PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

BettisFan
04-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Thats just weak, well we got it toamrow!

X-Terminator
04-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I prefer Shitelphia to call them Flyers.

Well regardless of what you call them, I hope nobody expects a repeat of the last matchup when we beat them 7-1. The Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives, so I expect them to come out firing. Let's hope the Pens can do the same and get that point. I'd rather it not come down to hoping that the Devils lose or having to win in Killy on Sunday to win the division.

EDIT: Looking at the way things are shaping up, and the way the Sens are tanking right now, it is entirely possible that the Pens can meet them again in the first round, this time as a 2-7 or 1-8 matchup. It is also possible that they could end up not making it at all - if they lose their last 2 games, the Caps get 3 of 4 points in their last 2 and the Bruins and Flyers each get 2 points out of their remaining games, the Sens would be out of the playoffs. Remember, they started the season 15-2 and everyone thought they would run away with the conference. If they don't make it, it would be one of the biggest choke jobs in NHL history, IMO.

Lord Stiller
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Looks like the weakass Caps will sneak into the playoffs with their cake schedule. Man i hope we get the Caps in the 1st round

2 big games tonight:

Philly at Pittsburgh
Boston at Jersey

Lord Stiller
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
good news, both Letang and Adam Hall are back tonight and Fleury is starting again. I think they will now sit Sydor and Hall will center line 4

Lines:

Dupuis - Crosby - Hossa
Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Talbot - Staal - Kennedy
Ruutu - Hall - Laraque

Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Scuderi
Gill - Letang

Fleury

we can eliminate the Flyers with a win tonight and Sunday hahahahahaha

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
And we are going to, we gots it!

X-Terminator
04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
2-1 Flyers after 1. Been a physical game so far, which I thought would be the case. The Flyers need points and wanted to set the tone early. Hopefully the Pens will get their game rolling and get a couple of goals and win this thing. They have to - I don't want to rely on other teams to do our work for us.

Speaking of other teams, the Devils lead the Bruins 2-1 in the 2nd. Blah. EDIT: The Devils had the goal disallowed and the Bruins scored shortly thereafter, so they lead 2-1.

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
wow Gonchar has our goal lol

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Its 3-2 us

Crosby and Malkin both with goals
4:52 in the 2nd

Lord Stiller
04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
the game is blocked on my Center Ice package and I feel like I am missing the best game of the year (listening on radio)

HometownGal
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Great game! Gonchar got his mean on tonight - plastered that jagoff Hartnell into next week - LOL! Very un-Sergei like but me likey! :cheers:

Damned Devils scored late in the 3rd to tie the Bruins 2-2. 4:20 into OT now. :dang::dang:

The Duke
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
the game is blocked on my Center Ice package and I feel like I am missing the best game of the year (listening on radio)

I hear ya, radio's just not the same. but it's something

game's great so far!

HometownGal
04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Freakin' Devils win in the SO 3-2. C'mon Pens - gotta hold on and win this one! :cheers:

The Duke
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
crosby scores!!!!

man, great game

HometownGal
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS PENS

2008 ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPS! :thumbsup::cheers::banana:

fansince'76
04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Great game! Gonchar got his mean on tonight - plastered that jagoff Hartnell into next week - LOL! Very un-Sergei like but me likey! :cheers:

Damned Devils scored late in the 3rd to tie the Bruins 2-2. 4:20 into OT now. :dang::dang:

Didn't the Pens clinch the division by winning tonight?

EDIT: I guess so! :tt02:

SteelCityMan786
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
YOUR 2007-2008 ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

YOUR PITTSBURGH PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!

GET OF OUR THROWN DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
YESSS YESSS WOOHOOHOOOHOOWOOHOO!! YEA BABY!

GO PENS!!!!!!!!! GOING TO BE CHAMPIONS!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banan a::cheers::cheers::banana:

meanjoecoop
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
A Buffalo win over Montreal tomorrow and we clinch the Eastern Conference as well!

GO BUFFALO! :wink02:

BettisFan
04-02-2008, 10:01 PM
A Buffalo win over Montreal tomorrow and we clinch the Eastern Conference as well!

GO BUFFALO! :wink02:

:jawdrop:... the doors that way :kick:

Big7BenHOF
04-02-2008, 11:03 PM
07-08 ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!

X-Terminator
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Well, we did it. And honestly, I did not have any doubt that we would win and clinch tonight, even when we were down 2-1, because we've been so good at home this season. Now, all we need is a little help from our Winter Classic opponent tomorrow night, and we clinch the top seed in the East.

Congratulations, Pens! You've made this Penguins fan proud! :tt02::cheers:

Edman
04-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Congratulations to the Penguins! First Division Title in a decade. This has been a wonderful season thus far. Simply unbelieveable.

Oh, and Philadelphia sucks.

X-Terminator
04-03-2008, 04:30 AM

I actually had to look twice to see if that was Gonchar, because I couldn't believe I saw him lay someone out like that! :sofunny: Great hit on a big-time jackass in Hartnell. I was so hoping Laraque or somebody would throw him a beating for all of the crap he pulled tonight, but I guess I'll settle for Gonchar's butt-end in the nose when he tried to get him back for that hit - LOL! He looked great tonight overall and did the things I expect of him on the PP. The goal he scored, he just pushed it toward the net and it went in, and his passes were as crisp as can be. The one to Crosby on his second goal was awesome - there aren't too many players in the league who are better at the shot-pass than him. That's the kind of game I'm used to seeing from him, and the game he's brought just about every night all season long.

X-Terminator
04-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Congratulations to the Penguins! First Division Title in a decade. This has been a wonderful season thus far. Simply unbelieveable.

Oh, and Philadelphia sucks.

I will laugh SO hard if they don't end up making the playoffs. I will laugh even harder if it's the Penguins who knock them out of the playoffs on Sunday! :sofunny:

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
I actually had to look twice to see if that was Gonchar, because I couldn't believe I saw him lay someone out like that! :sofunny: Great hit on a big-time jackass in Hartnell. I was so hoping Laraque or somebody would throw him a beating for all of the crap he pulled tonight, but I guess I'll settle for Gonchar's butt-end in the nose when he tried to get him back for that hit - LOL! He looked great tonight overall and did the things I expect of him on the PP. The goal he scored, he just pushed it toward the net and it went in, and his passes were as crisp as can be. The one to Crosby on his second goal was awesome - there aren't too many players in the league who are better at the shot-pass than him. That's the kind of game I'm used to seeing from him, and the game he's brought just about every night all season long.

Hey - if you can find Sarge's hit and Hartnell's proper introduction to Sarge's stick anywhere on video, can you please post them? Sergei wasn't brought here for his physical play, but it was awesome to see him step up like that and smear that SOB Hartnell for all of the cheap shots he laid on Sid.

Yes, Sarge looked awesome and clearly demonstrated why he is considered one of the top d-men in the league. :cheers:

X-Terminator
04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey - if you can find Sarge's hit and Hartnell's proper introduction to Sarge's stick anywhere on video, can you please post them? Sergei wasn't brought here for his physical play, but it was awesome to see him step up like that and smear that SOB Hartnell for all of the cheap shots he laid on Sid.

Yes, Sarge looked awesome and clearly demonstrated why he is considered one of the top d-men in the league. :cheers:

You can view the hit at NHL.com's highlights for the game, along with the fight between Laraque and Cote. As soon as I find anything on the butt-end, I'll be sure to post it. I'm sure someone will at least have the hit on YouTube at some point.

Counselor
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
What a game! Crosby's second goal was just sick! The flyers had the Penguins wound up---but they all channeled their anger in the right direction-scoring on the power play.
Part of me would like to see a Pens/Flyers series the first round----but I'm afraid someone will get hurt----especially if we're up 3 games to 0.

Congrats on the Patrick Div . . I mean Northeast . .. I mean Atlantic Division Crown. Go Pens!

Edman
04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I will laugh SO hard if they don't end up making the playoffs. I will laugh even harder if it's the Penguins who knock them out of the playoffs on Sunday! :sofunny:

The bitter Philthy fans deserve nothing less. Make it happen, Pens!

HometownGal
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
If you think last night's game was physical, you ain't seen nothing yet. I expect the Flyers to come out with a huge chip on their shoulders on Sunday and dare the Pens to knock it off. We will probably see more of the same dirty pool by Hartnell and their other cheap shot artists to try to throw the Pens off of their game. This is their final curtain call and I'd love nothing more than to see the Pens kick their asses all over that ice. :banana::jammin:

I really don't want to have to play the Flyers in the first round - I'd much rather play the Bruins, but let the chips fall where they may. I have complete confidence in this team! :cheers:

LETS GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-04-2008, 06:55 AM
And of course, we got absolutely no help from the Sabres last night, and Montreal is now tied with the Pens for the conference lead. I'm not expecting the Leafs to help us out on Saturday either, because they absolutely friggin suck. So the Pens are going to have to beat the Flyers on Sunday in order to get the top seed.

Speaking of the Flyers, if the season ended today, they would be out of the playoffs. Ottawa, Washington and the Rags all won last night, dropping the Flyers to 9th. So if they lose tonight, Carolina and Boston win and the Sens and Caps win on Saturday, the Flyers will NOT make the playoffs. Here's hoping, cuz I need a good laugh at their expense! :sofunny:

BettisFan
04-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Well at least we have the division right?

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Sunday is going to be a war

Looks like we will have to win to get #1 seed and to knock Philly out.

Hopefully Philly doesn't take too many cheap shots

X-Terminator
04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Flyers win 3-0, Boston wins 2-1 and Carolina loses 4-3, therefore the Flyers, Bruins and Senators are all in the playoffs. Washington must now gain at least 1 point against Florida tomorrow night in order to get in by winning the Southeast Division title. The Flyers can finish as high as 6th if they beat the Penguins and the Bruins lose to the Sabres tomorrow night. The Rangers lost 4-3 in a SO, so their matchup with the Devils on Sunday will determine who finishes 4th or 5th.

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 09:07 PM
this sucks. there is a very good chance we will be playing Philly

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
The way things have shaped up, we cannot end up playing Washington, Carolina, New York or New Jersey. As such, we will only concern ourselves with Ottawa, Philly and Boston.

If Montreal loses tomorrow against Toronto and we win the East:

Scenario 1:
Pittsburgh loses Sunday against Philly.
Boston loses tomorrow against Buffalo.
We play Boston.

Scenario 2:
Boston wins tomorrow against Buffalo.
We play Ottawa.

Scenario 3:
Pittsburgh wins Sunday against Philly.
Boston wins or loses tomorrow against Buffalo.
We play Philly.

If Montreal wins tomorrow against Toronto:

Scenario 1:
Boston loses tomorrow against Buffalo.
We play Ottawa.

Scenario 2:
Boston wins tomorrow against Buffalo.
We play Philly.

Scenario 3:
Pittsburgh wins Sunday against Philly.
Boston wins or loses tomorrow against Buffalo.
We play Philly.

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
hopefully Toronto beats Montreal tomorrow night and we just tank Sunday's game and face either Buffalo or Ottawa

lilyoder6
04-04-2008, 09:10 PM
well if the captials some how make it that would be a nice matchup sid the kid and ov.. i think the nfl need ov to make it to the playoffs..

X-Terminator
04-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Right now, I'd want Ottawa - they are really reeling and are ripe for the picking with both Alfredsson and Fisher out. Boston is a very good defensive team that could give us fits and could be a possible upset - they are the team I'd least want to face. Philly is an enigma, and history isn't on our side (the Pens have never beaten the Flyers in a playoff series). That one could go either way, especially if Biron plays out of his mind. They have more than enough offense to give anyone trouble. So I'd like to see Option 2 if Montreal loses and Option 1 if they win and the Pens lose.

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
well if the captials some how make it that would be a nice matchup sid the kid and ov.. i think the nfl need ov to make it to the playoffs..

there is a 0% chance we play Washington in the 1st round

50% chance we play Philly
33% chance we play Ottawa
17% chance we play Boston

Lord Stiller
04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Right now, I'd want Ottawa - they are really reeling and are ripe for the picking with both Alfredsson and Fisher out. Boston is a very good defensive team that could give us fits and could be a possible upset - they are the team I'd least want to face. Philly is an enigma, and history isn't on our side (the Pens have never beaten the Flyers in a playoff series). That one could go either way, especially if Biron plays out of his mind. They have more than enough offense to give anyone trouble. So I'd like to see Option 2 if Montreal loses and Option 1 if they win and the Pens lose.

I agree.

X-Terminator
04-04-2008, 10:22 PM
With the Flyers in, that makes 4 teams from the Atlantic Division in the playoffs. Hands down the best division in the NHL.

BettisFan
04-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Jeez this is going to be a hard road to the cup this year.

Lord Stiller
04-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Jeez this is going to be a hard road to the cup this year.

No kidding. We are getting a raw deal here. Facing Boston, Ottawa, Washington, Carolina would be a much easier 1st round

Our road to the Cup is shaping up to be: Philly, Jersey/New York, and Montreal. thats tough

SteelCityMan786
04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
No kidding. We are getting a raw deal here. Facing Boston, Ottawa, Washington, Carolina would be a much easier 1st round

Our road to the Cup is shaping up to be: Philly, Jersey/New York, and Montreal. thats tough

Lets Just say Philly has their meltdown like they did during Wednesday's Win, good chance we'll still do well.

Welcome to the Atlantic Division Playoffs up in the 1-8 and 4-5 match ups if all holds.

X-Terminator
04-05-2008, 12:05 PM

Tough, but would be well-earned. Of course, the "earned" part really wouldn't be the case, as there is an obvious conspiracy by the league to give the Penguins the Cup. They're biased toward us because we have Crosby and Malkin, you see. Don't believe me? Ask a Flyers fan. Or any other team's fan, for that matter. :rolleyes:

Lord Stiller
04-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Tough, but would be well-earned. Of course, the "earned" part really wouldn't be the case, as there is an obvious conspiracy by the league to give the Penguins the Cup. They're biased toward us because we have Crosby and Malkin, you see. Don't believe me? Ask a Flyers fan. Or any other team's fan, for that matter. :rolleyes:

yeah i heard the 'conspiracies' I found it hilarious to hear the Flyers whine about the officiating and whine about the Pens rough play and whine about Crosby whining

the Cryers are a joke.

SteelCityMan786
04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
With the Flyers in, that makes 4 teams from the Atlantic Division in the playoffs. Hands down the best division in the NHL.

Sometimes the best teams must go through the toughest fire. The Penguins are more then capable of winning it all this year. If they keep playing with that Heart and Desire that they have during the entire Regular Season during the playoffs, after Sunday we're officially 16 wins away from offiicially winning our 3rd Stanley Cup.

I BELIEVE IT WILL BE DONE!

X-Terminator
04-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Montreal wins 3-1, Boston loses 3-0 and Washington wins 3-1 to win the Southeast Division title and the #3 seed. The Penguins must now beat the Flyers tomorrow to clinch the top seed in the conference - if they do, they will play the Flyers in the first round; Montreal would play Boston and the Caps would play Ottawa. If the Flyers win, they will finish 6th and play Washington in the first round, the Pens would play Ottawa and Montreal plays Boston.

Lord Stiller
04-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Forget the #1 seed.

If i was the coach, i would rest Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar and Fleury and let Philly win

right?

X-Terminator
04-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Forget the #1 seed.

If i was the coach, i would rest Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar and Fleury and let Philly win

right?

I would go for the top seed regardless - I'd want home ice throughout the playoffs, and that is exactly what Therrien will do. If anyone sits, it'll be Fleury. Everyone else will be in the lineup. If the Flyers are going to get that #6 seed, they are going to have to earn it - I wouldn't just give it to them.

Lord Stiller
04-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I would go for the top seed regardless - I'd want home ice throughout the playoffs, and that is exactly what Therrien will do. If anyone sits, it'll be Fleury. Everyone else will be in the lineup.

Yeah i guess you are right. We've proven we can beat Philly, i just dont like seeing the dirty play that Philly brings

pittsburghp8baller
04-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Forget the #1 seed.

right?

u never let ur most hated rival jus win a game we beat the living the crap out the them. send them into the postseason with their heads down and tails between their legs

SteelCityMan786
04-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah i guess you are right. We've proven we can beat Philly, i just dont like seeing the dirty play that Philly brings

I like to call them Flyers by the name of Dirties. It's synonymous with Philly.

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Mike Milbury on NBC called Hossa a "disappointment." Um Mike, he has 10 points in the 11 games he's played. He's also been injured and has played a grand total of 4 games with Sidney Crosby as his center. And when he hasn't been scoring, he has been terrific defensively. So really Mike...what in the bloody blue hell are you talking about?

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Forget the #1 seed.

right?

I want to put the fear of God into the Flyers whether we end up playing them in the first round or not. If we win our first round and they win theirs, we may be meeting up with them and I want them to know up front that we mean business and aren't going to back down. I say kick their arses today and I hope Hartnell gets a much needed payback for his cheap, dirty shenanigans in the last game.

LETS GO PENS! :cheers:

Edman
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Let the Flyers win? Are you out of your mind?

When you have a chance to send a message to those clowns over there in eastern PA you take that chance.

F Philly and F the Flyers.

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Sid's not playing today - it was a coach's decision to sit him. Fleury is in goal.

Gary Roberts is back in the lineup - welcome back!!! I've missed his rough and tumble play!

LETS GO PENS!!! :cheers:

BettisFan
04-06-2008, 02:02 PM
No matter what we cant lose sight that this is still the season and wins are wins lets win as much as we can, lets kick those flyers buts!

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Crosby is out today, Roberts is in, and Fleury gets the start in goal.

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Crosby is out today, Roberts is in, and Fleury gets the start in goal.

See post 2 above yours, XT. :flap:

I hope we get Ottawa in the 1st round, quite frankly. One of their top guns, Alfredsson, is going to be out for several weeks and that is a HUGE loss to the Sens.

Lord Stiller
04-06-2008, 02:56 PM
pretty tame 1st period except for Hal Gill crushing fools

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
See post 2 above yours, XT. :flap:

I hope we get Ottawa in the 1st round, quite frankly. One of their top guns, Alfredsson, is going to be out for several weeks and that is a HUGE loss to the Sens.

That's what I get for getting distracted before I post :flap:

Anyway, I'd much rather have the Sens too, but if it's the Flyers, no problem - I think we'll beat them too.

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 03:02 PM
pretty tame 1st period except for Hal Gill crushing fools

Flyers are playing more disciplined than they did in the last game. I thought Ruutu was going to poke that puck in, but Biron made a nice save there. Let's hope for a really productive 2nd period for the Pens. :cheers:

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Flyers are playing more disciplined than they did in the last game. I thought Ruutu was going to poke that puck in, but Biron made a nice save there. Let's hope for a really productive 2nd period for the Pens. :cheers:

Both of these teams are playing like it's a scrimmage. No intensity at all out there. I wonder if Therrien's working the refs in the paper yesterday might have something to do with that? I was expecting something along the lines of what's going on with the Sharks and Stars - 105 PIMs in the first period alone, the Sharks lost a guy to a check from behind and Joe Thornton got 19 penalty minutes for jumping and beating up a Stars player.

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Flyers lead 1-0 after 2 on a goal by Scottie Upshall...and I really don't care. I want the Sens!

EDIT: 152 PIMs now in the Sharks-Stars game, and the 2nd period just ended. Wow.

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Hartnell pulling his usual BS. I'd love to see Ruutu punk the sh it out of him in the 3rd. I'm with you XT - I'd rather play the Sens in the 1st round.

Let's just hope for an injury free 3rd. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Pens lose 2-0. And I still don't care. But I do have a message for the Ottawa Senators:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Edman
04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Worthless game.

Still nice for a chance for payback against the Senators for last year.

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Pens lose 2-0. And I still don't care. But I do have a message for the Ottawa Senators:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I don't care either - I'm happy to be playing the Sens, especially without Alfreddson! :thumbsup: I hope the crowd at the Arena gets the Pens fired up and keeps 'em that way throughout the game!

Fleury was great in goal again today - he's been absolutely sick in goal since returning from his high ankle sprain. :cheers:

BettisFan
04-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Its always weak to lose your last game, and the Sens will be a hard matchup but nothing we can do about it.

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
I don't care either - I'm happy to be playing the Sens, especially without Alfreddson! :thumbsup: I hope the crowd at the Arena gets the Pens fired up and keeps 'em that way throughout the game!

Fleury was great in goal again today - he's been absolutely sick in goal since returning from his high ankle sprain. :cheers:

Oh I'm sure they will be fired up! None of us have forgotten what the Sens did to us last season, and you can bet that the team will want to jump on them early since they have Alfredsson and Fisher out of the lineup. Losing Alfredsson is huge, but losing Fisher, their #2 center, might be bigger - he is Mr. Everything for the Sens. He's their best faceoff man, best defensive forward, best penalty killer, a pretty physical player and a good scorer. Without him and Alfredsson, the Sens are in big, big trouble.

Its always weak to lose your last game, and the Sens will be a hard matchup but nothing we can do about it.

Every matchup in the playoffs is a hard matchup - there really aren't many cakewalks. But the Sens are clearly not the same team they were last season. They do not have the quality depth they had last season, whereas the Pens do, and that could turn out to be a big factor in this series. Last year they could throw out Fisher, Mike Comrie and Patrick Eaves - they have none of those guys in the lineup this year. They are also woefully weak in goal - nether Gerber nor Emery are world-beaters, and both have been very inconsistent this season. On defense, they still have quality talent and physical presences in Andrej Meszaros, Anton Volchenkov, Mike Commodore and "Mr. Checking from Behind" Christoph Schubert, but they have no real offensive threat after trading away Joe Corvo. However, the Sens do still have three pretty good forwards in Spezza, Heatley and Cory Stillman, and still can bring plenty of grit on their 3rd and 4th lines with Chris Neil and Martin Lapointe leading the way. But without any secondary scoring and shoddy goaltending, I can't see how the Sens win this series.

Lord Stiller
04-06-2008, 05:39 PM
no mercy!

lets dominate the Sens like they did to us last year :tt02:

Dynasty
04-06-2008, 06:03 PM
i want to dominate them even more! 4-0 sweep em

HometownGal
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I have no doubt that Michel Therrien will be one of the 3 finalists for NHL Coach of the Year and I feel strongly that he should win it hands down. This guy took a team that was basically left for dead by the media (and some fans) after the injuries to Sid and Fleury, but he kept them on the right track and they continued to battle and win a lot of games during that stretch. I am so proud of this team (and especially Geno, Malone, Sykora, Sarge and Conks) for stepping up their game big time and getting the job done! :thumbsup: Therrien deserves the honor and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he gets it. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I have no doubt that Michel Therrien will be one of the 3 finalists for NHL Coach of the Year and I feel strongly that he should win it hands down. This guy took a team that was basically left for dead by the media (and some fans) after the injuries to Sid and Fleury, but he kept them on the right track and they continued to battle and win a lot of games during that stretch. I am so proud of this team (and especially Geno, Malone, Sykora, Sarge and Conks) for stepping up their game big time and getting the job done! :thumbsup: Therrien deserves the honor and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he gets it. :cheers:

Coach T should get Coach of the year and Malkin should be the next Pittsburgh Penguin to win MVP.

SteelCityMan786
04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
vkGXQwJQw3I

A little word about this series.

BettisFan
04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
vkGXQwJQw3I

A little word about this series.

Nice lol and its by eat n park, more like eat n barf! worst food ever but good advertisment!

X-Terminator
04-06-2008, 11:03 PM

Therrien will be one of the finalists, but alas, I don't see him winning it. Bruce Boudreau of the Caps will likely win it, since he took over a team that was next to last in the East on Thanksgiving and turned them into division champs. The Caps are going to take home a lot of hardware, since Ovechkin will more than likely win 4 trophies - Hart (sorry Geno), Art Ross, Rocket Richard and Pearson (sorry again Geno). But of course, they all want the ultimate trophy, and while I do not think they'll win it all, I'm going to be cheering them on every step of the way. :cheers:

EDIT: The Pens-Sens series starts Wednesday night at 7:00 on Versus. I can't wait!

HometownGal
04-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Therrien will be one of the finalists, but alas, I don't see him winning it. Bruce Boudreau of the Caps will likely win it, since he took over a team that was next to last in the East on Thanksgiving and turned them into division champs. The Caps are going to take home a lot of hardware, since Ovechkin will more than likely win 4 trophies - Hart (sorry Geno), Art Ross, Rocket Richard and Pearson (sorry again Geno). But of course, they all want the ultimate trophy, and while I do not think they'll win it all, I'm going to be cheering them on every step of the way. :cheers:

EDIT: The Pens-Sens series starts Wednesday night at 7:00 on Versus. I can't wait!

I still think Therrien has just as good a chance as any to win that Coach of the Year honor with all he accomplished even with a seriously depleted team. I can only hope!

Here is the playoff schedule for the Pens, along with the other playoff teams:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_561054.html

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 10:00 AM
anyone know how the playoff seeding works? i.e. do they re-seed after the first round? If they did then Montreal would play the lowest seed left after round 1 right?

Counselor
04-07-2008, 01:53 PM
anyone know how the playoff seeding works? i.e. do they re-seed after the first round? If they did then Montreal would play the lowest seed left after round 1 right?

Yes, and we would play the second lowest.

SteelCityMan786
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Rb38nxdzB1A

Let's Raise Hell On these Senators(Thought I'd bring up a video from last years playoff.)

X-Terminator
04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
And right on schedule, here comes Bryan Murray to stir the pot:

Ottawa coach questions Penguins' effort against Flyers

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 7, 2008

Ottawa coach Bryan Murray suggested today the Penguins gave less than their best effort in a 2-0 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday.

"I knew what was going on... they wanted to play Ottawa," Murray said. "It was fairly obvious from the first drop of the puck."

The Penguins entered their regular-season finale needing only a win in Philadelphia to secure the Eastern Conference's top playoff seed and an opening-round date against the Flyers.

However, captain Sidney Crosby did not play despite coach Michel Therrien's claim that his previously injured right ankle was healthy, and the Penguins went 0-for-8 on the power play in defeat.

Murray thinks the Penguins, aware they would draw Ottawa with a loss to the Flyers, willingly opted to face a Senators squad that has won only 19 of 42 previous games.

In fact, he suggested the Penguins were ducking the Flyers.

"The physical nature of the game against the Flyers last Wednesday was certainly the first thing I thought of," Murray said. "In a seven-game series, if you don't like way that the Flyers played, you're probably better to go elsewhere.

"They think we're a better team to play against at this moment, which is fine. It's a challenge."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_561113.html?source=rss&feed=8

I have to be honest, guys, and you can go ahead and bash me, but after reading this and other negative stories/comments elsewhere, I'm not as confident about this series as I was yesterday. The Sens even with a depleted lineup are certainly capable of beating the Pens if they are not on top of their game. I still think we'll win, but don't be surprised at an upset.

Lord Stiller
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Bryan Murray is the biggest crybaby in the league (along with Cryer fans). He is always whining about something. He is trying to say something to get his team going.

We can't let the Senators gain any confidence or hope. Their confidence is really low right now. We have to come out of the gates playing aggressive hockey on Wed. No mercy!

BettisFan
04-07-2008, 10:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3333311

preview of the pens vs. sens matchup

HometownGal
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
In fact, he suggested the Penguins were ducking the Flyers.

"The physical nature of the game against the Flyers last Wednesday was certainly the first thing I thought of," Murray said. "In a seven-game series, if you don't like way that the Flyers played, you're probably better to go elsewhere.

First - to Bryan Murray - :upyours: If you even watched last Wednesday's game, you big boob - you would have clearly seen that the Pens played just as physical a game as the Flyers did, if not more. The Pens didn't want to risk anyone getting injured in the last game of the season and headed into the playoffs so they slacked off a bit - sounds like a smart strategy to me.

I have to be honest, guys, and you can go ahead and bash me, but after reading this and other negative stories/comments elsewhere, I'm not as confident about this series as I was yesterday. The Sens even with a depleted lineup are certainly capable of beating the Pens if they are not on top of their game. I still think we'll win, but don't be surprised at an upset

Don't believe what you read on blogs and in the media, XT. :dang: Have a little faith in a team that was left for dead when Sid went down and came back to win the Atlantic Division and the second seed in the conference. That speaks volumes about the character of these Pens and their insatiable hunger and desire to win.

I don't take any team lightly and I don't believe the Pens will either. They need to come out of the gate on fire tomorrow night and play with that same intensity throughout this series. They know what's at stake here and what needs to be done to be successful in this series. I believe Therrien and Yeo will have them totally prepared. I'm going to believe in them, cheer them on and hope they take this series and move on to the next, but if for whatever reason they don't, this is a fairly young and extremely talented hockey team that is going to be playoff bound for a lot of years and we as fans are damned fortunate. :thumbsup:

Counselor
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM
This is Murray's way of trying to motivate his team. The fact is, neither team on Sunday was particularly inspired.

The Pens won't be taking the Sen's lightly, and there is the revenge factor as well (for last year). I think our boys will be just fine.

As for the flyers----they didn't want to play us either. They got their wish in playing the caps, lets see if its a "becareful what you wish for" situation. That should be an interesting series as well-----in fact I think all of the Eastern Conference match-ups should be fun.

lilyoder6
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
just resting up ppl for the series... smart move and he's mad b/c they have to play the pens

rbryan
04-08-2008, 01:42 PM
The days of the Pens being a finesse team thats afraid to mix it up are in the past.

Lets see how physical they think the Pens are this time next week. Murray knows they're about to get thier ass kicked and is grasping at straws to motivate his team. If he was smart he would have kept his thoughts in house because this only serves to motivate the Pens.

X-Terminator
04-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Don't believe what you read on blogs and in the media, XT. :dang: Have a little faith in a team that was left for dead when Sid went down and came back to win the Atlantic Division and the second seed in the conference. That speaks volumes about the character of these Pens and their insatiable hunger and desire to win.

I don't take any team lightly and I don't believe the Pens will either. They need to come out of the gate on fire tomorrow night and play with that same intensity throughout this series. They know what's at stake here and what needs to be done to be successful in this series. I believe Therrien and Yeo will have them totally prepared. I'm going to believe in them, cheer them on and hope they take this series and move on to the next, but if for whatever reason they don't, this is a fairly young and extremely talented hockey team that is going to be playoff bound for a lot of years and we as fans are damned fortunate. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you're right, and as of right now, I'm cutting myself off from reading those stories/blogs/message boards until either the Pens are eliminated or the playoffs are over. I had a good feeling going into this series, and I don't want anything putting doubt in my head.

Thanks for the positive vibes - I've gotten that confidence back that we're going to win this series, and now I'm ready for them to drop the puck.

LET'S GO PENS!!!! :cheers::tt02:

X-Terminator
04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
The days of the Pens being a finesse team thats afraid to mix it up are in the past.

Lets see how physical they think the Pens are this time next week. Murray knows they're about to get thier ass kicked and is grasping at straws to motivate his team. If he was smart he would have kept his thoughts in house because this only serves to motivate the Pens.

I told HTG yesterday that I think you're going to see a side of the Penguins that nobody's seen before, and that they are going to bring the pain early and often. Nobody on this team has backed down from anyone this year, least of all the Killadelphia Cryers, and I don't expect them to back down from anyone on the Sens. I think all he did was wake the sleeping giant, and his words are going to come back to bite him in the ass.

HometownGal
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah, you're right, and as of right now, I'm cutting myself off from reading those stories/blogs/message boards until either the Pens are eliminated or the playoffs are over. I had a good feeling going into this series, and I don't want anything putting doubt in my head.

Thanks for the positive vibes - I've gotten that confidence back that we're going to win this series, and now I'm ready for them to drop the puck.

LET'S GO PENS!!!! :cheers::tt02:

Add in that the Pens have a healthy team going into tomorrow night's game (though I just heard on KDKA that Roberts is a game time decision) and the Sens have two of their top forwards out. We also have a red-hot goaltender in Fleury. Advantage: Pens. :thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
04-09-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm so excited for tonight! I hope we crush the Sens and any hope they have left :cheers:

Here are the lines that they practiced in yesterday and what will likely be for game 1:

Dupuis - Crosby - Hossa
Malone - Malkin - Sykora
Ruutu - Staal - Kennedy
Roberts - Talbot - Laraque

Orpik - Gonchar
Gill - Letang
Scuderi - Whitney

I'm a little surprised to see Kennedy in there. He hasn't played much lately. He is fast but not physical. I would rather see Adam Hall center the 4th line and Talbot on the wing of the 3rd line. Hall is good defensively and good at faceoffs. Oh well, im sure he'll get his chance in another game

I really like our D pairings

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 07:44 AM
The epitome of a douchebag:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08100/871573-61.stm

Ottawa writer urges Senators to injure Penguins stars

Wednesday, April 09, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins dismissed calls from a newspaper writer from Ottawa to intentionally injure their first-round playoff opponents, star center Sidney Crosby in particular.

Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun wrote yesterday that forwards Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marian Hossa and Petr Sykora and defenseman Sergei Gonchar "have to be targeted."

Of Crosby, who missed 28 games the second half of the season because of a high ankle sprain, Brennan wrote, "Crosby's got a bad RIGHT ankle? How will it stand up to a two-hander? The Senators have to find out." He urged an Ottawa player to "emerge as a modern-day Bobby Clarke" and recalled the 1972 Summit Series, when Clarke slashed the ankle of Valeri Kharlamov, sidelining the Russian star.

"They can write whatever they want, but, if somebody was to do that to the best player in the world, they'll be suspended the rest of the playoffs," Penguins winger and enforcer Georges Laraque said. "That writer is just stupid. I've never heard anything so stupid."

Crosby, asked about the article, said without missing a beat, "It's my left."

He didn't seem worried.

"It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened," Crosby said. "Teams obviously read injury reports. If a guy's got a bad shoulder, I'm sure you're not going to ease up and not hit him. That's typical. Whether or not they deliberately do it, who knows? But that's why refs are out there, to police the game and make sure that stuff doesn't happen."

Counselor
04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
"They can write whatever they want, but, if somebody was to do that to the best player in the world, they'll be suspended the rest of the playoffs," Penguins winger and enforcer Georges Laraque said. "That writer is just stupid. I've never heard anything so stupid."

I love Laraque. :cheers:

Crosby, asked about the article, said without missing a beat, "It's my left."

. . .And Sid. :sofunny:

I'm getting really psyched for the game tonight!!!! I got tix last minute yesterday. Who else is going?

lilyoder6
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
thats is preety funy from what sid said.. going to be a good game 2 nite.. lets go pens!!

X-Terminator
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
First of all, no Senator would dare deliberately attempt to injure any of our players. And if by the odd chance they did, then Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley are fair game, as far as I'm concerned. Eye for an eye. Secondly, it shows that the writer (and by proxy, the fans) doesn't have much faith in his team's chances of winning the series straight up, so taking out our best players is the only chance they have. I also find it pretty amazing that this writer would pen this article less than a week after Daniel Alfredsson was taken out by a blind-side hit by Toronto's Mark Bell, a hit that many Ottawa writers, fans and players spoke out against.

I will wait with baited breath for an "apology" article or "it was a joke" from the writer tomorrow, especially if the Pens beat the Sens handily tonight. "Joke" would be apropos, because the writer is a joke.

X-Terminator
04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm getting really psyched for the game tonight!!!! I got tix last minute yesterday. Who else is going?

Lucky you! I would love to go, but HTG and I could not afford the playoff ticket package, so we gave it up, and the gate price for them is outrageous. So we will be watching and cheering them on from the comfort of our respective living rooms.

Counselor
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Lucky you! I would love to go, but HTG and I could not afford the playoff ticket package, so we gave it up, and the gate price for them is outrageous. So we will be watching and cheering them on from the comfort of our respective living rooms.

It is outrageous!!!---I justified the expense as my brother's birthday present. I'll cheer loudly for you guys too! :cheer:

Edman
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Ah, the plot thickens.

Losing to the Sens last year is reason enough to get up for this series, but this makes it better.

I'm sick of people talking of the Pens as being a finesse team. I hope they go out and sweep these clowns.

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Secondly, it shows that the writer (and by proxy, the fans) doesn't have much faith in his team's chances of winning the series straight up, so taking out our best players is the only chance they have.

First we have Bryan the Buffoon making his snide little remarks and now this media moron penning his garbage. Me thinks Murray, the media and their fans are feeling a little skeered of the Pens and their talent. If anything - crap like this will only fire the Pens up more.

Here's to knocking the Sens teeth down their throats. :cheers::banana:

http://www.chuckthomas.com/pen99tow.jpg

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
This is weak i dont get versus here, AH!!

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Most of the media kings are picking the Pens in either 5 or 7 games. Let's prove 'em right! :cheers::thumbsup:

Game time is here.

LETS GO PENS!!! :banana::banana:

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Pens up 1-0 on a Gary Roberts goal! WOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :banana:

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Sykora shoots and scores!!!! Great pass by Geno!

2-0 Pens :banana:

Edman
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
End of the first period. Pens 2, Senators 0. Penguins being the more physical team so far.

What a difference a year makes. But it's not over yet. Keep up the pressure, Penguins!:cheer:

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
There we go baby great start, please keep us updated i dont have the game here, thanks!

GO PENS!

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
There we go baby great start, please keep us updated i dont have the game here, thanks!

GO PENS!

It's on FSN, BettisFan. You're in the Burgh, right? If you have cable service or a dish, you should be able to watch the game.

Edman
04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Direct TV- Channel 628.

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Oh i got it on the pens site, no Hometowngal unfortunately i move back this june, We just bought our new house!

Wow tons of shots tonight

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
ouch! Volchenkov just got hurt preaty bad

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Fluery just wont let anything past him! This is great!

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Anyone hear anything on Volchenkov? He is the only Sen that I like.

Sens are going to come out firing with both barrels in the 3rd. If the Pens keep up the intensity they've shown in the first 2, this will be a W.

Damn it - 5 on 3 PP for the Sens.

Edman
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Evgeni Malkin with the GOAL!

3-0 Penguins!

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
GOALLLLLLLLLLLL

Malkin
3-0 baby!
We got this!

Edman
04-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah, some finesse team the Penguins are...

The Duke
04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
roberts again!!

great domination tonight

Petesburgh66
04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
First we have Bryan the Buffoon making his snide little remarks and now this media moron penning his garbage. Me thinks Murray, the media and their fans are feeling a little skeered of the Pens and their talent. If anything - crap like this will only fire the Pens up more.

Ignore Sylvester the cat. He has no class, including their Swedish fairy of a captain and their bandwagon fans.

I am going to enjoy watching the destruction of the Senators in this series. Good to see Gary Roberts doing what he does best, continuing to be a thorn in Ottawa's ass. lol 23 points in 24 playoff games for him against Ottawa.

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Goallllllll

4-0!! We won! Yea! (12 secs left)

Edman
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Scary Gary is the freaking man. Glad we have him.

He's gotten into the heads of the Senators.

BettisFan
04-09-2008, 08:55 PM
great game! Great start to the series.

Lord Stiller
04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
haha that was awesome, Roberts is the man!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
04-09-2008, 09:18 PM
haha that was awesome, Roberts is the man!!!!!!!!!

He certainly is. One tough, badass mo-fo! :thumbsup:

Great game by the Pens and once again, Fleury was phenomenal in the net. The Pens sent a very strong message to Cryin' Bryan and the Sens tonight.:jammin:

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

SteelCityMan786
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Another win. 1 Down, 3 To go.

X-Terminator
04-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Scary Gary is the freaking man. Glad we have him.

He's gotten into the heads of the Senators.

Yes he did - tonight, anyway. The guy has killed the Sens so many times over the years that they and their fans must have nightmares about him. That's why they were so upset when the Sens didn't acquire him at the deadline last year or sign him last offseason - they wanted him on their side for a change.

And as you said, so much for them being a finesse team. Not only did they match the Sens hit for hit, several times they came to each other's defense, including Ryan Whitney taking on and beating Wade Redden in a fight (:jawdrop:) after he got into it with Sid. They've done it all year long. They have proven that they are more than capable of beating a team any way they want.

He certainly is. One tough, badass mo-fo! :thumbsup:

Great game by the Pens and once again, Fleury was phenomenal in the net. The Pens sent a very strong message to Cryin' Bryan and the Sens tonight.:jammin:

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

The highlight of my night wasn't Fleury's performance, or Roberts getting 2 goals then dummying the Sens at the end, or the team's overall dominant performance from start to finish. No, it was the "Cryin' Bryan" chant in the 3rd period - I laughed the entire way to work :sofunny: The crowd was great all night long, so props to them! :thumbsup:

Hopefully now they'll carry this performance over to Game 2 and not let the Sens steal a win in our building.

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!

OneForTheToe
04-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Fluery was definately the highlight for me. His good play is the missing piece. Now, please control the rebounds .:nervous::hope:

X-Terminator
04-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Fluery was definately the highlight for me. His good play is the missing piece. Now, please control the rebounds .:nervous::hope:

I think he's done a good job of controlling his rebounds since coming back from the injury, sans a couple of games early in his return. As a result, he's not allowing too many second or third chances in the slot, and when he has left them out there, the D is clearing them away. Where he makes me nervous is when he tries to play the puck - Ty Conklin he ain't in that regard!

rbryan
04-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Roberts missing all the time with the injury is going to turn out to be a blessing in disguise IMO. With fresh legs, the sky is the limit for him.

He looked like a grown man playing against kids last night.

stlrtruck
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
What's sad is I knew the game was on last night, my wife and son had left for the movies, and I was set to enjoy the game and then my 3 year old tells me, "I want to go to Chuck E. Cheese" actually it sounded more like, "I want to go to shuck e cheeses"

So by the time I got home, and finished some other things I was going to do immediately after dinner - the game was over. However, I was able to catch some of the highlights.

HometownGal
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
I think he's done a good job of controlling his rebounds since coming back from the injury, sans a couple of games early in his return. As a result, he's not allowing too many second or third chances in the slot, and when he has left them out there, the D is clearing them away. Where he makes me nervous is when he tries to play the puck - Ty Conklin he ain't in that regard!

Fleury has gotten much better on the rebounds this season. I also get nervous when he plays the puck and hopefully Meloche will work with him on that in practice.

Very good read on Roberts. He continues to amaze me at how tough he is for a 41 year old guy! :thumbsup:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08101/872091-87.stm

Roberts tortures Senators again

Thursday, April 10, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Everybody in the old building knew what was up, from Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux in the owners' box to Michel Therrien behind the bench to Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury on the ice. It was absolutely critical that the Penguins start fast last night against the Ottawa Senators in Game 1 of their playoff series at Mellon Arena. The Senators are a reeling hockey club, desperately trying to find their way without top injured players Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Fisher. If only they could take the Penguins' best shot early, if only they could find a way to steal the first game, if only they could find a reason to believe they have a chance against a much better, much deeper team in a series that has sweep written all over it ...

The Penguins didn't let it happen.

The game started exactly according to plan.

Well, almost.

It's safe to say few in the Penguins' dressing room predicted Gary Roberts would score the first goal just 68 seconds in to show the way to a 4-0 win. Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, maybe. Marian Hossa or Petr Sykora, who did get the killer second goal at 12:28 of the first period. But Roberts? Only Brooks Orpik seemed like a longer shot.

But there Roberts was, playing just his second game since Dec. 29 after missing 43 because of a broken left leg and bad high ankle sprain, injuries that -- let's be serious -- should have been too much for an old man to overcome. He looked as if he had Crosby's energy when he did a little man-to-man combat with Ottawa defenseman Wade Redden behind the Senators' net, nudging the puck to linemate Georges Laraque, who threw it toward the front of the net. He looked every bit as young as Malkin when he hurried to jump on that loose puck and flip a backhander past goaltender Martin Gerber.

"He didn't look like a man 41, that's for sure," Therrien would say afterward.

At that moment, as Gerber was fishing the puck out of his net, there probably were happier people in America than Roberts, but, please, don't ask me to name one.

"It sure is fun to contribute again," Roberts said.

The man had to have doubts that he would play last night let alone have such an impact, getting not just the first goal but also the fourth on the power play in the final two minutes. "Sure, I had doubts," he said. In late-February, not long after he skated to test his ankle and crumpled to the ice, he spoke openly of facing a tough battle to make it back. Crosby, not even half his age, came back from his high ankle sprain and had a setback. The same thing happened to Max Talbot.

How was an elderly gent supposed to do it? Even one who works out as maniacally as Roberts?

"He works so hard that you hope good things happen to him," Therrien said. "All of us are very, very happy for him."

Happy?

How about delirious at the thought of the damage Roberts might do once he gets his legs under him?

"He's got that thing in his eyes," Talbot said. "I don't know what it is, but it's pretty scary."

Roberts had hoped to play in the final five regular-season games but made it back for just the final one against the Philadelphia Flyers Sunday. Although his ankle held up after 12 minutes, 31 seconds of ice time, there was no guarantee that Therrien would use him in the playoffs.

Not that it was a tough decision to scratch young Jeff Taffe instead.

"It wasn't tough at all," Therrien said, "because Gary Roberts knows the importance of the playoffs."

In no particular order, Therrien loves the toughness that Roberts brings to the Penguins, his playoff experience -- this was his 120th postseason match -- and the fact he tortures the Senators.

Earlier in the decade, Roberts played with the Toronto Maple Leafs and was huge in eliminating the Senators in three different series with 10 goals and seven assists in 17 games. A year ago, when the Senators took the Penguins out of the playoffs in five games, Roberts was the prime reason the Penguins won Game 2 with a goal and an assist.

Now, Roberts has the Senators running scared again.

"It's still going to be a process for me. It's not going to happen overnight," Roberts said.

"I need to get my conditioning to the point where I can contribute on a consistent basis. I didn't have a lot of jump in my legs tonight. I was just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

"I'm just hoping I feel as good tomorrow as I do right now."

The Senators are hoping otherwise.

They paid Roberts the ultimate hockey compliment by trying to beat the heck out of him in the final few seconds.

You know, sending a message to Roberts before Game 2 tomorrow night.

"I was at the bottom of the pile, so I don't know who was punching me," he said. "I just knew I was getting hit a lot."

Roberts' puffy right eyelid showed it.

It looked as if it were about to explode.

Roberts clearly loved it.

How good it must have felt to have battle scars again.

lilyoder6
04-10-2008, 09:34 AM
it was a good game last night.. i thought it was funny when the goalie put the stick in between the guys legs and that started a lil fight.. but good way to start out the playoffs

X-Terminator
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Great article on Roberts, HTG. When he was injured back in December, I really thought his season, and possibly career, might be over. I should have thought otherwise, because he is so driven and is tougher than most of the young guys in the league. The man came back from a career-threatening neck injury to play at a high level, so I should have figured a broken leg/high ankle sprain wouldn't keep the old man down. He's a throwback to when hockey was a real man's game, back in the 80s when Calgary and Edmonton would literally beat the hell out of each other every time they played in the Battle of Alberta. I'm definitely glad he plays for us, that's for sure!

Counselor
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Great game last night.
Asside from the obvious, there were some other key performances----
Despite being held pointless, Crosby looked good--flying all over the ice--no denying the guy hustles. At one point when he skated his butt off to get prevent an icing the guy two rows down said at the top of his voice: "Are you freaking kidding me, the greatest player in the world hustling like that? unbelieveable!" And that sums it up.

Staal looked good too----he was all over the ice and great on the penalty kills.

In general the defense looked great. Tons of blocked shots. Gill is a force back there.

Malkin looks more like Lemieux everyday----on the Sykora goal, he held the puck for what seemed like hours and just paralysed the defense and the goalie, ala "la Magnifique"

Looking forward to tomorrow!!!
1 down 15 to go!

Lord Stiller
04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Did you see on the post gazette they also had an article about Sydor not being happy about being scratched

well, too bad! Letang, Whitney, Orpik, and Gill all played a great game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also impressed with Tyler Kennedy

HometownGal
04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Penguins playoff rally set for Friday at 4:45 PM. :thumbsup: Story below.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=359983

Downtown Rally Set For Friday Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 10, 2008, 11:20 AM EDT

Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato and Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl will host a Pittsburgh Penguins playoff rally on Friday at 4:45 p.m. in the Courtyard at the Allegheny Courthouse in honor of the opening round playoff series against the Ottawa Senators.

Music group Kardaz, known for their local sports anthems, will perform a new version of, ?The Mighty Guins,? and Penguins mascot, Iceburgh, will be on hand to greet fans, help distribute Penguins T-shirts and build on the excitement from Wednesday?s 4-0 victory.

For more information about the rally, please visit the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership Web site at www.downtownpittsburgh.com and click on the box with the Penguins logo.

BettisFan
04-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato and Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl will host a Pittsburgh Penguins playoff rally on Friday at 4:45 p.m. in the Courtyard at the Allegheny Courthouse in honor of the opening round playoff series against the Ottawa Senators.

Music group Kardaz, known for their local sports anthems, will perform a new version of, ?The Mighty Guins,? and Penguins mascot, Iceburgh, will be on hand to greet fans, help distribute Penguins T-shirts and build on the excitement from Wednesday?s 4-0 victory.

For more information about the rally, please visit the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership Web site at www.downtownpittsburgh.com and click on the box with the Penguins logo.

i wish i could be there so bad!!! AHH, Well my cousin (who has season tickets let me say) will be there for me!

X-Terminator
04-10-2008, 07:48 PM

That sounds awesome, but unfortunately we're supposed to get rain and thunderstorms all afternoon, so it may end up being canceled. I may have taken it in since I'm going to the Pirates game, but that's likely going to be rained out too. :(

HometownGal
04-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Game time is less than 2 hours away.

C'mon Pens - keep on puttin' a beating on those Sens!

LETS GO PENS! :banana::jammin::thumbsup:

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Go pens lets get one step closer to the cup!

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 06:41 PM
pens scored!!!! 1-0

HometownGal
04-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Pens laid 20 shots on goal in the 1st and held the Sens to 8 shots. Nice goal by Gonchar! :thumbsup:

Let's put 'em away in the 2nd! :cheers:

LETS GO PENS! :jammin:

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
2-0 !!! wooohooo

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
wow just by how this game is going and last did we have this series i think this is our year!!!

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 07:31 PM
3-1 us

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 07:42 PM
shoot cens scored 3-2

X-Terminator
04-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Now I'm getting a bit nervous. This is looking a little bit like the last regular season home game against the Sens when the Pens had a 3-0 lead halfway through the 2nd period and lost the game in OT. Let's hope they come out, shut the Sens down and seal this win - it would be a damn shame if they ultimately lost the game after being so dominant in the first 35 minutes.

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 08:29 PM
great its 3-3 6 minutes left int he third

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
3-3 2:45 left

X-Terminator
04-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Now I'm getting a bit nervous. This is looking a little bit like the last regular season home game against the Sens when the Pens had a 3-0 lead halfway through the 2nd period and lost the game in OT. Let's hope they come out, shut the Sens down and seal this win - it would be a damn shame if they ultimately lost the game after being so dominant in the first 35 minutes.

Not tonight, baby! Pens win 5-3 and have a 2-0 lead! Ryan Malone with the game-winner! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!! :tt02::tt02::tt02:

SteelCityMan786
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
SIT DOWN SENS!!!!!

BettisFan
04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
There we go pens!!!!! WOOOHOOOO

HometownGal
04-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Not tonight, baby! Pens win 5-3 and have a 2-0 lead! Ryan Malone with the game-winner! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!! :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Do you know that black and gold bracelet I wear to all of the games we go to? Remember - I forgot to wear it when we were at the game when the Pens had that 3-0 lead and lost 4-3 in OT? Tonight, when the Sens tied the game up, I went in and put it on and the Pens came through! I know that sounds goofy, but the power of the bracelet prevailed! :jammin:

Way to take back control of the game Pens! I never stopped believing that they would come out on top - they weren't going to be denied that win! :banana: Gotta love Petr Sykora - he was one of the BEST acquisitions we've made in all of the years I've been a Pens fan (early 70's).

Props as always to Ray Shero for knowing exactly what this team needed and which players to snare before the deadline to fulfill those needs. :thumbsup:

Gerber played one helluva game to his credit. He stopped 50 shots which is just sick. I'd love to take two in Ottawa but I have a gut we're going to split and win it back here in the Burgh in Game #5.

OneForTheToe
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I know it is so easy to over analyze one game, but, IMM, this was really a turning point game in this series. If the Senators come out of the burgh 1-1 they are really feeling pretty good. Now we go to Ottawa and they are down 2, having had their goalie play a very good game (which he probably won't be able to do for a series), and I now expect his series over in five games.

X-Terminator
04-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Do you know that black and gold bracelet I wear to all of the games we go to? Remember - I forgot to wear it when we were at the game when the Pens had that 3-0 lead and lost 4-3 in OT? Tonight, when the Sens tied the game up, I went in and put it on and the Pens came through! I know that sounds goofy, but the power of the bracelet prevailed! :jammin:

Way to take back control of the game Pens! I never stopped believing that they would come out on top - they weren't going to be denied that win! :banana: Gotta love Petr Sykora - he was one of the BEST acquisitions we've made in all of the years I've been a Pens fan (early 70's).

Props as always to Ray Shero for knowing exactly what this team needed and which players to snare before the deadline to fulfill those needs. :thumbsup:

Gerber played one helluva game to his credit. He stopped 50 shots which is just sick. I'd love to take two in Ottawa but I have a gut we're going to split and win it back here in the Burgh in Game #5.

I now believe in the power of the bracelet - by all means, keep wearing it! :thumbsup: I also felt like we were going to pull it out, even after Ottawa tied the game, because the way the Pens kept coming at them in waves most of the night, they were going to find a way to win. To tell you the truth, I was not expecting that kind of performance out of them - I felt Ottawa would come out as the more desperate team. But the Pens took it to them from the start, and except for about a 10 minute stretch at the end of the 2nd period into the third, they really dominated the game. 54 shots on goal, 20 in each of the first 2 periods. Unbelievable. And what else can be said about Sykora? The guy has been great all season long, and the chemistry he has with Malone and especially Malkin is just magical. He is without a doubt the best FA signing the Pens have made since Sergei Gonchar.

Definite props to Martin Gerber. What a performance he turned in tonight to keep the Sens in the game and gave them a chance to chip away at the lead. The game should have been over in the first period, but he stood on his head. He's actually played well ever since the shaky first period on Wednesday night, and it took some pretty plays to beat him.

Now it's on to Ottawa for Game 3, and I'm also expecting a split, though I'd like to see the Pens take Game 3 rather than have to win Game 4 to gain the 3-1 edge. The series is far, far from over, but so far, so very good!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!! :tt02::cheers:

Edman
04-12-2008, 01:24 AM
The Sens put up a bigger fight than the first game, but we still managed to pull it out. But it's okay. You're not going to win games 4-0 all the time. Just win. That's all. Just win.

Lord Stiller
04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Game 3 is gonna be a battle

Letang had a really poor game, he might be scratched for Sydor

also maybe scratch Kennedy for Adam Hall or Taffe

SteelCityMan786
04-12-2008, 10:53 AM

I still hear journey playing in our houses. It's that song called Don't Stop Belevin. You and I know a lot about that don't we? :cheers:

Welcome aboard the believer train to all who have doubted and believe in the Penguins chances to win it all.

Nice game by the Penguins last night despite the 3 goal meltdown. Gerber baby is probably stuck in his crib this morning think what the hell hit him in Pittsburgh. Time to finish this series of in Ottawa.

HometownGal
04-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I still hear journey playing in our houses. It's that song called Don't Stop Belevin. You and I know a lot about that don't we? :cheers:

Welcome aboard the believer train to all who have doubted and believe in the Penguins chances to win it all.

Nice game by the Penguins last night despite the 3 goal meltdown. Gerber baby is probably stuck in his crib this morning think what the hell hit him in Pittsburgh. Time to finish this series of in Ottawa.

Yes we do know all about believing Matt! :cheers: When Sid went down, we never gave up on this team, though others did, and our boys sure came through and continue to come through, don't they? :thumbsup:

Gerber baby had better watch his ass in future games. He elbowed Geno pretty hard as he tripped into the net and has been a little overzealous using that stick as a weapon. I've seen Fleury do it too, quite honestly, but he isn't as obvious about it. I can't help but give Gerber props for his performance last night. Without his standup play in the net, the Pens would have scored 10-15 goals the way it was going!

My gut tells me we are going to split in Ottawa and win the series back home in Pittsburgh in Game #5. Of course I won't be disappointed at all if my gut is wrong and we sweep 'em and win the series on their ice! :banana: I expect the Sens to come out fighting and of course, they have the man advantage with the crowd. I expect a lot of noise out of the Sens fans.

LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
04-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Yes we do know all about believing Matt! :cheers: When Sid went down, we never gave up on this team, though others did, and our boys sure came through and continue to come through, don't they? :thumbsup:

Gerber baby had better watch his ass in future games. He elbowed Geno pretty hard as he tripped into the net and has been a little overzealous using that stick as a weapon. I've seen Fleury do it too, quite honestly, but he isn't as obvious about it. I can't help but give Gerber props for his performance last night. Without his standup play in the net, the Pens would have scored 10-15 goals the way it was going!

My gut tells me we are going to split in Ottawa and win the series back home in Pittsburgh in Game #5. Of course I won't be disappointed at all if my gut is wrong and we sweep 'em and win the series on their ice! :banana: I expect the Sens to come out fighting and of course, they have the man advantage with the crowd. I expect a lot of noise out of the Sens fans.

LETS GO PENS!

I'm pretty sure of that. :cheers:

If we come out with at least a 3-1 lead, this series is over on April 19th. Pittsburgh does not lose with something like this on the line. It just won't happen.

Gerber definantly played a decent game after we gave him a 3-0 beat down in the 2nd. However, I don't think that is going to get Ottawa anywhere in games 3 or 4. If Pittsburgh gets off to that fast of a start in Ottawa during both games, it's very likely that after Wednesday, the Penguins are going to be game planning for the Semi-Finals come Thursday morning.

lilyoder6
04-12-2008, 06:15 PM
pens get a good weekend rest and come back on mon and whoop some ass again..

OneForTheToe
04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
pens get a good weekend rest and come back on mon and whoop some ass again..

Actually I was hoping we would play today. I think it is Ottawa that needs the rest. When you have your foot on the throat of your opponent, sooner to the next game is better, IMO. :tt03:

HometownGal
04-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Actually I was hoping we would play today. I think it is Ottawa that needs the rest. When you have your foot on the throat of your opponent, sooner to the next game is better, IMO. :tt03:

I agree, OFTT. I think while the intensity is high and the momentum is swinging in your favor, it is best to keep that on the upswing by getting out there and playing. :thumbsup:

Flyers just beat the Caps 2-0. Biron looked good in goal. Thank God AO didn't score - I love the guy, but I am SICK to death of hearing about him 24/7. :banging:

BettisFan
04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
lets take the series to 3-0 baby!

OneForTheToe
04-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I agree, OFTT.
Flyers just beat the Caps 2-0. Biron looked good in goal. Thank God AO didn't score - I love the guy, but I am SICK to death of hearing about him 24/7. :banging:

No doubt ... if I hear one more word about Ovechkin ......... :bash:

He is great and all ....... and as much as I would love to see Crosby and Ovechkin go at it in a playoff series, the Ovechkin slurping all of a sudden around the league is gives me a headache. Of course, the alternative is to root for Philly.:ididwhat:

BettisFan
04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Ovechkin was weak today, Crosby is so much better than him.

HometownGal
04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Ovechkin was weak today, Crosby is so much better than him.

AO has a tremendous amount of talent, but I agree that Sid is a better all-around player. The Pens pretty much have neutralized AO when the two teams have met in the past.

It's possible that little jagoff Spezza may not play tomorrow night. :thumbsup: Out of all of the Sens players, I dislike him most of all.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=360333

Spezza misses practice with leg injury but could play Monday in Game 3

Canadian Press Apr 13, 2008, 5:00 PM EDT

OTTAWA - The dark cloud that has hovered over the Ottawa Senators since mid-season continues to bring the team down with Jason Spezza possibly the latest casualty.

The star centre missed practice Sunday, still feeling the effects of a leg injury sustained Friday night. It's not clear whether he'll suit up for Game 3 against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday (7 p.m. ET) with his team in dire need of a season-saving victory.

"We'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out," Senators head coach Bryan Murray said Sunday after practice. "He couldn't skate today, he felt, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Spezza did not speak to the media Sunday. The previous day, when he also didn't skate in an optional practice, he told reporters he thought he would probably be back for Game 3. Already without star captain Daniel Alfredsson as well as centres Mike Fisher and Chris Kelly, Ottawa can ill-afford yet another crippling injury after losing the opening two games of their best-of-seven, Eastern Conference quarter-final series.

"We really don't look at that," said rugged Senators winger Chris Neil. "We'll have 20 guys who will suit up for tomorrow' game and whoever it is, that's who it is. We aren't feeling sorry for ourselves at all. That's just an opportunity for other guys to step up and do their job.

"Who knows who will play tomorrow but we'll be raring to go in front of our own fans."

Those fans don't appear to be quite as excited this spring. A year ago Senators flags could be seen on nearly every car in the city, a tremendous buzz enveloping the Canadian capital because there was a feeling the team was in for a long run. The fans did indeed get that long run. Whether it's because the team has been in decline for half a season or because of the injuries to key players, there isn't the same kind of anticipation here this time around. In fact, there aren't nearly as many flags on cars.

Whether or not there's apathy among Ottawa fans, Murray hopes the crowd at Scotiabank Place on Monday night can help rev up his team.

"I hope they give us a boost," said Murray. "I looked at all the games around the league the last couple of days and the towel waving and all the things that went on, they (the fans) don't play the game but they do give emotion and hopefully that would lift the players. ... We hope that they'll help."

The Senators do indeed need a boost from their fans because they look like a tired team, both mentally and physically. In fact, both teams from last year's Stanley Cup final are on the ropes right now, the Anaheim Ducks also down 2-0 in their first-round series with the Dallas Stars. Are both teams feeling the effects of last year's long playoff and short off-season?

"It is a grind," said Murray. "The Ducks have got Corey Perry out and he's a big part of what they do.

"Injuries, mentally and physically catch up to you if you play a lot of games year after year. Teams have done it in the past but I don't know that many teams have the depth to carry on when they have guys that are tired or hurt or whatever it may be. They may bounce back, they certainly have the ability to do so, but it seemed last night like they just couldn't keep up the pace throughout the whole game."

Murray was talking about the Ducks, but he may just as well have been talking about his team. The Senators may show their nay-sayers wrong Monday night with a big win, but right now Ottawa looks like beat-up boxer and that needs his trainer to stop the fight.

Notes: If Spezza can't play, Murray said rookie centre Alexander Nikulin would step into his spot in the lineup. The 22-year-old Russian was recalled from AHL Binghamton and skated Sunday in practice. He had 14 goals and 36 assists in 71 games with the Baby Sens this season ... Antoine Vermette centred the team's top line between Dany Heatley and Cory Stillman at practice, the same unit that Murray threw together in the third period of Friday's 5-3 loss ... Murray on Heatley, who has yet to score in this series: "I think his effort is fine, I think the opportunity to get shots on goal hasn't come to him. The end result is that he hasn't been able to get points or goals. We know that Dany is one of those people for us that has to bring that to the table." ... The Penguins skated in Pittsburgh on Sunday before flying to Ottawa.

HometownGal
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
No doubt ... if I hear one more word about Ovechkin ......... :bash:

He is great and all ....... and as much as I would love to see Crosby and Ovechkin go at it in a playoff series, the Ovechkin slurping all of a sudden around the league is gives me a headache. Of course, the alternative is to root for Philly.:ididwhat:

I think I'd rather play the Caps, as AO is one of their few scoring threats.

On the other hand, though, I have little doubt that the Pens could take the Flyers in 6. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Habs and Bruins in OT and the Devils just beat the Rags 4-3 in OT!

I hated like hell pulling for the Devs, but I'd rather play them than the Rags right now, as they've been on a hot streak since a few weeks before the regular season ended and we couldn't get a win at MSG this season. Besides - we've chased Brodeur out of the net twice this season and as phenomenal a goalie as Brodeur is, I like our chances against him.

HometownGal
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Bruins beat Habs in OT - 2-1! :thumbsup: I so want to see those arrogant schmucks lose to the Bruins.

SteelCityMan786
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Bruins beat Habs in OT - 2-1! :thumbsup: I so want to see those arrogant schmucks lose to the Bruins.

Uncle Daddy could leave to. Unfortunately they're lengthening their series with the Rags.

lilyoder6
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
i agree as well that i wish we would play today to keep the momentum going.. but sometmes after a hard hitting game u need a rest.. so it's like a win-lose situation..

X-Terminator
04-13-2008, 11:12 PM
AO has a tremendous amount of talent, but I agree that Sid is a better all-around player. The Pens pretty much have neutralized AO when the two teams have met in the past.

It's possible that little jagoff Spezza may not play tomorrow night. :thumbsup: Out of all of the Sens players, I dislike him most of all.

I don't care what the Sens say to try and spin it, but if Spezza can't go, that is a crushing loss for them. That means Heatley (whom I really like, BTW) will have both of his linemates out of the lineup, and the Sens will be without 3 of their starting centers. I don't know anything about this Nikulin, but I can't see how he's going to make much of a difference. I have no doubt that the Sens will come out fired up with both barrels blazing, Spezza or no Spezza, but if the Pens can weather the early storm and/or get an early goal or two, they should be able to pull it out. You never know, though - wounded teams with their backs against the wall can sometimes be very dangerous. I hope the Pens do not go into this game overconfident, or the Sens just may be able to steal one, especially if Gerber continues to play as well as he has the last 4 and a half periods. They have their skates on their throats - time to stomp down on them and snuff them out. I do, however, expect Spezza to play, and I'm sure the Pens do too.

As for AO, I agree - the media shoving him down our throats is getting a little annoying. And it would be worse if they end up beating the Flyers and we finish off Ottawa, because they would be our second round opponents. However, a hell of a lot of people don't like Sid for the same reason, though Sid is clearly the better all-around player. Hell, I think Malkin is a better all-around player than AO.

HometownGal
04-14-2008, 06:50 AM
A couple of "tidbits" going into tonight's game:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08105/873151-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: It's a desperate situation for both sides
Monday, April 14, 2008

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When a team is down by two games in a best-of-seven series and playing at home, the hockey term of choice is desperation -- which is exactly what the Penguins expect from the Senators tonight ... a desperate battle.

"They're going to come out hard and crash the net, make our defense win battles in front of the net," Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "We need a good first period. Any Canadian city is going to be intense at playoff time, and they're no different."

The Penguins gave up a three-goal lead in Friday night's 5-3 win at Mellon Arena, and don't want to give the Senators anything that would allow them to get back in the series.

But while the Penguins had the third-best home record in the league this season, they were just 10th best on the road with a 21-17-3 record.

"It's going to be extra tough," winger Marian Hossa said. "We know what it takes to win hockey games. We just have to match their intensity. Be ready at the start. It's important to go up there and play likes it's 0-0, like the series is just starting."

Much has been made about how the Penguins are a more mature bunch this season after so many of them got their first taste of the Stanley Cup playoffs last season. How they come out tonight will be another indication of how far they have come.

"They're going to be desperate. We're going to be desperate as well," coach Michel Therrien said. "It's not about how they play. It's about us."

Knowing what's coming and responding to it are two different things, however.

"We need to make sure we come out with that work ethic," Sidney Crosby said.

Nice break
Ryan Malone, who scored the winning goal and an empty netter Friday night, was given the day off yesterday. Malone was engaged in some heated physical battles in Game 2 but shook off any lingering effects.

Otherwise, the Penguins had a spirited workout before taking a 2 p.m. charter flight to Ottawa, with a team meal scheduled at 6:45.

"I liked their focus. They had a lot of jump," Therrien said after the morning skate. "The focus is there. This is what I like about our team. We're a confident group right now."

Therrien doesn't think two days off between games will hamper the Penguins. In fact, he thought it would be a benefit to get his players emotionally re-charged.

No changes planned
Speculation persists that Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson, who has been out since April 3 with a combination of knee, neck and back injuries, may return tonight to give the Senators an emotional lift.

It wouldn't surprise the Penguins if he did suit up, but they don't plan on any major changes if he does.

"We'll take the same approach, try to take time and space away, try to be as physical as we can," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "He's a big piece of their puzzle. He does a lot of the dirty work on their scoring chances. I wouldn't be surprised [if he plays]. But it's not going to change anything as far as our approach."

Added Therrien: "He's their captain. He's their leader. But we're not going to worry about him. We're going to worry about us."

One-two fizzle
Ottawa's one-two punch of Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza have combined for one assist in the first two games, while the Penguins duo of Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have a decided edge with one goal and nine assists between them.

But no one should be surprised at the contributions of Malkin, who was described by his coach as the best player in the NHL over the second half of the season.

Ugly goals
When the Senators rallied Friday night, all three of their goals came as a result of heavy traffic and creating havoc in front of Marc-Andre Fleury. The plays weren't dazzling, but they were effective.

"That's playoff hockey," Therrien said. "You might see a tic-tac-toe goal, but most of the time it's ugly goals."

stlrtruck
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
My local cable station is showing games like Rangers vs. Devils and Caps vs. Flyers but yet I've only had one Pens game on regular TV. This time of year, my cable company blows!!!

And I already checked for tonight's game, it's not on. How can I teach my Steelers Princess to be a Penguins Princess in the off season if I can't get a live feed of the game....it makes it difficult.

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 07:26 AM
we saw yesterday that both Montreal and New York couldn't go to a 3-0 lead in their series, both losing in OT

Hopefully we can take advantage of this banged up Ottawa team. I am going to make a bold prediction for tonight, Hossa will score :jawdrop:

X-Terminator
04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
If Alfredsson does play, which I think would be damn ballsy given his injuries and that it would be just 11 days after he was injured, I hope he gets a nice reception from Mr. Roberts in the form of a bone-crunching check.

You suit up in the playoffs with an injury, you had best be able to deal with the consequences. Show no mercy!

lilyoder6
04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
we need to take the lil life they have left 2nite and go up 3-0.. i would like to see the pens do a sweep of 4-0 and get good rest b4 the next series even tho we'll lose our momentum

X-Terminator
04-14-2008, 08:54 AM
My local cable station is showing games like Rangers vs. Devils and Caps vs. Flyers but yet I've only had one Pens game on regular TV. This time of year, my cable company blows!!!

And I already checked for tonight's game, it's not on. How can I teach my Steelers Princess to be a Penguins Princess in the off season if I can't get a live feed of the game....it makes it difficult.

It ain't your cable company's fault - blame the league and the networks. Any series involving New York teams is a big ratings draw, and the league wants to showcase Ovechkin's first playoff appearance. That's why you are getting a heavy dose of those games, and no Penguins games; in fact, there is only one other Pens game on national TV - this Saturday for game 5 on Versus. By contrast, every Rangers/Devils game sans one and Flyers/Caps game sans one is on national TV, either Versus or NBC.

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the Pens get much higher ratings than the Caps

stlrtruck
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
It ain't your cable company's fault - blame the league and the networks. Any series involving New York teams is a big ratings draw, and the league wants to showcase Ovechkin's first playoff appearance. That's why you are getting a heavy dose of those games, and no Penguins games; in fact, there is only one other Pens game on national TV - this Saturday for game 5 on Versus. By contrast, every Rangers/Devils game sans one and Flyers/Caps game sans one is on national TV, either Versus or NBC.

Obviously they haven't learned that Pittsburgh teams draw higher ratings nationwide vs. any other team. Bastages!!!! While I don't mind watching Ovechkin's first playoff appearance, I'd rather watch the Pens more frequently and besides it's not like they were playing on the same night.

Oh well, highlights is what I'll settle for until I can watch more frequently on the idiot-tube. I'm sure my wife would rather have them lose so she can watch the food network but alas - I am the sports fanatic, and she gets to watch the food network more often than I do sports.

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Ottawa/2008/04/14/5280836-sun.html

The dumb Senators put a mural up outside the Pens locker room showing the handshake after they beat us last year

how pathetic!

Counselor
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Ottawa/2008/04/14/5280836-sun.html

The dumb Senators put a mural up outside the Pens locker room showing the handshake after they beat us last year

how pathetic!

I was just coming over here to post this. Wow that was just stupid!

memphissteelergirl
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Anyone know if any of the Pens' playoff games will be on NBC?

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM

not any time soon.

tonight's game can be watched live online at yahoo

Fire Haley
04-14-2008, 04:39 PM

I've got both the Sens and Pens broadcasts on my Directv Center Ice package.

If you hurry you can still come over and watch.....I'm getting pizza. :tt02:

HometownGal
04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I was just coming over here to post this. Wow that was just stupid!

Wow. Talk about giving the Pens some extra fodder to kick their asses with. :thumbsup: Stay classy there, Sens.

The game tonight is a 7 PM start and will be broadcast live on Fox Sports Network.

An hour until game time - LETS GO PENS! :tt03::drink:

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
not any time soon.

tonight's game can be watched live online at yahoo

how? link?

fansince'76
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
how? link?

I didn't see anything on Yahoo, but this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/#

"Live Video/On Demand" is over towards the right - looks like they will be broadcasting the game live in about an hour.

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I didn't see anything on Yahoo, but this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/#

"Live Video/On Demand" is over towards the right - looks like they will be broadcasting the game live in about an hour.

thanks man! :tt:

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
how? link?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl;_ylt=AnG1eXo6ADD3DF7uBpm4u_U5nYcB

right under the picture, it has a watch live link. You cant click on it right now, it activates at 7 o'clock

fansince'76
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl;_ylt=AnG1eXo6ADD3DF7uBpm4u_U5nYcB

right under the picture, it has a watch live link. You cant click on it right now, it activates at 7 o'clock

Cripes - I was on that page and didn't see it. If it were a snake, it would've bit me. :dang:

Lord Stiller
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
im not sure if the yahoo or cbc site is better

I watched on yahoo a few times and only had a problem once when my computer had a slow connection, it kept lagging.

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
the cbc says its not availible in my area, mabey only canada?

HometownGal
04-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Daniel Alfreddson is in the lineup tonight. Gee - what a shocker!

Hey - the more the merrier I say! Bring it! :drink::tt03:

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
this is great getting to watch this straight from the burgh! Love it lol i was on it and it was playing a upmc thing about pregenancy lol so i had to reload it.

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 06:39 PM
0-0 6:00 left in first they have 12 shots on goal we have 6

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Gerber is doing well tonight, thats not good, we also arent off to our fast lead this home crowd may be getting to us a little.

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
after one its 0-0, Both Goalies doing well,
Pens Cens
Shots on Goals 12 14
Scoring chances 6 7
Faceoffs won 10 13

Even game a little advantage for the Cens but overall preatty good.
Lets get some goals! come on guys!

The Duke
04-14-2008, 07:58 PM
man, this game is real good. best of the series so far. very physical and low scoring, I love it :thumbsup:

fleury with another great performance so far, now the just have to finish it. they will need a good 3rd period to finish this off

let's go pens!

Borski
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
GOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!! Sid the Kid takes the go ahead goal.

2-1 Pens!!!

Borski
04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Jordan Staal Goal!!!

3-1

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
there we go!

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
yea baby 4-1 we win! 3-0 in the series now!! GO PENS!!!!

HometownGal
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
WOW!!!! What a tremendous game by our Pens! :applaudit::applaudit::drink:

Everyone had a hand (stick) in that win and Hossa finally got his goal! :thumbsup: That guy has given 150% since coming back from his injury and I was so happy to see him finally get one past the Gerber baby. :drink:

My game puck goes to Marc Andre Fleury. That young man has been HOT, HOT, HOT and again made some crucial and mind-blowing saves. He actually played the puck fairly well tonight, too - props to Gilles Meloche for the great job he has done in helping to mold MAF into one helluva netminder. :drink:

I don't think I realized until tonight's game just how DIRTY the Sens are. It was absolutely sickening to watch them trying to bludgeon our stars and the Gerber baby is a douchebag too with his cheap shots. Their fans are just as classless throwing garbage on the ice after the 4th goal. :upyours:

WAY TO GO PENS!!! Let's take this series on Wednesday night on their ice and shove it up their hineys once and for all. :tt03:

The Duke
04-14-2008, 09:16 PM
My game puck goes to Marc Andre Fleury. That young man has been HOT, HOT, HOT and again made some crucial and mind-blowing saves.

definitely, that guy impresses me even more each game. he's a big part of our success, and a big reason for keeping the pens in the game, just like today, 1-1 most of 2nd and fleury neutralizes many of the sens chances, then comes the 3rd and the offense starts firing,

if the offense can' t get it done fleury keeps them in the game, simply amazing :thumbsup:

I don't think I realized until tonight's game just how DIRTY the Sens are.

yeah, I noticed it too, but well...our players weren't hurt so they're only hurting their image

WAY TO GO PENS!!! Let's take this series on Wednesday night on their ice and shove it up their hineys once and for all.

lol, you can say that again :tt02:

get it done, 4-0, right in their house!!

BettisFan
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Fluery i'd say is the best goalie in the league right now

Petesburgh66
04-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't think I realized until tonight's game just how DIRTY the Sens are. It was absolutely sickening to watch them trying to bludgeon our stars and the Gerber baby is a douchebag too with his cheap shots. Their fans are just as classless throwing garbage on the ice after the 4th goal. :upyours:

This isn't a secret. Leafs fans have known this team to be dirty for years with the number of stick incidents in the last decade. There is why Daniel Alfredsson gets booed and It's not because he is a good player (this stupid trend of booing the other team's top player lately is tiresome and lame). But rather than from a pitch fork to a Leafs player in a playoff game in which he shrugged off as being no big deal. Since that game, Leaf nation has had a huge hatred for that fairy.

And Hossa isn't a saint either. It was him in a Senators uniform that that clipped Bryan Berard and almost took his eye out , caused damage to his vision and basically ruining a promising career.

And then there is Chris Neil. Man, I can't stand this walking pile of chicken crap.

Edman
04-15-2008, 12:18 AM
A near-perfect way to stick it to the Sens after last year.

First time in as many years to experience excitement for Pittsburgh sports that doesn't have the Steelers involved. Even the Pirates are doing something good...for now. Came back to beat LA tonight. Above .500!

LET'S GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-15-2008, 02:32 AM
WOW!!!! What a tremendous game by our Pens! :applaudit::applaudit::drink:

Everyone had a hand (stick) in that win and Hossa finally got his goal! :thumbsup: That guy has given 150% since coming back from his injury and I was so happy to see him finally get one past the Gerber baby. :drink:

My game puck goes to Marc Andre Fleury. That young man has been HOT, HOT, HOT and again made some crucial and mind-blowing saves. He actually played the puck fairly well tonight, too - props to Gilles Meloche for the great job he has done in helping to mold MAF into one helluva netminder. :drink:

WAY TO GO PENS!!! Let's take this series on Wednesday night on their ice and shove it up their hineys once and for all. :tt03:

I definitely agree on Fleury - without his play in the first period, the Sens are off and running. Instead, he slammed the door on them, kept the Pens in the game and our stars a chance to shine in the end. He has been rock-solid ever since he came back from his injury, and looks like a completely different goaltender than he was even at the start of the season. I agree with Therrien that he has been the best goalie in the league over the past 6 weeks. And what about Max Talbot? This guy has such a knack for scoring big goals in big moments, and he did it again tonight. The Sens score first and has a little bit of momentum, and then like a damp rag over a match, he snuffs it out with his goal 4 minutes later. We hold them off, get the 2 quick goals to start the 3rd - game over. And maybe now that Hossa has finally scored a goal, maybe the bandwagon fans will get off his back a bit. It's not like the guy has been invisible - he does a lot of the little things that helps you win games. There's more to hockey than scoring goals, which is something that's completely lost on those fans.

Yeah, the Sens are a dirty team, but in the playoffs, you can expect a little extra shot here and there. That doesn't really bother me. But for a career stiff like Gerber Baby to start taking cheap shots is just insane. It's not like he's earned that right like Brodeur or Hasek or Kiprusoff. We got the last laugh on them and got the W, and that is all that matters.

This isn't a secret. Leafs fans have known this team to be dirty for years with the number of stick incidents in the last decade. There is why Daniel Alfredsson gets booed and It's not because he is a good player (this stupid trend of booing the other team's top player lately is tiresome and lame). But rather than from a pitch fork to a Leafs player in a playoff game in which he shrugged off as being no big deal. Since that game, Leaf nation has had a huge hatred for that fairy.

And Hossa isn't a saint either. It was him in a Senators uniform that that clipped Bryan Berard and almost took his eye out , caused damage to his vision and basically ruining a promising career.

And then there is Chris Neil. Man, I can't stand this walking pile of chicken crap.

Let's also not forget that it was Alfredsson who deliberately shot the puck at Scott Niedermayer in the Finals last year, which was also predictably shrugged off as no big deal. He's a great player, but he does have a history of cheap shots. Martin Havlat is another noted cheap shot artist - as I'm sure you know, as a Senator he got suspended for kicking another player in a scrum, which obviously is extremely dangerous when you have skates on. I do remember the Hossa/Berard incident, but I've never actually seen it. I can't see it being deliberate because Hoss isn't that kind of player, but you still have to be responsible with your stick.

Don't even get me started on Chris Neil. The guy is a piece of crap, and I've been hoping that Laraque would beat the hell out of him before this series is over. I found it funny, not to mention hypocritical, that Sens fans got all butt hurt when Bell obliterated Alfredsson with a CLEAN HIT, but defended Neil when he blind-sided Chris Drury last season and Jeremy Reich this season, and all of his other cheap shots. Typical of Sens fans, I guess.

HometownGal
04-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Very nice read on Marc Andre Fleury. :thumbsup:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08106/873405-61.stm

Matured Fleury is the key
Tuesday, April 15, 2008

OTTAWA -- The big, noisy, hostile Scotiabank Place crowd didn't shake Marc-Andre Fleury this time. The emotional return of Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson from your typical hockey playoff injury -- unspecified, of course -- didn't get to him. Not even the goal he gave up to Nick Foligno in the second period, which gave the Senators their first lead of the series, threw him off his game.

Fleury stood tall through it all last night.

As a result, the Penguins need just a win here tomorrow night to sweep the Senators into next season and move on to Round 2 in their pursuit of Lord Stanley's Cup.

The Penguins' 4-1 win in Game 3 long will be remembered for the goals Sidney Crosby and Jordan Staal scored in the first 90 seconds of the third period. But Fleury gave them a chance -- especially early -- by stopping everything the Senators threw at him, including Alfredsson, who was playing for the first time in the series.

"Our leader," they called Alfredsson during a stirring first-period video tribute in honor of his 100th career playoff game.

"Their captain, their heart and soul," was how Penguins coach Michel Therrien described Alfredsson.

Well, Fleury made sure Alfie was no factor.

None of the Senators were, really.

It was no shock that the Penguins were outshot, 9-3, in the first nine minutes, not considering the Senators' desperation after losing the first two games at Mellon Arena. But it also wasn't shocking that Fleury turned back everything in that first period.

"That's when you need your goaltender to make a difference," Therrien said. "He made some key saves for us. He kept us in the game ..."

Therrien paused, before making his final point.

"I'm not surprised," he said. "He was the best goaltender in the NHL the last 15 games and has been the best goaltender in the playoffs. Look at his save percentage, his goals against. He's got the best record."

Much was made before the series of how much the Penguins have grown and matured since their quick playoff exit against the Senators last spring. It seems obvious now that no one grew and matured more than Fleury.

What a difference there was between this game and Fleury's first playoff game here last spring, which just happened to be his first playoff game, period. It took the Senators only 97 seconds to score last spring -- a goal by defenseman Andrej Meszaros -- when Fleury caught his skate on his goal post and tumbled. Ottawa made it 2-0 five minutes later when a shot by winger Chris Kelly snuck between Fleury's legs.

The Penguins never recovered -- going out in five games -- even though Fleury played better as the series progressed.

Clearly, the Senators wanted to swarm Fleury the same way last night. They thought they had figured him out in Game 2 when they scored three times in fewer than 18 minutes after he had stoned them for more than 90 minutes, including a 4-0 shutout in Game 1. The Penguins still won Game 2, 5-3, but it was an eager Ottawa bunch that took the ice for Game 3.

Fleury was up to the challenge. This time, there was no tripping and falling. There were no cheap goals.

"He's just so comfortable in net right now, so confident," Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "That makes all of the rest of us confident."

Thanks to Fleury, the Penguins went to the first intermission, 0-0.

"That was definitely their best period," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "Someone said it in here, 'That's the best they've got.' We came out of it, 0-0. That felt pretty good."

The Senators did beat Fleury on Foligno's goal at 1:11 of the second period for a 1-0 lead, but Whitney said it deserves an asterisk. Foligno batted the puck out of the air and past Whitney to soar in alone on Fleury.

"Put that one on me," Whitney said. "I should have played the body, but I was convinced the puck was going to the corner. That was my bad. Fleury had no chance."

The Senators certainly didn't get into Fleury's head because of that goal. He would not be beaten again, finishing with 33 saves. In the three wins, he has stopped 86 of 90 shots.

That Senators' lead lasted just 4:28 before the Penguins' Max Talbot scored. When Crosby and Staal got their goals early in the third period, the game was over.

Maybe the series, too.

Fleury wasn't picked as one of the three stars. The Penguins' Marian Hossa was No. 1 with a goal and two assists, Crosby was No. 2 and Foligno was No. 3, thanks to some home cookin'.

Fleury had a right to complain but passed. And why not? His teammates' respect is more important, isn't it?

"He was big for us early and really shut the door at the end," Whitney said. "He got us the win."

Three of 'em in this series, actually.

The way Fleury is playing, many more are ahead.

Fire Haley
04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Well, the Pens have won just about every way you can now.

- Get a big lead, hold it, and shut them out.....check

- Jump out to a big lead - lose it, then rally for the win......check

- Fall behind early then win with the big comeback......check.

They didn't take the Sens lightly, and it shows. Just win, baby!

Lord Stiller
04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/keevin33/pensbroom.jpg

Counselor
04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
I got my broom out! I'm ready for the fall of the Roman Empire----lets put these Senators out of their misery!

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
anyone know if this game is online like the last?

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
0-0 1 minute left in the first

fansince'76
04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
anyone know if this game is online like the last?

Pens/Sens Online (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=7349999)

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
pens up 1-0 malkin scored our goal

14 min left in 2nd

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
2-1 us 3rd just started

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Fluery is blocking everything its amazin jeez 2 close calls in a row

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:24 PM
blocked 18 out of 19 shots nice

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
2-1 3 minutes left

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
ony 1:20 left!! LETS GET THE SWEEP!

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
47 seconds Cens have open net! here we go

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
WE DID IT!!!! 4-0 GO PENS WE SWEPT THE CENS!!! YESSS!!!!

GO PENS
GO PENS
GO PENS!!!!

Edman
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Bring out the Brooms!

It's over! Hats off to the Penguins!:hatsoff:

Revenge is sweet. Let's go Pens!

Petesburgh66
04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Ottawa fans can suck it.

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:46 PM
had to happen after last year, we just dominated!

Lord Stiller
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
first team to advance!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooooohooooooooo ruuuuuuuuutttuuuuuuuu

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/keevin33/pensbroom.jpg

Edman
04-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Ottawa fans can suck it.

The whole Ottawa Sens team can go suck it. From their crybaby coach to that asshole Chris Neil, to their fans. Like I said, Revenge is sweet.

SteelCityMan786
04-16-2008, 08:55 PM
A couple of videos for you Ottawa
dwnqqj5Q1BU

Q8Tiz6INF7I

GOOD NIGHT SENS!!!!!!

BettisFan
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
EPIC WIN! I AM SO PUMPED!

Petesburgh66
04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
One word will drive Ottawa fans crazy....

Fore

Petesburgh66
04-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Let's also not forget that it was Alfredsson who deliberately shot the puck at Scott Niedermayer in the Finals last year, which was also predictably shrugged off as no big deal. He's a great player, but he does have a history of cheap shots. Martin Havlat is another noted cheap shot artist - as I'm sure you know, as a Senator he got suspended for kicking another player in a scrum, which obviously is extremely dangerous when you have skates on. I do remember the Hossa/Berard incident, but I've never actually seen it. I can't see it being deliberate because Hoss isn't that kind of player, but you still have to be responsible with your stick.

Don't even get me started on Chris Neil. The guy is a piece of crap, and I've been hoping that Laraque would beat the hell out of him before this series is over. I found it funny, not to mention hypocritical, that Sens fans got all butt hurt when Bell obliterated Alfredsson with a CLEAN HIT, but defended Neil when he blind-sided Chris Drury last season and Jeremy Reich this season, and all of his other cheap shots. Typical of Sens fans, I guess.

I agree. Hvalat, Alfredsson and Neil are known repeat "dirty" offenders. The only reason why Neil is in the NHL is that Ottawa needed toughness from the physical ass whipping the Maple Leafs gave them early on in the early 2000s. They even brought in a retired Buffalo Sabre goon (Rob Ray) as the ass whipping was that bad.

CdyHVGPdwT4

Hossa was careless with his stick. At least he hasn't done that since. And who is the dumbass commenting on this clip? Hoss? Burns? That is Hossa and Pat Quinn you dolt.

The Bell hit on Alfredsson...it was border line for me. But since Bell didn't get suspended, I guess the NHL deemed it a legal hit. And Alfredsson just admitted on Hockey Night In Canada that he got a torn MCL for the hit.

Speaking of HNIC, how are American fans watching the playoffs? In Canada, it's just a given, it's hockey, hockey, hockey at this time of the year. And I am seeing web links on this thread to watch the Penguins....is it that bad to get access to the games on TV down there? The Penguins and Senators series was shown across Canada. I was going post up the CBC link to watch the games online but I suspect it doesn't work for American IP addresses.

Counselor
04-16-2008, 09:49 PM
GOOD JOB PENS!!!!! WAY TO BRING HOME THE SWEEP!

X-Terminator
04-17-2008, 01:36 AM
I never had a doubt that the Pens would win this series. I really wanted this matchup because I wanted a chance at redemption for them bludgeoning us last season, and the boys delivered. Everyone was great again tonight, especially Fleury. He has been simply lights-out, and you can see how confidently the team plays in front of him. Here's hoping he keeps it up, because no matter who the Pens play in the next round, he's going to be tested.

Here's a nice, parting message for the Sens and their fans:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2008-04-16/0417penguins07-a.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2008-04-16/0417penguins02-a.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2008-04-16/0417penguins06-a.jpg

Paint those on that mural, Sens' brass.

And Cryin' Bryan can lick my balls.

X-Terminator
04-17-2008, 01:39 AM
I agree. Hvalat, Alfredsson and Neil are known repeat "dirty" offenders. The only reason why Neil is in the NHL is that Ottawa needed toughness from the physical ass whipping the Maple Leafs gave them early on in the early 2000s. They even brought in a retired Buffalo Sabre goon (Rob Ray) as the ass whipping was that bad.

Hossa was careless with his stick. At least he hasn't done that since. And who is the dumbass commenting on this clip? Hoss? Burns? That is Hossa and Pat Quinn you dolt.

The Bell hit on Alfredsson...it was border line for me. But since Bell didn't get suspended, I guess the NHL deemed it a legal hit. And Alfredsson just admitted on Hockey Night In Canada that he got a torn MCL for the hit.

Speaking of HNIC, how are American fans watching the playoffs? In Canada, it's just a given, it's hockey, hockey, hockey at this time of the year. And I am seeing web links on this thread to watch the Penguins....is it that bad to get access to the games on TV down there? The Penguins and Senators series was shown across Canada. I was going post up the CBC link to watch the games online but I suspect it doesn't work for American IP addresses.

Yeah I remember that. The Leafs at that time had Roberts, Corson, Tucker, Belak and Domi - some pretty damn tough guys - while the Sens had no answer other than Andre Roy. And the last memory I have of Rob Ray was him getting his ass kicked by Donald Brashear in that record-setting brawl with the Flyers in '04 that left him a bloody mess. So that didn't work out too well for him or the Sens, as they went on to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs by the Leafs again.

Yeah, you're right about the Bell hit, but I just found it hilarious that the Sens fans would cry about that when they defend similar hits by Neil. And while I'll give Alfredsson props for playing with a torn MCL, he ended up doing the team more harm than good. He shouldn't have been out there, plain and simple.

We get all the Pens games here on our local cable affiliate, and games are televised nationally on Versus and NBC and streamed through Yahoo. Problem is, Versus isn't available everywhere down here, so a lot of people get shut out. And after the second round, Versus and NBC have exclusive rights to all games. The NHL really needs to get back on ESPN so that everyone will have a chance to watch the games. You're really lucky living in Canada and watching games on both CBC and TSN.

HometownGal
04-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Way to go Pens! :tt03::drink: Total dominance over those bums from start to finish! Again, everyone had a stick in last night's victory and sweep of the whining Sens, but I have to give huge props to Fleury for another outstanding performance in the net!

Hopefully, the break in between series will give the guys time to rest up and come out fresh against whoever our opponent will be in the 2nd round (looks like it is probably going to be Fagomir and the Rangers) and I'm hoping this break doesn't bring a little rust along with it. As fired up and confident as this team is now, I really can't see anything standing in their way! :applaudit::applaudit:

Nice read in this morning's Post-Gazette. Enjoy!

http://postgazette.com/pg/08108/874175-61.stm

A lot to like in annihilation of Senators
Thursday, April 17, 2008

OTTAWA -- So what did you like best about the Penguins' four-game annihilation of the Ottawa Senators?

Good luck trying to answer that one.

Penguins coach Michel Therrien thought about the question for a second late last night and gave up.

"I'm pleased with everything we did."

Everything?

"Everything," Therrien said, firmly.

When's the last time you heard any coach say that?

Then again, when's the last time a hockey team had such a dominant playoff series performance from start to finish?

"We earned this," Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said shortly after officially sweeping the Senators into the offseason with an empty-net goal that made the Game 4 final, 3-1.

I repeat, good luck trying to pick out what you liked best about all of it.

Was it the fabulous goaltending of Marc-Andre Fleury? His win in the clincher made it three times in four games he allowed one or fewer goals. That Ty Conklin controversy seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it? Fleury stopped 107 of the Senators' 112 shots in the series, prompting Therrien to again call him the hottest thing in goalie pads.

Was it that Crosby and Evgeni Malkin did what stars do in big games by playing their best under the bright lights? Malkin scored the first goal last night after a terrific set-up pass from Crosby. Each finished the series with two goals, Crosby with six assists, Malkin with five. I'll let you decide which one is the best player in the world. To me, they are 1 and 1A. In no particular order.

Was it that the Penguins' power play scored in each game, including Malkin's goal last night? You would think a unit with Crosby, Malkin, Marian Hossa, Ryan Malone and Sergei Gonchar would score every time, but, really, that's not going to happen. As it was, 6 for 23 isn't bad.

Was it the Penguins' suffocating penalty-killing? The Senators' power play went 0 for 2 last night, 1 for 13 in the series.

Was it the Penguins' defensive dominance all the way around? Ottawa stars Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza each had just an assist in the series. Spezza had a mere 10 shots, Heatley nine. Heck, Hossa had nine shots last night.

Was it the Penguins' lopsided offensive edge? They outscored the Senators, 16-5, in the four games and outshot them, 161-112. The Senators' only lead in the series was 1-0 in Game 3 for 4 minutes, 28 seconds.

Was it that the Penguins got great work from their third and fourth lines? Third-line winger Jarkko Ruutu scored the winner last night, fighting off defenseman Brian Lee and beating goaltender Martin Gerber with a spinning backhanded shot.

Here's one final question for you to ponder:

Did you see anything in the four games that makes you think the Penguins can't go a lot deeper in the playoffs? To the Eastern Conference final, perhaps? All the way to the Stanley Cup final, even?

I didn't, either.

It was an amazing four games.

Maybe the most remarkable aspect of the series was the killer instinct the Penguins showed. Last night, it was Ruutu's marvelous goal just 4 minutes, 57 seconds after the Senators' Cory Stillman scored to tie things, 1-1. In Game 3 Monday night, Max Talbot quickly wiped out the Senators' brief 1-0 lead with a goal and then Crosby and Jordan Staal buried the Senators with goals in the first 90 seconds of the third period.

"Give all of the credit to the players," Therrien said. "We really dictated the game tonight."

All four games, actually.

The matches ahead will be much tougher. It doesn't matter what team the Penguins play in Round 2. Washington, the New Jersey-New York Rangers winner or even Boston will be better than the Senators, a dysfunctional bunch in the best of times and a decimated team in this series because of injuries to top players Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Fisher.

But the games in Round 2 won't be so much about what the opponent does. It will be all about the Penguins. As Malone put it, "We know if we play our game, we're a tough team to play against."

All the Penguins need to do is play like they did against the Senators.

In a way, it's a bit troubling that they could have as much as a week off before the next series. You hate to see anything threaten their momentum, although, as defenseman Brooks Orpik noted, "It's like [Petr] Sykora said, 'Sometimes, rest can be a big weapon.' "

Malone, who's banged up, and Gary Roberts, who has a groin problem, won't complain about the time off. Nor will Malkin and Staal, who have played in all 86 games so far.

No, the next series will get here soon enough.

In the meantime, the Penguins are going to spend a little time enjoying what, for many of them, was their first series victory.

"Team picture in front of the mural," Orpik said, rather loudly, a reference to the huge picture Senators management hung outside the Penguins' locker room, showing the handshake line after the Senators took out the Penguins in five playoff games last spring.

What a difference a year makes.

It only seemed appropriate that Orpik rubbed the Senators' noses in it one final time.

The Penguins spent four games doing just that.

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Well hopefully they'll actually show some Pens playoff games on the National level now. Dang networks!!!

Lord Stiller
04-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Am I the only one that loves watching Malkin play??? His size and skill reminds me so much of Mario. I hope we sign him to a long extension after the season. Just think, we'll have the best 2 players in hockey for years!

Also need to resign Fleury, he is developing into a top 5 goalie

HometownGal
04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Am I the only one that loves watching Malkin play??? His size and skill reminds me so much of Mario. I hope we sign him to a long extension after the season. Just think, we'll have the best 2 players in hockey for years!

Most definitely not. Geno is a dynamic presence on the ice (both offensively and defensively) and is as tough as nails. I won't go so far as to compare him to Mario just yet, but he is showing a lot of the same consistencies, skill and toughness that Mario did early on in his career. I, too, am hoping that the Pens sign him long-term and I have no doubt at all that they will.

Isn't is awesome to be a Pens fan? :tt03:

lilyoder6
04-17-2008, 09:20 AM
i agree w/ u all that one.. dumbass networks... but good series pens.. i hope the ov gets knocked out of the po.. buit get the rest pens and lets get another sdweep..

rbryan
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Pens outscored them 16-5 over the four games. If it weren't for the Sens goalie playing out of his mind there could have easily been 10 more. That was total domination. Its been long time since I can remember watching the Pens and not worrying about the outcome of a game. They might still lose a few along the way, but I don't see anyone beating them 4 of 7.

X-Terminator
04-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Most definitely not. Geno is a dynamic presence on the ice (both offensively and defensively) and is as tough as nails. I won't go so far as to compare him to Mario just yet, but he is showing a lot of the same consistencies, skill and toughness that Mario did early on in his career. I, too, am hoping that the Pens sign him long-term and I have no doubt at all that they will.

Isn't is awesome to be a Pens fan? :tt03:

I don't think either of you will have to worry about Malkin's extension - Shero has made his contract priority #1 in the offseason, and he will likely get $8 million+ per season in a long-term extension. I love watching him play, and he reminds me so much of Mario it's scary. The things he can do with the puck are just amazing; he can skate around or through anyone; he's a pure scorer with a cannon of a shot, yet is just as good a playmaker and passer as Sid. And he is a tremendous defensive player. He just might be the best player in the league right now, and yes, that includes Sid.

As for Fleury, with every win he gets in the playoffs, his value goes way up. I predict he'll get well over $3 million per season regardless of how far the Pens go. That unfortunately will mean one of Hossa or Malone will be playing elsewhere next season when you factor in Malkin's and Staal's extensions, even though they won't take effect until 2009-10. I wouldn't even be surprised if Gonchar will be playing somewhere else after next season. He was, after all, the highest paid player on the team this year at $5.5 million and is going to make that next season in the final year of his deal. I don't think the Pens will want to tie up a lot of money into a then 35 year old defenseman.

But seriously, why are we worrying about all of this now? Let's just enjoy the ride, and worry about this contract stuff later! :drink: :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok so somebody correct me if I'm wrong (which does happen occassionally)...

Assuming the Candiens are going to beat the bruins the Penguins opponents for Round 2 are either the capitals (doubtful), or the winner of the devils/rangers series.

HometownGal
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Ok so somebody correct me if I'm wrong (which does happen occassionally)...

Assuming the Candiens are going to beat the bruins the Penguins opponents for Round 2 are either the capitals (doubtful), or the winner of the devils/rangers series.

You are correct. The way it looks right now, we are probably going to be playing the Rags in Round 2. Blech.

stlrtruck
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
You are correct. The way it looks right now, we are probably going to be playing the Rags in Round 2. Blech.

Looks like Boston is trying to crash the party!

Lord Stiller
04-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Mark Madden was talking yesterday a little about contracts and how we might lost Malone and Hossa. And he actually said something smart, he said their are 4 players we will absolutely lock up long term to build our team around and he called them the 4 horsemen:

Crosby (20)
Malkin (21)
Fleury (23)
Staal (19)

Makes perfect sense to me. Malkin and Crosby are the best players in the league. Fleury is finally developing into a top tier goalie. And Staal (im a big fan) has tons of potential. He is only 19 but playing great defense. His offensive skills went into a sophmore slump somewhat. But he has the potential to be an absolute shutdown center and one of the best defensive forwards in the league

HometownGal
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Mark Madden was talking yesterday a little about contracts and how we might lost Malone and Hossa. And he actually said something smart, he said their are 4 players we will absolutely lock up long term to build our team around and he called them the 4 horsemen:

Crosby (20)
Malkin (21)
Fleury (23)
Staal (19)

Makes perfect sense to me. Malkin and Crosby are the best players in the league. Fleury is finally developing into a top tier goalie. And Staal (im a big fan) has tons of potential. He is only 19 but playing great defense. His offensive skills went into a sophmore slump somewhat. But he has the potential to be an absolute shutdown center and one of the best defensive forwards in the league

If Shero and he Pens can somehow find a way to keep both Malone and Hoss, they will do it, especially Malone. Here is a list of our current players and their salaries and status:

http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/pittsburgh.htm

I don't see the Pens resigning either Eaton or Roberts, so that will free up a few bucks. Sydor might be traded or released, as well. Fleury is a RFA next season and the Pens top priority should be to make sure he is resigned long-term. Malkin and Staal are both UFA's at the end of next season, so I'm sure the Pens will do whatever it takes to offer them long-term contracts. Ruutu is also an UFA at the end of this season and I strongly believe the Pens are going to hang onto him, as I believe he has most definitely earned a roster spot.

Speaking of Ruutu, I found this article in today's PPG. I don't look at him as a "dirty" player - he's more of a pain in the ass instigator than anything else. You can't help but just love the guy! :toofunny::toofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08109/874513-61.stm

Ruutu doesn't mind his rep

Penguins left winger Jarkko Ruutu, who scored the series-winning goal in their first-round victory against Ottawa, tied for third in a poll to determine the dirtiest player in the NHL.

It was conducted by Sports Illustrated and included feedback from 366 NHL players.

Ruutu received about 10 percent of the votes, putting him New York Rangers winger Sean Avery (24 percent) and Anaheim defenseman Chris Pronger (11 percent), even with Minnesota winger Chris Simon (10 percent) and ahead of Nashville winger Jordin Tootoo (9 percent).

"How come I'm not first?" Ruutu said, smiling. "I should be." :toofunny::toofunny:

Ruutu makes no apologies for his whatever-it-takes mentality -- "I don't draw a line on what I can do and can't do," he said. "I'll do whatever it takes to win" -- and said he accepts that there are plusses and minuses to his reputation.

"It hurts me, in that refs [likely call more penalties on him]," he said. "But, at the same time, maybe it makes [opponents] keep their heads up a little more when I'm out there. It goes both ways.

"I've always had that since I played here, and I know that's nothing going to change."

X-Terminator
04-18-2008, 10:36 PM
If Shero and he Pens can somehow find a way to keep both Malone and Hoss, they will do it, especially Malone. Here is a list of our current players and their salaries and status:

http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/pittsburgh.htm

I don't see the Pens resigning either Eaton or Roberts, so that will free up a few bucks. Sydor might be traded or released, as well. Fleury is a RFA next season and the Pens top priority should be to make sure he is resigned long-term. Malkin and Staal are both UFA's at the end of next season, so I'm sure the Pens will do whatever it takes to offer them long-term contracts. Ruutu is also an UFA at the end of this season and I strongly believe the Pens are going to hang onto him, as I believe he has most definitely earned a roster spot.

Speaking of Ruutu, I found this article in today's PPG. I don't look at him as a "dirty" player - he's more of a pain in the ass instigator than anything else. You can't help but just love the guy! :toofunny::toofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08109/874513-61.stm

Ruutu doesn't mind his rep

Penguins left winger Jarkko Ruutu, who scored the series-winning goal in their first-round victory against Ottawa, tied for third in a poll to determine the dirtiest player in the NHL.

It was conducted by Sports Illustrated and included feedback from 366 NHL players.

Ruutu received about 10 percent of the votes, putting him New York Rangers winger Sean Avery (24 percent) and Anaheim defenseman Chris Pronger (11 percent), even with Minnesota winger Chris Simon (10 percent) and ahead of Nashville winger Jordin Tootoo (9 percent).

"How come I'm not first?" Ruutu said, smiling. "I should be." :toofunny::toofunny:

Ruutu makes no apologies for his whatever-it-takes mentality -- "I don't draw a line on what I can do and can't do," he said. "I'll do whatever it takes to win" -- and said he accepts that there are plusses and minuses to his reputation.

"It hurts me, in that refs [likely call more penalties on him]," he said. "But, at the same time, maybe it makes [opponents] keep their heads up a little more when I'm out there. It goes both ways.

"I've always had that since I played here, and I know that's nothing going to change."

In looking at the Pens' salary cap structure, it looks as if it'll come down to either Hossa or Malone - I can't see them keeping both unless Hossa takes a major pay cut in order to have a chance at winning the Cup if they don't win it this year. Otherwise, he's likely to ask for $7 million per season and I don't see the Pens paying him that much when Malone will likely ask for $4-5 million per season and will be giving Malkin ($8 mil+), Staal ($2-3 mil) and Fleury ($3-4 mil) significant raises. It's important to get the latter 3 locked up pretty quickly, because given what's happened the last 2 seasons with the Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe tendering "poison pill" offer sheets to RFAs Dustin Penner and Thomas Vanek - and thus totally screwing Anaheim and Buffalo, respectively - you know some GM will try to do the same thing to the Pens to try to force their hand - especially Fleury, who is an RFA after this season. I do think Eaton, Roberts, Conklin and Hall will be gone for sure, Sydor waived or traded and they will have $1.5 million in dead cap room freed up. Plus, they will be $20-$24 million under the cap if it goes up to $54-56 million as is projected, and the Pens have already stated they will spend to the cap. Even with that much money freed up, it will still make it extremely difficult - even impossible - to keep both Hossa and Malone. Given the choice, I'd rather keep Malone for his versatility and leadership, and find a cheaper option as a scorer for Sid's line - maybe Michael Ryder from Montreal. They will keep UFAs Dupuis, Orpik, Ruutu and Laraque.

Speaking of Ruutu, you got to love him and his win-at-all-costs mentality. I've never really seen him as a "dirty" player either, just a real pain in the ass to play against and a guy you'd hate if he played for another team. I'm surprised Tootoo wasn't rated higher and Matt Cooke from Washington didn't even show up - now HE is a real dirty player.

Petesburgh66
04-18-2008, 11:46 PM
We get all the Pens games here on our local cable affiliate, and games are televised nationally on Versus and NBC and streamed through Yahoo. Problem is, Versus isn't available everywhere down here, so a lot of people get shut out. And after the second round, Versus and NBC have exclusive rights to all games. The NHL really needs to get back on ESPN so that everyone will have a chance to watch the games. You're really lucky living in Canada and watching games on both CBC and TSN.

I have heard up here the Penguins are bringing in the ratings due to the regional coverage.

I wish the games in the USA were back on ESPN as they wouldn't mind showing hockey games at night. I really freaking hate watching a hockey game on a weekend afternoon because of NBC. Who the hell are they to dictate that the games are to be played on a weekend afternoon, especially with that crappy contract the NHL has with them. And they don't even show the entire series including the Stanley Cup finals as heaven forbid hockey bump off some crappy prime TV show during re-run season.

And yet, one of the biggest TV deals the NHL has (might even be the biggest) is with Hockey Night In Canada (HNIC). HNIC gets the shaft and bows to the NHL wishes to go with NBC's preferred time slot. Why the hell they put up with this is beyond me. Canadians are use to watching hockey games at night. It's not in our mindset to watch a hockey game during the day.