PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
HAL GILL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?

LOL!!! Big Hall isn't a goal scorer, but with that beautiful drop pass by Malkin, how could he not put that in the net? :banana: Wow - the Pens are on FIRE this period!

pittsburghp8baller
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
LOL!!! Big Hall isn't a goal scorer, but with that beautiful drop pass by Malkin, how could he not put that in the net? :banana: Wow - the Pens are on FIRE this period!

that assist alone should get him the MVP, i mean if he can get Hal Gill to score how ISNT he the MVP

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
What a WOW of a game tonight by our Pens! From start to finish, they played hard, finished their checks, got the puck on net and just totally outplayed and overwhelmed the Flames. Fleury was again outstanding in the Pens net. :thumbsup: This one was a team win - everyone did their job and did it well. Keep it going boyz! :applaudit::hatsoff::drink:

HometownGal
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
that assist alone should get him the MVP, i mean if he can get Hal Gill to score how ISNT he the MVP

Agreed. :drink: Geno should definitely get the MVP but you know who's going to get it yet again. No one - not even AO - deserves that award this season more than Malkin imho.

X-Terminator
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Wow, what a game! The Pens really took it to the Flames from start to finish. Everyone was skating, battling along the boards, forechecking hard, backchecking, finishing their checks...it was really fun to watch. They've had some really good games over the past couple of months, but this was their best and most complete effort of the season, at a time when they absolutely needed it. The Flames had some opportunities, but they were BADLY outplayed, and had no answer for anything the Pens did.

This team is playoff bound, and God help whoever they face, because if they play like this, they will beat absolutely anyone.

Also, Hal Gill was the freaking man tonight. What a game he had - probably his best game as a Penguin.

pittsburghp8baller
03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Agreed. :drink: Geno should definitely get the MVP but you know who's going to get it yet again. No one - not even AO - deserves that award this season more than Malkin imho.

yea, its a shame. Malkin has been the best player in the NHL all season, when the Pens struggled, Malkin kept us in it. He has lead the NHL in scoring since bout day 1 and still he doesnt get any recognation ahead of Sid and OV.

oh well, im sure Malkin would rather have a Stanley Cup than an MVP!

great game tonight, its a shame we only get to see them once, a great matchup, both side have a ton of superstars.

poor Matt Cooke, cant get the empty net goal on two attempts

X-Terminator
03-25-2009, 10:35 PM

It'll be an absolute travesty if they give AO the Hart. It would be as bad as Gretzky getting it in 88-89 even though Mario easily won the scoring title and led the upstart Pens to the playoffs (it was at that point that I really began to hate Gretzky's guts). The writers had damn well do the right thing when it comes time to vote. You are absolutely right - no one in the league deserves the Hart Trophy more than Geno.

OneForTheToe
03-26-2009, 01:45 AM
That was a great game, particuarly by Fleury. It was one of those nights when I think they could have played another three periods and the Flames just weren't going to get one past him.

X-Terminator
03-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Playoff scenario update #2:

-- Thanks to the Sabres beating the Panthers last night, both the Devils and Caps have clinched playoff berths. The Caps can clinch the SE division title with a win over the Lightning tomorrow night.

-- The Flyers will clinch a playoff berth with a win over the Panthers tonight.

EDIT: The other 2 scenarios I posted were incorrect.

trauben
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Great game last night against the Flamers!!!

If we keep playing like that and with that kind of intensity? Especially the intensity displayed during the 4 minute PP? We can beat the Rangers!

LET'S GO PENS!!!

Fire Haley
03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Early game today - real early

Nothing has been decided on our end of the stick

4 Philadelphia (73) 40 23 10 90
5 Carolina (76) 41 28 7 89
6 Pittsburgh (75) 40 27 8 88 (7 games remaining)
7 NY Rangers (75) 39 27 9 87
8 Montreal (74) 38 27 9 85

Fire Haley
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Pens dominate 1st period then give up 2 goals in last two minutes. Inexcusable.
Pounding Avery around pretty good.

2-2

Edman
03-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Rags always, ALWAYS give the Penguins fits.

3-3 after two.

Fire Haley
03-28-2009, 03:43 PM
4-3

HUGE goal by Sid wins the game.

A thing of beauty, 2 on 1.

Fleury with a couple of game-saving stops to end it.

Big big game.

OneForTheToe
03-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Only got to see the third period - great drama. Had to laugh about the missed empty netters lately. For some reason the Pens can't hit them and refs don't appear to be helping.:noidea:

Fire Haley
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
A win is a win.

Pens 0-11 on the PP.

OneForTheToe
03-28-2009, 04:30 PM
So looking at up coming games the effect the playoff race, and the Pens:

Sunday - Boston at Philadelphia - go Boston

Monday - New Jersey at NY Rangers - go Jersey, Pens won't catch Shedevils.

Tuesday - Chicago at Montreal - Chicago
-Ottawa at Florida - go Ottawa

Wednesday - go Pens
-Buffalo at Atlanta - go Atlanta
- Philadelphia at Toronto, go Toronto

Thursday - NY Rangers at Carolina -- hmmmm root for a tie? Actually, Carolina has been too hot, so go Rags.
-Montreal at NY Islanders - go Isle

X-Terminator
03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
So looking at up coming games the effect the playoff race, and the Pens:

Sunday - Boston at Philadelphia - go Boston

Monday - New Jersey at NY Rangers - go Jersey, Pens won't catch Shedevils.

Tuesday - Chicago at Montreal - Chicago
-Ottawa at Florida - go Ottawa

Wednesday - go Pens
-Buffalo at Atlanta - go Atlanta
- Philadelphia at Toronto, go Toronto

Thursday - NY Rangers at Carolina -- hmmmm root for a tie? Actually, Carolina has been too hot, so go Rags.
-Montreal at NY Islanders - go Isle

Um, what about tonight?

BUF at MTL
CAR at NJ
PHI at NYI
FLA at DAL

Oh yeah, big win for the Pens today. Had tix, but couldn't go, so HTG took her daughter - hope you had fun without me!

OneForTheToe
03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Um, what about tonight?

BUF at MTL
CAR at NJ
PHI at NYI
FLA at DAL

Oh yeah, big win for the Pens today. Had tix, but couldn't go, so HTG took her daughter - hope you had fun without me!

Yea i guess huh. :doh::toofunny: I was copy pasting and copy missing instead.

So tonights games
BUF at MTL - a tie would be good
CAR at NJ - go NJ, yuck
PHI at NYI - Obviously go Isle
FLA at DAL Dal

X-Terminator
03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Yea i guess huh. :doh::toofunny: I was copy pasting and copy missing instead.

So tonights games
BUF at MTL - a tie would be good
CAR at NJ - go NJ, yuck
PHI at NYI - Obviously go Isle
FLA at DAL Dal

No ties, unfortunately - every game must have a winner. So out of the two, obviously you root for Buffalo. I think NJ will beat Carolina but the Flyers will beat the Isles, cuz they suck. Florida at Dallas should be interesting - the Stars need this game to stay within striking distance of the 8th seed in the West.

OneForTheToe
03-28-2009, 05:11 PM
No ties, unfortunately - every game must have a winner. So out of the two, obviously you root for Buffalo. I think NJ will beat Carolina but the Flyers will beat the Isles, cuz they suck. Florida at Dallas should be interesting - the Stars need this game to stay within striking distance of the 8th seed in the West.

Yea I know we could always root for ice melt at the end of regulation. Kind of like I root for the blimp to hit the Stadium if the Browns are playing the Cowboys.:wink02:

I would like to see Carolina cooled off before the playoffs start. Funny thing is I'd rather see the Pens play Boston in the first round than Phili or NJ (unless we could get home ice against Phili). Although, I don't want to see the Pens cool off, and you have beat the great teams to win it all. Still, Phili is a tough first round match-up.

HometownGal
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
The Pens played a very physical game again today - I'm liking this new aggressiveness! :banana: I especially loved seeing Avery's body smashing against the boards and hearing the ka-bang! :applaudit:

The first two Rags goals were pretty soft but Fleury settled down after that for the most part. Max was all over that ice today and had the Pens first goal - very nice! :thumbsup: I was happy to see Tank get a goal - he's been in a bit of a drought lately. :hatsoff:

I don't know what it is lately with missing the empty nets. Even in the waning seconds, you take advantage of those opportunities because until the final sec ticks off that clock, you just never know! :doh:

Tough game and a must win for the Pens against the Devs on Wednesday night. XT and I will be going to the game.

Eric - Angie and I had a great time today and wouldn't you know it - the biggest beefalo in the arena had to sit his fat ass right in front of me. :banging: :laughing:

X-Terminator
03-28-2009, 10:17 PM
The Pens played a very physical game again today - I'm liking this new aggressiveness! :banana: I especially loved seeing Avery's body smashing against the boards and hearing the ka-bang! :applaudit:

The first two Rags goals were pretty soft but Fleury settled down after that for the most part. Max was all over that ice today and had the Pens first goal - very nice! :thumbsup: I was happy to see Tank get a goal - he's been in a bit of a drought lately. :hatsoff:

I don't know what it is lately with missing the empty nets. Even in the waning seconds, you take advantage of those opportunities because until the final sec ticks off that clock, you just never know! :doh:

Tough game and a must win for the Pens against the Devs on Wednesday night. XT and I will be going to the game.

Eric - Angie and I had a great time today and wouldn't you know it - the biggest beefalo in the arena had to sit his fat ass right in front of me. :banging: :laughing:

I don't know what it is with these empty nets either - I mean, they have Crosby and Malkin out there, and they can't hit an empty net? Now granted, both times today they were held up and tripped, and should have been awarded a goal after Malkin's attempt, but still...someone has to put it in!

I'm glad you and Angie had a great time, and sorry about the big fat ass who sat in front of you! Why does that always seem to happen to you? LOL! They really ought to make those fat asses pay for 2 seats. But it isn't fair - the last 5 games I've been to, they haven't had one fight, but they've had 3 in the 2 games I missed. :doh: :laughing: Wednesday is our last game of the season - I better see some gloves hitting the ice, dammit!

And of course, we got absolutely NO help tonight - the Flyers and Canes both won, so the Pens are still in 6th place. They keep winning all these games, but they can't move up in the standings. It's getting frustrating! :banging:

Fire Haley
03-29-2009, 12:23 PM
The Final Stretch

Eastern Conference
Rk Team Pts Gms remaining

4 PHI 92 (8) BOS @TOR TOR @OTT FLA @NYR @NYI NYR

5 CAR 91 (5) NYR PIT NYI BUF @NJD

6 PIT 90 (6) NJD @CAR @FLA @TB NYI @MTL

7 NYR 87 (6) NJD @CAR @BOS MTL PHI @PHI

8 MTL 86 (7) CHI @NYI @TOR OTT @NYR @BOS PIT

9 FLA 85 (6) OTT ATL PIT @PHI @ATL WAS

10 BUF 82 (7) @ATL @WAS NJD DET @TOR @CAR BOS

X-Terminator
03-29-2009, 12:51 PM
The Final Stretch

Eastern Conference
Rk Team Pts Gms remaining

4 PHI 92 (8) BOS @TOR TOR @OTT FLA @NYR @NYI NYR

5 CAR 91 (5) NYR PIT NYI BUF @NJD

6 PIT 90 (6) NJD @CAR @FLA @TB NYI @MTL

7 NYR 87 (6) NJD @CAR @BOS MTL PHI @PHI

8 MTL 86 (7) CHI @NYI @TOR OTT @NYR @BOS PIT

9 FLA 85 (6) OTT ATL PIT @PHI @ATL WAS

10 BUF 82 (7) @ATL @WAS NJD DET @TOR @CAR BOS

Yeah, the Canes WOULD have 4 of their last 5 games at home :banging:

I really hope the Habs don't make it in their 100th anniversary season. I'd :toofunny: my ass off!

The Flyers have a brutal schedule - 8 games in 14 days with 5 of those on the road and an odd travel schedule. If the Pens can stay hot, they may still catch them.

Buffalo is toast.

Fire Haley
03-29-2009, 11:06 PM
None of the teams have easy schedules left.

It'll be a fight down to the wire, just like I predicted.

HometownGal
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Boston beat the Flyers tonight 4-3. :applaudit: Pens are now just 2 points out of the 4th slot. (GO BEANTOWN!) :wink: :laughing:

I think you're 100% spot on, Killer. This is all going to go down to the wire. Oh well - time for a manicure anyway. :chuckle:

LETS GO PENS! :cheer:

Fire Haley
03-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Rags fans should be shaking in their boots at their remaining schedule.

X-Terminator
03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah, their schedule is brutal. I can easily see them not making it, which of course would make me giggle.

Boston beat the Flyers tonight 4-3. :applaudit: Pens are now just 2 points out of the 4th slot. (GO BEANTOWN!) :wink: :laughing:

I think you're 100% spot on, Killer. This is all going to go down to the wire. Oh well - time for a manicure anyway. :chuckle:

LETS GO PENS! :cheer:

The Flyers still have a game in hand, but that loss really hurts them. Both the Canes and Pens can overtake them, and as I mentioned, they don't exactly have a cakewalk in their remaining games. They'll still make it, but I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up 6th or 7th.

The Pens' magic number is 7, so any combination of the Pens gaining 7 points and the Panthers losing 7, they will clinch a berth. Basically, if the Pens win their next 2 games and the Panthers lose 1 in regulation and one in either regulation or OT, they're in.

X-Terminator
03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, thanks to the Panthers and Habs winning their games tonight, the Pens are just 3 points away from being out of the playoffs entirely, despite all of the games they've won over the past 5+ weeks. I'm starting to get just a wee bit nervous over here. Obviously tomorrow night's game is absolutely critical, and it is definitely looking like the games against Carolina and Florida this weekend will ultimately decide whether or not they get in.

KeiselPower99
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Its been a tough season and just keeps getting that way.

X-Terminator
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Some good news for the Pens - no Patrik Elias tonight for the Devils. Good, because that f'n guy has KILLED the Pens over the years. It'll be nice to not see him score yet another game-winning goal against them.

Also, Godard is being benched for Craig Adams, even though the Devils will be dressing their HW (of sorts) Mike Rupp. So if he or that ugly douchebag Bobby Holik decide to start running guys, who's going to answer the bell? Nobody, that's who. Good job, Danny! :coffee:

Huge, huge, HUGE game tonight - a must win for the Pens.

Fire Haley
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm starting to get just a wee bit nervous over here. Obviously tomorrow night's game is absolutely critical, and it is definitely looking like the games against Carolina and Florida this weekend will ultimately decide whether or not they get in.

Like I said for the past month - down to the wire.

Anybody that's been thinking we're a lock to make the playoffs is kidding themselves.

Every point is precious.

HometownGal
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Some good news for the Pens - no Patrik Elias tonight for the Devils. Good, because that f'n guy has KILLED the Pens over the years. It'll be nice to not see him score yet another game-winning goal against them.

Also, Godard is being benched for Craig Adams, even though the Devils will be dressing their HW (of sorts) Mike Rupp. So if he or that ugly douchebag Bobby Holik decide to start running guys, who's going to answer the bell? Nobody, that's who. Good job, Danny! :coffee:

Huge, huge, HUGE game tonight - a must win for the Pens.

Elias is a PIA to the Pens - I'm glad he's not going to be in the lineup tonight. :applaudit:

I don't understand coach's strategy in benching Godard in favor of Adams - I guess Cookie will have to step it up a notch and follow through instead of instigating and turtling.

Fire Haley
04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Shake them pom-poms!

We gotta have this game!

SteelCityMan786
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
As for tonight's scoring

PIT-5:55-Matt Cooke Assisted by Talbot and Gill Penguins 1-0
PIT-6:31-Bill Guerin Assisted by Kunitz and Fleury Penguins 2-0
NJ-11:22-Brian Gianta Assisted by Zubris and White Penguins 2-1
PIT-17:11-POWER PLAY Evgeni Malkin assisted by GoncharPenguins 3-1

Edman
04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Pittsburgh 5, New Jersey 1 after two.

As we've seen too many times this year, no lead is safe.

Edman
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Leafs beating the Flyers 3-1. 2nd Intermission.

pittsburghp8baller
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Leafs beating the Flyers 3-1. 2nd Intermission.

better news than the 6-1 smacking of the devils

looking real good tonight. well worth the wait i had to go through to watch the game

SteelCityMan786
04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
3-2 Leafs with 1:26 to go

KeiselPower99
04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Great game tonight by the Pens.

HometownGal
04-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Great game tonight by the Pens.

Agreed! :applaudit::drink: Just got home a little while ago.

What a terrific performance by the Pens tonight against Brodeur and the Devs! :hatsoff: I've always loved Marty and felt a little sorry for him being owned by our guys tonight. The Pens are continuing to peak and sadly for the Devs, after their 6th loss in a row, they appear to be withering. Their frustration clearly showed throughout the game as they were trying to goad the Pens into some rough-housing, particularly at the end of the 2nd. As everything happened so fast - anyone know what kicked off that brawl at the end of that period?

Keep it rollin right on into the playoffs boyz! :drink:

OneForTheToe
04-02-2009, 01:45 AM
That was a great game. I saw most of it on replay because I was working and could only watch sparingly. The Pens really seem to be inside Brodeur's head now.

Fire Haley
04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
NJ is tanking - at the right time too!

I watched the Debbils broadcast - they were screaming about the penalties so hard they ran out of breath.

Nice interviews with Sid though.

X-Terminator
04-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Agreed! :applaudit::drink: Just got home a little while ago.

What a terrific performance by the Pens tonight against Brodeur and the Devs! :hatsoff: I've always loved Marty and felt a little sorry for him being owned by our guys tonight. The Pens are continuing to peak and sadly for the Devs, after their 6th loss in a row, they appear to be withering. Their frustration clearly showed throughout the game as they were trying to goad the Pens into some rough-housing, particularly at the end of the 2nd. As everything happened so fast - anyone know what kicked off that brawl at the end of that period?

Keep it rollin right on into the playoffs boyz! :drink:

Apparently Brent Sutter was pissed because Gill came off the bench and went after David Clarkson while he was involved in that scrum at the end of the period, and that was why Shanahan went after him too. I'm guessing Guerin fighting Clarkson in the 3rd was partly the result of that whole thing.

Anyway, the Devils really are reeling - it's like after they got that goal to get within one, they just quit. They weren't skating, their defense was awful and Brodeur looked human. The Pens, however, looked great, and are definitely peaking at the right time. Big win, and nice to finally get a little help from another team with the Laffs beating the Flyers. :thumbsup::drink:

trauben
04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Pittsburgh 5, New Jersey 1 after two.

As we've seen too many times this year, no lead is safe.
That was with Therrien though, so far with Bylsma? I don't believe we fell to that yet, have we?

GREAT GAME THOUGH! It was nice seeing everyone get a piece of the pie!

I was getting tired of hearing about Martin Brodeur in the first period. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know his record and it's amazing! It really is and he's running for the top spot of all time, but I just found it comical that while they were gushing over him we were stacking up the points! In that third period I didn't hear much more said other than, "he's having a bad night" and "the Pens always take it to Brodeur."

I couldn't stop laughing at Zubrus! He just kept finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time getting busted by one of our Pens, over-and-over-and-over again. Talk about getting a beat down! :sofunny:

And Ovechkin is still 7 points behind Evgeni on the leader board and only one point ahead of Sid now. I wish Sid hadn't had that kicking action on that one goal in order to have got it to count (not for we needed it for the game's score), but it would've been nice for him to tie with Ovechkin on the leader board. I would just like to see our two Pens finish on the top this year!

Time for the Pens happy dance..............http://www.anr.state.vt.us/site/html/VSCC/images/TEAM_HUSSTS-504_penguin.gif

HometownGal
04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Pens have 2 really tough games coming up away from home, i.e. Saturday night in Carolina and Sunday against the Panthers. This team has been smokin' hot and I see that trend continuing. They've been playing with such an intense passion for the last 2 months or so and I don't see that passion fizzling any time soon. A win against the Canes is a MUST as the Pens are sitting in the 5th spot right now with the Canes breathing down their necks, 1 point behind.

LETS GO PENS!!! :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
This is Sid's team now - we don't need a coach that meddles.

Attack Attack Attack

X-Terminator
04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Pens have 2 really tough games coming up away from home, i.e. Saturday night in Carolina and Sunday against the Panthers. This team has been smokin' hot and I see that trend continuing. They've been playing with such an intense passion for the last 2 months or so and I don't see that passion fizzling any time soon. A win against the Canes is a MUST as the Pens are sitting in the 5th spot right now with the Canes breathing down their necks, 1 point behind.

LETS GO PENS!!! :thumbsup:

Better make that 6th (again) - the Canes beat the Rags tonight to move into 4th place in the East. They've now won 7 straight games and are the hottest team in the league. The Pens definitely have their work cut out for them on Saturday. They beat the Canes twice earlier this season when they were struggling badly, and are now a completely different team (as are the Pens, of course). It's come down to these 2 games, really - the Pens beat the Canes and Panthers, and they're in the playoffs.

trauben
04-03-2009, 08:07 AM
They've now won 7 straight games and are the hottest team in the league.
That only means they're due for a loss! We had a couple already, now it's their turn. :wink02:
The Pens definitely have their work cut out for them on Saturday. They beat the Canes twice earlier this season when they were struggling badly, and are now a completely different team (as are the Pens, of course). It's come down to these 2 games, really - the Pens beat the Canes and Panthers, and they're in the playoffs.
I totally agree and I think Sid will keep that in mind. I think it comes down to solid fast mindsets! We're playing chicken and we can't afford to blink.

Personally I think some of the mentality has to be Sid talking to his players about how we have to at least make it back to the playoffs after having been in the Cup last year. If he's not saying it, you know they're all thinking it.

These last few games will be worth the watch for sure! :popcorn:

X-Terminator
04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, the Pens got a little help tonight - the Thrashers beat the Panthers 3-1, and reduces the Pens' magic number to 3. If they win tomorrow, all they'll need to do is get 1 point against Florida on Sunday and they clinch a playoff berth. Unfortunately, the Flyers beat the Laffs 8-5 in an old school, 1980's style firewagon hockey game, so they are 2 points ahead of the Pens for 5th.

Fire Haley
04-04-2009, 01:47 PM
The race ain't over till it's over.

We gotta have this game or the nailbiting will really begin.

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 07:20 PM
TK scores for the Pens who are up 1-0 on the Canes in the 1st. :banana: :applaudit:

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Eric Staal ties it up 1-1.

Pittsburghfan
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
hey guys, I haven't replied in this thread in a while. End of 1. the score is 1-1

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Canes go ahead 2-1 early in the 3rd. Both teams had 15 shots in the 1st. I never count our Pens out of ANY game no matter what the score is. :drink:

Pittsburghfan
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM
2-2 start of OT. Pens earn a point.

At the 3:49 mark Canes score(Babchuk), Pens get 1 point atleast.

X-Terminator
04-04-2009, 09:36 PM
They lost because they couldn't get the puck out of the f'ing zone. Instead of clearing the puck, Orpik goes for the big hit instead. Nice job, Brooks. :doh:

Oh well, they get a point so if they beat Florida tomorrow in regulation, they're in. The Canes clinched a berth with the win.

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
The Pens should have had 3 on the board and won in regulation. That call on Kunitz which negated Billy G's goal in the 2nd was absolute BULLSHIT. :mad: The Pens played one helluva game but as XT said - they couldn't get the puck out of the zone in OT which resulted in the Canes winning goal.

On to Florida tomorrow night. They're going to be a little tired, as the game tomorrow is a 5 PM EST start.

LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
That was a great game - the refs let em play but Ward was just a wall, tons of Pens scoring chances.

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Philly and Ottawa tied 3-3 and looks like they're going into OT. The Habs have their game in hand 6-1 over the Leafs.

HometownGal
04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Sens beat Flyers in the shootout 4-3.

X-Terminator
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Sens beat Flyers in the shootout 4-3.

Now here's the interesting thing - even though the Flyers lost in the SO, they are still 4th because they have a game in hand on the Canes. However, they still haven't clinched a playoff berth because Florida owns the tiebreaker over the Flyers. So the Flyers still need another point or a Penguins' win tomorrow to clinch a playoff berth, while the Canes clinched despite being 5th because the Panthers can't catch them in wins. Anyway, none of that really matters to me - all that matters is the Pens winning and punching their ticket to the playoffs.

X-Terminator
04-04-2009, 11:48 PM
BTW, can we put out an APB on Petr Sykora? The guy wearing #17 right now certainly isn't him. In his last 20 games, he has just 3 goals and 5 points, while playing on a line with the league's leading scorer. That is totally unacceptable for a guy who's supposed to be a goal scorer and is looking for a big, fat raise from the team in the offseason. If this keeps up, I'll be leaning toward the Pens taking the $3.5 million per season he's asking for and look for a better, more consistent scoring threat for Geno's line.

RunWillieRun
04-05-2009, 01:38 AM
weak game...

Officiating sucked. The negated goal and the penalty on Guerin with 2min left were both bullshit. T. Ruutu's dive was just as obvious as Cooke's earlier...I guess that the advantage of being the home team.

I guess when you have the two of the best players in the world and they both fail epically on breakaways you are bound to lose the game.

Fire Haley
04-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Anyone that thought Malkin was gonna score on the penalty shot obviously hasn't been watching him in the shoot-outs.

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
As I've said in the past, your best players aren't always the best on breakaways/shootouts. Even Ovechkin isn't very prolific at it. Not all of them can be Lemieux and be pretty much automatic on breakaways. That's why you see a lot of 3rd line players and defensemen in the shootout rather than superstars.

Anyway, if the Pens come up with anything less than 2 points today, they should be forced to walk to Tampa from Sunrise, FL. No excuses - get it done, and wrap up the playoff berth.

pittsburghp8baller
04-05-2009, 11:28 AM
weak game...

Officiating sucked. The negated goal and the penalty on Guerin with 2min left were both bullshit. T. Ruutu's dive was just as obvious as Cooke's earlier...I guess that the advantage of being the home team.

I guess when you have the two of the best players in the world and they both fail epically on breakaways you are bound to lose the game.

both penalties were penalties and should have been called. and penalty or not, nothing excuses that many turnovers in overtime. the puck i dont think left our zone all of OT. even if they called ruutu on a dive, then guerin still gets taken off the ice anyways.

i think saying today's game is huge is 1. obvious and 2. an understatement. we need a big bounce back today. whats with the start time too? Five o'clock? come on we just got done playing a game last night that didnt end till 930 10.

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 05:49 PM
They outshoot the Panthers 19-7 in the 1st period, and they're STILL down a goal. What the hell? I'm serious. They lose this game, they walk to Tampa. I'm not settling for anything less than a victory.

Kudos to Sid for stepping up and taking on Ballard after his hit on Malkin.

pittsburghp8baller
04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
They outshoot the Panthers 19-7 in the 1st period, and they're STILL down a goal. What the hell? I'm serious. They lose this game, they walk to Tampa. I'm not settling for anything less than a victory.

Kudos to Sid for stepping up and taking on Ballard after his hit on Malkin.

the only plus that would come out of them walking to tampa, is that there is no way Hal Gill would make it so he wouldnt be able to play next game.

+Leadership and courage to Crosby for stepping in there with no hesitation. i still believe he is underrated as a captain based on the fact that most believe he wont do that for his teammates. in all honeslty though, id rather he didnt one of these days he is gonna break a knuckle on a helmet and instead of being without him for 5 minutes we lose him for a month

pittsburghp8baller
04-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Anyone that thought Malkin was gonna score on the penalty shot obviously hasn't been watching him in the shoot-outs.

he made a decent attempt last night, pulling it across the body like that. since he showed shot so soon, i would of liked to see him bring it back around and try to go five hole.

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
the only plus that would come out of them walking to tampa, is that there is no way Hal Gill would make it so he wouldnt be able to play next game.

+Leadership and courage to Crosby for stepping in there with no hesitation. i still believe he is underrated as a captain based on the fact that most believe he wont do that for his teammates. in all honeslty though, id rather he didnt one of these days he is gonna break a knuckle on a helmet and instead of being without him for 5 minutes we lose him for a month

Crosby gets way more BS than he deserves for being the captain. The guy is a leader on and off the ice and he has shown it so many times over the years. But he still gets crap for things he did FOUR YEARS AGO. As if a player can't mature. It really chafes my ass.

Speaking of chafing my ass, it's now 3-1 Panthers after 2. They'd better have some good walking shoes handy. I DO NOT want to go into Tampa with a playoff berth on the line. Sucky ass minor-league team or not, you think they're going to roll over for the Pens? I don't think so.

pittsburghp8baller
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Crosby gets way more BS than he deserves for being the captain. The guy is a leader on and off the ice and he has shown it so many times over the years. But he still gets crap for things he did FOUR YEARS AGO. As if a player can't mature. It really chafes my ass.

Speaking of chafing my ass, it's now 3-1 Panthers after 2. They'd better have some good walking shoes handy. I DO NOT want to go into Tampa with a playoff berth on the line. Sucky ass minor-league team or not, you think they're going to roll over for the Pens? I don't think so.

yea, u think malone is gonna wanna stick it to the team that sticked it to him? id def think so. it would be a great ending to a horrible season for the lighting if they can keep out the defending eastern conference champions.

on that third goal, did the Penguins not touch that puck? or am i just blind? i thought it looked pretty clear they touched it at least twice. maybe i need to get a HDTV

HometownGal
04-05-2009, 06:51 PM
both penalties were penalties and should have been called. and penalty or not, nothing excuses that many turnovers in overtime. the puck i dont think left our zone all of OT. even if they called ruutu on a dive, then guerin still gets taken off the ice anyways.

I vehemently disagree with the Kunitz penalty. He never touched the guy and if you watch the replay, you will clearly see that is 100% fact.

The Pens looked a little tired in that 2nd period. I never count these guys out, especially not in the 3rd, where they've been strong down this stretch. They have to bombard Vokoun in this period and for God's sake - GET SOMEONE IN FRONT OF THE NET!!!!

The Panthers are playing for their playoff lives just as the Pens are, so it should be a good 3rd period. C'mon Pens - you can do it. :drink:

P.S. That little prick Ovechkin scored 2 points in the Caps W today, which puts him only 2 points behind Geno for the Art Ross. :banging:

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Eaton scores on the PP to make it 3-2. If they find a way to tie it up and get a point, I might think about not having them walk to Tampa even if they lose.

EDIT: Nevermind, the Panthers make it 4-2 on a goal that should NEVER be allowed. Yeah, I'm pissed.

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
And the Panthers win 4-2. Good luck on that walk, boys.

Great, exactly what I DIDN'T want to have happen - try to clinch on the road against an injury-ravaged crap team missing its best player. :doh: Those teams are always dangerous. I can't believe I'm going to have to root for the friggin Flyers on Tuesday. The thought makes me sick :puke:

HometownGal
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
And the Panthers win 4-2. Good luck on that walk, boys.

Great, exactly what I DIDN'T want to have happen - try to clinch on the road against an injury-ravaged crap team missing its best player. :doh: Those teams are always dangerous. I can't believe I'm going to have to root for the friggin Flyers on Tuesday. The thought makes me sick :puke:

C'mon Eric - give credit where credit is due. Vokoun played a whale of a game for the Panthers - he stopped 41 shots. It isn't like the Pens weren't trying to put the puck in the net. I thought they played decently for a team that had just finished playing a really tough, physical game in Raleigh 19 hours prior to the start of this game. Quite frankly, they looked gassed out by midway in the second period. These back to backers are killers for any team.

I will root for whoever I have to in this last week and I'm not giving up on these guys - not for all of the veggie fried rice in China.

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
C'mon Eric - give credit where credit is due. Vokoun played a whale of a game for the Panthers - he stopped 41 shots. It isn't like the Pens weren't trying to put the puck in the net. I thought they played decently for a team that had just finished playing a really tough, physical game in Raleigh 19 hours prior to the start of this game. Quite frankly, they looked gassed out by midway in the second period. These back to backers are killers for any team.

I will root for whoever I have to in this last week and I'm not giving up on these guys - not for all of the veggie fried rice in China.

And how many of those shots were quality shots? IMO not enough for having 43 SOG. Plus, how many were blocked? And other than the one goal, the PP was nonexistent again. Yeah, the Panthers won so they get credit, and yeah playing 2 games in less than 24 hours is tough, but these are games the Pens need to win, period. 2 games, one point. Not good enough. Tampa is not going to be a pushover, and neither are the Isles for that matter. They had better realize that and bring their A game on Tuesday night. Sorry, I just can't accept this loss.

Fire Haley
04-05-2009, 08:02 PM
This is what happens when your best two players take a nap.

We can't rely on our 3rd and 4th lines forever.

Wake up. Take a shot instead of them fancy pants passes.

HometownGal
04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
And how many of those shots were quality shots? IMO not enough for having 43 SOG. Plus, how many were blocked? And other than the one goal, the PP was nonexistent again. Yeah, the Panthers won so they get credit, and yeah playing 2 games in less than 24 hours is tough, but these are games the Pens need to win, period. 2 games, one point. Not good enough. Tampa is not going to be a pushover, and neither are the Isles for that matter. They had better realize that and bring their A game on Tuesday night. Sorry, I just can't accept this loss.

You being the hockey guru you are - you should know that a "quality shot" isn't always a necessity in scoring a goal. Vokoun was like a stone wall in that net today and as I said above - it wasn't that the Pens weren't doing everything humanly possible to put one past him. After Malkin was nailed by Ballard and he and Sid went at it, the tempo of the game drastically changed in the Panthers' favor and they ran with it against an obviously very tired Pens team. I'm not making excuses for them, but I'm not going to run around here screaming that the sky is falling when it simply isn't at this point with 3 games remaining, one of them on home ice against a team that can't smell where the Pens shit last. :banging:

You were one of those around here midway through the season who didn't think this team had a prayer, so what right do you have to bitch and moan now????? :mad:

X-Terminator
04-05-2009, 08:36 PM
You being the hockey guru you are - you should know that a "quality shot" isn't always a necessity in scoring a goal. Vokoun was like a stone wall in that net today and as I said above - it wasn't that the Pens weren't doing everything humanly possible to put one past him. After Malkin was nailed by Ballard and he and Sid went at it, the tempo of the game drastically changed in the Panthers' favor and they ran with it against an obviously very tired Pens team. I'm not making excuses for them, but I'm not going to run around here screaming that the sky is falling when it simply isn't at this point with 3 games remaining, one of them on home ice against a team that can't smell where the Pens shit last. :banging:

You were one of those around here midway through the season who didn't think this team had a prayer, so what right do you have to bitch and moan now????? :mad:

Because the Pens are 2 points away from going to the playoffs, and I refuse to take it for granted that they're just going to get in because the next 2 games are against teams battling for the worst record in the NHL. I've seen teams this close with more games remaining and ended up not making it, the most recent being last year when all Carolina needed was one win in their last 3 games to win the division and make the playoffs, and they didn't get it done - Washington ended up catching them. I'm not going to relax until I see that "X" next to their name.

You're right, I've probably lost my right to bitch and moan since I left them for dead back in January. But that still doesn't mean I can't worry about the possibility of them ending up not making the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed. Plus, I'm a bit fired up because Sid actually went out and defended Malkin by dropping the gloves with a pretty tough customer in Ballard, and he's STILL getting crap from haters.

trauben
04-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Sid will ALWAYS get crap from the haters, and there will always be those who hate him because of his numbers/stats and the fame that comes with his name and the NHL's and medias overall love of him (not to mention who much women love him because he's even got a complete package in the looks department). I'm just glad he seems to know how to manage it all at such a young age.

Now we just need them to clinch this playoff berth before I die of a heart attack!

RunWillieRun
04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Not the reason for the losses, but this was the worst officated weekend of Pens hockey I think I have ever seen.

Fire Haley
04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Hanging on by the hairs on their chinny chin chins.

Pens are out of gas after the big run.

Rangers are in 8th and 2pts behind us.
They play the Habs then two against Philly - who might start resting players.

FLA is 3pts back and has Philly Atl and the Caps - Tuesday night will be huge.

A nailbiter to the very end - just like I perdicted.

X-Terminator
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Hanging on by the hairs on their chinny chin chins.

Pens are out of gas after the big run.

Rangers are in 8th and 2pts behind us.
They play the Habs then two against Philly - who might start resting players.

FLA is 3pts back and has Philly Atl and the Caps - Tuesday night will be huge.

A nailbiter to the very end - just like I perdicted.

Even if they're out of gas, they should still beat that AHL team the Bolts are putting on the ice. But as I said, nothing is guaranteed - teams like that are always dangerous. But if Philthy beats Florida in regulation, which they need to do to clinch their own berth, then it doesn't matter - the Pens will clinch.

Fire Haley
04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Scoreboard watching sucks.

Just win.

HometownGal
04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
OK - I'm making it official before tonight's Pens/Lightning game.

NO FWF'ism. :flap:

Get behind your team and support them. Be happy that this team, who, as I said above, some gave up on mid-season, is a strong contender for a playoff spot. I have no expectations of this team (though I would be a little disappointed if they didn't make the playoffs) other than to go out there and give it their BEST shot.

LETS GO PENS! :tt03::applaudit:

HometownGal
04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Pens up 3-0 with 7+ remaining in the 2nd. Goals by Tank and 2 by Sid! :banana:

2 points thus far for Geno! :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Good game so far for the Pens.

X-Terminator
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
OK, they clinched, that's great...but...

They allowed 4 goals to the Lightning in the 3rd period? The LIGHTNING??? A team that has half it's roster from its AHL affiliate??? Are you freaking kidding me????

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest after seeing the score. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason for them to give up 4 goals to that pathetic team in the entire GAME, let alone one period!!!

Anyway, congrats to the Pens, and onward to Thursday and the Isles.

Fire Haley
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I watched the game, the TB announcers were going crazy over the goalie interference that wasn't called, it ended up the winning goal.

But the Pends were all over them early - they just let up. Right now I'd be perfectly happy taking the sixth seed and playing jersey.

Maybe we can still knock the Habs outta the playoffs too - that would be a hoot.

Dodt
04-08-2009, 12:31 AM
i'm just hoping the pens knock out the flyers an caps during the playoffs.
looking at the Tampa bay third jersey make me miss the old pen jersey with Pittsburgh in yellow letters.

trauben
04-08-2009, 08:04 AM
OK, they clinched, that's great...but...

They allowed 4 goals to the Lightning in the 3rd period? The LIGHTNING??? A team that has half it's roster from its AHL affiliate??? Are you freaking kidding me????

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest after seeing the score. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason for them to give up 4 goals to that pathetic team in the entire GAME, let alone one period!!!

Anyway, congrats to the Pens, and onward to Thursday and the Isles.
I had to run out to the store to get my daughter something real quick. When I left the car we had just ended the 2nd period 3-0, then finally after getting home and turning the game back on I was SHOCKED to see it was 5-4! I was like WTF?????:pissed: Man I don't want to see them picking this crap up again blowing comfortable leads!

Pens up 3-0 with 7+ remaining in the 2nd. Goals by Tank and 2 by Sid! :banana:

2 points thus far for Geno! :thumbsup:
I was glad to see Sid break the 100 points barrier lst night reaching 101 now! And then for Evgeni to pick up a couple of assists to keep his lead on Ovechkin (who also got two assists last night), that was good, too! Geno's up on the leader board at 110 over Ovechkin who's just two points behind him at 108 now. Geno had a nice lead there for a while and I don't want to see him lose it. As it is, Ovechkin has 55 goals to Geno's 34 and with the points being so close, I think Ovechkin is the media favorite to get the MVP Hart Trophy this year. I really don't want to see Ovechkin get it two years in a row. I can't stand that guy! :mad:

HometownGal
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I watched the game, the TB announcers were going crazy over the goalie interference that wasn't called, it ended up the winning goal.

I suppose they didn't say boo after the 3rd TB goal, when one of their players (can't remember who) shoved Scuderi into Fleury, knocking him off his feet, which resulted in the left side of the net being open for Szczechura to put the puck in. :doh:

The Pens did what they needed to do to hold onto the lead and go on to win the game, which is what we've seen in so many games this season. I wasn't all that happy about them slacking off a bit in the 3rd period because they had the lead and I think Bylsma calling that time out when he did to get their heads together was the perfect cure, as they seemed to play with more uuumph after that.

As for us blowing a lead to what some feel is a shitty team - the Lightning need a few more pieces to the puzzle, particularly on defense, and they are going to be a force to be reckoned with down the road. They've got some fast young skaters who can handle the puck well, in addition to their star players, Lecavalier and St. Louis. They stepped up their play big time last night to play spoiler and Tocchet has them playing a very physical game. I'm sure the Pens have a ton of bumps and bruises from last night's matchup.

We've clinched and we'll see where we end up in the seeding. I wouldn't mind playing either the Flyers or the Devs, but I don't want to play the Caps.

LETS GO PENS! :applaudit:

X-Terminator
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I had to run out to the store to get my daughter something real quick. When I left the car we had just ended the 2nd period 3-0, then finally after getting home and turning the game back on I was SHOCKED to see it was 5-4! I was like WTF?????:pissed: Man I don't want to see them picking this crap up again blowing comfortable leads!

I was glad to see Sid break the 100 points barrier lst night reaching 101 now! And then for Evgeni to pick up a couple of assists to keep his lead on Ovechkin (who also got two assists last night), that was good, too! Geno's up on the leader board at 110 over Ovechkin who's just two points behind him at 108 now. Geno had a nice lead there for a while and I don't want to see him lose it. As it is, Ovechkin has 55 goals to Geno's 34 and with the points being so close, I think Ovechkin is the media favorite to get the MVP Hart Trophy this year. I really don't want to see Ovechkin get it two years in a row. I can't stand that guy! :mad:

2 weeks ago I thought Ovechkin had no chance to catch Geno, but I was wrong. He hasn't been getting any help from his wingers lately, and if he's going to hold on to win this thing, those guys are going to have to produce more than 5 total goals in 20+ games, especially going into the playoffs. The Caps have Tampa Bay and Florida, and the Pens have the Isles and Habs. That obviously favors AO, so Geno is going to have to have a big night against the Isles on Thursday to have a chance at hanging on. As for the MVP, Ovechkin was going to win it regardless of if Malkin won the scoring title by 1 point or 20. He's become the media's darling because of his goofy antics, and you know how they love style over substance.

From what I understand, the Pens were cruising right along early in the 3rd after they scored to make it 4-0, then got sloppy and careless on the PP that led to the Bolts' SHG, and they were off and running from there. That cannot happen in the playoffs against better competition, and I think they know that. That truly would have been an embarrassing situation had the Bolts come all the way back and won the game. They also got a lucky break on Sykora's goal because apparently Fedotenko should have been called for goalie interference and the goal disallowed, but I think that's a make-up call from the Carolina game when Guerin had a goal disallowed on a questionable penalty on Kunitz. I'll take it.

Anyway, seriously - congratulations to the Pens and Dan Bylsma for a such a dramatic turnaround and making the playoffs, when most fans, including yours truly, left them for dead after the Valentine's Day Massacre in Toronto. No matter what happens now, I think Bylsma has earned the "interim" title being taken off his name.

Fire Haley
04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
TB was scrappy all right. There was a Noah Welch sighting - and Malone broke his hand blocking a shot.

I'd much rather play Marty and the Debbils than the Canes right now - they will beat us up.

X-Terminator
04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, after that ass whoopin' the Canes put on the Isles last night, they are the last team I want to face in the playoffs. They're just playing out of their minds right now.

They can't finish any lower than 7th, so it'll be either the Caps, Devils, Flyers or Canes. Anyone but the Canes.

trauben
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
2 weeks ago I thought Ovechkin had no chance to catch Geno, but I was wrong.
You and I both on that one! Talk about frustration!
As for the MVP, Ovechkin was going to win it regardless of if Malkin won the scoring title by 1 point or 20. He's become the media's darling because of his goofy antics, and you know how they love style over substance.
I know, after all, this is the same BS media that picked Belicheat as Coach of the Year the same year he was discovered as cheating his ass off to win games! I take much of what the media says and hands out with a grain of salt. Okay, a ton of freakin salt! :thmbdown:

I'd much rather play Marty and the Debbils than the Canes right now - they will beat us up.
There were plenty of us who feared our playing the Devils last week as well and still we beat the snot out of them and their goal tender that night. Who knows? :noidea: Anything can happen and that's why I'm still holding onto faith and a prayer! :wink02:

pittsburghp8baller
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
congrats on the pens for clinching a playoff spot and i agree bylsma has pretty much erased that "interim" status from his title.

its a shame that its really come down to the fact that OV's show off style has won him yet another MVP. In the end, the media will always give an edge to goal scorers and given the fact that OV almost has as much shots on net as Crosby AND Malkin combined( 511 to 515). Oh well, im sure both Sid and Geno will pass on the MVP to get there name on the Stanley Cup instead

trauben
04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh well, im sure both Sid and Geno will pass on the MVP to get there name on the Stanley Cup instead
That seems to be the Pittsburgh way............ Ben didn't get into the Pro Bowl either year now that he's won the Super Bowls and he said as much! Might as well keep with city tradition then. :thmbup:

X-Terminator
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
congrats on the pens for clinching a playoff spot and i agree bylsma has pretty much erased that "interim" status from his title.

its a shame that its really come down to the fact that OV's show off style has won him yet another MVP. In the end, the media will always give an edge to goal scorers and given the fact that OV almost has as much shots on net as Crosby AND Malkin combined( 511 to 515). Oh well, im sure both Sid and Geno will pass on the MVP to get there name on the Stanley Cup instead

Absolutely they would, despite what some other opposing team's fans say about Sid in particular, calling him selfish and other nonsense. :coffee: And I could probably score 50 goals if I shoot 500 times. Damn impressive, for sure, and would be worthy of MVP consideration on it's own, but unfortunately, it's his jumping around like an idiot, showboating and staged celebrations that's going to get him the MVP over the possible league's leading scorer who's only been the league's leading scorer for nearly FIVE MONTHS. It's going to be 1989 all over again.

OneForTheToe
04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Frustrating to see the Pens almost give the game away. Still, a win and a clinch of a playoff birth is all that matters. Plus, just because their record sucks doesn't mean a team can't get fired up to play one of their better games of the season. The Lightning played with heart ... but they are still going home.:wave:

I have minor complaint. While I respect the Pen's ability to win games in multiple ways - high scoring shootout or physical brawl , I think they have to be careful not to be lured into being over aggresive physically by teams that lack the fire power to stay with the Pens otherwise. It's a fine line between matching another teams physicalility and getting taken out of your game. Just thank the Lord Stanley for the Pen's penalty killing units.

pittsburghp8baller
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Absolutely they would, despite what some other opposing team's fans say about Sid in particular, calling him selfish and other nonsense. :coffee: And I could probably score 50 goals if I shoot 500 times. Damn impressive, for sure, and would be worthy of MVP consideration on it's own, but unfortunately, it's his jumping around like an idiot, showboating and staged celebrations that's going to get him the MVP over the possible league's leading scorer who's only been the league's leading scorer for nearly FIVE MONTHS. It's going to be 1989 all over again.

remember Jeremy Roenick calling him boring? That was hilarious, what was even funnier was him saying that he might be a better player if he pulled the same antics that OV did. That's why people will only remember JR the mouth not so much JR the player.

im pretty sure that i scored 50 goals on 500 shots, but that was over 5 seasons of playing hockey. i could never imagine shooting 500 times over a course of ONE season, even if i did play forward. I would imagine that would consist of a lot of wasted, bad shots.

HometownGal
04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm watching all of the pre-game awards and Geno was named team MVP! :drink::applaudit::hatsoff: Eric Goddard won the Player's Player award and Eric Staal won the Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Game's about to start. Garon gets the start in the net tonight.

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
04-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Pens and Isles tied at 1 going into the second. Goal by Phillipe Boucher and Geno gets an assist to put him ahead of AO by 3. :applaudit:

HometownGal
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Pens ahead 3-1 midway through the 2nd on goals by DuPuis and Cooke. :banana:

X-Terminator
04-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I'll watch the replay of the game tomorrow, but I see that they got a nice win. :thumbsup: Geno with 2 points and AO with the big, fat goose egg tonight, so Geno is up by 4 with one game left for each. Unless AO blows up at Florida on Saturday, it looks like Geno has the Art Ross wrapped up.

Both the Flyers and Canes lost in regulation tonight, so the Pens are tied with both for 4th place. The Flyers are still ahead because of their game in hand, but both the Pens and Canes have more wins. If the Pens beat Montreal, the Canes lose at NJ and the Flyers lose one of their last 2 games (at NYI, vs. NYR), the Pens will be the 4th seed.

The entire Eastern playoff field has been set - both the Rags and Habs clinched tonight to round out the top 8.

Fire Haley
04-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Holy crap- I turned off the Pens game to watch Boston and the Habs. That was an absolute playoff bloody war.

5-4 Boston.

Habs back into the playoffs with an OT point.
FL Panthers eliminated.

OneForTheToe
04-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Good win over a bad team. I mean a bad team, Yikes.

So, does Fleury start against Montreal? I would think so. Don't want him to lose his edge (edge - pronounced as only that word smith Emmitt Smith can in that Just for Men Commercial).

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Pens still have a shot at home ice - it breaks down to this,

If Pens win at Montreal, Carolina loses against New Jersey and Philadelphia loses one of their final two, the Pens get the 4th spot.

The way the schedule is, Pens may very well know the answer to this by the time they faceoff on Saturday. Carolina plays at 1:00 and Philadelphia plays at 2:00, with the Pens game at 7:00.

X-Terminator
04-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Pens still have a shot at home ice - it breaks down to this,

If Pens win at Montreal, Carolina loses against New Jersey and Philadelphia loses one of their final two, the Pens get the 4th spot.

The way the schedule is, Pens may very well know the answer to this by the time they faceoff on Saturday. Carolina plays at 1:00 and Philadelphia plays at 2:00, with the Pens game at 7:00.

Uh, yeah...that's what I said above :wink02:

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
We need a Stanley Cup playoffs thread.

SteelCityMan786
04-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Games of Interest for the Penguins Playoff Seeding

Tomorrow
Pittsburgh @ Montreal
Carolina @ New Jersey
Philadelphia @ NY Islanders

Sunday
NY Rangers @ Philadelphia

So here's how things would go for seeding between the Canes, Pens, and Flyers

Pittsburgh
To Get The 4th Seed
-Win, Flyers only win once or lose twice in Overtime(Pens have more wins) and Carolina loses in Regulation or Overtime(Carolina holds head to head and both teams have even wins).
-Win, Carolina Loses, Philly loses out.
(A couple of the scenarios)

To Get The 5th Seed
-Win, Carolina Loses, and Philly gets 3 out of 4 points in the last 2 games

Philadelphia
To Get The 4th Seed
-Get 3 out of 4 points in last 2 games.
-Win once, Carolina and Pittsburgh both lose in Regulation or Overtime

To Get The 5th Seed
-Win Once, Pittsburgh wins(Penguins would have more wins and would hold)

Carolina
To Get The 4th Seed
-Win, Philly loses out(can gain 4th Seed if Philly Loses in OT)

Just a few scenarios, not sure if there is more, but this is just a basic idea of what to expect.

as for what the Picture would look like as of today.
1. Boston vs. 8. Montreal
2. Washington vs. 7. NY Rangers
3. New Jersey vs. 6. Pittsburgh
4. Philadelphia vs. 5. Carolina

1. San Jose vs. 8. St. Louis
2. Detroit vs. 7. Anaheim
3. Vancouver vs. 6. Columbus
4. Chicago vs. Calgary

Nashville and Minnesota can still make it in the West.

OneForTheToe
04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Games of Interest for the Penguins Playoff Seeding

as for what the Picture would look like as of today.
1. Boston vs. 8. Montreal
2. Washington vs. 7. NY Rangers
3. New Jersey vs. 6. Pittsburgh
4. Philadelphia vs. 5. Carolina

1. San Jose vs. 8. St. Louis
2. Detroit vs. 7. Anaheim
3. Vancouver vs. 6. Columbus
4. Chicago vs. Calgary

Nashville and Minnesota can still make it in the West.

I kind of like that match-up for the Pens short of the possibilty of getting home ice.

Not that any playoff series will be easy, a sure thing, or predictable, but I kind of like the path through Jersey and then maybe Boston.

X-Terminator
04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Basically, this whole thing can be sorted out before they drop the puck between Crosby and Koivu tomorrow night...

KeiselPower99
04-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Gotta love this time of year. Hockey playoffs!!!!

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Excellent! :applaudit: I never really understood why the Pens demoted Satan in the first place.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4059365&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

Penguins call up Satan

PITTSBURGH -- Longtime NHL forward Miroslav Satan has cleared waivers and been recalled by Pittsburgh as the Penguins end the regular season and head to the playoffs.

The move was announced Friday.

Satan had 17 goals and 19 assists in 65 games with Pittsburgh before being sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL in a salary cap move at the March 4 trading deadline.

Satan was demoted after Pittsburgh picked up forwards Bill Guerin, Chris Kunitz and Craig Adams before the deadline.

At Wilkes-Barre, Satan had three goals and six assists in 10 games.

He rejoins the Penguins in time for Saturday's regular-season finale at Montreal and the start of the playoffs next week. He has 15 goals and 23 assists in 56 career playoff games.

Fire Haley
04-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Satan vs. The Devils

- has a nice ring to it.

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Excellent! :applaudit: I never really understood why the Pens demoted Satan in the first place.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4059365&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

Penguins call up Satan

PITTSBURGH -- Longtime NHL forward Miroslav Satan has cleared waivers and been recalled by Pittsburgh as the Penguins end the regular season and head to the playoffs.

The move was announced Friday.

Satan had 17 goals and 19 assists in 65 games with Pittsburgh before being sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL in a salary cap move at the March 4 trading deadline.

Satan was demoted after Pittsburgh picked up forwards Bill Guerin, Chris Kunitz and Craig Adams before the deadline.

At Wilkes-Barre, Satan had three goals and six assists in 10 games.

He rejoins the Penguins in time for Saturday's regular-season finale at Montreal and the start of the playoffs next week. He has 15 goals and 23 assists in 56 career playoff games.

They demoted him to make room for Guerin's contract, otherwise they'd have been over the salary cap. They also promised him that he'd be recalled in time for the playoffs if he agreed to the demotion, because a team can carry up to 30 players on the active roster in the playoffs without any salary cap restrictions. He's probably going to play on the 4th line, and if so, he's going to have to prove that he can play with grit and intensity, because he has a history of disappearing in the playoffs. If he can provide that along with some scoring, that 4th line with him, Dupuis and Talbot could be lethal.

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 03:34 PM
They demoted him to make room for Guerin's contract, otherwise they'd have been over the salary cap. They also promised him that he'd be recalled in time for the playoffs if he agreed to the demotion, because a team can carry up to 30 players on the active roster in the playoffs without any salary cap restrictions. He's probably going to play on the 4th line, and if so, he's going to have to prove that he can play with grit and intensity, because he has a history of disappearing in the playoffs. If he can provide that along with some scoring, that 4th line with him, Dupuis and Talbot could be lethal.

I, for one, am glad he's back. I think he's a much better overall player than Craig Adams, who I have not been impressed at all with.

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Latest updates:

Flyers 3
Isles 2 (FINAL)

Devils 3
Canes 2 (FINAL)

Pens now sitting at the 5th seed with the Canes' loss. Philly holding on to that 4th seed with one more game left to play tomorrow against the Rags.

Let's finish out the reg season with a big W over the Habs tonight! :banana:

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Pens win tonight, get some help from the Rags by beating the Flyers in regulation tomorrow, and the Pens will be 4th and have a date with the Canes in the first round. If they lose, they get New Jersey in round 1. If they win and the Flyers get at least a point tomorrow, they'll be 5th and have to start at Philly. I'd like to avoid the Canes if possible, and would much rather have New Jersey than any of them.

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I, for one, am glad he's back. I think he's a much better overall player than Craig Adams, who I have not been impressed at all with.

I haven't been impressed at all with Adams either, and Satan is definitely a better player. I just want to see him prove that he can elevate his game in the playoffs, if and when he's in the lineup, because it only helps the team.

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd like to avoid the Canes if possible, and would much rather have New Jersey than any of them.

I'd love another date with Brodeur! :thumbsup: However, I wouldn't mind playing the Flyers either.

Game's about to start.

LETS GO PENS! :applaudit::tt03:

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Roger Doucet has an AWESOME voice. Whenever the Pens are playing in Montreal, I never miss him singing our National Anthem, followed by Oh Canada, and I can't help but sing along to both. His voice gives me goosebumps! :thumbsup::applaudit::hatsoff:

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
GENO SCORES on a rebound from a Sergie Gonchar shot on goal!!! :banana: Pens up 1-0. :thumbsup:

Geno is now at 113 points and 5 ahead of O-Shit-Can.

Take that shitball Habs fans!

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Habs tie it up 1-1 with a little over 2 left in the 1st. Puck hits Hal Gill and goes in the net. :banging:

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
You know, there have been some BS from some fans that the Pens may "tank" this game to avoid playing the Flyers. Yeah right! :jerkit: They sure as hell haven't looked like it tonight, and besides, the Pens couldn't give a flip who they play in the first round.

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Pens outshooting the Habs 29-10 so far. If not for Price, the Pens would have 4 or 5 goals by now.

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Price with an absolutely ridiculous glove save on Cooke and then robbed Guerin later in the period. Pens are dominating the game, but Price has been unbelievable. Hopefully they can get a couple past him in the 3rd and win this thing.

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Pens outshooting the Habs 29-10 so far. If not for Price, the Pens would have 4 or 5 goals by now.

Geez Louise- Price is definitely playing outstanding goal tonight. He's stopped 33 of 34 shots through 2 periods thus far. :shake01: Pens have to keep pressuring him and taking those shots at every opportunity.

Let me guess - the morons who are saying the Pens want to "tank" this game so that they can play the Flyers are over at HF.com? :jerkit: I've read that board on occasion and I have to say - some of the dumbest (and biggest FWF's) "fans" ever to watch a hockey game post over there.

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Dupuis steals the puck on a Habs PP, passes to Talbot and he shoots and scores!!!!

Pens up 2-1 halfway through the 3rd. :banana:

Looks like our Geno is going to win the Art Ross! Less than 6 minutes left in the Caps/Panthers game and AO only has 1 point.

GRATS Geno! :drink:

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Another shorthanded goal for the Pens! Great move and slapshot by Letang!!! Pens up 3-1! WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

KeiselPower99
04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Hot damn!!!!! That last goal was absolutly beautiful

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
AO scores a goal - 4 minutes left in the game. No worries - Geno's the champ!

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Another shorthanded goal for the Pens! Great move and slapshot by Letang!!! Pens up 3-1! WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

I can't remember the last time, or any time, the Pens scored twice shorthanded on the same penalty. I'll have to look that up, but man, that was beautiful to see! Price had been stoning the Pens until then, but the goal by Talbot he had no chance on, and the Letang goal...well, a player should never score from there. Price has a big problem with giving up goals like that.

The Panthers/Caps game is in the books, and Geno is officially the scoring champion! Congrats Geno! He's led the league in scoring for almost 5 months - pretty damn impressive!

Pittsburghfan
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Congrats to Malkin on the Art Ross, hopefully 3 more trophies come too.
The Hart, Lester B. Pearson, and Lord Stanley's Cup!

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Pens are going to play the Flyers. If the Flyers lose tomorrow, we have home ice advantage. I hate having to root for the Rags tomorrow, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. :chuckle:

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Congrats to Malkin on the Art Ross, hopefully 3 more trophies come too.
The Hart, Lester B. Pearson, and Lord Stanley's Cup!

He deserves the MVP trophy but that warthog in Washington will most likely get it. The media is in love with him. Blech.

Godfather
Pens are going to play the Flyers. If the Flyers lose tomorrow, we have home ice advantage. I hate having to root for the Rags tomorrow, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. :chuckle:

I'm rooting for the meteor.

Pittsburghfan
Malkin's interviews are always gold.

Not Pens but Miami (OH) was beating BU 3-1 in the NCAA national championship game, BU scored 2 goals with the goalie pulled. Going into OT now, it is on ESPN.

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Oh yeah, but even if they don't, I still like our chances against Philly. The Pens won the last 2 games there this season and just beat the Habs in Montreal in a tough environment, so I don't think they'll have any problem if they have to start on the road.

He deserves the MVP trophy but that warthog in Washington will most likely get it. The media is in love with him. Blech.

Sadly, you're right. Some will even give it to him just because he closed the gap in the last 2 weeks and lost by 3 points, because they love him so damn much. Geno led the league in scoring from November 15 on, and it won't matter. He may win the Pearson, though, because the players vote on that, and a lot of them didn't like OV's staged 50th goal celebration.

HometownGal
04-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Sadly, you're right. Some will even give it to him just because he closed the gap in the last 2 weeks and lost by 3 points, because they love him so damn much. Geno led the league in scoring from November 15 on, and it won't matter. He may win the Pearson, though, because the players vote on that, and a lot of them didn't like OV's staged 50th goal celebration.

I respect him for his talent, but I can't stand his grandstanding and some of the cheap shit he gets away with just because he's AO. Sid got punched in the head several times tonight and it was never called - if that had been the little warthog, they'd have been sent straight to the sin bin. Though I never like to see any professional athlete hurt, someone is going to run AO one of these days and he won't get a drop of pity from me.

X-Terminator
04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I respect him for his talent, but I can't stand his grandstanding and some of the cheap shit he gets away with just because he's AO. Sid got punched in the head several times tonight and it was never called - if that had been the little warthog, they'd have been sent straight to the sin bin. Though I never like to see any professional athlete hurt, someone is going to run AO one of these days and he won't get a drop of pity from me.

OV gets away with at least 2 charges every game, and he never gets called for hitting people from behind. So many of the Crosby haters whine and bitch about him getting "preferential treatment" from the refs and league (which is ridiculous), but OV for the most part gets a free pass from the same people because he plays a tougher game. Please. :puke:

Fire Haley
04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
2 SH goals on one PP.

amazing

Don Cherry even had something nice to say about Sid on Hockey Night in Canada.
"He's a real hockey player now, not just a goal scorer"

pittsburghp8baller
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, but even if they don't, I still like our chances against Philly. The Pens won the last 2 games there this season and just beat the Habs in Montreal in a tough environment, so I don't think they'll have any problem if they have to start on the road.

it is sad that OV will win the MVP just because of the media's love affair with OV.

But i think Malkin will def get the Pearson, which if i was a player i would want that more because the people that go out night in and night out and does what he does believe that he is the best player.

Congrats on Geno for winning the scoring title, dont soak in the glory we got a tough series against Philly coming up.

How bout my boy Letang!!!! What a Shot!!!!!!

pittsburghp8baller
04-11-2009, 10:24 PM
2 SH goals on one PP.

amazing

Don is starting to come around with Sid, i think he jus needed some1 else to bash other than Sid and now Don has OV.

SteelCityMan786
04-11-2009, 10:57 PM
2 SH goals on one PP.

amazing

Amen Don Cherry.

X-Terminator
04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Thank you Rangers - they beat the Flyers in regulation, so the Pens get home ice! Yes!!! :thumbsup::tt03:

SteelCityMan786
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you Rangers - they beat the Flyers in regulation, so the Pens get home ice! Yes!!! :thumbsup::tt03:

Game 1 is to be played either Wednesday or Thursday. Official word comes tonight.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
So the beards have started.

Fire Haley
04-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Cryers fans are crying already.

The Pittsburgh Bettmans are gonna destroy us.

ha ha!

X-Terminator
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Cryers fans are crying already.

The Pittsburgh Bettmans are gonna destroy us.

ha ha!

Yeah, it's already started:

"The Pens are Buttman's favorite team"
"The refs love the Pens and will screw the Flyers"
"Crosby is a whiny bitch diver who always gets preferential treatment"

And so on...

Ugh. I think I'll be hanging out here for the series, thank you very much. I don't have much patience for that bullshit.

Edman
04-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Game 1 is in Pittsburgh. Sweet. Hottest team entering the playoffs with home ice advantage? Can't get any better than that. Besides getting Lord Stanley of course.

I don't understand why people keep calling Crosby a whiner diver. But whatever, Philly fans aren't exactly the most brightest bunch out there next to Browns fans in terms of delusional hatred.

Phuck the Cryers.

Crushzilla
04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Game 1 is in Pittsburgh. Sweet. Hottest team entering the playoffs with home ice advantage? Can't get any better than that. Besides getting Lord Stanley of course.

I don't understand why people keep calling Crosby a whiner diver. But whatever, Philly fans aren't exactly the most brightest bunch out there next to Browns fans in terms of delusional hatred.

Phuck the Cryers.

Of the top 5 teams in the conference I see Philly being the least ideal match-up. I'm glad the Pens will have home ice for that series.

I can't help but think that the Bruins will follow suit and choke.

Pens/Caps would be a good match-up, but I feel like they can get it done on the road.

The Devils are a little too shaky.

I would feel alright losing home-ice advantage to any three of those teams.

This panned out nicely. I couldn't be happier about where the Pens landed going into the second season.

HometownGal
04-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm very happy that we got the home ice advantage and will play the Flyers in the first round. :thumbsup: Though I don't think we're going to beat 'em 4 straight, as I believe this is going to be a VERY physical series and the Flyers aren't going to roll over and play dead, I think we'll definitely take 'em in 6.

It gags me to say this, but . . . .

THANK YOU RAGS! :drink:

SteelCityMan786
04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm very happy that we got the home ice advantage and will play the Flyers in the first round. :thumbsup: Though I don't think we're going to beat 'em 4 straight, as I believe this is going to be a VERY physical series and the Flyers aren't going to roll over and play dead, I think we'll definitely take 'em in 6.

It gags me to say this, but . . . .

THANK YOU RAGS! :drink:

It will be something along the lines of a 5-6 game series with a Penguins win should they play as solid as they have in the past month.

Oh and Philly fans, I'm not buying your gripes.

X-Terminator
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM

Phuck the Cryers.

I think FS76's "Whiny Assed Crybaby's Primer to NFL Officiating" applies here as well:

The Whiny-Assed Crybaby's Primer to NHL Officiating

1. Any and every call and no-call which benefits any and every opponent of the Penguins is always 100% correct and fair.

2. Any and every call and no-call which benefits the Penguins in any way, shape or form, are never correct and always the result of paid-off refs and unfair favoritism by the NHL and the Penguins-loving media.

fansince'76
04-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, it's already started:

"The Pens are Buttman's favorite team"
"The refs love the Pens and will screw the Flyers"
"Crosby is a whiny bitch diver who always gets preferential treatment"

And so on...

Ugh. I think I'll be hanging out here for the series, thank you very much. I don't have much patience for that bullshit.

Odd - Cards and Squawks fans also follow the Flyers? :noidea:

X-Terminator
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Odd - Cards and Squawks fans also follow the Flyers? :noidea:

For being alleged "tough, blue-collar fans," they whine and cry just as much, that's for sure. Maybe even more. Your primer probably applies more to the Penguins than the Steelers based on what I've seen.

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Wow, I had no clue there were pro hockey teams called the Blue Jackets and the Wild. :chuckle:

Some hockey fan I am, I guess. I do root for the Pens though.

X-Terminator
04-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, I had no clue there were pro hockey teams called the Blue Jackets and the Wild. :chuckle:

Some hockey fan I am, I guess. I do root for the Pens though.

I can understand not hearing about the Blue Jackets - it's their first postseason appearance in franchise history. In fact, 4 of the playoff teams in the West did not make the playoffs last season (Columbus, St. Louis, Chicago, Vancouver), whereas in the East, Carolina is the only team in the field that did not make the playoffs last season.

trauben
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
5 months ago I was so frustrated and never would have thought we had an honest chance to get into the playoffs let alone come away with the home ice advantage, too!

Don't you love it? I say this is the year we bring Lord Stanley home!

Pittsburghfan
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
5 months ago I was so frustrated and never would have thought we had an honest chance to get into the playoffs let alone come away with the home ice advantage, too!

Don't you love it? I say this is the year we bring Lord Stanley home!

If Sykora wakes up, Satan plays well, the whole team plays outstanding. I think this is the year. I have that feeling!

trauben
04-13-2009, 11:50 AM
If Sykora wakes up, Satan plays well, the whole team plays outstanding. I think this is the year. I have that feeling!
Okay, I'll admit this now, but around November-December I made a statement to a co-worker and he laughed at me, but I couldn't help feeling that despite our crappy season at that point, that maybe this was going to be a surprising season. Okay, I was really hoping hard for it, too!

I recalled how after making the playoffs and getting kicked out promptly in the first round back in 2007, it seemed that Sid and company came back with a vengeance to do it right last year in 2008 by making it to the Stanley Cup Final. Now I'm hoping that Sid and company, now that they've squeaked back into the playoffs, will come back again to take it all the way! What a feat that would be.

Oh, and if we do end up bringing Lord Stanley back to the Burgh? That would be the sweetest thing to rub in Hosser's face with his one year deal with the Wings! :chuckle:

Pittsburghfan
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh, and if we do end up bringing Lord Stanley back to the Burgh? That would be the sweetest thing to rub in Hosser's face with his one year deal with the Wings! :chuckle:

It would be even more awesome if the Blue Jackets eliminated the Wings in the first round.

trauben
04-13-2009, 02:22 PM
It would be even more awesome if the Blue Jackets eliminated the Wings in the first round.
That would be SWEET justice! What was it the hose-bag said? That he wanted to be with a team that would be a contender for the Cup in the next 5 years? What a slap! And to slap at us for the next 5 years? It would be sweet if his wings fell and he didn't even make it! :chuckle:

I saw some guy this past fall wearing a #18 HOSSA jersey to one of the games. He obviously bought it last year when we thought Hoser would be with us for a while longer (as he led us all to believe), and instead of getting rid of a nice new jersey? This guy had taken it somewhere and had, in red huge letters stamped across the numbers .....S.O.B. :toofunny:

X-Terminator
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM

I would laugh...and laugh...and laugh if that happened! It's a distinct possibility too, because neither Conklin nor Osgood have been particularly good this season. In fact, Fleury outplayed both of them. And now that the Wings signed Franzen to an 11-year contract, they may not have enough cap space for That Guy Who Stiffed Us, which would make me laugh even harder! :toofunny:

You know though, this team has a 1992 feel to it - if you recall, the Pens were in danger of not making the playoffs after winning the Cup the previous year (same as this year minus the Cup), pulled off a major trade (traded for Rick Tocchet, Kjell Samuelsson and Ken Wregget in 1992; traded for Chris Kunitz and Bill Guerin this year) and ended up getting into the playoffs. We all know what happened that year. :tt02: Can it happen again? It certainly could! Realistically though, I don't have any expectations of them going in other than that they play hard every night, which I have no doubt that they will.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Can't wait until Wednesday. Need to hold the home ice advantage. I want the Wings in the SCF as well. For some reason I don't see the Wings making it this year. Of course, I am probably wrong.

Fire Haley
04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
almost forgot - Congrats to Malkin.

Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin

http://nhldoki.wbl.sk/Awards/ArtRossWhiteB.jpg

trauben
04-14-2009, 03:41 PM

Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Not bad for a team who's 42nd birthday is coming up soon to have 13 of those Art Ross Trophies!

We tie with only 2 other teams (Oilers and Bruins) to hold the longest consecutive run of seven straight years. Of course Gretzky holds that run for the Bruins alone whereas Lemieux and Jagr share it for the Pens. Just imagine if Mario hadn't had come down with Hodgkin's disease????

Anyway, I second that .................... hats off to ya Evgeni!!! :hatsoff:

HometownGal
04-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin

http://nhldoki.wbl.sk/Awards/ArtRossWhiteB.jpg

Geno is now a member of a pretty select group of Pens players (though I hate seeing Fagomir's name there. :yuck:). He should get the Hart, too, but we all know who's going to skate off with that trophy . . . .again. :shake02:

pittsburghp8baller
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Not bad for a team who's 42nd birthday is coming up soon to have 13 of those Art Ross Trophies!

We tie with only 2 other teams (Oilers and Bruins) to hold the longest consecutive run of seven straight years. Of course Gretzky holds that run for the Bruins alone whereas Lemieux and Jagr share it for the Pens. Just imagine if Mario hadn't had come down with Hodgkin's disease????
Anyway, I second that .................... hats off to ya Evgeni!!! :hatsoff:

Mario still won the scoring title that year. He was so far ahead of everyone, when he came back he was only 12 points behind the leader.

congrats to Geno, but now time to focus on Philly. Scoring titles dont mean nothing in the regular season, just wins. 16 wins to be specific

Fire Haley
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Let's not forget.

This is Sid's team, if they want The Cup

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2007/08/Crosby%20trophies.JPG

pittsburghp8baller
04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Let's not forget.

This is Sid's team, if they want The Cup

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2007/08/Crosby%20trophies.JPG

well lets also not forget, one man cant win the cup. if we have any chances of winning the cup, we are gonna need more than Sid to step. we are gonna need every1 from Sid down to TK and Dupuis to step up

Fire Haley
04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
That's what I mean.

The Stars have to step up.

We can't rely on the 3rd and 4th lines to get leads all the time like we've been doing.

Shoot the puck Sid!

trauben
04-15-2009, 08:47 AM
IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY!
http://www.cool-layouts.net/graphics/cat/NHL/Pittsburgh-Penguins-logo.gif

LETS GO PENS! :tt02:
LETS GO PENS! :tt03:
LETS GO PENS! :tt02:

Man I'm pumped!:yeehaw:

Steel Head
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I am so jacked up for tonight's game

GO PENS!!!!

stlrtruck
04-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Well with everything the way it has been during the season, I guess this would be a good place to say...

MUST WINE, CAN NO LOSE ANYMORE GAMES!!!!

trauben
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Well with everything the way it has been during the season, I guess this would be a good place to say...

MUST WINE, CAN NO LOSE ANYMORE GAMES!!!!

Wine? Red or White my friend? :wink02:

I just feel it in my bones.................this is the year we celebrate the City of Champions again!

Sid is going to go back and do it right!!!

http://msnsmileys.net/c/smileys/Crossed_Fingers/Crossed_Fingers_2.jpg

stlrtruck
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Wine? Red or White my friend? :wink02:

I just feel it in my bones.................this is the year we celebrate the City of Champions again!

Sid is going to go back and do it right!!!

http://msnsmileys.net/c/smileys/Crossed_Fingers/Crossed_Fingers_2.jpg

Make mine red, it can be a reminder of all the blood left on the ice for the destruction the pens leave behind.

trauben
04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Make mine red, it can be a reminder of all the blood left on the ice for the destruction the pens leave behind.
You know they'll be plenty of fights. Theres no love lost between these two especially with the Flyers wanting revenge for being kicked out of the playoffs last year by us!

This will all be about "going to a fight and watching a hockey game break out!" :popcorn:

X-Terminator
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Thought I'd post this here rather than the Pens/Flyers thread - Bylsma has been given the HC job:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have removed the “interim” tag from Dan Bylsma’s title and formally named him head coach on Tuesday.

Bylsma had served as interim head coach since Feb. 15.

“Dan has done such an impressive job with our team, both on and off the ice, that we didn’t see the need to wait any longer to announce our decision,” said Ray Shero, the Penguins’ executive vice president and general manager. “He is the man we want to lead the Pittsburgh Penguins as our head coach.”

Bylsma, 38, has overseen a dramatic transformation in the Penguins’ fortunes, leading his team to an 18-3-4 record in the final 25 games of the regular season and earning the No. 4 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference. The Penguins ousted the Philadelphia Flyers, four games to two, in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs – posting a dramatic come-from-behind victory in Game 6 Saturday -- and are now awaiting their opponent in round two.

Bylsma and Shero agreed on a multi-year contract Monday night. The team was informed before practice Tuesday morning.

“Dan has impressed us all with his knowledge of the game, his relentless work ethic, his communication skills, and his ability to relate to the players and staff,” Shero said. “When Badger Bob Johnson was the coach of the Penguins, he said every day was a great day for hockey. Dan approaches the game with that same type of enthusiasm. He accepted the challenge of being our interim head coach in February and made this a very easy decision for our ownership and management.”

Bylsma began the season as head coach of the Penguins’ American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He led the Baby Penguins to a 35-16-1-2 record before being promoted in mid-February.

Bylsma spent the previous two seasons as an assistant coach with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and earlier served as an assistant coach with the New York Islanders and the AHL Cincinnati Mighty Ducks.

The native of Grand Haven, Mich. played nine NHL seasons as a right winger with Los Angeles and Anaheim from 1995-2004. He appeared in 429 career NHL games and played in the 2003 Stanley Cup Final with Anaheim. He retired as a player following the 2003-04 season and immediately went into coaching.

Dan and his wife, Mary Beth, have one son, Bryan.

“I want to thank Ray Shero and our ownership for giving me this tremendous opportunity to be the head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins,” Bylsma said. “I’m humbled. I’m excited. And I look forward to continuing to lead our hockey team.

“We’ve got a great group of players and a great staff. We’ve got phenomenal fans and a state-of-the-art arena going up across the street. The future is bright for hockey in Pittsburgh, and my family and I are happy to be a part of it.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=420443

pittsburghp8baller
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Thought I'd post this here rather than the Pens/Flyers thread - Bylsma has been given the HC job:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=420443

Congrats to Bylsma, he deserved it.

Fire Haley
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Smooth move. You got us through the 1st rd. You got the job.

Way to go dude!

trauben
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/02/byslma-rotator.jpg
Great job "COACH"!
:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

What I find interesting is that this comes the morning after the interviews I watched last night on the local news. Dan was being asked about the "Interim" tag still being attached. His response was very classy. He basically stated that it didn't bother him and he was happy to be called "Coach" for another day.

Now, the day after that interview on the local news the Pens make it official? Think the local news media prompted the Pens front office? No matter..................it's about time!

Bring on the next rounds of the playoffs! :drink:

Edman
04-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks to Carolina's win, the Penguins are going to face the Craps.

trauben
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
The top three scorers playing against each other.

Talk about an NHL dream! No Viagra for the guys in the NHL's front offices! :wink02:

No home ice though. Still, I predict we go six games with them at the least. I hope just six. I don't need no heart attack over a 7th game with Ovechkin.

HometownGal
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/02/byslma-rotator.jpg
Great job "COACH"!
:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

What I find interesting is that this comes the morning after the interviews I watched last night on the local news. Dan was being asked about the "Interim" tag still being attached. His response was very classy. He basically stated that it didn't bother him and he was happy to be called "Coach" for another day.

Now, the day after that interview on the local news the Pens make it official? Think the local news media prompted the Pens front office? No matter..................it's about time!

Bring on the next rounds of the playoffs! :drink:

I'm very happy for Bylsma and feel he has more than earned his reward! :drink: I wasn't happy when the Pens fired Therrien the way they did, but it obviously was the right move.

Bylsma is a very classy guy who has had such a huge impact on this team. I'm looking forward to many more years of him at the helm. :applaudit::hatsoff:

trauben
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I know what you mean HTG. When I heard Therrien was fired, I was shocked. After all, he took them all the way last year (despite our falling short but having played defiantly strong at the end).

I was nervous about who was going to come in. When I heard it was the Baby Pens' coach? I thought, "hmmm." It made sense. He had been winning down there as well. They saw more than we did. And if Therrien was still HC? Guerrin wouldn't be with us and he's had a good impact with us.

I guess that's why they're the ones in charge. LOL!

pittsburghp8baller
04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
im actually really excited to be playing the Caps, the chance to knock them out is exciting alone, I also may be attending my first ever playoff hockey game!

Fire Haley
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm just happy that the Rangers Flyers and Devils are all gone.

I hate all those teams and their yappy fans.

pittsburghp8baller
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM

wait,

The Devils have fans?

Who Knew :noidea:

Every home game it looks like they are a consistent bottom feeder in the standings with how few amount of people are doing. No one is willing to admit they follow a team that play such a 'boring' style of hockey

HometownGal
04-29-2009, 11:24 AM

With regard to the Flyers and Rags - yes, but I really wanted to play the Devs. I love Brodeur but the Pens seem to have his number.

Caps fans are jackasses and we'll have to listen to that freakin' airhorn during their home games, which shouldn't be permitted during play anyway, but it is. :mad: That HAS to be distracting to the players. I know it annoys the living shit outta me.

Fire Haley
04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
"I love Brodeur"

He'll need a tissue right about now

X-Terminator
04-29-2009, 12:29 PM
With regard to the Flyers and Rags - yes, but I really wanted to play the Devs. I love Brodeur but the Pens seem to have his number.

Caps fans are jackasses and we'll have to listen to that freakin' airhorn during their home games, which shouldn't be permitted during play anyway, but it is. :mad: That HAS to be distracting to the players. I know it annoys the living shit outta me.

God I HATE that damn airhorn! Canes fans do it too, not as loud, but just as annoying. I don't know how they're able to get away with that during play.

X-Terminator
06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Pens have re-signed Craig Adams:

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Craig Adams to a two-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Adams, 32, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Craig Adams Photo Gallery
The gritty Adams played a key support role in the Penguins’ drive to the Stanley Cup, chipping in three goals and two assists for five points in 24 playoff games. After being claimed on waivers from the Chicago Blackhawks on March 4, he played nine regular-season games for the Penguins and recorded one assist.

In 507 NHL games over eight seasons with Carolina, Chicago and Pittsburgh, Adams has registered 37 goals and 53 assists for 90 points with 383 penalty minutes. He also won a Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006.

“Craig is a steady, reliable, physical player who was an important part of our mix this season,” Shero said. “He plays with a lot of grit, but he also contributed some key goals in the playoffs and was very effective as a penalty-killer. We’re glad to be able to sign him for two more years.”

A native of Seria, Brunei who grew up in Calgary, Adams played four seasons of college hockey at Harvard. He was the final draft pick of the Hartford Whalers’ franchise, going 233rd overall in 1996.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=432148

And...Billy Guerin!

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with right wing Bill Guerin on a one-year contract, it was announced tonight by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Guerin, 38, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

A veteran of 17 NHL seasons, Guerin played a major role in the Penguins’ Stanley Cup run, contributing seven goals and 15 points in 24 playoff games and providing exceptional leadership on and off the ice.

The 6-2, 220-pound native of Worcester, MA was acquired from the New York Islanders at the March 4 trading deadline in exchange for a third-round draft pick and immediately was installed as the right wing on Sidney Crosby’s line. He recorded five goals and 12 points in 17 regular season games with the Penguins.

Overall in 2008-09, Guerin had 21 goals and 48 points in 78 regular-season games with the Penguins and Islanders.

“We are excited to agree to terms with Billy on this one-year deal,” Shero said. “He made a tremendous impact on this team with his scoring ability, physical play and outstanding leadership and was a key factor in our drive to the Cup. I know our players, coaches and fans will be happy to have him back in Pittsburgh.”

Guerin has played 1,185 career NHL games with New Jersey, Edmonton, Boston, Dallas, St. Louis, San Jose, the Islanders and the Penguins, recording 408 goals, 403 assists, 811 points and 1,585 penalty minutes. He represented the U.S. in the Olympics in 1998, 2002 and 2006.

(had to bold the Stanley Cup Champion part, because it still feels oh so good! :tt02:)

trauben
06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I was damned glad to hear that Billy was staying! That's a nice signing indeed!!!!! He and Sid worked so well together!

HometownGal
06-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm ecstatic that the Pens have signed Billy G to another year! :banana: :applaudit::hatsoff: He fast became a players and a fan fave here in the Burgh. He is one of the Pens best FA signings EVER (next to my Sarge, of course! :wink02:)

I'm also happy with the Adams re-signing. I wasn't too keen on him the first few weeks he was here, but he worked his ass off during the playoffs and did a great job!

Any news on Scuds? Gosh I pray that they find a way to keep him. :hope:

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm ecstatic that the Pens have signed Billy G to another year! :banana: :applaudit::hatsoff: He fast became a players and a fan fave here in the Burgh. He is one of the Pens best FA signings EVER (next to my Sarge, of course! :wink02:)

I'm also happy with the Adams re-signing. I wasn't too keen on him the first few weeks he was here, but he worked his ass off during the playoffs and did a great job!

Any news on Scuds? Gosh I pray that they find a way to keep him. :hope:

sorry HTG. the only news on scuds is that him and Orpik have been invited to team USA camp. I have been cycling around all the 'rumor' sites to see if anything has come up. All signs point to him testing the market, ill post anything i hear.

X-Terminator
06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Yeah, it's looking like both Scuds and Gill may be gone. If you look at the Pens' thinking on this, they would be paying a lot of money to a 3rd D pairing, which is what they would be on the team, their play in the playoffs notwithstanding. Plus, re-signing Goligoski pretty much guarantees him a spot in the lineup, so they feel they can find a decent, cheaper veteran blueliner to play with him. Scuds will probably get between $3.5-$4 million per season, and that's more than the Pens are and should be willing to pay for a 3rd pairing D-man, considering that they'll probably need to sign a winger to replace Tank if he leaves. It'll suck seeing him leave, but you just can't keep everyone with the salary cap as it is.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, it's looking like both Scuds and Gill may be gone. If you look at the Pens' thinking on this, they would be paying a lot of money to a 3rd D pairing, which is what they would be on the team, their play in the playoffs notwithstanding. Plus, re-signing Goligoski pretty much guarantees him a spot in the lineup, so they feel they can find a decent, cheaper veteran blueliner to play with him. Scuds will probably get between $3.5-$4 million per season, and that's more than the Pens are and should be willing to pay for a 3rd pairing D-man, considering that they'll probably need to sign a winger to replace Tank if he leaves. It'll suck seeing him leave, but you just can't keep everyone with the salary cap as it is.

you think the pens will bring somebody in or would you rather see them run a combo of Ben Lovejoy/Alex Grant and any other prospect we have coming up this season? We have a real solid top 4, who i think can eat some minutes up which will allow us to have two young D-man on our team.

Real interesting to see what the Pens do in FA, lots of posibilities for the team.

X-Terminator
07-06-2009, 07:37 PM
And now, for some bad news - Max Talbot will be having shoulder surgery and will miss the first month of the season:

Per a June 14 entry on Talbot’s RDS blog (translated by the good guys at PensBurgh: “First, I’m going to have my shoulder operated on in two weeks. I have a golf tournament on July 3 and I will also have a day with the cup.”

Then, per French Canadian radio (again, translated by PensBurgh): “Talbot will undergo a shoulder operation in the coming days and is expected to miss the first month of the season.”

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburgh-penguins/3057/talbot-to-miss-first-month-of-season

Nice. :doh: Can we for once get through an offseason without having someone needing surgery and missing the start of the season?

X-Terminator
07-10-2009, 02:21 AM
I'll try the Pens Tidbits thread one more time...

Pens announce 2009 preseason schedule, with home games against Toronto and Columbus. The Leafs game could be fun considering Brian Burke has built quite a collection of tough guys, and that could end up being a fight-filled affair. Please let HTG and I have this game! :hope:

The Stanley Cup champions will open the pre-season against Toronto on Friday, Sept. 18 at Mellon Arena (7:30 p.m.). The Penguins also will play host to Columbus on Friday, Sept. 25 at Mellon Arena (7:30 p.m.)

The six-game schedule includes home-and-home matchups with Toronto and Columbus, as well as road games at Montreal and Detroit.

The Penguins’ 2009 pre-season schedule:

Friday, Sept. 18, TORONTO AT PITTSBURGH, 7:30 p.m.

Monday, Sept. 21, Pittsburgh at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 22, Pittsburgh at Toronto, 7:00 p.m.

Thursday, Sept. 24, Pittsburgh at Columbus, 7:00 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 25, COLUMBUS AT PITTSBURGH, 7:30 p.m.

Sunday, Sept. 27, Pittsburgh at Detroit, 5:00 p.m.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=436624

HometownGal
07-10-2009, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=X-Terminator;624594]I'll try the Pens Tidbits thread one more time...

Pens announce 2009 preseason schedule, with home games against Toronto and Columbus. The Leafs game could be fun considering Brian Burke has built quite a collection of tough guys, and that could end up being a fight-filled affair. Please let HTG and I have this game! :hope:

Oooooo - I'm hoping we get this game too! :hope: :banana: I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it! LOL! :chuckle:

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
FYI - the Pens DVD came out yesterday

pittsburghp8baller
07-10-2009, 12:31 PM

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=436624

Looks like im celebrating my 21st birthday to the Blue Jackets/Penguins game.

Shots for each goal!!!

That is, if the game is even on TV somewhere

KeiselPower99
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Are the preseason games worth going to?

X-Terminator
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Are the preseason games worth going to?

If you want to see some of the prospects and a bunch of gloves hitting the ice, then absolutely. If you're going to watch Crosby, Malkin, Staal, et. al, then prepare to be disappointed because not all of them will be in the lineup at the same time for any of the preseason games except maybe the last preseason game against Detroit.

KeiselPower99
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I might try to make it up for the Columbus game.

SteelCityMan786
07-10-2009, 02:47 PM
And now, for some bad news - Max Talbot will be having shoulder surgery and will miss the first month of the season:

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburgh-penguins/3057/talbot-to-miss-first-month-of-season

Nice. :doh: Can we for once get through an offseason without having someone needing surgery and missing the start of the season?

At least he won't have to miss so much time like Gonchar did fortunately. Not to mention he at least is taking care of this now compared to the middle of the season.

Fire Haley
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Sid talks about his injury

What is the update on your injury?

It feels pretty good. I've been getting treatment here. I'm probably two weeks from being able to go full out. It's basically a bruise, a deep bruise, right above my knee. There was no structural damage to my knee, but it has the feel of a muscle detachment all up my leg.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_632145.html

It was Game 7 when you were hurt, but how much time would you have missed had this injury happened earlier in the playoffs?

That's pretty hard to say because we're talking about the playoffs; you play if you can. I would guess maybe a week, because it's almost a month later, and I still don't feel great on everything -- like deep squats. I'll be ready for training camp, for sure.

X-Terminator
07-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Sid talks about his injury

What is the update on your injury?

It feels pretty good. I've been getting treatment here. I'm probably two weeks from being able to go full out. It's basically a bruise, a deep bruise, right above my knee. There was no structural damage to my knee, but it has the feel of a muscle detachment all up my leg.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_632145.html

It was Game 7 when you were hurt, but how much time would you have missed had this injury happened earlier in the playoffs?

That's pretty hard to say because we're talking about the playoffs; you play if you can. I would guess maybe a week, because it's almost a month later, and I still don't feel great on everything -- like deep squats. I'll be ready for training camp, for sure.

That's good to hear. I'd just like to get through TC with everyone intact since they've already lost Talbot until at least November. I don't need to remind everyone how painful it was watching the team play without Gonchar for 60 games.

X-Terminator
07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
This one's for you, HTG. Don't say I never did anything for ya :wink02::chuckle:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/makhsc/jay-mckee-signing.jpg?t=1247276214

X-Terminator
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Latest Consol Energy Center renderings. Gotta love the black and gold seating bowl!

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=MediaGalleryPlayer&galleryId=11678

SteelMember
07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
It's coming along nicely. Sometimes I check out the time lapse construction cam just to get a look. Although they will undoubtedly rent the space for other events, I'm glad they didn't go generic (like your saying about the seat colors) because this is after all the Penguins Home first and foremost. It seemed to take forever to get it. Glad they're trying to do it up right. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
07-15-2009, 12:04 PM
This one's for you, HTG. Don't say I never did anything for ya :wink02::chuckle:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/makhsc/jay-mckee-signing.jpg?t=1247276214

Hubba fookin' hubba! :lust: :lust: :naughty:

HometownGal
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Latest Consol Energy Center renderings. Gotta love the black and gold seating bowl!

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=MediaGalleryPlayer&galleryId=11678

Awesome!!!! :drink: We should be getting the seating chart soon so we can select our seats! :banana:

X-Terminator
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Awesome!!!! :drink: We should be getting the seating chart soon so we can select our seats! :banana:

We should be getting that sometime within the next month. I can't wait, just to see what the price structure will be like. I just hope they don't make most of the building full-season only - the luxury suites at $150,000+ per season should bring in more than enough cash on top of the club and prime lower-bowl seating.

Also, the schedule is out, and we won't have to wait long to see the Stanley Cup banner raised - the home opener is October 2, less than 3 months away. I can't wait! We will also play Detroit (again), Minnesota and Anaheim twice. The final regular season home game at Mellon Arena is April 8 against the Islanders. We HAVE to find a way to get tickets to that game!

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=442749

SteelCityMan786
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
We should be getting that sometime within the next month. I can't wait, just to see what the price structure will be like. I just hope they don't make most of the building full-season only - the luxury suites at $150,000+ per season should bring in more than enough cash on top of the club and prime lower-bowl seating.

Also, the schedule is out, and we won't have to wait long to see the Stanley Cup banner raised - the home opener is October 2, less than 3 months away. I can't wait! We will also play Detroit (again), Minnesota and Anaheim twice. The final regular season home game at Mellon Arena is April 8 against the Islanders. We HAVE to find a way to get tickets to that game!

I guess I got find a way to record the ceremonies since I find myself with a game night of my own that day(October 2nd)

HometownGal
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM

I'll bitch up a storm if they make the new arena mostly full season - that's not fair to those of us who have faithfully supported the team long before the FWF's decided to hop up on the bandwagon.

Don't you worry - we'll get to that final game at the arena and I'll be sure to bring an extra box of Kleenex - I know I'll most likely need an entire box. I'm going to miss that old barn so much. :crying01:

SteelCityMan786
07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I'll bitch up a storm if they make the new arena mostly full season - that's not fair to those of us who have faithfully supported the team long before the FWF's decided to hop up on the bandwagon.

Don't you worry - we'll get to that final game at the arena and I'll be sure to bring an extra box of Kleenex - I know I'll most likely need an entire box. I'm going to miss that old barn so much. :crying01:

I will miss it to. It was the first place I ever attended a Hockey Game(NHL or other level). I even remember the day of it. February 11, 1999 a 6-5 Overtime game against the Vancouver Canucks. But I digress from there. After seeing all of what the Consol Energy Center has to offer, that just makes me miss The Igloo even more.

X-Terminator
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I will miss it to. It was the first place I ever attended a Hockey Game(NHL or other level). I even remember the day of it. February 11, 1999 a 6-5 Overtime game against the Vancouver Canucks. But I digress from there. After seeing all of what the Consol Energy Center has to offer, that just makes me miss The Igloo even more.

The first event I ever went to was a WWF house show way back in 1982 at the tender age of 7. That was right as the WWF (WWE) really became popular. My first hockey game wasn't until 1996, however. As much as we all will miss the Igloo, it is time for it to go. The cramped concourses, the damn-near 50 year old concession stands, ramps and stairs to each section instead of escalators, only TWO elevators in the entire building, the smell of 25-year-old nacho cheese and beer as you walk up the ramp from gate 3 to gate 1...I won't miss any of that. I'll miss everything else and It'll still be tough to see it go, though. The only thing I hope for more than anything else in Consol is that the seating bowl is almost as intimate as Mellon. That's the main thing I will miss about the Igloo.

KeiselPower99
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Im gonna try to come up when Colorado comes to town I believe it was in December.

Steel Head
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM

I want to see them raise the Cup in the final game at the arena

SteelCityMan786
07-16-2009, 10:15 AM

I'd take that being the final Penguins win at Mellon Arena.

X-Terminator
07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Can't believe this wasn't mentioned yet - Crosby won the ESPY for Best NHL Player. Take that, Capt. Caveman!

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=442883

X-Terminator
07-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Oooooo - I'm hoping we get this game too! :hope: :banana: I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it! LOL! :chuckle:

Well, our wish was granted - we did end up getting this game! Should be a fun one! Also, I noticed that after I sent you our list of games this year, that the Detroit game on Jan. 31 is not on either partial plan, meaning obviously that only full season ticket holders get it automatically. The ones who have Plan B get the final game in their plan though, the lucky bastards. I'm going to see if I can exchange one of our games for the final game; if not, we'll get tickets somehow. I'm not missing that game for anything!

SteelCityMan786
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Your welcome Petr.

"It’s never a good thing when you are coached by a former teammate. On top of that, he used to be a player who drifted around as a fourth-liner. I was younger than him, played on the top line, scored goals, was the little star. Now the roles got reversed, and from the first moment I had a feeling that he let me ‘eat it.’ I honestly say that I have not had liked him even as a teammate. Which does not happen to me often."

Sometimes said former teammate makes a great coach and you can also say you got to enjoy winning a Stanley Cup Championship with them.

Good Riddance Petr. You've just put yourself potentially on the list that once included Marian Hossa.

HometownGal
07-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Your welcome Petr.

Sometimes said former teammate makes a great coach and you can also say you got to enjoy winning a Stanley Cup Championship with them.

Good Riddance Petr. You've just put yourself potentially on the list that once included Marian Hossa.

Would Petr like some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes: I'm shocked that he would take that piss poor attitude. His underachievement (and injuries) last season got him a spot on the bench, so it's time for Petr to man up and grow up. Bylsma doesn't seem to me to be the type of coach that plays games - if you earn a spot in the lineup, you'll get it.

You got your ring Petr - move on and best of luck.

X-Terminator
07-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Would Petr like some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes: I'm shocked that he would take that piss poor attitude. His underachievement (and injuries) last season got him a spot on the bench, so it's time for Petr to man up and grow up. Bylsma doesn't seem to me to be the type of coach that plays games - if you earn a spot in the lineup, you'll get it.

You got your ring Petr - move on and best of luck.

I'm shocked as well that he'd say that. Did Petr make sure to remind everyone that Bylsma kept putting him in the lineup at the end of the season and in the playoffs up until the Washington series despite his struggles and apparent injury? Gee, that's really the mark of a coach who wants you to "eat it." :jerkit: Maybe you should deal with the situation the way Miro Satan did after being sent to the minors. I know he didn't like it one bit, but he never complained and just waited for his opportunity - an opportunity, BTW, that came at your expense, Petr. And when he got it, he took full advantage of it and played very well, particularly in the Washington series, and played a surprisingly gritty game for a guy with a reputation as a post-season floater. You could have done the same, Petr, acted like a professional...but no, you have to go to the media and whine because of the situation that YOU and YOU ALONE got yourself into.

Good riddance, and have fun playing for a loser. Oh, and you're welcome for that ring you won with your "4th-line floater" as your head coach. You are now in the same category with me as Jaromir Jagr and Marian Hossa.

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Can't believe this wasn't mentioned yet - Crosby won the ESPY for Best NHL Player. Take that, Capt. Caveman!

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=442883

It's about time some people realize who's the best player in the NHL. :drink:

X-Terminator
07-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, the Pens finally have their backup goalie:

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins have signed goaltender Brent Johnson to a one-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Johnson, 32, played 21 games with the Washington Capitals, finishing with a record of 12-6-2 during the 2008-09 season. The veteran goaltender recorded a .908 save percentage along with a 2.81 goals-against average.

The 6-3, 199-pound goaltender has played parts of nine seasons in the NHL with the Washington Capitals, Phoenix Coyotes and the St. Louis Blues from 1998-2009. He has appeared in 247 career contests in the NHL, posting a 111-94-12 record. Johnson has a .903 save percentage along with a 2.63 goals-against average for his career.

Johnson has made 12 post-season appearances in the NHL, posting a record of 5-6. He has a save percentage of .931 and a 1.84 goals-against average during post-season play. He established a St. Louis franchise record with 206:45 consecutive shutout minutes while tying an NHL record during the 2001-02 playoffs when he registered three consecutive shutouts during a playoff series.

The native of Farmington, Michigan is the grandson of NHL Hall of Famer Sid Abel and the son of former Penguins goaltender Bob Johnson. His father played 12 games with Pittsburgh, posting a record of 3-4-1 with a 5.04 goals-against average and a .856 save percentage during the 1974-75 season.

He was originally drafted by the Colorado Avalanche in the fifth round (129th overall) of the 1995 Entry Draft.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=451047

Also, apparently the Sykora/Bylsma thing was made up by a Czech gossip rag: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_634574.html?source=rss&feed=8

KeiselPower99
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I read that they had offered Martin Gerber the backup job.

Steel Head
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
good cheap signing getting Brent Johnson. He can play really well at times but injuries have hindered him often

SteelCityMan786
07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I read that they had offered Martin Gerber the backup job.

Wouldn't take Gerber Baby. He's too fun to bust on anyway.

X-Terminator
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
And for your comic relief of the day, Bobby Clarke of the Broad Street Bullies days and fired GM of the Flyers, weighs in on the Penguins:

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/nhl/3089/are-the-flyers-more-respectable-than-the-penguins

“We didn’t do what Pittsburgh did; lose seven years in a row so they could get good,” he said. “They did it twice, in fact.”

He added: “It’s somewhat embarrassing that three of the last teams (in the 2009 playoffs) missed the playoffs six or seven years in a row; Washington, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. Now they’re good and the teams that try to win all the time get penalized. Our philosophy has never changed since 1967.”

It’s that consistency, Clarke said, that makes his team respectable.

“They went through six or seven different owners,” he said referring to the Penguins. “We’ve had one owner.”

You stay classy, Bobby.

You know, maybe you should worry about your own team rather than cry about the Penguins being able to stockpile championship talent after years of sucking. You will never, EVER hear Mario or anyone else in the Pens' front office say anything like this.

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
You want some Whine with that Cheese Bobby?

Anyone need more comic relief?

What event happened more recently

Our Nation's Bicentenial or the Last time the Flyers won the Stanley Cup?

Bobby is just upset the Penguins are doing it right in terms of building championship teams. You have to build through the draft, grow your own prospects and pick up some extra pieces along the way incase your own system can't fill the role you need them to fill.

Philly won't win the cup until they do that. The days of Broad St. Bully tactics will NOT win a Stanley Cup in today's NHL. Being a physical team does help, but the tactics the Broad St. Bullies had in the 70s that won them two cups, won't work now.

KeiselPower99
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Anyone see this over on yahoo?

Centerville grad crashed Penguins’ Cup party

Years from now, as the Pittsburgh Penguins reminisce about their Stanley Cup championship of 2009, you can imagine one of them looking at pictures from the Game 7 aftermath and saying, “Who’s that guy?”

Chances are the mystery man will be Ryan Kraft, a Washington Twp. resident and lifelong Penguins fan who took advantage of postgame delirium on June 12 to sneak into the winning locker room at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

He has about 40 photos to prove it, including one of him hoisting the Cup and another with Penguins owner Mario Lemieux, his hero. He even got Lemieux to autograph a champagne bottle.

A 32-year-old salesman for the water treatment company RainSoft, Kraft is the leading scorer in Centerville High School hockey history, tallying 343 points from 1992-96. He captained the club hockey team at Wright State, graduating in 2004.

This Penguins devotion comes from his father, attorney Michael Kraft, who educated Ryan about the great Lemieux at an impressionable age. Recently, at the suggestion of his 7-year-old nephew, Akaius, Ryan honored the team’s current superstar by naming one of his dogs Sidney, the other Crosby.

In his words

“After the game, me and my buddies, Brian Fisher and P.J. Paslosky, moved down a little closer to take some pictures. As we’re shooting, the Penguins are skating around with the Cup, then taking a team photo. At this point, family members are let onto the ice.

“So I go over in position where a family member might be, and after about 15 minutes, (defenseman) Philippe Boucher skates over and points to the guy in front of me. When that guy raises his hand, I raise mine. The security guard sees both of us, opens the door and everyone just assumes I’m a relative.

“Once on the ice, it’s open season. I have access to the tunnel back to the locker room and it’s just a big celebration — players everywhere, hanging out, playing music and spraying champagne.

“A couple players pick me up and swing me around. I’m spraying a bottle of champagne. Amazing.

“I’m in the hallway to the locker room and Lemieux is walking right toward me. My heart is racing, getting ready to pound out of my chest. I put my arm around him, put my camera out and snap the picture. That might be my favorite.

“I didn’t know if I had gotten the Cup picture. In the locker room, when the Cup was being passed around, I say to a guy, ‘You’ve got to get my picture with the Cup.’ But the red light on the camera is flashing. I kiss the Cup, put it above my head and the guy takes the picture just as the battery dies. I didn’t know I’d gotten it until I got back to Dayton at 7 in the morning. I was so relieved.

“It’s a great story. I won’t let it die. I take a couple of those pictures with me anywhere I go. It’s fun. What an amazing night, once in a lifetime. I’m glad it happened to me.”

How damn cool would that be? Here is the link to the pics.http://projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/Sports/General/080209ryankraft/

SteelMember
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
:applaudit:

Frickin' awesome!

The guy had some pretty big balls for a midget. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes I did read about that story - it was frickin awesome! I'm so jealous :laughing:

Anyway, rumor has it that the Pens will be starting negotiations with Gonchar and Letang soon. The Pens are apparently offering 3 years and around $10 million, but Gonchar wants 4. I can't really blame the Pens for being hesitant to offer him a 4th year because of the 35+ rule for contracts. If you've never heard of it, if the Pens sign him to an extension, since he is 35 years old at the time of the signing the Pens will be responsible for the entire cap hit should he retire before the contract ends. Gonchar would be 40 at the end of the 4th year, so retirement would be a possibility. However, I don't see him retiring before then unless he gets a career-ending injury, so I think the Pens should relent and give him the 4th year. He has become invaluable to the Pens' D corps, and for all he has done for the organization by taking Malkin under his wing when he came to the U.S., he should be given the opportunity to retire as a Penguin.

As for Letang, there was a rumor that he was going to sign a 5 year, $15 million extension last month, but I guess that has been put on hold until they figure out what Gonchar is going to do - if in fact they did offer him that contract. I think that is a very fair deal if he does sign it.

Steel Head
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM
As for Letang, there was a rumor that he was going to sign a 5 year, $15 million extension last month, but I guess that has been put on hold until they figure out what Gonchar is going to do - if in fact they did offer him that contract. I think that is a very fair deal if he does sign it.

that would be awesome

HometownGal
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes I did read about that story - it was frickin awesome! I'm so jealous :laughing:

Anyway, rumor has it that the Pens will be starting negotiations with Gonchar and Letang soon. The Pens are apparently offering 3 years and around $10 million, but Gonchar wants 4. I can't really blame the Pens for being hesitant to offer him a 4th year because of the 35+ rule for contracts. If you've never heard of it, if the Pens sign him to an extension, since he is 35 years old at the time of the signing the Pens will be responsible for the entire cap hit should he retire before the contract ends. Gonchar would be 40 at the end of the 4th year, so retirement would be a possibility. However, I don't see him retiring before then unless he gets a career-ending injury, so I think the Pens should relent and give him the 4th year. He has become invaluable to the Pens' D corps, and for all he has done for the organization by taking Malkin under his wing when he came to the U.S., he should be given the opportunity to retire as a Penguin.

Gotta sign Serg - he is a key player on D and especially the PP. :hope:

I agree - when they get the details of Serg's contract ironed out, then they really need to concentrate on extending Letang.

Zion21
08-05-2009, 12:23 AM

I would love to see that happen!https://tipgnome.com/images/smile1.gif

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Penguins reschedule game because of G-20
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Because of a conflict with the G-20 Summit, the Penguins have moved their preseason home game against Columbus from Sept. 25 to Sept. 15.

The game against the Blue Jackets, at 7:30 p.m. at Mellon Arena, now will be the team's preseason opener.

The G-20 Summit will be held in Pittsburgh Sept. 24-25.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09217/988724-100.stm#ixzz0NK8CcaGF

SteelMember
08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Penguins hire Granato as assistant coach
Thursday, August 06, 2009
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When Tony Granato was fired by the Colorado Avalanche in early June he vowed patience in seeking a return to coaching in the National Hockey League. If the right opportunity did not come along, Granato had no problem sitting this season out.

But Granato did not have to wait long for a job offer from another NHL team. The Penguins yesterday named Granato as an assistant coach under head coach Dan Bylsma.

"It didn't take long for me to get the batteries recharged," Granato said. "I was lucky. I couldn't have picked a better spot. This is a tremendous organization to be a part of."

Granato had two stints as Colorado's head coach, the second being for one year this past season. He was also the Avalanche head coach from 2002-04 and served as an assistant from 2005-07.

Before entering coaching, Granato played 13 seasons in the NHL with the New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks. Granato and Bylsma were teammates for one season with the Kings in 1995-96.

"I knew Dan from our L.A. days and I respected him as a hard worker and a leave-it-on-the-ice type of player," Granato said. "He put everything into it from a passion standpoint. And as a coach ... we've all seen what he's been able to in his short coaching career."

Granato will not begin his new duties with the Penguins until the last week of August. He is in Lake Placid, N.Y., for the next 10 days working at a junior tryout camp for USA Hockey. After that, he will return for a week to Denver to tie up loose ends before coming to Pittsburgh before the start of training camp.

Granato said he and Bylsma have had preliminary discussions about his specific role on the staff, which also includes assistant Mike Yeo. But he said those details will not be finalized until he arrives and has more discussions with Bylsma.

"I was able to sit down with Mike and Dan, and I admire what they did last season," Granato said. "It was very impressive."

In addition to his previous relationship with Bylsma, Granato also has ties to another former Stanley Cup winning Penguins coach. Granato was recruited to the University of Wisconsin by Bob Johnson in the early 1980s. He never played for Johnson at Wisconsin because Johnson accepted a job with the Calgary Flames shortly before Granato became a Badger.

He was recruited by Johnson again in 1991 to play for Team USA in the Canada Cup and played for him for a short time. But in August of '91, Johnson was diagnosed with brain cancer and died three months later.

Granato, who compiled a career record of 215-104-17-16 as Colorado's head coach, said he does not plan on using his current position as a steppingstone to another head coaching position. He said he is more than happy to be an assistant coach.

"That's the last thing on my mind," he said. "I want to be the best assistant coach I can be and help this organization in any way I can. I'm looking forward to being an assistant coach, and, hopefully, with the Penguins for a long time."

http://postgazette.com/pg/09218/988980-61.stm?cmpid=newspanel2

KeiselPower99
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Granato got the raw deal in Colorado this year. Of course I think he is a better assistant then head coach.

X-Terminator
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Two things immediately jump to my mind when I think of Granato - first, he was head coach of the Avs for the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. And second, there's this:

1vlbjiMfvnY

That earned him a 15-game suspension, and honestly it should have been much more. He was always a dirty, cheap bastard when he played.

That said, I agree that he got stuck with the short straw last year with the Avs, first with all the injuries and then their deciding to rebuild. He is a good hire, and he'll be taking over Tom Fitzgerald's duties, working with the forwards on their defensive coverage and the PK unit.

stlrtruck
08-08-2009, 10:48 AM
So this morning I was watching Game 7 of the SCF and after Talbot scored the goals it still amazes me how many PENS fans were there that night.

Both times, you could hear the "LET'S GO PENS" chant loud and clear. Sent chivers up my spine.

X-Terminator
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
So this morning I was watching Game 7 of the SCF and after Talbot scored the goals it still amazes me how many PENS fans were there that night.

Both times, you could hear the "LET'S GO PENS" chant loud and clear. Sent chivers up my spine.

Yeah, they estimated about 2500 Pens fans made the trip, and they were very loud. You're going to start seeing that more and more if the Pens stay among the elite teams, since tickets are so scarce here and many of the Steelers fans who live in other cities are also Pens fans.