PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

SteelCityMan786
02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Shoot the Puck towards the net Conklin is protecting.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, sorry I missed that last few games. Well this crowd is amazing so far, and Hossa is hearing it! LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Another PP coming up. Pens just need to score. The Wings have too much offense and will make you pay if you don't get goals.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
OOOO WOW! Malkin had a wide open net and fanned on it! AHHH!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 11:56 AM
0-2 on PP Malkin needed to finish that one.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Shoot PK coming up. Wings got best PP in the NHL. Will be tough to stop. Starts up front. GO FLUERY!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Hell of a PK. Wings had like 2 shots at the end of the PP, as the Pens had at least two shorthanded chances. Great job.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Another PP coming for the Pens before the end of the first. Goal time!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Looks like Conklin has not lost a step since last season with the Pens, 17 wins as a back up and looking good today.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:14 PM
End of first and I have to say this is good news. Any time you can hold an offensive juggarnot like the wings off the score board and totally own their #1 ranked PP your looking good. Pens did go 0-3 on the PP with a few good chances, but Conklin playing strong. Pens just need to keep shooting and get traffic infront of the net. Wings won't stay scoreless long, gotta score Pens.
LETS GO PENS!

T.Richardson
02-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I thought this would be a high scoring game.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Pens D is looking better and the blocked shots are key.

steelpride12
Shoot PK coming up. Malkin hooking.

T.Richardson
lol Malkin...

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Wings 1-0. Best PP in the NHL. Tough to beat.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Pens stuck in their zone now after that goal. Cannot give Wings momentum!

T.Richardson
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Fluery is doing pretty well.

T.Richardson
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Missed opportunity!!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Out of all people to have a break away it had to be Godard someone who just had no chance!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow what a chance! Another PP coming for the Pens!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:03 PM
End of the second and other than a PP goal, not much to say about. We just can't give the wings opportunities on the PP, they will score and did. The Pens will have a PP with 1:09 at the start of the second with fresh ice, so quick passes and speed is key. Pens need to shoot more and get it going. One period left. LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
NO PP for the Zetterberg high stick!?

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Pens need to wake up right now. no way they go down 1-0 in this game. Need to generate offense have a quick transition game and fire!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
We just cannot get that puck to the puck. We charge the zone and just have no one gettin to the cage. 17-18 shots is just good enough and it shows with 0 goals. Pens need around 25+ a game for any chance to make runs because goals win and shots create them!

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I can't get that Malkin chance out of my head..

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Once again Crosby tried going right through the defense and once again he got stuffed.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Poor passes in the Wings zone.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Boy Hossa, the last person I wanted to score.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
You would never think the Pens offense would be this bad with players like Crosby and Malkin.

Crushzilla
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey...

Quit talkin' to yourself.

Ya... Hossa just made Staal his bitch.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey...

Quit talkin' to yourself.

Ya... Hossa just made Staal his bitch.

Well usually we have a group of four of us at game time, but I must let my anger out somewhere.

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it figures that lying sack of shit would score in this game. F Hossa and I hope someone breaks his legs.

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Man, their passing has sucked today. This game is making me ill.

T.Richardson
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I cant believe the traitor scored. Where is the offense???

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Crosby 0 shots. Im sorry I will always think he is the best in the game these days, but teams after the last two seasons have figured Crosby out and just have controlled him well or at least better than before. Def. the Wings.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
i cant believe it took this long for MT to put Crosby and Malkin together, the Red Wings have done a great job of taking Crosby out of the game and forcing Dupuis and Kennedy to do everything on the ice

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
:banging:

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:51 PM
i cant believe it took this long for MT to put Crosby and Malkin together, the Red Wings have done a great job of taking Crosby out of the game and forcing Dupuis and Kennedy to do everything on the ice

I love them two together they are very creative together, but did you notice against the Lightning they were seperated in the third period and we had a 3 goal blast. These two have too much skill and need their own seperate lines to show it off.

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 01:51 PM
What the heck!! Oh my gosh. :banging: HORRIBLE

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Fluery is one hell of a goalie, but CONTROL YOUR REBOUNDS! Thats two goals off a rebound now!

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Fluery is one hell of a goalie, but CONTROL YOUR REBOUNDS! Thats two goals off a rebound now!

That has ALWAYS been his weakness...he sucks with rebound control!

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Crosby 0 shots. Im sorry I will always think he is the best in the game these days, but teams after the last two seasons have figured Crosby out and just have controlled him well or at least better than before. Def. the Wings.

they havent really controlled him, he jus doesnt have any1 to distract them away from crosby, its like having a great running back but a horrible quarterback, so the defense stacks the line. Tyler Kennedy has 19 career goals and while Dupuis has the speed to play the top line he doesnt have the 'create my own goal' skill. so if you were to put two great defensive forwards like datsyuk and zetterburg on crosby everytime he is out there (Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterp rofanityfilter did a great job of matching them up with the crosby line), it is gonna be harder for Crosby to create anything

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM

he was doing good with it early, it seems to happen once he gets rattled, the first goal was off a rebound and it was really the first big one he did and then after that it was all a wrap

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM

Think of all the out comes of games if he just held 80% of his shots and didn't give a rebound. Def. in the point in his career where he should be controlling them. Rough game, and San Jose coming up. :banging:

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Crosby has 72 points. What the hell else do you want out of the guy? 100 goals? It's well-established that Crosby is NOT a shooter. He never has been a shooter, and as such he will never be a real big goal scorer. He'll get 35-40 a year, and that's it. Plus, his linemates were Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy. Not exactly Liar Boi or Fatty McChubs or even Kevin Stevens when he was scoring 50 goals and getting 200 PIMs in a season. Crosby needs to have a winger who can score so that he doesn't feel he has to do everything by himself. At least Geno has Petr Sykora. Speaking of Geno, where are the darts being thrown his way? He wasn't exactly tearing things up today either. And the PP...well, besides needing Gonchar back, they need a whole new philosophy. Meaning quit putting Crosby and Malkin on the same side of the ice. Rotate more. Keep people moving. Quick passes. Shots from the point. And for the love of all that's sweet and good, get SOMEONE who is willing to take a beating in front of the net. Keeping everyone stationary and keeping your two best players on the same side makes it easy for the PK to do their jobs, because they only have to defend half the ice.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. They lost to the 3rd best team in the NHL, so what? Moving on to San Jose.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I love them two together they are very creative together, but did you notice against the Lightning they were seperated in the third period and we had a 3 goal blast. These two have too much skill and need their own seperate lines to show it off.

i agree that they need their own line, but since the Red Wings had shut down Crosby all day they needed to put some1 else on with him to take the focus away from him, dupuis and kennedy showed they cant create opportunities on their own

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 01:59 PM
they havent really controlled him, he jus doesnt have any1 to distract them away from crosby, its like having a great running back but a horrible quarterback, so the defense stacks the line. Tyler Kennedy has 19 career goals and while Dupuis has the speed to play the top line he doesnt have the 'create my own goal' skill. so if you were to put two great defensive forwards like datsyuk and zetterburg on crosby everytime he is out there (Babprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterp rofanityfilter did a great job of matching them up with the crosby line), it is gonna be harder for Crosby to create anything

Well Crosby has lived with not having someone to match up with on his line for the last two seasons, and i feel this season he has just been held down and controlled by most teams. ya he is second in the league in scoring, but I feel defenses and coaches make strategies against all around Crosby and this is the point in his career where he needs to find other ways to dominate his game.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Crosby has 72 points. What the hell else do you want out of the guy? 100 goals? It's well-established that Crosby is NOT a shooter. He never has been a shooter, and as such he will never be a real big goal scorer. He'll get 35-40 a year, and that's it. Plus, his linemates were Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy. Not exactly Liar Boi or Fatty McChubs or even Kevin Stevens when he was scoring 50 goals and getting 200 PIMs in a season. Crosby needs to have a winger who can score so that he doesn't feel he has to do everything by himself. At least Geno has Petr Sykora. Speaking of Geno, where are the darts being thrown his way? He wasn't exactly tearing things up today either. And the PP...well, besides needing Gonchar back, they need a whole new philosophy. Meaning quit putting Crosby and Malkin on the same side of the ice. Rotate more. Keep people moving. Quick passes. Shots from the point. And for the love of all that's sweet and good, get SOMEONE who is willing to take a beating in front of the net. Keeping everyone stationary and keeping your two best players on the same side makes it easy for the PK to do their jobs, because they only have to defend half the ice.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. They lost to the 3rd best team in the NHL, so what? Moving on to San Jose.

who happens to be the 2nd best team, talk about great timing eh?

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
From the 3rd best team and now Wed. the second best team the Sharks. Dam we get no break.

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
who happens to be the 2nd best team, talk about great timing eh?

For what it's worth, San Jose has not been very good on the road recently and Nabokov has looked rather ordinary at times. Probably won't mean much, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Well Crosby has lived with not having someone to match up with on his line for the last two seasons, and i feel this season he has just been held down and controlled by most teams. ya he is second in the league in scoring, but I feel defenses and coaches make strategies against all around Crosby and this is the point in his career where he needs to find other ways to dominate his game.

Crosby also missed a 3rd of last season with a high ankle sprain and was leading the league in scoring when he was injured. He was on pace for yet another 100+ point season and since he averaged more points per game than Ovechkin, he could very well have won the scoring title. He's on pace for 110 points this season, and that despite having 3rd line pluggers on his line most of the season.

Crosby is great, but even the great ones need help. Just ask Mario.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 02:07 PM
For what it's worth, San Jose has not been very good on the road recently and Nabokov has looked rather ordinary at times. Probably won't mean much, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Unless we shoot the puck and have traffic in front of the net Nabokov will look great. I loved our defensive style early in the game today, now the offense just needs to produce.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 02:07 PM

at 21 you expect him to absoluetly dominant the game? i see potential in him to be that way but i dont see that for another year or 2. and its tough to go 1 on 4 for every shift you are out there, Dupuis and Kennedy are obvioulsy no threat offensively so that leaves him all alone on the ice in the offensive zone, im sorry not even Mario or Gretzky could handle 1 on 4 for an entire game.

also remember, during his MVP year Crosby had Mark Reechi who scored 24 goals in his last productive year and that was Malkin's (33 goals) and Staal's (28 goals) rookie years

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Crosby also missed a 3rd of last season with a high ankle sprain and was leading the league in scoring when he was injured. He was on pace for yet another 100+ point season and since he averaged more points per game than Ovechkin, he could very well have won the scoring title. He's on pace for 110 points this season, and that despite having 3rd line pluggers on his line most of the season.

Crosby is great, but even the great ones need help. Just ask Mario.

When is the trade deadline? Feels like no real move is gonna be made as the days pass by.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
When is the trade deadline? Feels like no real move is gonna be made as the days pass by.

March 4

big trades take some time to develop, which is why most dont happen till the deadline, so jus cause he havent yet dont mean we wont, all rumor sites are saying we are pretty active so dont give up hope just yet

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 02:15 PM

March 4, exactly 23 days from now. I think there will be a deal done but it's not going to come for a while.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Ya first off both of you get of my back hehe! Our opinions don't agree im sorry. And i was not saying were not gonna make a deal i was just asking. I feel we will make a big one last second for sure.

Fire Haley
02-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Sid, your wingmen suck, shoot the puck, eh?

I think Whitney knocked in that last goal in front of the net - a fitting end.

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Ya first off both of you get of my back hehe! Our opinions don't agree im sorry. And i was not saying were not gonna make a deal i was just asking. I feel we will make a big one last second for sure.

It's fine if you disagree, but I see a lot of piling on Crosby not just here but on other forums. Contrary to what some believe, he is NOT Superman, and can't do everything by himself. He has been playing with sub-standard wingers his entire career save Liar Boi or when they move Malkin up, the same as Mario did for the first 5+ years of his career. When the team finally got Mario some quality help, what happened? Back to back Cups, followed by a President's Trophy. Bottom line is that the Pens MUST find a legitimate sniper for his line so that they will have 2 legitimate scoring lines and Crosby won't have to feel he has to win the game by himself.

OneForTheToe
02-08-2009, 02:41 PM
That game was a microcosm of the season for me. Sid gets no help. The powerplay is nill. Marc can't control rebounds. Far too much of the game is played in the Penguins end. And even on a day when the defense played ok, terrible lapses in defense lead to easy goals for the other team.

That said, I stand by my statement a few weeks ago that I don't want to see the Pens give up too much in the way of a trade to make a desperate run this season, Not saying you give up on the season either, just make sure we don't empty our stable of young talent.

BTW, classy interview by Conklin after the game. The NBC reporter tried to get him to dump on the Pens and he wouldn't bite.

Oh, and Hossa. :fingers: .... and the horses' mother you rode in on.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 03:25 PM
All this is really why i wanna see Marty St. Louis in a Pens uniform, not just as a one year rental but 2+ seasons. He has the speed and finesse i feel can really compliment Crosby, and him Crosby and Dupuis is a good sounding first line to me.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 04:24 PM

you WILL agree with me!! haha, i know we all have different opinions, hell sometimes ill disagree with people just for the sake of arguement (dont have many people to talk to about hockey so i use it up sometimes)

like what X said, i think sometimes people put too much of the blame on crosby or are to quick to blame him if he doesnt have a huge night everynight. he will be there, he is only 21 and still hasent gotten a decent winger

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey Sid, your wingmen suck, shoot the puck, eh?

I think Whitney knocked in that last goal in front of the net - a fitting end.

its hard to shoot when datsyuk, zetterberg and nick lidstrom are all swarming you everytime you are out there

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
you WILL agree with me!! haha, i know we all have different opinions, hell sometimes ill disagree with people just for the sake of arguement (dont have many people to talk to about hockey so i use it up sometimes)

like what X said, i think sometimes people put too much of the blame on crosby or are to quick to blame him if he doesnt have a huge night everynight. he will be there, he is only 21 and still hasent gotten a decent winger

If you notice we need more Pens fans on this forum, like today I found my self talking to myself most of the game.
Ya Crosby has so many years to shock and Wow us and with him being 21 and second place in the scoring race and leading the Pens to the finals last season. I won't complain about his production.:drink:

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
BTW, am I the only one who is getting sick of seeing the Pens on NBC every other week? Or on national TV overall? I mean yeah, I like seeing them getting national attention, but there are plenty of other teams that deserve some exposure - Boston, San Jose and Chicago among them. But it seems like NBC shows the same 4 teams over and over again (Pens, Rags, Wings and Flyers), and on VS it's basically 5 teams (Pens, Rags, Caps, Wings, Wild). It gets old and boring after a while. When ESPN had hockey, just about every team got air time. I'd like to see some of the other teams in the league on national TV more than maybe once a season.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
BTW, am I the only one who is getting sick of seeing the Pens on NBC every other week? Or on national TV overall? I mean yeah, I like seeing them getting national attention, but there are plenty of other teams that deserve some exposure - Boston, San Jose and Chicago among them. But it seems like NBC shows the same 4 teams over and over again (Pens, Rags, Wings and Flyers), and on VS it's basically 5 teams (Pens, Rags, Caps, Wings, Wild). It gets old and boring after a while. When ESPN had hockey, just about every team got air time. I'd like to see some of the other teams in the league on national TV more than maybe once a season.

i agree,

next week its Rangers/Flyers then i think its the Pens/Caps game (i might be there :tt03:) then i know for sure the bruins play upcoming too

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 05:39 PM
If you notice we need more Pens fans on this forum, like today I found my self talking to myself most of the game.
Ya Crosby has so many years to shock and Wow us and with him being 21 and second place in the scoring race and leading the Pens to the finals last season. I won't complain about his production.:drink:

well this is a STEELERS forum so we are always gonna be limited. id rather have the same people we have here who have common sense than the recently turned Pens fans that flood the Penguins forums.

u know i wouldnt mind carrying on a hockey conversation with ya during the game but i was feeling a little under the weather in the morning, i had jus really gotten up and about around the game time so i really was only in the mood to watch the game

X-Terminator
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
i agree,

next week its Rangers/Flyers then i think its the Pens/Caps game (i might be there :tt03:) then i know for sure the bruins play upcoming too

Pens and Bruins are in play for March 15.

pittsburghp8baller
02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Pens and Bruins are in play for March 15.

maybe thats the one i saw, but i thought the bruins were playing in one coming up, but there are def other teams that could/should be big television draws. even the blackhawks with the next great american player should be thrown on there another week

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 05:10 AM
All this is really why i wanna see Marty St. Louis in a Pens uniform, not just as a one year rental but 2+ seasons. He has the speed and finesse i feel can really compliment Crosby, and him Crosby and Dupuis is a good sounding first line to me.

That is what I would love to see as well. I don't blame Crosby at all for this years lack of production as a team. He has no one, as you say, to compliment him.

steelpride12
02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
That is what I would love to see as well. I don't blame Crosby at all for this years lack of production as a team. He has no one, as you say, to compliment him.

Agreed. I love Crosby and Malkin on the same line, but then the second line becomes the line that cannot do much without Malkin. All we need is a speedy, finesse winger for the first line and the lines can be set and the team should fall together and produce like the did with....Hossa.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Agreed. I love Crosby and Malkin on the same line, but then the second line becomes the line that cannot do much without Malkin. All we need is a speedy, finesse winger for the first line and the lines can be set and the team should fall together and produce like the did with....Hossa.

RIGHT...I love Malkin and Sid together too...but then you leave the second line with not much to work with. You know the old saying...don't put all your eggs in one basket. In this case, I just don't think it is the wisest move to have your two best players on the same line. We need another Hossa( I am referring to style of play only lol)...so then we have Sid and say...St Louis on one line and then Malkin to be a threat with the second line... GREAT one, two punch.:tt03::tt03:

steelpride12
02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
RIGHT...I love Malkin and Sid together too...but then you leave the second line with not much to work with. You know the old saying...don't put all your eggs in one basket. In this case, I just don't think it is the wisest move to have your two best players on the same line. We need another Hossa( I am referring to style of play only lol)...so then we have Sid and say...St Louis on one line and then Malkin to be a threat with the second line... GREAT one, two punch.:tt03::tt03:

Exactly. St. Louis just bring a whole new perspective to the offense. With him that gives us two solid, goal scoring lines than can produce for the whole game, and a third line with Staal and Kennedy who can produce as well. I feel with the return of Gonchar and a solid pick up like St. Louis the Pens will be as complete of a team they could have been since last season, make the playoffs and hopefully a solid run.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Exactly. St. Louis just bring a whole new perspective to the offense. With him that gives us two solid, goal scoring lines than can produce for the whole game, and a third line with Staal and Kennedy who can produce as well. I feel with the return of Gonchar and a solid pick up like St. Louis the Pens will be as complete of a team they could have been since last season, make the playoffs and hopefully a solid run.

Man, do they sorely miss Gonchar or what??? Dang, I wish he had never been injured:banging: .

steelpride12
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Man, do they sorely miss Gonchar or what??? Dang, I wish he had never been injured:banging: .

I honestly feel with him on the team we have around 65 points + right now. He means to much for the defense, offense, and even the PP which he is our QB and sets up most goals. Without him you can see why we are struggling.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I honestly feel with him on the team we have around 65 points + right now. He means to much for the defense, offense, and even the PP which he is our QB and sets up most goals. Without him you can see why we are struggling.

Oh man, him on the pp was awesome! His passing and awareness is so missed. Plus he ain't so bad shootin the puck either...on the pp.

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow Gonch could be back around next week, like amazing news! He will bring so much back to this team even though i don't see a huge scoring out break right away, i do see him to settle this PP down and get better chances for sure.
Fedo injury was worse than I though sheesh over one punch, and I feel he was playing his best hockey before he got injured and it looks like another several weeks, where Zigomanis won't be ready till the playoffs.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=408688

Fire Haley
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
The fat lady is clearing her throat....stop screwing around...

SHOOT THE PUCK!!!

Eastern Conference

GP W L OTL PTS

1 Boston 54 39 8 7 85
2 Washington 54 34 16 4 72
3 New Jersey 54 34 17 3 71
4 Philadelphia 52 28 15 9 65
5 Montreal 54 29 19 6 64
6 NY Rangers 54 29 20 5 63
7 Buffalo 54 28 20 6 62
8 Carolina 54 27 22 5 59

Florida 52 25 19 8 58
Pittsburgh 55 26 24 5 57

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM

SHOOT THE PUCK!!!

Eastern Conference

GP W L OTL PTS

1 Boston 54 39 8 7 85
5 Montreal 54 29 19 6 64
7 Buffalo 54 28 20 6 62
8 Carolina 54 27 22 5 59

Florida 52 25 19 8 58
Pittsburgh 55 26 24 5 57

AMEN! DONT pass it to death...shoot IT!

Fire Haley
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Yea verily...coach Killer hath spoken..

SHOOT THE PUCK!!!

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Gonchar won't have a problem getting that puck to the net.

pittsburghp8baller
02-10-2009, 11:05 PM

your right a good puck moving d-man means so much more to a team's offense than some people realize. look at San Jose, last year they were on the bottom half of the league in scoring. After adding great puck moving d-men like Rob Blake and Dan Boyle they are one of the top scoring teams in the league, and look also what the emergence of Dennis Wideman has done for the Boston Bruins.

it starts from the backstop.

X-Terminator
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
your right a good puck moving d-man means so much more to a team's offense than some people realize. look at San Jose, last year they were on the bottom half of the league in scoring. After adding great puck moving d-men like Rob Blake and Dan Boyle they are one of the top scoring teams in the league, and look also what the emergence of Dennis Wideman has done for the Boston Bruins.

it starts from the backstop.

Agree 100%. Look at how bad the Rangers have been struggling. Most of it has been a direct result of horrible defensemen - they might be the one team with a worse D corps than the Penguins. And I definitely agree that the Pens would have a better record right now if just Gonchar were healthy all season. The PP would be much better and they'd have 6-10 more wins than they do right now. How many games have the Pens lost because of their inability to score on the PP?

X-Terminator
02-10-2009, 11:15 PM

SHOOT THE PUCK!!!

Eastern Conference

GP W L OTL PTS

1 Boston 54 39 8 7 85
5 Montreal 54 29 19 6 64
7 Buffalo 54 28 20 6 62
8 Carolina 54 27 22 5 59

Florida 52 25 19 8 58
Pittsburgh 55 26 24 5 57

Florida won again tonight, so they move back ahead of Carolina with a game in hand. With the Rangers and Habs in free-fall, the Pens have a shot at catching them as well. The problem is that everyone has games in hand on the Pens, so they're going to have to get help from other teams while putting together a run of their own.

pittsburghp8baller
02-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Agree 100%. Look at how bad the Rangers have been struggling. Most of it has been a direct result of horrible defensemen - they might be the one team with a worse D corps than the Penguins. And I definitely agree that the Pens would have a better record right now if just Gonchar were healthy all season. The PP would be much better and they'd have 6-10 more wins than they do right now. How many games have the Pens lost because of their inability to score on the PP?

or just the inability the get the puck down the ice and into the zone. a lot of times sid and geno have to take the puck all the way up the ice because most of our d-man cant make that first pass. when i played hockey they stressed the first breakout pass so much, the d-man (mainly me) would spend most of our practice working on it.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:47 AM
or just the inability the get the puck down the ice and into the zone. a lot of times sid and geno have to take the puck all the way up the ice because most of our d-man cant make that first pass. when i played hockey they stressed the first breakout pass so much, the d-man (mainly me) would spend most of our practice working on it.

I think the Pens have the fewest shots in the NHL and the least amount of defensive goals in the league, and I feel its all over Gonchar. He means so much being the top defensive scorer on the team and PP, and when he returns the confidence will rise, shots will fly and this team will rise.

HometownGal
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I think the Pens have the fewest shots in the NHL and the least amount of defensive goals in the league, and I feel its all over Gonchar. He means so much being the top defensive scorer on the team and PP, and when he returns the confidence will rise, shots will fly and this team will rise.

I've said all season long that Gonchar being out has really hurt the team - he's the QB on the PP and the most integral part of their defense. It's really great to read that others hold Gonchar in the high esteem that I do - I remember all too well during his first season all of the boo's Sarge received and I proudly sat there wearing his jersey! :thumbsup:

I'll be at the game tonight and hopefully, the Pens can hold off the Sharks attack - they are a damned good team.

LETS GO PENS!

OneForTheToe
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I've said all season long that Gonchar being out has really hurt the team - he's the QB on the PP and the most integral part of their defense. It's really great to read that others hold Gonchar in the high esteem that I do - I remember all too well during his first season all of the boo's Sarge received and I proudly sat there wearing his jersey! :thumbsup:

I'll be at the game tonight and hopefully, the Pens can hold off the Sharks attack - they are a damned good team.

LETS GO PENS!

Reminds me a bit of what happened to the Steelers' D when Aaron Smith went down, at the end of the 2006 season. Not the biggest star on the team, but the guy who makes it possible for the Superstar players to do what they do,

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
LETS GO PENS!! Is it show time yet???:tt03::drink::popcorn:

Gonna be one tough challenge...the Sharks did play last night...beat the Bruins...tough battle there. So hopefully they won't be on their game tonight!!

X-Terminator
02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Gonchar was cleared to play today by his doctors, but won't play tonight. Good news! :thumbsup:

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar has been cleared by team doctors to resume playing, but he will not dress tonight for a game against San Jose at Mellon Arena.

Gonchar has not played this season due to a left shoulder injury. He was injured on a hit by Tampa Bay forward David Koci in the Penguins' preseason opener. Gonchar had surgery in early October to correct a left shoulder separation.

"I will take it day by day," Gonchar said, adding that he wanted to get into game shape before rejoining the lineup.

Gonchar is the Penguins' leading scoring defenseman since signing with the team for the 2005-06 season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_611230.html?source=rss&feed=1

HometownGal
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Reminds me a bit of what happened to the Steelers' D when Aaron Smith went down, at the end of the 2006 season. Not the biggest star on the team, but the guy who makes it possible for the Superstar players to do what they do,

Yep. Smith is the glue that holds that line together, just as Sarge is the glue that holds the Pens D together. I'm sure his D-mates will be very happy to be getting him back in the lineup - I know I sure will be! :applaudit:

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
So next game Gonch is back! Im totally excited. This team should play good for him tonight, because the next three games are all winnable and I want Gonch bringin us back on that 3-4 game win streak to vault us back to 8th place. Well Sharks time, lets prove something!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
This looks scary we have not had one scoring chance yet and the Sharks have to have at least 6 shots early. sheesh! GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
San Jose has the amazing ability to pinch their D all game long and never get burned or beat by doing so. They play a tight forcheck probably a 3-2 and still do it so perfectly.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Fleury coming up with some big saves.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
End of the first and im impressed by both teams so far. A good skating game with no penalties and the Sharks getting yes 15 shots, but the Pens have 11 in just the first period which is a success in their book and there scoring chances have been good. The Pens show life tonight and just gotta keep scoring with traffic.
GO PENS!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
LETS GO PENS

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:33 PM
OH WOW that was soo close!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Phew Pens playing well in the second several great chances, just have not put it through yet!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
oh gosh jordan...almost. they are doing a much better job of getting the puck out of their own end....sharks goalie is calm as a cucumber. the pens are getting some nice chances at the net though....thats what happens when ya shoot the puck...

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow now the Pens pinching the defense, im really liking this right now.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Almost 20 shots for the Pens, now this is what im talking about!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
yep...keep shooting it like they are and its bound to go in at some point....their passing is a lot better tonight than it was against the Wings

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
ut oh lost the picture

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Pens PP coming up, great work , a much deserved PP.
Gotta start finishing Pens!
GO PENS!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
:banging:

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
THE VIDEO IS GONE!!!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Can you see the game?

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
no, i cant that is why i was banging my head! my video is gone too.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
no, i cant that is why i was banging my head! my video is gone too.

Right when a Pens PP is suppose to start too! Im pissed right now!:banging:

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
i keep getting a screen that says.....liberty sports.....and all these colors., and an ANNOYING sound

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont have a radio handy either or i could at least listen and know what was going on

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Yes same here im just watching the dumb white thingy go around and around! FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Now it keeps coming in and out the feed.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
well they have a pic...but it is frozen...i can hear the announcers though..ohhhh here we go!!! finally.....crap!!! they didnt score. :banging:

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok were good. Shoot no goal on the PP! GO PENS!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
come on pens, you can do it....get a goal here!! lets go pens!! :tt03:

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
0-0 game or not for the Pens and Fluery to hold on 19-20 shots so far and hold San Jose empty so far is a huge feat. Now they just need to score and throw this game out of reach!

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm watching the Sharks feed - they are showing the crowd booing the PP.

Does everyone have to throw blind behind the back passes that get picked off for turnovers? That's Sid's job.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
nice hustle by cooke...him and thomas really look sharp tonight.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
NICE WORK PENS!!! NICE THOMAS!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::drink:

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
GOOOOALLLLL!!! A huge goal from a not so known player BILL THOMAS HIS FIRST FOR THE PENS!
Pens take a 1-0 lead with 1:34 left in the period. Now Lets ride this confidence into the third!
GO PENS!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
whew that was tooo close

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
End of the second and what more can you say! I mean the sharks are tired from last night and go out and shoot. Even with shots with 21 a piece and the Pens will score when they shoot. They got the puck to the net and a goal came. Pens lead 1-0, but in a tight game its a huge one! GO PENS!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
NICE WORK PENS!!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Lets finish this game strong and play tough, nothing like what happened at Boston!
Finish them Pens!

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Garbage goal, Blake knocked it in - I'll take another please.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow that was close, great save Flueryy!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
SHOOT! Staal you dumb @#$! Discipline! You just gave one of the best PP teams a chance to tie it!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
O wow Billy Thomas with a golden opportunity to get his second goal of the game and take a bigger lead o geez that was close!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
WOW! One amazing PK, with 2 short handed chances. Just really inspired tonight!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I can not wait till they get gonchar back!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Wowzers Fluery stop the rebounds please, that was three great chances from the Sharks. Yikes.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
holy crap...that was close..

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Half way through the period. Ahh this is tough to watch!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah it is ...only a one goal lead...and the sharks are really in a frenzy...they are getting some good chances...fleury is coming up big..seeing the puck very well tonight.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Tied. Shit!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
crap!!! DANG IT!! :banging::banging:

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
crap!!! DANG IT!! :banging::banging:

I mean ill take a point at this point of the season for sure!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Great response by the Pens. They want that goal back for sure!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
man thata way to work the puck boys!! lets get a goal here!!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
man, they are firing everything at him and the kitchen sink!!! I LOVE THIS...this is how they should have been playing all along...SHOOTING the puck!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
man, they are firing everything at him and the kitchen sink!!! I LOVE THIS...this is how they should have been playing all along...SHOOTING the puck!!

Keep this firing squad up and the Sharks won't last till OT! Finish them Pens!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
man that was the save of the night by fleury

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow the Sharks are getting scary good chances, my heart drops everytime!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes Malkin and the Pens are going on the PP with the great work down low by Malkin and Sykora. FINISH HERE!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
ok boys...this is our chance...PLEASE get a goal!!!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
oh crap that was close!!! COME ON PENS!!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow that was a goal post, and that close to a goal. Sheesh!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I can't believe these saves. Why can't the just keel over and die for just one for goal wow Crosby!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
oh my gosh how did that NOT go in....this is sooo exciting!! I dont know if i can take much more lol

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Yikes Griere will a break away Great save Fluery ugh would have been a heart breaker!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
oh my goodness!!! that goalie is standing on his head making these saves and that was a great stop by marc!!!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
2 mins left....please get at least one point..

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
oh my gosh

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
if they had given up a goal there...i would have cried.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
1 point is ours! The other point would be huge. Come on Pens.
35 shots from the Pens, now thats what im talking about!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
35 shots...WTG PENS!!! that is more like it

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
come on pens...lets win this thing..you guys deserve it...you have played GREAT hockey tonight!!

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Great game. Pens are getting some great chances. No luck.

Fleury is quick as a cat, but still giving up way too many rebounds.

At least we get one point, if nothing else.

Steelcitygal87
a PP in OT.....finish them OFF NOW !!! lets go pens

steelpride12
Malkin drawing another PP in OT. Its time to finish this. I predict a Pens winning goal here!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Dam no luck Pens!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
We always get stuck playing back-ups and they have good games. Bull!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
that goalie is playing fantastic tonight...he is so sharp

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
nice save marc

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
shootout time

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Shootout time. I don't remember the last shootout. Pens will be rusty, but i have confidence!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Shoot.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Malkin poo shot!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
nice stops marc! come on sid!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Crosbyyyyy GOALLL!!!

Steelcitygal87
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sid!!! what a stop by marc!!! WTG PENS!!! a beautiful game...they played their hearts out!!!!

steelpride12
PENS WIN, PENS WIN!!! Amazing pad save from Fluery!
Players of the game.
3)Staal
2)Fluery
1)Thomas

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Beautiful shot by Sid - looked like the same winner as in the Winter Classic last year.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
whew that was such a great game!!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Wow a much needed 2 points and a proof that shooting the puck gets you goals and more confidence! Crosby always comes up big for us and Fluery was lights out!

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Beautiful shot by Sid - looked like the same winner as in the Winter Classic last year.

Yeah it was!! I wish they would replace Malkin on the shootouts...he always shoots the puck so weak...he has no moves or anything.

pittsburghp8baller
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
PENS WIN, PENS WIN!!! Amazing pad save from Fluery!
Players of the game.
3)Staal
2)Fluery
1)Thomas

that last save by fleury and the way he played the last part of the game i think def earned him the first star in my books, now way we win without fleury playing the way he did.

i cant remember the last time i saw some1 who could protect the puck like Crosby can, its jus amazing.

great win, even better game, lets hope we can carry that momentum into the toronto game, hopefully with our defensive leader back!!

pittsburghp8baller
02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah it was!! I wish they would replace Malkin on the shootouts...he always shoots the puck so weak...he has no moves or anything.

with how hot he has been, i dont see how you dont put him there. Espeically since we really dont have any1 else to take the shots, Letang has struggled more than Malkin recently

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 06:44 AM
with how hot he has been, i dont see how you dont put him there. Espeically since we really dont have any1 else to take the shots, Letang has struggled more than Malkin recently

I just thought his effort last night was very poor, considering how we are fighting for our very playoff lives right now. Course as you stated, who else are they really going to plug in his spot.

X-Terminator
02-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Up until last night, Sid hasn't been very good either. He hasn't been good at it his entire career and doesn't really have many moves of his own. Should we pull him too? Now granted, your best players aren't always the best on shootouts/breakaways, but in this situation, you put your best players out there and take your chances. And last night, it paid off with a big goal and a bigger win.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Up until last night, Sid hasn't been very good either. He hasn't been good at it his entire career and doesn't really have many moves of his own. Should we pull him too? Now granted, your best players aren't always the best on shootouts/breakaways, but in this situation, you put your best players out there and take your chances. And last night, it paid off with a big goal and a bigger win.

You're right. I am wrong, as always.

X-Terminator
02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
You're right. I am wrong, as always.

It's not about being right or wrong, it's just understanding the game and its nuances before speaking up. Some of the best players that have ever laced them up have not been good on breakaways/penalty shots. Wayne Gretzky, the 2nd greatest player of all time (behind Mario) was average at best on breakaways. However, Mario was money in the bank, just one more reason why I will always believe him to be the better player. Last year, Erik Christensen and Petr Sykora often came before Sid or Geno in shootouts, and after Christensen was traded, it was Kris Letang and Jarkko Ruutu (in fact Ruutu is #2 on the SO depth chart in Ottawa, ahead of Dany Heatley and Daniel Alfredsson). Sometimes, a 3rd line plugger can be your best SO guy - that's just the way it goes. They have talent too, not just the stars, otherwise they wouldn't be in the NHL.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
It's not about being right or wrong, it's just understanding the game and its nuances before speaking up. Some of the best players that have ever laced them up have not been good on breakaways/penalty shots. Wayne Gretzky, the 2nd greatest player of all time (behind Mario) was average at best on breakaways. However, Mario was money in the bank, just one more reason why I will always believe him to be the better player. Last year, Erik Christensen and Petr Sykora often came before Sid or Geno in shootouts, and after Christensen was traded, it was Kris Letang and Jarkko Ruutu (in fact Ruutu is #2 on the SO depth chart in Ottawa, ahead of Dany Heatley and Daniel Alfredsson). Sometimes, a 3rd line plugger can be your best SO guy - that's just the way it goes. They have talent too, not just the stars, otherwise they wouldn't be in the NHL.

Sorry, sometimes my emotions get the better of me and I do speak impulsively(bad habit I know). I was just frustrated at what I deemed a lack luster effort by Malkin on that shootout attempt.

I miss Christensen, he was pretty consistent in his shootout ability. Him and Letang were my favorites.

So you would leave Malkin in there? Would there be anyone you would like to see given a chance on the shootout just to see what he could do? If you don't mind me asking your opinion.

X-Terminator
02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry, sometimes my emotions get the better of me and I do speak impulsively(bad habit I know). I was just frustrated at what I deemed a lack luster effort by Malkin on that shootout attempt.

I miss Christensen, he was pretty consistent in his shootout ability. Him and Letang were my favorites.

So you would leave Malkin in there? Would there be anyone you would like to see given a chance on the shootout just to see what he could do? If you don't mind me asking your opinion.

I would give Letang another shot, but other than that, they have nobody else capable of being one of the top 3 shooters. If Therrien doesn't think he should, then he'll keep putting Malkin out there, because again, you ride your best players in situations like that. Something tells me Malkin is pretty good in practice (which is where the decision is made who to put in the top 3 shooters), and when he's on a breakaway during a game, he scores more often than not. But I think he thinks too much during shootouts instead of just letting it flow, and that's why he's not very successful.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I would give Letang another shot, but other than that, they have nobody else capable of being one of the top 3 shooters. If Therrien doesn't think he should, then he'll keep putting Malkin out there, because again, you ride your best players in situations like that. Something tells me Malkin is pretty good in practice (which is where the decision is made who to put in the top 3 shooters), and when he's on a breakaway during a game, he scores more often than not. But I think he thinks too much during shootouts instead of just letting it flow, and that's why he's not very successful.

Good point. When he is on a breakaway the action is so fast there is no time to think about what moves to make or to second guess 'where do I want to place the puck'...you just....shoot it. Where as on the shootout maybe he does have a tendency to over think the situation too much.

On a different note... I know he is new and all...but what do you think about that guy Thomas? He looked pretty impressive last night. Course that was only one game...have to see how he does against the Maple Leafs on Sat.

pittsburghp8baller
02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
[/B]

Good point. When he is on a breakaway the action is so fast there is no time to think about what moves to make or to second guess 'where do I want to place the puck'...you just....shoot it. Where as on the shootout maybe he does have a tendency to over think the situation too much.

On a different note... I know he is new and all...but what do you think about that guy Thomas? He looked pretty impressive last night. Course that was only one game...have to see how he does against the Maple Leafs on Sat.

it was a great add by Shero, great 4th line energy guy, not great at face-offs (41%) but seems to come through when we need one, and a great PKer. i was so happy to see him get his first for the Pens, he is living a dream (was mine too), being able to score for the team he grew up loving. night in night out he puts in a great effort.

the St. Louis trade rumor is really picking up heat right now, and it looks like it might be Whitney/Satan for St. Louis/Eminger. im sure there would be draft picks somewhere in that but you can never be sure on which picks they will be.

X-Terminator
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
the St. Louis trade rumor is really picking up heat right now, and it looks like it might be Whitney/Satan for St. Louis/Eminger. im sure there would be draft picks somewhere in that but you can never be sure on which picks they will be.

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat!

Fire Haley
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Whitney/Satan for St. Louis/Eminger.

Where do I sign?

do it!

do it!

pittsburghp8baller
02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Where do I sign?

do it!

do it!

id sign too, my only hesitation would be if we gave up a high draft pick, and which it would be. i couldnt imagine it would be too high of a pick but i can def see us having to fork over one or two picks

steelpride12
02-13-2009, 08:55 AM
St. Louis and Eminger for Whit and Satan. WOW We would be stacked, im down for that. The Pens need a strong trade like this. Its Satans time to go.

pittsburghp8baller
02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
GREAT audition by Caputi but Fedtenko believes he can play tommorrow and we were gonna have to make a move anyways

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=409125

X-Terminator
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
GREAT audition by Caputi but Fedtenko believes he can play tommorrow and we were gonna have to make a move anyways

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=409125

Saw this earlier - I like Caputi and think he's going to be solid, but it'll be great getting Tank back in the lineup. This team is getting healthy at the right time (kinda like some other Pittsburgh team did), and with Gonchar coming back either tomorrow or Monday, they are primed for a run at the playoffs.

BTW, the game Monday against the Isles is a 2:00 start. Bogus. The Pens and afternoon games just do not mix.

Steelcitygal87
02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Saw this earlier - I like Caputi and think he's going to be solid, but it'll be great getting Tank back in the lineup. This team is getting healthy at the right time (kinda like some other Pittsburgh team did), and with Gonchar coming back either tomorrow or Monday, they are primed for a run at the playoffs.

BTW, the game Monday against the Isles is a 2:00 start. Bogus. The Pens and afternoon games just do not mix.

That is strange, as usually the Pens afternoon games are on Saturdays or Sundays.

I hope Gonchar is back for the Leafs game. They play such a physical style of hockey(esp. the last time we played them), it would be great to have him in there.

stlrtruck
02-13-2009, 04:49 PM

This smells of Tomlin being winless in 4:15pm games :toofunny:

X-Terminator
02-13-2009, 05:01 PM
This smells of Tomlin being winless in 4:15pm games :toofunny:

Can no lose any more game!! :laughing:

Just got this off the Pens' site - they get someone back, and someone else goes down. :doh: This time, it's Boucher:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=409174

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 05:46 AM
I apologize if this has been posted already, but apparently Armstrong coming back to the 'Burgh is a strong possibility....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=517379

Folks in Pittsburgh are wondering when their team will start getting traction for the playoffs. There's talent in the lineup, but things haven't gone smoothly for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Trade rumors are blowing up the Ohio River, and the focus is whether GM Ray Shero might make a deal to strength his forward depth. Part of the equation is a return to health by Ruslan Fedotenko, who could play as soon as Saturday but is more likely to return next week. Better play by versatile Maxime Talbot also would be a bonus.

You've heard Colby Armstrong mentioned by now, and the talk continues.

But what if Shero could pry Martin St. Louis away from the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Armstrong seems more likely of the two to be headed to Pittsburgh.

Here's why: Sidney Crosby wants help, and Armstrong is a bud from his days with the flock before being traded in last year's Marian Hossa deal.

Armstrong is headed for free agency and his team, the Atlanta Thrashers, must move assets to energize their franchise.

Team trade history and the Crosby-Armstrong connection make this a strong possibility. Questions: What will Thrashers GM Don Waddell want in return? Do the Penguins have assets needed to make the deal?

To get St. Louis, Shero must make a deal like the Hossa trade.

It's likely Shero would demand a sign-and-trade deal for any player headed for unrestricted free agency. He was burned by Hossa's decision to leave after last season despite a seven-year, $50 million offer. Shero won't do a rental deal.

We doubt the Penguins want to move high picks, because they must restock the franchise. There's precious little quality in their farm system either for immediate help or big trade value.

So maybe this is where the Penguins decide to part with Ryan Whitney.

It's been a tough season for Whitney, who missed the first 31 games after foot surgery. A change of scenery could be a boost for him. He could be a top-pair defenseman for the Thrashers.

The Penguins recently demoted defenseman Alex Goligoski to get him playing time and clear space for Sergei Gonchar, who is expected to return from shoulder surgery this weekend. Goligoski is a keeper. Period.

Jordan Staal's name also is being dropped, but the Penguins would prefer to keep him.

Here's what you need to watch as the March 4 trade deadline nears.

Coach Michel Therrien believes the Penguins are playing the way they must to be a playoff team. Shero wants to see how things play out the next couple weeks before making a blockbuster deal.

If the Penguins aren't in position to make the top six in the Eastern Conference, or aren't playing as befits a long playoff run, he might not drop the bomb.

And as for Erik Christensen, who also went to the Thrashers in the Hossa deal, word out of Pittsburgh is he wouldn't be a fit because he's oil to Therrien's water.

There's also talk of getting Keith Tkachuk from the St. Louis Blues or Bill Guerin for the New York Islanders. Both would bring a veteran presence, but neither is a playoff star. Both teams would want picks or prospects. Unless Shero can get one of them on the cheap, Howie, it's no deal. Shero doesn't care how pretty the blonde is holding the case.

Also forget fleecing the Thrashers to get Ilya Kovalchuk. He's too valuable to the franchise to be peddled.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Gonchar and Fedotenko will both be back in the lineup tonight against the Laffs :thumbsup:

Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar is back. Gonchar will make his first appearance of the season on the Pittsburgh blue line in the Penguins' showdown with the Toronto Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre Saturday night at 7 p.m.

Forward Ruslan Fedotenko, who has missed the past 15 games with a broken hand, will also be back in the lineup.

Gonchar hasn't played a competitive game since Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final June 4. It's been 146 days since he suffered cartilage and ligament damage in his left shoulder in a preseason game with the Tampa Bay Lightning Sept. 20. Gonchar had surgery Oct. 2 to repair the damage.

Gonchar was cleared for contact four months later, Feb. 2, and has participated in all aspects of practice since. Doctors gave the All-Star defenseman the green light to return Wednesday and he was removed from the injured reserve list.

Gonchar has been trying to get his timing and conditioning back to game form. He's been the first player on the ice at practice and the last to leave in an attempt to build his endurance. It isn't clear how much ice time Gonchar will be given in his first game but he will no doubt resume his role as the Penguins' power-play quarterback.

Fedotenko suffered his injury in a fight with former Penguin Colby Armstrong Jan. 6 against Atlanta. The Ukraine native landed a clean shot that knocked Armstrong down but broke his hand with the punch.

The line combinations for the game are: Tyler Kennedy-Sidney Crosby-Pascal Dupuis; Matt Cooke-Evgeni Malkin-Petr Sykora; Bill Thomas-Jordan Staal-Miroslav Satan; Eric Godard-Maxime Talbot-Fedotenko.

The defensive pairings were: Brooks Orpik-Ryan Whitney; Mark Eaton-Kris Letang; Rob Scuderi-Gonchar.

Marc-Andre Fleury will make his sixth straight start in goal for Pittsburgh.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=409286

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
LETS GO PENS!! :tt03: :popcorn: Can't wait to watch, with Gonchar and Fedotenko back in the lineup it's gonna be a good one!! The Make Beleafs:flap: don't stand a chance.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Looks like Mario is getting involved with trade talks with the Bolts:

A source tells me talks with Tampa Bay are intensifying. My source believes Mario Lemieux is highly involved and is pushing Shero to finalize a deal "very soon" that would send Whitney as the centerpiece of a potential deal. St. Louis has not been asked to waive his NTC yet. Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts may be an influencing factor as they both don't like Penguins head coach Michel Therrien. Mario played a strong factor in Gary Roberts waiving his NTC and may have to work that same magic again.

As mentioned a few days ago, the lightning are looking at Whitney, Goligoski, Talbot and Jeffrey. I was told today that it doesn't appear Goligoski will be involved.

The Dallas Stars, Colorado Avalanche and Montreal Canadiens remain interested in Ryan Whitney. The Penguins have declined an offer from the Buffalo Sabres and the two side aren't seen as good trade partners.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nhl-source-talks-with-tampa-bay-intensifying/6718/

First of all, I'm glad that Goligoski won't be involved in any trade with the Bolts. Secondly, the only guy from Dallas I'd be interested in would be Loui Eriksson but I don't think he's worth trading Whitney for, and of course I'd love to see Milan Hejduk come over from the Avs. The Habs have nobody I'd want, so no go there. I'm glad that they turned down the Sabres' offer - they were offering table scraps when the Pens should be going after filet mignon. Third, if it's true that Roberts and Recchi may influence St. Louis not to waive his NTC to come here because they don't like Therrien, then the Pens may have to seriously consider firing him. You can't have the HC costing the team a chance to acquire top talent.

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Third, if it's true that Roberts and Recchi may influence St. Louis not to waive his NTC to come here because they don't like Therrien, then the Pens may have to seriously consider firing him. You can't have the HC costing the team a chance to acquire top talent.

What????? That is allowing the "former inmates" to run the asylum and is total BULLSHIT. Both Recchi (arrogant ass who should have hung up his skates several years ago) and Roberts are no longer involved with the Pens and should have no influence in ANY negotiations. If the Pens put the moola on the table, both St. Louis and his agent will take it and head to Pittsburgh, if the rest of the deal can be sealed. If St. Louis can be that easily influenced by a couple of has-beens, then I don't want him here. Period.

Funny how no one was bitching about Therrien last season when he took his team to the SC finals. :rolleyes:

pittsburghp8baller
02-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Looks like Mario is getting involved with trade talks with the Bolts:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nhl-source-talks-with-tampa-bay-intensifying/6718/

First of all, I'm glad that Goligoski won't be involved in any trade with the Bolts. Secondly, the only guy from Dallas I'd be interested in would be Loui Eriksson but I don't think he's worth trading Whitney for, and of course I'd love to see Milan Hejduk come over from the Avs. The Habs have nobody I'd want, so no go there. I'm glad that they turned down the Sabres' offer - they were offering table scraps when the Pens should be going after filet mignon. Third, if it's true that Roberts and Recchi may influence St. Louis not to waive his NTC to come here because they don't like Therrien, then the Pens may have to seriously consider firing him. You can't have the HC costing the team a chance to acquire top talent.

i think if we were to get Eriksson i think we would get draft picks along with Eriksson. as for montreal, maybe Chris Higgins?

thats a pretty punk move by Recchi and Roberts if they are influencing St. Louis to not waive his no trade clause, but i dont think it is a reason to fire MT. If thats the case, then we can look else where, there are other people who are interested in Whitney

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 06:02 PM
It's show time!:popcorn: LETS GO PENS:tt03:

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
NICE!! WTG PENS!

steelpride12
02-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Wowzers sorry im late everyone. GOOOOALLLLSS!!
Great dirty goal from Cooke and another long shot slapper from Thomas now his second on the season. Toskila is really struggling in the net and as long as we keep getting pucks to the net we should easily take this game.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-14-2009, 06:53 PM
End of the first period and the Pens take a nice 2-0 lead. 11 shots for the Pens not bad, but the leafs staying with them and making good opportunities.Good looking shots and moves on the PP by Gonchar so far, its amazing to see this beast QB for us back in action. As well Bill Thomas stepping up big for the Pens and proving a possible permanant position on the Pens lines.

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Damn - it's good to see Sarge back! :drink: :applaudit: He's lookin' good out there in his first game back on the ice.

Thomas has really been quite impressive. Me thinks he's definitely a keeper. :thumbsup:

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 07:04 PM
End of the first period and the Pens take a nice 2-0 lead. 11 shots for the Pens not bad, but the leafs staying with them and making good opportunities.Good looking shots and moves on the PP by Gonchar so far, its amazing to see this beast QB for us back in action. As well Bill Thomas stepping up big for the Pens and proving a possible permanant position on the Pens lines.

I LOVE his play! Gonchar looks sharp, like he hasn't missed a beat. :tt03:

steelpride12
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Last 5 minutes all leafs, but Fluery has truly bloomed over the last few weeks and is just playing lights out right now. Pens need to get the puck out of the zone, the nuetral zone trap not working right now.

steelpride12
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
2-1 now. Leafs deserved that goal having several opportunities and winning most faceoffs.

steelpride12
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Yikes is all I have to say for that second period. Only 5 shots and allll Toronto with a goal and now 26 shots. Pens need to play better or this will be a tied game in the third!

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Yikes is all I have to say for that second period. Only 5 shots and allll Toronto with a goal and now 26 shots. Pens need to play better or this will be a tied game in the third!

Wow - what a difference between the 1st and 2nd periods. Fleury can't do it all - the Pens have to find a way to get the puck into the net in the 3rd. Pens need to knock out the odd man rush, play smart hockey and not take any stupid penalties.

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Ughhhhhh. Goal by Jason Blake - Leafs up 3-2 early in the 3rd. C'mon Pens!

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Memo to Shero, TRADE WHITNEY FOR ST. LOUIS!!!

Thank You

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 08:32 PM
6-2 Leafs late in the 3rd. The Pens played ONE period of hockey tonight which is unacceptable. I'm keeping the faith, though. :hope:

Fire Haley
02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
The fat lady is stepping up to the podium.

Turn out the lights, the partys over.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess they were due for an absolute clunker of a game. The problem is that this is not the time for clunkers, not when they're trying to get into the playoffs. Toronto is a team below them in the standings and a team they should beat, and they got owned tonight. The only good news is that Carolina is also getting spanked 5-1 by the Blue Jackets, so they won't gain any ground either. Disappointing, but no use dwelling on it. Got to beat the Isles on Monday.

But for the love of God, can we NOT get the Laffs on HNIC next year? All 3 games they won have been on HNIC, and they've scored 18 goals in those 3 games.

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
I guess they were due for an absolute clunker of a game. The problem is that this is not the time for clunkers, not when they're trying to get into the playoffs. Toronto is a team below them in the standings and a team they should beat, and they got owned tonight. The only good news is that Carolina is also getting spanked 5-1 by the Blue Jackets, so they won't gain any ground either. Disappointing, but no use dwelling on it. Got to beat the Isles on Monday.

But for the love of God, can we NOT get the Laffs on HNIC next year? All 3 games they won have been on HNIC, and they've scored 18 goals in those 3 games.

2 were in Canada.

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
The fat lady is stepping up to the podium.

Turn out the lights, the partys over.

Yep, it's over. The Make Beleafs(although after tonight I can't really say that) have OWNED the Pens this year. Blake is a heck of a player. That whole team, after we went out to a 2-0 lead...they came out smoking..playing physical, out hustling the Pens to the puck...just worked them over good. :banging:

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 08:50 PM
2 were in Canada.

The 7-3 loss here was also an HNIC game.

BTW, on the other board I'm on, the calls for MT's firing are heating up again. Hate to tell them, but he isn't getting fired. If they wanted him gone, they'd have done it last month. Some of the things he does just drives me bananas, particularly his constant line juggling, and I really do think the players have tuned him out, but he isn't going anywhere. If they don't make the playoffs this season, though, then I'd suggest he put his house up for sale.

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2009, 08:52 PM
The 7-3 loss here was also an HNIC game.

BTW, on the other board I'm on, the calls for MT's firing are heating up again. Hate to tell them, but he isn't getting fired. If they wanted him gone, they'd have done it last month. Some of the things he does just drives me bananas, particularly his constant line juggling, and I really do think the players have tuned him out, but he isn't going anywhere. If they don't make the playoffs this season, though, then I'd suggest he put his house up for sale.

If anyone needs to go, it's Yeo. The Power Play has been awful all year.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
If anyone needs to go, it's Yeo. The Power Play has been awful all year.

I'm only down on him because he refuses to make changes and put players in positions to score on the PP. But until tonight, he didn't have Gonchar, who as you saw tonight makes a HUGE difference on the PP. I thought it looked pretty good tonight, they just couldn't score.

SteelCityMan786
02-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm only down on him because he refuses to make changes and put players in positions to score on the PP. But until tonight, he didn't have Gonchar, who as you saw tonight makes a HUGE difference on the PP. I thought it looked pretty good tonight, they just couldn't score.

That's my big beef. If someone is not working, THEN WHY NOT TRY SOMEONE ELSE in that situation??? The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they still couldn't put it in the net.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
That's my big beef. If someone is not working, THEN WHY NOT TRY SOMEONE ELSE in that situation??? The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they still couldn't put it in the net.

It's not so much that they should try someone else, it's that they should try some different things every now and then. But he insists on keeping Sid and Geno on the same side of the ice ALL THE TIME. If he would rotate Sid around and use him behind the net more often, I think it would be better, especially when he has Gonchar and his shot back in the lineup. He also could use someone who will consistently stand in front of the net - he has no one willing to do it. Even though he's overpaid, they should have kept Malone.

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 09:15 PM

You have me confused here, Eric. A few pages back, you thought Therrien's firing might be a good idea in order to secure St. Louis (which I thought was utter bullshit, sorry). :confused:

If the Pens don't make the playoffs this season (and there's still a LOT of hockey yet to be played and positioning to take place) - the players are most at fault for not playing 60 minutes of hockey each and every game.

Therrien isn't going anywhere even if the Pens don't make the playoffs this season. He came in to try to clean up Eddie Olcyzk's mess in the 05-06 season, coached his team into the playoffs in the 06-07 season and went to the SC finals last season. The guy is a winner and if the guys think he is too tough on them, boo frickity hoo. They don't get paid zillions of dollars per year to slack off.

Fire Haley
02-14-2009, 09:22 PM
The post-game interview with Sid was horrible to watch.

30 mics stuck in his face asking him why the team sucks so bad. Sid blamed it on the early turnovers that got them out of their game and lost momentum.

You know it's bad when Don Cherry came on after and was feeling sorry for Sid, acutally defending him for staying around to answer questions when he's obviously sick as a dog. No grit he says - Pens lost all their grit players from last year.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 09:23 PM
You have me confused here, Eric. A few pages back, you thought Therrien's firing might be a good idea in order to secure St. Louis (which I thought was utter bullshit, sorry). :confused:

If the Pens don't make the playoffs this season (and there's still a LOT of hockey yet to be played and positioning to take place) - the players are most at fault for not playing 60 minutes of hockey each and every game.

Therrien isn't going anywhere even if the Pens don't make the playoffs this season. He came in to try to clean up Eddie Olcyzk's mess in the 05-06 season, coached his team into the playoffs in the 06-07 season and went to the SC finals last season. The guy is a winner and if the guys think he is too tough on them, boo frickity hoo. They don't get paid zillions of dollars per year to slack off.

Yeah, I said that if it turns out that good players are refusing to come here or stay here because of MT, then yes, the brass should consider firing him. It's well-documented that Recchi, Orpik and Ruutu all didn't like him and I didn't know that Roberts didn't either until yesterday. Hell, Orpik almost left because of MT and it took Sid and Max to convince him to stay. Many of the current players don't like him either. But - and I told the guys at the other board the same thing - he isn't going to be fired before the end of the season. The Brass made that clear last month when they gave him the vote of confidence and basically said that the players have to play. They are right, of course, and you are also right that if they don't make the playoffs, the players have no one to blame but themselves. However, players don't get fired - coaches do, and that's why I believe that if they don't make it, MT will be unemployed at season's end.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 09:32 PM

30 mics stuck in his face asking him why the team sucks so bad. Sid blamed it on the early turnovers that got them out of their game and lost momentum.

You know it's bad when Don Cherry came on after and was feeling sorry for Sid, acutally defending him for staying around to answer questions when he's obviously sick as a dog. No grit he says - Pens lost all their grit players from last year.

Well, he's right - the Pens don't have any grit. I said that at the beginning of the season. Ray Shero is getting blamed for that because he went after That Guy Who Stiffed Us and ended up losing Malone, Roberts and Hall in the process, but that's BS. Fans clamored all last year that they were a great goal scorer away from getting to The Show. Shero - and Mario - did that by acquiring TGWSU. How was he to know he was going to get jerked around? I won't blame Shero for that - he did what he had to do, and unfortunately he got burned. I think he's going to try to fix that by the trade deadline and definitely for next season.

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I said that if it turns out that good players are refusing to come here or stay here because of MT, then yes, the brass should consider firing him. It's well-documented that Recchi, Orpik and Ruutu all didn't like him and I didn't know that Roberts didn't either until yesterday. Hell, Orpik almost left because of MT and it took Sid and Max to convince him to stay. Many of the current players don't like him either. But - and I told the guys at the other board the same thing - he isn't going to be fired before the end of the season. The Brass made that clear last month when they gave him the vote of confidence and basically said that the players have to play. They are right, of course, and you are also right that if they don't make the playoffs, the players have no one to blame but themselves. However, players don't get fired - coaches do, and that's why I believe that if they don't make it, MT will be unemployed at season's end.

If "good players refuse to come here" based on the opinions of two has-beens (Recchi and Roberts), then as I said - I don't want them here. Recchi wanted to be treated as a star when he didn't put up the numbers here in his last stint to warrant that title. Ruutu doesn't even like himself - LOL! As for Orpik - for a guy that doesn't like his coach, he's one of the few who gives 100% each and every game. Mario isn't stupid - the Pens have played their best hockey in quite a few years with Therrien at the helm and MT seems to get along well with both Sid and Geno, whose opinions would certainly matter to Mario and the brass.

I say Therrien stays whether the Pens make the playoffs or not. If he is fired because the players don't like his "no bullshit" attitude, demands hard work and expects them to bust their asses for 60 minutes each and every game (which they should considering the big bucks they're getting to play), that would be a total travesty and I think I would lose a lot of respect for the Pens organization.

X-Terminator
02-14-2009, 10:33 PM
If "good players refuse to come here" based on the opinions of two has-beens (Recchi and Roberts), then as I said - I don't want them here. Recchi wanted to be treated as a star when he didn't put up the numbers here in his last stint to warrant that title. Ruutu doesn't even like himself - LOL! As for Orpik - for a guy that doesn't like his coach, he's one of the few who gives 100% each and every game. Mario isn't stupid - the Pens have played their best hockey in quite a few years with Therrien at the helm and MT seems to get along well with both Sid and Geno, whose opinions would certainly matter to Mario and the brass.

I say Therrien stays whether the Pens make the playoffs or not. If he is fired because the players don't like his "no bullshit" attitude, demands hard work and expects them to bust their asses for 60 minutes each and every game (which they should considering the big bucks they're getting to play), that would be a total travesty and I think I would lose a lot of respect for the Pens organization.

Look at it like this - say you own a business, and you put someone in charge as manager who ends up not getting along with his/her employees. Word gets around and your business ends up losing quality people and other potential quality workers don't want to come to your business because they don't want to work for said manager. Do you as the owner sit by while you lose and can't recruit good employees because of the manager, and thus hurting your business...or do you fire him/her and try to change the atmosphere of the workplace, and make people want to work for your company? That's what's at stake here. If keeping MT around despite alienating the team is holding them back from reaching their potential, then The Brass has no choice but to make a change.

As far as why they don't like him, I don't think it's his "no bullshit" attitude or that he demands that they work hard, I think it's his personnel and on-ice decisions that they don't like. They probably feel he lacks faith in them when he is constantly changing lines or demoting/promoting players who don't deserve it or not putting them in positions where they can succeed. If you don't know from one shift to the next who you're going to be playing with, how can you gain any kind of consistency? How can you play well when if you have one bad game or period, you find yourself on the bench or on the 4th line? I think that is the problem, not necessarily his demanding coaching style. And I still believe he's getting a pink slip if they don't make the playoffs.

pittsburghp8baller
02-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Well, he's right - the Pens don't have any grit. I said that at the beginning of the season. Ray Shero is getting blamed for that because he went after That Guy Who Stiffed Us and ended up losing Malone, Roberts and Hall in the process, but that's BS. Fans clamored all last year that they were a great goal scorer away from getting to The Show. Shero - and Mario - did that by acquiring TGWSU. How was he to know he was going to get jerked around? I won't blame Shero for that - he did what he had to do, and unfortunately he got burned. I think he's going to try to fix that by the trade deadline and definitely for next season.

well if that is the case, we should def NOT trade for St. Louis cause he will def not help us then. hockeybuzz has Erik Cole to Pittsburgh the hottest rumor along with Petr Prucha and Marian Gaborik. Cole would be the best fit in the case of 'grit'.

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Wow, Cherry actually felt sorry for, and defended Sidney :jawdrop:? In the words of Mike Lange "Ya gotta be here to believe it."

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Look at it like this - say you own a business, and you put someone in charge as manager who ends up not getting along with his/her employees. Word gets around and your business ends up losing quality people and other potential quality workers don't want to come to your business because they don't want to work for said manager. Do you as the owner sit by while you lose and can't recruit good employees because of the manager, and thus hurting your business...or do you fire him/her and try to change the atmosphere of the workplace, and make people want to work for your company? That's what's at stake here. If keeping MT around despite alienating the team is holding them back from reaching their potential, then The Brass has no choice but to make a change.

If the manager is instrumental in making my business prosper, such as is the case with the Pens and Therrien, I'm going to stick with my manager - hands down. You yourself told me just last season that several players from other teams sought out the Pens and wanted to play for them - guess who was the coach? We have a couple of disgruntled has-beens here, new to another team, who are trying to persuade a teammate (who has been with the Lightning for a good number of seasons) not to consider the Pens because they have a problem with its coach. If St. Louis can be influenced that much by 2 guys who are headed out the door of their careers, as I said - I don't want him on this team.

As far as why they don't like him, I don't think it's his "no bullshit" attitude or that he demands that they work hard, I think it's his personnel and on-ice decisions that they don't like. They probably feel he lacks faith in them when he is constantly changing lines or demoting/promoting players who don't deserve it or not putting them in positions where they can succeed. If you don't know from one shift to the next who you're going to be playing with, how can you gain any kind of consistency? How can you play well when if you have one bad game or period, you find yourself on the bench or on the 4th line? I think that is the problem, not necessarily his demanding coaching style. And I still believe he's getting a pink slip if they don't make the playoffs

So - these are your thoughts as to why the players supposedly don't like Therrien? I've never heard or read anything with regard to any of our players being unhappy with him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Therrien getting the hook if the Pens don't make the playoffs.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 11:52 AM
well if that is the case, we should def NOT trade for St. Louis cause he will def not help us then. hockeybuzz has Erik Cole to Pittsburgh the hottest rumor along with Petr Prucha and Marian Gaborik. Cole would be the best fit in the case of 'grit'.

First of all, I don't believe anything that comes from Eklund's site. Secondly, you absolutely trade for St. Louis because he fills a glaring area of need on the team. They should also see if Ottawa is willing to part with Chris Neil, because rumor has it that he is available. Getting him takes care of the grit problem. I want no part of either Prucha or "Glass Groin" Gaborik, which is a shame because when he's healthy, he's awesome. I just don't want to see the Pens throw millions of dollars down the drain for a guy who'll give you maybe 40-50 games a year.

If the manager is instrumental in making my business prosper, such as is the case with the Pens and Therrien, I'm going to stick with my manager - hands down. You yourself told me just last season that several players from other teams sought out the Pens and wanted to play for them - guess who was the coach? We have a couple of disgruntled has-beens here, new to another team, who are trying to persuade a teammate (who has been with the Lightning for a good number of seasons) not to consider the Pens because they have a problem with its coach. If St. Louis can be influenced that much by 2 guys who are headed out the door of their careers, as I said - I don't want him on this team.

I understand that the manager (MT) was instrumental in making the business (the Pens) successful, but what if the manager is hurting your ability to prosper down the road by not being able to improve by bringing in quality talent? I can't see how you'd stick by him in that situation. Yes, some players did inquire about playing here, but that's because of the opportunity to play with Geno and Sid. That's why Satan wanted to come here, same for Sykora 2 years ago. Hopefully that will influence St. Louis' decision more than Roberts or Recchi's problem with MT, if in fact a deal is made and he's asked to waive his NTC.

So - these are your thoughts as to why the players supposedly don't like Therrien? I've never heard or read anything with regard to any of our players being unhappy with him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Therrien getting the hook if the Pens don't make the playoffs.

Part of it is my own thoughts, some came from sources I've read online (particularly the one about guys getting promoted/demoted when they didn't deserve it, and many of the players disliking MT). Still though, you have to admit that it's difficult to gain consistency if you're constantly being shuffled throughout the lineup. All of the successful teams have the ability to roll 4 lines, the same 4 lines, each and every game. That's what the Pens need to do, but MT can't stick with line combinations for more than a shift or 2. It's frustrating, and it has to be frustrating to the players.

SteelCityMan786
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I CAN'T EFFIN BELIEVE THIS!!! Blysma is entitled to show us what he can do, BUT I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY ACTUALLY DID THIS!!! If anyone should have been fired IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN JUST YEO!!
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09046/949415-100.stm
Therrien fired, Blysma in as Penguins' interim head coach
Sunday, February 15, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- The Penguins have fired coach Michel Therrien and replaced him with Dan Bylsma, coach of their farm team in Wilkes-Barre, on an interim basis.

Bylsma, a first-year head coach in the American Hockey League, will make his NHL debut when the Penguins face the New York Islanders Monday at 2:08 p.m. at Nassau Coliseum.

Tom Fitzgerald, who has had a player-development job for the Penguins, will join the coaching staff as an assistant. Assistant coach Andre Savard has been reassigned, while assistants Mike Yeo and Gilles Meloche will retain their current positions.

"We believe we need a change in direction and, with 25 games remaining in the regular season, our goal remains to finish strong and qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs," general manager Ray Shero said in a prepared statement. "Dan Bylsma is one of the bright young coaches in the game and has done an exceptional job as the head coach in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season.

"We also would like to thank Michel Therrien for his significant contributions to the Penguins organization."

The Baby Penguins are 35-16-1-2 under Bylsma, who joined the Penguins organization as an assistant to Todd Richards in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2006-07.

Pittsburghfan
02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't mind. Lets just hope that it turns the team around and they get back on track to Lord Stanley. Its good news though.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
I CAN'T EFFIN BELIEVE THIS!!! Blysma is entitled to show us what he can do, BUT I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY ACTUALLY DID THIS!!! If anyone should have been fired IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN JUST YEO!!
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09046/949415-100.stm
Therrien fired, Blysma in as Penguins' interim head coach
Sunday, February 15, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- The Penguins have fired coach Michel Therrien and replaced him with Dan Bylsma, coach of their farm team in Wilkes-Barre, on an interim basis.

Bylsma, a first-year head coach in the American Hockey League, will make his NHL debut when the Penguins face the New York Islanders Monday at 2:08 p.m. at Nassau Coliseum.

Tom Fitzgerald, who has had a player-development job for the Penguins, will join the coaching staff as an assistant. Assistant coach Andre Savard has been reassigned, while assistants Mike Yeo and Gilles Meloche will retain their current positions.

"We believe we need a change in direction and, with 25 games remaining in the regular season, our goal remains to finish strong and qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs," general manager Ray Shero said in a prepared statement. "Dan Bylsma is one of the bright young coaches in the game and has done an exceptional job as the head coach in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season.

"We also would like to thank Michel Therrien for his significant contributions to the Penguins organization."

The Baby Penguins are 35-16-1-2 under Bylsma, who joined the Penguins organization as an assistant to Todd Richards in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2006-07.

Wow. I SO did not see this coming. I thought if they were going to fire him, it was going to be at the end of the season. But as has been said, the problems with the team run deeper than the head coach. Mainly, a team that only shows up to play for 20 minutes a night. But what I don't understand is how the hell does Mike Yeo keep his job? He's done a TERRIBLE job with the PP this season, Gonchar being out of the lineup notwithstanding. I am glad that they retained Gilles Meloche - he's one of the best goalie coaches in the business.

Oh well, thanks MT for all you've done, and welcome to Pittsburgh Dan Bylsma.

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
I am in UTTER disbelief!!!! :jawdrop: I cannot believe that the Pens did this to Therrien who was a proven WINNER!! Replacing a winning HC with a rookie out of Wilkes-Barre? What the hell are they thinking???? :banging::doh:

SteelCityMan786
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Wow. I SO did not see this coming. I thought if they were going to fire him, it was going to be at the end of the season. But as has been said, the problems with the team run deeper than the head coach. Mainly, a team that only shows up to play for 20 minutes a night. But what I don't understand is how the hell does Mike Yeo keep his job? He's done a TERRIBLE job with the PP this season, Gonchar being out of the lineup notwithstanding. I am glad that they retained Gilles Meloche - he's one of the best goalie coaches in the business.

Oh well, thanks MT for all you've done, and welcome to Pittsburgh Dan Bylsma.

I Believe the only person who should have been fired is Yeo. His control of the power play makes me want to choke him.

I just hope the fact that this guy had the chance to coach some of these guys in the AHL helps them adapt very quickly.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I am in UTTER disbelief!!!! :jawdrop: I cannot believe that the Pens did this to Therrien who was a proven WINNER!! Replacing a winning HC with a rookie out of Wilkes-Barre? What the hell are they thinking???? :banging::doh:

Bylsma is also just a few years removed from actually playing. He retired in 2004. Anyway, the guy has been doing a good job in Wilkes-Barre, so I'll give him a shot to see what he can do. I'm still in shock over this, though.

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Bylsma is also just a few years removed from actually playing. He retired in 2004. Anyway, the guy has been doing a good job in Wilkes-Barre, so I'll give him a shot to see what he can do. I'm still in shock over this, though.

While I will wish this new coach all the best, I'm seriously considering not renewing my part of the season tix next season, Eric. IMHO - this was TOTALLY uncalled for. :mad::mad::mad: It appears in this organization, the inmates run the asylum.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
While I will wish this new coach all the best, I'm seriously considering not renewing my part of the season tix next season, Eric. IMHO - this was TOTALLY uncalled for. :mad::mad::mad: It appears in this organization, the inmates run the asylum.

I think that's a little bit drastic, but you're certainly entitled to feel that way. Plus, Bylsma is only an interim coach - they're already discussing who they will bring in next season if they don't keep him. But Marianne, when a team is struggling, someone has to take the fall, and unfortunately, the HC is that guy. The players aren't going to be fired.

fansince'76
02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
....when a team is struggling, someone has to take the fall, and unfortunately, the HC is that guy. The players aren't going to be fired.

In the middle of the season, though? Pardon me as I'm fairly ignorant about hockey, but it seems that firing a coach in the middle of the season in any sport signals a franchise has pretty much given up on that season. :noidea:

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I think that's a little bit drastic, but you're certainly entitled to feel that way. Plus, Bylsma is only an interim coach - they're already discussing who they will bring in next season if they don't keep him. But Marianne, when a team is struggling, someone has to take the fall, and unfortunately, the HC is that guy. The players aren't going to be fired.

I don't feel it is drastic at all and I'm not inclined to pad the pockets of an organization who, as I said, allows the inmates to run the asylum. I could see if Therrien had come in 3 seasons ago and the team went downhill, but they didn't. He cleaned up the mess Olcyzk created, made the playoffs the following season and coached that team to the Stanley Cup FINALS last season!!! Therrien was a drill sargeant most of the time but that was his style and the FO knew that up front. It's total BULLSHIT in my opinion. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, who's next to get the ax - Shero?

steelersfanman92
02-15-2009, 08:33 PM
In the middle of the season, though? Pardon me as I'm fairly ignorant about hockey, but it seems that firing a coach in the middle of the season in any sport signals a franchise has pretty much given up on that season. :noidea:

I agree with that when you go into a season you put your trust into your coach you cant just fire him during the season it affects all aspects of the team from players to fans, IMO you just dont do that

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Coaches have been fired with less than 2 weeks to go in the season when their team was in playoff position in the NHL, so it's not a signal that they've given up. I distinctly remember the Devils' GM Lou Lamoriello doing this a few years ago, and they nearly went to the SCF.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't feel it is drastic at all and I'm not inclined to pad the pockets of an organization who, as I said, allows the inmates to run the asylum. I could see if Therrien had come in 3 seasons ago and the team went downhill, but they didn't. He cleaned up the mess Olcyzk created, made the playoffs the following season and coached that team to the Stanley Cup FINALS last season!!! Therrien was a drill sargeant most of the time but that was his style and the FO knew that up front. It's total BULLSHIT in my opinion. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, who's next to get the ax - Shero?

No, Shero's job is safe, but he does deserve some criticism for the makeup of the team - let's face it, it isn't a good one. There's only so much the HC can do in that situation - he's trying to fit players into roles that they really aren't used to playing. And yes, some of the players tuning MT out didn't help either Overall, it just isn't a good situation and unfortunately, MT had to be the one to take the fall. But if you do decide not to renew your half of the season tickets, I'll understand.

EDIT: From what I've been reading, it looks like you are correct in your assumption - basically, The Brass caved to the players and fired MT because they weren't responding to him anymore. Crosby and Malkin, however, didn't seem to have any issues with him.

SteelCityMan786
02-15-2009, 09:19 PM

I am also feeling the same way. This is one reason why Hockey does not get the same following some of the other sports do. I have not seen a sport be so tough on their coaches. Stability is a wonderful thing. I would seriously like to see one owner decide to take on what the Rooney's have done in the Football world as an experiment and see how it works.

Plus why change the system on the players this late in the season?

I guess that's one thing to be happy about. But still I am in shock.

It's been done in Hockey before and teams still have made the playoffs.

Also Eddy was a bit more loose with the team from what I have heard. He didn't make them do too many drills. It was all pick up games

Coaches have been fired with less than 2 weeks to go in the season when their team was in playoff position in the NHL, so it's not a signal that they've given up. I distinctly remember the Devils' GM Lou Lamoriello doing this a few years ago, and they nearly went to the SCF.

That was the case with Claud Jullien

No, Shero's job is safe, but he does deserve some criticism for the makeup of the team - let's face it, it isn't a good one. There's only so much the HC can do in that situation - he's trying to fit players into roles that they really aren't used to playing. And yes, some of the players tuning MT out didn't help either Overall, it just isn't a good situation and unfortunately, MT had to be the one to take the fall. But if you do decide not to renew your half of the season tickets, I'll understand.

EDIT: From what I've been reading, it looks like you are correct in your assumption - basically, The Brass caved to the players and fired MT because they weren't responding to him anymore. Crosby and Malkin, however, didn't seem to have any issues with him.

Shero's job is safe, but he did place a big black eye on this team. He should have just fired Mike Yeo.

X-Terminator
02-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Julien was the guy I was thinking of, and ol' Lou replaced him with himself. He also fired Robbie Ftorek very late in the season in the early 90s and replaced him with Larry Robinson.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I'm not liking this move even though I kinda understand it. They should have just fired Yeo and Savard.