PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 11:01 PM
wow. fleury is playing out of his mind.

it cant go on forever though, he definitely needs some help.

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
*biting nails, smoking cigs*

Preacher
06-02-2008, 11:07 PM
this is what I like about OT hockey...

Dump and chase... physical in the corners trying to get the puck...

This is pond hockey at its finest!!!

The heart of the game!

X-Terminator
06-02-2008, 11:09 PM
The game is still going on, and where am I? At work and can't watch. Life just isn't fair...

Preacher
06-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Just like the Redwings penalty...

that should have NEVER been called.

Preacher
06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Anyone need CPR?

section514
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
MORE SHOTS!!!!!!!!!! SOMETHING CHEAP

Crushzilla
06-02-2008, 11:18 PM
The game is still going on, and where am I? At work and can't watch. Life just isn't fair...

I feel sorry for you.

There aren't many people i know that deserve to be watching this insanity as much as you.

Don't worry, they will probably still be playing when you get off. :sofunny:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
This is freaking nerve racking. As TO would Say -----

"get 'yer :popcorn: ready

Crushzilla
MORE SHOTS!!!!!!!!!! SOMETHING CHEAP

At this rate, you'll be dead by morning.

fansince'76
This isn't a game, it's a marathon. :sweating:

Crushzilla
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to study for a test I have after work tomorrow...

Looks like I'm going to be wired on caffeine all day tomorrow...

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM

I hope you recorded it on the DVR, XT. It's one helluva game!

This is where the Pens young legs have the advantage imho. They just need to get more shots on net and help Fleury out - he's getting barraged with shots back there.

X-Terminator
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I feel sorry for you.

There aren't many people i know that deserve to be watching this insanity as much as you.

Don't worry, they will probably still be playing when you get off. :sofunny:

Thanks. Believe me, it's almost as nerve-racking having to refresh the screen to get the latest update. I have to think though that the longer this game goes on, the more it favors the Pens with their younger legs, but you never know.

Preacher
06-02-2008, 11:24 PM

This is where the Pens young legs have the advantage imho. They just need to get more shots on net and help Fleury out - he's getting barraged with shots back there.

The few times I have seen him, he really has impressed me in goal.

I cringe at his stick handling a bit... but he sure can protect the net.

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks. Believe me, it's almost as nerve-racking having to refresh the screen to get the latest update. I have to think though that the longer this game goes on, the more it favors the Pens with their younger legs, but you never know.

Don't know if you're allowed to watch live streams at work, but here's one if you can: http://www.justin.tv/richsportsonline

X-Terminator
06-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Unfortunately I did not even think DVR it :doh: So I'm going to miss out on it completely. I've read where Fleury's been getting peppered with shots - that absolutely can't happen too much longer, because eventually one is going to go in.

The Duke
06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm trying to study for a test I have after work tomorrow...

Looks like I'm going to be wired on caffeine all day tomorrow...

same here, but hey, it's worth it :tt03:

X-Terminator
06-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Don't know if you're allowed to watch live streams at work, but here's one if you can: http://www.justin.tv/richsportsonline

Thanks - I'm now watching live! :drink:

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Unfortunately I did not even think DVR it :doh: So I'm going to miss out on it completely. I've read where Fleury's been getting peppered with shots - that absolutely can't happen too much longer, because eventually one is going to go in.
unfortunately, the 2nd and 3rd shots scored in this game were fluke strokes of luck. i can see this game ending on the same note.

i cringe as i wish and hope it ends in the pens favor.

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 11:33 PM
All of the guys are battling hard, but I have to give special mention to Hossa, Gill and of course Fleury.

C'mon Pens - let's end this madness with a W! :tt03:

Crushzilla
06-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Ugh... this looks bad

Preacher
06-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a play in one end for minutes...

only for the other team to break out and score...

I have the same feeling the same thing is going to happen here.. and that is how the pens will win it.

Edman
Still going...

Crushzilla
I'm hoping that Detroit is going all out here...

HOW LONG CAN THESE OLD MEN HOLD OUT! :sofunny:

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 11:36 PM
the wings have been camping in the pens zone so far in the 3rd.

lot of pressure on fleury to keep playing balls out.

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 11:45 PM
4 minute PP coming up - c'mon Pens, end it here!

Edman
06-02-2008, 11:45 PM
The Penguins have a four-minute powerplay!

They cannot blow this.

tony hipchest
06-02-2008, 11:46 PM
i was gonna say how the refs have swallowed the whistle but, this 4 minute penalty is SWEET>

hope it helps.

Crushzilla
GAME!

tony hipchest
AND IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fansince'76
Going back to the 'Burgh! :tt03: :tt02: :jammin:

Edman
06-02-2008, 11:47 PM
GOOOOOAAAAAALLL!!!!!!!

GAME SIIIIIXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!

Preacher
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a play in one end for minutes...

only for the other team to break out and score...

I have the same feeling the same thing is going to happen here.. and that is how the pens will win it.

UH UM!!!!

Crushzilla
Gonchar comes back for the Powerplay to help seal the deal

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 11:48 PM
OMFG!!!!!! Sarge comes back, sets up the play and Sykora bangs it in! What a game - congrats Pens!

I believe in my heart that the Pens are destined to win the Cup.

X-Terminator
06-02-2008, 11:49 PM
GAME 6 BITCHES!!!!!!! :tt::tt::tt:

KeiselPower99
06-02-2008, 11:49 PM
HELL YEA !!!!!! Goin back to Pittsburgh!!!!

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Serves those Wings fans right. They were booing their own team in the first after the Pens scored their 2nd goal. I can't stand that shit. :upyours:

X-Terminator
06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
OMFG!!!!!! Sarge comes back, sets up the play and Sykora bangs it in! What a game - congrats Pens!

I believe in my heart that the Pens are destined to win the Cup.

Sykora and Geno couldn't have picked a better time to get their first points of the series. I swear it looked like ice was tilted toward the Penguins end, but they got the one break they needed, and they capitalized. What a game! And they should be all kissing Fleury's feet, because without him, they would be preparing to go home for good rather than forcing a Game 6.

fansince'76
06-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Serves those Wings fans right. They were booing their own team in the first after the Pens scored their 2nd goal. I can't stand that shit. :upyours:

They were also giving the Wings the Cup before the game was even played tonight. A bit premature.

Crushzilla
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Sykora and Geno couldn't have picked a better time to get their first points of the series. I swear it looked like ice was tilted toward the Penguins end, but they got the one break they needed, and they capitalized. What a game! And they should be all kissing Fleury's feet, because without him, they would be preparing to go home for good rather than forcing a Game 6.

No doubt. Fleury was an absolute dynamo.

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

3 waves for the Flower

HometownGal
06-02-2008, 11:57 PM

I don't think I've ever been prouder of a Penguins' team! :drink:

I just heard on Channel 11 that with a minute left in the game, the champagne was being wheeled into the Wings locker room, as were the championship t-shirts. :laughing::toofunny:

Youth won out in this one, I'm firmly convinced of that.

Dodt
06-03-2008, 12:05 AM
what a game!

tony hipchest
06-03-2008, 12:08 AM
just win at home pens, and the "ball is in your court".

regardless if game 7 on the road, take care of business in game 6, and a 3-1 deficit is erased.

:tt02:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-03-2008, 12:09 AM
They were also giving the Wings the Cup before the game was even played tonight. A bit premature.

Just before the end of the third period the camera cut to the guy with the white gloves who was positioning the cup on the table for the celebration.

Every party has a pooper. Go Pens.

X-Terminator
06-03-2008, 12:12 AM

I just heard on Channel 11 that with a minute left in the game, the champagne was being wheeled into the Wings locker room, as were the championship t-shirts. :laughing::toofunny:

OOPS! :toofunny::toofunny:

I'm proud of the way the team battled tonight despite being under siege, held it together and got the job done. Their youth - as well as their never say die attitude - definitely won out tonight, no question about it. Hopefully they'll carry this momentum into Wednesday night and force Game 7, where absolutely anything can happen.

section514
06-03-2008, 12:17 AM
http://184977.spreadshirt.com (http://184977.spreadshirt.com) I BELIEVE TSHIRTS!

fansince'76
06-03-2008, 12:21 AM
....looks like the pens just lost... one game away and lord stanley will be back to hockeytown.. and the wings win and gave you guys your first home loss in how many games????

Looks like that favor was returned, wasn' t it? Turnabout is fair play, and a bitch, isn't it? :coffee:

OneForTheToe
06-03-2008, 12:34 AM

I heard that on channel 11 as well. Serves them right. Good thing it is not like the masters where they carve the players name(s) in the trophy right there, Can you imagine? "Quick get me that grinder."

As others have said, what a game. I was at work. At the end it was just me and one other person high fiving and making the noise of many more.

Edman
06-03-2008, 12:36 AM
So much for the invincible, "so-much-more-experienced" Wings who had the Cup in the bag against the "finesse", "inexperienced" Penguins.

You had a 2 game lead in this series. Twice. You blew it once and you're on the verge of blowing it again. This time completely. Since Game 3, the Penguins had the momentum.

OneForTheToe
06-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Don Cherry on ESPN just said Fleury's performance is the best he had ever seen in the playoffs. That is pretty high praise from old Donnie who has seen a few playoff games. Of course, he also said he thought the Wings would still win the cup, but he can eat those words later.

OneForTheToe
06-03-2008, 01:13 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/06/02/five-red-wings-penguins.html

I think it's natural to feel bad for a bit and feel bad for yourself but it's the Stanley Cup playoffs it's not supposed to be easy," said Bab*ock. "It's supposed to be a battle and we're in one."

Damn strait you are in battle!!!!!

Actually Mike, why don't you just let your players keep thinking they got it wraped up? Make sure they bring those Stanely Cup Champion T's with them to the "burgh." Then after Saturday you can console them with the knowledge that your Stanley Cup T' shirts are being put to good use when they are shipped off to some third world country.

GutterflowerSteel
06-03-2008, 03:55 AM
I fell asleep during one of the OTs - so I missed the very end. But when I woke up - yeaaaaaah!!!. That was one helluva game :tt02: Now it's back to the Burgh :tt03:

TackleMeBen
06-03-2008, 06:36 AM
the game last night was a very good game. fluery keep the pens in it in the end. he played awesome.

GBMelBlount
06-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Sorry guys, fell asleep in 2nd OT. I cannot believe they won!

TackleMeBen
06-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Sorry guys, fell asleep in 2nd OT. I cannot believe they won!
neither could all the wings fans. lol.. :chuckle:that is the longest game i have sat thru. at least it was exciting and over all good hockey.

i did hear that the sports radio talk host here in detroit are fussing about how nbc does nothing but talk about sidney crobsy.. one guy said that NBC now stands for Nothing But Crosby.

stlrtruck
06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I had no choice but to stay up and watch. The butterflies in my stomach wouldn't let me sleep (although I did miss 15 seconds of the third OT.

But what a game, what a shot..

LETS GO PENS

HometownGal
06-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Oooooooo - victory is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! :tt03:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08155/886962-61.stm

Late, last laugh belongs to Penguins

Tuesday, June 03, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DETROIT -- It all sounded so hollow at the time, strictly false bravado from a team that looked to be little more than a speed bump on the Detroit Red Wings' way to their Stanley Cup parade. I'll admit it. I had to stifle a sneer Saturday night, in those agonizing moments after Detroit's 2-1 victory at Mellon Arena, when Penguins winger Marian Hossa said the guys would make things "miserable" on the Red Wings when they attempted to shut down the Penguins for the summer in Game 5 here last night. I had to do the same thing yesterday at the morning skate when teammate Gary Roberts promised "our best game."

Well, guess who had the last laugh on their doubters on this amazing Detroit night and morning?

After the Penguins won a game for the ages, one of the most impressive in their history, 4-3, on a power-play goal a by Petr Sykora in triple-overtime to stay alive and spoil Detroit's best-laid party plans?

"We just didn't want our season to end," defenseman Rob Scuderi said.

All of the Penguins were too tired after 109:57 of tense, grueling hockey to revel too much in the win. There was no time for that. There's still too much work to be done. To win the Cup, the Penguins must beat the Red Wings in Game 6 at Mellon Arena tomorrow night, then again in Game 7 here Saturday night.

The odds still heavily favor the Red Wings.

But, at least, Detroit's big red machine no longer looks quite so invincible.

Not after the Red Wings blew a 3-2 lead in the final minute of regulation.

NHL officials were shining the Cup and getting ready for its presentation after Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk and Brian Rafalski scored within a 2:40 span midway through the third period for a 3-2 lead. And why not? The Red Wings had been so dominant defensively throughout the series. To that point, they had outscored the Penguins, 8-1, in the third period of the five games. Surely, they could protect that one-goal lead and set off a massive Detroit celebration.

Or not.

"The nice thing about playing with this group is no one ever panics," Scuderi said.

Winger Max Talbot certainly didn't. He got the tying goal with 34.3 seconds left.

Talk about silencing the bedlam in Joe Louis Arena.

But Talbot was only one of many stars for the Penguins.

"It seems like three games ago that he scored that goal," defenseman Ryan Whitney said, grinning.

There was goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who stopped 55 of the 58 shots the Red Wings threw at him. He almost single-handedly kept the Penguins in the game in the first overtime when Detroit had a 13-2 edge in shots.

"That was," Whitney said, "the game of his life."

There was defenseman Sergei Gonchar, who left the game early in the third period with a back injury and didn't return until that deciding power play in the third overtime. He ended up getting an assist on the Sykora goal.

"His back was killing him," Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "They asked him if he could push through it if we got a power play. He said he'd try. That was just a gutsy effort by him."

There were the five Penguins defenseman -- Whitney, Orpik, Scuderi, Hal Gill and Darryl Sydor -- who had to work overtime on top of the overtimes because of Gonchar's injury. Whitney played a staggering 50:46.

"All five guys just kind of gutted it out," Scuderi said.

And there was Sykora, who had been next to invisible in the series and harshly criticized because of it. His goal was his first point of the final.

Couldn't have come at a better time, eh?

Long-time Cup observers said it was one of the all-time great final games.

Who's to argue?

Now, that precious Cup has been packed back in its box and is returning to Pittsburgh for Game 6.

"I can't even imagine what Mellon Arena is going to be like on Wednesday night," Whitney said.

The Penguins hope the Cup has to travel one more time, back to Detroit for Game 7 Saturday night.

"We put ourselves in this position," Roberts said, shrugging. "It's up to us to dig our way out."

The man who has become such a cult hero in our town sounded so matter-of-fact.

Trust me on this:

There was nothing hollow-sounding about his words.

GBMelBlount
06-03-2008, 07:44 AM
"I can't even imagine what Mellon Arena is going to be like on Wednesday night," Whitney said.

It will be crazy. I hope 2 days is enough rest after last night.

X-Terminator
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
neither could all the wings fans. lol.. :chuckle:that is the longest game i have sat thru. at least it was exciting and over all good hockey.

i did hear that the sports radio talk host here in detroit are fussing about how nbc does nothing but talk about sidney crobsy.. one guy said that NBC now stands for Nothing But Crosby.

Riiiiiiiight...

After 4+ games of those announcers slurping the Wings' nutsacks and all but proclaiming them the champs, how dare they talk about Crosby and the Pens? They can all take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. :jerkit:

Mosca
06-03-2008, 09:05 AM
It will be crazy. I hope 2 days is enough rest after last night.

You know what, though? The Wings looked really tired at the end, too. The high-sticking call, Hudler's stick came up because he was too arm-weary to control it. If you have the game taped, watch and you can see; he was just being sloppy, and Scuderi was standing in the way.

And, we're coming off the high of a win, and going home; they, on the other hand, are leaving home, where they had the champagne and the cup already wheeled into their dressing room!

TackleMeBen
06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
How do the Wings shake this one off?

"We got no choice," Henrik Zetterberg said. "We're still confident. Game 6s have been very good for us. We just have to get fluids in, get our bodies ready and regroup."

Maybe the size of the moment hit the Red Wings flush in the face. Or maybe thoughts of parades and trophies danced too early in too many heads.

Or more likely, Fleury was just magnificent. The puck bounced crazily all night, off sticks, off crossbars, off skates. And yes, again and again, it hit Fleury, as the Joe Louis Arena crowd shrieked and gasped

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/OPINION03/806030405

X-Terminator
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
All I know is that if the Wings are going to win the Cup, they'd better do it tomorrow night, because if they don't, and they have to go back to Detroit for Game 7, I really believe the Pens are going to pull it out.

rbryan
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Uh Oh Detroit. A little tight around the collar today????

Lets see if that little prick gets an octupus onto the ice tomorrow night. I'd break his freakin arm blocking that attempt if he was anywhere near me. Dirty little squid boy.

Note to all Pens fans.....If the grubby little turd wearing the Wings jersey next to you smells like low tide....keep an eye on him......lol

PisnNapalm
06-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Speaking of long games..... I remember watching this one...

April 24, 1996 — Pittsburgh 3, Washington 2, conference quarterfinal, 79:15, Petr Nedved.

That time there of 79:15 means that the winning goal was scored at 79 minutes and 15 seconds INTO overtime. They played a total of 139 minutes and 15 seconds of hockey. That's more than 2 games worth.

Also of note: Mario Lemieux was tossed from the game for fighting!! I think it was in the second overtime when he was booted.

The Pens went on to win that series but lost in the next round.

PisnNapalm
06-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Fleury is the one reason why the Pens are still alive in this chase for the cup. Even if the Pens lose I think that Fleury should be the series MVP. He has just played out of his mind.

HometownGal
06-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Fleury is the one reason why the Pens are still alive in this chase for the cup. Even if the Pens lose I think that Fleury should be the series MVP. He has just played out of his mind.

I totally agree PNP. :thumbsup: That young man has been phenomenal and listening to his post-game interview, so mellow and modest.

I can't help but to laugh at these "diehard" *cough* *cough* Wings fans crying foul against NBC for daring to mention Sid when the NBC commentators haven't been able to remove their lips from the Wings' ying yangs throughout this series. The same Wings fans who were booing their own team after the Pens second goal in the first period last night. :jerkit: I loved seeing the :egg::egg:s all over those commentators' faces when Sykora scored the winning goal. :rofl::laughing::toofunny:

Gee - it was so quiet in the Joe when Sykora banged in that goal, you could hear a pin drop. :toofunny:

I agree XT - if the Pens win tomorrow night at Mellon Arena, which I believe they will, I'm putting my money on them to win the Cup. Last night, the pendulum totally swung in their direction and the momentum going into Game #6 is all black and gold. :tt03:

OneForTheToe
06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
That game lasted so long that if it had gone more overtime period there would have had to have been a break so that some of the Wings players could deposit their Social Security checks.

stlrtruck
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
It's time the Pens muster up all their strength and take the beatings to the wings. Detroit has been bashing the Pens left and right - just like against the cryers, the Pens need to take the punishment to them.

Lord Stiller
06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
im still buzzing about last nights game. i cant focus on work at all

its still sinking in what an amazing victory that was

lilyoder6
06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
that was a very good game last night.. 4 being the length as it was... hopefully the pens caring this mom over to game 6 in pitt and force a game 7

The Duke
06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
never been so excited for a hockey game before. last night was just amazing!!

Fleury....you're a god, lol

come game six, the pens will be ready :tt::

stlrtruck
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
im still buzzing about last nights game. i cant focus on work at all

its still sinking in what an amazing victory that was

Try working with a red wings fan and having to focus. While she's been respectful, she's had her digs - but today, today was my day!!!

Counselor
06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
That was unbelievable last night. I can't stop thinking about what an amazing game I saw. 34.3 Seconds left, the crowd going wild, shots of the cup being polished, a sinking feeling in my stomach as time ticked down . . . then Talbot swinging his stick at the front of the net and red light goes on . . . Unbelieveable. Miraculous, I would say.
At that point I was confident we would win. Sure, I know, it wasn't a foregone conclusion----but I just had that feeling . . .

How about Malone and Gonchar---talk about leaving it all on the ice? Crosby was down blocking shots, Fleury was making so many saves---I don't think Jesus could have scored on him.

Outstanding job guys, now lets get #6 at home!

TackleMeBen
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
the road team has won the last 8 multi OT games in the playoffs i heard on espn today. so it favored the pens when it went to the second OT.

HometownGal
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Great read on our ice warriors! :thumbsup: From what I've been hearing on the local news, both Gonchar and Malone will be suited up for tomorrow night's game! :tt03:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=365116

PITTSBURGH -- The physical toll of Game 5 was truly staggering.

The teams played almost 110 minutes of hockey, combined to score seven goals, give and received 69 hits and block 43 shots before Pittsburgh emerged with a 4-3 victory at the 9:57 mark of the third overtime early Tuesday morning at Joe Louis Arena.

The game lasted a staggering four hours and 36 minutes.

On Pittsburgh's side alone, there was incredible carnage -- especially with another do-or-die game looming in Wednesday night's Game 6 in Pittsburgh (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio).

Defenseman Sergei Gonchar crashed head-first into the end boards after catching his skate on a back check during regulation. He missed more than half the game with back spasms before returning to play the power play during the game-winning goal sequence in the third overtime.

Orpik, himself, missed a portion of the OT session because he was cramping severely because of dehydration. He had to take fluids intravenously just to get back on the ice.

"I was just cramping up," said Orpik, trying to dismiss the severity of the situation. "I took a couple of IVs. I'll probably be peeing a lot tonight with all the stuff I drank."

Ryan Malone took a puck to the face in the second period while fighting for position in front of the net. He barely missed a shift and was on the ice -- screening Detroit goalie Chris Osgood -- when Petr Sykora fired home the winning shot. Malone was on the ice despite the fact that he needed five stitches to close the gash to the side of his nose and he also chipped a few teeth.

"You see guys like Ryan Malone receive a shot in the face and come back," said Michel Therrien, the Penguin coach. "It's pretty amazing, the price and the sacrifice that a lot of those guys have to pay."

Meanwhile, in the third OT, defenseman Rob Scuderi took a high stick from Jiri Hudler to draw the penalty that led to the game-winning goal. Scuderi prayed for blood so that Hudler would get a double minor and got his wish. He was still bleeding liberally from the cut on his chin as he addressed the media after the game.

With Orpik cramping and Gonchar contracting, the Penguins played a portion of the game with just four healthy defensemen. That would be a tall order virtually anytime, but it was a Herculean task against a deep and offensively powerful Detroit team in a lose-and-go-home situation.

Four of the defensemen -- Ryan Whitney, Orpik, Scuderi and Hal Gill -- logged more than 40 minutes each in the game. Whitney played a game-high 50:46.

Orpik insisted there was no way he was staying off the ice when he cramped up.

"I think the biggest thing is you never want to feel like you are letting your teammates down, especially in a game like this," he said. "You just gotta battle through it. All the guys on both sides are going through the same things. It's just one of those things that you have to grind through. A lot of times, fatigue is more of a physiological thing than anything."

Well, the Pens will have to convince themselves that they are not tired or hurt because they face another elimination game in Game 6.

The positive spin was already beginning just minutes after Game 5 ended.

"I feel great," said Max Talbot, who played almost 27 minutes and scored the goal that sent the game into OT. "I think your body can take way more than you think. Yes, it takes a lot of energy, but it just feels great because you don't think about the pain or being tired. You just think of being in Game 6 now and you just think about that."

That means all the heroics of Game 5 were forgotten before the charter flight went wheels up to head home in the wee hours of Tuesday morning.

Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury has to forget about the brilliant 55-save performance, the highest save total in a Stanley Cup Final game since 1998. Petr Sykora has to forget about the winning goal he scored to extend the series. And Talbot has to forget about the goal he scored in the last minute of regulation to cancel the Detroit victory celebration -- the biggest goal of his career.

"I heard the Stanley Cup was in the hallway," said Talbot, with a sly smile. "We just wanted to play more hockey."

But Talbot's smile escaped as fast as Sykora's game-winner travelled from his stick to the back of the net.

"It was a big moment, but after the third period, it was the past," Talbot said. "I'm just trying to forget about it because if we don't win Game 6, it will mean nothing. Guys are happy about what we did and the character we showed, but it's going to mean nothing if we don't win the next game."

Pittsburgh will get that chance Wednesday night before a very grateful and appreciative Mellon Arena crowd; less than 48 hours after pushing their bodies and minds to the limit to extend the season.

They promise they will be ready for the challenge -- dead legs and sore bodies be damned. :tt03::drink:

BettisFan
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I was at the arena last night for the whole game and I have to say it was the best night of my life the best experience ever! With only 3500 people it sounded like the whole arena was full it was amazing!!! Go Pens baby! We can do this!!! I am going to the thing outside the arena tomarow! but if we want to win this game they need to start off the same way they did game 5, get off to an early lead and continue to produce the whole game, and we relied on Fluery and we played defense by trying to steal the puck rather than hitting big which really hurt the pens but also me watching i mean diddnt you guys just want to see us smash them into the boards when they kept injuring out guys?? Also Osgood is an old fart we need to just keep attacking him and we can tire the guy out! GO PENS!

X-Terminator
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
"You see guys like Ryan Malone receive a shot in the face and come back," said Michel Therrien, the Penguin coach. "It's pretty amazing, the price and the sacrifice that a lot of those guys have to pay."

And that is why the Stanley Cup is the toughest championship to win in pro sports. It's not even close. These guys put their bodies through hell in order to win that trophy - the winner will have played over 100 often physically-demanding games this season - and yet they remain so disrespected among their peers in other sports and among non-NHL fans.

Great read, HTG. I wish they were dropping the puck right now, because I'm ready! :tt03:

stlrtruck
06-04-2008, 07:21 AM
There are three things the Pens need to do, IMHO, to force Game 7.

1) Shoot the puck, often
2) Crash the net, often
3) Forget the puck, and HIT the red wings off the puck (example: the same way they hit the Pens).

Edman
06-04-2008, 08:07 AM
XT is right. Hockey is a very underappreciated sport. Well, in America at least.

rbryan
06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
And that is why the Stanley Cup is the toughest championship to win in pro sports. It's not even close. These guys put their bodies through hell in order to win that trophy - the winner will have played over 100 often physically-demanding games this season - and yet they remain so disrespected among their peers in other sports and among non-NHL fans.

Great read, HTG. I wish they were dropping the puck right now, because I'm ready! :tt03:

I forget his name but I wonder if the guy from the Cryers who took the puck in the face and then missed the rest of the series was taking notes?

Lord Stiller
06-04-2008, 09:29 AM
There are three things the Pens need to do, IMHO, to force Game 7.

1) Shoot the puck, often
2) Crash the net, often
3) Forget the puck, and HIT the red wings off the puck (example: the same way they hit the Pens).

I agree.

Also it seems like the 1st period has been our best this series. We need to get a couple goals early and get the crowd roaring

Also, we need to tweak our powerplay and roll with 2 units and get Malkin off the point. something like this

PP1
Crosby and Hossa on the wings
Roberts in front of the net
Gonchar and Whitney at the point

PP2
Malkin and Sykora on the wings
Malone in front
Gonchar and another Dman at the point (Sydor or Letang)

memphissteelergirl
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I hope the Pens put this one away early.....honestly I don't think my blood pressure could handle another 3OT game....LOL. But still it was epic.....and my love and respect for hockey is growing even more because of that game.

LET'S GO PENS!!

:drink:

PisnNapalm
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I forget his name but I wonder if the guy from the Cryers who took the puck in the face and then missed the rest of the series was taking notes?

The guy from the "Cryers" had a much more serious injury. His eye was swollen shut for days after the hit. Don't fault the guy for not playing with that injury. It's a miracle he still has a usable eye.

stlrtruck
06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
The guy from the "Cryers" had a much more serious injury. His eye was swollen shut for days after the hit. Don't fault the guy for not playing with that injury. It's a miracle he still has a usable eye.

Didn't he end up with a lacerated spleen from that shot?

Lord Stiller
06-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Didn't he end up with a lacerated spleen from that shot?

No he didn't

stlrtruck
06-04-2008, 02:23 PM
No he didn't

Or was that the one from the cryers vs. crapitals series?

Lord Stiller
06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Or was that the one from the cryers vs. crapitals series?

maybe you are thinking of Sean Avery from the Rangers?

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
A tad over 4 hours until game time! From what I've heard on the local sports shows, the Pens say they are ready - so am I!!!! :tt03::tt03:

I look for one helluva game tonight and have all the faith in the world that our Pens will come out on top once again and take it to Game #7!

LETS GO PENS!

Preacher
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
From what I saw two nights ago...

the Pens should play almost ALL dump and chase hockey the first period.

Cross the center line, shoot the puck into the corner... and then crash the boards on crank on a Redwings player.

by the third period... those hits will have taken their toll. Then the young kids can start skating the puck up and fire at will.

PisnNapalm
06-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Ok folks... I'm not usually a superstitious person but....

When I watched game 1 we lost.

When I watched game 2 we lost.

I missed the first part of game 3. When I tuned in we were up 3 to 0. Then the Red Wings started scoring. After their second goal, I turned off the game and just kept track online. We won game 3.

When I tuned into game 4 the score was tied at 1 - 1. I watched the rest of the game and we lost!

When I tuned into game 5 we were ahead 2 - 0. While I watched the game the Wings eventually tied it at 2 - 2 and then took the lead. I again stopped watching the game and went to the computer. Low and behold we tied it up and sent it into overtime. I watched OT1 but did not watch OT2 or OT3. We won game 5.

So..... It's gonna kill me but... I'm gonna do my best not to watch the game tonight. :banging: :tt:

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
From what I saw two nights ago...

the Pens should play almost ALL dump and chase hockey the first period.

Cross the center line, shoot the puck into the corner... and then crash the boards on crank on a Redwings player.

by the third period... those hits will have taken their toll. Then the young kids can start skating the puck up and fire at will.

Yep Father - you nailed it! :thumbsup: Keep checking the geezers on the boards and get them good and sore by the third. I likey! :tt03:

Preacher
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Yep Father - you nailed it! :thumbsup: Keep checking the geezers on the boards and get them good and sore by the third. I likey! :tt03:

Yep...

that's old time Toe Blake hockey!

section514
06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
WE are ok, we are shooting the puck more, killed the last penalty, and Marc is playing well, that goal was not his fault LETS GO PENS

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Wings get a lucky goal in the 1st off of Hal Gill's skate. 1-0 Wings after 1.

Orpik gets a stick in the ear by that jagoff Franzen - no call. Interferences not called several times. :doh: Even those boneheads calling the game were shocked at some of the obvious shit that wasn't called.

Gill needs to knock that big lummox Holmstrom out from in front of the net as he did in Game #5. He was standing right there blocking Fleury's view on that goal.

Pens need to chip that puck down into the Wings end a little more often these next 2 periods. C'mon Pens - you can do it! :tt03:

section514
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
yEPr0x1PK6M

The Duke
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
welcome back malkin!!

2-1, they can do it :tt::

X-Terminator
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
2-1 Wings after 2. Cheap goal given up by Fleury and then Malkin finally gets a goal on the PP with Datsyuk in the box.

Gut check time, boys. Do they have one more push left in them with their season on the line? I personally believe they do. No quit in this fan until the final horn sounds.

LET'S GO PENS!!!!! :tt03:

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 09:04 PM
2-1 Wings after 2. Cheap goal given up by Fleury and then Malkin finally gets a goal on the PP with Datsyuk in the box.

Gut check time, boys. Do they have one more push left in them with their season on the line? I personally believe they do. No quit in this fan until the final horn sounds.

LET'S GO PENS!!!!! :tt03:

I'm with you buddy! :drink::tt03:

I think we're going to see a wow of a 3rd.

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Poor Fleury - he had no idea he pushed that puck in the net with his doopa. :doh: Two lucky goals by the Wings tonight.

Lots of hockey to be played yet - c'mon guys - you can do it!! :tt03:

Edman
06-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Lady luck is not with the Penguins tonight. Time is running out.

TackleMeBen
06-04-2008, 09:35 PM
the last game looks like it took more out of the pens players than the wings players. they are beating the pens to the puck.

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Lady luck is not with the Penguins tonight. Time is running out.

Yes, it is Ed, but I'm not sad at all. I'm so proud of these guys - the Wings and their on-again, off-again fans thought they were going to sweep us in 4 and they didn't. We have a lot to be proud of and even more to look forward to for a lot of years to come. :drink: We're on the rise - the Wings will soon be on the decline.

The Duke
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
3-2!!!

HometownGal
Score by Sarge!!! WOOO HOOOOOO! It's not over yet! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

TackleMeBen
gonchar got the goal to bring them within one.. could we see a repeat of the other night??

The Duke
06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, it is Ed, but I'm not sad at all. I'm so proud of these guys - the Wings and their on-again, off-again fans thought they were going to sweep us in 4 and they didn't. We have a lot to be proud of and even more to look forward to for a lot of years to come. :drink: We're on the rise - the Wings will soon be on the decline.

very well said :tt:

so close though.

Edman
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Hossa's last shot was so close...just, JUST short of the goal line. Congrats to the Red Wings.

I don't care though. Our time will come. The Penguins will be back. So proud of this team for getting this far.

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Osgood came close to flubbing that puck but he held on.

Congrats Wings, though I will not congratulate their fans who boo their own team.

GutterflowerSteel
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
What a tough loss ... I'm so proud of the Pens and also our fans, who've shown a lot of class - especially in sticking around to watch the opponent hoist the Cup. My tv is already OFF! lol

Edman
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
It just wasn't meant to be.

Another parallel with the '83 Oilers: Losing in the cup finals to an older "dynasty" team. Only difference here is that we didn't get swept. I have utmost respect for the Wings, but I don't respect their fans. They suck.

Welp, only three months till Steelers training camp.

HometownGal
06-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Thank you Pens for the most exciting season we have experienced in a lot of years! :drink: Detroit was forecast to be in the finals - we weren't but we defied the odds, played our hearts out and took the Wings to Game #6 and lost by a heartbreaking (and unfortunate) goal.

Thank you, Sid, for your outstanding play, leadership and never say die attitude! YOu definitely, without a doubt, are the "Next One". :drink:

Thank you, Flower, for the phenomenal job you did coming back off of a serious ankle injury, playing outstanding goal since your return, and for getting us to Game #6. Today you were compared to the great Patrick Roy, which compliment you accepted so modestly. I'm sure the Pens are going to reward you with a huge contract - every penny of which you so rightfully deserve! :drink:

Thank you, Geno, for your leadership and terrific play at a time when we needed it the most! One day, we will proudly watch you being inducted into the NHL HOF! :drink:

Thank you, Sergei, for your stellar defensive play throughout the season and especially in the playoffs. You so deserved a nomination for the Norris trophy but you are a winner in every way that truly matters! :drink:

Thank you, Marian Hossa, for the excitement you brought to this team in such a short period of time and for your elite play in these playoffs! I hope this isn't the last time we see you in a Penguins uniform - you are a perfect fit for this team not only on the ice, but in the locker room as well! :drink:

Thank you, Bugsy, for the toughness you exhibited all season long. You made incredible strides this season and as with the Flower, I hope the Pens sign you to a generous long-term contract. You have definitely earned it! :drink:

Thank you, Petr Sykora, for everything you brought to this team this season - scoring, guts, grit and leadership. You are one of the best FA signings this team has made in quite a long time and I'd love to see you wearing that #17 for the Pittsburgh Penguins for many seasons to come! :drink:

Thank you, Ty Conklin, for playing a huge part in getting this team to the playoffs. You were outstanding in relief of MAF and I hope you stay with the Pens, but if you don't and can get a starting goaltender position out there in the NHL (which I'm sure you will), I wish you all the luck in the world. :drink:

Thank you, Scary Gary, for being the tough SOB that this team so needed. You are the perfect role model for our young guys and I hope to see you back next season! :drink:

Thank you, Coach Therrien, for cracking the whip with this extremely talented (but very young) team, as well as being the outstanding coach you are! I hope you are our HC for many, many years to come - we love you! (P.S. You most definitely should have been a nominee and imho, the winner of the NHL Coach of the Year). :drink:

And thank you Max Talbot, Pascal Dupuis, Georges Laraque, Tyler Kennedy, Hal Gill, Brooks Orpik, Adam Hall, Jarrko Ruutu (my little bad boy - LOL), Jordal Staal, Daryl Sydor, Jeff Taffe, Kris Letang (an unsung hero, imho), Dany Sabourin, Rob Scuderi and Ryan Whitney, along with Coaches Yeo, Meloche and Sevard for the huge roles you all played in making this season so exciting and rewarding!

You guys all ROCK and I'm so proud to be a Pittsburgh Penguins fan! :tt03::thumbsup::drink:

SteelCityMan786
06-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Well guys, unfortunately the Penguins fell.

I am in mourning over it, but hey, we can come back. (Yeah, Championship Losses Hurt me very hard and are much harder for me to get over) But we will heal. It may take time, but we will all heal. I know what this team is going through. My Football team was 1 play away from winning a District Championship. So this year we both suffered agony in the same way.

This team has comeback from so much. I have no reason to not be proud of what they have accomplished. When Sidney went down, this team could have just easily thrown in the towel. But no, they chose to rise up to the challenge and made it so far with guys like Evgeni, Conklin, etc to get to this point. This team should be proud of themselves. Everyone doubted them, but they proved those doubters VERY WRONG!

I see this team having great success again next year and NO REASON why this team can not be back here next year. They have the tools, they just have to work on getting out who has lost there touch and who can benefit this team down the line.

Once again, I could not be more proud again of this team. This year they made me an even strong believer. I could never be more proud of how this team was this year. They made me even more of a diehard Penguins fan then what I was at the start of this season.

They will make us BELIEVE AND EXPERIENCE THE EVOLUTION OF PITTSBURGH PENGUINS HOCKEY AGAIN IN 2008-2009.

Countdown to Stockholm: 121 Days when the Penguins start it all against the same team who they take on the same team who this run started against.

pittsburghp8baller
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Thank you Pens for the most exciting season we have experienced in a lot of years! :drink: Detroit was forecast to be in the finals - we weren't but we defied the odds, played our hearts out and took the Wings to Game #6 and lost by a heartbreaking (and unfortunate) goal.

Thank you, Sid, for your outstanding play, leadership and never say die attitude! YOu definitely, without a doubt, are the "Next One". :drink:

Thank you, Flower, for the phenomenal job you did coming back off of a serious ankle injury, playing outstanding goal since your return, and for getting us to Game #6. Today you were compared to the great Patrick Roy, which compliment you accepted so modestly. I'm sure the Pens are going to reward you with a huge contract - every penny of which you so rightfully deserve! :drink:

Thank you, Geno, for your leadership and terrific play at a time when we needed it the most! One day, we will proudly watch you being inducted into the NHL HOF! :drink:

Thank you, Sergei, for your stellar defensive play throughout the season and especially in the playoffs. You so deserved a nomination for the Norris trophy but you are a winner in every way that truly matters! :drink:

Thank you, Marian Hossa, for the excitement you brought to this team in such a short period of time and for your elite play in these playoffs! I hope this isn't the last time we see you in a Penguins uniform - you are a perfect fit for this team not only on the ice, but in the locker room as well! :drink:

Thank you, Bugsy, for the toughness you exhibited all season long. You made incredible strides this season and as with the Flower, I hope the Pens sign you to a generous long-term contract. You have definitely earned it! :drink:

Thank you, Petr Sykora, for everything you brought to this team this season - scoring, guts, grit and leadership. You are one of the best FA signings this team has made in quite a long time and I'd love to see you wearing that #17 for the Pittsburgh Penguins for many seasons to come! :drink:

Thank you, Ty Conklin, for playing a huge part in getting this team to the playoffs. You were outstanding in relief of MAF and I hope you stay with the Pens, but if you don't and can get a starting goaltender position out there in the NHL (which I'm sure you will), I wish you all the luck in the world. :drink:

Thank you, Scary Gary, for being the tough SOB that this team so needed. You are the perfect role model for our young guys and I hope to see you back next season! :drink:

Thank you, Coach Therrien, for cracking the whip with this extremely talented (but very young) team, as well as being the outstanding coach you are! I hope you are our HC for many, many years to come - we love you! (P.S. You most definitely should have been a nominee and imho, the winner of the NHL Coach of the Year). :drink:

And thank you Max Talbot, Pascal Dupuis, Georges Laraque, Tyler Kennedy, Hal Gill, Brooks Orpik, Adam Hall, Jarrko Ruutu (my little bad boy - LOL), Jordal Staal, Daryl Sydor, Jeff Taffe, Kris Letang (an unsung hero, imho), Dany Sabourin, Rob Scuderi and Ryan Whitney for the huge roles you all played in making this season so exciting and rewarding!

You guys all ROCK and I'm so proud to be a Pittsburgh Penguins fan! :tt03::thumbsup::drink:

agree with u 1000%. thank you Pittsburgh for a great season, watchn you guys night in and night out im so proud not only being a Pens fan a hockey in general. WHAT THE HELL AM I GONNA DO TILL NEXT SEASON!!! I love the steelers but the idea of waiting a whole week in between each game jus wont cut it for me. but oh well great season Pittsburgh look forward to the draft (all 1 or 2 of our picks) and see how we resign our players. till next season Pens, get some rest- we have the eastern conference to defend.

and a thanks to the littler people like chris minard, ryan stone, nathan smith, connor james, tim brent, jon filewich, alain nasredine, alex goligoski though the guys who never really showed up on the stat sheet but u guys showed up and played your part while our stars were down and then gracefully went back to wilkes barre when your time is up. Remember that game against the Islanders where i think it was connor james and ryan stone drove all the way from wilkes-barre to make it to the game even though they missed the first part of the game they came out and played a good game

SteelCityMan786
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM

And thank you Max Talbot, Pascal Dupuis, Georges Laraque, Tyler Kennedy, Hal Gill, Brooks Orpik, Adam Hall, Jarrko Ruutu (my little bad boy - LOL), Jordal Staal, Daryl Sydor, Jeff Taffe, Kris Letang (an unsung hero, imho), Dany Sabourin, Rob Scuderi and Ryan Whitney, along with Coaches Yeo, Meloche and Sevard for the huge roles you all played in making this season so exciting and rewarding!

You Pretty Much summed up my own post. :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
06-04-2008, 11:38 PM
So close. Watching channel 11, Alby Oxenrider(sp) said that it was the most dejected locker-room he had ever seen. And he noted he had been in the Pirates locker-room after the two NLCS losses. That both gives me hope, because we weren't just happy to be there, and makes me somber because the boys realize as we all do that there are no guarantees.

Keep the faith though, because we will at least have a shot for years and years to come.

X-Terminator
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM

And thank YOU, HTG, for this great post that sums up my feelings, though I can't help but still feel a little sadness because they came so close to the promised land. But I also have no doubt that we will be back here very soon...only with a much different outcome.

And congratulations to the TRUE and classy Wings fans - not the fake, bandwagon ones - on their championship. They have a fine team and are deserving of the Stanley Cup.

Hold your heads up high, Pens fans. WE WILL BE BACK!!! :tt03::tt03:

X-Terminator
06-05-2008, 12:03 AM
the last game looks like it took more out of the pens players than the wings players. they are beating the pens to the puck.

But they still needed 2 lucky bounces to finally put them away. The Pens battled until the (unfortunately) bitter end and made the Wings earn every bit of that championship in this series, which is what proud teams do.

That's OK. We'll be hoisting the Cup within the next 3 seasons, while the Wings will be in the old folks' home collecting their pensions.

Preacher
06-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Man was that close in the end... I thought the puck went in the net!

Edman
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
The Wings are the now. The Penguins are still the future of the NHL. To get this far with this young core is even more reason to be proud of this team. It just wasn't our time to win it, but it will come. The Pens should be more hungrier than ever.

Let the Wings and their "fans" talk their trash and embrace the Cup, they earned it and proved they were the best team, but we'll see what happens to them when they go back to their choking ways in the playoffs in the coming years.

TackleMeBen
06-05-2008, 07:05 AM
But they still needed 2 lucky bounces to finally put them away. The Pens battled until the (unfortunately) bitter end and made the Wings earn every bit of that championship in this series, which is what proud teams do.

That's OK. We'll be hoisting the Cup within the next 3 seasons, while the Wings will be in the old folks' home collecting their pensions.

at least the pens didnt give up and made it a good series in the end. i think the pens will win a stanley cup in the next few years.. barring any major injuries to crosby or malkin they are going to be unstoppable.

stlrtruck
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
My take on the game and the series:

First, my hats off to the red wings, they earned the win and the series.

Now, the red wings did a great job of constantly pressuring Fleury and hitting our players. They were always moving towards the puck.

While the Penguins did a great job of making a series out of this, they just didn't have the physical presence in Game 6 that they needed to force a game 7. At the end you could tell they were exhausted (with understanding) and I'm sure if they had won they wouldn't have looked so bad - but detroit beat them up, a lot!

One of the red wings players said it best during the 2nd intermission, "We pride ourselves on our endurance." That's something the Pens will need to get better at in the off season and for the 2008-2009 season.

I also think that team needs to do a better job of crashing the net and putting shots on goal. This idea, or perception, that you need to set up every time drives me nuts. If you watched the wings, they didn't necessarily take great first shots but they had people crashing the net every time (this goes back to the always moving).

I hope the Penguins watch these games during the off season and I hope one of them takes a picture of all the players sitting on the ice at the end of last nights game so they can remember that feeling, that anguish, and come this time next year - hopefully it will drive them to the cup - AND TO HOIST IT UP!!!

LETS GO PENS!!!

Counselor
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I hope the Penguins watch these games during the off season and I hope one of them takes a picture of all the players sitting on the ice at the end of last nights game so they can remember that feeling, that anguish, and come this time next year - hopefully it will drive them to the cup - AND TO HOIST IT UP!!!

LETS GO PENS!!!

Trust me, those boys don't need pictures to remember this anguish, it'll stick with them until their last days . . .and with us fans as well. And that's a good thing.

No matter how many cups we get in the years to come . . . and there will be cups . . .I will never forget this particular team, (who unfortunately will never be together again) and the highs and lows they brought us. The way they left everything on the ice---literally and figuratively---it was almost another miracle last night, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The better team (not necessarily the most talented) won the series---but my hat goes off to the Pens who brought me a great deal of excitement, joy and entertainment all season and especially the last two months.

Now my advice to the guys is to get some sleep, heal up, play some golf, have a few beers, forget about hockey for a month or two, and then start gearing up for training camp!

GO PENS!!!!!!!!

Counselor
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
And hats off to the fans there last night too----very classy display all the way around. You showed great support to the Pens and to Fluery.

memphissteelergirl
06-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I would like to say as a new fan of hockey how happy I am to be part of the Pens' "family" now (I won't say bandwagon...that implies I can get off at any minit..lol)

This team has given me much to excited about....Fleury, Crosby, Malkin....wow! Look forward to seeing these guys take the Pens to an even higher level.

The Wings were the better team.....THIS TIME!! I hope the guys take this disappointment and learn from it. I'm sure they will....

Again, thanks Pens for an exciting year for this "newbie" and giving me a chance to learn and enjoy the game of hockey more.

LET'S GO PENS!!

:drink:

SteelCityMan786
06-05-2008, 09:18 AM
And thank YOU, HTG, for this great post that sums up my feelings, though I can't help but still feel a little sadness because they came so close to the promised land. But I also have no doubt that we will be back here very soon...only with a much different outcome.

And congratulations to the TRUE and classy Wings fans - not the fake, bandwagon ones - on their championship. They have a fine team and are deserving of the Stanley Cup.

Hold your heads up high, Pens fans. WE WILL BE BACK!!! :tt03::tt03:

Detroit's classy fans do get my congrats as well.

Lets stay strong my Penguins brothers and sisters! WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN.

Countdown to Stockholm 120 Days!!!!!!!!!

HometownGal
06-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Excellent article by Ron Cook on the Pens in their quest for the Cup this season. :hatsoff: Actually brought tears to my eyes, though I was beaming with pride reading every word, knowing that the majority of this young and extremely talented team will be bringing hometown pride and excitement to Pens fans for many years to come! :tt03::thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08160/888293-61.stm

A scrapbook full of goals, guts 'n' glory

Sunday, June 08, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As much as everyone might want this season to go on, the bottom line is it ended Wednesday night. Now it's time to go home for the summer, driven home by players such as Evgeni Malkin packing his bags in the Penguins' locker room Friday.The Penguins didn't bring the Stanley Cup back to Pittsburgh, but, from Gary Roberts' goal just 68 seconds into the first playoff game against Ottawa to Marian Hossa's near-miss at the end of the final game against champion Detroit, they gave us wonderful memories that will last long after Sidney Crosby is a very old man.

See how my list compares to yours:

Roberts' goal, 44 days before his 42nd birthday and in only his second game back from a broken left leg and high-ankle sprain ...

WWGRD? Become a cult hero, actually.

Ryan Whitney's fight with Ottawa's Wade Redden in Game 1 ...

No one will ever confuse Whitney with Georges Laraque, but he makes it clear to the Senators they won't be able to take liberties with Crosby. "You earn respect by sticking up for your teammate," said appreciative Penguins coach Michel Therrien.

Ryan Malone's wraparound goal with 1:02 left wins Game 2 against the Senators after the Penguins blow a 3-0 lead ...

Jarkko Ruutu's spinning backhanded goal late in the second period of Game 4 is the series clincher against Ottawa ...

That name, that sliced-and-diced face, that edge to his game make Ruutu a cult hero of Roberts-like proportions.

Second-period goals by Ruutu and Pascal Dupuis within a 24-second span and third-period goals by Hossa and Petr Sykora in a 20-second span help bring the Penguins back from a 3-0 deficit in Game 1 against the New York Rangers ...

Old friend Jaromir Jagr will say later this was when the series was decided.

Young Jordan Staal breaks a scoreless second-period tie against the Rangers in Game 2 by chipping in a goal after a sweet pass from Evgeni Malkin, who beats Staal's brother, Marc, a Rangers defenseman, with an otherworldly move ...

Malkin's two goals help the Penguins win Game 3 against the Rangers and go 7-0 in these playoffs ...

It's hard to believe the goals are Malkin's first at Madison Square Garden.

Hossa's all-out dive to keep the puck in the Rangers' end in Game 5, setting up his power-play goal ...

"You don't see superstars diving for the puck like that very often," Whitney said.

Hossa's Game 5 winner in overtime eliminates the Rangers ...

It's hard to say what made the old arena shake more -- that goal or big Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton jumping up and down like a kid in his first-row seat.

Malkin's shorthanded breakaway goal -- on a slap shot, no less -- freezes Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Martin Biron in Game 1 ...

It was, simply, the most amazing Penguins goal of the playoffs.

Tyler Kennedy's spirited fight with the Flyers' Scottie Upshall early in Game 2 after Upshall had cross-checked Kris Letang from behind late in Game 1 ...

Laraque jokingly referred to Kennedy -- the smallest player on the Penguins' roster -- as a "bantamweight," then said, "I thought that fight was spectacular to see. [Kennedy] wanted to fire up the crowd. He wanted to fire up our team. That's what he did."

Max Talbot, returning after missing three games with a broken foot, gets the third-period goal that finishes off the Flyers in Game 2 ...

"Now I can say I did it. I could stop playing tomorrow and say I scored a game-winning goal in the Stanley Cup playoffs," said Mad Max, whose biggest goal was yet to come.

Sergei Gonchar dives to poke check the puck away from the Flyers' Mike Richards on a shorthanded breakaway in Game 3 ...

It was, simply, the most amazing Penguins defensive play of the playoffs.

Staal scores two goals against the Flyers in Game 4 a day after burying his grandfather ...

"It was my first funeral ever," Staal said. The kid grew up in a hurry this spring.

Where's Jeff Reed when you need him? ...

The Penguins trounced the Flyers, 6-0, in Game 5 to win the series. Does it get any better than beating your hated rival by a touchdown?

Marc-Andre Fleury trips and falls taking the ice for Game 1 against Detroit at Joe Louis Arena ...

It's OK to laugh at Fleury. He laughed at himself. A priceless moment the next day: Fleury repeatedly practiced stepping on and off the ice.

Crosby gives the Penguins life at Mellon Arena by scoring the first two goals against Detroit in Game 3 ...

"What a true leader," Talbot said. "The rest of us have no choice but to follow."

Brooks Orpik's seek-and-destroy shift late in Game 3 when he drills four Red Wings in a 15-second span ...

"That might have been the loudest moments I've heard with the crowd here," Talbot said.

Is Adam Hall living right or what? ...

The fourth-line defensive specialist scored the winning goal in Game 3 against Detroit when he banked in a shot off goaltender Chris Osgood's rear end and was credited with a goal in Game 5 when Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall put the puck in his own net.

Therrien's decision to use Talbot as an extra attacker late in Game 5 with the Penguins down, 3-2 ...

Talbot rewarded the faith by scoring the tying goal with 34.3 seconds left, temporarily silencing the bedlam in Joe Louis Arena.

Sykora's power-play winner in the third overtime ...

This silenced the bedlam for the night after 109:57 of breathtaking hockey.

The gauze in Malone's broken nose ...

He played through the pain and was on the ice for Sykora's winning goal.

Gonchar's back injury ...

He left Game 5 in the second period and didn't return until the deciding power play, picking up an assist on Sykora's goal.

Whitney's 50:46 of ice time in Game 5 ...

And we say this guy is soft?

Fleury's 55 saves ...

None was more spectacular than a toe save on Detroit winger Mikael Samuelsson.

Hossa's goal on the deflection of a Gonchar slapper with 1:27 left cuts Detroit's lead to 3-2 in Game 6 and gives the Penguins a chance before last-second shots by Crosby and Hossa dance harmlessly through Osgood's crease ...

What? You thought this team was going to go out quietly?

One final "Let's Go Pens!" chant even as Red Wings captain Nick Lidstrom prepares to lift the Stanley Cup ...

The fans' message was clear:

Thanks for the terrific season, the great effort, the spilled blood and the broken bones.

Thanks for the fabulous memories.

SteelCityMan786
07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3504426

So if Scott Burnsides Power Rankings Play true to their colors.

Next Spring Joe Louis Arena and Mellon Arena will be hosting the Stanley Cup Finals AGAIN.

Counselor
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Scotty Bowman has left the Red Wings for a position in the front office of the Chicago Blackhawks. This may not seem significant, but he has been a part all four Red Wings Cups since 97. (coach in '97, '98 & '02; front office '08)

I firmly believe that his tremendous hockey mind and ability to scout the Pens, was a huge advantage for the Wings in the cup finals.

I think we will see in the coming years just how good Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter is without Bowman behind him.

X-Terminator
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Scotty Bowman has left the Red Wings for a position in the front office of the Chicago Blackhawks. This may not seem significant, but he has been a part all four Red Wings Cups since 97. (coach in '97, '98 & '02; front office '08)

I firmly believe that his tremendous hockey mind and ability to scout the Pens, was a huge advantage for the Wings in the cup finals.

I think we will see in the coming years just how good Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter is without Bowman behind him.

Yeah, I read about this on a hockey forum I frequent. Red Wings fans are pissed that he chose to leave for a division rival, but I think a big part of why he left is because his son Stan works in the Hawks' FO. He will definitely give the Hawks inside info on the Wings and how to beat them. We'll see how it plays out. I don't think it'll hurt Babc0ck any though - he's got too much talent on that team NOT to end up being the top team not only in the Western Conference, but the NHL.

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I read about this on a hockey forum I frequent. Red Wings fans are pissed that he chose to leave for a division rival, but I think a big part of why he left is because his son Stan works in the Hawks' FO. He will definitely give the Hawks inside info on the Wings and how to beat them. We'll see how it plays out. I don't think it'll hurt Babc0ck any though - he's got too much talent on that team NOT to end up being the top team not only in the Western Conference, but the NHL.

Unless someone gets injured(and I'm saying someone that is very key to the team). If the Penguins are back to number 1 again in East, they should expect to see the Red Wings. The Wings might be angry if he helps the Penguins considering Scotty coached the 2nd Stanley Cup Team in Penguins History.

X-Terminator
08-16-2008, 04:11 PM
%&#$%@#%#$$@$#%$%!!!!

Yeah, I bashed Whitney all last season, but this is not the news I wanted to hear a month before the start of training camp. :banging::banging::banging:

Pens' Whitney out at least three months

By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ryan Whitney's critics have considerably less ammunition today.

Turns out, the defenseman skated on one healthy foot last season.

Whitney, whose point total dropped from 59 in 2006-07 to 40 last season, underwent surgery to correct a left-foot misalignment Friday in Charlotte. Full recovery from the procedure, an osteotomy, usually takes three to five months.

"I just couldn't live on one healthy foot anymore, let alone try to skate," Whitney said Thursday, on the eve of his surgery. "We've tried everything to avoid surgery because we knew it would mean missing a chunk of the season. But nothing worked."

The Penguins confirmed Whitney's surgery yesterday.

Whitney, entering the second season of a six-year, $24 million contract he signed in July 2007, said general manager Ray Shero and coach Michel Therrien "were stunned" during season-ending meetings when Whitney informed them he had played all of last season on basically one skate.

Whitney said several teammates, including defenseman Brooks Orpik and center Sidney Crosby, were aware his left foot "was in bad shape" last season, but he didn't want an injury to be an excuse for an admittedly disappointing season.

"I'm not making that an excuse," Whitney said. "I need to perform better than I did, and I know that is the expectation. But I've always thought skating was the biggest part of my game, and last season, I couldn't skate like I can."

Whitney's loss deals a blow to the Penguins. He spent much of the past two seasons working the "off" point on the power play, where he tallied 16 of his 26 goals.

The Penguins, however, are deep on defense. They will open training camp next month with seven healthy defenseman that are NHL-tested, and right-handed shooting Kris Letang could ease the temporary loss of Whitney.

Also, the organization's top prospect, defenseman Alex Goligoski, starred with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL during his first professional year last season.

Whitney said he first noticed his foot pain when the Penguins played the Ottawa Senators in the opening round of the 2007 Stanley Cup playoffs. He worked with team trainers to correct the problem prior to and during last season, but none of the suggested methods -- specifically the use of orthotics -- worked.

The Penguins supported his decision to seek several medical opinions before opting for surgery, Whitney said. He visited three orthopedic specialists this summer, each of whom initially recommended more conservative treatment options.

But each of those physicians ultimately recommended the osteotomy procedure.

Whitney said missing a portion of the season "looked like a certainty" after consulting with a North Carolina physician who performed the surgery.

"Obviously, had we known surgery was inevitable, we would have had it in June," Whitney said. "Ray was great about trying to treat this without surgery, but nothing we tried worked.

"It's frustrating. We went from being optimistic, I wouldn't miss any time, to maybe not coming back until January. But at least now I know when I come back this year, it will be the me that's coming back."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_583150.html?source=rss&feed=8

pittsburghp8baller
08-17-2008, 12:00 AM
oh man, whatever shall we do now? season is a loss! omg what will i do!

oh wait,

at least now we will have a great first 2-3 months before he get's back then

X-Terminator
08-17-2008, 12:06 AM
oh man, whatever shall we do now? season is a loss! omg what will i do!

oh wait,

at least now we will have a great first 2-3 months before he get's back then

Yes, he stunk last season, but I'd rather have a healthy team going into TC and the regular season.

At least Whitney being out means Goligoski gets his chance to make the team, and hopefully he brings his play from the Calder Cup playoffs with him. And all of a sudden, not trading Darryl Sydor looks like the right move.

pittsburghp8baller
08-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes, he stunk last season, but I'd rather have a healthy team going into TC and the regular season.

At least Whitney being out means Goligoski gets his chance to make the team, and hopefully he brings his play from the Calder Cup playoffs with him. And all of a sudden, not trading Darryl Sydor looks like the right move.

once more shero proves he is a freakin genesis eh?

Lord Stiller
08-18-2008, 08:45 AM

Maybe he stunk because of the injury?

He played well in the playoffs too

At least Whitney being out means Goligoski gets his chance to make the team, and hopefully he brings his play from the Calder Cup playoffs with him.

Yes, that will be good. Also, I hope they let Goligoski or Letang get some time on the top powerplay unit

X-Terminator
08-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Maybe he stunk because of the injury?

He played well in the playoffs too

More than likely. He said the injury affected his skating more than anything else, which would explain the numerous times he was caught out of position. Since he played hurt all year and played so well in the SCF despite the injury, I'll give him a pass for his poor play. It's not easy trying to walk with a bad foot, let alone play NHL hockey with one. At least he didn't try to use it as an excuse and said that he needs to play better

Yes, that will be good. Also, I hope they let Goligoski or Letang get some time on the top powerplay unit

Letang will probably get Whitney's ice time on the top PP unit, and Goligoski will get his share on the 2nd unit if he does make the team. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Malkin on the point with that shot of his, but I'd rather have him down low or along the boards.

pittsburghp8baller
08-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Good write-up on the young talent in our system who may get a chance to play in the NHL this upcoming season.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=380721

with the way they are talking Dustin Jeffrey may be the closest to being ready when it comes to forwards. even with the Whitney injury i dont see the Pens keeping Goligoski on the roster, they are jus to deep.

22 days till our first preseason game! thankfully football season will hold me over until then

stlrtruck
08-29-2008, 07:16 AM
I can't handle the beginning of two seasons so close together. I mean I've got to teach my daughter the importance of football and then hockey kicks off right behind it. It may be too much for her.

X-Terminator
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I can't handle the beginning of two seasons so close together. I mean I've got to teach my daughter the importance of football and then hockey kicks off right behind it. It may be too much for her.

And it starts even earlier this year since they're playing 2 games in Sweden on October 4-5. Oh well, I'm sure your daughter is a quick learner - go slow, watch a game here and there during football season, and I'm sure she'll pick up on it in no time! :thumbsup:

Is it wrong to be more excited about hockey season starting than football season? I'm now a slightly bigger hockey fan than football fan - before now, they were neck and neck. I think enduring the hell that was last season, from the Pats* cheating ways uncovered then swept under the rug by Good Deal, to dealing with the seeming unending negativity concerning the Steelers pushed hockey to the top of the list for me.

pittsburghp8baller
08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Is it wrong to be more excited about hockey season starting than football season? I'm now a slightly bigger hockey fan than football fan - before now, they were neck and neck. I think enduring the hell that was last season, from the Pats* cheating ways uncovered then swept under the rug by Good Deal, to dealing with the seeming unending negativity concerning the Steelers pushed hockey to the top of the list for me.

ive always been a bigger hockey fan than a football fan, so ur not alone. last season i missed more than half of that monday night game against the ravens because i was watching the Penguins beat down the Devils 5-0.

stlrtruck
08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't think it's wrong and there is a part of me that thinks hockey is still more of a pure game (although it's quickly becoming like the NFL and MLB).

pittsburghp8baller
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't think it's wrong and there is a part of me that thinks hockey is still more of a pure game (although it's quickly becoming like the NFL and MLB).

unfortunetly it might not be that far off, with the salary cap jumping so much from year to year. players are getting way overpaid because owners know that the cap will keep jumping so they can jus throw the money in future years, thats why u are seeing so many 7-8+ year deals (Rick Dipietro got a 15 year deal, some1 on the senators i think jason spezza got 10+)

X-Terminator
08-29-2008, 11:56 AM
The money that was thrown around this summer was absolutely ridiculous. Take a look at some of these FA whoppers:

Brian Campbell (Hawks) - 8 years, $56.8 million (almost as much per season as Nicklas Lidstrom, who is only a 4-time Cup winner and 6-time Norris winner)
Wade Redden (Rangers) - 6 years, $39 million (for what, exactly? Leave it to the Rangers to blow the salary curve)
Ryan Malone (Bolts) - 7 years, $31.5 million (he should personally thank Evgeni Malkin for this joke of a contract)
Jeff Finger (Leafs) - 4 years, $14 million (yeah, I don't know who he is either)
Ron Hainsey (Thrashers) - 5 years, $22.5 million (not bad for a guy who just 3 years ago was riding the waiver wire)
Mike Commodore (Jackets) - 6 years, $18.75 million (he's tough and physical, but is a sloth and not particularly good defensively)
Michael Ryder (Bruins) - 4 years, $16 million (talk about cashing in on past reputation - he scored just 40 points last year for the Habs)
Brooks Orpik (Pens) - 6 years, $22.5 million (I love Brooksie, but he ain't worth $3.75 million per year. Not by a long shot.)
Cristobal Huet (Hawks) - 4 years, $22.5 million (yes, he will be making more money than Marc-Andre Fleury, who is 9 years younger, has far, far more upside and has taken his team to within 2 wins of the Stanley Cup. Not to mention it's an awful deal because the Hawks are scheduled to pay Nikolai Khabibulin more than $6 million next season. Nice job! :applaudit:)
Michal Roszival (Rangers) - 4 years, $20 million (yes, the same guy who while with the Pens was not only always injured, but absolutely stunk when he wasn't. Has never scored more than 40 points in his career, but is going to make just $500,000 less than Sergei Gonchar next season? Again, leave it to the Rangers to blow the salary curve)

If these guys can get this kind of money, what kind of scratch will a guy like Marian Gaborik get next season as a UFA? In 2 years, getting Crosby and Malkin for a combined $18 million per season is going to seem like chump change.

pittsburghp8baller
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
If these guys can get this kind of money, what kind of scratch will a guy like Marian Gaborik get next season as a UFA? In 2 years, getting Crosby and Malkin for a combined $18 million per season is going to seem like chump change.

Gaborik will bring in a boat load of money next season if a deal isnt made, he could very well be paid the max amount allowed in the cap room. Gaborik is far beyond any1 on that list u jus mentioned, great find by the way. having Crosby and Malkin, two of the top players in the world for only 18 million combined is an absolute bargain.

pittsburghp8baller
08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
cool little photo album recaping the penguins season

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=MediaGalleryPlayer&galleryId=7030

my favorite is the one where letang is about to layout that flyer

pittsburghp8baller
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Crosby Tops Hockey News Rankings

Pittsburgh Penguins training camp is right around the corner, but some of the players are being honored already.
Recently, Sidney Crosby was rated first in The Hockey News rankings of the NHL’s top 50 players. Teammates Evgeni Malkin and Sergei Gonchar checked in at ninth and 28th, respectively.

Crosby resides atop The Hockey News rankings for a second-straight year, despite suffering a severe high ankle sprain that caused him to miss 29 games last season. When healthy, Crosby was a dominant force. He led the NHL in scoring at the time of his injury and still finished the season with 72 points (24+48) in 53 games. His average of 1.36 points per game was nearly identical to Alexander Ovechkin, who captured the NHL scoring title.

In addition, Crosby tied for the NHL lead in playoff scoring with 27 points (6+21) in 20 games. Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg had 27 (13+14) in 22 games. Crosby’s 21 assists led all playoff scorers and he had multiple points in 11 of 20 playoff games as he led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Final.

The 21-year-old Crosby is nearing some career milestones. He is one goal shy of 100 for his career, five assists shy of 200 and six points away from 300. He enters this season having played in just 213 games.

Malkin took his game to a new level once Crosby was lost with the ankle injury. The gifted young center became a dominating offensive force to lead the Penguins to Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference titles with 54 points (24+30) in the Penguins’ final 36 regular-season games.

He finished second in the NHL scoring race to Ovechkin, with 106 points (47+59) in 82 games. Malkin led the Penguins in goals, assists, points and power-play goals (17). He tied for third in the NHL in power-play points (40) and fourth in power-play goals. His 15-game point streak (7+15) from Oct. 23-Nov. 22, was the longest ever for a Russian-born NHL player.

In addition, he recorded his first two NHL hat-tricks (Jan. 3 vs. Toronto and Jan. 14 vs. NY Rangers).

Malkin, who finished second in Hart Trophy voting, became the 12th player in Penguins history to record 100 points in a season.

Gonchar continued to be among the NHL’s elite defensemen. He finished second in scoring among league blueliners for the second-straight year with 65 points (12+53) and tied for second among defensemen in the playoffs with 14 points (1+13).

He finished fourth in voting for Norris Trophy as NHL’s best defenseman behind Nicklas Lidstrom, Dion Phaneuf and Zdeno Chara.

Gonchar has scored at least 50 points in eight straight seasons, which is tops among active defensemen.

All three Penguins will hit the ice Sept. 16 as the Penguins open training camp.

if it werent for the ankle injury im sure it would of been hard to argue against crosby winning another scoring title and MVP

pittsburghp8baller
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Penguins Prepare For Encore Following Near Miss
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381061

The Pittsburgh Penguins finished second in the Eastern Conference and advanced to the Stanley Cup Final last season. With their sterling roster of talent a year older and a year more experienced, they might not finish second to anyone this season.

How scary is Pittsburgh's talent base? Without Sidney Crosby – the reigning MVP and League scoring champion – for seven weeks due to an ankle injury, the Penguins went 11-6-4 and cruised to the top of the Atlantic Division.

Crosby's absence allowed Evgeni Malkin to shine, and the second-year Russian forward finished second in the League scoring race and the Hart Trophy balloting.

Other players stepped the fore, including goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who returned from his own ankle woes to become the stopper the club hoped for when it made him the first pick of the 2003 Entry Draft.

The hockey renaissance in Pittsburgh continued off the ice, as ground was broken on the team's new home in August.

Goalies

After years of unfulfilled potential, Fleury returned from a nearly three-month absence to reclaim his starting job from Ty Conklin and win 10 of his final 13 starts. His strong play continued in the playoffs as he posted a 1.97 goals-against average and .933 save percentage to help the Pens reach the Cup Final.
He was a far more confident player when he came back from his ankle injury, and the hope is the strong play carries over to next season.

Dany Sabourin returns as Fleury's backup. Sabourin lost the No. 2 job to Conklin last season, going 10-9-1 with a 2.75 GAA and .904 save percentage. At best, he'll be able to give Fleury the odd day off.

Defense

With most of the attention focused on the club's offensive firepower, Pittsburgh's impressive defensive abilities were woefully overlooked.

The Pens were No. 10 in the League in goals allowed (2.58 per game) last season, and were even better in the playoffs, finishing second to Detroit with 2.15 goals allowed per game.

While the Pens aren't the most physical team in the League, they did retain a bit of toughness by re-signing Brooks Orpik. Orpik finished second in the League among defensemen with 239 hits, and his 125 blocked shots was third among the team's blueliners.
Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi also bring a strong stay-at-home presence on the blue line, which allows Sergei Gonchar and Kris Letang to jump into the play offensively.

Gonchar had a resurgent season in 2007-08, finishing second among the League's defensemen with 65 points, and his plus-13 rating marked his best defensive performance since the 2002-03 season.

Letang had 17 points in 63 games as a 20-year-old, but wore down in the playoffs and was a healthy scratch for most of the Cup Final. With a season of experience, his offensive upside should be more evident in 2008-09.

Ryan Whitney will start the season on the injured list after August foot surgery, which will open the door for either veteran Darryl Sydor or offensive defenseman Alex Goligoski, a 2004 second-round pick who had two points in three late-season games.

Forwards

Despite losing Marian Hossa and Ryan Malone in the offseason, the Penguins remain loaded up front.

In Crosby and Malkin, Pittsburgh has two of the most dynamic scorers in the League. They have shown they can excel on separate lines, or play together to create an offensive juggernaut.

Despite missing 29 games with a high ankle sprain, Crosby finished with 24 goals and 72 points in 53 games. He was No. 31 in League scoring, but third with 1.36 points per game. Finally healthy in the playoffs, he led all players with 21 assists, and his 27 points tied Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg for the League lead.

Crosby not only is the team's best player, he's their hardest worker. With him buying into coach Michel Therrien's defensive system, the rest of the team has no choice but to follow along.

Malkin followed his Calder Trophy performance of 2006-07 with 47 goals and 106 points last season, and he had 10 goals and 22 points in the postseason. His game continued to grow in his second season in North America. Still just 22 years old, there's little doubt Malkin can continue to ride shotgun with Crosby well into the next decade.

Petr Sykora also will return after his 28-goal, 63-point season. The 31-year-old forward has the added incentive of playing for a new contract; he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2008-09 season.

To fill the gaps left by Hossa and Malone, Penguins General Manager Ray Shero signed veterans Ruslan Fedotenko and Miroslav Satan away from the New York Islanders. Each had 16 goals for the low-scoring Islanders, but with the potential to flank Crosby or Malkin, those numbers seem sure to go up.

With just 12 goals last season, Jordan Staal was a bit of a disappointment, but he had six goals in the playoffs. As he continues to grow into more of a power forward, he could pick up Malone's ice time in front of the net on the Pens' power play.

With Georges Laraque, Jarkko Ruutu and Gary Roberts leaving over the summer, the Penguins will need Max Talbot and free- agent pickup Matt Cooke to supply missing grit. Talbot struggled with an ankle injury last season and had just 26 points and 53 penalty minutes in 63 games. Cooke had 23 points and 91 penalty minutes last season with Vancouver and Washington.

Three reasons for optimism

* Everybody's healthy. Outside of the rash of ankle injuries that claimed Crosby and Fleury last season, the Penguins are remarkably well-conditioned. Malkin and Staal played all 82 games last season; Staal has missed one game in two seasons, Malkin just four. Sykora played 81 games last year, and Gonchar has missed 11 games in the last three seasons.

* The success arrow seems to be pointing up. Since Crosby's arrival in 2005, the Penguins have gone from No. 29 in the League to No. 10 to No. 4 last season. Their core group gained tremendous experience in playing for the Stanley Cup last spring, and that experience will serve them well when things turn tough this season.

* The team is set for the long-term. Crosby's five-year extension kicks in this season. Malkin, Fleury and Orpik all signed long-term contracts that carry them through the middle of the next decade. The Penguins are set up to be good not just in 2008-09, but for the long haul.

ShutDown24
09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Penguins Prepare For Encore Following Near Miss
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381061

Good read, I'm pleased with whats going on with the team.

pittsburghp8baller
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Crosby among East's best helpers
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=380914&page=NewsPage&service=page

There are players in the NHL who haven’t met a pass they didn’t like, however small the opening may be. They are the ones who will find you even when you’re not open. They will deliver the puck to a slab of ice where only you can handle it.

While there are so many players in the NHL who pile up the assists, only a handful do it with such creativity. As we continue to preview the upcoming season, NHL.com has come up with its list of the top five assistmen in the Eastern Conference.

Don’t sleep when these guys are on the ice. The puck may slide right past you.

1. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins -- Among the NHL’s top 100 all-time assist leaders, only Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux retired with more assists than games played. Crosby has a chance to do just that if he just accelerates his current pace, which is already at an otherworldly level.

Crosby will enter the 2008-09 season, his fourth in the NHL, with 195 assists in 213 games. He had 48 assists in 53 games last season after registering 84 in 79 games the year before, when he led the NHL with 125 points and took home the Hart Trophy.

Crosby was slightly better than an assist-per-game player in last season’s Stanley Cup Playoffs (21 in 20 games), when he led the Penguins to the Final while also leading the NHL in assists and points (27).

He lost Marian Hossa from his line, and odds are Evgeni Malkin will center his own line, but that just means Crosby will have to turn someone else – Miroslav Satan? Ruslan Fedotenko? – into a 30-goal scorer.

2. Marc Savard, Boston Bruins -- Savard is one of only two players in the NHL who has more than 200 assists since 2005. Joe Thornton is the leader with 231, but Savard runs second with 206. In fact, last season was the first time since 2005 he didn’t register 70 assists.

He finished with 63 on a team that scored only 206 goals. But when Savard registered 74 assists in 2006-07, he also played to a minus-19 rating. While he was helping the team produce goals, he couldn’t help the Bruins keep the puck out of the net.

His assist total dipped by 11 last season, when his point total dropped by 18 from 96 to 78, but Savard was a plus-3 and the Bruins made the playoffs. He became more defensive-minded under coach Claude Julien, who preaches defense first.

This season, Savard could be centering a line that includes Michael Ryder, who is looking to regain his 30-goal form. He had only 14 goals last season, but Savard may be the antidote Ryder needs to pull out of his scoring slump.

3. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins -- You all know the story by now: Crosby goes down with a high-ankle sprain in January. Malkin takes over his own line for the first time in his career. Malkin dominates and leads the Penguins surge to the top of the Eastern Conference. Crosby returns to lead the team to the Stanley Cup Final. Malkin continues to center his line.

Malkin finished last season with 59 assists to go along with his 47 goals. He finished second behind Alexander Ovechkin in points with 106 and sixth in the NHL in assists. He is truly one of the game’s most dynamic talents.

Malkin should enter the season centering his own line again. It’s likely that Petr Sykora is back on his right side, but with Ryan Malone in Tampa Bay, coach Michel Therrien could choose to slot Jordan Staal on the left.

Staal was the team’s third-line center last season and one of its best faceoff guys, and he’s big, physical, rangy and fearless. He could be exactly what Malone was last season, when Malkin was getting him the puck and piling up the assists.

4. Jason Spezza, Ottawa Senators --Spezza has the third most assists among Eastern Conference forwards during the last three seasons, trailing Savard and Crosby. He has 182 after helping on 58 goals last season while playing a lot of the time with Daniel Alfredsson and Dany Heatley, who each reached the 40-goal plateau.

If new coach Craig Hartsburg decides to keep that trio together – although it is lumping a lot of offense on one line – Spezza could see another season of 60-70 assists. The only reason he didn’t hit the 70-mark last season was because of injuries.

He missed six games while Alfredsson and Heatley combined to miss 23. Spezza’s 58 assists were seventh in the NHL and his 92 points were a career high.

5. Nicklas Backstrom, Washington Capitals -- It took an unfortunate injury to fellow countrymen Michael Nylander, who was sort of Backstrom’s father figure in North America, for Backstrom to start running his own line with Alexander Ovechkin on his left side.

Ovechkin wound up pumping in 65 goals and Backstrom finished with 55 assists, the most among any rookie last season.

It remains to be seen if Backstrom, Nylander or Sergei Fedorov will center Ovechkin this season, but Backstrom has become one of the leading passers in the game, which is what he was advertised as when Washington took him fourth overall in 2006.

Raw and lacking in confidence at the beginning of the season, Backstrom developed chemistry, both on and off the ice, with Ovechkin last season and he flourished. If he finds it again, he could reach 70 assists or more this season, easily.

they had one for the western conference, im gonna combine them on how i think they should be

1. Joe Thornton- while i truly think crosby is the best playmaker in the NHL, the numbers would argue otherwise. forget that the fact that Thornton has 231 assists since 2005 when u turn some1 like jonathan cheecoo into a 50 goal scorer you def got to throw the guy some props
2. Sidney Crosby- this was hard for to put him here, as I stated above i believe crosby is the best playmaker in the NHL, but numbers dont lie
3. Marc Savard- who has the second most assist since 2005? thats right marc savard. he isnt know much outside of boston and to die-hard hockey fans but Savard continues to put up monster assist numbers without a bonafide scorer.
4. Pavel Datsyuk- A great story, Datsyuk was a sixth round pick turned into selke trophy and stanley cup champion. Datsyuk recorded a career high 66 assists last season. He's gotta love playing with Holmstrom, Zettersberg and Lidstrom
5. Nicklas Lidstrom Det
6. Evgeni Malkin Pit
7. Jason Spezza
8. Mike Ribeiro
9. Patrick Kane
10. Nicklas Backstrom

X-Terminator
09-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Can't argue with that list. I also think Crosby is the best playmaker in the game. I mean, he's played with stiffs like Mark Recchi, Colby Armstrong and Andy Hilbert, and turned them into legitimate threats. Hell, Hilbert had by far the best stretch of his career playing those final 20-something games with Crosby in 05-06, and didn't do shit before or after. I think The Guy Who Stiffed Us would have easily put up 50+ goals, but he decided to walk, so he'll just turn Miro Satan into a 30-goal scorer again. But Thornton's numbers are off the charts, and you're right - anyone who can turn Cheechoo into a Rocket Richard trophy winner deserves all the credit in the world, because he can't skate or handle the puck to save his life. It's nice to see that Malkin made this list, because I don't think a whole lot of fans realize just how good a passer he is. He turned Ryan Malone into a gazillionaire, a guy who had underachieved mightily in his career and much of last season until he was put on Geno's line after Sid got hurt. If the brass does decide to put Staal on his wing, he scores 30, while Geno pots 50 himself. As for Savard, I honestly thought his numbers were inflated from playing with Ilya Kovalchuk and that they'd take a nosedive once he got to Boston, but they haven't. He definitely belongs on this list.

pittsburghp8baller
09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SIHPd3vERUw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SIHPd3vERUw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i was bored and surfing through youtube came across this.

Dam, When does hockey season start?

pittsburghp8baller
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Arguments abound on East's top goalie
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=380592

One of them has won the Vezina Trophy four of the last five seasons and is in line to shatter some pretty significant records this season. Another has been a finalist for the goalie MVP award multiple times.

One of them is a former No. 1 overall pick, and he's the same guy that overcame a serious injury last season to take his team to the Stanley Cup Final. Three others were drafted in the fifth round or later, but have proved so many people ever since.

They are, at least for argument's sake, the top five goalies in the Eastern Conference. Here's who we're talking about, followed by the why:

Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils -- He is the unquestioned king of all goalies in the NHL now and he'll likely have a record-breaking season.

Brodeur, who won his fourth Vezina Trophy in the last five seasons, should take down Patrick Roy's career record for wins. He's just 16 away from tying the record and has had 40 or more wins in each of his last three seasons, and eight of the last 10.

It can be argued that Brodeur is the most important player on any team in the NHL because the Devils are always a contender despite never being a top scoring team. It's all about their defense, namely No. 30.

Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh Penguins -- Fleury, the No. 1 overall pick in 2003, solidified himself as a franchise goalie during the Stanley Cup Playoffs by leading the Penguins to the Final.

Fleury finished the postseason with a 14-6 record and a 1.97 GAA. Prior to the postseason he was coming on strong to help the Penguins secure the Atlantic Division title after missing close to three months with a high ankle sprain.

With confidence finally on his side and a long-term contract in his pocket, Fleury is primed for his best season yet.

Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers -- Lundqvist, a former seventh-round pick, has become one of the most revered goalies in the NHL thanks to his dominance over the last three seasons. He is 104-58-27 with a career GAA of 2.27 and a .927 save percentage.

The Rangers, though, still haven't made it out of the Eastern Conference Semifinals with him, but Lundqvist has won 37 games in each of the last two seasons and posted a career-best 2.23 GAA last season while playing in a career-high 72 games.

Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres -- Miller owned 36 of the Sabres' 39 wins from last season and was also credited with 10 ties. He played in 76 games, tied for second most in the League with Miikka Kiprusoff behind Brodeur and Evgeni Nabokov. He posted a 2.64 GAA.

While the Sabres may be struggling to find stability at the other two positions, they are set in net with a guy who can now be called one of the League's most consistent players. Patrick Lalime is now his backup, but figure on Miller playing 70-plus games.

Tomas Vokoun, Florida Panthers -- Despite facing 2,213 shots last season, the most in the League by more than 100, Vokoun still managed 30 wins, a .919 save percentage and 2.68 GAA over 69 games. Those are outstanding numbers considering how the defense played in front of him.

Vokoun will have to be as good or better this season if Florida wants to make the playoffs for the first time since 2000. Of course, it will help if he doesn't again face more than 2,200 shots

Again, jus how i feel how they should be
1. Martin Brodeur
2. Roberto Loungo
3. Evgeni Nabokov
4. Marc-Andre Fleury
5. JS Giguere
6. Henrik Lundqvist
7. Ryan Miller
8. Chris Osgood
9. Tomas Vokoun
10. Marty Turco

pittsburghp8baller
09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Crosby, Staal A Hit In NYC
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381242

Penguins Sidney Crosby and Jordan Staal were among 14 NHL players who took part in the NHL Player Media Tour this week in New York City.

It was a concerted effort by the NHL’s marketing department to make top players available for pre-season interviews and promotional spots with the league’s television rightsholders as well as the NHL Network, nhl.com, NHL Radio and national media outlets. Versus, TSN and CBC were among the national networks participating.

“Marketing our players in an authentic manner is of critical important to the league,” said Brian Jennings, the NHL’s executive vice president of marketing. “Our aim during this season launch time period is to efficiently use our players’ time to capture key story-lines which create compelling content, and to allow the media to capitalize on that content. Based on this year’s results and feedback, we couldn’t have been more pleased.”

In addition to Crosby and Staal, other players participating were Vincent Lecavalier of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils, Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers, Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets, Patrick Kane and Johnathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks, Ryan Miller of the Buffalo Sabres, Dion Phaneuf of the Calgary Flames, Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings, Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders, and Staal’s brothers – Eric of the Carolina Hurricanes and Marc of the Rangers.

“It’s a fun thing for the parties involved to get in touch with the players before the season starts,” Brodeur told nhl.com. “Promotion of the game is a big thing right now, especially in the days of the internet and TV and how big of an impact each has on the business part of the game. For the young guys and the old guys like myself to commit to come is a great thing.

“We’re a big family and we’re all playing the game we love and trying to grow it for the next kid that comes in.”

im glad to see that they are promoting the game during the offseason too. now if we could only get the NHL to STOP letting teams play games outside of North America would be a bigger than doing this.

X-Terminator
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Arguments abound on East's top goalie
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=380592

Again, jus how i feel how they should be
1. Martin Brodeur
2. Roberto Loungo
3. Evgeni Nabokov
4. Marc-Andre Fleury
5. JS Giguere
6. Henrik Lundqvist
7. Ryan Miller
8. Chris Osgood
9. Tomas Vokoun
10. Marty Turco

I'd put Lundqvist ahead of Fleury and Giguere simply because he has been a Vezina finalist 2 years in a row. Fleury, on the other hand, until this year hadn't put up solid numbers in terms of GAA and save pct. - even 2 years ago when he won 40 games, they were average. Giguere, of course, has won a Stanley Cup, but before then he was fairly inconsistent. I'd still rate Fleury ahead of him.

So my list would be:

1. Brodeur
2. Nabokov
3. Luongo
4. Lundqvist
5. Fleury
6. Giguere
7. Osgood
8. Miller
9. Vokoun
10. Turco

How Miikka Kiprusoff was left off this list is beyond me. He's been one of the best goalies in the league the past 5 seasons and led his team to the SCF in 03-04, getting within a game of winning it. He's certainly better than anyone from 6-10.

pittsburghp8baller
09-05-2008, 06:10 PM
yea i guess im a little bias. i had no problem putting crosby second in the playmakers but yet i have MA Fleury that high. i do think Loungo right now is the most dominating goalie. when he is on, he is probably the hardest goalie to beat. if he only had some good skaters in front of him.

and why kipper isnt on here is beyond me, i was just going on who NHL.com had on their list. i think Kipper and Pascal Leclaire are better than him in the west

pittsburghp8baller
09-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Malkin tops at bringing home fans to their feet
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=380726

There's no denying the fact Washington's Alex Ovechkin has become the ultimate crowd pleaser.

What's not to like? Those yellow laces, that crooked smile and his ability to leap into the air before crashing against the glass have consistently revved up the hometown faithful. For Ovechkin, playing in front of the home fans is always something special, as it is for all players in the League. This past season, a pair of Russians, including Ovechkin and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin proved to be stellar in front of the locals.

While Ovechkin led the League in total goals (65) and points (112) in 2007-08, Malkin finished as the NHL leader in points on home ice. Consider it just another stirring chapter in the rivalry between the two, which began as early as the 2004 NHL Entry Draft when Washington tabbed Ovechkin with the first-overall pick before Pittsburgh followed with their selection of Malkin minutes later at No. 2.

Malkin registered a League-high 64 points in 41 games at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh last season. "Ovie" was a close second with 57 points in 41 games at the Verizon Center. Each has not only become a fan favorite, but bona-fide entertainer within the League.

Here's a look at the top point producers who enjoyed a little home cookin' in 2007-08:

1. Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh -- Malkin topped the League with 64 points, including 18 multiple-point games at Mellon Arena. He had a pair of four-point contests against interstate rival Philadelphia. On Feb. 10, he had a goal and three assists in a 4-3 triumph and on March 16, the native of Magnitogorsk had two goals and two assists in a 7-1 dusting of the Flyers. At no time was Malkin's scoring touch more valuable than when Sidney Crosby was sidelined for 28 games with a high ankle sprain he suffered on Jan. 18. Malkin notched 13 goals and 17 assists on home ice while Crosby was on the mend en route to leading the Penguins to their first division title since 1998.

2. Alexander Ovechkin, Washington -- Ovechkin registered a pair of five-point contests and finished the season with 17 multiple-point games for 57 points at Verizon Center. The most memorable of those two big games in Washington occurred Jan. 31 when, after breaking his nose and needing stitches in his lip after getting hit with a puck, he returned to the ice and scored his fourth goal of the game with 1:26 left in overtime to bring the Caps a 5-4 victory over the Canadiens. His fourth career hat trick was his first ever at home.

Said Ovechkin after the game: "Today was a special day. I broke my nose, have stitches (and) score four goals. Everything (went) to my face." He broke his nose after being driven into the boards by Montreal defenseman Francis Bouillon.

"We scored five, and he was in on all five," Washington coach Bruce Boudreau said following the triumph. "How can you say enough about him? He's an amazing person."

"Ovie" also had three goals and two assists on March 3 in a 10-2 victory over Boston.

3. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay: Lecavalier was rock solid for a team in disarray. He gave fans of the St. Pete Times Forum reason to cheer, scoring 53 of his 92 total points on home ice to finish fourth in the League and third in the Eastern Conference. He registered the fifth three-goal game of his career on Nov. 14 in a 6-1 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. The 6-foot-4, 219-pound center finished the year with 18 multiple-point games at home, despite the fact his team fashioned an 11-24-6 record in Tampa.

4. Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa: "Alfie" is the first of his three linemates to make the list of the League's top scorers on home ice. The team captain has become the steady two-way force who has guided the group at Scotiabank Place. The crafty right wing amassed 49 of his 89 points at home to finish seventh in the League and fourth among Eastern Conference performers in that category. Alfredsson had 14 multi-point games at home, including a five-point showing (2 goals) in a 6-1 triumph over Montreal on Feb. 9. He'll be asked to continue his productivity this season alongside usual linemates Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza.

5. Eric Staal, Carolina: The 6-foot-4, 209-pound center is the older brother of Marc (Rangers) and Jordan (Penguins), two others starring in the League. His youngest brother, Jared, is on the verge of cracking the Phoenix lineup. Eric Staal scored 49 of his 82 points on home ice at the RBC Center in Carolina, finishing in a tie with Alfredsson in the East while placing eighth overall. Carolina actually led the League with 140 goals scored at home, 22 of which were scored by Staal. He had 15 games with two-or-more points at home.

6. Derek Roy, Buffalo: The Sabres finished fourth in the League last year with nearly 3.1 goals per game and Roy, a 5-foot-9, 186-pound two-way center was a big reason. He finished ninth in the League and sixth in the Eastern Conference with 48 points on home ice, posting 16 multiple-point games at the HSBC Arena. When called upon to fill the void left by the departed Danny Briere (Philadelphia), Roy stepped up, registering a career-high 81 points. His production has increased in each of his last three seasons with the Sabres.

7. Dany Heatley, Ottawa: There are few players in the League as consistent as the 27-year-old left wing. He's scored 80 or more points in five of the last six seasons, including the last four with the Sens. Heatley placed seventh on the Eastern Conference home ice scoring chart, collecting 47 points in 37 games last season. He was named MVP of the World Hockey Championships last May in Quebec City after posting 12 goals and 20 points in nine games for silver medal-winning Team Canada. Heatley posted 15 multi-point contests at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa.

8. Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay: So long as St. Louis is healthy, he'll likely be ranked among the League leaders in points, particularly at the St. Pete Times Forum, where he posted 45 points to place eighth in the East on the home ice scoring chart last year. In fact, his 34 assists at home were tops in the Conference. St. Louis, who had 14 multiple-point games at home, scored his lowest goal output (25) since the 2001-02 season when he had 16. With more depth at the forward position in Tampa, including the additions of Steven Stamkos, Ryan Malone and Radim Vrbata, St. Louis will be the beneficiary of more open ice to work his magic.

9. Jason Spezza, Ottawa: If healthy -- Spezza missed six games to injury last season -- there's a good chance the top-line center could lead the Eastern Conference in this category in 2008-09. He finished 10th in the East and 19th in the League on home ice in 2007-08 with 43 points in 36 games. On Feb. 9, Spezza posted a career-high six points at Scotiabank Place, including his first three-goal game, in a 6-1 victory over the Canadiens. He connected for two or more points in 13 home games.

10. Mike Richards, Philadelphia: The Wachovia Center was extremely kind to the 23-year-old center, who scored 42 of his 75 points on home ice, including 29 assists. Richards has transformed himself into the prototypical Philadelphia Flyer. He was second on the team in takeaways (46), hits (110) and plus-minus (plus-14), fourth in penalty minutes (76) and No. 11 in blocked shots (46). He led the team with career-highs in points (75) and assists (47) and is coach John Stevens’ go-to forward in penalty-killing situations. He also finished tied for third in the League with five shorthanded goals.

In the Western Confernece

1. Henrik Zettersberg
2. Marian Gaborik
3. Patrick Kane
4. Joe Thornton
5. Paul Stastny
6. Pavel Datsyuk
7. Henrik Sedin
8. Anze Kopitar
9. Jarome Iglina
10. Ryan Getzlaf

Personally i think Marian Gaborik is the most electrifying player to watch outside of Pittsburgh. All it takes is him easly skating by defenders and then 1,2 deke and then makes the goalies look absolutely ridciouls than your hooked. he is one of my favorite players to watch, anytime the wild play and pens dont thats what ill be watching

pittsburghp8baller
09-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Pens Open Training Camp Sept. 16
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381534

The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their training camp for the 2008-09 season on Tuesday, Sept. 16 for physicals, testing and meetings at the UPMC facility on the South Side. The first on-ice practice session will be Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 9:00am at Mellon Arena.

The Penguins will remain at Mellon Arena through Friday, Sept. 19 for camp sessions. Practices at Mellon Arena, Wednesday-Friday, will be open to the public and free of charge. Players will be on the ice in various groups from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fans may enter through Gate #1 starting at 8:45 a.m. Parking in arena lots will be based on availability and daily rates will apply on weekdays. Concession stands and PenStation, the Penguins official team store, will be open inside Mellon Arena.

The Penguins will open the preseason at home against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday, Sept. 20 at Mellon Arena and will travel to Tampa Bay on Monday, Sept. 22 for the second game of the home-and-home series. The Penguins return home to host the Toronto Maple Leafs Wednesday, Sept. 24th before facing the Leafs in Toronto on Friday, Sept. 26. The Penguins will complete the preseason with an exhibition game against Finnish Club Jokerit on Oct. 2 in Helsinki, Finland.

The Penguins will open the NHL season against the Ottawa Senators on Oct. 4 and 5 in Stockholm, Sweden, before returning to Mellon Arena for the home opener on Saturday, Oct. 11 vs. the New Jersey Devils.

The players will be available to the media starting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 16 at the UPMC facility on the Southside. The 2008-09 preseason and training camp schedules are listed below.

2008-09 PENGUINS PRESEASON SCHEDULE

Saturday, Sept. 20th vs. Tampa Bay 7:30 PM
Monday, Sept. 22nd at Tampa Bay 7:00 PM
Wednesday, Sept. 24th vs. Toronto 7:30 PM
Friday, Sept. 26th at Toronto 7:30 PM
Thursday, Oct. 2nd at Jokerit (Finland) 6:30 PM

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS 2008 TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE
MELLON ARENA - OPEN TO THE PUBLIC PRACTICES:

Wednesday, Sept. 17
9:00-10:00am practice group A
10:15-11:15am scrimmage - A vs. B
11:30-12:30pm practice group B

Thursday, Sept. 18
9:00-10:00am practice group B
11:30-12:30pm practice group A

Friday, Sept. 19
9:00-10:00am practice group A
11:30-12:45pm practice group B

Season is getting closer, i cant wait!!

X-Terminator
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Pens Open Training Camp Sept. 16
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381534

Season is getting closer, i cant wait!!

Hmmm...first open practice is Wednesday, AND I'm on vacation. I might just have to take it in!

I'm starting to get pumped about the start of the season!

pittsburghp8baller
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmmm...first open practice is Wednesday, AND I'm on vacation. I might just have to take it in!

I'm starting to get pumped about the start of the season!

i cant wait either

i want to see how Janne Pesonen looks during the preseason, i hope it works out. It would make Shero look like a genius if he were to score at least 10-15 goals (hoping for more but ill take any production)

pittsburghp8baller
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Staal Happy To Move Back To Wing

Jordan Staal proved he could be an asset in many roles for the Penguins.

Two years ago, he showed he could put the puck in the net with regularity while primarily skating as a winger on Evgeni Malkin’s line.

Last season, Staal displayed a solid two-way game that put him among the league’s top shutdown centers.

His offensive statistics dropped in that role. But, his contributions on both ends of the rink could not be quantified in numbers as the Penguins captured the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference championships.

“I thought I did a great job in the role I had last year,” Staal said. “At the same time, I still wish I could get more opportunities on the offensive side of the puck. I believe that I am player that can do it; it’s just a matter of getting the opportunity. Hopefully, I can take advantage of it.”

It appears Staal will get that opportunity as he began Penguins training camp skating on the left wing on the second line with Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora – in the spot vacated by Ryan Malone.

“It seems like I am starting off on that line,” Staal said. “Hopefully, I can fill in his shoes and play even better he did.”

Regardless, Staal is happy to be reunited on a line with Malkin.

“I think every player who plays with him feels natural,” Staal said. “He sees the ice so well and he can find anyone. It’s just a matter of trying to get open and he will find you.”

didnt think they would move him back to wing. that pretty much finishes up our top 6 forwards.

SteelCityMan786
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Staal Happy To Move Back To Wing

didnt think they would move him back to wing. that pretty much finishes up our top 6 forwards.

Any chances we see Max Talbot as the number 3 Center?

X-Terminator
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Any chances we see Max Talbot as the number 3 Center?

Yep.

It's a good move - Staal and Malkin worked very well together 2 years ago. He won't replace Malone's toughness, but if he's learned to use his size more effectively in front of the net, I think he'll be more productive offensively than Malone was.

I guess this means it's either Pesonen or Tank (Fedotenko) as the LW on Sid's line. Loser gets demoted to the 3rd line with Max and Dupuis. The 4th line center job is also open - Jeff Taffe and Ryan Stone will be competing for that job. Given the choice, I'd take Stone for his grit and his willingness to drop the gloves.

pittsburghp8baller
09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Yep.

It's a good move, because obviously Staal had his best numbers playing with Malkin in his rookie season. He's replacing Ryan Malone, and while he may not be the physical force that Malone was, he has the size to play in front of the net and bang home garbage goals. I think that will end up being a very productive line.

I guess this means it's either Pesonen or Tank (Fedotenko) as the LW on Sid's line. Loser gets demoted to the 3rd line with Max and Dupuis. The 4th line center job is also open - Jeff Taffe and Ryan Stone will be competing for that job. Given the choice, I'd take Stone for his grit and his willingness to drop the gloves.

speaking of Pesonen-
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_588842.html?source=rss&feed=8

it shows the line combos they had for the other day, it had Janne on the 4th line checking. i can see Pesonen creeping up on the the top line, every1 said he is catching on quick

X-Terminator
09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
speaking of Pesonen-
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_588842.html?source=rss&feed=8

it shows the line combos they had for the other day, it had Janne on the 4th line checking. i can see Pesonen creeping up on the the top line, every1 said he is catching on quick

Yeah, I saw that on another hockey forum. Pesonen's speed certainly makes him a good choice in a checking role, but the question is does he want to play that role after being a 1st line talent in Finland? I personally think - now - that Tank would be a better fit on the top line playing the role that Staal is going to play on the 2nd line, but Pesonen may indeed push for it. We'll see - unfortunately they don't have much time to make their decisions since they only have 4 preseason games before heading to Europe.

pittsburghp8baller
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I saw that on another hockey forum. Pesonen's speed certainly makes him a good choice in a checking role, but the question is does he want to play that role after being a 1st line talent in Finland? I personally think - now - that Tank would be a better fit on the top line playing the role that Staal is going to play on the 2nd line, but Pesonen may indeed push for it. We'll see - unfortunately they don't have much time to make their decisions since they only have 4 preseason games before heading to Europe.

i have heard that he is adjusting well to the North American game, so i guess he would fit well there, but with pesonen's speed i want to see him playing with crosby

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi guys im back its been a while for me, but im Excited to See Crosby, Dupuis, and Satan that line should produce more goals because Satan is a definite goal scorer. Our second line seems to be the more dominate one and ahhh PENS SEASON!!!

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi guys im back its been a while for me, but im Excited to See Crosby, Dupuis, and Satan that line should produce more goals because Satan is a definite goal scorer. Our second line seems to be the more dominate one and ahhh PENS SEASON!!!

im not 100% sold on Satan yet, they said that in the scrimmages that crosby has set satan up for a couple of nice chances and he didnt finish. and if Satan cant finish then the Crosby line could be in trouble (lets face it dupuis wont score more than 20 even with crosby). Satan's production has sowly dropped year after year (i know he was on the islanders and their leading scorer had like 45 but it wasnt Satan).

i guess we will see tonight. our projected top six will be playing so we will see

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 04:01 PM
im not 100% sold on Satan yet, they said that in the scrimmages that crosby has set satan up for a couple of nice chances and he didnt finish. and if Satan cant finish then the Crosby line could be in trouble (lets face it dupuis wont score more than 20 even with crosby). Satan's production has sowly dropped year after year (i know he was on the islanders and their leading scorer had like 45 but it wasnt Satan).

i guess we will see tonight. our projected top six will be playing so we will see

Good point. Satan seems to be losing his touch which would make this line in trouble, but in a recent article Crosby says he is going to take more shots instead of passing it. So i think as long as Satan can score and set up Crosby and Dupuis we will be ok.

Like i said our second line is the scoring line, Our first line is just an added plus.

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Good point. Satan seems to be losing his touch which would make this line in trouble, but in a recent article Crosby says he is going to take more shots instead of passing it. So i think as long as Satan can score and set up Crosby and Dupuis we will be ok.

Like i said our second line is the scoring line, Our first line is just an added plus.

this is around the time where crosby should be developing his scoring touch and start to challenge the 50 goal plateau. with these wingers he may have to increase his shot totals, which will probably lead to more goals but i think that the fact that sidney crosby is... sidney crosby he can get both dupuis and satan (im actaully hoping pesonen steps up and takes the first line left wing spot) up to 15-20 goals each

SteelCityMan786
09-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Welcome Back Man. :drink:

Edman
09-20-2008, 06:55 PM
It would be unrealistic to expect the Pens Offense to repeat last year's high scoring second-half preformance. With the loss of Hossa and all. But that's why they play the games.

I've read good things on this Pesonen guy, though.

Here's to watching another great season of Penguins hockey and watching the Red Wings crash and burn.

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
It would be unrealistic to expect the Pens Offense to repeat last year's high scoring second-half preformance. With the loss of Hossa and all. But that's why they play the games.

I've read good things on this Pesonen guy, though.

Here's to watching another great season of Penguins hockey and watching the Red Wings crash and burn.

jus remember that we were doing jus fine without hossa.

btw, Pens up 1-0 after one. it wont let me view any box scores so i cant find out who scored, if any1 can find out it would be much appreciated.

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Lighting Lead 3-1 in the second

Staal scored Malkin and Lovejoy

godard and ryan stone have fought so far so they are doing their job

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Sykora scored assist from Satan and Staal. two point night already for Staal, good see

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Sykora his second, Janne Pesonen gets his first point, Goligoski also got an assist also on the power play

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Pens lose 5-4

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20082009/GS010002.HTM

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Ok so does anyone have any updates on the Gonchar injury? I def. don't wanna lose him already in pre-season! YIKES!

pittsburghp8baller
09-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok so does anyone have any updates on the Gonchar injury? I def. don't wanna lose him already in pre-season! YIKES!

holy crap he got hurt? i didnt hear about that. first whitney (ehh, could do without him) but if Gonchar goes down we are in trouble

steelpride12
09-21-2008, 10:54 AM
holy crap he got hurt? i didnt hear about that. first whitney (ehh, could do without him) but if Gonchar goes down we are in trouble

Ya we have Eaton back and all, but Gonchar is our bread and butter lets hope he will be back and ready for the pre season :banging:

pittsburghp8baller
09-21-2008, 03:15 PM
they said he will be re-evaluated today, hope all is well.

i watch the highlights, some nice goals by the Pens, Fleury looked like he was a little rusty even with the short off-season. two goals were from unlucky bounces and one was a direct result of a sydor turnover (he wont play much)

Eric Godard came in and did what we expect him to do, and it worked i got pumped from watching it.

Fedotenko is gonna play tommorrow, i wonder if they will play the Crosby and Malkin line again?

steelpride12
09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
they said he will be re-evaluated today, hope all is well.

i watch the highlights, some nice goals by the Pens, Fleury looked like he was a little rusty even with the short off-season. two goals were from unlucky bounces and one was a direct result of a sydor turnover (he wont play much)

Eric Godard came in and did what we expect him to do, and it worked i got pumped from watching it.

Fedotenko is gonna play tommorrow, i wonder if they will play the Crosby and Malkin line again?
I wanna see if when the regular season starts in the first line will be Satan, crosby and Dupuis or Fedotenkov. The first line needs this pre season to figure who fits better and where.

X-Terminator
09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I wanna see if when the regular season starts in the first line will be Satan, crosby and Dupuis or Fedotenkov. The first line needs this pre season to figure who fits better and where.

From what I've seen, Satan-Crosby-Dupuis will be the top line going into the season, which I do not like. I'd rather see Fedotenko up there as he is very good around the net and has a better scoring touch. Crosby is not playing tonight, however, so Fedotenko won't get a chance to play with him. If Crosby is serious about taking more shots this season, I really believe he'll come close to scoring 50 goals. The guy scored 36 and 39 goals in his first 2 seasons while not having much of a scoring touch. Shooting more will just make him that much more deadly.

As for Gonchar, he got hurt on a hit by David Koci which may have been a tad late. I just pray it isn't serious, because losing him would be killer to their already depleted D corps with Whitney and Scuderi out of the lineup. It would almost certainly open the door for Goligoski if Gonchar does miss any time.

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
From what I've seen, Satan-Crosby-Dupuis will be the top line going into the season, which I do not like. I'd rather see Fedotenko up there as he is very good around the net and has a better scoring touch. Crosby is not playing tonight, however, so Fedotenko won't get a chance to play with him. If Crosby is serious about taking more shots this season, I really believe he'll come close to scoring 50 goals. The guy scored 36 and 39 goals in his first 2 seasons while not having much of a scoring touch. Shooting more will just make him that much more deadly.

As for Gonchar, he got hurt on a hit by David Koci which may have been a tad late. I just pray it isn't serious, because losing him would be killer to their already depleted D corps with Whitney and Scuderi out of the lineup. It would almost certainly open the door for Goligoski if Gonchar does miss any time.

We will see how Fedotenko does tonight, but without Crosby he may not look that great, but i prefer him over Satan as well on that line. Crosby i feel is going to be more aggressive this season because he can be. He can score goals anyway anyhow and he will prove that.

Savran on sports beat said the Pens are being quiet about Gonchars injury which can be a bad thing most likely. He said he will prob. miss the opening game and possibly more after that, the Pens are going to evaluate the press tom. so lets pray for good news!:banging:

pittsburghp8baller
09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
looking at the box score the game seems to be getting out of hand. four fights and paul bissonnette got a game misconduct after his second fight

Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski have two assist on the power play, Pens lead 3-2

X-Terminator
09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
We will see how Fedotenko does tonight, but without Crosby he may not look that great, but i prefer him over Satan as well on that line. Crosby i feel is going to be more aggressive this season because he can be. He can score goals anyway anyhow and he will prove that.

Savran on sports beat said the Pens are being quiet about Gonchars injury which can be a bad thing most likely. He said he will prob. miss the opening game and possibly more after that, the Pens are going to evaluate the press tom. so lets pray for good news!:banging:

Well according to NHL.com, Tank has an assist and a boarding major. And I prefer him over Dupuis, not Satan - he'll be fine as Crosby's RW.

Rumor has it that Gonchar may be out 3-4 weeks. If that's the case, he'll be out until mid-to-late October and at least 8 games. I just hope that ends up being right - if it's any longer than that, the Pens will be in trouble.

BTW, there have been 5 fights and 101 PIMs so far in tonight's game, with the Pens leading 3-2.

pittsburghp8baller
09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
all the fights are the younger people trying to make a name for themselves

scratch that they must of changed the scoring because they had Bill Thomas with the goal and assist from Letang and Goligoski and now it says jus Letang with the goal.

looks like letang is gonna fill that role jus fine (jus like i knew he could and eventually would)

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Well according to NHL.com, Tank has an assist and a boarding major. And I prefer him over Dupuis, not Satan - he'll be fine as Crosby's RW.

Rumor has it that Gonchar may be out 3-4 weeks. If that's the case, he'll be out until mid-to-late October and at least 8 games. I just hope that ends up being right - if it's any longer than that, the Pens will be in trouble.

BTW, there have been 5 fights and 101 PIMs so far in tonight's game, with the Pens leading 3-2.

Ya the game is out of control and hope it ends with no injuries on either side. Agreed though because i was never a fan of Dupuis he never showed his greatness and thats sad when your on a line with Crosby.

Crosby Tank and Satan would be a pretty sick line, but they would have to prove that of course and it will take time for them all to get used to each other.

Ya if Gonchar is out that long good let him heal up. Any longer and im looking for Flower to have a rough start he needs the defense to step up big this season.

X-Terminator
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
all the fights are the younger people trying to make a name for themselves

scratch that they must of changed the scoring because they had Bill Thomas with the goal and assist from Letang and Goligoski and now it says jus Letang with the goal.

looks like letang is gonna fill that role jus fine (jus like i knew he could and eventually would)

I don't think so, because Bissonnette was trying to get at David Koci before their first fight, which is likely a direct result of his hit that caused Gonchar's injury. The others likely were the case of younger guys trying to make an impression, including Zenon Konopka for the Bolts with his hat trick of fights tonight.

The Pens want Letang to be more aggressive offensively and shoot more, because he has a great shot. I agree that he'll be just fine if he does step up his offensive game. And with the way Goligoski apparently has been playing, the kid needs to be up here right now. Let Scuderi sit in the press box - this kid is the real deal. Don't think it's going to happen though.

pittsburghp8baller
09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't think so, because Bissonnette was trying to get at David Koci before their first fight, which is likely a direct result of his hit that caused Gonchar's injury. The others likely were the case of younger guys trying to make an impression, including Zenon Konopka for the Bolts with his hat trick of fights tonight.

The Pens want Letang to be more aggressive offensively and shoot more, because he has a great shot. I agree that he'll be just fine if he does step up his offensive game. And with the way Goligoski apparently has been playing, the kid needs to be up here right now. Let Scuderi sit in the press box - this kid is the real deal. Don't think it's going to happen though.

yea, Bissonnette is trying to prove himself by stepping up and handling business by going after the guy who injured one of our star players even though it happened the other night.

i agree with the way Goligoski has been playing, we need to find room for him now (that is if we are without Gonchar).

pittsburghp8baller
09-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Pens win 3-2

TK with the game-winner. Sabo and John Curry comined to stop 37 shots.

steelpride12
09-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Im so excited for the regular season Oct. 4th Baby!!!

pittsburghp8baller
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
ah crap its happening already!

Crosby to miss exhibition game tonight
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_589913.html?source=rss&feed=12

Gonchar Out Of Lineup Indefiniately
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=383250

On a good note, Pittsburgh native Bill Thomas made the cutdown to 29 players. from what i hear, all the coaches have nothing but good things to say about him

steelpride12
09-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Well lets hope Crosby is ready for opening day which i know he won't wanna miss.
Gonchar is sadly gonna miss alot of time, with Whitney of course so our defense has to step it for there absence.

Im watching the live stream of the game and so far im pretty Impressed with Fedotenko he is playing well with a few mistakes, but that's expected on a new team.

I can't complain the defense looks pretty swell themselves so far, but the offense is clicking.

X-Terminator
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Crosby's injury is not serious - he may even play Friday night in Toronto. But regardless, he will be ready for the season opener. Gonchar's injury, however, is a big, big loss. A dislocated shoulder probably means he's going to be out at least 2 months. Oh well, other guys are just going to have to step it up.

pittsburghp8baller
09-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Crosby's injury is not serious - he may even play Friday night in Toronto. But regardless, he will be ready for the season opener. Gonchar's injury, however, is a big, big loss. A dislocated shoulder probably means he's going to be out at least 2 months. Oh well, other guys are just going to have to step it up.

yea, it didnt seem big. i think it even said it in there that it was more of a precaution and id rather that they did that. The Gonchar loss hurts A LOT, but i am fully confident in Kris Letang's ability to run the powerplay. he may be young, but like what was said before his first shootout attempt against Calgary- he enjoys the spotlight. What better way to grab the spot light by quarterbacking one of the most feared powerplays in the NHL.

any updates on Scuds? did he play tonite or his he still out? Right now how do u think our six/seven d-man shape out?

1. Kris Letang
2. Rob Scuderi
3. Mark Eaton
4. Hal Gill
5. Brooks Orpik
6. Darryl Sydor
7. Alex Goligoski
8. Danny Richmond

Not in any particular order jus putting out what i think our top d-man will be.

i think Goligoski right now has played himself into the top six for now, until we either get Whitney or Gonchar back. if he isnt starting, i say keep him in the AHL we can deal with the other seven, but i think the lack of offensive minded d-man other than Letang will keep Goligoski in the NHL.

im probably repeating everything that has been said, maybe even by me, but its late and my back is keeping me up so- i figure if i rant i may be able to fall asleep

X-Terminator
09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
yea, it didnt seem big. i think it even said it in there that it was more of a precaution and id rather that they did that. The Gonchar loss hurts A LOT, but i am fully confident in Kris Letang's ability to run the powerplay. he may be young, but like what was said before his first shootout attempt against Calgary- he enjoys the spotlight. What better way to grab the spot light by quarterbacking one of the most feared powerplays in the NHL.

any updates on Scuds? did he play tonite or his he still out? Right now how do u think our six/seven d-man shape out?

1. Kris Letang
2. Rob Scuderi
3. Mark Eaton
4. Hal Gill
5. Brooks Orpik
6. Darryl Sydor
7. Alex Goligoski
8. Danny Richmond

Not in any particular order jus putting out what i think our top d-man will be.

i think Goligoski right now has played himself into the top six for now, until we either get Whitney or Gonchar back. if he isnt starting, i say keep him in the AHL we can deal with the other seven, but i think the lack of offensive minded d-man other than Letang will keep Goligoski in the NHL.

im probably repeating everything that has been said, maybe even by me, but its late and my back is keeping me up so- i figure if i rant i may be able to fall asleep

That list looks about right. I think Goligoski makes the team as well and will see some PT. How much he gets remains to be seen. Once Gonchar comes back, he'll probably be sent down. Or they could trade Sydor and/or Scuderi to make room for him if he continues to play well. As for Scuds, I haven't heard anything about him or his injury. Personally, I'd play Go-Go over him right now, but Therrien loves him, so he'll play once he's healthy.

HometownGal
09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Of course, I'm extremely upset over the injuries the Pens have suffered, but especially Sarge's separated shoulder. Ughhhhhh. He is one of the team leaders and his absence will surely be felt. I have complete confidence in our other Dmen to step up their play until Sarge is ready to play again.

Get well soon my Sergei! :thumbsup::hug: :hug:

pittsburghp8baller
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Of course, I'm extremely upset over the injuries the Pens have suffered, but especially Sarge's separated shoulder. Ughhhhhh. He is one of the team leaders and his absence will surely be felt. I have complete confidence in our other Dmen to step up their play until Sarge is ready to play again.

Get well soon my Sergei! :thumbsup::hug: :hug:

yep he is gonna be extremely missed. Gonchar is one of the best, if not best, power play quarterbacking defenseman in the NHL. Website says he is likely six weeks so that is the first month and a half of the season.

on another note, Crosby will play tonight against the maple leafs as Malkin and Sykora are out of the lineup.

We also signed TK to a two-year contract extenstion

X-Terminator
09-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Gonchar likely out at least six weeks

The timeframe for defenseman Sergei Gonchar's recovery from a left shoulder dislocation is likely between six weeks and six months.

Gonchar, out since last Saturday when he was hit by Tampa Bay forward David Koci, said Thursday he will meet with an orthopedic specialist on Monday -- part of a continued attempt to educate himself on non-surgical alternatives.

He has already been examined by team physician Dr. Charles Burke and an orthopedic specialist.

"It's either, 'You're doing surgery' or 'You're not doing surgery.'" Gonchar said of his options. "I still have time before we do anything. Either way we're going, I have to make sure my shoulder is strong and all the swelling is going down."

The Penguins officially list Gonchar as "out indefinitely." General manager Ray Shero said Wednesday that Gonchar is rehabbing the injury, but he is not willing to speculate on recovery time.

Rehabilitation to full health from a dislocated left shoulder usually takes six weeks, Dr. Trent Gause of North Hills-based Tri Rivers Surgical Associates said yesterday.

Dr. Gause, not familiar with the specifics of Gonchar's injury, said recovery from surgery to correct a left-shoulder dislocation is between "four and six months, especially for a contact athlete."

"It's always a debate with an athlete if you fix the shoulder or let him go back and play," Dr. Gause said. "If it's a recurrent problem, then you fix it with surgery."

Gonchar said this is his first shoulder injury.

Gonchar has yet to receive a magnetic resonance imaging test due to swelling around the left shoulder. He "knew right away" his shoulder was seriously injured by Koci's hit.

Penguins center Evgeni Malkin, a close confidant of Gonchar, knows that feeling. Malkin's left shoulder was dislocated Sept. 20, 2006, in a collision with teammate John LeClair. It was Malkin's first NHL exhibition game, and the injury -- which did not require surgery -- kept him out four weeks.

"All dislocations are different," Shero said.

The Penguins are just happy they have Malkin, especially now that they are without Gonchar, who tallied 132 power-play points the past three seasons.

The Penguins are banking on Malkin producing as he did last season over the 28 games missed by center Sidney Crosby due to an ankle injury. Malkin scored 20 goals and registered 46 points over that span -- the fuel to his fiery pursuit of Washington left wing Alexander Ovechkin for the scoring title. Malkin finished second to Ovechkin in that race and the one for league MVP.

"He's a very special player," right wing Petr Sykora said of Malkin. "He's the kind of player who thrives on that attention. It drives him. He loves being in special situations."

Malkin, who has replaced Gonchar at the point on the top power-play unit, assisted on Sykora's advantage goal to give the Penguins a 1-0 lead in Wednesday's exhibition win against Toronto.

That Malkin set up a power-play goal in his first full game working from Gonchar's customary spot did not surprise teammates. But Malkin said his approach won't change.

"I play my game," Malkin said. "I don't feel any different. I play the same with Sid and 'Gonch.' It's the same."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_590174.html

6 weeks, to 6 months. Let's hope it's the former and not the latter.

Also, here's the story on Kennedy's re-signing: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=383518

pittsburghp8baller
09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Pens Win 5-4

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=43&gameType=1&page=Recap&season=20082009&service=page

Kris Letang and Matt Cooke scored late third-period goals to lift the Penguins to a come-from-behind 5-4 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs in a pre-season game Friday in Toronto.

Letang tied the score at 4-4 at 16:14 of the third period and Cooke got the game-winner at 18:25.

The Penguins finished the NHL portion of their pre-season schedule at 3-0-1, with the only loss coming in a shootout against Tampa Bay.

The Penguins leave Saturday for Sweden and play a final pre-season game against Jokerit of the Finnish Elite League on Thursday, Oct. 2 in Helsinki, Finland. They then open the NHL regular season with two games against the Ottawa Senators on Saturday, Oct. 4 and Sunday, Oct. 5 in Stockholm, Sweden.

The Pens trailed by scores of 1-0, 3-1 and 4-3 Friday in Toronto but continued to show resilience.

Sidney Crosby had a goal and an assist after sitting out Wednesday's home game against Toronto as a precaution with a sore groin. Janne Pesonen and Mark Eaton scored the other goals for the Penguins. Ruslan Fedotenko had three assists and Alex Goligoski added two assists.

Marc-Andre Fleury got the win in goal, stopping 36 of 40 shots. Toronto outshot the Penguins, 40-25.

steelpride12
09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Well lets hope Gonchar only misses six weeks and we can have him and Whitney come back in December strong. Good game last night the team is truly starting to come together and Oct. 4th couldn't come sooner!

X-Terminator
09-29-2008, 04:56 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

Sergei Gonchar of the Pittsburgh Penguins will mis 4-6 months due to surgery on a dislocated left shoulder, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Monday.

The team is expected to announce Gonchar's injury status on Tuesday.

Gonchar was injured during the first period of the Penguins' preseason opener. At the time, Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero said surgery is an option for the 34-year-old defenseman, who is entering his 14th NHL season.

"I think Sergei is at a point right now where he just needs to gather as much information possible through the doctors and make a decision when he's comfortable making a decision," Shero said last week.

Initial estimates said he would be out 2-3 weeks if he didn't need surgery.

Gonchar led the reigning Eastern Conference champions in ice time last season and was third on the team in scoring with 12 goals and 53 assists.

Gonchar is one of the NHL's premier offensive defensemen, having accumulated 430 points in 904 career games. He ranked second in the league in scoring at his position last season with 12 goals and 53 assists for 65 points and has had at least 57 points each of the past eight seasons.

Gonchar's injury means that Pittsburgh will open the season without their top two defensemen. Ryan Whitney underwent foot surgery last month and is likely out until December.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3616704

I officially hate David Koci now.

You want to talk about BIG trouble? The Pens are chest-deep in it right now. Goligoski and Letang absolutely HAVE to play well and provide offense if they're going to have any chance at repeating their division championship, much less make the playoffs. I just hope Fleury isn't going to be a basket case by January, because he's going to see a LOT of rubber this season.

steelpride12
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3616704

I officially hate David Koci now.

You want to talk about BIG trouble? The Pens are chest-deep in it right now. Goligoski and Letang absolutely HAVE to play well and provide offense if they're going to have any chance at repeating their division championship, much less make the playoffs. I just hope Fleury isn't going to be a basket case by January, because he's going to see a LOT of rubber this season.

OMG our young defense better step up or it's gonna be a long season.
We won't get Whitney back till about mid-December so the youngs guys need to step up and Fluery needs to play lights out!

X-Terminator
09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
OMG our young defense better step up or it's gonna be a long season.
We won't get Whitney back till about mid-December so the youngs guys need to step up and Fluery needs to play lights out!

Well if they don't, it's going to be a very long season. Not only are they going to have to carry the load offensively, they are going to have to improve dramatically defensively. They are still a playoff contender even without Gonchar - I'm not concerned about that. They have too much firepower to not be able to win consistently. But without him, they may not do very much once they get there. He means that much to the team and the D corps.

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Well if they don't, it's going to be a very long season. Not only are they going to have to carry the load offensively, they are going to have to improve dramatically defensively. They are still a playoff contender even without Gonchar - I'm not concerned about that. They have too much firepower to not be able to win consistently. But without him, they may not do very much once they get there. He means that much to the team and the D corps.

Agreed our offense will of course step in every gamer and score points thats never a problem, but losing your top defense men and one of the best in the league all around is a major loss.

That young defense like Letang, and Goligoski look up to gonchar and he is there mentor and losing him hurts in so many ways and won't look to stunning till at least Whitney returns.

pittsburghp8baller
09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
i think we will be fine. we are a lot deeper at D than people give us credit for. u cant replace a sergei gonchar but we still have a few servicable d-man that we can plug in for the last pairing

remember when we questioned adding danny richmond and joey mormina. now like i said neither can replace gonchar but both can fill in nicely as a last pairing d-man.

cant wait for the season to start, still waiting for my Kris Letang winter classic jersey to come in, hopefully its here by time the season starts

pittsburghp8baller
10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Crosby, Pens Top Jokerit, 4-1
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=384497

HELSINKI, Finland -- Sidney Crosby had three assists, Evgeni Malkin scored a power play goal and Ruslan Fedotenko knocked in the eventual game-winner as the Penguins defeated Jokerit of the Finnish Elite league, 4-1, in the "NHL Challenge" Friday at Hartwall Arena.

The Penguins finished the pre-season with a 4-0-1 record and will open the regular season Saturday and Sunday against the Ottawa Senators in Stockholm, Sweden. The team, which has been based in Sweden all week, returned to Stockholm after Friday's game.

Malkin opened the scoring with a power play slap shot at 9:00 of the first period, off assists from rookie defenseman Alex Goligoski and Crosby.

New linemates Crosby, Fedotenko and Miroslav Satan then combined to make it 2-0 with 9.2 seconds left in the first, as Fedotenko converted a set-up from Crosby.

Marc-Andre Fleury smothered the Jokerit attack for 33:03 before he was replaced in goal by Dany Sabourin. Coach Michel Therrien said before the game that he wanted both goaltenders to see action against Jokerit, and Sabourin replaced Fleury with 6:57 left in the second period.
Jokerit got on the board when Janne Lahti scored on a penalty shot against Sabourin at 5:03 of the third period. Brooks Orpik had hauled down Lahti on a break.

Tyler Kennedy made it 3-1 for the Penguins at the 12-minute mark of the third. Finnish native Janne Pesonen assisted on the play, drawing a warm response from the crowd. Kris Letang also had an assist.

Pascal Dupuis then iced the game with an empty net goal for a 4-1 lead with 13 seconds to play. Crosby and Hal Gill assisted.

NOTES - Max Talbot, who sat out the game with a sore leg, has been cleared to return to practice Friday. ... Petr Sykora also missed the game (sore groin). Pesonen took Sykora's spot on the second line with Malkin and Jordan Staal to start the game. ... Paul Bissonnette was inserted into the lineup and skated on the fourth line. ... The Penguins have to make one roster move Friday to get down to the 24-man roster limit before Saturday's opener... Malkin and Orpik wore A's as alternate captains ... Friday afternoon's practice is open to the public in Stockholm.

Malkin and Orpik with the 'A' on their jersey. i can live with that. Janne Pesonen got another point, and he played with Staal and Sykora. Looks more and more like he is gonna make the team. at least while we are in sweeden at least

X-Terminator
10-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Malkin is only wearing an A for this month - they are rotating it. Orpik's, however, is permanent.

Tank-Crosby-Satan is going to be friggin DEADLY this season. Both of those guys have to feel like they've died and gone to Heaven playing with Sid.

I hope Sykora and Talbot are ready to go on Saturday. It is also looking more and more like Paul Bissonnette is indeed going to make the team. That's good, because we can use the extra muscle when we take on the Flyers and Bolts.

Also, the word on the street is Tyler Kennedy is going to be moved to his natural C position after spending the last 4 years at RW, and will likely center the 4th line. If that's the case, then Pesonen and Thomas will make it and Taffe will be the odd man out. We'll see.

pittsburghp8baller
10-02-2008, 08:09 PM
yea Kennedy was a center while he was in juniors, they said he will be moving back there and that he is adjusting there well

steelpride12
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Fedo Crosby and Satan i just can't wait to see together if thats our first line. After a few games to get used to each other there going to be key for our wins and our second line looks as well.

X-Terminator
10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Pens Cut Pesonen, Finalize Roster

The Pittsburgh Penguins will have a 24-man roster for season-opening games on Saturday and Sunday against the Ottawa Senators at the Globe Arena in Stockholm.

Forward Janne Pesonen has been assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL). He will remain in Stockholm with Pittsburgh through the weekend before reporting to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Pesonen scored two points (one goal, one assist) in three preseason contests for the Penguins.

The 24-man roster for the Bridgestone NHL Premiere games includes 14 forwards, seven defensemen and three goaltenders.

The roster includes forwards, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Petr Sykora, Miroslav Satan, Ruslan Fedotekno, Matt Cooke, Max Talbot, Tyler Kennedy, Pascal Dupuis, Eric Godard, Jeff Taffe, Bill Thomas and Paul Bissonnette; defensemen Brooks Orpik, Rob Scuderi, Hal Gill, Mark Eaton, Darryl Sydor, Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski; and goaltenders Marc-Andre Fleury, Dany Sabourin and John Curry.

The Penguins and Senators open the NHL regular season with back-to-back games in Stockholm. Starting time for both games will be 2:30 p.m. Pittsburgh time.

Both games from Sweden will be televised locally by FSN Pittsburgh, with Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey calling the action. On the radio side, Mike Lange and Bourque will call the games on 105.9 The X and the Penguins radio network. For complete coverage of the trip, including video reports, please log on to www.pittsburghpenguins.com.

The Penguins will open Mellon Arena on Saturday, October 4 so that fans can watch the Pens take on the Senators in Sweden on the arena Jumbotron.

Admission is free. Complimentary parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis in all Mellon Arena lots. Concession stands and PenStation, the official team store of the Penguins, will be open. Fans may enter Mellon Arena via Gate 1 located along Centre Avenue beginning at 11:30 am.

There will not be a watch party on Sunday.

Pesonen cut (http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=384679)

Looks like Biz Nasty and Pittsburgh's own Bill Thomas have made the squad. Curry will be the other guy sent down once the Pens get back from Sweden. I am a little surprised, though, that it was Pesonen who was cut, but in looking over the roster, there's really nowhere to put him. I can't see him reporting to Wilkes-Barre either, and will likely go back to Finland.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Happy New Year Penguins Fans!!!!

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Kennedy gets the first goal of the season at 2:52.

1-0 Penguins

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 02:03 PM
PP goes 0/2

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Sean Donovan scores 1-1

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Power Play 0/3

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Power Play Sucks right now at 0/5

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Malkin and Heatley Scores 2-2.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Spezza adds 1 and Ottawa leads 3-2 at the break.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Scuds scores to make it 3-3.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Possible OT on the way.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2008, 04:26 PM
KENNEDY SCORES AND THE PENGUINS WIN 4-3 IN OVERTIME!!!!!

HometownGal
10-04-2008, 04:36 PM
What a GREAT game by the Pens!!!! :tt03::applaudit::applaudit:

Tyler-Who scores both the opener and the game winner! :thumbsup: Malkin's short-handed goal was a thing of beauty! :applaudit:

It still hurts to see Ruutu wearing the #73 for Ottawa. I'm still PISSED about the Pens not giving him that one extra year he wanted on his contract. :mad:

steelpride12
10-04-2008, 05:14 PM
What a good opener for the Pens.
Tyler Kennedy proved to this team and the fans he can hang with the top guns and provide with goals.
Fedotokov and Satan looked pretty good with Crosby, but still need to work on some plays.
My only negative was the Power Play chances the Pens went 0-7, but the Sens do have a top penalty kill.

Overall great game by the Pens with a strong start from everyone. Next game Tom. 2:30PM EST

GO PENS!

X-Terminator
10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
What a GREAT game by the Pens!!!! :tt03::applaudit::applaudit:

Tyler-Who scores both the opener and the game winner! :thumbsup: Malkin's short-handed goal was a thing of beauty! :applaudit:

It still hurts to see Ruutu wearing the #73 for Ottawa. I'm still PISSED about the Pens not giving him that one extra year he wanted on his contract. :mad:

I can only think they didn't offer him the 3rd year for salary cap reasons down the road since they will have to give extensions to Letang and Goligoski at that point, and they will need the extra money. I don't like the move myself because I can't stand Matt Cooke and would much rather have Ruutu in the agitator role. It's the same for me as if, God forbid, Darcy Tucker ever suited up for the Penguins. I don't know if I'll ever warm up to Cooke.

Anyway, it was a nice win for the Pens today and got off on the right foot. The PP wasn't very good, but it isn't going to be until they find the right combo, not to mention the fact that they haven't really had much time to work on it since their preseason was so short. They are really going to miss Gonchar back there regardless - they will still be a top-10 unit without him given all the firepower they have, but they could have been the best in the league with him. He is the one who starts everything for the Pens on the PP.

steelpride12
10-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I think the defense looked pretty good back there. No one will see it right away, but having Eaton back is a def. helper. Orpik with the contract extension and Scuderi looking strong plus a goal. Also Letang stepped up did get knocked around, but played alot on min and held up descent. Im excited to see how they work without Gonchar or Whitney, but im not worried when you have Fluery out there.

Edman
10-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Wasn't exactly pretty, but anytime we beat the Senators it's a good day in my book.

Great job, Penguins!

pittsburghp8baller
10-04-2008, 10:30 PM
other than the power play and a few miscues in the defensive zone we looked real good. to be honest, it really doesnt look like Malkin is comfortable at the point. he overplayed that puck that lead to the shorty by the Sens.

TK def moved up my favorite players. he already was one of my favorites. Letang showed his toughness out there taking those hits and still lead the D-Man in minutes. and steelpride ur right, having Eaton back is a huge plus.

Big win and a good way to induct my new kris letang winter classic jersey

Preacher
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Bump

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Game time for another Sens loss. 2:30
GO PENS!
I'm excited to see how the Pens will handle there power play if they will mix it up or keep the same game plan.

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Goligoski and Bill Thomas get the starts today.

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 02:32 PM
0-0 after first period.
Pens still struggling on the PP went 0-2 in first period, but look good on the Penalty kill.
A man who catches my eye every shift is Talbot. He goes out there and uses speed and strength to get the puck and create opportunities, he looked great out there.
4th line looks weak not a fan of Paul Bissonnette, but Goddard brings that extra strength we need.

SteelCityMan786
10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Still 0-0 in the 2nd.

SteelCityMan786
10-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Power Play looks god awful.

1-0 Ottawa.

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
end of second period Sens up 1-0 on the Pens.
Again nothing from the PP starting to get worried.
The Pens have too much firepower and need to start scoring more often on PP or not.
Fluery looks great even giving up the goal he had a couple nice saves tonight.
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 04:16 PM
3-1 Pens lose.
Well i guess the positive is the Pens got a PP goal with 1 second left in the game, by the youngster Alex Goligoski.
Still many questions to be answered before the home opener against the Devils next Saturday.

Were is the offense. Lets hope the first line is just working things out with the new players, because the Pens have the fire power to score goals on all lines.

Defense let up 1 bad goal so not a bad day for them. Goligoski looked pretty good his first 2 games, made some miscues, but handled the PP at the point just fine, and he has his first NHL goal Congrats.

Hopefully Sat. we will have Sykora back on the second line or third and we can score it. Good weekend in Sweden still alot of work.
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I just found out its Mario's Birthday. Happy Birthday 66!!! :)

X-Terminator
10-05-2008, 06:40 PM
3-1 Pens lose.
Well i guess the positive is the Pens got a PP goal with 1 second left in the game, by the youngster Alex Goligoski.
Still many questions to be answered before the home opener against the Devils next Saturday.

Were is the offense. Lets hope the first line is just working things out with the new players, because the Pens have the fire power to score goals on all lines.

Defense let up 1 bad goal so not a bad day for them. Goligoski looked pretty good his first 2 games, made some miscues, but handled the PP at the point just fine, and he has his first NHL goal Congrats.

Hopefully Sat. we will have Sykora back on the second line or third and we can score it. Good weekend in Sweden still alot of work.
GO PENS!!!

I was watching the game today and it was like they were using it as an extended preseason game. No fire whatsoever, and really was quite boring to watch. Plus, the ice was absolutely horrible - the Pens are a puck-possessing team, and you can't possess the puck if it's bouncing all over the place like a ping-pong ball. The PP still looks out of sync - hopefully they will get that fixed in time for the home opener. All in all, I wanted a split of those games, and they got it. Now it's time to play for keeps.

steelpride12
10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I was watching the game today and it was like they were using it as an extended preseason game. No fire whatsoever, and really was quite boring to watch. Plus, the ice was absolutely horrible - the Pens are a puck-possessing team, and you can't possess the puck if it's bouncing all over the place like a ping-pong ball. The PP still looks out of sync - hopefully they will get that fixed in time for the home opener. All in all, I wanted a split of those games, and they got it. Now it's time to play for keeps.

Yes lets hope we see the reals Pens team when they return home on Saturday!

HometownGal
10-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Since this forum has been invaded by spammers and bots, I am going to sticky this, along with the other active threads.

X-Terminator
10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks, HTG!

Pittsburgh Penguins Acquire Forward Mike Zigomanis From Phoenix In Exchange For Future Considerations
Penguins Forward Jeff Taffe Clears Waivers; Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Oct 9, 2008, 4:21 PM EDT

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forward Mike Zigomanis from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for future considerations, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Zigomanis, 27, split the 2007-08 season between the Phoenix Coyotes and the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League (AHL). The right-handed shooter appeared in 33 games for the Coyotes, recording three points (two goals, one assist) and six penalty minutes. Zigomanis played 27 games for the Rampage, tallying 25 points (10 goals, 15 assists) along with 14 penalty minutes. He posted five assists and 10 penalty minutes in seven playoff games with San Antonio.

The 6-1, 195-pound penalty-killing forward played 73 NHL games for Phoenix in 2006-07, scoring 23 points (14 goals, nine assists). He ranked seventh in the NHL with a face-off percentage of 56.2%. He has registered 33 points (19 goals, 14 assists) and 58 penalty minutes in 167 career NHL games with the Carolina Hurricanes and Phoenix.

The North York, Ontario native was originally selected by the Buffalo Sabres in the second round (64th overall) of the 1999 Entry Draft. Zigomanis re-entered the draft in 2001 and was selected by Carolina in the second round (46th overall).

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=385721

I'm not sure I like this deal for the simple fact that it means Paul Bissonnette doesn't get to play, and I like having the added toughness in the lineup. However, the Pens can certainly use another good face-off man, so in that regard it's a pretty good deal.

Also, Petr Sykora is not expected to play tomorrow, and there will be all-new banners raised for their previous championships along with the 2 for last season's division and conference championships, as well as 2 new ones commemorating the Pens' 12 scoring championships and 5 MVPs.

HometownGal
10-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks, HTG!

I'm not sure I like this deal for the simple fact that it means Paul Bissonnette doesn't get to play, and I like having the added toughness in the lineup. However, the Pens can certainly use another good face-off man, so in that regard it's a pretty good deal.

Also, Petr Sykora is not expected to play tomorrow, and there will be all-new banners raised for their previous championships along with the 2 for last season's division and conference championships, as well as 2 new ones commemorating the Pens' 12 scoring championships and 5 MVPs.

And we'll be there to celebrate with the Pens! :tt03::drink:

steelpride12
10-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks, HTG!

Darn i didn't know Sykora's injury was this bad, but let him heal up we need his added scoring power. Paul Bissonnette has the strength, but the talent was just not there and i was never a fan of him. Plus we have Goddard to do all the fighting for us and its nice to acquire someone who can take a face off.

SteelCityMan786
10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Pens still lose, but congrats to Mirsolav on his first goal as a Penguin!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

steelpride12
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Ah That game was a true heart breaker. Fluery has one of his best games ever,the saves he made were crazy and he had a career high 47 saves.
Of course the defense is suspect to giving up all the chances and we expected that without our anchorman Gonchar.
Getting the power play goal early was def. nice to see and Congrats to Satan for his first goal as a penguins!
Well very disappointing to lose with 36.5 seconds left in OT, but we got a point out of it.
Next Game Tuesday 7:00PM EST home against the Flyers.

SteelCityMan786
10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Ah That game was a true heart breaker. Fluery has one of his best games ever,the saves he made were crazy and he had a career high 47 saves.
Of course the defense is suspect to giving up all the chances and we expected that without our anchorman Gonchar.
Getting the power play goal early was def. nice to see and Congrats to Satan for his first goal as a penguins!
Well very disappointing to lose with 36.5 seconds left in OT, but we got a point out of it.
Next Game Tuesday 7:00PM EST home against the Flyers.

I got my anti-flyer stuff ready.

steelpride12
10-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I got my anti-flyer stuff ready.

A good beat down of the flyers always makes me happy! :drink:

SteelCityMan786
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
A good beat down of the flyers always makes me happy! :drink:

**** Philly. :tt03: