talk about making wins in regulation worth three points, but don't look for that to happen any time soon. From the NHL's standpoint, the more jammed the standings and the more teams still alive in March, the better.

SteelCityMan786
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
There is a reason Junker is one of the only people on WTAE I actually like.

BettisFan
03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
we got this I think this may be our year!

X-Terminator
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
This article makes good sense. No doubt about it - the Pens have to take 2 from the Devils in coming week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_557579.html

Pens must deal with Devils
By Guy Junker

FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 17, 2008

While one can only wonder if Sidney Crosby and Marian Hossa will ever get a chance to play together in the same game, there is something about the Penguins stretch drive that leaves little to ponder.

The only team the Penguins need to worry about in the standings is New Jersey. Catching the Devils is the only way they can avoid a fourth seed or worse in the Stanley Cup playoffs so forget about Ottawa, Montreal, and the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Those aren't nearly as important as the top spot in the Atlantic Division which would give the Penguins at worst the second seed.

The Pens play the Devils Saturday at Mellon Arena and again next Tuesday in Jersey and it sure would be nice to send a healthy lineup into the games that most likely will decide the division title.

Scheduling didn't help the Pens-Devils series this year as the two teams played three times in November which was the only losing month of the season for Pittsburgh. To win the season series now and get a tie-breaking edge over the Devils, the Penguins would need a sweep of the two games next week.

• Guys in the locker room might say home ice advantage in the playoffs isn't that important. But consider this. The Penguins penalty killing before yesterday's games was the third-worst in the league on the road. But it is seventh-best in the league at home.
Montreal is a very possible first round opponent and the Canadiens have the best power play in the NHL. For that reason alone it would be worth it to have home ice advantage. Anyone who watched the Pens kill the five minute elbowing major to Georges Laraque during the win over Buffalo at Mellon Arena last Wednesday would have to agree.

• The extra point given out to NHL teams for games they lose in overtime or in shootouts, has cheapened the standings to the point that only five teams in the entire league are technically below .500 with less than a month ago.

Whether you are trying to catch someone in front of you, or distance yourself from teams behind you, it becomes much tougher when many games are worth three total points.

Before yesterday, 235 NHL games this year went to overtime making those games worth three points instead of two. There has been some talk about making wins in regulation worth three points, but don't look for that to happen any time soon. From the NHL's standpoint, the more jammed the standings and the more teams still alive in March, the better.

I was thinking about this myself last week. Since we can't seem to make ground on them because they keep winning, we're going to have to win both of those games if we're to be in good position to win the division, no question about it. The Devils always seem to have our number though,, especially here in Pittsburgh, where we have lost all 3 games this season and I believe have lost 5 in a row dating back to last season. We also need to win 2 of the 3 remaining games against the Rangers as well, so we'll have the tiebreaker edge over them should we end up tied. They've lost their last 2 after going on a 13-game point streak, so tomorrow night would be a good time to take advantage of them and get the win.

SteelCityMan786
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
we got this I think this may be our year!

:jammin: I believe

HometownGal
03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Petr Sykora named NHL #2 Star of the Week. Congrats Petr! :cheers: One of our best signings in recent years, imho. :thumbsup:

SECOND STAR -- PETR SYKORA, RW, PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Sykora recorded six points (three goals, three assists) in two games, including the game-winning goal in each contest, as the Penguins (41-24-7, 89 points) finished the week one point behind the New Jersey Devils for first place in the tight Atlantic Division race. He notched the game-winner and added one assist in a 7-3 victory over the Buffalo Sabres Mar. 12 and posted a season-high four points (two goals, two assists) in 7-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers Mar. 16, reaching the 25-goal mark for the ninth consecutive season. Sykora is fourth on the Penguins in scoring with 58 points (25 goals, 33 assists) in 72 games.

SteelCityMan786
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Congrats Sykora :cheers:

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 07:56 AM
I wish the talking heads would just shut up!!!! Every other team out there would love to be in our position with Sidney, Malkin and Hossa - or a combination of any of them. :dang::dang:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_557770.html

Malkin concerns puzzle Penguins
By Rob Rossi

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

As a countryman, friend and local landlord, defenseman Sergei Gonchar has willingly devoted considerable time over the past two seasons talking about - and often for - teammate Evgeni Malkin.

One subject has drawn the ire of Gonchar, who cannot understand a popular theory that Malkin is at his best when captain Sidney Crosby is not around.

"It's just not true," Gonchar said Monday, a day after Malkin pulled within two points of fellow Russian Alexander Ovechkin, a Washington left wing, in the NHL scoring race by tallying twice and recording two assists in the Penguins' 7-1 victory against Philadelphia on Sunday.

"I don't think it's the right approach ... to say that somebody has to take a back seat or be in the front seat. It's not fair to either guy to say, 'OK, (Crosby) is No. 1 and (Malkin) is No. 2.' It's not going to work that way."

Crosby, the Penguins' captain, will not play tonight against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden. He has missed 23 of the past 26 games due to a high right ankle sprain.

The Penguins have gone 13-6-4 without Crosby, the reigning league MVP and scoring champion. They have done so primarily because Malkin, in his second season, has thrust himself into contention for those various honors while assuming Crosby's role as the Penguins' top center.

Malkin has scored 17 goals and recorded 42 points without Crosby - good for 1.83 points per game, compared to 1.12 with Crosby. Malkin has totaled as many multiple-point games this season without Crosby (12) as with him.

Crosby could return to the Penguins' lineup against New Jersey at Mellon Arena on Saturday. Even if he does, all eyes will remain on Malkin, who scored only a goal to go with three assists in three games Crosby played March 4-9 after missing 21 consecutive contests due to his injury.

Gonchar is most vocal among teammates who urge outsiders not to read too much into the difference in Malkin's productivity with and without Crosby.

"They played two games together when Sid came back before 'Geno' had three assists and Sid scored two goals against Washington (March 9)," Gonchar said. "Two games, that's all. It's not fair to judge them based off two games. They were really good in the third game - a game that was tight like a playoff game, too."

Forward Maxime Talbot, a close friend to Crosby and Malkin's traveling roommate, said talk - in the media or among fans - of "a different Malkin when Sid plays" is "insane."

"Look, they are two of the best players in the world, and they play the same position, and they're both dominant," Talbot said. "That's a bad thing?

"This idea that Geno is a better player without Sid - that's just nonsense. It's, like, all of a sudden people are worried about Sid coming back. It's like any team wouldn't want Sid to come back and play with Geno.

"It's not No. 1 and No. 1-A. It's not No. 1 and No. 2. With Geno and Sid, it's Nos. 1 and 1. Throw in (right wing Marian Hossa) and it's Nos. 1 and 1 and 1. We've got a lot of No. 1s. It's not a terrible problem."

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Looks like the Pens Dads will be in attendance at tonight's game. :cheers:

Conks gets the start! :thumbsup:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_557771.html

Early Father's Day for Pens
By Rob Rossi

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Penguins had company on their charter flight after practice Monday - their dads. The team selected its one-game trip to New York City for its annual fathers-sons dinner.

Team officials, management and coaches joined players and their fathers for a private meal last night. The players' fathers will attend the game tonight against the New York Rangers.

Conklin gets start

Goaltender Ty Conklin will start against the Rangers - only his second nod in the past seven games. Conklin leads the NHL with a .927 save percentage and is 2-0-0 with a .938 save percentage in his career against the Rangers.

However, coach Michel Therrien said the fathers trip also played into his decision to start Conklin.

"One thing that is important ... his dad flew from Alaska to see his son play," Therrien said. "We are trying to have a family affair with our team. From my standpoint and the standpoint of everyone involved, I think it's important to play Ty."

Getting familiar

The Penguins will face the Rangers in three of their final 10 games, including games on consecutive days March 30-31.

The game March 30 at Mellon Arena will start at 12:30 p.m. and be televised nationally by NBC. The Penguins are 3-0-0 this season in games aired by NBC, and Malkin has totaled seven points in those contests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digits
97 - Points for center Evgeni Malkin.

86 - Combined points of Jordan Staal and Colorado's Paul Stastny, the other two finalists for the Calder Trophy last season.

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I wish the talking heads would just shut up!!!! Every other team out there would love to be in our position with Sidney, Malkin and Hossa - or a combination of any of them. :dang::dang:...

Don't you just love the media? Only they could turn Geno merely stepping up his game (like, you know, EVERYONE ELSE has had to do with Sid out) into some kind of controversy. Plus, did they ever stop to think that the reason why Malkin's numbers are better with Sid out is because it has allowed him to focus on strictly playing center and developing chemistry with Bugsy and Sykora, two good, consistent linemates? When you're constantly being shuffled back and forth between center and wing, of course your numbers are going to take a bit of a hit. But of course, the media never considers anything like that, but would rather stir up shit where it isn't necessary. I totally understand Gonchar and Talbot bristling at the notion that Geno is a different player when Sid's out.

Looks like the Pens Dads will be in attendance at tonight's game. :cheers:

Conks gets the start! :thumbsup:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_557771.html

Early Father's Day for Pens
By Rob Rossi

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Penguins had company on their charter flight after practice Monday - their dads. The team selected its one-game trip to New York City for its annual fathers-sons dinner.

Team officials, management and coaches joined players and their fathers for a private meal last night. The players' fathers will attend the game tonight against the New York Rangers.

Conklin gets start

Goaltender Ty Conklin will start against the Rangers - only his second nod in the past seven games. Conklin leads the NHL with a .927 save percentage and is 2-0-0 with a .938 save percentage in his career against the Rangers.

However, coach Michel Therrien said the fathers trip also played into his decision to start Conklin.

"One thing that is important ... his dad flew from Alaska to see his son play," Therrien said. "We are trying to have a family affair with our team. From my standpoint and the standpoint of everyone involved, I think it's important to play Ty."

Nice gesture, obviously, but Therrien is pretty much saying that if Ty's dad didn't come in to see him play, Fleury would be playing tonight. Eh...OK. I'm just glad he's going to be in goal tonight for an important game.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Rangers just scored 1-0 them

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
2-0 Rangers after 1. Not a good period there by the Pens, but they're only down 2 goals - not exactly an insurmountable lead. If they can get a goal early in the 2nd, they'll be in good shape, I think. Let's hope for it!

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
RUUUUUUTUUUUUU!!! Pens down 2-1. C'mon guys - keep it going! :cheers:

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Jordan Staal makes it 2-2!!! :thumbsup::banana:

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Well it looked like things sucked till the end of my Driver's Ed Class. Don't worry folks, I'm here!!!!!

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 08:07 PM
No defensemen in front of the net. :dang::dang: Rangers up 3-2.

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Well it looked like things sucked till the end of my Driver's Ed Class. Don't worry folks, I'm here!!!!!

Good to see you Matt - not a Pens game without you! :cheers:

Dupuis has been on fire - assisted on Staal's goal. That turned out to be one helluva trade all the way around! :thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
watching the Whitney/Sydor defensive pairing makes me want to puke. They are god awful

Lord Stiller
03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
hahahahaha RUUTU is the greatest hockey player ever IMO :tt02:

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
No defensemen in front of the net. :dang::dang: Rangers up 3-2.

Nothing you can do when your defenseman (Whitney) gives the puck right to the Rangers' player right in the slot for an uncontested breakaway. That one is all on him, and the thing is, he's been doing this shit all season long. Just killed all of the momentum the Pens had after tying it up.

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Good to see you Matt - not a Pens game without you! :cheers:

Dupuis has been on fire - assisted on Staal's goal. That turned out to be one helluva trade all the way around! :thumbsup:

Thanks Marianne. I just love the PA Drivers Ed Class(NOT).

Anyway, looks like they're playing better now then what they were.

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Nice Penalty Kill right there.

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Good God, our D has been giving the puck away like crazy tonight. Gonchar had a similar giveaway that Whitney did, only he didn't give it to a player in the slot. Letang and (gasp) Gill has been our best pairing tonight. Letang has probably been our best D-man over the last couple of months to be honest. A 20 year old outplaying guys that have been in the league 10+ years.

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
3-2 after 2. Again, if they can get an early goal and tie it up, they have a good chance at winning this game. They just need to play smart in their own end - way too much sloppy play from our defensemen. We have a chance to take over the conference lead and put a little distance between us and the Rags - let's get it done boys!

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Wow, Dupuis gets upended and no penalty is callled? Wow.

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
4-2 Rags - Avery with his second goal. Looks like that's the game, folks. Not exactly the kind of effort I was hoping for tonight, but I guess they shot their wad in their last 2 games. The Rangers have our number this year.

EDIT - Make it 5-2. And guess who was running around in their own end again? Whitney and Sydor. They have been absolutely brutal tonight.

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
This team looks Flatter then a flat tire.

Lord Stiller
03-18-2008, 09:14 PM
When Scuderi is back, Sydor must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sydor sucks

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 09:22 PM
When Scuderi is back, Sydor must go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sydor sucks

Now in fairness to Sydor, I thought he'd played pretty well over the past few weeks. But that doesn't give him a pass for tonight. He stunk, plain and simple. And Whitney...he just pisses me off with the lackadaisical efforts he puts up defensively. A prime example of that was in the 3rd period before the Rags went up 4-2, when he just looked at Martin Straka skate right by him behind the net and take the puck. He was no more than 2 feet away from him and he did nothing!!!!! And now we're in the unenviable task of having to pick who we want to win tomorrow night when the Rags play the Devils. If the Rags win, they're just 2 points behind us for 2nd place. If the Devils win, they move 3 ahead of us. So what do you do? The Pens had a golden opportunity tonight, and blew it.

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Let's forget this game and move on. Here's to a better game against Tampa Bay :jammin:

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Let's forget this game and move on. Here's to a better game against Tampa Bay :jammin:

AMEN Matt! :cheers: Hopefully, we'll get our revenge against them on Sunday afternoon. They've played so well lately - a bit of a slip was inevitable, though it hurts losing to a division opponent who is hot on our trail.

X-Terminator
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM

I hope so. I do NOT want to blow a chance at having home ice in the first round. As well as they've played recently, they still have not separated themselves at all from the pack. With 9 games left and 8 against the division, they'd better keep it geared up, otherwise they will be starting the playoffs on the road again. Now the next 5 games are critical - home against TB on Thursday, NJ at home Saturday, at NYI Monday, at NJ next Tuesday, vs. NYI next Thursday. They have to win 4 of those 5 games plus beat NJ both times before I'll feel somewhat comfortable. And to make matters worse, Montreal is tied 3-3 with St. Louis in the 3rd period. We need to stay ahead of them as well.

God, this is so friggin nerve-racking!!!!

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Well that sucked.. come on the rangers!

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
AMEN Matt! :cheers: Hopefully, we'll get our revenge against them on Sunday afternoon. They've played so well lately - a bit of a slip was inevitable, though it hurts losing to a division opponent who is hot on our trail.

I refuse to stop believing in the Pittsburgh Penguins.

BettisFan
03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
I refuse to stop believing in the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Good man, how can we stop it would just be wrong

HometownGal
03-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I hope so. I do NOT want to blow a chance at having home ice in the first round. As well as they've played recently, they still have not separated themselves at all from the pack. With 9 games left and 8 against the division, they'd better keep it geared up, otherwise they will be starting the playoffs on the road again. Now the next 5 games are critical - home against TB on Thursday, NJ at home Saturday, at NYI Monday, at NJ next Tuesday, vs. NYI next Thursday. They have to win 4 of those 5 games plus beat NJ both times before I'll feel somewhat comfortable. And to make matters worse, Montreal is tied 3-3 with St. Louis in the 3rd period. We need to stay ahead of them as well.

God, this is so friggin nerve-racking!!!!

I was a little ahead of myself with the Rangers game at home - you know how I look forward to those games! :toofunny::thumbsup:

Montreal lost in a SO to the Blues 4-3. :banana: Gives us a little breathing room, but not much. I'd like them to win all of their remaining games, but I'm a realist and give them a bit of a margin for error. I'm not going to put almost impossible expectations upon them.

X-Terminator
03-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I was a little ahead of myself with the Rangers game at home - you know how I look forward to those games! :toofunny::thumbsup:

Montreal lost in a SO to the Blues 4-3. :banana: Gives us a little breathing room, but not much. I'd like them to win all of their remaining games, but I'm a realist and give them a bit of a margin for error. I'm not going to put almost impossible expectations upon them.

Believe me, I am too! I'd like to go into those games in a pretty good position though, so that's why I'd like to see them win 4 of the next 5 before, and they MUST win both NJ games. I still think the Rangers are due for a bit of a fall - they just can't keep up this pace for the rest of the season. They have been very tough to beat at home all season long - they have the best home record in the East, as a matter of fact. That's OK - we'll smack 'em up on the 30th! :cheers: :thumbsup:

That's good that Montreal lost, so we're just a point behind with a game in hand. I'd like to stay ahead of them just in case Ottawa gets hot and takes over the division lead, so that we can have home ice should we face them. Of course, the Pens have to keep winning themselves, but I think that's critical, even though the road team won every game in the series this season. They really don't have much margin for error, IMO - not if they want to be at home in the first round. They can't afford too many more losses in these remaining games.

Lord Stiller
03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
I still think the Rangers are due for a bit of a fall - they just can't keep up this pace for the rest of the season. They have been very tough to beat at home all season long

I disagree that the Rangers are due for a fall. They have a lot of talent plus a lot of gritty players as you could see from the beating they put on the Pens last night. Lundqvist struggled earlier in the season which is why the Rangers truggled. But he has proven to be an elite goalie. Another interesting tidbit is the Rangers record in the division is something like 19-4. Rangers will be tough to beat in the playoffs and are my darkhorse team to go to the finals

That's good that Montreal lost, so we're just a point behind with a game in hand. I'd like to stay ahead of them just in case Ottawa gets hot and takes over the division lead, so that we can have home ice should we face them.

If we cant beat out Jersey, we have to get that 4th seed for home ice. Also, I would much rather play Montreal than Ottawa. I think we match up better against Montreal

memphissteelergirl
03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Anyone know if there will be any more Pens games broadcast on NBC this season? I missed the last one....thanks!

HometownGal
03-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Anyone know if there will be any more Pens games broadcast on NBC this season? I missed the last one....thanks!

The Pens season finale on April 6th against the Flyers will be broadcast on NBC.

Do you have Versus?

Lord Stiller
03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
The Pens season finale on April 6th against the Flyers will be broadcast on NBC.

Also, Sunday March 30th vs the Rangers is broadcasted on NBC

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
thats weak only 2 games

Lord Stiller
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM
thats weak only 2 games

they have 2 more on Versus also (March 24, and 31)

BettisFan
03-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I dont have versus :(

X-Terminator
03-20-2008, 12:34 AM
I disagree that the Rangers are due for a fall. They have a lot of talent plus a lot of gritty players as you could see from the beating they put on the Pens last night. Lundqvist struggled earlier in the season which is why the Rangers truggled. But he has proven to be an elite goalie. Another interesting tidbit is the Rangers record in the division is something like 19-4. Rangers will be tough to beat in the playoffs and are my darkhorse team to go to the finals

If we cant beat out Jersey, we have to get that 4th seed for home ice. Also, I would much rather play Montreal than Ottawa. I think we match up better against Montreal

You may be right about the Rangers, but Lundqvist has to prove to me that he can get it done in the playoffs. So far, he has not. The Rags were 4 games and done his rookie year and after beating a weak Atlanta team that got the 3rd seed last season only because they played in the pathetic Southeast Division, they got spanked by the Sabres in the second round. They may have a little more talent this season, but Lundqvist hasn't done a damn thing yet. On top of that, the Rags don't exactly have the Ducks' defensive corps. They are only slightly better than the Pens in that regard.

All I'll say about the division games is that if they can't find a way to win the majority of these remaining games, then not only do they not deserve to win the division, but they will more than likely be starting the playoffs on the road, where they have struggled mightily against likely playoff teams. They have not beaten the Flyers, Rangers or Hurricanes on the road, beat Boston and Ottawa only once, won both road games against Montreal and won 2 of 3 against the Devils. Sorry to say that if that happens, they'll be one round and done again.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Do you guys think we can end up number one in the division? I think we might lose it if we keep playing like this.

X-Terminator
03-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Do you guys think we can end up number one in the division? I think we might lose it if we keep playing like this.

Not if they can't solve the problem with Atlantic teams. It's not over by any stretch of the imagination - the Pens are just 2 points behind the Devils and can tie them tonight with a win over the Lightning (though the Devils will still hold the lead as they will have a game in hand on the Pens), and they have won 5 of their last 7 games. But they had better find a way to beat the Devils and Rangers especially if they are to have any hopes of winning the division.

Lord Stiller
03-20-2008, 08:40 AM
but Lundqvist has to prove to me that he can get it done in the playoffs. So far, he has not.

This is true. But he dominated the 2006 olympics and won the gold. This is why i think he can get it done

HometownGal
03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Very good read on Ryan Malone. I don't think this guy gets the props he is due with regard to how much he really contributes to this team! I really hope the Pens can find a way to keep him with a deal that will make both sides happy for a long time. :cheers:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08080/866579-61.stm

Malone at core of team's success
Thursday, March 20, 2008

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There was a time, through his first few seasons in the NHL, when Ryan Malone seemed like a pretty good guy for the Penguins to have around.

Not anymore.

It's hard to think of him as a significant piece of the Penguins' personnel jigsaw anymore.

Malone, you see, has become a whole lot more important than that.

So much so that assistant coach Mike Yeo believes Malone has "absolutely" claimed a place among the franchise's core players.

"He's been a huge part of everything we've accomplished the last couple of years," Yeo said. "You don't win games consistently the way we have without guys doing the little things that he does.

"He scores goals, but he contributes in other ways. He's a physical presence, he's going to jump in there for his teammates. He's obviously an important part of our penalty-killing, he's strong [on the boards], he's improved away from the puck. He contributes in a lot of ways."

Malone enters the Penguins' game tonight against Tampa Bay at Mellon Arena with a career-high 24 goals and 21 assists in 68 games.

He hasn't done much this season that wasn't in his repertoire before, but he has been doing it all a lot more regularly. The one element glaringly absent from his game -- consistency -- has been grafted onto it this winter.

Just in time for Malone to attract even more attention than he otherwise would have if he reaches unrestricted free agency July 1.

"It's the perfect storm for him," Penguins general manager Ray Shero said. "Obviously, he's had a very good year for himself."

The Penguins have made Malone and his agent, former NHL goalie Mike Liut, aware that they're interested in re-signing him, and there have been preliminary discussions about a new contract, but the talks don't figure to get serious until the Penguins' playoff run is over.

How Malone performs during the postseason could have a significant impact on what his next contract looks like, regardless of where he gets it. It's not out of the question, though, that he could at least double the $1.45 million he's getting this season.

Money isn't the only variable that could be a factor in how the negotiations play out. Because Malone is a Western Pennsylvania native, he has strong ties to the region and franchise, but it's unclear whether those bonds will have an impact on the talks.

That Malone would like to stay is a given. The question is whether he would be willing -- or will be asked -- to let any personal considerations trump financial ones.

Predictably, Malone is noncommittal.

"Obviously, we have a great team here, and I'd love to be part of that for many years," he said. "We just have to wait and see what happens."

What probably happens is that every time Malone raps in a rebound or helps to snuff an opposing power play or sticks up for a smaller teammate, his value gets bumped up a bit.

That might seem like incentive for Shero to quietly root for him to occasionally squander a scoring opportunity or make an ill-conceived pass, but it doesn't work that way.

"When he scores a goal or sets up a goal or gets in a fight, I don't sit there and say, 'Ah, why did you do that?' Shero said, smiling. "We're all thinking the same thing."

That, of course, is to finish as high as possible in the Eastern Conference standings, then go on an extended run in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Maybe even one that lasts until June.

Malone almost certainly will play a prominent role in the Penguins' success if that happens. Not because he has a flair for the spectacular, but because he recognizes, and makes the most of, his assets.

"The best thing I think he does is, he plays to his strengths," Yeo said. "When he's on the power play, he's not going to try to deke guys out, one-on-one. He's going to stand in front of the net and create traffic and get a lot of deflections and rebounds.

"When he's five-on-five, he's going to drive [to] the net and open up lanes and get a lot of goals by outmuscling guys down low. He plays to his strengths, and it's a smart player who does that."

And sometime in the next few months, the smart player will become a wealthy one, too.

HometownGal
03-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Looks like Sid will be out at least 2 more games. :dang: Oh well - better to have him get that ankle in tip top shape for the playoffs than risk injuring it further and missing the playoffs. I don't think it can be argued that we need Sid the Kid for our playoff run!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08080/866578-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Crosby to miss two more games
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sidney Crosby has been all but officially ruled out of the Penguins' showdown Saturday with New Jersey at Mellon Arena.

Crosby, who is resting a high ankle sprain he got Jan. 18, will sit out his fourth consecutive game tonight when Tampa Bay visits Mellon Arena.

He is scheduled to resume skating on his own today, but coach Michel Therrien said he doesn't expect to have Crosby available for the game against the Devils, with whom the Penguins are competing for first place in the Eastern Conference and the Atlantic Division.

"He's not going to play this weekend," Therrien said. "He's going to be on the ice [today], with the conditioning coach [Mike Kadar]. That's the first step."

If Crosby misses the New Jersey game, his next opportunity to return will come Monday when the Penguins visit Long Island. They will face the Devils in Newark the next night.

"He has to go through the weekend, skating, and we'll see how he feels" before deciding if Crosby will play in either of those games, Therrien said.

He was adamant that the Penguins will not rush Crosby back, and that Crosby, like other injured players, will have the final say on when he's able to return.

"If they feel good about themselves, feel confident, feel strong, we're going to use them," Therrien said. "It's up to the player to let us know when they're ready to play."

While the Penguins plan to get Crosby some game action during the closing weeks of the regular season, their priority is to have him as prepared as possible for the postseason.

"The most important thing for us is that he's ready for the playoffs," Therrien said. "At this point, we have to make sure he's going to be ready."

X-Terminator
03-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh that's just wonderful. :dang: So now we're going to have to beat the Devils at home without Sid. Good luck with that.

I'm all for getting him ready for the playoffs, but for crying out loud, our place in the standings is hanging in the balance here!!! I want home-ice advantage in the first round - I will not be pleased with anything less.

Lord Stiller
03-20-2008, 10:55 AM
We should sit Sid the next 3 games and bring him back Tuesday at Jersey

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Looks like Sid will be out at least 2 more games. :dang: Oh well - better to have him get that ankle in tip top shape for the playoffs than risk injuring it further and missing the playoffs. I don't think it can be argued that we need Sid the Kid for our playoff run!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08080/866578-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Crosby to miss two more games
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sidney Crosby has been all but officially ruled out of the Penguins' showdown Saturday with New Jersey at Mellon Arena.

Crosby, who is resting a high ankle sprain he got Jan. 18, will sit out his fourth consecutive game tonight when Tampa Bay visits Mellon Arena.

He is scheduled to resume skating on his own today, but coach Michel Therrien said he doesn't expect to have Crosby available for the game against the Devils, with whom the Penguins are competing for first place in the Eastern Conference and the Atlantic Division.

"He's not going to play this weekend," Therrien said. "He's going to be on the ice [today], with the conditioning coach [Mike Kadar]. That's the first step."

If Crosby misses the New Jersey game, his next opportunity to return will come Monday when the Penguins visit Long Island. They will face the Devils in Newark the next night.

"He has to go through the weekend, skating, and we'll see how he feels" before deciding if Crosby will play in either of those games, Therrien said.

He was adamant that the Penguins will not rush Crosby back, and that Crosby, like other injured players, will have the final say on when he's able to return.

"If they feel good about themselves, feel confident, feel strong, we're going to use them," Therrien said. "It's up to the player to let us know when they're ready to play."

While the Penguins plan to get Crosby some game action during the closing weeks of the regular season, their priority is to have him as prepared as possible for the postseason.

"The most important thing for us is that he's ready for the playoffs," Therrien said. "At this point, we have to make sure he's going to be ready."

Well that just dampends my hopes, come on what up with all these injuries Sid!

SteelCityMan786
03-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Well Malkin, time for you to keep doing your thing, and for everyone else, pick it up a notch.

memphissteelergirl
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I dont have versus :(

*Sigh* neither do I

I am perhaps one of the few remaining holdouts in the USA that does not have cable or satellite. :wink02:

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
wow how can u live

HometownGal
03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Well Malkin, time for you to keep doing your thing, and for everyone else, pick it up a notch.

Exactly. While certainly they are a stronger team with Sid in there, Malkin & Co. did what they needed to do to stay at or close to the top of the heap in his absence and I have no doubt that they will rise above it all again until he can come back 100%HEALTHY. :thumbsup:

It is sooooo refereshing to share a positive attitude with you, Matt! :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
03-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Exactly. While certainly they are a stronger team with Sid in there, Malkin & Co. did what they needed to do to stay at or close to the top of the heap in his absence and I have no doubt that they will rise above it all again until he can come back 100%HEALTHY. :thumbsup:

It is sooooo refereshing to share a positive attitude with you, Matt! :cheers:

Agreed.

It's a dirty job to do, but hey, someone (or in this case some people) have to do it. :cheers: I'm too much of an optimist. That's how I like it, pessimism is not friendly.

BettisFan
03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Pens up 1-0 against Tampa Bay in the 1st 5:40 left

SteelCityMan786
03-20-2008, 08:15 PM
It would be nice to see they beat the Lightning.

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 09:18 AM
It would be nice to see they beat the Lightning.

Well you got your wish Matt! :cheers: It was a very good game and Ruutu was my hero last night! :thumbsup: I really hope the Pens re-sign him next season - since he's gotten more ice time over the last couple of months with the injury to Hall, he's played extremely well (while still being an annoying little pissant to the other teams - LOL!)

The Habs are presently in the top spot in the Eastern Conference but the Pens and the Devils are each a point out. Winning tomorrow night against Jersey is crucial.

Lord Stiller
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
It was a very good game and Ruutu was my hero last night! :thumbsup: I really hope the Pens re-sign him next season - since he's gotten more ice time over the last couple of months with the injury to Hall, he's played extremely well (while still being an annoying little pissant to the other teams - LOL!)

Ruutu and Malkin are my favorite players on the team by far

You can't measure what Ruutu brings to the ice. He is the ultimate role player

Lord Stiller
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
btw tomorrow night is our most important game of the year, at home vs Jersey

HometownGal
03-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Ruutu and Malkin are my favorite players on the team by far

You can't measure what Ruutu brings to the ice. He is the ultimate role player

Did you see Ruutu last night when he was "shuffling" down the ice kicking the puck between his feet like a soccer ball? If he had scored on that play, it would have brought the house down! It's funny- I have both a Ruutu and a Gonchar jersey and it seems that whichever one I wear to the games, the other one scores - LOL! I wore the 55 jersey last night and Ruutu scored a goal.

Tomorrow night's game is very critical. We won't have Sid back for that one, but we should be OK with our current lineup. Brodeur is usually a brick wall in front of that net, but the Pens have had some success against him in the past and I am hoping that continues tomorrow night in da Burgh. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Well you got your wish Matt! :cheers: It was a very good game and Ruutu was my hero last night! :thumbsup: I really hope the Pens re-sign him next season - since he's gotten more ice time over the last couple of months with the injury to Hall, he's played extremely well (while still being an annoying little pissant to the other teams - LOL!)

The Habs are presently in the top spot in the Eastern Conference but the Pens and the Devils are each a point out. Winning tomorrow night against Jersey is crucial.

It's all a matter of timing Mar. :cheers:

Ruutu more then deserves a new contract. I have been impressed with how he has improved and taken advantage of his extra on ice time this year.

SteelCityMan786
03-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Looking at the Eastern Conference Playoffs(PTS-Games Left)
1 Montreal 92-7
2 New Jersey 91-9
3 Carolina 87-6
4 Pittsburgh 91-8
5 Ottawa 89-8
6 N.Y. Rangers 87-8
7 Boston 83-8
8 Philadelphia 82-8
Still Alive
9 Buffalo 81-8
10 Washington 80-7
11 Florida 79-7
12 Toronto 76-8
13 N.Y. Islanders 71-8
14 Atlanta 70-6
15 Tampa Bay 66-8

Scenarios at this point
Tampa Bay
is OUT with:
3 Philadelphia wins/2 Tampa Bay Losses
3 Philly wins, 2 Boston wins/1-2 Tampa Bay Losses

Montreal
Can Clinch The Northeast Division
With 2 Wins and 2 Buffalo Loss(Buffalo can still make it to 97 points)
With 3 Wins and 1 Buffalo Loss

Pittsburghfan
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I was at the last night game. vs Tampa. The atmosphere was amazing. The building went crazy with the Ruutu wait i mean RUUUUUUUUUTU soccer play. Too bad Talbot(I think who got it) scored than the roof would have been blown off.

HometownGal
03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Great win by our Pens tonight 7-1 over the Devils! :thumbsup::banana: Two goals each by Geno (now has 102 points and is 4 behind Ovechkin) and Malone, 1 each by Sykora, Dupuis and Ruuuuuuutu. Fleury played well again in goal and our D was off the charts! A rare occurrence - Marty being replaced after the 4th goal. :jawdrop: Pens are now in first place in the division again and second place in the Conference as the damned Habs won in a SO. :dang:

Sens also lost to the Leafs 5-4. :thumbsup: We get a reprieve tomorrow and onto Nassau Coliseum on Monday night to play the Isles (without Rick DiPietro! :cheers:)

LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh Devils, that's my First Place Throne you're in. GET OFF OF IT!!!!!! lol.

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Tonight Atlanta and Tampa are Now OUT!

X-Terminator
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Great win by our Pens tonight 7-1 over the Devils! :thumbsup::banana: Two goals each by Geno (now has 102 points and is 4 behind Ovechkin) and Malone, 1 each by Sykora, Dupuis and Ruuuuuuutu. Fleury played well again in goal and our D was off the charts! A rare occurrence - Marty being replaced after the 4th goal. :jawdrop: Pens are now in first place in the division again and second place in the Conference as the damned Habs won in a SO. :dang:

Sens also lost to the Leafs 5-4. :thumbsup: We get a reprieve tomorrow and onto Nassau Coliseum on Monday night to play the Isles (without Rick DiPietro! :cheers:)

LETS GO PENS!

Well, if you've got any crow burgers, serve 'em up, because I didn't think we had a chance in hell of winning this game without Sid in the lineup. What an amazing performance, especially in the 3rd period scoring 5 goals and chasing Brodeur for the 10th time, the most by any team in his career. Very, very impressive win tonight against one of the best defensive teams in the league.

I really believe Geno has a legitimate shot at catching Ovechkin - he's behind by 4 points and has a game in hand. If he stays hot and AO has a couple of pointless games, you may be seeing Geno hoisting the Art Ross Trophy and maybe even the Hart. Stay tuned!

Hopefully the Pens saved a few of those goals for the Isles and Devils - I have a feeling they're going to need them. The very fact that a depleted Isles team without DiPietro beat the Devils in Jersey last night will hopefully keep the Pens from taking them lightly, and they'll take care of business. The game against the Devils will be a sure barn burner, and I'm looking forward to it. If tonight was the biggest game of the season, then that one is even bigger, because if the Pens win, they will own the tiebreaker edge, which is critical if they're to win the division.

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2008, 10:53 PM
UPDATED
1 Montreal 94-6
2 Pittsburgh 93-7
3 Carolina 87-6
4 New Jersey 91-7
5 Ottawa 89-7
6 N.Y. Rangers 88-7
7 Boston 84-7
8 Philadelphia 84-7
Still alive
9 Washington 82-6
10 Buffalo 81-7
11 Florida 81-6
12 Toronto 80-6
13 N.Y. Islanders 73-7

Montreal
Can Clicn a Playoff Birth with
a win in regulation OR
a Washington loss in regulation

Can Clinch Division
With a win in regulation and Ottawa loss in regulation

Pittsburgh
Can Clinch a Playoff Birth with
a win Monday
Islanders
OUT if they lose against Philly or Monday against Pittsburgh

Toronto
OUT if they lose 2 more and or Philly can win 2

Lord Stiller
03-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Congrats to Geno!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's keep it goin and take the #1 seed!!!! :tt02:

X-Terminator
03-22-2008, 11:29 PM
UPDATED
1 Montreal 94-6
2 Pittsburgh 93-7
3 Carolina 87-6
4 New Jersey 91-7
5 Ottawa 89-7
6 N.Y. Rangers 88-7
7 Boston 84-7
8 Philadelphia 84-7
Still alive
9 Washington 82-6
10 Buffalo 81-7
11 Florida 81-6
12 Toronto 80-6
13 N.Y. Islanders 73-7

Montreal
Can Clicn a Playoff Birth with
a win in regulation OR
a Washington loss in regulation

Can Clinch Division
With a win in regulation and Ottawa loss in regulation

Pittsburgh
a win Monday
Islanders
OUT if they lose against Philly or Monday against Pittsburgh

Toronto
OUT if they lose 2 more and or Philly can win 2

The bolded part can't be right, because Ottawa is only 5 points behind Montreal and has a game in hand, so they conceivably can still catch them even if Montreal wins their next game and Ottawa loses. All of the other scenarios are correct.

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2008, 11:31 PM
The bolded part can't be right, because Ottawa is only 5 points behind Montreal and has a game in hand, so they conceivably can still catch them even if Montreal wins their next game and Ottawa loses. All of the other scenarios are correct.

Actually that's true. What the heck was I thinking. :dang:

X-Terminator
03-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Actually that's true. What the heck was I thinking. :dang:

That's OK, it happens. Montreal's magic number for the division is actually 5, not 1, so they need 3 wins or 2 wins and one OT loss and 2 losses by Ottawa to clinch the division title. Also, Carolina clinches the SE Division title with 2 wins and 2 Washington losses. Ottawa is at Montreal on Monday and Washington is at Carolina on Tuesday, BTW.

SteelCityMan786
03-23-2008, 12:00 AM

That's OK, it happens. Montreal's magic number for the division is actually 5, not 1, so they need 3 wins or 2 wins and one OT loss and 2 losses by Ottawa to clinch the division title. Also, Carolina clinches the SE Division title with 2 wins and 2 Washington losses. Ottawa is at Montreal on Monday and Washington is at Carolina on Tuesday, BTW.

Yep, especially when trying to figure this stuff out at like 12:00 am. lol. :sofunny:

X-Terminator
03-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Ran across this today - Jonathan Roy, son of Patrick Roy, goes to town on another goalie during a line brawl in a QMJHL game between the Quebec Remparts (of whom Patrick Roy is head coach) and the Chicoutimi Saguinettes. Like father, like son...

Warning - audio is in French.

V300TvmWuxU

Here's Daddy in a couple of scraps - first, vs. Mike Vernon:

sohTfVIhiSE

And vs. Chris Osgood:

kl2xMXXOw4M

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Patrick Roy's son looks like a punk to me. I'm all for goalie fights but the opposing goalie didn't want to fight at all

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
man, i am stoked for tonight's game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if we can win tonight and tomorrow, we will be sitting pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

espn is reporting that Crsoby might play tonight: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3307988

I think he should wait untill tomorrow because it is a much more important game (Jersey) and it would give ua someone with fresh legs when a lot of the other players will be tired from playing back to back nights

HometownGal
03-24-2008, 01:04 PM
espn is reporting that Crsoby might play tonight: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3307988

I think he should wait untill tomorrow because it is a much more important game (Jersey) and it would give ua someone with fresh legs when a lot of the other players will be tired from playing back to back nights

I agree, LS. I also believe Sid should give it one more night before returning to full action. Tonight's game is important in its own respect, but tomorrow night's game against the Devs in NJ is a HUGE game. They're going to come out rarin' to go after the ass whoopin' the Pens gave 'em on Saturday night! :cheers:

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
update for tonight: http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/08084/867602-100.stm

Conklin is starting (Fleury tomorrow)

Corsby will not play

Dupuis will not play (with wife expecting baby, guess he misses tomorrow too)

Scuderi is back and we will dress 7 defensemen and only 11 forwards (Malkin, Malone, Sykora, Hossa, Staal, Talbot, Kennedy, Ruutu, Taffe, Laraque, Minard)

hopefully with 7 dmen, Sydor gets very little action

The Duke
03-24-2008, 03:54 PM
smart decision to keep crosby out. Let's have him at full strength for later on

They're going to come out rarin' to go after the ass whoopin' the Pens gave 'em on Saturday night!

yep, they are, and the pens better be ready

I smell something good being cooked for the playoffs!

X-Terminator
03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I agree, LS. I also believe Sid should give it one more night before returning to full action. Tonight's game is important in its own respect, but tomorrow night's game against the Devs in NJ is a HUGE game. They're going to come out rarin' to go after the ass whoopin' the Pens gave 'em on Saturday night! :cheers:

And because of the NJ game tomorrow, this game has "T-R-A-P" written all over it, especially with Crosby AND Dupuis out of the lineup. We have a chance to go up 4 on the Devils, put some distance between us and the Rangers and claim the top seed in the conference if Ottawa beats Montreal. Seems that every other time we've had that opportunity, we've fallen flat, so hopefully with the depleted lineup, we'll be able to squeak out a win. I'm expecting a tight, low-scoring, nail-biter of a game.

HometownGal
03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
And because of the NJ game tomorrow, this game has "T-R-A-P" written all over it, especially with Crosby AND Dupuis out of the lineup. We have a chance to go up 4 on the Devils, put some distance between us and the Rangers and claim the top seed in the conference if Ottawa beats Montreal.

I deleted everything after the word "Montreal" when quoting your post. I don't want to hear negatives. :flap:

As this team has done since Crosby's injury, I believe they will step up and get 'r done. Dupuis has become very instrumental in that lineup, but I believe we still have strong enough of a core to do what we have to do.

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
And because of the NJ game tomorrow, this game has "T-R-A-P" written all over it, especially with Crosby AND Dupuis out of the lineup. We have a chance to go up 4 on the Devils, put some distance between us and the Rangers and claim the top seed in the conference if Ottawa beats Montreal. Seems that every other time we've had that opportunity, we've fallen flat, so hopefully with the depleted lineup, we'll be able to squeak out a win. I'm expecting a tight, low-scoring, nail-biter of a game.

Without a doubt. They have proven they can win without some of the bigger tools in the lesser games. If we can get Crosby going tomorrow, and the Pens win tonight AND tomorrow, the Penguins will be up by 6 points going into Thursday Night's game at home against the Islanders.

To end the season the Penguins have The Islanders Tonight, @ the Devils tomorrow, home to the islanders Thursday, Rangers at home Sunday, at the Rangers on Monday, home to Philly Apr. 2, at Philly Apr. 6 to wrap up the season. These are Very Critical games and if the Penguins can take the bulk of them, they could avoid having to play Ottawa, New Jersey, and Montreal possibly till the 2nd Round OR even the Conference Championship.

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Well I guess it's time for FACEOFF!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Pitiful Start by the Penguins Tonight. No Doubt.

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Richard Park is a penguin killer

bad sh goal given up by Conklin

Pens down 0-1

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Sykora with a SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tied up 1-1

Lord Stiller
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
omg, this game is awesome!

Talbot just LEVELED somebody!!!!!

X-Terminator
03-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I deleted everything after the word "Montreal" when quoting your post. I don't want to hear negatives. :flap:

As this team has done since Crosby's injury, I believe they will step up and get 'r done. Dupuis has become very instrumental in that lineup, but I believe we still have strong enough of a core to do what we have to do.

Well even though you deleted that part, it turns out that I was absolutely correct...again. Beat the hell out of NJ and then they can't beat the friggin Islanders. This is the thing that pisses me off about this team. How can you NOT beat a pathetic Islanders team even with Crosby and Dupuis out??? Do they want to win the damn division or don't they??? And to make matters worse, Montreal is leading Ottawa 3-0 after 2, so they're going to be 3 points ahead of us for the top seed in the conference. Ridiculous.

EDIT - make it 6-1 Montreal over Ottawa. Talk about a team that's red hot. Looks like THEY can keep winning...

X-Terminator
03-24-2008, 09:17 PM
4-1 Isles.

PATHETIC.

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
This game was just a pathetic night. Let's forget it and get ready for them Devils. :cheers:

X-Terminator
03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
This game was just a pathetic night. Let's forget it and get ready for them Devils. :cheers:

And if they play like they did tonight, they'll lose that one too. Let's face it, the Pens just cannot beat division teams on the road, and if they can't find a way to do it, they will not win the division. There is NO EXCUSE for losing to the Islanders. NONE.

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
And if they play like they did tonight, they'll lose that one too. Let's face it, the Pens just cannot beat division teams on the road, and if they can't find a way to do it, they will not win the division. There is NO EXCUSE for losing to the Islanders. NONE.

I could not agree more. No reason they lose games like this. I hope Coach T gives them a piece of his mind before they leave for Newark. Right now for me the Penguins MUST win at least 4 or 5 of the final games.

HometownGal
03-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Well even though you deleted that part, it turns out that I was absolutely correct...again. Beat the hell out of NJ and then they can't beat the friggin Islanders. This is the thing that pisses me off about this team. How can you NOT beat a pathetic Islanders team even with Crosby and Dupuis out??? Do they want to win the damn division or don't they??? And to make matters worse, Montreal is leading Ottawa 3-0 after 2, so they're going to be 3 points ahead of us for the top seed in the conference. Ridiculous.

EDIT - make it 6-1 Montreal over Ottawa. Talk about a team that's red hot. Looks like THEY can keep winning...

Bravo. Here's your cookie. :cookie: You can take the word "again" out of your post, as you've had to chew on that crowburger more often than not.

Though I am disappointed in tonight's loss, being the realist I am, I didn't believe they were going to be perfect going down the stretch. I hoped they would win tonight and I believed they could, but they didn't, so I move on to tomorrow night's game in NJ and get behind them for the W instead of crying over tonight's L. No they didn't play well as a team, and I give all the credit in the world to the Isles and particularly Dubielewicz who was outstanding in the net.

EDIT: Final score Habs 7, Sens 5. THEY almost blew the game.

X-Terminator
03-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Bravo. Here's your cookie. :cookie: You can take the word "again" out of your post, as you've had to chew on that crowburger more often than not.

Though I am disappointed in tonight's loss, being the realist I am, I didn't believe they were going to be perfect going down the stretch. I hoped they would win tonight and I believed they could, but they didn't, so I move on to tomorrow night's game in NJ and get behind them for the W instead of crying over tonight's L. No they didn't play well as a team, and I give all the credit in the world to the Isles and particularly Dubielewicz who was outstanding in the net.

EDIT: Final score Habs 7, Sens 5. THEY almost blew the game.

Sorry, but as I said above, there is absolutely no excuse for losing to the Isles. Period. If they're supposed to be a playoff team and want to win the division, you DO NOT lose to a team like that, especially within your own division. It doesn't matter how well Dublielewicz played, good teams find ways to win, plain and simple.

They had better bring their A game tonight, because if they don't beat NJ, they can forget about the division. I'm sick to death of seeing them lose game after game after game on the road to division opponents. They may have to play a division opponent in the first round playoffs - how the hell can I expect them to win the series if they can't beat them on the road?

One more thing - for the love of all that's holy, Michel Therrien, NO MORE DAYS OFF. Get the boys in practice, work them and keep them focused. There's no reason why the team should have ANY lackluster performances at this point in the season.

X-Terminator
03-25-2008, 01:24 AM
And speaking of Therrien, he obviously wasn't pleased with the team's performance either and had this to say, which pretty much sums up how I feel about last night's game:

"It was an emotional game last game. Maybe that was one of the reasons why we were flat. It's unacceptable. Excuses are for losers."

For the rest of the story, click here: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Recap&gameNumber=1136&season=20072008&gameType=2

Lord Stiller
03-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Everytime we dress 7 defensemen we lose

stop it!

Scuderi played well last night in his first game back.

SteelCityMan786
03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
1 Less Defensemen tonight, ok Coach T?

HometownGal
03-25-2008, 05:54 PM
1 Less Defensemen tonight, ok Coach T?

I'm OK with one less D'man tonight, Matt. Hopefully Coach T gave them all a huge kick in the arse at practice today. :buttkick:

X-Terminator
03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
No Sid or Dupuis again tonight. Biggest game of the year and we're going into it without our best player again. Just friggin great. :dang: I know, I know, we want Sid to be healthy come playoff time, but this is getting really frustrating seeing him up in the owner's box.

Connor James has been recalled from WBS, but Therrien has said he may go with 7 D again. Well Mike, that didn't work out too well for you last night, did it?

Crosby may return to Penguins' lineup Thursday
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 25, 2008

NEWARK, N.J. -- Following a lengthy and trying morning practice session, captain Sidney Crosby said he may return to the Penguins' lineup Thursday for a game against the New York Islanders at Mellon Arena.

"That's definitely a possibility," Crosby said. "As long as everything goes well, I'd definitely like to play that game."

Crosby will miss his seventh consecutive game against the New Jersey Devils at Prudential Center tonight. He has missed 28 of the past 31 games due to a high right ankle sprain.

The Penguins 43-26-7 with 93 points, can move four points ahead of the Devils in the Atlantic Division with a regulation win tonight. New Jersey would move into an advantageous tiebreaker position with a regulation victory.

The Penguins will again play without forward Pascal Dupuis, who remains in Atlanta with family after the birth of his son Monday. Forward Connor James was recalled from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL and could play tonight, though coach Michel Therrien left open the possibility that he will again dress seven defensemen and only 11 forwards.

Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury will start tonight.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_558955.html

Lord Stiller
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Minard is out with a groin pull

Ryan Whitney is playing LW on the 4th line

Good first period, gotta keep it up!

The Duke
03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
hossa with the score!!

great team play tonight. and another shutout for fleury!

correct me if I'm wrong, but they clinch the playoff spot tonight right ?

SteelCityMan786
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
And the Penguins win 2-0. Nice work guys. WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!

You doubting don's have anything else to say? :rofl:

HometownGal
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
And the Penguins win 2-0. Nice work guys. WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!

You doubting don's have anything else to say? :rofl:

WOO HOOOOOO! :banana: What a great game by our D and especially The Flower. :thumbsup: I was so impressed by their tenacity and their determination to win that game in enemy territory. Great job Pens and congrats on sole possession of 1st place in the Atlantic and a playoff berth! :cheers:

I am more and more impressed with Hal Gill each and every game. He has really come on strong in every aspect of his game.

AMEN Matt - I was thinking the exact same thing. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

HometownGal
03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
The Dirty Rags lose to the Flyers in OT 2-1. :toofunny::point: Sens win in Buffalo 6-3.

SteelCityMan786
03-25-2008, 10:55 PM
The Dirty Rags lose to the Flyers in OT 2-1. :toofunny::point: Sens win in Buffalo 6-3.

Eventually I think the Rags might be number 7.

SteelCityMan786
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm OK with one less D'man tonight, Matt. Hopefully Coach T gave them all a huge kick in the arse at practice today. :buttkick:

It paid off tonight. :cheers:

X-Terminator
03-26-2008, 01:21 AM
WOO HOOOOOO! :banana: What a great game by our D and especially The Flower. :thumbsup: I was so impressed by their tenacity and their determination to win that game in enemy territory. Great job Pens and congrats on sole possession of 1st place in the Atlantic and a playoff berth! :cheers:

I am more and more impressed with Hal Gill each and every game. He has really come on strong in every aspect of his game.

AMEN Matt - I was thinking the exact same thing. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Now you see what happens when the team puts out maximum effort for 60 minutes? They got the job done, and in truly impressive fashion. That is why I was so angry with them last night, because I knew they could play better than that - it's not being a "doubting Don". Mailed-in efforts like last night's game simply cannot be tolerated at this stage of the season. If they had played last night the way they did tonight, there's no doubt in my mind they'd have beaten the Isles.

Hal Gill definitely has been solid over the past couple of weeks - he and Kris Letang work very well together and they arguably have been our best D pairing over that span. He has done everything the Pens had hoped when they brought him here - blocking shots, being physical in the corners (though I think he could be a little more aggressive there) and clearing the front of the net. It must have rubbed off on the rest of the guys, because they did an outstanding job of clearing the net and clearing rebounds away from Fleury. Of course, Fleury himself was terrific, making several tough, key saves when they were needed. They basically out-Deviled the Devils tonight.

Now that they've clinched a playoff berth, they may as well go ahead and win the division. But first, let's hope they extract a little revenge on the Isles on Thursday night and give them the beating they should have gotten last night.

EDIT: Not only did the Sabres lose, they gave up 5 goals in the final 7:40 of the game after being ahead 3-1! :toofunny:

Lord Stiller
03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
All of our trade acquisitions have been really impressive

After a rocky start, Hal Gill has been really solid especially on PK

Dupuis is a hustle guy who can actually score

Hossa hasn't lit up the scoreboard but has played well back-checking and handling the puck

SteelCityMan786
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
All of our trade acquisitions have been really impressive

After a rocky start, Hal Gill has been really solid especially on PK

Dupuis is a hustle guy who can actually score

Hossa hasn't lit up the scoreboard but has played well back-checking and handling the puck

Also has been very healthy as of late.

HometownGal
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Sid will be in the lineup tomorrow night against the Isles! :banana::thumbsup:

Looks like Whitney has been "demoted" (per se) to left wing. He played pretty well in that position last night against the Devs, so technically, we'll be going with 6 d'men.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/breaking/s_559157.html

Crosby's back, Whitney's still at left wing
By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney will continue to wing it, at least for the time being.

"I'm not playing 'D' any more right now," Whitney announced after an optional practice this afternoon. "I just gotta keep trying to improve, keep a good attitude and wherever I play, play as hard as I can.

"If I get a chance to play 'D' again I'll be ready."

Head coach Michel Therrien was unavailable for comment.

Whitney played left wing in the Penguins' 2-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night.

He remained one of the point men on the top power-play unit and assisted on Ryan Malone's power-play goal in the first period.

Whitney signed a six-year, $24 million contract prior to becoming a restricted free agent last offseason.

Sidney Crosby will play his normal center position when he returns to the ice following a seven-game absence when the Pens host the Islanders on Thursday night.

"Yep, I'm playing," Crosby said. "My ankle feels great and the conditioning is as good as it can get without playing. I feel good."

Crosby suffered a high-ankle sprain on Jan. 18 and missed 21 games, returned for three and then left the lineup again prior to the Penguins' 7-3 win over Buffalo on March 12.

The Penguins are 16-8-4 without Crosby in the lineup.

Whitney played 11:29 against the Devils, 2:54 on the power play and 8:35 at even strength.

He's averaging 22:44 of ice time a game this season.

The Penguins' blueline became crowded when Rob Scuderi returned after an 11-game absence due to a fractured finger on Monday night against the Islanders. Whitney cited some perceived "inconsistencies" as the reason for his becoming the odd man out on defense.

"That's my assessment and the coach's assessment," Whitney said.

Whitney said it's up to Therrien as to when a switch back to defense is made. "When he wants me to play 'D' again I'll play 'D' and I'll try as hard as I can," Whitney said. "I don't know when that will be."

"I'm not thrilled playing forward but to win that game (on Tuesday night), it was awesome. It was a great feeling in the locker room and I was a part of it. It's still nice to be playing and clinch a playoff spot and be in first place. "I'm frustrated but I'm not going to let that stop my effort and enthusiasm. It's kinda on me to play better. I'm just going to battle through it."

SteelCityMan786
03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
All you who are attending tomorrow's game might be soon on the big screen. Or at least heard. I wonder what Mellon Arena has in it for its latest film that it will be a part of.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=358173

Hollywood at Mellon Arena
Mar 26, 2008, 10:37 AM EDT
The Penguins aren’t going Hollywood … but Hollywood is coming to a Penguins game at Mellon Arena.

The Dreamworks SKG studio will be shooting a scene for its newest romantic comedy, “She’s Out of My League” during the Penguins-Islanders game Thursday night.

The two main characters in the script are Penguins fans, and the lead actors will be attending the game in Penguins gear for crowd shots with actual hockey action in the background. They will come back next week to an empty arena to shoot the dialogue scenes.

Starring Alice Eve (“Starter for 10”) and Jay Baruchel (“Knocked Up” and “Tropic Thunder”), the movie centers on an average guy who works at the airport and becomes involved with a gorgeous girl who is “out of his league.”

Co-executive producer is Jimmy Miller, a Castle Shannon native and a graduate of Keystone Oaks High School and Point Park College. Miller, who once worked as an usher at the Civic Arena during his college years, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that shooting a scene at the old arena before it is torn down “will definitely be the highlight of my career.”

Miller, who continues to be a Penguins season ticket holder despite living in Los Angeles, is a partner in the Mosaic Media Group and works closely with megastars such as Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell. Miller credits his brother Dennis, the famous comedian, with getting him interested in hockey back in the 1970s.

The Dreamworks SKG crew will be shooting the film in Pittsburgh through May 24. No release date has been set.

Lord Stiller
03-26-2008, 11:13 PM
With Crosby and Dupuis back tomorow, i find it very weird to leave Whitney at wing on the 4th line. I think Whitney should stay on D and Sydor should be benched. Maybe they are planning on benching Laraque, he has been god awful

HometownGal
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
With Crosby and Dupuis back tomorow, i find it very weird to leave Whitney at wing on the 4th line. I think Whitney should stay on D and Sydor should be benched. Maybe they are planning on benching Laraque, he has been god awful

Therrien is sending a message to Whitney, LS. He hasn't been playing very well at D lately and has been caught out of position quite a bit. This just hasn't been a good season for him imho.

As for Laraque - I think he played a solid game last night, though he didn't punk any of the Devs. :sofunny: He made a couple of nice hits and battled for that puck like he normally does along the boards. I don't see him being in a Pens uni next season, unfortunately, but if they don't re-sign him, Shero had best be shopping around for another enforcer.

X-Terminator
03-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Therrien is sending a message to Whitney, LS. He hasn't been playing very well at D lately and has been caught out of position quite a bit. This just hasn't been a good season for him imho.

As for Laraque - I think he played a solid game last night, though he didn't punk any of the Devs. :sofunny: He made a couple of nice hits and battled for that puck like he normally does along the boards. I don't see him being in a Pens uni next season, unfortunately, but if they don't re-sign him, Shero had best be shopping around for another enforcer.

Exactly right. Somewhere along the line, Whitney forgot why there's a "D" next to his name. He's softer than a bed of cotton balls for a guy who's 6'4" and 220 lbs; he gets caught out of position A LOT, he doesn't move his feet to establish body position and refuses to clear the front of the net. Seeing him allow Martin Straka to skate right by him to get the puck without so much as a stride in his direction sealed it for me. Maybe while playing forward, he'll finally learn what a "body check" is.

I don't see Laraque coming back either, quite frankly. Yes, just having him in the lineup every night has deterred teams from taking liberties with our stars, but he hasn't played well (up until Tuesday) and he isn't aggressive enough for my liking. If they do let him go, they should immediately go out and sign Jody Shelley from the Sharks. I believe he will be a FA and would be a perfect fit for the Pens. He's everything you want in an enforcer, and can play the game a bit, too. Plus, he'd come cheaper than Laraque would. If not, we have a guy named Aaron Boogaard in our organization who is the little brother of Minnesota's monster enforcer Derek Boogaard. Give him a shot in camp if they don't bring in anyone else, but under no circumstances should the Pens ever play without an enforcer.

HometownGal
03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
The moment we've all been waiting for happens tonight at 7:30 PM in da Burgh! Pascal Dupuis will return to the lineup tonight, as well! :cheers::banana: Tonight's game can't get here fast enough for me!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_559230.html

Pens' Crosby eager to join new linemates
By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sidney Crosby said Wednesday he's been given no official word on how the power play will be handled or who will be his linemates tonight against the New York Islanders.

But Crosby is anticipating playing with Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis.

And the Penguins' captain is eager to finally get a chance to play with Hossa.

"He's a great player," Crosby said. "I don't know if you guys (in the media) understand how good he really is. It's not hard to play with a guy like that at all. You get him the puck, he's going to make something happen, a lot of times when there's not much there.

"He's not afraid to go into traffic areas; he backchecks a lot. It's easy to play with a guy who's that complete. I don't think we're going to have to talk about it too much."
Crosby missed 21 games after suffering a high-ankle sprain Jan. 18 against Tampa Bay.

By the time he returned March 4 at Tampa, Hossa had been acquired and then injured.

Crosby left the lineup again on March 12. Hossa returned on March 16.

"I was in bad shape when I came back in Tampa," Crosby said. "I'm used to playing 20 minutes (game) and not having to miss too many shifts. In Tampa and (on March 6 in) Florida, I missed a couple. I felt pretty good (on March 9) in Washington, especially for that game, the amount of hits and how physical it was."

Crosby registered two goals and two assists in three games in his initial comeback attempt.

"I hope to be a little bit quicker than before," he said. "It's going to be more physical hockey, but I expect it to come a little bit faster. I feel strong. I feel a lot better than I did coming back the first time, a lot more confident. That's big."

Lord Stiller
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah Whitney has played bad, i just thought Sydor has been worse.

Tonight's lineup?:

Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Dupuis - Crosby - Hossa
Ruutu - Staal - Kennedy
Whitney - Talbot - Taffe

this is why i mentioned benching Laraque, if Whitney plays LW they gotta lose somebody. I guess its either Laraque or Taffe

X-Terminator
03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah Whitney has played bad, i just thought Sydor has been worse.

Tonight's lineup?:

Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Dupuis - Crosby - Hossa
Ruutu - Staal - Kennedy
Whitney - Talbot - Taffe

this is why i mentioned benching Laraque, if Whitney plays LW they gotta lose somebody. I guess its either Laraque or Taffe

Jeff Taffe likely sits tonight and Laraque will not be benched, especially since the Isles will likely dress Rob Davison, their enforcer. The real big decision will come when Gary Roberts comes back. There's going to be one very unhappy camper, and if I were Laraque, I'd definitely be looking over my shoulder then.

SteelCityMan786
03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
The moment we've all been waiting for happens tonight at 7:30 PM in da Burgh! Pascal Dupuis will return to the lineup tonight, as well! :cheers::banana: Tonight's game can't get here fast enough for me!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_559230.html

Pens' Crosby eager to join new linemates
By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sidney Crosby said Wednesday he's been given no official word on how the power play will be handled or who will be his linemates tonight against the New York Islanders.

But Crosby is anticipating playing with Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis.

And the Penguins' captain is eager to finally get a chance to play with Hossa.

"He's a great player," Crosby said. "I don't know if you guys (in the media) understand how good he really is. It's not hard to play with a guy like that at all. You get him the puck, he's going to make something happen, a lot of times when there's not much there.

"He's not afraid to go into traffic areas; he backchecks a lot. It's easy to play with a guy who's that complete. I don't think we're going to have to talk about it too much."
Crosby missed 21 games after suffering a high-ankle sprain Jan. 18 against Tampa Bay.

By the time he returned March 4 at Tampa, Hossa had been acquired and then injured.

Crosby left the lineup again on March 12. Hossa returned on March 16.

"I was in bad shape when I came back in Tampa," Crosby said. "I'm used to playing 20 minutes (game) and not having to miss too many shifts. In Tampa and (on March 6 in) Florida, I missed a couple. I felt pretty good (on March 9) in Washington, especially for that game, the amount of hits and how physical it was."

Crosby registered two goals and two assists in three games in his initial comeback attempt.

"I hope to be a little bit quicker than before," he said. "It's going to be more physical hockey, but I expect it to come a little bit faster. I feel strong. I feel a lot better than I did coming back the first time, a lot more confident. That's big."

I honestly think that Crosby and Hossa will score a goal each and assist each other on said goals.

HometownGal
03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Pens play another awesome game tonight, winning 3-1 at Mellon Arena against the dirty Islanders. :cheers: Fleury was great in goal again and we got 2 goals from our 4th line forwards - Ruuuuuuutu and Laraque with Malkin scoring the Pens first goal. 3 pt. night for Jarkko - congrats! Hal Gill had yet another excellent defensive game - he's really showing himself to be quite an asset to our D corps.

I never realized the Isles were such cheap-shot artists. Hossa was hurt twice by dirty play and on the second hit, he was blindsided from behind with a cheap elbow to the back of the head. If anyone has an update on his injury, please post it.

Pens are now 6 points in the lead atop the Atlantic Division and 1st place in the Conference once again! 5 games to go - bring on the Rags Sunday afternoon! :banana:

LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
03-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Updated Eastern Conference Playoff Standings
1 x-Pittsburgh 97-4
2 x-Montreal 96-5
3 Carolina 88-5
4 Ottawa 92-4
5 New Jersey 91-5
6 N.Y. Rangers 91-5
7 Boston 88-5
8 Philadelphia 88-5
Still alive
9 Washington 86-4
10 Buffalo 83-5
11 Florida 81-4
*NOTE:Toronto, NY Islanders, Atlanta, Tampa Bay are eliminated from playoff contention.
x-Clinched Playoff Birth

Clinching Scenarios:
Pittsburgh:
Can Clinch the Atlantic Division with
1.) A win
2.) A Regulation New Jersey Devils Loss

Montreal:
Can Clinch Northeast Division with:
1.)A win and a Regulation Ottawa Loss.

Ottawa:
Can Clinch a Playoff Birth with:
1.) A win
2.) A Washington Regulation Loss

New Jersey:
Can Clinch Playoff Birth with:
1.) 2 Wins
2.) 1 Win and 1 Loss in Regulation by Washington

X-Terminator
03-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Pens play another awesome game tonight, winning 3-1 at Mellon Arena against the dirty Islanders. :cheers: Fleury was great in goal again and we got 2 goals from our 4th line forwards - Ruuuuuuutu and Laraque with Malkin scoring the Pens first goal. 3 pt. night for Jarkko - congrats! Hal Gill had yet another excellent defensive game - he's really showing himself to be quite an asset to our D corps.

I never realized the Isles were such cheap-shot artists. Hossa was hurt twice by dirty play and on the second hit, he was blindsided from behind with a cheap elbow to the back of the head. If anyone has an update on his injury, please post it.

Pens are now 6 points in the lead atop the Atlantic Division and 1st place in the Conference once again! 5 games to go - bring on the Rags Sunday afternoon! :banana:

LETS GO PENS!

I missed the first half of the game (karate), but I saw the replay of the Davison hit - open-ice low checks like that are about as dirty as it gets. The point is to get the guy on the hip, not on the knee, and Davison got Hossa right on the knee he injured. If there is ever a case for the instigator rule being eliminated, that is it, because at some point he should have been forced into a fight over that. But a player can't do that nowadays because they'd sit for 17 minutes when all they were doing was the honorable thing and sticking up for his teammate, so his hands are tied. The second hit by Bergenheim I felt was inadvertent - he saw that Hossa had his back turned and he tried to move out of the way, but he did it way too late and ended up catching him with his elbow to the back of his head. I don't think he really meant to hurt him. But what really pissed me off was the fact that there was no call for interference on that hit - I mean, it was clear as day! The puck was nowhere near Hossa when Bergenheim hit him - how does that get missed? But yet, they are quick to blow that whistle over ticky-tack fouls. NHL refs are so damn inconsistent anymore...it's gotten to be ridiculous. At any rate, I read in the Trib's post-game story that Hossa was walking around the locker room after the game, so he's going to be fine, though it didn't say anything about his status for Sunday. I think he just got his bell rung and the team took him out of the game as a precaution, but he should be good to go - at least I hope.

Anyway, it was a nice win and nice to see Ruutu and Laraque take care of the offense tonight when the big guns couldn't produce. That, to me, is a good sign because guys like that can make a huge difference in the playoffs and win you championships. If you think back to the Cup teams, it wasn't all about Lemieux, Francis, Cullen, and Stevens, but also the 3rd and 4th liners like Phil Bourque, Troy Loney and an aging but still quite effective Bryan Trottier paid big roles in those championships. And from the 28 minutes that I did see, the defense again was outstanding, especially Gill and Scuderi. I wanted to run Gill out of town before he even took the ice for the first time after the trade, but he has officially won me over with his recent play. He has been very, very good. And what else can be said about Fleury? Other than the one game against the Panthers 3 weeks ago, he has been as solid as a rock in between the pipes, making key saves when needed. I didn't support the decision to start him over Conklin, but how can you not ride him now that he's playing so well? Here's hoping he can keep it up - we need him to be solid if we're to have any success in the playoffs. Also, congratulations to Petr Sykora for picking up the first fighting major of his career. I hear it wasn't much to write home about, but it still counts!

If New Jersey loses to the Flyers in regulation tomorrow night, then it will all come down to Sunday. One game to paydirt. Win, and we're division champs for the first time in 10 years. Who would have thought we'd be in this position after Sid went down in January? Certainly not me!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!

X-Terminator
03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
For the second time in 6 weeks, another player gets his throat cut by a skate - this time, it was Lightning defenseman Dan Boyle last night against the Caps. Apparently it happened while he was defending on the Caps' OT game winner. You can read the story here: http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/boyle-cut-on-his-throat/

BTW, you can watch the highlights of that goal on NHL.com and can see where Boyle got his throat cut. Scary stuff, but at least he's going to be OK. Poor guy has had bad luck with skates this year - he severed tendons in his wrist in the preseason when his skates fell off their hook and cut him, and he missed almost half the season.

SteelCityMan786
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I bet you the league looks into placing some sort of padding change for the throat or having something created to help players protect it.

Dynasty
03-28-2008, 09:47 PM
i was at that game (islanders), sitting close up, and man, was it a great one to see. i know there are less fights since the lockout, but if you were judging by that game, not really. at least 2 all-out brawls with more than one fight at a time, as well as several other single fights. a lot of roughing too. very exciting game. i liked seeing Jarkko and Laraque score, as well. that wraparound was beautiful!

glad to see we are gonna be able to clinch the division soon. here's hoping fleury stays hot into the playoffs, cause when you are riding a goalie on a streak, you can go FAR.

SteelCityMan786
03-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Updated Eastern Conference Standings
1 x-Montreal 98-4
2 x-Pittsburgh 97-4
3 Carolina 90-4
4 New Jersey 93-4
5 Ottawa 92-4
6 N.Y. Rangers 91-5
7 Philadelphia 89-4
8 Boston 88-5
Still alive
9 Washington 86-4
10 Buffalo 84-4
11 Florida 81-4
Clinching/Elimination Scencarios
Florida
is OUT of playoff contention with
1.) A loss
2.) A Boston Win and Philadelphia Win.
The Panthers with 1 loss can finish with 87 points at best and if Boston wins and Philly wins Florida can only get up to 89 points total.

NY Rangers
1.) 2 Wins
2.) A Win and Washington Loss

Montreal
Can Clinch the Northeast Division with:
1.) A win and an Ottawa Loss
2.) 2 Wins
3.) Combination of 3 out 4 points during two games and at least 1 ottawa loss

Pittsburgh
1.) A win
2.) 2 Wins
3.) A Combo of 3 out of 4 points in the next 2 games and a New Jersey Loss
The Pens would be up to 100 and the Devils are still at 93. If the Pens are up to 100 and the Devils are up to 93 with 3 games left, they will NOT be able to pick up enough points

HometownGal
03-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Looks like Hoss will be good to go for Sunday's game against the Rags! :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08089/869032-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Hossa is expected to practice today; injury a mystery

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Details of the "upper-body injury" that forced right winger Marian Hossa to leave the Penguins' 3-1 victory against the New York Islanders at Mellon Arena Thursday night remain a mystery.

Hossa's prognosis, however, seems to be coming into focus.

And it's encouraging for the Penguins.

Hossa, who was injured when hit from behind by New York's Sean Bergenheim while Hossa was gliding backward during the third period, is expected to join his teammates for practice today.

"Marian appears to be OK," general manager Ray Shero said. "Knock on wood."

Barring a setback, Hossa presumably will be available when the New York Rangers visit Mellon Arena at 12:38 p.m. tomorrow.

And in other news, Fagomir may be leaving the NHL next season. :banana: I'll have to boo extra loud tomorrow at the game.

Jagr eyes return to Russia

The New York Daily News reported that Rangers winger Jaromir Jagr, a former Penguin, will meet with Anatoly Bardin, new general manager of Avangard Omsk in the Russian Super League, next week to discuss a possible return to that team next season.

Jagr, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, played for Omsk during the NHL lockout three years ago.

"He can come, it's no problem," Jagr said.

"We'll see what happens. I'm going to meet with them, for sure."

While Bardin is in New York, he and Rangers general manager Glen Sather are expected to discuss a transfer fee that would allow forward Alexei Cherepanov, the Rangers' first-round draft choice in June, to play in North America next season rather than completing the final year of his Super League contract.

X-Terminator
03-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Pittsburgh

2.) 2 Wins

Let's go with that, so that we'll have the division wrapped up before the Devils take the ice again on Tuesday night.

Oh, and thanks Philly for icing a team that SUCKS, otherwise we'd have only needed to win tomorrow.

Looks like Hoss will be good to go for Sunday's game against the Rags! :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08089/869032-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Hossa is expected to practice today; injury a mystery

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Details of the "upper-body injury" that forced right winger Marian Hossa to leave the Penguins' 3-1 victory against the New York Islanders at Mellon Arena Thursday night remain a mystery.

Hossa's prognosis, however, seems to be coming into focus.

And it's encouraging for the Penguins.

Hossa, who was injured when hit from behind by New York's Sean Bergenheim while Hossa was gliding backward during the third period, is expected to join his teammates for practice today.

"Marian appears to be OK," general manager Ray Shero said. "Knock on wood."

Barring a setback, Hossa presumably will be available when the New York Rangers visit Mellon Arena at 12:38 p.m. tomorrow.

Great news! :banana: So now I'll finally get to see Sid and Hoss take the ice together tomorrow. It sucks that it took until our final game of the season before we get that chance.

And in other news, Fagomir may be leaving the NHL next season. :banana: I'll have to boo extra loud tomorrow at the game.

Jagr eyes return to Russia

The New York Daily News reported that Rangers winger Jaromir Jagr, a former Penguin, will meet with Anatoly Bardin, new general manager of Avangard Omsk in the Russian Super League, next week to discuss a possible return to that team next season.

Jagr, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, played for Omsk during the NHL lockout three years ago.

"He can come, it's no problem," Jagr said.

"We'll see what happens. I'm going to meet with them, for sure."

While Bardin is in New York, he and Rangers general manager Glen Sather are expected to discuss a transfer fee that would allow forward Alexei Cherepanov, the Rangers' first-round draft choice in June, to play in North America next season rather than completing the final year of his Super League contract.

Let me be the first to give him a proper send-off:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Buh-bye Fagomir! Don't let the door hit you on your big, fat ass on your way out! :wave:

SteelCityMan786
03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Let's go with that, so that we'll have the division wrapped up before the Devils take the ice again on Tuesday night.

Oh, and thanks Philly for icing a team that SUCKS, otherwise we'd have only needed to win tomorrow.

Never Trust a Flyer to do a man's job.

Great news! :banana: So now I'll finally get to see Sid and Hoss take the ice together tomorrow. It sucks that it took until our final game of the season before we get that chance.

We got 4 more after this one. I prefer we win the next 2 and take about 7 out of 8 especially if necessary to clinch the top seed.

Buh-bye Fagomir! Don't let the door hit you on your big, fat ass on your way out! :wave:

I'll be giving him the bird through my television. lol.

HometownGal
03-29-2008, 01:53 PM

I get first dibs on giving Fagomir his proper send-off: :upyours: I have no respect for that jagoff. Never have, never will. He's Baby Huey on skates.

Rest that voice tonight - you're going to need it tomorrow! We'll be leading the "Go Home Jagr" cheer in our section with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd! :banana: And find that cowbell - I'll be bringing mine as usual!

WTH is up with the Sabes having a 3-1 lead in the 3rd against the Habs and blowing it in OT?? :jawdrop: Damn them.

BettisFan
03-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Just found out that while my dad is in the burgh looking for a house he was talking with my uncle and they are thinking of getting season tickets to Penguins games. Thats really tight, i hope it goes through.

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I just turned on NBC and i am getting the Pens game here in H-Town! This is great!

Edman
03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Pens score!

2-1 over the Rangers!

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 01:23 PM
end of the first pens up 2-1

Big7BenHOF
03-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I just turned on NBC and i am getting the Pens game here in H-Town! This is great!

Yeah, the game is nationally broadcasted.

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, the game is nationally broadcasted.

oh Really? :yap: yea lol i wouldnt get it other wise, its tight this happens rarely so i am taking advantage!

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
PENS JUST WON 3-1!! NOW ARE THE EASTERN CONFERENCE LEADERS!!!!

Edman
03-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Number 1 in the Eastern Conference! Great job, Penguins!

:cheers:

X-Terminator
03-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Another solid, team defensive effort and win for the Pens today. They are playing playoff hockey, playing it well and playing it at the right time. If they carry this kind of defensive play over to the playoffs, with all of the firepower they have, they can make a nice, deep run.

Well, this is it folks. The Pens get a win tomorrow night in MSG, and they take the division crown. If they win all 3, they take the top seed in the conference. Let's get it done, boys!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Updated Race
1 x-Pittsburgh 99-3
2 x-Montreal 98-3
3 Carolina 90-3
4 New Jersey 93-4
5 Ottawa 92-3
6 N.Y. Rangers 91-4
7 Philadelphia 91-3
8 Boston 90-4
Still alive
9 Washington 88-3
10 Buffalo 84-4

Clinching/Elimination Scenarios
Buffalo
Will be eliminated from playoff contention with
1.) A Loss
NOTE: Boston and Buffalo play tonight at 6:00

Montreal
Can Clinch the Northeast Division with
1.) A win

Pittsburgh
Can Clinch Atlantic Division with
1.) A win
2.) A New Jersey Loss
3.)Picking up 1 point by way of Overtime or Shootout

Can Clinch the Eastern Conference Top Seed with
1.)2 wins(Not counting Today)(Pittsburgh would have 103 in this situation)
2.)1 Win and a Montreal Loss(Pittsburgh would have 101 with 2 games
3.)Picking up 3 out 4 in the next two games
4.)Win Out in the event Montreal wins out
5.)Picking up 5 out 6

Ottawa
1.) A win and Washington loss

New Jersey
1.) A win OR
2.) A Washington Loss

HometownGal
03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
What a great game by the Pens! :thumbsup: Everyone seems to be in sync and they are molding themselves into a serious Stanley Cup contender! :cheers: Fleury was once again very good in the net and the D played outstanding. Gino got another point and is now 5 behind AO for the Art Ross. :cheers: One more win and we take the division. :cheers:

There was a playoff atmosphere inside Mellon Arena today and it was awesome! :banana:

LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Ready for another round against the Rags.

HometownGal
03-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Ready for another round against the Rags.

I think the Rags are going to come out fighting tomorrow night - this is a huge game for them, as they need a win to clinch a playoff spot. I'm pretty sure we'll see Conklin in goal tomorrow night as I don't see Therrien playing Fleury in back to back games. Who knows though?

It was soooooo nice to see Fagomir knocked on his fat behind today - LOL! :thumbsup: The guy in front of our seats got a bit snarky when Baby Huey was announced as the starting RW and the crowd, including us, boooed loudly. People just don't get it - the guy has been a habitual whiner and a cherry picker most of his career. He wouldn't have become the player he was (and I definitely say was - he's lost some speed and packed on some chub) without Mario and Ron Francis but yet dissed Mario when he left Pittsburgh for the green. I haven't respected him since and I never will.

SteelCityMan786
03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I think the Rags are going to come out fighting tomorrow night - this is a huge game for them, as they need a win to clinch a playoff spot. I'm pretty sure we'll see Conklin in goal tomorrow night as I don't see Therrien playing Fleury in back to back games. Who knows though?

It was soooooo nice to see Fagomir knocked on his fat behind today - LOL! :thumbsup: The guy in front of our seats got a bit snarky when Baby Huey was announced as the starting RW and the crowd, including us, boooed loudly. People just don't get it - the guy has been a habitual whiner and a cherry picker most of his career. He wouldn't have become the player he was (and I definitely say was - he's lost some speed and packed on some chub) without Mario and Ron Francis but yet dissed Mario when he left Pittsburgh for the green. I haven't respected him since and I never will.

I heard Straka got a nice ovation. He pretty much was silent from what I saw of him.

BettisFan
03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
and Malkins cut ouch!

HometownGal
03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I heard Straka got a nice ovation. He pretty much was silent from what I saw of him.

I wouldn't say it was an ovation, Matt, but the fans were very receptive to him, as always. He was loved here (still is) and left with class, unlike Chubbo. :pig:

This team is pumped - you can see it in their play. :cheers:

Bettis - Malkin caught a skate on the left cheek and left midway through the 2nd period but came back in the 3rd and seemed just fine, thank goodness.

HometownGal
03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Excellent read on Sarge. I couldn't agree with his teammates more that he is terribly underrated and underappreciated by some of the fans and the media.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/breaking/s_559773.html

Pens' Gonchar among elite defensemen
By Rob Rossi

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sergei Gonchar is not going to win the Norris Trophy, and that is not the point.
"He definitely should be (a finalist), and the media needs to recognize that," teammate Ryan Whitney said of Gonchar, who is enjoying the finest of his three seasons with the Penguins, and arguably the best of an NHL career that spans 13 seasons.

Gonchar's performance this season -- measured statistically and by the naked eye -- should qualify him a leading candidate for the James Norris Memorial Trophy, presented since 1953 to "the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-around ability in that position."

Gonchar has never won the award. His highest placement was fourth for the 2001-02 season, and he is no sure bet to finish that high this season -- though for no good reason, according to those that watch him everyday.

"Before I got here, I always thought he was one of the smartest defensemen in the league," right wing Marian Hossa said. "Now, after seeing him all the time, I'd say he's one of the top three. He's so smart that he doesn't have to be physical. You have to think about that. It seems like a lot of people don't. People love the physical defensemen, but the smart ones are the guys that forwards hate playing against.
"Gonchar is right up there with (Detroit's) Nicklas Lidstrom and (Anaheim's) Chris Pronger. I don't think the media gives him enough credit."

The Norris Trophy is voted on by select members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, and Gonchar's reputation -- "one dimensional," according to several PHWA voters -- will hurt his candidacy.

Due to the NHL's unbalanced schedule, many PHWA voters will judge Gonchar based off one or two performances, some none at all.

New Jersey right wing Jamie Langenbrunner has played nearly three dozen games against Gonchar over the past six seasons, and he cannot find merit in the one-dimensional argument.

"I don't think anybody that has played against him would ever call him one-dimensional," Langenbrunner said. "He moves the puck so well, and you think of that as an offensive trait, but it's actually a defensive thing to move the puck out of the zone. He's also in position defensively, because he sees the ice so well, that other guys don't get into.

"The defensemen that can move the puck and skate -- you need that presence in the modern NHL. That's how you play defense these days, and there aren't many defensemen in the league that do it better than Gonchar."

Consensus among players and PHWA members is that there is one such player: Lidstrom, who is the favorite to win the Norris Trophy for the sixth time in seven seasons. Among defensemen to have played at least 70 games and average 25-plus minutes of ice-time this season, Lidstrom rated first through Friday in points (66) and plus-minus (41).

For defensemen in that 70/25 category, Gonchar has quietly and consistently reached a rarified level this season with 61 points (second) and a plus-13 rating (tied for third).

Gonchar has been undervalued by the media and fans for years, but this season more than any, said a Hockey Hall-of-Fame defenseman that spent a significant portion of his mostly underrated career with the Penguins.

"He has elements of offense -- a big shot, great vision and passing, things along those lines -- but he's a guy that just goes out and has the puck more than the opposition," said Larry Murphy, who works as an HDNet hockey analyst. "That's how he does it. That's how he is effective defensively."

Murphy recorded 1,216 points in 1,615 games with six clubs, including 301 over 336 games with the Penguins from 1990-91 through 1994-95. He recorded at least 60 points in 11 of 20 seasons, and his 934 assists rank 14th in league history, fourth among defensemen.

He never won the Norris Trophy. In fact, like Gonchar, he was never close.

Gonchar has totaled at least 60 points in consecutive seasons and three times overall.

Of course, nobody knocks his offense. He is first among defensemen in goals (110) and second to Lidstrom in points (427) since 2000. He has finished no lower than eighth in defensive scoring since 1998-99.

"To me, the Norris Trophy isn't about points alone," said Tim Wharnsby, a PHWA voter from the Toronto Globe and Mail. "A defenseman also has to exhibit efficiency in his own end like a Scott Niedermayer, Pronger or Lidstrom. Sergei has certainly demonstrated that he's cleaned up his act in his own end because he's become a plus-player. Therefore, he deserves consideration."

Gonchar, a combined minus-32 the past three seasons, has been a minus-player in 20 of 74 games this season, or 27 percent. He is an even-or-better player in 32 of the past 41 games.

Through Friday, Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf had played 25 games, including eight in a row at one point, in which he was a minus, or roughly 33 percent. Pronger, a Norris winner in 1999-2000, had registered a minus-rating in 18 of 71 games, or 25 percent.

Lidstrom was at almost 20 percent: 14 of 71 games with a minus-rating.

"And Lidstrom is the most effective defenseman in the NHL," Murphy said. "I look at Gonchar the same way. He's maybe not at Lidstrom's level, but there aren't many guys to ever play that have been. There aren't a lot of guys that right now are on Gonchar's level, either."

Gonchar's style is described by defense partners -- of whom he has had three this season, each that has excelled playing with him, according to coach Michel Therrien -- as "methodical," to a degree that its effectiveness is often overlooked.

He is, said defense partner Rob Scuderi, "definitely underrated overall defensively ... great vision, very good at reading the play. When you put up the offensive numbers that he does, the other parts of your game get overlooked. He'll never get credit for his defense."

"He should," defenseman Hal Gill said. "He takes the play to the forwards and makes them play defense, and that's the best kind of defense, but nobody ever talks about it that way.

"Watch his foot speed. It's unbelievable. He doesn't look fast, but he's one of the quickest recovery guys in the league. He can get in the way and be on the spot quick. He makes that part look so easy that people take it for granted. I noticed it when we played in Boston, and it's the same thing here."

Gonchar's mistakes often draw more notice than his expert keeps in the offensive zone and timely chips out of the defensive zone. Often it seems as though he cannot get noticed for anything but negatives.

He appeared in his fourth All-Star Game in January even though he was not on the official online ballot for fan voting.

"Maybe people don't think I'm very good," Gonchar said, smiling. "Everybody is entitled to their own point of view. I never say I'm at my best because I am always learning. I can always be better."

"He would say that," said teammate and occasional defense partner Brooks Orpik. "Watch him every game. There are a lot of little things that get overlooked with him. But watch him every game and then tell me how much better he can be.

"He's consistently great, and that's the hardest thing to do in this league."

SteelCityMan786
03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Excellent read on Sarge. I couldn't agree with his teammates more that he is terribly underrated and underappreciated by some of the fans and the media.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts

X-Terminator
03-31-2008, 02:18 AM
Updated Race
1 x-Pittsburgh 99-3
2 x-Montreal 98-3
3 Carolina 90-3
4 New Jersey 93-4
5 Ottawa 92-3
6 N.Y. Rangers 91-4
7 Philadelphia 91-3
8 Boston 90-4
Still alive
9 Washington 88-3
10 Buffalo 84-4

Clinching/Elimination Scenarios
Buffalo
Will be eliminated from playoff contention with
1.) A Loss
NOTE: Boston and Buffalo play tonight at 6:00

Montreal
Can Clinch the Northeast Division with
1.) A win

Pittsburgh
Can Clinch Atlantic Division with
1.) A win
2.) A New Jersey Loss
3.)Picking up 1 point by way of Overtime or Shootout

Can Clinch the Eastern Conference Top Seed with
1.)2 wins(Not counting Today)(Pittsburgh would have 103 in this situation)
2.)1 Win and a Montreal Loss(Pittsburgh would have 101 with 2 games
3.)Picking up 3 out 4 in the next two games
4.)Win Out in the event Montreal wins out
5.)Picking up 5 out 6

Ottawa
1.) A win and Washington loss

New Jersey
1.) A win OR
2.) A Washington Loss

Buffalo wins in OT, so they are still alive - for now. They need a lot of help to sneak in, and I don't think it's going to happen. The Rangers can also clinch a playoff berth with a win and a Washington loss. Carolina clinches the Southeast title with a win and a Washington loss (they hold the tiebreaker edge). The Penguins winning today clinches at least the 4th seed (2nd in the division), which means they get home ice in the first round no matter what happens. Montreal plays Ottawa on Tuesday, and of course we're rooting for the Sens. We need the Habs to lose so that the Pens can win the division and conference by beating the Rangers tomorrow and the Flyers on Wednesday. The obvious thing for them to do, of course, would be to simply win out, but it never hurts to get a little help from your friends. :wink02:

X-Terminator
03-31-2008, 02:24 AM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/news/breaking/s_559773.html

Great article, HTG. We have been saying all season long that Gonchar has been solid and that he doesn't get nearly enough credit from the masses, and this confirms it. When you have a guy like Langenbrunner praising you, a guy who's played with Scott Niedermayer, Scott Stevens and Brian Rafalski in his career, you know you're pretty good. He only gets mention when he makes mistakes - mistakes that even the great ones like Lidstrom make on occasion - and rarely gets praise for all of the good things he does when he's not on offense. He's been the best defenseman on the team all season long - period.

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
I bid adieu to Jagr yesterday at the game. :wave: :upyours: :toofunny:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_559852.html

Jagr may have bid adieu to 'Burgh
By Keith Barnes

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 31, 2008

For the last seven seasons, Jaromir Jagr has gone through a standard routine when he steps on the ice at Mellon Arena.

At the exact moment he first touches the puck, a cacophony of catcalls cascade down from the stands. This time, the fans had to wait until his second shift, a full 2:30 into the game, before letting loose on the New York Rangers' captain.

"I did (like Mellon Arena) when I used to play here," Jagr said. "But it's not easy when everybody's booing you when you touch the puck." :crying01::crying01::crying01:

If the Penguins and Rangers don't meet in the Stanley Cup playoffs, there is a chance that this may have been the last opportunity Pittsburgh fans will ever have to spew vitriol at Jagr, the Penguins' top pick in the 1990 draft who is second to Mario Lemieux in almost every career offensive category in franchise history.

Reports have surfaced in several publications that Jagr, who is in the final year of his contract, can -- unless he wins the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the playoffs -- become an unrestricted free agent after the season and may opt to play in Europe instead of shopping his services around the NHL.

After assisting on the Rangers' only goal, a first-period power-play tally by Brandon Dubinsky, he now has 34 points in 35 career games against the Penguins. In 1,269 career games, Jagr has 641 goals and 1,592 points, most of which came during his years in Pittsburgh.

He still owns a house here and won his only two Stanley Cups with the Penguins in 1991 and 1992. Before being traded along with Frantisek Kucera to the Washington Capitals after the 2000-01 season for Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk and Michel Sivek, he played 806 games, scored 439 goals and 1,079 points, was an all-star seven times, including six first-team selections, won the Hart Trophy in 1999 and all five of his scoring titles.

All those accomplishments still aren't enough to quell the fans' ire at his requesting a trade after the 2000-01 season. But, like he always does, Jagr tries to look at the bright side.

"It gives them something to do," Jagr said with a smile. "At least you know they follow me when I'm on the ice and when I touch the puck."

================================================== =========
Look - I appreciate his accomplishments here in the Burgh but I lost all respect for him when he dissed Mario the way he did when he left. Everyone who lives in the Burgh knows that there are 4 sports enigmas that you just don't cap on and get away with it:

1. Art Rooney, Sr.
2. The late (and great) Roberto Clemente
3. Mario Lemeiux
4. Franco Harris

As I said in an earlier post, Jagr should be forever grateful to Mario and Ron Francis for molding him into the player he was. He had a lot of natural talent, I'll give him that, but Mario and Ronnie really showcased that talent.

P.S. Hey Chubbo - as long as I'm contributing to the Pens and NHL coffers, I'll boo you until you're on the slow boat to Russia. Taa-taa!

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
i think y'all need to lay off the Jagr hate

He doesn't play for us anymore so why bother paying attention to him

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM

We'll hate on him if we want to. This is a board of opinions. :wink02:

Edman
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM

Carson Palmer, Ray Lewis and Tom Brady don't play for the Steelers, and they're one of the most despised athletes in Pittsburgh.

Sorry, Jagr is just one of those ex-players who Pittsburgh fans grown to love to hate, plus he's the enemy. You boo the enemy.

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
i heard a nasty rumor today that Letang will be a healthy scratch tonight and Whitney will be back on D. Baffles me why Letang would be scratched and not Sydor

I also heard that Adam Hall might return on Wednesday

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
i heard a nasty rumor today that Letang will be a healthy scratch tonight and Whitney will be back on D. Baffles me why Letang would be scratched and not Sydor

I also heard that Adam Hall might return on Wednesday

I think that is just a nasty rumor, LS. There is no way Therrien would scratch a healthy Letang against the Rags. I think we'll see the same D pairings tonight as we've seen the past several games:

Gonchar/Orpik
Letang/Gill
Sydor/Scuderi

Sydor hasn't played all that badly over the past several weeks, imho, and has seemed to find a niche playing alongside Scuderi since his return. All 3 D pairings have played very well over the last couple of games. Gonchar and Orpik are well suited to each other, but Letang and Gill have come on very strong and are quite the formidable pair.

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Tonight's game is a 7 PM start on Versus.

I expect to see Conks in the net since Fleury played yesterday, but ya never know.

LETS GO PENS!

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
think that is just a nasty rumor, LS. There is no way Therrien would scratch a healthy Letang against the Rags. I think we'll see the same D pairings tonight as we've seen the past several games:

Gonchar/Orpik
Letang/Gill
Sydor/Scuderi

nope, its true. Letang is scratched: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08091/869386-61.stm

here are our pairings:

Gonchar/Orpik
Sydor/Whitney
Gill/Scuderi

Therrian is an idiot. the first pairing is good but Whitney should be with Gill or Scuderi

I expect to see Conks in the net since Fleury played yesterday, but ya never know.

Fleury is starting

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
WOW LS - your source was 100% correct! I am absolutely shocked that Therrien is sitting Letang in a game of this much importance. :dang: Oh well - we'll have to see how it all plays out. With Therrien, there is usually a method to his madness.

Good fight between Malone and that dikhead Avery. I'd have to give that one to Avery by a hair.

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
not a bad period but we only had 1 shot

our power play is hurting, gotta fix it. I think we need to go with 2 top units and put Whitney back on the point. Put Malkin and Sykora on 1 and Corsby and Hossa on the other.

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 07:58 PM
not a bad period but we only had 1 shot

our power play is hurting, gotta fix it. I think we need to go with 2 top units and put Whitney back on the point. Put Malkin and Sykora on 1 and Corsby and Hossa on the other.

That's the smallest number of shots the Pens have had in 6 years. :jawdrop: The Rags are played excellent D.

I agree with putting Whitney on the point on the PP - he thrives in that spot. We have to get some traffic in front of Lundvquist - most times that's the only way to score on him. C'mon Pens - let's get a couple of goals in the 2nd.

SteelCityMan786
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
We need a BIG Period here.

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Refs - 1
Pens - 0

IKm ok with the goal call but they should have NEVER got a 5 on 3, wtf is that? total BS

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Rangers -1
Pens- 0

end of the 2nd!

Come on guys pulls this one out!

X-Terminator
03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't know what it is with the Rangers at MSG, but the Pens have not played well there all year long. But despite the Rags' dominance, they only lead 1-0 and that was on a fluke goal. The Pens have to find a way to generate some shots on goal if they're to have a chance.

SteelShooter
03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Pens Scored its 1-1 6 minutes left in 3rd!

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
wow, Pens really turned it on at the end there

gotta love that effort. tied at 1 going into OT

I wonder who we will go with if it goes to shootout? i guess:

Hossa
Ruutu
Crosby

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Crosbys a beast in shootouts! We got this! and with this win we clinch the division!!

HometownGal
03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Heartbreaking loss tonight. Drury on a PPG. I don't think Fleury ever saw that shot from the point as Staal and Gill were standing in a line in front of him. :dang: Pens get to 100 but don't clinch the division - - yet, but I believe they will on Wednesday night.

I BELIEVE! :cheers:

X-Terminator
03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
wow, Pens really turned it on at the end there

gotta love that effort. tied at 1 going into OT

I wonder who we will go with if it goes to shootout? i guess:

Hossa
Ruutu
Crosby

Forget that. Rags win in OT on a 4-3 PPG.

So...let's go Isles!!!

BettisFan
03-31-2008, 09:44 PM
That just sucked! Come on! Well we will have to wait.... Thats just weak!

Lets hope the Pirates win! 4-4 top of the 8th!

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
oh well, atleast we got a point

Fleury is playing great (no way he could see that shot in OT)

if it wasnt for that BS 5-3 he would have had a shutout

X-Terminator
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Now you know I'm glad we got the point. BUT...

- We went 0-for-MSG this season.
- We gave up 2 more PPG on the road. Granted, they were on a 5-on-3 and a 4-on-3, but that adds to our pathetic road PK numbers.
- Our PP continues to struggle - 1 for 30 since Crosby came back. When is Therrien going to finally wake up and split up the units? Having so many playmakers on the same unit does NOT get the job done. We need another shooter in the middle and start getting more shots from the point. Speaking of that, the one thing I have to get on Gonchar for is that he is missing the net way too much from the point. He has to improve that, because that certainly does not help our numbers.
- MORE SHOTS!!!! They are not getting nearly enough shots on goal.

Other than that, we had another solid defensive effort and Fleury was great again.

Lord Stiller
03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
yeah, the only big concern i have is getting our PP in order other than that i am confident heading into the postseason :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
tough game to watch tonite. fleury played awesome again no chance on the OT winner.

i heard somewhere that we have 13-14 upcoming Unrestricted Free Agents does any1 have a link to where i could find look at the contracts of the players?

X-Terminator
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
yeah, the only big concern i have is getting our PP in order other than that i am confident heading into the postseason :thumbsup:

Unless they get it fixed, I'm not so confident. They have too much talent out there to be struggling this badly. It's hard to believe that the PP is actually WORSE with Crosby in the lineup than without, but the numbers speak for themselves. The Flyers and Habs have 1/2 the talent we have, but have more effective PPs. Being able to score on the PP can be a big difference in wins and losses in the postseason.

Lord Stiller
04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Unless they get it fixed, I'm not so confident. They have too much talent out there to be struggling this badly. It's hard to believe that the PP is actually WORSE with Crosby in the lineup than without, but the numbers speak for themselves. The Flyers and Habs have 1/2 the talent we have, but have more effective PPs. Being able to score on the PP can be a big difference in wins and losses in the postseason.

Im not so worried. it's up to Therrian to fix it. Malkin cant play the point right now and we have to separate Malkin, Crosby and Hossa that is just too many playmakers

Sykora is damn good on the PP. We need to make 2 top lines as so:

Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Staal - Crosby - Hossa

with Gonchar and Whitney on the point. Gonchar is one of the best in the league on the point in the PP

X-Terminator
04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Im not so worried. it's up to Therrian to fix it. Malkin cant play the point right now and we have to separate Malkin, Crosby and Hossa that is just too many playmakers

Sykora is damn good on the PP. We need to make 2 top lines as so:

Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Staal - Crosby - Hossa

with Gonchar and Whitney on the point. Gonchar is one of the best in the league on the point in the PP

That's what I would go with, but it's obvious Therrien is hell-bent in putting all of his best players/playmakers on the same unit. Is it any wonder why the PP struggles when you have guys always looking for the pretty play? Plus, the way they run it is so predictable that it's easy to stop. Everybody knows the puck is going to Crosby and that he and Malkin always line up on the same side, so the other team just funnels their PK'ers to that side, pressure them and take away their passing lanes. If they would move Crosby and Malkin around more, maybe rotating either of them behind the net at times, while using the pointmen to get shots on goal, they can open up the box and get some shots/passes through. That said, there is no reason why they can't split them up and have a shooter/playmaker/guy in front of the net on both units. You have to do whatever it takes to win. If they score just ONE PPG last night, they win the game. They didn't, and ultimately lost the game.

And yes, Gonchar is one of the best PP pointmen in the league, no question. But he still needs to get his shots on goal. What good is having a great shot if you consistently miss the net?

HometownGal
04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
And yes, Gonchar is one of the best PP pointmen in the league, no question. But he still needs to get his shots on goal. What good is having a great shot if you consistently miss the net?

In last night's game, the Rags were blocking just about every available lane on the PP - they were excellent on the PK, unfortunately. Quite possibly, he is hoping to set up a rebound because he doesn't always have a clear shot on goal.

43 of Sarge's 62 points this season are on the PP - what more do you want from the guy?? :dang:

X-Terminator
04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
In last night's game, the Rags were blocking just about every available lane on the PP - they were excellent on the PK, unfortunately. Quite possibly, he is hoping to set up a rebound because he doesn't always have a clear shot on goal.

43 of Sarge's 62 points this season are on the PP - what more do you want from the guy?? :dang:

He's been missing the net even when he's had clear lanes to shoot. I don't know if he's off-balance when he shoots or what, but he's missing a lot more now than he did earlier in the season. I'd just like to see him hit the net more often with his shots - that's all. It doesn't always have to be the big slapper, it can be a little push shot or wrist shot, the latter of which he is very good at. Just get it to the net where it can be deflected or get a nice rebound. I'm not taking anything away from the season he's had, just noting something I've been seeing over the last month.

HometownGal
04-01-2008, 04:05 PM
He's been missing the net even when he's had clear lanes to shoot.

The same could be said for quite a few of our guys lately. Considering the season Sarge has had - and especially on the PP (adding in all of the time the guy has been asked to play due to others' injuries) - I really think you are nitpicking - sorry.

X-Terminator
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
The same could be said for quite a few of our guys lately. Considering the season Sarge has had - and especially on the PP (adding in all of the time the guy has been asked to play due to others' injuries) - I really think you are nitpicking - sorry.

I've complained about the same thing with Letang and Erik Christensen whe he was here. Great shots only work when you actually hit the net. Letang shanked one badly on Sunday, if you'll recall. So it isn't just limited to Gonchar.

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Well so how do we clinch now?

X-Terminator
04-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Well so how do we clinch now?

If the Devils lose tonight, either in regulation or OT, the Pens win the division. If they win, then the Pens can clinch if they beat Killadelphia tomorrow night.

Other scenarios:

Eastern Conference:

- A Washington loss in regulation tonight clinches playoff berths for the Rangers and Devils and would give Carolina the Southeast Division title (they are playing each other tonight in Washington).
- The Senators can clinch a berth with a win and a Washington loss (regulation or OT).
- The Canadiens clinch the Northeast Division title with a win OR OT loss. Montreal is at Ottawa tonight.
- The Flyers and Bruins clinch berths with a win and Washington loss in regulation.
- The Pens can also clinch the top seed with 2 wins and a Montreal loss.

Western Conference:

- The Red Wings clinch the President's trophy with a win OR Sharks loss.
- The Wild clinches the Northwest Division title with 2 wins OR a win and losses by the Flames and Avs.
- The Avs clinch a playoff berth with a win.
- The Flames clinch a playoff berth with a win and a Predators loss.
- The Canucks can clinch with 2 wins and losses by Edmonton (either in regulation or OT) and Nashville in regulation.

Complete scenarios can be found here: http://www.nhl.com/news/playoffs/updated_scenarios.html

SteelCityMan786
04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
NHL Scoreboard Updates(Games affecting the race)

Washington 2, Carolina 0-1st Intermission
NY Islanders 1, New Jersey 0-1st Intermission
Senators 0, Canadiens 0-12:11 1st Period
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 0-11:04 1st Period

HometownGal
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Update on Northeast Conference scores:

NY Islanders 1, New Jersey 1 19:24 remaining in 3rd Period
Montreal 2, Ottawa 0 11:23 remaining in second period
Washington 3, Carolina 1 End of 2nd period

In other news - Fleury named 2nd Star of the Month! :cheers::thumbsup:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=358801

SECOND STAR -- MARC-ANDRE FLEURY, G, PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Fleury posted a 9-1-1 record, 1.44 goals-against average, .951 save percentage and two shutouts in 11 games as Pittsburgh (46-26-8, 100 points) moved into first place in the Eastern Conference. He allowed two goals or fewer in 10 of 11 games, including shutouts against Tampa Bay, Mar. 4 and New Jersey, Mar. 25. In 33 appearances this season, Fleury has posted a 18-9-2 record, 2.38 goals-against average, .920 save percentage and four shutouts.

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Come on Devils lose!

X-Terminator
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Devils win 2-1 in OT. Dammit!

Pens need a point against Killadelphia tomorrow night to clinch the division title.

SteelCityMan786
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Devils win 2-1 in OT. Dammit!

Pens need a point against Killadelphia tomorrow night to clinch the division title.

I prefer Shitelphia to call them Flyers.

Lord Stiller
04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
goddam Devils won in OT

Caps win

Montreal up 2-0 over ottawa

bad night of hockey :dang: