PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

millwalldavey
05-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Those wretched Wings just have too much experience and firepower.

GBMelBlount
05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I think the Penguins may have expended a lot of "nervous energy" early and may have been flat out exhausted. Hockey is a wicked fast game, which is why it is so exciting, but it also requires endurance. I think we may see a much better game 2 from the pens ...especially with respect to the outcome, if they settle down and play 3 solid periods.

BettisFan
05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
How much did it cost to watch the game in mellon arena?

HometownGal
05-25-2008, 11:10 AM
How much did it cost to watch the game in mellon arena?

The tickets are $5.00 and parking in the arena lots is free. Concession stands are open throughout the game. :thumbsup:

Those wretched Wings just have too much experience and firepower.

I don't believe that at all. They may have more experience, but they certainly don't have more firepower. Other than the one errant goal Zetterberg scored last night late in the 3rd, the Pens D pretty much kept their A line in check and were skate to skate with the Wings in the first period - I think the Pens dominated that first period. Don't get me wrong - I'm not underestimating the Wings - they have a very good hockey club, but as has been said - they aren't unbeatable and certainly not invinceable.

The Pens got their baptismal game out of the way and I believe they will come out on fire in Game #2. Therrien will work their hineys off in practice and as this is a very tight knit group of guys, they will find a way to win as they have all season and especially in these playoffs.

TackleMeBen
05-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, we'd need a scapegoat, so we'll just go ahead and blame you anyway :chuckle:

No score after one, but only because of a bad call, IMO, against Holmstrom. No way that was goalie interference - he was trying to get into position. I'm sure the "Bettman favors the Pens" crowd is up in arms over it, though. :coffee:
hey now... you be nice to me..lol:chuckle:

yes they were saying bettman favors the pens when that goal was disallowed.

millwalldavey
05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
hey now... you be nice to me..lol:chuckle:

yes they were saying bettman favors the pens when that goal was disallowed.

I have no problem with the Pens. I'm slowly being converted actually. But I can buy the benefits the NHL would have with them winning the cup. Is there outright favoritism though? I dunno. They'd really love to have a guy to market like Gretzky when he was winning all those cups. The Pens remind of them... especially with the supporting cast in place.

TackleMeBen
05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
did anyone see when the pens were coming out that fluery tripped? i think the team was a bit nervous, i am sure they will get over it for game 2 and come out firing.

HometownGal
05-25-2008, 12:26 PM
did anyone see when the pens were coming out that fluery tripped? i think the team was a bit nervous, i am sure they will get over it for game 2 and come out firing.

Hmmm - very interesting. :scratchchin:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08146/884781-61.stm

"All of us almost fell coming on the ice," Dupuis said. "There was something there that gave right before that last step."

I've heard of intentional food-poisoning doing teams in before big games, but runway sabotage?

"I'm telling you, we all almost fell," Dupuis insisted. "I hope they do something about it before the next game."

TackleMeBen
05-25-2008, 12:34 PM
sabotage? now that is a good theory. maybe you young pens have scared detroit that they have to sabotage the walkway..lol.

HometownGal
05-25-2008, 12:41 PM
sabotage? now that is a good theory. maybe you young pens have scared detroit that they have to sabotage the walkway..lol.

It obviously isn't the reason why the Pens lost the game, but it is interesting to note that the Wings don't have that problem on their runway. Just some food for thought.

TackleMeBen
05-25-2008, 12:45 PM
It obviously isn't the reason why the Pens lost the game, but it is interesting to note that the Wings don't have that problem on their runway. Just some food for thought.
no it definately wasnt the reason. it is very interesting that the home team didnt have a problem but the visiting team did.. wonder if the wings contacted the pats on how to mess with the opposing team???? just a thought..lol.

stlrtruck
05-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Simply put, we got outplayed last night. I was disappointed that the refs were calling some weak penalties early in the game (both ways). I was hoping they would let the teams play a little harder than that!!!

Now that game 1 is in the books, I feel confident that the Pens will regroup and explode in game 2 to head back home and take 2 there!!

SteelCityMan786
05-25-2008, 02:32 PM

I say you, me and TMB go up to Joe Louis Arena and spread motor oil down that run way. :rofl:

TackleMeBen
05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I say you, me and TMB go up to Joe Louis Arena and spread motor oil down that run way. :rofl:
i am game if you two are???:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:...

HometownGal
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Very interesting. Therrien is going to shuffle the lines around for Game #2. Gary Roberts will play with Laraque sitting this one out. Might be just the jump start the Pens need! :thumbsup:

http://kdka.com/sports/Penguins.Red.Wings.2.732600.html

Penguins Shuffle Lines For Game 2 Vs. Red Wings

DETROIT (AP) ― The Pittsburgh Penguins put forth their best effort of the Stanley Cup finals opener in the first period, and all it got them was a stalemate with the Detroit Red Wings.

Might the kids from the East finally be in over their heads?

"If we played our best game and they dominated us, I might say yes, but there's a lot more we can do," said defenseman Rob Scuderi, who was burned for the first of Mikael Samuelsson's two goals in Detroit's 4-0 win Saturday night. "There's definitely no lack of confidence."

The Penguins held their first regular practice at Joe Louis Arena on Sunday, returning to the scene of what coach Michel Therrien called the team's "worst performance of the playoffs."

It was hard to argue that assessment.

Pittsburgh has lost only three times in the postseason, but its road record is 4-3.

Two of the defeats have been by shutout.

The Penguins are in an unfamiliar role of trailing in a series. In the first three rounds, Pittsburgh raced to 3-0 leads against the Ottawa Senators, New York Rangers, and Philadelphia Flyers - needing no more than five games to advance.

Therrien isn't wasting any time against the Red Wings, and appears set to juggle his forward lines in an attempt to get more going in Game 2 on Monday.

He preached effort and desire on Sunday.

"We were kind of sitting back and kind of watching them move the puck," center Jordan Staal said. "We have the speed to pressure them and make them make mistakes. We didn't do that in the second and we started doing it in the third.

"We just have to play a better game all-around. As long as we play a full 60, I think we'll be fine."

Detroit's top line of Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom shut down Sidney Crosby in a matchup that Therrien said he didn't mind going into Game 1.

The Red Wings will still have the last line change playing at home in Game 2, but Pittsburgh will provide them with a little different look.

Crosby will center a trio with wingers Marian Hossa and newcomer Ryan Malone. Pascal Dupuis will drop down to the No. 2 line alongside Staal and Tyler Kennedy.

Struggling center Evgeni Malkin, who has one goal and one assist in the past five games, will play between Maxime Talbot and Petr Sykora.

"Maybe the lines will match up better against their team," Staal said. "Obviously, we want to shake it up and get a new look from different players. Hopefully it does the job."

The Penguins generated eight of their 12 shots in the scoreless first period during four power plays - totaling just over 6 minutes - and recorded five drives on goalie Chris Osgood during one advantage.

Pittsburgh had only seven shots and one power-play chance the final 40 minutes.

"It could've been a different game ... but they killed the four power plays, and the momentum was on their side," Dupuis said. "It's just effort and attention to details. If you want to beat these guys, you've got to play hard. You've got to want it more than them. We didn't want it bad enough, I guess."

Perhaps the addition of 42-year-old forward Gary Roberts will change that. Roberts is coming off a difficult season in which he endured several injuries to his legs and a bout with pneumonia in the East finals against Philadelphia.

He felt healthy enough to play Saturday, but was held out on a coach's decision.

He was miffed by the benching and didn't enjoy watching the game on what he said was a 21-inch television in the upper reaches of the arena.

"I'm focused on what I need to do to help the team win," Roberts said. "Any time you lose a game it's tough, but this team has bounced back before. There is a lot of character in here and there's no reason we won't bounce back.

"I'm excited. For me, bringing some emotion, some intensity. I'm obviously not going to change my game at this point. I know what I need to do to be successful. This team we're playing against is really smart.

To make room for Roberts, Therrien said enforcer Georges Laraque will sit out Game 2. Roberts will likely be on Pittsburgh's fourth line with Jarkko Ruutu and Adam Hall.

"It's about rewarding players," Therrien said. "When we told Gary that he was not playing, we've got to make sure he's got the right attitude and make sure he's ready to play. I had confidence that he was going to be back in our lineup.

"When you take somebody who is not playing and bring him into your lineup, somebody has to get out. We evaluate all different options, and we decided it's going to be Georges."

Edman
05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
I just hope Malkin gets out of his slump. The Pens will need to turn up their game. Maybe this line change will help.

TackleMeBen
05-26-2008, 02:51 PM
about 4 hrs until the game starts.

HometownGal
05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I just hope Malkin gets out of his slump. The Pens will need to turn up their game. Maybe this line change will help.

It can't hurt having a scrapper on each of the 4 lines now. Therrien is usually right on the mark when making changes, so I'm going to trust in him on this one. :thumbsup:

Edman
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Penguins still sleeping from Game 1, and it's showing. They have no answers. Detroit is outhustling them and out hitting them. The Wings are doing whatever they want unopposed and Pens are just standing there like statues.

6 shots on goal. All on Power play. You can't do that. You'll lose every time. Passive play will not work against Detroit.

I'd hate to say it, but it looks like this series is already over before it even started. The Penguins are just out of their league. Until I see anything resembling life from this team from next period on, my opinion will not change. Wake the hell up, Penguins!

GBMelBlount
05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I honestly think it is nerves. If they settle down I really think they can hang with Detroit.

SteelCityMan786
05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Right now I have to deliver for the 2nd straight my kick in the arse to every last one of these guys. No excuse for not scoring at least 1 goal between each of these games.

Oh well, we might be down, but we're not out.

Maybe a little home cooking is what they need.

Edman
05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Another game. Another Goose Egg. Another embarrassment. What a joke.

At this point I just want the Wings to put us out of our misery. What a pathetic, embarrassing display by the Penguins in the Stanley Cup Finals. I don't know if returning to Mellon will help at this point. This team just seems lifeless, defeated and deflated of all emotion once the first period of Game 1 ended. No, this is no jitters, they just have no answers for Detroit. They're out of their league against a far superior team.

Can anyone name another Stanley Cup Finals team that didn't score in it's first two games?

I bet the Wings are planning the parade route right now, and how can you not blame them? They've stopped the Pens at every opportunity and have basically done whatever they wanted. The Pens have not given any reason for them to worry.

Godfather
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Can anyone name another Stanley Cup Finals team that didn't score in it's first two games?

Anaheim Mighty Ducks, 2003.

They pushed the series to 7 games.

Edman
05-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, I hope the Penguins can channel that energy from their fellow bird species and get back in this.

X-Terminator
05-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Another game. Another Goose Egg. Another embarrassment. What a joke.

At this point I just want the Wings to put us out of our misery. What a pathetic, embarrassing display by the Penguins in the Stanley Cup Finals. I don't know if returning to Mellon will help at this point. This team just seems lifeless, defeated and deflated of all emotion once the first period of Game 1 ended. No, this is no jitters, they just have no answers for Detroit. They're out of their league against a far superior team.

I bet the Wings are planning the parade route right now, and how can you not blame them? They've stopped the Pens at every opportunity and have basically done whatever they wanted. The Pens have not given any reason for them to worry.

Please tell me you're not giving up. If you are, you can turn in the colors right now. You DO NOT give up until the final second ticks off the clock in the elimination game.

Edman
05-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Please tell me you're not giving up. If you are, you can turn in the colors right now. You DO NOT give up until the final second ticks off the clock in the elimination game.

No, I'm not giving up. But good lord the Penguins are getting handled.

So I'm being a bit negative, but the Pens have shown very little life in this series. They're in trouble right now.

But no, I'm not giving up. Not after looking at the 2003 Ducks.

X-Terminator
05-26-2008, 11:53 PM
No, I'm not giving up. But good lord the Penguins are getting handled.

So I'm being a bit negative, but the Pens have shown very little life in this series. They're in trouble right now.

But no, I'm not giving up. Not after looking at the 2003 Ducks.

It's tough to play when the home team is being allowed to revert to pre-lockout, clutch-grab-hold hockey, and their goaltender gets away with a clear-as-day dive. But I digress...

Don't forget the 1991 Penguins either. They lost the first 2 games of the Conference finals to Boston that year on the road, and then won the next 4 games to advance to the SCF.

It ain't over.

jjpro11
05-27-2008, 04:18 AM
we need to get that first goal, hopefully that will settle them down a bit and things will come easier. we have had home ice all throughout the playoffs and gotten off to 2-0 starts each time heading into the other team's arena.

all i know is we gotta win game 3.. a win there and it will put a bounce in their step and some confidence heading into another home game in game 4. going down 3-0 in this series would be the kiss of death. we are banking on home ice to shift the momentum in the series.

TackleMeBen
05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
the pens are looking overhelmed right now. maybe going back to pittsburgh they will figure out how to stop detroit's defense. i know alot of the wings fans are ticked off b/c they are saying the pens were taking cheap shots at franzen's head.

HometownGal
05-27-2008, 06:27 AM
It's tough to play when the home team is being allowed to revert to pre-lockout, clutch-grab-hold hockey, and their goaltender gets away with a clear-as-day dive. But I digress...

Don't forget the 1991 Penguins either. They lost the first 2 games of the Conference finals to Boston that year on the road, and then won the next 4 games to advance to the SCF.

It ain't over.

No, it ain't over. The Wings are coming to our house and I believe the Pens are going to rock that house. They're 8-0 in the playoffs at home. :thumbsup: :tt03:

TMB - the Wings fans can kiss my hiney. The Pens don't resort to cheap shotting - it's not in their makeup and Therrien wouldn't have it. If they are referring to Roberts' check on Franzen where he knocked him on his ass, that was a clean hit and as much as the refs were calling ticky tack penalties on the Pens last night (not the reason why they lost, however), they surely would have nailed Scary Gary if they thought it was even remotely dirty.

As far as the Pens "stopping" the Wings D - they're going to have to dump the puck and try to score from down low as they were trying to do in the 2nd and 3rd periods last night. Keep shooting the puck and eventually, something is going to go in.

LETS GO PENS! Give the Wings a proper welcome to the Burgh on Wednesday night! :drink:

TackleMeBen
05-27-2008, 06:47 AM
No, it ain't over. The Wings are coming to our house and I believe the Pens are going to rock that house. They're 8-0 in the playoffs at home. :thumbsup: :tt03:

TMB - the Wings fans can kiss my hiney. The Pens don't resort to cheap shotting - it's not in their makeup and Therrien wouldn't have it. If they are referring to Roberts' check on Franzen where he knocked him on his ass, that was a clean hit and as much as the refs were calling ticky tack penalties on the Pens last night (not the reason why they lost, however), they surely would have nailed Scary Gary if they thought it was even remotely dirty.

As far as the Pens "stopping" the Wings D - they're going to have to dump the puck and try to score from down low as they were trying to do in the 2nd and 3rd periods last night. Keep shooting the puck and eventually, something is going to go in.

LETS GO PENS! Give the Wings a proper welcome to the Burgh on Wednesday night! :drink:

i was there and thought it was a clean hit, but the fans that i was sitting with didnt think so.they were saying how the pens were starting to take cheap shots b/c they know that they cant beat the wings. too bad you werent with me HTG, you could have told them to go to hell..lol i hope the pens can win on weds, because i really dont want to hear how the wings swept the pens in the finals.

and for the poster that said that the wings are already planning their parade route.. you are right it will go right down woodward :wink02:.

HometownGal
05-27-2008, 07:18 AM
i was there and thought it was a clean hit, but the fans that i was sitting with didnt think so.they were saying how the pens were starting to take cheap shots b/c they know that they cant beat the wings. too bad you werent with me HTG, you could have told them to go to hell..lol i hope the pens can win on weds, because i really dont want to hear how the wings swept the pens in the finals.

and for the poster that said that the wings are already planning their parade route.. you are right it will go right down woodward :wink02:.

I was at the arena with XT watching the game inside on the jumbotron and we were all laughing at Franzen when he was boo-hooing about that hit and trying to draw a penalty out of it. :toofunny: Believe me - if Roberts wanted to injure him, he could have very easily.

The Pens do not have the mindset that they can't beat the Wings - don't know where you and your fellow Wings fans are getting that from. Yes - they are frustrated, but a frustrated team playing in desperation to stay alive can be a very dangerous team, especially on their home ice. Don't worry - you won't have to hear about the Wings sweeping the Pens because it isn't going to happen. I have a lot of respect for the Wings and the way they play the game, but I still don't believe they are invinceable and neither do most Pens fans.

The Pens are a strong, young club and are going to be a contender for many years to come, even with losing a couple of the guys to FA. The Wings, with their present roster (most of whom aren't getting any younger), will be lucky to stay in contention for another year or two. No matter how this turns out, we Pens fans have a whole lot to look forward to. :tt03:

Counselor
05-27-2008, 09:29 AM
All I can say is the crowd on Wednesday better stay behind the boys on, even if the wings get the first goal. The last thing the Pens need trying to dig out of the hole is negativity and frustration . . .so LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the game last night . . .the wings fans are supremely confidently (I guess they have a right to be . . .) They couldn't believe how many Pens fans were there, though-----one guy even had his picture taken with the group of us---which I thought was funny. For the most part they were polite----the Franzen hit got the negative vibes going and Osgood's dive too (what a piece of $%&# he is!).

What upset me last night---and for the first game, too----everytime we looked like we were going to get something going, there was a penalty against us. Ugh.

If I were the coach---(and clearly I'm not so I might be talking out of my a$$)----I'd go into total defensive mode and start frustrating the Wings, like they are frustrating us. They have too much space skating up the middle and are making too many cross ice passes that are going through----let's focus on defense, limit the wings opportunities---take the pressure off the offense, and pounce on the opportunties that will come.

Edman
05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
The Penguins come home in a 2-0 hole. They'll need the fans now more than ever. Mellon Arena has to be loud.

Maybe some home ice and the familiar crowd will wake them up. The Second Detroit Goal in last nights game was pretty much a telling sign that things just aren't going right for the Pens. Bounces right through Fleury's legs and just coasts into the net.

BettisFan
05-27-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.moesportsblog.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/5/27_Penguins_vs_Redwings_Gm_2._Recap_%26_Pittsburgh _Move.html
My view on the Pens series right now

SteelCityMan786
05-27-2008, 03:07 PM
q48prP2Iv9w

Hit the play button. I'd love to have to make sure Osgood hear this all night tomorrow and Saturday while hearing rock and roll part 2 when he gives up a goal in Pittsburgh and then some depressing song after he finally coughs up a goal up in Detroit.

But more importantly, game 3 is what is on my mind.

TackleMeBen
05-27-2008, 03:40 PM
On Monday, before Game 2, the swarm of Penguins fans grew even bigger. Almost 30% of the crowd at Hockeytown Café was wearing Pittsburg jerseys, according to general manager Steve Davidson.

“We are happy to take the Pittsburgh money,” Davidson said. “Maybe, Mr. Ilitch will use the money to buy a new free agent next year.”

Most of the Pittsburgh fans have left. (There may be some displaced Penguins fans living in metro Detroit. You know who you are. Please stay in your homes until this series is over!)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080527/SPORTS05/80527068/1053

X-Terminator
05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
On Monday, before Game 2, the swarm of Penguins fans grew even bigger. Almost 30% of the crowd at Hockeytown Café was wearing Pittsburg jerseys, according to general manager Steve Davidson.

“We are happy to take the Pittsburgh money,” Davidson said. “Maybe, Mr. Ilitch will use the money to buy a new free agent next year.”

Most of the Pittsburgh fans have left. (There may be some displaced Penguins fans living in metro Detroit. You know who you are. Please stay in your homes until this series is over!)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080527/SPORTS05/80527068/1053

Displaced Penguins fans? The only thing I'm seeing here is a Wings fan in denial.

Go ahead and have your fun, "Hockeytown". Have a nice, hearty laugh. When the Penguins force a game 6, we'll see who is laughing then. :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Displaced Penguins fans? The only thing I'm seeing here is a Wings fan in denial.

Go ahead and have your fun, "Hockeytown". Have a nice, hearty laugh. When the Penguins force a game 6, we'll see who is laughing then. :tt03:

Who believes? :jammin:

Steeler in Carolina
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Detroit was supposed to win the first 2. Now the Pens come home and we'll see what happens in Mellon.

HometownGal
05-27-2008, 07:01 PM

And we'll be more than happy to take Detroit's money. What a stupid ass. Doesn't he think our beautiful city is going to be swarming with Wings fans over the next couple of days? :doh:

Yep - go ahead and thump your chests Wings fans - you know who you are. It isn't over by a long shot and if the Pens come out on the short end of this Stanley Cup final, they will have the last laugh for many years to come with a talented, YOUNG, competitive team. :chuckle: :tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 06:24 AM
And we'll be more than happy to take Detroit's money. What a stupid ass. Doesn't he think our beautiful city is going to be swarming with Wings fans over the next couple of days? :doh:

Yep - go ahead and thump your chests Wings fans - you know who you are. It isn't over by a long shot and if the Pens come out on the short end of this Stanley Cup final, they will have the last laugh for many years to come with a talented, YOUNG, competitive team. :chuckle: :tt03:
probably not since ticketmaster and mellon arena isnt going to let anyone outside of a certain area buy tickets to the game. anyone from michigan cant get tickets to the game thru ticketmaster. they are only selling tixs to pa, delware, ny/nj and a few other states. i just heard it on the radio. the sports media here are peed about that.. but i noticed when i wanted to get tix last yr to the steelers/panthers game i couldnt get them on my credit card b/c i didnt live in nc or sc. so i had to get my mom to order them for me.

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
probably not since ticketmaster and mellon arena isnt going to let anyone outside of a certain area buy tickets to the game. anyone from michigan cant get tickets to the game thru ticketmaster. they are only selling tixs to pa, delware, ny/nj and a few other states. i just heard it on the radio. the sports media here are peed about that.. but i noticed when i wanted to get tix last yr to the steelers/panthers game i couldnt get them on my credit card b/c i didnt live in nc or sc. so i had to get my mom to order them for me.

There are a ton of other sources out there for Wings fans to purchase their tix and I guarantee you there will be at least 500-600 Wings fans in attendance at Mellon Arena tonight.

I never heard that Ticketmaster only sells to certain areas but if that is true, that just isn't right. One thing I do know for certain, though, is that the NHL does make a certain number of tickets available for each game to non-Pens fans, as a friend of mine in Chicago got tickets to tomorrow night's game here in the Burgh and she is a Blackhawks fan.

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
600 wings fans! Really like from detroit becuase there cant be that many wings fans in the burgh!

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
600 wings fans! Really like from detroit becuase there cant be that many wings fans in the burgh!

I didn't mean Wings fans from Pittsburgh, Bettis. :toofunny::toofunny: That was just a guestimate, but my point was that there are a lot of other places to purchase tickets other than Ticketmaster and I'm sure a lot of Wings fans have done just that.

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I didn't mean Wings fans from Pittsburgh, Bettis. :toofunny::toofunny: That was just a guestimate, but my point was that there are a lot of other places to purchase tickets other than Ticketmaster and I'm sure a lot of Wings fans have done just that.

Lets hope not

Counselor
05-28-2008, 01:36 PM
So, I was sitting there when that kid got interviewed by the Free Press---I don't know him, but groups of Pens fans congregated at Hockeytown . . . anyway, the reporter misquoted him. The article read this way:

“If the Penguins decide to let the Red Wings win the Cup,” Davison said, “we will congratulate every Red Wings fan in this place.”

The real quote was this:

"If Gary Roberts decides to let the Red Wings win the cup, we will congratulate every Red Wings fans in this place"

The true quote is infinately bettler!

Edman
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Mellon Arena will be rocking tonight. The Penguins must win. An 0-2 hole is bad. An 0-3 hole is worse. Come on, Pens.

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Mellon Arena will be rocking tonight. The Penguins must win. An 0-2 hole is bad. An 0-3 hole is worse. Come on, Pens.

AMEN! :drink: I think we are going to see an emotionally charged group of guys tonight. I hope the fans show their support and scream their lungs out from start to finish. :tt03:

LETS GO PENS!

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
the detroit sports talk host are saying that the pens dont have the heart to win this series anymore since they are already down 2-0, and that they have no leadership on the team that can lead.

please win tonight so these people will shut up on the radio.

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Darryl Sydor will be in the lineup tonight at D and Kris Letang will be a healthy scratch. My biggest concern with this change is that Sydor may have a little rust on him which isn't a good thing trying to cover a couple of Detroit's high-flying forwards. Oh well - that is why Therrien is an NHL coach and I'm just an avid fan!

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I just put out my look on the Pens for tonights game on my blog (www.moesportsblog.com) but in the end i think the pens can pull this out.

X-Terminator
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Darryl Sydor will be in the lineup tonight at D and Kris Letang will be a healthy scratch. My biggest concern with this change is that Sydor may have a little rust on him which isn't a good thing trying to cover a couple of Detroit's high-flying forwards. Oh well - that is why Therrien is an NHL coach and I'm just an avid fan!

Inserting Sydor into the lineup at this point can't hurt - you can never have too many guys with playoff experience, even if he hasn't played a game in almost 2 months. Plus, he has fresh legs and isn't beat up like the other guys are, and that can't hurt either. To me, though, if the Pens are to win tonight, they must get Evgeni Malkin going. He has been invisible in this series and since Game 1 of the ECF against the Flyers.

the detroit sports talk host are saying that the pens dont have the heart to win this series anymore since they are already down 2-0, and that they have no leadership on the team that can lead.

please win tonight so these people will shut up on the radio.

You know, ever since this series started with the constant crap from "Hockeytown," I'm really starting to dislike Detroit and your fellow Wings fans. Maybe I should start rooting for the Blackhawks instead. You know, that OTHER young, up-and-coming team with 2 stars in the making (Pat Kane and Jonathan Toews) who eventually will unseat the Dead Things in the division.

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Inserting Sydor into the lineup at this point can't hurt - you can never have too many guys with playoff experience, even if he hasn't played a game in almost 2 months. Plus, he has fresh legs and isn't beat up like the other guys are, and that can't hurt either. To me, though, if the Pens are to win tonight, they must get Evgeni Malkin going. He has been invisible in this series and since Game 1 of the ECF against the Flyers.

You know, ever since this series started with the constant crap from "Hockeytown," I'm really starting to dislike Detroit and your fellow Wings fans. Maybe I should start rooting for the Blackhawks instead. You know, that OTHER young, up-and-coming team with 2 stars in the making (Pat Kane and Jonathan Toews) who eventually will unseat the Dead Things in the division.

I saw the sydor move on espn is this a good move? I dont know too much about him.

X-Terminator
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I saw the sydor move on espn is this a good move? I dont know too much about him.

I believe I already gave some info on him, but...

- He brings plenty of experience. Has 2 rings and has played in 4 previous SCFs in his career with 3 different teams.
- He's mobile and can move the puck. Can play the PP or PK.
- Not overly physical, but is solid positionally most of the time.
- He hasn't played a game in almost 2 months, which means he is a fresh body and fresh legs inserted into the lineup. A lot of guys have bumps and bruises at this point, so his addition can be an asset.
- Did I mention he brings plenty of experience?

I trust that this will clear things up.

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 05:47 PM

they arent my fellow wings fans... i just happen to live here right now... maybe i need to move to pittsburgh :wink02::thumbsup:.

they were telling wings fans that are going to the game, dont wear your red wing stuff instead wear pittsburgh stuff and one guy said you cant go wrong with a bettis jersey..lol

X-Terminator
05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
they arent my fellow wings fans... i just happen to live here right now... maybe i need to move to pittsburgh :wink02::thumbsup:.

Yeah...sure...that's the ticket... :banging:

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I believe I already gave some info on him, but...

- He brings plenty of experience. Has 2 rings and has played in 4 previous SCFs in his career with 3 different teams.
- He's mobile and can move the puck. Can play the PP or PK.
- Not overly physical, but is solid positionally most of the time.
- He hasn't played a game in almost 2 months, which means he is a fresh body and fresh legs inserted into the lineup. A lot of guys have bumps and bruises at this point, so his addition can be an asset.
- Did I mention he brings plenty of experience?

I trust that this will clear things up.

thanks man sounds like a good move

UK CANDY BEE
05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Geez....... what's wrong with your inept Penguins ??

:jawdrop:

....they can't even get a goal on the stinking Red Wings !!

:noidea:

That's the last time I ask for assistance in beating a hated rival from anyone in PIttsburgh !!!

:banging:

....even the Predators did better than your guys are doing !!!

:pissed:

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Geez....... what's wrong with your inept Penguins ??

:jawdrop:

....they can't even get a goal on the stinking Red Wings !!

:noidea:

That's the last time I ask for assistance in beating a hated rival from anyone in PIttsburgh !!!

:banging:

....even the Predators did better than your guys are doing !!!

:pissed:

Hey Candy Ass - at least the Pens made it to the Cup final, unlike the Predators. :flap:

Please don't ruin this thread with your inane drivel, k?

UK CANDY BEE
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey Candy Ass - at least the Pens made it to the Cup final, unlike the Predators. :flap:

At least the Preds SCORED on the Red Wings !!!

.....unlike the Penguins, so far !!!

Good Grief ....... WAKE UP PENS !!!

The Duke
05-28-2008, 07:53 PM
first score!

thanks for jinxing it :flap:

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 07:53 PM

So did we, jerkwad.

Crosby scores! 1-0- PENS!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

UK CANDY BEE
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Great........now go kick some Red Wing ASS !!!

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
there goes osgoods shutout for this game:thumbsup:

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
what the hell.. they are letting reporters on the ice during the game???

HometownGal
Good period by the Pens, especially the last 8 minutes or so. They got their mojo back with that Crosby goal - now let's stick it to 'em! :thumbsup::tt03:

Edman
The Captain finally scores! Way to lead by example Sid.

I hope and pray this wakes up the whole team and changes to big momentum. We can do this!!! Come on, Penguins!

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
what the hell.. they are letting reporters on the ice during the game???

Uhhhh - it was the end of the period.

X-Terminator
05-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Candy Ass, we already have enough dullards in this forum - we don't need another one, thank you.

1-0 Pens after one, and we finally get on the board in the series. A solid period, especially from the 10-minute mark on. They started to generate some offense around Osgood, and he lets in a softie. That's what they're going to have to do if they're to win - keep peppering the old man with shot after shot. I am a little disappointed that they didn't get another one at the end of the period - Hossa and Malkin missed wide-open nets. Here's hoping they can keep it up, but so far, so good! :thumbsup:

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Candy Ass, we already have enough dullards in this forum - we don't need another one, thank you.

Speaking of dullards, did you hear bing and bong talking about Mario and Sid? The four eyed moron said Sid will never be as good as Mario because he doesn't have "the size". :toofunny::toofunny: I think he needs to change the batteries in that crystal ball of his. What an absolutely stupid thing to say. Sid is in only his 3rd season and is in the Stanley Cup finals - it took Mario 7 years to get to his 1st. Whether Sid will be as good or better than Mario remains to be seen, but to make a projection like that at this stage in Sid's career is moronic.

Edman
05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
The problem with the Penguins is not Osgood , it's Detroit's Defense. They have to find a way past those Detroit Defenders, Osgood is the benificiary of that Defense. The Penguins have to attack. Sitting back will not do anything. That's playing into Detroit's hands.

The Pens finally came to life, and it only took them ten minutes.

43Hitman
05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
So I am very new to hockey...Just started watching this playoff series. Don't even have a favorite team yet. I was wondering though, when they break down the stats at the end of the period, It says; shots on goal and so forth. What is Hits? Detroit had 12 and Pittsburgh had 10. Can someone explain this? Thanks.

Edman
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Sid puts another one in - WOO HOOOOOOO!!!

2-0 Pens. We got 'em on the ropes now guys - keep pourin' it on! :thumbsup::tt03::tt03:

The Duke
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
home crowd is just what this kids needed

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
like i predicted on my site www.moesportsblog.com the pens would score first and would carry a lead and win tonight! My predictions have been right on the site so far looks like another correct prediction tonight! Go Pens! 2-0

43Hitman
05-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Anything?...see post #6073....

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I am loving it guys!! Fluery is baaaccckk!!! The coolest thing is I predicted this all thats the tight stuff! I am so pumped this series wont end in 4 games!

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 08:46 PM
ouch the redwings score its 2-1

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Uhhhh - it was the end of the period.
ok, i was doing some stuff for my daughters cheerleading squad and didnt realize the period was over and looked over at the tv and a reporter was interviewing crosby on the ice and i was like what? thanks for clearing that up:thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
05-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Detroits power play goal came from a Holmstrom dive. BS

DEtroit is playing the refs like a fiddle with their diving and acting

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Well we have to admit osgood is really good lol i mean its crazy to be able to slow down our amazing offense, besides detroits one goal it was a great period for us

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 09:11 PM
So I am very new to hockey...Just started watching this playoff series. Don't even have a favorite team yet. I was wondering though, when they break down the stats at the end of the period, It says; shots on goal and so forth. What is Hits? Detroit had 12 and Pittsburgh had 10. Can someone explain this? Thanks.

It means exactly what it states, Hitman - the # of hits each team had against the other. They are also broken down individually, i.e. the # of hits on an opponent each player has.

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see another goal or two in the 3rd period and we have to stay out of the sin bin, though a few of those calls were definitely ticky tack. Holmstrom is a jagoff and plants his big ass in front of that net hoping to cherry pick one in - that's about all he's good for.

Edman
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Adam Hall with the GOOAAALL!!!

3-1 Penguins!

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Great set up by Scary Gary and Adam Hall puts it in!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! :tt03::thumbsup::drink:

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Holmstrom is a jagoff and plants his big ass in front of that net hoping to cherry pick one in - that's about all he's good for.
:sofunny::sofunny:

Edman
05-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Detroit is getting away with a lot of crap.

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
That was the most inense 5 minutes of my life! OMG that was crazy!

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 09:32 PM
and have you seen more big hits in such a short period of time that was amazing!

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
sheesh..goal by Detroit 3-2 us come on guys dont let this go

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
3-2 now.

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
holstrom is in some pain

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Gil just screwed him up

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Aren't these Detroit players the worst actors?

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
holstrom is in some pain

Pain my ass. He tried to act his way into drawing a penalty and it didn't work. Boo Hoo.

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Pain my ass. He tried to act his way into drawing a penalty and it didn't work. Boo Hoo.
i see you wont be giving him any sympathy tonight..lol.. :wink02:

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
oh come on shoot a powerplay we cant let them score

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
looks like the pens broke out of their slump

GBMelBlount
05-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Congrats Pens. Wow.

Edman
05-28-2008, 09:50 PM
What a game. Atta Boy, Penguins! That's a way to dig in and play hard.

We have a series.

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
at least the wing fans can put up their brooms b/c there will not be a sweep

The Duke
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
at least the wing fans can put up their brooms b/c there will not be a sweep

a sweep nor a series win

I believe :tt03:

nice job today, now come even better next game. maybe the nerves are starting to go away

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
i see you wont be giving him any sympathy tonight..lol.. :wink02:

You got that right. No Academy Award for him tonight.

No there won't be a sweep and I believe in my guys to take Game #4, sending the series back to Detroit with a 2-2 tie. Suck it up Wings fans - the Pens are on the climb again - watch out.

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
WOOHOO guys we did it! Its all good in the burgh we are coming back!

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
You got that right. No Academy Award for him tonight.

No there won't be a sweep and I believe in my guys to take Game #4, sending the series back to Detroit with a 2-2 tie. Suck it up Wings fans - the Pens are on the climb again - watch out.
if they come out and play like they did tonight they have a great shot at making 2-2 going back to detroit.

i cant wait to hear all the sports radio guys cry tomorrow about the wings losing. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
HEY OSGOOD I PRESENT WITH MY FIRST...................................:fingers: OF THE SERIES!

TackleMeBen
05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
they asked babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter what pittsburgh did tonight that they didnt do in the first two games and he replied, they won.

BettisFan
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
my recent post on my site about tonights game "What did I say guys, Fluery came back strong and only allowed 2 goals, the Pens took a lead and held it throughout the game. Crosby decided to splash some water on his face and shake it off, he realized that this is just like any game and he knew what he had to do. Crosby scored two of the Pens three goals. What an amazing game by the Pens at home and they still remain undefeated at home! Pittsburgh is a craze and don’t sleep on the Pens they are back in a full frontal attack. Look for another win at home by the Penguins. I cant explain for any of you that didn't watch the game how intense this game was. I had my nose at the screen and could not look away. There was a point in the 3rd period with maybe 5 minutes left where there was non stop action for several minutes it just would not stop, big hit another check another big hit! This game was definitely a big leap in entertainment value from the first two games. For all you sports fans who look down on the game of hockey, change your opinion now this game was more intense than any basketball, football or for sure baseball game you will watch. Look out for the Pens to become a dynasty over the next couple years and for the NHL to come back as a big sport in this country. Just turn on the Stanley Cup and watch one of the games and you will be hooked. Keep this up Penguins and the cup will be yours, Remember always be looking up."

HometownGal
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
HEY OSGOOD I PRESENT WITH MY FIRST...................................:fingers: OF THE SERIES!

Amen brotha! :drink: I give my 1,000th :upyours: to that big cherry pickin' oaf Holmstrom. What a puss. I loved watching Gill get in his grill all night long. :laughing:

Edman
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't know what Therrein said to the players during that time out in the 1st period, but it worked. The Penguins came alive. Nogood actually had to face some shots this time around, and he blew it. The Red Wings had the early momentum and it looked like it was going to be another easy coasting for them. Crosby's goal opened up everything.

Detroit was getting away with a lot of junk. But we won anyway.

section514
05-28-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14153839703
Bring your terrible towels to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Wear your white shirts and bring your gold terrible towels!

OneForTheToe
05-29-2008, 12:32 AM
That was the most inense 5 minutes of my life! OMG that was crazy!

Not sure about that, but I must say I didn't think I could go that long without breathing at my age.:wink02:

That was a hella good five minutes of Hockey.

stlrtruck
05-29-2008, 07:07 AM
There was a period of about 8 minutes during the 3rd period that was absolutely an awesome display of hockey. No interruptions, no stupid penalties, no refs in the way - just good old fashion up and down the ice hockey!!! That would have made an enthusiast out of anyone.

However, I noticed last night that the wings are being allowed to be more physical than the penguins. Don't get me wrong I'm not whining and not blaming that for the outcome of the games but the refs should call the game equally or not at all. First example, the hit on Fleury in the first period that was a harder hit than what Osgood took in Game 2. The "dive" after the hit in front of the net that lead to a wings powerplay.

Regardless, the Pens still need to come out with more intensity and finish games. They gave the wings too much hope towards the end that they could tie it and win it. They need to forecheck and bring the defense up to the blue line...stop letting detroit set up inside the blue line and start firing away.

lilyoder6
05-29-2008, 07:20 AM
that was a good game.. bout time they showed thaqt they are alive.. now lets go out in and tie the series 2-2

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 08:10 AM
The Pens still have a tough road ahead of them, but last night's win was a huge boost for this team's psyche and we all know what a confident Pens team can accomplish! Our Pens are back! :tt03:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/penguins/s_569922.html

Pens' arrival better late than never

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 29, 2008

Now, they can breathe.
Now, it's a series.

For more than 10 minutes Wednesday night, the Penguins seemed intent on turning the Stanley Cup final into a self-obstructing prophecy.

Hours after coach Michel Therrien had once again raised the subject of obstruction following the morning skate, the Penguins found themselves tied with the Detroit Red Wings, 0-0, but being outshot, 9-1, more than halfway through the first period of what for the Penguins was a pivotal Game 3.

The Pens' profound problems in generating any offense in this series already had been personified at that point by Sidney Crosby, who for some reason opted to attempt a pass rather than let one rip from the top of the face-off circle to goaltender Chris Osgood's right halfway through the period.
Not long after that, the light finally went on.

All it took was a mistake by the Red Wings, an unforced error on a Brad Stuart-to-Henrik Zetterberg breakout pass.

The puck hit Zetterberg's skate and then Stuart's skate after Marian Hossa had shot it.

Crosby collected it and did the rest, and suddenly the Penguins were the Penguins again.

Therrien, when he wasn't discussing obstruction, confirmed they'd been less than that in explaining why he replaced rookie defenseman Kris Letang with veteran Darryl Sydor.

The Penguins, Therrien said, could use Sydor's experience "on the ice and on the bench."

Sydor wasn't on the ice when Crosby finally got a puck past Osgood at 17:25 of the first, but the bench was just dandy thereafter.

And on the ice, the Penguins were something to behold.

They hit, skated, shot, cycled, trapped and willed their way past the Red Wings, who, as it turns out, are not the Red Army, 3-2.

The Penguins played the type of hockey that had them deserving of victory in about 95 percent of their wins, in Therrien's estimation, prior to the Cup final.

In the process, they proved to themselves, and perhaps to the Red Wings, that they belong in this series.

There was legitimate doubt heading into Game 3 based on how docile the Penguins had been in Detroit, relatively speaking.

But that doubt was body-checked into oblivion in a much-needed Mellon Arena confirmation that included:

• Gary Roberts playing with centers Jordan Staal, Adam Hall, Crosby and Malkin, and dominating whenever called upon.

• Defensemen such as Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Whitney and even Hal Gill stepping up into the rush and forcing the offensive issue.

• Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury remaining upright upon taking the ice and standing tall long enough to make the timely saves that were necessary until the Penguins found their legs.

• Defenseman Brooks Orpik crushing everything in red and white that came near him.

The stat of the night?

The Penguins knocked Tomas Holmstrom's helmet off three times in the first two periods. :laughing::toofunny::laughing:

That's playoff hockey.

By finally playing some the Penguins finally got to Osgood.

If they can get him moving side to side a little more often or become a little more accurate with the shots they're suddenly willing to take, they'll have a chance to light him up Saturday night.

For now, the chance to even the series in Game 4 is more than enough.

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
:jerkit:

Just like the game announcers last night on NBC, this jackass refuses to give credit to the Pens for stepping up and playing a wow of a game. "No biggie"? We'll see if it's another "no biggie" when the Pens beat the Wings again in Game #4 on Saturday night. They've got their mojo back - look out Detroit. :tt03:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08150/885796-61.stm

Red Wings: First loss in series not major setback

Thursday, May 29, 2008
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What, Detroit worry?

The playoff-wizened Red Wings last night reacted to their first armor chink, their first goal against and their first loss in this Stanley Cup final with a collective shrug.

No biggie.

"[The Penguins] came out like they did before," offered winger Mikael Samuelsson, meaning badly. "And we came out like we did before, too. Probably even a little better."

True, the Red Wings gathered a whopping 9-1 advantage in shots to break open this Game 3. But none of those shots eluded Marc-Andre Fleury.

So the Penguins scored first, after a 137-minute, 25-second series wait, then scored second -- both by Sidney Crosby -- and also scored fourth.

Yet to hear the visitors tell it, this 3-2 Penguins survival test of a victory was less a credit to the home side and more the fault of Detroit.

"It was us," defenseman Brian Rafalski said. "First goal was a turnover. Second goal was a power play. Third goal was a bad bounce."

Yeah, off goaltender Chris Osgood's right rear flank, on a shot from behind the net by a Penguins gent hardly known for goal scoring from any ZIP code let alone such a celebrated playmaker's territory, Adam Hall.

That winning goal was, indeed, downright cheeky on the night of consecutive Mellon Arena sellout No. 66, which seems to be a magical franchise number, right? That goal was not, however, considered a harbinger by the Red Wings, who proudly lug a 2-1 series lead back into this same venue Saturday night for Game 4.

"We're still on top," defenseman Andrea Lilja said. "If we can pull one out in the next game, we'll be in good shape."

They're not fretting over Osgood, the veteran netminder who saw both his stick and his shutout streak get broken by Crosby with barely 21/2 minutes left in the first period, snapping a 154:58 shutout streak. Not even the Hall goal overtly bothered them.

They're not concerned about the final 6:20 of the first period and the 9:08 overall in which they went without a shot, nor the 15-minute span when they mustered just two. They're not fearful about awaking a heretofore quiet Crosby -- "He's a good player; everybody knows that," Samuelsson said -- or a slumbering Penguins offense.

"They had their part of the game, we had our part of the game," Samuelsson added, referring to Detroit's third-period flourish -- they had 16 shots in all -- and his goal near the end.

They're not openly sweating about much of anything. However, coach Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter faulted Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk for trying to "do too much" and, referring to himself, added, "I thought the coach played them too much."

Funny, but Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar, at 26:45, played two minutes more than Zetterberg and four more than Datsyuk.

"We can't expect to win four-nothing," Samuelsson said of the series. "We knew it was going to be really, really tough in this building."

Brad Stuart's turnover arranged Crosby's first goal. Niklas Kronvall's penalty set up Crosby's second. Osgood's muff behind the net, and off his behind into the net, transformed Hall into a Mario Lemieux. So it wasn't a stellar night in the Detroit defensive zone. Not that it caused the Red Wings any extra consternation.

"They came out harder than we expected," Samuelsson said.

EDIT: I must have had a brain fart when I posted this - I could have sworn this article was written by a Detroit sportscaster. Geez - haven't had peroxide on my head for years! LOL!

X-Terminator
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I just got done watching the third period (had to DVR it because I had to leave for work), and all I can say is WOW. Best period of hockey I've seen so far in the playoffs, no question about it. That 5 minute stretch was awesome, and had everything - great skating, scoring chances galore, big hits (Orpik with 4 hits in 10 seconds!), big saves, a couple of posts...you name it. The Pens really looked good all night and I'm happy they came away with the win. They certainly earned it. And I'm going on record right now to say that the Pens WILL win Game 4 and go back to "Hockeytown" all square at 2-2. At that point, it's a best of 3, and anything can happen.

I'd also like to give a nice :applaudit: to the crowd last night. They were loud and into the game from start to finish. I had my worries that they would sit on their hands most of the night, but they didn't, and it was great to see!

As for the above article, that was a nice job of Chuck Finder to cherry pick some quotes and deliberately take them out of context in order to get Pens fans fired up. If you go over to NHL.com and read some of those same quotes and the questions that were asked, it wasn't as bad as he made it look. In fact, Babc0ck, Osgood, Draper and Maltby all gave the Pens and especially Crosby credit for the way they played last night.

BettisFan
05-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I am so pumped we got this guys

Counselor
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
EDIT: I must have had a brain fart when I posted this - I could have sworn this article was written by a Detroit sportscaster. Geez - haven't had peroxide on my head for years! LOL!

Easy mistake because it sure sounded like it!

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Here is the article I meant to post - from Helene St .James of The Detroit Free Press. Arrogant beyotch, aint she?

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/SPORTS05/805290448/1053/SPORTS05

HELENE ST. JAMES | INSIDE THE WINGS

Crosby, Penguins extend series, but Red Wings retain upper hand
May 29, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby delivered a victory in Game 3, but can he and his teammates do it again in three of a possible four opportunities left in this NHL season?

I don't think so. The Red Wings suffered their first loss of the Stanley Cup finals against the Penguins Wednesday night, dropping a 3-2 decision at Mellon Arena that cut Detroit's lead in the series to 2-1. But it wasn't like the Penguins dominated the game, just part of the second period, really.

"We fell behind 2-0, and that's tough at this time of year," Kris Draper said. "But we felt we responded, kept coming at them, and now we're looking for a split. We're going to do everything we can to make sure we win Game 4."

One of the Penguins' goals came off a bad play by Detroit defenseman Brad Stuart, but playoff goals are all about converting an opponent's mistake. The second came on a power play and was answered by Johan Franzen on a Detroit power play, when Franzen looked like Big Brown as he powered to the net and sent the puck across the finish line.

That left the score 2-1 after two periods and set up a lively third period. Pascal Dupuis, still looking for a point this series, nearly got it early in the period, but just before the puck inched across the goal line, Chris Osgood reached back and gloved it. He had no such move ready minutes later, when former Spartan Adam Hall hit the side of the net with the puck, retrieved it behind the net and fired it ahead, hitting the back of Osgood's right skate and sending the puck into the net.

"I'm not going to say it was pure luck," Kirk Maltby said, "because that's a bounce that happens during the course of a series. But it could have been easy for us to just try and go through the motions and finish off the game, but we kept battling, kept plugging away."

The Wings, especially Franzen, steamrolled through the Penguins' defense time and again. Mikael Samuelsson came through with a goal at 13:37 of the third period, and a monumentally stupid play by Evgeni Malkin gave the Wings a power play with under five minutes to play in the game, when he blatantly hooked Niklas Kronwall. The Penguins, backed by a superhuman effort by Marc-Andre Fleury, barely clung to their victory as the minutes wound down.

"We realize how hard it was and how tough it's going to get," Crosby said. "So it feels good to come out of this game on the other side, for sure. But we realize it's only one."

The Wings certainly didn't look intimidated about playing in Pittsburgh, where the Penguins now have a 17-game winning streak. Detroit came out with a strong effort at both ends of the ice. Other than a Ryan Malone attempt on an early power play, Osgood didn't see another shot until past the halfway point of the period.

Osgood's shutout streak ended at 154:58 minutes, when Marian Hossa set up the first of two straight goals by Crosby. Crosby's second goal energized the Penguins to the point where they controlled the game the next several shifts. But the Wings regrouped, bore down, and scored. Franzen, taking a pass from Nicklas Lidstrom, utterly owned Pittsburgh defenseman Rob Scuderi, weaving the puck around him and taking it hard to the net to score No. 13 of the playoffs.

"I felt even better than last game," Franzen said. "I don't feel like I've been away, at all, to be honest with you. Maybe it was a good rest, even."

Franzen's goal came during one of two power plays the Wings got in the second period, both thanks to Hal Gill's inability to battle with Tomas Holmstrom in front of Pittsburgh's net without cross-checking him. Amazingly, Gill didn't draw a penalty in the third period when he dumped Holmstrom so hard in front of Pittsburgh's net Holmstrom slid on his back all the way into the goalie camera.

This series has been extended to at least five games. The Penguins played their best game of the series Wednesday, but the Wings nearly undid their leads, and I just don't see them squandering four more chances to lay claim to the Stanley Cup.

Lord Stiller
05-29-2008, 10:32 AM
a miracle has occurred, I just got the hookup with a free ticket for game 4 :tt02:

X-Terminator
05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Just another reason to dislike Detroit and the Wings. We'll see how arrogant she is when the Pens tie the series up on Saturday night.

Edman
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
And so when the Penguins win Game 4 and tie the series, what will she say then?

rbryan
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I can't get too mad at Detroit fans/media. If the Pens dominated the first two games like they did we'd all be crowing right now too.

Last night was one of the best games I've watched in a long time. NBC must be stoked, not sure what the ratings were but anyone who tuned in was entertained.

IMO Pens need to roll 4 lines, play fast, and hit everything red. If the Wings want to leave Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the ice for what seemed like half the 3rd period you gotta wear them out. I think the biggest advantage the Pens have is a deeper bench. Gotta force Detroit to play thier 3rd and 4th line more.

OneForTheToe
05-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I can't get too mad at Detroit fans/media. If the Pens dominated the first two games like they did we'd all be crowing right now too.

Last night was one of the best games I've watched in a long time. NBC must be stoked, not sure what the ratings were but anyone who tuned in was entertained.

IMO Pens need to roll 4 lines, play fast, and hit everything red. If the Wings want to leave Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the ice for what seemed like half the 3rd period you gotta wear them out. I think the biggest advantage the Pens have is a deeper bench. Gotta force Detroit to play thier 3rd and 4th line more.
http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/534100421/p/1

Here are the numbers by Marc Berman at mediaweek:

4.46 million viewers and a 1.9/ 5 among adults 18-49

Last years finals:

Last year's Game 3 drew only 1.73 million viewers and a 0.5 among adults 18-49.

So, the NHL will never be a ratings bonanza, but what an increase over last year. Dick Ebersol (NBC sports honcho) must be sleeping in a Crosby Jersey. NBC will be happy since they just re-uped their their no licensing fee agreement to show NHL games and the finals next seaon.

edited to add: Isn't it strange how the Pens our hailed as the saviour of hockey by the NHL, while just a few miles away the Pirates remain a non-thought of MLB?

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM

I can honestly say I wouldn't, as I've watched many Stanley Cup playoffs over the years and no matter how dominant one team or the other is at any given point during the series, anything can happen. I'm not one to count my chickens before they're hatched.

Yes - last night's game was extremely entertaining and lived up to the pre-series billing of these two teams meeting in the Stanley Cup finals. :thumbsup:

I would like to see the Pens continue to check the Wings hard as they did last night. I don't think the Wings were really prepared for that, as there was very little hitting by the Pens in the first 2 games.

Saturday can't get here fast enough! LETS GO PENS! :tt03::tt03:

TackleMeBen
05-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Here is the article I meant to post - from Helene St .James of The Detroit Free Press. Arrogant beyotch, aint she?

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/SPORTS05/805290448/1053/SPORTS05

HELENE ST. JAMES | INSIDE THE WINGS

Crosby, Penguins extend series, but Red Wings retain upper hand
May 29, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby delivered a victory in Game 3, but can he and his teammates do it again in three of a possible four opportunities left in this NHL season?

I don't think so. The Red Wings suffered their first loss of the Stanley Cup finals against the Penguins Wednesday night, dropping a 3-2 decision at Mellon Arena that cut Detroit's lead in the series to 2-1. But it wasn't like the Penguins dominated the game, just part of the second period, really.

"We fell behind 2-0, and that's tough at this time of year," Kris Draper said. "But we felt we responded, kept coming at them, and now we're looking for a split. We're going to do everything we can to make sure we win Game 4."

One of the Penguins' goals came off a bad play by Detroit defenseman Brad Stuart, but playoff goals are all about converting an opponent's mistake. The second came on a power play and was answered by Johan Franzen on a Detroit power play, when Franzen looked like Big Brown as he powered to the net and sent the puck across the finish line.

That left the score 2-1 after two periods and set up a lively third period. Pascal Dupuis, still looking for a point this series, nearly got it early in the period, but just before the puck inched across the goal line, Chris Osgood reached back and gloved it. He had no such move ready minutes later, when former Spartan Adam Hall hit the side of the net with the puck, retrieved it behind the net and fired it ahead, hitting the back of Osgood's right skate and sending the puck into the net.

"I'm not going to say it was pure luck," Kirk Maltby said, "because that's a bounce that happens during the course of a series. But it could have been easy for us to just try and go through the motions and finish off the game, but we kept battling, kept plugging away."

The Wings, especially Franzen, steamrolled through the Penguins' defense time and again. Mikael Samuelsson came through with a goal at 13:37 of the third period, and a monumentally stupid play by Evgeni Malkin gave the Wings a power play with under five minutes to play in the game, when he blatantly hooked Niklas Kronwall. The Penguins, backed by a superhuman effort by Marc-Andre Fleury, barely clung to their victory as the minutes wound down.

"We realize how hard it was and how tough it's going to get," Crosby said. "So it feels good to come out of this game on the other side, for sure. But we realize it's only one."

The Wings certainly didn't look intimidated about playing in Pittsburgh, where the Penguins now have a 17-game winning streak. Detroit came out with a strong effort at both ends of the ice. Other than a Ryan Malone attempt on an early power play, Osgood didn't see another shot until past the halfway point of the period.

Osgood's shutout streak ended at 154:58 minutes, when Marian Hossa set up the first of two straight goals by Crosby. Crosby's second goal energized the Penguins to the point where they controlled the game the next several shifts. But the Wings regrouped, bore down, and scored. Franzen, taking a pass from Nicklas Lidstrom, utterly owned Pittsburgh defenseman Rob Scuderi, weaving the puck around him and taking it hard to the net to score No. 13 of the playoffs.

"I felt even better than last game," Franzen said. "I don't feel like I've been away, at all, to be honest with you. Maybe it was a good rest, even."

Franzen's goal came during one of two power plays the Wings got in the second period, both thanks to Hal Gill's inability to battle with Tomas Holmstrom in front of Pittsburgh's net without cross-checking him. Amazingly, Gill didn't draw a penalty in the third period when he dumped Holmstrom so hard in front of Pittsburgh's net Holmstrom slid on his back all the way into the goalie camera.

This series has been extended to at least five games. The Penguins played their best game of the series Wednesday, but the Wings nearly undid their leads, and I just don't see them squandering four more chances to lay claim to the Stanley Cup.

i read that this morning in the paper.

SteelCityMan786
05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Amen brotha! :drink: I give my 1,000th :upyours: to that big cherry pickin' oaf Holmstrom. What a puss. I loved watching Gill get in his grill all night long. :laughing:

1 More win and we're back in this series completely.

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
1 More win and we're back in this series completely.

We're back in it already SCM! :thumbsup: They got their confidence back last night and played like we are used to seeing them play in these playoffs. Everyone on the team contributed to that win last night in one way or another. Just goes to show you the versatility of this team. Take away the neutral zone, they'll burn you on dumps. Play a physical game on 'em and they'll give it right back. They can play however the Wings want to play. We proved it last night - the Wings are not unbeatable and sure as hell are not invinceable! :tt03::drink:

Osgood was shakin' in his skates last night when the Pens were surrounding his net - you could see how freaked out he was. :laughing::toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
05-29-2008, 04:17 PM
We're back in it already SCM! :thumbsup: They got their confidence back last night and played like we are used to seeing them play in these playoffs. Everyone on the team contributed to that win last night in one way or another. Just goes to show you the versatility of this team. Take away the neutral zone, they'll burn you on dumps. Smash 'em against the boards and they're gonna smash back. They can play however the Wings want to play. We proved it last night - the Wings are not unbeatable and sure as hell not invinceable! :tt03::drink:

I'm talking in terms of making this a brand new series. A win would make this a Best of 3. I think the Penguins as long as they play as hard as they did last night or better, will be raising lord stanley's cup by as early as June 4th.

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm talking in terms of making this a brand new series. A win would make this a Best of 3. I think the Penguins as long as they play as hard as they did last night or better, will be raising lord stanley's cup by as early as June 4th.

I knew what you meant. Just adding a little "flavor". :chuckle:

No matter how it is sliced, the Pens will have to win at least 1 game in Detroit. Their play has improved every game and if last night was any indication of being back on the rise, the Wings should be a little concerned.

Edman
05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Edited to add: Isn't it strange how the Pens our hailed as the saviour of hockey by the NHL, while just a few miles away the Pirates remain a non-thought of MLB?

Well, I think it stems from the inner intangible of this Stanley Cup finals.

The Wings are supposed to resemble tradition, the "old guard" so to speak. Pre-Lockout Hockey. The Pens are the representative of post-lockout exciting Hockey. They're the youth, they're exciting, they're "the new beginning" or something like that. Sid the Kid is not even legal yet and he's already skating circles in the Stanley Cup Finals. That could have something to do with this years finals getting more attention than last years, too.

The Pirates are irrelevant because at this point, they still stink. But they would make a hell of a feel good story if they made a playoff run of their own one day.

tony hipchest
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I just got done watching the third period (had to DVR it because I had to leave for work), and all I can say is WOW. Best period of hockey I've seen so far in the playoffs, no question about it. That 5 minute stretch was awesome, and had everything - great skating, scoring chances galore, big hits (Orpik with 4 hits in 10 seconds!), big saves, a couple of posts...you name it. how bout what seemed like a dozen broken sticks? i dont think ive ever seen so much lumber on ice. even a novice like me could feel the intensity pick up, especially when orpic came out like the tazmanian devil and was completely BLASTING fools.

i dont know if it was the arena acoustics, or fan enthusiasm, but the crowd sounded significantly louder in game 3 than the previous 2 in detroit.

one other thing i noticed is that detroit is still very adept at clogging the pens passing lanes and creating easy turnovers. i havent seen them look so sloppy with the puck all year.

and i gotta give credit to detroits #55. he hits like a football player, meaning that he doesnt hit the target, he hits through the target. very sound technique, and a player i keep my eye on, all the time, on the other side.

i hope the young pens put this win behind them, just like they did their previous playoff losses, because last night was still close. i think they still need to come out with the frame of mind that they need to win the next 2 to even have a shot.

X-Terminator
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
i read that this morning in the paper.

And...? Your point?

I knew what you meant. Just adding a little "flavor". :chuckle:

No matter how it is sliced, the Pens will have to win at least 1 game in Detroit. Their play has improved every game and if last night was any indication of being back on the rise, the Wings should be a little concerned.

I doubt that the Wings are concerned - they are a confident bunch. But you'd better believe they got a big-time wake-up call last night. If Mikael Samuelsson's quote was any indication - when he said that the Pens came at them harder than they expected - then some of them must have felt that the Pens would roll over and die. They think they came at them hard last night? Wait until Saturday night.

how bout what seemed like a dozen broken sticks? i dont think ive ever seen so much lumber on ice. even a novice like me could feel the intensity pick up, especially when orpic came out like the tazmanian devil and was completely BLASTING fools.

i dont know if it was the arena acoustics, or fan enthusiasm, but the crowd sounded significantly louder in game 3 than the previous 2 in detroit.

one other thing i noticed is that detroit is still very adept at clogging the pens passing lanes and creating easy turnovers. i havent seen them look so sloppy with the puck all year.

and i gotta give credit to detroits #55. he hits like a football player, meaning that he doesnt hit the target, he hits through the target. very sound technique, and a player i keep my eye on, all the time, on the other side.

i hope the young pens put this win behind them, just like they did their previous playoff losses, because last night was still close. i think they still need to come out with the frame of mind that they need to win the next 2 to even have a shot.

It was a combination of both, actually. Mellon Arena has great acoustics and traps sound in very well, and even when there's small crowds, the place is loud as hell when the fans get into it. Plus, with the seating configuration, the fans are right on top of you at ice level, which makes it difficult for the players to communicate verbally as loud as it is. The Pens feed off the crowd's enthusiasm, and why it's so tough for opposing teams to play here. If there's one thing I want them to do when the new arena opens is that it has the same acoustics and the seating configuration is pretty similar to Mellon.

Yes, Nicklas Kronwall does deliver some big hits, but he also leaves his feet quite a bit to make those hits, which is illegal, yet he never gets a penalty for charging. It's easy to deliver a big blow when you launch yourself into your opponent.

HometownGal
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I doubt that the Wings are concerned - they are a confident bunch. But you'd better believe they got a big-time wake-up call last night. If Mikael Samuelsson's quote was any indication - when he said that the Pens came at them harder than they expected - then some of them must have felt that the Pens would roll over and die. They think they came at them hard last night? Wait until Saturday night.

Seems to me they may have been a little over-confident.

Mellon Arena is going to be rockin' on Saturday night! :tt03:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-29-2008, 08:44 PM
The score was close, but the game wasn't last night. The Pens really dominated last night's game against the Red Wings. The killed off Red Wing power plays, they played aggressive.

In the first two games in Detroit, it kind of looked like at times they were watching the Red Wings instead of playing against them. But last night, they came out and showed everyone that they were not done.

They've got their confidence back, and that's huge. If we win Saturday night (and we will), I beleive that we can take one in Detroit and win the Stanley Cup.

LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Holmstrom is not up to par, says Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter
PITTSBURGH -- The injury spotlight that was focused on Johan Franzen early in the Stanley Cup Finals could be shifting to Tomas Holmstrom.

The Red Wings refuted a TSN report Thursday that said Holmstrom is suffering from groin/sports hernia condition.

Wings coach Mike Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter said Thursday that Holmstrom "didn't feel too good" after Game 3 but expected Holmstrom to have enough time to recover and play Saturday.

Holmstrom has some kind of lower-body injury, possibly in a knee, after taking a hard fall while scrapping with Pittsburgh defenseman Hal Gill late in the third period.

The incident occurred with approximately six minutes left. Holmstrom didn't return.

"They were battling for position, and he (Holmstrom) kind of went down awkwardly," Nicklas Lidstrom said.

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/SPORTS0103/805300388/1128

he looked like he got hurt in game 3.

X-Terminator
05-30-2008, 06:31 AM
So I guess he wasn't faking after all when Gill dumped him on his ass late in the game. It would be a tough loss if he can't go, but Franzen likely would step in his place on the top line and wouldn't miss a beat. I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but I bet you he got the message loud and clear about parking his big ass in front of Fleury. That said, I expect him to suit up and play tomorrow night - it's the SCF, and you can't trust injury reports this time of year.

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
So I guess he wasn't faking after all when Gill dumped him on his ass late in the game. It would be a tough loss if he can't go, but Franzen likely would step in his place on the top line and wouldn't miss a beat. I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but I bet you he got the message loud and clear about parking his big ass in front of Fleury. That said, I expect him to suit up and play tomorrow night - it's the SCF, and you can't trust injury reports this time of year.
they dont call franzen the mule for nothing. :wink02: i am sure holmstrom will suit up and play but how much ice time will depend on how serious this injury is. i thought he was hurt when he was grimacing on the bench, and not faking it.

X-Terminator
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
they dont call franzen the mule for nothing. :wink02: i am sure holmstrom will suit up and play but how much ice time will depend on how serious this injury is. i thought he was hurt when he was grimacing on the bench, and not faking it.

I don't see a mule, but I DO see a jackass...

If Holmstrom plays injured, I can't see him spending a whole lot of time doing anything other than playing the PP. He already skates like he has a stick up his ass - any leg injury would make him even slower and thus limit his effectiveness 5-on-5. If Babs is smart and the injury is serious enough to warrant him sitting out, he should sit him. But as I said, this is the SCF - if Alfredsson can play with a torn MCL and Timonen can play with a blood clot in his ankle, then he can play with a knee/groin injury.

HometownGal
05-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Holmstrom is the only Red Wing that I don't like, and I did think he was faking his injury to try to draw a penalty. That being said, however, I don't like to see any player injured (not even Fagomir). Dollars to donuts sez he suits up for tomorrow night's game and if he does, I hope Gill is as relentless as he was on Wednesday night knocking him out of in front of Fleury's net. :tt03:

Preacher
05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
When is the game tomorrow night?

What time? and is it still on Verses?

X-Terminator
05-30-2008, 04:37 PM
When is the game tomorrow night?

What time? and is it still on Verses?

8pm, NBC.

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Here we go again: Therrien rants about Wings obstructing

Apparently Michel Therrien sees something that I didn't hear Nashville's Barry Trotz, Colorado's Joel Quenneville, or Dallas' Dave Tippett discuss with such passion in any of the first three rounds of the playoffs: That the Wings are the most obstructing team that's ever obstructed in the NHL.

Therrien has said it after every game this series, and was at it again Friday.

“The last game, before the game, I was complaining about the obstruction," he said. "And for good reason. For good reason. I can't sit here and say there's no obstruction. I'm not going to lie. If there's obstruction, there's obstruction. If there's no obstruction, there's no obstruction

When I see this about 13, 14 clips that I've seen that I could tell there should be a penalty regarding the book, I'm expecting. I know how it is. I'm not expecting they're going to call 14.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/BLOG09/80530106/1048/sports

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Holmstrom is the only Red Wing that I don't like, and I did think he was faking his injury to try to draw a penalty. That being said, however, I don't like to see any player injured (not even Fagomir). Dollars to donuts sez he suits up for tomorrow night's game and if he does, I hope Gill is as relentless as he was on Wednesday night knocking him out of in front of Fleury's net. :tt03:
Homstrom doesn't skate but plans to play

PITTSBURGH -- Tomas Holmstrom didn't skate Friday but sounded optimistic about playing Saturday in Game (http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/SPORTS0103/805300440/1004/SPORTS#) 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals.
Holmstrom has been bothered with a lower body injury suffered late in the third period of Game 3. But after two days of treatment, Holmstrom and coach were hopeful Holmstrom would be ready to play.
"That's the way it looks," Holmstrom said when asked if he was planning to play. "It feels good. One more day of rest (Friday). I'll be OK."

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/SPORTS0103/805300440/1004/SPORTS

HometownGal
05-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Apparently Michel Therrien sees something that I didn't hear Nashville's Barry Trotz, Colorado's Joel Quenneville, or Dallas' Dave Tippett discuss with such passion in any of the first three rounds of the playoffs: That the Wings are the most obstructing team that's ever obstructed in the NHL.

“The last game, before the game, I was complaining about the obstruction," he said. "And for good reason. For good reason. I can't sit here and say there's no obstruction. I'm not going to lie. If there's obstruction, there's obstruction. If there's no obstruction, there's no obstruction

When I see this about 13, 14 clips that I've seen that I could tell there should be a penalty regarding the book, I'm expecting. I know how it is. I'm not expecting they're going to call 14.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/BLOG09/80530106/1048/sports

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

As Therrien isn't a coach who is a habitual whiner, there must be something to his beliefs. I've seen what he is complaining about and feel he has a legitimate beef. The Wings get away with a LOT of clutching and grabbing.

As for that asstard Holmstrom - he'd best have eyes in the back of that melon of his tomorrow night. :laughing::thumbsup: The USS Gill will have Holmstrom on his radar all night long.

Preacher
05-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Man..........

There was a time in this league when clutching and grabbing was taken care of by a quick jab to the head... a yank of the helment.. a few haymakers.

You go to box for two minutes... feel shame.

(bonus point for anyone who gets the last line.... what movie and who said it?)

then it was all over and you played hockey again.

I can't say how much of an old man I feel right now...

Back in my day... :old:

TackleMeBen
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Man..........

You go to box for two minutes... feel shame.

(bonus point for anyone who gets the last line.... what movie and who said it?)

then it was all over and you played hockey again.

:old:
was it from slapshots?

BettisFan
05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
anyone going to the game?

steelpride12
05-30-2008, 11:23 PM
ME ME ME!!!!

X-Terminator
05-30-2008, 11:42 PM

Another anti-Pens article...how nice. :coffee:

But whatever - I don't really give a rat's ass what anyone in "Hockeytown" thinks, to be honest. They can all whine as much as they want, and I'm not one to complain about officiating, but the fact of the matter is that even in the game on Wednesday, there were at least half a dozen times that I saw where Pens players have been held up, hooked and interfered with, and the referees swallowed their whistles. Therrien has a legitimate argument - if it's a penalty during the regular season and early playoffs, then it's a penalty now. All he's asking for is some consistency.

And if Holmstrom plays, I hope the Pens show him absolutely no mercy and make him wish he had watched the game from the press box. You play with a known injury in the playoffs, you become a target.

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Just put out a new segment on tonights game

http://www.moesportsblog.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/5/31_Stanley_Cup_game_4.html

"Well everyone its Saturday and you know what that means! Penguins Redwings game 3! Tonight game should be another amazing game with the Pens coming out on top. The Penguins are 17-0 at home since the end of February, the team fell comfortable at home and plays alot better and more concise. If the Pens win tonight that will make it a 3 game series which means one thing big advantage for the Pens! Why you say, well the majority of Penguins are 30 and under while the majority of the Redwings are 30 and older with some way over 30. The Pens will have alot more energy, and toughness which is why they will win it all in 6 games."

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Just heard on the radio that Holmstrom will not play tonight. Tough loss for the Wings, but I'm not expecting anything different from them.

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 07:25 PM
there we go hossa scores in the first couple minutes we got this game we wont let up the lead!

The Duke
05-31-2008, 07:25 PM
nice start!

hossa goal!

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 07:27 PM
omg and almost hossa again off the crossbar!!

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Lidstrom scores for the redwings 1-1

KeiselPower99
05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
The Igloo looks rocking tonight!!!!! Tied at 1 11 minutes to play 1st period. Lets go PENS!!!!!

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Lidstrom scores for the redwings 1-1

Gonchar screened his own goalie on that one - Fleury never saw it.

HometownGal
05-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Gonchar screened his own goalie on that one - Fleury never saw it.

Sad but true. He was in front of the net to block and he ended up blocking Fleury's view.

I'm sick and freakin' tired of the Wings' clutching and holding and it being ignored by the refs. I know they can't call it on every play, but the Wings are so obvious about it. That diving call on Talbot was bullshit with a capital B - he was shoved to the ice. :mad:

Pens are playing skate to skate with the Wings but I'd like to see a LOT more hitting in the next two periods.

The resident Wings fan seems to be MIA tonight. :wink02::laughing:

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

HometownGal
05-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Message to the Pens:

Stop trying to make the pretty pass and SHOOT THE PUCK!!!!!!!!!

Still 1-1 at the end of 2.

These NBC announcers SUCK. They feel every time one of the Pens checks a Wing, it should be interference. :banging::banging:

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 08:54 PM
These NBC announcers SUCK. They feel every time one of the Pens checks a Wing, it should be interference. :banging::banging:

Yep - noticed that. And when one of the Wings pretty much mugs one of the Pens, it's "great defense." :rolleyes:

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Message to the Pens:

Stop trying to make the pretty pass and SHOOT THE PUCK!!!!!!!!!

Still 1-1 at the end of 2.

Yeah, let's not even mention the fact that Andreas Lilja twice hit Pens from behind before they touched the puck, which is textbook interference, yet no call on either one. :coffee: I finally had enough and turned on the radio broadcast with Lange and Bourque - you can only listen to them suck the Wings' asses for so long.

I also agree that the Pens need to shoot more - they have passed up a lot of shots in this game. The way both teams are playing defensively, goals on pretty plays just aren't going to happen. Get the puck to the net, look for a rebound and create some traffic around Osgood. THAT is how you're going to beat him.

BTW, I've also noticed that our resident Wings fan isn't here tonight. :wink::laughing:

HometownGal
05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Absolutely - the Pens need to crash the net and get someone in front of Osgood.

Period #3 is about to start - it's going to be a humdinger. C'mon Pens - let's seal the deal here and go to Detroit tied up. :tt03:

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM
w0w the refs looked over a penalty and gave the redwings the goal its 2-1 redwings

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
jeez come on Pens just shoot the puck put some preasure on osgood

HometownGal
05-31-2008, 09:20 PM
How many freakin' times is Malkin going to be tripped, hooked and slashed without a penalty being called? This is insane!!! :mad::mad::mad:

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Malkin pulled down away from the puck - no call again. These refs are friggin AWFUL!

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
1:20 for a 5 on 3 for us!!

The Duke
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
now they're calling the penalties

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:28 PM
oh come on!! We cant score with a 5 on 3!!

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:30 PM
wow we are playing horrbile offense

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
They absolutely had to score on that 5-on-3. Give the Wings and Zetterberg credit - they did a good job.

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:43 PM
well if we lose tonight no way we come back

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
dammmmmiiit! We lost its over

TackleMeBen
05-31-2008, 09:48 PM
HTG & X

you wouldnt happen be looking for me????lol.. i do have other things to do at night..lol.. but i am here now.. and looks like the pens just lost... one game away and lord stanley will be back to hockeytown.. and the wings win and gave you guys your first home loss in how many games????

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 09:52 PM
HTG & X

you wouldnt happen be looking for me????lol.. i do have other things to do at night..lol.. but i am here now.. and looks like the pens just lost... one game away and lord stanley will be back to hockeytown.. and the wings win and gave you guys your first home loss in how many games????

Thank you very much for showing in just one short paragraph what we've known all along - that you were a Wings fan in sheep's clothing. Don't know why you kept up your charade for so long, but you weren't fooling anyone, especially not me.

Edman
05-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Nuts. It still isn't over, but this doesn't look good at all headed back to Detroit. The Wings are a good team, give 'em credit as well.

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 10:01 PM
If we cant score on a 5-3 we dont really deserve this.... this sucks!

TackleMeBen
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you very much for showing in just one short paragraph what we've known all along - that you were a Wings fan in sheep's clothing. Don't know why you kept up your charade for so long, but you weren't fooling anyone, especially not me.

i was making a statement. since you all seemed to wonder where i was. and i personally dont care what you think. i am not really a hockey fan but you all seemed to think that young players were better than experienced players. there was no charade going on b/c i dont really care about the wings.. but if they win the cup just for you X i will go to the parade and take pictures for you :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
there was no charade going on b/c i dont really care about the wings..

Yeah, right. :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
05-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Lets forget this game and get ready for redemption and potentially make what happend 33 years ago to us happen to the Wings.

All Starts Monday. No Matter what, lets stand behind this team. :jammin:

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 10:18 PM
i was making a statement. since you all seemed to wonder where i was. and i personally dont care what you think. i am not really a hockey fan but you all seemed to think that young players were better than experienced players. there was no charade going on b/c i dont really care about the wings.. but if they win the cup just for you X i will go to the parade and take pictures for you :chuckle:

If you didn't care what I thought, you wouldn't have responded. And if you aren't a hockey fan or a Wings fan (which is still BS), why did you feel the need to ingratiate yourself into the PENS TIDBITS thread, or think about going to the parade if the Wings win, or post those pictures from the Detroit paper in the Blast Furnace? You were never here to talk hockey, and only pretended to root for the Pens - the only person you were fooling was yourself. I don't give a damn if you were a Wings fan or not - just admit it from the start and this could have been avoided. BTW - how did you even think we were talking about you when we mentioned "resident Wings fan?" It was only a matter of time before you outed yourself anyway, even though we all knew from the start.

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Lets forget this game and get ready for redemption and potentially make what happend 33 years ago to us happen to the Wings.

All Starts Monday. No Matter what, lets stand behind this team. :jammin:

Well, we're actually down 3-1, so we wouldn't break any records. However, we have come back from 3-1 deficits before, so it still isn't over. I know I'm not giving up, that's for sure. And even if we lose Monday, that's OK. In a couple of years, with our young core and their experience gained from this playoff season, they'll be sipping champagne from Lord Stanley's Cup. The Wings? Half of their team will be in an assisted living community. So you tell me who has the brighter future? :tt03:

BettisFan
05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Well about to doze off gotta catch a flight to the burgh to my new house early in the morning

SteelCityMan786
05-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, we're actually down 3-1, so we wouldn't break any records. However, we have come back from 3-1 deficits before, so it still isn't over. I know I'm not giving up, that's for sure. And even if we lose Monday, that's OK. In a couple of years, with our young core and their experience gained from this playoff season, they'll be sipping champagne from Lord Stanley's Cup. The Wings? Half of their team will be in an assisted living community. So you tell me who has the brighter future? :tt03:

I was saying we're down 3-1. And at that point we were up 3-1(In 1975). In 1942 a Detroit fell 3-1 to 4-3. We CAN do this and force Detroit to suffer our misery. :drink:

X-Terminator
05-31-2008, 10:45 PM
I was saying we're down 3-1. And at that point we were up 3-1(In 1975). In 1942 a Detroit fell 3-1 to 4-3. We CAN do this and force Detroit to suffer our misery. :drink:

Those were 3-0 leads in both scenarios, and are the only 2 times it's happened. Quite a few teams have come back from 3-1 deficits. The Pens themselves did it twice in the 90s.

SteelCityMan786
05-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Those were 3-0 leads in both scenarios, and are the only 2 times it's happened. Quite a few teams have come back from 3-1 deficits. The Pens themselves did it twice in the 90s.

Nevermind. But they can still pull off the 1971 Blackhawks run.

jjpro11
06-01-2008, 01:08 AM
i dont care if its football or not.. if the steelers could reel off 8 straight wins (facing elimination each week) and win the super bowl behind a 2nd year qb and 33 year old running back, then this team full of young, fiery talent is very well capable. the odds are obviously stacked, but what the hell? this is a sport, and in sports anything can happen. Just this past february we saw one of the most improbable wins in sports history.

OneForTheToe
06-01-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't count the Pens out of game 5. The Wings have sometimes played like their brethren the Pistons, where they inexplicably let a team back into a series just when it would seem to be a lock.. And lets face it, if the Pens are going to come back in this series, they are going to need a few breaks and hopefully will get that bad game from the Wings at "the Joe." After which, you try and use the crowed at Mellon Arena and come out fired up for game 6. It is unlikely the Wings would fold in a game 7, but in one game anything can happen. Fluery could stand on his head, Sid or Malkin or someone else could go ballistic. In any case, hopefully, with little pressure, the Pens will relax for game 5, play their game, and get some breaks for once.

rbryan
06-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Tough loss, could have gone either way. I think it was the best game the Pens played this series so keep the faith. No doubt the Pens are going to need some luck to pull this out but stranger things have happened.

Detroit is an awsome team and deserve a lot of credit. Like one of the announcers mentioned Wed, the experience the Pens are getting right now is like getting your MBA from Harvard Business School. The Pens time will come.

HometownGal
06-01-2008, 11:24 AM
This diehard Pens fan hasn't lost faith in the Pens being able to turn this around. I know it's a longshot, but as rbryan so correctly stated above - stranger things have happened.

The Wings are an excellent and very well rounded hockey club and play defense better than just about any team out there. I give credit where credit is due. Unfortunately for them, though, this season and possibly next season may be their last shot in a while to win the Cup, as they currently have 14 active players who are over 30. The Pens, however, have 17 players under 30 and are only going to get better. I believe they are going to be scary-good.

No matter how Game #5 turns out, I'm so proud of this extremely talented group of guys who took us on an unbelievable journey this season and gives us a whole helluva lot to look forward to in the coming seasons! :drink::tt03:

millwalldavey
06-01-2008, 12:28 PM
If I can get back into watching hockey... I may jump on the wagon!

SteelCityMan786
06-01-2008, 01:20 PM
This diehard Pens fan hasn't lost faith in the Pens being able to turn this around. I know it's a longshot, but as rbryan so correctly stated above - stranger things have happened.

The Wings are an excellent and very well rounded hockey club and play defense better than just about any team out there. I give credit where credit is due. Unfortunately for them, though, this season and possibly next season may be their last shot in a while to win the Cup, as they currently have 14 active players who are over 30. The Pens, however, have 17 players under 30 and are only going to get better. I believe they are going to be scary-good.

No matter how Game #5 turns out, I'm so proud of this extremely talented group of guys who took us on an unbelievable journey this season and gives us a whole helluva lot to look forward to in the coming seasons! :drink::tt03:

I still stand behind this team no matter what

Here's to a win and the start of one of hockey's greatest comebacks. :drink:

X-Terminator
06-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I know I haven't lost faith in them, and I haven't given up. No way. If the Red Wings have at least one more goal than the Pens when the clock runs out in regulation or in OT, then I will give up. But not one second before. The Pens have come back from 3-1 deficits before. I believe they can do it again. And if they don't, then they've had an incredible and improbable run, gaining plenty of experience which will only serve them well in the coming seasons, as there WILL be another Stanley Cup championship banner hanging in the rafters within the next 3 seasons. As for the Wings, their fans had better hope they drafted well, because this is their last shot together. Of those 14 players over the age of 30, 8 of them are over 35 (Draper, Maltby, Osgood, Drake, McCarty, Lidstrom, Hasek and Chelios), and Hasek and Chelios are both over 40. That's 1/3 of their team! You'd think most of those guys will be retired within the next 3 years, so they pretty much had to get it done now. Meanwhile, the young Pens will continue to improve, and I think they ultimately will unseat the Wings as the best team in the league - and will be for a long, long time.

LET'S GO PENS!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

jjpro11
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
if they can just somehow win game 5 then all the hype and energy will skyrocket heading into game 6 at home. game 6 would be the loudest yet at mellon arena. the wings all want to close it out at home, if the pens can spoil that opportunity in game 5, the wings could get restless for game 6. and of course anything is possible in a game 7.

stlrtruck
06-02-2008, 07:36 AM
I was disappointed in their efforts late in the third, especially after they had a 5-on-3 and couldn't squeeze the puck in the net. However, with that being said, I'm behind the boys in the Black and Gold.

They're not out of it, they've got to play at least one more game and I believe the Pens will come out and revenge the loss at home the other night. It's time to put a collective skate in the wings' arse!!

LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS
LETS GO PENS

memphissteelergirl
06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm pretty new to hockey, but I think I know enough make this observation....the Red Wings have a heckuva good team. If they could dominate defensively like they did on a 5 on 3...? Geez....

Nevertheless, I am hopeful that the Pens can make a stand tonight and stay alive. They just have to summon the mindset they had during the series with the Rangers and Flyers. It can be done....I just hope the fight has not gone out of them.

LET'S GO PENS!! :cheers:

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 08:54 AM
The fourth win in any best-of-seven series is the hardest to get. Go Pens! :tt02:

Counselor
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself! I love Hockey in June! :hatsoff: to both teams for an exiting series----lets bring this back to the burgh another one. LETS GO PENS!

BettisFan
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
any of you going to mellon arena tonight to watch? I was thinking about it, any one know if its worth it ?

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
A little over 4 hours until game time. It makes me proud as a Pens fan to see so many of you keeping the faith in our awesome team! :tt03::drink: I don't believe the Wings are a better overall team than the Pens (as evidenced by the 1 goal loss on Saturday night) and I know they believe in themselves and each other, so I think we're in for one whale of a game! :applaudit:

LETS GO PENS!

BettisFan - XT and I went to Mellon Arena to watch the game on Memorial Day and it was a blast! Total playoff atmosphere and there were probably 10,000 fans in attendance - it was quite loud and the Lets Go Pens chants were ongoing most of the evening. Well worth the $5.00 (which goes to Mario Lemieux's Foundation), so if you have the chance to go, I'd say do it! :thumbsup:

Edman
06-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I like the Penguins mentality. Forget winning three games. Just worry about winning one. Just one game.

It's do or die for the Pens.

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I like the Penguins mentality. Forget winning three games. Just worry about winning one. Just one game.

It's do or die for the Pens.

Absolutely Ed. :drink: One game at a time.

Looks like the big lummox will be back in the Wings lineup tonight. :applaudit::applaudit: I hope Gill gets in his grill every chance he gets. :tt03:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=364953

Holmstrom well enough for Game 5 return

NHL.com Staff Jun 1, 2008, 6:39 PM EDT

The Red Wings will get back a big cog in their offense for Game 5 in the form of Tomas Holmstrom, who missed Game 4 with a hamstring injury. The winger has 12 points through 19 games in the postseason.

DETROIT -- After being forced to miss Game 4 in Pittsburgh with a hamstring injury, Red Wings forward Tomas Holmstrom will be in the lineup on Monday night when Detroit attempts to win its fourth championship in 11 seasons (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio).

Holmstrom skated Saturday morning at Mellon Arena but was scratched and replaced by Darren McCarty. The injury took place late in the third place Wednesday after a collision with Penguins defenseman Hal Gill.

"They didn't want me to really pull it, otherwise I'd be out for the rest of the playoffs," Holmstrom said of skipping Game 4. "It worked out good. The boys played great. We had a good win there."

The worst part, of course, was being forced to watch his team cling to a one-goal lead, especially when the Wings were forced to kill a two-man advantage in the third period.

"It was terrible," he said. "There's nothing worse. But it's easy when you can see the guys playing really good. I look forward to tomorrow. I'm feeling good."

Lord Stiller
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I hope they start Goligoski over Scuderi, that would be a nice change of pace

It's now or never boys, lets get er done!

GBMelBlount
06-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Goal. 1-0 penguins.

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 07:35 PM
WOO HOOOO!!! Great play by Hoss! :tt03::tt03:

GBMelBlount
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
2-0 penguins.

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
YEE HAW!!!!! Adam Hall puts the Pens ahead 2-0!

The Duke
06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
pens are not giving up

gotta love this team :tt03:

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
pens are not giving up

gotta love this team :tt03:

Damned straight! :tt03:

Pens outplayed the Wings in the first and are giving this game 150%. I can't believe the NBC schmos actually said the Pens "have been amazing" during the first period. They'll probably be fired. :chuckle:

Edman
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
The Penguins will not and refuse to die. I can't believe this, but it's happening.

section514
06-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I have my terrible towel out for some luck MYRON IS WITH THE PENS! haha

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 08:10 PM
MYRON IS WITH THE PENS! haha

Along with Badger Bob. :tt03:

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
OMG - Gonchar went head first into the boards and Malone got hit square in the face with the puck. Gonchar may be back, but I think Bugsy is done for the night - he was playing with a broken nose to begin with.

Pens gave up the puck a little too much that period for my liking but are holding their own. Fleury is playing amazing in goal once again. I'd really like to see us get another couple of goals in the third.

LETS GO PENS!!!

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Fasten your seatbelts - the third period is going to be brutal! :tt03:

Good news - Gonchar and Malone will be back for the 3rd. :thumbsup:

section514
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
just watched the nhl boradcast online malone and gonchar are on the bench

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
DAMN! :banging:

EDIT: Never mind. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
All I can say is....

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GGGOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Suhweet

GBMelBlount
06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
2-2. The Pens are gonna have to dig REAL deep right now.

Crushzilla
06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
The current Penguins counter attack is looking very familiar... The puck isn't leaving the Pens zone.

If they don't pull this together its going to be the offseason...

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
finally. 10 min w/o a freaking shot!

Edman
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
God I feel sick. Unbelieveable.

GBMelBlount
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Yep, these guys are exhausted and running on fumes....but anything can happen.

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
smothering defense. can barely complete a pass...

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
TIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GBMelBlount
06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Unbelievable 3-3!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 09:40 PM
O M F G - - - Max scores with 42 seconds left to tie it at 3-3!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PENS!!!!

Edman
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
We got overtime folks!

HometownGal
Gotta just love these Pens - they never gave up! :tt03::tt03::thumbsup:

Gonchar has only played 1 shift this period - he's not even on the bench.

fansince'76
Wow! :applaudit:

The Duke
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
this are going to be some intense minutes. brace yourselves!!

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
a goal in the 1st minute of OT would definitely help me quit smoking.

section514
06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
good luck routine for overtime, do a shot of any liquor that you have the cheaper the better! make it burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

section514
06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
before the start of OT

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
good luck routine for overtime, do a shot of any liquor that you have the cheaper the better! make it burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't drink much, but I just did a shot of Stoleys. My nerves are SHOT! :drink:

The refs won't call anything in the OT period unless its flagrant, so be prepared for a bloodbath!

LETS GO PENS!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

section514
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
http://dve.com/pages/pens.html

Edman
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
One goal decides it all. This is it.

Really sucks that we miss Gonchar.

The Duke

any excuse to drink is good :alcoholic

HometownGal
Here we go..............................:tt03:

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Stop passing and SHOOT! :doh:

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I hope Fleury goes into the locker room and kicks all of them square in the ass. The only reason the Pens are still in this game is because of his incredible play in the net.

I agree, Gary - SHOOT THE PUCK GUYS!!!! :banging:

section514
06-02-2008, 10:31 PM
take more shots of liquor before the start of OT2!

Crushzilla
06-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow, that was intense...

Edman
06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
The Pens gotta stop dicking around with the puck. What a wasted opportunity.

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 10:44 PM
The Pens gotta stop dicking around with the puck. What a wasted opportunity.

Especially the fact that the refs rarely call anything in OT. The ice is deteriorating but they've got to get more pucks to the net.

I know one player doesn't make the entire team what it is, but the Pens sorely miss Gonchar on the D.

C'mon guys - 2nd OT - let's get 'r done! :tt03::tt03:

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
im sick of detroit penalties still looking like 5 on 5.

now is the time!

Preacher
06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I just started watching the game going into the second OT...

Fleury sure has had some good saves so far...

Gotta admit... I was shocked to see that penalty called.

If it was a goal, it should have been waved off for goalie interference... but I am not sure about the penalty.