PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
looks like OT, great game as expected low scoring when playing the Wild

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Shootout time. Hope the Pens can get past Backstrom.
In Sabo we trust.
FINISH THEM PENS!!!

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I knew it. I called that from the start. Had that gut feeling Pens couldn't get by Backstrom too good of a goalie and Crosby's shot was half assed.
Well Pens get a point out of it.

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
tough loss, couldnt get one by backstrom. no shame in losing to a good team and goalie like that. we forced overtime with our backup with one of the best goalies in the league.

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I knew it. I called that from the start. Had that gut feeling Pens couldn't get by Backstrom too good of a goalie and Crosby's shot was half assed.Well Pens get a point out of it.

looked more like he changed his mind on what he wanted to do. looks like he wanted to go backhand but he maybe thought he could catch backstrom so he changed it up.

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 08:49 PM
looked more like he changed his mind on what he wanted to do. looks like he wanted to go backhand but he maybe thought he could catch backstrom so he changed it up.

Ya seemed the net on the right side was pretty open just wanted to take a chance. 1 point is better than none.

RunWillieRun
11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Why the hell is Crosby taking shootout attempts? I don't care who he is. 0-4 on the shoot out? BENCH HIM. Put in Letang.

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Why the hell is Crosby taking shootout attempts? I don't care who he is. 0-4 on the shoot out? BENCH HIM. Put in Letang.

before i say wat im gonna say ill say- Letang is my favorite player on the team but he hasnt connected on any this year and had a longer streak gonna back from last year.

when it comes to it, crosby is our most clutch player. yea he isnt great at shootouts but i bet if you look at all of the goals he has scored in shootouts jus bout all probably have in some way won the game for the pens.

just checked Letang has missed his last 6 shootout attempts after starting 5 for 5. he has so many variations of his shot im surprised he has been having this much problems

give the puck to your best players and let him win the game for ya

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 09:17 PM
just looked up sidney crosby's shootout stats ( i love NHL.com's stats page)

2005-06 2 for 6 1 GDG (game deciding goal)
2006-07 5 for 15 4 GDG
2007-08 2 for 7 2 GDG
2008-09 0 for 4 obviously no GDG, yet

devilsdancefloor
11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
a point is a point! that might mean playoff spot or no plyoffs at all think of it that way:coffee: BTW go black hawks http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08472/hawk820.jpg go steelers :tt::tt::tt::drink:

pittsburghp8baller
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
a point is a point! that might mean playoff spot or no plyoffs at all think of it that way:coffee: BTW go black hawks http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08472/hawk820.jpg go steelers :tt::tt::tt::drink:

2 is better than 1 but 1 is better than 0 so ill agree.

im watching the blackhawks game right now looking good so far, first of wat- 6 on the road in a row. Kane took a nasty spill at the end of the second but looks to be good

steelpride12
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Blackhawks fan? Screw off!

X-Terminator
11-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Blackhawks fan? Screw off!

What's wrong with the Hawks? They're basically the Pens from 2 years ago - lots of young players with some vets mixed in. Once the Wings finally go on the decline as their core players get older, the Hawks could very well be the heir apparent to their throne.

steelpride12
11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
What's wrong with the Hawks? They're basically the Pens from 2 years ago - lots of young players with some vets mixed in. Once the Wings finally go on the decline as their core players get older, the Hawks could very well be the heir apparent to their throne.

Sorry im a homer die hard Steelers Pens and Even Bucs fan sorry, ive learned to dislike every other team!

pittsburghp8baller
11-20-2008, 10:16 AM

yeah, Pat Kane and Jon Toews got to be up there with the best 1-2 young punch in the league (obviously behind Geno and Sid, OV and Semin). they are another one of those teams i like to watch if the pens arent playing.

X-Terminator
11-21-2008, 09:08 AM
In the midst of the Steelers embarrassing the joke that is the Cinsuck Bungles, the Pens were in action last night and won 3-2. Satan, Crosby and Sykora with the goals, Sykora's being the game-winner late in the 3rd period. And that's about all I can tell you about the game - I only watched the first period and a quarter. We've now won 7 of our last 8 games and are keeping pace with the Rangers, 3 points down with 3 games in hand. Next up is Vancouver tomorrow afternoon, and I will be there! I will also be debuting my brand-spanking new Alex Goligoski 3rd jersey :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
11-21-2008, 11:19 AM
i watched the game, great game by sabo and all around. we looked good on the powerplay even though we only got one. we had 7 shots on a 5-on-3 but pavelec was jus out of the world we could easly scored 5 or 6 goals. Crosby's goal was highlight reel once more and then shattered sykora stick with a slap shot that sykora deflected in. another good W for the Pens and another strong 3rd. i guess i was the only one to watch the Pens game mainly?

steelpride12
11-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, didn't get to see the Pens game last night i was at the Steeler game watching the whoop down on the Bungles all night, but got to see the highlights.
Crosby's falling down goal was a reel of the week and shows his pure talent and Sabo played well in the third after two breakaways(nervous about) were he made both stops and kept the Pens in the game.
7 of 8 for wins and the 1 we still managed a point. Pens are looking good and this is their tied best record to start off since so looking good.

Fire Haley
11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
I watched the Thrasher game - Sid was on his game. No contest.

Dany boy made some good saves and kept us in it for the Pens patented 3rd period comeback.

Today is an afternoon game, messin' up my college football cheerleader watching.

Oh - and don't be busting on other teams fans tooooo much, hockey is a small enough audience that there's plenty of room for all.

X-Terminator
11-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd just like to say that I HATE afternoon games.

That is all.

Fire Haley
11-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Well that sucked - at least the rangers got smoked

pittsburghp8baller
11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Well that sucked - at least the rangers got smoked

thats a plus

this is one of those games u jus put behind u and move on to the next one

steelpride12
11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Didn't get to watched the game, but saw the highlights. Looks like our scorers just didn't produce tonight and that won't get us a win. O well Wed. is the NYI.

Crushzilla
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I'd just like to say that I HATE afternoon games.

That is all.

I missed it. Totally didn't even realize.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Penguins trail 3-0

Penguins win 5-3

haha. Islanders Suck!!!

steelpride12
11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Got home in time to watch the game and again another great comeback by those Pens!

That tallies 10 this season in comeback games and the Pens never are doubted down by any amount of goals. Curry came in and shut down the Isles and proved someday he can be an NHL goalie.

Can't say enough about Malkin's and Crosby's performances last night. When they score we win games and they stepped up and took it to Mcdonald. Great to see Orpik scoring goals as well. Great game!

GO PENS!!!

HometownGal
11-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I ventured out last night for a little while and came home to watch the 3rd period. What a comeback by our Pens! :applaudit::thumbsup:

The two headed monster of Geno and Sid strikes again! :drink: Geno was again outstanding last night and is atop of the NHL scoring list by 5 after his remarkable performance last night!

LETS GO PENS!!! :tt03::applaudit:

X-Terminator
11-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone else think Geno is the best player in the league right now? I do. All due respect to Sid and AO, but I just think he's a little bit better than both of them. He's basically a combination of the two - he's a damn good goal scorer like AO, and his passing ability, while not quite on the level of Sid, is very, very underrated. And the way he can take over a game like he did last night reminds me of the man who signs his paychecks every month. But he'll probably never get the attention he deserves because he plays in Sid's shadow and everyone loves AO and the excitement he brings.

Fire Haley
11-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Sid&Malkin, Malkin&Sid. That's all we need right now, just give them a sliver of open ice.

I'm more concerned with Fleury being out a month.

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Sid&Malkin, Malkin&Sid. That's all we need right now, just give them a sliver of open ice.

I'm more concerned with Fleury being out a month.

I wonder if Curry will be a Conklin.

X-Terminator
11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I wonder if Curry will be a Conklin.

We'll find out tonight since he's getting the start against the Sabres.

I've heard the same thing about Fleury being out a month, but he's still listed as day-to-day with an "undisclosed injury." Word on the street is that he has a torn groin, the same injury that Roberto Luongo has, which would keep him out 4-6 weeks. Damn.

HometownGal
11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
We'll find out tonight since he's getting the start against the Sabres.

I've heard the same thing about Fleury being out a month, but he's still listed as day-to-day with an "undisclosed injury." Word on the street is that he has a torn groin, the same injury that Roberto Luongo has, which would keep him out 4-6 weeks. Damn.

Gawd that sucks about Fleury. Hopefully it isn't a torn groin - those take forever to heal up totally.

Here's hoping Curry can hold his own tonight. :drink:

X-Terminator
11-28-2008, 09:42 PM
You know, maybe the Pens should play from behind every game, so that they'd have a chance to win. Because they sure as hell don't know how to play with a lead. :mad:

And can someone - ANYONE - do something about their pathetic PP? This is the 2nd straight game they've had a 5-on-3 and did absolutely nothing with it, and this time it cost them the game. I'm getting a little frustrated with their lack of production on the PP - they have TOO MUCH TALENT to continually struggle like this! If it sounds like I'm pissed off...well, I am. This is yet another game they should have won.

steelpride12
11-29-2008, 08:56 AM
You know, maybe the Pens should play from behind every game, so that they'd have a chance to win. Because they sure as hell don't know how to play with a lead. :mad:

And can someone - ANYONE - do something about their pathetic PP? This is the 2nd straight game they've had a 5-on-3 and did absolutely nothing with it, and this time it cost them the game. I'm getting a little frustrated with their lack of production on the PP - they have TOO MUCH TALENT to continually struggle like this! If it sounds like I'm pissed off...well, I am. This is yet another game they should have won.

Yes the PP has honestly become a problem as the Pens had ample opportunities to go up by two goals even three and didn't do anything with it.
Can't be surprised we blew the lead its the 13 time this season im just expecting it by now.
Happy with Curry he flashed that gloved around, played well and kept the team in the game until 3:00 remaining.

SteelCityMan786
11-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Sabo is doing pretty good tonight.

Sid's goal means a 1-0 Penguins Lead.

X-Terminator
11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
So they actually CAN play with a lead! Holy Toledo!

Hard to believe that this was just their 4th win this season when leading after 2. They've actually won more games when they've trailed after 2 than when leading. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

SteelCityMan786
11-29-2008, 11:09 PM
So they actually CAN play with a lead! Holy Toledo!

Hard to believe that this was just their 4th win this season when leading after 2. They've actually won more games when they've trailed after 2 than when leading. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I think they'll be able to balance things out. Still early in the season. A LOT of hockey still remains.

Fire Haley
11-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Sid&Malkin, Malkin &Sid.
It's all we need right now.

The Jersey announcers were falling over themselves praising Malkin for his every move - kinda funny really.

Dany boy done good too.

SteelCityMan786
11-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Sid&Malkin, Malkin &Sid.

The Jersey announcers were falling over themselves praising Malkin for his every move - kinda funny really.

Dany boy done good too.

One more reason why I am happy to have the best 2 players in the NHL playing for the Penguins!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
11-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Sid&Malkin, Malkin &Sid.

Dany boy done good too.

Doc Emerick is a great annoucer and he has no problem throwing out props when its deserving unlike some other annoucers (The Capitals annoucers).

great stretch for the pens. they hasnt been two better players this week than Geno and Sid, now if we can get the PP working we will be very difficult to beat.

i was very impressed with how Curry played in both games, his only downfall would be his height. Add two inches then he maybe stops that second goal. would be a great backup for flower next season.

steelpride12
12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Curry again played well I have been impressed with his numbers so far.

What more can you say about the play when Sid and Geno are on the ice working their magic. Geno with a hat trick and now Sid. Pens never go wrong when those two get on the score sheet.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
End of the first Pens lead 1-0.
Goal from:Eaton(1) His first of the season when Crosby had a nice steal and set up.

Pens look strong early keeping the puck in the offensive zone and feeding it to the net as much as possible.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
GOALLLL!!!!
Scuderi shot from the point deflected in by Staal!
Pens leading 2-1 after a quick NY goal.

steelpride12
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM
End of the second Pens lead 2-1.
Second period goals from:Staal(8)

Still had pressure, but gave up opportunities final ten minutes cutting the lead in half, but Pens are still getting opportunities to put the game away.

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Next time the Penguins play the Rangers, DON'T START SABO!!! He's been giving up countless big goals that have screwed the Penguins numerous times tonight.

steelpride12
12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow Sabo blew that shootout, gave up everything Pens had no chance to get back in it. Tough loss.

X-Terminator
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I've officially had enough of this team constantly blowing leads. It's ridiculous, inexcusable and downright embarrassing. MT hasn't reamed their asses in public yet this season, but I think now would be a good time. You'd think after 20+ games they'd learn how to play with a lead. No more excuses - it had better get fixed, and fixed ASAfinP. Just think of what their record would be if they didn't have so many come-from-ahead losses. :mad:

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow Sabo blew that shootout, gave up everything Pens had no chance to get back in it. Tough loss.

Start Curry tomorrow. Should do well, start him against the Sens.

Man do I hope that Fleury gets back soon. I don't know how much longer I can put up with this balogna

X-Terminator
12-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Another thing - why in the hell didn't MT put Crosby and Malkin together for the rest of the 3rd period after Prucha scored? Why does he only wait until the team is behind to do that? You just gave up a goal and another lead in the 3rd - why not put your best 2 players on the ice to try and get it back? I'm not a fan of his constant line juggling or playing Crosby and Malkin together for a whole game, but late in the 3rd in a tie game - put your best weapons out there to try to get a goal. Play to WIN, not to lose!

SCM - this crap was happening when MAF was in goal. It didn't just start happening with Sabourin - it's been a problem all season long. Don't want to think this far ahead, but how in God's name do they expect to do ANYTHING in the playoffs if they can't hold a f'ing lead??? Damn I'm PISSED!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Another thing - why in the hell didn't MT put Crosby and Malkin together for the rest of the 3rd period after Prucha scored? Why does he only wait until the team is behind to do that? You just gave up a goal and another lead in the 3rd - why not put your best 2 players on the ice to try and get it back? I'm not a fan of his constant line juggling or playing Crosby and Malkin together for a whole game, but late in the 3rd in a tie game - put your best weapons out there to try to get a goal. Play to WIN, not to lose!

SCM - this crap was happening when MAF was in goal. It didn't just start happening with Sabourin - it's been a problem all season long. Don't want to think this far ahead, but how in God's name do they expect to do ANYTHING in the playoffs if they can't hold a f'ing lead??? Damn I'm PISSED!!!

You got that right. But Fleury at least hasn't had 1 night that's he's given up all 3 goals in a SO. Good news is that it's a 2nd Overtime in the playoffs, not a shootout in the post-season.

Fire Haley
12-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Problem was, only Sid showed up, Malkin was invisible and Satan was horrible, both were turning the puck over.

But, they still had lots of good scoring chances, the puck just didn't find the net. It happens.

Dany boy screwed the pooch in the shoot-out though, that's for sure. We'll take the point.

Word on the street is Fleury has a torn groin, out at least a month.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Problem was, only Sid showed up, Malkin was invisible and Satan was horrible, both were turning the puck over.

But, they still had lots of good scoring chances, the puck just didn't find the net. It happens.

Dany boy screwed the pooch in the shoot-out though, that's for sure. We'll take the point.

Word on the street is Fleury has a torn groin, out at least a month.

I don't understand why in the hell Goligoski was NOT in the Shootout lineup.

X-Terminator
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=396093

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forwards Chris Minard and Janne Pesonen from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Minard has appeared in two games with Pittsburgh this season on Oct. 30 and Nov. 1. The 6-1, 190-pound forward currently ranks second in the AHL with 30 points (17 goals, 13 assists) and is tied for the league lead in goals (17). Minard leads the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins in goals and points, while posting a plus-six rating.

The 27-year old played 15 games with Pittsburgh in 2007-08, registering two points, his first goal and assist in the NHL. Minard collected 42 points (25 goals, 17 assists) along with 33 penalty minutes in 56 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton last season. He also contributed 17 points (11 goals, six assists) and 10 penalty minutes in 23 playoff games, helping the WBS Penguins reach the Calder Cup Finals.
The Owen Sound, Ontario native signed with the Penguins on July 17, 2007.

Pesonen, 26, has appeared in three games this season for Pittsburgh, including his NHL debut on November 1 in a 6-3 victory over St. Louis. He has played 20 games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, leading the team in assists (16) and ranking third with 21 points (five goals, 16 assists). In the preseason with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pesonen scored two points in three appearances.
The 5-11, 180-pound forward led the Finnish Elite League last season, recording 78 points (34 goals, 44 assists) in 56 games with the Oulu Karpat. He contributed 16 points (seven goals, nine assists) during the postseason, helping lead Karpat to its fifth league championship.

Pesonen, appeared in six contests for the Finnish National Team during the 2007-08 campaign. He played three games at the 2007 Karjala Cup, scoring one goal and also played in three games during the Sweden Hockey Games, posting three points (one goal, two assists) and six penalty minutes.

The native of Suomussalmi, Finland was originally drafted by the Anaheim Ducks in the ninth round (269th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Pesonen signed with the Penguins as a free agent July 7, 2008.

Evidently they were called up because both Mike Zigomanis and Tyler Kennedy went down with injuries last night, which I didn't even realize since I was watching the game with the sound muted. Ziggy might go tonight, but TK is definitely out. Great, just what we need - more injuries. :banging:

BTW Killer - I've heard that Fleury was going to be back next week. So who knows what the deal is? :noidea:

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Danny is starting. And so far finding a way to shut me up.

12 Shots
12 Saves

Pens Lead 2-0 at 1st Int.

steelpride12
12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Pens have a dominate game tonight and a strong win.
Sykora Congrats on 100 PP goals as he rack up two nice ones tonight.
Sabo played on fire again, and Sid had 4 assist and a goal.
Team looked good tonight and the injuries to TK and Zigomanis hopefully are not serious, that is a blow to the third line.

RunWillieRun
12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Great to be at the RBC center down here in raleigh to see the a Pens win.

SOOO many pens fans in attendance...I would say ~1/3 pens fans.

LETS GO PENS!!

pittsburghp8baller
12-05-2008, 11:08 PM
TK out at least for a month

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=396385

The Pittsburgh Penguins forward Tyler Kennedy will miss four to six weeks with a sprained knee, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Kennedy suffered the injury on December 3 against the New York Rangers and has been placed on injured reserve.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Great to be at the RBC center down here in raleigh to see the a Pens win.

SOOO many pens fans in attendance...I would say ~1/3 pens fans.

LETS GO PENS!!

Like their brothers at 100 Art Rooney Ave.

THEIR FANS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!

steelpride12
12-06-2008, 10:18 AM
TK out at least for a month

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=396385

Shoot that's a tough shot at our productive third line. Lets hope Zigomanis will be back soon if not today, but having TK out will be tough to overcome these next few week.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Shoot that's a tough shot at our productive third line. Lets hope Zigomanis will be back soon if not today, but having TK out will be tough to overcome these next few week.

Sometimes the greatest teams must overcome the greatest challenges

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 01:48 PM
0-0 End of 1st Period.

Fire Haley
12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Dany boy pooped his pants. 0-1

Stay in the net where you belong.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
They now trail 3-1 going into the 3rd.

X-Terminator
12-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I STILL hate afternoon games - they should get rid of them for good. The Pens never seem to play well in them. Here was their chance to move within 2 points of the Rags, and they blew it thanks to a fluke goal off Kris Letang's skate.

Oh and Kris - when you're wide open in the high slot like you were at the end of the game, for the love of God, HIT THE NET!!! He has all the talent in the world, but can't hit the net on a clear shot to save his life. I think he would have beaten Auld had he done so. I still think he's going to be a very good defenseman, but what good is having a great shot if you can't get it on goal?

And Jason Spezza would have to score all 3 goals for Ottawa - I wish someone would spear him in the mouth. I hate that big-headed prick.

steelpride12
12-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Ugh tough loss for the Pens today as Spezza was getting all the luck in the world and burying all of his shots.
Shorthanded goal was nice and i can't blame the last goal on Sabo for Letang's skate being in the way. Just one of those teams the Pens cant fall behind against.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Gotta shut spezza down next game.

X-Terminator
12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
You know, I'm about ready to throw my hands in the air. This team does not know how to play with a lead, they can't score on a 2 minute 5-on-3, and they don't know what a 60 minute game is. It's ridiculous, and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

Get your shit together, Pens!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
HOW ABOUT STARTING CURRY. This is the 3rd straight game with Sabu in the net that this shit has happened. Sabourin needs benched for Curry.

X-Terminator
12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
And there you have it, folks. Yet another come-from-ahead loss brought to you by the absolute worst f'ing team in the league with a lead.

I think it's time for MT to go on a rampage and dish out some public humiliation to his team. This bullshit has gone on long enough, and I'm at the point now where I have ZERO confidence in them when they get ahead. ZERO. I can only imagine how he feels about it.

pittsburghp8baller
12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
ive said it once and ill say it again- Sabo isnt some1 that can play on a regular basis. he is a BACKUP, some1 that comes in once a week or so to give ur starter a break. defense didnt help either with the turnovers, this is really getting stupid not being able to play with a lead. dont know what it is gonna take, prob another MT public bashing.

on a plus side, that was a great game played by my boy Letang tonite, finally getting his first goal of the season! hopefully more is to come soon

X-Terminator
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
HOW ABOUT STARTING CURRY. This is the 3rd straight game with Sabu in the net that this shit has happened. Sabourin needs benched for Curry.

I wouldn't blame this one on Sabu - he was hung out to dry on 3 of those 4 goals. 2 were off blatant giveaways by Orpik and the game-winner by Vanek, THREE PLAYERS went toward Hecht along the wall, leaving Vanek and Pominville alone in front for a 2-on-1. A total brain cramp and completely inexcusable from a team playing for a coach that stresses defensive accountability. Satan also played like crap and has for the past month. Sykora was invisible again. Our defense overall has been horrendous, and obviously nobody back there other than Orpik knows what a "hit" is or "clearing the slot" means. I refuse to blame injuries - everyone has them, and it's up to the guys in the lineup to perform up to their capabilities. I'm not seeing it, and I know if I were MT, I'd be verbally reaming everyone in that locker room tonight.

Fire Haley
12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Their netminder was 10X better than anything we can put out there right now, but it should never have mattered. Can't clear the puck and leave it in front of your net and it spells doom.

They got sloppy with turnovers up 3-1 and blew that 5 on 3 PP. Lot of scrambles and scoring chances, but I knew they were done when they got behind. No magic this time.

I've seen enough of Satan though - whenever he gets the puck on the boards he loses it - every time. Put some fresh legs out there.

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't blame this one on Sabu - he was hung out to dry on 3 of those 4 goals. 2 were off blatant giveaways by Orpik and the game-winner by Vanek, THREE PLAYERS went toward Hecht along the wall, leaving Vanek and Pominville alone in front for a 2-on-1. A total brain cramp and completely inexcusable from a team playing for a coach that stresses defensive accountability. Satan also played like crap and has for the past month. Sykora was invisible again. Our defense overall has been horrendous, and obviously nobody back there other than Orpik knows what a "hit" is or "clearing the slot" means. I refuse to blame injuries - everyone has them, and it's up to the guys in the lineup to perform up to their capabilities. I'm not seeing it, and I know if I were MT, I'd be verbally reaming everyone in that locker room tonight.

Not to mention I'd like to see him do it IN FRONT OF THE MEDIA!!! Hopefully that pisses them off.

X-Terminator
12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Their netminder was 10X better than anything we can put out there right now, but it should never have mattered. Can't clear the puck and leave it in front of your net and it spells doom.

They got sloppy with turnovers up 3-1 and blew that 5 on 3 PP. Lot of scrambles and scoring chances, but I knew they were done when they got behind. No magic this time.

I've seen enough of Satan though - whenever he gets the puck on the boards he loses it - every time. Put some fresh legs out there.

It took that long? I knew they were done the second the Sabres scored to make it 3-2.

Satan constantly loses the puck along the boards because he is not strong on the puck whatsoever. He gets knocked off it way too easily. That has been one of the knocks on him his entire career. Good goal scorer, but that's really about it. He brings little else to the table.

RunWillieRun
12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Fire Therrien and Yeo...They need the keys to this team taken away from them.

The PP is pathetic.

There is no team system.

The same mistakes being made over and over....that spells bad coaching

pittsburghp8baller
12-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Fire Therrien and Yeo...They need the keys to this team taken away from them.

The PP is pathetic.

There is no team system.

The same mistakes being made over and over....that spells bad coaching

take a chill pill dude, MT and Yeo do NOT need to be fired. PP is still in the top half of the league and are without the best power play quarterback in the NHL and one of the best shooting d-men in ryan whitney. using injuries in the NHL isnt really a good case except when you look at the inexperience left with Gonchar and Whitney down. Goligoski and Letang are both good young offensive-defenseman but they are still young and need some more experience, which missing Gonchar and whitney are actually helping us in the long run. i think Letang's production has been hurt in the fact that he is being asked to play in all the aspects of the game but he has slowly gotten things going.

dont jump off the bridge just yet, Whitney isnt back either is Gonchar and we still got the trade deadline to address any needs. we still are 4th in the conference and 4 points behind the Rangers for the Atlantic lead WITH 3 games in hand, a win and two overtime losses ties us with them. wait until february to start edging towards the bridge, give it time it is a 82 game season.

X-Terminator
12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
BTW, Whitney is supposed to be back next week, and Fleury is 1-2 weeks away from returning. Good, because at this point we need all the help we can get.

And I agree, it's a little ridiculous to start calling for Therrien's head. However, you do have to be concerned about the repeated mistakes and the lackluster PP. Even with Whitney and Gonchar out, you still have the 2 best players in the world out there with a couple of decent snipers. There is no reason why this team isn't in the top 10 on the PP and a 5-on-3 shouldn't produce a goal 90% of the time.

pittsburghp8baller
12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
BTW, Whitney is supposed to be back next week, and Fleury is 1-2 weeks away from returning. Good, because at this point we need all the help we can get.

And I agree, it's a little ridiculous to start calling for Therrien's head. However, you do have to be concerned about the repeated mistakes and the lackluster PP. Even with Whitney and Gonchar out, you still have the 2 best players in the world out there with a couple of decent snipers. There is no reason why this team isn't in the top 10 on the PP and a 5-on-3 shouldn't produce a goal 90% of the time.

thats true, but we cant have the two best players in the world out there every PP all PP and even if we could they cant play ALL 5 positions on the ice. we need the other three on the ice with them to capalize on the opportunities given to them by Sid and Geno. things like GoGo ringing one off the post, Satan never being able to hold the puck along the boards or Staal being semi-effective in front of the net. i dont even agree with Malkin still being at the point, he turns the puck over too much and gets caught up ice too much. i say put Gogo at the point, Malkin at the left circle to shoot, Letang at the right circle, Crosby roams behind the goal line side-to-side, and i guess Staal or Cooke maybe Tank in front of the net to bang it home

pittsburghp8baller
12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Gill next guy down

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Hal Gill will miss two to four weeks with a shoulder injury, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Gill suffered the injury on December 6 at Ottawa during the third period.

at least lovejoy looked pretty good cause it looks like he will be paying alot

X-Terminator
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
thats true, but we cant have the two best players in the world out there every PP all PP and even if we could they cant play ALL 5 positions on the ice. we need the other three on the ice with them to capalize on the opportunities given to them by Sid and Geno. things like GoGo ringing one off the post, Satan never being able to hold the puck along the boards or Staal being semi-effective in front of the net. i dont even agree with Malkin still being at the point, he turns the puck over too much and gets caught up ice too much. i say put Gogo at the point, Malkin at the left circle to shoot, Letang at the right circle, Crosby roams behind the goal line side-to-side, and i guess Staal or Cooke maybe Tank in front of the net to bang it home

I have never agreed with having Malkin at the point precisely for the reasons you described. Even though they're young, put Letang and GoGo at the points - at least they are defensemen who know when to pinch/jump into the play and when to back off. I wouldn't be all that comfortable with GoGo at the top of the umbrella though simply because he panics at times when he's pressured and is prone to turning it over. At this point I'd take that chance. And Staal absolutely should be in the middle and in front of the net - you'd like to think after 2 years of watching Malone and Roberts, he'd know exactly what to do and how to use his body to cause havoc in front of the goalie. They have to do something, because what they're doing now clearly isn't working.

As for Gill being down...ugh. They're going to have 2 rookies and a 2nd-year D-man playing major minutes. That spells disaster. It definitely looks like they're going to get pretty close to the number of man-games lost due to injury that they had last year. :banging:

pittsburghp8baller
12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I have never agreed with having Malkin at the point precisely for the reasons you described. Even though they're young, put Letang and GoGo at the points - at least they are defensemen who know when to pinch/jump into the play and when to back off. I wouldn't be all that comfortable with GoGo at the top of the umbrella though simply because he panics at times when he's pressured and is prone to turning it over. At this point I'd take that chance. And Staal absolutely should be in the middle and in front of the net - you'd like to think after 2 years of watching Malone and Roberts, he'd know exactly what to do and how to use his body to cause havoc in front of the goalie. They have to do something, because what they're doing now clearly isn't working.

As for Gill being down...ugh. They're going to have 2 rookies and a 2nd-year D-man playing major minutes. That spells disaster. It definitely looks like they're going to get pretty close to the number of man-games lost due to injury that they had last year. :banging:

hopefully Whitney will be back by next week to give us a little more experience on the blue line (wow, never i thought id say that).

the only reason i thought GoGo should be at the top so than we can use Letang's right-handyness for one timers. if Boucher were healthy i would say put him at the top or shooting position and move Gogo to the second PP. Letang would be ideal for the top of the umbrella because of his defensive abilities but without another right hander we would be limited to our shooting angles to one side. with letang on the circle it might make the PKers to spread out cause they have to cover one-timers from both sides of the ice and leave more room for Staal to cause trouble in front of the net

Fire Haley
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Letang is looking good but Eaton sucks.

With the current injuries and the fact that we've got some time before playoff season I don't think it's a bad idea to give Lovejoy a try. I hope they start to give Pesonen a little more ice time too.

We need some more size to the line-up.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oe-kmg4CfhI/STyIgsLH4hI/AAAAAAAAAFw/Yn1DH-cbZlA/s200/Profile+Picture.jpg

Lovejoy
6'2" and 214 Lbs.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Hallelujah! I am get so irritated of having to watch Sabourin give up easy goal after easy goal. I'm really stunned he hasn't used Curry more often.

pittsburghp8baller
12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Hallelujah! I am get so irritated of having to watch Sabourin give up easy goal after easy goal. I'm really stunned he hasn't used Curry more often.

me too, especially playing 3 games in four days. i could understand him playing Sabo back to back and then rest him for the Ottawa game or just alternating them but to play him 4 times in less than a week is a little weird

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
me too, especially playing 3 games in four days. i could understand him playing Sabo back to back and then rest him for the Ottawa game or just alternating them but to play him 4 times in less than a week is a little weird

Sabu is nothing more then a back up goalie at best. He's not built to be a starter.

pittsburghp8baller
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Sabu is nothing more then a back up goalie at best. He's not built to be a starter.

ive been saying that since last year, i have complete faith in him coming in once a week or so and give fleury a break but long term im not sold on him

pittsburghp8baller
12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
its about time

Crosby, Malkin Rank 1-2 in All-Star Voting
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=397191

Thanks to a dramatic surge by Penguins fans at the digital ballot box, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin now rank 1-2 in fan voting to start at forward for the Eastern Conference in the NHL All-Star Game Jan. 25 in Montreal.

As of Wednesday morning, Crosby is the top vote-getter among all NHL players and leads Eastern Conference forwards with 638,945 votes. Malkin is second with 567,371, and Saku Koivu of the Montreal Canadiens is third with 560,973. The top three vote-getters will start at forward for the East.

Just one week ago, Crosby and Malkin were fourth and fifth in the voting, trailing three Montreal players. Canadiens players were staked to large early voting leads at all six Eastern Conference positions.

Fan balloting continues through Jan. 2 and results are available in real-time at www.nhl.com. Fans may vote online or by text message. Penguins fans can vote for all Penguins players on the ballot by texting PENS to 81812. Normal text message rates apply.

Malkin leads the NHL in scoring with 45 points and Crosby is second with 41.

X-Terminator
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Justice served. It would have been a complete joke had the Canadiens gotten all 3 forward positions filled with marginal players. Kovalev and Tanguay??? Come on! None of those guys even deserve to start over Alexander Semin, and he hasn't played in over a month.

Speaking of which, it's just as big a joke for Gonchar and Whitney to be so close among defensemen when neither have played a game this season. The NHL seriously needs to take a look at their voting system next season and not include players they know are injured and will be out for at least the first 1/3 of the season.

pittsburghp8baller
12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Justice served. It would have been a complete joke had the Canadiens gotten all 3 forward positions filled with marginal players. Kovalev and Tanguay??? Come on! None of those guys even deserve to start over Alexander Semin, and he hasn't played in over a month.

Speaking of which, it's just as big a joke for Gonchar and Whitney to be so close among defensemen when neither have played a game this season. The NHL seriously needs to take a look at their voting system next season and not include players they know are injured and will be out for at least the first 1/3 of the season.

well you have to have at least 20 games played to be able to play in the all-star game. so Gonchar, Whitney and most likely Komisarek will not be able to particpate in the all-star game and they all three are 2,3,4 i think or all in the top 5. even though mike green has missed a couple of weeks he should def be a starter, and maybe even mark streit should be up there too. markov and price are the only two reasonable canadiens up there.

and most leagues voting system are flawed, as all are popularity contest.

Pittsburghfan
12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
How does "Consol Energy Arena" sound to you guys?

Like it or not it will be the name of the new arena.
http://kdka.com/sports/penguins/Consol.Energy.arena.2.884539.html

steelpride12
12-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Don't matter to me as long as my Pens are there playing any name sounds good to me. Whit back in a week sounds great he will get a standing ovation we miss him.

As far as Eaton goes he def. does not suck and before his season ending injury was one of our best defense men behind Gonch and Whitney. It will take him alot of time to get back to full strength and the same will go with Whitney and Gonchar so don't be surprised if they make little impact on the Pens for awhile.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM

I'm thinking more like Consol Energy Center should be the name.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
WHY IN THE HELL IS COACH THERRIEN STILL STARTING SABOURIN??? This move makes no sense. Over 90% of the goals he's given up in the past 3 going on 4 games have been SOFT GOALS!!!!

PUT IN CURRY!!!

X-Terminator
12-10-2008, 08:28 PM
In fairness to Sabourin, the last 2 were deflected in. At any rate, I'm starting to get more than a bit concerned about the team. I will not use injuries as an excuse - everyone needs to get their heads out of their asses and start performing better. It's getting ridiculous now.

As for the arena naming rights, Consol Energy Center/Arena sounds so friggin lame. But what shocks me is that they beat out UPMC, who, as anyone who lives in the Pittsburgh area can verify, pretty much owns the region and has oodles of cash. Highmark and BNY Mellon are also rumored to be in the running - if so, then BNY Mellon probably dropped out after the Wall Street crisis hit.

pittsburghp8baller
12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
wow, i guess im glad i missed the game then. Sabo starting still im not sure why. mabye we are trying to bump up his trade stock? who knows, at this point he is only hurting it. there is only one person who knows why Sabo is still in and that is MT himself.

X-Terminator
12-10-2008, 09:04 PM
wow, i guess im glad i missed the game then. Sabo starting still im not sure why. mabye we are trying to bump up his trade stock? who knows, at this point he is only hurting it. there is only one person who knows why Sabo is still in and that is MT himself.

Yep - time to give John Curry the nod. Sabourin was good for a while, but now he isn't. But like I said, 2 of the goals tonight weren't really his fault. The first one, however, was a completely boneheaded move. How do you let the puck come off the boards right back in front of the net like that???

Anyway, my Mom always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all, so this will be my last comment on tonight's game. Onward to the Isles.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Yep - time to give John Curry the nod. Sabourin was good for a while, but now he isn't. But like I said, 2 of the goals tonight weren't really his fault. The first one, however, was a completely boneheaded move. How do you let the puck come off the boards right back in front of the net like that???

Anyway, my Mom always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all, so this will be my last comment on tonight's game. Onward to the Isles.

Yep, time for me to hold back an Sabo Bashings until the next time the need to vent comes.

Fire Haley
12-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Dany boy should be chained in his cage.

Let the puck handlers handle the puck!!
Leave the puck alone!!!!!!!!!!

...and the PP?
SHOOT THE PUCK! - why don't they listen to me?

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2008, 07:03 PM
great start 2-0. great pass from crosby to set up the satan goal.

and the power play is looking GREAT!!! great movement and plenty of shooting

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
is Godard hurt? i havent heard anything on him but i have noticed he wasnt in the lineup last night either?

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
4-1 after the first! 19 shots by the Pens. now we CAN NOT let up. add four more each period and beat down the islanders

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Appears that my wish is playing out pretty well right now.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
PETER SYKORA!!!!!!!!!!! its bout time he nets his first hat trick.

let down doesnt seem unlikely tonight.

T.Richardson
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Holy crap! 7-1.

Whatever happened to Fluery? I dont watch the Pens much, but I root for them since they are a home town team.

pittsburghp8baller
12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Holy crap! 7-1.

Whatever happened to Fluery? I dont watch the Pens much, but I root for them since they are a home town team.

fleury is out with an undisclosed injury and has been out for a couple of weeks

T.Richardson
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
That sucks...hopefully he will come back.

its 8-1...wow!

Fire Haley
12-12-2008, 05:07 AM
9-2 Curry is our lucky charm

I was just waiting for some thug to swing a stick at one of our players - I know they wanted to. I switched to the Isles broadcast halfway through the game - they had some pretty good stories to fill the time of a runaway.

"We want 10, we want 10"

That was an awesome game.

HometownGal
12-12-2008, 07:15 AM
XT and I were at the game last night and it was a bonafide ass-kickin'! :applaudit: The Pens came out firing and didn't let up the entire game. Curry was good in goal and until Fleurry comes back, I think he should be the starter in net. The Islanders stunk about as bad as I've seem a team stink this season.

Kudos to the entire team, but especially to Sykora and Dupuis on getting their first NHL hat tricks! :drink:

steelpride12
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Curry did a hell of a job last night to hold them to 2 goals, but the defense and whole team played well to limit the shot totals.

Pens showed they were not gonna let a 3 game losing skid ruin their early season hopes with injuries and Hats off to Sykora for his first ever hat trick as well as Dupuis.

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2008, 03:47 PM
XT and I were at the game last night and it was a bonafide ass-kickin'! :applaudit: The Pens came out firing and didn't let up the entire game. Curry was good in goal and until Fleurry comes back, I think he should be the starter in net. The Islanders stunk about as bad as I've seem a team stink this season.

Kudos to the entire team, but especially to Sykora and Dupuis on getting their first NHL hat tricks! :drink:

I've been calling for Curry to start, and look what happened. I say start him until Fleury comes back. He does something that Sabu doesn't. That is, HE FORCES TEAMS TO EARN THEIR GOALS.

HometownGal
12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I've been calling for Curry to start, and look what happened. I say start him until Fleury comes back. He does something that Sabu doesn't. That is, HE FORCES TEAMS TO EARN THEIR GOALS.

Yep and I love his style of play. He stays up and doesn't drop to the butterfly, which is the way NHL goalies played in the late 70's and 80's. He is going to be Fleury's backup eventually so why not let him get the experience and time sooner instead of later? I think he's more than proven that he deserves that shot. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Yep and I love his style of play. He stays up and doesn't drop to the butterfly, which is the way NHL goalies played in the late 70's and 80's. He is going to be Fleury's backup eventually so why not let him get the experience and time sooner instead of later? I think he's more than proven that he deserves that shot. :thumbsup:

Yes, Curry really played well last night - I was pretty impressed. He and Chris Minard were demoted today, though, because Fleury is back and will get the start tomorrow against the Cryers:

Following this mornings practice the Pittsburgh Penguins have re-assigned goaltender John Curry and forward Chris Minard to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL). Goaltender Marc Andre Fleury will be active for Saturday afternoon's game against the Philadelphia Flyers.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...nd-curry/4678/

It looks like they will be getting Ziggy back as well, and thank God because the Pens have been getting hosed in faceoffs lately. Good also to see Godard is going to play tomorrow - they will definitely need his muscle in the lineup if those cheapshot bastards out east decide to start crap. But of course, we get one guy back and another one goes down - Talbot's hurt again:

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Maxime Talbot did not practice Friday and will not play in Philadelphia Saturday afternoon. Talbot left Thursday's game with a injury in the third period. Forward Mike Zigomanis is hopeful that he will be able to play against Philadelphia. Zigomanis is expected to center Jeff Taffe and Eric Godard who has been a healthy scratch for the past two games

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...o-return/4684/

Talbot is also the subject of trade rumors, going to the Oilers in exchange for Rob Schremp. Schremp was a highly touted forward prospect coming out of juniors several years ago (I think he was drafted the same year as Crosby) but has never gotten a chance in the NHL despite being a very gifted player largely due to his attitude - he's known as arrogant and c0cky, and mails in his efforts on way too many nights. I'm sure that would go over well with MT...like a bad toothache.

X-Terminator
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
BTW Marianne - remember when we talked about the good old days of the NHL, when it truly was a man's sport, after the game last night? Well, here's a little tidbit from back then - a bench-clearing brawl at the end of a game between the Pens and Bruins in February of 1987, a few months after I began following the sport. I'm sure you'll remember a few of the guys involved:

3yKL5EmYS2A

pittsburghp8baller
12-13-2008, 05:14 AM
ah, the good oh days, oh wait i wasnt quite alive for that one.

Talbot out is gonna hurt, as crosby is out another winger but dupuis getting hot he can close the gap. i think he had been playing with sid anyways so thats good. we are def gonna miss his grit and energy against philly today. Ziggy's return is gonna help big time, any1 notice that since he has been out thats when we went through our little runt? maybe it was the bad defense or it was the fact we rarely started with the puck in our zone? i noticed that without Godard in the lineup we got pushed around a little easier, i know that no1 on the Pens likes to get pushed around and all will push back but the bigger guys seemed to be taking advantage without another big guy in our lineup so im sure Godard will be looking for some1 to show that we wont be taking any crap today

hate to see Fleury get thrown back against the wolves but that is why he gets paid the big bucks so i got faith in him.

Schremp was drafted late in the first the year OV and Geno were drafted ('04). he scored 53 points in 69 games with the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Baby Penguins in 06-07 and then 76 points in Springfield his second season. has 3 assists in 4 games this year. As a player and has hard as it would be for me to let go of talbot because i love his energy and grit it seems like a good trade, we have plenty of other energy guys in WBS that can fill the fourth line if needed. Schremp can play LW and on Sid's line and give him a proven scorer at each level he has played for a cheap price.

but as for his attitude, ill pass he would prob end up being a HS most nights. im sure MT could straighten him out, he is only 22 and maybe playing with Sid will shut him up and make him play hard every night as his numbers sky rocket

steelpride12
12-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Pens losing 3-1 in the second as Sabo just has not shown up at all today and is hurting out chances.
Goals from: Staal

SteelCityMan786
12-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Penguins trail 6-3. I guess either way, they have to get some good mojo going into Thursdays game. Thank God they do not have another game until then. They need the R&R

steelpride12
12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Tough loss today looks like the injures are too much to overcome and all the players we are missing mean so much for the team. Gill is a solid defense men who is not the fastest but can stand any player up.
Kennedy is the heart and speed of the third line and without him the line does not have the same intensity. Finally Zigomanis without his draw skills the Pens lack in that category big time.
Fluery as well as Whitney are due back in around a week and once everyone is healthy other than Gonch the Pens will get their game close to peak performance.

X-Terminator
12-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Sounds like your typical afternoon game for the Pens - come out, stink up the joint and lose badly. Glad I missed it.

SteelCityMan786
12-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Sounds like your typical afternoon game for the Pens - come out, stink up the joint and lose badly. Glad I missed it.

You summed it all up.

steelpride12
12-15-2008, 03:06 PM
He is scheduled to play Thursday.

Penguins Report: Fleury Ready to Go
Sam Kasan
Dec 12, 2008, 1:29 PM EST

Fleury
Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury has been given a clean bill of health and is ready and able to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“I’m happy to be at practice with the guys and now to be able to play with them,” Fleury said. “The trainers have helped me recover. I feel good.”

The Penguins have re-assigned goalie John Curry, meaning that Fleury will either start in Pittsburgh’s Saturday afternoon matchup with the Philadelphia Flyers at 1 p.m. or he will backup Dany Sabourin.

“He hasn’t said yet who will be playing tomorrow,” Fleury said. “Whatever the coach wants me to do.”

Head coach Michel Therrien wasn’t ready to reveal his plans on who the starting goalkeeper will be.

(Therrien) hasn’t said yet who will be playing tomorrow. Whatever the coach wants me to do. - Marc-Andre Fleury
“He’s available,” Therrien said of Fleury. “I don’t have to answer today and that’s a good thing. We’re glad that Marc-Andre is ready to play but we’ll see (Saturday).”

Fleury has been sidelined since suffering an undisclosed injury Nov. 15 against the Buffalo Sabres. He’s been skating for a couple weeks and returned to practice on Tuesday.

“I’ve been out so long,” Fleury said. “It’s been good the last week or so. I’m trying to get back into game shape for when the coach needs me.”

> Only two players were missing from Penguins Friday afternoon practice at Southpointe. Evgeni Malkin took the day off to rest while Max Talbot is listed as day-to-day with an undisclosed injury.

“We’re not sure Max can’t play (Saturday at Philadelphia),” Therrien said. “We’ll see.”

> Instead of holding a normal practice, the Penguins partook in a game of baseball. Baseball is a competitive concoction of Therrien’s to give the players a good workout while inciting their competitive juices.

* Consol Energy Center Press Conference
* Consol Energy Center Fly Through (12/15/08)
* Off-Day: Coach Therrien (12/12/08)
* Off-Day: Philippe Boucher (12/12/08)
* Off-Day: Sidney Crosby (12/12/08)

The Penguins were divided into four teams: Team Black featured Sidney Crosby, Pascal Dupuis, Matt Cooke, Jeff Taffe and Eric Godard; Team Grey featured Ryan Whitney, Petr Sykora, Miroslav Satan and Alex Goligoski; Team White featured Philippe Boucher, Mark Eaton, Rob Scuderi and Ruslan Fedotenko; Team Gold featured Kris Letang, Eric Staal, Tim Wallace and Brooks Orpik.

One team spreads out in front of a goalie (example Team Black). The other team (Team Grey) positions along the wall. One player from Team Grey (Miroslav Satan) flips the puck into the middle of the other team’s players. Satan then races from the goal line to blue line, to the far boards and back to the goal line. If Satan can reach the goal line before Team Black scores a goal on the goalie then Team Grey is awarded a home run. If Team Black scores before Satan reaches the goal line, then Satan is considered out.

In the first round Team Black beat Team Grey (Fleury in net) while Team White defeated Team Gold (Sabourin) in an upset. In the championship round, Team Black triumphed over Team White (Fleury).

> The Penguins announced earlier today that John Curry and Chris Minard were re-assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL.

Therrien was pleased with what he saw in Curry, who went 2-1-0 with a 2.40 goal against average and .913 save percentage during his short stint in Pittsburgh.

“It was a great experience for him,” Therrien said. “He’s a good kid. He battled hard. He’s got two wins in the NHL. It’s a big step for him comparing to last year. He’s going in the right direction.”

Therrien, however, was expecting more production from Minard, who ranked second in the AHL with 30 points (17G-13A) at the time of his recall.

“I was expecting a little bit more offensively because he was playing well in the minors,” Therrien said. “He’s got to go down with a good attitude and get another chance. In his next chance, he’ll know what to expect from us.

“One thing I want to make sure when players come in, it’s not only about being here but they have to contribute. This is what I’m expecting. I don’t want them being just happy to be in the NHL. They have to make sure that they contribute.”

I just wanted to put it on net and see what happens. I got lucky and it went in. - Philippe Boucher
> Philippe Boucher returned to the lineup for Pittsburgh in its 9-2 victory over the New York Islanders on Thursday night. He had been sidelined for nearly two weeks with an undisclosed injury.

“You come to a new team and you want to fit in and be a part of things,” Boucher said. “Then you miss a couple games. That’s part of the game. It’s hard. (Thursday) night was a good one to come back to.”

Boucher didn’t just come back. He scored his first goal as a Penguin in the game.

“I just wanted to put it on net and see what happens,” Boucher said. “I got lucky and it went in.”

HometownGal
12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Thank God Fleury will be back. :thumbsup: I thought Curry played very well and believe he has a bright future with the Pens.

Re: Phillipe Boucher - I really like what I'm seeing from this guy. Tough as nails and works hard every second he's on the ice. This was definitely a good acquisition imho. (Plus - he's smokin' HOT! :lust:)

pittsburghp8baller
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank God Fleury will be back. :thumbsup: I thought Curry played very well and believe he has a bright future with the Pens.

Re: Phillipe Boucher - I really like what I'm seeing from this guy. Tough as nails and works hard every second he's on the ice. This was definitely a good acquisition imho. (Plus - he's smokin' HOT! :lust:)

yea i agree, Curry is gonna be a very solid back-up come next season (or maybe we dangle Sabo as trade bait).

the boucher trade was def a win for us, a top 4 d-man for a healthy scratch player is plus in its own especially when that top 4 guy can play the power play and kill penaltys and then is a righty.

BTW, Sykora was named NHL's second star of the week
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=398218

X-Terminator
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
yea i agree, Curry is gonna be a very solid back-up come next season (or maybe we dangle Sabo as trade bait).

the boucher trade was def a win for us, a top 4 d-man for a healthy scratch player is plus in its own especially when that top 4 guy can play the power play and kill penaltys and then is a righty.

BTW, Sykora was named NHL's second star of the week
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=398218

Sabu's contract is up at the end of the season, and the Pens are likely going to let him go. Curry will be the backup next season for sure.

I also like the Boucher trade. I would like to see him be a little more physical though - that's one of his strengths, and Lord knows they can use someone on the blue line who'll throw a hit every now and then other than Orpik and sometimes Letang.

Congrats to Sykora for being named 2nd star of the week! Now let's hope he stays hot.

SteelCityMan786
12-15-2008, 08:26 PM
THANK GOD! Fleury will be a freakin blessing to see.

pittsburghp8baller
12-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Sabu's contract is up at the end of the season, and the Pens are likely going to let him go. Curry will be the backup next season for sure.

I also like the Boucher trade. I would like to see him be a little more physical though - that's one of his strengths, and Lord knows they can use someone on the blue line who'll throw a hit every now and then other than Orpik and sometimes Letang.

Congrats to Sykora for being named 2nd star of the week! Now let's hope he stays hot.

u dont think there are any chances we trade Sabu by the deadline? especially with how good curry has played? im sure there are a lot of teams who wouldnt mind having sabu and he could prob start for a few teams. and im sure there are some teams who would actually overpay for him too.

and i agree with you about Boucher, he has a big body use it!!!

steelpride12
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
u dont think there are any chances we trade Sabu by the deadline? especially with how good curry has played? im sure there are a lot of teams who wouldnt mind having sabu and he could prob start for a few teams. and im sure there are some teams who would actually overpay for him too.

and i agree with you about Boucher, he has a big body use it!!!

I wanna hear some opinions of people we will trade and possibly pick up by the trade dealine.

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Yes!

Penguins to pursue St. Louis?
TheFourthPeriod.com

Various reports surfaced this week claiming that the Tampa Bay Lightning might consider trading star winger Martin St. Louis in an effort to shed salary.

While St. Louis has not been approached by the club about the possibility of waiving his no-trade clause, it's believed the Lightning may turn up the heat on a potential move in the New Year.

If the Lightning attempt to trade St. Louis, a Pittsburgh-based source told TFP the Penguins will more than likely be among the teams extremely interested in acquiring the speedy sniper.

St. Louis is making $5.25 million per year on a contract that doesn't expire until after the 2010-11 season.

With defensemen Ryan Whitney and Sergei Gonchar on the long-term injury list (neither is expected to return for another month, at the earliest), the Penguins will save approximately $4 million to $4.5 million against the salary cap, given them enough room to accommodate St. Louis' salary.

The Penguins have been looking for a goal-scoring winger to play alongside Sidney Crosby. The team signed Miroslav Satan to a one-year deal in the off-season, and while he's produced fairly well, it hasn't been to the expectations of the Penguins.

The Lightning will undoubtedly want a top young player in return and could focus on Jordan Staal.

pittsburghp8baller
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I wanna hear some opinions of people we will trade and possibly pick up by the trade dealine.

there was a site that had five possible wingers for crosby that could be reasonable or have been rumored to be on the block. as soon as i find it ill post it but here are the five

1. Jonathan Cheechoo- has been injured most of year but has seen a decrease in production the last few years, mainly because he hasnt been playing with Joe Thornton. ive always thought he was overrated but playing with Crosby could make him play above himself again

2. Martin St. Louis- with Tampa going nowhere, again, they could try and dump salary and get younger for next year. from what i was reading, with whitney (not after this week) and Gonchar on IR it frees up some cap room for us to afford him, and im pretty sure he would be signed until either next year or the year after

3. Dany Heatley- he would have to be like Sabu/Whitney/prospect and/or draft pick as the Sens are desperate for a solid goalie for three/four years until they can draft and groom a young goalie. this would give us a top 5 goal scorer to go with the best playmaker in the NHL, match made in hockey heaven. the only thing is if we are willing to give up so much back-to-back years?

4. Martin Havlat- he came up last year as a possible winger for Crosby until we grabbed Hossa. great goal scorer but like Gaborik- he has a glass groin/hamstring and his own teammates say he refuses to play injured, which we all know that wouldnt go good with Sid.

5. Ilya Kovalchuk- he could be the prize of the deadline if the thrashers decide to move him. the only thing, he doesnt want to leave Atlanta. but this is a business and if the Thrashers feel it is best for the team to part ways with their superstar the pens could be one of the top teams looking for them. if we send them a couple of players look for instant chemistry for them as their are already four penguins on the team (Chris Thornburn, Erik Christensen, Colby Armstrong, Johan Hedberg)

6. Marian Gaborik- he has been rumored to be headed to either the Thrashers (which would throw the Kovalchuk deal out the window) or the Canadiens, but im pretty sure the Pens have the ammo to grab him, IF they wanted him. like Havlat, he has a known glass Groin and would be a risk and we may get him cheap if thats the case. the wide open style of the Pens, which open break the leash that Jacques Lemaire has on him might entice Gaborik to come to the Pens but like the other players on the list, would we be willing to pay for him?

now the top Penguins that could get moved ( all my opinion you can bash me as you will, but the players above were from a website i found and i jus threw my opinion on each player)

1. Dany Sabourin- He has mentioned that he eventually wants to be a starter elsewhere in the NHL and with the emergence of John Curry i think Sabourin has become tradable. im sure several teams would love to grab a goalie like Sabu and we could get a decent draft pick/prospect for him.

2. Ryan Whitney- If he is to get traded, it means we are about to get the dream winger for Sid. putting all of my dislike for whitney aside, of all our young defenseman that we have i think whitney is the most disposible. we have Letang, Goligoski and several other d-man in the AHL/Juniors/College. Trade Whitney, only if it means getting a top NHL winger in return.

3. Maxime Talbot- i only include him because after hearing about the possible Talbot for Schremp deal, i got to thinking... If we could get a young a decent goal scorer for Max Talbot should we? This last week we have shown we have plenty of 3rd/4th line energy players (Taffe, Wallace, James, Minard and Stone and a few others are still in the AHL who havent gotten the call yet).

4. Jordan Staal- This one is probably gonna get the most Boo's but remember, im looking at this as an outside observer, not as a Pens fan. At some point, most likely right after the all-star break, Shero is gonna have to make a very bold decision. Does he trade the first draft pick he made has the Pens GM or does he wait till the off-season and risk losing him hoping Staal takes the home town discount? Another question is, can the pens compete long term with $20+ million invested into centers? thats all im gonna say bout Staal, just those questions, if Shero says no to either than maybe trading Staal would make a little (very little) sense

5. Phillipe Boucher- i always thought that if Boucher played well enough we can flip him into decent trade bait. but the selling price would probably have to be low so it all depends how much Shero likes the guy, we could probably get a 3-5 round draft pick or a back-end prospect or both. Colorado and Phoenix come to mind who could probably use him in the west (dont like the idea of trading some1 inside the conference) with columbus also their if they can stay close in the playoff race

thats my rant bash all you will, because i doubt we move any of these players and actually hope we dont trade any of them cause they have all contributed a lot to the team

pittsburghp8baller
12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes!

Penguins to pursue St. Louis?
TheFourthPeriod.com

Various reports surfaced this week claiming that the Tampa Bay Lightning might consider trading star winger Martin St. Louis in an effort to shed salary.

While St. Louis has not been approached by the club about the possibility of waiving his no-trade clause, it's believed the Lightning may turn up the heat on a potential move in the New Year.

If the Lightning attempt to trade St. Louis, a Pittsburgh-based source told TFP the Penguins will more than likely be among the teams extremely interested in acquiring the speedy sniper.

St. Louis is making $5.25 million per year on a contract that doesn't expire until after the 2010-11 season.

With defensemen Ryan Whitney and Sergei Gonchar on the long-term injury list (neither is expected to return for another month, at the earliest), the Penguins will save approximately $4 million to $4.5 million against the salary cap, given them enough room to accommodate St. Louis' salary.

The Penguins have been looking for a goal-scoring winger to play alongside Sidney Crosby. The team signed Miroslav Satan to a one-year deal in the off-season, and while he's produced fairly well, it hasn't been to the expectations of the Penguins.

The Lightning will undoubtedly want a top young player in return and could focus on Jordan Staal.

this is where i got the St. Louis thing, i tried to post it but when i went to it said i wasnt signed in so i decided to not post it. i was gonna say that we try and get him, until i saw Staal name.

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
. i was gonna say that we try and get him, until i saw Staal name.

I bet you wouldn't have said that a month ago. He was pretty shaky out of the gate.

I think we can deal someone else besides him to spice up the deal, though.

Do it!

Do it!

pittsburghp8baller
12-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I bet you wouldn't have said that a month ago. He was pretty shaky out of the gate.

I think we can deal someone else besides him to spice up the deal, though.

Do it!

Do it!

even though, i always thought that he was better off playing the third line center than playing more minutes on the wing on the top 2, and behold once Staal moved down we broke lose.

if im going to give up a future selke winner, i want more than a 33 year old winger who went from 43-goal scorer to 25 goals in one year and is only on pace for around the same this year.

if im trading Staal, im going for it all- Heatley, Gaborik, Kovalchuk

Fire Haley
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
That's one reason why I love hockey - blockbuster trades DO happen!

I believe my rooting to get Hossa at the deadline was the dustflake that tipped the balance in our favor.

I need me a new stud to pimp, I'm gettin' that itch again.

X-Terminator
12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Don't like it, especially not for Staal. I'd better see Kovalchuk in black and gold if they're going to trade Staal.

SteelCityMan786
12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't like it, especially not for Staal. I'd better see Kovalchuk in black and gold if they're going to trade Staal.

The only person I really want to see gone from that mix is Sabu.

pittsburghp8baller
12-16-2008, 04:09 PM

pretty much what i was saying, doubt the Sens want to invest in another center, and dont want a 30-something on his way down right winger or injury-prone forwards, which one apparently wont play while injured.

like i said i actually hope no1 moves, except Sabu, with Curry showing that he can be a serviceable back-up might as well get something out of Sabu

steelpride12
12-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Cheecho as well as St. Louis would be a smart choice for the Pens. Cheecho being injured is a quiet player would could go without much drama, and St. Louis is another Max Talbot who is the speedy, energetic type who can give any team that burst they need.

pittsburghp8baller
12-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Penguins Recall Taffe, Stone
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=398588

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forwards Jeff Taffe and Ryan Stone to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Taffe tallied one assist in three games on his previous stint with Pittsburgh. He began the season with the Pittsburgh Penguins appearing in one game on Oct. 4. The 27-year old ranks second on the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with 29 points (14 goals, 15 assists) and a plus-8 rating in 25 games this season.

The 6-3, 215-pound forward played 45 games with Pittsburgh last season, scoring 12 points (five goals, seven assists) along with eight penalty minutes. Taffe registered 21 points (11 goals, 10 assists) and 22 penalty minutes in 27 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2007-08. He has played 149 career games in the NHL over parts of five seasons with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Phoenix Coyotes and New York Rangers, tallying 41 points (20 goals, 21 assists) along with 36 penalty minutes.

The native of Hastings, Minnesota was originally drafted by St. Louis in the first round (30th overall) of the 2000 Entry Draft. He signed with the Penguins as a free agent on July 13, 2007.

Stone, 23, has registered 18 points (six goals, 12 assists) in 28 games for Wilkes-Barre, ranking fourth on the team. His 47 penalty minutes also rank fourth among the Penguins.

The Calgary, Alberta native played six games over three stints with the Penguins during the 2007-08 season. He made his NHL debut on January 10th vs. Tampa Bay and registered his first NHL point on March 12th vs. Buffalo. The 6-2, 207-pound forward tallied 39 points (11 goals, 28 assists) and 129 penalty minutes in 65 games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL) during the 2007-08 season. He was sixth on the club in scoring and tied for third in assists.

Stone also appeared in all 23 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as the team advanced to the Calder Cup Finals. He scored 17 points (five goals, 12 assists) and led the team with a plus-nine rating in the postseason.

Stone was originally selected by the Penguins in the second round (32nd overall) in the 2003 NHL Draft. He has played three seasons in the AHL for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton recording 108 points (32 goals, 76 assists) and 324 penalty minutes in 181 games. Stone has also played 44 playoff games, registering 33 points (11 goals, 22 assists) and 66 penalty minutes.

X-Terminator
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Penguins Recall Taffe, Stone
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=398588

About friggin time they recalled Stone. He will definitely add some much-needed grit and toughness to the team. I'm liking the 4th line of Wallace-Stone-Godard - they will certainly knock some heads!

Fire Haley
12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Pens play Thrashers tomorrow night.

They still got front row seats on the glass behind the Pens bench - who wants to go?

pittsburghp8baller
12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
About friggin time they recalled Stone. He will definitely add some much-needed grit and toughness to the team. I'm liking the 4th line of Wallace-Stone-Godard - they will certainly knock some heads!

yea was waiting for when he would get the call. that fourth line is def gonna be bringing the pain

steelpride12
12-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Worried about our injuries. I miss Gill, Kennedy as well as Talbot. We need those energy guys for our offense and Gill for the rock solid D.

pittsburghp8baller
12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
not even 5 minutes in and the Stone/Godard combo already getting in the thrashers faces. liking that and how flower has looked in his first couple of saves

steelpride12
12-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Pens with injuries looking good and most importantly on the PP with 2 PP goals as the Pens are leading 4 to2 in the second.
Goals from Cooke, Malkin(2), and Satan the last two coming on back to back PP's.

steelpride12
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Flower flashing the glove and his timing back already is doing a pretty good job keeping the Pens up. Great to have him back!

steelpride12
12-18-2008, 07:20 PM
GOOALLLL! Boucher!!!
This defense men one was good pick up for the Pens as he brings offense to our PP as well as the 5 on 5. Plus he brings size to the defense with him and Gill being the rock D.

steelpride12
12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
The Pens will win with 4 minutes remaining, but lets be thankful we are playing the thrashers. We have made ample mistakes and our puck management is terrible with at lest 5 turnovers in the Pens zone.

X-Terminator
12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Good re-signing, but you have to wonder about his injury problems the last 2 years. When he's healthy, the guy is all heart and brings it every single night.

Great news about Whitney as well - he'll be a sight for sore eyes, believe me. It'll take him a bit to get into game-shape, but once he does, I hope he gets back to the way he played in 06-07 and grew some balls in the process. He plays too soft for a guy who's 6'4", 220 lbs. He is officially scheduled to return to the lineup on Tuesday, per the Pens website.

As for Filewich, meh. Career minor-leaguer. No big loss.

Pens re-sign Talbot to a two-year contract

By Tricia Lafferty, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 19, 2008

The Penguins resigned forward Maxime Talbot to a two-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

"Max has developed into one of the key players in our organization," Shero said. "He has shown his versatility and plays in all situations for our hockey club. He played an integral role in helping our team reach the finals last season and we look forward to having him for the coming years."

Talbot, 24, has recorded four goals and three assists this season. He recorded 35 points last season, including nine points in the playoffs.

In other developments:

• Defenseman Ryan Whitney has been assigned to the Penguins' AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for a conditioning assignment.

He will play in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's game against the Albany River Rats Saturday night and will return to the Penguins Sunday morning.

Whitney has been out all season since undergoing surgery in August to correct a left-foot deformity. He has been practicing with the team since Nov. 21.

Whitney could return to the ice Monday when the Penguins travel to Buffalo to play the Sabres or on Tuesday when they host the Tampa Bay Lightning.

• Wilkes-Barre/Scranton forward Jonathan Filewich was traded to St. Louis for a conditional draft pick in 2010. Filewich, 24, recorded two goals and two assists in 19 games this season with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

He appeared in five contests with the Penguins last season, including his NHL debut January 21 versus Washington.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_603689.html?source=rss&feed=8

pittsburghp8baller
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Good re-signing, but you have to wonder about his injury problems the last 2 years. When he's healthy, the guy is all heart and brings it every single night.

Great news about Whitney as well - he'll be a sight for sore eyes, believe me. It'll take him a bit to get into game-shape, but once he does, I hope he gets back to the way he played in 06-07 and grew some balls in the process. He plays too soft for a guy who's 6'4", 220 lbs. He is officially scheduled to return to the lineup on Tuesday, per the Pens website.

As for Filewich, meh. Career minor-leaguer. No big loss.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_603689.html?source=rss&feed=8

Filewich was suppose to be a decent NHL player, he had a 30 goal season a couple of years ago in the AHL, but after that he jus never panned out. at least we get a draft pick out of him. Whitney, as much as its gonna hurt me to say this, is gonna help our defensive core especially with all of its injuries. now i guess we got to start asking how we are gonna work the d-man rotation when Whitney and Gill gets back. who gets the boot when whitney gets back and then when Gill returns. im hoping whitney does return with a nasty streak and goes and throws that big body around for the first time in his career.

BTW, WELCOME BACK FLEURY!!!

X-Terminator
12-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Filewich was suppose to be a decent NHL player, he had a 30 goal season a couple of years ago in the AHL, but after that he jus never panned out. at least we get a draft pick out of him. Whitney, as much as its gonna hurt me to say this, is gonna help our defensive core especially with all of its injuries. now i guess we got to start asking how we are gonna work the d-man rotation when Whitney and Gill gets back. who gets the boot when whitney gets back and then when Gill returns. im hoping whitney does return with a nasty streak and goes and throws that big body around for the first time in his career.

BTW, WELCOME BACK FLEURY!!!

Eaton most likely will sit, and Goligoski may either sit or be sent back to the minors, which really would be the best situation for him at that point. He needs to play rather than sit in the press box. It's also possible that one of them will be traded, most likely Eaton, though Scuderi has gotten some interest as well from what I've heard.

Fire Haley
12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
The Pens will win with 4 minutes remaining, but lets be thankful we are playing the thrashers. We have made ample mistakes and our puck management is terrible with at lest 5 turnovers in the Pens zone.

I watched the game, yeah, the Pens are getting scary with the puck in their own end.

Satan handed them a goal on a silver platter to give them hope at the end.

I still think the Pens are too selfless.....lots of little ticky-ticky passes - SHOOT THE PUCK!

Sid's pass to the Malkin on the open netter was a classy move though.

steelpride12
12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Great to see talbot signed he has that spark for the Pens that always gets them going great to see him for another 2 year. Does this mean no signing for Staal?

On the Pens site they have Whitney to return on the 23rd and until then he will condition and practice down in WBS.

X-Terminator
12-19-2008, 05:43 PM
It does not mean no signing for Staal - I believe he will be re-signed before the end of the season unless they decide to make a play for Ilya Kovalchuk.

Word is the deal is 2 years, $2.1 million.

SteelCityMan786
12-19-2008, 08:52 PM
It does not mean no signing for Staal - I believe he will be re-signed before the end of the season unless they decide to make a play for Ilya Kovalchuk.

Word is the deal is 2 years, $2.1 million.

That's only way in my opinion Jordan is gone. I feel though they will sign him to a contract though instead of going for Ilya.

pittsburghp8baller
12-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Penguins Report: Talbot Back In the Lineup
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=399271

The good news keeps coming for Maxime Talbot. The day after he signed a two-year contract extension with the Penguins he will be back in the lineup for Pittsburgh against the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday night at Mellon Arena at 7 p.m.

“I’m ready go,” Talbot said. “Definitely, I’m going to play tonight.”

Talbot missed the team’s previous two games with an undisclosed injury but is looking forward to getting back on the ice.

“You come back from a little injury and you want to play,” Talbot said. “You want to perform when you play against Toronto, which is always fun games. It’ll definitely be good.”

While Talbot will play, the same can’t be said for forwards Mike Zigomanis and Pascal Dupuis. Zigomanis has been sidelined with an undisclosed injury he suffered Dec. 3 at the New York Rangers. Dupuis left Pittsburgh’s game Thursday at Atlanta and is listed as day-to-day.

“We’re glad that Maxime Talbot will be back tonight but we lost Dupuis,” head coach Michel Therrien said. “This is what we have to deal with. There’s going to be times where it’s not as smooth as you wish but we have to find a way to win games.”

Jeff Taffe will take Dupuis’ spot on the top line with Sidney Crosby and Miroslav Satan.

“Whenever you’re around Sid, it’s kind of nerve racking but at the same time it’s just a game,” Taffe admitted. “I’ll go out there and do as best as I can. Let him touch the puck as much as he wants. He’s such a good player, he creates so much room for everybody else. Basically, you just want to get open for him. Just go stand in front of the net and maybe one will go in off of me.”

“I don’t think things have changed too much,” Crosby said of the adjustment. “Dupuis is probably more familiar with the way we play but Taffe was here for a while last year as well. He’s fit in fine. Other than that, I don’t think we have to change a whole lot.”

The remaining combinations will be: Ruslan Fedotenko-Evgeni Malkin-Petr Sykora; Tim Wallace-Jordan Staal-Matt Cooke; Ryan Stone-Talbot-Eric Godard. Marc-Andre Fleury will make his second straight start in goal.

The Penguins are missing six players from their regular lineup. Currently on the shelf are forwards Dupuis, Tyler Kennedy (IR - knee) and Zigomanis and defensemen Hal Gill (IR - shoulder), Sergei Gonchar (IR - shoulder) and Ryan Whitney (foot).

Almost on every line there is a player from Wilkes-Barre,” Therrien said. “It hurts the chemistry. When you talk about chemistry, it takes time. We’re all about chemistry and stability but right now we’re missing players. It takes some time.”

The sun is peaking over the horizon though. Fleury, who missed over a month of action with an undisclosed injury, returned for the Penguins on Thursday, while Whitney is scheduled to play Saturday night for the AHL (American Hockey League) Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and is expected to return for Pittsburgh Dec. 23 against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“It’s something that we had to go through last year,” Crosby said of the mounting injuries. “The confidence for getting through that was there and you need guys to step up. We’ve had that.

“We’ve probably faced a little more adversity at this point as far as injuries are concerned. To have gone through all that and (to be) standing where we are right now, we should be happy with that but I’m not satisfied.”

> Besides the injuries facing the team, Therrien is also trying to find that delicate balance between playing aggressive while remaining discipline.

“There’s a fine line,” Therrien said. “When the play is there, be aggressive. But when there’s a time to work on your position, you have to work on your position.”

Therrien was unhappy with the way his squad competed in its 6-3 loss to Philadelphia Dec. 13. He pushed them to be more aggressive in practice. The Penguins responded with a 6-3 victory over the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday.

I asked our team to be more aggressive,” Therrien said. “They were more aggressive. In the meantime you don’t want to run around. I think we ran around a little too much because we have the will to be a little more aggressive.

“The message that we didn’t compete against the Flyers, we approached that with the team. I thought the guys did a good job of competing. They were playing hard. They were finishing their checks. We want to be a tough team to play against and we were. In the meantime, we have to find a balance.”

> Fleury will wear his usually white pads, glove and blocker against the Leafs instead of the new mustard yellow pads. Fleury felt that the new gear was too stiff and not quite ready for game action.

"There just wasn't enough practice," Fleury said. "I'm still breaking them in."

Fleury wore the new gear all week at practice and planned on wearing them against the Leafs as part of the third-jersey uniform. He'll have another week to break in the gear because Pittsburgh will sport their throw-back uniforms again next Saturday, Dec. 27, against the Montreal Canadiens.

> The Penguins matchup will the Leafs will be the feature game on Hockey Night in Canada. Not that Pittsburgh need any extra insentive but playing on a national stage never hurts.

"I don’t think you can compare it to the first time but it’s always exciting," Crosby said. "I don’t think that’s ever going to change. You grow up watching it on TV and when you get the opportunity (to play) you want to do well."

wont be able to watch the game tonight, but ill try and catch it on the computer at my cousin's, good to see talbot back in the lineup

steelpride12
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Now lets see Talbot come out tonight and play with that added spark knowing he has another 2 years with the Pens.

Fire Haley
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Hockey Night in Canada pregame coverage is on now, should be a fun game.

X-Terminator
12-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Absolutely shameful and pathetic performance out there. Just pathetic. Everyone in that locker room should be ashamed of themselves for that garbage they put out there tonight. I don't mind losing, but when I see a complete lack of focus and effort out there...it's totally unacceptable. The team isn't playing like they want to win, and if this keeps up, they can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

steelpride12
12-20-2008, 10:25 PM
well tonights games was....umm on a positive note....noo umm. Ya.

X-Terminator
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
well tonights games was....umm on a positive note....noo umm. Ya.

Exactly. There wasn't one thing good about the game tonight. I want to hope that they've finally hit rock bottom, but I doubt it. I don't see things magically getting any better even when they get everyone healthy again. This team has serious issues, and it's time to start sending some messages. Heads are going to have to roll or make some "star" players watch the game from the press box. Anything to give them a swift kick in the ass.

Fire Haley
12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Fleury was a sieve - not very godlike at all.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Fleury was a sieve - not very godlike at all.

I give him a break since he's coming off an injury, and Coach T wouldn't play him against Philly in an attempt to get his timing back against the Flyers.

pittsburghp8baller
12-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Penguins' Crosby Smashes Jagr's Vote Record In XM NHL All-Star Fan Balloting Presented B 2K Sports

NEW YORK (Dec. 21, 2008) - Anyone wondering what Sidney Crosby would do for a midwinter encore 12 months after scoring the winning shootout goal in the inaugural Winter Classic now has their answer. At noon ET today, Crosby eclipsed Jaromir Jagr’s record for the most votes ever received by one player in one season in the history of NHL All-Star Game fan balloting.

With nearly 13 full days of voting still remaining in the XM NHL All-Star Fan Balloting presented by 2K Sports that will determine the starting lineups in the 2009 NHL All-Star Game in Montreal, Crosby soared past the 1,020,736-vote mark that Jagr, then a member of the Penguins, posted in 2000.

Pittsburgh fans apparently aren’t satisfied with simply keeping the record in the family. They also have Crosby’s current teammate Evgeni Malkin poised to beat Jagr’s 9-year-old record. As of the moment Crosby reached the milestone, Malkin was within 19,000 votes of doing the same.

Through Jan. 2, NHL fans can vote as often as they like in the XM NHL ® All-Star Fan Balloting presented by 2K Sports to select the starting lineups for the 2009 NHL All-Star Game in Montreal. Fans around the world can vote online via interactive English and French ballots at Vote.NHL.com.
Those in the U.S. and Canada also are able to cast their votes via text message using any wireless carrier. Real-time results are available exclusively at http://Vote.NHL.com/results.

Fans can vote for up to six Eastern Conference players and six Western Conference players -- three forwards, two defensemen and one goaltender. Fans are permitted to select as few as one player -- a balloted player or write-in -- per online ballot at Vote.NHL.com or via text message.

To vote using any wireless carrier, fans should text their favorite player’s last name to the shortcode 81812. Fans interested in voting for all of their favorite team’s balloted players can text the team nickname (e.g., Bruins) to 81812. Standard text messaging charges will apply.

XM, which airs every NHL game for every team as the Official Satellite Radio Partner of the NHL, and 2K Sports, a leading publisher of sports video games, are the NHL All-Star Fan Balloting title and presenting sponsors, respectively.

The 2009 NHL All-Star Weekend in Montreal will celebrate the Montreal Canadiens’ Centennial season with live national broadcasts of the Honda/NHL SuperSkills® event on Saturday, Jan. 24, and the NHL All-Star Game on Sunday, Jan. 25, on VERSUS in the United States and CBC and RDS in Canada. NASN, ASN, J Sports, Sky Mexico, Fox Sports Australia and other NHL international broadcast partners will provide live coverage of both the Honda/NHL SuperSkills event and the NHL All-Star Game to more than 150 countries and territories in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, the Pacific Rim, Mexico and the Caribbean. NHL Radio™ will provide exclusive, national radio coverage which can be heard on stations around the United States and Canada as well as on Sirius XM Radio's NHL Home Ice, located at XM channel 204 and on SIRIUS channel 208 with the “Best of XM” programming package.

NHL.com and NHL Network will provide extensive coverage of the All-Star Weekend.

Fire Haley
12-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Pens vs. Sabres tonight.

In case you haven't been paying attention, we're in the 7th spot in the conference and dropping fast.

We need points, dammit!

X-Terminator
12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Pens vs. Sabres tonight.

In case you haven't been paying attention, we're in the 7th spot in the conference and dropping fast.

We need points, dammit!

Oh believe me, I've noticed. The time for pissing around is over, and now it's time for them to start winning some games. They probably won't catch Boston, but they CAN catch the Rangers, who have been struggling in their own right lately. The Sabres need to be the first victim in a nice, long winning streak.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
yep right around the christmas/new year's time is when we usually catch fire, so lets hope it starts tonight against buffalo.

(oh and X, im coming for that #1 record this week in FHockey!)

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh believe me, I've noticed. The time for pissing around is over, and now it's time for them to start winning some games. They probably won't catch Boston, but they CAN catch the Rangers, who have been struggling in their own right lately. The Sabres need to be the first victim in a nice, long winning streak.

Let the streak of points and wins begin tonight on Versus as the Penguins take on the Sabres. May it continue tomorrow against Pittsburgh South.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 06:31 PM
It would be nice if someone WOULD SCORE A FREAKING GOAL on the Penguins side of the board.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
It would be nice if someone WOULD SCORE A FREAKING GOAL on the Penguins side of the board.

it would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! looks like another comeback is upon us for us

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 07:19 PM
2-1 Pittsburgh. Goal by Dupuis.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Goligoski makes it 2-2.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2008, 07:35 PM
and another for buffalo. mistake after mistake, u cant leave ANY nhl player in front of the uncotested. especially with how fleury has been known to let up rebounds, we gotta to have our d-man collapse the net after a shot

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
3-3 in Buffalo.

X-Terminator
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
OT win for the Pens. Crosby with the GW - close call on the high stick, but I felt it was the correct call. They needed that win in the worst way.

Back home on the bus tomorrow night against the worst team in the NHL, the Tampa Bay Lightning. Hopefully they'll take a little momentum from tonight into the game.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Great Win. 4-3 in OT. Now they come home and get a win against the Lightning and then get ready to do damage in Newark.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2008, 08:46 PM
OT win for the Pens. Crosby with the GW - close call on the high stick, but I felt it was the correct call. They needed that win in the worst way.

Back home on the bus tomorrow night against the worst team in the NHL, the Tampa Bay Lightning. Hopefully they'll take a little momentum from tonight into the game.

it was def a tough call, i dont see a way you could of overturned it. great win and as you said we needed that. watch out for TB though, Mike Smith has been playing real good, they jus have one of the worst scoring team in the NHL right now.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
it was def a tough call, i dont see a way you could of overturned it. great win and as you said we needed that. watch out for TB though, Mike Smith has been playing real good, they jus have one of the worst scoring team in the NHL right now.

I'd love to see this team raise cain on Malone, Roberts, and Hall.

pittsburghp8baller
12-22-2008, 09:03 PM

im the same way, gonna love seeing godard throwing his weight for the occasion, maybe dress stone for extra grit? hope so, he is my favorite player on the lower lines

steelpride12
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Great 4-3 OT win. Call was tough, but the right call. When the puck hit the stick Crosby was tilting it downward below the the posts.

Tomorrow going to the game :) Whitney was suppose to come back, but i don't see it happening so early. We can always wish. Lets keep this momentum going in to St. Louis and start a winning streak.

X-Terminator
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Malone and Roberts are both injured, though Malone may play tomorrow.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Malone and Roberts are both injured, though Malone may play tomorrow.

I was hoping all of those guys would be healthy. Would've been a nice chance for fans to say a good bye to a bunch of world class people while they were on the ice.

X-Terminator
12-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Great 4-3 OT win. Call was tough, but the right call. When the puck hit the stick Crosby was tilting it downward below the the posts.

Tomorrow going to the game :) Whitney was suppose to come back, but i don't see it happening so early. We can always wish. Lets keep this momentum going in to St. Louis and start a winning streak.

He's due back tomorrow, not tonight. He was supposed to play in the game against Hershey on Saturday but it was postponed due to snow, but he's ready to go.

Fire Haley
12-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Fleury was a God in the 3rd period.
Sid got a lucky call, but now Letang is hurt? Crap.

Back to back games for a change - keep it rolling.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed, but there is some steel going up around the new arena.

http://downloads.penguins.nhl.com/arenapix/camera1.jpg

pittsburghp8baller
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Penguins Report: Whitney In, Letang Out
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=399747

injuries keep piling up, at least since we lost one we got one back in whitney. and gill is practicing again

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Penguins Report: Whitney In, Letang Out
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=399747

injuries keep piling up, at least since we lost one we got one back in whitney. and gill is practicing again

It's a grueling season. This is going to happen.

Fire Haley
12-23-2008, 11:56 PM
When Sid is missing wide open nets, you know you're gonna lose.

HometownGal
12-24-2008, 08:01 AM
When Sid is missing wide open nets, you know you're gonna lose.

Sykora missed a gift goal last night, too.

I was there for the game with XT and it looked like the Pens didn't have any energy or will to play. Other than Geno and Fleury, no one else looked like they wanted to be there. It was truly a yawn-fest.

I'm not going to panic at this point in the season. There's a lot of hockey left to be played and if you fellow Pens fans will recall - the last couple of years they really didn't find their mojo until after the All-Star break.

Relax - they're going to be just fine. :thumbsup::drink:

SteelCityMan786
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Sykora missed a gift goal last night, too.

I was there for the game with XT and it looked like the Pens didn't have any energy or will to play. Other than Geno and Fleury, no one else looked like they wanted to be there. It was truly a yawn-fest.

I'm not going to panic at this point in the season. There's a lot of hockey left to be played and if you fellow Pens fans will recall - the last couple of years they really didn't find their mojo until after the All-Star break.

It started brewing in the month of January before the break to.

Fire Haley
12-24-2008, 01:26 PM

They showed close-up shots of Therrien all night, for some reason. He looked nervous, like he was about to be fired. There's no joy in mudville.

steelpride12
12-24-2008, 03:16 PM
As worried and paranoid i know its a long season and this is a perfect situation for the Pens. Get banged up now, but middle end of the season the Pens get healthy with everyone in except Gonchar and blow through the ranks.

X-Terminator
12-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Got this from another site:

The mood in the Penguins locker room and on the bench has not been good. As Michel Therrien mentioned in his post game comments there has been some bickering between the players. A source tells me some players have tuned out Sidney Crosby who has done his share of calling out players on the bench recently. He demands a lot of his teammates and some players aren’t reacting well to it.

There’s a lot of finger pointing going on between line mates coming off after shifts. I’ve heard Jordan Staal has been very vocal and he’s really had no room to talk lately. The problem is players are calling out players and those players doing the calling out, aren’t carrying their weight. That has been the issue. Sources tell me Therrien is tired of it and he’s not going to put up with it anymore.

The team has turned to Evgeni Malkin as their leader on the ice

There does not appear to be a panic just yet but there is some serious concern from management and the coaching staff. Ownership is spending up to the cap because they expect a deep playoff run. Expect some changes to be coming.....

If this is all true (it came from pittsburghsportsinsider.com), then it isn't good. Sid is the captain and has the right to call players out, but if they're tuning him out and turning to Malkin as the leader, then they must think he's not carrying his own weight on the ice. Anyway, MT needs to get this under control pretty fast before the locker room goes to hell.

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2008, 01:32 PM

If this is all true (it came from pittsburghsportsinsider.com), then it isn't good. Sid is the captain and has the right to call players out, but if they're tuning him out and turning to Malkin as the leader, then they must think he's not carrying his own weight on the ice. Anyway, MT needs to get this under control pretty fast before the locker room goes to hell.

I guess no one remembered that he was named Captain for a reason.

steelpride12
12-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Not a good point in the season right now, but once they start getting injuries back and winning games the team will become one again and start blowing through opponents.

pittsburghp8baller
12-26-2008, 10:56 AM

this is where not only Sid's character and MT's but the entire teams' character is truely tested. its gotta be frustrated losing like the Pens have been and you can see it in the way they play, but they got to overcome it and come together as a team, maybe this Christmas break was a chance for them to come together.

Sid has the right to call out his teammates, thats why he is the captain and thats why MT gave him the captain cause he isnt afraid to do that, even at a young age. Crosby's numbers arent exactly what most expected but he still is on a 90+ point pace so i dont think they have a right to say he isnt doing his job. Most nights (excluding the TB game) it has usually been only Sid and Geno that leave it all on ice each and every night, and it seems Fleury has been since he has returned.

I gotta say we will be fine- MT, Sid, Geno and even Gonchar in a spectator role, wont let this team fall apart.

Fire Haley
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
The team has already fallen apart - that pathetic 7-3 loss to the Leafs has convinced me.

But wait! - more baby Pens on the way to the rescue!
Therrien is on the hotseat.

Pittsburgh Penguins Recall Forwards Dustin Jeffrey and Paul Bissonnette

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forwards Paul Bissonnette and Dustin Jeffrey from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=400022

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Hopefully a little fire from Biznasty helps them out.

pittsburghp8baller
12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
The team has already fallen apart - that pathetic 7-3 loss to the Leafs has convinced me.

But wait! - more baby Pens on the way to the rescue!
Therrien is on the hotseat.

Pittsburgh Penguins Recall Forwards Dustin Jeffrey and Paul Bissonnette

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forwards Paul Bissonnette and Dustin Jeffrey from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=400022

Biz Niasty will def help with the physical play, i thought Caputi would be ready for a call up before Jeffrey but its good to see what else our farm has to offer.

could we getting ready to dump ship and seeing who all can play in the NHL? its way too early to say that but doesnt it have that feeling

X-Terminator
12-26-2008, 01:10 PM
About damn time they recalled Biz Nasty. I know I was getting sick to death of seeing no one other than Godard, Orpik and Cooke even attempt to throw a check or mix it up. He will definitely bring more grit and toughness, and will have several potential dance partners tonight in Jersey.

I'd also have rather seen Caputi called up over Jeffrey, but I do want to see what he has to offer. Caputi is our Ryan Malone of the future.

Fire Haley
12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Debbils hockey puts me to sleep.

Score already.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2008, 08:39 PM
About damn time they recalled Biz Nasty. I know I was getting sick to death of seeing no one other than Godard, Orpik and Cooke even attempt to throw a check or mix it up. He will definitely bring more grit and toughness, and will have several potential dance partners tonight in Jersey.

I'd also have rather seen Caputi called up over Jeffrey, but I do want to see what he has to offer. Caputi is our Ryan Malone of the future.

Caputi though needs to be more productive then Malone. lol.

X-Terminator
12-26-2008, 08:47 PM
What a performance by Fleury tonight. That save on Langenbrunner was one of the saves of the year - just unbelievable! They allowed more shots than they'd like, but overall it was a solid effort by the team tonight, and got a much-needed win. Now, can they please find a way to play well and win at home tomorrow night? I don't want those damn Habs fans whooping it up in our building.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2008, 09:18 PM
What a performance by Fleury tonight. That save on Langenbrunner was one of the saves of the year - just unbelievable! They allowed more shots than they'd like, but overall it was a solid effort by the team tonight, and got a much-needed win. Now, can they please find a way to play well and win at home tomorrow night? I don't want those damn Habs fans whooping it up in our building.

I wouldn't mind watching Biznasty beat the snot of Laraque. :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-27-2008, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't mind watching Biznasty beat the snot of Laraque. :chuckle:

Awwww - I still have a soft spot for Georges. I'd like to see a knock down, drag out with Biznasty knocking him down, but as you well know, Georges is one tough hombre.

What's going to absolutely kill me months down the road is going to the Pens/Sens game here in the Burgh and seeing my Jarkko wearing a Sens uni. I'm still not happy that the Pens wouldn't give him that 3rd year on a new contract. :mad:

X-Terminator
12-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Awwww - I still have a soft spot for Georges. I'd like to see a knock down, drag out with Biznasty knocking him down, but as you well know, Georges is one tough hombre.

What's going to absolutely kill me months down the road is going to the Pens/Sens game here in the Burgh and seeing my Jarkko wearing a Sens uni. I'm still not happy that the Pens wouldn't give him that 3rd year on a new contract. :mad:

If Biz Nasty takes on Laraque, he's going to get his ass kicked - better leave that job up to Godard, who will probably get his ass kicked. :chuckle: Laraque is the HW champ for a reason, after all!

I'm not happy they didn't give Ruutu that 3rd year either - he's played really well for the Sens this season when he's not been in the penalty box. I'd take him over Matt Cooke any day of the week.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2008, 11:18 AM

You got that right. Although Laraque was more of the business decision.

Look on the bright side, even if Jarrko has a good day, still no guarantee Ottawa wins.

X-Terminator
12-27-2008, 03:46 PM
No Godard, no Laraque tonight - Godard took a shot off his right knee last night and Laraque is still being bothered by a groin injury and will likely be placed on IR. The Pens re-called Tim Wallace to take Godard's spot on the 4th line. Damn if the injury bug just keeps biting the Pens in the ass! :banging:

The good news though is that Hal Gill may be back in the lineup on Tuesday against the Bruins, which means that Mark Eaton will reclaim his seat in the press box. Still no word on Zigomanis though - he still hasn't been placed on IR even though he's been out for 3 weeks.

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2008, 04:15 PM
No Godard, no Laraque tonight - Godard took a shot off his right knee last night and Laraque is still being bothered by a groin injury and will likely be placed on IR. The Pens re-called Tim Wallace to take Godard's spot on the 4th line. Damn if the injury bug just keeps biting the Pens in the ass! :banging:

The good news though is that Hal Gill may be back in the lineup on Tuesday against the Bruins, which means that Mark Eaton will reclaim his seat in the press box. Still no word on Zigomanis though - he still hasn't been placed on IR even though he's been out for 3 weeks.

Ohhh darn. I was hoping to see a possible Godard/Laraque fight. Oh well.

Good to see Big ol Hal Gill will be back soon. I'd like Ziggy to return when he is ready. The Penguins are starting to get into a critical stretch of the year. One that I don't want to see them screwing anything big because they played someone who wasn't ready.

X-Terminator
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Would it kill a Penguin to cover a guy in front of the net? Both times Kostitsyn was left wide open in the slot, the second time with all 5 players within 5 feet of him...I mean, come on! I swear to God, the Pens have the worst defense in the league. And once again, they're losing at home. WTF??? Why not just play the rest of the season on the road? They certainly play better on the road, that's for sure.

And I'm all for burning the blue uniforms too. They've turned into bad luck charms.

X-Terminator
12-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Soft goal allowed by Fleury, can't score on the PP...ugh. And when they DO get a chance, they can't bury it. This team is so damn frustrating!

steelersfanman92
12-27-2008, 08:33 PM
They had some nice shots at the end but that was to little to late it sure would have been nice if Sykora could have put that one in the net with 15 seconds left

SteelCityMan786
12-27-2008, 08:34 PM
TOO MANY SOFT GOALS.

Oh well, might as well get ready for the Bruins now.

X-Terminator
12-27-2008, 08:37 PM
And...game over. Yet another loss on home ice. Like I said, let's just play the rest of the damn season on the road, because they cannot get the job done at home. And for the love of God, ditch the blue unis. They're nice, but they can't win a friggin game in them. They're SO damn inconsistent it's sickening. Now they have a home-and-home against Boston coming up, who are only the top team in the conference, a place I thought the Pens would at least be in position to fight for. Guess not. Let's hope they keep it under 10 goals allowed for the pair of games.

HometownGal
12-28-2008, 07:34 AM
And...game over. Yet another loss on home ice. Like I said, let's just play the rest of the damn season on the road, because they cannot get the job done at home. And for the love of God, ditch the blue unis. They're nice, but they can't win a friggin game in them. They're SO damn inconsistent it's sickening. Now they have a home-and-home against Boston coming up, who are only the top team in the conference, a place I thought the Pens would at least be in position to fight for. Guess not. Let's hope they keep it under 10 goals allowed for the pair of games.

Y'know I love you to pieces, XT, but you are coming across like a FWF and that is what is sickening. :mad: There is a lot of hockey left to be played - holy shit - we aren't even at the All Star break yet and the Pens have notoriously played their best hockey after the break over the last 2 seasons.

I felt the Pens played fairly well last night but just couldn't punch that tying goal in, though they sure tried. Therrien, in his post game conference, wasn't all that upset with how his boyz played that game.

P.S. If they ditch those blue unis, are you going to ditch your brandy new blue Gogo jersey? :wink02::chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Y'know I love you to pieces, XT, but you are coming across like a FWF and that is what is sickening. :mad: There is a lot of hockey left to be played - holy shit - we aren't even at the All Star break yet and the Pens have notoriously played their best hockey after the break over the last 2 seasons.

I felt the Pens played fairly well last night but just couldn't punch that tying goal in, though they sure tried. Therrien, in his post game conference, wasn't all that upset with how his boyz played that game.

P.S. If they ditch those blue unis, are you going to ditch your brandy new blue Gogo jersey? :wink02::chuckle:

I commend this team on a hard fought game though to. Sure, Fleury could have saved a goal or two. Or maybe someone could've produced more offense. But hey, better to do go down fighting. That's how I look at it.

Time for the Penguins to put last night's game behind them and PREPARE FOR THE BRUINS!!!

steelpride12
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM

I agree. I mean this is an excellent position for the Pens to be in right now. The Pens will get healed of injuries around halfway through the season in which the chemistry will return and they will blow through opponents like they used to .

Id rather them grow stronger as the season goes on then start strong and fall apart during playoff times. They are doing their best i mean remember all the injuries they have right now including Gonch.

Goods new just read Hal Gill will be back in the line up tonight for the Pens who will dress 7 defense men and Gologoski will play forward/defense.

X-Terminator
12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Here's a very interesting stat that I came across today - the Pens actually have a better record after 36 games this season than they did last season (19-13-4 vs. 18-16-2 last season). And that team made it all the way to the SCF. Sure, they're 7th (I believe they were 6th or 7th at this point last season), but they're still in pretty good shape. So the question I have is...what the hell have I been bitching about? When they get everyone healthy and make some roster improvements, they're going to be just fine.

No more whining from me from this point on.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Here's a very interesting stat that I came across today - the Pens actually have a better record after 36 games this season than they did last season (19-13-4 vs. 18-16-2 last season). And that team made it all the way to the SCF. Sure, they're 7th (I believe they were 6th or 7th at this point last season), but they're still in pretty good shape. So the question I have is...what the hell have I been bitching about? When they get everyone healthy and make some roster improvements, they're going to be just fine.

No more whining from me from this point on.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

Keepin the faith!! :jammin:

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Boston gets cheap goal because the man who scored it didn't get put in the Sin Bin as he should have

2-1 Boston.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
3-2 Bruins Now. Dupuis for the Penguins and Kessel for the Bruins.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Right now it appears their minds are moving to the 2009 Portion of the schedule.

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Christ - I know what's coming in this thread when this game is over. :banging: :couch:

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Christ - I know what's coming in this thread when this game is over. :banging: :couch:

Frustrating night all the way around.

Bench Flower for Thursday. He might just need to get his head on straight.

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Frustrating night all the way around.

Bench Flower for Thursday. He might just need to get his head on straight.

Yes, it is, but the D didn't have a good outing tonight imho.

For the past 2 seasons, the Pens have started out slow and haven't played well on home ice up until the All-Star break - then they've come on like gangbusters. I'm hoping the same is true this season.

The Bruins are a damned good team and Thomas is one helluva good netminder. The highlight of the night was Wallace's fight with Lucic - LOL! He pretty much held his own with that gargantuan.

Oh well - hopefully we can start the New Year out with a little revenge in Boston on Thursday. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, it is, but the D didn't have a good outing tonight imho.

For the past 2 seasons, the Pens have started out slow and haven't played well on home ice up until the All-Star break - then they've come on like gangbusters. I'm hoping the same is true this season.

The Bruins are a damned good team and Thomas is one helluva good netminder. The highlight of the night was Wallace's fight with Lucic - LOL! He pretty much held his own with that gargantuan.

Oh well - hopefully we can start the New Year out with a little revenge in Boston on Thursday. :thumbsup:

What a better way for the Penguins to start 2009 then with a W. :drink:

X-Terminator
12-30-2008, 09:23 PM

I missed the game tonight due to TSD and besides, I said I wasn't going to bitch about them anymore and I mean it. There are some changes that need to be made and have 3 guys on IR - I have to believe things will improve once the team gets healthy. Until then, I'll just cheer them on, no matter what happens.

X-Terminator
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Pens vs. Bruins round 2 tonight in Boston. Eric Godard is a game-time decision, but I don't expect him to play. If not, then they will put out the same lineup as Tuesday night - 7 D and Go-Go splitting time at forward and defense. The team had a players-only meeting after Tuesday's game, which IMO was about 2 weeks overdue. I've heard much of the problems have come from the "old guys" being unhappy with some of the new players and they way they have been playing. Hopefully the air was cleared and they'll get back to playing hockey the way they know they can play, because they're still among the most talented teams in the league even with 3 key players out of the lineup.

Speaking of injured players, Kris Letang practiced yesterday and is expected to return on Saturday. At that point, they will have a big decision to make with 8 healthy defensemen. As long as Go-Go and Godard stay in the lineup, I'll be happy - I really think Go-Go has earned the right to stay with the Pens and play rather than be sent back to Wilkes-Barre.

Dany Sabourin will get the nod in goal tonight.

Go Pens!

pittsburghp8baller
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Pens vs. Bruins round 2 tonight in Boston. Eric Godard is a game-time decision, but I don't expect him to play. If not, then they will put out the same lineup as Tuesday night - 7 D and Go-Go splitting time at forward and defense. The team had a players-only meeting after Tuesday's game, which IMO was about 2 weeks overdue. I've heard much of the problems have come from the "old guys" being unhappy with some of the new players and they way they have been playing. Hopefully the air was cleared and they'll get back to playing hockey the way they know they can play, because they're still among the most talented teams in the league even with 3 key players out of the lineup.

Speaking of injured players, Kris Letang practiced yesterday and is expected to return on Saturday. At that point, they will have a big decision to make with 8 healthy defensemen. As long as Go-Go and Godard stay in the lineup, I'll be happy - I really think Go-Go has earned the right to stay with the Pens and play rather than be sent back to Wilkes-Barre.

Dany Sabourin will get the nod in goal tonight.

Go Pens!

i agree GoGo has earned the right to stay in the NHL, is now the time we make a move? ive been reading that the Gaborik sweepstakes are heating up and the Pens are one of three still in the running. i doubt we make blockbuster trades in back-to-back years but if we do, Gaborik will no doubt help us. The Wild have been cautious with him, apprently not to help their team but to rest him for a possible trade.

i read a blog today and this guy made some very good points, ill post the link the article is probably to long to post now

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian-Metzer/Happy-New-Year-Ringing-in-the-New-Year-Just-Saying-Style/54/18629

Let's get this year started on a high note!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
01-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Speaking of injured players, Kris Letang practiced yesterday and is expected to return on Saturday.

Letang will play tonight, Whitney and Sykora will be this month's Alternate Captain.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=401338

Defenseman Kris Letang will return for Pittsburgh's grudge match against the Bruins in Boston on Thursday at TD Banknorth Garden at 7 p.m.

Letang's return will give Pittsburgh eight healthy defensemen. Head coach Michel Therrien wouldn't say how Letang's return willl effect the lineup. Pittsburgh dressed seven defensemen on Tuesday in the first installment of the home-and-home against Boston, using rookie Alex Goligoski at both defense and forward.

Therrien said that forward Eric Godard will be a game-time decision. Goaltender

Dany Sabourin will make his first start in goal for Pittsburgh since Dec. 13 at Philadelphia.

Also, Therrien named Petr Sykora and Ryan Whitney as the Penguins' alternate captains for the month of January. The Penguins have rotated alternate captains throughout the season. Other alternates this season include Brooks Orpik and Evgeni Malkin (October), Rob Scuderi and Hal Gill (November) and Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke (December).

steelpride12
01-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Good to see Letang back. Lets start 09 right with a W against a darn good hockey team. Sabo should look strong and the defense play well like they did tuesday night.

X-Terminator
01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
i agree GoGo has earned the right to stay in the NHL, is now the time we make a move? ive been reading that the Gaborik sweepstakes are heating up and the Pens are one of three still in the running. i doubt we make blockbuster trades in back-to-back years but if we do, Gaborik will no doubt help us. The Wild have been cautious with him, apprently not to help their team but to rest him for a possible trade.

i read a blog today and this guy made some very good points, ill post the link the article is probably to long to post now

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian-Metzer/Happy-New-Year-Ringing-in-the-New-Year-Just-Saying-Style/54/18629

Let's get this year started on a high note!!!!

While I'm not a fan of Hockeybuzz because they are wrong more often than they are right, the blogger does make some good points. I knew that the losses of Malone, Ruutu, Roberts, etc. were big, but I didn't know how big they would end up being. Chemistry was a big part of what the Pens had become, but it's looking as if the new guys they brought in just don't bring the same kind of leadership qualities and it's hurting the team. I'm still holding out hope that the players-only meeting will be the first step in resolving those issues, but if it doesn't, I fully expect Ray Shero to make some changes.

One thing I strongly disagree with is blaming Shero for putting all of his eggs in The Turncoat's basket without a viable backup plan. Given who was available at the time and the amount of money they were ultimately paid, what did you expect him to do, especially considering that he had to re-sign Malkin and Fleury to extensions? Malone isn't worth $4.5 million and he's proving it every game with TB. Huselius and Naslund were overpaid. Ryder is having a decent season with Boston, but I still think he's way overpaid at $4 million per season. Vinny Prospal was overpaid AND he looks like he's washed up. How can you not score consistently playing with Lecavalier and St. Louis every night? They maybe could have traded for Nikolai Zherdev, but they'd have had to give up a mint to get him. The only major problem I had with him was not giving Ruutu the 3rd year he asked for - I'd much rather have him than Matt Cooke. I won't fault Shero for this - he did what he could with what he had to work with.

As for Gaborik, after getting burned by The Turncoat last season, you have to think Shero will be hesitant to go after another high-profile scorer like that knowing that he could end up leaving anyway. They had better have an extension signed before they make any kind of deal like that. I'd still rather try to pry Kovalchuk out of Atlanta or Cheechoo out of San Jose. Cheechoo might be easier to go after because Devin Setoguchi has taken over his spot on the Sharks' top line.

EDIT: Just read on another site that Gonchar is back skating and doing light workouts, and while the team hasn't changed the timetable for his return (mid-March), he thinks he could be ready to go by late February. Needless to say, that would be frickin' awesome!

EDIT 2: Satan on waivers soon? From pittsburghsportsinsider.com:

Miroslav Satan has 4 goals in his last 24 games and Michel Therrien’s patience is growing thin. Is waivers a possibility in the future?.

Placing Miroslav Satan on waivers is not out of question. If Michel Therrien had his way, he would be already. Therrien is losing his patience with Satan and has been ready to pull him off of Crosby’s line since the Devils game. If Therrien finally makes the decision that Satan is not a fit with Malkin or Crosby, then Satan could be placed on waivers to light a fire under him or the best case scenario would be for a team to grab him. If the front office and the coaching staff come to an agreement that Satan has no place with this team then St.Louis is the first team the Penguins will look to in a trade according to sources. It does not appear Shero is at the point that Therrien is with Satan. His hand may be forced to keep playing him.

This has to be from a player but I was told from a friend in the media that in the 2nd period Therrien yelled to Mike Yeo to get Satan off of the bleeping ice when he turned the puck over in the neutral zone. Just thought it was funny. Satan only saw 10:15 of ice time.

From the players meeting, I was told the vibe coming out of the locker room was Crosby, Orpik and Matt Cooke did a lot of talking. A few players were called out in front of the team. The team is just calling for the players to come together and play with more desperation.

Therrien really looking for Sidney Crosby to take control of the situation.

There has been some friction with Jordan Staal getting an "A" this month. Some of the veteran players were not happy with it and feel it was time for Therrien to name the other (full-time) assistants until Gonchar returns. We could see that this month.

pittsburghp8baller
01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
2-1 Bruins after the first, Dustin Jeffrey with his first NHL goal, and he spent some time with Sid at the end of the first. id def like to see him spend more time up there, especialy when Ziggy comes back from injury to man the 4th line center.

i can can honestly say i wouldnt be sad at all if the pens waived Satan, i never liked the signing of him and for every goal he would have 2 or 3 screw-ups.

prying kovalchuk from the thrashers, i think, would come at more of a price than Gaborik, but we would be guaranteed at least another full season with him on the Pens. The only question would be, how big is the Kovalchuk-Crosby 'rivalry' goes deep. i dont hink it is unknown that there has been some bad blood between the two, could they put that behind them? For the chance to win a Stanley Cup id hope so.

Cheechoo, ill pass

X-Terminator
01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
2-1 Bruins after the first, Dustin Jeffrey with his first NHL goal, and he spent some time with Sid at the end of the first. id def like to see him spend more time up there, especialy when Ziggy comes back from injury to man the 4th line center.

i can can honestly say i wouldnt be sad at all if the pens waived Satan, i never liked the signing of him and for every goal he would have 2 or 3 screw-ups.

prying kovalchuk from the thrashers, i think, would come at more of a price than Gaborik, but we would be guaranteed at least another full season with him on the Pens. The only question would be, how big is the Kovalchuk-Crosby 'rivalry' goes deep. i dont hink it is unknown that there has been some bad blood between the two, could they put that behind them? For the chance to win a Stanley Cup id hope so.

Cheechoo, ill pass

Kovalchuk would gladly bury the hatchet with Sid for a shot at the Cup. I'm sure of it. And now that I think about it, I'll pass on Cheechoo as well. Streaky goal scorer, horrible skater. No thanks.

X-Terminator
01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Good effort, but they came up short again. If they play like that every night, they might get this thing turned around. However...0-5 on the PP - I don't know what else can be done, but their inability to score on the PP has cost them quite a few games over the past 2 months. Maybe start moving some guys around, put Crosby behind the net instead of the half-boards, make Malkin the trigger man in the right circle while keeping Whitney/Goligoski at the points with either Sykora or Staal in the middle...don't know, but the PP has to be fixed.

Oh well, back home for Florida on Saturday afternoon.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Good effort, but they came up short again. If they play like that every night, they might get this thing turned around. However...0-5 on the PP - I don't know what else can be done, but their inability to score on the PP has cost them quite a few games over the past 2 months. Maybe start moving some guys around, put Crosby behind the net instead of the half-boards, make Malkin the trigger man in the right circle while keeping Whitney/Goligoski at the points with either Sykora or Staal in the middle...don't know, but the PP has to be fixed.

Agreed. I only got to watch part of the game since I was dealing with a sour taste of California in my mouth. But anyway, if they play like they did from how you've described it, this team could be back in the win column VERY FAST.

pittsburghp8baller
01-01-2009, 10:12 PM

i havent seen them work that hard in a while, unfortunetly it wasnt enough. ur right something must be done with this power play, i think they were moving in the right direction, actually shooting the puck. you gotta shoot before you can score.

we are def moving in the right direction, we got to put three periods together like the third period of tonight. ill settle with this, if we played two periods as hard as that third, i think we win that game.

oh well, lets move towards Florida. the Panthers are getting Nathan Horton back, i watched some of the their game the other night, and he looked a little out of sync, he is def a guy the Pens got to watch out for. He is a nightmare for a defense that has been struggling with physical play

X-Terminator
01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, you can forget about the Pens landing Gaborik - he has a hip deformity that is causing his groin problems, and he may opt for season-ending surgery:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=261606&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

The Pens will have to look elsewhere for scoring help. It's a shame too, because when he's healthy, he's dynamite - the key words being when he's healthy.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, you can forget about the Pens landing Gaborik - he has a hip deformity that is causing his groin problems, and he may opt for season-ending surgery:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=261606&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

The Pens will have to look elsewhere for scoring help.

I wonder what the Penguins will have to do to get AK from Atlanta.

X-Terminator
01-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I wonder what the Penguins will have to do to get AK from Atlanta.

Staal, Letang and a pick, more than likely. I don't think the Pens would give up that much to land him.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Staal, Letang and a pick, more than likely. I don't think the Pens would give up that much to land him.

That would be too much.

HometownGal
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
However...0-5 on the PP - I don't know what else can be done, but their inability to score on the PP has cost them quite a few games over the past 2 months. Maybe start moving some guys around, put Crosby behind the net instead of the half-boards, make Malkin the trigger man in the right circle while keeping Whitney/Goligoski at the points with either Sykora or Staal in the middle...don't know, but the PP has to be fixed.

The PP needs its QB - Gonchar. Unfortunately, though, he isn't due back until late February/early March, so you're right - they have to come up with an alternate plan of some kind, as the PP as of late has really been suffering.

pittsburghp8baller
01-02-2009, 09:08 AM

yea, that would be too much. i dont care how much depth you have at defense (apparently we are a lot deeper than we thought) you dont give up a guy like Letang.

X-Terminator
01-02-2009, 09:08 AM
The PP needs its QB - Gonchar. Unfortunately, though, he isn't due back until late February/early March, so you're right - they have to come up with an alternate plan of some kind, as the PP as of late has really been suffering.

It's not just that they need Gonchar, though they clearly miss him - it's that the PP has become too predictable. Everybody knows the puck is going through Malkin and Crosby, and since they both play on the same side, all the opposing team has to do is cut off half the ice, collapse the D toward the goal to block shots and have their forwards pressure the puck carrier. They don't move around at all nor do they make quick passes to move the PK out of its box. Look at some of the top PPs in the league - Detroit, Philly, Montreal, Boston - they all make very quick passes and are constantly in motion so they can set up good looks at the net. That's what the Pens need to do, but unfortunately it seems Mike Yeo believes in trying to hammer a square peg in a round hole.

Fire Haley
01-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Whitney is not the savior some thought he was.

Sid and Malkin haven't scored in a month. The spark is gone this year.

Satan is officially a bust and the goalies are full of holes.

There is no joy in mudville.

X-Terminator
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Just read on insidepittsburghsports.com that Mike Zigomanis could be done for the year. He has the same shoulder injury that Gonchar has and is trying to rehab it, but if it doesn't work, he'll need surgery and his season will be over.

This has been the season from hell and it's only January 2! :banging::banging::banging:

SteelCityMan786
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Just read on insidepittsburghsports.com that Mike Zigomanis could be done for the year. He has the same shoulder injury that Gonchar has and is trying to rehab it, but if it doesn't work, he'll need surgery and his season will be over.

This has been the season from hell and it's only January 2! :banging::banging::banging:

Amazing to think they have a chance at the playoffs still to.

X-Terminator
01-02-2009, 10:46 PM
BTW, Gaborik did decide to have the surgery and will be out 10 weeks, which means he's pretty much done for the season. I've also heard from Wild fans that he's not exactly the most popular guy up there - he's all about himself and he's been pretty much a dick to the fans, not to mention that he turned down a 10-year, $80 million offer from the Wild. Put that with his injury problems, and I don't want him anywhere near the Pens despite his talent.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
BTW, Gaborik did decide to have the surgery and will be out 10 weeks, which means he's pretty much done for the season. I've also heard from Wild fans that he's not exactly the most popular guy up there - he's all about himself and he's been pretty much a dick to the fans, not to mention that he turned down a 10-year, $80 million offer from the Wild. Put that with his injury problems, and I don't want him anywhere near the Pens despite his talent.

Maybe it's a good thing then that he won't be avaliable to the Penguins to take at the Deadline.

HometownGal
01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Amazing to think they have a chance at the playoffs still to.

Hell yeah they do! :drink: There's still more than half a season to be played!

As I've said before - the Pens over the last two seasons didn't find their "mojo" until after the break and I'm hoping that is the case this season too. Rangers and Flyers are tied with 49 and sit at the top of the division. Pens, at 42, are only 7 points down.

We're going to do this!!! :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Hell yeah they do! :drink: There's still more than half a season to be played!

As I've said before - the Pens over the last two seasons didn't find their "mojo" until after the break and I'm hoping that is the case this season too. Rangers and Flyers are tied with 49 and sit at the top of the division. Pens, at 42, are only 7 points down.

We're going to do this!!! :tt03:

Not to mention that this is the point of the year they start showing signs of life to.

DON'T STOP BELIEVIN PENGUINS FANS!!!

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
This is the point of the season where the Pens start to turn it up and why not with the return of Tyger Kennedy who i think is the backbone of the team and third line. I smell a big game today from the Pens!
LETS GO PENS!