PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Petesburgh66
04-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Hossa turned down 7 million a year from Atlanta. He is not worth that money in my view any ways.

Malone would be cheaper to keep.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Hossa turned down 7 million a year from Atlanta. He is not worth that money in my view any ways.

Malone would be cheaper to keep.

You may be right there Petes. Though I really love Hossa's style and the little things he does that go unrecognized by a lot of fans, we may not be able to afford both him and Malone. Malone proved himself worthy of a hefty raise this season and I'd love the Pens to be able to sign him to a multi-year contract.

Nice post XT! :drink:

Damned Rags won last night so the Devils are out. I have to cheer on the Bruins tonight as I would much prefer playing them in Round 2. Flyers can move on if they beat the Caps this afternoon.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Very enjoyable read on Jordan Staal. :thumbsup: This kid has really stepped up his game defensively for the Pens and has been a tremendous asset in their season and playoff run this far.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08110/874829-61.stm

Staal is filling important niche as playoffs continue

The Penguins' youngest center fills a different niche than Malkin or Crosby with his stellar defense

Saturday, April 19, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There were several occasions in the 2007-08 season when it was suggested -- recommended, even -- by some segments of their fan base that the Penguins give serious thought to trading Jordan Staal.

The apparent logic, if it can be described that way: Staal's offensive output was down significantly from his first year in the NHL and, with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on the payroll, how many good young centers did the Penguins really need?

Such rationale ignored a couple of pretty obvious truths -- like how Staal's 29 goals as a rookie exceeded anything he had done in junior hockey, how his niche was decidedly different from those filled by Crosby and Malkin and how he'll complete two NHL seasons months before celebrating his 20th birthday -- and one that wasn't nearly as obvious.

"No one has ever called about him," general manager Ray Shero said. "Tell Jordan there's no interest in him around the league. Why would there be [interest in him]?"

Now, it's hard to say whether Shero was serious -- he has earned a reputation for honesty in his first two years on the job, but his deadpan delivery when discussing Staal was more than a little suspicious -- but, if other teams haven't tried to pry Staal away from him, it's only because they realize it would be pointless.

He has too many assets, too much promise, for the Penguins to part with him in anything shy of an epic transaction. While no player is completely safe from being moved -- unless, of course, he has a no-trade clause and is committed to invoking it under any circumstances -- shopping Staal isn't going to appear on Shero's to-do list anytime soon.

For as valuable and effective as Staal has proven to be in his current role centering the third line, his teammates and bosses believe he has the potential to develop into a top-six forward.

"I think so, for sure," Shero said. "He's too smart, too big, too powerful. You could put him anywhere you want.

"He could move up in the lineup, he could move to the wing if he has to. At the end of the day, he'll hopefully help your team win hockey games."

For now, that mostly entails playing well defensively. He had one point, a third-period goal in Game 3, in the Penguins' opening-round sweep of Ottawa, but his primary responsibilities for now are killing penalties and playing well in his end.

Some of the qualities that allow him to do that effectively -- his reach, for example, and his strength -- are hard to miss. Others need a bit closer scrutiny.

"He's so mature for his age," said left winger Jarkko Ruutu, his linemate of late. "For a lot of people, it's hard to see the little things he does right, especially defensively."

Whether it's Staal's hockey sense or training, or a combination, he generally gets himself in good position and makes smart decisions with and without the puck

Fact is, the Penguins are adamant that, even though his offensive output dropped from 42 points in 2006-07 to 28 this season, Staal is contributing more to their success now than he did as a rookie. By a considerable margin.

"You look at his numbers offensively, this year compared to last year, they're not the same, but we believe he's a much better player this year than he was last year," coach Michel Therrien said. "And he's going to be better next year. You can't always judge a player with numbers."

Staal, understandably, wasn't happy that his personal stats dropped, because even the most defensive-minded player enjoys scoring. He did not, however, allow any frustration he expected offensively to spill over to other facets of his game.

"I was just trying to help the team," Staal said. "It seemed like we kept winning, so it wasn't a real big deal for any of us. I was just trying to focus on my defense game and, hopefully, the offense will come."

The Penguins point out that Staal doesn't try to force offense -- "He doesn't cheat defensively," Ruutu said. "He takes what's given to [him]" -- and they, like Staal, seem convinced he'll settle in on a first or second line at some point.

"I hope so," Staal said. "I can do it. Right now, there are a lot of great players on this team.

"I'm only 19 years old. I have to keep working on my game and getting better."

He certainly has time. And every reason to believe he'll continue doing it as a member of the Penguins.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
The Caps kept their playoff hopes alive today, defeating the Flyers 3-2. Habs and Bruins game in progress - no score as of yet.

OneForTheToe
04-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Canadians just scored. 1-0 for the north of the border. I'm listnign on nhl radio - just doing a bit of scouting. :popcorn:

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Canadians just scored. 1-0 for the north of the border. I'm listnign on nhl radio - just doing a bit of scouting. :popcorn:

I'm still holding out hope (but not much to hold) that the Bruins can win this game and stay alive. I can't stomach the Habs and their arrogant fans.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Bruins just tied the Habs 2-2 with just over 16 minutes left to play. :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
"Habs'' just scored, 3-2 over Boston with under 8 minutes left. It's looking more and more like the Rangers.

Edited to add: like I said 3-3.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Bruins just scored - 3-3 with 7+ minutes left. :thumbsup:

I hate Zdeno Chara. That is all.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Boston just scored with 4:15 left in the game. WOO HOO!

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:37 PM
What a game! Habs just scored to tie it at 4-4.

OneForTheToe
04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
4-4 ... wow what a game.

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Holy shit! Bruins just score to make it 5-4! :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
04-19-2008, 09:41 PM
5-4 Boston ... The garden must be going nuts.

OneForTheToe
04-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Game seven upcoming. The Pens will have to wait to see who they play. I'm going to the CBC site with tissue in hand.:chuckle:

HometownGal
04-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Game seven upcoming. The Pens will have to wait to see who they play. I'm going to the CBC site with tissue in hand.:chuckle:

Be sure to take one along for me OFTT. :drink:

I so want the Bruins in Round #2. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
04-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Be sure to take one along for me OFTT. :drink:

I so want the Bruins in Round #2. :thumbsup:

I'll be laughing VERY HARD if we play the Bruins. Mainly because we don't have to hear the screaming dummies from Montreal. Course, would also be funny to see Kovalev Crying as they lose.

X-Terminator
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
That was the best game I've seen so far this playoff season, no question. Yes the Pens swept their series, but they were so dominant and the games so one-sided that, from a hockey fan's rather than Pens fan's standpoint, there weren't all that exciting. I definitely won't count them out of winning Game 7 in Montreal. However, I'm probably the only one here who does not want to play the Bruins. They gave us fits in the regular season and played pretty damn well defensively against us, but admittedly, the final 2 games, one was played without Sid and Fleury and the second one was the debuts of Gill, Hossa and Dupuis, and thus the team was out of sync. But I still want no part of them. Of all the teams left, I'd rather have the Caps. The one advantage we DO have against them is that Malkin has tortured Tim Thomas so far in his short career.

SteelCityMan786
04-19-2008, 10:42 PM
That was the best game I've seen so far this playoff season, no question. Yes the Pens swept their series, but they were so dominant and the games so one-sided that, from a hockey fan's rather than Pens fan's standpoint, there weren't all that exciting. I definitely won't count them out of winning Game 7 in Montreal. However, I'm probably the only one here who does not want to play the Bruins. They gave us fits in the regular season and played pretty damn well defensively against us, but admittedly, the final 2 games, one was played without Sid and Fleury and the second one was the debuts of Gill, Hossa and Dupuis, and thus the team was out of sync. But I still want no part of them. Of all the teams left, I'd rather have the Caps. The one advantage we DO have against them is that Malkin has tortured Tim Thomas so far in his short career.

I'd rather see the Caps or the Rags. Caps because I know that series can be another arse kicking for them. If we play the Rags, I feel this team is ready to go into a long well faught battle if neccessary. However, if they have to play the Bruins, I'm ready for another fight with them. Bring em on. This time, we have everyone ready. Let's have another go.

HometownGal
04-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd rather see the Caps or the Rags. Caps because I know that series can be another arse kicking for them. If we play the Rags, I feel this team is ready to go into a long well faught battle if neccessary. However, if they have to play the Bruins, I'm ready for another fight with them. Bring em on. This time, we have everyone ready. Let's have another go.

I'd still rather see the Pens play the Bruins in Round #2 for several reasons:

(a) Those arrogant Habs will have been knocked out in the first round; :toofunny:

(b) We will have a healthy (and well rested) team to go up against them;

(c) I believe we are the more talented team all the way around;

(d) It will be fun seeing yet another group of Boston fans crying in their beer when the Pens eliminate them. :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
04-20-2008, 10:52 AM

(a) Those arrogant Habs will have been knocked out in the first round; :toofunny:

(d) It will be fun seeing yet another group of Boston fans crying in their beer when the Pens eliminate them. :tt03:

I could hear people doing that from my house on Super Bowl Sunday. haha.

X-Terminator
04-20-2008, 11:08 AM

If Boston does win, it would show that talent alone does not win games or series, because Montreal is the more talented team. They would also be the 3rd top seed to lose in the first round since the league went to the current playoff format (the '94 Sharks, led by captain Bob Errey, and the '06 Oilers were the others, and the Oil went all the way to the Finals). Plus, you never know how a long layoff will affect a team. I'd prefer the Caps - I feel we could beat them in 5 games at most, but it's looking like it's going to come down to Boston or the Rags. Ugh.

Lord Stiller
04-20-2008, 03:06 PM
We need to hope for a Bruins win or a Washington series win

Pens and Rangers are clearly the 2 best teams in the Eastern Conference, lets save that matchup for the conf. finals

SteelCityMan786
04-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Pens and Rangers are clearly the 2 best teams in the Eastern Conference, lets save that matchup for the conf. finals

Who says we won't see the Flyers there either? (In the Conference Finals):flap:

HometownGal
04-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Yeppers. I have little fear of playing the Rags, as Fagomir normally doesn't do well against the Pens, but when Lundvquist is hot, he's like a stone wall, much like Fleury. I'd just prefer to play the Bruins first and if not, then the Caps. Whoever we play, I have a boatload of confidence that the Pens can prevail. :thumbsup:

BettisFan
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
yea dont wanna play the rangers yet

X-Terminator
04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeppers. I have little fear of playing the Rags, as Fagomir normally doesn't do well against the Pens, but when Lundvquist is hot, he's like a stone wall, much like Fleury. I'd just prefer to play the Bruins first and if not, then the Caps. Whoever we play, I have a boatload of confidence that the Pens can prevail. :thumbsup:

The Rangers are the one team I want to face the least, because they are a good defensive team. Now granted, they just got done playing the Devils, a team that couldn't score if the net was empty the entire game, but they played well defensively and Lundqvist outplayed Brodeur. However, it would be a much bigger chore for the Rangers against the Pens because our top 2 lines obviously create matchup problems, and because the Rags' D is suspect. The only chance they'd have is if Lundqvist outplayed Fleury and Fags shows up for once.

X-Terminator
04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Montreal beats Boston 5-0 to win their series and the Caps win 4-2 over the Flyers to force Game 7 tomorrow night. So it'll either be the Caps or the Rangers in the next round.

HometownGal
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Montreal beats Boston 5-0 to win their series and the Caps win 4-2 over the Flyers to force Game 7 tomorrow night. So it'll either be the Caps or the Rangers in the next round.

The Bruins got their asses handed to them. Damn it. I'm going to be pulling for the Caps tomorrow night. The Pens have handled Ovechkin well in the past and I see no reason why that wouldn't continue in Round #2 of the playoffs.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Very interesting read on Hossa. Never say never (though I don't want to risk losing Ryan Malone in order to pay that $7 million +)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_563597.html

Pittsburgh growing on Pens' Hossa
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Do not interpret Marian Hossa's growing interest in Pittsburgh's tax structure as a sign he plans to take permanent residence in the city.

The place is growing on him, though - and that point could prove favorable to the Penguins' attempt at keeping Hossa, set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1

"You can tell this is a hockey city, and that's really important to me," Hossa said Monday following an off-ice workout at Mellon Arena. "I've got a bunch of things to look at. Hopefully I will make the right decision.

"But that's definitely a factor."

Hossa has long been presumed a sure bet to test free agency for the first time, even though he acknowledges a fondness for the city that has served as his temporary home since the Penguins acquired him Feb. 26 from Atlanta along with forward Pascal Dupuis.

That presumption seems no less off-base as the Penguins prepare for an Eastern Conference semifinal playoff series.

Hossa earned $7 million this season and figures to at least equal that next season. The Penguins will have enough room under the yet-to-be-determined salary cap to keep him, especially if he grants them a so-called hometown discount.

His glowing assessment of Pittsburgh suggests that scenario is not out of the question.

"You feel the atmosphere everywhere here," Hossa said. "I've been in two different markets. Ottawa was an extreme hockey market. Atlanta was not a hockey market. Pittsburgh is a hockey market, and I like that atmosphere. You wake up the day of the game and there is a buzz. I like that."

Hossa lives within walking distance of PNC Park and Heinz Field. He would not oppose continuing to call Mellon Arena his home rink and play the next few seasons with a core consisting of centers Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.

Aside from Crosby, each of those players could reach long-term deals with the Penguins this summer. Ownership, with the promise of a new arena set to open in 2010, has committed to spending near the cap starting next season. But general manager Ray Shero has indicated keeping that core intact is his top priority.

Shero does not plan to open contract talks with any player, including Hossa, until after the playoffs.

Until then, he can hope Hossa's appreciation for Pittsburgh grows - and that seems the surest bet of all, even if friend and former Penguins player Ronald Petrovicky recently warned him of the city's 3 percent wage tax.

"I talked to him about that the other day," Hossa said. "For everything I like about Pittsburgh, I'm not sure I like that.

"It's the best of all worlds here. It's like the perfect middle ground. In Canada, everybody knows you and you never get a free moment. In Atlanta, nobody knows you at all outside of hockey. Here, you have a great hockey atmosphere, but if you want to disappear, you can go somewhere and people don't bug you. I like that about Pittsburgh.

"I like (Pittsburgh) a lot."

X-Terminator
04-22-2008, 09:59 AM
That is a great read HTG, and it's nice that Hoss likes it here. But if he truly wants to stay here, he's going to have to offer the Pens a hometown discount if they have any intention or hopes of keeping Malone. There simply isn't room long-term for both of them if he doesn't, not when at the start of the 2009-10 season they will likely have nearly 40% of their available cap space tied up into just 5 players, with Crosby and Malkin alone taking up at least 25%. It's going to be one or the other, and as I said, I'd rather keep Malone over Hoss if it does come to that.

lilyoder6
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
poor boston lost last nite 5-0 :crying02:

when is the next game 4 the pens again...

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
poor boston lost last nite 5-0 :crying02:

when is the next game 4 the pens again...

We won't know until after the Caps/Flyers game tonight.

BettisFan
04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
wow 5-0 looks like we know who really wanted to go on, its going to be hard fellas but Pens got this! Go Pens!!

Lord Stiller
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
anyone have an idea of the Pens schedule?

here is my guess:

If Washington loses we play the Rangers Thurday and Saturday

Now, If Washington wins do they get an extra day of rest and we play them Friday and Sunday?

Thursday, Saturday games work a lot better for my weekend plans

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
WTF?????? Gonchar not even being considered for the Norris? :bs::uhh: I can understand Lidstrom being on the list of finalists and even winning the coveted trophy, but Zdeno Chara??? Sarge outscored him, was a +13 on the season, finished 2nd in scoring behind Lidstrom, was 1st in PPGs among defensemen and averaged 25 minutes PG most of the season. Gonchar was robbed.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=361156

Lord Stiller
04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
WTF?????? Gonchar not even being considered for the Norris? :bs::uhh: I can understand Lidstrom being on the list of finalists and even winning the coveted trophy, but Zdeno Chara??? Sarge outscored him, was a +13 on the season, finished 2nd in scoring behind Lidstrom, was 1st in PPGs among defensemen and averaged 25 minutes PG most of the season. Gonchar was robbed.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=361156

yeah, Therrien spoke out about it also. I was a little ticked at first but then when i saw the 3 candidates i wasnt that upset. It's Lidstrom's award anyways

There is only 1 individual award i want to see a Penguin win, the Conn Smythe :tt03:

OneForTheToe
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
anyone have an idea of the Pens schedule?

here is my guess:

If Washington loses we play the Rangers Thurday and Saturday

Now, If Washington wins do they get an extra day of rest and we play them Friday and Sunday?

Thursday, Saturday games work a lot better for my weekend plans

If the Pens do play the Caps, there is a possibilty that NBC might want their game as their GOTW with the AO vs Crosby match-up as their a tag. If that is the case I am not sure how that might work out. Game two on Sunday?

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Flyers and Caps are tied up at 2-2 with 4-1/2 left in the 2nd period.

At this point, I don't care who we play. I feel the Pens, if they play like they did in the Sens series, can beat anyone. :drink:

SteelCityMan786
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I guess the Flyers wanted to see that Fagmoir gets one last series of harassments in Pittsburgh.

Final in OT. Flyers 3, Capitals 2.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I guess the Flyers wanted to see that Fagmoir gets one last series of harassments in Pittsburgh.

I'll be more than happy to oblige them! :thumbsup::applaudit:

Bring on the Fagomir and the Rags! :drink:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/ASFTonnage/jagr.jpg

Lord Stiller
04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Caps blow it

Pens vs Rangers, I hear it starts Friday

SteelCityMan786
04-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll be more than happy to oblige them! :thumbsup::applaudit:

Bring on the Fagomir and the Rags! :drink:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/ASFTonnage/jagr.jpg

I can smell it. You have a few hecklings ready for the ol NY Bastid!!!!

Edman
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Sweet. Another chance to stick it to Fagomir and the Rags.

HometownGal
04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I can smell it. You have a few hecklings ready for the ol NY Bastid!!!!

Hell yeah I do. I couldn't stand his arrogant ass when he was here and I can't stand him even more now. He wouldn't be shit if it weren't for Mario and Ron Francis - he owes his successes to both of them. It sickens me to look up at the Ring Of Honor at Mellon Arena and see Baby Huey up there with the "C" on his jersey. I realize he was a part of the Pens' Stanley Cup successes in the early 90's, but as far as I'm concerned, he never conducted himself as a captain. He doesn't in NY either - Shanny is more of a captain than he is.

That "C" on his uniform doesn't stand for Captain. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Hell yeah I do. I couldn't stand his arrogant ass when he was here and I can't stand him even more now. He wouldn't be shit if it weren't for Mario and Ron Francis - he owes his successes to both of them. It sickens me to look up at the Ring Of Honor at Mellon Arena and see Baby Huey up there with the "C" on his jersey. I realize he was a part of the Pens' Stanley Cup successes in the early 90's, but as far as I'm concerned, he never conducted himself as a captain. He doesn't in NY either - Shanny is more of a captain than he is.

What, does his C stand for Chump?

X-Terminator
04-23-2008, 12:18 AM

The only thing that sucks about it is that we won't be able to serenade him in person. But believe me, I'll be giving him hell from my living room!

As far as hockey goes, though, this is not the matchup I had hoped for. If there's one team left in the field that is capable of beating the Pens, it's the Rangers with Lundqvist in goal. If he is on his game, he is capable of winning the series almost by himself. And as much as we all love sticking to Fags, I'm sure he'd like nothing more than to bounce the Pens out of the playoffs. This will be a very tough series, no question about it, and the Pens will have to be on top of their game if they're to win.

OneForTheToe
04-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet but here is the schedule for the Rags series:

No. 2 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. No. 5 New York Rangers
Friday, April 25 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Sunday, April 27 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, 2 p.m.
Tuesday, April 29 -- Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Thursday, May 1 -- Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
*Sunday, May 4 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, 2 p.m.
*Monday, May 5 -- Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
*Wednesday, May 7 -- NY Rangers at Pittsburgh, TBD

Those Sunday games must be NBC games, IHTB. I said earlier that I thought the Pens might get a Sunday game if they played the Caps. It looks like they could get two. Obiously that's a good decision, since you have the team with the biggest Star in the league going against the team from the largest TV market.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3362658

Here is the schedule from NBC:

Clearly the Pens are the Sunday game(s) since all other games our night on this (these) Sunday(s). They are also having Saturday games with Detroit and Colorado:

Saturday, April 26, 3 p.m. ET
Conference semifinals (Game 2)

Sunday, April 27, 2 p.m. ET
Conference seminfals (Game 2)

Saturday, May 3, 1 p.m. ET
Conference semifinals (Game 5 if necessary)

Sunday, May 4, 2 p.m. ET
Conference semifinals (Game 6 if necessary)

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23030609/

OneForTheToe
04-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Just wanted to note one thing about this schedule: if this series goes 6 games, there will be no travel day off between the 5th and 6th game. Granted, the 5th game would be an afternoon game in the burgh going on to NY for a night game, but still ... that could be a decisive factor in what is bound to be a bone-crunching series.

X-Terminator
04-23-2008, 07:29 AM
The games that aren't on NBC will also be broadcast locally by FSN Pittsburgh. If they make it to the Conference Final and/or Stanley Cup Final, then Versus and NBC have exclusive rights, which I think is ridiculous. But that's the NHL for you.

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 07:47 AM
What, does his C stand for Chump?

Uhhhh......no. :wink02:

stlrtruck
04-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed this morning on ESPN but the regular season was won by the rangers 5-3. And while the regular season doesn't mean a thing today, it does correlate to what was said earlier - the Pens have to be on their game every night.

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed this morning on ESPN but the regular season was won by the rangers 5-3. And while the regular season doesn't mean a thing today, it does correlate to what was said earlier - the Pens have to be on their game every night.

Yes they do, most definitely. My big concern is that the Pens did not score a win in MSG this season, but as you said, the regular season is in the past now so anything can happen. I think the Pens will win this series, but they are going to have to get that 2-0 advantage headed into NY. We're not going to blank them like we did the Sens.

Lord Stiller
04-23-2008, 08:42 AM
That is so gay we dont play till Friday

we should play Thursday, F*** Canada

lilyoder6
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
:o so harsh words... i guess they wanted to give the canadians a lil rest.. hope the pens demolish them

Counselor
04-23-2008, 10:31 AM

we lost the regular season series with Ottawa too. In fact I don't know that there was an Eastern Conference team that we did with the season series against---only maybe the Caps and Devils who are out of it. It doesn't mean a lot at this point.

Both teams are talented and it will be a tough series, no doubt. But from what I've read, I think the Pens have the right attitude going in. I think they expected to play the Rangers and are looking forward to it. I heard a rumor that Rutuu has "something" on Avery and gets him to shut up pretty quickly. I'll be interested to see how that goes down. I certainly don't see the Pens letting Avery get away with the BS he did in Jersey.

HometownGal
04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I heard a rumor that Rutuu has "something" on Avery and gets him to shut up pretty quickly. I'll be interested to see how that goes down. I certainly don't see the Pens letting Avery get away with the BS he did in Jersey.

I heard that same rumor. The Devils allowed Avery to get inside of their heads - I can guarantee you that won't happen with the Pens because Ruutu simply won't allow it - LOL! I think Ruutu will get inside of a few of the Rangers' heads, starting with Fagomir - Ruutu is like a gnat buzzing around and though you may swat him, he aint going away. :toofunny:

It's going to be a good series and as I felt with the Ottawa series, the Pens are simply the more talented team in the long run imho.

BettisFan
04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
alright guys the pens gotta up their game, With all this rest they might be a little off for game 1, i am looking maybe for a game one loss SCREW THIS STUFF LETS THE PENS PLAY ALREADY!

Borski
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I think they'll do fine, if they are rusty I think it will only be for the 1st period. but I predict a first game win. I wouldn't put it past em for another sweep but lets get the first game out of the way first.

SteelCityMan786
04-24-2008, 06:18 PM
The games that aren't on NBC will also be broadcast locally by FSN Pittsburgh. If they make it to the Conference Final and/or Stanley Cup Final, then Versus and NBC have exclusive rights, which I think is ridiculous. But that's the NHL for you.

Not Games 1, 2, 3, and 5. Versus and NBC Hold exclusive rights to those games. 4, 6, and 7 are as good as FSN's. I agree though that it's bull crap FSN can't broadcast any of The Conference Finals, or the Stanley Cup. I mean lets say the announcers acted so biased against a team that the fans would get sick of it. Don't they think they'd like to hear another set of announcers?

HometownGal
04-24-2008, 06:39 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/pwbrophy/rangerssuckchurchsign.jpg

Edman
04-24-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_563998.html

Jagr's unwelcome homecoming
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 24, 2008

One of Jaromir Jagr's final acts before leaving Pittsburgh seven years ago was to autograph a No. 68 Penguins sweater for Eddie Johnston.

"He wouldn't sign anything for anybody else," said Johnston, a former Penguins general manager and coach. "It was different from when I came back as coach (in 1993) - he and I had a confrontation about power-play time. I was waiting for it because he had argued with Scotty (Bowman) about it the previous year. But Jagr and I had it out right away, and we laughed about it right after, and we have ever since.

"I was one of the lucky ones. I got along terrific with him."

Once upon a time, Pittsburghers did, too.

In fact, Jagr was once loved like few other athletes by local fans. That truth will seem like fiction when a sellout crowd at Mellon Area showers him with a chorus of boos every time he steps onto the ice Friday for Game 1 of a second-round Stanley Cup playoff showdown between the Penguins and New York Rangers.

"Penguins fans are hard-core, and they remember everything," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "Friday is going to be the same thing it's been for him since he left. It may be worse."

It may be irony that the Penguins could prove the great obstacle between Jagr and a third championship to cap a surefire Hall-of-Fame career. Various international media outlets have reported that Jagr may choose to continue his playing career in Russia.

"He might be thinking this is his last chance to win the Cup again," Gonchar said. "He is a great, proud player. He'll want to go out on top."

Pittsburghers no doubt believe he should have gone out as a Penguin.

Jagr is inarguably the second greatest player in franchise history - and arguably the most reviled opposing player to skate at Mellon Arena since his demand for a trade was granted by then-general manager Craig Patrick following the 2001 playoffs.

"It's been a long time - (seven) years," Jagr said. "But I have a lot of great memories. That was probably the place where I played my best hockey."

Drafted by the Penguins fifth overall in 1990, Jagr helped them win the Stanley Cup each of his initial two seasons. He led the NHL in scoring five times and won an MVP over the course of his tenure.

The letters of his first name formed an anagram for "Mario Jr.", and during his wildly successful days with the Penguins he never truly escaped the shadow of franchise legend Mario Lemieux, his acknowledged boyhood idol.

"Everything I know I learned from him," Jagr said. "That's why you should never forget where you learned everything."

The citizens that once adored him have wiped Jagr's glory days from their memories. To them he is a traitor, not the second-leading scorer in Penguins history. They speak of his lowly two goals in 16 games during the 2001 playoffs, not his dominant performances in 10 previous postseasons - only three of which resulted in opening-round exits.

His demand for a trade not long after he claimed to be "dying alive" in Pittsburgh remains a fresh wound, even though the Penguins are now guided by an array of popular young stars, specifically Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, that point to a promise of a third championship Jagr regretted he could never deliver.

"I don't understand why he gets booed here," said right wing Petr Sykora, who rents Jagr's South Hills home, where miniature replicas of five Art Ross Trophies sit atop a living room mantle.

"He did some great things for the city. But I never hear him talk (about Pittsburgh)."

Gonchar said Jagr did not discuss the Penguins when he arrived in Washington after a trade between the Penguins and Capitals on July 11, 2001.

"You hear guys say he was different in the end here, but he was normal, just like everybody else, when he arrived in Washington," Gonchar said. "It's kind of normal to get booed in the city where you once played. It happens to me in Washington. But he does not deserve it in Pittsburgh. He did everything for the team here."

Now he hopes to prevent the Penguins' supercharging evolution by one season - a feat that would complete his Anakin Skywalker-like transformation into Pittsburgh's hockey version of Darth Vader.

"There is no question his number belongs (retired) here with Mario's," Johnston said. "Let's just hope he doesn't remind everybody of that over the next few games."

Edman
04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
"But he does not deserve it in Pittsburgh. He did everything for the team here."

He did, but he does nothing for the Penguins now. He's a detriment. An opponent. So he deserves it. He wanted to bail out on Pittsburgh and ditched us, so screw him. He's the enemy. I don't cheer for the enemy. He's a traitor.

HometownGal
04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
In fact, Jagr was once loved like few other athletes by local fans.

Not by this long-time local fan. I always saw him as a pompous little punk who grew (literally) into a fat pompous ass. :pig:

"Penguins fans are hard-core, and they remember everything," defenseman Sergei Gonchar said. "Friday is going to be the same thing it's been for him since he left. It may be worse."

Darned tootin' Sarge - we do remember everything, especially an ungrateful, back-stabbing whining crybaby like Jagr. Yes - the boo's will be deafening and he deserves every single one of them and then some.

Pittsburghers no doubt believe he should have gone out as a Penguin.

Not this Pittsburgher. I was thrilled when he left.

Jagr is inarguably the second greatest player in franchise history

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: Stop it- you're killing me! :rofl::rofl: He was a cherry picker who fed off of Mario and Ron Francis. To this day, it is rare that you will see him go into the corner to dig out a puck - he's too busy waiting for that nice little pass from one of his linemates to come his way.

"It's been a long time - (seven) years," Jagr said. "But I have a lot of great memories. That was probably the place where I played my best hockey."

Well - no shit Sherlock. See my response above.

"Everything I know I learned from him," Jagr said. "That's why you should never forget where you learned everything."

And you should never forget the hand that "fed" you either, you miserable Mama's boy.

The citizens that once adored him have wiped Jagr's glory days from their memories. To them he is a traitor

To me he's just Baby Huey on skates (and an asshole).

But he does not deserve it in Pittsburgh. He did everything for the team here."

Sorry, Sarge - I have to disagree with you. Without Mario, Ronnie Francis and some of the other guys from those Stanley Cup teams, he wouldn't have the career numbers he has and never would have commanded that huge contract he got from the Caps when he left the Pens.

"There is no question his number belongs (retired) here with Mario's," Johnston said.

:rofl::rofl: No way. He never did and never will make a hair on Mario's behind. It's bad enough he is on our Ring of Honor wearing the "C" that he didn't deserve or earn.

I can't stomach him - gee - who ever would have known? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
04-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Could not have said it any better myself, HTG! Great job! :thumbsup:

(That's what I wanted to say in the rep, but I'm still getting used to this damn new keyboard)

X-Terminator
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Not Games 1, 2, 3, and 5. Versus and NBC Hold exclusive rights to those games. 4, 6, and 7 are as good as FSN's. I agree though that it's bull crap FSN can't broadcast any of The Conference Finals, or the Stanley Cup. I mean lets say the announcers acted so biased against a team that the fans would get sick of it. Don't they think they'd like to hear another set of announcers?

Actually FSN Pittsburgh will carry Game 3. Games 1, 2 and 4 are Versus/NBC exclusive games and FSN will likely carry Game 6, if necessary. That could possibly mean no home games on FSN this round, which is completely ridiculous.

HometownGal
04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Could not have said it any better myself, HTG! Great job! :thumbsup:

(That's what I wanted to say in the rep, but I'm still getting used to this damn new keyboard)

You of all people know how I feel about Fagomir - LOL! :chuckle:

Can't wait until tomorrow night's game - I've got my boo's all ready for him - you'll probably be able to hear me from my living room. :drink:

fansince'76
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Can't wait until tomorrow night's game - I've got my boo's all ready for him - you'll probably be able to hear me from my living room. :drink:

Is it safe to assume that the slipper will be getting a workout? :chuckle:

Petesburgh66
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
That is so gay we dont play till Friday

we should play Thursday, F*** Canada

F*** Canada, really? I guess Crosby and Lemieux were Russians. If you going to be mad, blame NBC. They are the ones who are screwing up the playoff schedule, not Hockey Night In Canada.

X-Terminator
04-25-2008, 12:40 AM

Oh I'm sure I will! Here's hoping he gets a nice introduction from Messrs. Roberts, Ruutu and Gill! :drink:

F*** Canada, really? I guess Crosby and Lemieux were Russians. If you going to be mad, blame NBC. They are the ones who are screwing up the playoff schedule, not Hockey Night In Canada.

Absolutely correct - it ain't Canada's fault. Were it not for the ridiculous contract that the NHL signed with Versus/NBC, giving them exclusive rights to most games after the first round, the Pens would have played last night or Wednesday night instead of tonight. I really miss the days when the local/regional networks had more pull and most of the games, but there's no money in that for the league. So instead, we have what we have, and it sucks. There's no reason why any team should have to wait 7-9 days to play again just because they wrapped up their series early. I believe the Rangers had a 10-day layoff last season after sweeping the Thrashers in the first round. That never happened back in the day.

HometownGal
04-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Is it safe to assume that the slipper will be getting a workout? :chuckle:

That is a very correct assumption. :chuckle: If I wasn't worried about breaking my TV screen, he'd get the tennis shoe. :laughing:

Lord Stiller
04-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Ok, i retract my statement. I thought it was because of HNIC

why couldnt we play thursday and sunday though?

oh well, tonights the night! Lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Stiller
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Roberts is not playing tonight: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08116/876554-61.stm

also, here are our D pairings for tonight:

Gonchar - Orpik
Gill - Scuderi
Whitney - Letang

I liked it better when it was Gill & Letang and Whitney & Scuderi

HometownGal
04-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Roberts is not playing tonight: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08116/876554-61.stm

also, here are our D pairings for tonight:

Gonchar - Orpik
Gill - Scuderi
Whitney - Letang

I liked it better when it was Gill & Letang and Whitney & Scuderi

I like the Gill/Letang pairing better myself, but I'm sure Therrien has his reasons for changing up for the Rags.

It's gonna be a white-out in Pittsburgh tonight! :tt03:

LETS GO PENS! :banana:

lilyoder6
04-25-2008, 04:53 PM
lets go pens... 15 goals between makilin and crosby i think.. very very nice :0

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
I heard all week how the Rangers don't have a defense or an offense but in Game 1 they seem to be proving a lot of those experts wrong....and while it's only the 2nd period the boys in black look overwhelmed right now!

I'm trusting the boys to right the ship before the next 40 minutes ends!!!

X-Terminator
04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I heard all week how the Rangers don't have a defense or an offense but in Game 1 they seem to be proving a lot of those experts wrong....and while it's only the 2nd period the boys in black look overwhelmed right now!

I'm trusting the boys to right the ship before the next 40 minutes ends!!!

I don't know where they would get that they don't have a good defense - they were one of the best defensive teams in the league this season. The offense, yes - they don't score a lot of goals. But I think the layoff has helped them and hurt the Pens, and they took full advantage of it.

EDIT: And just as I say that, the Pens get two quick ones and are right back in it!

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
EDIT: And just as I say that, the Pens get two quick ones and are right back in it!

Yeah after I typed my message I was getting my daughter ready for bed - goal. Then I'm taking her to bed - goal.

But anyway, from what I've heard from the so-called experts, some of them were talking about the rangers having a soft defense.

However, what I noticed early in the game is that the Pens have stronger legs and I think the third period is going to prove to be too much for the rangers.

But I've also realized another thing about having too much time off. Those same experts get to twist it either way they want it. Too much time off and the team wins, they were able to use the rest, or if they lose - it was too much time off and they were rusty...shadup already!!

Let's GO PENS!!!! 20 minutes - 2 goals and an empty netter!

tony hipchest
04-25-2008, 09:08 PM
what a rebound! these goals are coming in fluries! (no pun intended)

GutterflowerSteel
04-25-2008, 09:12 PM
LET'S GO PENS! Sykora just scored the tiebreaker to make it 4-3 in the 3rd period - that was 2 goals in 20 seconds :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Now I just need the empty netter to be self-considered as a hockey expert. Wonder if ESPN needs someone to actually tell it like it is.

tony hipchest
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
:jawdrop: no way hossa just shot that through the defenders skate blade! are you freaking kidding me?

amazing

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Jagr needs a nice little reminder about what plexiglas tastes like.

TackleMeBen
04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Jagr needs a nice little reminder about what plexiglas tastes like.
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 09:32 PM
ggggGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLL!!!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!
LET'S GO PENS!!!!

I haven't been this excited about hockey since before the strike!!!

TackleMeBen
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
it has been a good game since the second period.

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I want to hear someone ask Jagr the following question...What does iron sound like?

TackleMeBen
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I want to hear someone ask Jagr the following question...What does iron sound like?
LOL..:sofunny::sofunny:

stlrtruck
04-25-2008, 09:40 PM
And someone please as the Jagoff to shave that silly shite off his face - he looks like a dang fool. I guess someone forgot to tell him - in the playoffs you grow beards!!!

X-Terminator
04-25-2008, 09:43 PM

It's the most beautiful sound in the world when your team wins!

And I'm being honest here - I wasn't even worried when they were down 3-0, because they have so much firepower and have the ability to score quickly, which they did. Was I disappointed in the start? Of course. But I never lost faith. What a comeback and what an effort by the Pens to come away with the victory tonight! :drink::thumbsup:

Steeler in Carolina
04-25-2008, 09:48 PM
What a great game tonight. That play was rocking tonight. Wish I was there. Now, if the Pirates can come back against Philly.

HometownGal
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Bwa hahahahaha!!!! Poor Baby Huey. :crying01::crying01::crying01:

What a great game!!! I wore my trusty black 'n gold lucky Pens bracelet and it continues to come through! :tt03: My boy Ruuuuuutu gets the first goal which made my night! :thumbsup: That last minute was the damned longest minute I've ever experienced.

Taking Game 1 is very important and the Pens came through. Way to go Pens!!! :drink:

Atlanta Dan
04-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow - not a big hockey fan but it was a Pittsburgh team and Versus had it on high def - wow!

What a great game - closest Steelers analogy for me would be the Maddox Steelers coming back against the Browns in 2003 (although hopefully this team goes much further than the Maddox Steelers)

HometownGal
04-25-2008, 10:03 PM
And someone please as the Jagoff to shave that silly shite off his face - he looks like a dang fool. I guess someone forgot to tell him - in the playoffs you grow beards!!!

Someone needs to tell Tubby Tuba that looking like a fat Ho Chi Minh just ain't cool. :laughing:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=40590@kdka.dayport.com

Edman
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Nobody said this was going to be easy. The Rags know us and we know them.

...But we know them more.

Way to go Penguins!:applaudit:

Hamer
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
WHAT A GAME!
Well, I'm glad the Pens were able to shake off the "sweep rust" and still come back and take the game.
Down 0-3 and coming out with a win isn't something you see every day!
WOW!

X-Terminator
04-25-2008, 10:34 PM
WHAT A GAME!
Well, I'm glad the Pens were able to shake off the "sweep rust" and still come back and take the game.
Down 0-3 and coming out with a win isn't something you see every day!
WOW!

Yeah, it's only happened twice now in Pens history, and the last (first) time was 16 years ago. Usually when you're down 3-0 in a playoff game, it's pretty much over, but the guys really buckled down and got the job done, as ugly as it was. As HTG said, that is a very important win - if the Rangers win the game, they would have stolen home ice advantage and would have given them a lot more confidence that they could take the series. Now, you have to wonder if their confidence will be shaken a bit after blowing a big lead like that. On the other side of things, let's hope that the Pens will now bear down and tighten up defensively - they were very loose all night long and led to some quality chances for the Rangers. I attribute that to the long layoff - let's face it, you lose your edge and rhythm when you've been off that long. Regardless, Game 2 will be very, very interesting on Sunday. If the Pens win, they will take a stranglehold on the series, IMO.

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
The Cardiac Kids Struck AGAIN on us. What a game.

Oh and Fagmior, I present you my first........:fingers: of the series.

GBMelBlount
04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow - not a big hockey fan but it was a Pittsburgh team and Versus had it on high def - wow!

What a great game - closest Steelers analogy for me would be the Maddox Steelers coming back against the Browns in 2003 (although hopefully this team goes much further than the Maddox Steelers)

Ditto, I am not a big hockey fan and have only been to a few games the last several years. This is the first game I can remember watching the penguins play on TV in ages. What a nail biter!

The Duke
04-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I miss the first period and part of the 2nd and they're losing 0-3, all of the sudden they're right back in the game.

this team really fought together tonight, after a long break they seemed rusty, but the stars lived up to their name, malkin and Crosby were just fantastic, and the vets did a great job too, hossa is just awesome!

best game so far, and I really can't wait for the next

stlrtruck
04-26-2008, 12:53 AM
It's the most beautiful sound in the world when your team wins!

And I'm being honest here - I wasn't even worried when they were down 3-0, because they have so much firepower and have the ability to score quickly, which they did. Was I disappointed in the start? Of course. But I never lost faith. What a comeback and what an effort by the Pens to come away with the victory tonight! :drink::thumbsup:

I won't lie, I was a little bothered by the first period and worried the way the rangers were playing that they would take this game. However, I definitely felt that we have the series.

stlrtruck
04-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Someone needs to tell Tubby Tuba that looking like a fat Ho Chi Minh just ain't cool. :laughing:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=40590@kdka.dayport.com

Can he sound and act any more uncomfortable. He acts like he's waiting to get attack by some rabid fan or something....I mean it's not like Pittsburgh fans are serious about their sports (and drinking) :drink: :kick: :tt03:

And what's up with the Hitler(ish) upper lip hair???? Damn jagoff has gone downhill quickly since his departure...I guess his stay in DC really messed him up.

stlrtruck
04-26-2008, 01:00 AM
The Cardiac Kids Struck AGAIN on us. What a game.

Oh and Fagmior, I present you my first........:fingers: of the series.

May you happily give him a clean sweep of them

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
At least Avery has his post-season plans lined up

Macho man and provocateur Sean Avery -- by some accounts the most hated player in the National Hockey League -- will be joining the estrogen-infused world of fashion as an unpaid intern at Vogue magazine.

"He is ridiculously obsessed with fashion," Avery's publicist Nicole Chabot told ABCNews.com. "He loves it more than anything in the world. It's something he has always wanted to do."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=4704620&page=1

:laughing:

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
May you happily give him a clean sweep of them

I've got 3 more of them for this round. And 11 more left to give out for this years Stanley Cup Playoff!!!!!

BettisFan
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
that was an amazing comeback last night! Go Pens!

HometownGal
04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
The Rangers fans are still boo-hoo'ing. :crying01::crying01: Envy just doesn't look very pretty on them. :toofunny::toofunny: It's actually kind of sad that they are so delusional.

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

fansince'76
04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
The Rangers fans are still boo-hoo'ing. :crying01::crying01: Envy just doesn't look very pretty on them. :toofunny::toofunny: It's actually kind of sad that they are so delusional.

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

So I guess "Crosby's dive" in the 3rd explains them choking away a 3-goal lead? Sound like Pats* fans trying to explain the SB choke against the Giants, and they're every bit as pathetic.

Petesburgh66
04-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Yeah, it's only happened twice now in Pens history, and the last (first) time was 16 years ago. Usually when you're down 3-0 in a playoff game, it's pretty much over, but the guys really buckled down and got the job done, as ugly as it was. As HTG said, that is a very important win - if the Rangers win the game, they would have stolen home ice advantage and would have given them a lot more confidence that they could take the series. Now, you have to wonder if their confidence will be shaken a bit after blowing a big lead like that. On the other side of things, let's hope that the Pens will now bear down and tighten up defensively - they were very loose all night long and led to some quality chances for the Rangers. I attribute that to the long layoff - let's face it, you lose your edge and rhythm when you've been off that long. Regardless, Game 2 will be very, very interesting on Sunday. If the Pens win, they will take a stranglehold on the series, IMO.

Your right. When a team goes up 3-0 in a game, you expect the game to be over. But this years playoffs have been some what different and fun to watch. Most of the trapping and boring crap I hate about the game hasn't really shown up. The free flowing aspect of the game is back and hopefully will stay until the end of the finals.

Petesburgh66
04-27-2008, 01:40 AM
So I guess "Crosby's dive" in the 3rd explains them choking away a 3-goal lead? Sound like Pats* fans trying to explain the SB choke against the Giants, and they're every bit as pathetic.

Even if Crobsy didn't go down, he was interfered with and that is still a penalty. That could have easily been a 2-1 or a 2-0 if Straka didn't interfere with Crosby. Straka and the Ranger fans can whine all they want, it was the right call by the ref.

HometownGal
04-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I think Therrien sums it up best below:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08118/876962-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Therrien says his star is no flopper
Sunday, April 27, 2008

There's nothing new about opponents trying to label Penguins center Sidney Crosby a diver, or at least embellishing the effect of infractions committed against him.

It's been a staple in some quarters since former Philadelphia coach Ken Hitchprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilter profanityfilter trotted out that smear for the first time during Crosby's rookie season.

There also is nothing new about the spirited rebuttals that Crosby's teammates and bosses invariably put forth anytime those accusations are submitted for public consumption.

Penguins coach Michel Therrien, however, offered a particularly vigorous -- and totally unsolicited -- defense of Crosby while speaking with reporters after his team's practice yesterday at Mellon Arena.

Therrien said the New York Rangers' complaints about Crosby -- both in the days leading up to their second-round series and after he drew an interference minor on Martin Straka that led to the winning goal in Game 1 Friday -- are not only unfounded, but a transparent attempt to influence officials' judgment in future games.

An abridged version of Therrien's remarks:

"Where I'm kind of disappointed is that there is gamesmanship happening before the series, about Sidney drawing penalties. I'm kind of disappointed about that. This is a star player who [goes] into traffic, is a powerful skater, and when a star player like that goes into traffic and plays in traffic, he's going to draw penalties.

"We all know what [New York coach] Tom Renney has tried to do. He tried to do it before we started the series, and I saw his comments [after Game 1]. He tried to get the attention of the referees [by] complaining about the penalty at the end of the game.

"As far as I'm concerned -- and as far as we're all concerned -- [the call on Straka] was not even close. In the 1990s, I could understand if they let those [infractions] go. But with the new game, it's about speed, it's about making sure good players get the chance to make plays.

"We know what [Renney] is trying to do, but I'm convinced the referees don't buy into those things, and the league doesn't buy into those things. ... Sometimes, [Crosby] is going to draw penalties, sometimes there aren't going to be penalties. But he's going to keep going there."

HometownGal
04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
I am going to miss the Pens game this afternoon, as I will be at the Pirates game, but I'll have my headset on and listening to every single second of that game!

LETS GO PENS!!! You guys showed not only your ability to come back from a deficit, but more character than I've seen out of any NHL team in recent seasons. :tt03::thumbsup:

Here's to going to New York up 2-0! :drink:

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
i was messing with the rangers fan on another message board the other night. they were complaining about the refs and the calls. i was so loving it..i hate the rangers.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Whats the link to where i cant watch pens game online?

OneForTheToe
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Games about to start. Come on Pens put the Rangers down 0-2.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
look like we are about to win the game its 1-0 3 minutes left in the game

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM
we are up 2-0 i think we got it

Petesburgh66
04-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Avery is really a dumb shit for trying to start something at the end of the game with BOTH Gill and Laraque on the ice.

OneForTheToe
04-27-2008, 05:09 PM
great game. avery you are an *ss.

Nice job Stahl and Fleury, particularly.

BettisFan
04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Go Pens!!!

Steeler in Carolina
04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Great win today. Now, we need to get the next one in NY.

Edman
04-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Wow. I was caught up so much in the draft that I didn't pay much attention to the game. Looks like Fleury is back to being dominant after being rusty in game 1. That's good!

Time to drop the Rags down 3 in MSG. GO Penguins!

HometownGal
04-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Avery is really a dumb shit for trying to start something at the end of the game with BOTH Gill and Laraque on the ice.

Avery just put a bullseye on his back for the next game. What a jacka$$.

Great game by the Pens all the way around today. :tt03: I only got to see the 3rd period at a restaurant near PNC Park after the Pirates game, but the Pens looked very, very strong and confident.

On to MSG for Games 3 & 4. I think they're going to split and come back here for Game 5 and win it in front of the home crowd. :thumbsup:

LETS GO PENS!

TackleMeBen
04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Avery just put a bullseye on his back for the next game. What a jacka$$.Great game by the Pens all the way around today. :tt03: LETS GO PENS!

i thought the same thing when i seen it. i was like are you kidding me. you are going to start something at the end of the game and know that they will be looking for you next game. i think it was out of frustration b/c the pens have made the rags look well like dirty dishrags...lol. .

SteelCityMan786
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
HEY FAGOMIR, I PRESENT YOU WITH MY SECOND........ :fingers:OF THE SERIES.

HometownGal
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
HEY FAGOMIR, I PRESENT YOU WITH MY SECOND........ :fingers:OF THE SERIES.

I second that motion. :countdown

Did you see where that fat load was heckling Sid today?? It was great seeing him knocked on that blubber butt several times today. :thumbsup:

The pressure is on the Rags now and I hope we see the Pens keep up with the intensity they are and have been showing in this series. I'm so damned proud of them! :tt03:

X-Terminator
04-28-2008, 12:28 AM

Did you see where that fat load was heckling Sid today?? It was great seeing him knocked on that blubber butt several times today. :thumbsup:

The pressure is on the Rags now and I hope we see the Pens keep up with the intensity they are and have been showing in this series. I'm so damned proud of them! :tt03:

I'd say that was a great defensive game by the Pens today - they really didn't give the Rags much of anything, despite the 26 shots they got. They did a good job of keeping everything on the perimeter and blocking shots when the Rags did get clear looks at the net. Fleury was good again, but he didn't have to make too many tough saves or face a lot of quality chances. The PK was great again and despite only netting the one goal by Staal, I thought the PP looked good - got a lot of shots, especially on their early opportunities. If it wasn't for Lundqvist playing so well, the Pens may have scored 2 or 3 goals in the first period, but he kept them in the game with key saves - the Pens and Fleury just slammed the door on them. As for Jagr, I don't know what the hell he was trying to pull by heckling Sid, because all he did was make himself look like a big, fat idiot. I hope he and the rest of the team does focus all of their attention on Sid - that way, it'll get them off their game while the Pens take care of business.

Now on to MSG for Game 3, where they did not win a game during the regular season and were badly outplayed in all 4 matchups. But this is the playoffs, and everything is different. The Pens MUST win Game 3, IMO - they cannot give the Rags any kind of life at all. All of the pressure is indeed on the Rags, and as such they expect them to come out storming, but if they can get through the first 10 minutes, they can get their game on track and hopefully come away with a win. If they do, then I think this series will be over by the weekend. :drink:

Counselor
04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

My favorite part of that whole exchange was when Talbot and Staal hustled over to the corner so they could keep the other Rangers away ----to give Gill and Laraque the opportunity to beat on the little Sh$t unhindered.

SteelCityMan786
04-28-2008, 05:11 PM

I did see those dirties from New York trying to pull that crap. SIT DOWN JAGR!

The sooner we get them out of the playoffs the better.

Oh and by the way the Rags fans are at it. In despair. I've gone 2 words to add about the state what they're riding.

BITTER BUS

Edman
04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Gotta like Avery getting a taste of his own medicine at the end of Game 2.

I'd love nothing more than to stick it the Rags at MSG in front of their fans. Git er' done Pens!

SteelCityMan786
04-28-2008, 06:29 PM
i was messing with the rangers fan on another message board the other night. they were complaining about the refs and the calls. i was so loving it..i hate the rangers.

They're riding the bitter bus. That's all.

Lord Stiller
04-28-2008, 11:26 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiIyH8QQbHw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiIyH8QQbHw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

steelpinstripe72
04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
For those that get CBC, the game will be on tonight (4/29). I was worried at first, because I thought it was only going to be on Versus. Which I don't get. But it's going to be on CBC, so yay.

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
that was a great video... thats nice it's on other than versus.. lets go pens.. go up 3-0 2nite

Edman
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Pens Strike first 1:02 into the game!

Hossa with the goal. 1-0 Pens!

Edman
04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
The end of a wild 1st period. 3-1 Penguins.

Rangers came out swinging, but the Pens held firm and took advantage of Rags mistakes.

How's this? Big Georges Laraque with a goal!

tony hipchest
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
brsutiful 5 on 3 defense and goaltending. even got a shot off!

damn, and as i type that comes another 5-3 :dang:

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
WOW!! i feel like a big dummy! I was just scrolling through my 300 channels.....and i see pens rangers game!!! OMGi am like what?! ...I have had vs channel this whole time just never knew! Well atleast i found out now! its 3-1 us 14 minutes left in the 2nd

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
we are playing amazing Defense

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Goal for ranger from callahan...
3-2 us

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 08:35 PM
rangers score again....... 3-3 six minutes left in the 2nd

fansince'76
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
And with a 5-3 win over the Rangers tonight, the Pens are now one game away from the conference finals! Good job! :applaudit: :tt02:

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
great win pens!! 5-3!!!

SteelCityMan786
04-29-2008, 10:42 PM
HEY FAGOMIR, I PRESENT YOU WITH MY THIRD........:fingers: OF THE SERIES.

lilyoder6
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
good game to watch.. i can see another sweep coming

Edman
04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
The brooms are warming up...

HometownGal
04-29-2008, 11:25 PM
HEY FAGOMIR, I PRESENT YOU WITH MY THIRD........:fingers: OF THE SERIES.

You (and the world) know how I feel about Fagomir the Pork Chop, but I have to give props to him for playing hard tonight - he seemed to be the only guy for the Rangers out there trying to make plays on offense. I so wanted to see Sid kick his ass when the two of them were jawing at each other - LOL!

Great game by the Pens and especially our D and our PK units killing off 5 Rags' PP's! :tt03: Fleury made some outstanding saves once again - he's been on fire basically since the day of his return. :drink:

Way to get 'er done Pens! Let's get that broom ready for the sweep on Thursday night! :applaudit::applaudit:

BettisFan
04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
now i get to watch all the games!! (i have VS!!!) lol yea its great

X-Terminator
04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
You (and the world) know how I feel about Fagomir the Pork Chop, but I have to give props to him for playing hard tonight - he seemed to be the only guy for the Rangers out there trying to make plays on offense. I so wanted to see Sid kick his ass when the two of them were jawing at each other - LOL!

Great game by the Pens and especially our D and our PK units killing off 5 Rags' PP's! :tt03: Fleury made some outstanding saves once again - he's been on fire basically since the day of his return. :drink:

Way to get 'er done Pens! Let's get that broom ready for the sweep on Thursday night! :applaudit::applaudit:

I'll give Fags props as well - he came to play tonight. Fortunately for us, he didn't play well enough to make up for "King Henry," who looked like dog shit tonight after he pretty much guaranteed that the Rags would win. Good job backing that up, brah! :sofunny:

This was the first game where the Pens were dominated, but yet they still found a way to get the job done. The PP and PK units definitely get the props tonight - they were the reason why they won. They did an outstanding job again tonight, killing off those virtual back-to-back 5-on-3s when they were up 3-1 and not giving the Rags any really good scoring opportunities on any of their PPs. And when they had their chances on the PP, they took full advantage. If you win the special teams battle, chances are you win the game, and tonight was a great example of it.

This is the game I wanted them to win - I did not want them to give the Rags any life. And now, they have a chance to get their second-straight sweep on Thursday night and send Fags off to Russia in grand style! :drink:

Lord Stiller
04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/keevin33/pensbroom.jpg

Edman
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't know what's going on, but this is a very special Penguins team. They're just rolling and finding ways to win. The Rangers threw all they could at them last night in front of a high-capacity home crowd, and still lost.

The Pens are one game away from a second consecutive series sweep...over a tough division rival that knows them well. They're playing the epitome of playoff hockey.

stlrtruck
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know what's going on, but this is a very special Penguins team. They're just rolling and finding ways to win. The Rangers threw all they could at them last night in front of a high-capacity home crowd, and still lost.

The Pens are one game away from a second consecutive series sweep...over a tough division rival that knows them well. They're playing the epitome of playoff hockey.

I hope it carries through this series, into the next, and then to the Championship series.

From what I've seen the Flyhers are playing some great D and their goalie has been lights out as well. From the west, Detroit has been on fire and they seem rejuvenated as well.

rbryan
04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Best part of last night was tuning in to the MSG Rangers postgame report. I love Direct TV...lol

Jagr looked like he was about to cry and even brought up the possibility that the next game may be his last.

Dodt
04-30-2008, 10:31 AM
man i am hoping philly wins there series . a pitt vs philly eastern final would be great.

lilyoder6
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
they wouldn't have to travel far 4 the away games... keept it up pens

Counselor
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Cardiac Kids strike again.

On a night when Jagr looked like his old self, and the Pens played their worst period of the playoffs (the 2nd), they still found a way to win. Kudos to Therrien on a well timed time-out. And to our special teams----Scuderi was a monster with all those blocks and Malkin's lazer shot was unstoppable.

Anyone see Laraque kiss Dan Potash at the conclusion of his interview between periods??? Classic!

Counselor
04-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Anyone hear about Avery lacerating his speen? He's out for the rest of the post-season. How ever long that might be.

rbryan
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Be careful what you wish for. It would be nice to have the home ice advantage for that extra game though. I guess as long as no one on the team says they want Philly it will be OK....lol

Lord Stiller
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I absolutely LOVE this team. No matter what happens from now on, I am so proud of this team. The way they stick up for each other and the way they never get rattled is very impressive.

I also love how our team can play any style we need to. If the opposing team wants to open up the game, we will outscore anyone. If the opposing team wants to buckle down and play tight D, we can do that too. If you want to goon up and take cheapshots, we got guys that will kick your arse!!!!!!!!!

GO PENS!!!!!!

rbryan
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Bottom line. Pens have more talent than anyone else, hands down. They've had that in the past but w/o the multiple enforcers like they do now. Couple that with the fact that the "Star " players can pretty much take care of themselves to begin with. Even Crosby is initiating contact and taking no crap from anyone. I know this is sacrilege, but that was never Mario's strong suit.

If they can keep this core intact the skys the limit. IMO theres no one who can beat them 4 times right now.

Edman
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3375123

Yep. Avery is hospitalized with a lacerated spleen. done for the playoffs, and perhaps the season. But I'm not gonna relish in it, even though he's a 110% douchebag.

Get well, Sean...you clown...

Counselor
04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3375123

Yep. Avery is hospitalized with a lacerated spleen. done for the playoffs, and perhaps the season. But I'm not gonna relish in it, even though he's a 110% douchebag.

Get well, Sean...you clown...

yeah, the spleen is nothing to mess with---just look at Chris Simms and Ryan Clark

SteelCityMan786
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM

He looked like the only guy who gave a darn other then Drury and maybe Avery. Once they tied it at 3, they died.

HometownGal
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
man i am hoping philly wins there series . a pitt vs philly eastern final would be great.

I'm with you on that Dodt. If the Pens win their series and the Flyers win theirs against the Habs, the Pens retain home ice advantage which is a huge bonus. :thumbsup:

I was very sorry to hear about Avery and wish him well. Though I have no respect for him as a player/opponent, I don't wish any ill will on him or any other opponent.

I just heard on KDKA Sportsbeat that Max Talbot injured his foot last night and is wearing a boot and did not practice today. He is listed as "day to day". Gary Roberts completed a full practice this afternoon and may play tomorrow night, though Therrien is still saying "we'll see".

EDIT: Story and link below:

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KDKA_Penguins

Talbot Hurt?
Posted by joryrand

So a couple interesting developments here at MSG this morning. First, and most important, the NY Daily News is reporting Sean Avery of the Rangers was found unconscious and unresponsive in his room last night and was rushed to the hospital at 3am. Imagining the worst here, what could this mean for this series? (Update: TSN is reporting Avery suffered a lacerated spleen and is on a respirator.) I'll try to get more on this. The Rangers don't practice here at the Garden, they're at a rink up in Westchester, so it's a bit difficult finding anything out from the team, but we'll find out more on this.

As for the Pens, Max Talbot was reportedly in a boot today after taking a shot off the foot last night. We're trying to get word from the team on his status, but I'm guessing that won't come until Michel Therrien's press conference after practice.

Gary Roberts is skating this morning, and if Max can't go you'd have to think he would be the replacement.

This is an optional skate. Here's who decided to make it out: Sidney Crosby, Roberts, Adam Hall, Tyler Kennedy, Georges Laraque, Kris Bech, Jeff Taffe, Pascal Dupuis, Jarko Ruutu, Hal Gill, Daryl Sydor, Ryan Whitney, Kris Letang, Ty Conklin and Dany Sabourin.

Anyone see Laraque kiss Dan Potash at the conclusion of his interview between periods??? Classic!

I saw that and cracked up! :toofunny::toofunny: Laraque is a trip without the acid - LOL!

rbryan
04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Even the injuries are working in the Pens favor now. What would Gary Roberts do on Thursday night ?? That was going to be a minor problem I think, sitting Roberts that is. Hall has been playing great against his former team, you have to keep him in there.

BettisFan
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Lets continue the winning streak

HometownGal
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Flyers leading Habs 3-2 with a little over 3 minutes left in the game. I believe the Pens would beat either team, but I want that home ice advantage, so (and God forgive me for saying this) I'm pulling for the *cough* *cough* *choke* Flyers.

On another note, what a BUNCH OF :bs::bs::mad::mad:

Michel Therrien isn't even one of the three finalists for the Adams Trophy!!!! :jawdrop: Putting aside my hometown bias, Therrien should have been the clear-cut winner considering the Pens successes this season and particularly during a very long span without Sid and Fleury!!!!

Boudreau???? Are they freakin' kidding? The ONLY reason the Caps won the Southeast Division title is because the Canes tanked in the last 10 games of the season.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=362156&page=NewsPage&service=page

Adams Award finalists announced
NHL.com Staff Apr 30, 2008, 8:46 PM EDT

Mike Babco ck of the Detroit Red Wings, Bruce Boudreau of the Washington Capitals and Guy Carbonneau of the Montreal Canadiens are the three finalists for the Jack Adams Award, presented to the coach who has "contributed the most to his team's success," the National Hockey League announced Wednesday.

Award winners will be announced in Toronto on Thursday, June 12, as the biggest names in hockey will mingle with stars from the world of entertainment to recognize the top performances from the 2007-08 NHL season at the 2008 NHL Awards Show, airing on CBC and VERSUS.

Members of the NHL Broadcasters' Association submitted ballots for the Jack Adams Award at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters named as finalists. The winner will be announced on June 12 during the NHL Awards Television Special, which will be broadcast live throughout Canada on CBC and the United States on VERSUS from the historic Elgin Theatre in Toronto.

The award was first presented by the NHL Broadcasters' Association in 1974 in honor of the late Jack Adams, longtime coach and general manager of the Detroit Red Wings.

Mike Babco ck, Detroit Red Wings
Babco co posted his third consecutive 50-win season behind the Detroit bench as the Red Wings, leading the NHL with a 54-21-7 and 115 points and capturing the Presidents’ Trophy as the NHL’s top regular-season team. The Red Wings set an NHL record for most first-half victories, posting a 30-8-3 mark through 41 games, and went on to surpass the 100-point mark for the eighth consecutive season — equaling Montreal's record streak from 1974-75 through 1981-82.

Detroit also won its seventh consecutive division title and qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the 17th consecutive season, the longest active streak among the four major pro team sports.

Bruce Boudreau, Washington Capitals
Boudreau brought more than 1,000 games of minor-league coaching experience to his first NHL assignment behind the bench and led the Capitals to one of the most dramatic turnarounds in League history. He replaced Glen Hanlon on Nov. 22 with the Capitals last in the Eastern Conference at 6-14-1, Boudreau led his club to a 37-17-7 mark the rest of the way -- capped by seven consecutive victories to close the season -- and captured the Southeast Division title in the season's final game.

Boudreau became the fastest coach to 20 victories (34 games) and 30 victories (53 games) in franchise history.

Guy Carbonneau, Montreal Canadiens
In his second NHL season behind the bench, Carbonneau guided the Canadiens to a 47-25-10 record for 104 points, their first 45-win and 100-point season in 15 years, first division title in 17 years and first Eastern Conference title in 19 years. Their 25-12-4 road record was the Canadiens’ best in 29 years.

Led by Alex Kovalev's 84-point season -- an increase of 37 over 2006-07 -- the Canadiens were the NHL's highest-scoring club in 2007-08 with 262 goals and boasted the League's top-ranked power-play (90 for 372, 24.2%). Montreal went 25-9following a loss and did not lose more than three consecutive games all season.

SteelCityMan786
04-30-2008, 09:57 PM
This is BS. Coach T is absolutely the most disrespected NHL Coach. After how they did without Crosby, his name should have already been etched into stone as the Adams winner.

X-Terminator
05-01-2008, 12:43 AM
That is the biggest bunch of :bs: I have ever seen. Mike Babc0ck? What the hell did he do that was so great this season? He's been the friggin' head coach of one of the best and most talented teams in the league the past 3 seasons! I can't argue Boudreau because of the job he did, and really can't argue too much against Guy Carbonneau considering that the Habs didn't make the playoffs last season. But Michel Therrien should have been one of the finalists, plain and simple. The guy lost his best player and captain, his #1 goalie, #2 defenseman, his top physical forward and several other injuries, and still managed to keep the Pens afloat and guide them to the division title with a bunch of jabronis and curtain-jerkers from WBS. They seriously need to take the voting out of the hands of the sports writers - they're the ones who voted on this. This is a joke and a travesty.

X-Terminator
05-01-2008, 01:08 AM
On the injury front - not good news for either team. The Pens may be without both Rob Scuderi and Max Talbot due to foot injuries from blocking shots Tuesday. In the case of Talbot, his foot may be broken, which means he'd be out for a couple of weeks. Darryl Sydor and Gary Roberts likely take their spots in the lineup. The Rangers will be without Sean Avery, who has a lacerated spleen and will miss the rest of the season, which hopefully will be one more game. I don't like to see anyone injured, but I'm sorry, that is karma coming back to kick Avery in the balls for all of the bullshit he's pulled. They may also be without Blair Betts (broken cheekbone) and Chris Drury (upper body injury, rumored to be bruised ribs), 2 of their top 4 centers and penalty killers. If they can't go, it will make it extremely difficult for the Rangers to win. The Pens can insert two proven playoff veterans in Roberts and Sydor into the lineup and likely not miss much of a beat. Who can the Rangers replace those guys with? Plus, like him or not - and I don't - Avery is a big part of the Rags' success, so that is a big, big loss for them. We'll see what happens tonight.

stlrtruck
05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Time for Crosby and Company to pull out the brooms and send the Czeckin and his pansies in blue teammates to the golf course!!!

LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS

Time for PUCKS OF FLEURY!!!!

BettisFan
05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Habs are going to get knocked out next game

HometownGal
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Very nice read from nhl.com on our Pens! :drink: :tt03:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=362062

Pens remain unbeaten in postseason
Dan Rosen | NHL.com Staff Writer Apr 30, 2008, 12:15 AM EDT

NEW YORK – Unbeatable isn’t a word thrown around too often in hockey circles. So many games equates to so many opportunities to fumble good chances and fall on the unfavorable side of the scoresheet.

Invincible is another one of those faux-pas words. No team is invincible the way no team is unbeatable.

Unless, of course, you’re talking about the Pittsburgh Penguins, who so far in the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs haven’t just been unbeatable, they have been invincible. The Penguins ran their playoff record to 7-0 with a 5-3 win at Madison Square Garden tonight in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series against the New York Rangers.

It would take a miracle — yes, those can happen in hockey, we know that — for the Rangers to win this series now that they’re behind three games to none. Only two teams have come back from 3-0 deficits to win a series, the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and the 1975 New York Islanders, against Pittsburgh.

However, these unbeatable — or invincible, if that’s the word you prefer — Penguins won’t let their fairy-tale ride through the first half of this year’s Stanley Cup Playoffs alter their original thinking that being crowned king of the NHL won’t be easy, or at least can’t be this easy.

“We’re looking for perfection,” Ryan Malone said. “All of us are still looking for that perfect 60 minutes.”

Although the Penguins are perfect in these playoffs, they have no trouble finding faults in their own game. It’s how they stay grounded.

On Tuesday night, that meant focusing on a sub-par second period when they let the Rangers outshoot them 14-4 and storm back to tie the game at 3-3 with a pair of goals.

Evgeni Malkin’s power-play goal with 2:07 remaining in the period gave Pittsburgh the lead and momentum back heading into the third, but it was almost an afterthought to these Penguins, who may even be searching for negatives now just to have something tangible to work on in practice.

“To be honest, I haven’t heard anyone on our team even make a mention or a point of what our record is,” defenseman Brooks Orpik said. “It might seem cliché, but we really are just going period by period here. We were probably lucky after the second period to still have a lead.”

Added Malone: “You take a period off like that … those bounces may not go our way sooner or later.”

“You can’t say that in hockey,” forward Pascal Dupuis said, referring to the word invincible. “It’s great to win. I can assure you that. It helps everything. Everybody is pretty confident out there, but we have to stay grounded. We’re playing a great team.”

Staying grounded should be easy because the Penguins have acted out the old “We haven’t won anything yet” routine following each of their seven wins. However, in this series in particular, they have proved capable of winning in different ways, which only builds confidence.

In Game 1, they came back from a 3-0 deficit to win 5-4 in a virtual track meet. In Game 2, they won 2-0 in a defensive battle that was a 1-0 game until an empty-net goal with 17 seconds left. In Game 3, they won by holding off a hungry and desperate team that would end up outshooting them 39-17.

The Penguins jumped out to a 3-1 lead after the first period, but that disappeared by 13:11 of the second period when Jaromir Jagr scored his third of the playoffs just 1:04 after Ryan Callahan got his second.

This was after the Penguins had to kill off three straight power plays, including a pair of 5-on-3s that combined for 75 seconds.

“We probably should have had the momentum there after we killed all those penalties, those two 5-on-3s,” Orpik said. “We didn’t. They kind of wore us out and they definitely had us back on our heels.”

However, back on the power play over two minutes later thanks to a needless boarding penalty by Ryan Hollweg, the Penguins somehow forgot momentum wasn’t on their side and went ahead and scored the go-ahead goal anyway.

“I don’t think anyone feels worse in this building than Ryan Hollweg,” Rangers coach Tom Renney said of the Rangers’ agitator, who played only 3:46 but destroyed the Rangers’ momentum when he drove Sykora into the boards from behind. “It was a very tough penalty to take, we know that. We came close to killing it, but (we were) unsuccessful at the end of the day.”

That’s because the Penguins kept the puck in the zone, exhausting the Rangers penalty-killers. Sidney Crosby eventually fed Malkin with a circle-to-circle pass and the Russian MVP candidate ripped a shot past Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist with three seconds left in the power play for his second goal of the game and fifth of the postseason.

“Geno got a big goal and we were able to hold it,” Crosby said, “but certainly that second period is not what we want to see. That’s not our style.”

The second period stuck in the Penguins’ minds so much that instead of getting giddy at the potential of closing out the Rangers at MSG on Thursday, they were focusing on what they need to do better in order to have a chance at winning that game.

Yes, that means they were focusing on what they need to do in order to have a chance at beating the team they have already beaten three times in three distinct ways.

If that’s not staying grounded, what is?

“We’re not thinking about winning the first seven games,” Penguins coach Michel Therrien added. “What we did before is in the past. We learned, and tonight we have to learn from that second period and to make sure we’ll be better in the next game.”

Even if they’re not, who’s to say there will be a Game 5 anyway?

Lord Stiller
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I hope we rest Scuderi and Talbot and go with Sydor and Roberts. It's nice to have decent veteran backups.

I hope we can clinch tonight and give the injured guys a little extra rest before the Conference Finals.

Counselor
05-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Great NY Times Article on Crosby and Malkin and the Pens

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/sports/hockey/01vecsey.html?ref=hockey

Pittsburgh’s Dynastic Duo
Published: May 1, 2008
Is this the next great dynasty? That is the only logical reaction after seeing the brilliance of Sidney Crosby, 20, and Evgeni Malkin, 21, in the same uniform or, good grief, on the same power-play unit.

This rave is not merely about hockey. This is about talent, the kind of chemical reaction that happens when two potent forces are mixed together. Martin and Lewis. Torvill and Dean. Nuclear fusion. Something that wasn’t there before.

Crosby and Malkin have led the Pittsburgh Penguins to seven straight victories so far in the Stanley Cup playoffs, and there is no reason to think the Rangers will stop them Thursday night at Madison Square Garden.

Right now, the Penguins are a pleasure to watch, the way they control a power play, flitting the puck back and forth with their teammates, wearing down the Rangers, a child’s game of keep away being performed in public, in the Rangers’ building, as they say in hockey.

The Penguins broke the Rangers near the end of the second period for what turned out to be the winning goal in a 5-3 victory Tuesday night. They are young and getting better in this springtime, the season of the Stanley Cup.

Crosby is the verbal Canadian and Malkin is the more silent Russian, still learning the languages of the N.H.L., but they are equals when they join forces on a power play.

They bring back memories of the great young dynasty in Edmonton in the early ’80s, when Wayne Gretzky would tantalize with his otherworldly touch and Mark Messier would intimidate with his power and intensity. And then Glen Sather would throw them together on a power play, ice and fire, the dawning of a new age.

Crosby and Malkin are not that opposite in style and temperament. They are both centers on their own lines, No. 87 and No. 71 in the strange high numerology of the modern N.H.L., and they force opposing coaches to choose their poison.

When they play together with a man advantage, they are downright pretty to watch, with their hipper-dipper moves, the control of the puck with their sticks, the alert passes, the crisp reversals of direction, often slightly quicker than their opponents, with little bursts of skill and intelligence, superiority coming out, breaking down the home team in front of despairing fans.

“As a team, what is impressive about them is that they are bending but not breaking,” Rangers Coach Tom Renney said. “That’s maybe something they have got going for themselves right now.”

More than any other team sport, hockey comes close to being an art form because of the patterns and the repetitions, the bright uniforms, the flurries of action punctuated by bursts of improvisation.

“I’m a fan when I see them go out there,” said Marc-André Fleury, the Penguins’ goaltender, who had to guard against being a spectator lest the Rangers suddenly rush down the ice.

The power play happened Tuesday night late in the second period after the Rangers had fought back for a 3-3 tie and all things seemed possible. Ryan Hollweg, a rambunctious marginal Ranger, took a foolish boarding penalty with 4 minutes 4 seconds remaining.

Playing without two key members of their penalty-killing unit, the makeshift Rangers defended valiantly, desperately, while Crosby and Malkin wore them down with the help of their mates Marian Hossa, Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Malone.

This is today’s N.H.L. — a Canadian, a Russian, a Czech, another Russian and a guy from Pittsburgh who under the jersey and the padding has swirls of tattoos — clouds and dragons and mysterious calligraphy. “My bad habit,” Malone calls the tattoos.

Malone knows his role. Get up in front of the crease and let the skaters skate and the passers pass — “get a lucky bounce,” Malone said, although there seem to be few lucky bounces when Crosby and Malkin strut their stuff.

They wound up using almost the entire two-minute penalty, until Crosby chased down a loose puck and flicked it to Gonchar, who passed it to Crosby, who found Malkin relatively free.

“I knew there was not much time and I had to shoot,” said Malkin, who scored with three seconds left in the penalty.

The power-play unit is a powerful team within a team, much like the Edmonton unit that almost seemed unfair a quarter of a century ago. The Oilers won four Cups with Messier and Gretzky together, which was two more than the Penguins won in 1991 and 1992, when Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr were together in both senses of the word.

Jagr still has the most political jersey in hockey — No. 68, the year of the hopeful spring rebellion against the Soviets in the former Czechoslovakia. He has staged his own uprisings in his time, skulking out of Pittsburgh after tuning out his owner-teammate, Lemieux. Jagr stood up to his old team Tuesday, but the young guns outnumbered him.

This is not a spring of rebellion but a spring of blossoming, two young stars who light up the arena when they play together.

HometownGal
05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Max Talbot is out tonight (and indefinitely I would assume) with a broken foot - Gary Roberts will be in the lineup tonight, which doesn't bode well for Fatsomir and the Rags. :thumbsup: Scuds will also be in the lineup.

LETS GO PENS! :drink:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08122/878232-100.stm

Talbot out, Roberts in for Game 4

Thursday, May 01, 2008

NEW YORK -- Gary Roberts will replace Max Talbot in the Penguins' lineup for Game 4 of their second-round playoff series against the New York Rangers Thursday at 7:08 p.m. at Madison Square Garden.

Talbot's right foot was broken when he blocked a shot during Game 3 Tuesday. Roberts missed the past five games because of a sore groin.

Defenseman Rob Scuderi, whose left foot was bruised when he blocked a shot Tuesday, plans to play Thursday night.

lilyoder6
05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
gettin hit by the puck would def hurt not wearing the right equipment... but oh well lets finish the series 2 nite

fansince'76
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Damn....oh well, the Pens will just have to close out the series at home on Sunday.

SteelCityMan786
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Lets forget this game and get ready for game 5. :jammin:

lilyoder6
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
i thought that was a horrible game 2nite.. jagr did get nailed on the shot he scored tho.. oh well come home and finish them

X-Terminator
05-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, the Rags avoid elimination and force Game 5 on Sunday. We had chances all night, but Lundqvist just stoned us. Things got a little testy at the end with Mara going after Malkin and Gonchar actually dropped the gloves - I'm sure that will carry over. So now we'll get to hear about 1975 for the next 2 days. Oh joy. Let's hope that the Pens put them away on Sunday in front of the home crowd.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Drury is from my hometown. I think we will crush them Sunday.

HometownGal
05-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I believed from the get-go that the Pens would split in MSG. The Pens took too many penalties tonight at the worst possible times and as XT said above, Henrik was outstanding in goal. We had our chances but just couldn't get the puck past him. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Pens will win this series - they were due for a letdown of sorts after the streak they've been on. I'm sure Therrien and Yeo will have them ready and on fire for Game #5 in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

I believe! :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I believed from the get-go that the Pens would split in MSG. The Pens took too many penalties tonight at the worst possible times and as XT said above, Henrik was outstanding in goal. We had our chances but just couldn't get the puck past him. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Pens will win this series - they were due for a letdown of sorts after the streak they've been on. I'm sure Therrien and Yeo will have them ready and on fire for Game #5 in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

I believe! :tt03:

Who's with me and HTG. :drink::thumbsup:

Edman
05-01-2008, 11:44 PM
The Rangers are delaying it.

Now it's back to Pittsburgh where they'll get their doors blown open.

X-Terminator
05-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Who's with me and HTG. :drink::thumbsup:

No concern here - all they did was delay the inevitable. The Pens WILL take care of business on Sunday. :drink::thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
05-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Well, I go to give the "pork chop" credit in this game. He played possessed tonight. Pens just have to regroup and play their game. I hope we d close it out on Sunday because I am going to get nervous if we have to head back to MSG.

The Duke
05-02-2008, 12:24 AM
rangers played an excellent game. congrats to them. as for the pens, lets just hope they get ready for next game. home, bitter loss, revenge.....rangers are going down :tt:

btw, I'm in miami and finally bought my Crosby jersey :tt02: I'm hoping to find a Fleury one too. they do make jerseys for goalies right? lol

go pens!

Dodt
05-02-2008, 02:03 AM
a loss is only shameful when nothing is learned.

stlrtruck
05-02-2008, 08:16 AM
What I saw last night was a Rangers team in dire straights who outplayed the Pens pretty much the entire game. Congrats to them and unfortunately Fagr can't get the clean sweep of flip offs.

I also saw a Pens team that lacked discipline throughout the game and one can only hope that these two days off will have them re-energized to put Fagr on-ice for the rest of this season.

However, I believe that the Pens will come back to the Igloo and dump a serious boat load of "Get the Puck Outta Here!" on the rangers.

Counselor
05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Not really surprised by last night. If you told me before the series that we'd win both at home and split at MSG, I'd have been extatic.

That said---though I really wish they would have won---perhaps the loss can help them get refocused. It also certainly gets rid of all this "undefeated in the playoffs" crap that was becoming a bit overwhelming and perhaps distracting.

BettisFan
05-02-2008, 10:48 AM
hard hard loss last night, it sucks to lose our streak but its all good we still wil have the series.

Lord Stiller
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
F it, we lost

LETS END THIS SERIES ON SUNDAY

HometownGal
05-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Real nice read on Hal Gill. :thumbsup: He has really stepped up his play since his first couple of games with the Pens and has become a solid force on our D! As a Pens fan, you just gotta love Big Hal! :drink:

(NOTE: This article was crafted on May 1st before Game #4 of the Pens/Rags series).

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=362115

Move to Pittsburgh a boon for Gill, Pens
Dan Rosen | NHL.com Staff Writer May 1, 2008, 9:00 AM EDT

Hal Gill's trade from the Maple Leafs to the Penguins gave him a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup this season.

Hal Gill was napping when news broke of his trade from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Pittsburgh Penguins on TSN. But his wife, Anne, was tuned in the way every wife of a Leafs player without the all-empowering no-trade clause likely was.

“My wife had to hear about it on TV, and I heard about it after a nap,” Gill told NHL.com. “She didn’t know what to think. She was kind of shocked. She’s not involved in it, but she’s directly involved in it because she’s the one that takes the brunt of it.”

Gill said he was “kind of shocked,” too. Having never been traded in his NHL career, being moved at the deadline for a pair of draft picks was all new to him. He didn’t know how to react even if he saw it coming.

“It was a surprise,” Gill said. “I guess it always is, right?”

We wouldn’t know, but either way this surprise has turned into an opportunity for the towering defenseman. Gill was dealt from a team loaded with questions and likely to miss the postseason to a team loaded with young talent and likely to make a bid for the Stanley Cup.

Yeah, that’s not so bad, at least for Hal. We can’t write on behalf on Anne.

“I feel comfortable here and I think I can help this team,” Gill said. “That’s what it’s all about, trying to contribute to a team that was already a really good team before I got here.”

The Penguins, though, are a much better team now that Gill has asserted himself and become a key cog on the back end. Through seven playoff games Gill is a plus-3 while averaging close to 18 minutes per game. The Penguins are 7-0.

“I don’t think many people realize how good he is defensively until you’re on his team. I know I didn’t,” Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. “He takes up so much room and it seems like you never see him get beat. Whether it’s a one-on-one or a two-on-two he’s got such a long reach that he can pinch guys off at the blue line.

“Just watching him against skilled players like (Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin) he’s still able to do a good job defensively. You realize how valuable he is after seeing that.”

Since Gill has become a fixture in the lineup, the Penguins penalty-kill has improved dramatically.

At the time of the trade the Penguins were a troubling 25th in the NHL in penalty-killing (80.4 percent). The Penguins’ PK got better over the last 18 regular-season games with Gill and finished tied for 22nd at 81 percent.

It has been a star in the playoffs. The Penguins entered Wednesday night ranked first in the NHL with a 92.6 percent success rate on penalty-killing in the postseason having allowed just two power-play goals in their 27 times shorthanded. They’ve limited the Rangers to one power play goal in 14 chances through three games.

“Gill does make a difference,” Penguins GM Ray Shero told NHL.com. “I want to say when we got him he was the top defensive guy in penalty-killing ice time. Like a power-play guy can be, he’s a specialist at that and certainly does a good job. He’s a lot of what we were looking for.”

The reasons are plenty, but No. 1 is Gill’s size. He’s 6-foot-7, weighs 250 pounds.

“He takes care of players in front of the net,” goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said.

“Look at him, he’s just a big, massive dude so no one is going to move him,” added Pens defenseman Rob Scuderi, who has been Gill’s partner in the second round against the Rangers. “If they can’t get to the net they can’t get to the rebounds, which is really what playoff hockey is all about, crashing the net and getting dirty goals. With him there and being a presence in front it really limits their second opportunities, and that’s huge for our goalie. He can just worry about making one save.”

After Shero traded the two draft picks – a second-rounder this June and a fifth-rounder in 2009 – he figured the deal would wind up flying under the radar only because it was a little later when he beat the buzzer with a trade for Marian Hossa.

The trade for Gill, though, has proven to be just as important, if not more. The Penguins were six defensemen deep at the time of the trade, but bringing in Gill gave them not only depth, but another strong, tall, stay-at-home guy they were lacking since Mark Eaton went out with a season-ending injury in January.

With Gill in the fray, veteran and two-time Cup winning defenseman Darryl Sydor has been a healthy scratch for every game in the playoffs.

“I think he has fit in really well with us and he has gained the coach’s trust,” Shero said. “He plays mean, and off the ice he’s a good guy.”

Shero said it helped that Tom Fitzgerald, one of Gill’s former teammates in Boston who is now the Penguins’ director of player development, sold management on Gill’s attributes.

“Fitzie knew what we were looking for and went to bat for him in terms of his personality,” Shero said. “I guess I want to give (Gill) credit. He hasn’t exceeded our expectations. We thought he was a good player and he would fit in well here.”

HometownGal
05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Not and IF, but a WHEN we win the series against the Rangers, our opponent will be the Flyers. They beat the Habs tonight 6-4. Home ice advantage is always a plus! :drink:

X-Terminator
05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
The Flyers are a very dangerous team - they have a very balanced offensive team, maybe even more so than the Penguins. Anyone on their top 3 lines can score; in fact, they had seven 20-goal scorers this season, the most in the NHL. But to me, it's Martin Biron's play that has gotten them this far. He's been great. It didn't hurt that R.J. Umberger scored 8 goals(!) in that series, either.

History would not be on our side - the Pens have never beaten the Flyers in a playoff series. That said, I still think the Pens beat them in 6 games. I'm not sold on Biron, and I just think the Pens have a bit more in terms of star power. Plus, Malkin torched them during the regular season and undoubtedly would be up to the task again. But first things first - let's take care of the Rangers tomorrow.

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 01:25 PM
A little under 35 minutes until game time! :tt03::drink:

LETS GO PENS and send Fagomir and his Rags off to play golf today! :thumbsup:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/jlc8487/LGP.jpg

Lord Stiller
05-04-2008, 03:09 PM
ugh, that was a bad period. Pens taking too many dumb penalties and turning the puck over too much

we cant give the Rangers any life, END IT NOW!

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 03:11 PM
ugh, that was a bad period. Pens taking too many dumb penalties and turning the puck over too much

we cant give the Rangers any life, END IT NOW!

All in all, I didn't think it was that bad of a period, but you are right - the Pens have to be a bit more disciplined. If anyone goes near Fagomir, they're going to get smacked with a visit to the sin bin. Lundvquist is once again a brick wall in that net and the Pens are going to have to shoot over him - nothing is getting through those legs today.

Petesburgh66
05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I agree. The Penguins need to bury the Rangers 6' under today. They can't afford to drag out the series any more due to the Flyers advancing.

I hate this 2 PM start time for a hockey game.

Petesburgh66
05-04-2008, 03:36 PM
As for Hall Gill, I will eat my words I posted earlier in the year when the Penguins got him. He was horrible in Toronto I would have accepted a bag of pucks to get him out of here. It's really good to see he has been a nice fit in Pittsburgh.

Petesburgh66
05-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Come on Penguins, put the foot to the Rangers throat and end this. Don't sit back on this 2-0 lead. Keep attacking.

Edman
05-04-2008, 03:51 PM
One period to go until the Penguins meet the Flyers in the Conference finals.

Get 'er done Penguins!

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Wow - Hoss is playing one helluva game! :thumbsup: Our D has been awesome and the backchecking by the Pens has been ominous for the Rags!

C'mon Pens - lets finish them off in the 3rd and send them home once and for all. :tt03:

Petes - I did not exercise patience with Gill the first couple of games, but he needed to find his groove here in the Burgh which he has done ten times over! He's a keeper! :thumbsup:

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 04:46 PM
WOW!!! Tied 2-2 and going into OT. The Rags came out on fire in the 3rd and the Pens obviously weren't ready for it. We can win this and put the Rags out of their misery sooner rather than later!!!

LETS GO PENS!!!

Lord Stiller
05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Lets end this quick

We have like a 3 min power play at the start of OT

LETS GET A DAMN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Edman
05-04-2008, 05:03 PM
IT'S OVERRRR!

Penguins Win 3-2! Marian Hossa with the DAGGER!

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Buh-bye Rangers! :wave::wave::wave:

Marian Hossa is today's hero! :thumbsup:

Great way to come out in OT and stick it up the Rangers' hineys! :banana::banana:

I am one proud Pens fan! :tt03::tt03:

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2008, 05:26 PM
HEY FAGOMIR I PRESENT YOU WITH MY FOURTH AND FINAL.......................:fingers: OF THE SERIES!

AND FOR GOOD MEASURE :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

dwnqqj5Q1BU

Q8Tiz6INF7I

X-Terminator
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
OK, I know I was extremely confident coming in and was even more so after the Pens got that 2-0 lead, but after the Rangers tied it, I got a teensy-weensy bit nervous. But in the end, Hossa came up big, and sent the Rangers back to Broadway for good. :thumbsup:

Bring on the Flyers!!! :tt03:

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
LMAO @ you Matt! :toofunny::toofunny:

I won't join in flipping Fatsomir the bird, as he really played his heart out in these last 3 games and was very gentlemanly in the team hand-shake after the game. It also may be his last game in the NHL as he may be playing in Russia or the Czech Republic next season and though I can't stomach him as a person, he did put up some great career numbers (with the help of Mario and Ronnie Francis, of course) and I respect that (even if just a little). :wink02:

The series with the Flyers is going to be really tough. They are playing very well right now and R.J. Umberger is on a roll, as is Briere. I think we will have a tad easier time scoringa against Biron than we did with Lundvquist. If not for Lundvquist, the Pens would have won this game at least by 5-6 goals.

The series with the Flyers will be a lot more physical and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of hard hits and Laraque and Ruutu doing what they do best! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2008, 05:41 PM

I won't join in flipping Fatsomir the bird, as he really played his heart out in these last 3 games and was very gentlemanly in the team hand-shake after the game. It also may be his last game in the NHL as he may be playing in Russia or the Czech Republic next season and though I can't stomach him as a person, he did put up some great career numbers (with the help of Mario and Ronnie Francis, of course) and I respect that (even if just a little). :wink02:

The series with the Flyers is going to be really tough. They are playing very well right now and R.J. Umberger is on a roll, as is Briere. I think we will have a tad easier time scoringa against Biron than we did with Lundvquist. If not for Lundvquist, the Pens would have won this game at least by 5-6 goals.

The series with the Flyers will be a lot more physical and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of hard hits and Laraque and Ruutu doing what they do best! :thumbsup:

I only flip the bird because of how he wanted to get out of town. However, I do respect his work here. Just not how he wanted out.

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=513653

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/sour%20grapes2.jpg

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I only flip the bird because of how he wanted to get out of town. However, I do respect his work here. Just not how he wanted out.

Oh I totally agree - the way he left and his diss on Mario and the Pens fans, I will never forgive him for. He really was the only Ranger besides Lundvquist who showed up to play the entire series, though, and as much as I hate saying that, I gotta give props where due.

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I forgot to mention . . . .

RAY SHERO IS A GENIUS! :thumbsup::tt03::drink:

OneForTheToe
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Gota agree there ... if you are a fan you have to respect great players. Unless, of course, they cheat or do something so egregious off the field that it overshadows their accomplishments. However, that is not the case with "Pork Chop." He was tough in this series.

As for the Pens, I definitely was getting a bit nervous when we didn't score on that last power play. How many times have you seen the momentum change in a game after a team kills off a major penalty? I wouldn't have lost faith had we lost this game because, at the worst, we have home ice for game seven. Still, I'm happy we don't have to find out.

And philli. :dualies:

Borski
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Go Pens, great series!!

Beat Philly!!!

rbryan
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Awsome game. I must admit I was getting a little worried. Pens could have easily scored 6 goals today, seems the last two games the puck just wasn't rolling our way. You have to be proud of the effort all game. Give the Rangers some credit they are a good Hockey club and could have also just as easily had us on our heals right now.

I was mad at Jagr when he left too, but I'm not sure why you guys are calling him porkchop. We should all be in that good of shape at his age. Like it or not he's still a stud and one of the premier players in the NHL. He might still be playing in 5 years. I'd leave the door open for a reunion with the Pens, even though the odds are slim and none.

I've always kind of looked at Jagr the same as Rod Woodson. I think they both they wish they'd never left Pittsburgh, same as me.

BettisFan
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
WHAT AN AMAZING GAME!! That was phenomenal!! GO PENS!!

Petesburgh66
05-04-2008, 07:24 PM

Don't forget the man, Gary Roberts. Destroy Gary, destroy. :tt03:

fansince'76
05-04-2008, 07:24 PM

Off
Sides
Doesn't
Apply
To
Pitts

Cindy must've given the refs a $5 bill before the game.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13992395#post13992395

Henrik 2 - Refs 3

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13992410#post13992410

The officials screwed us. 4 minute penalty gave all the momentum to the Pens. Talk about the refs deciding the outcome of a game.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13992341#post13992341

Nice to see the Mike Holmgren-patented "pantywaisted-crybaby-bitching-about-the-refs-when-one's-team-isn't-good-enough-to-get-the-job-done" syndrome isn't limited to the NFL. I'd now like to present the Rags' fans with a consolation prize:

http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/kleenex.jpg

:crying01: :crying01: :crying01:

When did so many so-called sports fans turn into such whiny pussies? A few tampons on that board need adjusting. :yawn: :coffee:

X-Terminator
05-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Nice to see the Mike Holmgren-patented "pantywaisted-crybaby-bitching-about-the-refs-when-one's-team-isn't-good-enough-to-get-the-job-done" syndrome isn't limited to the NFL. I'd now like to present the Rags' fans with a consolation prize:

When did so many so-called sports fans turn into such whiny pussies? A few tampons on that board need adjusting. :yawn: :coffee:

I will bet you that the average age of those "fans" is between 14-25, which should give you your answer right there. They're the new "'Me' Generation," only much whinier. You pretty much nailed it though - fans today can't accept when their team loses, so they look for every excuse in the book to justify it. It's nothing more than jealousy and sour grapes. The Pens won fair and square, and nothing they say can change that indisputable fact.

EDIT: I just watched the game-winning goal again in slow-mo, and I'm sorry, but that play was NOT offside. The blue line is the beginning of the offensive zone, and so long as they have one skate either on or behind the line when the puck hits it, it's an onside play. The replay clearly shows that Crosby was behind the line and Dupuis had one skate on the line when the puck touched the blue line. The rule works in reverse when the defense is attempting to clear the zone - the puck must completely cross the blue line for it to be considered out of the zone, and if the offense brings it back in without getting out of the zone, it's an offside play. Just another example of how so many "fans" today do not understand the game.

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
i think the series was a good one. although the score dont show it, with the rangers only winning one game, but if you actually watched each game, it was some of the best hockey i have seen. but unfortunely i think the red wings will be stanley cup champs this year.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I will bet you that the average age of those "fans" is between 14-25, which should give you your answer right there. They're the new "'Me' Generation," only much whinier. You pretty much nailed it though - fans today can't accept when their team loses, so they look for every excuse in the book to justify it. It's nothing more than jealousy and sour grapes. The Pens won fair and square, and nothing they say can change that indisputable fact.

Exactly. As much as people want to blame it on refs, etc.(I admit I sometimes will do this). IT'S THE TEAM'S FAULT IF THEY LOSE.

fansince'76
05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I will bet you that the average age of those "fans" is between 14-25, which should give you your answer right there. They're the new "'Me' Generation," only much whinier. You pretty much nailed it though - fans today can't accept when their team loses, so they look for every excuse in the book to justify it. It's nothing more than jealousy and sour grapes.

Yep, I have to agree that it's most likely a byproduct of being indoctrinated in the ultra-PC "everybody is special and nobody ever loses" bullshit mindset. Too bad the real world doesn't operate that way.

Petesburgh66
05-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Once the fleet of whaaaaaaambulances sent over to NYC to deal with this whining epidemic is over, please them over to the city of losers (Philly) as their fans are no better.

I am sick and tired sports fans that can't accept that their team lost to a better team and make up weak excuses like it was the refs fault.

HometownGal
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM

This one just cracks me up. Coming from a fan of a team from a city where murder, rape, robbery and incest is the norm. :laughing::rofl::sofunny:

Today, 02:36 PM #102
Gui101do

My Photos: (0)
vCash: 500 Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
He's already doing that. He's in Pittsburgh.

Right, I mean, who WOULDN'T want to live in the 'Most Livable City' in the U.S.?
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07116/781162-53.stm

but unfortunely i think the red wings will be stanley cup champs this year.

I think you may be sadly disappointed here, TMB. The Wings are very playoff experienced, but from the words of Fatsomir post-game:

"We were facing a very good hockey club, they've got young legs playing without fear," Jagr said. "They didn't get tired - I thought they were going to get tired and they didn't get tired. They keep coming, keep coming."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Recap&gameNumber=225&season=20072008&gameType=3

The Pens played two experienced playoff teams - swept the first one (Sens) and eliminated the second (Rags) in 5 games. I think these young Pens can match the talent level of the Wings, including the levels that both Fleury and Osgood are playing at right now. They are well on their way to proving that experience (which the Red Wings have) isn't always a guarantee.

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 08:26 PM
HTG

believe me i dont want the wings to win, you know with me living in detroit, i would have to hear it.. (yuck!)

i do think if it does come down to the wings and pens it would be a great series. i might have to invest in a Sid jersey just to wear around town :wink:

Edman
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
If anything, The Rangers were damned lucky to even be in this game. They were outshot and outhustled most of the game. F the crybabies. We won. You lost. Get over it. Bunch of sore losers.

They cry about Crosby's nonexistent "crying". Kinda contradictory, don't you think?

Just sit back and laugh at the crybaby Ranger fans. It makes them even more pathetic.

X-Terminator
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
If anything, The Rangers were damned lucky to even be in this game. They were outshot and outhustled most of the game. F the crybabies. We won. You lost. Get over it. Bunch of sore losers.

They cry about Crosby's nonexistent "crying". Kinda contradictory, don't you think?

Just sit back and laugh at the crybaby Ranger fans. It makes them even more pathetic.

I was just thinking about the exact same thing. They went on and on about Crosby being a whiner, and yet all they've done through most of this series is whine. There's a word for that...what is it again...oh yeah!

HYPOCRISY.

TackleMeBen
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
i liked listening to the rags fans whine about all the dive Crosby does.

SteelCityMan786
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Once the fleet of whaaaaaaambulances sent over to NYC to deal with this whining epidemic is over, please them over to the city of losers (Philly) as their fans are no better.

I am sick and tired sports fans that can't accept that their team lost to a better team and make up weak excuses like it was the refs fault.

New York Fans were picked up at 800 Animosity Avenue and some are about ready to be picked up on Monstrosity Boulevard then 222 I hate you avenue on the

http://www.bitter-bus.at/image/bus_01_gross.jpg

BITTER BUS

X-Terminator
05-05-2008, 05:12 AM
The conference finals schedule has been released - the Pens/Flyers series starts Friday night. At least the Pens won't have more than a week off this time.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=362488

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Hoss named #2 Star of the playoff week! Congrats! :drink:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=ThreeStarsPage&service=page

stlrtruck
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey this was a great series and it's always nice to see the rangers go home. However, we can't play the series against the flyers the same we played this one. The flyers have a more aggressive style of play....I've got faith in the boys in the black and gold but they've got to turn it up a notch.

Edman
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
The Flyers are a roll too just as the Pens are. This will be another nailbiting series. But hey, nobody said getting the Stanley Cup was going to be easy.

The Penguins just need to play, that's all. Stick it to the guys from across the state.

rbryan
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
It's going to be an awsome series. I can't wait. It's nice to have something to pass the time till football starts for a change. It's already looking like the Pirates will be all but mathematically eliminated by the end of May.....again.

Lord Stiller
05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
F*** the Cryers!

stlrtruck
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
F*** the Cryers!

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!!! :drink:

memphissteelergirl
05-05-2008, 01:22 PM

I love how one idiot on that board said that the Pens are supposedly to just have the Cup handed to them. My answer:

THAT'S WHY THE GAMES ARE PLAYED, JACKASS! Nobody is handed anything! If the Pens win it all it will be because they busted their collective butts to do so!!
(Whiny azz beyotch!)

Awesome series by the Pens! On to take care of business against Philly LET'S GO PENS!! :applaudit:

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Can I have a resounding AMEN? :drink::tt03:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08126/879243-61.stm

Hard work? It's in the Penguins' stars

Monday, May 05, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When it finally ended late yesterday afternoon, after 67 minutes, 10 seconds of tough, physical, tense playoff hockey, Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik showed remarkable stamina by making it from his locker to the team refrigerator and a precious energy drink.

Hey, it was all the way across the room.

"It's not supposed to be easy," someone said to Orpik after the Penguins needed overtime to close down the New York Rangers for the summer, winning Game 5 of their playoff hostilities, 3-2.

"It isn't?" asked grinning team owner Mario Lemieux as he passed by on his way to shake a few more hands.

"Maybe for you it was easy. Not for the rest of us," Orpik told the great Lemieux.

Amen.

This throbbing win, which set off a raucous Mellon Arena celebration and nudged the Penguins into the Eastern Conference final later this week against the hated Philadelphia Flyers, will go down in team lore as the overtime thriller that ended in a New York instant when sniper Marian Hossa's dead-on shot found the back of the Rangers' net behind fabulous goaltender Henrik Lundqvist. But there was so much more to it than that goal and an earlier one by Hossa and even another out-of-this-world goal by Evgeni Malkin, your Conn Smythe Trophy favorite at the halfway point of these Stanley Cup playoffs.

Mostly, there was hard work.

From the Penguins' role players, sure.

But -- and this is really important, so write it down -- from the team's stars.

"It's not so much about skill in the playoffs," wise winger Pascal Dupuis said. "It's about effort. When your franchise players are working as hard or even harder than the role players, you're going to win."

So it was for this bunch of flightless birds.

Much of the extraordinary effort came from the Penguins' penalty-killers, every bit the heroes against the Rangers that Malkin, Hossa, Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury were. Take a bow, Ryan Malone, Jordan Staal, Adam Hall and Mr. Dupuis. Step right on up onto the stage with them, Hal Gill, Rob Scuderi, Sergei Gonchar and Mr. Orpik. Those fellas never gave the Rangers a chance. The New York power play went 0 for 4 with one shot in this game, a dull 3 for 25 in the series.

Hard work?

We're talking off the charts.

"Guys are paying the price because they want to win so bad," Dupuis said. "They're blocking shots. They're getting in the shooting lanes. And when the puck does get through to the net, we've got a wall in front of it. Marc-Andre is playing unbelievably right now."

Penguins general manager Ray Shero's deal for Hossa at the February trade deadline was celebrated long into the night all over the city, but how about picking up Dupuis in the package? And what about the trade for Gill? "His stick is everywhere," Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said of Gill. "He just breaks up play after play."

Killing penalties -- actually, playing defense in general -- is largely about want to. These Penguins clearly want to. It was no accident that the Rangers had four shots in the first minute yesterday, then just three the rest of the first period. Or that they had a total of four -- count 'em, four -- in the second period, none in the final 14 minutes, 50 seconds. Or that they didn't have a single shot in overtime.

"It's pretty good to know we can clamp down like that," Whitney said. "People don't think of us as a defensive team. We're proving we are one."

Don't underestimate the stars' impact in that.

Hossa is the best two-way player on the team right now, just as reliable in the defensive zone as he is when he has the puck trying to torture goalies. "He's a special player," Penguins coach Michel Therrien said with obvious appreciation. "He doesn't cheat out there."

Throw in Crosby, the team's hardest worker on the ice, in practice, in the weight room, on the stationary bike ...

You get the idea.

And add Malkin, whose energy seems boundless. Was he all over the ice yesterday or what?

Stars aren't stars merely because they have terrific talent.

These stars are stars because they work for what they get.

Two examples from yesterday:

Hossa scored the Penguins' first goal, but that was the easy part after a wonderful pass from Malone. The hard part was keeping the puck in the Rangers' zone, which Hossa did with an all-out dive a few moments earlier. "You don't see superstars diving for the puck like that very often," Whitney marveled.

Malkin scored the second goal because he refused to quit on the puck. After he tried to split Rangers defensemen Paul Mara and Marc Staal in front of Lundqvist, the puck was nudged slowly back up ice. Malkin stopped on a dime, changed direction and pounced on the puck before firing a backhander by the stunned Lundqvist.

It's no wonder Lemieux was grinning so much on his handshake tour.

The boys are giving him his money's worth this spring.

"We deserved to win that game," Therrien said. "We deserved to win this series."

It's worth saying again.

Amen.

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Great read on Ruuuuutuuuuuu!!! As XT can attest to, I was probably the first Pens fan to sport a #37 Ruutu jersey in Mellon Arena. I bought it the day after I learned this pesky, little critter was coming to the Burgh! :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200805/x20080504ruutupage_160.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08125/879017-61.stm

Jarkko Ruutu: A pest worth loving
Sunday, May 04, 2008

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If he's on your team, you can't help but love Jarkko Ruutu and his infectious energy (not to mention his rhythmic last name). But if he's on the other side, he's a dirty, no-good, villainous pest. There is no middle ground.Mark Beall and Kurtis Slagle, who have been friends since they attended grade school together in the Harrisburg area, did some pre-game shopping for a specific item at Pens Station before attending a recent playoff game at Mellon Arena.

Jerseys bearing the names and numbers of such stars as Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury are available in sports stores everywhere, but they were interested in something from someone who opponents love to hate -- Jarkko Ruutu, cult figure.

"You have to come to Pittsburgh to get a Ruutu," said Beall, 25, holding a freshly bought T-shirt adorned with Ruutu's name and No. 37. "Why him? He's got all kinds of energy and personality."

Slagle, who became a Penguins fan while attending the University of Pittsburgh, wanted to purchase the player's authentic NHL jersey, but it was sold out.

"He's a big hitter. It's part of playing the sport. He fits in with Pittsburgh," said Slagle, a Marine who is shipping out for a combat tour in Afghanistan.

Inside Mellon Arena that night, Ruutu put on a show of his handiwork after three unanswered goals by the Rangers silenced the audience. In one remarkable shift, Ruutu gestured with his stick blade to get the attention of defenseman Michal Rozsival in the faceoff circle, and shortly thereafter, he re-energized his team with a goal that caromed in off Rozsival's skate.

In what has become a signature ritual, the crowd chimed in with public-address announcer John Barbaro when he called the name that resonates around the old dome like some phantom of the opera.

"Not all hockey names flow that easily. His name lends itself to embellishment. Lately, I feel like I'm saying it a lot," Barbaro said.

At other times, the chant erupts without prompting.

"The fans caught on. They love him," Barbaro said. "Even when he makes a hit, there's a spontaneous chant of Rooooo-tooooo."

How a pest, agitator, pot-stirring role player with a notorious reputation captures the fancy of hometown fans is just one of many subplots in the playoffs, but as the saying goes, the Cup changes everything.

Opponents disdain him the way they loathe mosquito bites or jock itch -- irritants that must be dealt with and get worse when scratched. In the blogosphere, anonymous postings rant about his villainy even as Web surfers are drawn to his hits and fights on YouTube, including his run at Jaromir Jagr in the 2006 Olympics.

There's no middle ground with Ruutu, whose facial scars are a road map of his style. If he's wearing the home sweater, he's cheered. For those on the other side, he's a dirty fiend and cheap-shot artist. Call it selective outrage.

In a recent Sports Illustrated poll of NHL players, Ruutu tied for third in the rankings of dirtiest players, although Philadelphia's Daniel Briere would put him at the top of that list. Ruutu placed behind the Rangers' Sean Avery and Anaheim's Chris Pronger, and even with Chris Simon, who was suspended for 30 games this season for using his skate like a meat cleaver on Ruutu's leg.

His reputation hardly upsets him, though. If he gets under someone's skin with antics, gestures, insults or heavy checks, he succeeds because the hatred he generates results in wasted energy in those looking for retribution.

"I like it," he said with a grin. "People can call me what they want. I probably get penalties called on me more often because of my reputation. But players on the other team have to keep their head up and be aware when I'm in the game. I've never drawn a line on what I can and can't do. I'll do whatever it takes to win."

Whatever it takes? Not only was that the slogan of Chuck Noll's dynasty, the NHL Hall of Fame has more than one honoree who had a similar mind-set in, say, leveling two-handers across an opponent's ankle in the name of winning. And for all the talent of the Mario Lemieux era, the Penguins didn't win a Stanley Cup until they acquired Ulf Samuelsson, perhaps the most-hated man in Boston for a knee-on-knee hit to Cam Neeley.

Savagery is as much a part of hockey as highlight-reel goals and spectacular saves, although it's supposed to be regulated by the referees. Ruutu is not the only player who plays on that edge.

Yet for a third- or fourth-line player whose penalty minutes (138) far exceed his regular season output (6 goals, 10 assists), Ruutu has been key in some of the most pivotal points of the season. Coincidence? His fans think not.

When the team was struggling in November, Ruutu's shootout goal beat the Ottawa Senators, who twice blew a two-goal lead. It was the kind of win that turns a season around.

In January, Ruutu slugged it out with Toronto tough guy Darcy Tucker, landing an unanswered series of punches.

In March, just days after he lost his stick and soccer-kicked the puck to lead a rush against the Rangers, he had his lip and mouth gashed open after scoring a goal against the Lightning. A stitching needle was required to close the wound, sort of like Ruutu voodoo. "I want to win hockey games. I don't care what I look like," he said at the time.

In the first round of the playoffs, Ruutu scored the winning goal that completed a sweep of the Senators.

And Ruutu jump-started his team against the Rangers.

But followers of the Penguins aren't the first to climb aboard the Ruutu train. In his six years in Vancouver, he inspired a song composed by long-time fan Heavy Eric Holmquist, a professional lumberjack, Canadian log-rolling champion and Elvis Presley impersonator.

"He's a live wire out there. He's a bit of a side show when he's on the ice, but he knows how to play the game. He knows when to cut out the funny stuff. He just puts his hard hat on and grinds away," Holmquist said.

The song is downloadable at www.heavyeric.com, although a donation to a charity is requested. The opening line is Ruutu, Ruutu, rocks 'em like U2. One verse goes like this:

Jarkko Ruutu's a feisty Finn.

He's always getting under someone's skin.

He's not scared to throw open ice hits.

And he's not afraid to drop his mitts.

One fan felt such a void when Ruutu came to Pittsburgh via free agency that he posted the three-word lament "I miss Ruutu" on a Canucks' message board.

Asked what triggered the sentiment, Russel Barden said: "Whenever the Canucks were playing poorly, Ruutu would go out and either make a huge hit or take the puck and drive straight to the net as hard as he could, no matter what might happen to him personally. He was always one player who could get the average fan into the game. He is a favorite on the team he plays on because he is one of the best in the league as a 'pest.' Teams hate playing against him."

Penguins fans can relate.

At a recent home game, Erica Sharer of Fombell was on her way to watch the action on the outdoor TV. She was decked out in black and gold beads and Penguins knee socks, and from her Penguins tote bag, she had a Penguins glove with the No. 1 finger extended. Completeting the ensemble was her authentic Ruutu jersey.

"He's been my favorite player," she said. "I like his whole attitude. He's not just good at getting under people's skin. He's scored some big goals. What's not to like?"

Lord Stiller
05-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I was probably the first Pens fan to sport a #37 Ruutu jersey in Mellon Arena. I bought it the day after I learned this pesky, little critter was coming to the Burgh!

haha, nice!

I got a Ruutu jersey for Christmas, one of my fav players!

memphissteelergirl
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
LOL...well now that I'm officially on the Pens' bandwagon guess I have to get a jersey too....leaning towards getting a Fleury or Hossa. :wink02:

ShutDown24
05-05-2008, 05:18 PM
http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/bc/images/story/17083.JPG

Counselor
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Very upsetting----but in everyone's defense, Ben was accepting the jersey from Umberger (right) who is from Plum Borough.

And Ben was at the game yesterday---showing the Pens some love.

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Two "bergers" hangin' out - cool. :thumbsup:

P.S. - - Ben - do something with that hair!!!!

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
hey now i own a flyers jersey.. although its a lindross jersey that just hangs in the back of my closet..lol

ShutDown24
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Very upsetting----but in everyone's defense, Ben was accepting the jersey from Umberger (right) who is from Plum Borough.

And Ben was at the game yesterday---showing the Pens some love.

Yeah, I don't take offense by it at all. The friends of mine who have seen it were angered and I didn't get why lol. I just thought it was kind of an interesting thing to see right now. The leader of our Pittsburgh Steelers holding the jersey of our Pens enemies lol.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
is it me or does this dude on the right in the stands look like casey hampton
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/20080505mf_pens_11_500.jpg