PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

steelpride12
10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
**** Philly. :tt03:

AMEN! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
10-12-2008, 07:43 PM
AMEN! :thumbsup:

What do you call a whining Flyer?

A Crier.

X-Terminator
10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Eh, tough loss, but it's only game 3 and their schedule has been a wreck. Once this team jells, they will be just fine. Fleury, however, was in mid-season form. He single-handedly kept the Pens in the game and definitely deserved the #1 star despite the loss. If the Pens' D gets better so that he won't have to face as much rubber, look out!

Oh, and PHUCK FILLY!

steelpride12
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM
What do you call a whining Flyer?

A Crier.

Philly is not even worth making fun of, dirty playing bastards.

SteelCityMan786
10-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Philly is not even worth making fun of, dirty playing bastards.

I hate Philly. So I shall make fun of them as much as I want

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Game tonight. Pens vs the hated flyers tonight at 7:00PM EST on Versus.
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
10-14-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/p_135689.html

Penguins set for 'Classic' blue debut
By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A mid-November Saturday night at Mellon Arena will look a lot like New Year's Day.

The Penguins will debut their alternate uniforms Nov. 15 at home against the Buffalo Sabres, the Tribune-Review has learned.

The uniforms will mirror the retro-themed ones worn against Buffalo at the New Year's Day NHL Winter Classic. The alternate design borrows from several early uniform incarnations and consists of a predominantly baby blue sweater and socks, with navy pants, gloves and helmet.

The Penguins had no comment Monday regarding the alternate uniforms debut date. However, they are finalizing plans for a formal re-introduction, which could include players modeling the alternate uniforms sometime prior to the Nov. 15 contest.

The alternate uniform is slated to be worn at select home games throughout the season.

Local merchants will begin selling the alternate sweaters around Nov. 15. League policy is for alternate sweaters to go on sale near their debut date, but not several weeks prior.

The Penguins have not worn an alternate uniform since 2001-02, when their current home black-and-gold design served as a third uniform. The franchise has worn a variation of black-and-gold uniforms since Jan. 30, 1980, when it switched from its original color scheme of various blues.

Pittsburgh is the only city in North America with each of its professional clubs sharing a primary color scheme.

Looks like my birthday gift is going to come 2 months later this year! :wink02:

I've also heard a rumor that when the Pens move into their new barn, they're going to switch to the blue uni's full-time. I would not be against this - it would be taking the team back to its roots and would give them their own identity, separate from the Steelers and Pirates.

stlrtruck
10-14-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/p_135689.html

Looks like my birthday gift is going to come 2 months later this year! :wink02:

I've also heard a rumor that when the Pens move into their new barn, they're going to switch to the blue uni's full-time. I would not be against this - it would be taking the team back to its roots and would give them their own identity, separate from the Steelers and Pirates.

From a fan outside of Pittsburgh, I don't mind the blue uniforms from the past but the Black and Gold uniforms unite the city and it's fans. They are the only city whose professional teams have the same colors - I say keep it that way!!!

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Sykora to Make Season Debut

Right winger Petr Sykora will make his season debut Tuesday night against the Philadelphia Flyers.

“He’s going to play,” said head coach Michel Therrien following the morning skate. “He feels comfortable to play. That’s his call. We’re more than happy to have him back in the lineup”

Sykora will skate on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal. The tandem worked all training camp together until an illness and groin injury sidelined Sykora for nearly two weeks.

“It’s always been a good chemistry with Malkin,” Therrien said. “Hopefully, we’ll find them clicking right away.”

Sykora's presence could inject some scoring power for a team that hasn’t scored an even-strength goal in two games.

“(Sykora) seems to find that goal-scoring touch at the right time,” Staal said. “Hopefully, he can come through for us (Tuesday).”

> The Penguins have shuffled all of their lines for Tuesday's match-up with Philadelphia. Sidney Crosby has been reunited with Pascal Dupuis. It should be a smooth transition since the two played a majority of last season together following his acquisition from the Atlanta Thrashers.

“I know what (Crosby’s) going to do,” Dupuis said. “I played with him in preseason. The only game I didn’t play with him was in Europe. I’ll play my game, do my role. That’s what they want me to do.”

Dupuis started training camp on Crosby’s line along with Miroslav Satan, but was replaced by Ruslan Fedotenko. Dupuis was re-paired with Crosby late in New Jersey’s 2-1 overtime win on Saturday.

Sykora’s return will push Tyler Kennedy to the third line, with Fedotenko and Max Talbot.

“Obviously, TK’s (Tyler Kennedy) turbo is ready to go,” Talbot said. “He had a great start of the year. He’s been battling really hard. He worked out hard this summer. I’m pretty excited he’s a part of the line (Tuesday).”

> He said it: Michel Therrien on the passing of New York Rangers’ Alexei Cherepanov.

“I’m thinking more about the family more than anything. Those young athletes, their family is proud of their son. They wish them the best. They put a lot of sacrifice as parents, as brother and sister. Your first thought is the family.

“The hockey side is way behind as far as I’m concerned. It's sad news for everyone involved. It’s sad for our game too, losing a young man. We heard a lot of good things. He was supposed to be a great player. It’s just a sad day.”

i know it was a matter of time till Tank dropped down to the third line

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Sykora to Make Season Debut

i know it was a matter of time till Tank dropped down to the third line

My Boy Sykora returns GREAT NEWS!
I figured Tyger Kennedy would drop down, Sykora has the speed and firepower the second line needs and the third line needed the extra speed, and Kennedy is young and has many years to develop into a second or even first liner someday in his career.

For now.....LETS GO PENS, Kick some Flyer ass! :flap:

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Godard vs Cote round 1. wat a scrap! 10x better than any of laraques fights. lets see if that can grab us some momemtum

first powerplay, lets turn things around

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 07:07 PM
classy move by the 'captain' of the fylers. throwing a bunch at eaton while both are on the ice and the ref already on top of eaton

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
0-3 on the power play! come on now. dupuis has had a couple of really good chances. things have been looking a lot smoother with dupuis-crosby-satan

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 07:56 PM
amazing penalty kill by the penguins. compelte team effort. Fleury has been amazing.

we have had our chances just cant capatilize

another powerplay, lets hope we can finish

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Good Penalty kill and the Pens come back strong and on the PP....GOAL!!!
Brooks Orpiks first of the season great wrist shot.
Pens leading 1-0 with 5:00 remaining in the second period.

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
GOAL PENS!!! 1-0

Brooks Orpik his first of the year. nice shot, great screen by TK

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
2-0 Pens on Zigomanis' first as a pen. great setup by cooke

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
2-1, Hal Gill's second own goal. cant put the net in the other teams goal so he has started to put it in his own net

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
End of the Second period with the Score tied 2 to 2.
Goals from: Orpik and Zigomanis
The Pens had a mental lapse giving 2 goals in under a minute which is un called for right now and they have the momentum going into the third!

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Zigomanis and the bottom line stepping up big Cooke made a great pass in front of the net.
Terrible defense and faceoff winning to give them 2 freaking goals under a minute!!!

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Come in the third play well on both sides and lets get the momentum we had with the 2 goals, we hit about 100 cross bars and keeping the pressure on will help.
Crosby, Malkin and Sykora need to get it together get off the shots and score!

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Fluery looks amazing making great stops so far this entire season. He already has over 120 shots stopped showing the defense has to step up.

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
still nothing on the PP

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 09:17 PM
10.8 seconds left in OT
GOALLLLL!!!!!
Pasqual Dupuis Nailes a gorgeous slapshot.
PENS WIN!!! 3-2!!!

pittsburghp8baller
10-14-2008, 09:17 PM
DUPUIS!!!!!!!!! with the OT winner

great game all around, one of my favorites to watch

steelpride12
10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Good win for the Pens solid performance by the players you wouldn't expect to score, and once again Fluery played amazing great saves all around!
Goals from: Orpik, Zigomanis, Dupuis!!!

SteelCityMan786
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
WE WIN PHILLY!!!!!!!

JUST LIKE THE FINALS!!!!!!

Edman
10-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Great exciting win by the Pens last night. Conjured up memories of the ECF earlier this year.

Oh yeah, and the Flyers suck.

stlrtruck
10-15-2008, 07:42 AM
It was nice to catch the last 3 minutes of regulation and OT.

And I agree Edman - Flyers Suck!

X-Terminator
10-15-2008, 08:27 AM
http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2008/10/Dupuis.jpg

PHUCK FILLY.

steelpride12
10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2008/10/Dupuis.jpg

PHUCK FILLY.

Sick picture, great slapshot by Dupuis and a great finish to kick philly's ass! :thumbsup:

steelpride12
10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=-7&id=22298
Great Vid.

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Game tonight.
The famous sid the kid vs Ovechkin
Will be a high scoring hit fest!
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 11:58 AM
this could very well be a high scoring game. Mike Green washington's top d-man has more goals than any of our forwards.

if Theodore starts than it is a good chance this is high scoring (fleury is gonna have to come up huge to keep this score down).

Brent johnson usually plays well against us (i was at the first Pens-Caps game last year when we won 2-1, johnson started). so if he plays then it could be a rough game.

Washington defense has improved some quickly, they held the underrated vancouver offense, who put up 10+ on Calgary to start the season, to 11 shots on monday.

its gonna be another great game, cant wait to be talking trash to the Cap fans. the only think im not looking forward since they are playing the Caps im gonna have to watch it on comcast., the commentaries are the biggest homers ive every heard and they are jus plain annoying

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 04:18 PM
No doubt gonna be a tall task for the Pens and the goals will rap up pretty quickly.
That talented defensemen for the Caps is very impressive, plus Ovechkin a huge test for our defense.
We needs goals from our top lines even though they have not been the ones producing im sure with ovechkin around Crosby, and Malkin will have more will to out play their competition and i say we win 5-4.
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
No doubt gonna be a tall task for the Pens and the goals will rap up pretty quickly.
That talented defensemen for the Caps is very impressive, plus Ovechkin a huge test for our defense.
We needs goals from our top lines even though they have not been the ones producing im sure with ovechkin around Crosby, and Malkin will have more will to out play their competition and i say we win 5-4.
GO PENS!

just about every Pens/Caps game is high scoring (except for of course the game i went too), so i figure this is gonna be a high scoring game. the ovechkin line is obvious dangerous but the line that scares me more at the moment is the laich-semin and usually nylander line.

cant wait less than two hours till the game starts

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
just about every Pens/Caps game is high scoring (except for of course the game i went too), so i figure this is gonna be a high scoring game. the ovechkin line is obvious dangerous but the line that scares me more at the moment is the laich-semin and usually nylander line.

cant wait less than two hours till the game starts

Less than a half and hour WOOT!
Im just waiting for Satan to get comfortable with the Crosby line and the speed, because when he does those two will be scoring like crazy.

Semin is a great player and def. someone other than Ovech who we must watch out for and def. can't afford to let the Caps have many PP, they will rip the D apart.

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Penguins Report: Cooke May Miss Game
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=386931

Forward Matt Cooke missed his second straight day of practice with an unidentified injury, making it unclear whether or not he’ll play in Thursday’s showdown against his former team, the Washington Capitals.

“He was not able to practice yesterday, so it’s day-to-day,” head coach Michel Therrien said. “We’ll find out how he’s going to feel about it. It’s not a major concern though.”

If Cooke can’t go, Bill Thomas or Paul Bissonnette could see action on the forth line. Or Therrien could dress defenseman Darryl Sydor, using him as a fourth-line winger and on the power play as he did against New Jersey on Oct. 11. Therrien wasn’t about to tip his hand on the line combinations.

“Game-time decision,” he said.

> The high-powered Capitals will be a test for rookie Alex Goligoski, who has never played Washington.

“I haven’t seen a lot of these teams before,” he said. “It’s a little bit different. I think it’s just a feeling out process out there. It’s about going about your business. They’re fast. They’re really skilled. Keep them in front of you. Don’t let them beat you. Those guys rack up a few points in games, it’s going to be tough to win that game.”

Goligoski’s defensive partner, Mark Eaton, thinks the best defense is to play physcially against Washington.

“Whenever you’re talking about guys with scoring ability, you just get in their face as much as you can and take away their time and space,” Eaton said. “Make life as hard as you can. They have one of the best goal scorers in the game. It’s going to be a group effort.”

> Sidney Crosby addressed his scoring “drought” today. He’s had a number of quality scoring opportunities but only has two assists in four games to show for it..

“I wouldn’t change a lot that I’ve done over the last four games,” Crosby said. “I’m pretty confident that if I keep doing the same things, that stuff will come. It’s one of those things that I just have to keep doing the same thing.”

> He said it: Alexander Ovechkin on the possibility that the NHL won’t allow its players to take part in the 2010 Olympic Games.

“Everybody wants to represent their countries, especially in the Olympic Games,” he said. “It’s still a long way until the Olympics Games and I don’t know what’s going when the Olympics come. I want to play.”

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Less than a half and hour WOOT!
Im just waiting for Satan to get comfortable with the Crosby line and the speed, because when he does those two will be scoring like crazy.

Semin is a great player and def. someone other than Ovech who we must watch out for and def. can't afford to let the Caps have many PP, they will rip the D apart.

yea

Nylander-Backstrom-Semin-Ovechkin-Green, thats freakin scary.

it will come down to whether or not we can get shots on net, especially if theodore in net. he is a washed up form of his MVP self. like i said before, washington's defense held vancouver to 11 shots on net, if we can only manage 11 shots well unless theodore has one of those nights and fleury can play out of this world then maybe we have a shot. but usually 11 shots on net facing that kind of offense will go down as loses most of time.

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
yea

Nylander-Backstrom-Semin-Ovechkin-Green, thats freakin scary.

it will come down to whether or not we can get shots on net, especially if theodore in net. he is a washed up form of his MVP self. like i said before, washington's defense held vancouver to 11 shots on net, if we can only manage 11 shots well unless theodore has one of those nights and fleury can play out of this world then maybe we have a shot. but usually 11 shots on net facing that kind of offense will go down as loses most of time.

O no doubt our top lines need to come into tonight firing the puck and getting pressure on Theodore.
We need to get 20-25 shots on net to have a good game and score goals. I look for Malkin to come up big against his rival Ovech, and Fluery needs to play lights out.

Plus lets keep up the good work from the 3rd and 4th line as well, would be nice for Kennedy or Zigomanis to score again.

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
great start for the pens. crosby almost knocks 1 in, then we get a power play

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Goligoski!!!! His second and on the power play.

that was something theodore probably should of stopped, but none the less, 1-0 pittsburgh

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
GOLIGOSKI GOAL!!!
This kid has some potentional as a scoring defense men even though it was a lucky shot.
Pens 1-0 5:54 remaining in the first.
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 07:11 PM
So much for power play struggles eh? Malkin scored his second of the season, the Pens second power play goal.

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
MALKIN GOALL!!!
Another PP goal great pass from Satan Malkin wide open, goal automatic!
Pens 2-0

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
End of the first period, Pens 2-0
Goals from: Goligoski(2), Malkin(2)
Both goals on the PP and they are 2-3 in the game with another coming in the beginning of the second.
So the Pens can very much be a threat on the PP and Malkin wide open in front of the net is almost always a goal.
Caps shooting themselves in the foot with the penalties.
Still alot to play, defense keep up the blocked shots.

GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
10-16-2008, 07:42 PM
3-1 pens after Satan and Fleishchman goals

Bizz Nasty taking care of business against matt bradley.

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
SATAN GOALL!!!
Satan(2) shoots the puck already heading in from Sykora on the 5-3, once again caps shooting themselves in the foot.
Caps did score minutes laters.
Pens Lead 3-1

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Bizz looked pretty good and def. busted his nose up real good.
Nice punch!

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
End of the second remains 3-1 Pens lead.
Wow Ovech is really taking shots a Malkin he def. wants him out getting pathetic, YO Ovech look at the score board.
I truly like how Gill is playing so far tonight, he looks strong on the Penalty kill and is stopping Ovech pretty well.
Pens play well in the third and send the Caps packing!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Only problem i see over the last 3 seasons is the Pens give up leads ALL THE TIME.
Already did twice this season and tonight have blown a 3 point lead.
Pens and Caps tied at 3.

Edman
10-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Pretty miserable loss tonight. Completely outplayed by the Crapitals in the third period. What happened to the Defense?

Penguins have to learn how to finish games.

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Final Score Pens fall 4-3.
Wow i am so aggravated right now, i cannot believe we gave up 4 50n5 goals in a row to BLOW A 3 POINT LEAD!

steelpride12
10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Pens next game Sat. 7:00PM against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
I say Pens finish the home stand with a strong win against a sub par team and go confidentially on the road.

HometownGal
10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Pretty miserable loss tonight. Completely outplayed by the Crapitals in the third period. What happened to the Defense?

Penguins have to learn how to finish games.

XT and I were at the game and we were just flabbergasted. They kept AO in check all night long and you could see his frustration, but they just seemed to quit in the third period. 21 shots on goal in the 3rd is just unacceptable and it had to suck to be them in that lockeroom post-game. I think Gonchar's absence is a huge blow to the D - he is their anchor and with Whitney out for an extended period of time as well, the youngins are getting more ice time than they really are ready for at this point, but it is an unavoidable situation unless they do something to acquire a vet Dman in the next couple of weeks.

It's very early in the season and this team has a plethora of talent. They are 2-2-1 in their first five games and it could be worse. I don't know what it is lately with their 3rd period play but they need to snap themselves out of it and play the style of hockey they are very capable of doing.

LETS GO PENS! :drink:

steelpride12
10-17-2008, 06:10 AM
XT and I were at the game and we were just flabbergasted. They kept AO in check all night long and you could see his frustration, but they just seemed to quit in the third period. 21 shots on goal in the 3rd is just unacceptable and it had to suck to be them in that lockeroom post-game. I think Gonchar's absence is a huge blow to the D - he is their anchor and with Whitney out for an extended period of time as well, the youngins are getting more ice time than they really are ready for at this point, but it is an unavoidable situation unless they do something to acquire a vet Dman in the next couple of weeks.

It's very early in the season and this team has a plethora of talent. They are 2-2-1 in their first five games and it could be worse. I don't know what it is lately with their 3rd period play but they need to snap themselves out of it and play the style of hockey they are very capable of doing.

LETS GO PENS! :drink:
Ya, as aggrivating as the game was last night, remember the Pens last season had a pretty awful start and were almost last in the division, but you couldn't tell because of how they ended up.

I guess thats why they play 82 games a season, Pens will find a way to fight through the injuries last season it made them a better team and if they wouldn't have given up in the third it would have been an easy win.
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
10-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Penguins Report: Sabourin Gets Shot in Net
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=387638

Dany Sabourin will see his first action of the season Monday night against the Boston Bruins at TD Banknorth Garden at 7 p.m.

Sabourin posted a 10-9-1 record with a 2.75 goals against average and a .904 save percentage last season. He faced the Bruins once in his career as a member of the Vancouver Canucks, giving up two goals in a 2-0 loss on Dec. 21, 2006.

Matt Cooke did not make the trip to Boston and will miss his third consecutive game with an undisclosed injury.

Paul Bissonnette will play take his place on the fourth line with Mike Zigomanis and Eric Godard.

> Sabourin's start will give Marc-Andre Fleury a chance to rest. One of the bright spots in the early part of the season has been Fleury's performance. The former No. 1 overall pick has a 3-2-1 record with a 2.42 goals against average and .924 save percentage. Fleury is leading the league in saves with 183 – 25 more than second-place Kari Lehtonen.

“Fleury was sharp at times; I like the way that he’s playing,” head coach Michel Therrien said. “He’s a guy we (have) a lot of confidence (in). That’s another young player. Sometimes you have to be patient with goalies. We certainly were patient with him.”

Fleury hasn’t lost a step from his late run last season, when he returned from a high ankle sprain to reclaim the starting goaltender job and lead Pittsburgh to the Stanley Cup Final.

“He just kept up playing the same way that he played the second half, when he came back from the injury last year,” Therrien said. “He’s playing that same level. The experience that he got last year in the playoffs gave him the confidence that he needs, especially to start the year this year.”

Fleury so far has played in all six Penguins game this year. He is considered an elite goaltender in the league and possibly will get the bulk of the starts this season.

It’s not known if he will carry the load like a Martin Brodeur, who played in 70-plus games in 11 of the last 12 seasons. But Fleury certainly has that potential. So is the early workload tiring him out?

The Pascal Dupuis-Sidney Crosby-Evgeni Malkin line had instant success in Saturday’s game against Toronto. The trio combined for two goals and six assists for eight points. The tandem also produced two five-on-five goals. The team had only one five-on-five goal in the previous four games.

Lost in the mix were the remaining line combinations of Tyler Kennedy-Maxime Talbot-Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko-Jordan Staal-Petr Sykora. While the top unit got most of the attention, Therrien believes that the other line combinations also showed progress.

“I like (the) Talbot line tonight with Satan,” he said. “I thought they were pretty good. Staal felt comfortable there as a center. He got some chances. You know it’s only a matter of time before that line will click.”

Part of the benefit for the new line configurations, according to Therrien, was to move Staal back to his natural position of center.

“He’s better as a center and with a top two-line player, somebody’s got to move,” he said. “Definitely Jordan is a better center man than a winger. He’s good (on) both sides of the ice, he’s smart, he can make plays, (Saturday night) he had a few scoring chances. If he keeps getting those chances, eventually the puck will go in.”

Therrien hasn’t committed to the current line combinations for the long term just yet but for the time being, he is sticking with what works.

“We’re going to keep going in that direction,” he said. “We’ll see down the road.”

> Pittsburgh’s game against Boston will be the team’s first conventional road test. The Bruins will be geared up to play because the game will also be their home opener.

They’ll be fired up,” Dupuis said. “Obviously, it’s another challenge, another day, another game. Every home opener there’s always a long (ceremony) before the game. Obviously, they’ll be out there standing for a little while and we’ll be in the (locker) room. We’ll be ready. I’m not worried about that.”

The game at TD Banknorth Garden will have extra significance for Dupuis. It was in that arena that he made his Penguins debut and picked up a goal on Feb. 28, 2008, following his acquisition from the Atlanta Thrashers.

“I played my first game with the Penguins against these guys when we got in last year,” Dupuis said. “I scored my first game. I have to drive to the net, and playing with these two guys (Crosby and Malkin) pucks are going to be there.”

After Monday’s game, the Penguins will return to host the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday before embarking on a lengthy four-game road excursion through Manhatten, San Jose, Phoenix and St. Louis. In fact, the Penguins will play six of seven game on the road after the Carolina matchup. But the Penguins are no strangers to travel.

“We’ve been on the road in Sweden,” Therrien said. “We figure they were road games for us. The next games, we’re going to play a lot of games on the road. This is where you build character - on the road.”

good luck Sabo tonight

X-Terminator
10-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Sabu did good tonight - very solid performance and the Pens get the SO win 2-1. Malkin, surprisingly, gets the winner - just his 4th SO goal in 18 attempts. It's amazing how some guys with world-class talent struggle on breakaways or in shootouts - I remember Gretzky was absolutely awful on breakaways, but could pick the corner from the top of the circle with ease. Imagine what a prime Lemieux could do in a shootout...

steelpride12
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
35 saves by Sabo good performance by him.
Starting to realize the good pick up for Satan he already has 4 goals and looked good tonight.
Hoping our powerful offense will look like the Toronto game more often and score alot, but a win is a win good game.
GO PENS!

HometownGal
10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
35 saves by Sabo good performance by him.
Starting to realize the good pick up for Satan he already has 4 goals and looked good tonight.
Hoping our powerful offense will look like the Toronto game more often and score alot, but a win is a win good game.
GO PENS!

Sabo played very well last night. :applaudit: :tt03:

I couldn't stand Satan prior to him coming to the Pens, but he has turned out to be quite a find and is quickly becoming one of my new faves! He may not be the fastest skater on the ice, but he handles the puck beautifully, though he is the beneficiary of Sid's and Geno's outstanding passes.

Here's hoping for a great game against the Canes on Thursday night! :drink: I'll be there with Angie cheering on our men of winter!

steelpride12
10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Sabo played very well last night. :applaudit: :tt03:

I couldn't stand Satan prior to him coming to the Pens, but he has turned out to be quite a find and is quickly becoming one of my new faves! He may not be the fastest skater on the ice, but he handles the puck beautifully, though he is the beneficiary of Sid's and Geno's outstanding passes.

Here's hoping for a great game against the Canes on Thursday night! :drink: I'll be there with Angie cheering on our men of winter!

Penguin games have the most amazing atmosphere as do Steeler games, i hope you have an amazing time, and drive carefully. Im not going to a game till December, only got tickets to four games because of the high prices.

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=388163
Already 2 top defense men out, and now Gill, lets hope Sydor's Veteran leadership will help.
Game time 7:30PM EST, GO PENS!!!
Staal vs. Staal!

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
O Shoot Orpik made a turnover and Sutter scored on a break away.
Canes up 1-0

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Jordan Staal is hungry for a Goal against his brother, Pens look good on PP, just one unlucky goal against.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Pens DOMINATE the second period, but not much to show but effort and sweat as the Canes still lead 1-0 after two periods of play!
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
PENS GOALSS!!!
Power house offense in the third period gives the Pens a 3-1 Lead with 2:00 left.
Goals from Crosby(2), Fedo(1), and Talbot(1) all in 3:36 seconds!!!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
PENSSSS WINNNN!!!
Final Score Pens 4-1.
Pens starting the game pretty rough, back and forth play, One slip from Orpik and the Canes lead 1-0.
The Pens put pressure all second period, but nothing to show until the third.
Pens come out in the 3rd with 4 goals to dominate the Canes.
Goals from Crosby, Fedotenko, Talbot, and Malkin(EN)!!!

The Pens have that offensive fire power and it was finally shown tonight in the third, Malkin and Fedo and Talbot especially had great nights getting turnovers and turning them into cash.
Fluery with an outstanding game once again and the defense holding their ground with Hal Gill in the line up. Overall great win for the long road trip!!!
GO PENS!!!
Next game Sat. @ NYR 7:00PM EST

Pittsburghfan
10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Fleury came so close to getting that goal! he has wanted one since his rookie year.. I hope he gets one.

steelpride12
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Fleury came so close to getting that goal! he has wanted one since his rookie year.. I hope he gets one.

O man when it was trickling near center ice i could have swore it was going in. He will get one this season i smell it!

pittsburghp8baller
10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
great game tonight. tonight proves that hard work pay off. ive never seen a team work so hard in a game.

HometownGal
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
great game tonight. tonight proves that hard work pay off. ive never seen a team work so hard in a game.

Just got home from the game a little while ago. Way to come back and win guys! :drink::applaudit::thumbsup:

I thought they looked a little sluggish in the first period and seemed to have a little trouble getting the puck out of their own end. Whatever was said in that locker room during the first period intermission worked like a charm. They came out firing and ready to rumble in the second and third periods and played their behinds off. :tt03:

I was so hoping Fleury got that goal, but he'll get one eventually! He made some nice saves tonight and I swear Scuds has 6-7 saves on net on his own this season- LOL!

Hey XT - just wanted to let you know that the drunks in front of us behaved tonight. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
10-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Just got home from the game a little while ago. Way to come back and win guys! :drink::applaudit::thumbsup:

I thought they looked a little sluggish in the first period and seemed to have a little trouble getting the puck out of their own end. Whatever was said in that locker room during the first period intermission worked like a charm. They came out firing and ready to rumble in the second and third periods and played their behinds off. :tt03:

I was so hoping Fleury got that goal, but he'll get one eventually! He made some nice saves tonight and I swear Scuds has 6-7 saves on net on his own this season- LOL!

Hey XT - just wanted to let you know that the drunks in front of us behaved tonight. :chuckle:

Yeah, it figures that they would on a night when I'm not there - LOL! Glad you and Angie got to see a good game and a win tonight! I got home right at the start of the 3rd period, which turned out to be the best period. :thumbsup: They looked like the team we all saw during the playoffs - battling hard and getting to every loose puck, great puck support, backchecking, and their transition game was par excellence. When they got that PP and the announcers said it was only their 2nd of the game, based on what I'd seen up to that point, I knew they were going to score, and that once it happened, they were going to be all over the Canes. It looks like things are finally coming together for the team, and at the right time too. If they keep this up, look out!

steelpride12
10-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Pens last season were 0-3-1 against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, and with Cooke back in the line-up lets get some revenge.

Im sure the memory of last seasons playoff series will boost our confidence anyway.

SteelCityMan786
10-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Pens last season were 0-3-1 against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, and with Cooke back in the line-up lets get some revenge.

Im sure the memory of last seasons playoff series will boost our confidence anyway.

In the regular season yes. But they were 1-4-1 overall.

Edman
10-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Penguins strike first with a goal from Darryl Sydor!

1-0 Pens!

Edman
10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Penguins surrender a 2-0 lead and lose in a shootout. Outshot in the Third period 18-2 after outplaying the Rangers for most of the game.

That's two blown games this year in which the Penguins played not to lose and lost.

X-Terminator
10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Just got back home to see that they gave up 44 total shots, including 34 in the 2nd and 3rd periods alone. This has got to stop - Fleury cannot be asked to keep them in every game and he is going to be worn down by the beginning of the new year if this keeps up. That is 4 points now that they have pretty much given away due to their lackluster play in the 3rd period.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Wow it seems like a trend from last season. the Pens cannot hold a lead.
Already twice this season and counted 12 last season when the Pens blew leads, usually in the 3rd period.
Our defense has to man up and get in front of these shots and control the puck in the neutral zone.

Positives, Sydor the veteran looked good last night with a goal, and of course i feel we have the #1 PP in the league that fires on all cylinders.
Fluery played well can't blame him he faced 44 shots and only gave up a goal, thats excellent.
well we got a point out of it, next game Tuesday the 28th against the San Jose Sharks!
GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMan786
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
How do you blow a 2-0 Lead? They can NOT continue to do this.

It's October though folks, If this were the case in March, then I'd panic.

Let's relax folks, we still have time.

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
How do you blow a 2-0 Lead? They can NOT continue to do this.

It's October though folks, If this were the case in March, then I'd panic.

Let's relax folks, we still have time.

True, last season most of their lead give ups were early and they ended around December. My then they will be in their un stoppable mode.

pittsburghp8baller
10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
True, last season most of their lead give ups were early and they ended around December. My then they will be in their un stoppable mode.

true, we always seem to start slowly then pick things up around late december to january and get really hot.

2 points would of been great but as long as we are still picking up a point here and there and stay in it we will be fine. think of it this way for now, we have only failed to come out of a game without a point twice all season.

we def cant continue to give up leads like this in the third. being out shot 18-2 in the third is unacceptable

steelpride12
10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
true, we always seem to start slowly then pick things up around late december to january and get really hot.

2 points would of been great but as long as we are still picking up a point here and there and stay in it we will be fine. think of it this way for now, we have only failed to come out of a game without a point twice all season.

we def cant continue to give up leads like this in the third. being out shot 18-2 in the third is unacceptable

Exaclty :drink:. Look around the league. We already are one of the best teams behind NY and San Jose and we could easily only have one loss and 3 extra points.

The Pens look better than last season and when Goch and Whitney come back strong our whole team def. defense will be unstoppable.
So give it until December until we truly break out into the high caliber team we are!
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Penguins Report: Talbot Sidelined Tonight
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=389089

Talbot suffered an undisclosed injury and will miss his first game since a March 12th matchup with the Buffalo Sabres due to a high ankle sprain. The ankle injury forced Talbot to miss 19 games last season, though he made a full recovery.

Forward Matt Cooke will likely be elevated to the third line, with Tyler Kennedy centering the unit. Paul Bissonnette will dress and take Cooke's spot on the fourth line.

> Defenseman Hal Gill returned to practice at Tuesday's morning skate in San Jose after an undisclosed injury forced him to miss the previous two games.

Despite the progress, Gill will miss his third straight game but head coach Michel Therrien said that Gill is getting "closer" to returning to the lineup. The Penguins are handling the injury on a day-by-day basis, so his status for Thursday at Phoenix is unknown.

Gill resumed skating and working on drills on Oct. 24, but Tuesday marked his first team practice since Oct. 20.

> Gill hasn't played in a game in eight days, since Oct. 20 in Boston. That game was also the last appearance by goaltender Dany Sabourin. Sabourin will make his second start of the season on Tuesday night.

In Sabourin’s last start, the 28-year-old netminder made 35 saves in Pittsburgh’s 2-1 shootout victory over the Bruins. Before that game, Sabourin had gone nearly eight months since his last start, a 5-4 win over the Montreal Canadiens on Feb. 21. Despite the long layoff, he made several key saves throughout the game and stopped four Bruins players in the shootout to get the win.

The game against San Jose will be Sabourin's fourth straight road game. Playing in a hostile environment is nothing new to Sabourin. Of his 39 career games played, 27 of them have been on the road. Tuesday night will be No. 28.

In the past two seasons, Sabourin has played in 17 road games, earning a 9-5-0 record with a 2.48 goals against average and .921 save percentage. He also recorded two shutouts in that span, against New Jersey and Montreal.

Sabourin hasn’t started at Mellon Arena since a 4-2 win over Los Angeles on Feb. 9.

> Brooks Orpik registered 41 hits through nine games this season, which is the most in the National Hockey League. At his current pace, Orpik would finish the season with 374 hits.

His physical play has been contagious. The Penguins recorded 213 hits as a team, which ranks fifth in the league.

The Penguins have sacrificed their bodies for the sake of the team as well. Pittsburgh leads the NHL in blocked shots with 160. That’s 22 more than second place Ottawa (138). Despite the blocks, Pittsburgh has given up an average of 33.7 shots per game, fifth most in the league.

> The Penguins signed defenseman Alex Grant to a three-year, entry-level contract. He was a fourth-round pick (118th overall) in the 2007 Draft. Grant currently plays for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. In 195 games he has scored 35 goals and 70 assists for 105 points, while tallying 274 penalty minutes. In nine games this season in St. John, Grant, 19, has three power-play goals and eight assists for 11 points

X-Terminator
10-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I read about this - Paul Bissonnette is going to take his spot. It also means that the lines will be mixed up again, likely with Malkin moving back to the 2nd line, Staal to the 3rd and either Satan or Kennedy moving up to the top line. Is it just me, or is Max getting a little injury-prone? The high ankle sprain aside, he's had a few nicks here and there that have caused him to miss games.

pittsburghp8baller
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I read about this - Paul Bissonnette is going to take his spot. It also means that the lines will be mixed up again, likely with Malkin moving back to the 2nd line, Staal to the 3rd and either Satan or Kennedy moving up to the top line. Is it just me, or is Max getting a little injury-prone? The high ankle sprain aside, he's had a few nicks here and there that have caused him to miss games.

i guess its probably jus the style of play, which i guess is good and bad every1 loves his intensity but it cost him a lot of games due to injury. though i guess there werent really specific on wat the exact reason of him missing the game it could very well be personal.

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Ya tough to see a grinder like Talbot out of the lineup tonight, as well as Gill.
I'm not worried about the lineup changes, Therrien last season made plenty of them and all to our success. Wish i knew what either injury is as both are listed an undisclosed.

Pens have a bad record against San Jose so lets hope to turn it around, but wow at 10:30 is late, but im ready.

Petr Sykora has an amazing stat history against the Sharks so ill be watching him to make some key plays in this game.
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
10-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Lineup for tonight:

Dupuis-Crosby-Malkin
Fedotenko-Staal-Sykora
Satan-Kennedy-Cooke
Bissonnette-Zigomanis-Godard

Orpik-Letang
Scuderi-Eaton
Sydor-Goligoski

Sabourin in goal

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow Sharks up 1-0 in second, this game truly shows how much we Miss Gonchar and Whitney as the Sharks are getting shots left and right and the Pens just look out of sync right now.

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Dany has truly done an excellent job in the net tonight stopping 24 out of 25 shots going into the third period. It has been a non stop shooting gallery for the Sharks, but with great saves Dany is keeping us in this game trailing by only one.

Shots 25 to 8 in Sharks favor not a great number, but Pens had few opportunities in the second, but the defense needs to start blocking shots and stepping up because there are just too many shots right now and the Pens need to capitalize soon on the great goal tending.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 11:51 PM
GOALLL!!
Fedotenko(2), Makes up for his penalty on the PP with a goal with 5:33 remaining.

steelpride12
10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Pens fall to the Sharks final score of 2-1, in a lop sided shot game.
The Sharks had around 30 shots to the Pens 10 as Dany Sabouron played lights out and kept the Pens in the game as long as he could. Not much life from the Pens tonight with Max Talbot, and the defense from the Sharks using what the Red wings did against the Pens in the Playoffs clogging the neutral zone again proved fatal for the Pens.

A late rally obviously to late for the Pens, and this game was a shout out to the team about how much they truly need their top leaders on defense in Gonchar and Whitney, but the Pens look to turn everything around Thursday at 10:00PM EST against the Phoenix Coyotes!
GO PENS!!!

X-Terminator
10-29-2008, 12:06 AM
God, it's been SO damn frustrating watching this team play. They've been horrible defensively, they're not scoring, they're being being badly outshot, taking penalties at the worst possible time (Fedotenko and Cooke tonight), their lines are all screwed up due to Therrien's constant juggling, their PP looks like a pee-wee team at times, giving up shorthanded goals (totally careless puck handling on that one), blowing leads in the 3rd period...ugh. If it hasn't been for their goaltending, they'd be in deep shit right now. Bottom line, this team misses Gonchar and Whitney, and Gill being out doesn't help either. They're giving major minutes to a rookie and a 2nd year defenseman, and it's hurting us. Staal and Sykora have been pretty much invisible. Things just don't look real good right now. Hopefully they'll get things turned around starting on Thursday in Phoenix, because honestly, I'm getting a little tired of the inconsistent play and seeing the damn Rangers leading the division.

Fire Haley
10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I can't believe I watched that whole game.

They were sleep-walking, under water, till the final 10 minutes.

No doubt about it, our best players on the ice were Dany Sabourin and the post. (the post played a helluva game - maybe his best ever)

Oh - they kept it close - playing for a tie, while being out-shot 200 to 5....but the passing was horrendous....the dump & chase wasn't working because they lost all the chases - the Sharks were so much faster.

All of Sid's trick plays failed - leading to numerous odd man rushes....could never get out of our own end.

Still, they kept teasing you with a tie, till we finally scored, then Therrien changed back to playing defense again to protect that one goal deficit...and that was that.

steelpride12
10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
God, it's been SO damn frustrating watching this team play. They've been horrible defensively, they're not scoring, they're being being badly outshot, taking penalties at the worst possible time (Fedotenko and Cooke tonight), their lines are all screwed up due to Therrien's constant juggling, their PP looks like a pee-wee team at times, giving up shorthanded goals (totally careless puck handling on that one), blowing leads in the 3rd period...ugh. If it hasn't been for their goaltending, they'd be in deep shit right now. Bottom line, this team misses Gonchar and Whitney, and Gill being out doesn't help either. They're giving major minutes to a rookie and a 2nd year defenseman, and it's hurting us. Staal and Sykora have been pretty much invisible. Things just don't look real good right now. Hopefully they'll get things turned around starting on Thursday in Phoenix, because honestly, I'm getting a little tired of the inconsistent play and seeing the damn Rangers leading the division.

Gonch and Whitney meant so much to this team and it proves it now.
Gil and as well Talbot didn't help last night. :banging:

X-Terminator
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Gonch and Whitney meant so much to this team and it proves it now.
Gil and as well Talbot didn't help last night. :banging:

Gill and Talbot won't help tonight either - both are scratched. Also, the lines have been changed again - Crosby and Malkin have been broken up, and Staal has been demoted to the 3rd line:

Fedotenko-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Malkin-Sykora
Kennedy-Staal-Satan

Orpik-Letang
Scuderi-Eaton
Sydor-Goligoski

Fleury back in goal tonight

-- Why in the hell is Cooke on the 2nd line? He doesn't have good hands or a good shot at all. OK, he hits a lot and then turtles whenever he's challenged to back them up - that's about it. Put Kennedy on that line and demote him to the 3rd line where he belongs.

-- Satan needs to be on one of the top 2 lines. He's being completely wasted on the 3rd line.

-- Sykora and Staal need to get their shit together and start scoring some goals.

-- Shooting the puck better be #1 on the agenda tonight. 11 shots in an entire game and 17 in the last 85 minutes is not only ridiculous, it's unacceptable. Sid and Geno in particular need to take this to heart - too many times Tuesday night, they passed up shots in order to try to make SportsCenter with a pretty passing play, and ended up turning it over. I know they're both unselfish players, but sometimes you have to be a little selfish. Just get it to the net. That's all.

-- I want to see better puck support by the forwards, and better attempts at clearing the puck out of the defensive zone by the D. These are 2 big reasons why the ice seems tilted toward the Pens' end and they're giving up shot after shot after shot. The D is one of the weakest I've seen at clearing the puck out - they refuse to use the glass or taking the safe play to get it out. And too often the forwards are cheating ahead looking for a breakout pass that never comes, instead of staying back and helping out along the wall or in the slot. Crosby and especially Malkin have been most guilty of this, which once again has lead to turnovers and the puck staying in the Pens' end. Think back to the Carolina game and how good their transition game was - most of it came because the forwards weren't cheating, they were getting themselves in good defensive position to make plays and turned them into offense. That's what they need to do.

-- In perusing the hockey message board I'm on, I came across this:

There’s an interesting discussion taking place on the message board of LetsGoPens.com regarding an alleged “blockbuster” trade between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Atlanta Thrashers.

According to the discussion thread’s originator, a member by the name of “cojac,” former Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Jay Feaster was on NHL Live today and mentioned that GMs Ray Shero (Pit) and Don Waddell (Atl) are in the midst of trade discussions, though he declined to mention which players might be involved.

Not surprisingly, with the tag “blockbuster” attached to this rumor, the first name discussed was superstar winger Ilya Kovalchuk, who seems destined to be traded from an Atlanta team that has no hope for competing this season — or anytime in the near future, for that matter.

And, of course, the big name thrown around for Pittsburgh has been Jordan Staal, who just today was bumped from the second line to the third line.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburgh-penguins/2225/pensthrashers-blockbuster-in-the-works

Interesting tidbit, and Kovalchuk would obviously be a great fit on Sid's line, but I don't see it happening.

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Gill and Talbot won't help tonight either - both are scratched. Also, the lines have been changed again - Crosby and Malkin have been broken up, and Staal has been demoted to the 3rd line:

Fedotenko-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Malkin-Sykora
Kennedy-Staal-Satan

Orpik-Letang
Scuderi-Eaton
Sydor-Goligoski

Fleury back in goal tonight

-- Why in the hell is Cooke on the 2nd line? He doesn't have good hands or a good shot at all. OK, he hits a lot and then turtles whenever he's challenged to back them up - that's about it. Put Kennedy on that line and demote him to the 3rd line where he belongs.

-- Satan needs to be on one of the top 2 lines. He's being completely wasted on the 3rd line.

-- Sykora and Staal need to get their shit together and start scoring some goals.

-- Shooting the puck better be #1 on the agenda tonight. 11 shots in an entire game and 17 in the last 85 minutes is not only ridiculous, it's unacceptable. Sid and Geno in particular need to take this to heart - too many times Tuesday night, they passed up shots in order to try to make SportsCenter with a pretty passing play, and ended up turning it over. I know they're both unselfish players, but sometimes you have to be a little selfish. Just get it to the net. That's all.

-- I want to see better puck support by the forwards, and better attempts at clearing the puck out of the defensive zone by the D. These are 2 big reasons why the ice seems tilted toward the Pens' end and they're giving up shot after shot after shot. The D is one of the weakest I've seen at clearing the puck out - they refuse to use the glass or taking the safe play to get it out. And too often the forwards are cheating ahead looking for a breakout pass that never comes, instead of staying back and helping out along the wall or in the slot. Crosby and especially Malkin have been most guilty of this, which once again has lead to turnovers and the puck staying in the Pens' end. Think back to the Carolina game and how good their transition game was - most of it came because the forwards weren't cheating, they were getting themselves in good defensive position to make plays and turned them into offense. That's what they need to do.

-- In perusing the hockey message board I'm on, I came across this:

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburgh-penguins/2225/pensthrashers-blockbuster-in-the-works

Interesting tidbit, and Kovalchuk would obviously be a great fit on Sid's line, but I don't see it happening.

GRR! Therrien seriously last season made such smart moves making line changes, but this is pathetic.

Cooke is a scrapper and deserves to be a third or fourth line player and does not have the skill to be on Malkins line. Sykora i bet scores tonight because his success came from the passes from Malkin when he played on his line for a game basis last season.

Staal i don't know what to think about anymore last season he didn't do much and he looks the same this season. He looked pretty good in the playoffs last season, but other than that, what happened.

SHOOT THE PUCK!!! We have such a huge offensive threat our team shoots the pucks 78% in the offensive zone and we get 11 SHOTS!!! Plus our defense just needs to stay strong until Whit and Gonch return or its gonna be a long several months!!!

Fire Haley
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Malkin speaks up...."Save the motherland!" ha ha! (maybe it was lost in translation)

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/30/m...ith-pens-play/

Evgeni Malkin Frustrated with Pens' Play

Quote:
"We need to get out on the ice to play," - Malkin said with self criticism. "And we didn't look ourselves out there. Three shots in a period? This is horrible!"

Don't be so upset, you looked good on the same line with Crosby and Fedotenko...

"And who feels better because of that? After we went down 2:0 our coach starting shuffling all lines, that's how we came up on the same line. We had to start playing more aggressive. But we have nothing to show for it. We have to work throughout the whole game and not save the motherland in the final five minutes. We had no shots on power play! This is awful!"

But Nabokov was very good.

"I do agree with that. Zhenya is one of the best goaltenders in the league and it is always very difficult to score one against him."

What is happening to Pittsburgh? You didn't start the season well, but then picked up some wins.

"Nevertheless, we lost the last two games. That's why I think that not everything is alright with the team. We were winning because we played teams weaker than us. But to compare with the league favorites we are considerably behind: we lost to the Rangers and the Sharks. We have enough problems. The only excuse we have is that we have a lot of injured players. But we have to play well even without them. We haven't changed anything in the way we play that took us last summer to the Stanley Cup Finals. That means we have to keep working and get some stability at last."

-----------------------------------------------

Therrien knows his team is in trouble - the plain fact is the Pens are not the same caliber team with Gonchar and Whitney out.

72 more games to get it together

X-Terminator
10-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Some final notes before game time...

-- Both Hal Gill and Max Talbot will be back in the lineup tonight. Pascal Dupuis will be out due to an injury in practice yesterday. Tyler Kennedy will take his spot on the top line with Crosby and Tank (Fedotenko).

-- Chris Minard has been recalled from WBS, and will skate on the 3rd line with Staal and Satan. Minard has been tearing up the AHL with 13 points in 7 games.

Tonight's updated lines are:

Tank-Crosby-Kennedy
Talbot-Malkin-Sykora
Minard-Staal-Satan
Cooke-Ziggy-Godard

Orpik-Scuderi
Gill-Letang
Eaton-Goligoski

Fleury

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
10-30-2008, 06:31 PM

-- Both Hal Gill and Max Talbot will be back in the lineup tonight. Pascal Dupuis will be out due to an injury in practice yesterday. Tyler Kennedy will take his spot on the top line with Crosby and Tank (Fedotenko).

-- Chris Minard has been recalled from WBS, and will skate on the 3rd line with Staal and Satan. Minard has been tearing up the AHL with 13 points in 7 games.

Tank-Crosby-Kennedy
Talbot-Malkin-Sykora
Minard-Staal-Satan
Cooke-Ziggy-Godard

Orpik-Scuderi
Gill-Letang
Eaton-Goligoski

Fleury

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!

i read an article about how good Minard was doing and figured it was only a matter of time he got called up, but they said in the article that he may be the guy who could play with Sid and Geno on the same line

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Tank-Crosby-Kennedy
Talbot-Malkin-Sykora
Minard-Staal-Satan
Cooke-Ziggy-Godard

Orpik-Scuderi
Gill-Letang
Eaton-Goligoski

Fleury

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!

Wow i just checked the site saying Gill and Talbot out, but hey that's great new. Talbot gives us that spark and jump of offense, and he always makes a big play at the most opportune time. Gill gets a lot from the fans, but he is a huge defensive and at times he plays amazing defense and its great to see him back.

Dupuis out with some undisclosed which stinks lets hope it's short term so we can start getting this team healthy and hopefully get Whitney back in about a month- month in a half and start getting the Pens to score in all cylinders!

Looking for a nice win tonight the Pens are all upset about the poor play against San Jose, and i think will come out strong skate hard through the neutral zone, SHOOT THE PUCK, and play better D!
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
End of the first score 0-0.
Once again another sad period for the struggling Pens. The Pens didn't generate one shot until the end of the period, and they were SHORT HANDED killing the Coyotes PP, which the 5th ranked Penalty kill looked good.

All the lines seem out of sync, bad passes, and no communication in the nuetral zone so turnovers occurred. Fluery played well and the game could easily be 1-0 Phoenix which had 12 shots on goal and a large chunk of punk possession. Pens offense have to generate ANYTHING in the second period, just get shots and make opportunities!
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Coyotes up 1-0 Jokinen goal He is a Pens killer.
Stupid penalties, unable to clear the puck gives Phoenix the lead as an even strength with the PP seconds ticking down.

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
GOOOAALLL!!!
Satan his 5th of the season in the opening seconds off the PP, with a Shot from Goligoski from the point bounces off the boards in front of the net and like a diving baseball hit smacks it in the goal!

Pens offense stepping it up in the second period creating opportunities off turnovers and playing a really good neutral zone stunt and looking like the old Pens. As well Malkin and Crosby shooting well.

steelpride12
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
End of the Second period Coyotes lead 2-1.
Pens exploded in the second period getting 18 shots alone in the second and creating plays from every opportunity and getting the defense active, but with one penalty to Staal and and weird shot from Gill the puck trickles in front of fluery for an easy Phoenix goal.
Should be an interesting third period with both teams playing well and both even and 20 shots a piece.

Fire Haley
10-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Pens get outplayed, outhustled, outhit and blunder their way through another horrible comedy of errors.

4-1 the Mighty Coyotes.

Sid hurt - in street clothes mid-way through the 3rd. Looked like he got punched in the nuts to me.

"undisclosed injury" - "Game over man, game over! We're all gonna die man! Game over!"

the_king_from_leon
10-31-2008, 05:54 AM
What is happening with the Pengs at the moment, 3 games in a row! and loosing Crosby isnt going to help.

Still looking forward to trying to get a ticket for the Wild game and seeing them in action!

X-Terminator
10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Right now folks, I have no comment other than let's move on to St. Louis.

pittsburghp8baller
10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Right now folks, I have no comment other than let's move on to St. Louis.

sometimes thats all you can say

pittsburghp8baller
11-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Pens to trade for other Thrasher Superstar?

Thrashers receiving interest in Kovalchuk
http://thefourthperiod.com/news/atl081101.html

As if things couldn't get any worse for Atlanta Thrashers fans, trade winds are beginning to swirl around superstar Ilya Kovalchuk.
According to Russian newspaper Sport-Express, Kovalchuk would welcome a change of scenery.

The 25-year-old star has two-years remaining on his current contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2009-10 season. The Thrashers cannot start negotiation an extension with Kovalchuk until July 1, 2009.

"The start of the season could have been better," Kovalchuk told the paper. "Though it is better than in the previous year. Our prospects are not that bad that many people think."

Kovalchuk acknowledged his disappointment with the lack of in-game fan support, but fell short of saying he's unhappy playing in Atlanta. He did, however, point out an area the team needs to improve upon.

"Atlanta lacks stability to win often," he said. "One game we play well, another only start well. We must play on the same high level for all 60 minutes."

Sport-Express reports the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs held talks with Thrashers GM Don Waddell about Kovalchuk during last week's GM meetings in Chicago.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have also reportedly expressed an interest in Kovalchuk.

From the Editor: I can't see any good reason as to why the Thrashers would consider trading Kovalchuk at this stage of the game. He has another year on his contract. He hasn't demanded to be traded [not like that matters all too much anyway]. I don't really understand all the rumors surrounding him, other than he's a shining star that would receive a heck of a lot more attention playing in a different market. Kovalchuk did say that he hasn't been told by management of any impending deal. And for good reason. Don Waddell may be receiving offers and entertaining phone calls, I don't see him pulling the trigger on a Kovalchuk trade this season. I could be wrong. Waddell could receive an offer that completely blows him away [perhaps Vancouver offers the Sedin twins and more for him?]. But for the time being, I don't see a deal going down. -- David Pagnotta

There is more of a chance we get Gabby before we trade to get Kovy (so its really like 0.09% chance) but hey, thats what we said about hossa

its been quiet the last few days so i gave something every1 could shout out on?

X-Terminator
11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I've actually read this rumor on another site, and just as I said over there, I have a better chance of having a one-night stand with my favorite porn star than seeing Kovalchuk put on a Penguins uniform. It simply will not happen. Gaborik has a better chance of coming here, but I don't see that happening either. After what Hossa did last season, I'd rather not see the Pens take a chance on another player like that and have him screw them in the end, thanks.

pittsburghp8baller
11-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I've actually read this rumor on another site, and just as I said over there, I have a better chance of having a one-night stand with my favorite porn star than seeing Kovalchuk put on a Penguins uniform. It simply will not happen. Gaborik has a better chance of coming here, but I don't see that happening either. After what Hossa did last season, I'd rather not see the Pens take a chance on another player like that and have him screw them in the end, thanks.

true, i have almost no expectations of this actually happening, and if it does, my jaw may drop lower than any1 elses. The one plus i could see is that we would be guaranteed to have kovalchuk for at least one extra season as he is signed through next year so it wouldnt be exactly like Hossa, more of Hoss +1 year.

SteelCityMan786
11-01-2008, 11:49 AM

I like to refer to Hossa as Judas. :sofunny:

pittsburghp8baller
11-01-2008, 11:52 AM
like i said in a previous post, not much talk going on in here and since this is my second day off in a row (im going a little crazy) im just reading up on as much pens stuff as i can. this could go along with the kovalchuk discussion jus along the lines that we would probably have to give some of these guys up, its our position by position report as of last week

Penguins 2008 system audit
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10635/penguins2008_system_audit/

New general managers are typically faced with the task of rebuilding moribund farm systems and injecting fresh and young talent into an organization. But GM Ray Shero’s job was instead to turn an already existing group of talented young players into a championship caliber team.

Shero’s predecessor, Craig Patrick, laid a solid foundation, drafting 15 of 41 players in the first three rounds. Many of those draft picks including Kris Letang, Daniel Carcillo, and Erik Christensen, are already NHL regulars. The majority are still prospects though.

The 2006 draft was already organized by the outgoing Penguins staff so Shero’s drafting and team-building philosophy does not really come through until the 2007 and 2008 drafts. Six of the Penguins 12 picks in those latter two drafts were forwards who have a history of scoring goals and versatility at the forward position.

An underrated aspect of the Penguins system has to be their ability to acquire young, undrafted talent. Last year they acquired Dartmouth standout Ben Lovejoy and traded for Hobey Baker candidate John Curry and this year undrafted Cape Breton Screaming Eagles winger Joey Haddad was signed to an entry-level contract before being sent back to juniors. Both Curry and Lovejoy were major contributors to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s run to the Calder Cup Finals.

Left Wing

Considering Luca Caputi is the only left wing prospect with the potential to be a regular scoring threat in the NHL, the Penguins are decidedly sparse at left wing. However, with a majority of other forwards able to play on left wing, the dearth at position can be misleading.

The 2007-08 season saw Caputi explode offensively, scoring over 51 goals and finishing fourth in OHL scoring, between wunderkinds Steven Stamkos and John Tavares. The Toronto native was rewarded with an entry-level contract last spring and joined the Penguins AHL affiliate for a run to the Calder Cup Finals. The beginning of his 2008-09 season started with dissapointment as the dynamic winger sustained a hip injury during the Penguins prospect tournament in Kitchener. Unable to make the most of his opportunities in NHL training camp due to the injury, he got assigned to the AHL in the first wave of cuts.

Ryan Stone, a player who was vocal about his displeasure of not making the NHL roster is among those on the short list to get called up because of injuries or roster shakeups. Stone comes from a rich tradition of agitating forwards who cut their teeth in the AHL, the likes of whom include current Penguins Tyler Kennedy and Max Talbot as well as former Penguins Colby Armstrong and Daniel Carcillo.

Paul Bissonnette, a defenseman converted to left wing, recently made the jump to the NHL. A niche player, Bissonnette brings sandpaper and a willingness to sacrifice the body, two qualities the Penguins can not have enough of on their star-studded NHL roster. His versatility at position also allows him to offer emergency defensive services to a team amid a road trip.

Joey Haddad, an undrafted free agent from Cape Breton of the QMJHL could turn out to be coup for the Penguins. A power forward in juniors, Haddad has soft hands and possesses some scoring potential. Generally relegated to third or fourth line duty while playing for Prince Edward Island, the 20-year-old exploded offensively after a trade to Cape Breton. Haddad is in the classic mold of a power forward, posting 31 goals and 31 assists last season to go along with 104 penalty minutes. Invited on a tryout basis, Haddad joined the Penguins prospects for the Kitchener tournament and was subsequently invited to Penguins NHL and AHL training camps before being signed to an NHL contract. Sent back to his junior team for now, the Nova Scotia native expects to join the Penguins AHL affiliate in the spring. The 6’2, 196-pound forward will become a familiar name by next offseason.

Center

The Penguins are unbelievably deep at center at the NHL level all the way through the junior ranks. With Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in Pittsburgh at least through 2015, the Penguins need at center differs from most teams. While they have a glut of scoring centers, including Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Dustin Jeffrey, Keven Veilleux, Joe Vitale, and Nathan Moon, the hope is that at least a few of these players can make a successful transition to wing and compliment one of the Penguins talented playmaking centers already in the NHL.

An integral part of the Penguins run to the Stanley Cup Finals were the contributions they received from checking line forwards. Players like former defenseman Jordan Morrison, Brian Gifford, and Mark Letestu can fill certain roles on the third or fourth line but a dearth of checking centers should be a concern of the organization.

Among the skilled centers closest to the NHL is Jeffrey. A forward who saw a lot of time on wing during training camp, Jeffrey is current listed as a center for WBS. His style of play though is reminiscent of Tyler Kennedy and when he is ready, can bring a similar tenacious style of play. This versatility at forward is one of the organizational strengths and a near universal characteristic of the forwards Shero has drafted.

Keven Veilleux was another forward who was signed to an entry-level contract in the spring, but had a mixed training camp. He is currently playing for Rimouski Oceanic and on pace to shatter previous career highs in goals and assists. Veilleux, like Jeffrey, Pierro-Zabotel, and Kennedy, is also a center by trade but is comfortable playing both wing positions. A right-handed shot and over 6’4, Veilleux brings several highly prized assets to the Penguins organization. The towering forward is not without his flaws; at various Penguins functions he has often seemed lackadaisical, playing reactively, and often a step behind the play. Still 19, his fresh start in Rimouski is paying early dividends. If Veilleux can manage to maintain a consistently high level of play, then the hulking forward with crisp passing and scoring ability will be an integral part of the Penguins future.

A power forward who models himself after Tomas Holmstrom, Casey Pierro-Zabotel is among the listed centers with the most goal-scoring capability. A bit of a late bloomer, Pierro-Zabotel is a tall, muscular forward who at 6’2 and 210, is able to make his presence known in the slot and crease. The Vancouver native’s main knock last season was that he was often knocked off the puck and was not as strong a skater as he should be. After an off-season spent lifting weights and working on his skating he is now among the most dominant forces in the WHL.

Nathan Moon, an offensive dynamo currently playing for the Kingston Frontanacs of the OHL, is an undersized forward who is an adventure at both ends of the ice. Drafted in the fourth round, Moon may have gone earlier if he had not finished his season a team worst -25, on a team that won only 25 of their 68 games. He finished last season with 35 goals, among the top-20 in the OHL, and is a right-handed shot who can play on wing. A universal sentiment about the Belleville native is that he is a complimentary player, someone who is most effective playing alongside a defensively responsible playmaker.

Joe Vitale is another versatile, talented scoring center although unlike the aforementioned players, was drafted by Patrick. The captain of Northeastern University, Vitale had a breakout year in 2007-08, posting 35 points in 37 games, more than he produced in his first two full years as a Husky. At 5’11, Vitale is not big by traditional standards. He is, however, over 200 lbs and skates with a wide stance, making him difficult to move off the puck. Vitale could fill a variety of roles for the Penguins, as a third line forward with some scoring touch, a chaotic presence around the net during the power play, and as the captain of his college team, a calming presence in the locker room. His right-handedness gives him additional appeal to an organization with few right-handed players with scoring potential.

continued on the next post

pittsburghp8baller
11-01-2008, 11:53 AM
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10635/penguins2008_system_audit/

Right Wing

Nick Johnson and Tim Crowder headline a group of forwards with a scoring history who are comfortable playing on right wing. Johnson, a point-per-game player at Dartmouth and college teammate of Penguins prospects Ben Lovejoy, is considered a hard-working forward with a scoring touch. Known as a solid locker room presence and a player who works his hardest every shift, Johnson can fill any role asked of him. Currently playing for Wheeling of the ECHL, Johnson has to work on his strength and adapt to a rigorous and long professional schedule.

Crowder, an assistant captain for the Michigan State University Spartans, is another player with promise. Scoring 19 of his 46 goals on the man advantage, the right-handed shot gets his best work done in front of the net, especially on the power play. Crowder is still relatively lean at 6’3 and 195 lbs, but has been able to endure the punishment of a full season of NCAA hockey. But like Pierro-Zabotel, Crowder needs to thicken his upper body to endure the around-the-net punishment that he will regularly endure to be successful at the professional level.

An undrafted free agent, Tim Wallace has raised eyebrows with his physical and tenacious play in 2007-08. The Alaska native is a physical and athletic winger currently playing in the AHL. A former 153-game iron man for Notre Dame, Wallace signed after college by the Penguins AHL affiliate and split his first season in between the AHL and ECHL. After paying his dues, he was rewarded with a two-year entry-level contract in 2007 and has stuck with the AHL team since. Wallace fills a similar role that Gary Roberts did for the Penguins, finishing every body check, occasionally dropping the mitts, and chipping in offensively. He has decent north-south speed but will never be more than a fringe player in the NHL.

Although he took a step back in 2007-08, posting 10 goals after scoring 30 the year prior, Jon Filewich was given a vote of confidence by the Penguins and inked a two-year deal. Once considered a promising goal-scoring prospect, something happened that threw a wrench into Filewich’s development. The right-handed winger still plays a strong two-way game but is neither physical nor nasty enough to compensate for such a radical dip in scoring. If his 2007-08 outing was in fact an aberration, Filewich fits an urgent need for the Penguins roster. However, if Filewich’s scoring ability does not return, he will have to diversify his game to play in the NHL.

Michael Gergen, a senior at the University of Minnesota Duluth is a prospect who has not developed as expected. The two-way forward was initially drafted because his lightning quick feet and soft hands. Not the offensive dynamo at the NCAA level that he was in the USHL, Gergen still plays a complete two-way game and shows a willingness to get his hands dirty along the boards. The 5’11 forward could fill a similar role that current Penguin Pascal Dupuis provides: playing smart two-way hockey, engaging in physical play along the boards, and occasionally chipping in offensively.

Defense

With five potential unrestricted free agents in the next two years, The Penguins’ defense will look remarkably different in 2010-11. Shero’s philosophy towards surrounding his star nucleus with talented complimentary players is evident in how the organization has drafted along the blueline.

Among the Penguins defensive prospects, only Alex Goligoski is a guaranteed top-pairing talent. The Grand Rapids native was forced into duty because of injuries to Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney. Often playing over 20 minutes a game, Goligoski has not looked out of place in the NHL. He quarterbacks the Penguins power play and sometimes plays the point alongside Evgeni Malkin. The 23-year-old has played so effectively in the NHL that in order to make sure he gets enough ice time, the Penguins may be forced to make a trade in February, when Whitney and Gonchar are expected to return for duty.

Behind Goligoski is Alex Grant, an immensely gifted defenseman playing in the QMJHL. Only 19, the talented Nova Scotian is already in his fourth year of junior. Despite a concussion sustained before the season started, Grant has been utterly dominant offensively and was named the QMJHL player of the week after playing two games in which he posted three points, was a +3, threw five body checks, and played on the top penalty-killing unit that went 17 for 17. The fact that the Saint John Sea Dogs won the games which Grant dominated demonstrates his influence on the outcome of a game. With Alex Goligoski, Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Whitney, and Kris Letang all under contract for at least the next two years, it is unlikely that Grant will be making an NHL appearance anytime soon. If his offensive talents translate to the professional ranks, his puck-moving ability and right-handedness could be yet another piece in an already formidable stable of offensively gifted defensemen.

Carl Sneep and Brian Strait are the next defensemen to join Brooks Orpik, Ryan Whitney, Rob Scuderi, as Hockey East alumni after college. Strait has been favorably compared to Scuderi, but skater with better closing speed and more physical around the net. The Boston native will not leave the audience in awe with deft puck handling but he is quick with his judgment and is rarely a liability on the ice. He has a solid outlet pass and a good first step. Strait can fit any number of roles for the Penguins. He can serve as defensive partner for one of their talented offensive defensemen or alongside a player like Brooks Orpik in a shutdown capacity. The thick blueliner also plays the PK and is deployed when Boston University is preserving a lead.

Sneep is another big, mobile, athletic defender taken in the 2006 draft. At 6’4 and 210lbs, the Minnesota native’s body still has room to fill out. The right-handed shot was an offensive defenseman by trade but has evolved his game to a more two-way style during his time at Boston College. His puck distribution skills are raw but is a deft puck handler with a hard point shot. Like Strait and Grant, Sneep is looked to his team for on-ice leadership and willingly sacrifices his body for the better of the team. Also like Strait, Sneep can fill a variety of roles for the Penguins, playing on both special teams and as second pairing defenseman.

Robert Bortuzzo, a physical defenseman taken 78th overall in 2007, sustained a shoulder injury and will be sidelined for the beginning of his 2008-09 campaign. Standing at 6’4 and already over 200lbs at the age of 19, Bortuzzo could fill a valuable role as a shutdown guy, getting matched up with opponents top forwards, or as a defensive specialist, similar to Hal Gill.

The most physical of the Penguins defensive prospects, Jake Muzzin, a 225 lbs Brantford native brings a nasty demeanor to the ice, intimidating opponents physically and dropping the gloves if need be. Muzzin however, is not a one-dimensional player; he has a strong point shot and one-timer, above average lateral movement, and is an effective penalty killer. While his physicality is clearly the main attraction, his diverse skills and mental toughness make him able to fit a variety of roles.

Goaltending

Going into the 2008 draft, the Penguins identified their main weakness as a lack of goaltending prospects. So with their second pick, 150th overall, they drafted Alexander Pechurski, an athletic goaltender from Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

With the Penguins next pick in the sixth round, Patrick Killeen was selected. A platoon starter with the Brampton Battalion, Killeen, at 6’4 203 lbs, is one of the largest Penguins prospects at any position. He follows the play fairly well but is still clumsy at times handling the puck. The Ontario native, while athletic for a goaltender his size, relies too much on his ability to take up space in the net rather than proper positioning.

Neither prospect is expected to contribute to the Penguins anytime soon. However, with John Curry already a shoo-in to be an NHL backup in 2009-10, and David Brown to take Curry’s old job, there will be opportunities between the pipes over the next few seasons.

With Marc-Andre Fleury locked up for many years to come, finding a goaltender of the future is of little concern for the organization. The Penguins do have depth at goaltender if something was to befall their star goaltender. John Curry, an undrafted free agent who the Penguins acquired via trade early last season, is currently the top goaltending prospect. David Brown, a standout at Notre Dame, while still considered a project, also shows promise as a starting goaltender

Fire Haley
11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Jibber jabber

There's a game tonight....and...Blues are missing their top 2 netminders

....and...

Sid is playing.... and .....

the Pesonen call-up is official...

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=389867

X-Terminator
11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Don't sweat Chris Mason - he's certainly capable of turning in a strong performance. But anyway, it's good that Sid is playing, but apparently Tank will be scratched tonight - don't know if it's an injury or if he's a HS. Pesonen likely takes his spot on the 1st or 2nd line. And hopefully, MT gets his head out of his ass and puts his leading goal scorer on one of the top 2 lines where he belongs.

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Last game was horrible agreed, but time to move on to St. Louis and great news that Crosby will play tonight. My line up says Tank will play, but Talbot again will be out tonight, guess last game was too much for him.

I don't see the Pens having an amazing trades this season, sure we will pick up grinders and hitters, but for big goal scorers and someone to play along the speed and talent of Crosby i don't see happening.

Pens@St. Louis 8:30PM EST! GO PENS!!!

Fire Haley
11-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't see the Pens having an amazing trades this season

Pens are down to $588,000 in cap space last time I looked - so unless we dump some big contracts in a blockbuster type deal - I doubt we'll see much at all.

X-Terminator
11-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Last game was horrible agreed, but time to move on to St. Louis and great news that Crosby will play tonight. My line up says Tank will play, but Talbot again will be out tonight, guess last game was too much for him.

I don't see the Pens having an amazing trades this season, sure we will pick up grinders and hitters, but for big goal scorers and someone to play along the speed and talent of Crosby i don't see happening.

Pens@St. Louis 8:30PM EST! GO PENS!!!

I'm reading that Tank is out due to a groin injury, Sydor is back in the lineup tonight, Eaton will be a HS and Dupuis has been placed on IR, clearing the way for Pesonen to play tonight.

EDIT: Confirmation on this from the Pens' website:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=389874

Penguins Report: Crosby to Play Against St. Louis
Sam Kasan
Nov 1, 2008, 12:56 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby will play against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday night despite suffering an undisclosed injury two days ago.

Crosby left Pittsburgh's matchup on Thursday against the Phoenix Coyotes after two shifts in the third period when he felt "discomfort." He did not return in that game and was listed as day-to-day.

Crosby had a chance to rest on Friday because the Penguins did not practice.

> Ruslan Fedotenko skated off the ice in the middle of the Penguins morning skate with an undisclosed injury. He will be scratched for Saturday night's game and has been listed as day-to-day.

> Pascal Dupuis was placed on the injured-reserve list with an undisclosed injury. Dupuis' IR status will be retroactive to Oct. 28 against San Jose.

> With the extra roster spot the Penguins recalled forward Janne Pesonen, who has nine points (2G-7A) in nine games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

Pesonen will make his NHL debut Saturday night against St. Louis. He will be on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora.

The Malkin line is the only confirmed line combination. With Fedotenko's injury and Crosby's late green light, head coach Michel Therrien juggled his combinations in practice.

> Darryl Sydor will be in the lineup for the Penguins defense. Mark Eaton will miss his first game of the season as a healthy scratch. The defensive pairings in practice were: Brooks Orpik-Kris Letang; Hal Gill-Rob Scuderi; Darryl Sydor-Alex Goligoski.

> Therrien officially named Scuderi and Gill as the Penguins alternate captains for the month of November. Therrien notified the defensemen at the team's morning skate. He said in the beginning of the season that he will rotate the alternate captaincy each month. Malkin and Orpik were alternate captains for the month of October.

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Wow So we have Whitney out, Gonchar out and now Dupuis for an extended amount of time. Gill having problems as well as Talbot and Tank.
This is the worst time for us to find the injury bug we are struggling all the way around and looking for some way to fix it.

SteelCityMan786
11-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Wow So we have Whitney out, Gonchar out and now Dupuis for an extended amount of time. Gill having problems as well as Talbot and Tank.
This is the worst time for us to find the injury bug we are struggling all the way around and looking for some way to fix it.

It's the usual early season swoon. They'll figure it out.

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 08:29 PM
End of first Pens down 2-1 with a goal from Satan his 6th of the season looking good, but Pens D can't hold.

SteelCityMan786
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
2-2. Goligoski Tied it and Tkachuck had one waived off because of High Stick

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
End of the second as the Pens EXPLODE and finally get the form of the old Pens we new and loved.
Goals from Golgoski(3), Malkin(4), and Kennedy(3) as well.
The Pens made every shot count and Malkin's and Goligoski's shots from about the point just nice shots at the net with traffic and TK poking the puck in from the side.

St. Louis has played pretty dirty tonight and im losing respect for that team. The slash on Letang and Scuderi go un seen in which both were injured for a shift or two and really going at the Pens.

I think IMO we have found Crosby's side man. Call me crazy, but i love Talbot along side the next one. On the one shift he gaves Crosby three assists or opportunities to score sadly all no goals, but he has the speed and energy to truly play with him and i like the energy.

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Jordan Staal i love and is a great 20 year old young sensation with so much to prove and show off, but again this season is not playing well at all. He has shot the puck 3 times tonight and each missed the net and he is just not producing right now and didn't last season. I hope he can wake up and start assisting this team we need him.

Fire Haley
11-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Yep, that's the Pens team I remember. Shoot the dam puck and take the fight to em.

Night and day.

steelpride12
11-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Final Score Pens 6-3
Goals from Talbot(2), and Staal(1)
Now that was a complete and great game for the injured Pens tonight!
We won this game because of the consistent play and pressure from all four lines tonight. Line after line shots after shots and putting pressure on the goalie. Fluery played well as always and the defense scoring and being active is always a plus.
Staal getting the EN goal was easy, but lets hope it springs him into a goal scoring streak. Great way to end the long road trip with two points and no game until Thursdays so we can heal up and be ready for Edmonton.
Great complete game for the Pens!!!
GO PENS!!!

X-Terminator
11-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, lookee here...MT finally decides to put his top goal scorer on the top line, and what happens? He gets 3 points. We've only been begging him to do that for the last 2 weeks! Anyway, a good game last night and a much-needed win. Even when the Pens were down, I felt they were going to win because they were playing so well and with that urgency that everyone had been talking about. I still see problems, such as Brooks Orpik treating the puck like a hand grenade and not being able to hold the puck in to save his life, and they still have some problems with breakout passes, but other than that, it was a solid all-around game.

I really liked the chemistry with Crosby, Satan and Talbot - every time Talbot has played with Sid, he has looked good. We're looking far and wide for another winger for Sid - why not just keep Talbot there? He does everything that Dupuis does, and can finish on top of it. That line has the potential to be pretty good, IF MT keeps them together.

I thought Gogo looked great, and his goal was a thing of beauty. This kid is some kind of talent, even if he is on the small side. He seems to be pretty decent in his own end too - I haven't seen him really get burned or be out of position. The only question is how much PT will he get when Whits and Sarge come back? If he continues to improve, I'd put him in the lineup ahead of either Scuderi or Eaton. Neither one of those guys have been impressive, although Scuds played pretty well last night, and I'd have no problem with one of them eating hors d'ouvres in the the press box.

steelpride12
11-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, lookee here...MT finally decides to put his top goal scorer on the top line, and what happens? He gets 3 points. We've only been begging him to do that for the last 2 weeks! Anyway, a good game last night and a much-needed win. Even when the Pens were down, I felt they were going to win because they were playing so well and with that urgency that everyone had been talking about. I still see problems, such as Brooks Orpik treating the puck like a hand grenade and not being able to hold the puck in to save his life, and they still have some problems with breakout passes, but other than that, it was a solid all-around game.

I really liked the chemistry with Crosby, Satan and Talbot - every time Talbot has played with Sid, he has looked good. We're looking far and wide for another winger for Sid - why not just keep Talbot there? He does everything that Dupuis does, and can finish on top of it. That line has the potential to be pretty good, IF MT keeps them together.

I thought Gogo looked great, and his goal was a thing of beauty. This kid is some kind of talent, even if he is on the small side. He seems to be pretty decent in his own end too - I haven't seen him really get burned or be out of position. The only question is how much PT will he get when Whits and Sarge come back? If he continues to improve, I'd put him in the lineup ahead of either Scuderi or Eaton. Neither one of those guys have been impressive, although Scuds played pretty well last night, and I'd have no problem with one of them eating hors d'ouvres in the the press box.

I honestly think Talbot can play with Crosby's skill, speed and ability to create plays and keeping that line together is a must after that break out performance. Dupuis when he returns can be good on the second line with Malkin's Speed and good shooting ability.

Here is something i have been wondering about, since our defense has looked pretty good and everyone is producing surprisingly Golo as well who is gonna sit on the bench or be reassigned to the minors when Whitney and Gonchar return. They are our two top D men and of course Whit and Gonchar will probably play of the first and second lines. Curious to see.

pittsburghp8baller
11-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Penguins Re-Assign Forwards Chris Minard and Janne Pesonen to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=390078

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-assigned forwards Chris Minard and Janne Pesonen to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Minard, the 6-1, 200-pound forward played two games, posting three shots and three hits during his stint with Pittsburgh. Prior to his recall, the 26-year old led the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with 13 points (seven goals, six assists) in seven games. Minard also tied for the team lead with two game-winning goals and a plus nine rating before joining Pittsburgh.

Pesonen, 26, made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh November 1 against the St. Louis Blues. At the time of his recall, the 5-11, 180-pound forward skated in seven games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, ranking third on the team with nine points (two goals, seven assists) and tying for the club lead with a plus nine rating. Pesonen skated in three preseason games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, registering two points (one goal, one assist).

Minard and Pesonen will join the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins today in Houston for a match-up against the Aeros.

SteelCityMan786
11-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Penguins Re-Assign Forwards Chris Minard and Janne Pesonen to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=390078

Any news if anyone will be activated???

pittsburghp8baller
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Any news if anyone will be activated???

im guessing that means Tank and Dupuis are ready to come off IR, which is the reason we had to call up Minard and Pesonen

steelpride12
11-02-2008, 08:41 PM
im guessing that means Tank and Dupuis are ready to come off IR, which is the reason we had to call up Minard and Pesonen

That would be nice, but i thought when a player is placed on IR they have to wait a minimum 15 days to be reevaluated? Plus i didn't think they put Tank on IR just Dupuis?

pittsburghp8baller
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
That would be nice, but i thought when a player is placed on IR they have to wait a minimum 15 days to be reevaluated? Plus i didn't think they put Tank on IR just Dupuis?

yes, but their is a way to 'retroactive' the IR placement. basically they can say, he was hurt since a certain day (i think he would have had to missed a game as proof) and that would be the day that he would have been put on IR. something along the lines of that, i know what it means jus cant really explain it somebody else may be able to explain it better

X-Terminator
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
yes, but their is a way to 'retroactive' the IR placement. basically they can say, he was hurt since a certain day (i think he would have had to missed a game as proof) and that would be the day that he would have been put on IR. something along the lines of that, i know what it means jus cant really explain it somebody else may be able to explain it better

That is how it works - Dupuis is on IR retroactive to October 28, which is the day he was injured, even though he was officially placed on IR on Thursday. He won't be re-evaluated until November 12 at the earliest, at which case he would be eligible to begin a rehab assignment, but he would have to remain on IR for no less than 24 days.

steelpride12
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I got snatched 2 tickets off Stub Hub to Thursdays game against the Oilers for 28.00 Dollars a Piece! They are Section E Row A which is not the best, but not bad im excited me and the dad are going.

The key on stub hub is to get the tickets 2-3 days before the actual game. These tickets were 65.00$ a piece before today. Im Excited!

X-Terminator
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I got snatched 2 tickets off Stub Hub to Thursdays game against the Oilers for 28.00 Dollars a Piece! They are Section E Row A which is not the best, but not bad im excited me and the dad are going.

The key on stub hub is to get the tickets 2-3 days before the actual game. These tickets were 65.00$ a piece before today. Im Excited!

Awesome! I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference. BTW, E level seats from rows A-E are among the best seats in the house, particularly if you are on either side of the goal. You can even see the ice directly below you from there. I think you'll like them!

steelpride12
11-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Awesome! I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference. BTW, E level seats from rows A-E are among the best seats in the house, particularly if you are on either side of the goal. You can even see the ice directly below you from there. I think you'll like them!

Im used to C section seats from the sides, never sat on the side of a goal looking at the Goalies back. Yes its in Row C in section 32 and the seats don't look bad at all.
Cant wait to go! :thumbsup:
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
BTW - I was wrong about the IR thing above - the retroactive part is correct, but the length of time a player has to be on IR is not correct, because apparently Dupuis is set to come off IR tomorrow and play against Edmonton. He was on the 2nd line with Malkin and Sykora in practice yesterday.

steelpride12
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
BTW - I was wrong about the IR thing above - the retroactive part is correct, but the length of time a player has to be on IR is not correct, because apparently Dupuis is set to come off IR tomorrow and play against Edmonton. He was on the 2nd line with Malkin and Sykora in practice yesterday.

I read about that on the Pens internet site, but they said Tank might still not be reasy to play.

pittsburghp8baller
11-06-2008, 08:04 PM
oh please oh please not another 3rd period let down!!!

i mean were up 5-0!!!

now all of a sudden 5-3 and Edmonton has ALL the momentum

pittsburghp8baller
11-06-2008, 08:18 PM
5-4 after a Sheldon Souray Shorty, after we keep the puck in for jus bout an entire 2:00 5 on 3. a combo of a player coming out the box at the right time and the Pens being out their for way too long

X-Terminator
11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I got home not too long ago and missed the game (though I did DVR it). Am I reading correctly that the Pens almost blew a FIVE GOAL LEAD??? What in the blue hell is up with this team when they get a lead??? It's like they say "OK boys, we're up 5-0...let's take the rest of the night off." :doh:

I'll certainly take the win, but this HAS to be fixed and damn soon. It's getting ridiculous.

pittsburghp8baller
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I got home not too long ago and missed the game (though I did DVR it). Am I reading correctly that the Pens almost blew a FIVE GOAL LEAD??? What in the blue hell is up with this team when they get a lead??? It's like they say "OK boys, we're up 5-0...let's take the rest of the night off." :doh:

I'll certainly take the win, but this HAS to be fixed and damn soon. It's getting ridiculous.

jus bout right

right around the 2:00 minute left mark in the second u could see the momentum switching to the Oilers. some of them Fleury could/should of stopped but again defense went to sleep after jumping up 5-0.

Win is a Win but like you said something has got to be done

Fire Haley
11-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, wasn't that special.

Good entertainment.....kept me interested to the final stop by Fleury with 1 sec left

pittsburghp8baller
11-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Malkin-Ovechkin feud festering
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_597246.html?source=rss&feed=8

New event to spice up the tired old NHL All-Star Skills competition: Russian Roulette, featuring Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin.

It wouldn't be complicated. Malkin would stand by the end boards. Ovechkin would race at him 100 mph and try to put him through the glass.

You know, just like in the real games

This has to be the most bizarre ongoing feud in sports. Every time the Penguins play the Washington Capitals, Ovechkin loses his mind. He locks in on Malkin about a half-dozen times and pretty much tries to break him in-half. It happened again in the teams' first meeting this season, Oct. 16 at Mellon Arena.

It's compelling stuff, for sure. It's also flat-out weird.

These two make Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant look like best friends.

None of the veteran hockey observers I've spoken with can remember seeing one superstar forward stalk another in such reckless fashion, with such obvious venom.

Weirder still: Nobody seems to know why it's happening.

One theory has it that something went awry in August of 2007 at a Moscow nightclub, where Ovechkin allegedly punched out Malkin's Russian agent, Gennady Ushakov.

Ovechkin has denied the story.

Two days ago, I asked Malkin -- who is no longer using a translator in interviews -- if Ovechkin punched Ushakov.

"Yes," he said. "Bad situation."

Might whatever have occurred that night be the reason for Ovechkin's obvious hostility?

"Maybe," Malkin said. "I don't know."

Malkin and Ovechkin were roommates with the Russian Olympic team in Turin, Italy, in 2006.

How'd that go?

"Good time, good friends, good talk," Malkin said. "Now, it's so-so."

It's so so-so that the two barely made eye contact at last year's NHL Awards Ceremony in Toronto, where they finished one-two in league MVP voting.

Malkin was second, of course, just as he was drafted second behind Ovechkin in 2004 and finished right behind you-know-who in the NHL scoring race last season.

Malkin doesn't like finishing second. He answered passionately when asked if he longs to out-do Ovechkin.

"Yes, I want to," he said. "I try. I want to try to be better. Maybe this year I'll be better."

Ovechkin repeatedly has denied he has it out for Malkin, but at the aforementioned Awards Ceremony, he didn't exactly squelch the notion that more of the same was in store this season.

"You'll see," Ovechkin said.

Malkin's North American agent, J.P. Barry, has not been punched by Ovechkin.

Not yet, anyway.

Barry's version of the Moscow club story: "I'm not going to comment. There are all kinds of things I hear from Russia that I'm not able to verify."

Malkin, understandably, doesn't want to sound as if Ovechkin's targeting of him is bothersome.

"Ovechkin is a good strong guy, a physical guy," Malkin said. "I'm OK."

That almost was not the case Jan. 21 of last season at Mellon Arena, where Ovechkin took a maniacal run at Malkin and nearly blind-sided him into oblivion. Malkin dipped his shoulder at the last instant and sent Ovechkin careening into the boards.

"Very dangerous hit," Barry said. "Had (Ovechkin) actually (landed the blow), it would been a disciplinary-type hit."

Maybe a season-ender, too.

Obviously, in exploring the nature of this grudge, the questions far outnumber the answers.

Let's take on three of them:

1. Does this feud supersede the massively hyped Ovechkin-Sidney Crosby rivalry?

Absolutely. Now, whether it'll beat Alex Semin-versus-Crosby is another matter. Semin, the Capitals' other star Russian forward, ripped Crosby in a recent interview with Yahoo.com, essentially saying he is overrated.

2. Is such a high-profile feud good for the NHL?

To a point, sure. And you have to believe commissioner Gary Bettman craves a Capitals-Penguins playoff series. However, as Barry put it, "(The rivalry is) healthy for the league, but you hope it doesn't go over the edge." In other words, it wouldn't really help the league if one of its marquee stars were beheaded.

3. What's going to happen Jan. 14 at Mellon Arena, the next time the teams meet?

Should be mighty interesting - and if the NHL doesn't tell Ovechkin to cool it, the Penguins need to make it very clear, very early, that his behavior will no longer be tolerated. Something tells me Colby Armstrong, Jarkko Ruutu, Gary Roberts or Ryan Malone would have made that point Oct. 16. Maybe the Penguins' new guys weren't aware of just how cold this Cold War was.

They are now.

Everyone is, even if nobody seems to know why it started.

i always figured the reason OV started to take more runs at Malkin was because of when Malkin flipped that hit OV tried and pull on Malkin and sent OV into boards.

i say throw Biz Nasty or Godard on the same line as Malkin for a shift or two the next time they play each other jus in case they make a run at OV in case OV makes a run at Malkin

steelpride12
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow i was at the game last night and almost blowing that 5-0 lead wow! :banging: The crowd just about lost it and you could hear a pin drop when it was 5-4.
I made a joke to my dad when they scored their first goal i said "Here we go again, comeback time," and i guess i should shut up wow.

Although a strong game for the offense and it was nice to see Sykora get back into it ansd Satan he ias just a beast out there and another good pick up from the Pens. The Pens need to work on their leads giving up a 5 goal lead is un called for and a major problem.
Part was on Fluery he didn't make any saves in that third period giving up two light goals giving the Oilers a chance even with 0.07 second left on the face off.
A win is a win and would be nice to beat the Islanders before we go to Detrot.
GO PENS! :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
11-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Penguins Report: Crosby Sits Out Practice; May Miss Game

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=391097

Sidney Crosby left practice early on Friday afternoon and his playing status for Saturday night's game against the New York Islanders is unknown.

"A little sore today," Crosby said. "We'll see tomorrow."

Crosby has been bothered by a lingering undisclosed injury that he suffered against the Phoenix Coyotes on Oct. 30.

"It's been like this for a week," head coach Michel Therrien said. "We'll see how he feels tomorrow. So far he's felt good enough to play those games. He got hurt a little bit. We hope he's going to be there tomorrow."

> It’s an elite club of people who have their named attached with the words “most in NHL history.” However, Penguins forward Petr Sykora prefers to be no longer a member.

Sykora had registered 36 two-goal games in his NHL career heading into Pittsburgh’s matchup against Edmonton on Thursday night, the most ever by an NHL player without scoring three in a game.

He had another opportunity to break the distinction after netting two goals against the Oilers. However, he came up short again and had to settle for his 37th career two-goal game.

“I don’t care anymore,” Sykora said of not landing the elusive hat trick. “I’ve got a beautiful son, that’s all that matters.”

Sykora wasn’t the only Penguin who had a chance to record Pittsburgh’s first hat trick of the season. Miroslav Satan has recorded seven hat tricks in his career. His last three-goal effort, ironically, was on Feb. 4, 2006, against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Mellon Arena. But like Sykora, he too came up one goal short.

“Both of us had some chances and it just wasn’t meant to be,” Satan said.

> Satan is off to one of the best starts in his career with a team-leading eight goals through 13 games, including four power-play goals. Satan admitted that he normally has a slow start but finishes strong.

"It's usually the other way around," Satan said.

He is currently riding a three-game goal scoring streak into Long Island, where he played the past three seasons.

“I know most of the team,” Satan said. “I’ve had this happen before where I played against my former team so I don’t think it’s going to be something new for me.”

Satan’s departure was a mutual agreement with both sides heading in different directions.

“They decided that they’re going to go with young guys and rebuild," Satan said. "I’d rather be on a team that has a chance to win.”

> Pittsburgh nearly blew another lead in the third period on Thursday night against the Oilers. The Penguins let a 5-1 advantage evaporate, but still hung on for a 5-4 win. However, the Penguins believe that the Oilers game was more of an anomaly than a trend.

"It’s something that’s going on right now," Sykora said. "I don’t think it’s gong to happen again. It’s those games where you’re facing a team from the Western Conference, which plays totally different hockey. They play up-and-down, run-and-gun hockey. We kind of got caught up in that kind of hockey. That’s not the way we play. That’s what happened last night. We still came out with two points, that’s the most important thing."

It’s happened a few times and we’ve talked about it," Crosby said about blowing leads. "It’s not something we’ve let go on and not address it. It’s something you address with your play. You can only talk about it so much. When the time comes, you have to go out there and do the right things."

Therrien addressed the issue with his team but has turned his focus to the Islanders.

"We discussed it last night," he said. "I’m concentrating on tomorrow nights’ game."

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=391281

Crosby Will Be In The Lineup Tonight.

Sidney Crosby skated at the Penguins optional morning skate on Saturday and will be in the line-up for the match-up with the New York Islanders at 7 p.m.

Crosby left practice early on Friday with an undisclosed injury. There was some uncertainty on his playing status as a result, but he will be in the line-up against the Islanders.

Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora were the only Penguins not to participate in the morning skate.

Goaltender Dany Sabourin will make his third start of the season in goal for Pittsburgh.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Not surprised with Fleury getting benched tonight. He had a 5-0 cushion and left it all slip away.

Good to see Crosby is going to still play!!!

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Not surprised with Fleury getting benched tonight. He had a 5-0 cushion and left it all slip away.

Good to see Crosby is going to still play!!!

Fluery did let up some soft goals, but he is the reason for our success, but it's nice to see Sabo come in and get some playing time with him as well playing good.

pittsburghp8baller
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Fluery did let up some soft goals, but he is the reason for our success, but it's nice to see Sabo come in and get some playing time with him as well playing good.

agreed, one bad game dont warrant a benching. Fleury did give in some soft goals but the turnovers and some bad decisions did help him out either.

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Well Pens down after first period 1-0.
No offense really for either teams, Pens looked like the better team, but a deflection in the net gives NYI the lead and Pens generate only two shots.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 07:19 PM
GOOOALLL!!
Tyler Kennedy easy pickens from a great pass from Zigomanis on the shot fake tying the game 1-1.

After pens missed power play defensemen gets caught up ice and the NYI score on a 2 on 1 off a rebound. NYI 2-1.

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Pens not lookin good, giving up turnovers and again on the road not getting shots on the net as they have 0 in the last 10 minutes.
Waiting for our play makers Crosby and Malkin to start scoring and making plays, but the tight checking game is the Pens weakness and killing them now. Islanders lead 3-1.

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
GOALLLL!!
Jordan Staal 1-1 beats the defense men and pushes it in the net to cut the lead to 3-2.

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
End of the second period Pens still behind 3-2.
Goals from Kennedy(4), and Jordan Staal(2)

Awesome to see Staal get an even strength goal and how sweet a goal it was beating the defense and pushing that puck in the net.

Pens still not doing well on the PP during away games as they are last in the league and tonight 0-3 and in the process of their 4th when the third period begins.
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
11-08-2008, 08:22 PM
TK with the redirect to tie it up!!!!!

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 08:24 PM
GOOOAAAALLL!!
Tyler Kennedy(5) His second of the game as this line works hard keeps the puck in the zone and a Goligoski shot deflected in the net by Tyger to tie the game at 3 as the Pens have 17 shots on net to the NYI 0!
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
11-08-2008, 08:55 PM
They really need to tear that piece of crap building down. That ice was friggin ridiculous tonight, and the bounces off the boards weren't much better. But anyway, nice job by the guys to take the game to the other team in the 3rd period for a change, and come away with the 2 points. I don't know what it is about the Isles, but no matter how much they suck, they always play the Pens tough.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
They really need to tear that piece of crap building down. That ice was friggin ridiculous tonight, and the bounces off the boards weren't much better. But anyway, nice job by the guys to take the game to the other team in the 3rd period for a change, and come away with the 2 points. I don't know what it is about the Isles, but no matter how much they suck, they always play the Pens tough.

Aggreed. Or at least a new Ice Surface needs to be put in. I wonder if the guys who work in their ice control room were asleep.

steelpride12
11-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Terrible ice condition, but of course they will wait till someone gets hurt until they fixed that pathetic ice surface in which i counted 6 falls or trips.
Sabo another win and good game not the nicest win, but two points is two points!

Tuesday on Versus Pens at Detroit o man i cannot wait for this game, paybacks a biotch.

Fire Haley
11-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I was most pleased with Brooks Orpik starting a rush behind his own net and going all the way down to the corner in the Isles zone (where he crashed in a pothole in that shitty ice, but it was still an impressive skate)

Gogo and Letang are stepping up...they need to get stronger on D, and of course, shoot the puck more, but we got a lot of young fresh legs....let em fly.

The Pens dominated early in the game - the whole 1st p it seemed they were in the Isles end, awesome. A little shaky with the turnovers, still, but looking better.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Terrible ice condition, but of course they will wait till someone gets hurt until they fixed that pathetic ice surface in which i counted 6 falls or trips.
Sabo another win and good game not the nicest win, but two points is two points!

Tuesday on Versus Pens at Detroit o man i cannot wait for this game, paybacks a biotch.

Typical Islanders if ya ask me.

steelpride12
11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I was most pleased with Brooks Orpik starting a rush behind his own net and going all the way down to the corner in the Isles zone (where he crashed in a pothole in that shitty ice, but it was still an impressive skate)

Gogo and Letang are stepping up...they need to get stronger on D, and of course, shoot the puck more, but we got a lot of young fresh legs....let em fly.

The Pens dominated early in the game - the whole 1st p it seemed they were in the Isles end, awesome. A little shaky with the turnovers, still, but looking better.

You know with everyone on defense stepping up im wondering if any defense will go to the minors or be benched when Whit and Gonchar return. They are our two top defense men and will be first and second D liners, and with everyone playing well who goes down. I say Eaton will get benched he is still not 100% from last season, but other than him i don't know.

the_king_from_leon
11-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Just bought two tickets for the game against Minnesotta Wild next tuesday! Block C32 and they cost me $99 for the pair, is that any good? I know that the pengs only shoot once that way but seems like its half the face value

X-Terminator
11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Just bought two tickets for the game against Minnesotta Wild next tuesday! Block C32 and they cost me $99 for the pair, is that any good? I know that the pengs only shoot once that way but seems like its half the face value

You got them for less than half-price, so yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

the_king_from_leon
11-11-2008, 12:00 PM
You got them for less than half-price, so yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

WOW Sweet I cannot wait to get down there for the game and see Crosby and Satan running wild! (pleased with that pun btw!)

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Yes excellent deal end zones are pretty nice seats. Stubhub.com?

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
GOALLL!!!!
Crosby with his 4th of the year in front of the net over Osgood gives the Pens a 1-0 with 9:00 remaining in the first.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Yikes not good Scuderi goes to the locker room after getting a slap shot to the ankle we cannot afford to lose anymore defense men.

randy06
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Cmon pens we need to keep the pressure on them not the other way around.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
End of the first period Pens losing 2-1.
Goals from Crosby(4).
Penalty trouble early giving the wings the start of the second their third PP and with them ranked first at it we must stop.

Pens came out strong, but slowly starting to look like the inexperienced Pens from the stanely cup final games and need to bring back their energy.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 07:18 PM
GOOAALLL!!!
Wrap around from Sykora goes off Talbot's boot in the net.
Pens trail now 3-2 looking pretty good again.

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
3-2 Detroit. Franzen and Talbot scored for both teams. 1/2 way through 2nd Period.

Remove Post Please!

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
End of the second period Pens losing 4-2 as Detroit is just one unstoppable team.
After a Talbot goal the transition game which we don't have due to lack of Gonchar is the key for success of the Red Wings as they handily take this game and on pace for 35 shots.

RunWillieRun
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
God I hope someone jacks-up hossa. Pummel his profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering face

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Well pens rally with goals from Malkin with a nice wrister on a 5 on 3 and Jordan Staal Amazing back hander to go down 4-5.
Two minutes later Wings Score to put this game a 2 goal lead and out of reach.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Nice to see Jordan Staal getting goals now in games lets hope he can open up that talent and score because his goal tonight off the back hand was a beauty.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
BIGGEST GAME IVE EVER SAW AS THE PENS TIE THE GAME UP WITH TWO MORE GOALS FROM JORDAN STAAL GIVING HIM A HAT TRICK!!!

randy06
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
WHAT A GAME!!!

randy06
11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Well pens rally with goals from Malkin with a nice wrister on a 5 on 3 and Jordan Staal Amazing back hander to go down 4-5.
Two minutes later Wings Score to put this game a 2 goal lead and out of reach.

Eat those words lol

randy06
11-11-2008, 08:44 PM
PENS WINNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
THE PENS WIN THE PENS WIN!
JORDAN STAAL ON THE BACK CHECK 2 ON 1 PASS TO FEDOTENKO GOOOOALLLLL!!!!!!!

HometownGal
11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Game winner by Tank! :tt03::applaudit:

What a WOW of a game! I so loved beating those jagoffs! :tt03::drink:

GREAT GAME PENS! :applaudit:

X-Terminator
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I didn't dare watch the game once I got home and instead followed it on NHL.com's GameCenter, and I cannot believe they came back and won that game. I'm STILL in shock! Luckily I DVR'd it so I can watch it tomorrow, but...wow, what a comeback!

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I wonder how Judas is feeling. lol.

randy06
11-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I didn't dare watch the game once I got home and instead followed it on NHL.com's GameCenter, and I cannot believe they came back and won that game. I'm STILL in shock! Luckily I DVR'd it so I can watch it tomorrow, but...wow, what a comeback!

Hands down the best game Ive seen in a while, if ever.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
My voice literally is gone right now as the Pens prove they are a top team and get over that mental mountain that the wings are still not the kings over the PENS!!!

randy06
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
My voice literally is gone right now as the Pens prove they are a top team and get over that mental mountain that the wings are still not the kings over the PENS!!!

you said it brother!

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Only 17 years old been a Pens fan since i was 6 and hands down best game Ive ever saw!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Only 17 years old been a Pens fan since i was 6 and hands down best game Ive ever saw!!!

That Stanley Cup Finals 3OT game was pretty sweet though.

Edman
11-11-2008, 10:11 PM
More entertaining than the triple overtime thriller in the Finals.

The Dead Things can go f*ck themselves.

RunWillieRun
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
EPIC game!

I love seeing Detroit lose, especially at the hands of Pens.

Hossa - STUNNED
Datsyuk - STUNNED
Zetterdick - STUNNED
Osgood - STUNNED
Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter - STUNNED

HometownGal
11-12-2008, 06:49 AM
I wonder how Judas is feeling. lol.

Judas!!! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: The look on his face last night as he headed off the ice with his teammates was priceless! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

What goes around comes around. :applaudit:

stlrtruck
11-12-2008, 07:31 AM
That was a great win last night. I was at Bike Night and the place we were at had it on the tv. It was great to be able to get together on the motorcycle (yeah it's that warm here) and enjoy the come from behind victory!!!

pittsburghp8baller
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Hands down best game i have ever watched. the triple OT yea was nice but this beats the pants off of it. The Penguins showed why they are one of the elite teams in the NHL with the way they didnt give in even while being faced with a 5-2 deficit.

i really do hope that we square off in the finals once more because 1. Its absolutely fun to watch these two teams play each other 2. its great for the sport.

this has got of be the turning point of our year. im willing to bet Crosby and Malkin get hot (didnt think Malkin could get hotter but he will)

X-Terminator
11-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Judas!!! :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: The look on his face last night as he headed off the ice with his teammates was priceless! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Damn straight! :applaudit:

To tell you the truth, I STILL can't believe they came back and won. The Wings don't give up leads in the 3rd period, especially not 3-goal leads. Just an amazing win! This is the kind of win that can propel a team into a nice, long run, but it could also cause a bit of a letdown in their next game. The Flyers are up next and those games are always intense, so I don't expect that to happen.

Though I haven't watched the whole game yet, I still think the 4 OT epic against the Caps in the 1998 playoffs where Petr Nedved scored the game-winner is still the greatest Pens game I've ever seen other than the 2 Cup-clinching wins.

the_king_from_leon
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes excellent deal end zones are pretty nice seats. Stubhub.com?

Nope got them off ebay, stubhub is still a lot more unfortunately

steelpride12
11-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Damn straight! :applaudit:

To tell you the truth, I STILL can't believe they came back and won. The Wings don't give up leads in the 3rd period, especially not 3-goal leads. Just an amazing win! This is the kind of win that can propel a team into a nice, long run, but it could also cause a bit of a letdown in their next game. The Flyers are up next and those games are always intense, so I don't expect that to happen.

Though I haven't watched the whole game yet, I still think the 4 OT epic against the Caps in the 1998 playoffs where Petr Nedved scored the game-winner is still the greatest Pens game I've ever seen other than the 2 Cup-clinching wins.

What shocks me is that we won without our transition game with Gonchar and Whitney and still produced 34 shots on net without our top defensive shooter. Great sense of pride right there! :applaudit:

SteelCityMan786
11-12-2008, 05:00 PM

Payback sucks sometimes don't it?!?! lol

pittsburghp8baller
11-13-2008, 11:37 AM
didnt see if this was posted but we need to get out there and vote for the Penguins in the all-star game. as of right now the east starting lineup will consist of ALL Montreal Canadiens. Sid is over 80,000 votes behind the leading Saku Koivu. so every1 needs to get out there and get Sid and Geno into the starting lineup!

http://fanballoting.nhl.com/

X-Terminator
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
didnt see if this was posted but we need to get out there and vote for the Penguins in the all-star game. as of right now the east starting lineup will consist of ALL Montreal Canadiens. Sid is over 80,000 votes behind the leading Saku Koivu. so every1 needs to get out there and get Sid and Geno into the starting lineup!

http://fanballoting.nhl.com/

This is what happens when you allow voting via the internet and cell phone. There's no way in hell that Koivu and Kovalev should be ahead of Sid and Geno...and Alexander Semin, for that matter, and the only reason why they are is because the ASG is being held in Montreal. Semin is only leading the league in scoring, even if he is a tool for ragging on Sid.

KeiselPower99
11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
That was a great game the other night. Hope it carries on to the rest of the season.

Fire Haley
11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Flyers game tonight should be another wide open game, their D has been giving up a lot of goals...go get em Pens!

I hate the Flyers.

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
GOOOAAALL!!
Pass from Kennedy to Matt Cooke(1) for his first of the season as he has points in the last 4 out of 5 game! Pens lead 1-0

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
End of first still 1-0 Pens Cooke the goal scorer.
Good to see the confidence in Staal as he is playing well and back checking like no other.

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
GOOOALLLLSSS!!
Malkin on a tired shift pass from Tank in front of the net backhand to give the Pens a 2-0 lead.
On the PP Crosby similar play gets puck from blue line speeds in and exactly backhand as Malkin to give the Pens a 3-0 lead middle of second!

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
O man i cannot take this all season long getting out of hand the Pens giving up leads. 3-0 in 5 minutes goes to 3-2 with 2 quick Philly goals and one of them being short handed.

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Its dam official Pens blew their 7th lead of the season being up 3-0 and ANOTHER short handed goal by Philly makes it 3-3!

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
WTF serious problem!
After second period Pens losing YES LOSING 4-3 as the Flyers get 4 goals in a row to take the lead as the Pens blow ANOTHER lead this season now their 7th and just look down right beat out there.
One period left to come back.
GO PENS!

Pittsburghfan
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Fleury got pulled and Crosby put a shot in to tie it at 4. OT boys!

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 09:15 PM
GOOOALLL Crosby(6), Turnover from Flyers defense gives Crosby puck right in front of the net to make the game 4-4 and now to a shootout!

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
PENS WIN!!!
Gologoski with the lone goal in the 6th round of the shootout to win it as the Pens now have a 5 game win streak.
Loved the tackle by Sabo on Hartnell on the last attempt as well.
Good game Pens!
GO PENS!!!

X-Terminator
11-13-2008, 10:42 PM
You know, it's great that the Pens are winning and have played some damn exciting games, but they are really driving me nuts with their inability to play with and hold a big lead. I don't know what the hell goes on, but it's like they think, "OK, game's over, time to take the rest of the night off"...when there's still half the game to play! This has really become a big problem, and I know I sound like a broken record, but they HAVE to get this under control.

And would someone please put out an APB on the Fleury from the end of last season until the first 10 games of this season? He seems to have gone missing in the last few games. The guy who has been wearing #29 has to be an impostor, as he's given up 21 goals in his last 5 starts. :doh:

steelpride12
11-14-2008, 07:31 AM
You know, it's great that the Pens are winning and have played some damn exciting games, but they are really driving me nuts with their inability to play with and hold a big lead. I don't know what the hell goes on, but it's like they think, "OK, game's over, time to take the rest of the night off"...when there's still half the game to play! This has really become a big problem, and I know I sound like a broken record, but they HAVE to get this under control.

And would someone please put out an APB on the Fleury from the end of last season until the first 10 games of this season? He seems to have gone missing in the last few games. The guy who has been wearing #29 has to be an impostor, as he's given up 21 goals in his last 5 starts. :doh:

The giving up leads come back to haunt us so many times and sure were winning those games, but in the 3 round of the playoffs won't be much of a success for us to keep that up. The PP seems to be too offensive with Malkin at the point and if a shot is blocked he can't play defense correctly. Something the coaches need to talk about because its a big problem that's not going away.

You know Fluery is def. giving up alot of goals, but Erry was saying how if it wasnt for him the Pens would not be where they are today and I still strongly agree. Fluery gives up goals, but the saves he makes are at the right time and their always pretty great look stops as well. He only had a chance to truly stop one goal last night and it was the first one. The next three were odd man rushes and odd bounces. Sabo is stepping up big too which excites me, but for Fluery im still confident with his play.
GO PENS!!!!

stlrtruck
11-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Nothing like a win over the flyers so your daughter can wear here Penguins t-shirt to school and oh, I get to call my older brother (the flyer fan) today for bragging rights!!!

X-Terminator
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
OK, despite the Pens nearly driving me to drink again last night, I have to say it:

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2008/11/croz.jpg

PHUCK FILLY.

stlrtruck
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
OK, despite the Pens nearly driving me to drink again last night, I have to say it:

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2008/11/croz.jpg

PHUCK FILLY.

The Cardiac Kids are back
:alcoholic: :crazy01: :nurse:

randy06
11-14-2008, 11:27 AM
GO PENS!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
The giving up leads come back to haunt us so many times and sure were winning those games, but in the 3 round of the playoffs won't be much of a success for us to keep that up. The PP seems to be too offensive with Malkin at the point and if a shot is blocked he can't play defense correctly. Something the coaches need to talk about because its a big problem that's not going away.

You know Fluery is def. giving up alot of goals, but Erry was saying how if it wasnt for him the Pens would not be where they are today and I still strongly agree. Fluery gives up goals, but the saves he makes are at the right time and their always pretty great look stops as well. He only had a chance to truly stop one goal last night and it was the first one. The next three were odd man rushes and odd bounces. Sabo is stepping up big too which excites me, but for Fluery im still confident with his play.
GO PENS!!!!

exactly, even Martin Brodeur has been pulled from games and have had a tough stretch. Fleury will snap out of this, maybe the being pulled from the game will be a wakeup call

steelpride12
11-15-2008, 07:13 PM
End of the first period Pens falling behind 1-0. Pens not playing their best hockey as Buffalo is just outplaying them as well as blocking shots.

Pens are 0-1 on the power play with about 40 seconds left on one coming into the second period. Gotta cash in.
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
GOOALLLL!!!!
Malkin(7) on the Power play nice pass from Gologoski and a slap shot saved and bounced in the net.
Tied at 1-1 4:00 remaining in the second!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
End of the second period as the Pens fall behind again 2-1 with a Sabres PP with around 1 minute left in the game.
Goals from:Malkin(7)
Pens will have a Power Play to begin the second period.

steelpride12
11-15-2008, 08:51 PM
GOOOAAALLL!!!
The Youngster offensive Juggernaut defense men Alex Gologoski(4) on the power play great pass from Crosby cross ice Miller out of position GOAL!
Game tied 2-2.

steelpride12
11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
GOOOAAALLLL Galore!!!
Goals from Staal(6), Fedotenko(4), and Staal Empty Net(7) to give the Pens a demanding 5-2 victory over the Sabres.

Fluery Made amazing tonight as the Sabres had several chances on 1-1's and good plays, but Flower stood strong and held his ground to prove he is one hell of a goalie!!!

Pens now have a 6 game winning streak and catching up quickly to the Rangers. Great Game!!!
GO PENSS!!!

steelpride12
11-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Jordan Staal already with 7 goals is really breaking out and it looks like his rookie year all over again. He brings out the strength of the third line giving the Pens great depth.
As well im impressed with ALL lines even the fourth playing dump and chase well in the sabres zone and creating plays.

Matt Cooke 6 points in the last 6 games looking good as well!

X-Terminator
11-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Matt Cooke is starting to grow on me a bit. He hits everything that moves and he is no slouch around the net, showing more skill than Ruutu ever did apart from the shootout.

I feel dirty.

Anyway, the boys took care of business when it mattered the most and came away with a convincing win. The 3rd period, once a nemesis, is now turning into their best friend. Fleury bounced back from being pulled and had a very solid game, exactly what we need to see from him every night. And what can you say about Staal? He and that third line with Cooke and Kennedy have been outstanding in the last few games. Looks like Therrien has finally found the lineup he likes - the chemistry on all of the lines is very good right now, and it's showing on the scoresheet.

Alex Goligoski is the real deal, folks.

Go Pens.

Pittsburghfan
11-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Breaking News! Darryl Sydor traded to Dallas Stars for Phillipe Boucher.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/default.aspx

pittsburghp8baller
11-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Breaking News! Darryl Sydor traded to Dallas Stars for Phillipe Boucher.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/default.aspx

i saw it on the NHL network on the bottom line but couldnt find it any where else actually came on here to find out if any1 else heard it.

solid pickup i guess, gives us another right handed d-man and another guy to play the powerplay. big hard shot good addition by the Pens.

quick poll question- any chance Boucher may end up being traded again once Gonchar and Whitney get back or does he sport the Pens jersey all year?

X-Terminator
11-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I knew about the trade last night when it broke - the original source was RDS.ca, the French language version of TSN in Canada. To me, it makes absolutely no sense - Sydor couldn't crack the lineup on a regular basis, so why trade for another D who may end up in the press box himself? Maybe Sydor forced their hand because it was clear that he wanted to play. And Boucher was having a really good season last year before getting hurt and has been struggling so far this year. When he's healthy, he's pretty valuable with a good shot from the point and plays a physical game. He's a better all-around defenseman at this point than Sydor, but still...I don't understand the move. Unless Shero is planning to move Eaton, Whitney or Gonchar to free up some money to re-sign Staal. Eaton I can see being moved, Gonchar likely will NOT be moved since he still has 1 year left on his contract and he'd be coming off a major injury at age 35, so that leaves Whitney. His name has come up quite a bit over the past year in trade rumors, so it would not surprise me if he is dealt to clear up the $4 million they will need to re-sign Staal. With the way Goligoski is playing right now, he's become expendable, IMO.

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I knew about the trade last night when it broke - the original source was RDS.ca, the French language version of TSN in Canada. To me, it makes absolutely no sense - Sydor couldn't crack the lineup on a regular basis, so why trade for another D who may end up in the press box himself? Maybe Sydor forced their hand because it was clear that he wanted to play. And Boucher was having a really good season last year before getting hurt and has been struggling so far this year. When he's healthy, he's pretty valuable with a good shot from the point and plays a physical game. He's a better all-around defenseman at this point than Sydor, but still...I don't understand the move. Unless Shero is planning to move Eaton, Whitney or Gonchar to free up some money to re-sign Staal. Eaton I can see being moved, Gonchar likely will NOT be moved since he still has 1 year left on his contract and he'd be coming off a major injury at age 35, so that leaves Whitney. His name has come up quite a bit over the past year in trade rumors, so it would not surprise me if he is dealt to clear up the $4 million they will need to re-sign Staal. With the way Goligoski is playing right now, he's become expendable, IMO.

Not to mention Biznasty has been pretty good in games he has played. I wouldn't be stunned if he ends up being part of the teams future should Whitney become the removable piece.

steelpride12
11-16-2008, 12:38 PM

I don't see Boucher getting much playing time anyway like Sydor didn't. Eaton is younger and needs to get his legs back from his season ending injury last season. Plus when Gonch and Whit return to the line-up i could see another possible trade. Not sure about this trade we will see what Ray Shero was doing soon.

pittsburghp8baller
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM

Gonchar cant be moved anyway, he has a no-trade right? i wouldnt cry if whitney was the d-man to be moved, i was never sold on him but he has improved. so im hoping when he gets back he will light it up so his stock will rise. id like to see Boucher play in more of the road games to maybe try and boast that last place road power play. but yea really all he is a right-handed d-man with a big shoot coming off an injury. stats arent impressive this year, but neither any d-man/goalie from Dallas this year. with boucher in the lineup malkin wont have to play the ENTIRE powerplay and add to the 5 shortys we have given up

steelpride12
11-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Gonchar cant be moved anyway, he has a no-trade right? i wouldnt cry if whitney was the d-man to be moved, i was never sold on him but he has improved. so im hoping when he gets back he will light it up so his stock will rise. id like to see Boucher play in more of the road games to maybe try and boast that last place road power play. but yea really all he is a right-handed d-man with a big shoot coming off an injury. stats arent impressive this year, but neither any d-man/goalie from Dallas this year. with boucher in the lineup malkin wont have to play the ENTIRE powerplay and add to the 5 shortys we have given up

That's exaclty why Shero brought Boucher was brought in for the road power play's. He is a big defensemen and one that can shoot and produce goals on the power play. Don't see him getting much time once Gonch and Whit return, but he will do for now and nothing to get worked up about Sydor was a Veteran, but so is Boucher and will only improve the PP.

X-Terminator
11-17-2008, 09:41 AM

Yes he does have an NTC, but he can still be moved if he waives it. At any rate, I don't see them trading Gonchar before next season unless they get an offer they can't refuse. As for Boucher, if all he does is help with the PP while providing a physical presence, then it's a good trade. With all the talent we have, there's no reason why we shouldn't be ranked in the top 5 on the PP.

X-Terminator
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Another day, another injury - this time, it's Fleury: :banging:

Penguins Report: Fleury Suffers Injury; Will Miss Tuesday's Game

Nov 17, 2008, 11:14 AM EST

Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury suffered an undisclosed injury and did not attend Pittsburgh's practice on Monday. He is listed as day-to-day and will not play against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday night at Mellon Arena at 7 p.m.

"He's not going to play (Tuesday)," head coach Michel Therrien said. "It's not a major injury but we don't want to take any risks. That's why we want to be really cautious with his injury."

Therrien confirmed that Fleury suffered the injury late in Saturday's game against the Buffalo Sabres. Fleury still played the entire game.

If he isn't healthy enough to backup Dany Sabourin on Tuesday night then the Penguins will re-call a goalie from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=392900

Well Sabu - it's all you, brah!

pittsburghp8baller
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
that sucks, but it cant be to serious if he was able to finish the game.

im confident in Sabo to hold the fort till Fleury gets back hopefully its not to long though

steelpride12
11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Shero stated he was day-to-day and just to be safe is playing Sabo who is having a good year so far and i see Fluery back as soon as Thursday no worries.

pittsburghp8baller
11-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes he does have an NTC, but he can still be moved if he waives it. At any rate, I don't see them trading Gonchar before next season unless they get an offer they can't refuse. As for Boucher, if all he does is help with the PP while providing a physical presence, then it's a good trade. With all the talent we have, there's no reason why we shouldn't be ranked in the top 5 on the PP.

has nothing to do with your post but i wanted to get your attention,

looks like you and i are running away in fantasy hockey. both of us are over 10 games ahead of the second place guy in our division and i ended up edged you out by one category the other week.

X-Terminator
11-18-2008, 07:49 AM
has nothing to do with your post but i wanted to get your attention,

looks like you and i are running away in fantasy hockey. both of us are over 10 games ahead of the second place guy in our division and i ended up edged you out by one category the other week.

Yeah I noticed that. My team has been pretty strong, as I felt it would be from the beginning. It's a long season, though, and anything can happen.

BTW, I accepted the trade request, so hopefully it goes through.

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah I noticed that. My team has been pretty strong, as I felt it would be from the beginning. It's a long season, though, and anything can happen.

BTW, I accepted the trade request, so hopefully it goes through.

yea i seen, im really hoping that huselius keeps up his current pace which would land around 70 points and then i needed pronger to fill a gap im bout to make with another trade with one of my d-man. i gotta admit, the trade at plain view your getting the better deal but if i can flip this trade im trying to get i think it will even out

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Matt Cooke Baby!!!! Evens its back up after a weak goal let in by Sabo, Staal another point. this line is really on fire

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
GOOOALLL!!!
After a shaky goal let in by Sabo Staal pushes the puck toward the net and Matt Cooke(2) Buries in down low on Backstrom!
Pens tied 1-1
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
End of the first period game tied at 1 a piece.
Goals from:Cooke(2)

This game so far is all Pittsburgh with over 10 shots on net plus scoring chances. The one flaky goal ties it, but the pressure the Pens are bringing is only a matter of time till a break out.
GO PENS!!!

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 07:09 PM
STAAL IN A FIGHT!! not bad for his second career fight (i was there for his first!)

Crushzilla
11-18-2008, 07:10 PM
He didn't stay on his feet long... but he didn't get his ass kicked.

:thumbsup:

works for me!

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Staal actually threw punches. Id give him the benefit of the doubt on the win.

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
End of the second score still 1-1.
I like Bouche he is a good right handed point men who don't forget had 19 goals two seasons ago and had season ending surgery last season. He had a nice shot on the PP made into a great opportunity.

This defensive game has been back and forth both teams getting chances so far. Id rather not go to a shootout against Backstrom, but then again Sabo has been in most of the shootouts this season and shined. Should be a good one to the finish.

Crushzilla
11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Ah yes. The Crosby, Malkin, Staal line.

The line Pens fans dreamed about 7 years ago