PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Petesburgh66
05-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Speaking of Jarkko. Watch around the one minute mark with him and Jagr.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip50637#clip50637

lol. Never blow a kiss towards Jarkko. Man, that was funny.

PS. Not sure if the link I posted will work for American IP addresses.

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Speaking of Jarkko. Watch around the one minute mark with him and Jagr.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip50637#clip50637

lol. Never blow a kiss towards Jarkko. Man, that was funny.

PS. Not sure if the link I posted will work for American IP addresses.

That was just too funny! :laughing::laughing:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Fatsomir wanted to kiss Ruutu - I have NEVER seen a photo of Jagr with a woman other than his Mommy. :chuckle:

Lord Stiller
05-05-2008, 05:12 PM
is it me or does this dude on the right in the stands look like casey hampton
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/20080505mf_pens_11_500.jpg

it is Hampton and the guy next to him is a steeler too....Townsend i think

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/20080505mf_pens_11_500.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that IS Big Snack and if it isn't, he definitely has a twin.

Several of the Steelers are regulars at Pens games. Hines Ward and his wife sit almost directly across from us in the first row and Jeff Reed and his babe du jour sit right above the Pens locker room runway. :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that IS Big Snack and if it isn't, he definitely has a twin.

Several of the Steelers are regulars at Pens games. Hines Ward and his wife sit almost directly across from us in the first row and Jeff Reed and his babe du jour sit right above the Pens locker room runway. :thumbsup:
i just glanced at the pic and was like wait let me go back look at that. thought it did look like hampton.if not he has a twin like you said, and maybe if hampton gets hurt we can replace him with his twin..

btw, htg, any suggestions on what i should do with my Flyers jersey??:wink02:

Lord Stiller
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
once again. it has been confirmed that it is Casey Hampton in the picture and i think the guy next to him is Townsend

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
btw, htg, any suggestions on what i should do with my Flyers jersey??:wink02:

Two words.

Burn it.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Two words.

Burn it.
and here i thought i would send it to you as a token of our friendship :wink02::hug:

SteelCityMan786
05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Two words.

Burn it.

If you have anything from a Filthy area team, burn it.

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
If you have anything from a Filthy area team, burn it.
you know what. forget sending to HTG, i am sending it to you steelman. along with a michigan jersey :flap::hug:

BettisFan
05-05-2008, 06:19 PM

yea i am 100 percent sure that is casey lol, thats tight that they support the pens! GO PENS!!

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
yea i am 100 percent sure that is casey lol, thats tight that they support the pens! GO PENS!!
yes its nice to see other sports athletes support each other. i know a bunch of the tigers usually go to the pistons games.

what i am curious is if hampton can sit behind the glass why cant ben???lol

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
what i am curious is if hampton can sit behind the glass why cant ben???lol

If you have the option of sitting behind the glass or up in Mario's comfy luxury box with free booze and eats, which would you choose? I know it would be a no-brainer for me. :thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
If you have the option of sitting behind the glass or up in Mario's comfy luxury box with free booze and eats, which would you choose? I know it would be a no-brainer for me. :thumbsup:
yeah you would be right behind the glass..lol...:wink02:.. i guess you have a good point. but that does make him look like a diva though..lol..thanks for the idea on my Flyers jersey

HometownGal
05-05-2008, 07:01 PM
yeah you would be right behind the glass..lol...:wink02:..

Hell no I wouldn't - I hate sitting there. You are even with the ice and sometimes the plexiglass is a bit murky, so you can't see as well as you can from a little higher up. Scares the bejesus out of you, too, when the guys come flying into the glass. I'd much rather sit in Mario's box and enjoy the wine and fancy schmancy hour dourves. :thumbsup:

OK back to business. LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Hell no I wouldn't - I hate sitting there. You are even with the ice and sometimes the plexiglass is a bit murky, so you can't see as well as you can from a little higher up. Scares the bejesus out of you, too, when the guys come flying into the glass. I'd much rather sit in Mario's box and enjoy the wine and fancy schmancy hour dourves. :thumbsup:

OK back to business. LETS GO PENS! :tt03:
yes lets go Pens... i dont know what i will do if it comes down to the pens and wings for the cup..

pittsburghp8baller
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
yes lets go Pens... i dont know what i will do if it comes down to the pens and wings for the cup..

im actually hoping for a Stars/Pens cup its not really likely but a 'rematch' would be great

X-Terminator
05-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Very upsetting----but in everyone's defense, Ben was accepting the jersey from Umberger (right) who is from Plum Borough.

And Ben was at the game yesterday---showing the Pens some love.

I don't care if Umberger is from Plum Borough, he plays for the ENEMY. Ben accepting the jersey is fine, but why do a photo op for it that's going to be plastered all over Pittsburgh? Sorry, but that's just very upsetting to me.

X-Terminator
05-06-2008, 12:31 AM
I love how one idiot on that board said that the Pens are supposedly to just have the Cup handed to them. My answer:

THAT'S WHY THE GAMES ARE PLAYED, JACKASS! Nobody is handed anything! If the Pens win it all it will be because they busted their collective butts to do so!!
(Whiny azz beyotch!)

Awesome series by the Pens! On to take care of business against Philly LET'S GO PENS!! :applaudit:

Yeah, I encountered that crap on another board I posted on, which is part of the reason why I don't go over there much anymore. They can rag all they want on the Pens, but for them to say or imply that the Pens, should they win the Cup, would not have earned it is ridiculous beyond words. The Pens have not been handed a damn thing - they've worked their tails off to get where they are. Again, it's nothing more than sour grapes and jealousy, because they can't accept that their team lost. They need to show the same class that the Rags' head coach showed in defeat:

"We lost fair and square" - Rags' HC Tom Renney.

Live with it, Rags fans.

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 06:33 AM
im actually hoping for a Stars/Pens cup its not really likely but a 'rematch' would be great
i dont think the stars will get past the wings.

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 07:23 AM
i dont know what i will do if it comes down to the pens and wings for the cup..

In what respect?

fansince'76
05-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Do hot air balloons procreate?

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/58613/2/istockphoto_58613_hot_air_head.jpg

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
In what respect?
well i live in detroit so i should pull for the wings.. but i really want the pens to win!! i might have to invest in a crosby jersey to sport around detroit if it comes down to them and the wings in the finals

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
well i live in detroit so i should pull for the wings.. but i really want the pens to win!! i might have to invest in a crosby jersey to sport around detroit if it comes down to them and the wings in the finals

Using that "formula", you should technically be a Lions fan too and you're not. Follow your heart on this one.

TackleMeBen
05-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Using that "formula", you should technically be a Lions fan too and you're not. Follow your heart on this one.
yes but the lions suck the wings,tigers(well this yr), and pistons do not..lol..:flap:
i would become a bengals fan before i became a lions fan.

at least i know i wont be dusting off my flyers jersey..lol...

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
yes but the lions suck the wings,tigers(well this yr), and pistons do not..lol..:flap:

You don't happen to be a bandwagon jumper, do ya? :flap:

pittsburghp8baller
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
i dont think the stars will get past the wings.

i dont think so either but it would be cool though. but u never know the Stars are the hot team coming into the series knocking out the defending champs and the team that most people thought would represent the west in the stanley cup. if the Stars can jump out quickly with Detroit having some time off Dallas could steal this series

Counselor
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Is it Friday yet???

HometownGal
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
i dont think so either but it would be cool though. but u never know the Stars are the hot team coming into the series knocking out the defending champs and the team that most people thought would represent the west in the stanley cup. if the Stars can jump out quickly with Detroit having some time off Dallas could steal this series

Agreed 100%. The Stars have been on a very hot streak, much like the Pens and Flyers, so you just never know.

Counselor - I'm with ya on that! :tt03:

Great read on Therrien. :drink: Hope you all enjoy this article as much as I did. I said it in a prior post and I'll say it again - it is :bs: that Therrien wasn't one of the 3 finalists for NHL Coach of the Year. I have to strongly disagree that Boudreau is more deserving than our Coach Therrien.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08127/879434-87.stm

Therrien worthy of respect

Tuesday, May 06, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's hard to believe Michel Therrien is not a candidate for the NHL's coach of the year award.At the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs, conventional thinking had the Penguins needing to win a round -- maybe two -- for coach Michel Therrien to keep his job.

Guess who you're going to get to kick around for another season?

There are many reasons to be thrilled about the Penguins' domination of the Ottawa Senators and New York Rangers, but the fact that it secured Therrien's future here at least for the short term is at the top of my list. I can't remember the most recent time I respected a coach more because of his honesty, strength and convictions.

Bill Cowher, maybe?

Jim Leyland, Joe Paterno and Chuck Noll, for sure.

That's pretty high company.

It's a crying shame that Therrien isn't one of the three candidates for the NHL's coach of the year award.

I've got no beef with Washington's Bruce Boudreau or Montreal's Guy Carbonneau. Boudreau led the Capitals to a remarkable 37-17-7 finish and the playoffs after replacing fired Glen Hanlon in late November. Carbonneau led the Canadiens to the Eastern Conference's best record in the NHL's toughest market. Therrien knows all about how rough Montreal is on its coaches. He was fired by the Canadiens in 2003 after two-plus seasons.

"It was like going to Harvard," Therrien said of that learning experience.

But how is Detroit's Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter a finalist ahead of Therrien? The Red Wings had the NHL's best record, but they didn't have the injuries the Penguins did.

That's why Therrien had to laugh after the Penguins lost Game 4 to the Rangers -- their only loss of these playoffs -- when asked how his team would respond to the adversity.

"Adversity? I don't think [one loss] is adversity," he said. "This team faced adversity during the season, losing our captain and our goaltender ... There were a lot of times we had seven or eight players out of the lineup. We had a lot of guys up from Wilkes-Barre ...

"The odds were against us. That was adversity."

Despite the long-term losses of Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury, the Penguins finished with 102 points, two fewer than Montreal. Therrien did a phenomenal job keeping his club on track.

He has been even better in the playoffs.

The biggest thing is the way Therrien has convinced a team loaded with offensive stars to play responsible defensive hockey. Fleury has been fabulous, but he will tell you his teammates have done a great job limiting the opponent's scoring chances.

Therrien was widely second-guessed after shuffling his defensive pairings before the series against the Rangers. Why fix something that isn't broken? But Therrien had his reasons, most dealing with matchups. How can you argue with the Penguins' success?

Check this out: In two of the three games at Mellon Arena, when Therrien had the final line change, the Rangers' great Jaromir Jagr didn't get a shot.

Game 5 Sunday was the best example of the all-around team the Penguins have become under Therrien. The Rangers had three shots in the final 19 minutes of the first period, none in the final 14:50 of the second period and none in overtime.

I'm thinking coaching had something to do with that.

Therrien has consistently shown great faith in all of his players, rolling out four lines. He was rewarded with huge goals from Gary Roberts, Max Talbot and Jarkko Ruutu against Ottawa and even bigger goals from Ruutu and Georges Laraque against the Rangers. He has received terrific energy from Tyler Kennedy and wonderful penalty-killing from Adam Hall.

The benefit of using all of his players is that Therrien is keeping stars Evgeni Malkin and Crosby fresh. They are averaging 21:01 and 19:43 of ice time. Compare that to Washington's Alexander Ovechkin, who averaged 24:03 in the Capitals' series against Philadelphia. That will be important later in the postseason, which, everyone knows, is a marathon, not a sprint.

There have been other things from Therrien. The timeout in Game 3 against the Rangers, which clearly settled his players. The fact he has been spotting two centers in the defensive zone for faceoffs late in games in case one gets waved out. The fact he used Malkin and Marian Hossa as penalty-killers late in Rangers' power plays, which made the Rangers a little less aggressive.

Off the ice, Therrien was quick to deliver a powerful defense of Crosby after the Rangers accused him of diving early in the series. He also vigorously defended Crosby and Malkin after they took bad penalties late in the Game 4 loss to the Rangers. You think his other players might have noticed?

I know the playoffs have nothing to do with the coach of the year award, but you can't tell me Therrien shouldn't win it.

"Recognition is nice, but that's not my main focus," Therrien said the other day. "My main focus is on my players, my assistant coaches, my management."

Penguins general manager Ray Shero laughed when he said Therrien probably shouldn't want the coach of the year award, anyway. "I told him not to hope too much for the darn thing when he was nominated for it last year [after leading the Penguins to a 47-point improvement]. A lot of times, when you're coach of the year, it just means you get to be coach for a year."

That was in reference to how quick NHL teams are to fire coaches, even successful ones. The Penguins are a perfect example of that foolish thinking. They've never had a coach start and finish four consecutive seasons.

It's nice to think Therrien will be the first.

"I'm a big believer in loyalty and communication. So is he," Shero said. "The loyalty and communication is there both ways.

"I think he and his staff have done a great job. Look at the results.

"I know people look at him when we don't win. Any time we hit a bump in the road, people want me to toss him overboard. That's the easiest thing for a manager to do. But what would that fix?"

Nothing.

In the Penguins' case, nothing needs to be fixed.

Not with Therrien in charge.

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
you know what. forget sending to HTG, i am sending it to you steelman. along with a michigan jersey :flap::hug:

I'll be mailing it to Penn State Students and saying "Here, I found you something to burn during the week of the Penn State/Michigan game this year as ya did with the Michigan Hat not long ago." :flap: They'd thank me for that. By the way, I'd also burn that Flyers Jersey to. In fact, I think I'll have it sent out to those who will be watching it outside Mellon.

BettisFan
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
so when do we play philly?

Lord Stiller
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
so when do we play philly?

Friday is the first game

I got tickets for Sunday's game, I'll be wearing my Ruutu jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

F*ck the Cryers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BettisFan
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
nice My cousin will be there!

SteelCityMan786
05-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Friday is the first game

I got tickets for Sunday's game, I'll be wearing my Ruutu jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

F*ck the Cryers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** PHILLY!

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 06:42 AM
You don't happen to be a bandwagon jumper, do ya? :flap:
no, i pull for the tigers when they are not playing my red soxs which they are doing now. so i am sporting red sox stuff.. and for the pistons, i was never really into basketball, i have liked the suns back when charles barkley played for them, but i will root for the pistons now. and for me rooting for the lions are you off your rocker???:flap:

fansince'76
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
HEE! :cheer:

HometownGal
05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Let the trash talking begin.

I'm so skeered to play those Flyers - aren't you? :horror: NOT. :toofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08128/879650-61.stm

Eastern Conference Final: Sparks fly early as war of words begins

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wow. The Stanley Cup playoffs really do convince guys to take sacrifice and courage to new levels.

Witness the Penguins.

Why, just two days before the scheduled start of their Eastern Conference final against Philadelphia, management not only has declined to investigate what would be involved in forfeiting the series, but also hasn't even had its players take any special steps to enhance their bladder control.

Awfully gutsy, considering there are some who contend the mere thought of facing the Flyers in a best-of-seven is enough to make the Penguins' bodily functions run amok.

Then again, there might be another explanation. Maybe, just maybe, those bleatings, nearly all of which emanated from of the far side of the commonwealth, about them being terrified to meet the Flyers might reflect a serious disconnect from reality.

Imagine that.

"It can't be expressed, the fear we feel," Penguins left winger Gary Roberts said yesterday, sarcasm lacing every syllable.

Roberts is a guy whose admirers would have you believe he could give Death itself a nervous breakdown with a split-second glare, so his feelings on the subject are particularly germane. Had the color drained from his face at the mention of the word "Philadelphia," that would have meant a lot, too.

The Fear Factor theory dates to the Penguins' 2-0 loss in Philadelphia the final day of the regular season, when a victory would have matched them against the Flyers in Round 1.

The Penguins sat Sidney Crosby -- who had missed 28 of the previous 34 games because of a high ankle sprain and its lingering effects, which continue to this day -- and played a thoroughly uninspired game that led to an opening-round matchup with Ottawa. Even before the final buzzer, conspiracy theorists floated the idea the Penguins intentionally lost because they wanted no part of a series with the Flyers.

"It's a good joke, that people talk about us losing the game on purpose," left winger Jarkko Ruutu said.

Perhaps, but all that was missing were eyewitness accounts that the Penguins had traveled to the Wachovia Center in black U.N. helicopters instead of a team bus.

And while the "Penguins-tanked-it" notion didn't begin in the Philadelphia locker room, at least some Flyers had no qualms about endorsing it.

Winger Riley Cote was quoted as saying, "It's almost like they threw the game," and center Jeff Carter told reporters that "maybe they're scared of us, I don't know."

Tough to misinterpret those sentiments or to see how such words could have been taken out of context.

"People can say what they want," Roberts said. "Is anybody in the NHL going to think you can purposely go out and try to lose a hockey game? I've never done it and I know we never did."

What the Penguins had done, several times, was to play poorly. It happened 13 days earlier on Long Island, too, although no one explained precisely who or what the Penguins were trying to dodge with that performance. Just as no one offered a coherent assessment of why the prospect of facing a team they had just beaten three times in a row would paralyze them with terror.

Not everyone associated with the Flyers, it should be noted, has embraced the concept of self-immolation by the Penguins. General manager Paul Holmgren made that clear a few days ago, when the Philadelphia Daily News asked if he felt they had lost that game intentionally.

"I don't think that happened,'' Holmgren said. "I thought [Flyers goalie Martin] Biron made a lot of good saves in that game. I just don't think that was the case."

Actually, Biron didn't have to make many stops that gave him a late boost in the Vezina Trophy voting, as the Penguins threw just 20 shots at him. The catch: The home team launched only 21 -- that's one more than the Penguins had -- at Marc-Andre Fleury before Mike Knuble scored into an empty net.

Hate to get bogged down in details like that, though. Or could be that the Flyers were trying to lose, so they could force the Penguins to meet them in Round 1?

That's an utterly absurd idea, obviously. One too ridiculous and demeaning to a team -- and a sport, and a league -- to be worthy of repeating.

Then again, it wouldn't have been the only one of those to come out of that game.

"We don't pick and choose who we play," Penguins right winger Georges Laraque said. "If the Flyers are the best team, we're going to end up playing them, anyway.

"We'll see what happens in the series. Then, we'll talk."

Counselor
05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
"It can't be expressed, the fear we feel," Penguins left winger Gary Roberts said yesterday, sarcasm lacing every syllable.

I love that! Gary Roberts rocks. This is even better than the 'Avery is an idiot' comment.

pittsburghp8baller
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Roberts is a guy whose admirers would have you believe he could give Death itself a nervous breakdown with a split-second glare

Classic, thats almost as good as 'when the boogie man goes to sleep he checks the closet for Gary Roberts'

IS IT FRIDAY YET!!!

any1 kno when Detriot/Dallas start thrus or Sat? or is it Friday 2?

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Classic, thats almost as good as 'when the boogie man goes to sleep he checks the closet for Gary Roberts'

IS IT FRIDAY YET!!!

any1 kno when Detriot/Dallas start thrus or Sat? or is it Friday 2?
detroit/dallas starts tomorrow in detroit.. i will be there.

pittsburghp8baller
05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
detroit/dallas starts tomorrow in detroit.. i will be there.

have fun ill be watching

LETS GO STARS

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
have fun ill be watching

LETS GO STARS
i am only going b/c this guy i am seeing has season tickets and asked me to go.. maybe i should go see if i can find a pens jersey here in detroit and wear it..lol

Lord Stiller
05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
i am only going b/c this guy i am seeing has season tickets and asked me to go.. maybe i should go see if i can find a pens jersey here in detroit and wear it..lol

do it! wear a Pens jersey, you might get on tv!

I once wore a Big Ben jersey and went to a Cincinnatti at Baltimore game lol

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
do it! wear a Pens jersey, you might get on tv!

I once wore a Big Ben jersey and went to a Cincinnatti at Baltimore game lol

lol. first of all i wouldnt go to a cincy vs. baltimore game..lol.. were the tickets free???lol.

Lord Stiller
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
lol. first of all i wouldnt go to a cincy vs. baltimore game..lol.. were the tickets free???lol.

yeah, the tix were free. I live in Bmore near the stadium unfortunately and was sitting on my front steps smoking when someone gave me the tix. I went just for the second half, it was pretty funny

TackleMeBen
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
yeah, the tix were free. I live in Bmore near the stadium unfortunately and was sitting on my front steps smoking when someone gave me the tix. I went just for the second half, it was pretty funny
one of my best friends live in Bmore. hence my son owning a ray lewis jersey ..

BettisFan
05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
one of my friends on my bday got me a mark clayton jersey lol then we burned it in the back yard that was 75 wasted dollars but it was worth it for me! And man am i ready for th e pens to play!

X-Terminator
05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Wait, am I in the wrong place? I thought this was the "Pens Tidbits" thread??

TackleMeBen
05-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Wait, am I in the wrong place? I thought this was the "Pens Tidbits" thread??
its, i am going to the dallas/detroit game tonight and said that i should go out and get a pens jersey and wear it to the detroit game tonight.

HometownGal
05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
How can you not just love Geno? :tt03: I think he's going to come up BIG against the Flyers in this series. :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08129/880083-61.stm

Malkin's personality starts to show through

Thursday, May 08, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Evgeni Malkin gets caught up under Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist late in deciding game Sunday at Mellon Arena.Perhaps the Penguins long ago should have called in the best archeologists. Even as methodical as they are, maybe they could have unearthed Evgeni Malkin's personality a little faster than it has emerged on its own in a new language.

Twenty-one months after he arrived in Pittsburgh to sign his NHL rookie contract, the enigmatic center's off-ice nature remains nearly buried to all but his teammates, even while his hockey skills have jetted him to the forefront of his sport as he and the team prepare to play Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference final starting tomorrow.

There are, though, starting to be some clues about the lanky Russian. Brush away a little dust, and an edge of Malkin's funny bone emerges.

After the Penguins' 3-2, overtime win Sunday that eliminated the New York Rangers -- and featured a spectacular, turnaround backhand goal by Malkin -- he was reminded of something he said earlier this season about Philadelphia.

After he had a goal and three assists in a 4-3 win Feb. 10 that broke a four-game losing streak to the Penguins' cross-state rivals, Malkin said he didn't like the Flyers, playing against them or playing in Wachovia Center, where, he said, fans pelt the Penguins' bench with popcorn.

Despite gaining that insight on the rivalry, he wasn't quite willing to repeat that with the playoff matchup looming.

"I don't like anybody," Malkin, 21, said in what would have been a snappier retort if it hadn't had to be cycled through interpreter George Birman.

"If I like them or not, we have to play them."

And whether the Flyers like it or not, they have to play against Malkin, a finalist for the Hart Trophy as the league's MVP.

"He's emerged as a world-class player and he's continued to play well right through the playoffs," Philadelphia coach John Stevens said.

Malkin finished second in the NHL in the regular season with 106 points, and his 14 playoff points in nine games have him tied with four others for first among scorers whose teams are still alive.

One of the others with 14 points is teammate Sidney Crosby, whose road to possibly repeating as the NHL scoring champion and MVP was derailed by an ankle injury, one that forced him to miss 28 games in the regular season and opened the door for Malkin to shine.

"Malkin, he reminds me of [former Flyer] Peter Forsberg in his prime, protecting the puck, making plays," said Philadelphia defenseman Kimmo Timonen, who is likely to be on the ice when Malkin is.

Crosby has two goals to Malkin's six this postseason and -- based on the way Malkin has dazzled, dipsy-doodled and dominated several games this postseason -- might have slipped to a spot alongside Malkin or even a skate blade's width behind him at the top of a short list of the world's best players.

"Geno's flying out there," Crosby said, using Malkin's American nickname.

That's far different from the end of last season, when Malkin had 85 points and won the Calder Trophy as the NHL rookie of the year but was spent and a little lost at playoff time. He had four assists but was hardly dominant, or even noticeable, in the Penguins' five-game loss to Ottawa in the first round.

This time, he knew what to expect.

"I figured that out last year when I had my first playoff experience," Malkin said through Birman. "It's a completely different game, different hockey."

He also realized how to condition and pace himself after playing more games than he ever had in a season and after a tumultuous summer 2006 when he broke away from his Russian Super League team to come to North America. "I feel great," Malkin said, also through Birman.

Great enough that more and more he will attempt some English interaction with those outside the team, especially if there are no cameras or microphones nearby.

He was asked one-on-one in English after a practice this week about faceoffs, perhaps the only component of his game that is not world class (39.3 percent winning clip in the regular season, 40.9 percent in the playoffs). He first shrugged and, in his deep voice and very understandable English answered, "Not good."

Thinking about it a couple seconds longer, he decided to offer an explanation.

"My arms are skinny," Malkin said, looking down at the portions not covered by his T-shirt sleeves.

Then, with a grin, he dipped his shoulder and slipped through a door to an area -- and a world -- accessible only to the players.

X-Terminator
05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
How can you not just love Geno? :tt03: I think he's going to come up BIG against the Flyers in this series. :thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08129/880083-61.stm

He burned the Flyers all season long - 15 points in 8 games. I'm pretty confident that's going to continue in this series, despite the Flyers putting Kimmo Timonen out there against him. Timonen's mobile, but he ain't exactly a shut-down defenseman, and it will be hard for him to match up physically with Geno. He's going to be paired with Jason Smith, who may be tough and physical, but is slow as hell and beat up to boot. I can see Geno attacking his side with speed - Smith can't hit what he can't catch. If the Flyers do successfully shut down Crosby and Hossa, then I see Geno carrying the team on his back like he did late in the season.

Counselor
05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
He burned the Flyers all season long - 15 points in 8 games. I'm pretty confident that's going to continue in this series, despite the Flyers putting Kimmo Timonen out there against him. Timonen's mobile, but he ain't exactly a shut-down defenseman, and it will be hard for him to match up physically with Geno. He's going to be paired with Jason Smith, who may be tough and physical, but is slow as hell and beat up to boot. I can see Geno attacking his side with speed - Smith can't hit what he can't catch. If the Flyers do successfully shut down Crosby and Hossa, then I see Geno carrying the team on his back like he did late in the season.

Crosby plays well against them too---especially when they piss him off. The Flyers (like the other teams who they play) must pick their poison. Do they focus on Crosby or Malkin. When they focus on one, the other burns them.

This series need to just start already!!!

HometownGal
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Though I'm sure Laraque would like to knock Hatcher's head off (and I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, as I dislike Hatcher intensely), I'm glad the Pens are making discipline a top priority in this series. :tt03:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=362751&page=NewsPage&service=page

Pens Stress Discipline Vs. Flyers

Joe Sager 12:57 PM EDT

When the Penguins and Flyers skate on the same sheet of ice, one can usually expect to see some fireworks.

This time, though, the Penguins will settle for a few sparks here and there.

The battles between the two cross-state rivals are usually intense. That should be the case this time as the two meet in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. However, the Penguins hope to remain disciplined.

“It’s a big rivalry, but the regular season is always bigger. In the regular season, you mostly brawl and all that other stuff happens because you can afford to lose a game then since you’re playing 82 games,” Penguins winger Georges Laraque said. “In the playoffs, it’s totally different. There’s a reason why there is little fighting in the playoffs and teams are more disciplined.

“Playoffs, I think we approach it differently. If we win, we’re going to the Stanley Cup Finals. That’s the main goal we’re thinking about. Everybody looks at it as a battle for Pennsylvania and that’s great for the fans, but for us, look at what’s at stake – if we win, look where we’re going. Just that is enough. We’re so close to what we want to achieve and it’s far from over and it’s going to be really hard. It’s a big climb right now to get to where we want to be.

“Playoff hockey is different. It’s going to be hard-nosed physical hockey, but it’s going to be different because both teams will be disciplined because one game, especially the first game, could be really big in this series,” he continued. “The Flyers are a physical team, but we know what we have to do. To win in the playoffs, you have to be disciplined and playing against this team is no different than any other in the playoffs. Whoever is the most disciplined will win.”

Penguins winger Jarkko Ruutu agreed.

“It’s playoffs, so you treat it like any other team. It’s a big rivalry, but it doesn’t change the mindset or the focus we have to have. We just have to go game by game and focus on the next shift and play well,” he said. “I think the fans are most excited about this. For us, it’s just another team. It doesn’t change the mindset at all. Whoever we play against, it has to be the same focus and mentality.”

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has tallied more points against Philadelphia (16+21 in 20 games) than any other team in his career. However, he knows that it will be a strong test to battle the Flyers, who won the season series against the Penguins, 5-3.

“Every playoff series is going to be intense and emotional. Obviously, there’s a rivalry there, but it doesn’t change the way we approach anything,” he said. “Whatever happened in the regular season is all out the window once playoffs roll around. Everyone is playing for keeps and I don’t think the regular season has much to do with it. You’re going to have to battle every series, no matter who you play.”

The Penguins have done a good job dispatching their first two playoff foes – sweeping the Senators and conquering the Rangers in five games.

“That doesn’t change anything. The first two series weren’t easy,” Crosby said. “We did a good job of keeping them short, but they weren’t easy. I expect this next series to be tougher.”

That’s why he agrees that discipline will be key as special teams can make all the difference in extending – and winning – a playoff series.

“That’s how you win in the playoffs. You can’t get caught up taking penalties. Teams really rely on their special teams – they are bringing them a long ways in the playoffs,” he said. “So, you’re going to get burned if you take a lot of penalties. They are a good hockey team with a lot of depth. Their defense is playing well and their goaltender is, too. They are a good team.”

HometownGal
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
WOW - this is a HUGE loss for the Flyers. I wish Timonen the best in his recovery.

http://kdka.com/sports/Kimmo.Timonen.Flyers.2.719556.html

Flyers' Timonen Likely Out For Series

Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen will likely miss the Eastern Conference finals against the Pittsburgh Penguins because of a blood clot in his ankle.

Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren said Timonen was hit with a shot in Game 4 against Montreal. The Flyers eliminated the Canadiens in five games and will open the next series at Pittsburgh on Friday night.

"We have to view this that he's not a player for us in the series, and march on," Holmgren said Thursday night.

Timonen is the Flyers' top defenseman and played a crucial role in shutting down Washington's Alex Ovechkin for most of the seven-game, first-round series. Timonen was fantastic at anticipating plays, attacking Ovechkin with the puck and taking away space to create easy goals.

He was just as effective against Montreal's Alex Kovalev, and was being counted on to limit Pittsburgh's top forwards Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Holmgren said Timonen, who didn't make the trip to Pittsburgh, is injured right where he ties up the skate.

"Obviously, you can't replace a player that does what Kimmo does for us," Holmgren said.

Jaroslav Modry or Ryan Parent will fill Timonen's roster spot. Timonen was injured in Game 3 against the Capitals after he slammed into the net, and crashed his right shoulder against the camera mounted inside. He didn't miss any games.

Timonen played Game 5 against the Canadiens, but Holmgren said the stud defenseman continued to complain about his injury.

Timonen, who has six assists in the postseason, is on blood thinners.

"If he gets hit again, a lot of problems could arise," Holmgren said.

X-Terminator
05-08-2008, 07:37 PM
That is definitely a tough loss for the Flyers. Yes, I ragged on Timonen a bit earlier, but the guy is a good defenseman and plays a similar style to Sergei Gonchar. He was the captain of the Nashville Predators before coming to Philadelphia this season - you don't wear the "C" if you suck. Not only is he on the top defense pairing, he is also very instrumental on the PP. I wish him well - blood clots anywhere aren't anything to mess around with.

fansince'76
05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
And the Pens draw first blood in the Conference Finals against the Flyers! 1-0 Pens, 13:41 to go in the 1st period. :tt02:

Edman
05-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Sykora with the Sweet goal. Keep it up, Pens!

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 06:55 PM
flyers tied it up or did they ????

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Flyers are winning now!

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:06 PM
This is actually the first playoff game I have seen this year.

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
pens just tied and man there was a hard hit on umberger

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Did that go off his blade.. .his skate.. or both?

I don't even know the rules anymore... this absolutely isn't the game I used to play.

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Did that go off his blade.. .his skate.. or both?

I don't even know the rules anymore... this absolutely isn't the game I used to play.
dont know. i am listening to it while i am posting on here :wink02:

fansince'76
05-09-2008, 07:18 PM
What a wild game! 3-2 Pens now - 1st intermission. :tt02:

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 07:20 PM
What a wild game! 3-2 Pens now - 1st intermission. :tt02:
yes. last nights wings game was a blow out.

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:21 PM
pens just tied and man there was a hard hit on umberger

Good. I hope they hit him harder in the 2nd. :thumbsup:

What a WOW of a game thus far. :drink: The Flyers are much more talented than either the Rags or the Sens. This ain't gonna be easy.

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:22 PM
yes. last nights wings game was a blow out.

THIS IS THE PENS TIDBITS THREAD!!!!

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Penguin forwards need to come back and take out the trailer on the play when the puck is around Fleury. The second Flyers goal is the typical BS goal they have been known for this playoff.

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:29 PM
This is a strange feeling for me... rooting for the Penguins...

I never rooted for them when they had Lemieux. He whined way to much for a man that size.

But from what I see of these young kids... They can play... and instead of whining... just put the puck in the net... or... did I hear.... Crosby actually dropped the gloves and did well for himself this year!

So I am in a strange place now.

PisnNapalm
05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I just found out that Umberger went to my old high school. Plum High. neat.

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 07:32 PM
THIS IS THE PENS TIDBITS THREAD!!!!
yes i know :wink02:. i was just comparing the pens game to the one last night. saying that this one is much better and has more action. i wasnt trying to hijack the thread. (i will go the penalty box now):flap:

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:34 PM

I never rooted for them when they had Lemieux. He whined way to much for a man that size.

But from what I see of these young kids... They can play... and instead of whining... just put the puck in the net... or... did I hear.... Crosby actually dropped the gloves and did well for himself this year!

You must not have watched a lot of Pens games when Lemieux was playing, Preacher. Not only was Lemieux one of the best in the history of the NHL, he was tough as nails, too. He never shyed away from giving a hit, taking a hit or digging out a puck in the corner.

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:35 PM
yes i know :wink02:. i was just comparing the pens game to the one last night. saying that this one is much better and has more action. i wasnt trying to hijack the thread. (i will go the penalty box now):flap:

Thank you.

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
You must not have watched a lot of Pens games when Lemieux was playing, Preacher. Not only was Lemieux one of the best in the history of the NHL, he was tough as nails, too. He never shyed away from giving a hit, taking a hit or digging out a puck in the corner.

No..

it was the whining about the clutching and grabbing after the game that bugged me.

But I gotta say this... as a person... to go through what he went through and come back and play at the level he did was quite amazing.

I just never liked his style of play

(don't forget.. i was a defenseman that loved the Tiger Williams, Sutter brother type of hockey).

Slapshot anyone?!

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Just tuned into the game. Don't watch too much hockey but enjoying this. How do the penguins and flyers match up in this series? who is favored?

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:43 PM
How in the WORLD is that holding?

Again..

this isn't the game I remember....

That seemed like a good play

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
THis is my first time watching these two kids... WOW.

Pens have a LONG future ahead of them...

better get that stadium built for them!

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 07:45 PM
4-2 pens now. i hope they dont let the flyers back into this game.

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Just tuned into the game. Don't watch too much hockey but enjoying this. How do the penguins and flyers match up in this series? who is favored?

Pens are favored in 6 or 7 games. What a great pass by Sarge to Geno who hammered it past Biron!

LETS GO PENS - pour it on! :thumbsup::tt03::drink:

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
How in the WORLD is that holding?

Again..

this isn't the game I remember....

That seemed like a good play

I agree. That was clean hit.

tony hipchest
05-09-2008, 07:47 PM
This is actually the first playoff game I have seen this year.what a 1st game to see!

im amazed how well they play shorthanded this year in the playoffs. its like they draw energy off it.:tt03:

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I love how the Pens are picking the Flyers pockets tonight on a regular basis. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM

.its not every day one gets to witness a preacher blaspheme. :flap:

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
anyone think that malkin could have a hat trick tonight? he already has two goals tonight, right?

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
its not every day one gets to witness a preacher blaspheme. :flap:

It's also not every day that we get to enjoy the company of so many closet Pens fans. :wink02:

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Unbelievable. The Flyers have been getting away with penalties all game. Nobody from that orange ass wipe of team better claim they played a discipline game.

Preacher
05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
It's also not every day that we get to enjoy the company of so many closet Pens fans. :wink02:

HTG...

Remember where I live...

Please... no comments about coming out of said closet!

:chuckle: :wink02:

Preacher
05-09-2008, 08:01 PM
OH man...

I just realized I could have been watching this in Hi Def the whole time!

:banging:

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 08:02 PM
HTG...

Remember where I live...

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Nice couple of saves by Biron - Pens could have made it 5-2. Oh well - that 5th goal is coming. I feel it. :tt03:

tony hipchest
05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
with the pens down years since mario retired (again) ive forgotten how much i love playoff hockey and what an edge of your seat rush it is.

ive also remembered how much i disliked eric lindross and martin brodeur (although i respected the goalie).

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 08:05 PM
with the pens down years since mario retired (again) ive forgotten how much i love playoff hockey and what an edge of your seat rush it is.

ive also remembered how much i disliked eric lindross and martin brodeur (although i respected the goalie).
i loved eric lindross. hence the only reason i own a flyers jersey.

Preacher
05-09-2008, 08:05 PM

I still think one of the BEST playoff seasons was the 94 season... when the Canucks and Rangers went to the finals.

that was an unbelievable playoff season

tony hipchest
05-09-2008, 08:08 PM
34 shots combined and 6 goals. if that doesnt get the casual fan excited, i dont know what will! :thumbsup:

Preacher
05-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah..

this is an inner-state rivarly.

Funny how I never really think of Philly as being in Pennsylvania.

HometownGal
05-09-2008, 08:12 PM

Some of these games are nail-biters, that's for sure.

Eric Lindros is a dirty scumbag. As for Brodeur - like you, I respect his talent in the net. He's a lock-in HOF'er.

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Bobby Clarke is on Hockey Night In Canada during the 2nd intermission. Wow. He is still referring to the Flyers like he is running them with words like we. Dude, your still senile.

The Duke
05-09-2008, 08:24 PM
HTG...

Remember where I live...

dammit, I was about to make one :flap:

joke stealer :wink02:

Edman
05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Leave it to Hatcher to start another fight.

Good ol' Philthy. The Goons are never let me down.

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Malkin won't get the hat trick but he will the game number 1 star.

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Hatcher is a piece of shit.

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
good save by fluery.

TackleMeBen
05-09-2008, 09:06 PM
excellent game tonight

Petesburgh66
05-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Great start by the Pens. They need to keep it up.

X-Terminator
05-09-2008, 09:29 PM

So I am in a strange place now.

I'm really tired of the "whining" accusations with both Lemieux and Crosby. In the case of Crosby, his "reputation" was built TWO YEARS AGO when he was an 18 year old KID. Sid has completely turned that around and does not whine even close to what he did back then. But I guess he's going to deal with that for the rest of his life, because so many fans don't think a guy can mature as a player and a person.

And as for Mario re: dropping the gloves, he had 6 career fights and won 5 of them. In fact, his first career fight was against Joffrey Lupul's father Gary in his rookie season. He could also throw his weight around when needed. So it isn't like he was a complete wallflower. Now Wayne Gretzky - HE was a big time whiner and crybaby, not to mention softer than a baby's ass.

Preacher
05-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm really tired of the "whining" accusations with both Lemieux and Crosby. In the case of Crosby, his "reputation" was built TWO YEARS AGO when he was an 18 year old KID. Sid has completely turned that around and does not whine even close to what he did back then. But I guess he's going to deal with that for the rest of his life, because so many fans don't think a guy can mature as a player and a person.

And as for Mario re: dropping the gloves, he had 6 career fights and won 5 of them. In fact, his first career fight was against Joffrey Lupul's father Gary in his rookie season. He could also throw his weight around when needed. So it isn't like he was a complete wallflower. Now Wayne Gretzky - HE was a big time whiner and crybaby, not to mention softer than a baby's ass.

I never said Crosby... don't know enough about him. matter of fact.. the one big thing I HAVE heard about him... other than scoring... was when he dropped the gloves this year.

On Lemeuix... well, I guess it is a matter of perspective... growing up on the westcoast... when talking about hockey.. it was almost a given that Lemeuix was a whiner.

For Gretzky... yeah, he whined to. He also wasn't 6-5. However, I saw a GREAT take on the Oilers....

It was this logo.... http://www.oilersrant.com/images/edm_logo.gif but it said Whiners instead of Oilers.. and the oil drop was a Binki instead.

SteelCityMan786
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
HEY BRIERE I PRESENT YOU WITH MY FIRST........:fingers: OF THE SERIES!

BettisFan
05-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Pens Wreck Shop 4-2 BABY!!!!

OneForTheToe
05-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Great game, I watched it at the club. The thing I love about Fleury is that, unlike in the past, even if he gives up a few goals he is able to gather himself and stone the other team the rest of the game. In the past it seemed like it was play well the whole game or play badly the whole game.

I bought a Crosby shirt today at Champs. I think I might go back for Malkin. That way I won't have to keep washing it.:thumbsup:

HometownGal
05-10-2008, 05:48 AM
A couple of nice reads in this morning's PPG:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08131/880815-194.stm

Malkin, Crosby too tough an assignment
Saturday, May 10, 2008

By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The two best players still standing in the Stanley Cup playoffs were on the ice at Mellon Arena last night and neither of them was in the uniform of the Philadelphia Flyers.

That's not a good thing in competitive athletic situations.

The Flyers vaunted balance vs. the Penguins celebrated star power -- Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby -- was a mismatch in this first game of the Eastern Conference final. Balance goes only so far, especially when the other team has Malkin and Crosby -- to say nothing of Marian Hossa.

Superstars prevailed, 4-2, in front of a delirious crowd of 17,132. Malkin scored twice and Crosby once, on an assist for Hossa. Petr Sykora, another vital cog in the offense, also scored.

For all the Flyers talent, they have three strong lines, none of their forwards matches up in skill with Malkin or Crosby or, for that matter, Hossa.

That was one large advantage for the Penguins.

Another was the absence of defenseman Kimmo Timonen, perhaps Philadelphia's best player, who is expected to miss the entire series with a blood clot.

If that wasn't enough -- and it was -- the Penguins, as near as could be determined, had the better goaltender in Marc-Andre Fleury. Although in fairness to the Flyers' Martin Biron, Fleury didn't have to face Malkin and Crosby.

"I thought we got the start we needed, we got the shots on net, we had the lead, but we didn't manage the puck," said Philadelphia coach John Stevens.

"Giving up rushes against Crosby and Malkin, that's the game you can't play."

It was Malkin, who came into his own when Crosby was injured for more than a third of the regular season, who undid the Flyers. While Crosby has been less than 100 percent with the high ankle sprain that caused him to miss 28 games, Malkin has grabbed the postseason stage and won't let it go. He continues to forge his own identity. He's no longer the other center behind Crosby. He's challenging Crosby for the right to be called the best player on the Penguins, if not the NHL.

With less than 10 seconds remaining in the first period and maybe when some of the Flyers had relaxed, Malkin got the puck from Ryan Whitney, bore down on Biron and lasered a puck to the wide side to give the Penguins a 3-2 lead.

It was the kind of play the superstars make. It was a play that swung the game in the Penguins favor, after they had come back from a 2-1 deficit. It inspired the Penguins and deflated the Flyers.

"It gave us confidence in the second period," said Penguins coach Michel Therrien. "It gave us the confidence we needed to play."

Malkin wasn't through tormenting Biron. Early in the second period, he toasted him again. Malkin was slow getting back into the play after he had been crushed against the boards behind the Flyers goal and knocked to the ground by Mike Richards, who scored both Philadelphia goals. As the play went down the ice, he slowly came back.

But, by the time he was at his blue line, the Penguins had the puck. Sergei Gonchar flipped it to him just outside his blue line. Malkin skated in alone on Biron.

For all his skills, this is not Malkin's strength. He's rarely sent out to participate in shootouts. Who can forget his feeble attempt on a penalty shot against the New York Rangers? Well, here he was again on what amounted to another penalty shot. This time it was Malkin the superstar, not Malkin the hesitant.

Biron didn't have a chance as Malkin would up and blistered a slap shot into the net.

"In that situation, I didn't have a lot of time to think," Malkin said through an interpreter. "It's not really a penalty shot when you think how you're going to make the move. I had a few second to think and I decided to shoot as hard as I could."

Crosby was asked if he had ever seen a slap shot from so close. "Whatever works," he said. "It was a great shot."

Crosby had been taking criticism for his lack of goal-scoring in the playoffs, although he had 12 assists and was tied with Malkin with 14 points. With the Penguins down, 2-1, with about six minutes remaining in the first period, Crosby took a pass from Hossa and threw it past Biron.

The game, befitting a contest of such importance, was hard-hitting with bodies flying. That's not always the time for superstars, but Therrien looked to his.

"Our good players play hard," he said. "They don't back down. Malkin, Hossa, Crosby, those type of players they play hard."

Hard and good -- too good for the Flyers.

HometownGal
05-10-2008, 05:50 AM
I think it is a little early to talk sweep, but it's a nice thought! :thumbsup:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08131/880812-61.stm

Cook: If Penguins keep this up, Flyers will be cast aside quickly
It isn't too early to talk sweep

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Is it too late to pick the Penguins in three games?

OK, enough with the wise-guy stuff, but, really, is there any reason to think the series with the Philadelphia Flyers will go more than four?

I don't see one.

Reality hit the Flyers hard at Mellon Arena last night when the Penguins swarmed them with their world-class talent and won Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals, 4-2. It will rock 'em even harder this morning when they wake up and realize it won't be any easier in the three games ahead without their best player, defenseman Kimmo Timonen.

Talk about your one-two punches.

It's hard to imagine the Flyers getting back up.

Game 1 was the one the Flyers needed to steal. The Penguins came out just a bit flat, at least defensively.

That was to be expected after the news the night before of Timonen's blood clot in his left ankle, an injury that should sideline him for the rest of the playoffs.

It's only human to relax after the opponent takes that kind of hit.

This also figured to be the one night the Flyers would rally around Timonen's loss and have an even bigger emotional edge. Certainly, that's what Timonen was hoping when he met his teammates late yesterday afternoon and told them, "Don't feel sorry for me. You guys have a game tonight."

That turned out to be the problem.

The Flyers had to play that game against a much superior Penguins team.

Sure, they had brief hope after turning the Penguins' early defensive lapses into a 2-1 lead. Center Mike Richards beat goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury with a wraparound shot that Fleury knocked into his net, a surprising goal considering Fleury's lights-out play in this postseason. Then, just 4:20 later, Richards scored again after teammate Joffrey Lupul outworked Penguins defensemen Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi in front of Fleury.

Penguins coach Michel Therrien wasn't happy but didn't blame his players for taking anything for granted because of Timonen's injury.

"We hadn't played in almost a week," Therrien said.

"The competitive level wasn't quite there in front of the net. We weren't aware of who was there. After we talked to the players, I thought we were much better."

This much is certain:

That 2-1 deficit turned out to be a mere annoyance for the Penguins.

Their stars made sure of it.

"The guys did a nice job coming back," Fleury said. "Everybody is always confident we can come back in any game."

With their talent, why not?

"When we get our chances, we score goals," said winger Petr Sykora, who got the Penguins' first one after a nice set-up pass from linemate Ryan Malone.

It couldn't have seemed fair to the Flyers to see Richards and Lupul work so hard for their second goal, then watch Sidney Crosby get an easy one 1:21 later when he swooped to the net and took a pretty pass from Marian Hossa before depositing the puck behind goaltender Martin Biron.

The next goal -- the tie-breaking goal -- hurt even more.

Evgeni Malkin -- the best player in the world in these playoffs -- beat Biron with a shot with just 6.5 seconds left in the first period.

"Huge goal, huge goal," Sykora said.

If that didn't deflate the Flyers, Malkin's second goal did after an amazing sequence early in the second period. Malkin was stopped by Biron on great shorthanded chance, an instant before he took a brutal hit from Richards. Malkin picked himself up slowly and did a little cherry-picking at the Flyers' blue line as play continued in the Penguins' end.

Malkin then took a pass from Sergei Gonchar and busted in on Biron for what amounted to a penalty shot. Malkin beat Biron with a fabulous slap shot.

"Phenomenal," Therrien said. "He's just phenomenal."

Where was that slapper on Malkin's penalty shot in Game 4 against the New York Rangers?

Not to be critical.

The truth?

There was nothing to criticize about the Penguins on this night, that slow defensive start aside.

They took what figures to be the Flyers' best shot and barely flinched.

I'll be surprised if the next three games aren't even easier.

HometownGal
05-10-2008, 05:53 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/08131/880813-61.stm

Flyers: Game 1 loss puts them in familiar spot

Saturday, May 10, 2008
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A shot by the Flyers' R.J. Umberger is stopped by the Penguins' Marc-Andre Fleury in the first period last night in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final series at Mellon Arena.The Philadelphia Flyers know what it feels like to be down, 1-0, in a series. All too well.

They lost, 5-4, at Washington in their first-round opener, but came back to win in seven games.

In the second round, Philadelphia lost at Montreal, 4-3, in overtime. The Flyers then won four in a row to eliminate the Canadiens and advance to face the Penguins.

That means they're on a trail they hope they recognize in the Eastern Conference final.

The Flyers kept the pattern going last night, falling, 4-2, to the Penguins in Game 1 at Mellon Arena.

"The upside is, we've always come back in the second game and had a really solid game, so [tomorrow], hopefully, we do the same thing," said Mike Richards, who had both the Flyers' goals and gave them a 2-1 lead in the first period.

The Flyers will have to address a few things if they hope to scrape back into this series as they did in the earlier two.

Namely, they will have to hold down the Penguins' big guns -- Evgeni Malkin had two goals, Sidney Crosby and Petr Sykora one each -- and certainly they will have to limit turnovers when those offensive threats are on the ice.

Malkin took advantage of turnovers for both his goals.

There was the momentum-shifting wrist shot from the left dot with 6.5 seconds left in the first period after he got the puck barely onside at the point.

And there was one of the more bizarre breakaways that produced the game's final goal at 4:50 of the second period, one that came with Philadelphia on a power play.

After getting knocked into the boards behind the Philadelphia net, Malkin got up and headed back up the ice, chasing the Flyers' odd-man break. But in the other end, Penguins winger Marian Hossa bumped Daniel Briere off the puck in the left circle, where defenseman Sergei Gonchar grabbed it and sent it down the ice.

Malkin, with no one around for what seemed like miles, got the puck near the blue line, skated down the slot and surprised goaltender Martin Biron with a slap shot from less than 10 feet.

"I knew he was tired," said Biron, who stopped 17 Penguins shots.

"He got up the ice, he came back, he got up again.

"When he lifted his stick up, at one point I thought he was just trying to pull a fake, so I had to stay honest on the play. He let it go and he had a good shot."

The Penguins then shut things down.

The Flyers were playing without top two-way defenseman Kimmo Timonen, who has a blood clot, and used reconfigured defensive pairings, but coach John Stevens refused to point to that as the reason his team had some trouble effectively moving the puck up to their forwards.

"No, let's stop there right now," Stevens said.

"Kimmo's not our lineup. We have six guys that are capable of moving the puck. I thought we had the start we wanted. We had the shots on net. We had the lead. We just didn't manage a puck as a group of five on the ice. Our support got too far away."

On the power play, where Timonen normally runs things from the point, Randy Jones filled in on the top unit, but Philadelphia was 0 for 3 and gave up Malkin's short-handed goal.

"Playing over 90 games with him, having chemistry with a player and then all of a sudden having another player, it hurts you," Richards said.

"It's something we'll have to deal with."

It's possible the teams with a healthy rivalry will have to deal with the added dimension of rough stuff, too.

The game was physical but relatively calm in terms of penalties until the final two minutes, when a large scrum produced 14 minute of penalty time.

"As the series goes, it's going to get tougher," said R.J. Umberger, a Plum native who picked up assists on both of Richards' goals.

"There's so much hatred. You saw it there toward the end. It could get worse. But we need to not think about that. We need to play better hockey."

7/39/43
05-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Great game last night I think we will win 6-1 Sunday
GO GUINS!

SteelCityMan786
05-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I think it is a little early to talk sweep, but it's a nice thought! :thumbsup:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08131/880812-61.stm

Cook: If Penguins keep this up, Flyers will be cast aside quickly
It isn't too early to talk sweep

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Is it too late to pick the Penguins in three games?

OK, enough with the wise-guy stuff, but, really, is there any reason to think the series with the Philadelphia Flyers will go more than four?

I don't see one.

Reality hit the Flyers hard at Mellon Arena last night when the Penguins swarmed them with their world-class talent and won Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals, 4-2. It will rock 'em even harder this morning when they wake up and realize it won't be any easier in the three games ahead without their best player, defenseman Kimmo Timonen.

Talk about your one-two punches.

It's hard to imagine the Flyers getting back up.

Game 1 was the one the Flyers needed to steal. The Penguins came out just a bit flat, at least defensively.

That was to be expected after the news the night before of Timonen's blood clot in his left ankle, an injury that should sideline him for the rest of the playoffs.

It's only human to relax after the opponent takes that kind of hit.

This also figured to be the one night the Flyers would rally around Timonen's loss and have an even bigger emotional edge. Certainly, that's what Timonen was hoping when he met his teammates late yesterday afternoon and told them, "Don't feel sorry for me. You guys have a game tonight."

That turned out to be the problem.

The Flyers had to play that game against a much superior Penguins team.

Sure, they had brief hope after turning the Penguins' early defensive lapses into a 2-1 lead. Center Mike Richards beat goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury with a wraparound shot that Fleury knocked into his net, a surprising goal considering Fleury's lights-out play in this postseason. Then, just 4:20 later, Richards scored again after teammate Joffrey Lupul outworked Penguins defensemen Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi in front of Fleury.

Penguins coach Michel Therrien wasn't happy but didn't blame his players for taking anything for granted because of Timonen's injury.

"We hadn't played in almost a week," Therrien said.

"The competitive level wasn't quite there in front of the net. We weren't aware of who was there. After we talked to the players, I thought we were much better."

This much is certain:

That 2-1 deficit turned out to be a mere annoyance for the Penguins.

Their stars made sure of it.

"The guys did a nice job coming back," Fleury said. "Everybody is always confident we can come back in any game."

With their talent, why not?

"When we get our chances, we score goals," said winger Petr Sykora, who got the Penguins' first one after a nice set-up pass from linemate Ryan Malone.

It couldn't have seemed fair to the Flyers to see Richards and Lupul work so hard for their second goal, then watch Sidney Crosby get an easy one 1:21 later when he swooped to the net and took a pretty pass from Marian Hossa before depositing the puck behind goaltender Martin Biron.

The next goal -- the tie-breaking goal -- hurt even more.

Evgeni Malkin -- the best player in the world in these playoffs -- beat Biron with a shot with just 6.5 seconds left in the first period.

"Huge goal, huge goal," Sykora said.

If that didn't deflate the Flyers, Malkin's second goal did after an amazing sequence early in the second period. Malkin was stopped by Biron on great shorthanded chance, an instant before he took a brutal hit from Richards. Malkin picked himself up slowly and did a little cherry-picking at the Flyers' blue line as play continued in the Penguins' end.

Malkin then took a pass from Sergei Gonchar and busted in on Biron for what amounted to a penalty shot. Malkin beat Biron with a fabulous slap shot.

"Phenomenal," Therrien said. "He's just phenomenal."

Where was that slapper on Malkin's penalty shot in Game 4 against the New York Rangers?

Not to be critical.

The truth?

There was nothing to criticize about the Penguins on this night, that slow defensive start aside.

They took what figures to be the Flyers' best shot and barely flinched.

I'll be surprised if the next three games aren't even easier.

I agree. Still too early to talk sweep. The Penguins I think can still pull it off, but remember, the Flyers are going to be looking to take Game 2. I feel if we take game 2 and then Split at worst in Philly, we can still win it in 5. But, if Philly continues to play the same ol game like they did last night, we will sweep them.

But for now, let's worry about game 2 and going up 2-0. :drink:

HometownGal
05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I think this article is well written and on-point regarding the Pens' stellar defense who are truly the "unsung heroes" in the successes our Pens have had not only during the regular season, but especially in the playoffs! :thumbsup::tt03:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=363094&page=NewsPage&service=page

Defensive prowess an overlooked facet of Pittsburgh Penguins' game

Canadian Press May 10, 2008, 3:29 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH - Given the offensive pizzazz on the Pittsburgh Penguins, it's hardly surprising that the most overlooked facet of their game has been their defensive prowess in these NHL playoffs.

Yes, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and the rest of the offensive juggernaut have provided some flashy and timely goals, but behind the sizzle lies the truth behind a 9-1 record this spring. The Penguins are ranked first in goals against, allowing only 1.90 goals per game in the playoffs.

"That's a part of the game we've been working on," star defenceman Sergei Gonchar said Saturday after practice. "A lot of people probably aren't paying attention to it because it's not something people think about when they think about the Pittsburgh Penguins. They think about nice goals and nice plays.

"But everybody has really bought into the defensive part of the game and that's why we're having some success."

It showed again Friday night in the opener of the Eastern Conference final, the Penguins completely shutting down the Philadelphia Flyers once they took a 4-2 lead in the second period.

"When we took that two-goal lead, we were tough to play against," said head coach Michel Therrien. "It's just something that we try to teach a lot with that young group through the course of the season to be able to get some success in the playoffs."

Therrien and his coaching staff deserve much credit. It's not easy convincing a young roster full of offensive studs to try just as hard on the other side of the puck. That part isn't nearly as much fun. But it starts with the guy wearing the captain's 'C'. Crosby bought in a long time ago so his teammates had no choice but to follow their young leader.

"Obviously, we realize if we don't play well defensively, we're not going to win a lot of games," said Crosby, who was plus-18 in the regular season and is plus-3 so far this spring. "We do have a lot of offensive players. But we all realize if we take care of things on our own end, it gives us a better opportunity to have the puck and not be chasing as much all game.

"So I think up front we realize we have to make sure we're coming back hard. Our defence has done a great job. They manage the puck well. We've got some big guys there that can be physical and they need to be. And obviously when Marc-Andre (Fleury) is playing well, it's hard to score goals against us."

Therrien is constantly bombarded with questions about his offensive stars. Can you believe how good Sid The Kid is, can you believe what Malkin did in tonight's game, etc... But his eyes lit up Saturday when asked about his team's defensive play. He obviously is proud how far his team has come in that department.

"You know what, people probably won't pay attention to our defensive game because of the weapons that we have offensively," said Therrien, whose team will look to take a 2-0 lead with a win Sunday in Game 2 (7:30 p.m. ET). "And I believe that's normal. We stress a lot with the players about playing a good team game, good defensive game, a good checking game. They know they want to be successful. And there's no team at this time of the year that could be successful without playing a good checking game.

"This is a young group who wants to be better. This is why it is so fun for a coaching staff to work with those young guys. Because they want to get better, and they pay attention to detail. ... Even if they're gifted, a lot of players are gifted defensively, they're not going to cheat. They're going to play the book, they're going to do the percentage play, and that's the only reason why right now we have success."

Clearly that message has sunk in through the Penguins dressing room.

"Defence wins championships, that's the way it is," said Penguins checker Jarkko Ruutu. "If you want to start opening up and try to get into high-scoring games, then you're probably not going to win. When you play smart defensively you create chances going the other way. I think it's a good balance, we've been smart about it so far.

"I think guys are buying into the defence much better than ever," he added. "You see guys like Malkin coming back hard. Everybody is buying in, it's contagious. Especially when your top guys are doing it. When they're not cutting corners, everybody follows suit."

Centre Jordan Staal, only 19, figures it's pretty simple really.

"Our game plan is really about limiting the other team's chances and we know that sooner or later, with the talent we have on this team, we're going to score goals as well," Staal said. "When we keep the puck out of our net, we're fine."

Preacher
05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
What really has me freaked out... beyond the fact I am routing for the Pens right now...

is the fact that I used to route for the flyers at times...

I'll tell you this much however... I route for ANY team against Detroit... except the Habs... for them, I hope they both lose... some how.

Edman
05-11-2008, 02:34 AM
It really boggles my mind that the Pens are still being called a finesse team with a supposed "whiner diver" in Crosby, while Philly is being called "the physical bullies". Yeah. Philly is goon-ish, but weren't the Rangers and Senators supposed to push the "finesse" Pens around?

It's all good though. Makes the victories all the more sweeter.

BettisFan
05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Its going to be great seeing us win the cup this year

tony hipchest
05-11-2008, 11:35 AM

:doh: my bad, i think i got the devils goalie mixed up with hextall(?). my hockey memory goes back to the days of fuhr, hasek, and roy, so its a little fuzzy. brodeur was the only devil i liked except for when he was stonewalling lemieux.

other than the penguins ive probably seen the most of the redwings (of course theyve always been good and get alot of tv exposure, plus my old step dad was a huge fan from detroit).

in a way, i would prefer the pens (if/when they advance) to play the sharts errrr.... stars, because ive seen the redwings win so much. its a little scary. on the other hand, to be the best you gotta beat the best (of the west). is that still the wings? i have always liked modano though, and to have a recognizable player in the cup would be cool.

since i havent followed the competition, i have just kinda noticed they seem pretty dominant in the playoffs as have the pens (so far... i dont wanna jinx them).

so can somebody who has followed all teams in hockey give me an assesment of who seems the most dominant?

Preacher
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
:doh: my bad, i think i got the devils goalie mixed up with hextall(?). my hockey memory goes back to the days of fuhr, hasek, and roy, so its a little fuzzy. brodeur was the only devil i liked except for when he was stonewalling lemieux.

other than the penguins ive probably seen the most of the redwings (of course theyve always been good and get alot of tv exposure, plus my old step dad was a huge fan from detroit).

in a way, i would prefer the pens (if/when they advance) to play the sharts errrr.... stars, because ive seen the redwings win so much. its a little scary. on the other hand, to be the best you gotta beat the best (of the west). is that still the wings? i have always liked modano though, and to have a recognizable player in the cup would be cool.

since i havent followed the competition, i have just kinda noticed they seem pretty dominant in the playoffs as have the pens (so far... i dont wanna jinx them).

so can somebody who has followed all teams in hockey give me an assesment of who seems the most dominant?

I want the Redwings advance... that way, I have No Qualms about rooting for the Pens.

Preacher
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Ruh Roh...

That is shot to the head..and blood o the ice.

Edman
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Bullshit. That was a goal.

And they say Pittsburgh gets the calls.

HometownGal
05-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Damned straight that was a goal - we were screwed. WIth all of the replay angles we saw, how in the hell could Toronto have ruled that no goal????? It was very conclusive, imho. :mad:

Pens totally dominated the first period - they look very strong. Keep it up boys - you're doin' great! :tt03::thumbsup:

Preacher
05-11-2008, 07:35 PM

I think it goes back to the "call on the ice" If it was called a goal, it would have stayed a goal. If it was called a non-goal, it stayed a non-goal.

tell you all this much though... Flyers had better step it up, or this is going to be a LONG four game series for them.

Edman
05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Game tied at one.

Now it's the Pens who have to step it up. Philly is getting a TON of breaks.

Preacher
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Wow.

I wonder how bad a shot that was that he isn't returning from an injury like that?

BettisFan
05-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Good game so far , come on pens lets take this.

Edman
05-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Marian Hossa is proving he's really worth the investment and trade! Great Goal!

2-1 Pens!

Preacher
05-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Is it just me... or does anyone else hate football terminology being used for hockey?

it isn't called special teams.

It is called being short-handed, or on a power-play.

There are no special teams!

Dangit!! :wink02:

HometownGal
05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Damn it. Malkin's pass intercepted by Richards and Sarge was turned the wrong way. Shorthanded goal. We're tied at 2.

It's gonna be one helluva 3rd period - LETS GO PENS!!!! :tt03:

X-Terminator
05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
This is the first time during the playoffs that I can definitely say that I have not been happy with the team's effort. We're being badly outplayed at even strength and not generating enough offense. If it wasn't for the PP, we'd be behind right now. And what the hell was Malkin thinking on that SH goal? Unless you have a clear lane, you DO NOT try a cross-ice pass at the blue line. Not a smart play at all. Hopefully we'll see a better effort in the 3rd. I have confidence in them, but I'm still not happy right now.

As for the disallowed goal, I thought they made the correct call. It looked as if the puck was over the line from the low-ice goal cam, but Biron's glove blocked the goal line and you couldn't definitively see white between the puck and the goal line. So you can't overturn the call in that case. Tough break, but that's how it goes. And I, too, do not want to hear any whining from Flyers fans about the Pens getting all of the calls. The Flyers have definitely benefited from some tough calls against the Pens so far in this series.

Preacher
05-11-2008, 08:46 PM
it sure is nice to see some good hockey again.

Preacher
05-11-2008, 08:53 PM
That arena has to be hot.

They are all skating with spaghetti legs right now.

HometownGal
05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
These refs blow. Biron shoves Ruutu down, Hatcher gives Ruutu a facewash and Ruutu gets a penalty??? WTF?????

Donut Don - where for art thou?

Preacher
05-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Anyone know the rule now about the puck going in the net off the body?

I imagine it has changed a few times since I have last really watched?

HometownGal
05-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Beauty of a goal by Max Talbot!!! Pens lead 3-2 with 11:09 left in 3rd.

POUR IT ON PENS!!! :tt03::drink:

Petesburgh66
05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I missed half of this game due to softball I play on Sundays.

But...welcome back Talbot. Great effort and pass by Gary Roberts to get you that goal. :thumbsup:

Preacher
05-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey... HTG...

I didn't realize you were only on the forum three months before I started!

For some reason, I thought you were here almost from the beginning.

Wow... You can tell when the puck hits the pipe.. TINGGGGGGGGGGGG

Petesburgh66
05-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Anyone know the rule now about the puck going in the net off the body?

If the puck goes off a skate, it counts provided you didn't have a kicking motion. Other wise, the rest of the body can be used to score. Ideally, you want to use your stick for obvious reasons.

Preacher
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
If the puck goes off a skate, it counts provided you didn't have a kicking motion. Other wise, the rest of the body can be used to score. Ideally, you want to use your stick for obvious reasons.

OK... The kicking motion is the same, what if it is a intentional body motion to put the puck in the net. Last I remember, that was still illegal. How about now?

Petesburgh66
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I think it goes back to the "call on the ice" If it was called a goal, it would have stayed a goal. If it was called a non-goal, it stayed a non-goal.

tell you all this much though... Flyers had better step it up, or this is going to be a LONG four game series for them.

I heard the radio call of this. The official ruling was that they did not see the puck go over the line. It has to be 100% conclusive. They can't assume that the pcuk went over the line.

However, I saw the replay on HNIC. That puck was clearly over the line.

Petesburgh66
05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
OK... The kicking motion is the same, what if it is a intentional body motion to put the puck in the net. Last I remember, that was still illegal. How about now?

You can't swat at a puck in the net either. But you can sure use your butt, leg, back, chest, head, face (if your really stupid) to re-direct a shot in.

Preacher
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM
You can't swat at a puck in the net either. But you can sure use your butt, leg, back, chest, head, face (if your really stupid) to re-direct a shot in.

OK...

That seems to ring a bell.. I kinda remember that change.

Thanks... I have been away from this game pretty much since the playoffs in about 97 or 98.

Petesburgh66
05-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Ha ha ha FU Flyers :fingers:

Love: Leafs nation.

OneForTheToe
05-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Mike.... yes the fat jumpsuit man has left the building.

HometownGal
05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey... HTG...

I didn't realize you were only on the forum three months before I started!

For some reason, I thought you were here almost from the beginning.

Wow... You can tell when the puck hits the pipe.. TINGGGGGGGGGGGG

I didn't know that either, but I don't pay attention to those things. I'll be here 2 years soon!

Great 3rd period by the Pens. God I hate those announcers on Versus - it's like they had their lips attached to the Flyers as ses. :jerkit:

Way to go Pens. On to Filthadelphia for Tuesday's matchup. I'd love to see them sweep those dirtbags, but I'll take a split. :thumbsup: GO PENS! :tt03:

OneForTheToe
05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
The Flyers have to be running out of ideas. Sure the games are competitive, but no matter what style they play nor level of physicality they reach, it is not enough. Pens can beat them at any type of game. I'm not predicting a sweep, because as is the common saying the series" isn't over" until the home team loses. Still, the heir apparents to the "Legion of Doom" must be feeling doomed.

HometownGal
05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

Careful there, Cryers fans, or you'll drown yourselves in your tears. Waaaaaaaaa. :upyours:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=515906

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r265/letsgomets07/pG01-1806298_customback.jpg

Edman
05-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Sweet Game by the Penguins. Iffy officiating, ridiculous non-goal call, competitive for the most part, but the Pens firepower is just too much. 8 goals in two games so far. In typical Flyers fashion, they insisted on bullying and getting chippy with the Penguins and it just doesn't work. Cryers fans hang their hat on "Well, we out-hit them", but in all honesty it's straw grasping. The Pens have the Flyers on the ropes.

Filthy will come out desperate in front of their home crowd at Wachovia for Game 3. It will be a much more competitive game. A split in Philly will be the Best-case scenario for the Pens.

tony hipchest
05-11-2008, 11:23 PM
:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

Careful there, Cryers fans, or you'll drown yourselves in your tears. Waaaaaaaaa. :upyours:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=515906

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r265/letsgomets07/pG01-1806298_customback.jpg
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Mike Richards blows it.

I hate my life...

I'm gonna go kill myself.

im thinking the phlyer die hards know a bit more than i. seems theyre not too confident in their team.

perhaps they see the writing on the wall. i'll take that.

but... ive seen it too many times (spurs vs hornets today) where a team rebounds from a 2-0 deficit once going home.

i kinda feel what x-terminator was saying earlier. this game seemed to lack some of the energy in game 1. after the dude took the puck in the eye, and the early fight, i expected high energy.

honestly, i dont even know if the coach or players control that.

im still concerned about the youth of this team, and hope they can dial it up on the road. every time ive felt this in the past 2 series, they have responded well. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

cant wait for tuesday!

X-Terminator
05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
This was the worst game the Pens have played so far in the playoffs - even worse than the 3-0 loss in game 4 against the Rags. I felt the Flyers outplayed them most of the game. But they still found a way to get the job done, and of course that's all that matters. It's a game they didn't really deserve to win though, IMO.

You should have heard John Stevens after the game - blaming the officiating for the loss! Um John, did you seem to forget that for 2 and a half periods in game 1, the Pens had exactly ONE PP and were on the receiving end of several iffy calls? Or that tonight, the Pens had a goal disallowed (you can call it either way; I still say it's a goal but the refs made the correct call) and Ruutu had 2 absolutely brutal calls against him tonight? OK, I'll give you the Briere call - that was a tough one, because he was clearly pushed into Fleury. But I'm sorry, the call against Hatcher on Hossa was correct - you can't leave your stick between a player's legs, plain and simple. Iffy? Yes. But it was the right call. So save all of your bellyaching, John, because it ain't going to fly here. If you want to be pissed at someone, how about Steve Downie for turning the puck over that led to the game-winning goal? THAT is why you lost, John. Not the refs.

X-Terminator
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM

Mike Richards blows it.

I hate my life...

I'm gonna go kill myself.

im thinking the phlyer die hards know a bit more than i. seems theyre not too confident in their team.

perhaps they see the writing on the wall. i'll take that.

but... ive seen it too many times (spurs vs hornets today) where a team rebounds from a 2-0 deficit once going home.

i kinda feel what x-terminator was saying earlier. this game seemed to lack some of the energy in game 1. after the dude took the puck in the eye, and the early fight, i expected high energy.

honestly, i dont even know if the coach or players control that.

im still concerned about the youth of this team, and hope they can dial it up on the road. every time ive felt this in the past 2 series, they have responded well. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

cant wait for tuesday!

Mike Richards blows it? You mean the same Mike Richards who has scored 3 of the 4 Flyer goals? The guy who made a perfect read on his SH goal that tied the game in the 2nd period? The guy who has made it his mission to crunch Evgeni Malkin every chance he gets? The guy who led the Flyers in scoring during the regular season and has 2 game-winning goals in the playoffs? THAT Mike Richards? Unbelievable...and typical of your average Killadelphia fan.

Hey, if the "Flyers Faithful" don't want him, we'll take him here in Pittsburgh. I love the way he plays the game.

Edman
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
This was the worst game the Pens have played so far in the playoffs - even worse than the 3-0 loss in game 4 against the Rags. I felt the Flyers outplayed them most of the game. But they still found a way to get the job done, and of course that's all that matters. It's a game they didn't really deserve to win though, IMO.

Deserving has nothing to do with it. You either win or you don't. If one period makes up a whole game, then yeah, the Penguins were outplayed this game.

X-Terminator
05-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Deserving has nothing to do with it. You either win or you don't. If one period makes up a whole game, then yeah, the Penguins were outplayed this game.

I felt they looked lackluster from the drop of the puck, really - not what I've been accustomed to seeing. They didn't really generate much offense at even strength until the 3rd period - at one point, they were outshot 16-3 at even strength. They have usually overwhelmed their opponents with chance after chance and forcing their goalie to make big saves; I can count on 1 hand the number of quality saves Biron was forced to make tonight. I'm sorry, but the Pens were in fact outplayed in this game, and were it not for their timely PP goals, they could very well have lost.

Edman
05-12-2008, 02:55 AM
I think we've been used to the Penguins mopping the floor with opponents in the playoffs. So much used to it that we expect it. I don't care how they win, as long as they win.

I just think it's a teeny bit silly to say the Pens didn't "deserve" to win when they were robbed of a goal that would've put them up 2-0 in the 1st period.

X-Terminator
05-12-2008, 03:32 AM
I think we've been used to the Penguins mopping the floor with opponents in the playoffs. So much used to it that we expect it. I don't care how they win, as long as they win.

I just think it's a teeny bit silly to say the Pens didn't "deserve" to win when they were robbed of a goal that would've put them up 2-0 in the 1st period.

You're probably right about being used to the Pens dominating games. It's very hard to keep up that kind of pace throughout the playoffs - even Detroit has had less than stellar games. Good teams find a way to win when they aren't at their best, which is what the Pens did tonight. But it doesn't mean they deserved to win based on their overall performance - being robbed of a goal doesn't change that fact. It isn't a silly notion at all.

TackleMeBen
05-12-2008, 06:54 AM
i thought i was the only one that thought the VS announcers were licking the flyers pucks..lol..

it was a great game last night. there was some good hitting, and i thought fluery did well. i would love to see the pens win the next two in philly, but it would be nice if they would split and come home to win the eastern division.

Counselor
05-12-2008, 09:53 AM
I felt they looked lackluster from the drop of the puck, really - not what I've been accustomed to seeing. They didn't really generate much offense at even strength until the 3rd period - at one point, they were outshot 16-3 at even strength. They have usually overwhelmed their opponents with chance after chance and forcing their goalie to make big saves; I can count on 1 hand the number of quality saves Biron was forced to make tonight. I'm sorry, but the Pens were in fact outplayed in this game, and were it not for their timely PP goals, they could very well have lost.

I really disagree. The second period was not the best----a bit like Rangers series game 3. But throughout the game there were long stretches played entirely in Philadelphia's end---without the corresponsing long stretches in the Pens defensive zone---thats demoralizing for the Flyers. Periods one and three were solidly in the Pens favor. I will grant you that at times they looked a little slow, but the way the puck was bouncing, it looked like the ice wasn't very good. (anyone at the game to confirm?) If Crosby's 2nd goal would have counted the momentum would have stayed completely with the Pens---I think that took a little out of them because it was clearly in the goal.

I think this was Malkin's worst game, but not the team's worst. Crosby looked like he had a lot more zip in his legs than he did in the Ranger series, Kennedy looked good, and Hossa's backchecking just kills me!

HometownGal
05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I really disagree. The second period was not the best----a bit like Rangers series game 3. But throughout the game there were long stretches played entirely in Philadelphia's end---without the corresponsing long stretches in the Pens defensive zone---thats demoralizing for the Flyers. Periods one and three were solidly in the Pens favor. I will grant you that at times they looked a little slow, but the way the puck was bouncing, it looked like the ice wasn't very good. (anyone at the game to confirm?) If Crosby's 2nd goal would have counted the momentum would have stayed completely with the Pens---I think that took a little out of them because it was clearly in the goal.

I think this was Malkin's worst game, but not the team's worst. Crosby looked like he had a lot more zip in his legs than he did in the Ranger series, Kennedy looked good, and Hossa's backchecking just kills me!

I have to agree with you Counselor. The Pens had a bit of a drop in the 2nd period, but totally outplayed the Flyers in Periods 1 and 3. I think the disallowed goal (which was total hogwash) swung the momentum to the Flyers and they tried to capitalize on that momentum, which the Pens snuffed out in the 3rd.

The ice looked terrible again and it can't be blamed on warm weather on the outside, as it was raining almost all day and quite chilly here in the Burgh yesterday.

Malkin didn't have his best game, but I'll give him a pass on it because the kid has been on the top of his game throughout the playoffs (not to mention his stellar play and leadership when Sid went down during the regular season). Everyone has a bad game now and then and I expect Geno to bounce right back and make the Flyers' lives miserable again in Games 3 and 4.

The next 2 games in Philly aren't going to be easy, but I am hoping we can at least come back to the Burgh with a split, though I'd sure love to see the Pens stick it to 'em in both games and end it in front of the Cryers fans. :tt03::thumbsup:

Counselor
05-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Interesting comments---shows you why the Pens getting out shot on occasion is not always a a bad thing.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=25d9ce60-4341-47bb-9cef-def7490c8185

Penguins waiting for good shots, Biron says
Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, May 12, 2008
NHL NOTEBOOk I The Pittsburgh Penguins are loaded with offensive talent, but Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Martin Biron said some of the Penguins stars don't act like typical snipers.

"I think Pittsburgh is a little like Washington in the sense that they don't shoot a lot," Biron told the Delaware County Times. "They don't shoot unnecessary pucks to the net. Whenever they get a chance, it's a good chance, a scoring chance when they get the puck to the net. So, you don't get to feel the puck and feel your angles. You've got to be extra focused and mentally ready."

Biron is adjusting his game to be ready for an extra pass or even a moment of hesitation from the Penguins forwards.

The first shot of the game [against the Penguins] could be an incredible scoring chance," Biron said. "Some teams you'll face three, four, five shots before that happens. So, I think that's an adjustment as a goalie you've got to make. Even if it looks like they might shoot the puck on net, there's always a play that they have in the back of their mind that might be a better scoring chance."

rbryan
05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Flyers shot thier wad last night, get the brooms ready.

Unless the cryers get EVERY call thier way they have no shot to win even one game. The disallowed goal yesterday was a joke. Replay showed it was clearly across the line. Two back to back questionable penalties gave them what amounted to a 4 minute power play, that and a fluke shorthanded goal is the only reason they got the two scores, yet thier whiny coach still wants to cry foul??? What a clown, he makes Mike Holmgren look like a good sport.

SteelCityMan786
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
HEY BRIERE I PRESENT WITH MY SECOND.........:fingers: OF THE SERIES.

X-Terminator
05-12-2008, 07:53 PM

I have to agree with you Counselor. The Pens had a bit of a drop in the 2nd period, but totally outplayed the Flyers in Periods 1 and 3. I think the disallowed goal (which was total hogwash) swung the momentum to the Flyers and they tried to capitalize on that momentum, which the Pens snuffed out in the 3rd.

The ice looked terrible again and it can't be blamed on warm weather on the outside, as it was raining almost all day and quite chilly here in the Burgh yesterday.

Malkin didn't have his best game, but I'll give him a pass on it because the kid has been on the top of his game throughout the playoffs (not to mention his stellar play and leadership when Sid went down during the regular season). Everyone has a bad game now and then and I expect Geno to bounce right back and make the Flyers' lives miserable again in Games 3 and 4.

The next 2 games in Philly aren't going to be easy, but I am hoping we can at least come back to the Burgh with a split, though I'd sure love to see the Pens stick it to 'em in both games and end it in front of the Cryers fans. :tt03::thumbsup:

I think you gals are right, now that I look back on the game. I think I was fooled by the ice being so bad, especially in the first period, and the announcers talking up the Flyers all night long. The fact that Joe Beninati did that (the Versus PBP announcer) surprises me because he is Washington's head PBP guy, and at times doesn't have a lot of love for the Flyers. But anyway, the Flyers definitely did play a better game last night than in Game 1 and were better at even strength than the Pens were for about half the game, but the Pens were starting to take control of the game even before Richards' SH goal and totally owned the 3rd, as they have through most of the playoffs.

As for the ice, I think that alone is a good argument for a new arena with modern technology to maintain a quality ice surface. I haven't seen the ice look so bad since the early 90s and is not conducive to the puck-possession game the Pens like to play. Even though it was cooler, the rain made it a little more damp and humid inside, and that doesn't help the ice either. It looked better in the 2nd and 3rd periods, but it still wasn't top-notch by any stretch. Perhaps we can hire the guys from Edmonton maintain our ice? Rexall Place (formerly Northlands Coliseum) is always voted as having the best and fastest ice in the NHL.

SteelCityMan786
05-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I think you gals are right, now that I look back on the game. I think I was fooled by the ice being so bad, especially in the first period, and the announcers talking up the Flyers all night long. The fact that Joe Beninati did that (the Versus PBP announcer) surprises me because he is Washington's head PBP guy, and at times doesn't have a lot of love for the Flyers. But anyway, the Flyers definitely did play a better game last night than in Game 1 and were better at even strength than the Pens were for about half the game, but the Pens were starting to take control of the game even before Richards' SH goal and totally owned the 3rd, as they have through most of the playoffs.

As for the ice, I think that alone is a good argument for a new arena with modern technology to maintain a quality ice surface. I haven't seen the ice look so bad since the early 90s and is not conducive to the puck-possession game the Pens like to play. Even though it was cooler, the rain made it a little more damp and humid inside, and that doesn't help the ice either. It looked better in the 2nd and 3rd periods, but it still wasn't top-notch by any stretch. Perhaps we can hire the guys from Edmonton maintain our ice? Rexall Place (formerly Northlands Coliseum) is always voted as having the best and fastest ice in the NHL.

Don't worry XT, soon the shovels will break the ground on the land that the Penguins will have a new arena built and will be there home for the next 30+ Years. :drink:

TackleMeBen
05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
they showed a computer generated image of the new arena and it looked really nice.

SteelCityMan786
05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
they showed a computer generated image of the new arena and it looked really nice.

I'm right now also just trying to enjoy some of the last moments at Mellon Arena though first for the 2007-2008 season and the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs. :thumbsup: While preparing to move across the street to a new home.

Lord Stiller
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm right now also just trying to enjoy some of the last moments at Mellon Arena though first for the 2007-2008 season and the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs. :thumbsup: While preparing to move across the street to a new home.

You do realize the Pens will be playing in Mellon arena for 2 more years?

SteelCityMan786
05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
You do realize the Pens will be playing in Mellon arena for 2 more years?

Yeah I know, think I expected they'd be done with it by tomorrow? :toofunny:

Petesburgh66
05-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Perhaps we can hire the guys from Edmonton maintain our ice? Rexall Place (formerly Northlands Coliseum) is always voted as having the best and fastest ice in the NHL.

It helps when Edmonton is the coldest market in terms of climate in the NHL.

BettisFan
05-12-2008, 10:43 PM
alright guys we know we are going to win this series but lets make sure of it tuesday and take a 3-0 lead!

X-Terminator
05-12-2008, 11:10 PM
It helps when Edmonton is the coldest market in terms of climate in the NHL.

True dat...

At one time though, Mellon had a highly rated ice surface, but in the past couple of years, it hasn't been the best. There have been more complaints about it this season than I can remember for a long time.

jjpro11
05-12-2008, 11:43 PM
mellon arena with their ice.. heinz field with their field.. :pity:

Preacher
05-13-2008, 12:32 AM
True dat...

At one time though, Mellon had a highly rated ice surface, but in the past couple of years, it hasn't been the best. There have been more complaints about it this season than I can remember for a long time.

there are two reasons (if I remember right) for bad ice...temperature and layers of freezing. Either the first sheet was laid down way too thick (meaning that the ice will freeze weird and maybe crack, split, etc. or the building may not be able to hold a consistent temperature (including compressors, piping, etc. etc). I wonder if the building itself and an inability to keep a consistent temp. at this point has something to do with it.

BTW... Edmonton actually has a hard job keeping their ice so good. It is TOO COLD for good ice in Edmonton. They have to bring the temperature of the ice UP.

X-Terminator
05-13-2008, 01:29 AM
there are two reasons (if I remember right) for bad ice...temperature and layers of freezing. Either the first sheet was laid down way too thick (meaning that the ice will freeze weird and maybe crack, split, etc. or the building may not be able to hold a consistent temperature (including compressors, piping, etc. etc). I wonder if the building itself and an inability to keep a consistent temp. at this point has something to do with it.

BTW... Edmonton actually has a hard job keeping their ice so good. It is TOO COLD for good ice in Edmonton. They have to bring the temperature of the ice UP.

I think it's the inability of the building to keep a consistent temperature that is the main problem, which is perfectly understandable given its age. There was a time when it was always kept cool inside the arena, in the late 90s, and that was when it had its best ice surface. Nowadays, after the fans are all inside and the game starts, it gets pretty warm. Martin Biron of the Flyers has said its the warmest building he has played in. And since it costs an assload to replace it all, the powers that be probably decided that it was best to just leave it in place since it isn't going to be open much longer anyway. So the players are just going to have to get used to the bad ice at times over the next 2 years until the new arena opens.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 02:40 AM
I think it's the inability of the building to keep a consistent temperature that is the main problem, which is perfectly understandable given its age. There was a time when it was always kept cool inside the arena, in the late 90s, and that was when it had its best ice surface. Nowadays, after the fans are all inside and the game starts, it gets pretty warm. Martin Biron of the Flyers has said its the warmest building he has played in. And since it costs an assload to replace it all, the powers that be probably decided that it was best to just leave it in place since it isn't going to be open much longer anyway. So the players are just going to have to get used to the bad ice at times over the next 2 years until the new arena opens.

Yeah...

that makes sense. About the only thing you can do on a half-way cheap side is put massive vents in the ceiling... but I bet that would be a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I skated in a rink like that... it was the old coliseum in Spokane Washington. EVERYONE hated skating there because it was just SO dang hot. When we were scheduled for a practice there (the traveling teams), we absolutely DREADED practice.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Stay classy there, Cryers fans. :jerkit: The booing and taunting is normal for an opponent, but throwing things at them on the bench is a little over the top (and quite childish).

If our fans acted like that in Mellon Arena, they'd quickly be shown the door.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08134/881338-61.stm

Malkin not a fan of free popcorn provided to bench

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHILADELPHIA -- Evgeni Malkin let it be known a while back that he doesn't really care for playing in the City of Brotherly Love.

Not so much because the Penguins failed to win a game at the Wachovia Center this season, or because Philadelphia tries to take any particular liberties with him, as the Flyers have been accused of doing with opposing players once or twice during their 41 seasons in the National Hockey League.

No, Malkin said, the problem is the popcorn. Not because the stuff available at the concession stands is any more stale or chewy than the pseudo-Styrofoam offered in most arenas, but because some fans are more inclined to toss it onto the visiting team's bench than down their throats.

He might have a valid point, but in a city that celebrates the hostility of its sports fans -- remember, these are the folks who, a generation or so ago, generated national headlines by booing Santa Claus -- chucking popcorn hardly seems to constitute an act of wanton violence.

"[Malkin] is from Russia," linemate Ryan Malone said yesterday. "I don't know what they have over there, but popcorn's not that big of a deal. Most of us played some type of junior hockey, where we've seen worse. Where we've had beers dumped on us."

Popcorn, of course, isn't the only thing that will be hurled at the Penguins before, during and after Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final against the Flyers at 7:38 p.m. today. Taunts and insults will, as usual, pour down from the upper reaches of the Wachovia Center, and a few other objects -- edible or otherwise -- figure to sail in their direction, as well.

The idea is to distract, even intimidate, them and, given the Penguins' 0-4 record in 2007-08, it's hard to see a built-in flaw in the formula. The only catch is, rather than being unnerved by the abuse -- regardless of the precise form it takes -- most of the Penguins insist they actually enjoy the working conditions at Wachovia Center.

"I wouldn't say it's a tough place to play," defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "They're obviously pretty passionate about their team, pretty passionate about the game.

"It makes it fun to go in there, that the fans are into it. It's more fun playing there than it would be in a place where the seats aren't filled and the fans aren't into it."

Scuderi is one of the guys who receives only the standard-issue mistreatment. Sidney Crosby is the one who's treated like he had been dropped off in the midst of 20,000 Dawg Pound residents who have gone off their medication.

"I would say it's a pretty tough place to play," Crosby said. "But at the same time, in the playoffs it makes for a great atmosphere."

He declined to specify the worst thing that has been said or done to him -- at least by anyone who didn't break three of his teeth, as Derian Hatcher did with a high stick on Crosby's first visit -- but that might just mean there were too many possibilities to sift through on short notice.

"I can't really name one thing," Crosby said. "They're just a tough crowd. They're not afraid to say anything. You know, they're just very vocal. A vocal group."

For the record, he wasn't talking about the O'Jays.

What hasn't seemed to register with the Wachovia Center crowd is that his productivity seems to rise in conjunction with the amount of grief he receives, a point he made for the first time when he scored the overtime winner in the game Hatcher did his impromptu dental work.

Since then, he has treated the Flyers like his personal pinata more than a few times, putting up 16 goals and 21 assists in 20 regular-season games and two goals and an assist in the first two games of this series, even though he's operating at less than 100 percent because of the lingering effects of a high ankle sprain.

So Crosby will absorb some high-decibel taunting tonight and, if precedent holds, probably answer by setting up and/or scoring a few goals. It's a trade-off he, and his teammates, won't mind making.

That assumes they're not too tired to notice, because security personnel at whatever hotel they happen to be staying in rarely manages to prevent pranksters from setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night.

"We've had the fire alarm pulled more than a few times," Scuderi said. "It seems to happen, more often than not."

Sure, that's annoying, but it could be worse. And eventually it will be, if someone figures out how to rig a hotel sprinkler system so it sprays popcorn.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Looks like Coburn will be out of the Cryers' lineup tonight and maybe for Game 4. I'm glad he's going to be OK (from preliminary reports). This means that big turd on skates, Hatcher, will be seeing a ton of ice time again in tonight's matchup. I hope the Pens burn his ass.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08134/881357-61.stm

Flyers in dire need of defensive help
Injuries limiting available players

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
By Ed Moran, Philadelphia Daily News

Braydon Coburn ... doubtful for tonight's Game 3

Down and running out of defensemen.

That was the condition of the Flyers yesterday as they prepared to try to get back into the Eastern Conference finals tonight in the Wachovia Center.

Defenseman Braydon Coburn, who sustained a severe laceration of his left eye that required more than 50 stitches to close Sunday night in the Flyers' 4-2 loss in Pittsburgh, will need a miracle to be ready to play in Game 3.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said yesterday that Coburn's official availability is listed as "doubtful," but pending the results of an examination with an ophthalmologist that was scheduled for yesterday afternoon, and provided the swelling around his eye subsides, he could play in Game 4 Thursday.

The Penguins lead the series, 2-0.

"We're still waiting to hear word on how his eye actually is," Holmgren said. "Right now, it's swollen shut. There are no fractures and he's doing better. We have no reason to think that there's anything wrong with the eye itself."

The loss of Coburn compounds the already difficult job of playing without defenseman Kimmo Timonen, who was lost for the rest of the season with a blood clot in his left ankle on the eve of the conference final. Timonen and Coburn were the Flyers' best shutdown pair, and not having either available for a critical Game 3 makes the Flyers' challenge of getting back into the series that much more difficult.

Ryan Parent, the rookie defenseman acquired from Nashville in the Peter Forsberg trade last year and called up late in the season, most likely will take Coburn's spot on the bench. The young defenseman is a smooth, fast skater and can make quick breakout passes, but he has not played since Game 1 of the opening playoff series against Washington.

Coburn was struck by a puck that was shot by the Penguins' Sergei Gonchar and then deflected up into his face by Evgeni Malkin early in the first period.

Coburn fell to the ice and lost a lot of blood. The cut needed extensive stitching to close. According to Holmgren, Coburn had a rough time on the flight home, was dizzy and vomiting, but Holmgren said he is not believed to have suffered a concussion.

"He had no loss of consciousness. At the time he was cognizant and aware when [Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin] got to him," Holmgren said. "He did have some issues on the plane ... but I think everybody thinks it was due to loss of blood. He lost a lot of blood from that injury.

"Everything checks out; we're just waiting to hear from the ophthalmologist on the actual eye itself, whether there's any issues there. We don't suspect there is, we just want to get it checked out.

"Our doctors who were at the game thought he was fine, but we just wanted him to get checked out by an actual ophthalmologist. Assuming there are no issues there, we'll just wait for the swelling to go down."

With Coburn out, Derian Hatcher becomes the Flyers' top defensive defenseman. Hatcher played nearly 29 minutes Sunday; yesterday he said he felt fine.

"Surprisingly I don't feel that bad," Hatcher said. "I thought I would be a little more sore but I don't feel that bad and we'll all do what we have to back there."

Hatcher has been around hockey injuries a lot in his 16-year NHL career, so it was with veteran empathy that he got a small chuckle out of Coburn's condition.

"I talked to him after the game and I was messing around with him a little bit," Hatcher said. "It seems like he's going to be alrightall right, and that's why I'm laughing and smiling."

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
i hope the pens can pull it out tonight.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Very good read from The Philadelphia Inquirer. :thumbsup: So much for all of that talk by the media that the Pens are strictly a "finesse team". The Pens aint afraid of no Flyers! :tt03:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20080512_Penguins_show_they_can_play_rough_as_well .html

Penguins show they can play rough as well
By Ray Parrillo

PITTSBURGH - With stars such as Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby and Marian Hossa, it's easy to label the Penguins as a team simply built on skill and speed. A team that gives you the white-glove treatment, killing you softly with pretty passes and deft skating, then politely asking your forgiveness.
But there's another side to the Flyers' opponent in the Eastern Conference finals. That side shows a snarling Penguin, the side that trades in the white gloves for balled fists, the side willing to deliver bone-jarring hits.

Early yesterday, before the Flyers and Penguins faced off for Game 2 at Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh coach Michel Therrien said he expected both teams to bring more than what they showed in the Penguins' 4-2 win Friday night. The Flyers had shown in the first two rounds, against Washington and Montreal, that desperation fostered an edginess that fueled wins in Game 2 of both those series. Washington and Montreal could not match the Flyers' grit.

Last night, the Penguins let the Flyers know they are quite willing to get down and dirty.

The Penguins and Flyers took this game from the ice to the back alley shortly after the first puck was dropped. Looking to establish an early tenor to the proceedings, the Pens' Tyler Kennedy and the Flyers' Scottie Upshall engaged in the first fight of the series. Upshall proved he can take a punch. In this bout, in fact, he proved it several times.

"It was tough because they played with more desperation," the Pens' Georges Laraque said. "Tyler did a really good job in front of the home crowd. He got them going. That was real important."

Late in the second period, Malkin sent Danny Briere wobbling to the bench with an elbow to the chops, but Briere came out of the fog to play the third period. And for the first time this postseason, Flyers goalie Marty Biron was sideswiped by opponents.

So it seemed appropriate that Pittsburgh's decisive goal in the 4-2 victory that gave it a two-games-to-none lead was not scored by Malkin or Crosby or Hossa, but by one of the grunts - the earnest Maxime Talbot.

Talbot had missed the three previous playoff games with a broken right foot, the kind of injury that might put a baseball player on the disabled list or a football player on injured reserve. In the secretive environment of the NHL postseason, it is called a lower-body injury.

A center, Talbot is characterized as an "energy guy". He is known for his checking and ability to kill penalties. He excels at the game's grittier details.

In other words, Talbot is the kind of player who frequently does his job in relative obscurity. Not last night.

"It's a great way to come back," a smiling Talbot said after the Pens won their 15th straight at home, including seven in a row on home ice in the playoffs. "This morning, I was just happy to be back in the lineup. I was happy as a kid. Right now, to get a game-winning goal, it's extra special."

Talbot's mates on the checking line - Laraque and Gary Roberts - assisted on the goal that made it 3-2 with 11 minutes, 9 seconds remaining in the third period. Once the Pens got the lead, they smothered the Flyers, another sign of a team with grit.

"That's our role. We have to give our team a little momentum out there," Talbot said. "When we get out there, we try to change momentum. Georges got it behind the net and Gary got it to me and I was by myself."

As for the broken foot?

"I can't even feel it right now," he said. "You get in the game and you don't even think about it."

After a pause, Talbot added, "It feels great."

Lord Stiller
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah I know, think I expected they'd be done with it by tomorrow? :toofunny:

Well these aren't the 'last' moments of Mellon Arena

There will be plenty more moments to enjoy

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Well these aren't the 'last' moments of Mellon Arena

There will be plenty more moments to enjoy

Yeppers and I will cry like a baby when they implode that old barn. Lots of great memories in that place for me. :tt03:

LETS GO PENS!!!

Edman
05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, and the Penguins couldn't win in MSG against the Rags in the regular season either. Regular season stats mean nothing.

Let's go Pens. Stick it to Philly. A split at Wachovia would be great.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Just heard on the noon news that Scary Gary Roberts is doubtful for tonight due to an "undisclosed illness" and didn't participate in the team skate this morning. Guess that means we'll be seeing Adam Hall in his spot and that's cool - he's played admirably when called upon. :thumbsup: Get well soon Gary - we need you!

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
You gotta hand it to Ruutu - he really has showed remarkable restraint in taking shots from the Cryers, including Biron. Love that guy! :thumbsup:

I hope the refs aren't wearing their blinders again tonight. :banging:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_567141.html?source=rss&feed=8

Pens' Ruutu taking his lumps
By Kevin Gorman

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The exasperation was written all over Jarkko Ruutu's bruised face, which had been on the receiving end of yet another blow: First a punch by frustrated Philadelphia Flyers goalie Martin Biron, then a glove rake by defenseman Derian Hatcher.
Yet, somehow, Ruutu drew a diving penalty.

It was his second such trip to the penalty box. This time, early in the second period of Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Final Sunday night, the Penguins' left wing hesitated leaving the bench, clearly in disbelief that he was serving two minutes.

The infamous agitator is growing agitated that his specialty - getting under opponents' skin until they retaliate - is not only being dismissed as superfluous, but also drawing him minor penalties.

"I didn't dive. I didn't embellish anything," said Ruutu, who admitted trying to avoid direct blows to his face. "But there's nothing I can do. I think it's a pretty natural reaction when somebody's trying to punch you in the head. The first thing you do is turn your head, so you don't get it right in the middle of it.
"I wouldn't do anything different."

That Ruutu was penalized twice clearly annoyed Penguins coach Michel Therrien, who said he plans to speak to an NHL supervisor of officials before Game 3 tonight at 7:38 p.m. at Philadelphia's Wachovia Center. The Penguins lead the best-of-seven series, 2-0.

Therrien had reason to be rankled, as Ruutu's first penalty (for unsportsmanlike conduct) proved costly. He took a cross-check from Hatcher, then a shot from Flyers left wing Scott Hartnell near the benches at 18:17 of the second period.

Both Hatcher and Hartnell (roughing) drew minor penalties, which would have given the Penguins a five-on-three advantage - until Ruutu also was surprisingly sent to the box. He has 24 penalty minutes in the postseason, nothing compared to the Flyers' Scottie Upshall (38) and Hatcher (31), but still most on the Penguins.

"The refs know he's a guy who's into disturbing things. He gets under people's skin and plays a hard-nosed game, and because of that he might get an unfair call or two," Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "They don't want to give a guy a penalty for hitting him because they always think he's diving. He's really not.

"It's tough to get those calls. He's doing his job. He's getting in people's faces, they're getting frustrated, and they're punching him. They think he's diving and maybe showing up the refs. His head snapped back and he gets a penalty, so that was pretty surprising and unfortunate."

Instead of having a two-man advantage, the Penguins' power-play had a mental lapse. Evgeni Malkin attempted a cross-ice pass that was intercepted by Flyers center Mike Richards, whose short-handed goal tied it at 2-2. Therrien was even more irked by comments made by Flyers coach John Stevens, who said he'd "like to see some consistency" in the officiating, adding that the Flyers have "some stars on our team, too."

"I read some comment from John Stevens, about how he was disappointed about some calls. Well, at the same time, we're disappointed about some calls, as well," Therrien said. "Jarkko Ruutu gets punched in the face by Hartnell, and we should have been five-on-three. That could have been a turning point to the game, and we didn't get those calls."

Therrien contends there's no use complaining about the calls, especially during the playoffs, a theory with which Ruutu agrees. Ruutu didn't ask officials for an explanation, and said he has no plans to start questioning them now.

"That's the way it is. I'll have to try to deal with it. It's no secret that I have that target on my back," Ruutu said. "I'm not asking those guys. You're only asking for trouble if you start whining."

Therrien is pleased with how Ruutu has handled wearing the bull's-eye. If there's one thing Ruutu does well - and he's developed something of a cult following among Penguins fans for it - it's provide a disruptive presence during every third-line shift.

"Jarkko Ruutu, he's doing everything that I ask him to," Therrien said. "He's playing well defensively. He's checked well. He's finishing his checks. He's disciplined. He doesn't retaliate. ... He got punched twice and spent some time in the box, and it's not his fault. What are you going to do? You've got to move on and, hopefully, he can keep playing the same way and get a reward."

Rewarded or not, Ruutu has no intention of altering his style.

Even if it means taking a few more shots to a face that sports a black-and-blue mark and several stitches near his right eye, even if it means a few more arrows are aimed at the bull's-eye. The only thing he wants to change is his time spent in the penalty box.

"I think it's pretty obvious, if you look at the calls I get," Ruutu said. "Some of them are deserved; some of them are not, but I can live with that. I just have to be careful, depending on situations. If we're up, there's no reason to get anything going. It's frustrating when you get calls you don't deserve. But what can I do? I play hard, play my game. I'm not going to change."

Edman
05-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't want to hear any bullcrap about Pittsburgh getting all the calls. But I'm certain we'll hear it anyway from Cryers fans.

stlrtruck
05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Remember, there's no I in Team, but...

There's 3 U's in Ruutu

Lord Stiller
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Just heard on the noon news that Scary Gary Roberts is doubtful for tonight due to an "undisclosed illness" and didn't participate in the team skate this morning. Guess that means we'll be seeing Adam Hall in his spot and that's cool - he's played admirably when called upon. :thumbsup: Get well soon Gary - we need you!

Yes, i also thought that Adam Hall has played well. He is a gritty defensive type player who is good on the PK and also good on faceoffs

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes, i also thought that Adam Hall has played well. He is a gritty defensive type player who is good on the PK and also good on faceoffs

If the Pens have one weakness, it's in winning faceoffs. Sid has been our best faceoff man this season, but it is nice having Hall in there to take some of the pressure off Sid and win control of the puck.

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't want to hear any bullcrap about Pittsburgh getting all the calls. But I'm certain we'll hear it anyway from Cryers fans.

Of course - nobody loses nowadays, they just get screwed by the refs. :rolleyes:

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Pneumonia. Gary didn't mentioned this during the interview when he was on the morning show on the Fan 590 in Toronto today.

Gary Roberts is not expected to play tonight and may miss more than tonight's playoff game.

Sources tell TSN that Roberts has been diagnosed with pneumonia in the last day or so and has likely been playing with the condition for about two weeks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237644&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Pneumonia. Gary didn't mentioned this during the interview when he was on the morning show on the Fan 590 in Toronto today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237644&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Thanks for the heads-up, Petes. Gary is one tough bird and set up Max's game winner on Sunday night. Hope he recovers quickly and can play in the Stanley Cup finals! Wouldn't seem right without him :drink:

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
If anybody cares, here is the Gary Roberts interview I mentioned.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20080513_090120_7380

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
That was a great interview, Petes - thanks! :thumbsup: Scary Gary is da man! :drink:

Just saw on KDKA that the Flyers are handing out orange "Why Not Us" t-shirts to their fans in attendance tonight. :toofunny::toofunny:

Why not the Flyers? Because the Pens SAY SO, that's why. :flipoff:

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 06:36 PM
No problem HTG.

Crap, Roberts isn't the only player sick. HNIC is reporting a flu bug in the Pens dressing room. Orpik and Sykora both have it but will play through it.

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
here we go guys! I am watching and am pumped lets win this!

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
hellz yea nice goal on a powerplay by the pens! 1-0 pens

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
btw We are 8-0 when we have scored first in the playoffs!

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

2-0!!!
DANGG NICE GOAL!!!
HOSSA!!!!!! YEA BABY!

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
2-0 nothing. Nice, keep scoring to shut up those booing douchebags.

Edman
05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow, the Pens never started that fast at home! 2-0 Already!

Keep pounding guys! It's not over yet! Kill Philly!

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 07:04 PM
philly scored...

2-1 pens

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
the refs are calling alot of hooking so far.. and most against the pens..lol

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 07:25 PM
good first period lets keep scoring and play more D, i never knew fluery was that flexible!

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
now they need to come out in the second and start putting the nail in the coffin

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Nice first period by the Pens, except for the penalties.

I had to chuckle at one of the signs - "Penguins Don't Fly - They Dive". :toofunny::toofunny: Coming from the fans of one of the biggest divers in NHL history - Bobby Clarke. :toofunny:

C'mon Pens - let's pour it on in the 2nd.

P.S. The Flyers suck.

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
can you believe no one started a flyers suck thread?? lol..

good hitting in the game so far.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Pens controlling the biscuit in the 2nd period thus far. C'mon boys - let's put a couple behind Biron. :tt03:

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Pens on PP - c'mon guys let's get a goal here! :tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 07:52 PM
richards almost another shorthanded goal.

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
richards almost another shorthanded goal.

Negated by a great defensive play by Gonchar. Replays showed stick on puck, and not a trip that Richards was whining for.

BettisFan
lets score come on i am getting ansy!

X-Terminator
Nice first period by the Pens, except for the penalties.

I had to chuckle at one of the signs - "Penguins Don't Fly - They Dive". :toofunny::toofunny: Coming from the fans of one of the biggest divers in NHL history - Bobby Clarke. :toofunny:

C'mon Pens - let's pour it on in the 2nd.

P.S. The Flyers suck.

Don't forget about Ken "The Rat" Linseman played for them as well. A diver AND a cheap shot artist. On top of that, they have one of the noted divers in the league playing for them right now in "Divin'" Danny Briere.

Anyway, I don't want to hear any more whining from the Flyers or their fans about the calls - they had FOUR PP chances in the first period to the Pens' ONE.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 07:56 PM
What a great play by Gonchar to stop Richards! :thumbsup:

I hate these 1 goal games. LOL!

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Don't forget about Ken "The Rat" Linseman played for them as well. A diver AND a cheap shot artist. On top of that, they have one of the noted divers in the league playing for them right now in "Divin'" Danny Briere.

Anyway, I don't want to hear any more whining from the Flyers or their fans about the calls - they had FOUR PP chances in the first period to the Pens' ONE.

I remember that douchebag very well. Convenient memory for Cryers fans.

Cryers fans don't know how to do anything else but whine, as in this series thus far, they haven't had much to cheer about. :toofunny:

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
i hope the pens dont get too over confident. they will be in for a tough road facing the red wings.

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 08:16 PM
i hope the pens dont get too over confident. they will be in for a tough road facing the red wings.

Same goes for Detroit.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 08:17 PM

The Red Wings haven't won the series yet, though they most likely will.

I'm not worried about the Wings . Sure they are a very experienced playoff team, but the Pens are a mixture of youth and exuberance and vet experience which is a potent mix imho. Don't count the Pens out - I think they'll give the Wings a run for their money.

Mistah_Q
05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Gotta win this series first. . . lets go!

X-Terminator
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Gotta win this series first. . . lets go!

Exactly. I don't want to get caught looking ahead when the Pens still need to take care of business against a pretty good Flyers team.

The 3rd period should be a barnburner - the Flyers will play desperate in order to get that tying goal.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Shame I can't be home to watch the game.

I was actually enjoying the series.

Mistah_Q
05-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Exactly. I don't want to get caught looking ahead when the Pens still need to take care of business against a pretty good Flyers team.

The 3rd period should be a barnburner - the Flyers will play desperate in order to get that tying goal.I haven't watched much of the playoffs. . . I think I'm cursed or something. Every time I turn it on, as soon as I turn it on the Rangers, and now the Flyers, get a big turnover, score a goal, a big penalty. . . so I just wait and catch highlights after the fact

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Shame I can't be home to watch the game.

I was actually enjoying the series.

why cant u watch? Thats weak, its alright its slow now though

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
score 3-1

Edman
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Downey with the cheap shot afterwards.

That's why Philly will not win this game or this series.

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Downie doesn't get a penalty for that cheap shot? Give me a break. This is the second one that little retard has gotten away with in this series.

HometownGal
Those cheap shot bastards. I hope Sykora is OK.

3-1 - still a lot of time left, but if the Pens keep playing their game, we should come out on top.

LETS GO PENS!

fansince'76
Downie doesn't get a penalty for that cheap shot? Give me a break. This is the second one that little retard has gotten away with in this series.

But the Penguins are getting all the calls. :crying01: :rolleyes:

TackleMeBen
05-13-2008, 08:50 PM
But the Penguins are getting all the calls. :crying01: :rolleyes:
just all those rags fans...:chuckle:

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
1:30 and we have the lead 3-1

Edman
05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
EMPTY NETTER GOAL! 4-1 Penguins!

The Duke
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
hossa's really paying off in the playoffs

just one more game!

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
WOO HOOOOO!!!! Way to go Pens! :tt03::thumbsup:

Did you ever see a team get its pockets picked like the Cryers? :toofunny::toofunny:

Be afraid Red Wings. Be VERY AFRAID. :tt03::tt03:

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Cryer fans have NO excuses to night. The Penguins came in and beat your Broad Street Broads at home in a convincing fashion.

BettisFan
05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
and we win! 3-0!!

SteelCityMan786
05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
3-0 LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PisnNapalm
05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Excellent game.... I was worried in the beginning with all the penalties, but the players and the refs settled down.

One thing bothers me a tad. Fleury likes to get out and behind the goal just a bit too much for my liking. It nearly cost us a goal tonight.

Edman
05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Cryer fans have NO excuses to night. The Penguins came in and beat your Broad Street Broads at home in a convincing fashion.

They don't have any excuses, but I'm sure they'll come up with some. Like injuries.

Disciplined Talent wins over Goon Play anyday. When will Cryer fans learn that it isn't the 70's anymore?

SteelCityMan786
05-13-2008, 09:15 PM

I wonder what happend to those dirties???? :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
HEY BRIERE I PRESENT YOU WITH MY THIRD...........................:fingers:OF THE SERIES!

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
One thing bothers me a tad. Fleury likes to get out and behind the goal just a bit too much for my liking. It nearly cost us a goal tonight.

He's trying to play the puck a bit more than he should, but he really has been much better this season at doing so than he was last year. Though Umberger's goal tonight was on a rebound, that is another area where Fleury has greatly improved. Gilles Meloche has done an outstanding job with him. :thumbsup: Though the Cryers only had 18 SOG, I think Fleury once again played admirably.

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
They don't have any excuses, but I'm sure they'll come up with some. Like injuries.

Disciplined Talent wins over Goon Play anyday. When will Cryer fans learn that it isn't the 70's anymore?

I am sure we will hear that the Flyers are missing Coburn, Timonen, 30 Norris Trophy winners, Batman, Superman, The Hulk, Hulk Hogan and Mike Tyson from their line-up.

They are too stupid to realize that Injuries are apart of the game and expect during the playoff run. Ask any Sabres fan a couple of years ago when they lost 4 D man at this point of the playoff run.

HometownGal
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
:toofunny::crying01::crying01::toofunny:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=516001&page=26

This one is a real brainchild (and a bitter pill at that):

They call phantom penalties to give the pens the lead and then let them mug the opponents whent hey try to come back and dont call anything else all game. Ive noticed it in a lot of games.

I dont care any more, Betmann and the refs have sucked any joy I get from games right out of me.

The Flyers were never going to be allowed to win this series.

They could overcome the refs in the Habs series but not here.

The sad thing is, if you reverse the calls, the Flyers are probably up 3-0 right now.

:toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl: Guess this douchebag missed the vicious crosscheck on Sykora right after the 3rd goal.

fansince'76
05-13-2008, 10:06 PM
:toofunny::crying01::crying01::toofunny:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=516001&page=26

This one is a real brainchild (and a bitter pill at that):

They call phantom penalties to give the pens the lead and then let them mug the opponents whent hey try to come back and dont call anything else all game. Ive noticed it in a lot of games.

I dont care any more, Betmann and the refs have sucked any joy I get from games right out of me.

The sad thing is, if you reverse the calls, the Flyers are probably up 3-0 right now.

:toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl: Guess this douchebag missed the vicious crosscheck on Sykora right after the 3rd goal.

http://www.mondaymorninginsight.com/images/uploads/Kleenex.jpg

SteelCityMan786
05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
BREAKING NEWS:Flyers fans were picked up at 777 Sarcastic Street then at 800 animosity avenue then to monstrosity boulevard then to 222 I hate you avenue on the

http://www.bitter-bus.at/image/bus_01_gross.jpg

BITTER BUS

Dodt
05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Hf14ywF_A

Petesburgh66
05-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Quote:I dont care any more, Betmann and the refs have sucked any joy I get from games right out of me.

Man, he needs to get some help.

X-Terminator
05-13-2008, 11:51 PM
There aren't enough words in any language in the world to describe how utterly sick and tired I am of fans bitching about the refs every single time the Pens win a game. I've had my fill of it. The Flyers fans have absolutely ZERO excuses for why they lost. The Flyers couldn't generate any offense all night long because they couldn't even get through the neutral zone most times. They had just 8 shots through 2 periods and just 18 for the game. They got no shots on goal in their 4 PP chances. The Pens simply shut them down, plain and simple. No excuses, Flyer fans. You...just...got...beat.

Preacher
05-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Here is what gets me...

WHY ARE REFS CALLING PENALTIES IN THE PLAYOFFS???

I miss the days when it had to be an absolute mugging in order for it to be a two minute penalty, and the guy had to be on the way to the hospital for it to be a double minor.

Ok... sarcasm aside.

I really think in general (I didn't see the game tonight... this is a general statement that I have been making since Bettman came to the NFL)....

that unless a scoring opportunity is taken away... or is granted by a penalty... or a DELIBERATE ACT to hurt someone is made... no penalty should be called...

How I yearn for old style gordy howe hockey....

Of course... Philly fans would then be complaining that not enough penalties were called for them!

HometownGal
05-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Wow. It appears the Flyers coach may be throwing in the towel. Poor Cryers. My heart just bleeds for them. NOT! :toofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08135/881613-61.stm

Flyers running out of gas

Wednesday, May 14, 2008
By Sam Donnellon, Philadelphia Daily News

PHILADELPHIA -- The heart still beats.

The legs might be dead.

The Flyers skated off their own ice bent over and beat last night, conquered again by a Pittsburgh team that is now 11-1 in this postseason, a team that has made a parody of the parity the Eastern Conference standings seemed to suggest.

The margin between the second-seeded Penguins and sixth-seeded Flyers was seven points at the end of the regular season. The Flyers beat the Penguins five of eight times in the regular season.

It means nothing now. Not without Kimmo Timonen in the lineup, not without Braydon Coburn or with rookie Ryan Parent playing more than 18 minutes on defense, not with Steve Downie playing anything resembling a key role.

The Penguins have been the best team in these Eastern Conference playoffs by a large margin, able to get a big goal any time they have needed one, able to poison you with your own adrenaline and desperation. They are hotter and they are healthier, or at least they were until Downie pummeled Petr Sykora with a cheap shot well after Sykora assisted on the third goal in the Penguins' 4-1 victory last night -- a punctuation mark of their fate if ever there were one.

Downie's turnover led to that goal, the second time this series his presence has underlined how quickly a team's postseason confidence can evaporate into desperation. The rookie's insertion into the lineup was supposed to give the Flyers jump, not make them more jumpy. The last thing this team's depleted defense needs is the most skilled team in hockey coming at them in numbers.

But that's the description of this series, and the return of Coburn tomorrow will not alter that. That last night's game was even close entering the third period was a testament to the still beating heart of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter and Randy Jones and Mike Knuble.

Of the Flyers' 18 shots, Knuble and Carter split 10. Richards had 26 shifts, playing as if he were Alex Ovechkin, which in this series, maybe he is.

"I really liked the way Vinny [Prospal] and Danny , and Hartsy [Scott Hartnell] played tonight," Flyers coach John Stevens said, but Scott Hartnell was the only one of them who had a shot on goal. It's a reflection of the Penguins' depth as much as it is of any lack of desperation on their part. Even with the last change, the Flyers just aren't getting much room to operate this series.

They're also not getting sprung much by a depleted defense that is doing all it can to keep the Penguins' barrage of talent from setting tees in front of their net.

"Our puck-support execution is just, it's not where it needs to be," said Stevens. "And I think you have to give them some credit for it. They're checking us into turnovers. We're not executing with the pressure that we're receiving, and they're feasting on the turnovers."

At times in the second period it was like "The Matrix," Agent Smith coming in multiples of two, three, four, bouncing back into play over and over again. You went here, they were there. And when the puck did find your stick, something irregular always happened. Mike Knuble slid a puck through the goal crease behind Marc-Andre Fleury. Fleury fell awkwardly into his net and the jittery Flyers pushed the puck into his pads.

As well as Martin Biron played, that 2-1 score after two periods was attributable to the sweet tooth the Penguins' talented group of skaters displayed, trying too hard to feather that slam-dunk goal rather than firing it at the net, particularly in the second period.

Needing their best period of the series, the Flyers instead were outshot, 9-3.

[B]"I mean, they're on a roll," said Stevens. "Can you just see it?"

Well, yeah. And the Flyers are out of ways to halt it.

TackleMeBen
05-14-2008, 07:54 AM
philly just looks like they werent into the game last night. i thought maybe when they tied the game at 1 they would get the lift they need, but the pens defense was too tough.

HometownGal
05-14-2008, 08:02 AM
It is nice to see the Filthadelphia media gives Sid his rightful dues:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20080514_Even_without_a_goal__Crosby_a_leader_for_ Penguins.html

Even without a goal, Crosby a leader for Penguins

By ED BARKOWITZ
Philadelphia Daily News

The walk from the Penguins' dressing room to the postgame podium was a long one for Sidney Crosby.

The floor was wet with water drained from the Zamboni and Crosby was wearing rubber sandals. But the unsure footing was the least of his problems.

First, Penguins owner Mario Lemieux offered his congratulations. Then another Pens executive held out his hand. There were a few fringe fans and other well-wishers. As he got within range of the interview room, Crosby was stopped by coach Michel Therrien, who had just finished talking to reporters.

"Great game, kid," he whispered simply. "Great game."

Crosby registered a pair of assists, but, just as important, was a defensive force as the Penguins took a 3-0 series lead with an efficient 4-1 win over the sagging Flyers.

"We all depend on each other," Crosby said. "Everyone has their responsibility, and we don't want to let the next guy down. That's the only way you're going to win."

Before his long walk to the postgame interview room, Crosby sat alone at his locker looking at the floor. Maybe he was contemplating the Penguins' position. Pittsburgh, an astounding 11-1 in the playoffs, is one game from the Stanley Cup finals.

"We don't want to think about that," Ryan Malone said. "We have to get ready for Game 4."

Pittsburgh might have used offense to win the Atlantic Division championship, but its defense is carrying it through this playoff run. Last night, the Penguins limited the Flyers to eight shots over the first two periods and 18 overall.

Ryan Whitney was credited with his first playoff goal when a pass deflected off Flyers defenseman Jason Smith at 5 minutes, 3 seconds into the first period. When Marian Hossa scored a highlight goal 2:38 later, the clamps came out. It looked like a New Jersey Devils game.

"They are a patient team," Flyers center Mike Richards said. "They sit back and their defense pulls out. They [force a lot of turnovers] when we try to do too much with the puck, and then their forwards counter the other way."

Crosby had only one shot on goal, but led a contingent of forwards who clogged up the neutral zone and continually forced the Flyers wide. Danny Briere and Vinny Prospal were held without a shot.

"[In a big game like this], you're looking for your great leader to show the way, to dictate the way to the rest of the team," Therrien said of Crosby, who was a plus-2 and is even or better in 11 of 12 playoff games. "There is no doubt Sid tonight, I thought, was fantastic, and he stuck to the plan, too, as well. You can't ask more for a leader like Crosby's doing right now for this hockey team."

Pens notes

Veteran forward Gary Roberts was scratched because of an illness. Roberts, who assisted on the game-winning goal in Game 2, was replaced by Adam Hall. Roberts missed five playoff games with a groin injury . . . The Penguins have trailed only 1 minute, 21 seconds in this series. They have trailed less than 10 percent of their entire playoff run . . . Petr Sykora, playing in his 100th career playoff game, absorbed a late hit from Steve Downie to set up the Pens' third goal. *