PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

memphissteelergirl
05-14-2008, 08:53 AM
AAAUUGH! :banging: I hate not being able to see these games on television! I feel I'm missing all the fun!!

rbryan
05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Maybe with the emergence of an exciting team like the Pens the NHL can make a deal with a network somebody's heard of now. I was out for dinner and drinks last night at a sushi bar and of course they didn't have versus, but when I stepped next door to a sports bar to check the score they didn't have it on either. They had womens softball, bowling, billiards etc...Bartender acted like he never heard of versus or hockey for that matter. I don't know how the NHL expects to promote the game if no one can watch.

As much as I despise ESPN I'd even take them at this point.

Edman
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
You could tell by the first period last night that the Flyers just weren't in the game. The Pens jumped on them early and Philly never recovered. This is surprising, because I expected a better effort from a desperate team at home facing their division rivals in the conference finals.

It's that or the other reason Pens detractors don't want to admit: This Young, "Finesse", Penguins team is that damn good. They're drawing numerous comparisons to the '83 Oilers.

Oh well, I expect to hear that this Pens team will be mopped up by World-beater Detroit in the Finals. And that's fine by me.

Counselor
05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Maybe with the emergence of an exciting team like the Pens the NHL can make a deal with a network somebody's heard of now. I was out for dinner and drinks last night at a sushi bar and of course they didn't have versus, but when I stepped next door to a sports bar to check the score they didn't have it on either. They had womens softball, bowling, billiards etc...Bartender acted like he never heard of versus or hockey for that matter. I don't know how the NHL expects to promote the game if no one can watch.

As much as I despise ESPN I'd even take them at this point.

They need to do something, because the lack of traditional television coverage is a major reason why hockey is not on the national radar. Television is what made football popular, maybe HD will usher in the age of hockey, but only if the games are actually on TV.

BettisFan
05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
The last time Stanley Cup finalists swept their opponents to qualify for the finals was in 1992 when Pittsburgh swept Boston in the Eastern Conference and the Chicago Blackhawks swept the Edmonton Oilers. The Pens went on to win the Cup in a sweep. … Looks good to me..!

X-Terminator
05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
You could tell by the first period last night that the Flyers just weren't in the game. The Pens jumped on them early and Philly never recovered. This is surprising, because I expected a better effort from a desperate team at home facing their division rivals in the conference finals.

It's that or the other reason Pens detractors don't want to admit: This Young, "Finesse", Penguins team is that damn good. They're drawing numerous comparisons to the '83 Oilers.

Oh well, I expect to hear that this Pens team will be mopped up by World-beater Detroit in the Finals. And that's fine by me.

Let's just hope that things end a little differently for the Penguins than it did for the '83 Oilers, as they were swept by the Islanders in the Finals after winning 11 of their first 12 games. They did get revenge by ending their dynasty the following season and began one of their own.

I'm one of those people who don't think the Pens can beat Detroit - they are just too strong, IMO. But they would definitely give them all they could handle. I don't want to get ahead of myself, though - there's still a Game 4 to play against the Flyers tomorrow night. Let's take care of that first, then worry about the Wings.

HometownGal
05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Let's just hope that things end a little differently for the Penguins than it did for the '83 Oilers, as they were swept by the Islanders in the Finals after winning 11 of their first 12 games.

Two different eras, two different teams. :banging:

I'm one of those people who don't think the Pens can beat Detroit - they are just too strong, IMO. But they would definitely give them all they could handle. I don't want to get ahead of myself, though - there's still a Game 4 to play against the Flyers tomorrow night. Let's take care of that first, then worry about the Wings.

You were also one of those people who thought the season was over when Sid went down and didn't believe the Pens could get into the playoffs without him. I'll have that crowburger waiting for you and this time, it'll be a triple decker. :wink02::laughing:

Remember what I told you this morning at the gym? Young legs, 4 lines VERY capable of scoring at any given time and exuberance vs. age, more experience in the playoffs and ONE high scoring line. I like the young Pens' chances.

I found this nice read on Ty Conklin and thought it was well worth sharing! Without Conks, the Pens may not have made the playoffs. Thank you Ty Conklin! :drink::tt03:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=363359&page=NewsPage&service=page

Pittsburgh Penguins backup netminder Ty Conklin helped save season Canadian Press May 13, 2008, 3:59 PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA - Much has been said and written about Evgeni Malkin's superb play when Sidney Crosby went down with injury this season.

But it also should not be forgotten that the Pittsburgh Penguins, nearing a Stanley Cup final berth, may not even be here had it not been for how Ty Conklin stepped in for the injured Marc-Andre Fleury this season.

"Him and Gino, it was probably a coin flip to see who is our MVP this year," defenceman Brooks Orpik said after Tuesday's pre-game skate. "Without one of those two guys, we probably would have not made the playoffs. They were instrumental."

Given Fleury's standout play since coming back from his high ankle injury in late February, it seems somewhat absurd now to even think that some people were questioning whether the Penguins shouldn't simply stick with Conklin as their No. 1 man. Head coach Michel Therrien did not simply hand the job back to Fleury, however.

"There was a battle for the net between Fleury and Conklin and I believe Marc-Andre won that battle," said Therrien. "But Conklin did so much for the team, he deserves respect for that."

The 32-year-old Conklin doesn't begrudge the decision.

"Flower's been as good as anybody in the league in these playoffs, if you ask me," Conklin said. "He's made every big save he's had to make. Since he came back from his injury, off hand I can't think of a goalie in the NHL that's been better than him. ...

"Certainly, everybody wants to play at this time of year. But the way Marc is playing, it's tough to rationalize anyone else playing. It's been fun to watch him."

Fleury and Conklin have forged a strong relationship, the two sharing conversations between periods and before games. They're good friends with No. 3 Dany Sabourin as well.

"Flower is an easy-going kid," said Conklin. "All three of us get along. It makes for a comfortable work environment."

The 23-year-old Fleury, who has looked every bit the franchise goalie Pittsburgh thought it was drafting first overall in 2003, may have benefited from being pushed for the first time in his young NHL career by another goalie threatening to take the No. 1 job.

"Ty did a tremendous job," said Fleury. "He came in and right away was great in net. It's a big part we stayed on top in the standings because of the way he played. As for me, it was good to be able to watch him. I think I learned some tips from him."

When Fleury went down in early December, later to be joined on the sidelines in January by Crosby, some people wondered whether the Penguins could avoid a slide out of a playoff spot. That's when Malkin played like a man possessed and Conklin rediscovered a form that had once made him the No. 1 goalie in Edmonton.

"What an incredible run by Ty," said Penguins GM Ray Shero.

"He was unbelievable for us," said forward Jarkko Ruutu. "Guys in here never forget that. Maybe the outside media, people don't realize it as much, but he's a big part of this team."

Conklin ended up with the second-best save percentage in the NHL at .923. He went 18-8-5 this season, including winning nine in a row from Dec. 20 to Jan. 10.

"He's one of the reasons why we're here today," said Therrien. "I believe home ice is important. We were fighting for that and we were fighting to stay in the playoffs. When we lost Fleury, we could have been in trouble. A guy like Conklin steps in and plays his best hockey of his career. He's got numbers to get recognized as one of the best goalies in the league.

"He surprised me, he surprised his teammates, we rode him and he did a fantastic job."

As Shero watched Conklin stop pucks in the pre-game skate at Wachovia Center on Tuesday morning, he marvelled looking back at what transpired.

"It's a heck of a story which right now kind of flies under the radar but looking back, where are we without him?" said Shero, who also pointed out Sabourin's 10 wins. "It's been a great story for Ty to get his career back on track."

Conklin is slated for unrestricted free agency July 1 and given his bounceback year there might be a team or two interested in his services. But he likes the team he's with right now.

"My goal is to make an impression here and play well here and make this organization want me," said Conklin. "I enjoy playing here. This is as fun of a locker-room you can be in. It's a talented locker-room. It's a joy going to work every day. But all that stuff will get sorted out at the end of the year."

SteelCityMan786
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Right now you do have to credit Conklin for saving the Pens behind this year. The team if not for him would be watching the playoffs instead of playing in the playoffs.

Lord Stiller
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
I will be at tonight's game!

I hope those worthless Philly fans dont start crap w me

stlrtruck
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Let them start and then when the Penguins bring out the brooms, just give them a big fat smile and nod (ala Big Ben)

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Alright guys after tonight we will be Eastern Conference Champs!!!! So just a question i move back to the burgh June 1st, anyone know when the finals start? Like a date? and when the games would be? I am just hoping i will be in town for the games to go crazy in the streets when we win it all! Thanks

Counselor
05-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Alright guys after tonight we will be Eastern Conference Champs!!!! So just a question i move back to the burgh June 1st, anyone know when the finals start? Like a date? and when the games would be? I am just hoping i will be in town for the games to go crazy in the streets when we win it all! Thanks

At this point, the earliest the conference finals will start is Thursday May 22nd. If either series goes to 6 games it wil start on Saturday May 24th, and if either series goes to 7 games the finals start on Monday, Memorial Day the 26th. The most likely senario is starting the 22nd, which puts you in towns for games 6 & 7 if they are necessary.

GO PENS!!!!:cheers:

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
At this point, the earliest the conference finals will start is Thursday May 22nd. If either series goes to 6 games it wil start on Saturday May 24th, and if either series goes to 7 games the finals start on Monday, Memorial Day the 26th. The most likely senario is starting the 22nd, which puts you in towns for games 6 & 7 if they are necessary.

GO PENS!!!!:cheers:

Thanks man really appreciate it, in a way i hope it goes to 6 or 7 but i hope it doesnt.

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Under 4 hours til' game time!

LETS GO PENS!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Have a great time at the game Lord Stiller and bring us back the Wales trophy! :drink::tt03:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/Hhof_prince_of_wales.jpg/292px-Hhof_prince_of_wales.jpg

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Game is just about to start. I love it - there are Pens fans with mini-brooms at the game. :toofunny::toofunny:

LETS GO PENS!!! :tt03:

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
I think these two boobs on Versus must be sniffing glue. The short four-eyed guy just said that neither goaltender has played particularly well and that "one of them is going to have to before this series is over". :banging::banging: I think Fleury has played remarkably well - he's only given up 5 goals in 3 games (with a LOT of help from his D in keeping the Flyers from crashing the net). Dumb asses.

TackleMeBen
05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I think these two boobs on Versus must be sniffing glue. The short four-eyed guy just said that neither goaltender has played particularly well and that "one of them is going to have to before this series is over". :banging::banging: I think Fleury has played remarkably well - he's only given up 5 goals in 3 games (with a LOT of help from his D in keeping the Flyers from crashing the net). Dumb asses.
i was thinking the same thing... they arent very smart

TackleMeBen
05-15-2008, 06:51 PM
richards is dangerous.

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 06:53 PM
well that sucked 1-0 philly

TackleMeBen
05-15-2008, 06:59 PM
yes bettisfan it did suck. and they bierre just scored 2-0 philly

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
yep saw that this is weak whats up guys come on play like u always do

TackleMeBen
05-15-2008, 07:04 PM
yes. is it me or does the pens dont look right tonight?

TackleMeBen
05-15-2008, 07:05 PM
another pp for philly...

TackleMeBen
05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
that was uncalled for by richards on gonchar

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 07:23 PM
dam
its 3-0!!! WTF is going on!!

X-Terminator
05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
The Pens didn't match the Flyers' intensity in the first period and as such they're behind. Took too many penalties which didn't allow them to roll over their lines and get their system going. Allowing 2 PPG didn't help either. There's still a lot of hockey left and they have made up a 3-goal deficit before, so let's hope they can get the ship righted. And if they don't, and they end up losing, so what? We wanted a split in Philly anyway. We'll just clinch the series at home on Sunday.

The Duke
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
wow I expected a tie or a 1-0 score by now. but first thing I see is 3-0!

that sucks. but there's still 2 periods left, they can do it :tt:

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
we better start playing better

X-Terminator
05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Well that might be it, folks. The Pens really needed to score on that late PP in order to have a chance, but it looks like there's going to be a Game 5. Damn...I really wanted to sweep those bastards, but it really is tough to do that, especially on the road. One more period to go though - let's see what happens.

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like we're going to get that split and that's OK. Personally, it will be much more enjoyable watching Sid hoist that Wales trophy over his head on home ice than in Philly! :tt03::thumbsup:

The Cryers are playing like the Pens did on Tuesday night - taking the middle away from them.

We are seeing a very desperate and intense Cryers team, but Therrien and Yeo will have the Cryers' new game plan all figured out by Game #5.

Let's get out of this game healthy, get 2 days rest and kick some Cryers ass on Sunday! :tt03:

LETS GO PENS!

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
weak game really weak.... disapointing

Oh but maybe some hope pens score its 3-1 with 16 minutes left! Its possible!

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Flyers hanging on to a 3-2 lead. Jordan Staal with 2 goals tonight - still plenty of time left. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Well it's 3-2 with just over 5 minutes to go. Can they do it? Can they tie it up in regulation? I'll tell you one thing though - the Pens have owned the last 25 minutes of this game.

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 08:59 PM
and again its 3-2 5 minutes

PisnNapalm
05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
We've got to get the first goal on them. If they can get a spark like tonight then this could be a ridiculous series.

We've got to score first and put them on their heels.

HometownGal
05-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not worried about this game at all. Flyers were playing desperation hockey and it almost looked like they copied the Pens defensive schemes through the first 1-3/4 periods. XT is spot on - the Pens owned the game towards the end of the 2nd and all of the 3rd. Therrien and Yeo will be brainstorming the next 2 days and will have this team ready to kick some Cryers ass in Game #5. :tt03:

It's going to be great winning the Conference at home in front of our fans! :drink:

SteelCityMan786
05-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Lets forget this game and get ready for game 5. :cheers:

X-Terminator
05-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm not worried about this game at all. Flyers were playing desperation hockey and it almost looked like they copied the Pens defensive schemes through the first 1-3/4 periods. XT is spot on - the Pens owned the game towards the end of the 2nd and all of the 3rd. Therrien and Yeo will be brainstorming the next 2 days and will have this team ready to kick some Cryers ass in Game #5. :tt03:

It's going to be great winning the Conference at home in front of our fans! :drink:

Exactly right. The Flyers will never admit it, but they were outplayed for the final 25-30 minutes of the game. If the Pens could have scored during that late PP in the 2nd period, they would have been in great position to possibly tie the game considering that they have owned the 3rd period all during the playoffs. And if they don't get themselves into penalty trouble in the 1st period and give up 2 PP goals, they would have been in good shape to win, because that ultimately was the difference in the game. I'm sure the Pens will carry that momentum into Game 5 on Sunday and they'll come away with the win and the Prince of Wales Trophy! :drink:

Until then, though, I'm on a self-imposed media boycott of anything having to do with the series. No articles, no TV interviews, nothing until Sunday. I don't want to hear or read 2 days of "1975", thank you very much.

BettisFan
05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
We could expect them to go perfect, Go Pens! We will win next game!

HometownGal
05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
We're gonna get 'em on Sunday afternoon! LETS GO PENS! :tt03::thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08137/882430-61.stm

Sloppy first period a killer
Nightmarish first period Penguins' demise

Friday, May 16, 2008
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHILADELPHIA -- For Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final, the Penguins dusted off a dubious gambit from long ago and far away, from back before they weren't dominating these Stanley Cup playoffs, from back before they became the Lords of Discipline: The stupid penalty.

And don't forget the stupid penalty's troubled offspring: The additional, even stupider penalty.

Kris Letang got called for clipping last night.

Yes, clipping.

Funny, I thought I saw encroachment on that play. And I definitely saw lining up in the neutral zone. It was obvious.

But Letang wasn't in the box for clipping when Danny Briere gave the Flyers a 2-0 lead in the first period. Sergei Gonchar was off for holding when that happened. Brooks Orpik, standing in a post-whistle scrum behind the Penguins' net seven minutes later, misbehaved for no apparent purpose until he, too, was incarcerated, setting the stage for Jeff Carter's backhanded flip over Marc-Andre Fleury, the one that made it 3-0.

"We didn't deserve to win," Jarkko Ruutu said in the minutes after Philadelphia held with whitened knuckles to a 4-2 victory, not to mention playoff survival. "We just have to correct some things. We gave them those power play chances in the first. We gave them two short-handed breakaways.

"So yeah, we have a lot to correct."

At the end of that brief burst of first-period imprudence, the Penguins had surrendered, in 18 minutes, 50 seconds, fully 60 percent of the goals they'd allowed the Ottawa Senators in four games or the Flyers in three prior to last night.

On a night when Philadelphia only stopped banging Penguin bodies off the end boards long enough to capitalize on the wondrous opportunities the Penguins repeatedly afforded them, the outcome seemed fairly inevitable.

That Fleury somehow turned away eight superior scoring opportunities in the second period, keeping the deficit at three goals, seemed significant only in the shadow of historical arithmetic. The Flyers had been outscored, 18-11, in the third periods of these playoffs, and the Penguins had been absolutely slaying people after the second, outscoring their postseason opponents, 18-6, in the final 20 minutes and overtime.

When this same thing happened in New York two weeks ago, the Rangers were hopeful they'd planted a "seed of doubt," in the minds of the young Penguins, who dispatched them at the very next opportunity. The Flyers were rather noncommittal on the whole seed-planting aspect, but had there been any kind of seed presented in the Wachovia Center late last night, the Penguins would probably have just slashed it or roughed it or tripped it or clipped it.

"I don't think one loss is going to damage our confidence," said Orpik. "In the second and third period, they didn't get much. The first was the first really bad period we've had in a while."

The overriding theme as this series gets prepped to revisit our fair city on Sunday afternoon is pretty much that the overriding theme hasn't been altered much at all.

The Flyers will be just as desperate and out-manned at 3 o'clock Sunday as they were at 7:30 last night, and the Penguins will be just as confident that all that separates them from their first Stanley Cup Finals in 16 years is an immediate reboot to smart and fast defensive hockey.

They can't allow Mike Richards a short-handed breakaway, or any of the other 66 splendid scoring opportunities he misfired in Game 3, because he's not likely to miss again until 2013 after last night. They can't allow Carter and Briere to lurk near the goal mouth anymore, unless they're OK with spending the first part of next week back in the City of Unbrotherly Shoves.

You'd have to guess that that's not likely to be necessary, due in large part to the way the Penguins played last night's third period, swooping at the Philadelphia net, ringing thirtysomething shots against Martin Biron. The Flyers might have dominated two periods of this series, but they merely endured the third.

"We took over that game at the end," defenseman Hal Gill said of a third-period rally that chopped Philly's lead to one-goal before an empty-netter provided the complete statistical package. "We got off to a bad start, but we could have dictated that game. We were a little sloppy in the beginning and we let it slip away. When you give anybody that kind of lead, it's tough to get it back."

HometownGal
05-16-2008, 06:59 AM
According to this report, both Timonen and Coburn may be back for Game #5 at Mellon Arena. No problemo - most likely, neither one will be up to snuff and I don't see them making a difference other than giving the Flyers a little boost.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HKN_FLYERS_COBURN_OUT?SITE=PAGRE&SECTION=HOCKEY&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Flyers defensemen Timonen and Coburn close to return

By IRA PODELL
AP Hockey Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Not only did the Philadelphia Flyers stay alive Thursday night, they got good news on the status of injured defensemen Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn.

Philadelphia's top defense pair could be reunited as early as Sunday for Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals in Pittsburgh.

Coburn seemed close to returning Thursday night for the Flyers' 4-2 home win, but needed more time to heal from facial injuries that caused his left eye to swell shut. The bigger surprise would be Timonen, who was expected to miss at least this series and likely the rest of the season.

Timonen went on the injured list on the eve of this series after tests revealed a blood clot on his left ankle, resulting from a blocked shot in the previous round against Montreal. He will skate on Friday, and if all goes well, will be back in the lineup when the Flyers try to extend their season again.

"We took another ultrasound, and based on that the doctor said I have a green light to give it a try," Timonen said after Thursday's win. "The doctor feels that there is no chance the clot is going to get loose or break up or anything like that. It's a great sign.

"A week ago they were afraid it was going to get bigger and cut loose. I've been on blood thinners now for eight days and we'll see how it goes."

Coburn was struck in the face by a puck in the opening minutes of Game 2 last Sunday and has missed two games. He didn't break any bones, but severe swelling forced his left eye to close. He was able to practice Wednesday and hoped to play in Game 4.

Now the target date is Sunday.

"Is there a chance? I think there is, either or both," coach John Stevens said. "The first thing is you have to make sure of the health of the player here, and we're not going to put anybody at risk. If they're not able to go, we'll keep marching ahead like we are. But if we're able to get one or both back, it would be a huge lift for our team."

stlrtruck
05-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Last night we were simply outplayed - similar to game 4 against the rangers. Now it's time to regroup, slap these cryers around in game 5 and head off to detroit to give them the same abuse!

Lord Stiller
05-16-2008, 08:02 AM
it almost seemed like the game was fixed so there would be a national televised game on Sunday to earn big money

The first period penalties were outrageous. Letang put a textbook hipcheck and got a clipping penalty??? wtf. Orpik's and Gonchar's penalties were just as bad. The Flyers would start a scrum after the whislte and then a penguin would get a penalty. BS

we need to win big Sunday and embarass them

Counselor
05-16-2008, 08:45 AM
I heard the "clipping" penalty and laughed out loud---of course that was before we were down 3-0. The first period was truly awful, The Pens legs looked like they were in quicksand. They were flat footed which let to the Philly chances and the penalties.

That said, Fleury did a great job last night---it could have been 10-0 in that first period, and Jordan Staal---what can I say, he was a monster in that third period.

oh, and one last thing . . . Versus sucks!

HometownGal
05-16-2008, 08:51 AM
That said, Fleury did a great job last night---it could have been 10-0 in that first period, and Jordan Staal---what can I say, he was a monster in that third period.

Fleury did a great job last night, especially in the first period - he was under assault almost the entire period. He really settled down after the Cryers 3 goals and played remarkably well.

The Pens need to let the Cryers chirp and shove all the want and try to stay focused. The Cryers were on a mission to draw penalties last night and they succeeded.

I second that motion - Versus TOTALLY sucks. How many times was play going on and we had to listen to interviews with Cryers personnel or go back to Hockey Central to listen to some jibberish??? If the Wings/Stars game was played at the same time last night, I could understand them giving us updates, but sheesh! :banging:

stlrtruck
05-16-2008, 10:17 AM
What I laughed at was that fan mimmicking crying in the stands - what he doesn't realize is two things:

A) that's what his coach and team have been doing
B) that's what he's going to be doing on Sunday

The penalties were a gift to the cryers by the refs. I guess the squeaky wheel does get the oil - at least in the dirty parts of town.

Come back to Pittsburgh and see what you get!!!

Edman
05-16-2008, 12:31 PM
No biggie. I predicted a split in Philly anyway.

Cryers go golfing Saturday.

HometownGal
05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
No biggie. I predicted a split in Philly anyway.

Cryers go golfing Saturday.

I was perusing a couple of their forums this morning and they believe Timonen's and Coburn's returns are going to save them and they will win out. :toofunny::toofunny: I'm not trying to be ignorant here, as I don't like to see any player in any sport injured, but c'mon - one is going to be playing with one leg and the other with one eye! The Cryers are fools if they rush Timonen back while he's still on blood thinners. Very dangerous.

As in the Rags series, the Pens hit a little bump in the road but came out firing in Game #5. I see absolutely no reason why they won't follow suit. The Pens will wrap up this series on Sunday afternoon and be heading to Detroit (or Dallas, but more than likely Detroit) to begin the Cup finals. :tt03:

X-Terminator
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I was perusing a couple of their forums this morning and they believe Timonen's and Coburn's returns are going to save them and they will win out. :toofunny::toofunny: I'm not trying to be ignorant here, as I don't like to see any player in any sport injured, but c'mon - one is going to be playing with one leg and the other with one eye! The Cryers are fools if they rush Timonen back while he's still on blood thinners. Very dangerous.

As in the Rags series, the Pens hit a little bump in the road but came out firing in Game #5. I see absolutely no reason why they won't follow suit. The Pens will wrap up this series on Sunday afternoon and be heading to Detroit (or Dallas, but more than likely Detroit) to begin the Cup finals. :tt03:

Well Coburn is likely to play, I would surmise, but Timonen...well, he did skate today and he said he still has some soreness and numbness in his ankle. Well gee, I guess that would be the case since you had a BLOOD CLOT in your ankle that was diagnosed A WEEK AGO. But he said that if he has a good practice tomorrow, he'll give it a go. He's a MORON if he tries to play with that injury. Playing through injuries in the playoffs is something that has happened since the league began, but it would be just stupid for the Flyers to allow him to play. If he takes another shot to that ankle or gets cut while he's on blood thinners, it's going to be ugly.

At any rate, it isn't going to matter. The Flyers fans can pound their chests all they want and think that having these guys back in the lineup at less than 100% is going to help them run the table, but it isn't going to happen. The Pens are going to end the series on Sunday.

X-Terminator
05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
it almost seemed like the game was fixed so there would be a national televised game on Sunday to earn big money

The first period penalties were outrageous. Letang put a textbook hipcheck and got a clipping penalty??? wtf. Orpik's and Gonchar's penalties were just as bad. The Flyers would start a scrum after the whislte and then a penguin would get a penalty. BS

we need to win big Sunday and embarass them

Interesting that you would say that, because two of my coworkers said the exact same thing this morning. If you look at last night's game and the Detroit/Dallas game, the refs were just brutal and pretty much gave Dallas and Philly every chance in the world to win the game. Detroit had a goal literally taken away from them when Tomas Holmstrom was ruled in the crease, when it was clear as day that he was well outside of the crease when the shot went in. And at 2 separate occasions, the Wings were called for 3 straight penalties. Last night, those calls against the Pens in the first were just ridiculous. Gonchar gets 2 minutes for putting his hand on a player? Letang got called for "clipping?" Hmmm, looked to me like that was a hip check he threw, which the last time I checked was LEGAL. Brooks Orpik basically got 2 minutes for receiving after Upshall cross-checked him in the back. Totally ridiculous. Under normal circumstances I don't complain about the refereeing, but when you see blatant bad calls going against a team, it does make you wonder if there's something going on.

SteelCityMan786
05-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Who Believes in this? :jammin: :drink:

X-Terminator
05-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Both Timonen and Coburn are IN for the Flyers tomorrow. And the sound you are hearing is the Pens' knees knocking in fear.

NOT!

Timonen is still making a huge mistake by playing, so if he gets hit on that ankle again or gets cut and bleeds like a stuck pig, he has no one to blame but himself. And of course, the Penguins will only be affected by their return to the lineup if they let them. I'm confident that they won't.

Also, Dallas beat Detroit 2-1 to force Game 6 on Monday night in Dallas. Go Stars go...if for no other reason than to tire the Wings out before the SCF...

SteelCityMan786
05-17-2008, 04:16 PM
According to the post-gazette, scary gary is might be back.

Malkin and Sykora missed practice due to illness, but are expected to be fine for tomorrow.

As for Timo and Colburn

They're crazy for trying to come back, but they have a lot of balls to do it.

HometownGal
05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Both Timonen and Coburn are IN for the Flyers tomorrow. And the sound you are hearing is the Pens' knees knocking in fear.

NOT!

Timonen is still making a huge mistake by playing, so if he gets hit on that ankle again or gets cut and bleeds like a stuck pig, he has no one to blame but himself. And of course, the Penguins will only be affected by their return to the lineup if they let them. I'm confident that they won't.

From nhl.com:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=363718

Timonen, who missed the first four games while recovering from a blood clot in his left ankle, said he has received medical clearance to play. While the clot hasn't cleared, doctors have assured Timonen it's safe for him to be on the ice.

"I got to trust the doctor's opinion that there's no risk at all if I play tomorrow," Timonen said. "The symptoms, they won't be gone tomorrow, they're going to be the same, but it felt pretty good today in practice. That's why I'm pretty confident to say I'm ready to go tomorrow."

Is the guy a moron or what??? :banging: He is on blood thinners and the clot isn't cleared out yet. I don't really think he is going to be at 100%, and even if he was, I think the Pens can well handle him. Coburn may be back from what the article says but again, he wasn't effective against us in the first couple of games, so I'm not worried about him either.

LETS GO PENS! Let's finish those Crytards off tomorrow afternoon! :tt03::thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
05-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I fuggin hate the Cryers!

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Timonen is going to trust the Flyer doctors? I am sorry, you are a bigger idiot than I thought.

Ask Dave Babych about the Flyer doctors

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/05/20/prse0520.htm

And you can't forget about Eric Lindros either

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2000/writing/over250.news.first.html

dumb, dumb, dumb

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Timonen is going to trust the Flyer doctors? I am sorry, you are a bigger idiot than I thought.

Ask Dave Babych about the Flyer doctors

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/05/20/prse0520.htm

And you can't forget about Eric Lindros either

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2000/writing/over250.news.first.html

dumb, dumb, dumb

I agree. I think Timonen is taking an enormous risk by playing today. :banging: I guess he feels he will be the Cryers "salvation" and as I said above, I don't think he is going to make that much of an impact.

Nice read on Coach Therrien. I hope Shero is smart and signs him to a long term contract soon before someone else scarfs him up. If Shero doesn't offer him a contract before his expires at the end of next season, Therrien will be one hot tamale on the open market.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08139/882912-194.stm

Therrien's achievements merit big, new contract

Sunday, May 18, 2008
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If Michel Therrien had accomplished on the college level in football or basketball what he has with the Penguins, he would have a contract running through, at least, 2012 and be exalted among followers of that school.

If Therrien had accomplished with the Steelers -- or just about any other NFL team, for that matter -- what he has with the Penguins, he would be signed for about four more years and be revered across the region.

But Therrien, whose two-plus season coaching run with the Penguins has been just a hair short of phenomenal, is signed only through next season and is, at best, tolerated across the region.

If Therrien had a college program or the Steelers on a similar course that he has the Penguins -- a win away from the Stanley Cup final -- his contract would have been torn up weeks ago and a new one -- longer and worth more -- would have been drawn up.

But that's not the way it works in the NHL, where they eat their coaches. They fire coaches almost at whim. They dump them after wonderful seasons. They jettison them when they're in first place in the final weeks of the season.

And, yes, as the Penguins did to Ivan Hlinka in 2001, they fire them four games into a season after they surprisingly had advanced to the conference final some five months earlier.

So it is that Therrien, whose Penguins can eliminate the Philadelphia Flyers in five games in the Eastern Conference final with a win this afternoon at Mellon Arena, is vastly underappreciated by fans, media and the people who count: General manager Ray Shero and owner Mario Lemieux.

Therrien took over just about the worst NHL franchise 31 games into the 2005-06 season. The Penguins were losers of the first order and on their way to finishing last in their division for the fourth consecutive season. In the final two years of that run, they either had the worst or next-to-worst record in the 30-team NHL.

Given time to install his system and build up a sense of discipline in an organization that famously had almost none throughout much of its history, Therrien turned those losers into big-time winners. In the fourth-biggest turnaround in NHL history, the Penguins went from 58 point to 105 last season. They went from not making the playoffs for four seasons in a row to having the second-highest point total in team history.

It was widely expected that after such a giant leap forward, the Penguins would take a step back this season. In light of the injuries that sidelined Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury for long periods and the failure of veterans Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts to make any kind of contributions, that backward step figured to be enormous.

It wasn't. Therrien kept his team together without Fleury, without Crosby, without both of them and without the veteran leadership that was supposed to keep this young team striving. The Penguins won their division and finished with 105 points.

So where's the new contract?

Like we said, it's hockey. It's not done that way.

Proof of that is the extension Therrien was offered last year after turning the perennial losers into big winners: One year.

It was an insult and one that clearly stated Therrien, who was hired by Craig Patrick, was not Shero's guy. Therrien would be the guy to do the dirty work and build this team up, but not the guy to get them to the promised land.

Therrien played the role of company man by calling the extension "a great vote of confidence."

Ha! It was more an affront to his ability than a vote of confidence.

There's no doubt Shero will be coming around with a new contract when this season ends, be it with a Stanley Cup championship or not.

Here's the only question: Will Therrien be willing to sign it?

There's no question he has a great thing going in Pittsburgh. The town is hockey mad. Shero is a first-rate general manager, and the talent level is spectacular. But if he should win the Cup, or at least get to the final, there will be a market out there for Therrien. If he does the same next year, in what could be the final year of his contract, there will be a giant market out there for him.

That doesn't mean Therrien's going anywhere. Shero's too smart to offer another one-year extension, and Therrien's too smart to accept one.

The Penguins have a coach for the long run, and it's time to give him the contract he deserves.

cakmakli
05-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Agree big time. I hate Versus almost as much as the Flyers. Every game we have to listen to that blond wench interview someone about stupid crap that has nothing to do with hockey, let alone the game and this is while the game is in play. They even spit the screen for "Hockey Central" while Malone and Hatcher were going at it.

And the announcers suck big time. They got on my nerves so bad I turned off the volume and listen to the game on the radio. They are so bias toward the Flyers they were probably wearing orange panties.

Thank God for Mike Lange.

BettisFan
05-18-2008, 11:25 AM
big day today fellas! Lets win this! GO PENS!

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
big day today fellas! Lets win this! GO PENS!
:iagree:

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Just had to share this before today's game. :toofunny: :upyours: Cryers!

LETS GO PENS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/PGHLADYmlg/Philly_homos2.jpg

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 01:19 PM
LMBO..lol that is good.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 01:25 PM
From the Flyers website. Timonen will play, Coburn will not. What an idiot. :screwy:

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=18891

Sunday, May 18

12:56 p.m.
Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen will return to the Flyers' lineup for this afternoon's Game 5 in Pittsburgh, (3:00 p.m., NBC) but fellow blueliner Braydon Coburn will not play.

Timonen will make his first appearance in the Eastern Conference Finals having missed the last four games with a blood clot. Through the first two rounds, Timonen leads the team in ice time, averaging 24:55 per game.

Coburn will miss his third game of the series after sustaing a facial injury early in Game 2.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 02:15 PM
The Pens and Flyers are on the ice - game is about to begin!

LETS GO PENS!!!! Put the Cryers out of their misery this afternoon! :tt03::tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Pens score on the PP... 1-0

Edman
05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
GOAL by Ryan Malone!

1-0 Penguins!

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 02:34 PM
GOAL by Ryan Malone!

1-0 Penguins!

These look more like the Pens we saw in Games 1-3. They're checking well, picking the Flyers' pockets and seem really energized. Keep it up boys! :tt03::thumbsup:

Edman
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM
GOOOOOOAAAAAALLL!!!!!!

Evgeni Malkin jams it in! 2-0 Penguins!

OneForTheToe
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM
SCORRRREEEEE

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Goal by Geno - WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Kimmo who? :chuckle: Biron was b & ming to the refs because he lost his stick as Malkin was stuffing the puck in the net. Sucks to be him - what did he expect the refs to do about it? That's HIS problem.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Pens totally dominate the 1st. Carry it through to the end of the game Pens!

Notice the Big Fag, a/k/'a Hatcher, tried to goad Laraque into a fight and Georges didn't bite? :toofunny::toofunny:

Edman
05-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Great 1st Period by the Penguins. Incredible intesity. Keep it going guys. Don't go to sleep.

The exact opposite of how the Dead Wings played yesterday at home. Now the Stars have life heading into Game 6.

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:02 PM
i missed most of the first period b/c i was watching nfl replay.. sorry :(

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Great 1st Period by the Penguins. Incredible intesity. Keep it going guys. Don't go to sleep.

The exact opposite of how the Dead Wings played yesterday at home. Now the Stars have life heading into Game 6.

I can't believe I'm actually pulling for a team from Dallas. :toofunny::yuck:

Therrien always says that the Pens don't play the trap, but they've been playing a 1-2-2, which is the trap. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:12 PM
HTG, i thought you would be rooting for the red wings..lol.. i think they may be in trouble now.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:14 PM
HTG, i thought you would be rooting for the red wings..lol.. i think they may be in trouble now.

No way. You're the Wings fan around here, not me.

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
No way. You're the Wings fan around here, not me.
i am going to have to convert you i see.. good PK by the pens

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:27 PM
3-0 pens.

Edman
05-18-2008, 03:28 PM
GOOOOAAALLL! Marian Hossa!

3-0 Penguins!

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
umberger and malkin trying to go at it.

Edman
05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Gotta love the 'Flyers Suck' chants.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Umberger goes after Malkin and they end up smelling like a rose? THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Gotta love the 'Flyers Suck' chants.

They'll be doing the "Hatcher sucks" chant towards the end of the 3rd - it's a ritual at Flyers games at Mellon Arena. :toofunny::thumbsup:

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I like the way Malkin plays and has become my favorite NHL player. But this is the playoffs. Stay out of the penalty box.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
i am going to have to convert you i see.. good PK by the pens

Convert me to what - a Wings fan? I didn't just jump on the Pens bandwagon - I've been a loyal fan for 4 decades. :wink02:

What I'm not getting here is why, if you are a Wings fan, you are "cheering on" the Pens? :noidea:

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Convert me to what - a Wings fan? I didn't just jump on the Pens bandwagon - I've been a loyal fan for 4 decades. :wink02:

What I'm not getting here is why, if you are a Wings fan, you are "cheering on" the Pens? :noidea:
i am really not a fan of any team. my son loves the wings, not me.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Another PP for the Pens!!! C'mon guys - stick it up their hineys!

The Duke
05-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I like the way Malkin plays and has become my favorite NHL player. But this is the playoffs. Stay out of the penalty box.

malkin has been awesome today!

this espn article is now irrelevant

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3399841

now hossa never stops impressing me. I love the trade so much more now

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 03:38 PM
4-0

IT"S OVER

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Malone scores again with an assist by my Sarge - WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Pour it on Pens!

Edman
Ryan Malone! Another goal!

4-0 Penguins!

The Duke
wow!

4-0

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Did they credit that goal to Sid or Malone?

TackleMeBen
05-18-2008, 03:41 PM
looks like philly is going to have a nice ride back to the city of brotherly love..lol

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:45 PM
4th goal went to Crosby with Sarge getting the assist.

Pens are playing so well defensively and Fleury has been just incredible in goal once again. Let's see if we can double the score in the 3rd. :chuckle:

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:46 PM
LMAO - now they've given the goal to Malone. Hey - whoever - it looks great on that jumbotron!

Edman
05-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Unfreaking believeable.

5-0 Penguins!

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I think the Pens just broke the Cryers' backs. What an awesome performance by our Pens today!

Edman
05-18-2008, 03:58 PM
One more period to go. Hold on, Penguins. It's not over yet.

Actually, HTG, I think it was the third goal by Hossa that opened the floodgates.

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 04:00 PM
We have an ass whoopin' in progress here! I am absolutely LOVING IT!!! :tt03:

That should have been a goal by the Flyers at the end, though it wouldn't have made any difference other than getting rid of that round number on the Flyers' score. Now I'm hoping for some fireworks and a few fights in the 3rd period, and my day will be complete. :drink:

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Actually, HTG, I think it was the third goal by Hossa that opened the floodgates.

I wholeheartedly agree. But that 3-0 lead does not happen if Fleury doesn't make those 2 huge saves a couple of minutes prior.

Edman
05-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. But that 3-0 lead does not happen if Fleury doesn't make those 2 huge saves a couple of minutes prior.

Oh no doubt. Fleury was been incredible today. The Flyers have had their fair share of scoring chances.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 04:05 PM

A 3-0 lead is certainly a comfy lead in most games, Ed, but as the Flyers know all too well, the Pens almost came back from a 3-0 deficit in the 3rd on Thursday night. A 5-0 lead is 99.9% insurmountable with one period to play.

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Fleury is not going to give up 6 goals in 20 minutes, not the way he has been playing. And the Flyers don't have the fire power to do this. This game is over. But Pittsburgh has to make sure their top players don't play much in the third as the Flyers will try and cheap shot.

The minute I edited this post, HNIC shows a shot of the king of cheap shot artists, Bobby Clarke, in the Flyers box.

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
The Flyers goal was denied because whoever it was that was crashing the net ran into Fleury and did not give him the opportunity to make a play. Correct call.

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
6 - 0

loving it

Edman
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Six Nothing folks.:tt::thumbsup:

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 04:16 PM
POUR IT ON PENS!! Hoss strikes again!

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
But Pittsburgh has to make sure their top players don't play much in the third as the Flyers will try and cheap shot.

The minute I edited this post, HNIC shows a shot of the king of cheap shot artists, Bobby Clarke, in the Flyers box.

I think that's a smart (and safe) idea, Petes.

Booby Clarke - cheap shot artist extraordinaire.

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 04:20 PM
The Flyers goal was denied because whoever it was that was crashing the net ran into Fleury and did not give him the opportunity to make a play. Correct call.

Yes, you are correct. I didn't think about that rule at first - good eye!

6-0 Pens. Damn, this seems like that 8-0 rout of the North Stars in '91 in the cup-clinching game. And you can bet that they will not let up on the Flyers one single bit.

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Your are right. The Penguins are not letting up.

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Na na na na hey hey hey... goodbye

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
GO HOME FLYERS! :tt03::tt03: A little under 5 minutes until our Pens hoist the Wales trophy!

Ray Shero - what a genius! :drink:

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 04:33 PM
i am really not a fan of any team. my son loves the wings, not me.

But you pretty much admitted you were in another post. Which begs the question...why are you even posting in this thread if you (or your kid, doesn't matter) are a Wings fan?

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
CONGRATULATIONS PENS!!!!

WE'RE PLAYING FOR THE STANLEY CUP!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Edman
05-18-2008, 04:42 PM
That's going to do it!

The Penguins are going to the Stanley Cup Finals!

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 04:45 PM
The Stanley Cup finals look like they will start next Saturday, according to HNIC

Edman
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
It's really nice to see everything come together for the Penguins. Two seasons ago among the worst teams in the league. This team has made great strides in just two years. I'm so proud of them.

Stars or Red Wings. The Penguins will be ready for them.

fansince'76
05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats to the Pens! :tt02: :party:

Penguins rout Flyers 6-0 for Stanley Cup trip

Pittsburgh (AP) — Ryan Malone, the one Penguins player with firsthand memories of the team’s two previous Stanley Cup appearances, scored twice and set up a third goal and Pittsburgh routed rival Philadelphia 6-0 Sunday to win the Eastern Conference championship and a trip to the NHL finals.

The Penguins, dominating Game 5 from the start as Malone and Evgeni Malkin scored in the first 10 minutes, will play the winner of the Detroit-Dallas series for the Stanley Cup. The Red Wings take a 3-2 series lead into Dallas for Game 6 of the Western Conference finals Monday night.

Marian Hossa had a goal and three assists and Sidney Crosby, the 20-year-old captain of a team that was the Eastern Conference’s worst only two seasons ago, added two assists.

Pens Rout Flyers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_ylt=AsujZQPv16tDCaivzEgzuVZ7vLYF?gid=200805 1816)

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2008, 05:15 PM
2008 EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I still can't freakin' believe that Michel Therrien is not a candidate for the Jack Adams trophy. :banging::banging::banging:

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
HEY BRIERE I PRESENT YOU WITH MY FOURTH.................:fingers: OF THE SERIES!

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2008, 05:31 PM
And my favorite ways to signify the series is over.

dwnqqj5Q1BU

Q8Tiz6INF7I

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Congratulations Pens!!!! When I think about how low things had gotten, with the bad seasons, the bankruptcy, nearly losing them to a 10th-rate city like KC, few people are happier than I am to see my boys make it to the SCF. And to do it by ousting the Cryers in such dominating fashion makes it that much sweeter.

But there is more work to be done. It's nice to win the East, but there is only one goal in mind for me and the rest of the team, and that's to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup. Let's get it done!!! :drink:

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 06:20 PM
The Pens gave me a smile from ear to ear, but I needed a good laugh, so I took a trip over to one of the Flyers forums and they didn't disappoint me! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: What a bunch of sore losers they are!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=517343&page=24

Here's my favorite! :toofunny::toofunny:

LOL at these pittsburgh fans running their mouths. I guess after years of tanking they finally have something to talk about. Congrats on helping cause the lockout and destroying the NHL.

:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
:tt03::tt03::tt03:

I particularly love Hoss' comments. Does this mean he just may take a bit of a discount to remain with the team? :hope:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Recap&gameNumber=315&season=20072008&gameType=3

Pens crush Flyers, advance to Finals
Brian Compton | NHL.com Staff Writer

For the first time in 16 years, the Pittsburgh Penguins have reached the Stanley Cup Final.

For Ryan Malone, it’s been a long time coming.

The Pittsburgh native scored twice, Marian Hossa had a goal and three assists and Marc-Andre Fleury stopped all 21 shots he faced as the Pens advanced to the final round for the first time since 1992 with an emphatic 6-0 win over the Philadelphia Flyers at Mellon Arena on Sunday.

The victory was Pittsburgh’s 16th straight in the Steel City. The Penguins have not lost at Mellon Arena since Feb. 24, when they dropped a shootout decision to the San Jose Sharks.

The Pens needed little time to break the scoreless tie, as Malone notched his first goal of the game at 2:30 of the opening period. Just 12 seconds after Mike Knuble was whistled for hooking, Malone redirected a feed from Sidney Crosby past Flyers goalie Martin Biron as the Pens took a 1-0 lead.

Evgeni Malkin put Pittsburgh up by a pair just over seven minutes later with his first goal since Game 1 of this series. After Malone was able to seize control of the pick from Flyers defenseman Derian Hatcher, he fed Malkin for the easy tap-in.

“This is what you play hockey for,” Malone said. “I think everybody dreamt about it as a hockey player. To get a chance now to battle for the best prize there is, it’s going to be fun. I think we’re all excited to get going.”

Hossa extended Pittsburgh’s lead with his ninth goal of the playoffs 8:24 into the second period. With the teams at even strength, Hossa took a pass from the corner by Crosby and one-timed a laser past Biron to make it 3-0.

Hard to believe that it was only three months ago when the soon-to-be free agent was skating for a struggling Atlanta squad.

“Sometimes, it takes time to adjust, and it took me a little bit,” Hossa said. “Right now, I feel like I’m at home. I’m just happy to be here.”

Malone tallied his second goal of the game less than four minutes later via the power play. Fourteen seconds after Jeff Carter went off for tripping, Malone parked himself in front of the net and redirected Sergei Gonchar’s wrist shot from the point past Biron as the Pens went up, 4-0. Jordan Staal sent the Flyers reeling towards the dressing room when he made it a five-goal game with just under a minute to play in the second.

“We got a great start and we didn’t let our foot off the gas,” said Crosby, who had two assists and was a plus-2. “We made sure that we kept coming. Everyone contributed and everyone bought into what we had to do. It’s a great game for us.”

The Penguins held the Flyers to eight shots in the third period and took a 6-0 lead at 4:03, when Pascal Dupuis – who arrived in the same deal as Hossa – redirected the latter’s shot past Biron for his second goal of the playoffs.

Philadelphia finished 0-for-4 on the power play and experienced a tremendous amount of difficulty generating quality chances against Fleury, who improved to 12-2 this postseason.

“I don't think you can put too much weight into one game,” Flyers coach John Stevens said. “I think we're going to look at our season as a whole, have a really good evaluation of the things we did well and the areas we need to get better. And this one game to me is going to have very little to do with that overall evaluation.”

Mike Richards – who had seven goals and seven assists this postseason and is one of the team’s leaders despite his young age (23), was proud of the way his team performed in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Philadelphia finished with the worst record in the NHL a season ago.

“Through all the adversity and the highs and lows, it’s great to see that we can get through some of the adversity we had thrown our way,” Richards said. “I had one of the funnest years I had, just being around the guys. I wouldn’t trade it. I’m extremely happy with the team.”

Just as Malone is happy with his. Sixteen years after watching his favorite team win its second straight Stanley Cup, Malone is now playing a huge role in the chase for that elusive third championship.

Malone remembers playing for the 2003-04 Penguins, who finished in the Atlantic Division basement with a record of 23-47-12. Dick Tarnstrom was the team’s leading scorer with 52 points.

How times have changed.

“Four years ago where we were … the fans have been patient,” Malone said. “We realize we have a tough test in front of us still. Our goal wasn’t to get here – our goal was to get the whole thing done. So far, so good.”

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2008, 06:47 PM
The Pens gave me a smile from ear to ear, but I needed a good laugh, so I took a trip over to one of the Flyers forums and they didn't disappoint me! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: What a bunch of sore losers they are!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=517343&page=24

Here's my favorite! :toofunny::toofunny:

:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

Grow up I say to those Cryers fans. Knowing how fans of Filthy are, they will not listen to me.

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 06:55 PM
F Philly and their sorry ass fans. It warms the c0ckles of my heart to see those jackasses go yet another year without a championship. They truly do not deserve one.

BettisFan
05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
WOOOOOOHOOOO HELLZ YEA BABY!!!!! GO PENS!!! WE ARE GOING ALL THE WAY!!!!!!! HAHAHA YES!!

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
F Philly and their sorry ass fans. It warms the c0ckles of my heart to see those jackasses go yet another year without a championship. They truly do not deserve one.

Not for a nice long time. :drink:

HometownGal
05-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Yet another very enjoyable read on our Pens! :thumbsup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3402435

Penguins' turnaround complete with trip to Cup finals
By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- As you watched the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Philadelphia Flyers line up for the ceremonial end-of-series handshake at center ice Sunday, Penguins fans waving their white towels over their heads in celebration and confetti settling down from the Mellon Arena ceiling, it was easy to forget that, not so long ago, this Penguins team was a team without a future -- at least not a future here.

But just 17 months after Canadian technology mogul Jim Balsillie walked away from his offer to buy the team -- and presumably begin the process of moving the team to Canada -- these same Penguins are headed to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr were leading the Pens to the second of back-to-back Cups in 1992.

Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh's owner and savior, congratulated Sidney Crosby and others after Sunday's Game 5.

From chaos to the Cup finals in the blink of an eye.

"It seems like a long time ago. It really wasn't, but it just seems we've come a long way, on and off the ice," GM Ray Shero said after the Penguins ended this Eastern Conference finals series with an emphatic 6-0 shutout of the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 5 on Sunday. "It's a great thing for the city of Pittsburgh and this franchise."

The Penguins will now enter the Cup finals as the NHL's hottest team with a gaudy 12-2 postseason record, something that was almost unthinkable two seasons ago, when the team was the worst in the Eastern Conference with 58 points (29th in the NHL).

"I think it's huge," Shero said. "I was telling someone just a few days ago, just looking back 15, 16 months, we had moved into our house and my wife didn't even buy new curtains. We didn't know if we were going to be here the following year and to see how far this team's come in that amount of time."

After the postgame handshake, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly presented Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby with the Prince of Wales Trophy, which is awarded to the Eastern Conference champion. Crosby, as has become tradition, did not touch the trophy, which was later set up on a table in a dark hallway outside the Penguins' dressing room. It was almost an afterthought.

"I've watched a lot of Stanley Cup playoff games," said Crosby, who received advice from veterans like Petr Sykora to not handle the hardware. "You don't see too many guys touch it. We all realized that's not the one we want to be holding."

In the dressing room, brand new T-shirts proclaiming the Penguins as conference champs appeared as though out of thin air. There were matching baseball caps. Lemieux, the Penguins' owner and team icon, made his way through the dressing room congratulating players.

"Four more," Ryan Whitney called out as he took a seat at his dressing room stall. But apart from a happy buzz, this was not a scene of unbridled euphoria, but something else perhaps closer to a satisfied calm.

Shero said he was chatting after the game with director of player development Tom Fitzgerald, whose Florida Panthers beat the Penguins in the 1996 Eastern Conference finals to earn the franchise's only trip to the Stanley Cup finals.

"They thought they'd won the Stanley Cup," Shero said. "I think we have a real focused group. Hopefully, in the end, that's going to bode well for us."

Two years ago, the Penguins were the worst defensive team in the league by a wide margin. Shortly after coach Michel Therrien took over for Ed Olczyk, he declared in one of his most famous tirades that the Penguins were trying to become the NHL's worst defensive team.

Yet now, through the last half of the regular season and into the playoffs, the Penguins have shown remarkable composure. They have allowed just 26 goals in 14 games and boast the best defensive record in the playoffs. Marc-Andre Fleury's shutout was his third of the postseason. The Penguins have not lost in regulation at home since Feb. 13, and are 8-0 at home in the postseason.

These are the facts that build the story of the Penguins' revival.

"We're aware of what we've accomplished, but obviously our goal is to win the Cup," defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "At the same time, we're not blind to the fact of how far we've come in the last three years."

In many ways, Sunday's pounding of the Flyers was emblematic of their entire playoff voyage this spring.

Sidney Crosby stood close to, but didn't touch, the Prince of Wales Trophy.

Yes, the big guns returned from their one-game slumber in Game 4 on Thursday night in Philadelphia, with Marian Hossa leading the way with a goal and three assists. Crosby added a pair of assists and Evgeni Malkin, a nonfactor for the past three games, scored a goal.

Yet this victory was as much about Max Talbot and Pascal Dupuis and Brooks Orpik as the more famous Penguins.

It was Talbot, the energetic fourth-line center, who drew the first penalty of the game, keeping his feet moving in the offensive zone and forcing Mike Knuble to hook him to the ice just 2:18 into the first period. Twelve seconds later, Crosby's hard slap/pass glanced into the net off Ryan Malone, and the dye was cast.

The penalty killers, led by Jordan Staal and Dupuis, once again limited the Flyers' chances. The Flyers were 0-for-4 on the man advantage and the Penguins have allowed just seven power-play goals in their 14 games, while scoring 16 times on the man advantage.

"There was no doubt that we were approaching every single game with a lot of confidence," Therrien said. "But to be quite honest, when we start the playoffs, we're not thinking about the Stanley Cup finals. Our main focus was on the first round, and that was our philosophy with that young group.

"I'm not a big fan to look on top of the mountain when there's a lot of steps to be made. And the next one, it's another step."

The Flyers, who had enjoyed a renaissance of their own by rebounding from a franchise-worst last-place finish last season to playoff upsets of Washington and Montreal, simply ran out of gas Sunday. They fell behind early on the Malone power-play marker and were never able to assert themselves.

"I just told the guys that I have been in the game a long time. Working with this group has been one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had in pro hockey. It really has been," Flyers coach John Stevens said. "We've made tremendous strides this year, and we've come an awful long way. You give Pittsburgh credit. To me, they were the No. 1 seed in the East in terms of what I've seen."

The Penguins will play the winner of the Western Conference finals series between the Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars. In the coming days, perhaps, they will get a chance to reflect on the path this team has followed to find itself at the big dance.

Across the street from Mellon Arena, buildings have already been raised to make way for a new home for the Penguins. Outside the arena, thousands of fans have gathered before each home playoff game to tailgate and watch the contest on a giant video screen. In the past, the rubble would have been symbolic of the team's state of affairs and there wouldn't have been a playoff game to consider, let alone fans to watch it on the lawn.

Now, the rubble speaks to the team's future, a future that now includes a trip to the Stanley Cup finals.

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I still can't freakin' believe that Michel Therrien is not a candidate for the Jack Adams trophy. :banging::banging::banging:

It's usually the kiss of death anyways.

Petesburgh66
05-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Amen. The Penguins have done hockey fans including myself a huge favour by taking out the trash. Good riddance. I can't stand Philly sports fans due to their arrogance and big mouths.

But their smack just won't end like with such crap like Duh, The Red Wings will smoke the Penguins . Sorry, but the Dead Things of Murder City Michigan still haven't won their series and are having problems putting away Dallas.

SteelCityMan786
05-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I present you some bitching from the Flyers Message Board.

:finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

Was a healthy scratch for Pittsburgh today

(Reffering to Gary Bettman)

Maybe I am just gutted because we got beat, but some of the calls on us through the series where out of order. Bettman wanted Pittsburgh in the final, and he got his wish.

In saying that, Pittsburgh were the better team, but I still stand by the refs giving us the shaft at times!

It must be nice to be a crappy team for so many years that you get two superstars in a row, Penguins deserve what is coming to them against the Western Conference.

QUIT BITCHING FLYERS!!!!!!! THE FLYERS LOST BECAUSE THEY ARE WORSE THEN THE PENGUINS! GROW A SET AND GET READY FOR THE NEXT YEAR WHILE THE PENGUINS GET READY TO PLAY FOR THE CUP!!!!!!

Lord Stiller
05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Cryers fans are pathetic

F them all

X-Terminator
05-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I present you some bitching from the Flyers Message Board.

:finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

QUIT BITCHING FLYERS!!!!!!! THE FLYERS LOST BECAUSE THEY ARE WORSE THEN THE PENGUINS! GROW A SET AND GET READY FOR THE NEXT YEAR WHILE THE PENGUINS GET READY TO PLAY FOR THE CUP!!!!!!

It never fails. The Pens win a game, completely dominate the game, and there is always SOMEONE who blames it on the refs or Gary Bettman. Someone should tell that ass spelunker that:

A. The Flyers were awarded more power plays in the series than the Penguins.
B. The Flyers were the beneficiary of some VERY ticky-tack fouls throughout the series, and especially in game 4. Meanwhile, they got away with taking numerous shots at the Pens, drawing several retaliation penalties and got a PP today out of a scrum that was started by R.J. Umberger.
C. The Pens had a clear goal disallowed in game 1.

So don't give me that shit about the Pens getting all of the calls. It's complete BS. Your team got owned - deal with it.

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 06:11 AM
But their smack just won't end like with such crap like Duh, The Red Wings will smoke the Penguins . Sorry, but the Dead Things of Murder City Michigan still haven't won their series and are having problems putting away Dallas.

no they havent. and i think if they do win against dallas, they may be too tired to go up against a very young pens team that looks like they are unstoppable.

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 06:24 AM
this boy needs to market these tshirts to the great city of philly..lol.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/capt21edfd718f7b4cf19b97fc20201aa97.jpg

HometownGal
05-19-2008, 06:51 AM
I like this picture much better! :thumbsup::tt03:

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2008/05/051808_DAL_DET_GCrosby.jpg

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
you would like it much better if he were holding the stanley cup..lol

UK CANDY BEE
05-19-2008, 08:11 AM
HEY !! Now here's something where I am on the same page with you Pittsburgh fans !!

I want to see the Penguins BEAT THE SNOT out of the %&#$@! Red Wings !!!!

......and while they're at it, could you encourage them to grind that whining crybaby Chris Chelios so far into the ice that even the Zamboni couldn't even get him out ??

I am a Predators fan, but with all they lost from the previous season, the Preds were pushing it just to make the playoffs.

I am not terribly knowledgable about hockey (heck, I don't even understand all the rules !!), but it seems to me that the Pens are much better equipped to accomplish what the Predators couldn't get done.

Lord Stiller
05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
HEY !! Now here's something where I am on the same page with you Pittsburgh fans !!

......and while they're at it, could you encourage them to grind that whining crybaby Chris Chelios so far into the ice that even the Zamboni couldn't even get him out ??

I am a Predators fan, but with all they lost from the previous season, the Preds were pushing it just to make the playoffs.

I am not terribly knowledgable about hockey (heck, I don't even understand all the rules !!), but it seems to me that the Pens are much better equipped to accomplish what the Predators couldn't get done.

Predators definitely gave the Redwings a run for their money

They nearly pulled off a massive upset, you should be proud of your team.

Pens will finish them off!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :drink:

X-Terminator
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM

If they can lift Chelios out of his wheelchair enough so that he can skate, we'll be glad to finish Methusala off once and for all. I couldn't stand that whiny cheap shot artist back when he played for the Canadiens back in the late 80s. I'll never forget Flyers' goalie Ron Hextall jumping and then beating the hell out of him for knocking out one of their star players with a hit from behind. No one was more deserving, except maybe Claude Lemieux.

EDIT: Here is the incident in question. As much as I hate the Flyers and hated Hextall, I loved seeing him pound on Chelios:

DR-ZgMz3FIU

HometownGal
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
you would like it much better if he were holding the stanley cup..lol

I'll like it much better WHEN he is holding the Stanley Cup. :tt03:

cakmakli
05-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Who would have thought that only two years after winning the Super Bowl, a small city like Pittsburgh would also be in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Pittsburgh is the Greatest.

Now if the Pirates make it to the World Series, I'm going to church because the four horsemen can't be far behind

HometownGal
05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Who would have thought that only two years after winning the Super Bowl, a small city like Pittsburgh would also be in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Pittsburgh is the Greatest.

Now if the Pirates make it to the World Series, I'm going to church because the four horsemen can't be far behind

We are a proud bunch here, aren't we? :drink: Wouldn't it be just awesome if all 3 Pittsburgh sports franchises won their respective championships this year? :tt03::tt02:

Pittsburgh small? According to the Wikipedia site, it is the is the second largest city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with a population of 334,563 and the 20th largest metropolitan area in the United States, and the 50th largest metropolitan area in North America with a population of 2,358,695. I don't think I even realized how large Pittsburgh is until I moved away in the late 70's to Wichita, KS. Couldn't wait to get back!

Our Pens are going to get at least 5 days rest depending on the winner of the Western Conference finals, which I believe will be a bonus!

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=363822

Penguins get to sit back and relax
Dan Rosen | NHL.com Staff Writer May 19, 2008, 10:00 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Marian Hossa, Ryan Malone and the rest of the Pittsburgh Penguins will once again get to enjoy a good amount of rest before getting
back to work to prepare for the Stanley Cup Final.

And so the Pittsburgh Penguins sit and wait again, which is a pretty envious position to be in these days.

While the Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars square off again tonight in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals, the Penguins can watch from the cozy confines of their living rooms, a place they've become quite familiar with during these playoffs.

The Penguins, who dispatched the Philadelphia Flyers in five games to win the Eastern Conference championship, have had ample time off between each of their series this postseason. How long they have to wait to begin the Stanley Cup Final is still up in the air, but the Penguins plan to take advantage of the rest.

"We've had it every round so far and it's been nice," defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "You get a couple of days away from the rink, then you have two or three real good practices and you're ready to go."

Sometimes rest can be a bad thing at this time of the year because it stops any momentum you've gained from the previous series dead in its tracks. But for the Penguins, the days off they've had between finishing one series and starting another haven't done anything to ruin their mojo.

The Penguins went eight days without playing a game after sweeping the Ottawa Senators in the first round. They won the first three games against the New York Rangers and finished them off in five games.

They went four days without a game before opening against the Flyers, but won the first three games of that series again before taking it in Game 5 Sunday with a dominating 6-0 victory.

"Any time you get rest at this time of the year, it's always a positive," defenseman Brooks Orpik said.

Orpik, though, said rest can't be construed with total relaxation.

"If you just go through the motions in practice it will carry over into the games," he said. "You have to keep the tempo of practices up as close as you can to games. It's hard to do, but I think we have done a pretty good job of it so far."

"It's not that we're taking lazy days," Whitney added. "We're having hard practices that are getting us prepared for the next round."

The good news for Pittsburgh is they don't really have any bumps and bruises to mend, save for an illness to veteran winger Gary Roberts, who missed the last three games of the Conference Finals with pneumonia.

The bad news is no matter if its Dallas or Detroit, the Penguins knowledge doesn't stretch too far.

The Penguins have not beaten the Red Wings since a 4-3 decision on Oct. 18, 2003, but that night Marc-Andre Fleury made 31 saves for his first NHL win in his third career start, and Ryan Malone was the game's second star with two assists.

Still, eight Penguins expected to be in the lineup for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final -- Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Maxime Talbot, Tyler Kennedy, Whitney, Kris Letang and Rob Scuderi -- have never beaten the Red Wings.

They even lost back-to-back preseason games to the Red Wings this past September.

They at least have somewhat of a history – and a good one – with Dallas. The Penguins won at the American Airlines Center last season, 4-3 in a shootout, and 4-1 at Mellon Arena this season. Crosby has two goals and two assists against the Stars.

"We're not too familiar with either team, so we just have to make sure we have our 'A' game going in there for Game 1 and coaches will make the adjustments as needed," Malone said. "It's pretty simple hockey come playoff time."

At least that's the way the Penguins have made it look, which is why tonight they can be couch potatoes.

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
If they can lift Chelios out of his wheelchair enough so that he can skate, we'll be glad to finish Methusala off once and for all. I couldn't stand that whiny cheap shot artist back when he played for the Canadiens back in the late 80s. I'll never forget Flyers' goalie Ron Hextall jumping and then beating the hell out of him for knocking out one of their star players with a hit from behind. No one was more deserving, except maybe Claude Lemieux.

EDIT: Here is the incident in question. As much as I hate the Flyers and hated Hextall, I loved seeing him pound on Chelios:

DR-ZgMz3FIU

chelios may not play tonight against dallas b/c of a sore leg.

TackleMeBen
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll like it much better WHEN he is holding the Stanley Cup. :tt03:
sorry i made a typo there.... yes when he IS not if... dont ban me..lol.. :flap:

HometownGal
05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I found this video which I think you all will enjoy! It's a shame that Colby Armstrong can't share in this experience, but I think the Pens got the much better end of that deal with Hossa and Dupuis! :tt03:

P.S. Thank you, Ty Conklin. Without your stellar play, the Pens wouldn't be where they are! :thumbsup:

ksjH6HURLIs

X-Terminator
05-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Conklin definitely deserves all the credit in the world for helping to keep the team afloat when Fleury was out. He did an outstanding job. I hope the team takes care of him - he's earned it.

Well, we know it's Pens vs. Wings for the Cup, so here's a little breakdown of where I feel the teams stack up against each other:

Offense: Edge Penguins
Defense: Edge Wings (their D corps top to bottom is better)
Goaltending: Draw
Special Teams: Draw
Grit: Edge Penguins
Coaching: Draw

If the Pens are to win, they must neutralize the Wings' top unit of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom, because after them, there's very little secondary scoring. Johan Franzen being out really hurts them in that department. Staying out of the penalty box would also go a long way toward keeping that line in check. Offensively, they have to find a way to get shots on Chris Osgood - he has not been tested very much at all so far in the playoffs, facing about 21 shots per game. Of course, when you are facing such offensive juggernauts as Nashville, a depleted Colorado squad and the Dallas Stars, it's no wonder. He has not faced a team with the offensive skill that the Penguins have, and if they can break through the Wings' left-wing lock system to generate offense, they should be able to score some goals on him. In the end, though, it's going to come down to the Pens' youthful exuberance vs. the Wings' experience. Whichever one gains the upper hand will win the series.

It's really a tough series to call - I think it can go either way. But my official prediction is the Pens in 6 games.

pittsburghp8baller
05-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Conklin definitely deserves all the credit in the world for helping to keep the team afloat when Fleury was out. He did an outstanding job. I hope the team takes care of him - he's earned it.

Well, we know it's Pens vs. Wings for the Cup, so here's a little breakdown of where I feel the teams stack up against each other:

Offense: Edge Penguins
Defense: Edge Wings (their D corps top to bottom is better)
Goaltending: Draw
Special Teams: Draw
Grit: Edge Penguins
Coaching: Draw

If the Pens are to win, they must neutralize the Wings' top unit of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom, because after them, there's very little secondary scoring. Johan Franzen being out really hurts them in that department. Staying out of the penalty box would also go a long way toward keeping that line in check. Offensively, they have to find a way to get shots on Chris Osgood - he has not been tested very much at all so far in the playoffs, facing about 21 shots per game. Of course, when you are facing such offensive juggernauts as Nashville, a depleted Colorado squad and the Dallas Stars, it's no wonder. He has not faced a team with the offensive skill that the Penguins have, and if they can break through the Wings' left-wing lock system to generate offense, they should be able to score some goals on him. In the end, though, it's going to come down to the Pens' youthful exuberance vs. the Wings' experience. Whichever one gains the upper hand will win the series.

It's really a tough series to call - I think it can go either way. But my official prediction is the Pens in 6 games.

nice ill pick pens to win in seven for all the same reasons u said. we gotta find ways to get QUALITY shots on goal. not necessalry a lot, we dont need that many shots to score with our fire power especially against aging and small goaltender Ozzy. Detroits puck possession game will def be tough to get use to they are one the best at it, when the Pens cant enter the zone we tend to jus dump and chase, detroit literaly turns around and skates around the neutral zone until the opportunity arises. it helps to have two of the top 3 quarterbacks on defense in Rafalski and Lidstrom

Like i said great series what you want out of the two best teams in the league and PENS IN 7!

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Ok so here's my breakdown for the Finals!

1) We can't have lazy passes like we did against the flyers. The redwings had a few short handed break aways and goals because of the stars lazy passes.

2) The wings seemed to head hunting vs. playing the puck. I'm not saying that they're hits were illegal I'm saying they seemed to want to play a little more physical hockey in the other team's zone trying to disrupt the offense.

3) The Pens third line is going to have to play just as well as they did in this last series if not better.

4) Fleury will have to be top of his game ala game 5 vs. the flyers for the entire series.

5) Look for a split in Detroit a sweep in Da' Burgh and then home and home with the Pens taking it in Game 6.

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Great assessments guys! :drink:

I pretty much agree with everything said, but I have believed and continue to believe that the Pens fire power is going to be way too much for the Wings D to handle, though their D has been stellar for the majority of the season and playoffs. We have not only 1 line capable of putting the puck in the net - all 4 lines have proven that they can get the job done. I do expect the Wings to bring a physical game and as the Pens proved against the Cryers, they can handle that style of play as well.

I am not all that impressed with Osgood. If the Pens barrage him with shots early and often, I see him getting shaky and giving up some garbage goals. I'm sure Therrien and Yeo are working on their cookbook full of recipes to neutralize the Wings top line (or at least limit their activity) and get their offensive game plan in order.

Fleury is playing at the top of his game now and I can see that continuing. The kid exuberates confidence and that is an excellent quality to have in a goaltender going into the Cup finals. Our D needs to keep playing as strong as they have and keep the Wings out of the middle and away from the front of the net.

Last but not least, as said above, the Pens need to stay out of the sin bin and limit the Wings' chances as much as possible.

Give us what ya got Wings - we'll be ready for ya! :thumbsup::tt03:

I have all of the confidence in the world in our young Pens and feel that hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup this season is their destiny. Pens in 6. :drink:

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
One other thing I noticed about the wings is that they tend to drop their defense back closer to the goal - not exactly you want to be doing when the Pens have some rocket shooters coming down the ice...so detroit will have to determine what they want to do - protect the net from the short range shooters or come out and challenge the long range missiles!!!

PENS IN 6!!!

BettisFan
05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
as bad as it sounds i am hoping for it to go to a game 6 or 7 and we win it at home, i will then be in town and able to watch!

Lord Stiller
05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
I think the key for the Pens will be to shutdown Detroit's top line which features Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Staal has been our shutdown guy all year. I'd like to see a line of Ruutu - Staal - Talbot face them. I think that line can shutdown the Zetterberg/Datsyuk.

That leaves Laraque - Hall - Kennedy for our 4th line. This juggles the lines a little but I think it will work

The redwings dont have great scoring depth. This way we can stack up our 3rd line and still have a competent 4th line to eat up some minutes

Edman
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
A Split in Detroit is the best-case scenario for the Penguins. All they need is to win one game there and they're in good shape.

Counselor
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
A Split in Detroit is the best-case scenario for the Penguins. All they need is to win one game there and they're in good shape.

Agreed. That takes away home ice. This is certainly going to be a battle of the heavy weights----neither team has seen the likes of the other in the playoffs.

The teams are fairly evenly matched, but I have a firm belief in the Pens young legs and unfailing WILL to WIN. Pens in 6!

stlrtruck
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Agreed. That takes away home ice. This is certainly going to be a battle of the heavy weights----neither team has seen the likes of the other in the playoffs.

The teams are fairly evenly matched, but I have a firm belief in the Pens young legs and unfailing WILL to WIN. Pens in 6!

I would disagree in that I think the Pens have met more physical teams in the playoffs and they have continued to out skate their opponents. While I don't think the Pens have faced such a potent offense as the Redwings, I truly believe the Redwings have not faced such a well rounded team as the Pens.

Counselor
05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I would disagree in that I think the Pens have met more physical teams in the playoffs and they have continued to out skate their opponents. While I don't think the Pens have faced such a potent offense as the Redwings, I truly believe the Redwings have not faced such a well rounded team as the Pens.

Sorry--when I said heavyweights I meant the most talented teams in the league---not necessarily the most physical--sorry if I wasn't clear.

The Duke
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM

yeah. the home streak can't be broken though, if they lose at home it could get even more difficult

lets go pens! expose the wings :tt:

SteelCityMan786
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM

They have even done that in the early parts of the series prior to this one. I wouldn't be stunned if it happens again.

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I think this is a pretty good summation of the upcoming series:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=363887

No. 1 Detroit Red Wings vs. No. 2 Pittsburgh Penguins
NHL.com Staff May 20, 2008, 9:20 AM EDT

SERIES BREAKDOWN:

THE SKINNY

Both these teams managed to finish at or near the top of the NHL standings in 2007-08 despite injuries to key players. Detroit hit some bumps in the road during the second half of the season without captain Nicklas Lidstrom and offensive defenseman Brian Rafalski, while Pittsburgh played a large chunk of its season without captain Sidney Crosby and No. 1 goalie Marc-Andre Fleury due to ankle injuries.

"This is why we're moving on -- it's a total team effort. Everybody was talking about how Pav (Datsyuk) and Hank (Zetterberg) have to dominate a hockey game, and the one thing we kept saying is, 'We know they're going to do that. We just need some secondary scoring.' That's when we're at our best." - Detroit center Kris DraperSeveral weeks into the playoff journey, two hockey-crazed cities will duke it out through the two weeks to determine who will be the 2008 Stanley Cup champion. As a hockey fan, you truly couldn't ask for much more than this.

Truth be told, this series pits Goliath vs. Goliath. Both teams possess superstar forwards, as Crosby is joined by Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa. On the opposite side of the ice, the Red Wings counter with phenomenal two-way forwards Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk, who combined for 189 points during the regular season and are finalists for the Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward.

Both teams have also dominated their opponents in the postseason. The Penguins stormed through the first three rounds, going undefeated at Mellon Arena en route to a 12-2 record. They took a 3-0 series lead on the Philadelphia Flyers in the Eastern Conference Finals, lost Game 4 and then eliminated any doubt with a 6-0 drubbing of their in-state rivals on home ice in Game 5 to advance to the final round.

"It's nice to have an Eastern Conference championship, but I don't think it means much. I don't think when we started the Playoffs we were like, 'Hey, let's win the East.'" - Pittsburgh center Maxime TalbotDetroit also took a 3-0 series lead in the Western Conference Finals before dropping Games 4 and 5 to the Dallas Stars -- their first two losses after a franchise-record nine-game winning streak. But just like Pittsburgh, the Wings enjoyed a convincing win in the clincher, coasting past the Stars 4-1 in Game 6 at Dallas' American Airlines Center.

CRYSTAL BALL

Detroit will win if -- The Red Wings skate with the Penguins. Unlike previous rounds, the Penguins' skill level won't be miles ahead of their opponent. Detroit must enter the series believing it can go toe-to-toe with Pittsburgh and get the proper matchups against Crosby and Malkin, who will do everything they can to keep goalie Chris Osgood busy. Detroit could help itself by finding a way to win at Mellon Arena -- something Ottawa, the New York Rangers and Philadelphia were unable to accomplish in the first three rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. While the Red Wings have home-ice advantage in this series, they'd certainly do themselves a service by picking up a win or two in the Steel City.

Detroit will also be counting on All-Star netminder Chris Osgood – who replaced Dominik Hasek as the go-to guy in the middle of Round 1 – to continue his solid play. The 35-year-old allowed just nine goals in four games against Colorado.

Pittsburgh will win if -- Jordan Staal continues to play an offensive role, which would take some pressure off the shoulders of Crosby and Malkin. While Staal only scored 12 goals during the regular season, the 19-year-old center has picked up his offensive game considerably in the playoffs with six goals in 14 games.

Also, Marc-Andre Fleury -- who has a 1.70 goals-against average this postseason -- must be as reliable as he's been through the first three rounds. Fleury made a couple of huge saves against the Flyers early in Game 5 before the Penguins pulled away. Pittsburgh has clearly fed off the momentum its goaltender has provided. Fleury has three shutouts this postseason.

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
well i get to be at game 1 saturday at the joe..(yea me!!!!) the wings fans are already crying about how the refs will be calling penalties if the wings so much as look at crosby. could you guys please win the first two games at the joe so you can shut up those annoying red wing fans..(my son included..lol)

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
well i get to be at game 1 saturday at the joe..(yea me!!!!) the wings fans are already crying about how the refs will be calling penalties if the wings so much as look at crosby. could you guys please win the first two games at the joe so you can shut up those annoying red wing fans..(my son included..lol)

Good for you. :thumbsup:

Gee - for you not being a hockey fan or having any team affiliation, you've been hittin' the Wings playoff games. :scratchchin:

TackleMeBen
05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Good for you. :thumbsup:

Gee - for you not being a hockey fan or having any team affiliation, you've been hittin' the Wings playoff games. :scratchchin:
only b/c the guy i am seeing has season tickets. other than that i would staying at home with the kiddies..lol. but i am not going to turn down a chance to see your pens take down the might red wings:wink02:

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
only b/c the guy i am seeing has season tickets. other than that i would staying at home with the kiddies..lol. but i am not going to turn down a chance to see your pens take down the might red wings:wink02:

So - it's safe to assume that you will be cheering for the Pens at the Joe? Whose shirt you gonna wear?

TackleMeBen
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
So - it's safe to assume that you will be cheering for the Pens at the Joe? Whose shirt you gonna wear?
after listening to the red wing fans all day on the radio, its very safe to assume i will be cheering for your pens saturday night. i will even give a big yell for you :hug:. that is a good question? can i get by with wearing my steelers jersey???:chuckle:

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
after listening to the red wing fans all day on the radio, its very safe to assume i will be cheering for your pens saturday night. i will even give a big yell for you :hug:. that is a good question? can i get by with wearing my steelers jersey???:chuckle:

You are going to cheer for the Pens and the guy you are seeing is a Wings fan? Wow - what c-c-c-c-c-courage! :chuckle:

http://www.vegalleries.com/old_site/misccels/38wizard02.jpg

You won't need to yell for me - if the Pens play the way I know they can and will, you'll hear me in Detroit.

fansince'76
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
YAY! (lol)....:smile:

BettisFan
05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
How long do you all think this series will go? Also when we win it what can we expect to happen in the burgh? The last time we won the cup i was living in the burgh and now as i move back here we go again!

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
How long do you all think this series will go? Also when we win it what can we expect to happen in the burgh? The last time we won the cup i was living in the burgh and now as i move back here we go again!

Definitely 6 or 7 games. These two teams are the creme de creme of the NHL and it's going to be a battle.

Hopefully when we win the Cup, I hope the fans exercise good judgment and don't tear up the city. I never understood for the life of me what that accomplishes. I'm sure the Pittsburgh popo will be ready.

BettisFan
05-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Definitely 6 or 7 games. These two teams are the creme de creme of the NHL and it's going to be a battle.

Hopefully when we win the Cup, I hope the fans exercise good judgment and don't tear up the city. I never understood for the life of me what that accomplishes. I'm sure the Pittsburgh popo will be ready.

Yea when we won the SB in '05 the riots were crazy :tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
You are going to cheer for the Pens and the guy you are seeing is a Wings fan? Wow - what c-c-c-c-c-courage! :chuckle:

http://www.vegalleries.com/old_site/misccels/38wizard02.jpg

You won't need to yell for me - if the Pens play the way I know they can and will, you'll hear me in Detroit.
thanks. i will be listening for you then :wink02:. yes he is a big red wings fan and lions fan... at least he isnt a pats fan :flap:

HometownGal
05-20-2008, 06:16 PM
yes he is a big red wings fan and lions fan... at least he isnt a pats fan :flap:

If he was a Pats fan, life sure wouldn't be a ding-a-derry. :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
05-20-2008, 06:19 PM
If he was a Pats fan, life sure wouldn't be a ding-a-derry. :chuckle:
i dont know if i would be seeing him if he were.... and he isnt going to like me rooting for the pens.

SteelCityMan786
05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
i dont know if i would be seeing him if he were.... and he isnt going to like me rooting for the pens.

Just stick it to him! That's what I'd say. You'll probably get some laughs out of his reaction. :toofunny:

TackleMeBen
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Just stick it to him! That's what I'd say. You'll probably get some laughs out of his reaction. :toofunny:

listen to you steelman, getting me in trouble with my man..shame shame shame on you... :sofunny:. i think i might have to me a sign that says go pittsburgh. :flap:

X-Terminator
05-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Just wear a Red Wings shirt with a Pens hat - that way, you can keep your man happy AND still get the attention from the thousands of real, true blue Pens fans likely to be in attendance! :thumbsup::chuckle:

TackleMeBen
05-21-2008, 04:49 AM
Just wear a Red Wings shirt with a Pens hat - that way, you can keep your man happy AND still get the attention from the thousands of real, true blue Pens fans likely to be in attendance! :thumbsup::chuckle:
i dont own anything that says red wings.lol. and i am not going to spend my money on anything either :wink02:

HometownGal
05-21-2008, 06:59 AM
An interesting breakdown of the Pens/Red Wings series by ESPN's Scott Burnside who picks the Pens in 7. :tt03:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3404234

Stanley Cup finals breakdown: Red Wings vs. Penguins

By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com
Updated: May 20, 2008, 2:52 AM ET

There is often debate about which Stanley Cup matchup might be best for the greater good of the NHL: big market, small market, Canada, West Coast, East Coast.

There's no right answer (just wrong ones, more often than not), but no matter how you cut it, the 2008 Stanley Cup finals have all the makings of a classic matchup between some of the most skilled players in the game.

The Detroit Red Wings are trying to win their fourth Stanley Cup since 1997. They are led by captain Nicklas Lidstrom, who will make his case as the greatest defenseman of all time before he's done. The Pittsburgh Penguins, meanwhile, are led by the finest 1-2 punch in the NHL in Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Pittsburgh is in the finals for the first time since 1992, when now-owner Mario Lemieux was leading the club to the second of back-to-back Cup wins. The Red Wings and Pens are the only teams to successfully defend a Cup championship since that year (Detroit won in 1997 and 1998).

While the Red Wings wobbled a bit in the first round (versus Nashville) and the West finals (Dallas), the Penguins will hit the finals boasting a 12-2 postseason record, just slightly more impressive than the Wings' 12-4 record.

1. Asked and answered. You'd think folks would be talking about a goaltending duel. After all, Detroit's Chris Osgood had the top goals-against average (1.65) and third-best save percentage (.927) heading into a sensational outing Monday versus the Stars and Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury had a 1.70 GAA and .938 save percentage after three rounds.

Yet both netminders are still struggling for respect and you can bet many will be asking if one, or both, will fold under the pressure of being in the finals. It says here goaltending will be a factor, but only in a good way. Osgood has been here before, winning as a backup to Mike Vernon in 1997 and as a starter in 1998. He's been stellar in relief of Dominik Hasek, who went sideways in Game 3 of the opening round against Nashville. Osgood, now 10-2, hasn't faced a ton of shots (fewer than 22 a night on average), but he's been good when needed (witness his 15-save performance in the third period of Monday's Game 6).

Fleury represents the more impressive of the two, given this is just his second playoff experience. You can count on one hand the number of questionable goals Fleury has allowed this postseason. When the team has needed timely saves, he has provided them as he did early in Sunday's 6-0 series-clinching victory over Philadelphia. He has shown nothing approaching nerves, although he will face a much more talented offensive team than he has seen in the first three rounds. Still, the Pens should hit the finals with a slight edge between the pipes.

2. Wither "The Mule?" Both of these teams are loaded when it comes to offense, but if there is a chink in the Wings' armor, it is their scoring balance up front. Since goal machine Johan Franzen went down with concussion-like symptoms after the Wings' second-round sweep of Colorado, Detroit has struggled at times to produce offense (the Wings scored two or fewer goals three times in six games versus the Stars). Franzen still leads all players with 12 goals and five game-winners. Without him, the pressure on the Wings' top line of Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom is significant. Shut them down, as the Stars did in the middle of the West finals, and the door will be open for the Penguins, whose offensive depth is so impressive. If Franzen comes back (he hasn't been cleared to practice, according to reports out of Detroit), the offensive table will be quickly leveled.

3. Pick your poison. We haven't seen a team boast this much world-class talent down the middle since maybe Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg were in their prime in Colorado. Start with Crosby, who centers the Pens' "1A" line. Then go to Malkin, who centers line "1B." The Wings will have their hands full regardless of how good their defense is (and it's plenty good). Crosby and Malkin have combined for 40 points in 14 postseason games, and Crosby will hit the finals tied with Zetterberg for the playoffs scoring lead. Almost lost in the shuffle is Pittsburgh third-line center Jordan Staal, who had a terrific series against Philadelphia (four goals). Although his grandfather passed away in the middle of the East finals, Staal is playing like a man possessed at age 19. All three spend considerable time on the power play, which ranks second in postseason efficiency. The challenge for Detroit coach Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter will be in getting out the defensive matchup he wants against either Crosby or Malkin. Watch for Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski to play against Crosby and Niklas Kronwall and Brad Stuart against Malkin.

4. The thin blue line. Talking about the Penguins' blue line has almost become urban legend. At the start of the playoffs, the Penguins' blueliners were supposed to be their Achilles' heel (that, and Fleury) and their team defense was thought to be suspect. But the stats suggest the opposite: Pittsburgh has allowed an NHL-best 1.86 goals against per game. The Penguins have also consistently built leads and defended them with sound play from the goal on out. That said, the Wings will try to put as much pressure as possible on the Penguins' D. Hal Gill has enjoyed a strong playoffs and was especially effective in the second round in shutting down Jaromir Jagr. But he is still Hal Gill, and if the Wings can pressure him into overhandling the puck, that's a bad thing for the Penguins. Ryan Whitney and Kris Letang are a talented young defensive duo, but lack experience. Watch for the top duo of Sergei Gonchar and Brooks Orpik to draw the assignment of trying to shut down the Wings' big line.

5. The Big Bang theory. One of the ways to beat a team like the Penguins is to keep the puck away from them, and the Red Wings are one of the best puck-possession teams in the NHL. Another way is to knock the Pens off the puck. Philadelphia tried with limited success, as did the New York Rangers. Detroit does boast one element that will be new to the Penguins in these playoffs, and that's a big-time open-ice hitter like Kronwall. The talented Swede, who is enjoying his first injury-free playoffs for the Wings, has been a difference-maker at both ends of the ice. He leads all playoff defenders with 12 points, one more than Gonchar. But he also has the potential to deliver devastating hits and punish opposing forwards in the Detroit zone. If he can make life interesting for players like Malkin, who likes to weave in and out of traffic moving through the neutral zone, that will be a bonus for the Wings.

• Defense vs. defense: If, as we imagine, this is going to be a clash of skilled titans, then the Wings will start the series with a huge edge on the back end. Lidstrom, Kronwall and Rafalski have combined for 32 points. While Gonchar is steady, the production from the back end drops off pretty quickly with Whitney (six points) and Rob Scuderi (three). That's a mismatch the Penguins will have to compensate for with more scoring from their forwards or exceptional team defense that takes away the Red Wings' threat from the back end.

• Red Wings: Zetterberg, who had two points in Monday's series-clinching victory over Dallas, has points in 10 of his past 11 playoff games. He has three game winners. Valtteri Filppula has one point in his past five games.

• Penguins: Crosby has nine multipoint games this spring. Gary Roberts has played in just six of the Pens' 14 postseason games after suffering a groin injury and then a mild case of pneumonia. He did not play in Game 5 on Sunday, but did practice the day before. He has also been a healthy scratch this postseason.

For the record, we are 10-4 through the first three rounds and have successfully picked the Penguins and Red Wings to reach the Cup finals. All of which means nothing, but we thought we'd say it anyway. Even though the Red Wings boast a much more talented blue line (at least on paper), we like Fleury's toothy confidence and think the Wings aren't going to have an answer for Crosby, Malkin and Staal down the middle. In the end, it will be the Penguins. Penguins in seven.

stlrtruck
05-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Nice article except one thing..

PENS IN 6!!!

lilyoder6
05-21-2008, 09:30 AM
alot of ppl has the red wings winning since they have the exp and the pens don't... i hope the pens come out and show they belong in the stanley cup finals

stlrtruck
05-21-2008, 10:06 AM
alot of ppl has the red wings winning since they have the exp and the pens don't... i hope the pens come out and show they belong in the stanley cup finals

One thing people haven't mentioned (or atleast that I haven't read about) is that in the last two series the Penguins have out skated their opponents, meaning they've had better legs late in the game (or the entire game).

While detroit may have the experience, I will rest on the strength of our young men - the ones with the endurance and the legs.

Dodt
05-21-2008, 10:31 AM
any chance sid will grow a decent beard by game 4.

The Duke
05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
man, all I'm hearing about the wings is their defensemen are really good and will be a threat to the pens young scorers. are they really that good? haven't watched many detroit games

sounds like they say the pens should be intimidated. I hope they aren't and come out to kick some ass :tt02:

stlrtruck
05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
man, all I'm hearing about the wings is their defensemen are really good and will be a threat to the pens young scorers. are they really that good? haven't watched many detroit games

sounds like they say the pens should be intimidated. I hope they aren't and come out to kick some ass :tt02:

They've got some heavy hitters on their squad. Nothing illegal about their hits - just solid coming at you, old school, hockey!

The problem for the red wings is that we've played two teams that tried to out physical us. They really haven't had someone hitting them back or a team with the offensive fire power of the Penguins.

TackleMeBen
05-21-2008, 03:10 PM

the wings dmen are very good. however they are older and i think that with the speed of malkin and crosby they may get more than what they bargained for. lidstrom has won the norris trophy the last 5 yrs in a row i think.. its about to be six yrs in a row.

SteelCityMan786
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
the wings dmen are very good. however they are older and i think that with the speed of malkin and crosby they may get more than what they bargained for. lidstrom has won the norris trophy the last 5 yrs in a row i think.. its about to be six yrs in a row.

Sergei should be getting more Defensemen of the year honors.

As for The Red Wings Dmen, they're going to have a lot of trouble with Malkin and Crosby UNLESS they end up finding a way to shut the Penguins Down early. IF The Penguins get of to a 3-1 start in this series or something along those lines, the Penguins will have given themselves A LOT of breathing room.

X-Terminator
05-21-2008, 09:03 PM

No he hasn't, and no it isn't. Lidstrom has won it the past 2 seasons and has 5 overall. Scott Niedermayer won it in 03-04 while still a Devil.

HometownGal
05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
:thumbsup::tt03:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08143/883974-100.stm

Fans can watch road Cup games at Mellon Arena
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh Penguins will open Mellon Arena for the first two games of the Stanley Cup final against the Detroit Red Wings.

The games will be broadcast on the arena's Jumbotron. Seating will be general admission at $5. Concession and souvenir stands will be open. Tickets will go on sale on today at 10 a.m., available online at www.ticketmaster.com and the Mellon Arena's gate one box office. The team said all proceeds will go to the Mario Lemieux Foundation for cancer and neonatal research.

The video screen in front of Gate 3 will not be operating for the road games. It will be available to fans for the Pens' first two home games of the series (Games 3 and 4).

Game 1 is Saturday, May 24 at 8 p.m., and Game 2 is Monday, May 26 at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. on both nights.

HometownGal
05-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Little or nothing is ever heard about the Pens assistant coaches. This is an excellent read on the "backbone" of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Enjoy! :tt03:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_568722.html

Pens' low-profile assistants proving worth
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mike Yeo would rather keep a low profile.
Gilles Meloche prefers to only occasionally talk about his job.

But Andre Savard is a little bit different.

Like his fellow Penguins assistant coaches, he is a video-room rat with firm fundamental beliefs about the sport he loves, and he is having the time of his life guiding this run to the Stanley Cup final.

Savard, though, is perhaps the most consistently misidentified hockey man alive.
"People think I'm Serge or Denis, and they all think I've won the Stanley Cup, and that this is old habit for me," Savard said. "I guess it's a misconception everybody has about me. I'm the Savard that hasn't won the Cup."

The Penguins can take care of that by knocking off the Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup final, which opens Saturday at Joe Louis Arena.

A championship would prove sweet for Savard, Yeo and Meloche - possibly the least-heralded assistant coaches in the NHL.

Sure, the trio is great now that the Penguins are 12-2 in the playoffs and four wins from their first title since 1992. But it was not long ago that Yeo's power-play design was questioned, Savard's defense corps criticized and Meloche's handling of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury frequently frowned upon.

"It just goes to show that you really can't control what people think," Yeo said. "I guess that's not true, though. I mean, the only way you can control what people think is by winning. That takes care of everything."

Winning the Cup would mean everything to coach Michel Therrien and his assistants, but not because a championship would legitimize their standing in hockey circles.

"One of Michel's favorite things to say is that the only opinions that matter are the one from our dressing room and offices," Savard said. "We are all on that same page. We never talk about what other people think - at least I don't remember those conversations."

Neither does Yeo.

"Since we've been together, we've been too busy trying to figure out how to win the next game," Yeo said. "That takes up most of our time."

They have figured out something.

Yeo, a six-year assistant with the Penguins' AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton prior to joining Therrien in Pittsburgh on Dec. 15, 2005, has steered the power play to a top-five standard.

The Penguins ranked fifth at 20.3 percent in 2006-07 and fourth at 20.4 percent during this past regular season. They rate second in playoffs at 24.6 percent.

Savard's knowledge was gleaned from 12 NHL seasons as a player and numerous front-office jobs, including two-plus years as general manager in Montreal, where defensive hockey is as appreciated as defensive football in Pittsburgh.

"Andre knows a lot," Yeo said. "He really knows defense."

Savard joined Therrien's staff on July 3, 2006. The Penguins allowed 246 goals in his first season, or 70 fewer than they had the previous season.

They surrendered just 212 goals during this past regular season. And their 1.86 goals-against average in the playoffs is best entering the Cup final.

The stellar play of Fleury has contributed greatly to the Penguins' newfound reputation as a great defensive team.

Knowing that brings a bashful smile to Meloche's face.

This is also his second full season on Therrien's staff - though, his service to the Penguins as an amateur scout and occasional goaltending coach since 1989 makes it seem as though he's been around forever.

Meloche joked that the same can be said of Fleury, who is 23 but has been with the Penguins since they chose him first overall in the 2003 entry draft.

Fleury has performed at an unrivaled level since returning from a right high-ankle sprain in late February. Meloche considers that a crowing achievement for his NHL career, which spanned 18 seasons as a league goaltender and includes two Cup wins as an assistant with the Penguins.

"I played in the (1981) Cup final with Minnesota, and I was here in 1991 and 1992, but this ride has been different because I appreciate seeing Marc-Andre take baby steps toward this," Meloche said. "This is the best time of my life."

Yeo and Savard feel similar, though Savard said the time has come to join those Cup-winning Savards to which he is no relation.

He remains haunted by losing the 1974 Cup final to Philadelphia while with Boston.

"It seems like a long time ago, but not long enough that I don't remember everything," Savard said. "This is my chance for some new memories. I want to hold (the Cup). I want to have that picture to show people the rest of my life."

HometownGal
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
ESPN "experts" are split on their picks for the winner of the Stanley Cup finals. :thumbsup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3407741

SteelCityMan786
05-22-2008, 03:56 PM
:thumbsup::tt03:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08143/883974-100.stm

Fans can watch road Cup games at Mellon Arena
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh Penguins will open Mellon Arena for the first two games of the Stanley Cup final against the Detroit Red Wings.

The games will be broadcast on the arena's Jumbotron. Seating will be general admission at $5. Concession and souvenir stands will be open. Tickets will go on sale on today at 10 a.m., available online at www.ticketmaster.com and the Mellon Arena's gate one box office. The team said all proceeds will go to the Mario Lemieux Foundation for cancer and neonatal research.

The video screen in front of Gate 3 will not be operating for the road games. It will be available to fans for the Pens' first two home games of the series (Games 3 and 4).

Game 1 is Saturday, May 24 at 8 p.m., and Game 2 is Monday, May 26 at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. on both nights.

I was hoping they might pull this off. LETS GO PENS!!!!!

HometownGal
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM
This is an awesome read on our Pens. Very positive and inspiring! :thumbsup::tt03:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/22/five-reasons-the-pittsburgh-penguins-can-win-the-stanley-cup/

TackleMeBen
05-22-2008, 06:42 PM
No he hasn't, and no it isn't. Lidstrom has won it the past 2 seasons and has 5 overall. Scott Niedermayer won it in 03-04 while still a Devil.
James Norris Memorial Trophy (2001, 2002, 2003, 2006) he only has won it 4 yrs. sorry.

lilyoder6
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
can't wait til the series start.. this series is going to be a amazing

tony hipchest
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
heres an interesting tidbit that shows what a hockey town pittsburgh is.

the game 7 redwings/stars matchup earned higher ratings in the pittsburgh market than it did in dallas. 4.0 vs 3.1.

in the dallas market the spurs/hornets game drew higher ratings than their own team's game 7 :jawdrop:

pittsburghp8baller
05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Wings, Pens poised for best Final ever

The intrigue and excitement surrounding the Stanley Cup Final between the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins has been unbearable for four of the NHL’s most recognizable TV voices.

Mike Emrick, Ed Olczyk, Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuire, all members of NBC’s NHL broadcast team, proved that on Wednesday during an informal media conference call promoting what is sure to be one of the more entertaining Stanley Cup Finals in recent memory.

"I cannot recall more stars in a Final since 1987, when Edmonton had five of the best," said the always insightful Emrick. "But they were all on one team and all those guys, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier and Grant Fuhr, are in the Hall of Fame now. This time, we have the stars divided among two teams, and the hockey gods are smiling so wide that you can count their missing teeth."

Milbury feels Detroit's experience bodes well for the Wings' chances in a series of this magnitude.

"Can the enthusiasm and talent of the Penguins overcome the experience and talent of the Red Wings?" he asked. "It's a fascinating series in that those who always thought experience prevails might have to reconsider. But I'd have to give the edge to the Wings, but not by much, since Pittsburgh is so talented, so exciting and so much fun to cover."

The opening two games will be played Saturday and Monday at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit and telecast on VERSUS (8 p.m. ET). The remaining games in the best-of-seven series, beginning Wednesday, will be broadcast on NBC (8 p.m. ET).

McGuire likes the depth on the Penguins' roster and is extremely impressed with both coaches.

"Both teams are byproducts of the new NHL," McGuire said. "They both utilize the stretch pass, they both have huge amounts of skill, they both have young players with tremendous intensity, and perhaps the biggest thing, they both have solid coaching. I give a little bit of an advantage to (Mike) Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter in Detroit because he’s coached in the Final before with Anaheim (2003).

"We can celebrate the star power and the athleticism in goal, but it's going to be tough for Detroit to match up 1-2-3 at center — (Sidney) Crosby, (Evgeni) Malkin, (Jordan) Staal and then, as a fourth center, there's (Maxime) Talbot. So Detroit is going to have to match up with Pittsburgh's overall depth if they are to be successful."

Emrick admits this type of matchup is just what the game and its fans need.

"They don't call Detroit 'Hockeytown' for nothing, but you also have a contrast here in that Detroit may be more experienced, but Pittsburgh is the bigger of the two teams," Emrick said. "The Penguins didn't have to work as hard as Detroit to get there, but both teams have had plenty of rest. I think the stars are aligned for the NHL to grow in its popularity in a lot of places where, maybe, it hasn't been so popular. It will have a great chance now."

McGuire took it one step further when he stated this year's Final is just the tip of the iceberg to future Stanley Cup classics.

"Never before in the history of the League have we showcased this much talent in such a short period of time, and it will continue to grow," McGuire said of the League's talent level. "The 2008 Draft and upcoming 2009 Entry Draft are off the charts in terms of young talent, so this is not just a one-hit wonder kind of a Final. I honestly believe this is poised to go for a long period of time, and if the NHL were a stock coming out of the lockout, that would have been the time to buy because there has been great young talent emerging all over the League."

Pittsburgh made a huge splash at the trade deadline when it acquired wingers Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis from Atlanta and defenseman Hal Gill from Toronto. Olczyk and McGuire feel the Penguins would not be in the position they are today without Hossa.

"Marian is a very underrated defensive player," Olczyk said. "He can kill penalties and put a lot of pressure on people with the way he forechecks. I don’t think he gets enough credit for the ability he has, not only as an offensive player but as a two-way performer.’’

Hossa, 29, already has collected a career-high 19 playoff points, including a personal-high nine goals, in 14 games.

"His nickname when he played in Portland (of the Western Hockey League) was 'Hello and Goodbye,' because of his speed," McGuire said. "He'd say hello to you before blowing right by. He has brought that unbelievable speed to the Pens, and he puts opposing forwards in panic mode because of that speed and size.

"But Marian also brings one other thing that's very important. He brings a failed resume that he wants to prove is not correct. He's proud of what he's accomplished on an international level and now wants to prove he could do it in the NHL."

Then there's the debate over who is the better player, Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby or Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg, who are tied for leading scorer in the playoffs with 21 points.

"Whereas Crosby is unique in terms of his power, Zetterberg has that intelligence with the puck," Milbury offered.

"Crosby is as solid as a sledgehammer, and the two guys in Detroit (Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk) are as skillful as surgeons," McGuire said. "They'll rip you apart with surgical precision, but Crosby has this (Peter) Forsberg thing going where he has shown a tremendous amount of lower-body strength and is able to dominate as a result."

Olczyk knows each player is extremely difficult to contain.

"It's different when you’re trying to defend these guys face-to-face, but when they get you on their backside and tuck the puck away, they are so elusive," he said. "You want to take away their time and space, but when they have their back to you, it's almost impossible to get the puck back. And there aren’t many players who can do it better than Crosby, Zetterberg and Datsyuk.’’

While Emrick considers the debate a fun topic, he prefers to take the high road.

"Who cares who's better," he said. "It was some 20 years ago that people raised the question, 'Who's better, Gretzky or (Mario) Lemieux?' I say, 'Who cares?' They're both in the same solar system and we get to watch them and we're sure to have fun doing so. It's going to be outstanding watching all these guys on the same sheet of ice for as many as seven times."

Contact Mike Morreale at mmorreale@nhl.com.

Lord Stiller
05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_568946.html

BettisFan
05-23-2008, 12:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3409330
You can buy an octopus next week at Wholey's Fish Market in Pittsburgh -- unless you're wearing Detroit Red Wings gear or otherwise let slip that you're visiting from Michigan for the game.
Red Wings fans, known for their traditional octopus toss during the Stanley Cup playoffs, are welcome to buy any fish in the store, Dan Wholey, who owns the market, told the Detroit Free Press. But he won't sell them an octopus.

You see, Wholey does not want to see the Red Wings fans' tradition of flinging the eight-legged sea creatures carried out at Mellon Arena when the Pittsburgh Penguins host the Stanley Cup finals games 3 and 4 on Wednesday and May 30.

The Stanley Cup finals begin Saturday in Detroit, with Game 2 on Monday.

"I have the utmost respect for all the people of Detroit," Wholey said, according to the report. "They are great citizens and great hockey fans, just like I am. But I'm a Penguins fan first and foremost and I want to see the Penguins win, period."

If that means checking ID and listening for customers with Midwestern accents, that's what he's willing to do.

"Anyone who comes in here with a Red Wings jersey, they're allowed to buy anything in the store, just not the octopus," he said.

The Detroit octopus-throwing tradition started in the 1950s, to symbolize the eight wins needed at the time to win the Stanley Cup.

SteelCityMan786
05-23-2008, 02:56 PM
They shouldn't sell Octupus period until the end of the Stanley Cup Finals.

TackleMeBen
05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
They shouldn't sell Octupus period until the end of the Stanley Cup Finals.

lol..:sofunny::sofunny:, there was a dj in detroit this morning who has a dj friend in pittsburgh and he was on the radio this morning and they were trying to make a bet.. and the guy from detroit said that if detroit wins that he wants an autographed motorcycle helmet from big ben.

SteelCityMan786
05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
And I guess the Pittsburgh DJ wants a Free Ford car if the Penguins win?

TackleMeBen
05-23-2008, 04:34 PM
And I guess the Pittsburgh DJ wants a Free Ford car if the Penguins win?
lol. i didnt hear what he wanted. i was busy getting ready to go on a field trip with my son today... maybe free octopus?:sofunny:

HometownGal
05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Milbury feels Detroit's experience bodes well for the Wings' chances in a series of this magnitude.

"Can the enthusiasm and talent of the Penguins overcome the experience and talent of the Red Wings?" he asked.

Most definitely and I believe it will, along with the Pens having a group of young, strong legs to carry them through 3 period of intense hockey in each and every game played. The Wings are more experienced in terms of both NHL and playoff experience, but I think these young Pens have more than proven that they can run with the big (and in this case OLD) dogs. :tt03:

BettisFan
05-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I am so pumped!

pittsburghp8baller
05-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I am so pumped!

thats a complete understatement from what im feeling, i dont even kno the words to describe wat im feeling.

i was 3 and 4 for our first two cups so as u can imagine my memory of those games r pretty limited.

ive watched every stanley cup finals over the last 10+ years and this is the first time it will actually mean something to me

TackleMeBen
05-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Not in Game 1, but soon Franzen will create headaches for Penguins

The Mule is back. Sort of. Johan Franzen practiced Friday, after two weeks of sitting out with "concussion-like symptoms," and he did not complain of headaches or say he was proud to be a Penguin or anything like that. So he's almost ready to play in a game again.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=sports

this could bode well for the pens with frazen out of todays game...

Edman
05-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Ah, the day of the big Game 1. Waited all week.

I said it before. If the Pens can take at least one game at Joe Louis, they'll be in great shape.

Detroit may have the president trophy, but they haven't been overly dominant in these playoffs.The Penguins can take them. Go get 'em Pens!

TackleMeBen
05-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Ah, the day of the big Game 1. Waited all week.

I said it before. If the Pens can take at least one game at Joe Louis, they'll be in great shape.

Detroit may have the president trophy, but they haven't been overly dominant in these playoffs.The Penguins can take them. Go get 'em Pens!

if the pens get a split they will be doing well. if they come out 2-0 then they will be doing great :wink02:.

TackleMeBen
05-24-2008, 12:11 PM
this was in the morning paper today.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/bilde.jpg

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 12:22 PM
if the pens get a split they will be doing well. if they come out 2-0 then they will be doing great :wink02:.

Really? Say it aint so. :jawdrop:

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Not in Game 1, but soon Franzen will create headaches for Penguins

The Mule is back. Sort of. Johan Franzen practiced Friday, after two weeks of sitting out with "concussion-like symptoms," and he did not complain of headaches or say he was proud to be a Penguin or anything like that. So he's almost ready to play in a game again.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=sports

this could bode well for the pens with frazen out of todays game...

The Pens can beat the Wings with or without Franzen, so he doesn't concern me whatsoever. They just gotta keep playing their game and the rest will take care of itself.

TackleMeBen
05-24-2008, 01:50 PM
The Pens can beat the Wings with or without Franzen, so he doesn't concern me whatsoever. They just gotta keep playing their game and the rest will take care of itself.
i hope they just dont get caught up in all hype and just play like they can. dont blame me if they lose since i will be there tonight.

X-Terminator
05-24-2008, 03:54 PM
thats a complete understatement from what im feeling, i dont even kno the words to describe wat im feeling.

i was 3 and 4 for our first two cups so as u can imagine my memory of those games r pretty limited.

ive watched every stanley cup finals over the last 10+ years and this is the first time it will actually mean something to me

I was in high school back then, so I remember them quite well. The first year, I left my uncle's wedding reception early so that I wouldn't miss the game that night. And both years, I cut school so that I could be at the victory rallies at The Point in '91 and at Three Rivers Stadium in '92. Talk about fun times!

pittsburghp8baller
05-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I was in high school back then, so I remember them quite well. The first year, I left my uncle's wedding reception early so that I wouldn't miss the game that night. And both years, I cut school so that I could be at the victory rallies at The Point in '91 and at Three Rivers Stadium in '92. Talk about fun times!

i will most likely take a trip up there if their is a victory rally, but cant get ahead of myself, we are in for a very tough series

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Alright guys this is going to be amazing! I am so pumped extremely pumped!

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Stanley Cup finals begin in less than an hour (around 8:15 PM EST). I'm pumped up!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

I believe! :jammin::banana:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/2389387661_844f48fa82_o.jpg

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 07:00 PM
This is going to be a hard fought game but we got it!

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
yea baby its my boy mario lemieux in the ceremonial puck drop

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow we got the faceoff nice

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 07:21 PM
hell yea fluery

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 07:47 PM
well.......there we go amazing call thanks ref! No goal for Detroit!!!

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I think the Pens dominated the 1st period and the no-goal on the Wings was the correct call. Pens are firing at Osgood, but he has been stellar in net, as has Fleury. With Osgood, ya gotta go upstairs - he is very stingy down low.

I'd like to see the Pens a little more physical, quite honestly.

Pens will be on the PK to open the 2nd. Keep playing your game guys - you're doing great! :thumbsup::tt03:

X-Terminator
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
i hope they just dont get caught up in all hype and just play like they can. dont blame me if they lose since i will be there tonight.

Well, we'd need a scapegoat, so we'll just go ahead and blame you anyway :chuckle:

No score after one, but only because of a bad call, IMO, against Holmstrom. No way that was goalie interference - he was trying to get into position. I'm sure the "Bettman favors the Pens" crowd is up in arms over it, though. :coffee:

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 08:16 PM
No score after one, but only because of a bad call, IMO, against Holmstrom. No way that was goalie interference - he was trying to get into position. I'm sure the "Bettman favors the Pens" crowd is up in arms over it, though. :coffee:

I disagree with you 1000%. Holmstrom had the stick between Fleury's legs and was pulling outward - Fleury did not have an opportunity to make a play on that puck.

The Pens D has to get that big goon out from in front of Fleury every time they are down in our end. I really am enjoying the tempo of this game thus far!

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 08:22 PM
So far this game is really entertaining

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 08:31 PM
how many close goals can there be jeez

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
dam dam i could have stopped that goal you could see that from 100 miles away dang fluery

The Duke
05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
down 1-0 at the 3rd. could be worse

gotta admit, that detroit goal was amazing

they still have a chance, make them suffer :tt:

X-Terminator
05-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I disagree with you 1000%. Holmstrom had the stick between Fleury's legs and was pulling outward - Fleury did not have an opportunity to make a play on that puck.

The Pens D has to get that big goon out from in front of Fleury every time they are down in our end. I really am enjoying the tempo of this game thus far!

It didn't look that way to me - he did put his stick in his midsection for a brief second, but I don't think that interfered with Fleury. He just never saw the shot and didn't react as if he felt he was interfered with. But I do agree that they need to keep his big ass out of Fleury's face when they're in their zone.

1-0 Detroit after two, on a goal off a bad clear attempt and line change. I don't like to see wrap-around goals - Fleury got over just a hair late. But he is the reason why this game is still 1-0, as Detroit really carried the play in the 2nd period. Hopefully the Pens can come out and have a strong 3rd period, as they have all throughout the playoffs, and get this game tied at least.

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 09:04 PM
The Pens have to generate more O and get more SOG on Osgood. He's been a stone wall thus far, but if we get enough traffic in front of the net, I think we can put a couple in.

Damn it guys - stay out of the sin bin!!!

Third period coming up - this is usually the Pens' best period, so let's hope the trend continues. :tt03:

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 09:06 PM
we are behind by a lot in shots on goal.. this isnt looking come on pens

GBMelBlount
05-24-2008, 09:08 PM
What an intense game. Detroit looks VERY good. Good luck Pens.

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 09:12 PM
we are behind by a lot in shots on goal.. this isnt looking come on pens

Doesn't matter how many SOG either team has - it's the # that go in the net and what the final on the scoreboard shows. We need to get more SON and park Malone or Ruutu in front of the net when we're down in their end.

We were outplayed in the 2nd but have a group of fresh (and young) legs to start the 3rd. C'mon boys - composure, discipline and a few pucks in the net are on order here!

Damn it - Samuelsson scores again. 2-0 Wings. Have faith - it's not over.

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Detroit scores.... 2-0 Redwings

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Doesn't matter how many SOG either team has - it's the # that go in the net and what the final on the scoreboard shows. We need to get more SON and park Malone or Ruutu in front of the net when we're down in their end.

We were outplayed in the 2nd but have a group of fresh (and young) legs to start the 3rd. C'mon boys - composure, discipline and a few pucks in the net are on order here!

Damn it - Samuelsson scores again. 2-0 Wings. Have faith - it's not over.

You really think we can come back, i think its going to be crazy hard to come back this game we just arent clicking on offense, we cant let them take this one we will win it all

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
well its over guys 3-0 theres 3 minues left

BettisFan
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
4-0 12 seconds left jeez this is just embarrassing now

X-Terminator
05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, we pretty much got spanked tonight from the 2nd period on. Detroit looked very good, and didn't give the Pens any room at all. There's a reason why they're in the final, and they showed it tonight. But other than the PPG at the end, the Wings scored on broken/lucky plays.

But still, it's one game, and I'm confident that the adjustments will be made and the Pens will play desperate hockey, and hopefully take game 2. I know they aren't going to quit regardless, and I'm certainly not throwing in the towel. As good as the Wings looked tonight, they aren't invincible. They can be beaten.

SteelCityMan786
05-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Let's forget this pitiful performance and get ready for game 2.:jammin:

HometownGal
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, we pretty much got spanked tonight from the 2nd period on. Detroit looked very good, and didn't give the Pens any room at all. There's a reason why they're in the final, and they showed it tonight. But other than the PPG at the end, the Wings scored on broken/lucky plays.

But still, it's one game, and I'm confident that the adjustments will be made and the Pens will play desperate hockey, and hopefully take game 2. I know they aren't going to quit regardless, and I'm certainly not throwing in the towel. As good as the Wings looked tonight, they aren't invincible. They can be beaten.

That's the spirit! :thumbsup::drink:

Tough loss tonight and maybe the Pens needed to shake off the dingies. As they showed in the first period, they are quite capable of going neck to neck with the Wings.

The Wings D was just awesome for the last 30 minutes - they weren't giving the Pens anything and forcing them out of the middle. I was a bit disappointed that the Pens weren't hitting like they were in the Rags and Cryers series. We also have to start winning more faceoffs!!!!

I haven't wavered one bit in my belief that the Pens can beat this team but it isn't going to be as easy as our first 3 series. This is Cup hockey and the Wings showed tonight they're up to the challenge. I believe Therrien will get these guys fired up to rumble in Game #2 on Monday night and we're going to see a much more energized and fiery lot.

Mosca
05-24-2008, 10:09 PM
It's hard to score when you're playing the last two periods in your own end.

X-Terminator
05-24-2008, 10:20 PM
It's hard to score when you're playing the last two periods in your own end.

Yes, and the way you counter that is to get the puck in deep and get the forecheck/cycle going. The Wings aren't going to give you anything in the neutral zone or the middle of the ice because they are so good with stick checks and taking away passing lanes - you are going to have to generate offense down low around the net. Some of the best chances the Pens had tonight came from that area. If there's one adjustment they can and should make, that would be it.

Edman
05-24-2008, 10:35 PM
No excuses here. The Penguins were dominated by a team they rarely play. Detroit is a fine team, but the Penguins are better than they showed. MUCH better. They were not smart with the puck at all. Sloppy play all around. They were too busy trying to get over their own SCF jitters rather than overcome the Wings. And despite this, they held their own most of the game until the 3rd period. I will expect (and accept) nothing more than a better effort in Game 2. Detroit is a damned good team, but they're not invincible.

Detroit is in the finals for a reason, but the Penguins are here for a reason as well.

All those of you ready to jump off the bandwagon or place an order for championship T-Shirts (To the Wings fans) because of one game, get over yourselves.

X-Terminator
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
No excuses here. The Penguins were dominated by a team they rarely play. Detroit is a fine team, but the Penguins are better than they showed. MUCH better. They were not smart with the puck at all. Sloppy play all around. They were too busy trying to get over their own SCF jitters rather than overcome the Wings. And despite this, they held their own most of the game until the 3rd period. I will expect (and accept) nothing more than a better effort in Game 2. Detroit is a damned good team, but they're not invincible.

Detroit is in the finals for a reason, but the Penguins are here for a reason as well.

All those of you ready to jump off the bandwagon or place an order for championship T-Shirts (To the Wings fans) because of one game, get over yourselves.

If anyone is jumping off the bandwagon right now, they should turn in their colors and their season ticket plans they bought this season after discovering that we actually have a hockey team. I give up only when we're behind and the final tenth of a second ticks off the clock in the final game. Until then, I believe we can win.

I believe you will see a much better effort in game 2 than you saw tonight. They know they can't win the series unless they win a game there, so they will come out with everything they've got. Michel Therrien won't accept anything less, I know that.

HometownGal
05-25-2008, 06:46 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/08146/884823-61.stm

Red Wings dominant, but not unbeatable
Sunday, May 25, 2008

By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DETROIT -- Ten days ago, I wouldn't have given the Penguins or the Flyers or the Rangers or even a best-of compilation of all three even a puncher's chance to beat the Red Wings in this Stanley Cup final.

The presumptive Western Conference champions were playing such a pristine game of keep-away with the puck, coupled with their devoted defensive posture and the swelling confidence of their veteran goalie, Chris Isgood, that it was clear only a team that could dominate in the faceoff circle -- not exactly a description of the Penguins -- could hope to even endure.

But that was before Dallas extended the Wings to six games, before the Penguins buried Philadelphia just as easily as their prior victims.

More than that, it was before last night, when despite long stretches of atypical incompetence, the Penguins found in Joe Louis Arena not only the expected worthy Cup finalist, but a team they can beat in a long series.

Detroit's awfully good, but unbreakable?

"No, I don't think so, that's for sure," said Tyler Kennedy in the minutes after the Wings skunked the Penguins, 4-0, in Game 1. "We played a little bit of our game in the first period, but we got away from it. We just have to keep it simple."

The Penguins skated a blistering first 10 minutes, but seemed to wilt when they couldn't put one biscuit past Osgood on four first-period power plays.

"We didn't come in here expecting an easy series," Sidney Crosby said after his final baptism. "They're a very tight checking team and that's to be expected; that's playoff hockey."

If there were a significant surprise about last night, it was that the Penguins did not exactly come out flying in the final period, when their young legs are supposed to make a difference, as manifested in the playoff fact that they'd outscored everybody after the second period by a total of 21-7.

Make it 21-10.

All three third-period goals went into the Penguins' net, the back-breaker coming from Mikael Samuelsson again, this one due to carelessness in front of Fleury, specifically by Evgeni Malkin, who put the puck on a platter 10 feet in front of the net one second before Samuelsson made it 2-0.

"Definitely our worst performance of the playoffs," said a clearly displeased coach Michel Therrien. "We didn't compete the way we're supposed to compete. It's a good lesson. They played a really great game. They deserve a lot of credit, but in the meantime, we didn't play our game."

The Penguins spent an exceedingly uncomfortable second period, and not just because it was lowlighted by Samuelsson's icebreaking wraparound goal, the one that put the Red Wings ahead, 1-0, and made you wonder how anyone could carry the puck all the way from the red line, into the zone, get on the merry-go-round past Rod Scuderi, and still generate enough closing speed to beat Fleury across the goal mouth.

But it wasn't until that point, 13:01 of the second, that Detroit's immense reputation for puck management seemed self-evident. For the rest of the second period, the Penguins had trouble getting through the neutral zone, had trouble completing more than one pass at a time, and for the first time in Game 1 appeared to have trouble as their only friend.

The Wings outshot the Penguins in the middle period, 16-4. One of those shots, Kris Draper's wicked wrister off a mishandled rebound, hit not one but both posts, and somehow stayed out of the net.

"I thought we had a good first period," Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik said on CBC's second intermission interview. "We just didn't get a goal on one of those power plays. But after the second, it's like they're just outworking us. They never turn the puck over at the blue line and they make it tough on us because they keep getting behind us."

The puck went into the net only once in the first period, and that was judged to be the result of Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom putting his stick between the legs of Fleury and rendering him unable to react to Nicklas Lidstrom's bullet from the left faceoff circle.

That's what was apparent to referee Dan O'Halloran at any rate, and it made him the object of a spirited verbal assault from Red Wings coach Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter. Holmstrom went off for goaltender interference, introducing the fourth Penguins' power play of the first period.

That the Penguins took an 0 for 4 was more than a bad omen, it was a colossally wasted opportunity from which they would not recover.

But Game 1 wasn't a total waste for the Penguins, who learned that they're merely up against an awfully good hockey team, not some impenetrable monolith.

"We can compete with these guys," Hal Gill said confidently afterward. "We were just a step behind here, a step behind there, and it cost us. We'll work on some things and be better on Monday."

"We always bounce back," Therrien said. "And I expect us to."