PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Pens look on fire early in the third getting turnovers, shots on net and already a break away shot from Dupuis. This is the Pens we all loved. There back!

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Tyler Kennedy has just coming out hitting and shooting the puck and bringing that sense of speed and agility we have missed. Without him the third line has just been torn apart and now with Whitney, Letang, and Kennedy now back the Pens are starting to get back to Pittsburgh hockey and i feel in a few weeks the Pens will be close if not to full strength!

pittsburghp8baller
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM
BTW, Gaborik did decide to have the surgery and will be out 10 weeks, which means he's pretty much done for the season. I've also heard from Wild fans that he's not exactly the most popular guy up there - he's all about himself and he's been pretty much a dick to the fans, not to mention that he turned down a 10-year, $80 million offer from the Wild. Put that with his injury problems, and I don't want him anywhere near the Pens despite his talent.

most of that is because he jus simply doesnt want to be there anymore. he doesnt get the playing time he wants, and he doesnt like the system he plays in. thats the only reason he turned down the 10 year deal cause he jus doesnt want to be there. put him a more wide open system then im sure he would be a lot happier

pittsburghp8baller
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
oh well, lets move towards Florida. the Panthers are getting Nathan Horton back, i watched some of the their game the other night, and he looked a little out of sync, he is def a guy the Pens got to watch out for. He is a nightmare for a defense that has been struggling with physical play

i hate when im right sometimes, Whitney gets caught up ice and Horton makes him pay. Orpik did jus about all he could do, and Fleury actually stopped that shot except his shot is so hard it squeezed through

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Once again the game just not going the Pens way as they came out strong and the goal tender stayed strong and a few kinks and Florida is up 2 to 0 early in the game. Lets hope the Pens finally get some breaks in the second period and win this game against a slacking team 0-5 is not good.

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Good to see his skating so early and hopefully we can have him back and ready around early March.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=401499

Penguins Report: Gonchar Back on the Ice
Sam Kasan
Jan 2, 2009, 10:12 AM EST

Gonchar
Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar is back on the ice for the first time in three months. The All-Star blueliner skated with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar prior to Pittsburgh's practice on Friday afternoon.

Gonchar has not played a regular-season game this year due to a shoulder injury he suffered after absorbing a hit from David Koci Sept. 20 against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the team's preseason opener.

"It's been a while," Gonchar said. "It's been tough for me. To finally step on the ice it's a step forward for me. I feel great about it. It's exciting."

Gonchar, who ranked second in scoring among NHL defensemen in each of the past two seasons, had arthroscopic surgery Oct. 2 to repair cartilage and ligament damage to his shoulder and needed four to six months to recover.

It's the first step. We're on the right track and we're doing everything we're supposed to do. - Sergei Gonchar
"It's the first step," he said. "We're on the right track and we're doing everything we're supposed to do. The doctors said before the surgery that this was the time where we were going to start skating. It seems like everthing is going along."

It's been three months since Gonchar's surgery and he still has many steps in his rehab before he can even practice. Gonchar is only skating and passing. His shoulder is still a month away from being able to absorb contact or even take a slap shot.

"By the books, you're not supposed to have contact for four months," Gonchar said. "The ligaments not going to heal until four months. That's why I'm only skating. There are no slap shots, no one-timers, just passing the puck and that stuff. That's all that I'm doing."

While Gonchar's recovery is progressing on time, there has been no set date for his return to the lineup. Still, it's a good sign for the Penguins, who have battled through numerous injuries this season.

"With injuries you don't want to set up a timetable," he said. "You're going by how you're feeling, how you're recovering. It's going to be up to doctors and my muscles."

* Off-Day: Sidney Crosby (1/2/09)
* Off-Day: Ruslan Fedotenko (1/2/09)
* Off-Day: Kris Letang (1/2/09)
* Off-Day: Tyler Kennedy (1/2/09)
* Off-Day: Coach Therrien (1/2/09)

Forward Tyler Kennedy returned to practice for the Penguins on Wednesday, four weeks to the day after he sprained his knee against the New York Rangers Dec. 3. Kennedy, who signed a two-year extension with Pittsburgh this season, has not been ruled out of playing Saturday against the Florida Panthers at Mellon Arena at 1 p.m.

"It's still up in the air so I'm not really sure," Kennedy said. "I'll probably make my decision (Friday). I listen to (the trainers and doctors) but I have to make my own call. I know how it feels. It feels great but I don't want to be a dragging force on the team."

Even if Kennedy feels he's ready to play, ultimately the decision will be made by Penguins head coach Michel Therrien.

"It's going to be a game-time decision," Therrien said. "He looks good on the ice. We'll make a decision (Saturday) probably after warm ups."

If Kennedy returns, he would likely be re-paired with Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke. The trio was the Penguins most consistent line before Kennedy suffered his injury.

"They were a good line," Therrien said. "They brought a lot of energy and gave us some depth offensively. They created some momentum the way they were forechecking. Since that line's been broken, we've been struggling a little bit."

Defenseman Philippe Boucher did not practice with the team and is listed as day-to-day with an undisclosed injury. The injury caused him to miss Pittsburgh's previous game in Boston on Thursday.

pittsburghp8baller
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
All-Star game voting officially needs to change

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=401751&navid=DL|NHL|home

East Starting Lineup
F Sidney Crosby
F Evgeni Malkin
F Alexei Kovalev
D Andrei Markov
D Mike Komisarek
G Carey Price

West
F Jonathan Toews
F Patrick Kane
F Ryan Getzlaf
D Scott Niedermayer
D Brian Campbell
G Jean Sebastian Giguere

No Dan Boyle or Shea Weber? Steve Mason has hands down been the best goaltender since his call-up and Giggy has been benched a few times. Mike Komisarek?!! i can deal with every1 except him. Canadien fans lost all creditbility when they selected him. And Kovalev over Kessel, Parise or Ovechkin!!!! Price i can handle but Tim Thomas should of been the starter

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
GOOALLL! Fedotenko(11)
He has come up big for the Pens and is on fire as of late. Lets hope this is the bounce the Pens needed.

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Well Pens down 4-1 second period. Penalty Kill just has nothing right now and is giving goals left and right. The D has to cover every man and it seems someone is always open right in front of the net.

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Wow 2 fights in a row Talbot and Sid the Kids kicking some ass! Talbot whooped ass and Crosby just ragged dolled a panther. They may not win this game, but it shows the leadership these players have showing that the Pens won't give up hope yet.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 01:37 PM
They look like they're shutting down. WHY CAN'T THE NHL GIVE THE PENGUINS MORE NIGHT GAMES ON SATURDAY'S???

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 01:45 PM
They look like they're shutting down. WHY CAN'T THE NHL GIVE THE PENGUINS MORE NIGHT GAMES ON SATURDAY'S???

Probably wouldn't help the Pens get a W and 2 points if the game was changed to a night game.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Probably wouldn't help the Pens get a W and 2 points if the game was changed to a night game.

They've faired better at night as of late though.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 02:04 PM
This is PATHETIC!!!

Pittsburghfan
01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Sick, disgusting game..6-1 still 10 min to go .

pittsburghp8baller
01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
This is PATHETIC!!!

like what they said, we have hit rock bottom. sometimes, you gotta hit rock bottom before you can turn things around.

this is hard for the fans, but this is the best time for teams to come together. when they are down and out, when every1 starts to count them out.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
like what they said, we have hit rock bottom. sometimes, you gotta hit rock bottom before you can turn things around.

this is hard for the fans, but this is the best time for teams to come together. when they are down and out, when every1 starts to count them out.

You got that right. :thumbsup:

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Exactly:thumbsup:

We can't live in a dream world where the Pens play perfect every season and never have bad stretches. Its gonna happen and it happens to the best of teams and this will help them become stronger and lets be happy its happening to early in the season so they can bounce back and be in the playoff race once again.

Come on guys heads up we can't give up on the Pens not now, not ever. Lets go Pens! Lets Go Pens!:drink:

X-Terminator
01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
If the playoffs ended today, the Pens would be out. However, if the Rangers and Flyers lose, they'd still be just 7 points out of first place in the division.

It ain't over yet. Not by a long shot.

HometownGal
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Exactly:thumbsup:

We can't live in a dream world where the Pens play perfect every season and never have bad stretches. Its gonna happen and it happens to the best of teams and this will help them become stronger and lets be happy its happening to early in the season so they can bounce back and be in the playoff race once again.

Come on guys heads up we can't give up on the Pens not now, not ever. Lets go Pens! Lets Go Pens!:drink:

Damned straight. :thumbsup::applaudit::drink:

Pittsburghfan
01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm not a member on this TIOPS site but I got this from a message board.

depaoli(he runs the site)
had a wedding to attend all day and I'm currently typing from my phone and a full update on the latest rumblings will be up when I get back. Just a couple quick ones. Penguins been talking to four teams exclusively. Two of them are EDM and TOR. Don't want to type a lot in the comments box for non members to see.
01/03/2009 6:07pm

Toronto? Antropov for Bissonnette + something...?

pittsburghp8baller
01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm not a member on this TIOPS site but I got this from a message board.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/

Updated: 10:52 p.m: Frustrations in the locker room and in the front office continue as the Penguins were embarrassed at home today losing 6-1 to the Florida Panthers. Michel Therrien’s job is safe for now. Let’s get that out of the way off the bat. If the Penguins were to continue to plummet in the standings then as always the coach could take the fall but to this point ownership has no interest in making a switch.
Ray Shero has been very active in the past 72 hours but don’t expect to wake up in the morning and see the Penguins make a major trade or see Jordan Staal get traded. Those kind of trades don’t happen overnight and as of this morning the Penguins were not involved in any serious talks that would land the Penguins a top 6 winger. What I mean by a top winger is a Marty St. Louis type of winger.
What the Penguins front office is trying to do is change the culture of the team. Callups and dressing seven defensemen will no longer get it done.
The Penguins are trying to acquire a forward or two that could provide some short term help and give Michel Therrien the option of sitting a player like Miroslav Satan.
Penguins are interested in Maple Leafs forward Nik Antropov but talks are not in the serious stages. Toronto doesn’t want any contracts beyond this year going their way and the Leafs asking price needs to come down a bit according to sources. A source told me they were asking for Alex Grant, 2nd round pick/Paul Bissonnette.
Penguins have talked to the Oilers and Blues about unloading Satan. Penguins looking at two forwards from Edmonton. One on the NHL roster, another in Springfield.
More to come within the hour (inside access only) and a update on teams the Penguins have been talking too. One Western Conference team showing strong interest in Alex Goligoski.

pittsburghp8baller
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
i was on hockeybuzz (not reliable but i still like going there) one of them said a Penguin trade is possibly coming.

im guessing that AHL Oiler player is Rob Schremp and the NHL is maybe Dustin Penner (prob not, too high of a salary 4+ million). i guess if we unloaded Satan to Edm.

or could we trying to get Brad Boyes? that would prob be the team going after GoGo then.

i dont know, i would like to see something done but wouldnt be devestated if it didnt. it was kind of a hiccup year for the farm year. next year we will have a lot of people to choose from to play wing.

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Wow truly looks like it wont be a surprise anymore to watch Staal get traded. I agree 7 defensemen is old news and trading down for a speedy wingers( St. Louis), and picking up Antronpov would be sick!

X-Terminator
01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
i was on hockeybuzz (not reliable but i still like going there) one of them said a Penguin trade is possibly coming.

im guessing that AHL Oiler player is Rob Schremp and the NHL is maybe Dustin Penner (prob not, too high of a salary 4+ million). i guess if we unloaded Satan to Edm.

or could we trying to get Brad Boyes? that would prob be the team going after GoGo then.

i dont know, i would like to see something done but wouldnt be devestated if it didnt. it was kind of a hiccup year for the farm year. next year we will have a lot of people to choose from to play wing.

I'd be pretty pissed off if GoGo is traded, because I just spent over 100 bucks on his jersey. At any rate, while I'd love Brad Boyes coming here, his, ahem, "commitment to defense" is something I'd rather live without - he's currently -22 on the season. Yeah, yeah, he plays for a struggling team, but when you're a scorer like him, you should be better than minus-fricking-22. As for Edmonton, I don't think Penner is the guy they're after, but rather Erik Cole, at the NHL level, along with Rob Schremp in the minors. And there's no way I give up that much for Nik Antropov. Save that kind of deal for someone else. But I do feel that some kind of deal is imminent.

Pittsburghfan
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I read possibly NHL Pouilet (I forget how to spell it) and AHL Rob Schremp.

Unloading Satan would be good possibly. But Orpik and Erik Cole in the same locker room may be distracting.
and I would do that Antropov trade in a heart beat.

One more thing I heard while watching Subway Night Sports Call. Rumour of
To Columbus Staal, Whitney
To Pittsburgh: Nash +. Not too reliable though.

X-Terminator
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I read possibly NHL Pouilet (I forget how to spell it) and AHL Rob Schremp.

Unloading Satan would be good possibly. But Orpik and Erik Cole in the same locker room may be distracting.
and I would do that Antropov trade in a heart beat.

One more thing I heard while watching Subway Night Sports Call. Rumour of
To Columbus Staal, Whitney
To Pittsburgh: Nash +. Not too reliable though.

Marc Pouliot? Um, no. And yes, Cole and Orpik in the same room would be pretty awkward, but then again, this is the same team that acquired Rick Tocchet 3 months after he broke Troy Loney's jaw in 1992, much to Loney's chagrin. All they did was win the Stanley Cup.

Columbus wouldn't trade Rick Nash for all of the gold in Ft. Knox, so forget that.

EDIT: You'd really give up a D prospect in Grant + a 2nd round pick or Biz Nasty for Antropov, who BTW is a center? No way.

Pittsburghfan
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Marc Pouliot? Um, no. And yes, Cole and Orpik in the same room would be pretty awkward, but then again, this is the same team that acquired Rick Tocchet 3 months after he broke Troy Loney's jaw in 1992, much to Loney's chagrin. All they did was win the Stanley Cup.

Columbus wouldn't trade Rick Nash for all of the gold in Ft. Knox, so forget that.

EDIT: You'd really give up a D prospect in Grant + a 2nd round pick or Biz Nasty for Antropov, who BTW is a center? No way.
I got the name wrong. maybe it is marc. The guy I was thinking of plays for Minnesota Wild.

and I know Grant his a big D prospect just that seems like so little to give up ( except the 2nd ) for Antro. I normally can't watch many other games then Pens games but I read a while back Antropov has been playing wing mostly.
Plus, I guess I am over looking Grant as a prospect.

X-Terminator
01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I got the name wrong. maybe it is marc. The guy I was thinking of plays for Minnesota Wild.

and I know Grant his a big D prospect just that seems like so little to give up ( except the 2nd ) for Antro. I normally can't watch many other games then Pens games but I read a while back Antropov has been playing wing mostly.
Plus, I guess I am over looking Grant as a prospect.

You're thinking of Benoit Pouliot - he's the one who plays for Minnesota. Marc Pouliot plays for Edmonton.

Yes, Antropov has mostly been playing wing as Dominic Moore has been centering his line with Alex Ponikarovsky on the other wing. So yeah, maybe they should go after him. The Pens have 2 other D prospects in Carl Sneep and Brian Strait, so maybe they can afford to give up Grant.

X-Terminator
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
c53DZ9iHrJE

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
c53DZ9iHrJE

I'm surprised he didn't get tossed right off the bat. Either way, it may not have made a difference.

Pittsburghfan
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
You think Crosby is a bad fighter watch Alex Semin beat down Marc Staal.

YJffY2lOFME

And sorry I got the Benoit and Marc mixed up. I don't know about giving up Grant.

steelpride12
01-04-2009, 01:35 PM

YJffY2lOFME

And sorry I got the Benoit and Marc mixed up. I don't know about giving up Grant.

Geez my 5 year old nephew hits like that.

pittsburghp8baller
01-04-2009, 03:58 PM

YJffY2lOFME

i laughed SO HARD when i saw that fight, well you cant really call it a fight.

Alex Grant+Biz Nasty+2nd Round for Antropov, ill hold out. too much

As for Brad Boyes, id be hesitant to get him if GoGo was in it especially like u said X, with his great 'defense'. most of his goals ive notice (i have him in fantasy hockey) came on the PP i believe and you wouldnt get a plus for that.

Getting Rick Nash would need us to pony up prob Staal+top six prospect winger (Caputi, Moon, or Pierro-Zabotel maybe Veilleux) and draft picks. No way, too much

pittsburghp8baller
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402157

Pens Morning Skate

Penguins head coach Michel Therrien reconfigured the line combinations heading into Monday's matchup with the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden at 7 p.m.

Tyler Kennedy, who returned Saturday after missing 14 games with a knee injury, will skate alongside Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis. Therrien reunited Ruslan Fedotenko, Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora on the second line. Jordan Staal will center between Matt Cooke and Maxime Talbot, while Miroslav Satan, Dustin Jeffrey and Eric Godard will skate together.

Kennedy has also been elevated to the top power-play unit, where he will play up front with Crosby and Malkin.

Philippe Boucher skated for the second straight day and was deemed healthy enough to play. The Penguins will dress only six of their eight healthy defensemen but Therrien wouldn't reveal which two will sit in the post-practice meeting with the media.

Marc-Andre Fleury, who lost his last three starts, will get the start in goal.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402157

Pens Morning Skate

I like putting the speedy Kennedy with Crosby someone who has not had the chance to prove he can. The only downside is Miro going to what the 4th line. Sure he is a - the last few games, but he is a key we need on the ice taking shots.
Lets hope the Pens can break their streak tonight against the tough good Rangers team and win these next few "easy" games coming up.
Go Pens!

pittsburghp8baller
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I like putting the speedy Kennedy with Crosby someone who has not had the chance to prove he can. The only downside is Miro going to what the 4th line. Sure he is a - the last few games, but he is a key we need on the ice taking shots.
Lets hope the Pens can break their streak tonight against the tough good Rangers team and win these next few "easy" games coming up.
Go Pens!

Satan is def NOT the key, TK will take as many if not more shots than Satan and he will bring the physical play that Satan wont bring.

The only problem is that Satan IS going to be playing on the fourth line, and that will hurt the fourth line and what they are suppoe to bring to the table.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Satan is def NOT the key, TK will take as many if not more shots than Satan and he will bring the physical play that Satan wont bring.

The only problem is that Satan IS going to be playing on the fourth line, and that will hurt the fourth line and what they are suppoe to bring to the table.

Satan is scoring goals for this team and was playing well on the first and second line and you like him getting put to the 4th. Come on at least the 3rd.

Pittsburghfan
01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
There has been a trade.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402224

Did you get excited?
TJ Kemp to Montreal for conditional pick.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
There has been a trade.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402224

Did you get excited?
TJ Kemp to Montreal for conditional pick.

You can never go wrong with getting more draft picks to secure the roster for the Pens. Good move.

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't even handle this clip.

I seriously just watched it 20 times.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Wow really frustrated after this first period. Pens get a 2 minute 5 on 3 nothing. Plus now into 3 normal PP's and nothing. They had prob. 7 good scoring chances, 5 coming from Crosby and every game the last 5 we just cannot get a break. These goal tenders look like gods. King Henry just robbed Crosby on about 5 chances and the Pens 5 on 5 look terrible.

Stinks being frustrated, but i guess the season is early and figure were only 10 points out of first in the division which is nothing on an 81 game season and with over half to play. The Pens stars just need to score and the rest will follow. I believe. GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Now 2-0 end of the second as the Pens once again are falling for another loss making it 6 or 7 im losing count. Something that is bothering me is Whitney's shot. He has not recorded one shot on net but has attempted around 5 all wide to the left or right. GET IT TO THE NET! PP is around 0-6 close to 0-7 as the Rangers are riding a wave of confidence and King Henry is stopping everything so far. 1 period to work their magic. LETS GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Satan is scoring goals for this team and was playing well on the first and second line and you like him getting put to the 4th. Come on at least the 3rd.

i said i didnt like him being put on the fourth line, thats the physical in ur face line and Satan isnt that. he is hurting the 3rd/4th lines as he is hurting the scoring lines currently.

Satan has 12 goals on the year, while he has been a streaky goal scorer in his career, in his last 26 games since scoring 2 against Edmonton he has 4 goals. That's unacceptable. I know everyone has been struggling lately but when you were brought here to score and thats the only thing you bring to the table than im sorry but the fourth line is to good for you.

No more bitching from im just saying what i have seen, im not going everywhere ill be here for every Pens game.

2-0 with one period left, Pens could break out 2-3 goals real easy right here- We jus have to get shots ON NET. we are still missing too many nets, even though we are outshooting them.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
i said i didnt like him being put on the fourth line, thats the physical in ur face line and Satan isnt that. he is hurting the 3rd/4th lines as he is hurting the scoring lines currently.

Satan has 12 goals on the year, while he has been a streaky goal scorer in his career, in his last 26 games since scoring 2 against Edmonton he has 4 goals. That's unacceptable. I know everyone has been struggling lately but when you were brought here to score and thats the only thing you bring to the table than im sorry but the fourth line is to good for you.

No more bitching from im just saying what i have seen, im not going everywhere ill be here for every Pens game.

2-0 with one period left, Pens could break out 2-3 goals real easy right here- We jus have to get shots ON NET. we are still missing too many nets, even though we are outshooting them.

Im here every game too man Pens pride, One goal from the Pens will turn this game around for sure giving the Pens the confidence.

Pittsburghfan
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
3-0 Rags 5 minutes left. It's okay. This slump will get rid of some band wagoners :thumbsup:.

:tt02:

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
3-0 Rags 5 minutes left. It's okay. This slump will get rid of some band wagoners :thumbsup:.

Great point. In school half the kids ive never seen cheer for the Pens have been so quiet not wearing a single thing it's hilarious. Only the real fans will stand and cheer now.:drink:

pittsburghp8baller
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM

IM OUT OF HERE!!!!!

NOT!!

At least score a dam goal!!

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
4-0 game. Dammit!

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Ok Pens losing 4-0 today. Frustration really settling in right now with all the shots and no goals as you have to admit King Henry played lights on. One goal would have change the momentum.
Not happy with Gill and Gologoski being scratched since were looking for offense and good D and Golo can score and Gill play D. Satan as well getting put in on the 4th line will not help him produces goals or points.
Thankfully against a slumping Thrashers team the Pens will score 3+ and get the confidence back in this team right now. Only 10 points out of first a quick turn around and their back in it.
This team sure has a few changes from last season, but overall the core is the same and they need to play like they did when they attacked the net and Fluery played solid in the net. The Pens are slumping, every good team has a slump a certain points this will only make them stronger down the stretch. GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Ok Pens losing 4-0 today. Frustration really settling in right now with all the shots and no goals as you have to admit King Henry played lights on. One goal would have change the momentum.
Not happy with Gill and Gologoski being scratched since were looking for offense and good D and Golo can score and Gill play D. Satan as well getting put in on the 4th line will not help him produces goals or points.
Thankfully against a slumping Thrashers team the Pens will score 3+ and get the confidence back in this team right now. Only 10 points out of first a quick turn around and their back in it.
This team sure has a few changes from last season, but overall the core is the same and they need to play like they did when they attacked the net and Fluery played solid in the net. The Pens are slumping, every good team has a slump a certain points this will only make them stronger down the stretch. GO PENS!

i think Satan is gonna to have to earn his way back up on the top 6 and with the way every1 has been playing that may take a while. the GoGo scratching confuses me a little bit especially with our scoring struggles. want to look ahead and put this game behind and get ready for tommorrow but remember the panthers were slumping too.

Anyone else think now is about time for a Janne Pesonen sighting? we would have to send some1 down so im not sure whether we will/would

X-Terminator
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM

We can only hope. In fact, I expect there to be plenty of no-shows tomorrow night and make it the first game in nearly 2 years that wasn't sold out.

This season is starting to look an awful lot like 05-06 though. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement - I never expected this kind of free-fall after getting off to such a hot start.

The only good thing is that they're still in position to make a playoff run and they're not completely out of the division race being only 9 points down. I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel. The team just needs a win, and a convincing one, to get some of their confidence back. Maybe Atlanta will be just what the doctor ordered.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
We can only hope. In fact, I expect there to be plenty of no-shows tomorrow night and make it the first game in nearly 2 years that wasn't sold out.

This season is starting to look an awful lot like 05-06 though. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement - I never expected this kind of free-fall after getting off to such a hot start.

The only good thing is that they're still in position to make a playoff run and they're not completely out of the division race being only 9 points down. I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel. The team just needs a win, and a convincing one, to get some of their confidence back. Maybe Atlanta will be just what the doctor ordered.

Its just way to early to speak of giving up on a team this early in the season. Think about it were only 10 points out of first place in the division. That 5 lonely wins. We are 1 or 2 wins out of the playoff hunt again and we know the Pens near the end of the season will be on fire again to finish in the top 5 in the eastern conference. No time to give up boys!

RunWillieRun
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
While this is a sad and embarrassing stretch the Pens are going through, I think once they work their way through it they'll be better off.

I would agree that you may see some empty seats tonight.

Hell I just hope they score a damn goal for once!

T.Richardson
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
ugh...I cant stand to see any Pittsburgh team to start losing again...

They better not lose to Atlanta today..

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
2 of the worst teams in the NHL coming up for the Pens and a great way to start a winning streak and end this slump to get back in the race. GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
GOOOALLL! On the 34th PP attempt the Pens finally get a great pass in front of the net to Sykora for the redirect!
Sykora his 14th of the years as the Pens happily take a one nothing lead at the end of the first period.

Great first period from the Pens, i know its Atlanta, but 14 shots and great saves from Fluery and Atlanta's goalie denying this game from being 2-3 to 0 Pens. Looking on fire right now putting the puck to the net. Let Go Pens!

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
GOOALLL! Sykora(15), his second of the night scores a beautiful backhander from a set face off from Malkin as the Pens take a nice 2 goal lead late in the second.

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
GOOOALLLL! Sidney Crosby scores a deflection goal off of a strong slap shot from Malkin redirected in the net from Sid the Kid. 2 out of the 3 goals were on the PP which is a huge plus.

Bad news. Fedo and Dupuis both done for the night with injuries.

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey steelpride - did you see Tank punk Colby Armstrong early in the game? :toofunny: Unfortuantely for Tank, though, he hasn't come back - looked like he injured his hand. What happened to Dupuis? I noticed he's out too.

Kovalchuck scores for the Thrashers. 5:40 to go and Pens ahead 3-1. C'mon guys - you got this one - hold on!!!

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey steelpride - did you see Tank punk Colby Armstrong early in the game? :toofunny: Unfortuantely for Tank, though, he hasn't come back - looked like he injured his hand. What happened to Dupuis? I noticed he's out too.

Kovalchuck scores for the Thrashers. 5:40 to go and Pens ahead 3-1. C'mon guys - you got this one - hold on!!!

O man a light weight battle one chin pop down he goes :toofunny: Yes he is out with a hand injury, and as far as Dupuis goes no one knows I didn't even see him go out.

Fluery is the player of the game he has made save after save and probably around 3 right in front of the net. Hold them strong Fluery. Lets Go Pens!:thumbsup:

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Fleury has played very well tonight and he will be one of the games stars, I would think. Sykora will get the top spot and they'll throw Kovalchuck in there just for shits and giggles.

Under 2 left - hang on Pens!

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Fleury has played very well tonight and he will be one of the games stars, I would think. Sykora will get the top spot and they'll throw Kovalchuck in there just for shits and giggles.

Under 2 left - hang on Pens!

Not to be corny, but call me Dakota ive been here to long! :drink:

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
EDIT: I misunderstood the call.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Colby got dropped with a right cross right to the chin by Fedo - that was awesome, but with the Pens' luck he probably broke his hand and is out for the year.

They boys wake up a little and start shooting the puck, that's a good sign.

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
PENS hold on to win 3-1!!! :banana:

They really needed this win - maybe now they're on their way to a winning streak! :hope:

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
YES! Pens win 3-1 tonight with a strong game from the offense as well as Fluery. Goals from Sykora, Sykora, and Crosby. Plenty of shots on net tonight and an early lead gave them the advantage.
My player of the game is Fluery he made several HUGE saves in front of the net tonight, a few defensive miscues, but overall strong performance from Fluery and a strong win for the Pens finally getting 2 points and the W!

X-Terminator
01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Man, it's nice to finally see them get a win - it's been a long time coming. Hopefully this will get them going in the right direction. But of course, the Pens can't have anything good happen unless something bad happens - Tank and Dupuis both hurt. They just can't seem to get rid of that damn injury bug! :banging:

X-Terminator
01-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Down goes Army! Down goes Army! :sofunny:

0qrqsD5HZiU

HometownGal
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Tank's not a fighter by nature, but it sure was great seeing him clock Colby like that last night! :toofunny::laughing:

Any word yet on his hand injury? Has anyone found out what happened to Dupuis?

X-Terminator
01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Tank's not a fighter by nature, but it sure was great seeing him clock Colby like that last night! :toofunny::laughing:

Any word yet on his hand injury? Has anyone found out what happened to Dupuis?

Tank is supposed to have X-rays today - word is he has a broken hand, which would mean he'd be out 2-4 weeks. As for Dupuis, rumor has it that he has a high ankle sprain, which means 4 weeks minimum. I hope it isn't true!

Fire Haley
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
We're doomed

X-Terminator
01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
:applaudit: :thumbsup:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402856

Penguins, Jordan Staal Agree to Terms on New Four-Year Contract

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with center Jordan Staal on a new four-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

The new contract goes into effect at the start of the 2009-10 season and will run through 2012-13. Staal, 20, will play the remainder of this season under the terms of his entry-level contract. He has played 204 games with the Penguins over three NHL seasons, scoring 52 goals and 39 assists for 91 points, along with 98 penalty minutes

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound native of Thunder Bay, Ontario scored 29 goals as an 18-year-old rookie in 2006-07 and finished second to teammate Evgeni Malkin for the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year.

This season, Staal has 11 goals and 10 assists for 21 points in 41 games. He also became the youngest player in NHL history to play his 200th career game. Staal was the Penguins' first-round pick, second overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

4 years, $16 million - not bad. However, that means there will be $40 million in cap space tied into 7 players next season (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Gonchar, Whitney, Staal, Orpik). That could be a problem if the salary cap stays the same or drops.

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
:applaudit: :thumbsup:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402856

4 years, $16 million - not bad. However, that means there will be $40 million in cap space tied into 7 players next season (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Gonchar, Whitney, Staal, Orpik). That could be a problem if the salary cap stays the same or drops.

thats great news, about keeping Staal but this was what i was worried about. So much money invested into such a few amount of players. The salary cap was suppose to jump up each year for the next few years but we will see

any word on fedotenko? i was reading the preview article on the Pens website and they had him on the projected lines? so is everything good with him

RunWillieRun
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I hope Shero is smart enough to make this a sign and trade. The Pens do not need a 4mil/yr 3rd line center. I know Staal is young and all but this team needs talent on Crosby and Geno's wings. I see this playing out one of three ways:

1. Staal rekindles his rookie season magic and plays well on Sid or Geno's wing or
2. He continues his abysmal offensive output and we're stuck with an overpaid 3rd line center resulting in Sid and Geno playing with 1mil/yr scrub wings for the next 4 years.
3. Staal is traded for a top 6 winger.

Unfortunately, I see #2 as the most probable outcome but I may be wrong...It's happened once before.

X-Terminator
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I hope Shero is smart enough to make this a sign and trade. The Pens do not need a 4mil/yr 3rd line center. I know Staal is young and all but this team needs talent on Crosby and Geno's wings. I see this playing out one of three ways:

1. Staal rekindles his rookie season magic and plays well on Sid or Geno's wing or
2. He continues his abysmal offensive output and we're stuck with an overpaid 3rd line center resulting in Sid and Geno playing with 1mil/yr scrub wings for the next 4 years.

Unfortunately, I see #2 as the most probable outcome but I may be wrong...It's happened once before.

It's not going to be a sign-and-trade - Shero made that clear. If anyone is dealt, it's going to be Ryan Whitney, since GoGo has shown he can play at the NHL level. He has 4 years left on his deal @$4 million per season - perfect trade bait for a team with the winger we need for Sid and is looking for a very good offensive defenseman.

As for Tank, he was scheduled to have X-rays today and is not expected to play tonight.

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 03:34 PM

X is right we aint gonna trade Staal now, we are paying him 4 mil a year to shutdown the oposing teams top line not to re-kindle his 29 goal season.

im glad that we were able to sign him in the middle of the season or else we might of had to pay more than 4 a year.

hopefully, if we are gonna deal whitney, we can get it done before the dealine- a deal like that wouldnt happen overnight

X-Terminator
01-08-2009, 04:58 PM
With no one called up from WBS, the Pens are once again going to put a defenseman at forward - GoGo is playing wing on the 3rd line. Don't like it. Don't like it at all. Also, Staal has been inserted on the right wing on the top line with Sid. Well Jordan, here's your shot to show that you deserved that big contract by potting some goals and becoming the winger that Sid has been looking for.

It's been a good day for Jordan Staal. First, he signed a new four-year contract extension with the Penguins that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2012-13 season. Then, he learned that he will be moved to the top line for the Penguins' matchup with the Nashville Predators at Sommet Center at 8 p.m. Staal is expected to play right wing alongside Sidney Crosby and Tyler Kennedy.

Evgeni Malkin will center the second line with Miroslav Satan and Petr Sykora. Maxime Talbot will handle the third-line duties with Matt Cooke and Alex Goligoski. Tim Wallace, Dustin Jeffrey and Eric Godard will comprise the fourth line.

The defensive pairings will be: Brooks Orpik-Ryan Whitney; Rob Scuderi-Kris Letang; Mark Eaton-Philippe Boucher. Hal Gill will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game.

Marc-Andre Fleury will make his fourth straight start in goal.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402886

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 06:01 PM
With no one called up from WBS, the Pens are once again going to put a defenseman at forward - GoGo is playing wing on the 3rd line. Don't like it. Don't like it at all. Also, Staal has been inserted on the right wing on the top line with Sid. Well Jordan, here's your shot to show that you deserved that big contract by potting some goals and becoming the winger that Sid has been looking for.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402886

that would make things SO much easier if Staal turns around and starts putting the puck in the net.

dont agree with the GoGo playing the third line either, but i gotta figure he will be playing the point on the power play and that where we need him at the point. its gonna be interesting to see how many minutes he will get at forward, either he will play every shift with the third line or they bump up Wallace or Jeffrey for a few shifts here or there

Fire Haley
01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
They should rename the team the 'Penguin Allstars + the Baby Pens'.

It's becoming that.

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I like the signing of Staal i just hope he goes out there and plays like he has just signed a new deal and earn that 4 million a year. Lets hope with the salary cap the Pens can keep the winger with Staal, Malkin, and Crosby unless the trades bring in St. Louis.
Seeing Whitney go would not be a surprise as a team would give up big to pick him up were the young GoGo has the offensive firepower and youth to stay with the Pens for more years and cheaper.
Well Lets go for 2 wins a row for the Pens would be a huge confidence booster going into a tougher opponent like the Avs. GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
They should rename the team the 'Penguin Allstars + the Baby Pens'.

It's becoming that.

Thats how all teams are. they have their all-stars then the role players from their farm team. teams arent stacked top to bottom with all-stars. we decided build up the middle, which of the forward positions thats the one position u need to be the strongest. look at the red wings, they got 4 or 5 solid centers for them.

this is where we need the scouting department to come through and find us a diamond in the rough (could be Luca Caputi or casey pierro-zabotel or a few years down the road Nathan Moon) and find Crosby's winger through the draft.

id rather keep everything we got and then be a NHL dynasty for the next 10+ years then keep trading to win now, and then be in trouble 5-10 years down the road

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
I like the signing of Staal i just hope he goes out there and plays like he has just signed a new deal and earn that 4 million a year. Lets hope with the salary cap the Pens can keep the winger with Staal, Malkin, and Crosby unless the trades bring in St. Louis.
Seeing Whitney go would not be a surprise as a team would give up big to pick him up were the young GoGo has the offensive firepower and youth to stay with the Pens for more years and cheaper.
Well Lets go for 2 wins a row for the Pens would be a huge confidence booster going into a tougher opponent like the Avs. GO PENS!

id pass on St. Louis, he is clearly on the downfall of his career, unless we can get him really cheap i wouldnt trade our future away for him

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 07:40 PM
1-0 Pens!!!! Petr Sykora is on FIRE!!!!

Staal almost had one right before sykora scored

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
GOOOALLL! Great one time from Crosby to Sykora top shelf.
Bad Start from the Pens, but this early goal will lift them!

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Pens up 1-0 after the first with a goal from Sykora, but the Pens are playing pretty bad, fortunate it's 1-0 with the great play of Fluery for the second game in a row now.
13 shots from the predators and the whole game inside the Pens blue line, not good.
Pens need to find a way to rush through the neutral zone and just take shots. 5 a period won't cut it.
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
dam how things can turn

a week or so ago those bounces would of been going AGAINST us but tonight all going our way, two goals off of bounces

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
3 goals off of 9 shots everything is bouncing the Pens way, but the pressure from the Preds are catching up as the cut the lead to 3-1 and still keeping the puck in the Pens zone. Gotta keep scoring.

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow 2 goals great, but by far the worst period i have saw from the Pens this season. First off 0-2 on the PP with the puck stuck in our zone?! And a shorthanded goal! 3 goals in a row for the Preds, last second goal as well could be 4-3 with that last shot.
Here is the toughest stat....Pens 10 shot!? Averaging 5 now a period and the Preds have 30. Right now this is the Pens game to lose in the third. Have to step it up or the Preds will keep scoring.

RunWillieRun
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
what a giant bucket of fail this team has turned into.

pittsburghp8baller
01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
what a giant bucket of fail this team has turned into.

u gonna give up on this team before Feb? ok dont come running back when we are making our run in the playoffs

i think one thing we have learned is that whitney CANT play the off boards on the power play, so stop playing him there!! we have two right handed shots on D now, frecking use them!!!

the Predators have a lot more offensive talent than they are given credit for, it was only a matter of time till they broke lose. and with those great d-man getting the puck on the net and our disability to clear the front of the net only meant trouble for us.

4-3 Predators now, Ryan Suter his 4th of the season- dam they got a great core of d-man

RunWillieRun
01-08-2009, 09:36 PM
u gonna give up on this team before Feb? ok dont come running back when we are making our run in the playoffs

i think one thing we have learned is that whitney CANT play the off boards on the power play, so stop playing him there!! we have two right handed shots on D now, frecking use them!!!

the Predators have a lot more offensive talent than they are given credit for, it was only a matter of time till they broke lose. and with those great d-man getting the puck on the net and our disability to clear the front of the net only meant trouble for us.

4-3 Predators now, Ryan Suter his 4th of the season- dam they got a great core of d-man

I call 'em as I see 'em. This team is horrid right now. Nothing like playing the Penguins to boost the confidence of the Predators, lowest scoring team in the NHL.

X-Terminator
01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
:doh: :dang: :banging:

That is all.

Well, maybe that isn't all - there's been a pretty strong rumor that MT may be fired soon and replaced with Pat Quinn. Can't see it happening, not after the Pens just gave MT a 3-year contract extension. But given how much they've struggled over the past 6 weeks, I won't totally rule it out.

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
5 straight goals and a 3 goal lead all i have to say tonight.

Fire Haley
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
They should have listened to me and fired Therrien a month ago - he had that epic disaster look in his eyes for weeks now,...at least, I could see it.

pittsburghp8baller
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
:doh: :dang: :banging:

That is all.

Well, maybe that isn't all - there's been a pretty strong rumor that MT may be fired soon and replaced with Pat Quinn. Can't see it happening, not after the Pens just gave MT a 3-year contract extension. But given how much they've struggled over the past 6 weeks, I won't totally rule it out.

that has been proven a lie, it was Pat Quinn's 'people' that spread that rumor so that the Senator may jump the gun and hire Quinn

pittsburghp8baller
01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Pittsburgh Penguins Forward Ruslan Fedotenko to Miss Four to Six Weeks with a Broken Hand

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=403175

Penguins forward Ruslan Fedotenko will miss four to six weeks with a broken right hand, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Fedotenko suffered the injury January 6 versus the Atlanta Thrashers and has been placed on injured reserve

Pittsburgh Penguins Recall Forward Chris Minard From Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forward Chris Minard from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Minard enters his third stint this season with Pittsburgh and appeared in five contests with the Penguins in December. The 6-1, 190-pound forward leads the AHL with 26 goals and is tied for second with 41 points (26 goals, 15 assists). Minard leads the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins in goals and points, while posting a plus-11 rating. He has been named a starter for the Canadian All-Stars team at the 2009 AHL All-Star Classic on January 26.

The 27-year old played 15 games with Pittsburgh in 2007-08, registering two points, his first goal and assist in the NHL. Minard collected 42 points (25 goals, 17 assists) along with 33 penalty minutes in 56 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton last season. He also contributed 17 points (11 goals, six assists) and 10 penalty minutes in 23 playoff games, helping the WBS Penguins reach the Calder Cup Finals.

The Owen Sound, Ontario native signed with the Penguins on July 17, 2007.

steelpride12
01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Pittsburgh Penguins Forward Ruslan Fedotenko to Miss Four to Six Weeks with a Broken Hand

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=403175

Pittsburgh Penguins Recall Forward Chris Minard From Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

Does not get any easier for the pens. One of the best players during the slump gone like that in 4-6 weeks. :banging:

Fire Haley
01-09-2009, 03:05 PM
....with the Pens' luck he probably broke his hand and is out for the year.

I hate it when my psychic powers are right

X-Terminator
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
that has been proven a lie, it was Pat Quinn's 'people' that spread that rumor so that the Senator may jump the gun and hire Quinn

Yeah, I found that out not long after I posted that. Figures, though I do think MT is on the hot seat despite what has been said. If they don't beat Colorado tomorrow, he may be out of work on Monday. Just a hunch.

As for Tank's injury, well, I can't say I'm surprised. What's one more Penguin on IR? :banging:

OneForTheToe
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I am happy we signed Staal. It makes sense medium term (out the next four years). I am not that big on making trades this season to fix this team. I am hardly ready to give up on this season, and perfectly understanding if they find a trade that Shero falls in love with, but even in hockey, once and a while, you have to "stay," and let your young talent develop. This team has time because many of its stars are signed long-term to develop its own talent along with some sensible trades.

Yes, it's been frustrating to see them play like this, but as has been stated a gazzilion times, hockey is the toughest sport to recover the next season after a finals loss. We are feeling the 07 "Sens" pain at the moment. Our future is still bright [cue the soundtrack].

pittsburghp8baller
01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I am happy we signed Staal. It makes sense medium term (out the next four years). I am not that big on making trades this season to fix this team. I am hardly ready to give up on this season, and perfectly understanding if they find a trade that Shapiro falls in love with, but even in hockey, once and a while, you have to "stay," and let your young talent develop. This team has time because many of its stars are signed long-term to develop its own talent along with some sensible trades.

Yes, it's been frustrating to see them play like this, but as has been stated a gazzilion times, hockey is the toughest sport to recover the next season after a finals loss. We are feeling the 07 "Sens" pain at the moment. Our future is still bright [cue the soundtrack].

really well put, ive tried making this point several times. we have youth in the system that are nearly ready to play in the NHL, we gotta be patient and let them develop. you cant call it a failed season if we dont win the cup this year, you learn more about yourself during the rough times than the winning times, Shero is learning on who he can count on night in and out to give a 150% effort and those people are gonna be the ones that are part of the teams long term plans.

this is jus another case of the finals hangover, with such a short break in between the finals and the next season with that loss hanging over there heads, its hard to get things going and then to make matters worse- your winger for crosby opts out a 50 million dollar contract for a one year deal, and then your first preseason game your elite defenseman goes down with an injury, this season had slow start written all over it.

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Absolutely AWESOME posts OFTT and pghp8baller! :applaudit::hatsoff::drink: It is SOOOOO refreshing to read some positive feedback instead of all of the negativity that gets spewed about the Pens' slow start.

I don't expect them to win the Cup this season - hell, I never expected them to be in the Stanley Cup finals last season. The Pens fans are almost becoming like some of these FWF Steelers fans - they expect a division title and a Stanley Cup run every damned season and that just isn't realistic!!!

I have every confidence they'll get it together during the break and come back rarin' to go in the 2nd half of thte season.

LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
01-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Absolutely AWESOME posts OFTT and pghp8baller! :applaudit::hatsoff::drink: It is SOOOOO refreshing to read some positive feedback instead of all of the negativity that gets spewed about the Pens' slow start.

I don't expect them to win the Cup this season - hell, I never expected them to be in the Stanley Cup finals last season. The Pens fans are almost becoming like some of these FWF Steelers fans - they expect a division title and a Stanley Cup run every damned season and that just isn't realistic!!!

I have every confidence they'll get it together during the break and come back rarin' to go in the 2nd half of thte season.

LETS GO PENS!

They'll get it together. Right now they start tooling around with these next few games to figure what needs changed.

Don't you worry, the Penguins will be back. It will just be a matter of time. :coffee:

X-Terminator
01-09-2009, 10:06 PM
No, the season isn't over. It's been frustrating and disappointing, but it isn't over. Despite winning just 6 out of their last 18 games, they are still in position to make a run at the playoffs if they get hot again, thanks to getting off to such a fast start (funny how so many Pens fans forget that this season also included one of the best starts in franchise history). I've resisted using injuries as an excuse because every team deals with them, but there is no question that all of the injuries have really hampered this team. You can't lose your top 2 defensemen in Gonchar and Whitney before the season even started, plus lose Fleury, Kennedy, Talbot, Cooke, Zigomanis, Boucher, Gill and now Fedotenko and Dupuis for lengthy periods of time and still find consistency. Couple that with the short summer and preseason, and well, here we are. Yes, I admit that I've done my fair share of bitching and whining this season, but I saw what I was acting like and I didn't like it. I'm behind the team 100% no matter what happens, and I refuse to throw in the towel until they turn out the lights in Mellon Arena for the last time this season.

steelpride12
01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
You know i like the Staal trade i mean look what the kid did his rookie season and remember he is only 20 years old. He is young just like the rest of the Pens and that means we cant expect greatness every season just because they have had 2 amazing seasons.

Im no where near giving up on this season, i feel this slump is helping these youngsters realize and learn from there mistake which willl only help them at the end of the season. Today they play Colorado, another team who has high expectations and are in a slump. A tough Pens win would be a confidence booster right now!
I stand behind our Pens fans when i say we believe!!
GO PENS!

Fire Haley
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Good thing this is an afternoon game - I'm already missing college football on Sat.

KeiselPower99
01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Cant wait to see this afternoons game. Ive always liked Colorado and the Pens. Hope its a good game.

steelpride12
01-10-2009, 02:36 PM
GOOOOOAAAALL! Malkin his 16th of the season a great side to side one timer pass perfectly placed.
Game tied 1-1.

steelpride12
01-10-2009, 03:18 PM
GOOOALLL! The other superstar Crosby with his 17th of the season on the left side of the net beating the goalie.
Game tied 2-2

steelpride12
01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Shoot right after the Staal goal the Avs finish their PP with a goal still holding onto a 2 goal lead in the third. Pens defense needs to step up in the neutral zone and Fluery needs to freeze the puck!

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Pens fall 5-3 to the Avs. Really nothing more to say.

It's going to get better - I can feel it! :tt03:

X-Terminator
01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Pens fall 5-3 to the Avs. Really nothing more to say.

It's going to get better - I can feel it! :tt03:

Nope, can't say anything either other than let's move on to the Flyers on Tuesday night.

Speaking of the Flyers, I was watching the CBC broadcast of the Leafs/Flyers game tonight, and in the 2nd intermission, their studio analysts were talking about the Pens' situation, and it was revealed that the major problem with the team is that the players do not like MT at all, and one even said "it's the worst it's ever been in Pittsburgh." I don't know if that's true, but it's no secret that the players don't like MT - they've been complaining about him since the end of the '06-'07 season. Ruutu was in his doghouse during much of his 2 years here and didn't get along with him. He and Recchi didn't get along and eventually he was released last season. Brooks Orpik almost left this summer partly because of him. There was a rumor that part of the reason why Hossa didn't re-sign was because he didn't like Therrien either, though he's denied it repeatedly. And of course, losing has only made it worse. The CBC panel also said that Shero really likes him even though he inherited him when he took the job, but Lemieux has been putting pressure on him to do whatever it takes to get things right, because he will not accept anything less than making the playoffs. So expect some changes to be made soon, including the possibility of MT being canned halfway through the first season of his new contract.

KeiselPower99
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Both teams needed that game today. Sucks for the Pens but all true champs have a tough stretch in their seasons. Im confident they will power through this. As for MT if they was to fire him who would be proper to replace him???

T.Richardson
01-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Man! What happened to that 15-6-4 start?!

Fire Haley
01-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Fire Therrien if they get blown out tomorrow night against the Flyers - that's what I say.

X-Terminator
01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Pittsburgh Penguins Recall Paul Bissonnette from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-called forward Paul Bissonnette from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Bissonnette, 23, enters his third stint with Pittsburgh and has played a total of eight games with the Penguins this season. He has registered 10 penalty minutes while posting a plus or even rating in seven of his eight appearances. Bissonnette began the season with Pittsburgh, making his NHL debut on Oct. 4 against Ottawa at the NHL Premiere in Stockholm, Sweden. Bissonnette leads Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with 103 penalty minutes, while recording six points (three goals, three assists) in 22 games this season.

The 6-2, 211-pound forward split the 2007-08 season between the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins and the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. Bissonnette tallied eight points (three goals, five assists) along with 146 penalty minutes in 46 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He also recorded 11 penalty minutes in seven playoff contests with the Penguins. Bissonnette collected 17 points (three goals, 14 assists) and 43 penalty minutes with Wheeling before being re-called to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Bissonnette was drafted by the Penguins in the fourth round (121st overall) of the 2003 NHL Draft.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=403868

Obviously recalled for some added muscle against the Flyers tonight. This one should have some physical play after Eric Godard punked Scott Hartnell in the last meeting. Also, MT apparently had a meeting with Mario and Shero and Mario gave him a vote of confidence, so he isn't getting canned. Doesn't mean that there won't be any player moves, though.

Lines tonight:

Cooke-Crosby-Malkin
Minard-Staal-Sykora
Satan-Talbot-Kennedy
Biz Nasty-Jeffrey-Godard

Orpik-Whitney
Gill-Letang
Scuderi-Goligoski

Fleury

Wallace, Eaton and The Waterboy (Boucher) are healthy scratches

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Interesting move putting Malkin on the top line, but hey, you have to try whatever you can get to get a win.

LETS GO PENS!!!

pittsburghp8baller
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Interesting move putting Malkin on the top line, but hey, you have to try whatever you can get to get a win.

LETS GO PENS!!!

i like him playing with Crosby, they were kicking ass against the avalanche.

i dont like the Cooke playing on the top line, if we are going for some grit to play with sid and geno than i would rather have TK up there with them

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal "buttery hands"

3-1 Pens

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
4-1 PITTSBURGH!!!!

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Sid is fired up.

First time we've been winning face-offs since Zigomanis went down. It could be a fluke.

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2009, 08:11 PM
4-2. Have to score more goals.

steelpride12
01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
4-2 and the Pens are producing! Great to see these Pens get some confidence back against a battered Flyers team, a win would mean so much tonight. Finish them off! GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Game Over. Nice Work Tonight Penguins!!!

X-Terminator
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Easily the best game they've played since before Thanksgiving. Well done, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

steelpride12
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Great game and good to see goals from TK and Cooke getting those in front of the net "dirty goals."
Only 10 points out of division tops, nothing our Pens can't accomplish.

X-Terminator
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
OK, I gotta do it again...

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/01/goos.jpg

PHUCK FILLY.

KeiselPower99
01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
This game tonight will be very good. Ovechkin vs Malkin Corsby and Staal. Man I cant wait to watch it.

Fire Haley
01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Let the Ovy / Malkin war begin.

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Let the Ovy / Malkin war begin.

dont forget the the new Sid/Semin rivalry

SteelCityMan786
01-14-2009, 06:47 PM
GENE GENE THE SCORING MACHINE!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Sleppy start for the Penguins, despite the 1-0 lead, too many turnovers in our own half of the rink and havent been able to finish our odd man opportunities.

its always good to be able to have a 1-0 lead after that kind of period though, def got to pick it up a notch though Fleury wont be able to hold them off forever (actually i guess he could but i rather not find out)

btw i hate listening to the games on the Capitals station, id watch it on mute if i wouldnt go crazy from the silence. They are complete IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-14-2009, 08:51 PM
WHO WAS THE GENIUS THAT STARTED FLEURY 2 NIGHTS IN A ROW??!?!?!?!??!?!

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
WHO WAS THE GENIUS THAT STARTED FLEURY 2 NIGHTS IN A ROW??!?!?!?!??!?!

honestly Sabu would of done worse, two important games- two starts for Fleury

Fleury isnt the only one who has played bad tonight, its a collective thing. too many turnovers, open shots in scoring areas and rebound put ins (as much d-mans fault as it is fleury's)

steelpride12
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Turnovers, and who is covering the front of the net tonight? The D has to step up on a man and make the front of the net a scary place. Knock them out!

Fire Haley
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
6-3

Holy kee-rist what a horrible game.

Talbot hurt, Scuderi hurt , Sid blows out his knee - how much worse can it get?

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
6-3

Holy kee-rist what a horrible game.

Talbot hurt, Scuderi hurt , Sid blows out his knee - how much worse can it get?

thats a question that you dont want to ask right now, cause it can get worse

SteelCityMan786
01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
honestly Sabu would of done worse, two important games- two starts for Fleury

Fleury isnt the only one who has played bad tonight, its a collective thing. too many turnovers, open shots in scoring areas and rebound put ins (as much d-mans fault as it is fleury's)

True, but either way, Fleury has not been consistant with his performances lately.

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Turnovers, and who is covering the front of the net tonight? The D has to step up on a man and make the front of the net a scary place. Knock them out!

the answer to that is- NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel all dirty saying this but i thought one of the Capitals annoucers made a great point. he was talking on how having erskine back in the lineup for the capitals would boost their D because he brings that mean streak, he makes people think twice about standing in front of the net. Thats what we need, some1 with one of those big ugly grills who jus hell to play against. i really dont see that from any1 right now, not even Orpik, he is hell along the boards but he is jus like whitney in front of the net

X-Terminator
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
This quite simply has been the season from hell. There's no other way to describe it. Every time you think things are getting better, something else happens. With all of these injuries, the Pens may not have enough guys to field a team. Let's just hope that none of these injuries are too serious, though it doesn't look that way.

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
True, but either way, Fleury has not been consistant with his performances lately.

true, but the D needs to realize that and bail him out every so often and cut back some of these shots.

i just didnt see no where the same effort tonight that we put in against philly. i could be wrong but it looked like we bailed on the system that we ran last night, whether it was in the neutral zone or in the offensive zone, Crosby-Malkin-Cooke did a great job cycling it down low and moving it around the net against the flyers but tonight they were back trying to be fansy and pass it cross ice back and forth

X-Terminator
01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
true, but the D needs to realize that and bail him out every so often and cut back some of these shots.

i just didnt see no where the same effort tonight that we put in against philly. i could be wrong but it looked like we bailed on the system that we ran last night, whether it was in the neutral zone or in the offensive zone, Crosby-Malkin-Cooke did a great job cycling it down low and moving it around the net against the flyers but tonight they were back trying to be fansy and pass it cross ice back and forth

They were in the game for 2 periods despite being down 2 players for most of the game. I just think they ran out of gas because a lot of guys had to play more minutes than they otherwise would have due to being short-handed, and after they just played last night. I'm not going to get on them too much for that - it's a LOT to overcome, especially against a team as talented as the Caps.

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
This quite simply has been the season from hell. There's no other way to describe it. Every time you think things are getting better, something else happens. With all of these injuries, the Pens may not have enough guys to field a team. Let's just hope that none of these injuries are too serious, though it doesn't look that way.

Scuds shouldnt be that bad, worst case he wears a sheild for a couple of games looked like the same thing that happened to volchenkov last year, a pressure cut. all depends on the swelling and if he can fit his helmet on. luckily we have tommorrow off, so he may play tommorrow and we are gonna need him the most of our d-man.

despite that goal, which i missed, am i the only the thinking that Whitney has been getting worse and worse each game? he shys away every time he is about to get hit with the puck which usually leads to a turnover and since a d-man was carrying the puck that usually leads to a odd-man rush the other way

Fire Haley
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
The Pens are an AHL team now with all the replacements 5'10 180, and soft.

Sid's injury looked bad - real bad. Season ending kind of bad. First I thought it looked like he broke his hip, then I saw his knee get hit from side, and him get bent in half.

X-Terminator
01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Scuds shouldnt be that bad, worst case he wears a sheild for a couple of games looked like the same thing that happened to volchenkov last year, a pressure cut. all depends on the swelling and if he can fit his helmet on. luckily we have tommorrow off, so he may play tommorrow and we are gonna need him the most of our d-man.

despite that goal, which i missed, am i the only the thinking that Whitney has been getting worse and worse each game? he shys away every time he is about to get hit with the puck which usually leads to a turnover and since a d-man was carrying the puck that usually leads to a odd-man rush the other way

Really, that's the way Whitney has played his entire career. He's about as physical as my pillow, and that my friend is the main reason why he took so much heat last year.

I hope you're right about Scuds and Killer is wrong about Sid.

pittsburghp8baller
01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Really, that's the way Whitney has played his entire career. He's about as physical as my pillow, and that my friend is the main reason why he took so much heat last year.

I hope you're right about Scuds and Killer is wrong about Sid.

i had a knock at my door around the time sid went down and missed it and of course the Capitals channel wouldnt replay it, i recorded it so ill go back on it and see it.

i dont see why he isnt taking more heat now when we are actually losing now, he is still logging around 25+ minutes.

Scuds didnt look to bad, i mean there was blood yes but he didnt look woozy or anything like that, jus a bad cut and it did look like it hit his helmet. i played defense for 7 years, ive taken pucks off jus about every part of my body, and even took a few in the head. those helmets are strong, as long as he took it off the helmet in should be in much better shape then taking it in the face

Fire Haley
01-15-2009, 04:45 AM
After the game, Sid said he didn't think the injury was too severe, whatever that means.

pittsburghp8baller
01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
After the game, Sid said he didn't think the injury was too severe, whatever that means.

he was able to put weight on his leg slightly when he was leaving the ice, so hopefully that means all will be fine, at worst he misses the ducks game.

during these times its easy to think the worst of things, but u gotta stay hopeful, that it is nothing and that if he doesnt play tommorrow then its jus as a precaution

pittsburghp8baller
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Gonchar Back at Practice; Crosby Absent

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar participated in the team's optional practice on Thursday afternoon at Mellon Arena.

Gonchar, who wore a red "no contact" jersey, took part in his first team practice after doing drills on his own for a couple of weeks.

None of players that were injured in the team's 6-3 loss against Washington on Wednesday participated. Absent were Sidney Crosby, Maxime Talbot and Rob Scuderi.

Crosby collided with Washington's David Steckel along the boards and fell awkwardly to the ice. Crosby hobbled to the bench with the aid of an NHL linesman. At the first stop in play, Crosby left the ice and went to the Penguins locker room.

Crosby was unavailable for comment following the game and there was no immediate update on his condition or the severity of the injury.

Scuderi left the game in the first period after a shot hit him in the face. He did not return in the game. Talbot was lost early in the third period and did not return.

Forward Pascal Dupuis, who missed the past four games with an undisclosed injury, skated before practice with strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar.

steelpride12
01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Ahh Guys this is terrible. 3 injuries last night. I think all will be able to recover in around 2-6 weeks max. Sid man we need him more than anyone right now, losing our leader would be a low blow, but remember what the Pens did last season with injuries.

Somewhere along the ling the defense has to step up and do something. They are not covering the front of the net and giving up the best and easiest opportunities. Yes it is on Fluery and Sabo as well they need to get there GAA to around 2.50 and let the D take it from there.

Fire Haley
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
It's not the netminders fault when guys are left open standing right in front of the net every game with no one moving them.

We miss Malone.

pittsburghp8baller
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
It's not the netminders fault when guys are left open standing right in front of the net every game with no one moving them.

We miss Malone.

its on both of them, Fleury should be in more control of his rebounds and when he happens to let rebound lose the defense got to clear the front when big rebounds happen.

Malone wouldnt help all that much more, maybe in the offensive zone in front of the net but not so much in the defensive zone as wingers dont usually hang in front of the net

and with how much Tampa overpaid him for, ill wait a year for Caputi to be ready

steelpride12
01-15-2009, 07:12 PM
its on both of them, Fleury should be in more control of his rebounds and when he happens to let rebound lose the defense got to clear the front when big rebounds happen.

Malone wouldnt help all that much more, maybe in the offensive zone in front of the net but not so much in the defensive zone as wingers dont usually hang in front of the net

and with how much Tampa overpaid him for, ill wait a year for Caputi to be ready

I have noticed that Fluery is just not handling the puck as well. Giving up too many second chances and dirty goals. Yes we have alot of new faces on the team, but were the same as least years team and im hoping that Gonchar will direct and open the offense and defense as well.

X-Terminator
01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Just found out from another board that the Pens will be without Sid, Max, Dupuis, Scuderi and Letang tonight. Of course, they are already without Ziggy, Tank and Sarge.

Simply unbelievable. :banging: :doh:

pittsburghp8baller
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Just found out from another board that the Pens will be without Sid, Max, Dupuis, Scuderi and Letang tonight. Of course, they are already without Ziggy, Tank and Sarge.

Simply unbelievable. :banging: :doh:

i hadnt heard Letang out, the Pens website had an article with our injury report on it and Letang wasnt on it. this is getting crazy bad, Pens also recalled Janne Pesonen, i guess they are at the point when dressing seven d-man wont help or i guess its cause they cant dress 7 d-man right now if Letang out

steelpride12
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Geez so unfair how a team on a losing streak never gets a break, now with injuries the Pens need to find a way to get some wins. Come on Pens.

X-Terminator
01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
i hadnt heard Letang out, the Pens website had an article with our injury report on it and Letang wasnt on it. this is getting crazy bad, Pens also recalled Janne Pesonen, i guess they are at the point when dressing seven d-man wont help or i guess its cause they cant dress 7 d-man right now if Letang out

They just recalled Bill Thomas as well.

Somebody must really, really hate us...

Here's a link:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/morning-skate-update-scuderi-talbot-officially-out/5788/

updated: 12:03 p.m. - The Penguins have called up Bill Thomas according to a source. Sources tell me Thomas will center the Penguins fourth line. more to come
Updated: 11:42 a.m. - Sidney Crosby just confirmed to the media following the morning skate that he will not play tonight. Crosby's skating looked good and if all goes well he should return on Sunday when the Penguins face-off against the Rangers.
Kris Letang, Pascal Dupuis, Sidney Crosby, Rob Scuderi and Max Talbot will also miss tonight's game.
Dupuis went through a full workout but as I mentioned yesterday his skating is not 100% yet. Although much improved today from yesterday and he looks to be on target to return on Sunday.
Letang will likely just miss tonight's game according to sources.
Orpik - Whitney, Goligoski - Gill, Eaton - Boucher were the Penguins D-Pairs in the morning skate.

pittsburghp8baller
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
They just recalled Bill Thomas as well.

Somebody must really, really hate us...

Here's a link:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/morning-skate-update-scuderi-talbot-officially-out/5788/

Really, really, really, really hate us.

this is getting bad, i havent seen this many injuries in a while.

i was going through the 'official' Penguins Message Board- what a bunch of idiots!!! most of them were talking like trading Staal for Nik Antropov straight up would solve ALL of our problems. some others bascially were saying that since Staal hasnt scored more than 50 points in a season he is a bust. i try my best not to go there but, sometimes to cheer myself i go and listen to all of the stupid trade ideas (one said GoGo for Frolov straight up is even?) and end of the world speeches.

Not many on this board talk about hockey, but i know-
1. They all know what they are talking about
2. Understand the game
3. Wont give up on the season untill we are officially eliminated, even then most here would still tune in and keep up with the team, that board would go dead once we get eliminated for a few weeks

X-Terminator
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Really, really, really, really hate us.

this is getting bad, i havent seen this many injuries in a while.

i was going through the 'official' Penguins Message Board- what a bunch of idiots!!! most of them were talking like trading Staal for Nik Antropov straight up would solve ALL of our problems. some others bascially were saying that since Staal hasnt scored more than 50 points in a season he is a bust. i try my best not to go there but, sometimes to cheer myself i go and listen to all of the stupid trade ideas (one said GoGo for Frolov straight up is even?) and end of the world speeches.

Not many on this board talk about hockey, but i know-
1. They all know what they are talking about
2. Understand the game
3. Wont give up on the season untill we are officially eliminated, even then most here would still tune in and keep up with the team, that board would go dead once we get eliminated for a few weeks

I joined the Pens' official board for one day 3 years ago and left. They are the biggest bunch of idiots I've ever seen - they know absolutely nothing about the sport and are about as bandwagon and fair-weathered as it gets. Staal for Antropov straight up? ANTROPOV??? Why the hell would you trade a 20 year old soon-to-be superstar for a nearly 29-year old who's never scored 30 goals in a season in his career? Please. GoGo for Frolov? Man, I'm getting indigestion just thinking about it. I can't read that forum - I get enough dealing with doom-and-gloom fair-weather fans on this board.

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I joined the Pens' official board for one day 3 years ago and left. They are the biggest bunch of idiots I've ever seen - they know absolutely nothing about the sport and are about as bandwagon and fair-weathered as it gets. Staal for Antropov straight up? ANTROPOV??? Why the hell would you trade a 20 year old soon-to-be superstar for a nearly 29-year old who's never scored 30 goals in a season in his career? Please. GoGo for Frolov? Man, I'm getting indigestion just thinking about it. I can't read that forum - I get enough dealing with doom-and-gloom fair-weather fans on this board.

Pens Underground has a few knowledgeable fans. Yet some irritating to.

Why trade a guy who is going to be a star eventually for someone who is coming up past his prime? Makes no sense. Glad I left that site.

HometownGal
01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I can't read that forum - I get enough dealing with doom-and-gloom fair-weather fans on this board.

As much as I love you to death, XT - not too long ago, I would have lumped you in with those doom-and-gloom fair-weather fans.

Hopefully, you've seen the light and are going to give this team, who has been decimated with injuries since pre-season, a chance to come back as they have done the past two seasons after the break.

If the Pens fall to the Ducks tonight - remember - I'm driving and I'll drop your hiney off in the Hill if I hear any whining outta you. :wink02::chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
As much as I love you to death, XT - not too long ago, I would have lumped you in with those doom-and-gloom fair-weather fans.

Hopefully, you've seen the light and are going to give this team, who has been decimated with injuries since pre-season, a chance to come back as they have done the past two seasons after the break.

If the Pens fall to the Ducks tonight - remember - I'm driving and I'll drop your hiney off in the Hill if I hear any whining outta you. :wink02::chuckle:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: You've been warned XT. lol.

HometownGal
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: You've been warned XT. lol.

LOL! :laughing: He knows I'm jerking his chain . . . well . . .not totally. :chuckle:

pittsburghp8baller
01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
LOL! :laughing: He knows I'm jerking his chain . . . well . . .not totally. :chuckle:

have fun tonight, i have to watch the game from my computer tonight, so i expect it to be a little laggy tonight depending on how the internet is at my cousins house.

was looking forward to seeing the top two picks of the 05 draft play tonight, especially with how good both have played lately but ill have to settle to seeing the number two pick only in action. Bobby Ryan is that rare mixture of size and speed, and he is learning to use them- quickly. he is the kind of player that can give us fits, fast enough to get around our d-man and strong enough to not be bullied by our less-than-physical defenseman (im hoping Orpik will be shadowing him but he will probably be busy covering the Kunitz-Getzlaf-Perry line)

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM

Mar, I just thought I'd add in on the joke. lol.

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Cooke makes it a 1-0 Penguins Lead.

pittsburghp8baller
01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
good first period, good hitting nice opportunities and of course, a 1-0 lead for the Pens. Matt Cooke again showing he deserves to be on the first line. Ducks are 0-9-1 when trailing after one, so keep the pressure going!

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 08:00 PM
2-1 Pens. Cooke with his 2nd and Getzlaf with the Ducks Goal.

Fire Haley
01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
The All Baby Pens line is holding their own.

Fleury made some sparkling saves after flubbing around trying to handle the puck and giving up more bounces in front of the net.

pittsburghp8baller
01-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Bill Thomas is playing incredible right now, def earning his ice time.

with some more ice time i think Pesonen will start putting the puck in the net, he needs a little more experience with shooting lanes but he is coming along nicely.

Boucher with another bone-headed play, Scuds or Letang need to get back so we can send him back to the press box

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
GILL!!!!!!!

Penguins Lead 3-1.

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Great Win. Just the only thing I don't like is the fact they didn't score an empty net goal.

Fire Haley
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Orpik is hurt now too.

He left at the end of the 2nd and never returned.

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Orpik is hurt now too.

He left at the end of the 2nd and never returned.

It's like the Pens can't just win, and keep everyone healthy.

steelpride12
01-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Seems like the Pens win games with injury, but with a healthy team cannot pull out wins. O well im going Sunday, if injuries mean win lets go baby Pens!

Fire Haley
01-17-2009, 09:40 AM
A little bit of good news...

Orpik said after the game his injury was not serious and should not force him to miss significant time.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_607617.html

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Seems like the Pens win games with injury, but with a healthy team cannot pull out wins. O well im going Sunday, if injuries mean win lets go baby Pens!

I prefer victory without the Penguins suffering an injury.

Pittsburghfan
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Pens Acquire Goaltender Mathieu Garon

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired goaltender Mathieu Garon from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for goaltender Dany Sabourin, forward Ryan Stone and a fourth round draft pick in the 2011 Entry Draft, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=404781

Fire Haley
01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Bye Dany boy - you had a good run for awhile there, but the magic died.

X-Terminator
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Garon is an upgrade over Sabourin, but 2 players and a pick? Don't quite understand that.

Nice game and win last night - the Pens played a patient and gritty game and were rewarded. They held the Ducks to just 22 shots on goal and outhit them as well. There's no reason why they can't play that way every night even when Sid, Dupuis and Letang get back into the lineup tomorrow against the dirty Rags. That's how you win games - by outworking your opponent.

Fire Haley
01-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Pens were playing the neutral zone trap - it worked pretty good.

pittsburghp8baller
01-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Pens were playing the neutral zone trap - it worked pretty good.

if you play it right, it will always work i jus dont know why the Pens go away from it sometimes.

the trade is a interesting one, Garon is an upgrade, but to give up that much? i guess we finally gave up on Ryan Stone, which is a shame he was on of my favorite players on WBS, he jus could never play consistant enough while in Pittsburgh i guess.

hopefully this wakes Fleury up, now that we have a proven goaltender. right now i gotta say this is a win for us, though.

steelpride12
01-17-2009, 12:51 PM
if you play it right, it will always work i jus dont know why the Pens go away from it sometimes.

the trade is a interesting one, Garon is an upgrade, but to give up that much? i guess we finally gave up on Ryan Stone, which is a shame he was on of my favorite players on WBS, he jus could never play consistant enough while in Pittsburgh i guess.

hopefully this wakes Fleury up, now that we have a proven goaltender. right now i gotta say this is a win for us, though.

Upgrade yes but 2 other picks and Ryan Stone one of the most promising im not to sure about. He only has a 6-8 record and .896 save percentage and 3.17 goals against which is not that great.

pittsburghp8baller
01-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Upgrade yes but 2 other picks and Ryan Stone one of the most promising im not to sure about. He only has a 6-8 record and .896 save percentage and 3.17 goals against which is not that great.

it was jus one pick, and Sabu was 6-8-1 with a .898 save percentage and his GAA average has been dropping so they are about even or would be even in a little. i guess the Pens jus figured with all the people stepping up with all the recent injuries and Ryan Stone being the ones who couldnt get the call-up, he was expandable. we will see how it works out, we play back-to-back coming up so im guessing we will get our first viewing of him coming up this week

Fire Haley
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
hopefully this wakes Fleury up

Fleury has reverted back to his old ways of giving up rebounds, poor puck handling and over-reacting on some shots.

He doesn't look at all like the rock steady, calm way he was playing in the playoffs.

Of course, our D is nowhere near what they used to be. I guess it goes hand in hand.

I like the trade - we got enough superstars we won't be needing to find any new ones from the dustbin somewhere.

pittsburghp8baller
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Fleury has reverted back to his old ways of giving up rebounds, poor puck handling and over-reacting on some shots.

He doesn't look at all like the rock steady, calm way he was playing in the playoffs.

Of course, our D is nowhere near what they used to be. I guess it goes hand in hand.

I like the trade - we got enough superstars we won't be needing to find any new ones from the dustbin somewhere.

if you have noticed, Fleury has played better with thick competition behind him, u see what he did with ty conklin breathing down his neck? Fleury will be fine, he has been making strides getting back to his elite self. he needs to cut back on the rebound opportunities or at least work better at deflected them AWAY from the net. the D needs to help out too and not give so many second opportunitys, but like u said it goes hand in hand.

OneForTheToe
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know much about Garon, but I was never very impressed with Sabourin or Stone. I remember watching a Pens game about a month ago that they lost in a shoot-out (can't recall who they were playing). Sabourin didn't even come close to stopping a single shot in the shoot-out. IIRC, he actually had played ok during the game itself. He just seemed way over his head with the game on the line. Fleury is not having a great season, but at least I know he is capable of stepping up his game. FWIW, I felt the same way about Conklin.

Now, does anyone know if Garon is under contract for next season or if this is a one year deal?

pittsburghp8baller
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Now, does anyone know if Garon is under contract for next season or if this is a one year deal?

he is only under contract for this season, im guessing John Curry will take over the role next season

X-Terminator
01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
if you have noticed, Fleury has played better with thick competition behind him, u see what he did with ty conklin breathing down his neck? Fleury will be fine, he has been making strides getting back to his elite self. he needs to cut back on the rebound opportunities or at least work better at deflected them AWAY from the net. the D needs to help out too and not give so many second opportunitys, but like u said it goes hand in hand.

I was actually thinking this earlier - Garon will definitely push Fleury the way Conklin did last season, something that Sabourin just isn't capable of. The Oil almost made the playoffs last season in large part because of the way Garon played down the stretch and took the job away from Dwayne Roloson. And the reason why his numbers weren't that great this season is because their D isn't all that great - Souray and Visnovsky are great offensively but are mediocre defensively and the rest of the D other than Steve Staios are young. Plus, Garon is lights-out in shootouts. Yeah, I think they gave up a bit more than I'd like, but it's a good trade overall to shore up the goaltending.

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Alright the Pens have not won 2 games in a row since November and this would be a good team to do it against. See how the Pens play with the return of Crosby, Scuds, and Letang.
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 11:48 AM
GOOALLLL! Minard his first of the season with a great pass from Sykora behind the net.
Pens are on fire right now getting ample opportunities so far, and I love the Terrible Towels in the crowd!
GO PENS!

T.Richardson
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
2-0 Pens!

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
GOOOALLL!! Tyler Kennedy his 8th of the season a great transition goal as the Pens take a demanding 2-0 as the are just hogging that puck in the Rangers zone.

I love the play of blocking up and holding the neutral zone, Ottowa Did it to us 2 seasons ago in the first round of the playoffs and it truly is working. The Rangers are not getting through and when they do they don't have many good shots.

Still a few open rebounds from Fluery, but he is shutting them out so far. Great look from the Pens. We miss that.
GO PENS!

T.Richardson
01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
wtf? the channel blacked out on me! Did this happen to anyone here?

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Nope sorry.

T.Richardson
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM
eff this! Im watching That 70's Show...

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 12:46 PM
WOW GOOOALLL! Sykora a beautiful pass from Whitney behind the defense and a break away shot score. Pens just are on fire today playing with such passion, and like the old Pens used to play. Pens up 3-0
GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Malkin just Lit Up Zherdev!!!

Fire Haley
01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
3-0 and all I've got is stadium sound, no announcers.

pittsburghp8baller
01-18-2009, 01:04 PM
ATDHE.NET

if ur game is blacked out go to this site, thats wat im watching the game on right now i think the channel is down everywhere (probably a rangers fan controlling NBC)

Pittsburghfan
01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
NBC is fine for me.. Not sure where you guys are.

jjpro11
01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
what a great day in pittsburgh.. wish i could be at the games.

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Ya no blackout for me. Got Comcast? Is it Direct TV.

pittsburghp8baller
01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
i guess i shouldnt say blacked out, the channel is jus down which is retarded.

best two periods we have played back-to-back in a while

T.Richardson
01-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Ya no blackout for me. Got Comcast? Is it Direct TV.

Well, I have DirecTV, but I dont know what happened though...

T.Richardson
01-18-2009, 01:26 PM
ATDHE.NET

if ur game is blacked out go to this site, thats wat im watching the game on right now i think the channel is down everywhere (probably a rangers fan controlling NBC)

I'll try that.

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Fluery 28 shots, 28 Saves.

Steelcitygal87
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Great game for the Pens. :tt03::tt03: Loved seeing those towels wavin!

KeiselPower99
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Saw Fleury rockin the gold Steelers helmet waving the terrible towel after the game...That got me ready for the game tonight.

steelpride12
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Amazing win by the Pens getting the shut out on a very strong Rangers team and Fluery stopping 33 shots and a huge confidence booster today 3-0.

The Neutral zone trap worked perfectly and has the last few games giving up less chances, and with Fluery stopping more rebounds the pressure is off the D.

Pittsburghfan
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Saw Fleury rockin the gold Steelers helmet waving the terrible towel after the game...That got me ready for the game tonight.

That and hearing Renegade in the backround.

steelersfanman92
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
They played a great game Fleury really needed a confidence boost like he got today

HometownGal
01-18-2009, 02:46 PM
What a great game by the Pens and Fleury! :applaudit::hatsoff: Nice to see some of the little guys step up and score! :tt03:

X-Terminator
01-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Great game by the Pens and a great way to kick off what hopefully will be an awesome day! :tt03:

Pittsburghfan
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3554/fleurytowelrh4.jpg

For those of you who didn't see Fleury's Steelers outfit.

stlrtruck
01-18-2009, 10:55 PM

That was a beautiful sight to see.

KeiselPower99
01-18-2009, 11:03 PM

The helmet really went well with the blue jerseys.

SteelCityMan786
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Cheapest Tickets to a Penguins Game:$50
Cheapest Tickets to the Steelers AFC Title Game:$110
Watching the Steelers and Penguins win in the same day:PRICELESS

SteelCityMan786
01-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice work by the Penguins yesterday. I guess now the Penguins will win the other 2 games against the Rangers since they're at home.

steelpride12
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Alright guys another great chance to get another win and make it three in a row to get them in the midst of the playoff race, the 8th spot won't hold. Carolina before yesterdays win has lost the last 5 and are 10th in the standings. A performance like they had against the Rangers and a strong neutral zone trap to shut down Staal will bring another hard fought and earned W!
GO PENS!

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Fleury had his god hat on for awhile - he was stopping everything.

Good to see some of the guys coming back - Kennedy is looking good.

1-1

steelpride12
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow i am sick to my stomach and pretty pissed off man. Every team we play the goalies always play there best games against us. Ward really making those ridiculous saves, and the Pens having a 4:00 PP with an extra attacker in the last 2 cannot get a goal. The boo's from the crowd and now a rough 3 games behind the Panthers for the 8th place spot, now sitting in 10th.

Im just hoping the break they can do some soul searching and get alot healthier and have everyone back other than Gonchar, and have a huge end of the season run to get back in the playoffs and become deadly again!
Come on Pens.

pittsburghp8baller
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow i am sick to my stomach and pretty pissed off man. Every team we play the goalies always play there best games against us. Ward really making those ridiculous saves, and the Pens having a 4:00 PP with an extra attacker in the last 2 cannot get a goal. The boo's from the crowd and now a rough 3 games behind the Panthers for the 8th place spot, now sitting in 10th.

Im just hoping the break they can do some soul searching and get alot healthier and have everyone back other than Gonchar, and have a huge end of the season run to get back in the playoffs and become deadly again!
Come on Pens.

playoffs dont go by games, by points. with that loss we are now tied for ninth with florida with 50 points. Carolina jumped to 8th with that win.

tough loss, Ward played out of this world. cant be too mad when we gave it our all, its jus Ward played better. this isnt a bad spot to be in goin into the all-star break, we get hot and then we are right back in it, we are only 2 points out of a playoff spot, 10 out of the division lead. we get really hot, we can still take the division.

Fire Haley
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
100% correct.

It's all about the points.

And the Pens don't have them.

steelpride12
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
playoffs dont go by games, by points. with that loss we are now tied for ninth with florida with 50 points. Carolina jumped to 8th with that win.

tough loss, Ward played out of this world. cant be too mad when we gave it our all, its jus Ward played better. this isnt a bad spot to be in goin into the all-star break, we get hot and then we are right back in it, we are only 2 points out of a playoff spot, 10 out of the division lead. we get really hot, we can still take the division.

Yes man honestly not worried just get worked up with all these good goalies playing their best against us. Im really expecting a great turnaround after the all star break, and Fluery the last 3 games has really stepped it up and with hopefully Dupuis, and Talbot returning will be another huge boost.

pittsburghp8baller
01-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Yes man honestly not worried just get worked up with all these good goalies playing their best against us. Im really expecting a great turnaround after the all star break, and Fluery the last 3 games has really stepped it up and with hopefully Dupuis, and Talbot returning will be another huge boost.

absolutely right, it def looks like he has turned the corner, and at the time we need him the most. Lets hope the break wakes every1 up, maybe playing in the all-star game will pump Geno and Sid (even Letang who is playing in the youngstars game) and they come out firing.

X-Terminator
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
If you want more proof that Gary Bettman has lost his marbles? Get this:

Pittsburgh has no intention of testing NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's threat to suspend those who choose not show in Montreal for this weekends All-Star festivities.

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby is en route to Montreal and will arrive early this afternoon to fully participate in all off-ice All-Star activities.

The NHL says it will enforce an understanding that all players who decline to show after being named to the All-Star teams must miss at least one game before or one game after the All-Star weekend.

If so, Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom may be forced to sit the Red Wings next game if they don't immediately change their All-Star break plans and report to Montreal.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264365&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

So let me get this straight...Gary Bettman is threatening to suspend Crosby, Datsyuk and Lidstrom because they chose not to attend the All-Star Game? Are you friggin kidding me? Sid is nursing a bruised knee and took 2 shots off the arm on Tuesday night and wanted the time off to heal up, but Bettman evidently doesn't give a shit about that, he HAS to report to his precious All-Star Weekend and have risk aggravating his injuries in order to make his punk ass happy. Gary, it's bad enough you've taken the game away from its roots and turned it into the sissified Disney On Ice we see today, but this is just flat-out ridiculous.

Cheap shots/hits from behind - no more than a couple of games suspension.
Miss the ASG - mandatory 1-game suspension

Where's the logic???

SteelCityMan786
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM

So let me get this straight...Gary Bettman is threatening to suspend Crosby, Datsyuk and Lidstrom because they chose not to attend the All-Star Game? Are you friggin kidding me? Sid is nursing a bruised knee and took 2 shots off the arm on Tuesday night and wanted the time off to heal up, but Bettman evidently doesn't give a shit about that, he HAS to report to his precious All-Star Weekend and have risk aggravating his injuries in order to make his punk ass happy. Gary, it's bad enough you've taken the game away from its roots and turned it into the sissified Disney On Ice we see today, but this is just flat-out ridiculous.

Where's the logic???

I'm surprised no one has threatened to have him overthrown.

pittsburghp8baller
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Where's the logic???

there is no logic in it. its been finalized that Datsyuk and Lidstrom will miss the first game after the all-star break. its desperation. thats about it, he feels that he is gonna have to force players to play in the all-star game now to keep the game alive.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Malkin won the accuracy competition going 4/4 in the first round and then 3/4 in the tiebreaker to win it

HometownGal
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Malkin won the accuracy competition going 4/4 in the first round and then 3/4 in the tiebreaker to win it

Awesome!!! :thumbsup::applaudit:

X-Terminator
01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
That's precisely why Malkin needs to be the trigger man on the half-boards. He's deadly accurate even with his slapshot. It's kind of amazing that he only has 19 goals so far this season with that shot of his and would not hit 40 at this pace. Hopefully he'll start filling the net himself while still setting everyone else up.

BTW, apparently Geno and AO have been palling around quite a bit up there and posed in a picture together shaking hands. They even went out together with Alex Kovalev and Ilya Kovalchuk last night. So maybe the alleged tension between them was overblown? Ovechkin thinks so. I just thought it was interesting.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=406038

MONTREAL -- Apparently, the alleged animosity between Russian superstars Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin is over…that is, if it ever truly existed.

“We’re friends,” Malkin said. “We spoke earlier before the media. It’s not bad. It’s not a problem.”

Alex Ovechkin grinned when asked about the supposed feud.

“It’s always the same questions,” Ovechkin said. “We shook hands. We’re good. (The dispute is) made up by the media.”

In a quest for a détente, the two All-Stars posed for a photo during the NHL’s media availability Friday afternoon and even discussed plans for later that evening.

“He asked, ‘What you doing tonight?” Malkin explained to a few curious media members. “I said, ‘Nothing.’ He said, ‘Maybe we can go out tonight.’ I said, ‘Maybe, why not?’ We spoke, all the Russian guys, (Ilya) Kovalchuk and (Alex) Kovalev. We talked before about maybe going out.”

When Ovechkin was asked about going out with his fellow countrymen, the Capitals winger quipped:

“I don’t know about Malkin.”

“No, we’re good,” he then clarified

Hopefully, the players leave their agents at home this time.

“Agent in Moscow,” Malkin grinned.

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/01/malkin-ovi-0123092.jpg

pittsburghp8baller
01-25-2009, 01:10 AM
yea Malkin helped out OV in the trick shot, he gave him a fisherman hat with a canadien flag, some sun-shades and his own stick which OV then took the puck down the ice using two sticks. they seemed to be getting along quite well

steelpride12
01-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow hilarious stuff seeing Malkin help Ovech put on the glasses hat, and give him the Gatorade drink before his final attempt. Seems like their good buddies....for now. Surely once there two teams meet it will be a much for "competitive" game.

steelpride12
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Good to see these guys talking and having a great time with each other, but surely once the two teams meet up in the season it willl be a much more competitive style of play, because after the all star break its back to business.

pittsburghp8baller
01-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Good to see these guys talking and having a great time with each other, but surely once the two teams meet up in the season it willl be a much more competitive style of play, because after the all star break its back to business.

yea, most of this rivalry has been escalated by the media. they saw OV and Malkin trying to land a big hit against each other and all of a sudden they are enemies. What they dont realize is that they both are very passionate about the game, and will do what they got to do to help their team win. you've seen Colby Armstrong and Sidney Crosby hit each other, and push and shove during the game while they are the best of friends off the ice. On the ice its all about business, it doesn't matter if its your best friend or your own brother it doesn't matter

Want a example,
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2V4K41_U0w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e2V4K41_U0w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You change the name Primeau and put in Murphy, you got my brother and I when use to play, right down to Keith throwing Wayne down except i threw an extra shot or two while our dad was trying to separate us

X-Terminator
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Man, I miss the Whale and The Mall in Hartford where they played - that was a little taste of old-time hockey right there. They also had one of the best logos ever in any sport.

pittsburghp8baller
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Malkin with a crazy in between the legs goal, he is just going for the highlight goal

steelpride12
01-25-2009, 07:56 PM
All of Malkin's shots are spin o ramas or between the legs, having a lot of fun and his goal a highlight reel!

pittsburghp8baller
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
All of Malkin's shots are spin o ramas or between the legs, having a lot of fun and his goal a highlight reel!

yea i loved how he was trying to pull the gretzky and flip it over from behind the net, he almost had it once.

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 12:53 AM
After watching Ovechkin this weekend i got a lil more respect for him. I will warn you that i despised the man most of his career. he seems like a fun guy however.

steelpride12
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
After watching Ovechkin this weekend i got a lil more respect for him. I will warn you that i despised the man most of his career. he seems like a fun guy however.

You know sure Ovech can be a puck hog, but he is a player that reminds me of Ward. He has such a huge heart for the game and his celebrations after goals show how much a win and the team and the city means to him.

X-Terminator
01-27-2009, 05:11 PM
TORONTO – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke has been suspended for two games, without pay, as a result of a blow delivered to the head of Carolina forward Scott Walker during NHL Game #687, Jan. 20 against the Carolina Hurricanes, the National Hockey League announced.

Cooke was assessed a minor penalty for interference against Scott Walker at 12:58 of the first period. Walker left the game and did not return.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Cooke will forfeit $12,903.23. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Cooke will miss games against the New York Rangers on Jan. 28 and New Jersey on Jan. 30. He will be eligible to return Jan. 31 at Toronto.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=406483

Saw this one coming. I was at the game last week, and it was a cheap shot. And when it came time to answer the bell, what did he do? He backed out. This is part of the reason why I dislike Cooke and why it's been very hard to warm up to him. Ruutu is dirty and cheap at times, but at least he's willing to answer the bell. Cooke? You have to pry his gloves off with a crowbar.

Get rid of the instigator.

steelpride12
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Cooke out hurts me more than I thought so far. He has made plays during the Pens struggling times and not having him for 2 games could hurt slightly.

Crosby is still optimistic about playing tonight, and there is an article on PittsburghPenguins.com(Sorry no link in a hurry), saying this is the playoffs for the Pens not much room for many losses and having Crosby out would be a tough blow.

HometownGal
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Get rid of the instigator.

And replace him with whom?

What Cooke did was blatantly cheap but he isn't the first Penguin, nor will he be the last, to engage in dirty pool. I have no problem with the guy, though you know I would have much preferred Jarkko to remain in a Pens uni.

X-Terminator
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
And replace him with whom?

What Cooke did was blatantly cheap but he isn't the first Penguin, nor will he be the last, to engage in dirty pool. I have no problem with the guy, though you know I would have much preferred Jarkko to remain in a Pens uni.

Sorry, I meant get rid of the instigator penalty so that cheap shots like that can be dealt with. No instigator = Cooke being forced to loosen the cement in his gloves and fight whenever he cheap shots someone. I'd definitely take Jarkko, because I'm pretty sure his gloves would have hit the ice if Walker would have come after him.

steelpride12
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Alright boys finally the Pens get back into action tonight against the Rangers at 7:30 and Crosby is set to play tonight, great news. Time to start the second half strong with a good win against the Rangers fighting for the Division and who lost to the Pens 3-0 at Mellon Arena. Tonight Fleury has to play big once against and returners like Dupuis and Talbot need to make an impact. Time to get that playoff spot!.
GO PENS!

Steelcitygal87
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
LETS GO PENS!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03: Is there a game day thread for the Pens?

Pittsburghfan
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
LETS GO PENS!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03: Is there a game day thread for the Pens?

You're in it. I hope Sid & Geno are not on the same line. I like them better apart.