PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
4-0 on a Malkin Goal.

steelpride12
03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Gotta admit, Fluery is looking very good so far tonight stopping 15 of 15 shots and had to put up with two stars PP's and was lights out. Still giving up alot of rebounds, but there not finishing.

steelpride12
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Dupuis just got robbed in front of the net from a great feed from Talbot!

steelpride12
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
4-1, there goes our shut out chance.

steelpride12
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Staal robbed in front of the net and the goalie down Kunitz couldn't finish. Stars PP coming up 5 minutes remaining.

HometownGal
03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Looks like the Pens got this one 4-1! :applaudit::hatsoff:

2 road wins in a row - they're lookin' good! :thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Pens back in that 8th and final spot! Great job guys! :banana:

steelpride12
03-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Well one good game from the Pens today winning by an easy 4 to 1 and player of the game by far again Malkin as well as Fluery playing lights out.
Great to see the Pens move into 8th place in the standings now, of course won't hold but for now great to see.
Congrats to Fleury for his 100th career win.
Next game against the struggling lightning but always a tough game for the Pens and now looking for 4 in a row and the Pens winning without Crosby, hoping his return will only make them stronger. Great win today!
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
It's nice to see the Pens take advantage of a depleted and tired team for a change, because they've been on the business end of these kind of losses all season. What I like is that they really forecheck hard now - that is something that Therrien, let's face it, did not do very often. They've become more aggressive, they're more physical, and as a result, it's putting the other team on their heels. You can't ask for a better road game than what they turned in today, and doing it with Sid out of the lineup.

Seeing them back in that 8 seed looks so damn good! And they're only 5 points out of 5th place and 6 points out of 4th. If they continue this hot streak...look out!

Onward to Tampa in their final game before the trade deadline on Wednesday. And from what I hear, the Pens will be quite active. This will be a different team when they take the ice in Sunrise, FL on Thursday against the Panthers.

steelpride12
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
It's nice to see the Pens take advantage of a depleted and tired team for a change, because they've been on the business end of these kind of losses all season. What I like is that they really forecheck hard now - that is something that Therrien, let's face it, did not do very often. They've become more aggressive, they're more physical, and as a result, it's putting the other team on their heels. You can't ask for a better road game than what they turned in today, and doing it with Sid out of the lineup.

Seeing them back in that 8 seed looks so damn good! And they're only 5 points out of 5th place and 6 points out of 4th. If they continue this hot streak...look out!

Onward to Tampa in their final game before the trade deadline on Wednesday. And from what I hear, the Pens will be quite active. This will be a different team when they take the ice in Sunrise, FL on Thursday against the Panthers.

Yes, I really like the physicality and the forecheck game Bylsma has brought to the Pens and lets face it we can all see the new life in this team right now and Bylsma if your not keeping track is 5-1-1 right now and lifting these Pens at the right time. Florida will be shocked to see the team now and compare them to then becuase were not that same team that got blown out, and these 3 upcoming games against them are HUGE, and once Sid is back in the lineup I feel confident in take 2 or even 3 of the wins from them, lets face it. 8th place is not good enough or 7th even becuase we don't wanna play Boston or Washington first round, but like you said were only 4, 5, and 6 points out of 5th place and the Pens finally have life and riding a 3 game win streak. Lets finish this season off strong! GO PENS! :drink:

HometownGal
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM

I was pissed, as you well know, when they fired Therrien and I'm still pissed at the WAY they did it, but Bylsma seems to have turned this team around and has done a great job. :thumbsup: They looked strong today and played very well defensively! :applaudit:

On to Tampa on Tuesday!

OneForTheToe
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I was pissed, as you well know, when they fired Therrien and I'm still pissed at the WAY they did it, but Bylsma seems to have turned this team around and has done a great job. :thumbsup: They looked strong today and played very well defensively! :applaudit:

On to Tampa on Tuesday!

I agree Bylsma has a good job. However, I think this team would have snuck into the playoffs if Therrien had stayed as well. They are not a great team this season, but have too much talent to not make a run, IMO. So, let's see what they do if they get there.

X-Terminator
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM

On to Tampa on Tuesday!

Bylsma just might have the "interim" tag removed from his name if he keeps this up. The team looks and plays differently than they did under Therrien, and they seem to have more confidence. Like you, though, I still don't agree with the way MT was canned, and still feel he should have at least been given the rest of the season to work things out.

And now, for the "Pittsburgh fans are fickle as hell" of the day award - over on the hockey board I'm a member of, there are a couple of Pens fans who are getting down on Sid because he's been injured, and are now thinking about maybe trading him since the team allegedly plays better without him than with him. I, of course, completely shot it down. Sid has played with 3rd liners and stiffs all season long and has STILL managed to put up 79 points. Imagine what he'd do if he had guys who resembled goal scorers on his line all season? He'd probably be leading the league in scoring, and the Pens would almost certainly have more wins, meaning Bylsma is still coaching the Baby Pens right now. But nah, it's "well, if the Oil can trade Gretzky, then why not trade Sid?" First of all, Gretzky was traded because Edmonton knew they couldn't afford to re-sign him since all the Canadian teams not named the Laffs or Habs were struggling mightily. That's not the case here. Secondly...have they completely lost their minds??? Sid isn't getting traded, end of story.

pittsburghp8baller
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Bylsma just might have the "interim" tag removed from his name if he keeps this up. The team looks and plays differently than they did under Therrien, and they seem to have more confidence. Like you, though, I still don't agree with the way MT was canned, and still feel he should have at least been given the rest of the season to work things out.

And now, for the "Pittsburgh fans are fickle as hell" of the day award - over on the hockey board I'm a member of, there are a couple of Pens fans who are getting down on Sid because he's been injured, and are now thinking about maybe trading him since the team allegedly plays better without him than with him. I, of course, completely shot it down. Sid has played with 3rd liners and stiffs all season long and has STILL managed to put up 79 points. Imagine what he'd do if he had guys who resembled goal scorers on his line all season? He'd probably be leading the league in scoring, and the Pens would almost certainly have more wins, meaning Bylsma is still coaching the Baby Pens right now. But nah, it's "well, if the Oil can trade Gretzky, then why not trade Sid?" First of all, Gretzky was traded because Edmonton knew they couldn't afford to re-sign him since all the Canadian teams not named the Laffs or Habs were struggling mightily. That's not the case here. Secondly...have they completely lost their minds??? Sid isn't getting traded, end of story.

dam, its like if they arent putting up superhero numbers then they dont want any part of them. i want to see who they thought would actually be a fair trade for Crosby?

and i agree with you on the Bylsma situation, he may have jus erased that title. i missed the game today, i had to get my brother back to his house early as we got a snow storm today and all the roads were all but unusable by 4 and my moms house doesnt have direct TV. Its good to hear that they are being agressive and it def looks like they seem to have new life under Bylsma, lets keep it going into Tampa!!

steelpride12
03-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Yes didn't we see all the trade Crosby chats floating around after a 3 game win streak without him in the line up. It is pretty funny how he points up 2nd best in points this season with players that have no where close his overall skill. Its not like he is our team captain and leader and a piece of the Pittsburgh "core." Its pathetic to hear people talk of such nonsense to a player like Crosby and all he has done for this team and organization.

O Yes watching the Islanders/Avs games the two worst teams in the eastern and western conference is pretty boring and did i mention i hate the islanders ice, its dangerous and I hope for the players sake is fixed soon.

HometownGal
03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Bob Pompeani said last night that the Pens are trying to re-acquire Jarkko Ruutu - anyone hear this? That would make me a VERY happy lady! :banana:

X-Terminator
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Bob Pompeani said last night that the Pens are trying to re-acquire Jarkko Ruutu - anyone hear this? That would make me a VERY happy lady! :banana:

I was just about to post that, but yeah, I've heard it. ESPN has posted it too. I hope they do - I wasn't happy that he was let go, mostly WHY he was let go, and you know I haven't liked his "replacement" Matt Cooke from day one. Seems Ray Shero is trying to fix some of the mistakes he made last summer.

X-Terminator
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
According to TSN, Satan has been put on waivers. A precursor to big things from the Pens in the next 26 hours?

Also, Crosby will not play tonight.

RunWillieRun
03-03-2009, 01:18 PM
According to TSN, Satan has been put on waivers. A precursor to big things from the Pens in the next 26 hours?

Also, Crosby will not play tonight.

I don't know how 'big' of a splash Shero is going to go for this year. I get the feel that he's more interested in improving team toughness and making it harder for other teams to play against the Pens. My bet is that they bring back Ruutu from Ottawa.

Fire Haley
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
List of Players waived

Brendan Morrison (ANA)

Eric Perrin (ATL)

Craig Adams (CHI)

Sean Avery (DAL re-entry) - Claimed by NYR

Tom Preissing (LA) - Cleared

Peter Olvecky (MIN)

Jon Sim (NYI)

Joe Callahan (NYI) - Cleared

Aaron Voros (NYR)

Erik Reitz (NYR)

Martin Gerber (OTT re-entry)

Brenden Bell (OTT)

Steven Goertzen (PHX)

Bill Thomas (PIT) - Cleared

Gary Roberts (TB)

Miroslav Satan (PIT)

Lawrence Nycholat (VAN) - Claimed by CGY

Edman
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Penguins up 3-1 over the Lightning.

Kunitz continues to play big. Two goals in the first period.

Edman
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Big two points tonight. Penguins rolling.

steelpride12
03-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Tonight is another big win for the pens and now 4 in a row without Crosby. Watching Kunitz tonight gave me a flash back of Malone. Both goals were dirty in front of the net goals and thats what Malone did best and something we have been missing that Kunitz brings back.
As the standing are finalized tonight the Pens move into 7th place passing the slumping Rangers who aquired the annoying Sean Avery. Bylsma now 6-1-1 interesting stat.
Well tomorrow is the trade deadline and with Satan on waivers im excited to see what will happen with him and if Shero pulls one more rabbit out of the hat in the last minutes and make another surprising but excellent move like with Kunitz. Gotta admit Shero presses the right buttons and the Pens are as a team with Bylsma coming in and teaching the physical forecheck game that is giving them life.
GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-04-2009, 06:29 AM
What a great game last night and Kunitz came through again! Fleury also played very well in net and I, too, love the checking game the Pens have been playing under Bylsma. :thumbsup: Winning 3 games in a row on the road is no easy task but the Pens have played hard and are on a roll - keep it going guys! :hatsoff:

rbryan
03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Did Gary Roberts leave on bad terms?? He was signed to a reasonable contract, wouldn't cost too much for the stretch run. I know he's old, but I would like to see the Pens pick him back up.

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Pens are 5-0 when Sid is on the bench.

Now the trades begin.

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Livestreaming hockey trade deadline info - all the latest

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/habsvision

SCSTILLER
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
The Lightning game was the first complete game I have been able to watch this year. It looks like this new coach is putting some toughness back into the team, which was desperately needed. Kunitz is a little scrapper like, as mentioned above, Malone. Pens seem to be hitting their groove at exactly the right time.

pittsburghp8baller
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
it official

Pens Claim RW Craig Adams Off Waivers From Chicago
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=412187

Satan has also cleared waivers

steelpride12
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Well we recieved Craig Adams and Bill Guerin.
Guerin will start on at least the 4th line am i correct or third. He is a veteran center with ok stats so far this season. Also a captain in the isle.

X-Terminator
03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Well we recieved Craig Adams and Bill Guerin.
Guerin will start on at least the 4th line am i correct or third. He is a veteran center with ok stats so far this season. Also a captain in the isle.

Um, Billy G ain't playing on the 3rd or 4th line, he'll be on the top line with Crosby and Kunitz. And why not? The guy's played on a horrible team all season and still has a little bit of touch. Plus, he brings grit and experience, 2 things the Pens can use in the locker room.

Craig Adams isn't a bad pickup either. Another gritty forward who likely WILL be playing on the 4th line with Godard and Talbot.

The shocker of the day though? Miroslav Satan sent down to the minors after clearing waivers today. Ouch. Guess The Brass wasn't too happy with his performance this season.

steelpride12
03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Um, Billy G ain't playing on the 3rd or 4th line, he'll be on the top line with Crosby and Kunitz. And why not? The guy's played on a horrible team all season and still has a little bit of touch. Plus, he brings grit and experience, 2 things the Pens can use in the locker room.

Craig Adams isn't a bad pickup either. Another gritty forward who likely WILL be playing on the 4th line with Godard and Talbot.

The shocker of the day though? Miroslav Satan sent down to the minors after clearing waivers today. Ouch. Guess The Brass wasn't too happy with his performance this season.

So Guerin on the top line with Crosby and Kunitz? Sounds good you have a point his points looked good for a crap team and his knowledge and grit will help keep Crosby from getting hit around.
Craig Adams i agree will be a 4th liner who like Godard will get few points, but i feel the point of the trades were more grit and someone for Crosby. Adams is a tough customer and once again teams like Washington and Boston best watch out, they cannot push us around much more.

Im really pleased with the pick ups we made and have an overall good lineup. Line one, two, and three will be solid and the 4th will be our grit line and the defense and goalie positions are good as well. The Pens made some unexpected moves again, but i feel the right moves that makes our Pens scary heading in the playoffs!
GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM

I dunno, XT - I was hoping the Pens would do a little better at the trade deadline, but we'll just have to wait and see how these newbs fit into the Pens lineup. I think it was shitty what they did to Satan, though. Before Kunitz arrived, he was the Pens 4th leading scorer. I realize he didn't get the goal production the Pens had hoped for, but I didn't think he was all that bad. :noidea:

Fire Haley
03-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Satan was the weakest puck handler I've ever seen - he would fall down at the slightest bit of contact and lose every puck he touched along the boards it seemed.

Guerin is a physical right-handed winger that will go to the net with some grit - hopefully, just what we need.

X-Terminator
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I dunno, XT - I was hoping the Pens would do a little better at the trade deadline, but we'll just have to wait and see how these newbs fit into the Pens lineup. I think it was shitty what they did to Satan, though. Before Kunitz arrived, he was the Pens 4th leading scorer. I realize he didn't get the goal production the Pens had hoped for, but I didn't think he was all that bad. :noidea:

I think we all were hoping they'd do better, but I can't argue with who they've brought in. The mission clearly was to get grittier and tougher for the stretch run, and they've done that, without giving up the farm. Kunitz has already paid dividends, and I think Guerin and Adams will be nice additions as well. Shero also was smart in that he did not want to trade away a 1st or 2nd round pick for a possible rental, which is crucial in that the upcoming draft class is supposed to be the deepest since 2003. If he still wants the big scorer, he'll try to address it in free agency or via trade. As for Satan, the word is that he was waived and demoted in order to clear cap space for Guerin and Adams. But he hasn't put up the numbers that they had hoped for and he's a bit of a floater, and the Pens want guys who are more physical and aggressive on the forecheck.

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I think we all were hoping they'd do better, but I can't argue with who they've brought in. The mission clearly was to get grittier and tougher for the stretch run, and they've done that, without giving up the farm. Kunitz has already paid dividends, and I think Guerin and Adams will be nice additions as well. Shero also was smart in that he did not want to trade away a 1st or 2nd round pick for a possible rental, which is crucial in that the upcoming draft class is supposed to be the deepest since 2003. If he still wants the big scorer, he'll try to address it in free agency or via trade. As for Satan, the word is that he was waived and demoted in order to clear cap space for Guerin and Adams. But he hasn't put up the numbers that they had hoped for and he's a bit of a floater, and the Pens want guys who are more physical and aggressive on the forecheck.

OK - good enough. I get it in concept and he didn't produce the way the Pens had hoped. I liked the guy but just wish he would have been a little tougher, as that is obviously what the Pens are after down the stretch. I hope these deals work out for them.

pittsburghp8baller
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Crosby Expected Back In Lineup Vs Florida
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=412516

Penguins center Sidney Crosby will return to the lineup Thursday night against the Florida Panthers at Bank Atlantic CenterFlorida at 7:30 p.m.

Crosby missed the previous four games with a groin injury and will return for a crucial four-point showdown with Florida. He practiced the previous week but the groin hadn't healed enough to play until Thursday.

Defenseman Sergei Gonchar will miss the game. He returned to Pittsburgh to be with his wife, who is expected to have the couple's second child. The Penguins recalled Alex Goligoski from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to replace Gonchar in the lineup. (read more here)

Fire Haley
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
The play-offs are on the line, don't screw it up.

Signed

The Fans

steelpride12
03-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Shoot well good luck to Gonch's wife and himself with the new baby on the way, and lets get you back soon Sarge we need you!
Exciting to see Crosby and Kunitz on the same line, but at the same time optimistic to see if the Pens just keep him on the third line with the chemistry they are having.

steelpride12
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Well end of the first period and it looks like a tight checking, close game and the first goal will be HUGE.
Pens have 14 shots, but not many rebounds out there right now and Fluery making some pretty strong saves so far and this boring crowd im surprised how empty and full of Pens fan there are. No score.
GO PENS!

SteelCityMom
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Haha wow, I was just slightly bummed about Florida taking a 1-0 lead...then seconds later Crosby fires back for a goal!

Welcome back Sid!!

pittsburghp8baller
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
WHAT A GOAL BY SID! tied at 1 right now, great game so far. high energy both ways, vokoun has played really solid all game

steelpride12
03-05-2009, 08:06 PM
End of the second period and what a crazy game. The Pens with a hugh after two with 33 shots on goal and the Panthers scored first and :24 seconds later on the exact and i mean EXACT play Crosby with a great pass from Guerin to Sid, who split the Defense and made a beautful goal to tie it up 1-1 after the two period.
Congrats to Bill Guerin for 800 career points on that assist tonight.
Pens just need to keep getting that puck to the net and staying out of the box. One period to go a tied 1-1 game.
GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
goal TK, its good to see him score, he has been really working hard all game

2-1 Pens

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Tyler Kennedy puts the Pens ahead early in the 3rd 2-1! :banana:

Congrats to my beloved Sarge and his lovely wife on the birth of their daughter (which is why he is out of the lineup tonight!) :cheers:

pittsburghp8baller
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
THAT'S MY BOY LETANG!!!! great fake shot and then an absolute rip shot past vokoun

3-1 Pens

pittsburghp8baller
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
4-1 Pens

TK his second of the night on a 2 on 1 with Geno

Edman
03-05-2009, 09:00 PM
The Red Hot Penguins keep it going. Eight points in four games. Next up, the Washington Crapitals.

SteelCityMan786
03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Movin ON UP!!!

steelpride12
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Keep the train rollin Bylsma, Washington watch out were ready this time!
Pens take it 4-1!
GO PENS!

Fire Haley
03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Fleury was kinda godlike, but he was saved by the post several times too.

A win is a win. Pens had more energy for an entire game for the first time in a long time that I can remember.

It was funny, one of the FL announcers said that when the Pens were losing to them earlier in the year they looked like a team playing to get a new head coach. It worked!

X-Terminator
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
An era comes to an end - Gary Roberts has retired:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=270018&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

A true warrior in every sense of the word, and one of the last remaining players from when hockey was still a man's game. I absolutely loved him when he was here after initially being against bringing him in, and I was really sad to see him go. Wish he could have retired wearing the black and gold.

He'll also always be remembered for this moment:

9fuznwQ58bU

Now we know, sadly, the answer to the question What Would Gary Roberts do?

Good luck in retirement, Scary Gary!

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Best of Luck in retirement Scary Gary

one of my favorite players to play for the Penguins.

Edman
03-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Superman wears Gary Roberts underwear.

You don't have to a hardcore hockey enthusiast to know that Scary Gary is awesome. Game 1 against the Senators in the playoffs last year was vintage Gary. Good Luck to you, Mr. Roberts. And thanks for a great hockey career.

devilsdancefloor
03-06-2009, 11:06 PM
but does scarey gary wear bob probert underwear? :couch:

anyway on a serious note he wil be missed at least some of us wil miss him! i do miss the good ol days of hockey! 5 min major penalty for fighting 10 min misconduct penalty oh those where the days!:wink02:

SteelCityMan786
03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Good Luck Gary. You will be missed.

X-Terminator
03-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Interesting thing is that he was one of only 2 players left in the league that played during the bench-clearing brawl era, the other being Brendan Shanahan. He's also one of just 4 players in the history of the league to score 50 goals and get 200 PIMs in a season, and 2 of the remaining 3 are still active today (Keith Tkachuk and Shanahan). The guy also came back from a neck injury that would have crippled an average man to have many more productive seasons. He truly was a man among men, and IMO deserved to end his career with dignity, rather than because of the waiver wire.

HometownGal
03-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Best of luck to you, Scary Gary! :drink:

X-Terminator
03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Pens are getting absolutely NO help tonight. Carolina is hammering Tampa Bay, and the Panthers are leading the Blues. The Sabres are losing right now to Ottawa, but it's looking like the Pens will go into tomorrow out of the playoffs once again, maybe back in 10th place if Buffalo wins. Dammit. The Pens have NO margin for error - they have to win tomorrow and keep winning.

EDIT - Buffalo just tied the game. Damn.

X-Terminator
03-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Well Buffalo lost, so the Pens will be 9th going into tomorrow. Surely can get ONE win against the Caps this season!

SteelCityMan786
03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Well Buffalo lost, so the Pens will be 9th going into tomorrow. Surely can get ONE win against the Caps this season!

No time like Sunday to break that chain.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I have the feeling the Pens will win today with the Caps struggling as of recently and with the Pens not having any Margin of error with a place in the 9th spot again we need wins like this tough on the road! Finish this road trip strong Pens!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 02:14 PM
GOOOOALLLL!!! A 2 on 1 Guerin Pass to Crosby wide open net and Pens look good with a 1-0 lead early!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Shoot Pens taking alot of Penalties early! Can't do that against the #2 PP!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Wow Letang stuck behind the net backstrom in front of the net gets hit with the puck and an easy goal for Semin. Letangs fault.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Im sorry but i I hate Fluery controlling the puck behind the net, he makes way to many mistakes and just was an inch from creating a goal by making a blind pass to a capital! Sheeesh.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
sighh another Pens penalty Gonch again, which is bullshit this is a physical game and one little push gets called. Refs 1.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow what a first period or should I say fight round 1. This is one physical games, even though im not happy with the calls against the Pens which were weak shots in a hard, tough game, but the Pens stood up and held off all 3 PP's and if its not for Letangs stupidity its still 1-0. Well Its 1-1 after the first period and the Pens need to stay out of the box if they want a chance to finish this!
GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow what a first period or should I say fight round 1. This is one physical games, even though im not happy with the calls against the Pens which were weak shots in a hard, tough game, but the Pens stood up and held off all 3 PP's and if its not for Letangs stupidity its still 1-0. Well Its 1-1 after the first period and the Pens need to stay out of the box if they want a chance to finish this!
GO PENS!

Fight Round 1 is more appropriate.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
So Dupuis gets nailed to the ice after the play is over and no call. Hm refs?

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Sarge with a rocket of a slapshot on the PP and the Pens lead 2-1!!! :banana:

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
GOOOOALLLL! Gonchar on the Pens PP as Guerin fed great traffic in front of the net as Gonch buries its from the point! Pens lead 2-1!
GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Billy Guerin scores!!!! :banana: 3-1 Pens!

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Wow an amazing pass from Crosby and Guerin just a beautiful wrister to give the Pens a 3-1 lead wow looks like one hell of a line!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Good Stats, Crosby goal and assist, Guerin Goal and Assist and Letang 2 assists.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:35 PM
NO GOAL!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Shoot Orpik to the box.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:40 PM
End of the second period and the Caps wanna be physical the Pens want to win. Only 12 shots, but 3 goals as the Super Stars and New players shine with Goals from Daddy Gonch and Guerin and Both goals were beautiful ones as the Pens take a needed 2 goal lead, but against this team were not safe until around a 4 goal lead. Looks like the caps struggle continues. Go Pens!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Ovechkin goal on the PP. No more Caps PP's!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Bad change and tie game 3 to 3 break away goal. Wow.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Well the momentum is ALL with the Caps, lets see how the Pens respond to this sloppy third period start.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I thought the Flyers had annoying fans, but wow Washington is a close second!

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I thought the Flyers had annoying fans, but wow Washington is a close second!

Y'know - I thought the NHL had a rule in place where there weren't allowed to be any airhorns, organ music, etc. while the game was in play, but for years on end, someone blows that horn while the Caps fans chant - someone really should call the league's attention to that. It has to be a distraction.

C'mon guys - we need another goal here to take their momentum away.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow if we don't start taking shots and getting better chances the Caps are gonna score quick there is too much momentum and strut right now and they are feeding off the fans. Either we answer or will walk away with 0 points today. FINISH PENS!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Please someone cover ovechkin he can score from anywhere in any position and he is getting shots!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Pens PP coming up, we must score!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
What a good looking PP, we didn't score, but if we put that much pressure and those many shots every PP, we will be flying high looked amazing.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Malkin getting robbed and now tripped another Pens PP coming up with 6:55 to go!
Score time!

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
OT coming.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Shootout on its way. Lets home our stars attempt actual moves on this SO and hopefully we can pull out that needed second point!

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
WOWWWWWWWW!!!! What a great game by the Pens! A perfect 5-0 road trip to boot! HUGE win today by our guys! :cheers:

Edman
03-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Almost blew another game, but a win is a win! Pens streak continues!

SteelCityMan786
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
WOWWWWWWWW!!!! What a great game by the Pens! A perfect 5-0 road trip to boot! HUGE win today by our guys! :cheers:

Just get us a win, that's all I ask. :drink:

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
PENS WIN!, Crosby with the lone shootout goal with a beautiful fake and up top wins it for the Pens in the shootout giving us the 2 points, 6 straight and one step closer to staying in the playoff race!

Good to see Crosby win it today for the Caps annoying fans who go figure disrespect Crosby and It sure looks like Guerin was a great pick up and Crosby is happy with his new line mates!

A few mistakes with the Letang pass, 4 players on the ice, but the Pens are working through it all and Im giving my hats off to Fluery and this may be a surprise but, Mark Eaton, the number of shots blocked he gets a game in remarkable giving up his body everytime to stop a chance hats off to him.

Phew What a game and effort by the Pens now riding these points to the Stanely Cup Playoffs. Pens PP scored and looked good, while the PK killed off all Caps chances tonight def. early and just overall looking good. Sykora was out tonight, but not suppose to be a long injury no worries.
GO PENS GO!

pittsburghp8baller
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Great Game!!! i missed the first part of the third, which ended up being a good thing. Malkin really steped up in the third and almost scored a couple of times.

Bill Guerin is looking like the steal of the deadline as the Crosby-Kunitz-Guerin line is looking real good together.

a couple of big games this week, Florida and Columbus, we better bring our A game

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Great Game!!! i missed the first part of the third, which ended up being a good thing. Malkin really steped up in the third and almost scored a couple of times.

Bill Guerin is looking like the steal of the deadline as the Crosby-Kunitz-Guerin line is looking real good together.

a couple of big games this week, Florida and Columbus, we better bring our A game

Hey 8baller - since my post was covered up by the kid talking to himself in this thread throughout the game - can you answer this? I remember years ago that there was rule of this sort in effect but don't know if the NHL has changed their stance in the last decade or so.

X-Terminator
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey 8baller - since my post was covered up by the kid talking to himself in this thread throughout the game - can you answer this? I remember years ago that there was rule of this sort in effect but don't know if the NHL has changed their stance in the last decade or so.

I saw your question, so I'll answer it here - I haven't heard of that rule being changed in the past several years, but it seems like the league turns the other way when it comes to that air horn. They banned people from sneaking in octopi for Red Wings playoff games, they banned the plastic rats that Panthers fans used to throw on the ice, they won't even let you clap those "thunder sticks" during play...why don't they do something about that damn air horn? It's annoying as hell. I guess since the opposing players and owners haven't complained about it, they're just letting it go. Best thing to do is mute the sound whenever they play in Washington.

steelpride12
03-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks! :crying01:

Fire Haley
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Gonchar's shot on the PP makes all the difference. The Pens look like a real team again.

Good to see Sid get the glory in OT. I love it when they boo him.

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks! :crying01:

Sorry, but I always wonder who you're talking to in this thread - LOL! :hug:

Y'know, I respect AO as a player - damn he's good, but I am sick to death of his yapping and shit-stirring. If he played back in the good ol' days when hockey was a man's game, he would have lost ALL of his teeth. I have no doubt that if he'd have done that shit playing against Steve Durbano or Ulfie, they would have clocked him.

SteelCityMan786
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I saw your question, so I'll answer it here - I haven't heard of that rule being changed in the past several years, but it seems like the league turns the other way when it comes to that air horn. They banned people from sneaking in octopi for Red Wings playoff games, they banned the plastic rats that Panthers fans used to throw on the ice, they won't even let you clap those "thunder sticks" during play...why don't they do something about that damn air horn? It's annoying as hell. I guess since the opposing players and owners haven't complained about it, they're just letting it go. Best thing to do is mute the sound whenever they play in Washington.

Good chance these teams may meet 4-7 more times before the season is over to.

SteelCityMan786
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Y'know, I respect AO as a player - damn he's good, but I am sick to death of his yapping and shit-stirring. If he played back in the good ol' days when hockey was a man's game, he would have lost ALL of his teeth. I have no doubt that if he'd have done that shit playing against Steve Durbano or Ulfie, they would have clocked him.

I'm sure back when Jagr was sane he'd probably give him hell. AO is a lot worse then Jagr ever was here.

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks XT - I didn't think the rule had changed. I guarantee you, though, if someone at Mellon Arena did that during a Pens/Caps game, they'd B & M about it. Damn, that airhorn is annoying and I'm shocked none of the coaches or players have complained about it.

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm sure back when Jagr was sane he'd probably give him hell. AO is a lot worse then Jagr ever was here.

Big difference, Matt, is that Jagr was a total puss and AO isn't. Jagr wouldn't hit anyone if life depended on it and would cower in a corner of the ice while AO is out there throwing his body around. I don't mind that at all - I respect his toughness, but he gets away with murder with that yap of his. I'd love to see Orpik knock him into the next week.

Did you see the post-game interview with Fleury? That guy is a riot. He was asked if there was any conversation between him and AO when AO was bearing down on him during the shootout and Fleury said (in that uncanny French Canadian accent of his) - "I asked him how he was doing". :laughing::toofunny::applaudit:

SteelCityMan786
03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Big difference, Matt, is that Jagr was a total puss and AO isn't. Jagr wouldn't hit anyone if life depended on it and would cower in a corner of the ice while AO is out there throwing his body around. I don't mind that at all - I respect his toughness, but he gets away with murder with that yap of his. I'd love to see Orpik knock him into the next week.

Did you see the post-game interview with Fleury? That guy is a riot. He was asked if there was any conversation between him and AO when AO was bearing down on him during the shootout and Fleury said (in that uncanny French Canadian accent of his) - "I asked him how he was doing". :laughing::toofunny::applaudit:

I didn't. I'll have to watch the Nightly Sports Call. Unless someone recorded it and put it on Youtube.

True, but I think maybe someone like Laraque would do some damage to him to.

X-Terminator
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah, there's no way in hell AO gets away with his crap back in the 70s and 80s. I can't help but see a guy like Dave Schultz or Tiger Williams chopping him off at the knees, then punching him in the mouth for good measure. You just didn't do that back then, especially if you were a European player since they weren't very well accepted.

Thanks XT - I didn't think the rule had changed. I guarantee you, though, if someone at Mellon Arena did that during a Pens/Caps game, they'd B & M about it. Damn, that airhorn is annoying and I'm shocked none of the coaches or players have complained about it.

God forbid they criticize the House of Ovechkin :coffee: But seriously though, I remember that damn thing back in the late 90s when the Pens were owning them in the playoffs - that HAS to be distracting to the players and coaches. I can't see how it wouldn't be. If someone brought one into Mellon Arena, they'd probably get it shoved up their ass by one of their own fans!

pittsburghp8baller
03-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Marc Andre cracks me up, i live in VA so i had to watch the Capitals broadcast so i missed the interview. i saw the inside penguins hockey of him playing rock band with those kids, i laughed so hard

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
5 wins in a row and they're still in 9th place.

Gotta beat Florida on Tuesday, we're running out of games.

The Pens are 7-2-1 since Gonchar returned.
5-0 since the acquisition of Chris Kunitz.
And the positive impact of removing Whitney from the lineup

X-Terminator
03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
5 wins in a row and they're still in 9th place.

Gotta beat Florida on Tuesday, we're running out of games.

The Pens are 7-2-1 since Gonchar returned.
5-0 since the acquisition of Chris Kunitz.
And the positive impact of removing Whitney from the lineup

They're 8th, not 9th. The problem isn't that they're running out of games, it's that the other teams they're competing with aren't losing either. Plus, they have just one game remaining against the Rangers, Canes, Habs and Flyers, 2 left against Florida including tomorrow night and they finished with the Sabres back in December. They have to keep winning and get some help from other teams. We actually have to root for the Rags tonight against Carolina...ugh.

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Oops - yep - forgot to add the extra point and the win - make that 6 in a row.

Good news is the team looks hot. They might burn out early, but at least there's a chance for the playoffs now.

One win and 3 losses by other teams out of 5th.:tt02:

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
My top reasons for Penguins' turnaround

Monday, March 9, 2009 | E.J. Hradek

There's some bad news for the playoff contenders in the East. The defending conference champion Pittsburgh Penguins have found their way, winning six straight games, including all five on their just completed road swing. And it gets worse; the Pens will play nine of their next 10 games at home.

With that kind of schedule, the Penguins still can play themselves into a No. 4 seed and home-ice advantage in the first round.

I see a couple of obvious reasons for the club's turnaround.

For me, the biggest reason is the return of top defenseman Sergei Gonchar, who missed the first 56 games after having preseason shoulder surgery. Gonchar is a vital cog and his return puts the other Penguins defensemen in their proper slots in the lineup. The Russian-born veteran is a legit No. 1 defenseman. Those kinds of players are hard to find and impossible to replace.

Now that he's back on the ice, Gonchar is skating the puck out of trouble in the defensive zone, making that important first pass to start the attack, working against the opposition's top offensive players, quarterbacking the power play, killing penalties, using his experience to break up plays around the net and on the ice in the first and last minute of a period and all important situations. He's also making mega-stars like Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby (as well as everyone else on the roster) better just by his presence. That's a lot of good things, right?

Gonchar's return also has allowed interim coach Dan Bylsma to feel comfortable asking his team to push the pace. Former coach Michel Therrien worked without Gonchar for all but one game and opted for a much more conservative approach. He likely believed it was his only chance to win. Those Penguins weren't attacking. They were sitting back in the neutral zone. That was probably good news for opponents. Who wants to see Crosby and Malkin constantly buzzing around their net? When you have players like those two guys, you have to be an attacking team. It's hard to attack when you're stuck in your own end.

The additions of Chris Kunitz and Bill Guerin have been big, too. They made perfect sense for the Pens. The club clearly needed an upgrade on the wing after the offseason departures of Marian Hossa and Ryan Malone. GM Ray Shero knew it. He would have liked to better address it before the season, but the moves just weren't there. When the right opportunities presented themselves, he acted. Kunitz and Guerin aren't Hossa and Malone, but they're definitely an improvement to the lineup. And, again, they push down some other wingers to where they can be more effective in the lineup, as role players. That's important. Let's face it -- you really can't expect Matt Cooke to suddenly be a scoring winger.

The Penguins also are benefitting from improved goaltending. Marc-Andre Fleury has been much better during the last month. Playing behind a lesser roster in the first half of the season, Fleury was much too inconsistent. He also missed time due to injury. That didn't help. Now, Fleury has been coming up with the big stops when his team needs them. He might have been the difference in the club's 4-3 shootout win in Washington on Sunday afternoon.

Finally, the coaching change seems to have had the desired effect. Personally, I think that Therrien could have succeeded with the current roster, but I'm not in that dressing room day after day. Maybe, despite Therrien's success, it was time for a new voice. Bylsma seems to bring a more upbeat style. Through his first 10 games (8-1-1), his approach is working.

Right now, if the playoffs started today, the Penguins would be matched against the Eastern Conference-leading Bruins. Based on what I've seen in the past 10 days, that wouldn't be good news for Boston. I have a feeling the Penguins are going to be a little better than eighth when the regular season ends April 12.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=hradek_ej

OneForTheToe
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
That article is spot on. Yesterday's game was the first Pen's game that I had a lump in my throat since the finals last year. It just seemed so important that they prove they can beat "O" and the Caps this year.

X-Terminator
03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
God, the Rangers friggin BLOW. Lost 3-0 to the Canes tonight, so they move into 6th place. But since the Pens have 1 more win than the dirty Rags in the same number of games played, they are still the 8th seed and the Rags are 9th. They still HAVE to win tomorrow night, but you know what can happen in that first game back home after a long road trip...

HometownGal
03-09-2009, 10:32 PM
God, the Rangers friggin BLOW. Lost 3-0 to the Canes tonight, so they move into 6th place. But since the Pens have 1 more win than the dirty Rags in the same number of games played, they are still the 8th seed and the Rags are 9th. They still HAVE to win tomorrow night, but you know what can happen in that first game back home after a long road trip...

Ssssssshhhhhhhhh.

Remind me to kick you square in your ass the next time I see you. :buttkick:

POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!!!

stlrtruck
03-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Ssssssshhhhhhhhh.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!!!

Isn't it time to start the 4:15pm thread in here now? I'm sure everyone remembers:

Must whine, can no lose anymore games!!

I'm jus sayin' :drink:

GO PENS!!!

X-Terminator
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Ssssssshhhhhhhhh.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!!!

Hey, I was just sayin'... :flap:

Anyway, no Nathan Horton or Bryan McCabe tonight for the Panthers, which is a break for the Pens. McCabe's loss will definitely be felt on their PP, which isn't all that great to begin with. Pens will likely be getting Petr Sykora back, so that is some good news and should help our own PP against the Panthers' below-average PK.

BIG, BIG game...

In other news...the Habs pulled a Lou Lamierello and fired HC Guy Carbonneau yesterday. GM Bob Gainey will take over behind the bench. Word is that Gainey's hand was forced by the team's owners to do something to get the team going since he did absolutely nothing to improve the team at the trade deadline, or else he would be fired. So to cover his own ass and save his job, he axes Carbo. And we thought the way Therrien was fired was shitty?

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
In other news...the Habs pulled a Lou Lamierello and fired HC Guy Carbonneau yesterday. GM Bob Gainey will take over behind the bench. Word is that Gainey's hand was forced by the team's owners to do something to get the team going since he did absolutely nothing to improve the team at the trade deadline, or else he would be fired. So to cover his own ass and save his job, he axes Carbo. And we thought the way Therrien was fired was shitty?

I still think it was shitty and I believe Shero did it to save his own rump for spending so much valuable time in the offseason trying to sign Pinocchio Hossa instead of utilizing that time to keep players that were key pieces of the puzzle, i.e. Malone, Ruutu, Roberts, etc.

Sucks about Carbonneau. I can't stomach the Habs and Gainey had better pray hard that he has the "magic touch" to turn 'em around. Somehow, though, I doubt it.

X-Terminator
03-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I still think it was shitty and I believe Shero did it to save his own rump for spending so much valuable time in the offseason trying to sign Pinocchio Hossa instead of utilizing that time to keep players that were key pieces of the puzzle, i.e. Malone, Ruutu, Roberts, etc.

Sucks about Carbonneau. I can't stomach the Habs and Gainey had better pray hard that he has the "magic touch" to turn 'em around. Somehow, though, I doubt it.

Really, the only difference between the two situations is that Gainey is probably going to get fired anyway. Shero would have kept his job regardless. The Habs' season is almost a mirror image of the Pens' season - started off hot, got bit by the injury bug big time, then struggled mightily to the point where they're barely staying in the playoff race. But it's never the players, it's always the HC who takes the fall, because it's the easiest decision a GM can make when his own neck is on the line.

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
If Therrien wasn't fired, the Pens would be out of the playoff hunt by now.

No doubt the fresh blood jacked up the players to play harder.

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Pens are down 3-1 coming up on the 3rd. Vokoun is like a freakin' brick wall tonight. :banging: Lots of time left for them to turn this game around, but they've got to take advantage of the PP - they're 0-3 tonight.

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
WOO HOOOOO!!!!! Jordan Staal scores to make it 3-2 at the start of the 3rd. :banana:

Keep it going guys!

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
OMG!!!!!! 4 on 2, Guerin and Kunitz on the set-up and Sid the Kid puts it in the net to tie it up at 3-3!!! What a performance! :banana:

SteelCityMan786
03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
4:35 3rd Period-Edmonton 3, Montreal 3

Makes getting the 2nd Point that much sweeter.

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
PENS WIN IN SHOOTOUT on goals by Letang and Geno!!! What a terrific game by our boyz!!! We'll take the 2 points, thank you very much! :drink:

SteelCityMan786
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
PENS WIN IN SHOOTOUT on goals by Letang and Geno!!! What a terrific game by our boyz!!! We'll take the 2 points, thank you very much! :drink:

High Ho, High Ho, It's Off to Columbus they go!

X-Terminator
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but the Oilers suck too - Montreal came back and won in OT, so the best the Pens could do is 6th place after the win tonight. Thanks Edmonton! :doh:

I didn't get to watch the game (yet - recorded it) but did watch the shootout. I think Vokoun is still looking for his jockstrap after that move Malkin put on him - LOL! Am I hearing this correct - the Pens had 50 shots on goal tonight? 50???? Unbelievable. And to think that 3 weeks ago, we'd have been happy to get 25. Got to give Vokoun props for keeping the Panthers in the game despite being under siege all night.

BIG 2 points!

Edman
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Pens do it again! No quit in these guys no matter what.

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but the Oilers suck too - Montreal came back and won in OT, so the best the Pens could do is 6th place after the win tonight. Thanks Edmonton! :doh:

I didn't get to watch the game (yet - recorded it) but did watch the shootout. I think Vokoun is still looking for his jockstrap after that move Malkin put on him - LOL! Am I hearing this correct - the Pens had 50 shots on goal tonight? 50???? Unbelievable. And to think that 3 weeks ago, we'd have been happy to get 25. Got to give Vokoun props for keeping the Panthers in the game despite being under siege all night.

BIG 2 points!

Then stop being Debbie Downer. :doh: If the season ended tonight and we finished 6th in the playoff seeding, I'd be happy with that considering how dire things looked just a few weeks ago.

Yep - Pens had 50 SOG and personally, I think Volkoun was just out of gas in the shootout, though Letang and Malkin faked him out pretty good. Gotta give credit where credit is due - he played one helluva game even though he got the L.

ON TO COLUMBUS! :applaudit::hatsoff:

OneForTheToe
03-11-2009, 12:45 AM
http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/debbie-downer-lottery.jpg
:wink02:

At this point I still won't bitch about 8th place. Besides, I don't see the butt-Rangers ending their skid any time soon which is helpful. That was a good performence for a team coming off a long road trip, let alone one that ended with an emotional win. I was relating that point about how hard it is to get-up for a home game after a long road trip to one of those "bar experts" tonight, when he asked me where I got my knowledge because he had never heard such a theory. Just then, the broadcast team made the same observation. I just turned and smiled a little. Those "bar experts" really get on my nerves .... well, unless they are I.:wink02:

X-Terminator
03-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Then stop being Debbie Downer. :doh: If the season ended tonight and we finished 6th in the playoff seeding, I'd be happy with that considering how dire things looked just a few weeks ago.

Yep - Pens had 50 SOG and personally, I think Volkoun was just out of gas in the shootout, though Letang and Malkin faked him out pretty good. Gotta give credit where credit is due - he played one helluva game even though he got the L.

ON TO COLUMBUS! :applaudit::hatsoff:

Yes, but 5th would have been better. You always want the higher seeding. Having said that, they're still just 4 points behind the Flyers for 4th, and you know they are feeling the heat just a little bit.

97 shots in 2 games against the Panthers, and Vokoun allowed just 7 goals. That's not too bad. This guy has a history of stoning the Pens going back to his Nashville days. But yeah, he got worn down last night facing shot after shot, and if anything is going to keep the Panthers out of the postseason, it might be the fact that they allow more shots per game than any team in the league. The goalies can't be expected to bail them out every night when he has to face 35 shots a game.

Speaking of tiring, isn't it about time Fleury got a break? He's started 16 straight games! They're going to wear him down before they even get to the playoffs.

Fire Haley
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
"I score...I score"

Check out this post-game Malkin interview....his mom and dad were there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65tgFKqzr4&eurl=http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=617823&page=37&feature=player_embedded

rbryan
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I have to admit I didn't give the Pens much of a chance two weeks ago but now I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to "must win and lose no more games" this year.....lol

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Pens in 6th spot - Rangers drop to #9.

How sweet it is.

KeiselPower99
03-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Well yall Im off to Columbus to see the Pens and Jackets tonight.

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Awesome.

Don't jinx us!

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Pens down 3-0 to Columbus in the third period.

Blue Jackets surrendering nothing.

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Pens on the board thanks to Kunitz. 3-1 Jackets.

HometownGal
03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Dupuis puts one in the net. 3-2 Jackets with a TON of time left! :banana:

What a 3rd period thus far!

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
DEFLECTION BY DUPUIS! 3-2 Jackets.

Penguins right back in it!

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
TIE GAME!!!!!!

Talbot with the GOAL!

What a game!

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:24 PM
this has been one HELL OF A GAME

HometownGal
03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
this has been one HELL OF A GAME

Most definitely! :drink: The Pens are buzzin' around the BJ's net like a swarm of bees in this 3rd period! I'm lovin' it! :applaudit:

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Pens have really brought out the heat this period!

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Most definitely! :drink: The Pens are buzzin' around the BJ's net like a swarm of bees in this 3rd period! I'm lovin' it! :applaudit:

its crazy how things have changed, the roles were reversed for most of the first two periods, and now we are outshooting them like 15+ to 3 in the third

HometownGal
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
We're going to OT folks! I love the Pens chances here. :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
well we get at least a point out of this. Fleury came up HUGE when we needed him the most.

score update- Islanders lead the Canadiens 2-1 with 14+ left in the third. a Pens win and MTL loss we jump over them

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:40 PM
WOW, Kunitz off the post then gets robbed with the glove of mason.

errery made a good point, how great would this be to see this 6 times a year? Columbus is def close enough to be in the same division. two times isnt enough, jus a great game

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Pens dominate the third period and overtime. But a great save by the BJ's goaltender saves Columbus.

We've got a shootout!

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Letang
Crosby
Malkin

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Fleury denies Williams.

Letang's turn.

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
another save by fleury

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Letang Denied.

Nash Denied.

Crosby's turn!

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
come on Geno, keep it going

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Husellius Scores.

It's all on Malkin.

Edman
03-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Crap.

We get a point, though. Good game Penguins! Way to hang in there.

pittsburghp8baller
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
well, all streaks must come to a end.

great game, one of the best ive been able to watch.

we still get a point out of it and if i still wouldnt bet against the Pens in any game/series. hopefully we come out firing against Ottawa

Score Alert- Montreal tied it and now only six minutes left

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
3 goals in 3 minutes is a pretty good way to salvage a point. Kunitz had the game off the post in OT - oh well.

I still don't know why they put Malkin in on the shoot-out, he just doesn't look interested.

X-Terminator
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow, last time I checked the score, it was 3-0 Jackets...I get home, and the Pens had tied the game and gone into OT. And I see that they outshot the Jackets 19-4 in the 3rd period - WOW! Oh well, you figure they were due to lose a game, but at least they were able to steal a point and will stay in 6th place no matter what happens the rest of the night.

Now, for the love of all that's sweet and good, can they PLEASE give MAF a break and start Garon on Saturday? 18 straight starts is enough!

X-Terminator
03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
3 goals in 3 minutes is a pretty good way to salvage a point. Kunitz had the game off the post in OT - oh well.

I still don't know why they put Malkin in on the shoot-out, he just doesn't look interested.

If Sykora was healthy, Malkin would not be in the top 3.

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
If Sykora was healthy, Malkin would not be in the top 3.

I know, I know, I shouldn't complain - we got the point, but is it too much to ask for Malkin to at least look like he.......eh nevermind.

Florida lost, Montreal lost, Carolina's losing 3-1 after 2.....it's a good night.

HometownGal
03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Never count these Pens out - they played their hearts out in the 3rd and OT. Mason is a big guy and held strong in the SO. Fleury played one helluva game again tonight and though realistically he needs a break, nothing like riding the hot netminder. I'll take the point - we're still in the race and dag nabbit - I think we're going to get there. :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
That was one helluva game. Glad to see the Pens came back in the third to tie it. Nice crowd there tonight. I ran into a guy wearing a Steelers hoodie in the pisser. Great game to bd we couldnt pull it out.

X-Terminator
03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
I know, I know, I shouldn't complain - we got the point, but is it too much to ask for Malkin to at least look like he.......eh nevermind.

Florida lost, Montreal lost, Carolina's losing 3-1 after 2.....it's a good night.

I think Malkin's problem is that he thinks too much about what he wants to do, and then he just flubs it. You see he scores more often on breakaways during regulation play, because he doesn't think - he just shoots. If he just relied on his instincts and talent, he'd be much better, because as we saw against the Panthers on Tuesday, he has the ability to make a goalie look really bad.

Never count these Pens out - they played their hearts out in the 3rd and OT. Mason is a big guy and held strong in the SO. Fleury played one helluva game again tonight and though realistically he needs a break, nothing like riding the hot netminder. I'll take the point - we're still in the race and dag nabbit - I think we're going to get there. :thumbsup:

Steve Mason is going to be rookie of the year, and may even win the Vezina Trophy on top of it. He has been lights-out, and is the reason why the Jackets have a very good chance to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. He leads the league with 9 shutouts as a rookie goalie - not too shabby. As for Fleury, I think I'll scream if I see him in goal on Saturday. Yes, you want to ride the hot goalie, but you can't wear him down either, especially when the playoffs are a month away. He has to be given a break every now and then to keep him as fresh as possible.

I'll definitely take the point - every one of them counts this time of the year. Unless they completely shit the bed during this 8-game homestand, I think they will get in the playoffs. I'm certainly not guaranteeing anything, though.

pittsburghp8baller
03-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I think Malkin's problem is that he thinks too much about what he wants to do, and then he just flubs it. You see he scores more often on breakaways during regulation play, because he doesn't think - he just shoots. If he just relied on his instincts and talent, he'd be much better, because as we saw against the Panthers on Tuesday, he has the ability to make a goalie look really bad.

Steve Mason is going to be rookie of the year, and may even win the Vezina Trophy on top of it. He has been lights-out, and is the reason why the Jackets have a very good chance to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. He leads the league with 9 shutouts as a rookie goalie - not too shabby. As for Fleury, I think I'll scream if I see him in goal on Saturday. Yes, you want to ride the hot goalie, but you can't wear him down either, especially when the playoffs are a month away. He has to be given a break every now and then to keep him as fresh as possible.

I'll definitely take the point - every one of them counts this time of the year. Unless they completely shit the bed during this 8-game homestand, I think they will get in the playoffs. I'm certainly not guaranteeing anything, though.

i think next time Malkin needs to just wind up and rip one like he did on Biron in the playoffs last year, he has a cannon he should use it. i was surprised Sid and Geno shoot and not deke, Mason is a big goalie and likes to come out of the net in the shootout so there isnt really a lot of shooting room, unless u can beat him 5 hole before he gets down- which i think Malkin may have tried.

About Mason, give him the ROY, Vezina for sure. ive heard some say that he needs to get at least some MVP consideration

Garon vs Ottawa so then Fleury can face the Bruins

HometownGal
03-13-2009, 09:32 AM

After watching Mason last night, I agree - he most definitely should win the Vezina. He didn't have a great third period, but when the going got tough, he stood strong in OT and the SO.

I see your point about Fleury, but we need every point we can muster down the stretch, as the race for playoff spots is very, VERY tight, though the Pens are the hottest team right now in the pack. The Panthers and Sabres can't be counted out yet either.

DIV GP W L OT Pts
1 Boston Bruins NE 69 44 16 9 97
2 New Jersey Devils ATL 67 44 20 3 91
3 Washington Capitals SE 69 42 21 6 90
4 Philadelphia Flyers ATL 66 36 20 10 82
5 Montréal Canadiens NE 68 36 24 8 80
6 Pittsburgh Penguins ATL 69 36 26 7 79
7 New York Rangers ATL 68 35 25 8 78
8 Carolina Hurricanes SE 70 36 28 6 78
9 Florida Panthers SE 68 34 25 9 77
10 Buffalo Sabres NE 68 34 27 7 75

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM
13 games left....

Here's the schedule for the rest of the month.

All 7 games at home....Boston, Philly, Calgary, Rangers - the big ones.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/schedule/?hubname=nhl-penguins

Then April - all biggies - Debbils, Carolina, Habs, Florida

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/schedule/?date=4/1/2009&hubname=nhl-penguins

It's going to go down to the wire.

HometownGal
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
13 games left....

It's gonna be brutal with that schedule, but I think the boyz are up for the challenge. :hope:

SteelCityMan786
03-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Where were you on this day 2 years ago?

4jmpNit-eOs

On the 12th Night of March in the year of 2007, the Pittsburgh Penguins, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania government, Allegheny County, and City of Pittsburgh officials announced they have reached a deal.

This was the day that made us all want to cheer Badger Bob's famous line.

IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY

X-Terminator
03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
13 games left....

I'd say they'd need at least 18 of 26 points to get in - that'd put them at 97 points, which should be more than enough. Needless to say, this upcoming homestand is the biggest of the season.

X-Terminator
03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Where were you on this day 2 years ago?

4jmpNit-eOs

On the 12th Night of March in the year of 2007, the Pittsburgh Penguins, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania government, Allegheny County, and City of Pittsburgh officials announced they have reached a deal.

This was the day that made us all want to cheer Badger Bob's famous line.

IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY

I was at home, watching the game on TV and wishing I could be there. And now, whenever I go past the new building and see all of that steel going up...I'll miss Mellon, but man, I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Fire Haley
03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Back to back afternoon games today and tomorrow.

Can't afford to stumble now.

The Duke
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
edit- wrong thread

but hey, should be a good game today :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Back to back afternoon games today and tomorrow.

Can't afford to stumble now.

3 Out of 4 at worst is the goal.

X-Terminator
03-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry, but it has to be said: absolutely inexcusable loss today. They took their foot off the gas pedal in the 3rd period, and it cost them. Where was the effort they had the other night? Where was the aggressiveness? There was none throughout that entire period. And if they had a damn power play, they'd have put the game away early, but as has been the case all year, it was just AWFUL today. Gonchar's return hasn't made a lick of difference, unfortunately, when you look at the results - in fact, the PP has gotten worse, as amazing as it sounds. Mike Yeo's ass should have been out the door with Therrien - this is HIS unit that keeps shitting the bed night after night. I don't care if they got a point, there was absolutely no reason in the world for them to lose this game.

EDIT: This means that the Pens have lost 3 games each to the Sens and Leafs, who both SUCK and are teams they should beat. If the Pens end up not making the playoffs, those 6 losses will be a BIG reason why.

Fire Haley
03-14-2009, 05:39 PM
They just didn't have it today. plenty of chances, nothing going in. They looked out of gas.

At least Fleury saved the point by standing on his head the whole game.

X-Terminator
03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
They just didn't have it today. plenty of chances, nothing going in. They looked out of gas.

At least Fleury saved the point by standing on his head the whole game.

Yes, no question - when the rest of the team decided to stop playing for him, he was outstanding. The goals in the shootout were just nice plays by Alfredsson and Comrie. He deserved better. The rest of the team, however, deserves a tongue-lashing after that egg they laid in the 3rd. When you're fighting for a playoff spot and there's just 13 games left, you CANNOT take even a period off. You can say they looked "out of gas," it's still no excuse. You have to beat the teams below you in the standings, plain and simple. The ONLY silver lining in this mess is that no matter what happens the rest of the night, the Pens will stay in 6th place.

HometownGal
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Gonchar's return hasn't made a lick of difference, unfortunately, when you look at the results - in fact, the PP has gotten worse, as amazing as it sounds.

I don't know what games you've been watching, but I vehemently disagree. :nono: Though Sarge is my favorite Pen, I'm not being biased here when I say that he is a HUGE reason why they have been on this point streak, even though the PP hasn't been up to snuff. The guy is a Top 5 Dman in this league and has played his ass off both offensively and defensively after being out the majority of the season after having shoulder surgery. After he took Heatley's stick in the chops in the 3rd, he didn't play as well as he did the other two periods, but c'mon - the guy has 9 points and 40 SOG in 13 games since he's been back! :doh: Are you blind???

Just checked the games in progress . . .

Devils 2
Habs 1 coming down to the end of the 1st

Caps 2
Canes 1 coming down to the end of the 1st

Panthers 1
Lightning 0 coming down to the end of the 1st

As you said above, we'll remain in 6th place no matter what and though the Pens blew that 3-1 lead in the 3rd by dogging it thinking they had the W in hand, I'm glad they got that point. They're still the hottest tamale in the league right now.

Tough game tomorrow against the Bruins and I hope they get plenty of rest tonight - they're going to need it.

Let's get behind 'em instead of nitpicking, shall we? LETS GO PENS! :drink:

X-Terminator
03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't know what games you've been watching, but I vehemently disagree. :nono: Though Sarge is my favorite Pen, I'm not being biased here when I say that he is a HUGE reason why they have been on this point streak, even though the PP hasn't been up to snuff. The guy is a Top 5 Dman in this league and has played his ass off both offensively and defensively after being out the majority of the season after having shoulder surgery. After he took Heatley's stick in the chops in the 3rd, he didn't play as well as he did the other two periods, but c'mon - the guy has 9 points and 40 SOG in 13 games since he's been back! :doh: Are you blind???

Just checked the games in progress . . .

Devils 2
Habs 1 coming down to the end of the 1st

Caps 2
Canes 1 coming down to the end of the 1st

Panthers 1
Lightning 0 coming down to the end of the 1st

As you said above, we'll remain in 6th place no matter what and though the Pens blew that 3-1 lead in the 3rd by dogging it thinking they had the W in hand, I'm glad they got that point. They're still the hottest tamale in the league right now.

Tough game tomorrow against the Bruins and I hope they get plenty of rest tonight - they're going to need it.

Let's get behind 'em instead of nitpicking, shall we? LETS GO PENS! :drink:

I should have prefaced that by saying that it isn't Gonchar's fault the PP is coming up empty, because it's not. Mike Yeo is the reason why the PP is struggling, mainly because of his unbelievable stubbornness when it comes to putting Crosby and Malkin on the same side of the ice instead of moving them around, and putting someone in front of the net at ALL TIMES. Both Kunitz and Guerin have no problem at all standing in front of the goalie, but every time I look up, they're in the high slot. WHY? He will not change things up, and that is the thing that frustrates me the most. With the talent they have out there, there is no reason why the PP continues to struggle. All they needed was ONE PPG today, and they win the game. Sorry to nitpick, but when you're playing a team at home that's going to get a lottery pick this summer, in the middle of a battle for a playoff berth, these are games you absolutely HAVE to win.

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Devils 2
Habs 1 6:22 2nd

Caps 4
Canes 2 4:32 2nd

Panthers 2
Lightning 1 1:39 1st

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Updated

Devils 3
Habs 1 FINAL

Caps 4
Canes 4 OT

Panthers 3
Lightning 3 OT

pittsburghp8baller
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Updated

Devils 3
Habs 1 FINAL

Caps 4
Canes 4 OT

Panthers 3
Lightning 3 OT

i watched that game,

congrats on Marty Brodeur on win #551 to tie Patrick Roy for the most wins all-time, Brodeur goes for the record on tuesday

X-Terminator
03-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Habs, Canes, Sabres all lose. Still waiting on the TB/FLA final.

EDIT: Florida loses, so there is no change in the standings. None of the teams fighting for those last 3 spots helped themselves at all today. The Pens, Sabres and Panthers all blew 3-1 leads in the 3rd period at home.

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Habs, Canes, Sabres all lose. Still waiting on the TB/FLA final.

EDIT: Florida loses, so there is no change in the standings. None of the teams fighting for those last 3 spots helped themselves at all today. The Pens, Sabres and Panthers all blew 3-1 leads in the 3rd period at home.

This must be the day to blow leads.

X-Terminator
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Actually there was a change in the standings - the Canes moved ahead of the Rangers by picking up that point. Completely forgot about the Rags losing today as well.

So the standings as of right now look like this:

5. Habs 80pts 13 games remaining
6. Pens 80pts 12 games remaining
7. Canes 79pts 11 games remaining
8. Rags 78pts 13 games remaining
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Panthers 77pts 14 games remaining
10. Sabres 76pts 13 games remaining

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Tomorrow's Schedule

Philadelphia @ NY Rangers
Boston @ Pittsburgh

X-Terminator
03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Tomorrow's Schedule

Philadelphia @ NY Rangers
Boston @ Pittsburgh

That means we'll have to root for the thugs in prison orange and black.

I feel dirty and need to scrub myself clean with a wire brush.

SteelCityMan786
03-14-2009, 10:34 PM
That means we'll have to root for the thugs in prison orange and black.

I feel dirty and need to scrub myself clean with a wire brush.

Yeah, that's unfortunate.

As for the rest of the week

Monday
Washington @ Atlanta

Tuesday
NY Rangers @ Montreal
Buffalo @ Ottawa
Atlanta @ Pittsburgh
Washington @ Florida
Philadelphia @ Detroit

Wednesday
New Jersey @ Carolina

Thursday
Montreal @ Ottawa
Washington @ Tampa Bay
Toronto @ Florida

Friday
NY Islanders @ Carolina
Philadelphia @ Buffalo
Los Angeles @ Pittsburgh

Saturday
Toronto @ Montreal
NY Islanders @ Ottawa
Buffalo @ NY Rangers
Washington @ Carolina
Columbus @ Florida

Interesting Week Ahead.

OneForTheToe
03-14-2009, 10:59 PM
The only way I can describe today's game - YUCK. The game shoulda, coulda, wouda,. been over if you can score one lousy goal on a three minute power play, against a tired team with little to play for. :banging:

I look at the schedule above, one thing I don't see is many points for the Rangers, who aren't playing very well anyhow.

I could exhale a bit tomorrow woth two points.:thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
03-15-2009, 12:06 AM
The only way I can describe today's game - YUCK. The game shoulda, coulda, wouda,. been over if you can score one lousy goal on a three minute power play, against a tired team with little to play for. :banging:

I look at the schedule above, one thing I don't see is many points for the Rangers, who aren't playing very well anyhow.

I could exhale a bit tomorrow woth two points.:thumbsup:

The goal in my opinion is to get 3 out of 4 this weekend, and now with the SO loss, it makes tomorrow a must win.

Fire Haley
03-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Losses schmosses.

12 games left - they are all "must win points", and hope the competition doesn't gain any.

It's all about the points.

pittsburghp8baller
03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Rangers are less than a minute from winning

SteelCityMan786
03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
2-2 End of 1.

Fire Haley
03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
3-2 after two.

Gonchar and Malkin manage to give up a short-handed goal. Can you get any sloppier than that?

Fire Haley
03-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Make that 4-3 Pens....2 goals in the first minute of the 3rd by Kunitz......he gets a Hat Trick!!!

SteelCityMan786
03-15-2009, 04:34 PM
6-4 Penguins.

Fire Haley
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Great , great game!

Staal gets the empty-netter.

Movin' on up. Past the Habs into 5th.

HometownGal
03-15-2009, 05:24 PM
XT and I were at the game and we saw a beauty! :applaudit: Kunitz was just incredible with that HT and we won despite the bad goaltending by Garon. XT and I were both absolutely shocked that they went with Garon even though Fleury has played 18 straight - we thought for sure they would rest Fleury and play Garon on Tuesday against the Thrashers. I know the kid hasn't played in quite a while, but c'mon - use thy noggin Bylsma - ya don't put in your backup against a team like the Bruins! :doh: Thank God we have the goal scorers we do and our D played an outstanding game overall! :tt03::hatsoff:

Geno was held without a point. I'd love to see him win the Art Ross but he's going to have to get movin' with the scoring - AO is closing in on him. I have every confidence the kid will cross the finish line before Alexander the Ogre.

Our next victim - the Thrashers on Tuesday night. LETS GO PENS! :hatsoff:

X-Terminator
03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
BTW, no hat trick for Kunitz - they changed the scoring on what would have been his 2nd goal and gave it to Gonchar. So all those people threw their hats on the ice for nothing :laughing:

SteelCityMan786
03-15-2009, 06:27 PM
BTW, no hat trick for Kunitz - they changed the scoring on what would have been his 2nd goal and gave it to Gonchar. So all those people threw their hats on the ice for nothing :laughing:

They'll probably be flipping you the bird now. :sofunny:

HometownGal
03-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Though I would have loved to have seen Kunitz get that HT, he's been simply amazing since he came to the Burgh - definitely a keeper! :hatsoff:

You know I'll be happy with my Sarge getting the goal, Eric. Remember me telling you at the game that I smelled a Gonchar goal? :chuckle: :applaudit:

P.S. GO BEANTOWN!!! :laughing: :rofl: :wink:

X-Terminator
03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Though I would have loved to have seen Kunitz get that HT, he's been simply amazing since he came to the Burgh - definitely a keeper! :hatsoff:

You know I'll be happy with my Sarge getting the goal, Eric. Remember me telling you at the game that I smelled a Gonchar goal? :chuckle: :applaudit:

P.S. GO BEANTOWN!!! :laughing: :rofl: :wink:

:rofl::laughing: Oh, it felt SO good letting that guy have it when the Pens iced the game!

Kunitz has been everything I could have hoped for when he was brought in - works hard, plays with plenty of grit and has displayed a nice scoring touch. He, Crosby and Guerin are the perfect linemates, and they are going to put up some nice numbers as a unit.

Yes, you predicted Gonchar would score, and your prediction was spot on, upon further review! :chuckle::thumbsup: It looked to me on the replay on the Jumbotron that Kunitz touched it, but I saw another replay, and it actually went off a Bruin defenseman. Too bad for Kunitz, but hey, it counts just the same!

OneForTheToe
03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Like I said the Rangers are done .:doh:.. oh ... k well, their done starting now.

Great game. Although,after that short handed goal, I was looking for someone to cross-check. :banging:

Gonchar was great as usual, but I have one little complaint regarding Sarge. Against the Sens on Saturday he collected the puck behind our net and proceeded to backhand the puck along the boards. The Sens intercepted the the puck and it lead to one of their goals (not sure which one). He tried that same play today and as he moved the puck it was picked up by a Bruin and I thought for sure they were going to score. I'm not saying it is always a bad play, but I am starting to wonder if teams are seeing something on tape.

In anycase we won. See ya later Habs.

X-Terminator
03-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Like I said the Rangers are done .:doh:.. oh ... k well, their done starting now.

Great game. Although,after that short handed goal, I was looking for someone to cross-check. :banging:

Gonchar was great as usual, but I have one little complaint regarding Sarge. Against the Sens on Saturday he collected the puck behind our net and proceeded to backhand the puck along the boards. The Sens intercepted the the puck and it lead to one of their goals (not sure which one). He tried that same play today and as he moved the puck it was picked up by a Bruin and I thought for sure they were going to score. I'm not saying it is always a bad play, but I am starting to wonder if teams are seeing something on tape.

In anycase we won. See ya later Habs.

When he does that, he is expecting support from either his D partner or another forward to chip the puck along. It's called reversing the play. If there's no support, then the other team can read and intercept the puck. In the Ottawa game, that led in part to the Sens' 2nd goal because he was expecting Staal to go toward the boards to play the puck, but instead Staal initially skated toward the net, then turned toward the boards, and by then it was too late. Yesterday, I think he backhanded the puck expecting Malkin to swoop in behind him to pick it up, but instead Malkin skated toward him and tried to play the puck, leaving the 2 Bruins alone and the goal. So it was the right play in both instances, just miscommunication.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Crap. 0-1, less than a minute.

5 on 3. Go Pens.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Gonchar from the point.

Oh yeah.
1-1.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Staal - Malkin

4-1 Pens -

they on fire.

Fire Haley
03-17-2009, 08:18 PM
5-2 Pens.

Wow - I guess all the bandwagon ho's have left.

Edman
03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Boulton. Play with grace, you bum.

Thrashers getting chippy.

Edman
03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Penguins win 6-2!

Dead tie with Philly for 4th place!

X-Terminator
03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Penguins win 6-2!

Dead tie with Philly for 4th place!

Philthy is still ahead of the Pens despite having one fewer win because they have 3 games in hand.

pittsburghp8baller
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
good to see the Pens win, i missed the game. if i miss another and they win like this, i jus may record the games and come back and watch them!

X-Terminator
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
good to see the Pens win, i missed the game. if i miss another and they win like this, i jus may record the games and come back and watch them!

DVR is your friend! :wink02: They're replaying a condensed version at 11, so you'll be able to watch it if you're able to stay up late.

BTW, HTG and I had tickets to this game, but I wasn't able to go, so she took a friend of hers who hadn't been to a game in 30 years! Talk about going to the right game, getting to see a big Pens blowout win. I'm sure they both had a blast!

SteelCityMan786
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
DVR is your friend! :wink02: They're replaying a condensed version at 11, so you'll be able to watch it if you're able to stay up late.

BTW, HTG and I had tickets to this game, but I wasn't able to go, so she took a friend of hers who hadn't been to a game in 30 years! Talk about going to the right game, getting to see a big Pens blowout win. I'm sure they both had a blast!

I'm sure they did. I guess her friend will get to see a dose of what they have been missing.

OneForTheToe
03-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Ugh missed the game. Figures it would be one where they roll. I didn't even plan on missing it so I didn't set the DVR.:banging:

HometownGal
03-18-2009, 08:12 AM

What a WOW of a game by our Pens!!! :applaudit::hatsoff: This game had a mix of everything - good passing, good D, great scoring opportunities (the score should have been 8 or 9-2!) and the huge brawl with a little over 4 minutes left to play. Malkin and Gonchar were on fire - Geno had 2 goals and 3 assists and Sarge registered 1 goals and 3 assists. Three PPG's and the penalty killing continues to be excellent. I've been dogging on Eaton all season and he played very well again last night, both offensively and defensively. I almost felt a little sorry for Hedberg - he looked a little spooked out there at times. Overall, just a great performance by our Pens!

We did have a great time, Eric! Charlie was really into the game and screaming when that brawl broke out - LOL! Y'know we women pick our favorite Pens hotties and she "fell in love" with Hal Gill. :chuckle: With me, of course - Sarge is my #1 followed by Guerin, Gill and Talbot. :lust: She can't wait to go to another game! :drink:

pittsburghp8baller
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM

havent quite gotten up with the times and gotten DVR, still rely on the oldie VHS recording. i wasnt even at my house last night, so it didnt matter that it was on latter. they did show all of 15 seconds of highlights on ESPN today. im about to go over to the Pens website and watch the replay of all the goals

X-Terminator
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
What a WOW of a game by our Pens!!! :applaudit::hatsoff: This game had a mix of everything - good passing, good D, great scoring opportunities (the score should have been 8 or 9-2!) and the huge brawl with a little over 4 minutes left to play. Malkin and Gonchar were on fire - Geno had 2 goals and 3 assists and Sarge registered 1 goals and 3 assists. Three PPG's and the penalty killing continues to be excellent. I've been dogging on Eaton all season and he played very well again last night, both offensively and defensively. I almost felt a little sorry for Hedberg - he looked a little spooked out there at times. Overall, just a great performance by our Pens!

We did have a great time, Eric! Charlie was really into the game and screaming when that brawl broke out - LOL! Y'know we women pick our favorite Pens hotties and she "fell in love" with Hal Gill. :chuckle: With me, of course - Sarge is my #1 followed by Guerin, Gill and Talbot. :lust: She can't wait to go to another game! :drink:

Yeah, I'll get to see it when I get home tonight - I saw some highlights and they looked great! I think the coaching change and the aggressive system they play has really helped Eaton's game, and he's looked like the $2 million player Shero hoped for after giving him that new contract. Staal's game has picked up tremendously under Bylsma as well. And what can you say about Geno? The guy was bedridden all day Monday, then goes out and puts up 5 points last night. I think he's gotten a stranglehold on the Art Ross Trophy after that performance last night - I don't see either Sid or AO catching him now. Gonchar has been averaging nearly a point per game since his return (14 points in 15 games) - just imagine if we had him healthy for a full season. He has been great since he's been back and has definitely solidified the defense.

I'm glad you and Charlie had a great time, and that she was really into it! She got to see a little bit of everything - lots of goals, a brawl, fight and a win. Can't ask for more than that! Why don't you two go to the game next Saturday afternoon, since I can't go to that one either? If not, then next season for sure.

stlrtruck
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM

So in a few years I'll count on you to "not be able to make it" so I can take my Princess to a real game! :flap:

HometownGal
03-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I think the coaching change and the aggressive system they play has really helped Eaton's game, and he's looked like the $2 million player Shero hoped for after giving him that new contract.

Well - he definitely has upped his game late in the season, but I wouldn't go quite that far.

Most definitely Sarge coming back (even a little earlier than anticipated) has really contributed to the success of this team going down the stretch. Remember when he first came here from the Caps and the fans in attendance were actually booing him? :jawdrop: I am proud to have been most likely the first Pens fan in the arena to proudly sport a Gonchar jersey. If I remember correctly, I bought it during the first 2 weeks he was here. :thumbsup:

I'm glad you and Charlie had a great time, and that she was really into it! She got to see a little bit of everything - lots of goals, a brawl, fight and a win. Can't ask for more than that! Why don't you two go to the game next Saturday afternoon, since I can't go to that one either? If not, then next season for sure.

We did have a blast! I'm taking Angie to next week's game but if she can't make it, I'm going to take Charlie again as she hates the Rangers as much as we do - LOL!

X-Terminator
03-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Well - he definitely has upped his game late in the season, but I wouldn't go quite that far.

What I mean is that his current play is what Shero was expecting out of him for the entire season for the money he was given. Unfortunately, he ended up stealing a paycheck for 2/3 of the season and looked lost out there. If he'd played this way from day one, I'd have had no complaints other than giving him that much money coming off 2 injury-shortened seasons.

Most definitely Sarge coming back (even a little earlier than anticipated) has really contributed to the success of this team going down the stretch. Remember when he first came here from the Caps and the fans in attendance were actually booing him? :jawdrop: I am proud to have been most likely the first Pens fan in the arena to proudly sport a Gonchar jersey. If I remember correctly, I bought it during the first 2 weeks he was here. :thumbsup:

You were the first that I can remember sporting a Gonchar jersey - I didn't start seeing anyone else with them until halfway through his first season, when he started showing the ingrates who were booing him why the Pens signed him. He was getting booed regularly during his first 2 seasons here and heard some early last season too, if you recall. But when he got hurt in TC and the D struggled without him, those same ingrates finally realized how good and how important he is to the team, and couldn't wait until he came back. Now, you rarely hear anyone booing him.

We did have a blast! I'm taking Angie to next week's game but if she can't make it, I'm going to take Charlie again as she hates the Rangers as much as we do - LOL!

Sweet! I really wish I could go to that one, but there's just no way. The only Rangers game in our plan all season, and I can't make it. Urrrgh!

Fire Haley
03-20-2009, 07:58 PM
3-0 Pens.

Gonchar really does make this a different team.

They are hot, Sid and Malkin together...cool.

X-Terminator
03-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Pens win 4-1 last night setting up a showdown with Philthy tomorrow for the #4 seed. Should be a great game, and a physical one.

Fire Haley
03-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Flyers have 3 more games left to play than the Pens.

X-Terminator
03-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Flyers have 3 more games left to play than the Pens.

Yes they do, but they have to win those games or else it does them absolutely no good. The Pens really don't even have to win tomorrow so long as they get a point, because they've already won the season series with the Flyers. So if they end up tied with the same number of wins, the Pens would get the 4 seed.

Fire Haley
03-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes they do, but they have to win those games.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

The opportunity for extra points for them is there, that was my point.

X-Terminator
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious.

The opportunity for extra points for them is there, that was my point.

Yeah, which only re-affirms my point, that having games in hand only means something if you win them.

We can keep going round and round if you like.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 03:26 AM
One game at a time, starting with the Flyers.

Habs lose - Carolina and Rangers win.

The pressure is still on.

X-Terminator
03-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Need to get at least one point out of this game. A loss would really hurt with Carolina breathing down our necks.

Friggin Craps. For all the talk about how wonderful they are because of "Great 8," they sure do suck when it comes to beating lesser teams. We needed them to beat Carolina last night, and once again they couldn't get the job done. They're going to be one and done again in the playoffs this year.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 08:52 AM
If the Habs don't make the playoffs, I, for one, will be laughing.

X-Terminator
03-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Considering it's their 100th Anniversary season...yeah, that'd definitely be laugh-worthy!

X-Terminator
03-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Folks, you should never screw around in your own zone on a delayed penalty, because this is what can happen:

g27So1RuFWM

I was watching the game live, and I couldn't believe it. I'd never seen that before, ever. Embarrassing doesn't even come close to describing that.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
That was hilarious!!!

The Canucks will make the playoffs though.

OneForTheToe
03-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I was really wanted a V today over Philthy. Got to give philthy credit for the D they played (although not as much credit as NBC's announcers slurped on them). Still, if the Pens beat Biron once, on one of their many opportunities in the second period, I think this is a game we win by multiple goals. Biron made the stops when he had too. I'm not worried about playing this team in the playoffs, if it works out that way. I think we can beat them in a seven game series.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Too many missed opportunities.

Sid had a sure goal and flubbed it.

It was one of those days.

Edman
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Home ice is nice, but it's obvious we're going to draw Philly regardless of wether we won or not.

There's still a chance at #4, but this loss won't help.

X-Terminator
03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
It's their first regulation loss in exactly a month. They were due to lose a game, and all the loss does is make it a little tougher to catch the Flyers, but it certainly isn't impossible.

They're still sitting in 5th place and are still in decent shape at the end of the day.

I'm not worried.

HometownGal
03-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Too many missed opportunities.

Sid had a sure goal and flubbed it.

It was one of those days.

XT and I were at the game and yes, there were a couple of missed opportunities but Biron was like a stone wall in net today for the Flyers. He made a couple of awesome saves. The Pens didn't help matters any with all of the penalties they took, though a couple of them were :bs: calls.

(Unfortunately, though, no one made my day by plastering Hartnell's face into the boards)

As XT said - we're still sitting in 5th and along with bustin ass to win or at least get a point in each remaining game, we may need a little help from a couple of teams if we're going to have a shot at the 4th spot.

I wholeheartedly believe they can do it.

Fire Haley
03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Big week.

Only 2 games though. Wed and Sat.

Flames and Rangers.

X-Terminator
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
OK, here's the latest playoff scenario:

Boston has already clinched the NE division title.
New Jersey is in if Buffalo beats Florida in regulation tomorrow night.
Washington clinches the SE division title with a Carolina loss to Ottawa tomorrow night.

As for the Pens, if they win their next 3 games, Florida loses at least twice in regulation and the Sabres lose once in regulation or OT, they will clinch a playoff berth. But something tells me it'll come down to their last road trip of the season to CAR, FLA and TB for everything to be decided.

Fire Haley
03-25-2009, 05:06 AM
PLAYOFFS?!?!? Playoffs??????

Pens better hope they win their next game.

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 09:12 AM
PLAYOFFS?!?!? Playoffs??????

Pens better hope they win their next game.

Well . . . get the LETS GO PENS chant going! :banana: :thumbsup:

We're sitting in 6th place tied with the Rags who won last night and with the Canes' win on Monday night, they catapulted themselves into the 5 spot.. Now the Pens loss to the Flyers on Sunday afternoon becomes a little larger. We're definitely going to need some help here. I hope I have some fingernails left by the time the playoff spots are decided. :horror:

stlrtruck
03-25-2009, 09:26 AM

We're sitting in 6th place tied with the Rags who won last night and with the Canes' win on Monday night, they catapulted themselves into the 5 spot.. Now the Pens loss to the Flyers on Sunday afternoon becomes a little larger. We're definitely going to need some help here. I hope I have some fingernails left by the time the playoff spots are decided. :horror:

Must Whine...Can No Lose Any More Games!!!

(hey it worked for the Steel City once before) :thumbsup: :tt03:

X-Terminator
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM

First things first, the Pens need to take care of business against a tough Flames team tonight, but it would be nice if they got a little help from Ottawa and Buffalo. Things are topsy-turvy, but I still strongly feel that in the end, the Pens will be in the field of 8.

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
First things first, the Pens need to take care of business against a tough Flames team tonight, but it would be nice if they got a little help from Ottawa and Buffalo. Things are topsy-turvy, but I still strongly feel that in the end, the Pens will be in the field of 8.

Oh most definitely and I wasn't saying anything to the contrary. I wish they had sewn up a playoff spot a little earlier, but going down the stretch is part of the overall excitement! I, too, believe they will get that playoff spot - they've worked too hard and are too good of a team for it to be any other way.

LETS GO PENS!!! :tt03:

pittsburghp8baller
03-25-2009, 05:34 PM

tonights game is gonna be tough, and a great test for this team. Other than Pittsburgh, Calgary has been one of the better teams in the NHL since the deadline. I have a friend who is a Sabres fan and he keeps swearing to me that the Sabres are about to get hot again, lets hope he is right.

Any1 see that Martin Gerber break down last night? i laughed my ass off that he would lose his cool over that! and the even funnier thing is that Curtis Joseph came in and kicked ass in OT and got the W.

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Kris Letang just scores on the PP to make it 1-0 Pens!!! :banana:

Crosby had an assist and is now tied with AO for second place in the scoring race. :thumbsup:

pittsburghp8baller
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Kris Letang just scores on the PP to make it 1-0 Pens!!! :banana:

Crosby had an assist and is now tied with AO for second place in the scoring race. :thumbsup:

Letang has really came on this second half, if im not mistaken 8 of his 9 have been during the second half and like 6 of them since Bylsma has taken over. i can def see him pushing the 20 goal/60 point mark some time in his career. It will def make the investment of a Letang powder blue jersey well worth it.

pittsburghp8baller
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Tank jus got robbed on a breakaway, he has only two goals since he has returned from his injury and both were in the same game

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
WTH????? Iginla shoves Gonchar, knocks him on his ass and Sarge gets up and lightly shoves him and they both go to the sin bin? What's he supposed to do - take Iginla's shit? These refs tonight SUCK.

pittsburghp8baller
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
HAL GILL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?