PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

steelpride12
10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Pens win 4 to 1 and are just dominate! Kennedy and Staal are on fire early this season which I think really relieves the Pens when Crosby and Malkin are not on the scoreboard.
Pens records improves to 5 and 1!

4xSBChamps
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Pens' opponent this-coming Saturday evening, Tampa Bay (now 2-1-2), win 3-2, coming from behind, with Malone scoring the game-winner against Floriduh, and Niittymaki gets his 2nd straight start & win:
with me getting the Bolt games on TV, I'll give previews & updates regarding the Lightning as I can, as they play Ottawa Thursday, before headin' to 'da Burgh

I believe that game Saturday night will be the first game this season with the Guins wearing Columbia Blue sweaters

X-Terminator
10-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Pens' opponent this-coming Saturday evening, Tampa Bay (now 2-1-2), win 3-2, coming from behind, with Malone scoring the game-winner against Floriduh, and Niittymaki gets his 2nd straight start & win:
with me getting the Bolt games on TV, I'll give previews & updates regarding the Lightning as I can, as they play Ottawa Thursday, before headin' to 'da Burgh

I believe that game Saturday night will be the first game this season with the Guins wearing Columbia Blue sweaters

You are correct - they will break out the blue sweaters for the first time Saturday night. As for Tampa Bay, they should be much better this year than last, but I still don't think they have enough to make the playoffs, being in the same division with the Craps, Canes and an improved Thrashers squad. I hear Victor Hedman has looked real good, though.

As for the Pens game tonight, a very solid effort all-around. With 3 of the 4 goals coming from the 3rd and 4th lines, they made a strong statement that they do not need Sid and Geno to carry them, that they have more than enough depth to win when the Big Two have an off night. Fleury again was solid in goal, and of course got a couple lucky breaks with Ottawa hitting 2 posts. Just a businesslike effort, and more along the lines of what we have seen since Bylsma has taken over as HC.

Next up - Carolina, in their first meeting since the Pens swept them out of the playoffs in the ECF. My guess is that Bill Cowher will NOT be cranking up the warning siren this time. :chuckle:

4xSBChamps
10-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Next up - Carolina, in their first meeting since the Pens swept them out of the playoffs in the ECF. My guess is that Bill Cowher will NOT be cranking up the warning siren this time. :chuckle:

..... and the Canes won't have to face the wrath of Satan.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/SatanbeatsEavesGm2Rd309.jpg

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I had to record the game to watch football, but, to be honest - Pens really got lucky on all the bounces.

It was just one of them nights where everything rolled in - remember this game when it goes the other way.

Sens looked pretty good with Spezza and their goalie - LeClaire? They looked good.

But a win is a win - even though Geno had some less than genius plays going on and Sid couldn't buy a goal.

Now the Canes on Wed - I wonder if Cowher will be cranking the siren again.

RunWillieRun
10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Can't wait to go to the game in Raleigh tomorrow!

LETS GO PENS!!!

steelpride12
10-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Alright time for Carolina on Wed. and Im guessing there will be no appearance from Cower!

4xSBChamps
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
As for Tampa Bay, they should be much better this year than last, but I still don't think they have enough to make the playoffs, being in the same division with the Craps, Canes and an improved Thrashers squad. I hear Victor Hedman has looked real good, though.....

I've seen 3+ of their 5 games, and the Lightning PP is for-real..... Hedman plays Left-point, the Left-handed VL4 plays the opposite point, St, Louis gets along the Right-wing/half-boards, Malone pesters the goalie's Left shoulder, and Stamkos (the only Right-handed shot) slides in the slot, cranking shots at-will, taking passes from StL or Lecavalier:
very-potent.

the rest of the team is improved, and at 2-1-2, they could be 4-1-0 with any luck, and the ability to score in the shoot-out (both OT loses, I believe):
G Mike Smith has recovered from his concussions of last year, Niittymaki has played solid in both wins (Smith got run-over last week, and has been rested since), and Tocchet has instilled a new spirit in the team

X-Terminator
10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I had to record the game to watch football, but, to be honest - Pens really got lucky on all the bounces.

It was just one of them nights where everything rolled in - remember this game when it goes the other way.

Sens looked pretty good with Spezza and their goalie - LeClaire? They looked good.

But a win is a win - even though Geno had some less than genius plays going on and Sid couldn't buy a goal.

Now the Canes on Wed - I wonder if Cowher will be cranking the siren again.

We've been on the business end of a lot of those games, so yeah, I'll definitely take it. But I'm not concerned about Sid and Geno - it's Kunitz and Fedotenko I'm worried about. Only one goal between them - not good, and certainly not when they're playing with the 2 best players in the world.

I really wasn't all that impressed with the Sens - other than Spezza's line, they really aren't that good. Alfredsson looks extremely slow, Cheechoo still looks as if he hasn't rediscovered his scoring touch and Kovalev pretty much mailed in his effort last night, as he has done way too often over the past few years. Their defense is very suspect to boot. Unless Leclaire channels Martin Brodeur or pulls a Steve Mason from last year, that team is going nowhere.

I've seen 3+ of their 5 games, and the Lightning PP is for-real..... Hedman plays Left-point, the Left-handed VL4 plays the opposite point, St, Louis gets along the Right-wing/half-boards, Malone pesters the goalie's Left shoulder, and Stamkos (the only Right-handed shot) slides in the slot, cranking shots at-will, taking passes from StL or Lecavalier:
very-potent.

the rest of the team is improved, and at 2-1-2, they could be 4-1-0 with any luck, and the ability to score in the shoot-out (both OT loses, I believe):
G Mike Smith has recovered from his concussions of last year, Niittymaki has played solid in both wins (Smith got run-over last week, and has been rested since), and Tocchet has instilled a new spirit in the team

OK, so it should be a good matchup Saturday night and a nice test for the Pens. I still think we will beat them, though.

Fire Haley
10-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I remember the limp Sens from last year - they looked better than that, that's all.

I'm not like, In Love, with them or anything

randy06
10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Excited for the game tomorrow, it should be a great one.

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Pens vs. Canes

this should be a good one

Crank it up.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2009-05-26/0527cowherside-a.jpg

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
SHould be an exciting one tonight between two good teams. Just don't forget who took control in the playoffs last season.
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Erik Cole out and Erik Staal is not 100% so the Pens should get some good looks tonight and can win this one and go 5 and 0 on this roadtrip. O yeah Fleury is 5 and 0 this season!
GO PENS!

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Good thing it's on the NHL channel - my FSN Pittsburgh went blank after the pre-game show.

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Good fast paced game early, but the Canes look faster and holding the puck in our own zone so far. Both teams getting shots and looking good both ways!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
GOOOOOALLLLL! After a few hits against the Pens Mike Rupp gets his first as a Pen with a sick backhand over Ward!
Pens lead 1 to 0!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 07:38 PM
End of the first period Pens lead 1 to 0 from a goal from Mike Rupp.
Very fast and hard hitting first period so far, Canes looked more dominate in our zone controlling the puck and getting shot, but gave up one odd man rushed and payed with a sick dangle backhand from Mike Rupp his first as a Pen.
LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
It kinda sucks I have to listen to Canes announcers, but that goal shut them up pretty quick - but other than that it's been a great fast-paced game.

Sid had to get his skates fixed and missed half the period -- couldn't cross the ice from the tunnel to the visitors bench because of the non-stop action.

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Not a fan of Chris Borque just yet. Sloppy play, but he is young.

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
GOOOOALLLLLLL GENOOOO!!! Makes it 2 to 0 Pens early in the second with a sweet side shot beating Ward over the shoulder!

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
What a shot by Malkin! - just as I was gonna bust on him for turning over the puck so much.

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
End of the second period with the score of Pens leading 2 to 0. Goals from Rupp and Malkin. Both sick shots and goals. Pens with 23 shots shooting well and getting chances. Just gotta hold it all together and maybe get one more to put this one away!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Fluery almost makes the save on Whitney, but it sneaks through the pads to make it 2 to 1 Pens and it's not a game ladies and gents. The Pens got sloppy and Canes took over in our zone def. the 4th line of the Canes. Time to shut them down.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Cam Ward just made a HUGE save on Guerin! Tic Tac Toe Guerin with a wide open net right at the goal and was robbed!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Whitney Steers a puck in again on a deflection to tie the game at 2 to 2 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd period. COME ON PENS!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Penalty on the Pens with 6:56 left. Momentum with the Canes late!

X-Terminator
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
The RBC Center up until the playoffs last year has been a house of horrors for the Pens. I'm not surprised this is happening.

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:14 PM
With 3:40 left Letang got highsticked and the Pens will get at least a minor PP coming up! TIME TO FINISH NOW PENS!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Overtime on its way. Last Overtime was not the best in this building and Ward is 5 and 0 against the Pens here in the regular season. Time to change that! Lets Go Pens!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Malkin Robbed by Ward with another huge glove save. Geez Ward is amazing!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow the Pens totally dominated that ovetime and had at least 7 chances to score and all great saves by Ward. I hope he is not that sharp in the shootout!
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
1 to 1 in the shootout so far. Backhander by Sid

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
PENS WIN!!! Kunitz with the 5 hole winner in the shootout to seal the Pens win 3 to 2 and seal another two points!

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
5 and 0 on the roadtrip which is a franchise record and time to come back home against the Lightning and some familiar faces!

hindes204
10-14-2009, 09:51 PM
5-0 on the road.....what a start to what seems to be another great season...LETS GO PENS

Fire Haley
10-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Fleury is a God

steelpride12
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Fleury is a God

Amen. He is 6 and 0 right now in the season and playing his best hockey of his career, yes better than last season!

4xSBChamps
10-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Good thing it's on the NHL channel

I' ve gone to a local sports-bar once this season, to watch the Guins on the NHL Network, their only loss thus-far, so I've sworn-off that option:
instead, I went to the drag-strip to help a frienbd sort-out his car & driving technique, and am glad to hear they won tonight.
:drink:

Now, I get to see their next 2 games on my TV via local cable-provider!
:thumbsup:

X-Terminator
10-15-2009, 01:00 AM
The Pens' record for consecutive road wins, BTW, is 7, set during the 1992-93 season...which was the Pens' best team ever and unfortunately one of the best teams not to win the Stanley Cup.

SteelMember
10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
... because of the non-stop action.

That seemed to be the case throughout the entire game. Great action without a lot of stoppages. Especially in the 3rd.

Hate to see us giving up a 2 goal lead, but that shootout was very exciting. Fleury was awesome! Really aggressive going for the poke check about 4 times.

Very entertaining game! :tt03:

Texasteel
10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Enjoyed that game a bunch. Pens looked dominate in the 1st period, I thought. Great finish.

HometownGal
10-15-2009, 01:25 PM
I watched most of the last 2 periods of the game, the OT and the shootout and they hung tough! :drink: :banana: Just gotta LOVE this team! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
10-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I watched most of the last 2 periods of the game, the OT and the shootout and they hung tough! :drink: :banana: Just gotta LOVE this team! :thumbsup:

What are the chances that three new banners go up with the ones currently hanging at Mellon Arena now at Consol Energy Center next year?

(Presidents(Although I can live without this one), Eastern Conference, and Stanley Cup)

4xSBChamps
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
What are the chances that three new banners go up with the ones currently hanging at Mellon Arena now at Consol Energy Center next year?

it'd be great to see the Guins hoist the Cup around the Civic Arena after winning it on home-ice for the first-time ever, following the last game to ever be played there in June '10:
I believe it's been 84 years TODAY that a Pittsburgh team won a World Championship at-home (unless you wanna count the Pipers in 1968)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=192510150PIT

X-Terminator
10-15-2009, 05:07 PM

(Presidents(Although I can live without this one), Eastern Conference, and Stanley Cup)

They would actually get 4 banners if that were to happen - President's Trophy, Atlantic Division champs, conference champs, Stanley Cup champs. So long as we pick up the last 2, that's A-OK with me! :thumbsup:

it'd be great to see the Guins hoist the Cup around the Civic Arena after winning it on home-ice for the first-time ever, following the last game to ever be played there in June '10:
I believe it's been 84 years TODAY that a Pittsburgh team won a World Championship at-home (unless you wanna count the Pipers in 1968)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=192510150PIT

1960...Maz...walk-off HR in Game 7...

4xSBChamps
10-15-2009, 05:11 PM

after listening to my dad tell me about that game & day since I was born (a year earlier, and my mom says I took my first steps that day), I had a total brain-fart and forgot about that
:doh:

4xSBChamps
10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
with the Bolts next on the Penguins' list of victims..... errr, 'opponents', here is a site where you can read about the latest with the Lightning, updated daily

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/

Tampa is in Ottawa this evening, Pittsburgh on Saturday, then begin a 4-game, 9-day home-stand

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/STRIKE-FIRSTSTRIKE-HARDNO-MERCY.jpg

SteelCityMan786
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
They would actually get 4 banners if that were to happen - President's Trophy, Atlantic Division champs, conference champs, Stanley Cup champs. So long as we pick up the last 2, that's A-OK with me! :thumbsup:

Point well taken. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
with the Bolts next on the Penguins' list of victims..... errr, 'opponents', here is a site where you can read about the latest with the Lightning, updated daily

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/

Tampa is in Ottawa this evening, Pittsburgh on Saturday, then begin a 4-game, 9-day home-stand

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/STRIKE-FIRSTSTRIKE-HARDNO-MERCY.jpg

They'd better make that t-shirt available to the general public - right now, only the players are wearing it.

Anyway, TB is getting owned by the Sens 4-0 so far. So much for that hot start.

EDIT: Make that 5-0

4xSBChamps
10-15-2009, 10:28 PM
TB is getting owned by the Sens 4-0 so far. So much for that hot start.

EDIT: Make that 5-0

Yeah, they gave-up a pair of short-handed goals & a PP goal to Michalek, Smith looked shaky in-net, SoG was 35-17 OTT, and the final was 7-1, with Malone notching the lone Bolts goal:
hope the Guins put another tattooin' on 'em Saturday!

HometownGal
10-17-2009, 08:48 AM

It's too early in the season for me to solidly predict anything, but I think the Pens chances at a repeat are quite good as long as the key players can stay healthy. :hope:

SteelCityMan786
10-17-2009, 10:56 AM
It's too early in the season for me to solidly predict anything, but I think the Pens chances at a repeat are quite good as long as the key players can stay healthy. :hope:

They're off to a good start to doing so. However, I do agree. Too early in the season.

But hey, a guy can dream can't he?

HometownGal
10-17-2009, 04:55 PM
They're off to a good start to doing so. However, I do agree. Too early in the season.

But hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Absolutely! :drink:

Hey - if you're going to watch the game tonight, I'll wave to ya!:wave:

SteelCityMan786
10-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Absolutely! :drink:

Hey - if you're going to watch the game tonight, I'll wave to ya!:wave:

Haha, I plan on watching it right after the Penn State game.

4xSBChamps
10-17-2009, 06:56 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/HOCKEYNIGHTINPITTSBURGH-steel-worke.jpg

HometownGal
10-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Awesome game tonight! :banana: My Serg had one helluva night with a goal and an assist (they credited Dupuis with what we all thought was his 2nd goal of the game) and was a +3 for the night. :drink: Great effort all around by the Pens and we're keeping pace at the top of the division with the Rags at 7-1. :applaudit:

SteelCityMan786
10-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Awesome game tonight! :banana: My Serg had one helluva night with a goal and an assist (they credited Dupuis with what we all thought was his 2nd goal of the game) and was a +3 for the night. :drink: Great effort all around by the Pens and we're keeping pace at the top of the division with the Rags at 7-1. :applaudit:

The Pens played one hell of a game tonight. That is for sure. Now it's time to continue the success against the Blues.

steelpride12
10-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Another strong game tonight and can't over look The Flower who is just shutting teams out and letting more than one goal on the board is rare. He is 7 and 0 and finally get the recognition that he deserves of being one of the best in the league if not in the top 3!

Pens looking strong with yes the darn Rangers with a matching record and for the note SADLY Ovie the caveman is impressive and just can feel he has the scoring title on lock with already 9 goals and who knows how many assists. Looks like early those are the only two teams that look good, compared to our Pens who are just rolling!
Blues on Tuesday, LETS GO PENS!

Texasteel
10-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Sound like I missed a heck of a game. Maybe they will replay it on the NHL channel. Glad they won.!!!

HometownGal
10-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Another strong game tonight and can't over look The Flower who is just shutting teams out and letting more than one goal on the board is rare. He is 7 and 0 and finally get the recognition that he deserves of being one of the best in the league if not in the top 3!

You're absolutely right - Fleury has been lights out in the net since the start of the season and barring injury, I look for this to continue. The only thing he really needs to work on is his puck handling - I get the heebie jeebies every time he has to play the puck. :horror: :chuckle:

I almost felt sorry for Niittymaki last night but he really held strong during the Pens' long 5 on 3 advantage.

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

stlrtruck
10-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Got to watch Saturday night's game against the lightning. It was great to watch some Pens hockey on TV but it really sucks when they team they're playing sucks and the announcers are just as terrible!

4xSBChamps
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Got to watch Saturday night's game against the lightning. It was great to watch some Pens hockey on TV but it really sucks when they team they're playing sucks and the announcers are just as terrible!

Yeah, and we get to see Tuesday's game against St. Louis on Versus, too!

I have watched almost every game and I am very excited about this year.. They just need to stop with so many penalties.. I can't wait for Talbot to get back.. He will always be my hero for game seven of the 09 cup..

I decided to get his sweater after this

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/videoofTalbot.gif

scoring Series-clinching goals against Carolina & Detwah solidified that choice

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/TalbotcelebratesCupwinninggoalGm7Rd.jpg

steelpride12
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Talbot is just that kind of player who decides when he should step up and have a big game, and no game was bigger than game 7 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs last season. He is such a key player for this team and his attitude and his return will be a standing ovation IMO.

pittsburghp8baller
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
well tommorrow is gonna be the first game that Direct TV screws me out of.

Pens have looked great so far, Fleury is playing out of this world. I keep telling myself that im gonna hop on here during the games but im just waking up when the games start so im mostly out of it. definately gonna be hoping in here from time to time tommorrow to get updates.

oh yea, down here in Virginia people are already going Cap crazy especially with how bad the Skins are doing. If it was up to them might as well give them the dam cup.

X-Terminator
10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
well tommorrow is gonna be the first game that Direct TV screws me out of.

Pens have looked great so far, Fleury is playing out of this world. I keep telling myself that im gonna hop on here during the games but im just waking up when the games start so im mostly out of it. definately gonna be hoping in here from time to time tommorrow to get updates.

oh yea, down here in Virginia people are already going Cap crazy especially with how bad the Skins are doing. If it was up to them might as well give them the dam cup.

Unless they do something about that still-weak defense and average goaltending...oh, and telling Ovechkin that he doesn't have to be the entire damn team...they will never sniff the Stanley Cup. The Pens piss all over them in almost every category, and have the hardware to prove it.

4xSBChamps
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
The Pens piss all over them in almost every category, and have the hardware to prove it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/monsterpenguinattacksWDC.jpg

steelpride12
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Good to see Talbot actually practicing with the team now and taking reps against Fluery he is on track to return ON TIME this season.
Also yes the Caps are not a Great team. Their defense even Mike Greene is not impressive at all. Last game they gave up 2 breakaways? And goal tending we took care of before.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=502669&navid=DL|PIT|home

Penguins Report: Max Back to Practice
Monday, 10.19.2009 / 10:40 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

11:11 AM:
Talbot practicing with the Penguins:

10:57 AM:
Penguins forward Maxime Talbot, who has been sidelined this season following offseason shoulder surgery, practiced with his teammates for the first time this year.

Talbot, who wore the red "no contact" jersey, has been skating and working on his own since Sept. 29. But today marked the first time he went through a portion of practice with the rest of the team.

4xSBChamps
10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
..... Good to see Talbot actually practicing with the team now and taking reps against Fluery.....

Talbot wasn't REALLY injured, nor did he have off-season shoulder-surgery..... he had an extra-long Summer, working on his scoring-touch:
you-know, he has 'little-bit bad-hands'.....

4xSBChamps
10-19-2009, 08:18 PM
The Rangers, tied with the Peskies for the best record in the East @ 7-1-0, went to a 2-0 lead against San Jose, who scored 3 unanswered goals by early in the 2nd period, as the Sharks are takin' a bite outta Johnnie Torts' grin, 3-2

X-Terminator
10-19-2009, 08:32 PM
4-2 now.

Come on SJ!

4xSBChamps
10-19-2009, 08:44 PM
4-2 now.

Come on SJ!

Setoguchi with goals #4 & 5, as it is now San Jose 5, New Rat City 2 at the end of 40 minutes of play

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/Sabre-toothedPenguins.jpg

X-Terminator
10-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Setoguchi with goals #4 & 5, as it is now San Jose 5, New Rat City 2 at the end of 40 minutes of play

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/Sabre-toothedPenguins.jpg

Well that's that. The Dirty Rags aren't coming back from that lead. I still say the team is overrated anyway. They have one good scorer in Gaborik, and that's about it. I mean, they're playing 2 rookies on defense - good teams are going to take full advantage of that. Not to mention the fact that their D corps overall is average at best. They've been making hay off of beating bad teams, and I think they are going to struggle against some of the better teams in the league like they are tonight with SJ.

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Well that's that. The Dirty Rags aren't coming back from that lead. I still say the team is overrated anyway. They have one good scorer in Gaborik, and that's about it. I mean, they're playing 2 rookies on defense - good teams are going to take full advantage of that. Not to mention the fact that their D corps overall is average at best. They've been making hay off of beating bad teams, and I think they are going to struggle against some of the better teams in the league like they are tonight with SJ.

:banana: Ruck the Fangers!

Well - the Rags do have a good netminder in Lundqvist, but he didn't fare well last night against the Sharks either.

I know it's very early in the season, but aint it a pretty sight to see our Pens atop of the division? :applaudit:

pittsburghp8baller
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Unless they do something about that still-weak defense and average goaltending...oh, and telling Ovechkin that he doesn't have to be the entire damn team...they will never sniff the Stanley Cup. The Pens piss all over them in almost every category, and have the hardware to prove it.

Thats what i keep telling them, the Caps have given up the third most goals in the East. They have Mike Green and then everyone else are third pairing d-man hiding as top pair men, and then even with that Green is horrible in his own zone.

pittsburghp8baller
10-20-2009, 09:10 AM
:banana: Ruck the Fangers!

Well - the Rags do have a good netminder in Lundqvist, but he didn't fare well last night against the Sharks either.

I know it's very early in the season, but aint it a pretty sight to see our Pens atop of the division? :applaudit:

There backup played most of the game last night, gave in 5 goals on 18 shots and Lundy 2 on 12.

It is always good to see your team on top of the division, even if its the first game of the season, cause it means we are winning.

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
There backup played most of the game last night, gave in 5 goals on 18 shots and Lundy 2 on 12.

Yeah I knew Valiquette played most of the game, but I was just sayin' Lundqvist is one of their few solid players.

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Ok well since I have DirecTV and am screwed over with Versus, does anyone have a live stream internet site I can watch the game live?

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Thats what i keep telling them, the Caps have given up the third most goals in the East. They have Mike Green and then everyone else are third pairing d-man hiding as top pair men, and then even with that Green is horrible in his own zone.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/DEFENSE-what-fense.jpg

pittsburghp8baller
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah I knew Valiquette played most of the game, but I was just sayin' Lundqvist is one of their few solid players.

Sorry misread what you wrote. I think Lundy is right behind Fleury 2nd/3rd right now behind Ilya Bryzgalov. That defenseman Michael Del Zotto has been really impressive, at 19 already has 4 goals in the first couple of weeks, great Power Play Player.

Watching the Kings/Stars game last night, dam the Kings looked good. That top line of Smyth/Kopitar/Williams are on an absolute tear, that Av's/Kings trade has really worked for both teams so far.

pittsburghp8baller
10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/DEFENSE-what-fense.jpg

haha, priceless.

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Anyone with free streaming of the game tonight? I can't wait it because I have Directv and they cancelled Versus?

pittsburghp8baller
10-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone with free streaming of the game tonight? I can't wait it because I have Directv and they cancelled Versus?

im gonna be watching the game on ATDHE.NET, at least gonna try, with how slow my computer is probably not worth it

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
im gonna be watching the game on ATDHE.NET, at least gonna try, with how slow my computer is probably not worth it

Great thanks for tonight I will use this as well. :drink:

X-Terminator
10-20-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :laughing: But the real Caps fans and not the bandwagon hoppers will admit that Green sucks in his own zone. I can't tell you how many times the Pens abused him in the playoffs.

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM

maybe you can find a source from this link to PUG

http://pensunderground.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4322&st=0&#entry70214

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/modelunveils1967Penguinjersey.jpg

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Well I found two streams and both don't work can someone please give updates, I never miss a game! :(

Shea
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
You might want to try atdhe.net again. I couldn't get it to work for awhile, but it's up now.

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
You might want to try atdhe.net again. I couldn't get it to work for awhile, but it's up now.

Maybe it's just my computer because it just is not working for me.:banging:

Shea
10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
TK just got a goal, steelpride. 1-0 Pens!

Shea
10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
And Geno just got a PP goal. I'm lovin the start of this game!

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/PresidentTylerKennedy.jpg

can you listen to the radio flagship of the Penguins?

http://www.wxdx.com/cc-common/ondemand/player2.html?world=st

Malkin makes it 2-0 on a power-play goal

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/Burgessmeredith-Penguindrinking.jpg

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Pens are lookin' real good this 1st period! :thumbsup: That was a beaut of a shot by Geno! :banana:

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 07:38 PM
..... Green sucks in his own zone. I can't tell you how many times the Pens abused him in the playoffs.

..... like the only woman on a pirate ship at-sea for 12 months

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the updates so far :)

X-Terminator
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
That was as dominant a period as I've seen from the Pens in a long, long time. They skated circles around the Blues. I don't know if they can keep up that pace, but so far, so good! They just need to avoid the inevitable post-whistle stuff that the Blues will try to get them off their game.

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Im going to the game Friday against Florida who is also struggling early. I hope my first game of the season the Pens finally don't get a loss! Think they will win friday?

Shea
10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Ugh, now my stream isn't working. Bought the hockey package on Directv and I'm stuck with this?? I'm starting to get pissed!

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Listening to the radio and a sick wrist shot from Fedotenko, good to see him get a goal! 3 to 0 Pens, well as im typing the Pens score again and are now up 4 to 0. Letang or Cooke scored this one. Wow Pens are on fire!!!

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
4-0 Pens a few minutes into the second on goals by Fedotenko and Letang! :banana:

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:20 PM
4th goal given to Letang on an assist by Staal. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey Folks,

St. Louis Sucks

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 08:26 PM
4 to 1. I guess there is no shut out tonight!

HometownGal
10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
4 to 1. I guess there is no shut out tonight!

Would have been nice, but I'm more interested in the W.

Texasteel
10-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Would have been nice, but I'm more interested in the W.

4-1 sound pretty good to me right now too.

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
as the 2nd period wore-on, the Guins looked bored & uninterested, giving-up the puck at their own blue-line:
couldn't expect the boys to keep-up that torrid pace for 60 minutes

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Gonchar will not return tonight. Are we resting him or injury?

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 09:09 PM
GoGo from the right wing circle wrister! 5 to 1 Pens wow!

Texasteel
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Just saw the highlights of the game so far. Man I wish I see this.

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Whats the deal with Gonchar!?

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Whats the deal with Gonchar!?

been watching VERSUS, and will now be listening to 1059-de-X for post-game:
will try to post what I hear about Sarge

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/RamieChriswithStanleyCupLaborDay09.jpg

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 09:35 PM
LGP is reporting that Sarge has a broken wrist?

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40686

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
LGP is reporting that Sarge has a broken wrist?

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40686

Ohhhh no! What a loss early in the season! :banging: I hope its not a bad break!

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Im not going to believe Sarge's report of having a broken wrist because he finished the rest of the second period just fine and the post of him having one was made too early before the game was even over. Come on Gonch be ok!

RunWillieRun
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
sounds like it's either a wrist or shoulder.

FYI...Wrist is usually 6-8 weak injury...

I don't want to think about a shoulder.

4xSBChamps
10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Grove & the Ol' 2-Niner (on the post-game show) are disputing reports of Sarge having a broken wrist, while Lt. Dan says he'll be examined & updated tomorrow morning

steelpride12
10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Dans Bylsma wouldn't comment on the post game questions, but said it was a weird and awkward injury. So let's keep our hopes up for now. All is rumors.

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Im not going to believe Sarge's report of having a broken wrist because he finished the rest of the second period just fine and the post of him having one was made too early before the game was even over. Come on Gonch be ok!

Actually he did not finish the rest of the period - he left with over 7 minutes to go in the 2nd period and didn't return. All we have now is speculation, but I hope it isn't a serious injury.

EDIT: The Trib is reporting that he does have a broken bone in his hand or wrist, and will miss at least a month. Dammit!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_649048.html?source=rss&feed=8

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 01:39 AM
BTW, this also means that Martin Skoula will be inserted into the lineup in Gonchar's place. I'm not exactly giddy at that prospect. The guy sucks balls - why else would he end up being with 3 different teams in the preseason?

Fire Haley
10-21-2009, 02:56 AM
This sucks

Gonchar injured in Penguins' win

Teammates were told Gonchar has a broken bone near his hand or wrist, and he will be re-evaluated today to find its precise location. He is expected to miss at least a month

"Obviously you can't replace what he brings to the power play," coach Dan Bylsma said of Gonchar, who would be replaced in the lineup, if necessary, by Martin Skoula, a longtime league veteran with his name on the Cup.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_649048.html?source=rss&feed=8

pittsburghp8baller
10-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Sorry misread what you wrote. I think Lundy is right behind Fleury 2nd/3rd right now behind Ilya Bryzgalov. That defenseman Michael Del Zotto has been really impressive, at 19 already has 4 goals in the first couple of weeks, great Power Play Player.

Watching the Kings/Stars game last night, dam the Kings looked good. That top line of Smyth/Kopitar/Williams are on an absolute tear, that Av's/Kings trade has really worked for both teams so far.

Man, i was messing everything up yesterday, got to far ahead of myself meant Bryz and Lundy are close behind Fleury.

didnt catch the game but just saw the highlights, dam we owned that game. NHL on the Fly just showed how the third line has 10 goals in 9 games so far, incredible.

pittsburghp8baller
10-21-2009, 06:11 AM
This sucks

Teammates were told Gonchar has a broken bone near his hand or wrist, and he will be re-evaluated today to find its precise location. He is expected to miss at least a month

"Obviously you can't replace what he brings to the power play," coach Dan Bylsma said of Gonchar, who would be replaced in the lineup, if necessary, by Martin Skoula, a longtime league veteran with his name on the Cup.

dam, i was just wondering why he only had 16 minutes of ice time last night. Im mad not even Errey mentioned it on NHL on the Fly.

pittsburghp8baller
10-21-2009, 06:13 AM
BTW, this also means that Martin Skoula will be inserted into the lineup in Gonchar's place. I'm not exactly giddy at that prospect. The guy sucks balls - why else would he end up being with 3 different teams in the preseason?

he has an incredible -28 the last two years with Minnesota, maybe we get a Ben Lovejoy callup?

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 07:24 AM
This sucks

Beat you by an hour and a half posting this story, but it doesn't suck any less.

Man, i was messing everything up yesterday, got to far ahead of myself meant Bryz and Lundy are close behind Fleury.

didnt catch the game but just saw the highlights, dam we owned that game. NHL on the Fly just showed how the third line has 10 goals in 9 games so far, incredible.

It was by far their most dominant performance of the season - the complete opposite of how bad they looked against the Coyotes. They were all over the Blues from the drop of the puck - it really looked like the Pens had 7-8 guys on the ice every time. The Blues only started getting more pressure after Gonchar went down, but even then, it wasn't a whole lot.

he has an incredible -28 the last two years with Minnesota, maybe we get a Ben Lovejoy callup?

Lovejoy is still injured right now, so it looks like they're going to plug him in there. Ugh. I've a feeling he's going to make Lt. Dan sorry he made that decision in short order. Wild fans were so glad to be rid of him. You have to work pretty damn hard to be -28 in Jacques Lemaire's defensive system.

SteelMember
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I decided to get his sweater after this

Now, you too might get the SuperStar treatment. :wink02: :chuckle:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200910/20091002mhtalbot2_500.jpg
You can get a T-shirt (http://superstartreatmenttees.blogspot.com/).

Great to see Tank and our leading goal scorer get another goal. No, not Crosby. Not Malkin...Tyler Kennedy (5). It's great getting points from guys like TK and Cooke. I would love for Kunitz to put one in the twine and get it going.

Bad news about Gonchar. If this were a Steelers thread, someone would inevitably call him "injury prone". :rolleyes:

4xSBChamps
10-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Great to see Tank and our leading goal scorer get another goal. No, not Crosby. Not Malkin...Tyler Kennedy (5). It's great getting points from guys like TK and Cooke. I would love for Kunitz to put one in the twine and get it going.

Mr. Kennedy's greatest attribute (besides playing bigger than his physical-size) is that he often fires shots at the net, which lead to rebounds or goals..... sometimes Crosby & Malkin try one-too-many passes, resulting in nothing:
I don't think anybody within the organIzation is upset with Kunitz not getting goals..... he is tenacious on th forecheck, opening ice for Guerin & Crosby, and he takes the body, too, so I got no-complaints with Kunitz' play.

SteelMember
10-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm not saying I have any problem with Kunitz' play. I don't know how you arrived there, so I'll just say this...

Everyone likes to score goals.

and I'm sure he's not the exception.

It's guys like TK that bring that energy and extra effort that make watching hockey a little more exciting. I will always cheer for guys like that. ALWAYS!

LET'S GO PENS!

:tt03:

4xSBChamps
10-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm not saying I have any problem with Kunitz' play. I don't know how you arrived there, so I'll just say this...

Everyone likes to score goals.

I didn't think you were upset with Kunitz' play (but he gets lotsa flack about his lack of goal-scoring)

Kunitz' hard-work will deliver scoring opportunities for his linemates & himself..... guy appears to place team-goals ahead of personal accomplishments, and his skills fit Lt. Dan's style of play

steelpride12
10-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Losing Gonch for at least a month is a huge blow, but I think if there is any time for the Pens to lose a player for sometime it is now. The Pens are getting goals from all 4 lines and the defense is scoring as well. I don''t see losing Gonch to totally effect the Pens a whole lot, but in someway it will. Well here's to a speedy 100% recovery Gonch!

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Malkin had 12 SOG last night and Crosby was setting people up left and right. I think they're going to be just fine.

pittsburghp8baller
10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
It was by far their most dominant performance of the season - the complete opposite of how bad they looked against the Coyotes. They were all over the Blues from the drop of the puck - it really looked like the Pens had 7-8 guys on the ice every time. The Blues only started getting more pressure after Gonchar went down, but even then, it wasn't a whole lot.

Lovejoy is still injured right now, so it looks like they're going to plug him in there. Ugh. I've a feeling he's going to make Lt. Dan sorry he made that decision in short order. Wild fans were so glad to be rid of him. You have to work pretty damn hard to be -28 in Jacques Lemaire's defensive system.

dam, didnt know Lovejoy was hurt guess we just gotta roll with Skoula right now.

I was thinking the same dam thing, how the hell are you a minus 28 playing for Lemaire? We are gonna need our d-man to step up and eat some minutes so we dont have to give him that many minutes

steelpride12
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Man my first game im going to this season is Friday and wouldn't you know it Fluery won't be playing and Gonch is out! Well thank god that Florida is not a good team.

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
dam, didnt know Lovejoy was hurt guess we just gotta roll with Skoula right now.

I was thinking the same dam thing, how the hell are you a minus 28 playing for Lemaire? We are gonna need our d-man to step up and eat some minutes so we dont have to give him that many minutes

Rumor has it that they will call up Deryk Engelland to be the 7th D-man while Gonchar is out. I wouldn't mind that - brings a lot of grit and toughness. If they do, I'd rather him play over Skoula - could he really be that much worse?

Man my first game im going to this season is Friday and wouldn't you know it Fluery won't be playing and Gonch is out! Well thank god that Florida is not a good team.

Sorry man. The Panthers weren't all that great last season either and gave the Pens fits. So I wouldn't guarantee a win.

4xSBChamps
10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Malkin had 12 SOG last night and Crosby was setting people up left and right. I think they're going to be just fine.

that 5 coulda been an '8' very-easily last night..... recently, they appear to be taking the oppostion's will-to-win away from them early

Fire Haley
10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Now it's official.

Gonchar out 4-6 weeks with broken wrist, no surgery.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=502948&navid=DL|PIT|home

SteelCityMom
10-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Now it's official.

Gonchar out 4-6 weeks with broken wrist, no surgery.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=502948&navid=DL|PIT|home

Not happy that he's injured, but a a month, month and a half isn't too bad...could have been a lot worse. I think the Pens will do ok w/o him for a little while, and better it happen now than later.

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, I guess it could have been worse. I'm just hoping I don't see a repeat of last season when Gonchar was out, when the team went into a tailspin from about mid-November until Bylsma was hired in February. It will give us chance to see if Letang and Goligoski truly are ready to take over offensively and on the PP if by some odd chance the Pens decide not to re-sign Gonchar.

The only good news is that the Pens would get him and Max Talbot back at around the same time.

Fire Haley
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
What are you talking about? Max will be out for another 3 months, Gonch will be back in about 15 games.

steelpride12
10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
What are you talking about? Max will be out for another 3 months, Gonch will be back in about 15 games.

Officially Max is to return in December and Gonch 4 to 6 weeks.

4xSBChamps
10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
..... it will give us chance to see if Letang and Goligoski truly are ready to take over offensively and on the PP if by some odd chance the Pens decide not to re-sign Gonchar.

Heckuva opportunity for both of them, and a few of the Baby Pens, to show if they can compete full-time at the NHL level.

6 weeks (worst-case scenario?) from yesterday would be a return on 3 December against Colorado, and it sounds like both Sarge & Max will be back for Christms

Fire Haley
10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
That font is an obnoxious attention-whoring abomination.

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 06:49 PM

Penguins Forward Maxime Talbot Undergoes Successful Shoulder Surgery

Recovery Expected to Take Four to Five Months

Tuesday, 07.07.2009 / 11:07 AM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Maxime Talbot underwent successful surgery Tuesday to repair a chronic shoulder problem. His recovery is expected to take four to five months.

UPMC physician Dr. Mark Rodosky performed the surgery to repair a torn labrum in Talbot’s left shoulder.

“Max has played with this problem for quite a while and we all agreed it was best for him to have the surgery at this time,” Penguins general manager Ray Shero said. “Although he will miss training camp and the start of the season, the doctors expect him to make a complete recovery.”

Talbot, 25, has appeared in 261 career games in the NHL, collecting 42 goals and 80 points. He also scored both goals in the Penguins’ 2-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final this season.

Surgery was July 7, obviously...which means 4-5 months is between early November and early December, with the team targeting the latter. He has resumed skating with the team in practice. Gonchar is expected to be out until at least early December.

Do the math.

Fire Haley
10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't do math.

But that sounds like a bet.

You're on.

I say Gonch will be back long before Max.

steelpride12
10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Alright losing Gonch does not make it the end of the world Killer and X-Terminator shakes hands, have a drink the Pens will be fine and both will be back by Decemer!

X-Terminator
10-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't do math.

But that sounds like a bet.

You're on.

I say Gonch will be back long before Max.

It's not a bet, it's going on what the team has said. I don't know how you get Max will be out another 3 months when it's already been 3 and a half months since his surgery. Gonchar is out 4-6 weeks, which could be from late November - early December for his return, which means that they would be back at around the same time. But whatever - you believe what you want.

HometownGal
10-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Alright losing Gonch does not make it the end of the world Killer and X-Terminator shakes hands, have a drink the Pens will be fine and both will be back by Decemer!

Remember what happened last season when Serg was out? The Pens didn't start getting it together to make their playoff run until his return. If there is one player, especially on D, that the Pens will have a hard time adjusting to in his absence, it's Gonchar.

Texasteel
10-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Thank HTG. The defense has looked so good this year, I was wondering how much Gonchar's absence was going to hurt.

X-Terminator
10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Remember what happened last season when Serg was out? The Pens didn't start getting it together to make their playoff run until his return. If there is one player, especially on D, that the Pens will have a hard time adjusting to in his absence, it's Gonchar.

It will be especially tough considering Skoula now has to play, and he's been in our system for a grand total of 4 weeks. I doubt he'd pick up the nuances quickly enough to be really effective, no matter how long he's been in the league. They may or may not struggle as much as they did last season without Sarge, but his presence will definitely be missed.

RunWillieRun
10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
It will be especially tough considering Skoula now has to play, and he's been in our system for a grand total of 4 weeks. I doubt he'd pick up the nuances quickly enough to be really effective, no matter how long he's been in the league. They may or may not struggle as much as they did last season without Sarge, but his presence will definitely be missed.

Bozo the clown thinks this is good for the Pens:

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2009/10/22/good-news-gonchar-out-4-6-weeks.aspx

:epicfacepalm:

X-Terminator
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Bozo the clown thinks this is good for the Pens:

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/archive/2009/10/22/good-news-gonchar-out-4-6-weeks.aspx

:epicfacepalm:

What a shocker. Smizik is the biggest joke of a "sports reporter" in town, bar none. How the hell can ANYONE think Gonchar's injury is a good thing? And his logic is completely flawed - Nicklas Lidstrom is 40 years old, and still going strong. Mark Recchi is 41, and some consider him one of the best conditioned athletes in the league. Look at how Gary Roberts kept himself in shape at age 42. And do I need to mention the 47 year old Chris Chelios who is now playing for the Chicago Wolves in the AHL?

Bob, please do us all a favor and retire, never to be seen again.

steelpride12
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Everyone needs to just chill with Gonch's injury. yes I remember last season how bad it hurt the team, but crazy enough were a better team this season because we are a COMPLETE team. All 4 lines on offense are scoring, mostly that third line, and second the defense is more active and offensive minded including Letang and GoGo. Orpik and Mckee provide the Solid D our Fluery. So who's worries?

X-Terminator
10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Everyone needs to just chill with Gonch's injury. yes I remember last season how bad it hurt the team, but crazy enough were a better team this season because we are a COMPLETE team. All 4 lines on offense are scoring, mostly that third line, and second the defense is more active and offensive minded including Letang and GoGo. Orpik and Mckee provide the Solid D our Fluery. So who's worries?

Gee, ya know, he's only our BEST DEFENSEMAN. Of COURSE we're going to worry. The defense is weaker without him in the lineup and WITH Skoula in the lineup. Kudos to you for not being worried, but it's not like we're losing some minor league curtain-jerker here. It would be like the Wings losing Lidstrom - they are good without him, but are way better with him.

4xSBChamps
10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
..... Bozo the clown thinks.....

..... I think I see the problem already.....

:wink02:

steelpride12
10-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Gee, ya know, he's only our BEST DEFENSEMAN. Of COURSE we're going to worry. The defense is weaker without him in the lineup and WITH Skoula in the lineup. Kudos to you for not being worried, but it's not like we're losing some minor league curtain-jerker here. It would be like the Wings losing Lidstrom - they are good without him, but are way better with him.

And of course as well were are 8 and 1 and have plenty of room if we have to lose a few games, then that's ok. Tonight the Pens can still hold off Florida and the Devils will be a challenge, but im just not worried for only a month.

RunWillieRun
10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Pens take on Florida tonight @ the Mellon.

Johnson gets the call in net....Let's hope the Pens show up to play in front of him this time.

With Gonchar out, Skoula gets his first ice time in a Pens uniform. Reports are he's going to be paired with McKee.

LETS GO PENS!!!!

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 08:05 PM
*Sigh* I know it's still early in the game, and I know the win streak can't last forever...but come on Pens, wake up!

Pens down 2-0

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 08:28 PM
*Sigh* I know it's still early in the game, and I know the win streak can't last forever...but come on Pens, wake up!

Pens down 2-0

I called my Mom in S.W. Taxylvania during the pre-game, and by the time we were done chatting, she'd told me 'it's 2-0 during the first intermission, and we're losing!':
she used to go to Pittsburgh Hornet games with her dad, and took me to my first game 37 years ago

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I called my Mom in S.W. Taxylvania during the pre-game, and by the time we were done chatting, she'd told me 'it's 2-0 during the first intermission, and we're losing!':
she used to go to Pittsburgh Hornet games with her dad, and took me to my first game 37 years ago

Yeah, that 1st period went pretty quick...it was just a lot of back and forth for a while. Kunitz and Ballard just fought...hopefully sparks the team up.

I wish I would have been alive to see some of the games back in the 70's and been able to see Apps and Pronovost and Briere play. Glad to have been able to see Mario and all the greats from the 80's, 90's and beyond though.

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I wish I would have been alive to see some of the games back in the 70's and been able to see Apps and Pronovost and Briere play.

I missed Briere, but saw many of the other players (and others) that you speak of

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/pittsburgh/penguinspics.html

I recall Ron Schock, Ken Schinkel, and Eddie Shack playing at-once, and a radio-announcer, Jim Forney, who had a slight lisp when pronouncing the letter 'S'
:rofl:

Greg Polis winning the MVP of an All-Star game, the between period 'Sandy Score-O', and the California Golden Seals, wearing White skates

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/seals_whiteskates.jpg

lotsa good-times at that old building

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Great site and pics!

The second period was a little better than the first. Didn't get any goals (had some good chances though), but didn't allow any more at least. Vokoun has been shutting everyone down pretty much. As long as we split tonight and tomorrow though I'll be happy...they were due for a down game I guess.

X-Terminator
10-23-2009, 09:15 PM
So they're losing to a lesser team...well, that's going to happen a few times during the season. They aren't going to win every game.

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Johnson's played 5 periods, with zero goal-support
:noidea:

listening to the game on the interweb, did Staal get injured?

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Johnson's played 5 periods, with zero goal-support

listening to the game on the interweb, did Staal get injured?

Yeah I was just going to mention that...they haven't said what's wrong, just that he left. They don't even know if he'll be back for the third or not, so we'll see I guess.

I agree though, Johnson has been playing very well, but isn't getting much defensive support. Not sure what's up with that, but it needs fixed soon. I'd like to see them play with some fire when he's in net as well as Fleury. I know they're not going to win every game, but this game and the Coyotes game they've just looked anemic.

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 09:28 PM
WOOOO FINALLY! It took a 5 on 3, but Crosby gets one behind the net!

2-1 Now

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 09:39 PM
...they haven't said what's wrong, just that he (Staal) left. They don't even know if he'll be back for the third or not, so we'll see I guess.

I believe I heard Kennedy & he had an odd-man rush early 3rd Period!

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 09:46 PM
I believe I heard Kennedy & he had an odd-man rush early 3rd Period!

Yup yup, Staal is back in and doing fine.

This last bit was just funny though with Booth picking up the puck and throwing it down the ice. Hopefully they can capitalize on this PP...Vokoun is giving us fits!

X-Terminator
10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Man, Vokoun has been a friggin wall in the 3rd period. The Pens could easily have 4 or 5 goals on an average goaltender. If the Panthers hold on, he's the #1 star for sure.

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 10:03 PM
And we're tied at 2! :banana: Pens are going to win this - I feel it in me bones. :hope:

SteelCityMom
10-23-2009, 10:07 PM
And we're tied at 2! :banana: Pens are going to win this - I feel it in me bones. :hope:

Yes me too! I'm so happy with Johnson tonight too...he's been playing out of his mind.

Going into overtime now...so even if we lose at least we get a point. Not too shabby.

X-Terminator
10-23-2009, 10:08 PM
The Pens just ripped off a point from the Panthers. Now let's see if they can get the duke.

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes me too! I'm so happy with Johnson tonight too...he's been playing out of his mind.

Going into overtime now...so even if we lose at least we get a point. Not too shabby.

I've only watched a little of the 2nd and the entire 3rd as I just got home, but from what I heard listening to the radio broadcast and what I've seen, Johnson has been outstanding. :drink:

Vocoun has played remarkably well, too. Looks like we're going to a shootout. :hope:

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 10:16 PM
was the game-tying goal short-handed by Sid?

I've only seen the 2 most-recent games (TB & StL), and it seems that Crosby is getting the chance to kill penalties more-often than in the past (or am I missing something?)
:screwy:

X-Terminator
10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes it was a SHG by Sid.

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
:hope: :hope: :hope:

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! :banana:

WTG Sid and Johnson! :applaudit: :hatsoff:

Should be:

Crosby
Johnson
Vocoun

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 10:24 PM
"..... Ladies & gentlemen.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/Elvissilhouette.jpg

..... has left the building!!!!!"

X-Terminator
10-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Vokoun was still just ridiculous tonight with the saves in the 3rd period...but it wasn't enough! :applaudit:

Great to see Johnson get rewarded with a win - he played his ass off tonight. That diving glove save on Horton was friggin unbelievable, even if it wouldn't have counted. Better than Cam Ward's larceny of Bill Guerin last week, IMO. Looks like we will be in good hands when Fleury is given the night off, unlike last season with Sabourin/Garon as backups.

Tonight was a night where the stars had to shine, and Sid came through not once but twice. It was the first time ever that he'd scored a PPG and a SHG in the same game. Great decision by Bylsma to put him and Malkin out there on the PK, and they got the job done. BTW, Sid is now 3-3 in shootouts so far this season. :thumbsup:

9-1 to start the season!!!

Fire Haley
10-23-2009, 10:31 PM
What a thriller.

Never give up.

steelpride12
10-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Just got home from the game, my first of this early season and what a game! The crowd was behind the Pens till the last second and we never lost hope. After we tied it that place was on fire and the Malkin shorthanded pass to Crosby was sick, he was motivated!

Great win by the Pens and Johnson, I can't say enough about how well he played tonight and yes 5 periods with no goal support is very hard to do and he held his ground when it mattered! Also Vocoun played his heart out and saw the puck like a beach ball in the third and the Pens just never let up.

Great win and only right that Sid got the GWG in the shootout and Johnson was a wall! Sloppy win, but were 9 and 1 and thats all that matters.

Devils tomorrow and Fluery will get the start!
LETS GO PENS!

Shea
10-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I loved how the team fought back and tied it up, and then won it in the SO tonight.

Our Pens are on a roll, and I was nervous about the chances of making it back to the SCF for three consecutive years, but why not? Their attitude and tenacity so far shows me that they are hungry to get back and win another championship!

Edman
10-24-2009, 02:57 AM
There is no sign of a Stanley Cup Hangover for the Pens so far. They're beating teams left and right, but it's only October in a long season.

SteelCityMan786
10-24-2009, 10:01 AM
There is no sign of a Stanley Cup Hangover for the Pens so far. They're beating teams left and right, but it's only October in a long season.

Indeed the season is young. But they sure are off to a great start.

Jmat
10-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Brent Johnson was great in goal. He kept the Pens in the game. He should have been one of the games three stars.

SteelMember
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Great grit by the Pens to come back in this one. Johnson really gave them a chance and kept them in it with some outstanding play.

Vocoun was playing very well also. I think the right handed glove had a little to do with that. I know the announcers talked about it a little, but guys tend to get in a comfort zone with there shots going to a certain spot... expecting the glove on the opposite side.

What a perfect ending. Johnson stoning 3, and Crosby with the game winner in the shootout.

:applaudit:

OneForTheToe
10-24-2009, 01:52 PM
It was a great game. Johnson's play has me feeling good. Marc Andre Fleury is usually good for one extended injury a year. A good back-up goaltender is a must in the league. I also think we will be better than last season playing without Sarge - although i can't wait until he gets back.

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I also think we will be better than last season playing without Sarge - although i can't wait until he gets back.

Hard to tell just yet. In Sarge's absence, we've played 2 teams who are pretty much bottom feeders - a more accurate test will come tonight when we play da Debils.

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Debils strike first and are up 1-0 on the Pens with under 5 left in the 1st.

As usual, Brodeur is a stone wall thus far.

LETS GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
10-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Debils strike first and are up 1-0 on the Pens with under 5 left in the 1st.

As usual, Brodeur is a stone wall thus far.

LETS GO PENS!

in other Eastern Conference action, VL4 knocks-in a back-handed rebound with 0.5 seconds left in the First Period, as Tampa leads Buffalo 1-0:
former Penguins coach Scotty Bowman will be interviewed during the Lightning intermission report, and I'll try to post any comments he has regarding the Guins' start.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Well I don't see why they didn't review that second goal. I didn't see it go in, and I could have sworn I saw Fleury cover it up in the paint at the very last second on the replay.

Oh well...still lots of time left LETS GO PENS!!!

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 09:01 PM
2-0 Debils with a little under 4 minutes to go in the 2nd. It's not like the Pens aren't getting good SOG - Marty is on his game tonight it seems. I'm not losing faith in this one - we came back from 2 goals down last night to tie it up, force OT and win in the SO. :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

X-Terminator
10-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, time for the sleeper hold in the 3rd by the Devils. They are a much better team than Florida and they will be tough to come back on, playing that trap. Damn, watching this game has made me think it's 1995 all over again.

X-Terminator
10-24-2009, 09:38 PM
3-0 Devils. Not looking too good right now. Oh well, even if they lose, no biggie - they're still in first place. That trap plus Brodeur being on top of his game has been too much so far. Hopefully they can at least spoil his shutout bid.

X-Terminator
10-24-2009, 09:40 PM
And there goes Brodeur's shutout - GoGo gets the Pens on the board.

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Gogo puts it in the net to make it 3-1 Debs with a lot of time left in the 3rd. C'mon Pens - you can do it! :hope: :banana:

LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMom
10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Wooo! Gogo finally gets the Pens on the board!

Win or lose I just didn't want to give Marty a shutout. Still 10 mins left...hopefully we can at least send this into overtime, though I'm not holding my breath.

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Grrrrreat to see Serg skating with the guys in practice today in his red "touch me not" shirt! :banana: :thumbsup: I can't wait til' the return of my #55!

X-Terminator
10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Devils win 4-1 and ends the Pens' winning streak at 7 games. Don't know what it is, but the Devils always seem to play well in Pittsburgh, while the Pens usually play well in NJ.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is why do the announcers always mention that Bylsma hasn't had too many nights like this (IE, losses)? Don't those chumps realize that the Pens are going to lose a few games every now and then? I don't think Lt. Dan is going to lose too much sleep over losing a game. It happens, and there's a pretty good chance it's going to happen again.

Jmat
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
New Jersey played a great game. They were all over the Pens from the drop of the puck.

Jmat
10-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Wooo! Gogo finally gets the Pens on the board!

Win or lose I just didn't want to give Marty a shutout. Still 10 mins left...hopefully we can at least send this into overtime, though I'm not holding my breath.

I hear that. It got to wear I wasn't worried about getting the win I just didn't want Brodeur to get the shut out.
Fleury had a lousy game and our PP just doesn't have it.

4xSBChamps
10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
couldn't continue winning forever, so now they'll go back to the drawing-board, and hopefully start another string of good games

Fire Haley
10-25-2009, 08:56 AM
As usual, Brodeur is a stone wall

You got that right. It was his night.

steelpride12
10-25-2009, 12:57 PM
well we were not going to go 82 and 0 so time to move on New Jersey played the trap great and Marty was on his game what can you do. Montreal next time to go back to the drawing board!

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 04:37 PM
our PP just doesn't have it.

You do realize who the QB of our power play is, don't you? :wink:

Shea
10-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Yep, our PP won't be as potent until we get Gonch back.

Thankfully, he wasn't hurt more seriously because he'll be missed

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Yep, our PP won't be as potent until we get Gonch back.

Thankfully, he wasn't hurt more seriously because he'll be missed

I really hope the Pens get him signed by January - I will be devastated (and quite pissed off) if they aren't able to work out a deal. :horror: Gogo and Letang are up and coming Dmen and they're going to be awesome, but still aren't anywhere near Serg's level of play.

4xSBChamps
10-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I really hope the Pens get him signed by January - I will be devastated (and quite pissed off) if they aren't able to work out a deal. :horror: Gogo and Letang are up and coming Dmen and they're going to be awesome, but still aren't anywhere near Serg's level of play.

at his age, Gonch might realize 2 things in-favor of staying with the Guins:

1 - he may-not want to relocate again, after having established himself in 'da Burgh

2 - he'd have a hard-time going to another organ-I-zation that has this talent, and plays this style, which helps his game

As Letang & Goligoski develope, Gonch won't be relied-upon as-much in the future, relieving pressure on him as he becomes more of a 'complimentary' player in the latter stages of his career:
a hometown-discount might be in the works

X-Terminator
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
The main things that are holding up Gonchar's contract talks are the cap (will it increase or decrease next season), and the 35+ rule, which means if you sign a UFA who is 35 or older and he retires before the contract ends, the team is still responsible for the entire cap hit. The first one makes sense, the 2nd one also makes sense because more than likely Gonchar is going to want between $3-3.5 million per season. If they sign him to the 4-year deal that he is rumored to be seeking, that means he'd be 40 when the contract ends, which means it's possible, though not likely, that he may retire before then. That $3.5 million could end up hurting them down the road if he isn't playing and they need to re-sign key players (Jordan Staal and Alex Goligoski immediately come to mind). Plus they will have to sign Letang to an extension, and he's looking for $4 million per season. Still though, I think he will get signed, but they will either pay him more in salary at the beginning to reduce the overall cap hit or they will insist he sign for 3 years rather than 4, or both.

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 11:42 AM
The main things that are holding up Gonchar's contract talks are the cap (will it increase or decrease next season), and the 35+ rule, which means if you sign a UFA who is 35 or older and he retires before the contract ends, the team is still responsible for the entire cap hit. The first one makes sense, the 2nd one also makes sense because more than likely Gonchar is going to want between $3-3.5 million per season. If they sign him to the 4-year deal that he is rumored to be seeking, that means he'd be 40 when the contract ends, which means it's possible, though not likely, that he may retire before then. That $3.5 million could end up hurting them down the road if he isn't playing and they need to re-sign key players (Jordan Staal and Alex Goligoski immediately come to mind). Plus they will have to sign Letang to an extension, and he's looking for $4 million per season. Still though, I think he will get signed, but they will either pay him more in salary at the beginning to reduce the overall cap hit or they will insist he sign for 3 years rather than 4, or both.

I can see Serg playing until he hits 40 or maybe even beyond. He's still a top-notch Dman in the league and the Pens (and fans) found out how invaluable he is to this team last season - I seriously doubt they would have won the Cup without him.

I think a point of compromise needs to be reached here. He is more than worth $3-3.5 million per season for what he brings to the team and game and especially so if Letang is seeking $4 mil! :jawdrop: Serg, on the other hand, maybe needs to consider taking a 3 year deal and playing year to year after that. I can't fathom the Pens letting him go. :horror:

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I can see Serg playing until he hits 40 or maybe even beyond. He's still a top-notch Dman in the league and the Pens (and fans) found out how invaluable he is to this team last season - I seriously doubt they would have won the Cup without him.

I think a point of compromise needs to be reached here. He is more than worth $3-3.5 million per season for what he brings to the team and game and especially so if Letang is seeking $4 mil! :jawdrop: Serg, on the other hand, maybe needs to consider taking a 3 year deal and playing year to year after that. I can't fathom the Pens letting him go. :horror:

Now I agree with you all the way. He means the world to this defense, offense and PP. He is our overall QB and is important on every single one of his shifts. Gonch is worth the price and yes age seems to be no problem for his except for the injuries piling on early already.

Here is my only backdrop. He can't play for the Pens forever and we need to start realizing the potentional of the younger guys like GoGo and Letang because when Gonch retires (hopefully as a Pen) this team is going to be in a world of trouble if we don't find at least a temporary replacement for him. Time to think ahead, but i agree for now lock Gonch up, he is worth every penny! :thumbsup:

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Montreal tonight! Lets Go Pens time to rebound to a loss against the Devils and back on the winning track. Price is an excellent goaltender, but I feel Fluery won't be so rusty this game and will out perform.
Pens-4
Habs-2

4xSBChamps
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
..... am hearing that TK is a scratch for tonight's game against le Habs

:mad:

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 03:09 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=503840&navid=DL|PIT|home

Confirmed TK is out tonight with an undisclosed injury and is day to day.

Fire Haley
10-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Guerin on the new look Canadiens:

Quote:
“They are a talented team – very fast. They added speedsters like Hal Gill so we will probably have a guy on him Wednesday night just to shut him down. They are a fast team and a very talented team.”

ha ha!

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 07:49 PM
GOOOOOALLLLLL! A play where Kunitz fought hard for the puck, passes it to Guerin and Sid nails in past the goalie to give the Pens an early 1 to 0 lead! LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Cooke my favorite player and gritty tough guy, QUIT TAKING PENALTIES.

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
GOOOOALLLLLL! After a ring off the goalpost Crosby with a sweet backhander in the net and right now Pens begin another PP. Sid is on fire and the Pens are winning battles. Lets get this PP going, LETS GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
GOOOOOALLLLLL! A play where Kunitz fought hard for the puck, passes it to Guerin and Sid nails in past the goalie to give the Pens an early 1 to 0 lead! LETS GO PENS!

Kunitz don't have-to necessarily score goals, as-long-as he takes the body, set-up plays, and creates open-ice for Crosby

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
GOOOOALLLL! Besides the fact that Sid is insainly on fire right now and getting crazy dekes and shots the Habs with a delayed Penalty and the Pens with the extra attacker, Eaton wrister to the net behind the pads of the goalie and Rupp simply pokes it in to give the Pens a 3 to 0 lead in the second period!

SteelMember
10-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Hat trick for Sid!

:tt03:

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 08:56 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!! Anyone who leaves Sid wide open in front of the net deserves to be losing 4 to 0 as Sid just easily pushes the puck in the net and hits his skates, but counts as he gets a hat trick this early in the game and the Pens are just rolling 4 to 0!

SteelMember
10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Gotta be that "new" stick. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
The smurfs on the Habs are just getting beaten on the boards by the Pens.

Sid is on fire, Goligoski has been doing everything and Bourque is looking good too.

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 09:34 PM
4 to 1 Pens now, Habs get an easy 5 on 3 goal.

SteelMember
10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Gogo scores! PPG

5-1

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
GOOOOALLLLL Why not to improve our PP Goligoski from the point blows my Price and with 6 consecutive points this kid is looking like Sarge alot! Pens lead 5 to 1 late in the third.
LETS GO PENS!

SteelMember
10-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Kunitz finally gets one! Woot wooot

6-1

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
GOOOOOALLLLLLL!!! 4 points on the night and his first goal of the season, to all you hater, KUNITZZZZ!!! 6 to 1 now. Its all over goodnight ladies and gentlemen.

4xSBChamps
10-28-2009, 10:04 PM
"..... Ladies-and-gentlemen.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/Elvissilhouette.jpg

..... has just left the building!!!!!"

SteelMember
10-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Great game! They totally pounded them into submission in that one. Literally.

4xSBChamps
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I got my tix for the game at Florida on 23 November..... I'll be trying to take pix of Penguin fans outside the rink before the game, and will post them here

Shea
10-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Great game tonight against the Habs. Sid got a hatty (thought that was a cool tidbit about how it came on the third year anniversary of his first hatty in the league), and Kunitz got his goal finally. I'm loving this month of hockey so far! :tt03:

And Sid is going to be Jim Rome's guest tomorrow. Just a heads-up for anyone who might be interested.

Fire Haley
10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Easy win.

"U.S.S. Gill" was leaking badly. He looked horrible.

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Just got home a little while ago from the game - it was a good'in! :thumbsup::applaudit: Habs looked like shit and the Pens grossly outplayed them the entire game.

Good to see Sid get an H-trick and Kunitz was just buzzing all over that ice tonight. :drink: XT and I wanted to get a jump on traffic and left with about 3 minutes left in the game so we didn't get to see Kunitz's goal. :banging: GoGo has a wicked shot - almost looked like Serg back there firing from the point. :banana:

Pens are the first team this season thus far to reach double-digit W's! :applaudit:

LETS GO PENS!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
this team is on fire. :hot:

X-Terminator
10-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Just got home a little while ago from the game - it was a good'in! :thumbsup::applaudit: Habs looked like shit and the Pens grossly outplayed them the entire game.

Good to see Sid get an H-trick and Kunitz was just buzzing all over that ice tonight. :drink: XT and I wanted to get a jump on traffic and left with about 3 minutes left in the game so we didn't get to see Kunitz's goal. :banging: GoGo has a wicked shot - almost looked like Serg back there firing from the point. :banana:

Pens are the first team this season thus far to reach double-digit W's! :applaudit:

LETS GO PENS!

The thing is that I still don't think the Pens have played their best game just yet, though the Blues game was pretty close. And yet, they keep right on rolling, sans 2 hiccups to the Coyotes and Devils. That should scare the hell out of the rest of the league.

When was the last time Sid had more assists than goals this late into the season? I don't recall it ever happening. He's just 2 goals behind Capt. Caveman for the league lead. GoGo is tied for 2nd in the league in defense scoring and tied with Capt. Caveman for the league lead in plus/minus. Who would have though that? GoGo has been terrific all season, and he does remind me of a young Gonchar, right down to that wrist shot from the point that he scored on tonight. One thing is for sure - GoGo loves to shoot the puck, and that will be a big asset on the PP, because eventually he will start drawing forwards to him, leaving more room down low for Sid, Geno and Billy.

The Avs, BTW, joined the Pens tonight with their 10th win and claimed the NHL points lead. Looking at their roster before the season started, who in the world would have seen that coming? I know I didn't. I believe they are the youngest team in the league to boot. They will come down to Earth eventually, though.

RunWillieRun
10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Geno out 2-3 weeks. HCDB announced today...said he's been playing with a shoulder strain for a couple of weeks.

Also said TK will be out of tomorrow's game too.

Fire Haley
10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Malkin out 2-3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Head coach Dan Bylsma announced that forward Evgeni Malkin will miss 2-3 weeks with a shoulder strain. It is not the same injury that kept Malkin out of the lineup during the beginning of the 2006-07 season and the team is being cautious.

"Geno is going to be out of the lineup for a couple of weeks," Bylsma said. "He strained his shoulder about 10 days or so ago. I don’t know the exact day. It is precautionary for the player. We are worried about the safety of the shoulder. A couple weeks of rest and rehab will get that thing healthy so he can get back onto the ice.

Befitting a player who had played 254 consecutive regular-season games through Wednesday's action, Malkin was naturally disappointed by the news.

"Obviously he has played with it and could gut it out, which is what Geno would be apt to do," Bylsma said. "At this time of the year the concern is the player and this is a precautionary measure."

Although disappointed, Malkin will accompany the Penguins on their trip to Columbus later today.

"I can play good, but it’s the early season," Malkin said about the injury. "I feel good. It’s not a big problem, and I’m fine. I’ll be watching and supporting the team on the trip. It’ll be fine."

"It’s okay. It’s not the pain. It feels good. It’s because it doesn’t feel comfortable now."

----------------------------------------------

Bylsma announced after practice that goaltender Brent Johnson will make his first road start of the season Friday night in Columbus. In his career Johnson has posted strong numbers against the Blue Jackets, registering a 9-2-2 record to go with a 2.07 goals-against average. The nine wins are most for Johnson against any one team.

Lost amid the bombshell that Evgeni Malkin will be out a couple weeks was the update Bylsma provided on a couple other Penguins to miss practice Thursday. Forward Tyler Kennedy remains day-to-day with an undisclosed injury. He is not expected to play Friday night in Columbus. Chris Kunitz, coming off a four-point night against Montreal on Wednesday, was given a maintenance day by Bylsma.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=504016

OneForTheToe
10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
This will be interesting with Geno out of the lineup. This is not a slight at Sid, but it has occurred to me in the past that the Pens seemed able to maintain better with Sid out than Geno. Maybe it is just my perception. Should be interesting. Even if he misses three weeks we are looking at maybe 9 games:

Fri, Oct 30 @ Columbus 7:00 PM
Sat, Oct 31 Minnesota 7:30 PM
Tue, Nov 3 @ Anaheim 10:00 PM
Thu, Nov 5 @ LA Kings 10:30 PM
Sat, Nov 7 @ San Jose 10:30 PM
Tue, Nov 10 @ Boston 7:00 PM Versus
Thu, Nov 12 New Jersey 7:30 PM
Sat, Nov 14 Boston 7:30 PM
Mon, Nov 16 Anaheim 7:30 PM

Maybe he comes back against Ottawa on the 19th?

X-Terminator
10-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, this is just wonderful news. :doh: Anyone else want to get hurt, while we're at it, to totally derail our season? Remember last year around this time was when the Pens started getting bitten by the injury bug, while already having Gonchar and Whitney out of the lineup. This year it's Gonchar, Talbot and now Geno.

Now it's time to see if Jordan Staal can carry the load as the second-line center. Time to really earn your money, kid.

Also, the Pens recalled Chris Conner today to take Geno's spot in the lineup: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=504082&navid=DL|PIT|home

steelpride12
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Well I guess we can try to name some positives here. The Pens have an amazing record at 10 and 2 so if they were to struggle it wouldn't dig us too deep of a hole. We have been playing good enough to win without Gonch even though its been 2 games. Malkin out a few weeks, well as long as Crosby keep's up his play I still feel the Pens will be fine.
Columbus and Minnesota the next two games are terrible teams and The Pens can def. come out of both with a W. Also great news is that these are not LONGG term injuries and should have a fully healthy roster by December.
LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMom
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm not going to go into panic mode over this, simply because I don't think Bylsma or anybody else on the team is going to go into panic mode. I really don't think this will derail our season at all. Last year was worse I believe simply because moral was already low to begin with in that locker room and injuries just made it worse. They probably won't win every game while Malkin, Gonch, Talbot and Kennedy (still undisclosed injury...still wondering wth happened) are out, but I think this group of guys plays well despite it.

Remember in the '07-'08 season when Crosby, Fleury, and I can't even remember how many others were out with injuries and plenty of people stepped up their game and they played amazingly well despite it...I think that's a lot what this will be like.

LETS GO PENS!!!

Fire Haley
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Fri, Oct 30 @ Columbus 7:00 PM
Sat, Oct 31 Minnesota 7:30 PM
Tue, Nov 3 @ Anaheim 10:00 PM
Thu, Nov 5 @ LA Kings 10:30 PM
Sat, Nov 7 @ San Jose 10:30 PM
Tue, Nov 10 @ Boston 7:00 PM Versus
Thu, Nov 12 New Jersey 7:30 PM
Sat, Nov 14 Boston 7:30 PM
Mon, Nov 16 Anaheim 7:30 PM

Maybe he comes back against Ottawa on the 19th?

That's a tough stretch without Geno, Talbot, Kennedy.

potential lines?

kunitz-crosby-guerin
bourque-staal-fedotenko
cooke-adams-conner/dupuis
dupuis/conner-rupp-godard

X-Terminator
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
That's a tough stretch without Geno, Talbot, Kennedy.

potential lines?

kunitz-crosby-guerin
bourque-staal-fedotenko
cooke-adams-conner/dupuis
dupuis/conner-rupp-godard

The top 2 lines are correct...the third line is Cooke-Adams-Conner and the 4th line is Dupuis-Rupp-Godard.

Also steelpride - Columbus is not a terrible team, they are 2nd in their division. Minnesota, however, has been awful.

Fire Haley
10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Penguins recall forward, reconfigure lines

Friday, October 30, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Penguins are recalling forward Mark Letestu from their farm team in Wilkes-Barre.

Letestu, who is a 5 foot 11, 195-pound center, has two goals and three assists in four games with their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre this season.

Letestu's recall is expected to be announced after he arrives from Winnipeg, where the Baby Penguins will play the second of two games against the Manitoba Moose tonight.

Letestu is not scheduled to play when the Penguins face the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena here tonight, since he would be their 13th forward.

Injuries to Evgeni Malkin (shoulder) and Tyler Kennedy (undisclosed) have forced coach Dan Bylsma to reconfigure his forward lines and, after today's game-day skate, he divulged a few of the combinations he plans to use this evening.

Bylsma said the Chris Kunitz-Sidney Crosby-Bill Guerin line will remain intact, and that Jordan Staal will play between Ruslan Fedotenko and Chris Bourque on the No. 2 unit.

Matt Cooke and Craig Adams will be fixtures on the third line, Bylsma said, with the other winger changing throughout the game. The Penguins' other four forwards are Pascal Dupuis, Mike Rupp, Eric Godard and Chris Conner.

-------------------------------------

Looks like I was right.

Fire Haley
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Pens vs. Blue Jackets

Buck up little buckeroos.

Fire Haley
10-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Down 1-0.

Not lookin' good so far. Can anyone carry the puck?

Maybe they'll wake up

X-Terminator
10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
No Geno, no Sarge, no TK, no Talbot = no surprise that the Pens are losing. That's a lot of key players out of the lineup. It's going to be a rough November with all of those guys out.

OneForTheToe
10-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I hope Sid is ok. Sometimes those soft tissue injuries don't really show up until the body cools down. I'm not too upset about this game even if we do end up losing. Columbus is a good team. Nash is a beast. It is a team we would need to be closer to full strength to beat on a regular basis. We are good but we are not likely to beat too many good teams with and hand and one foot tied behind our backs. Just stay a float for the next couple weeks boys.

Fire Haley
10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Down 3-1.

Pens look totally disorganized - did Letang forget how to play hockey?

OneForTheToe
10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Wow, this team has heart.