PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46

4xSBChamps
12-20-2009, 08:39 AM
..... Did anyone see that weird call on Malkin when he touched the puck still in the penalty box and got another penalty right there? I never knew that was a penalty and not sure it should be, but its rare.....

I saw this quote last night on tPB regarding that infraction

[A minor penalty shall be imposed on any identifiable player on the players’ bench or penalty bench who, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or any opponent on the ice during the progress of the play. In addition, should a player about to come onto the ice, play the puck while one or both skates are still on the players’ or penalty bench, a minor penalty for interference shall be assessed.

I would've thought the call was 'too-many men on the ice', but it makes-sense

Gawd, the are playing good, and getting breaks right-now..... hope it continues until mid-June

HometownGal
12-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Didn't get to watch the game last night, but I'm ecstatic to see that our Pens pulled out another one in a SO! :banana: :thumbsup:

If everyone can stay healthy, I don't think there's much that can stop this team! :tt03:

steelpride12
12-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Im going to the game Monday against the Devs hoping our Pens can finally pull out a win against them now that were healthy!

4xSBChamps
12-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Im going to the game Monday against the Devs hoping our Pens can finally pull out a win against them now that were healthy!

I'm going to the matinee game on 2 January in Tampa, and I'll try to get some pictures of numerous Penguin fans milling-around the St. Pete Times Forum, which often has live music & festivities before afternoon games:
not-sure if I can get decent pictures inside the rink

:noidea:

X-Terminator
12-20-2009, 01:59 PM

HTG and I will be there as well. The thing that sucks is that Brodeur was pulled last night after giving up 3 goals on 6 shots, and he usually bounces back strong after a game like that. That ain't good for the boys in black and gold.

I'm going to the matinee game on 2 January in Tampa, and I'll try to get some pictures of numerous Penguin fans milling-around the St. Pete Times Forum, which often has live music & festivities before afternoon games:
not-sure if I can get decent pictures inside the rink

If it's a matinee game, it usually means an "L" in the standings. The Pens did not play well at all in afternoon games last season and lost the only afternoon tilt they played this season, 3-2 to the Isles on Black Friday in a sub-par performance.

4xSBChamps
12-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I read on tPB that Eaton didn't skate this morning, after tangling with Grier going into the boards Saturday night, so it is possible that he won't play this evening against the Debs

Shea
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Sucks that we lost tonight. Atleast, you guys at the game got to witness some history with Brodeur getting his shutout record. Wish it didn't have to come against us, but it is quite an accomplishment.

Was really glad to see Jordan come back in the third. That puck to the face looked awfully scary with his reaction when he went down and the amount of blood pouring from his face. I was worried that he might have injured one of his eyes, couldn't tell at the time. Thank God he didn't. I wish more players would wear visors to better protect their faces.

Onto the Senators Wednesday night, and hopefully a start to another winning streak.

4xSBChamps
12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Was really glad to see Jordan come back in the third.

some have a different view

http://www.phillysportsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53843

Shea
12-21-2009, 09:40 PM
some have a different view

http://www.phillysportsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53843

:shake01:

Very tacky. I just don't get some people in this world. I wouldn't want to see that happen to ANY player in the league and there are quite of few of them that I can't stand.

"Something good happened tonight" .... God, what an idiot.

Shea
12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/SusiiQ/618_1.jpg?t=1261449442

Looks like he cut up the one side of his nose, tore up the bridge, and even got some stitches on the other side.

Being down 4-0 in the third against Brodeur and if I was the team doctor I wouldn't have let him come back in the game. Hockey doesn't work that way though.

His poor parents. If they were watching, that had to have scared the bejeebers out of them when he went down. Just being a fan and seeing that made my stomach turn.

steelpride12
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Well just got back from the game and sighh hard to witness that game. I felt the Pens being healthy would not let the Devils walk all over them, but Broduer would not be stopped. Congrats on the record, but damn Pens are great this season, but the Devs and Hawks could be a problem

Shea
12-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Well just got back from the game and sighh hard to witness that game. I felt the Pens being healthy would not let the Devils walk all over them, but Broduer would not be stopped. Congrats on the record, but damn Pens are great this season, but the Devs and Hawks could be a problem

Sorry it wasn't a better game with a better outcome since you were there. I notice XT is online as well and he hasn't touched this thread which is unlike him. Maybe the bummers have set in for those that were in house.

Sorry guys that were there. :hug: It was hard to watch from home so I bet it must have been that much worse in person.

4xSBChamps
12-22-2009, 05:07 AM
before last year's playoffs began, I felt New Jersey woulda given the Penguins the most trouble, getting outta the Eastern Conference, but the Devils didn't advance to play us:
I believe this year is no-different

:mad:

HometownGal
12-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry it wasn't a better game with a better outcome since you were there. I notice XT is online as well and he hasn't touched this thread which is unlike him. Maybe the bummers have set in for those that were in house.

Sorry guys that were there. :hug: It was hard to watch from home so I bet it must have been that much worse in person.

XT and I were at the game last night and neither one of us was really upset about it, as the Pens were due for a letdown after winning 5 straight. We've always had trouble with the Devs, particularly in our house lately, and Marty was a stone wall last night. Elias scored his usual goal against us and at that point, I didn't have a good feeling about the game.

I was more upset about Jordan Staal taking a puck in the face. I know he came back onto the ice in the 3rd with a shield, but anyone have any info on how he's doing? Gawd - that was horrifying to watch him writhing in pain like that on the ice. :horror:

Congrats to Marty on the shutout record! :drink: I hate playing against him, but he is a phenomenal netminder and one helluva classy guy.

HometownGal
12-22-2009, 08:04 AM
His poor parents. If they were watching, that had to have scared the bejeebers out of them when he went down. Just being a fan and seeing that made my stomach turn.

Y'know - I said the same thing to XT after Jordan went to the locker room. As a parent myself, I can't imagine the horror and pain a parent must feel when they see their child (even as an adult) injured and in such intense pain as Jordan was last night. :horror:

X-Terminator
12-22-2009, 10:10 AM
XT and I were at the game last night and neither one of us was really upset about it, as the Pens were due for a letdown after winning 5 straight. We've always had trouble with the Devs, particularly in our house lately, and Marty was a stone wall last night. Elias scored his usual goal against us and at that point, I didn't have a good feeling about the game.

I was more upset about Jordan Staal taking a puck in the face. I know he came back onto the ice in the 3rd with a shield, but anyone have any info on how he's doing? Gawd - that was horrifying to watch him writhing in pain like that on the ice. :horror:

Congrats to Marty on the shutout record! :drink: I hate playing against him, but he is a phenomenal netminder and one helluva classy guy.

It's like I said last night - some teams just have your number in any given season. Last year, it was the Sens and Leafs. This year it's the Devils...so far. They play again on December 30 at The Rock...and I bet they go up there and win. It's the way this series has gone in recent years - the Devils play well here, and the Pens play well up there. But you're right - I wasn't upset at all, because they were due for a loss. They also come back strong after losses like that, so the Sens had better watch out tomorrow night.

That was a nasty shot that Staal took, and I'm glad he took it on the nose rather than his orbital bone. You've had a broken orbital before and know how it feels. If he had broken it, it's 6-8 weeks on the shelf.

I said before the game that I had a feeling Marty would be damn tough last night since he was pulled on Saturday, and I was right. He was locked in all night. Congrats to him on his record - it's an amazing feat that not many people thought would ever be broken. He has a legitimate claim to being the greatest goalie of all time, though both Sawchuk and Dryden won more Cups.

Shea
12-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Saw an interview with Jordan today on the Pens site and was amazed to find out that his nose wasn't broken. I thought for sure he had cracked his snoz by all the blood immediately rushing from his face, but it turned out to be just lacerations.

Dodged a bullet, that could have been a devastating injury if he had got hit elsewhere in the face, especially an eye. Thank god he'll be just fine.

Will make for some interesting family X-mas pics this year though. :chuckle:

SteelMember
12-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Eaton expected to miss week (http://postgazette.com/pg/09357/1022976-61.stm)

It looks as if Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton will miss at least a couple more games.

Coach Dan Bylsma said yesterday that while the full extent of Eaton's injury is not known yet, the best projection is that he will miss about a week.

"[We need to] wait and see how he responds to treatment, but it's not a serious injury," Bylsma said. "It's going to be a week or so."

The Penguins are not disclosing the nature of Eaton's injury. He had his left knee iced yesterday. He did not practice with the team at Mellon Arena.

Eaton got hurt Saturday night when he and Mike Grier of the Buffalo Sabres got tangled and went into the boards behind the Buffalo net during the second period of a 2-1 Penguins shootout win. As Eaton fell, his left leg bent underneath his body.

He missed Monday's 4-0 loss to New Jersey.

Staal made of strong stuff
Jordan Staal admitted he was a little worried after he got hit in the face with a puck in the second period Monday because of the extent of the pain and bleeding.

"I felt like my nose was off. It wasn't a good feeling," the big Penguins center said. "I knew it hurt. That was about it. I knew it was my nose. I was happy it didn't hit my eye."

Staal returned for the third period with a full-face shield attached to his helmet. It was still there when he practiced yesterday. He said after the injury heals he might consider using one of the half-visors popular with players. He normally uses no face protection.

His swollen nose isn't broken, but the cut required five stitches and medical glue. It is shaped like an upside-down horseshoe, running across the bridge of his nose and down toward each nostril.

"It's certainly not a pretty injury, but I don't think there was any question once we found out that it was only superficial that he was going to come back out there," said Bylsma, who offered a somewhat graphic description of what Staal endured to return to the game.

"It's a tough way to play when you've got a nose issue and you're kind of leaking both probably internally in your sinuses and externally out of your nose," the coach said. "It's a bit gruesome ... but he's a hockey player getting back out there with an injury."

Center and captain Sidney Crosby said the team appreciated how Staal got back into the game.

"That's pretty gutsy," he said. "As players, we were really happy to see him come back.

"We weren't really sure where the puck had gotten him when he first went down. He looked to be in a lot of pain. He's a tough guy. He's got three brothers who probably have done worse than that."

Rebounding not a concern
When you're winning more than twice as much as you're losing, as the 25-11-1 Penguins are, each defeat tends to stand out.

That is probably especially true with the Penguins after their third loss to New Jersey in as many tries, all at home, by a combined score of 12-2.

Yet Crosby and Bylsma aren't concerned about a residual effect tonight when Ottawa visits Mellon Arena. Crosby said the team already showed a good response by coming back from a poor second period against the Devils and then going hard for more than an hour yesterday.

"I liked our third period," Crosby said. "It would have been easy to go out there and not play the way we're supposed to and give in. I don't think guys did that. They played hard the whole third period.

"I think it carried over. We had a good practice. We know we, for whatever reason, had a bit of a lull in the second period and that was the difference in the game, but guys came to work here [yesterday] and we'll try to rebound [tonight]."

The Penguins had a four-game losing streak in November during a spate of injuries but otherwise have not lost twice in a row in regulation this season.

"If you look at us this year in particular, we've had some losses where we've had to respond different times," Bylsma said. "We've done that."

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I obviously didn't see this since I was at the game Monday, but Paul Steigerwald really put his foot in his mouth by making this very tasteless and classless joke about Hobey Baker's death:

m2om0LsSDk8

I can't say I'm surprised. I have never liked him in that role because he sucks, IMO, but this shows how big a jackass he is on top of that. Fire him and bring back Lange!

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Paul Steigerwald is a classless jackass extraordinaire, so I'm not at all surprised at his ignorance. :jerkit: I'm all in favor of bringing back Mike Lange - it hasn't been the same without him. :thumbsup:

Game just started. Looks like Bylsma is juggling lines a bit to try to get Geno going. Feds is now on the top line with Sid and Kunitz is on Malkin's line. I'm praying Geno gets a goal or two (or three) tonight. Serg said in the pre-game interview that he thinks maybe Geno is just trying to hard to make a play instead of letting it come naturally and he could very well be right. Hey Geno - stay out of the sin bin tonight, please? :chuckle:

Pens now on PP.

LETS GO PENS!!!

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
GENO GETS HIS GOAL ON THE PP!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

1-0 Pens early in the 1st.

LETS GO PENS!

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 06:28 PM
The Pens looking strong so far - Fleury making some key saves and then getting a goal on the PP. Both PPs looked very impressive, and if it keeps going like that, they may get a couple more before the night is over.

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 06:36 PM
And just as I say that, the Pens give up a goal to Volchenkov off the face-off, then spend about 2 minutes running around in their own zone. Fleury so far has been very good and has kept the Sens from putting 2 or 3 goals up. Guys need to wake up and give Flower some help!

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 06:43 PM
..... Paul Steigerwald really put his foot in his mouth by making this very tasteless and classless joke about Hobey Baker's death:
I can't say I'm surprised. I have never liked him in that role because he sucks.....

I don't mind Paul, but after his brother, John, called Pittsburghers 'jagovs' in the mid-'80s on WDVE for not going to see the pitiful Pirates, I wouldn't have minded him soaking his head in a bucket of water for 5 months:
bad-enough tax-payer money went towards building their playpen, but I don't gotta listen to some talking-head call me names for choosing to not-attend an inferior product

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Pens outshot 24-9 in the first period. Wow. I don't ever remember them giving up that many shots in one period. They can't be happy with that.

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Billy G gets his second goal of the game and Pens up 5-1 with 5 minutes left in the 2nd. :banana: :drink: :thumbsup:

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Geno scores his 2nd goal of the game and the Pens are up 6-1 at the end of the 2nd. :banana: Geno is having a phenomenal game thus far! :drink:

LETS GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 07:49 PM
..... ya think Gino likes having Kunitz & Guerin as line-mates?

:wink02:

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 07:52 PM
The Sens have to feel like...what the hell? They have 39 shots through 2, and they're down 6-1. Pens get 5 goals in the period on 15 shots, Guerin with 2 of those goals and Kunitz with 4 points. Some pretty goals too, especially the Fedotenko goal - what a sweet passing play that was with Staal and Talbot setting him up. They are also 3-6 on the PP - quick, when was the last time the Pens scored 3 PPG in a game? They all should be bowing down at the feet of the Flower, though, for keeping them in the game when the Sens were getting shot after shot after shot in the first period.

Now...will there be some fireworks in the 3rd with Chris Neil running around like he's King Kong and Shean Donovan trying to get Matt Cooke to fight after he put him out with a knee-on-knee hit? Well, if it was 1989 instead of 2009, then yes...hell, if it was 1999, there would be. But it isn't, so there won't be much.

The officiating, BTW, has been brutal as well.

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Tampa scores 2 goals, the second by rookie D Hedman, in the 2nd to negate a pair of 1st period goals by Philthadelphia, so they are tied at 2 with less-than 7 minutes to play in the middle stanza

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 08:08 PM
My Serg just scored to make it 7-1 Pens! :applaudit: :hug: He has a 3 point night thus far. :drink:

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I would submit that this game is showing the Pittsburgh fans the difference between the Debs' defense and Ottawa's lack-of-same, more than anything we already knew about the Penguins' ability to bury the puck:
the Sens are hanging their goalies out to dry

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 08:14 PM
GENO GETS HIS HAT TRICK!!!! :applaudit: :hatsoff: :banana:

Pens lead 8-1. They're kickin' some Sens azz tonight! :drink:

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey XT - why the hell couldn't we have had this game in our plan? :banging: :banging:

(Wonder if the kill joy who usually sits in front of us is in the house tonight? :chuckle:)

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
GENO GETS HIS HAT TRICK!!!!

Yah, yah.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/MalkincelebratesversusBiron.jpg

keep booing

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Rendellphia scores with 10 minutes to play, and leads 3-2, with about 7:00 left

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Pens win 8-2! :applaudit: Guerin is player of the game with 2 goals, 2 assists and 9 SOG. :hatsoff:

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey XT - why the hell couldn't we have had this game in our plan? :banging: :banging:

(Wonder if the kill joy who usually sits in front of us is in the house tonight? :chuckle:)

I was thinking the same thing! :doh: :banging: Now watch - now that we sold our tickets for Sunday, they'll shit-kick the Leafs too. It would be just our luck!

(He likely wasn't there - I think he has the same plan we do. He'll be there Sunday though, I'm sure!)

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 08:57 PM
'Captain Leadership' converts a 2-on-1 with 2:32 left, and the Square Heads now lead 4-2

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Pens win 8-2! :applaudit: Guerin is player of the game with 2 goals, 2 assists and 9 SOG. :hatsoff:

And yet, that was only good enough for the 3rd star of the game, believe it or not - Fleury was #1, Malkin #2. Fleury did deserve a star for sure - without him, the Pens could have been behind in the first rather than tied.

4xSBChamps
12-23-2009, 09:15 PM
And yet, that was only good enough for the 3rd star of the game, believe it or not - Fleury was #1, Malkin #2. Fleury did deserve a star for sure - without him, the Pens could have been behind in the first rather than tied.

I have the feeling that Fleury may never get the credit that he deserves in this town, with so-much praise going to Sid & Gino, but he genuinely seems to not-care, so long as he contributes to wins

:thumbsup:

X-Terminator
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I have the feeling that Fleury may never get the credit that he deserves in this town, with so-much praise going to Sid & Gino, but he genuinely seems to not-care, so long as he contributes to wins

No, he won't get as much press as Sid and Geno, but believe me, he gets plenty of credit around here. Besides, like you said, he doesn't care about any of that. Nobody on the team cares about any of that. All they care about is racking up the Ws and hopefully hoisting the Cup again in June.

If we could only take down the Devils and Sharks it would put me on top of the world..

Who cares about the Sharks? They're in the West, and the only time we'd have to worry about them is if the Pens face them in the Final. The Devils, though, are a different story. So far they have had their number, but I'm going on record right now and say that the Pens will win at least 2 of the 3 games left in Jersey, starting next Wednesday. That's the way this series has gone in recent years - the road team has won the majority of the games. They will also have to worry about Washington, who won again tonight and won't face them for the first time until January 21. They will have finished the season series with both the Panthers and Sens by then.

Shea
12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I obviously didn't see this since I was at the game Monday, but Paul Steigerwald really put his foot in his mouth by making this very tasteless and classless joke about Hobey Baker's death

I was a bit confused about what he was talking about during the game because I didn't know who Hobey was or how he died. Have since looked it up and it was tacky of him to say such a thing and then laugh. But if I'm honest with myself, I gotta admit that I've always had trouble trying not to laugh at the most inappropriate of times. It's always a situation that isn't at all funny, yet I've in the past reacted with laughter. Don't know why .:doh: A poor reaction to painful situations is all I can come up with.

Great game tonight. Loved how so many different players racked up tons of points. Also loved seeing Geno break through with a big game, and loved hearing the crowd chanting for Billy to get his own hatty.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06umexqaRR6Zm/610x.jpg

Great seeing Jordan on the bench smiling, and great seeing Geno smiling as well. He did that a lot tonight, and rightfully so. :thumbsup:

steelpride12
12-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Woohoo! Pens doing what they always do and bounced back from a loss with a huge victory and Fluery truly proved those games are just little side tracks and he is back to prime flower!
Great game by the Pens Geno with the hat trick great to see him start racking up the goals, Guerin one goal away from one as well with Kunitz with 4 points it was an all around beat down in Pittsburgh I loved it!
GO PENS!

Shea
12-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Was bored and clicking around different sites about the Pens tonight and came across this picture:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2zg8zt0.jpg

No wonder there is current debates going on about the evolution of goalies equipment size and the disadvantage that comes with goals not being scored because of it.

Damn ..... :jawdrop:

Take away the pads on the upper body and that really puts into perspective how huge the pads have gotten. Gretzky's records will never be touched after seeing that.

4xSBChamps
12-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Was bored and clicking around different sites about the Pens tonight and came across this picture:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2zg8zt0.jpg

No wonder there is current debates going on about the evolution of goalies equipment size and the disadvantage that comes with goals not being scored because of it.

Damn ..... :jawdrop:

Take away the pads on the upper body and that really puts into perspective how huge the pads have gotten. Gretzky's records will never be touched after seeing that.

compare the size of the leg-pads with those of Ken Dryden's

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%202009-2010/KenDrydenleaningonstickduringbreak.jpg

Shea
12-25-2009, 09:53 PM
compare the size of the leg-pads with those of Ken Dryden's

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%202009-2010/KenDrydenleaningonstickduringbreak.jpg

Just imagine the points Sid and Geno would put up if the goalies currently wore such small equipment. It would be a scoring bonanza every night on the ice. Kinda wish that would be the case, but it goes both ways.

Flower probably likes the equipment as is, and would more than likely scream at the thought of going back to the ole days. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
12-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Malkin and Gonchar have been named to the Russian Olympic team. Congrats to Geno and Sarge! But sorry boys...GO USA!!!! :usa:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511076

Russian Orthodox Christmas is still 13 days away but that didn’t prevent Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Sergei Gonchar from receiving an early present Friday morning. Malkin and Gonchar were among 23 players selected by general manager Vladislav Tretiak to represent Russia at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver.

Both players expressed their delight at being chosen to represent their country following practice on Saturday night at Southpointe.

“To play for the national team is a big honor for me,” Gonchar said. “I didn’t think about it that much to be honest with you. … I was hoping I was going to make it and play there.”

“I am very excited,” Malkin said. “We have a very good team. I thank the coach. I am going to try to help my team. I have not played with the national team in three years so it’s good for me.”

Each has plenty of international experience as Malkin and Gonchar have represented their country on several occasions, including the 2006 Games in Turin, Italy. Russia placed fourth in those Games, losing to the Czech Republic in the Bronze medal game.

“I was a part of three Olympics already and this is going to be a fourth one for me,” Gonchar said. “I remember them all and they are going to be something you remember forever. To be a part of it is a hug honor and obviously I am looking forward to it.”

Although both were near-locks neither hurt their case with Tretiak in attendance on Wednesday night during an 8-2 defeat of the Ottawa Senators at Mellon Arena. Malkin finished off his fourth career hat trick while Gonchar added a goal and two assists.

Malkin, only 19 during the Turin Games, was one of the top forwards for Russia in 2006, registering six points (2G-4A) in seven games. He was also a top penalty killer for the Russians. This time more offense will be expected from Malkin as he moves up to center one of the top two lines. Malkin believes the plethora of offensive talent on the team will ease his transition in becoming a team leader.

“It is not a lot of pressure on me,” Malkin said. “We have a lot of good players and coaches. We have a good team and we will come ready to play.”

Malkin says he will be ready no matter who head coach Slava Bykov surrounds him with, although fans from all around the world will clamor to combine the potential all-world trio of Malkin, the Washington Capitals Alexander Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk of the Atlanta Thrashers.

“I want to play with Ovechkin,” Malkin said. “We have played together before. … I have also played with Kovalchuk before. We will see what the lines will be. It doesn’t matter who I will play with I will be ready.”

As a veteran who has been around the game a long time both in the NHL and internationally, Gonchar said it’s only natural for Malkin to have to assume an even larger role in his second go-around on the Olympic stage.

“When you grow up your role changes,” Gonchar said. “He has proven himself at the NHL during the regular season and in the playoffs. Now he has to do it at the international level and prove himself during the Olympic Games.”

Malkin last suited up for Russia during the 2007 World Championships held in Moscow. He notched 10 points (5G-5A) in nine games that spring to earn a berth on the all-tournament team.

Gonchar will be representing Russia in Olympic competition for the fourth time. He was a member of the silver-medal winning Russian entry in 1998 and captured a bronze medal in 2002. In 20 career Olympic Games Gonchar has four assists.

“I would say for any player, I don’t care what age you are, I don’t think you take this for granted,” Gonchar said. “At any point in your career it’s a big honor. It’s probably more special now.

“You understand that there aren’t as many chances for you. For me, it is my fourth Olympics, so it is special. I probably feel more (appreciative) about this one than the previous ones.”

Gonchar’s most recent international competition also came during the 2007 World Championships when he registered five points (1G-4A) in nine games. During those games he was paired with Andrei Markov of the Montreal Canadiens and Gonchar said he wouldn’t oppose a reunion with the highly-skilled blueliner in Vancouver.

“I played with him in the World Championships in Moscow,” Gonchar said. “We played together and we had a good chemistry. I don’t know what the coach has in mind but at the same time I think we have played well together and we understand each other.”

Russia is one of the first countries to name their provisionary roster as the United States and Canadian squads are expected to be announced within the next week. Several Penguins, Alex Goligoski, Bill Guerin and Brooks Orpik for the U.S. and Sidney Crosby, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal for Canada, are among the top candidates for their respective countries.

As head coach Dan Bylsma expressed his delight in watching Malkin and Gonchar become the first Penguins to be officially selected to represent their countries, he also talked about expecting similar announcements in the coming days – something he thinks is great for both the organization and the individual players.

“I don’t know when the scheduled announcements are for each team but we are certainly excited to see those guys be a part of that,” Bylsma said. “I think we all expected them to be. It’s a great honor.

“It is a big day for them and we are certainly pleased to see our guys be a part of that.”

Final rosters must be submitted by Feb. 15, 2010.

OneForTheToe
12-26-2009, 10:41 PM
If the USA beats the Russians this time you couldn't label it a miricle since everybody has pros, but it would definately be a huge upset.

X-Terminator
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
If the USA beats the Russians this time you couldn't label it a miricle since everybody has pros, but it would definately be a huge upset.

I wouldn't say that, necessarily. The Russians will have some of the best players in the game on it for sure, but the U.S. team won't be slouches. Here's a list of guys who will likely be on the team:

Forwards:

Zach Parise, NJD
Dustin Brown, LA
Paul Stastny, COL
Ryan Malone, TB
Phil Kessel, TOR
Ryan Kesler, VAN
Patrick Kane, CHI
Scott Gomez, MTL
Bill Guerin, PIT
Jamie Langenbrunner, NJD
Tim Connolly, BUF
Joe Pavelski, SJ
Bobby Ryan, ANA

Defensemen:

Jack Johnson, LA
Erik Johnson, STL
Ryan Suter, NSH
Ryan Whitney, ANA
Brooks Orpik, PIT
Alex Goligoski, PIT
Brian Rafalski, DET

Goalies:

Ryan Miller, BUF
Tim Thomas, BOS

Not exactly Capt. Caveman, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Markov and Gonchar, but that's a pretty good lineup. Plus, the Russians' problem will be on D - they're mobile guys but not physical guys, and that could hurt them playing on an NHL-sized rink. The U.S. and Canadian teams will be built specifically to take advantage of that.

4xSBChamps
12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't say that, necessarily. The Russians will have some of the best players in the game on it for sure, but the U.S. team won't be slouches. Here's a list of guys who will likely be on the team:

Forwards:

Zach Parise, NJD
Dustin Brown, LA
Paul Stastny, COL
Ryan Malone, TB
Phil Kessel, TOR
Ryan Kesler, VAN
Patrick Kane, CHI
Scott Gomez, MTL
Bill Guerin, PIT
Jamie Langenbrunner, NJD
Tim Connolly, BUF
Joe Pavelski, SJ
Bobby Ryan, ANA

Defensemen:

Jack Johnson, LA
Erik Johnson, STL
Ryan Suter, NSH
Ryan Whitney, ANA
Brooks Orpik, PIT
Alex Goligoski, PIT
Brian Rafalski, DET

Goalies:

Ryan Miller, BUF
Tim Thomas, BOS

Not exactly Capt. Caveman, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Markov and Gonchar, but that's a pretty good lineup. Plus, the Russians' problem will be on D - they're mobile guys but not physical guys, and that could hurt them playing on an NHL-sized rink. The U.S. and Canadian teams will be built specifically to take advantage of that.

this is as talented a group of individual talent the Americans have brought to the Olympics, and it'll be interesting to see if they can be molded into a team capable of playing competitively against the Canadians & Europeans

8YCVtPVP5wI&feature=PlayList&p=5FB61E09D8F223F2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=22

X-Terminator
12-26-2009, 11:35 PM
this is as talented a group of individual talent the Americans have brought to the Olympics, and it'll be interesting to see if they can be molded into a team capable of playing competitively against the Canadians & Europeans

Let's hope so. And that lineup leaves off vets like Drury and Gionta, a guy like Dustin Byfuglien, who IMO would look GREAT on a checking line with Kesler and Brown, a solid D-man in Paul Martin and Zach Bogosian, who I think is going to be a superstar D in the future.

pittsburghp8baller
12-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Let's hope so. And that lineup leaves off vets like Drury and Gionta, a guy like Dustin Byfuglien, who IMO would look GREAT on a checking line with Kesler and Brown, a solid D-man in Paul Martin and Zach Bogosian, who I think is going to be a superstar D in the future.

With Brian Burke as the GM, i dont see how Byfuglien or even David Backes dont make the team.

X-Terminator
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
With Brian Burke as the GM, i dont see how Byfuglien or even David Backes dont make the team.

Backes is a penalty machine, which is why he won't make it. Byfuglien definitely should get a long look, though - not just for his size and skill, but his versatility as well since he can play defense and forward.

Anyway, lost in all of the hoopla over the Steelers today, the Pens are back in action tonight against the Leafs, with a chance to take sole possession of the division and conference leads if they win tonight.

HometownGal
12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Leafs ahead 3-2 at the end of the 2nd. Pens goals scored by Cookie and Sid.

LETS GO PENS!

X-Terminator
12-27-2009, 07:42 PM
The Leafs so far have looked quicker than the Pens, which is to be expected since it's their first game back after the break and the Leafs played last night to get their legs back again. Plus, the puck has been bouncing all over the place on the Pens all night. Hopefully they can break through and pull this thing out in the 3rd.

4xSBChamps
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
my fiancee 'promised' some of her old friends we'd meet them for dinner this evening, so I missed the 1st two periods, but I'm currently in-front of the puter, catchin' a stream of the game, wearing my Columbia Blue sweater:
order will soon be restored

X-Terminator
12-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Don't know why, but this loss really pissed me off. I know it's their first game after the break and all..maybe it's giving up the GWG so soon after tying it up, or that they could have taken over the division/conference lead. I don't know, but I'm REALLY upset right now. First time all season.

They need to start defending their home turf a little bit better too - it's their 7th regulation home loss and 8th overall, and they've let those teams come in and dictate play more often than not. You have to hold serve at home so that when you have a month like January when you play 2/3 of your games on the road, it doesn't hurt as much if you don't do well.

Shea
12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I was disappointed with the loss as well. I think the Leafs answering so shortly after our game-tying goal late in the third upset me the most. I had been waiting for that goal, and wrongfully assumed when we scored that this would be the kiss of death for Toronto going into OT. Oh well....

Things may also get a bit more hairy the next two nights with back-to-back road games against two very good goalies. It will be a tough test for the team, but I believe!

4xSBChamps
12-29-2009, 05:49 AM
bus-pushing in Buffalo

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511393&navid=DL|PIT|home

if they win tonight, it might become a regular portion of the pre-game ritual

HometownGal
12-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Don't know why, but this loss really pissed me off. I know it's their first game after the break and all..maybe it's giving up the GWG so soon after tying it up, or that they could have taken over the division/conference lead. I don't know, but I'm REALLY upset right now. First time all season.

They need to start defending their home turf a little bit better too - it's their 7th regulation home loss and 8th overall, and they've let those teams come in and dictate play more often than not. You have to hold serve at home so that when you have a month like January when you play 2/3 of your games on the road, it doesn't hurt as much if you don't do well.

Whew - I'm sure glad we sold our tickets for that game. Saved me from punching you in the head. :chuckle: :wink:

I wasn't happy with the loss especially with the road trip coming up against the Sabes and Debils but as you well know, I never rule the Pens out of a game no matter who our opponent is or where they're playing. Keep the faith! :drink:

X-Terminator
12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Whew - I'm sure glad we sold our tickets for that game. Saved me from punching you in the head. :chuckle: :wink:

I wasn't happy with the loss especially with the road trip coming up against the Sabes and Debils but as you well know, I never rule the Pens out of a game no matter who our opponent is or where they're playing. Keep the faith! :drink:

It's not that I don't have faith - they just won the Cup and are one of the top teams in the league. And keep in mind, I predicted that they'd beat the Devils tomorrow night, and I haven't wavered on that. They seem to play better against them up there than here. It's just that here was another team that the Pens should beat at home, and they lost. Phoenix, Carolina, Minnesota, who was really struggling at the time, and now Toronto. I don't mind losing to teams like the Devils and Blackhawks - they're 2 of the best teams in the league. But they should beat the teams they're supposed to beat at home. Anyway, as with every game after a loss, I suspect they'll come out with a very strong effort tonight, win or lose.

4xSBChamps
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
We are going to this Saturday's afternoon game in Tampa Bay, and it was announced during last evening's telecast of the Broons @ Bolts game (a 2-1 Tampa win) that the normal 30 minute pre-game show would be done outside the St. Pete Times Forum, where the Lightning often have live music, face-painting, and give-aways before matinee games:
I'm gonna try to get my ugly mug shown, or at-least lead the many Penguins fans in cheers of 'LET'S GO PENS, LET'S GO PENS' while they are doing the show

HometownGal
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Pens up on the Sabes 3-0 early in the 2nd. :applaudit: Miller just pulled out of the net. :thumbsup:

Goals by Guerin, Staal and Kunitz. :banana: :hatsoff:

HometownGal
12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Sabes just scored on a penalty shot awarded due to Jay McKee covering up puck in Pens net.

Pens 3-1.

X-Terminator
12-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I did not like what I saw after Stafford's PS (which shouldn't have been awarded anyway - McKee did not use his hand to cover up the puck in the crease). Now is NOT the time for them to start coasting - they have to keep the pressure on.

X-Terminator
12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Pens have blown a 3-goal lead and the Sabres are ahead with less than 5 minutes left. Friggin unbelievable. That's all I'm going to say right now - I don't want to come across as a FWF.

SteelCityMom
12-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Pens have blown a 3-goal lead and the Sabres are ahead with less than 5 minutes left. Friggin unbelievable. That's all I'm going to say right now - I don't want to come across as a FWF.

I'm ticked too. As far as angry about a loss goes, this one takes the cake for me...simply because they lost in the same sort of fashion that they were losing games last year before Bylsma started coaching.

I knew we were in trouble when Lalime went in goal though. I wish they had waited until the Pens scored a 4th goal to pull Miller.

X-Terminator
12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm ticked too. As far as angry about a loss goes, this one takes the cake for me...simply because they lost in the same sort of fashion that they were losing games last year before Bylsma started coaching.

I knew we were in trouble when Lalime went in goal though. I wish they had waited until the Pens scored a 4th goal to pull Miller.

What ticks me off is that they had a chance to at least get 3 points out of the last 2 games and they came up empty. Tonight's game just infuriates me more than Sunday's game, because they had it right in their hands and gave it away. I give Lalime credit for playing well, but really...the Pens had no business losing this game tonight.

SteelCityMom
12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
What ticks me off is that they had a chance to at least get 3 points out of the last 2 games and they came up empty. Tonight's game just infuriates me more than Sunday's game, because they had it right in their hands and gave it away. I give Lalime credit for playing well, but really...the Pens had no business losing this game tonight.

Agreed, although I'm not gonna get too worked up over it. Seasons still young and I know they're not going to win every game.

I do think something was wrong with Fleury after (I can't remember who it was) fell on him pretty hard. I was thinking they should have put Johnson in after that, he was looking a little shaky.

Just gotta hope they play better against the Devils is all.

X-Terminator
12-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Agreed, although I'm not gonna get too worked up over it. Seasons still young and I know they're not going to win every game.

I do think something was wrong with Fleury after (I can't remember who it was) fell on him pretty hard. I was thinking they should have put Johnson in after that, he was looking a little shaky.

Just gotta hope they play better against the Devils is all.

No, they're not going to win every game, but they should win THESE games. Funny, after the game, everyone to a man was positive and said they played well tonight. Not sure how you can be positive after you just blew a 3-0 lead, but OK.

Anyway, let's hope they make me look good tomorrow night in Jersey.

Shea
12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I recall watching the game and enjoying a 3-0 lead and well......things kinda went into a fog after that. Someone please tell me we won and that which happened didn't happen.

Tomorrow night we get Brodeur. This might get worse. Here's to hoping I don't have to visit my foggy hockey world again. :hope:

Shea
12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Just saw this for the first time tonight....

GwWpOPvSZZg

Love Geno's response about Ovechkin's crap hit against Gonch. :chuckle:

Looked like it was a question directed towards Sid, but Geno jumped in to offer up his own views. Love Geno. Dirty is right!

Also love that Sid and Geno really seem to enjoy and appreciate each other. In a sports world that thrives on ego and supremacy, these two could look horns, yet they don't and seem to appreciate and honor each other.

We've got two of the three top players in the NHL on the Pens roster, yet they've shown, not only in this little snippet on youtube, but shown throughout their current tenure with the Pens that they're beyond who is "the best" and just gone about playing hockey.

How lucky are we as Pens fans for having them both? I say very! :tt03:

steelpride12
12-30-2009, 12:14 AM
These last two games have been the toughest to swallow all season long! These are the games the Pens should win and blowing THREE goals and pulling Miller and still losing? Come on you have to hold them and finish.
They leafs games was just sickening. They were out hustled, and overall outplayed all game long and could not hold a lead. The Pens won't win all there games sure, but when you get put in these situations they need to learn to finish and win them grr!

X-Terminator
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
And to absolutely no one's surprise, Sid and Flower have been named to the Canadian Olympic team. What IS a little surprising is that Sid will be wearing an A (Scott Niedermayer is captain):

The combination of Sidney Crosby scoring clutch goals at one end of the rink and Marc-Andre Fleury making timely saves at the other was potent enough to lead the Penguins to a Stanley Cup championship in June. Executive Director of Team Canada Steve Yzerman hopes the duo has enough magic left up their sleeves to deliver their second major victory in eight months – a gold medal in the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver.

Crosby and Fleury received the phone call they have anticipated their entire lives on Wednesday afternoon when it was confirmed both will be representing Team Canada in the Olympic Games scheduled for Feb. 12-28 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Both players will be making their debuts on the Olympic stage.
Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury will be making their Olympic debuts in Vancouver. Credit - Getty Images

Neither Crosby’s nor Fleury’s selection to the squad was much of a surprise based upon the way each has elevated his game during the past two postseasons. During back-to-back runs to the Stanley Cup Final Crosby has scored 58 points (21G-37A) in 44 games while Fleury has posted a 30-14 record. As a vice president for the Detroit Red Wings, Yzerman has had a front-row seat for the ‘Crosby and Fleury Show’ as Detroit has been the Penguins’ opponent during both Finals.

Crosby, 22, was a surprise omission from the Canadian roster during his rookie campaign in 2005-06. Four years later he was possibly the safest lock on the roster as the reigning captain of the Stanley Cup champions and the face of the entire National Hockey League. Crosby even took part in the Olympic Torch Relay when he carried the Olympic Torch in his native province of Nova Scotia on Nov. 18.

Although he is a rookie to Olympic competition, this will not be the first time Crosby has represented Canada in international competition. He most recently wore the red and white during the 2006 World Championships in Riga, Latvia. While Canada failed to place in the tournament, Crosby paced all scorers with 16 points (8G-8A) in nine games.

Crosby also donned the maple leaf sweater in two World Junior Championships in 2004 and ’05. In 12 games over the two tournaments Crosby registered 14 points (8G-6A) as the Canadians took home a silver medal in ’04 and the gold in ’05.

Sidney Crosby registered 16 points (8G-8A) in nine games for the Canadians during the 2006 World Championships. Credit - Getty Images
Already the youngest scoring champion and youngest captain to lead his team to a Stanley Cup in NHL history, Crosby’s strong play in ’09-10 has him poised to take on a leading role for the Canadians. He enters Wednesday ranked fifth in the league with 48 points (23G-25A), ninth with a plus-14 rating and eighth with a 58.1 winning percentage on the faceoff dots.

It is ironic the Penguins are set to take on the New Jersey Devils at Prudential Center on Wednesday night because the No. 1 netminders for each team – Fleury for the Penguins and Martin Brodeur of the Devils – are vying with Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo for the same position with Team Canada.

Fleury has come a long way in a short period for the Penguins, transforming from a goaltender who relied more on his outstanding athleticism to a backstop who is as technically sound as any goalie in the NHL.

If there were any doubts about Fleury’s ability to carry a team to the promise land each one was erased by the four series and career defining saves Fleury made during the 2009 postseason.

Fleury’s string of game-saving stops began with his right-toe save on Jeff Carter in Game 2 of a Round 1 victory over the division-rival Philadelphia Flyers and concluded with a miraculous last-second stop with his right shoulder on Nicklas Lidstrom in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. In between those his glove save on Alexander Ovechkin’s breakaway attempt in Game 7 of the second round and a diving effort to deny Eric Staal in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals spearheaded series wins.

The 25-year-old Fleury has been nearly unbeatable at times once again for the Penguins this year. His 22 wins rank second (tied) behind Brodeur as Fleury is on pace to break his career high total of 40 victories in ’06-07. He began the year 8-0 between the pipes, the longest winning streak at any point in his career.

Like Crosby, Fleury is not new to international competition, although it has been a while since his last appearance. Fleury was the go-to-guy for the Canadians in both the 2003 and ’04 World Junior Championships. He was named to the all-tournament team in ’03 and led the Canadians to back-to-back silver medals.
Marc-Andre Fleury led the Canadians to back-to-back silver medals in the 2003 and '04 World Junior Championships. Credit - Getty Images

The selections of Crosby and Fleury to Team Canada boosts the official number of Penguins participants in the 2010 Games to four with last week’s announcement that Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin would each be representing Team Russia.

More good new is anticipated on Friday when the United States announces their team during the 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park. Defenseman Brooks Orpik was an invitee to the Team USA summer camp and is expected to make his Olympic debut. Strong play through the first half from three-time Olympian Bill Guerin and emerging blueliner Alex Goligoski has thrust both into consideration for final roster spots with the Americans.

Notes: Former Penguins winger Jaromir Jagr, the second-leading scorer in franchise history, was named to the Czech Republic roster on Wednesday. On Tuesday winger Miroslav Satan, who helped the Penguins win the Stanley Cup in June, was selected to the Slovakian roster.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=511610&navid=DL|PIT|home

Of course they'd have to mention Jagr the Fatass being named to the Czech team. Surprised though that Satan made the Slovakian roster...and no mention of Hoser making the team as well. Guess the writer hates him too - LOL!

Shea
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Shoot, I was hoping Jordan would make the team.

Here's a cute video of Sid and Max.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/this_is_my_basement/

Max and the light. :sofunny:

X-Terminator
12-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Cool video :chuckle:

Jordan really didn't have a chance this time - Canada is just so deep with talent. They could build a 2nd string team with the guys who were snubbed and probably would still be favored to win gold.

SteelCityMom
12-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Haha love it! Max cracks me up.

I didn't think Jordan would make it either, and not for lack of talent, but just simply because the Canadians are overloaded with talent right now. His brother (Eric) made it though.

The Canadian roster is here....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=511636

I can't believe Lecavalier and Phaneuf didn't make it.

X-Terminator
12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Haha love it! Max cracks me up.

I didn't think Jordan would make it either, and not for lack of talent, but just simply because the Canadians are overloaded with talent right now. His brother (Eric) made it though.

The Canadian roster is here....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=511636

I can't believe Lecavalier and Phaneuf didn't make it.

A LOT of people can't believe Phaneuf didn't make it, and that the pylon with skates Chris Pronger made it. There is no way Pronger should have been on that team - the Russians and Swedes are going to skate rings around him. As for Lecavalier, he's having a horrible season so far, and that's why he didn't make it.

SteelCityMom
12-30-2009, 07:05 PM
A LOT of people can't believe Phaneuf didn't make it, and that the pylon with skates Chris Pronger made it. There is no way Pronger should have been on that team - the Russians and Swedes are going to skate rings around him. As for Lecavalier, he's having a horrible season so far, and that's why he didn't make it.

Is Lecavalier injured, or just having a bad year? I really haven't followed the Lightning too much this year, but I know he's always been one of their better players.

And not only did Pronger make it over Phaneuf, he got the A along with Crosby and Iginla. I really think nearly anybody else on that team would have been more deserving of the A over Pronger...even Richards lol.

SteelCityMom
12-30-2009, 07:07 PM
This game is making me sad and sleepy. I'm tired of seeing the Pens getting chances against Marty...I demand some goals! (or I will pass out lol)

X-Terminator
12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Is Lecavalier injured, or just having a bad year? I really haven't followed the Lightning too much this year, but I know he's always been one of their better players.

And not only did Pronger make it over Phaneuf, he got the A along with Crosby and Iginla. I really think nearly anybody else on that team would have been more deserving of the A over Pronger...even Richards lol.

Lecavalier hasn't been injured at all - he's just really, really sucked this year for whatever reason. Tampa fans can't figure out what the problem is either. And his play has been hurting St. Louis' numbers as well.

I can think of several guys who would have been a better choice than Pronger...Phaneuf obviously, Jay Bouwmeester, even Stephane Robidas from the Stars would have been a better choice than Pronger. And he certainly didn't deserve an A - that was just a token by Steve Yzerman for his experience.

This game is making me sad and sleepy. I'm tired of seeing the Pens getting chances against Marty...I demand some goals! (or I will pass out lol)

I'm starting to get convinced that the Pens may not score another goal against Marty this year.

SteelCityMom
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
What a load of crap...

Now we get to watch back to back afternoon games...yippie.

Just f-ing fjkdlsahgkjdosa;jgkdla;jdkslahfdksa;

That is all.

steelpride12
12-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Well another loss to the devils its 0 for 4 and my frustration is building. They just seem to have our number this season and id be afraid to see them in the playoffs. Grr its hard to watch this, but Broduer is just too good and uses all his tricks up his sleeves against the Pens. 3 straight losses.

X-Terminator
12-30-2009, 08:39 PM
What a load of crap...

Now we get to watch back to back afternoon games...yippie.

Just f-ing fjkdlsahgkjdosa;jgkdla;jdkslahfdksa;

That is all.

Really, what else can you say? Brodeur has the Pens' number this season. They played a good game tonight and Brent Johnson was terrific in goal, but once again, they can't get a puck past Brodeur. It makes the past two games hurt even more, especially last night's game.

Hopefully they'll be able to get back on the winning track in Florida, but I'm not holding my breath. The Pens do not play well in afternoon games.

SteelCityMom
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Really, what else can you say? Brodeur has the Pens' number this season. They played a good game tonight and Brent Johnson was terrific in goal, but once again, they can't get a puck past Brodeur. It makes the past two games hurt even more, especially last night's game.

Hopefully they'll be able to get back on the winning track in Florida, but I'm not holding my breath. The Pens do not play well in afternoon games.

Yeah, I'll hand it to Brent...he played out of his mind. Him and Brodeur were the only reasons that game was ever close. I'm just tired of watching them lose to the Devils pretty much. I'd have been just as let down even if they had won the past two games. I really thought something good was going to happen with that 6-4 at the end...but oh well.

I hate afternoon games for them as well...at least neither are 1pm games though, so that helps a little.

X-Terminator
12-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I'll hand it to Brent...he played out of his mind. Him and Brodeur were the only reasons that game was ever close. I'm just tired of watching them lose to the Devils pretty much. I'd have been just as let down even if they had won the past two games. I really thought something good was going to happen with that 6-4 at the end...but oh well.

I hate afternoon games for them as well...at least neither are 1pm games though, so that helps a little.

Thankfully they won't have to see the Devils again until March. Maybe by that time, they'll have forgotten that Brodeur has stoned them for 2 and a half games so far, and have just 2 goals against him all season.

Damn. And I really thought that with the Pens' recent success in New Jersey, that they'd pull out a win. It doesn't get any easier for them either, because Tampa has been hot lately and I'm sure they will bring their A game on Saturday. Rick Tocchet might kick all of their asses if they don't! :chuckle:

4xSBChamps
12-31-2009, 06:27 AM

the Bolts got off to a better-than-expected start, led by Stamkos & Malone, while VL4 struggled to get on-track:
when rumors surfaced that he was unhappy playing without Marty St. Louis, lines were jumbled, yet Lecavalier didn't play much better, so Tocchet dropped him to the 3rd & 4th lines, hinting that VL4 wasn't playing hard-enough (lack of hustle, turning-away from checks, etc.).

I didn't see last-night's games against the Habs (a 2-1 OT loss in Montreal) while peeping the Pens, but Lecavalier had 11 points (3G, 8A) the previous 8 games, and he is playing much-grittier for Tocchet, while St. Louis is racking-up lotsa assists:
VL4 still likes to display his skills (skate in circles, dish soft passes), and made a gorgeous no-look, between-the-legs back-handed pass for an assist against Boston, but he is generally playing rougher & tougher in the Tocchet-style

Smith has been getting many starts in-goal the last week, as Niittymaki's wife gave birth over the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play against the Guins Saturday:
whatever-else I can glean from the central Florida papers, I'll post here before that game

X-Terminator
01-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, here is the U.S. Olympic Team. Some surprises, and some very notable omissions:

Forwards:

Zach Parise, NJD
Dustin Brown, LA
Paul Stastny, COL
Ryan Malone, TB
Phil Kessel, TOR
Ryan Kesler, VAN
Patrick Kane, CHI
Ryan Callahan, NYR
Chris Drury, NYR
Jamie Langenbrunner, NJD
David Backes, STL
Joe Pavelski, SJ
Bobby Ryan, ANA

Defensemen:

Jack Johnson, LA
Erik Johnson, STL
Ryan Suter, NSH
Paul Martin, NJD
Brooks Orpik, PIT
Mike Komisarek, TOR
Brian Rafalski, DET

Goalies:

Ryan Miller, BUF
Tim Thomas, BOS
Jonathan Quick, LA

No Gomez, no Gionta, no Ryan Whitney and, sadly, no Billy G. Congratulations to Brooks Orpik, though, for making the team! :applaudit: So the Pens will be sending 5 players to Vancouver. I'm a little surprised that David Backes made the team - I thought his penchant for penalties might hurt him. But clearly Brian Burke is looking to try to win with physical play and grit, since they are out-gunned talent-wise by the Canadians and Russians, and are about on par with the Swedes.

pittsburghp8baller
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Whitney still has a chance to make it, i doubt Paul Martin will be ready to go in time. The only player i dont agree with is Mike Komisarek, but i wasnt surprised when he was picked by Burke, his GM.

4xSBChamps
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
from a 'Penguin-perspective', I'm kinda glad that Guerin didn't make the squad, as he might need a break in the middle of the long season, so he's fresh for another run deep into the playoffs

I hope that FREE CANDY unloads on Meunky so-hard it changes the taste in his toothless-mouth

steelpride12
01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Gonchar left practice early as stated on the Pens website. I have no link, but it is on their man site. I hope it is nothing that will hold him out long we can't afford for him to go down.

X-Terminator
01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Whitney still has a chance to make it, i doubt Paul Martin will be ready to go in time. The only player i dont agree with is Mike Komisarek, but i wasnt surprised when he was picked by Burke, his GM.

I agree on Komi. He only got there because of who he plays for. He brings a physical presence, but not much else. I'd rather have seen Keith Ballard in his place, though he along with Whitney may end up being there if Martin can't go.

from a 'Penguin-perspective', I'm kinda glad that Guerin didn't make the squad, as he might need a break in the middle of the long season, so he's fresh for another run deep into the playoffs

I hope that FREE CANDY unloads on Meunky so-hard it changes the taste in his toothless-mouth

Yeah, but it would have been a nice story. He'd be a better fit than Drury though - really, what has he done to deserve being on the team?

As for Cavey, I hope someone - ANYONE - knocks the shit out of him. Don't care if it's Orpik or Pronger or Kronwall. It would be even better if it came after an accidentally-on-purpose suicide pass from Gonchar.

Gonchar left practice early as stated on the Pens website. I have no link, but it is on their man site. I hope it is nothing that will hold him out long we can't afford for him to go down.

He hurt his foot blocking a shot Wednesday night, and it's possible he may not be able to go tomorrow. Disco Dan said he'll be a game-time decision since there's no morning skate.

4xSBChamps
01-02-2010, 08:13 AM
As for Cavey, I hope someone - ANYONE - knocks the shit out of him. Don't care if it's Orpik or Pronger or Kronwall. It would be even better if it came after an accidentally-on-purpose suicide pass from Gonchar.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%202009-2010/KarmaforMeunky.jpg

..... is a b!tch.....

Fire Haley
01-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Pens/Lightning

tie it up 1-1

TB coming out all hustle and Pens looked like they were still drunk till the very end of the 1st.

steelpride12
01-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Well its 1 to 1 at least, but 5 shots with 5 minutes left in the first period the Pens are still looking for a loss im guessing. Lets Go Pens time to snap this streak and get in the wins column.

KeiselPower99
01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Thought Id put this in here as he is a former Pen. Miroslav Satan had agreed to a deal with the Bruins.

This morning, word was floating around the press room at Fenway Park that the Boston Bruins had finalized a deal to sign veteran forward Miroslav Satan.

Satan, 35, is an unsigned free agent who has not played yet this year, but was named this week to the Slovakian Olympic team. According to reports, Satan signed a one-year contract.

In 65 games played with the Penguins last season, Satan recorded 17 goals and 19 assists; but was ineffective down the stretch and actually spent some down with Pittsburgh's minor-league affiliate in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He played in 17 Stanley Cup Playoff games for the champion Penguins, managing just 1 goal and 5 assists.

Satan, who has 354 goals and 367 assists in 1,012 NHL games, will give Boston some depth and also an additional weapon on the power play. He has 120 man-advantgage goals in his career.

steelpride12
01-02-2010, 03:22 PM
2 PP's in a row and nothing to show for it. Ahhh shoot Pens gotta capitalize on those situations!
Lets Go Pens!

steelpride12
01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
And a late second period goal from the Lightning which they earned killing the two straight PP's and playing with more fire and will than the Pens right now!

HometownGal
01-02-2010, 03:37 PM

I heard during the game that Serg took a shot in practice (didn't say what part of the body, but I'm assuming a leg) and wasn't playing. The PP looks dreadful without him. :horror: Gogo has his hands full on D in this game. Hope we can pull it out in the 3rd - we're only down 1. :hope:

X-Terminator
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
If the Pens had even an average PP, they'd be blowing away the league right now. It's so frustrating watching them blow chance after chance with the man advantage. They haven't even scored a goal on a 5-on-3 yet this season, which just boggles the mind with all the talent they have. The Lightning have worked hard in this game, to their credit, but they'd still be behind if the Pens get a couple of PPGs.

SteelCityMom
01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Just a horrible sloppy game by the Pens. And Crosby needs to reel his emotions in a little when they're losing. What a stupid penalty to take with 2 mins left. I don't know what's up with them right now, but they better get it corrected soon. Starting with getting pucks to the net, especially on the PP and their puck management has been horrid the past 4 games.

steelpride12
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Well another loss for the Pens and what is that 4 in a row. With all this talent I can't seem to understand how the PP is so dysfunctional and that they cannot get it together. You would hope after three straight a losses and going into Tampa they would wipe them all over the ice, but instead get outplayed? Come on Pens time to dig deep and get back on track.

X-Terminator
01-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Just a horrible sloppy game by the Pens. And Crosby needs to reel his emotions in a little when they're losing. What a stupid penalty to take with 2 mins left. I don't know what's up with them right now, but they better get it corrected soon. Starting with getting pucks to the net, especially on the PP and their puck management has been horrid the past 4 games.

The bad puck management is, of course, why teams are doing to them what they usually do to other teams when they are at their best - bottling them up in their own zone. And when was the last time you saw them crash the net? It seems like every team they play, they crash the net, get bodies in front of the net and create havoc for Fleury. The Pens don't do that nearly enough - they need to have a net presence so that when they do get pucks to the net, there are bodies there to get any second chance opportunities. It's also glaringly obvious that they need a defenseman who will clear bodies from in front of the net. Say what you want, but the Pens losing Hal Gill has come back to bite them in the ass. And at this point, it's no use complaining about the PP. It is what it is, and I don't see it getting any better any time soon, even with Gonchar in the lineup. It is so hard to believe that they are last in the NHL with all that talent.

I haven't been too impressed with GoGo or Letang lately either. Both have been turnover machines, they aren't generating offense and have been brutal in their own zone. And I think at this point, it might be time to put Geno, Sid and Billy together on the line and run with it. They may have won the Cup with this set of wingers, but it's past time to try and bring in another legitimate scoring winger to play with Sid or Geno.

Anyway, though everyone is frustrated with the losing skid right now, eventually they will get the ship righted. If there's one thing we've all learned over the past 3 seasons, it's that when February rolls around, the Pens usually get rolling - they've been a strong 2nd-half of the season team, especially the last 30 games or so. They'll be fine.

Fire Haley
01-02-2010, 05:53 PM
The defense is porous down deep and they still refuse to shoot the puck on the PP's.

Shoot the puck Mr fancypants!

Fleury deserves better

pittsburghp8baller
01-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree on Komi. He only got there because of who he plays for. He brings a physical presence, but not much else. I'd rather have seen Keith Ballard in his place, though he along with Whitney may end up being there if Martin can't go.

I was really shocked to see Ballard not make it, ive always thought of him as one the more solid 2 way d-man in the league, much more for useful than Komisarek. Id take Ballard over Whitney right now, even with Whitney being a little more useful in the defensive zone now.

Shea
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I believe this is the longest losing-streak we've faced this year (didn't look it up, but it sure feels like it) and there is always going to be such a stretch within a long season. Just hope it ends tomorrow against the Panthers. This losing sucks.

Two things point out to me about this article I just read:

The Penguins, who entered tied for the NHL’s worst power play, went 0 for 4 with the man advantage. Pittsburgh has converted just two of its last 32 road power-play opportunities.

I knew things were bad on the PP, but jeebers if that stat doesn't say it all. :doh:

NOTES: Paramedics were called to the Pittsburgh coaches room shortly after the game. Bylsma said “No” when asked if there was any problems. A team spokeswoman declined comment. …

I hope this really is nothing. With the team playing the way they are now, someone having a major health issue would not only be sad but could possibly effect the players and that could transfer negatively onto the ice.

Shea
01-02-2010, 10:31 PM

I agree that Sid needs to keep his emotions in check at times, but we were down by two with just over two minutes left in the game - I don't think we were going to come back anyways. Geno, also seems to be in the sin bin a bit too much for my liking this season. They could both work on that aspect of their game.

But I love Sid's spunk, and for a player of his size, he seems to hold his own. He won't allow anyone to push him around. He plays with grit, and isn't going to let anyone walk all over him. I like the tenacity and the mental fortitude that he shows in that area.

The defense is porous down deep and they still refuse to shoot the puck on the PP's.

Shoot the puck Mr fancypants!

Fleury deserves better

Mr. Fancypants?? Who might that be? I'm guessing you are referring to Sid from the above post and others you have made.

We're lucky to have him on the Pens, and we (meaning YOU) should show more appreciation for it as well.

4xSBChamps
01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
MY IMPRESSIONS FROM SECTION 327 OF THE ST. PETE TIMES FORUM

outside the arena before the game, Penguin sweaters out-numbered Bolts jerseys on a cold day (mid-50's*) here in central Floriduh:
I had wanted to organize a gathering of Penguin fans and take pix, but it never materialized

the 'Lightning Girls' are cute, working the pre-game crowd outside in Blue jackets w/ logos, Black mini-skirts, hosiery, & Silver knee-high boots:
during breaks in the action, they wear skates & sleeveless jerseys on the ice, waving pom-poms

I took my fiancee down to the glass during warm-ups, to watch the Penguins go through their pre-game rituals ~ a classy fan in a Detroit jersey leaned over the railing and yelled into the tunnel as the Penguins entered 'CROSBY, YOU SUCK'

a 7 year-old girl sang a respectful rendition of the National Anthem before the game..... damned-shame that only people with their baby-teeth can do-so

We got free Lightning T-shirts upon entering, which I gave to the fellow sitting next to me, who was bringing his 7 year-old son to his 1st game:
i tried to explain some of rules & strategy of the game to both of them

it was my 4th or 5th game at the SPTF, and that place is freezing-cold inside..... my fiancee wore her ankle-length (imitation) fur coat the entire game, and my hands were frozen when we left

The Lightning played probably their best 60 minutes of hockey this season, repeatedly beating the Guins to loose pucks, and winning battles along the boards:
with this set of players, that is exactly how Tocchet wants them to play every game

The Tampa fans I spoke with couldn't believe the ineptitude of the Pittsburgh power-play:
confusion equal to that of Father's Day in South Philthadelphia

The Penguin fans were louder than the native Lightning fans, but had little reason to cheer ~ I don't know if you could tell watching on TV, but just before Guerin scored the lone Pens' goal, our end of the upper-level began a rambunctious chorus of 'LET'S-GO-PENS':
whenever the organist would lead the fans into a cheer of 'Lets'-go, Light-ning', Penguins fans would loudly reply 'LET'S GO PENS', as they did in Detwah during the playoffs

when Downie & Talbot jabbed sticks into each-other late in the game, I told the 7 year-old boy beside me 'if they begin fighting, I'm pulling your sweatshirt over your head, and punching you, too!', and his dad laughed

I probably won't make the Pens' 2nd trip to Tampa in March, but if they'd meet-up in the playoffs, I'd do my best to see those games

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I believe this is the longest losing-streak we've faced this year (didn't look it up, but it sure feels like it) and there is always going to be such a stretch within a long season. Just hope it ends tomorrow against the Panthers. This losing sucks.

Two things point out to me about this article I just read:

I knew things were bad on the PP, but jeebers if that stat doesn't say it all. :doh:

I hope this really is nothing. With the team playing the way they are now, someone having a major health issue would not only be sad but could possibly effect the players and that could transfer negatively onto the ice.

They also had a 4-game losing streak in November, when they were decimated with injuries. After that, they won 5 of their next 6 games and 14 of 19.

And if you can't score on the PP on the road, it makes it very difficult to win games. Simple as that. It's like I said - if their PP was just average, they'd be tearing up the league right now.

I agree that Sid needs to keep his emotions in check at times, but we were down by two with just over two minutes left in the game - I don't think we were going to come back anyways. Geno, also seems to be in the sin bin a bit too much for my liking this season. They could both work on that aspect of their game.

But I love Sid's spunk, and for a player of his size, he seems to hold his own. He won't allow anyone to push him around. He plays with grit, and isn't going to let anyone walk all over him. I like the tenacity and the mental fortitude that he shows in that area.

Mr. Fancypants?? Who might that be? I'm guessing you are referring to Sid from the above post and others you have made.

We're lucky to have him on the Pens, and we (meaning YOU) should show more appreciation for it as well.

He retaliated because the guy he cross-checked (Stephane Veilleux, who is a noted agitator) knocked his helmet off in the corner, then said something to him when he skated by. He's lucky a cross-check is all he got.

Killer just wants Sid to shoot more, and I can't disagree with that. He shot the puck a LOT when he was scoring all of those goals - he needs to start doing it again. His wingers aren't getting it done, so he's going to have to be the trigger man on his line and also on the PP. Sometimes you have to be a little selfish.

Fire Haley
01-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Oh lookie - another "holier than thou" superfan.

Isn't it uncomfortable walking around with those pom-poms sticking outta your ass?

SteelCityMom
01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Pens are just givin' it away again...

Better get it together guys!

Panthers just scored late in the second to go up 3-2

4xSBChamps
01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Pens are just givin' it away again...

"... you're LOSING it!!!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/Piss-onEddieShore.jpg

... all the promotions, all the fashion shows..."

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Pens lose 6-2, and the streak reaches 5 games. This game was the exact opposite of the Sens game where the Sens had 47 shots and lost by 6 goals - the Pens had 50 shots and lost by 4 goals.

I don't know what happened to their puck management, but it has been abysmal the past few games. 3 of the goals allowed were the direct result of turnovers - one by Malkin, one by Letang and one by GoGo. Their defensive zone coverage has been terrible as well. As soon as Fleury allowed that extremely soft goal to Leopold, I felt right then that they were going to flub the game away.

Speaking of Geno, I don't know what is up with him - I don't know if he's looking forward to the Olympics or what, but he HAS to start producing for this team to win. He's turning the puck over way too much, he's missed the net on I don't know how many scoring chances...it's just not like him. He has scored a goal in just 1 of his last 8 games, has not scored on the road since Black Friday and has no points in his last 6 games. He's just disappeared, and it's killing the Pens right now.

Nothing else to say now other than I hope the ship gets righted soon - they have 2 games at home, then it's right back to the road for 5 games. Luckily they've been getting some help and they're still just 4 points behind the Devils in the division and 5 points off the conference lead.

Shea
01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
It's become painful watching the Pens lately. :cheer:

I don't know what's with the team lately other than just the fact that teams will have stretches such as this during a season. :cheer:

Mr. Fancypants played hard tonight though, and what a beautiful wrist shot for a goal before things went downhill. :cheer:

Hopefully, come Tuesday they will get back in the win column against ATL and then beat the crappies outta Philly on Thursday. I love the Philly games. They are must wins in my book. :cheer:

Geno (not sure what his snitty nickname is) needs to get going. :cheer:

The PP needs to get going as well. :cheer:

We've got to end this losing streak. :cheer:

Isn't it uncomfortable walking around with those pom-poms sticking outta your ass?

A bit. Sitting down creates quite the adventure as you could imagine. :cheer:

Shea
01-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I forgot to add that I'm not sure, and am worried, about when Gonchar will be back in the line-up.

I'd look it up but I'm in too much of a bitchy mood about the Pens right now that I think I wouldn't be able to stomach any bad news in that area.

But in the meantime I've found comfort in the funny of this picture:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/genohot.jpg

Geno is looking SEX-Y! :chuckle:

Fire Haley
01-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Ugh. When did the groupies take over here?

Pens are just going through a lull waiting for the Olympics - I hope they don't take the whole month of January off.

4xSBChamps
01-04-2010, 05:50 AM
shortly-before Gonchar took a puck off his foot, Malkin blocked a shot with his foot/leg, and he has looked lethargic since:
could it be that he is suffering from a less-severe injury, yet playing through the pain?

steelpride12
01-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Sheeesh the Pens are just slumping bad. 50 shots and lose by four I did not expect it after four losses and desperation mode kicked in for the first period of the game and just slowly went down hill after the soft goal given up by Fluery.

I feel its mostly the puck management and the lack of defensive support in front of the net clearing the way for Fluery. The Pens in the neutral zone just cough the puck up and turnovers are so common from Geno, GoGo, and Letang they are always stuck in their own zone.

A little bit as well I feel other players just need to straight up START SCORING. Letang, GoGo, Geno, Adams, Talbot to name a few just need to at least reel up one in the next few game and start gaining confidence back. As much as I wanna see Sid keep scoring and scoring I think the rest of the team has to finish as well.

Well Lets hope these next two home games we can get on track before our long 5 game road trip.
Lets Go Pens!

X-Terminator
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I forgot to add that I'm not sure, and am worried, about when Gonchar will be back in the line-up.

I'd look it up but I'm in too much of a bitchy mood about the Pens right now that I think I wouldn't be able to stomach any bad news in that area.

But in the meantime I've found comfort in the funny of this picture:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/genohot.jpg

Geno is looking SEX-Y! :chuckle:

At least Geno is trying to have some fun despite his struggles. But you could really tell his lack of production is really bothering him from his interview after the game last night. I think Geno is pressing and trying to do too much, rather than just letting the game come to him. Eventually he'll snap out of it - he's too good not to.

As for Gonchar, I hope he is able to go tomorrow night or at least by Thursday. They haven't said anything about a fracture, which is good news, so I'm guessing it's a deep contusion. It's pretty clear they need him out there, but even with him in the lineup, their defense has not been very good recently.
Ugh. When did the groupies take over here?

Pens are just going through a lull waiting for the Olympics - I hope they don't take the whole month of January off.

They won't. I'd bet the house on it. It's not like they're dropping way out of the race for the division - they're still very much within striking distance.

shortly-before Gonchar took a puck off his foot, Malkin blocked a shot with his foot/leg, and he has looked lethargic since:
could it be that he is suffering from a less-severe injury, yet playing through the pain?

It's possible. Remember, he tried to play with his shoulder injury before the team shut him down back in November. I still think it's him pressing that is causing his struggles, not any kind of injury.

BTW, the stretcher that was seen outside the coaches' room after the Tampa game was for Mike Yeo. Apparently he wasn't feeling well during the game, so the team called in the paramedics to check him out. The tests were negative, so they sent him to his hotel room. When he woke up yesterday, though, he still wasn't feeling well, so they sent him to the hospital for more tests, which came back negative, and they kept him overnight. He should have been released this morning.

4xSBChamps
01-04-2010, 12:11 PM
the stretcher that was seen outside the coaches' room after the Tampa game was for Mike Yeo. Apparently he wasn't feeling well during the game

I was at that game, and during a break in the action, I saw a Penguin staff-member (Black & Khaki jacket, Khaki slacks) waddle from the bench to the gate for the runway, leading to the Penguin's locker-room, and at the time, figured it was for equipment repair:
that could've been why, checking on Yeo's condition

Fire Haley
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
NHL Network will carry Thurs and Sat games against Philly and Toronto according to their schedule

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?network=NHLN-US&location=/nhlnetwork#nhln

4xSBChamps
01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Kunitz will have surgery on Wednesday 6 January for a lingering abdomen muscle injury, and will be out 4-6 weeks:
Luca Caputi has joined the team from WB/S, and skated with the big club this AM

Guins wearing Columbia Blue again this evening, and there is talk on Penguin Radio HD that Brent Johnson will tend goal tonight

X-Terminator
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Kunitz will have surgery on Wednesday 6 January for a lingering abdomen muscle injury, and will be out 4-6 weeks:
Luca Caputi has joined the team from WB/S, and skated with the big club this AM

Guins wearing Columbia Blue again this evening, and there is talk on Penguin Radio HD that Brent Johnson will tend goal tonight

Yeah, I read about this earlier. Well, that's just great - means Kunitz will possibly be out until after the Olympic break, so really, he's going to miss about 2 months. There have been calls for Caputi to get a call-up - let's see what he can do.

X-Terminator
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
BTW, Gonchar will not be in the lineup again tonight, so his foot is obviously still giving him problems.

Fire Haley
01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
3-2 lead into the 3rd.

hang on boys!

snap that 5 game losing streak

Fire Haley
01-05-2010, 08:40 PM
4-2 !

Malkin waking up?

Fire Haley
01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
5-2

Staal is the steady one.

X-Terminator
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
5-game losing streak OVAH! :banana:

Johnson - solid work
Staal - keeps up his very good play
Caputi - looked pretty good out there, glad to see him pot one. Put him in front of the net on the top PP unit!

Hopefully Sarge comes back Thursday and we pound the Pumpkins again!

4xSBChamps
01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
5-2

Staal is the steady one.

His play has been very steady & consistent..... the scary-thing is this 'boy' is still growing-into his body

Shea
01-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Great to finally get back in the win column!

Glad that Philly is coming into town for the next game. The team has seemed flat and a bit uninspired, even at times during tonights win, and playing the goon squad should get their hockey blood flowing again. An infusion of passion will be needed for a successful road trip ahead.

Loving Staal's play, and even though they don't always produce, Jordan's lines have been playing pretty damn well lately.

Shea
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
His play has been very steady & consistent..... the scary-thing is this 'boy' is still growing-into his body

Yep. And what's also scary about Jordan, as well as Sid and Geno, is that they haven't yet peaked.

We ain't seen nothing yet with these three.

4xSBChamps
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Yep. And what's also scary about Jordan, as well as Sid and Geno, is that they haven't yet peaked.

We ain't seen nothing yet with these three.

I think that Malkin will be the mercurial-one of the bunch, capable of carrying the team when he is healthy, and the spirit moves him (reminiscent of Jagr?), with Sid will being the extremely-talented, high-scoring leader, playing great two-way hockey (Trottier with twice the skills?), while Staal continues to improve, using his huge frame to protect the puck & draw attention & penalties as his scoring touch come-around:
if these 3 stay together & healthy, the Penguins will tough to play-against for the next 10 years

I hope I live long-enough to enjoy it all

Shea
01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I hope I live long-enough to enjoy it all

Of course you'll be around to enjoy it, besides it wouldn't be the same around here without you, 4x. BTW, you really need to update your username. You're missing a few Lombardi's!

I just looked and not only are we coming off a long stretch of road games, before these two at Mellon, but after the Philly game we will be going back on the road for a five game stretch. The longest the Pens will have this season.

They haven't been playing all that well lately ...... I'm skurd. :nervous:

steelpride12
01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Woohooo 5 game losing streak finally put to rest!

Staal just has been consistent all year long and it was a shame he didn't get the hat trick tonight, it would have been great for him and the team, but excellent game either way.
Johnson held the fort well, def. in the first period when the pens looked like they wanted to make their streak 6 games.

Flyer beatdown time!

Galax Steeler
01-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Even though I am a big Pen fan I don't post on here much but I am sure glad they ended that 5 game skid.

4xSBChamps
01-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Flyer beatdown time!

[Andy Williams]
"... It's the most-wonderful time...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%20pictures/DupuisGoalvsPhlyers.jpg

... of the year!!!"
[/Andy Williams]

Shea
01-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm really amped about tomorrow nights match-up against the Flyers. :banana:

And I can't help but look ahead on the schedule, and am looking forward to seeing the Caps come to town the week after the team comes back from the long road trip.

Ovechkin .... :mad:

I'm hoping one of our guys will knock the snot out of him.

Shea
01-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Is it just me or does Jordan not have the best reactions after scoring a goal?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08El72PfZFeGn/610x.jpg

I know that's an oldie from the playoffs, but damn if I can't find the pic I came across today that reminded me of his usual emotions after scoring a goal. I love seeing that in a player.

I also read that the Staal family had a tragedy take place today. Eric's wife lost her sister to cancer and she was only twenty-six years old. Very sad. Jordan might miss a game, I'm guessing, to attend the funeral.

X-Terminator
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I read about Eric Staal's wife's sister this morning - such a sad story. I would guess Jordan will miss Saturday's game against the Leafs because he's scheduled to play tonight.

Gonchar is also expected to return tonight. Good, because the Flyers have been playing a little bit better hockey and are coming off a 6-2 win last night in a pretty physical game with the Leafs. Let's hope the Pens continue their ownership over those Orange Bastages from Killadephia.

steelpride12
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I read about Eric Staal's wife's sister this morning - such a sad story. I would guess Jordan will miss Saturday's game against the Leafs because he's scheduled to play tonight.

Gonchar is also expected to return tonight. Good, because the Flyers have been playing a little bit better hockey and are coming off a 6-2 win last night in a pretty physical game with the Leafs. Let's hope the Pens continue their ownership over those Orange Bastages from Killadephia.

Gonch returning in Pittsburgh and another Cryer's beat down im so pumped! Let's hope we can kill their momentum and send them back crying to Philthadelphia. GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
01-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Ovechkin .... :mad:

I'm hoping one of our guys will knock the snot out of him.

..... wouldn't his head cave-in?????

X-Terminator
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Pens lose 7-4, Fleury pulled, giveaways killed the team again and they lost the special teams battle...again.

Sighs.

Things have not been good at all for the past 2 weeks and I'm really starting to wonder if the holidays plus the Olympic team selections have really taken the starch out of the team. I'm not seeing the same desire and intensity that I saw earlier in the season - not nearly enough grit, not enough determination...when was the last time you saw them lay out to block shots on a consistent basis? It's just so damn frustrating.

At some point, they have to get the ship righted again. Hopefully it starts on this road trip.

Fire Haley
01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Too many turnovers and Fleury was only human early.

That stretch of 4 shots on 3 PP's says a lot too.

steelpride12
01-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Sighhh Fluery was off key again and the turnovers and three breakaways is just unacceptable and the Pens just are not playing with passion, grit or pride right now.

This Olympic break cannot come fast enough come on Pens right the ship!

4xSBChamps
01-08-2010, 10:44 AM
something from last night was 'different'

in year's past, when the Flyer's had a play go-against them, like last-night when Johnson clearly had the puck behind the goal-line, yet the call wasn't over-turned, the Phlyers would've gone into the tank:
John Stevens would've begun pouting, sulking, and preaparing his post-game excuses, Carcillo would've run-around, taking runs doing his 'Ovechkin-without-the-talent' impersonation, Hartnell would've gone looking for finger-food, Clarke would've complained about the 'NHL's conspiracy against the Flyers', and Holmgren would've petitioned the League, asking to skate Tonya Harding with Pronger, but allowing her to use a lead-pipe instead of a stick

However, last night under Peter Lavs, the Phlyers brushed it aside, and continued playing a skating game, out-working the Penguins in most facets of the game:
this is unusual for a Philthadelphia team, and if Lavs can keep the meat-head/thug mentality at-bay in that locker-room, they may be a formidable opponent later this season

:popcorn:

Shea
01-09-2010, 09:41 PM
It's nice to get a win tonight even though it's just the Leafs. A win is a win. Hopefully, this will be the start to a long winning-streak since we are coming off a long losing-streak.

Great to have Gonch back, he had a big night tonight. Just hope that Orpik isn't seriously hurt. Not sure what's ailing him but we need him. He's a gritty, hard-working, hard-hitting presence on our team and we'll suffer if he is lost for a lengthy amount of time.

Lots of funky starting times coming up this week. Sorry for you fans back east. Hope you can stay awake to root the team on. :thumbsup:

..... wouldn't his head cave-in?????

Without a brain, it's highly likely. :chuckle:

steelpride12
01-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Great win for the Pens tonight. Gonchar obviously coming back was a HUGE impact having two goals and giving the defense and Fluery more room. Also hope Orpik is not injured this is the worst time for the Pens to have to worry about players going down when we need a full team effort to pull out the wins!

X-Terminator
01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Didn't get back in time to watch the first 10 minutes of the game, but I liked what I saw out of the Pens last night. They looked a LOT more like the gritty team we expect to see every night - taking the body, blocking shots, good puck support, giving 100% effort from the top line to the 4th line. Fleury answered the bell and was outstanding last night and Crosby's goal was just sick. And I think Gonchar proved once again how valuable he is to the Pens' success. It sucks that Orpik is hurt, though - just what we need, another injury! :doh: Disco Dan said that he hopes the injury isn't serious, but he didn't sound too optimistic. We'll have to wait and see. Overall though, it was a solid effort - just need to keep the shots down a bit more.

4xSBChamps
01-10-2010, 11:38 AM
last night was probably the first game since early-November that I didn't catch via stream, and I understand they won in convincing fashion:
maybe I should miss more games?

Shea
01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Penguins Orpik "Day to Day"

Sunday, 01.10.2010 / 3:58 PM / Features By Sam Kasan ST. PAUL, Minnesota --

Pittsburgh held an optional practice at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minnesota on Sunday. One player who did not participate was defenseman Brooks Orpik, who left the team’s 4-1 victory at Toronto on Saturday night with an undisclosed injury in the first period after playing only 2:57.

Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma updated the media on Orpik’s condition after their Sunday practice.

“We are treating it day-to-day,” Bylsma said. “Right now we’re not real optimistic that it’s tomorrow. He is better than we hoped from this morning. It’s a good sign. We’re treating it day by day.”

Good news on Orpik - doesn't look like he will miss much time. :thumbsup:

Shea
01-10-2010, 09:32 PM
last night was probably the first game since early-November that I didn't catch via stream, and I understand they won in convincing fashion:
maybe I should miss more games?

Hmmmmm.......:scratchchin:

We might have to confiscate your computer - sorry 4x. Just consider it as taking one for the team!

X-Terminator
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
And now, for your viewing pleasure, I present to you a little nostalgia straight out of the 1970s, courtesy of Russia's KHL. A brawl-filled game between Vityaz Chekhov and Avangard Omsk, which for those who don't know is the team that Jaromir Jagr plays for (and he was heavily involved too - look for #68 in white). Vityaz, BTW, is owned by former NHL player Alexei Zhamnov, and he is known for signing goons to play for his team - Chris Simon plays for them, in fact. This game had 3 line brawls, a bench-clearing brawl and a whopping 671 penalty minutes handed out...all within the first 4 minutes of the game! There were even a couple of fights in the pre-game warmup. The game had to be canceled because there weren't enough players left to finish. Enjoy!

wacfZtY5uBk

EDIT: Link to pre-game warmup fights: http://rutube.ru/tracks/2805477.html?v=08c2efda2380d8c5bdfd97f350558c1b

Shea
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Oh boy.....

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/geno.jpg

From the look on her face, I'm thinking Geno got a slap across the face after the camera's flash went off.

I've come across so many pics of Evgeni that shows me he is definitely the wild child of our team. Love him but he's gotta cool it with the inappropriate behaviour. For some reason he cracks me up though, but then again that wasn't my boobie. :chuckle:

4xSBChamps
01-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Hmmmmm.......:scratchchin:

We might have to confiscate your computer - sorry 4x. Just consider it as taking one for the team!

my old computer had problems, and I couldn't-even listen to Penguin games here in Florida, so when I returned after my Dad's funeral in SW Taxylvania the day-after Bylsma was hired, I bought this one, and began listening:
as you know, the Guins finished 18-3-4, then won the Cup

In November '09, I figured-out how to watch streams on-line, at the time the team took many injuries, and began playing poorly after their amazing start, and they have struggled since:
I may go-back to listening instead

X-Terminator
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Oh boy.....

From the look on her face, I'm thinking Geno got a slap across the face after the camera's flash went off.

I've come across so many pics of Evgeni that shows me he is definitely the wild child of our team. Love him but he's gotta cool it with the inappropriate behaviour. For some reason he cracks me up though, but then again that wasn't my boobie. :chuckle:

He's a 23 year old guy. What would you expect, a church mouse? :chuckle: Many of us had a bit of "wild child" in them at that age, including me. So long as he isn't causing any problems or getting himself into trouble, I don't care what he does on his own time.

Shea
01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
my old computer had problems, and I couldn't-even listen to Penguin games here in Florida, so when I returned after my Dad's funeral in SW Taxylvania the day-after Bylsma was hired, I bought this one, and began listening:
as you know, the Guins finished 18-3-4, then won the Cup

In November '09, I figured-out how to watch streams on-line, at the time the team took many injuries, and began playing poorly after their amazing start, and they have struggled since:
I may go-back to listening instead

Why don't you treat yourself by purchasing the hockey package so you can watch all the games on TV. I have it and I LOVE IT! This would settle the problem of you and your computer jinxing the team. :chuckle:

And sorry about the loss of your father.

X-Terminator
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Another night, another game the Pens lose because they cannot score on the PP. It is absolutely amazing that they have not scored a 2-man advantage goal all season. Geno and Fleury have not played well at all over the past 3 weeks, and it's just killing the team right now. The only parts of their game that have been consistently good all season is the PK and Crosby.

This is becoming SO damn frustrating to watch, and neither Shero nor Mario have to be happy with the way things have gone. It might be time for a major shakeup - this team has become stagnant. I know they usually play their best hockey from February on, but it would be nice if they would stay consistent throughout the season rather than get off to hot starts and scramble finishes, with about 2 months of mediocre hockey in between.

Shea
01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
He's a 23 year old guy. What would you expect, a church mouse? :chuckle: Many of us had a bit of "wild child" in them at that age, including me. So long as he isn't causing any problems or getting himself into trouble, I don't care what he does on his own time.

No, don't get me wrong. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going out and whooping it up. God knows I've personally enjoyed myself in the same manner.

My point was about the picture I posted and many others that I've seen with Geno and women that are sexual. If the women involved don't have a problem with it, then neither do I.

What I'm worried about is him getting into a situation that would result into a sexual harassment situation, or even worse a sexual assault charge much like Ben is currently dealing with. It just takes one instance, and one girl who is mentally unstable to bring on a boat load of trouble.

Other then that - party on Geno! :drink:

4xSBChamps
01-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Why don't you treat yourself by purchasing the hockey package so you can watch all the games on TV. I have it and I LOVE IT! This would settle the problem of you and your computer jinxing the team.

I currently have basic/extended cable via my local provider, and am not-sure if I should get digital-cable and whatever package they offer, or go with a satelitte:
I've never had either, so I simply don't know exactly 'what' is available

Fiancee rarely watches TV, and I'd only want a 'hockey-package', so it might be best to get heat into my garage (it was 49*f in recent days there) where my computer is, and stick with watching streams

X-Terminator
01-12-2010, 07:17 AM
I currently have basic/extended cable via my local provider, and am not-sure if I should get digital-cable and whatever package they offer, or go with a satelitte:
I've never had either, so I simply don't know exactly 'what' is available

Fiancee rarely watches TV, and I'd only want a 'hockey-package', so it might be best to get heat into my garage (it was 49*f in recent days there) where my computer is, and stick with watching streams

Go with the dish - it's cheaper and it's better. You can get all of the channels you like for less than or at least as much as what you are paying for your basic/expanded cable, AND all channels are in digital quality. Check around to see what kind of deals you can get - it might be worth your while. If I didn't live in a building that doesn't allow satellite service, I'd already have it.

steelpride12
01-12-2010, 08:26 AM
0 for 6 on the PP that's all I have to say. When you get that many chances to put in at least ONE GOAL on the PP and don't score, I wouldn't expect them to win and as long as this slump continues this slump will continue.

As well im noticing that the teams we play against are just flying through the neutral zone like its nothing and entering our zone with speed, and a man or two advantage causing the D to scramble and usually give up a goal.

4xSBChamps
01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
0 for 6 on the PP that's all I have to say. When you get that many chances to put in at least ONE GOAL on the PP and don't score, I wouldn't expect them to win and as long as this slump continues this slump will continue.

if I were coaching an opposing team, and my guys were leading Pittsburgh by a goal late in the 3rd, I'd instruct my players to take a penalty, because you know that the Penguins won't score with a man-advantage

:banging:

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Oh boy.....

Nah. On the surface, this chick looks like the typical bar rat who enjoys the attention.

I'm pretty much with XT that what he does in his private life is pretty much his call, as long as it doesn't affect his play or the team's reputation, which at this point, it most likely hasn't. However - I do see your point about something being misinterpreted that could lead to a lawsuit in this sue-happy society we live in now-a-days.

4xSBChamps
01-12-2010, 09:41 AM
... what he does in his private life is pretty much his call, as long as it doesn't affect his play or the team's reputation, which at this point, it most likely hasn't. However - I do see your point about something being misinterpreted that could lead to a lawsuit in this sue-happy society we live in now-a-days.

... say what you want about Sid Crosby 'being-bland', but you never see pictures like this, or of several taken with Phlyers & porn-stars/groupies, with Crosby being involved that I know-of:
it IS the individual player's right to live his life, but I'd be scared-poopless to be seen like this

SteelCityMom
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
... say what you want about Sid Crosby 'being-bland', but you never see pictures like this, or of several taken with Phlyers & porn-stars/groupies, with Crosby being involved that I know-of:
it IS the individual player's right to live his life, but I'd be scared-poopless to be seen like this

I'm sure Mario had a nice long talk with him about keeping it in his pants, especially after the whole incident with Dan Quinn in '92. Crosby's a lot more open than Lemieux ever was (as far as interviews and endorsements go), but is still a very private person like Lemieux was. I think the most provocative photo I've ever seen of Crosby was him in bed with the Cup lol.

4xSBChamps
01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
...the most provocative photo I've ever seen of Crosby was him in bed with the Cup...

... which has-to irk the Philthadelphians to no-end...

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I think the most provocative photo I've ever seen of Crosby was him in bed with the Cup lol.

:toofunny::thumbsup::toofunny:

Fire Haley
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
All the groupies got jealous

http://open.salon.com/files/sidney-crosby-sleeps-with-the-stanley-cup1245859505.jpg

X-Terminator
01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
FSN Pittsburgh in hot water over replay flap during the Flyers game; indefinitely suspends employee:

CALGARY, Alberta -- FSN Pittsburgh has suspended an employee and the Penguins have reacted to an incident from a game last week against the Philadelphia Flyers at Mellon Arena.

A review of a play to determine whether the Flyers' Simon Gagner scored shorthanded in the second period of a 7-4 Philadelphia win turned up inconclusive evidence of a goal, and so the initial no-goal call by on-ice officials stood. However, FSN Pittsburgh had a replay that showed the puck crossing the goal line as Penguins goaltender Brent Johnson smothered it. That replay was not forwarded to the NHL review booth in Toronto and was not aired until after the review was concluded.

Once the review is concluded and play resumes, NHL rules do not allow for a reversal of a call.

FSN Pittsburgh has indefinitely suspended a member of its telecast staff, Lowell MacDonald Jr., son of former Penguins player Lowell MacDonald.

In a statement, FSN Pittsburgh -- the local broadcasts rights-holder for the Penguins -- said, "There is nothing more important than the integrity of the game. During last Thursday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers, a definitive replay of a Flyers goal was not aired prior to the conclusion of the official review and, as a result, a Flyers goal was not awarded. Fortunately, this did not change the outcome of the game. Nonetheless, FSN Pittsburgh's failure to provide video to the league officials in a timely fashion was wholly unacceptable. FSN Pittsburgh has addressed this matter and has taken steps to ensure that such a failure does not occur again."

The Penguins followed with a statment: "We fully support FSN Pittsburgh in its reaction to this issue. The integrity of the game is paramount."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10012/1027693-100.stm#ixzz0cSAqp6DF

If you watched the game, there's no question that the Flyers got hosed. I don't know what the hell they were thinking by withholding that replay angle. Either MacDonald forgot to send it to Toronto in time, or he deliberately kept it under wraps until the goal was waived off. Either way, it's dirty pool. And of course, our wonderful announcers laugh it off by saying "we were saving that one." Nice job, guys. :doh: Steigerwald and Errey should be suspended (read: fired) right along with MacDonald.

Shea
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Anyone see this video of little man Jack? He's so cute - I could just eat him up!

V7EGPSgsGTY

And damn if he didn't hit the five hole!

If you watched the game, there's no question that the Flyers got hosed. I don't know what the hell they were thinking by withholding that replay angle. Either MacDonald forgot to send it to Toronto in time, or he deliberately kept it under wraps until the goal was waived off. Either way, it's dirty pool. And of course, our wonderful announcers laugh it off by saying "we were saving that one." Nice job, guys. :doh: Steigerwald and Errey should be suspended (read: fired) right along with MacDonald.

I agree.

I remember watching that goal and wondering how it came about that the league didn't have access to that particular angle on the play. I thought something was up immediately and that fault would find it's way to FSNP.

I understand that the goal didn't come into play when deciding who was the winner, but if that had happened against the Pens then I would be livid had the competition pulled the same stunt.

4xSBChamps
01-13-2010, 05:44 AM
I had thought the 'war-room' in Toronto had access to all video footage that we see, plus stuff we don't get to see:
I hate the fact that Pittsburgh pulled 'Philthadelphia-type' sh!t

:mad:

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Well its a shame the totally downfall that has happened the past few weeks with the Pens and this losing slump. It's finally taking a toll on them that the PP cannot produce and you have a better shot at scoring on the Pens shorthanded then 5 on 5.

Well time to just move on and hope they are practicing the PP non stop every single time working on a SIMPLE pass and shoot the puck with 0 fancy moves at all!

Time for the Flames tonight, a late game on the East coast at 9:30PM LETS GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Well its a shame the totally downfall that has happened the past few weeks with the Pens and this losing slump. It's finally taking a toll on them that the PP cannot produce and you have a better shot at scoring on the Pens shorthanded then 5 on 5.

Well time to just move on and hope they are practicing the PP non stop every single time working on a SIMPLE pass and shoot the puck with 0 fancy moves at all!

Time for the Flames tonight, a late game on the East coast at 9:30PM LETS GO PENS!

I caught last-night's Crapitals & Bolts game on local TV, where I believe Tampa scored 4 power-play goals:
Tampa repeatedly had Right-handed defenseman Kurtis Foster crank & fire his bomb of a slapper towards the net, using many as passes, or as a means to disrupt the Craps' defensive configuration

(hint-hint ~ Kris Letang, can you hear me?)
:wink02:

4xSBChamps
01-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm watching the Crapitals @ Panthers stream before the Guins @ Flames, and Frolic puts Florida ahead about 6 minutes into the game:
Meunky & greenlife52 were on-ice for the Crapitals when the goal was scored

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Sigh Another Malkin Penalty and a PP goal for the Flames and Sid scoring.

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
A PP GOOOOALLLLLLL!!! A blast from Gonchar at the point with bodies in front of the net, prob. deflects off Sid!

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
FINALLY! The Power Play scores a goal.

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I think the refs feel bad for the Pens and want them to score PP goals, 4th straight PP!

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
GOOOOALLL! Back hander from Kennedy and great fore check from Staal, man I love this third line!

steelpride12
01-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Pens win and what can you say 19-2 when the Pens have a PP goal I like that and proves how key it is.

X-Terminator
01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
It was a nice game and a nice win - Fleury was outstanding. But man...given their record when they score a PPG, imagine how many more wins they'd have if they had even a middle-of-the-pack PP. There have been a number of games they lost that would have been wins had they been able to score a goal or two on the PP. The Isles game on Black Friday, the Leafs game after Christmas, the 2nd Buffalo game and both Minnesota games immediately come to mind. That's 5 wins right there, which would have made them 34-13-1 for 69 points and the top team in the NHL right now.

SteelMember
01-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Dan keeps trying to shake up the PP, and hopefully it will start to pay off. Glad to see we got one tonight.

Your right X-T, we have way too much talent for our PP for it not to be winning us more games. We need to be closer to a 20% success rate instead of the 14.5 we have now.

I don't think 1 out of 5 should be asking too much.

LETS GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm liking Malkin on the Right-wing boards, Gonch & Letang at the top, with Crosby in-front, because his hands are sooooo-good, and he is quickly becoming deft at whacking pucks outta the air, knocking-in rebounds, etc., and they still need more-shots, to take advantage of Crosby's skill at these facets of the game:
it may sound crazy, but would Kennedy be a fit along the Left-boards, because he drives straight at the net, and likes to shoot, creating havoc for defenders?

X-Terminator
01-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm liking Malkin on the Right-wing boards, Gonch & Letang at the top, with Crosby in-front, because his hands are sooooo-good, and he is quickly becoming deft at whacking pucks outta the air, knocking-in rebounds, etc., and they still need more-shots, to take advantage of Crosby's skill at these facets of the game:
it may sound crazy, but would Kennedy be a fit along the Left-boards, because he drives straight at the net, and likes to shoot, creating havoc for defenders?

No, I still like Guerin there - better shot, better hands and a better passer. I LOVE having Sid in front of the net, though, with Geno on the right-wing boards. It sets him up for one-timers as well as opening up a little space for Gonchar to fire pucks, since the opposing PK will rotate toward him. And Sid's hands are golden, so he'll be able to deflect some pucks in and quickly find and bury any rebounds around the net.

X-Terminator
01-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Pens in Edmonton tonight to take on the Oilers, who have just been terrible over the past month. They've won just once in their past 14 games. They've been absolutely decimated with injuries - Mike Comrie, Ales Hemsky, Lubomir Visnovsky and Nikolai Khabibulin are all out of the lineup (Hemsky and Khabibulin are done for the rest of the season). They are tied with the Leafs for the 2nd worst record in the NHL. All of which means the Oilers will probably win tonight, something like 4-1. It's a classic trap game for the Pens, playing a terrible team on the road after playing a tough game last night, and I think they're going to fall into the trap.

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Toronto is beating the Phlyers 4-0 with less than 90 seconds to play

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Down 2-0 at the end of the second period and I'm trying to find something positive to say about the team.

I got nothin.

X-Terminator
01-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Down 2-0 at the end of the second period and I'm trying to find something positive to say about the team.

I got nothin.

I've got something to say....

I'm a psychic. This is EXACTLY the kind of game I was expecting tonight out of the Pens. So far, they have fallen right into the trap. Now they still have a period of hockey left to play, but I think last night's game took a lot out of them. Still though, it sucks being outplayed by the (now) 2nd worst team in the NHL.

steelpride12
01-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I wish we could find a way to at least win two games in a row, but I guess that is too much to ask for from them anymore in this slump. Well I guess a 1 in 13 team is just desperate.

A Malkin goal would be nice.

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 10:25 PM
... I'm trying to find something positive to say about the team.

I got nothin.

this team's 3rd line continually plays good two-way hockey, and their work results in decent chances:
as Chicka-Chee just said, 'we have to put more pucks on-net'

on a side-note, 'Sarah' in the newest A&L commercial looks-good in that dress from that angle, but I'd rather see the Charlie Daniels GEICO advertisement than Ed Jones'

1aZLw_KBdqc

"... dat's how ya do-it, Son..."

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I've got something to say....

I'm a psychic. This is EXACTLY the kind of game I was expecting tonight out of the Pens. So far, they have fallen right into the trap. Now they still have a period of hockey left to play, but I think last night's game took a lot out of them. Still though, it sucks being outplayed by the (now) 2nd worst team in the NHL.

Could your psychic side please come up with something that would be positive for the team, starting with ways to win games?

Thanks. :chuckle:

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
TK scores :banana:

Now we are back in this.

steelpride12
01-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Wooo yes TK goal and the Pens are back in this. Time to dig deep and get a come from behind W!
GO PENS!

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Hot damn!

The boys have woken up here in the third.

steelpride12
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!! Matt Cooke makes it 2 to 2 and this is our game now! 2 PP goals in two games, I like what I see so far!

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE]4xSBChamps;757730][SIZE="2"][B]this team's 3rd line continually plays good two-way hockey, and their work results in decent chances:[QUOTE]

I LOVE Staalsy's line.

They've got some spunk and energy that is fun to watch.

steelpride12
01-14-2010, 10:49 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!! Staal from a crazy side angle and in to make it three straight goals for the Pens and a 3 to 2 lead, GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Off Dupuis my bad his goal!

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:50 PM
What a complete turn around.

I've now, finally, have fallen in love with this game. :chuckle:

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
this team's 3rd line continually plays good two-way hockey, and their work results in decent chances:

I LOVE Staalsy's line.

They've got some spunk and energy that is fun to watch.

... no-need for applause, just send $10s & $20s...

I accept Paypal

Shea
01-14-2010, 10:53 PM
... no-need for applause, just send $10s & $20s...

I accept Paypal

Sorry, don't have an account on Paypal.

Nice try though. :flap:

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Sorry, don't have an account on Paypal.
cash works, too

Nice try though. :flap:

... you'da lost-respect for me if I hadn't tried...
:drink:

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
does it look-like the reunion of the 2nd line from the playoffs of Malkin between Tenk & Talbot is playing well-together, cycling, grinding and tiring the opposition, even-if they haven't lit the lamp?

Shea
01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
When it comes to money, it's always worth a try.

But sorry, if you go back a few pages, I believe that I stated how much I've enjoyed Jordan's line this season and the way they are and have been playing. Hell, you might owe ME some money! :sofunny:

Gonna have to come up with something else to get money outta me 4x, sorry. :chuckle:

4xSBChamps
01-14-2010, 11:12 PM
When it comes to money, it's always worth a try.

But sorry, if you go back a few pages, I believe that I stated how much I've enjoyed Jordan's line this season and the way they are and have been playing. Hell, you might owe ME some money! :sofunny:

Gonna have to come up with something else to get money outta me 4x, sorry. :chuckle:

I agree, the 3rd line, and Staal in particular, has been the one constant in this season

I'll send you a couple scheckels just-as-soon as the gubment bails me out

:banging:

X-Terminator
01-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Welp, looks like I ended up with...

http://newworldodor.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/egg-on-face1.jpg

How many times did they do this to me last season? You'd think I'd learned! :doh:

But hey, the boys didn't quit, and they got the 2 points. Don't look now, Jersey...guess who's breathing down your necks again! :thumbsup:

Shea
01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
:sofunny: at both X-T, and 4x.

What I thought was going to be a clunker of a game turned into a win in the third. I'm happy.

Back to back wins is great, especially since it seems like years ago since that last happened.

Keep it up boys - lets go for three straight on Saturday. :thumbsup:

steelpride12
01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Woohoo Pens a late game tonight against the Canucks at 10:00 EST. Lets keep this win streak alive and get some PP goals GO PENS!

4xSBChamps
01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
good time to make up lost ground, as I understand the Debs lost this afternoon... I'm currently watching the Bolts outshoot the Panthers by a 2-to-1 margin, yet they trail 5-2 late in the 2nd

MAF has a broken finger, and is questionable, and with Johnsons still hurting, it is said that Curry will start in net tonight

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!?!?!?!? AN EFFING SHORT HANDED GOAL????? This one is TOTALLY on the Defense. Curry had no chance to save that.

Shea
01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Ouch, they got a shorty on us?

I had to step out of the room for the end of the period and missed that. Damn PP. :doh:

4xSBChamps
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!?!?!?!? AN EFFING SHORT HANDED GOAL????? This one is TOTALLY on the Defense. Curry had no chance to save that.

puck was bouncing pretty-good on Sarge... Geno sounded like he was gonna DIE during that interview with Potash

Shea
01-16-2010, 10:05 PM
puck was bouncing pretty-good on Sarge... Geno sounded like he was gonna DIE during that interview with Potash

Geno always has come across as being self-conscious about speaking English and that's why I think he comes across as being gassed so much when speaking. It's nerves. His English is getting a ton better though and he shouldn't be embarrassed about it.

Great to see he got a goal tonight - although it was a cheap one. Hope that gets him going.

Shea
01-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I feel bad for Curry, but damn that is painful to watch.

Any chance the team can come back against a goalie like Luongo? I've learned to never give up on this team and there's tons of time left, but I'm thinking this is going to be a stinker.

Shea
01-16-2010, 10:23 PM
WTG Cookie.

Get one more goal here in the second and this game gets a lot more interesting.

Shea
01-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Looks like all the Pens fans on our board have logged off after watching this game up to this point and it's just me that is left.

Just me to drown in the wallow of suck that is this game. *sigh*

I've gone from rooting for a win to rooting for a game free of injuries. One period left, and God please don't make this worse with another injury to a key player. :hope:

Someone please log on and tell me it will all be allright. :chuckle: (seriously, someone tell me that.)

steelpride12
01-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Looks like all the Pens fans on our board have logged off after watching this game up to this point and it's just me that is left.

Just me to drown in the wallow of suck that is this game. *sigh*

I've gone from rooting for a win to rooting for a game free of injuries. One period left, and God please don't make this worse with another injury to a key player. :hope:

Someone please log on and tell me it will all be allright. :chuckle: (seriously, someone tell me that.)

Shea its ok you will be alright! :chuckle: Trust me this is one of those games where I just look for excuses to make like ummm Curry was the goalie. At least Malkin scored grrr just not our game. Again.

Shea
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks steelpride, I already feel better. :hug: :chuckle:

4xSBChamps
01-17-2010, 10:31 AM

I watched until the end, just wasn't getting e-mail notifications... the kid in net had a memorable night, and looked good doing-so

X-Terminator
01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Look at the bright side - the Devils lost too, so they didn't lose any ground to them. Sure would have been nice to cut their lead to 2 points though.

I knew as soon as Curry was going to start that they were probably going to get blown out. An AHL goalie who hasn't played in a week, on the road against a very good team getting one of their best players back in the lineup (Demitra). Not a good recipe for success.

Hope Fleury is able to get back in soon!

Shea
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like Mike Yeo is healthy again and will rejoin the team tomorrow night behind the bench. Good news - hate to see someone so young with health problems.

Also, looks like Orpik and Johnson might be back tomorrow night. Although, according to an article on the Pens' site, Curry is projected to start in goal and Orpik will be out, but other sources I've read have the two as being probable for being in the starting line-up.

Not sure which is which, but I'm rooting for the latter. I'd much rather see Johnson than Curry playing and I love Orpik being in the line-up always.

We'll find out soon enough I guess. Looking forward to the game, and then up next the Caps. Thank God that one won't be on Versus like I feared. :thumbsup:

Shea
01-18-2010, 11:30 PM
This little man is too cute. What is it about little kids and hockey that makes my ovaries ache?

6sdM38z8H9I

Love me some Joseph! :hug:

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Looks like Mike Yeo is healthy again and will rejoin the team tomorrow night behind the bench. Good news - hate to see someone so young with health problems.

Also, looks like Orpik and Johnson might be back tomorrow night. Although, according to an article on the Pens' site, Curry is projected to start in goal and Orpik will be out, but other sources I've read have the two as being probable for being in the starting line-up.

Not sure which is which, but I'm rooting for the latter. I'd much rather see Johnson than Curry playing and I love Orpik being in the line-up always.

We'll find out soon enough I guess. Looking forward to the game, and then up next the Caps. Thank God that one won't be on Versus like I feared. :thumbsup:

The Trib is saying Orpik will play, but that no decision has been made for the starting goalie yet since Johnson will be available tonight. My guess is that Curry will start tonight and Johnson Thursday night against the Caps.

And apparently Mike Yeo's problem was his blood pressure spiking up, but none of the tests revealed the cause. I'm glad his healthy and able to coach - I have hypertension as does many members of my family, and it isn't something you take lightly.

SteelMember
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Johnson to be in goal for Penguins tonight (http://postgazette.com/pg/10019/1029372-100.stm)
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Brent Johnson, who has missed the past five games because of an undisclosed injury, will be in goal when the Penguins face the New York Islanders tonight at 7:38 at Mellon Arena.

Johnson underwent an MRI of his injury yesterday and said it showed nothing that would prevent him from playing.

Johnson said after practice yesterday that he would like to get in a few more practices before playing. Today, however, he said his concerns primarily were about stamina, not sharpness, and that he does not expect that to be an issue this evening.

Fire Haley
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Someone please log on and tell me it will all be allright.

They are still 4th in the East - coasting now for a bit. No worries.

Their heads just aren't in the game. They look bored. I blame the Winter Olympics.

SteelCityMom
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Their heads just aren't in the game. They look bored. I blame the Winter Olympics.

That, and I think a lot of it is just general fatigue. They've played longer than any team (other than the Wings...who are battling for a playoff spot as of now) in the past two years. It was bound to take its toll on these guys eventually. I know that Sid, Fleury, Gonch, Geno and Orpik won't get a break for the Olympics, but it'll help the other guys out tremendously.

X-Terminator
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM

And they are still within striking distance of both the division and conference leads despite their struggles and have a 7-point lead on the 5th place team. So they're still in pretty good shape. This stretch coming up is crucial though - they have 8 of their next 12 games at home, and they will need to make it count because they will be spending a lot of time on the road in March and April.

Kinda surprised Johnson is getting the nod tonight, but that's OK with me. The Isles are in a fight for a playoff spot and have been playing pretty well lately, so this game will be no gimme by any means.

HometownGal
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
XT and I will be at the game tonight cheering on our Pens! :applaudit: I've been quite impressed with Johnson in the net in relief of MAF and am looking forward to seeing him in goal tonight. :thumbsup:

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
YAY! Go Johnson in net tonight, he is been great for the Pens this season and hoping for another strong output from him tonight at home against the Isles! GO PENS!

Have fun HTG and XT!

Fire Haley
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Shoot the puck!!!

That's all i ask

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Why do the Pens down grade on the PP so bad. Low percentage side shot, missed shots, short handed opportunities. With all this talent its hard to witness.

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Well since im already complaining, MALKIN STOP TAKING PENALTIES EVER GAME.

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Pens have a short handed 3 on 1 and puck gets fumbled in Dupuis legs...sigh!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
GOOOOALLLL!!! SId with the juicy rebound at the end of the period to give the Pens a 1 to 0 lead!

Fire Haley
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
See there?

Shoot the puck and good things happen.....the bounce to Sid!

1-0

Fire Haley
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Geno!

First 5 on 3 the Pens have made all year

2-0

Johnson is a God!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
GOOOALLLL! Malkin on the 5 on 3 and who better to score, but him! YES! As well a penalty shot stopped by Johnson as he is on fire tonight coming back from injury!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Amazing puck movement on the PP for the Pens pass from Sid to Guerin for the goal, second PP goal of the night and 3 to 0 lead for our Pens!

Fire Haley
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Sid cleans up another loose puck!

4-0

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
GOOALLLL!! Sid there for another rebound to make it 4 to 1, but Isle score less than 2 minutes later to cut the lead to 4 to 2.

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
JEEZ! Isle Score with less than a minute into the period to cut the lead to 1.

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I knew the Isle would tie this game up and now its a dog fight! Come on Pens!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 08:48 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! WOW What a rip from Malkin for the Pens 3rd PP goal of the night to make it 5 to 4 Pens wow what a sick shot!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow I hope Dupuis is ok he got slammed against the boards, bleeding pretty badly!

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 09:13 PM
PHEWW! HAT TRICK MALKIN! What a way to win getting him back in the scoring column and the Pens gettting 6 goals and getting 2 points tonight is huge!

Shea
01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Whew, good to get the win tonight. Things got a little hairy there in the third and I was worried.

Great to see Geno get a hatty, hopefully that will get his game going. Wonder if Ron Cook was watching? :chuckle:

Johnson had some HUGE saves tonight, the PP was great, and Sid had six points tonight. :jawdrop: I wonder if that's a career high?

Wow I hope Dupuis is ok he got slammed against the boards, bleeding pretty badly!

I hope he's OK as well. That was scary. Looks like he was out for a bit and then when he lifted his head there was quite a bit of blood on the ice. Thankfully, he wears a visor to help protect his face because he really might be in more trouble right now without one.

HometownGal
01-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Why do the Pens down grade on the PP so bad. Low percentage side shot, missed shots, short handed opportunities. With all this talent its hard to witness.

4 PPG's tonight. Think you might have spoke a little too soon. :chuckle:

When Dups was laying there on the ice not moving, I had flashbacks to Kevin Stevens' serious injury in the '93 playoff game against the Isles. I was at that game, too, and I think everyone at the arena that night thought Kevin was dead as he laid on that ice for what seemed like an eternity. Tonight from our seats, we could hear Dups hitting the board and he was out. When I saw Roloson frantically waving his goalie stick, I knew it was bad. I pray to God Dups is OK. :hope: Mr. Sutton will almost assuredly be suspended and I hope it's a 7-10 game suspension as the NHL absolutely cannot allow these types of hits to continue and need to send a VERY strong message. Someone is going to be permanently injured by this type of goonery if the league doesn't put a stop to it. :mad:

steelpride12
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
4 PPG's tonight. Think you might have spoke a little too soon. :chuckle:

When Dups was laying there on the ice not moving, I had flashbacks to Kevin Stevens' serious injury in the '93 playoff game against the Isles. I was at that game, too, and I think everyone at the arena that night thought Kevin was dead as he laid on that ice for what seemed like an eternity. Tonight from our seats, we could hear Dups hitting the board and he was out. When I saw Roloson frantically waving his goalie stick, I knew it was bad. I pray to God Dups is OK. :hope: Mr. Sutton will almost assuredly be suspended and I hope it's a 7-10 game suspension as the NHL absolutely cannot allow these types of hits to continue and need to send a VERY strong message. Someone is going to be permanently injured by this type of goonery if the league doesn't put a stop to it. :mad:

:chuckle: It was just after the first PP, but im not complaining one bit that I was wrong at all!

SteelMember
01-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Pens had some good things happening for them (PP goals, Hat trick for Malkin whose been struggling recently, 6 points for Crosby), but they also kept the Isles in the game with some sloppy play at times. Johnson made some nice saves on those letdowns, but there's still plenty for this team to work on.

Overall, a good game. A win is 2 points any way you look at it. It gets us that much closer to the Devils, although I think we have 4 more games played.

Hope Dupuis will be alright. He really took a bad shot, and Sutton could definitely be seeing some suspension time. He's been team mates with Dups in ATL, so I don't think there was any animosity. Just some frustration and a bad decision. This is exactly the type of unnecessary hit the league is cracking down on.