PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46

steelpride12
01-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Pens had some good things happening for them (PP goals, Hat trick for Malkin whose been struggling recently, 6 points for Crosby), but they also kept the Isles in the game with some sloppy play at times. Johnson made some nice saves on those letdowns, but there's still plenty for this team to work on.

Overall, a good game. A win is 2 points any way you look at it. It gets us that much closer to the Devils, although I think we have 4 more games played.

Hope Dupuis will be alright. He really took a bad shot, and Sutton could definitely be seeing some suspension time. He's been team mates with Dups in ATL, so I don't think there was any animosity. Just some frustration and a bad decision. This is exactly the type of unnecessary hit the league is cracking down on.

Agreed. Something I notice a lot from the Pens in the past ten games or so is the amount of breakaways our defense is allowed. Two alone last night from Okposo and gave him a penalty shot as well.

Thankful Johnson had a strong game. Also I notice the fact that every time the Pens score a big goal to give them a two goal lead or such, they always seem to give the next goal up never putting the game away.

I see Sutton hopefully getting 7-10 game suspension for that hit. The league now has been stressing just those types for the past two seasons now strongly and that hit last night was viscous and un called for so I expect it.

Fire Haley
01-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I watched the game on the NHL channel - Dupuis got jacked up head first into the boards, scary, face down in a puddle of blood - looked like he was dead.

Got up and walked off.

Johnson saved the day - the defense tried to give away the game late in the last 2 minutes in front of the net but he fought them off.

OneForTheToe
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
listened on the car radio last night - as I have to do most nights. Exciting to say the least. Any word on Talbot? I heard Mike Lange say he left the game.

SteelCityMom
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
listened on the car radio last night - as I have to do most nights. Exciting to say the least. Any word on Talbot? I heard Mike Lange say he left the game.

Here's the updates on all the injuries...though no real word on what Talbots exact injury is.

Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma updated the media on the team's current injury situations:

- Pascal Dupuis sported a swollen right eye in the locker room after being checked face first into the boards late in the third period of Tuesday's 6-4 victory over the Islanders. Dupuis was briefly unconscious and left the game.

"For Pascal we'll go with a lower-body injury," Bylsma joked. Then he added: "He is going through a series of tests right now to make sure the structure of everything is OK. It certainly looks pretty bad but when you get cut above the eye and you sleep on it, it usually swells up and you see that discoloration. We went through some tests today, we'll do some tests tomorrow and see where he's at. He's day-to-day, possibly (playing Thursday). If not (Thursday) then hopefully for the weekend"

- Max Talbot left Pittsburgh's Tuesday win in the second period and did not return.

Bylsma: "Max is a lower-body injury, he's day-to-day."

- Marc-Andre Fleury has been out after fracturing his left ring finger in a 3-1 win at Calgary Jan. 13.

Bylsma: "We are waiting for a new glove for Flower. He should be getting it (Thursday) morning. He'll be going on the ice with the new glove prior to practice. He could possibly practice with us. ... We are waiting for a new glove that would fit what he needs to wear on his finger and make it more comfortable. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully we can progress to practice and we'll go from there."

- Sergei Gonchar skated at the start of the Penguins' Wednesday practice session but left the ice early for the locker room.

Bylsma: "He was on the ice briefly. He's still dealing with an injury from a few weeks ago. He's day-to-day. Hopefully we'll have him again (Thursday)."

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514294

X-Terminator
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Per NHL.com and TSN.ca, Sutton gets 2...yes TWO...games for boarding Dupuis last night:

TORONTO – New York Islanders defenseman Andy Sutton has been suspended for two games, without pay, for an incident in NHL game #738 against Pittsburgh Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis, Tuesday night, the National Hockey League announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Sutton will forfeit $31,088.08. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Sutton was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for boarding at 17:05 of the third period. Dupuis was injured on the play.

Sutton will miss Thursday’s game against Florida and Jan. 23 against New Jersey. He will be eligible to return Jan. 26 against Washington.

Shea
01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Per NHL.com and TSN.ca, Sutton gets 2...yes TWO...games for boarding Dupuis last night:

Just two? I think it should have been more. That scared the bajeebers out of me when Duper went down and I think Sutton should have been excessed a much tougher punishment. That was a nasty hit Dups took, and with his head slamming right on the edge of the boards could have easily resulted into a much more serious injury. Perhaps, I'm just being a homer on that though. :noidea:

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow night against the Caps, yet I keep thinking that Ovechkin might be super-amped for the match-up with an opponent that has two of the best players in the league opposed to him, and add the fact that the Pens kicked his ass and team out of the playoffs last year.

What if his emotions get the best of him and it turns into another situation where he makes a dirty play and seriously hurts one of our players?

Can't wait for the game, but am I over-thinking what Ovechkin might do? :nervous:

SteelCityMom
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Just two? I think it should have been more. That scared the bajeebers out of me when Duper went down and I think Sutton should have been excessed a much tougher punishment. That was a nasty hit Dups took, and with his head slamming right on the edge of the boards could have easily resulted into a much more serious injury. Perhaps, I'm just being a homer on that though. :noidea:

I thought he maybe might get more as well, even though I don't think he had bad intentions. I think the league needs to crack down on this more though and be consistent across the board. Some players just need to learn how to be smarter about their hits.

I didn't see this game, but hits like this scare the crap out of me. Patrick Roy says it best when talking about the junior and NHLs stance on hits to the head.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzhF2viguGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzhF2viguGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Shea
01-21-2010, 12:51 AM
I also don't think he had bad intentions, but that needs to be put aside when assessing punishments for such devastating hits. I constantly worry about what might happen to a player in this game that I love, and the video you provided just reinforces that belief as far as I'm concerned.

I love hockey, actually I LOVE LOVE LOVE hockey, but it scares me more than football as far as player safety goes, which is ironic when I think about it. You'd think it would be vice versus when comparing the two sports, yet hockey, as far as injury potential goes and the inevitable catastrophe it presents, makes me more nervous. And take into account that each player literally has two sharpened knives below their feet and it amazes me that so many games go by without a major tradgedy.

I don't even like that fighting is allowed, although I root for any Pens player when it comes to fisticuffs, and hypocritically cheer when a Pens player kicks ass in a fight. I know hockey purist would disagree with my stance on fighting, but it's, for the most part, is too hard for me to watch. I get nervous everytime there is a fight because I invision a serious injury.

As a fan it scares me when watching what can happen at any moment on the ice, and makes me think of the players' family - the mothers, wives, etc. Just as a fan from a distance it's hard, for them it must be excruciating.

X-Terminator
01-21-2010, 09:11 AM

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow night against the Caps, yet I keep thinking that Ovechkin might be super-amped for the match-up with an opponent that has two of the best players in the league opposed to him, and add the fact that the Pens kicked his ass and team out of the playoffs last year.

What if his emotions get the best of him and it turns into another situation where he makes a dirty play and seriously hurts one of our players?

Can't wait for the game, but am I over-thinking what Ovechkin might do? :nervous:

Given that Capt. Caveman (can actually call him that now since he is the captain) has already been suspended this season and has dished out his share of hits from behind and knee-on-knee hits, the likelihood is pretty good that he'll end up hurting someone. Cavey is a great player, no doubt, but he's one of the dirtiest players in the game, because he plays so recklessly and with no regard or respect for his opponents. If he does, I fully expect there to be immediate retribution, especially if Rupp or Godard is on the ice. Time for him to learn a big-time lesson in respect.

I thought he maybe might get more as well, even though I don't think he had bad intentions. I think the league needs to crack down on this more though and be consistent across the board. Some players just need to learn how to be smarter about their hits.

I didn't see this game, but hits like this scare the crap out of me. Patrick Roy says it best when talking about the junior and NHLs stance on hits to the head.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzhF2viguGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzhF2viguGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I saw this hit, and it was just disgusting. He deserves every bit of that indefinite suspension, and will probably get kicked out of the Q. And the amazing thing is that this kid was Team Canada's captain at the WJC! He also has quite a history of cheap and dirty play, despite obviously being a very good player. And just to briefly get into Shea's point about fighting and to rehash my point about Capt. Caveman's lack of respect for other players, this is hockey's future if fighting is ever banned. There are obviously a lot of cheap shots now, but there would be far, far more if you take fighting out of the game. It's an emotional game, and sometimes emotion gets to the point where you want to take it out on someone. Considering that plus the lack of respect among many players today, I'd much rather them deal with that aggression by dropping the gloves and throwing fists than ending someone's career with a dirty cheap shot like that one.

I also don't think he had bad intentions, but that needs to be put aside when assessing punishments for such devastating hits. I constantly worry about what might happen to a player in this game that I love, and the video you provided just reinforces that belief as far as I'm concerned.

I love hockey, actually I LOVE LOVE LOVE hockey, but it scares me more than football as far as player safety goes, which is ironic when I think about it. You'd think it would be vice versus when comparing the two sports, yet hockey, as far as injury potential goes and the inevitable catastrophe it presents, makes me more nervous. And take into account that each player literally has two sharpened knives below their feet and it amazes me that so many games go by without a major tradgedy.

I don't even like that fighting is allowed, although I root for any Pens player when it comes to fisticuffs, and hypocritically cheer when a Pens player kicks ass in a fight. I know hockey purist would disagree with my stance on fighting, but it's, for the most part, is too hard for me to watch. I get nervous everytime there is a fight because I invision a serious injury.

As a fan it scares me when watching what can happen at any moment on the ice, and makes me think of the players' family - the mothers, wives, etc. Just as a fan from a distance it's hard, for them it must be excruciating.

I agree, but that is the risk you take whenever you strap on the pads and skates. You can be injured and possibly have your career ended at any time, even on an innocent and clean play. Family members of hockey players, for the most part, know and understand this, so in that regard, it makes it a little bit easier on them. There are some who won't watch them play for that reason, but still, they know of the risks involved.

As for your point about fighting...you are far more likely to be injured just fighting for the puck rather than fighting with your fists. Look at Dupes - he's trying to play the puck, and Sutton drills him from behind. In the 23+ years I have been following hockey, I can think of maybe 4 players who have had their careers ended in fights and not that many more who have been seriously injured. That's 4 players out the hundreds of players, thousands of games and thousands of fights in those 23 years. But I can think of and name 20-30 players this year alone who have been seriously injured and missed time due to big hits, clean or dirty. And as I stated above, you would be giving players the license to cheap shot with impunity if you remove fighting from the game. Most European leagues ban fighting, but the cheap shots they have in those leagues are off the charts. There's even a fair amount of dirty play at the college level, where of course you are suspended if you fight. Call me a purist...yeah, I guess I am...but I in no why whatsoever support the NHL banning fighting, and thankfully the league doesn't either...well, except maybe Roger Goodell's twin, Gary Bettman.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
As for the belief that Sutton didn't have bad intentions when he hit Dupes from behind, read on . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10020/1029560-61.stm

Winger Pascal Dupuis was knocked out of the game at 17:05 of the third period, when Islanders defenseman Andy Sutton drove him head-first into the boards behind the Islanders' goal with a hit from behind. Dupuis bled heavily from a cut above his eye before being helped to the locker room.

Sutton, who had been Dupuis' teammate in Atlanta and Minnesota, received a major penalty and game misconduct. The league office will review the play to determine if a suspension is in order.

"Obviously, it wasn't clean," Sutton said. "Pascal was injured. I just hope he's OK. That's about all I can say."

A two game suspension? What a JOKE. :shake02:

X-Terminator
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
"Obviously it wasn't clean..."

Well no shit, Sherlock! And for that hit that obviously wasn't clean, you got the equivalent of a slap on the wrist, even though you've been suspended before for a similar hit. How Colin Campbell, the discipline czar, saw fit to only give him 2 games is beyond me. He's a repeat offender, Colin...I thought that mattered? Oh wait, nevermind - you base your suspensions off throwing darts at a dartboard.

X-Terminator
01-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Pens recall Nick Johnson and Dustin Jeffrey:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514403&navid=DL|PIT|home

SteelMember
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
As for the belief that Sutton didn't have bad intentions when he hit Dupes from behind, read on:

Well. there was this too...

Penguins Notebook: Dupuis battered, but unbowed (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10021/1029946-61.stm)

Dupuis and Sutton used to be teammates, and Dupuis said he knew that Sutton was upset about what he did.

"He felt really bad," Dupuis said. "He tried to contact me. I sent him a text back."

Dupuis did not call for Sutton to be suspended, but made it clear that, remorse aside, Sutton had to accept responsibility for his actions.

"Maybe he didn't want to do it," Dupuis said. "But he still did it."

Anyway, they're on different teams now.

I'm not even sure that the off-ice relationship is/was that strong. :noidea:

Fire Haley
01-21-2010, 01:03 PM
woo-hoo

the game is the NHL channel tonight

Fire Haley
01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Injury updates on Fleury, Talbot, and Dupuis...Gonchar leaves practice early.

From the Penguins' site:

Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma updated the media on the team's current injury situations:

- Pascal Dupuis sported a swollen right eye in the locker room after being checked face first into the boards late in the third period of Tuesday's 6-4 victory over the Islanders. Dupuis was briefly unconscious and left the game.

"For Pascal we'll go with a lower-body injury," Bylsma joked. Then he added: "He is going through a series of tests right now to make sure the structure of everything is OK. It certainly looks pretty bad but when you get cut above the eye and you sleep on it, it usually swells up and you see that discoloration. We went through some tests today, we'll do some tests tomorrow and see where he's at. He's day-to-day, possibly (playing Thursday). If not (Thursday) then hopefully for the weekend"

- Max Talbot left Pittsburgh's Tuesday win in the second period and did not return.

Bylsma: "Max is a lower-body injury, he's day-to-day."

- Marc-Andre Fleury has been out after fracturing his left ring finger in a 3-1 win at Calgary Jan. 13.

Bylsma: "We are waiting for a new glove for Flower. He should be getting it (Thursday) morning. He'll be going on the ice with the new glove prior to practice. He could possibly practice with us. ... We are waiting for a new glove that would fit what he needs to wear on his finger and make it more comfortable. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully we can progress to practice and we'll go from there."

- Sergei Gonchar skated at the start of the Penguins' Wednesday practice session but left the ice early for the locker room.

Bylsma: "He was on the ice briefly. He's still dealing with an injury from a few weeks ago. He's day-to-day. Hopefully we'll have him again (Thursday)."

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Well we will see who is playing tonight, but since the Pens recalled Nick Johnson and Dustin Jeffrey in sure all those named above except Gonch will be out tonight.
Hope the Pens come out hard tonight because the Caps always seem to do and im hoping that Orpik gets his fair share of chances at Caveman he is due for a pounding.
LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Hope the Pens come out hard tonight because the Caps always seem to do and im hoping that Orpik gets his fair share of chances at Caveman he is due for a pounding.
LETS GO PENS!

ME too! :hope: :thumbsup:

I was just watching the pre-game and they showed a clip of an interview with the Caveman. With all the gazillions of green that dirty schmuck makes, why the hell hasn't he fixed those choppers of his? :yuck: :horror: Jagr had the same issue but eventually got his teeth fixed and capped.

Always a tough game when playing the Craps. Let's hope the PP is as effective tonight as it was on Tuesday night!

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
ME too! :hope: :thumbsup:

I was just watching the pre-game and they showed a clip of an interview with the Caveman. With all the gazillions of green that dirty schmuck makes, why the hell hasn't he fixed those choppers of his? :yuck: :horror: Jagr had the same issue but eventually got his teeth fixed and capped.

Always a tough game when playing the Craps. Let's hope the PP is as effective tonight as it was on Tuesday night!

LETS GO PENS!
That will be huge for sure, the PP has to score tonight and Malkin needs to continue his roll he is on now. Shoot the puck, get plenty of on goal shots and Johnson keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
GO PENS!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
That will be huge for sure, the PP has to score tonight and Malkin needs to continue his roll he is on now. Shoot the puck, get plenty of on goal shots and Johnson keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
GO PENS!

Theodore is in the net for the Craps tonight and has a phenomenal record against us, so I agree - SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!!!! And - park Rupp in front of the net and dare anyone to move him.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Sheeesh! Pens are trapped in their zone watching the Caps get shots, gotta have a stronger start then this boys!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Serg just took a stick in the face, the ref was standing right there and nothing called. :banging: :banging:

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
SCORE!!!! :banana: :banana: Looks like Tenk gets the goal here.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
GOOOOALLLLLL!!! Theodore miss plays the puck and finally hit in by Sid right on the goal line! What a weird play and a lucky bounce. Hit around a few times by Fedo, but hit in with Sid! Pens lead 1 to 0!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Sid gets credit for the goal. Hey - whoever put it in, that goal was HUGE.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Sid gets credit for the goal. Hey - whoever put it in, that goal was HUGE.

Sid was going to congratulate Fedo and just said "hey ill tap it in"!
Huge mistake for the Caps, Awesome late Christmas present for the Pens!:drink:

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Johnson is lightning with that glove, love it!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Pens on PP. :hope:

steelpride12
Pass from Malkin to Johnson, Soooo close! PP coming up, lets keep the fire coming boys!

HometownGal
Dayum - Serg fired that laser of his and hit the crossbar. :banging:

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
OHHH! Theodore with a huge save on Sid on the backhand and again on Guerin SHOOT!
The boys came to play tonight!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Sighh! Ovie shot to the net and Knuble with the rebound.

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Damn. Knuble scored on the Cavey rebound. :banging: SOMEONE - PLEASE slam the dirty little schmo. We're all tied up at 1.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Second PP of the period, 1:50 seconds left time to take the lead! Caps with 15 shots already time to play some defense boys!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
End of the first and well all I can say is offense offense offense! 15 shots for the Caps, 13 for the Pens and 1 to 1 tie game, what a great first period and looking like the Pens will go 0 for 2 in the PP, but it looks better and the chances are their.
The Pens just need to stop the rush from the neutral zone. They are giving up odd man rush opportunities with speed and the Caps are getting chances off that!
Lets Go Pens!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I thought the Pens played a pretty good first period but they've just got to have Johnny's back a little more, especially when #8 is on the ice.

Me thinks we're going to see some rough housing in the 2nd period. Cookie has that evil look in his eye. :chuckle:

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Tired unit of the Pens after an icing and another quick down low goal from the Caps. COME ON QUINS!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Nick Johnson gets his 1st goal!!! :applaudit:

We're tied at 2~!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:37 PM
GOOALLLLLLl!! After a shot from Fedo twice, and Malkin a wide open net for Mr. Johnson the call up and his first NHL game to give the Pens a 2 to 2 tie now WOOO!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
How was that hit from Caveman on Fedotenko with no puck around either a legit hit with no penalty!?

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
How many times are the refs going to allow Ovechkin to get away with shit??? :mad: :mad:

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:46 PM
BOOM! Yes a hit on Ovie from Orpik LOVE IT!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
3rd PP of the game as a hooking call on the Caps and the Pens are just getting physical and pounding these guys!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :banana:

Great feed by Geno to Letang! Take that Craps!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
WOW!!! will not count as a PP goal, but wat a heck of a job on that PP and a knuckle from Letang into the net giving the Pens a 3 to 2 lead YESS!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
$159,000 raised by the Canadians and Pens raised money tonight for the Haiti victims WOW! So happy that the NHL is doing this!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
PP coming up for the Caps, nice the Pens stayed disciplined for this long now we need to shut this #1 PP down!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 09:00 PM
The worst possible thing to happen, Caveman scores to tie the game on their sickly good PP. 3 to 3.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 09:05 PM
WOW! Fleishman knocks down Letang and that's the counted third no call hit tonight from the Caps! Pissing me off refs!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 09:10 PM
End of the second period and another fast paced, high shooting period. 3 to 3 tie and its what was expected. After the second Caps goal Pittsburgh came out physical getting a lot of great hit. Although the Pens 3rd goal was not on the PP it was a heck of one and the Pens were getting shots left and right.
Pens need to keep shooting and keep getting physical, they are winning that battle and it will wear down the Caps!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
IM SICK OF THESE BREAKAWAYS! We give up at least one every single game and that is not normal and the odds are terrible. Goal of course 4 to 3 Caps.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Of course Caps PP and another goal for them, 2 for 2 on the PP and 5 to 3 lead making this game a much steeper climb!
I believe, Lets Go Pens!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I never count this team out. We're down 2 with a little under 10 left. C'mon guys - get that puck down there and put 2 in the net.

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
We're going on the PP - Backstrom slashing. Let's get one back here! :hope:

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
9:24 left and a Pens PP coming up! TIme for a goal to cut this lead to 1 goal Lets Go Pens!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
C'mon boyz - lots of time left!!!

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Ehh this game seems to really tick me off tonight for some reason. All was going great all game long it was a close game, but in distance. Physical play and getting puck to the net, but what really set me off was what has happened a lot these last few game; The Pens always seem to be giving up breakaways and def. tonight with a tie game giving a break away goal up was un called for and its starting to become a typical thing.
0 for 4 on the PP I was expecting better. It looked good early, but slumped toward the final one's. Guess I ask for too much, but I want to beat a good legit team to prove ourselves and tonight was looking good, but the breakaway took that all away.

Oh well it was just one game. Time for the FLyers on Sunday its a 12:30 EST game and time to get a little pay back!
GO PENS!

HometownGal
01-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Ehh this game seems to really tick me off tonight for some reason. All was going great all game long it was a close game, but in distance. Physical play and getting puck to the net, but what really set me off was what has happened a lot these last few game; The Pens always seem to be giving up breakaways and def. tonight with a tie game giving a break away goal up was un called for and its starting to become a typical thing.
0 for 4 on the PP I was expecting better. It looked good early, but slumped toward the final one's. Guess I ask for too much, but I want to beat a good legit team to prove ourselves and tonight was looking good, but the breakaway took that all away.

Oh well it was just one game. Time for the FLyers on Sunday its a 12:30 EST game and time to get a little pay back!
GO PENS!

Ughhhhh. I feel your pain. I really thought they had this one but it just wasn't meant to be tonight I guess.

You're right - time to put this one behind us and gear up for the hated Flyers. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
01-21-2010, 10:13 PM

GO PENS!

Well, it's pretty clear that their defense has been terrible really for the past month, save for a couple of games. Every game they are giving up odd-man rushes, breakaways, turnovers, leaving players wide open in front of the net...you do that enough times and you're going to get burned, especially against a team like the Caps. Look at the last 2 goals they gave up - a breakaway by Fleischmann after both defensemen get caught pinching, and I don't know what the hell they were doing on Backstrom's goal, because nobody even made a move toward him until was ready to score. Puck management...it's not just some catchy phrase, guys! Something has to be done about their defense, and it has to be done ASAP. The Flyers are scoring goals in bunches too and scored 7 against the Pens in their last meeting...think they're looking forward to getting a shot at our awful defense again?

Letang, BTW, and his goal notwithstanding...someone needs to tell him that playing defense is the primary job of a DEFENSEman. He takes way too many chances in the offensive zone and has gotten burned on multiple occasions. He and Goligoski both have been brutal in their own zone too.

Shea
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, the first two periods were fun........

One positive would be that nobody seems to have gotten hurt. Letang, especially got lucky in that area. The one angle they showed on TV had his head awkwardly going into the glass, but thankfully, unlike Duper, atleast it wasn't on the edge of the boards. And I could have sworn Errey said that Dups need 37 stitches for his injury - maybe I heard that wrong because that seems like an awful lot. Poor guy.

Onto the Flyers. What a strange starting time for me on the west coast. Hockey at 9:30 in the morning seems off. Get a win and I won't care though! :thumbsup:

XT, you're right about fighting as a tool that players use to police each other. I never thought of it that way before. I'll just have to continue to nervously cringe and pray during fights that nobody gets seriously hurt.

steelpride12
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, it's pretty clear that their defense has been terrible really for the past month, save for a couple of games. Every game they are giving up odd-man rushes, breakaways, turnovers, leaving players wide open in front of the net...you do that enough times and you're going to get burned, especially against a team like the Caps. Look at the last 2 goals they gave up - a breakaway by Fleischmann after both defensemen get caught pinching, and I don't know what the hell they were doing on Backstrom's goal, because nobody even made a move toward him until was ready to score. Puck management...it's not just some catchy phrase, guys! Something has to be done about their defense, and it has to be done ASAP. The Flyers are scoring goals in bunches too and scored 7 against the Pens in their last meeting...think they're looking forward to getting a shot at our awful defense again?

Letang, BTW, and his goal notwithstanding...someone needs to tell him that playing defense is the primary job of a DEFENSEman. He takes way too many chances in the offensive zone and has gotten burned on multiple occasions. He and Goligoski both have been brutal in their own zone too.

I know it is def. the defense, but is it more the players or the play of the defense. I feel its the play because we have a solid defense. Gonch is self explainable he is the leader and can score and play great D. Letang is young and upcoming with the nich to score goals, but I feel his defensive play is sloppy at times. Eaton is a sold defensive defense men and makes big plays on defense and blocks shots. GoGo is another one who can score the puck, but needs work on the defense part. Mckee is just play a great blocker. Pretty slow and gets beat at times, but when he is in front of the net he can block any shot coming at him.

HometownGal
01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I know it is def. the defense, but is it more the players or the play of the defense. I feel its the play because we have a solid defense. Gonch is self explainable he is the leader and can score and play great D. Letang is young and upcoming with the nich to score goals, but I feel his defensive play is sloppy at times. Eaton is a sold defensive defense men and makes big plays on defense and blocks shots. GoGo is another one who can score the puck, but needs work on the defense part. Mckee is just play a great blocker. Pretty slow and gets beat at times, but when he is in front of the net he can block any shot coming at him.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

I felt sorry for Johnny last night as for the most part, the D sold him out on at least 3 of those goals. :banging: Letang and GoGo need to step up their play - they both have such tremendous potential.

X-Terminator
01-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Spot on. :thumbsup:

I felt sorry for Johnny last night as for the most part, the D sold him out on at least 3 of those goals. :banging: Letang and GoGo need to step up their play - they both have such tremendous potential.

From what I've been reading, the Pens may be shopping Letang to bring in a legitimate top 6 goal scorer, which they desperately need. The Pens are loaded on D in the organization, plus Letang still is insisting he's worth $3.5 million a year, so they can afford to trade him. So stay tuned!

steelpride12
01-22-2010, 11:11 AM
From what I've been reading, the Pens may be shopping Letang to bring in a legitimate top 6 goal scorer, which they desperately need. The Pens are loaded on D in the organization, plus Letang still is insisting he's worth $3.5 million a year, so they can afford to trade him. So stay tuned!

This should be an exciting trade deadline this season I am excited to see what the organization has up their sleeves! :popcorn:

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Time for some payback today against the Philthadelphia Cryers! I just love beating this team on their home ice and hearing those so called "loyal" fans boo their team off the ice after a loss!
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
A slash on Sid? Bad call of course. Pens need to score first!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Well the Caps and now Cryers are really tearing apart our PK which was ranked good, but this defense is just horid right now. Cryers lead 1 to 0.

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I cringe every time the Pens play an afternoon game...I hope they can play well today. Not such a good start, but it's early.

GO PENS! Shut those Cryer fans up!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
What a piece of trash! Hartnell knocks over Johnson and hurts him! Jesus I can't stand him!

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh God...I hope Johnson's ok. They can't afford to put Curry in the net today.

Screw you Hartnell.

NVM....just saw Fleury on the bench. Still hope Johnson's ok.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
jesus 5 on 3 for cryers

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Well dirty words, dirty words, dirty words....what a crappy start.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
This is out of hand already. Killed off the first part of the 5 on 3 and Gonchar gets a stick in the mouth! I hate the Flyers in every way for these kinds of pay back moves!

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Kind of weird to see all these penalties on both sides already after the refs swallowed their whistles so much in the Caps/Pens game.

Nice even up penalty though against the Cryers, much needed.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Kind of weird to see all these penalties on both sides already after the refs swallowed their whistles so much in the Caps/Pens game.

Nice even up penalty though against the Cryers, much needed.

It's too bad its hard to rely on our PP at all I just wish it was 5 on 5 right now.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:02 PM
We need to work on this defense. Possibly utilize a neutral zone trap because all these teams are flying in our zone with a man advantage or two and getting the puck to the net always.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I just watched Sid get his head nailed close or into the boards with no call whatsoever. This is so frustrating right now!

SteelCityMom
It's too bad its hard to rely on our PP at all I just wish it was 5 on 5 right now.

Haha, no doubt. It's looked a little better the past few games when they stopped being fancy pants and just shot the puck more...but they seem to have slid back into the fancy pants mode again. Emery's just not that good, get pucks on him and the points will come!

steelpride12
Flyers goal and Penalty on the Pens. Sighhh looks like another blow out is in hand.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Ahh YES NO GOAL!!!

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Whew...that was lucky.

I don't know if my BP will let me watch this whole game lol.

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 01:07 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That is the way to do it! Nice PP goal.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!!! On the PP a shot from Gonchar from the point in the net to tie the game 1 to 1 now!
Lets Go Pens!
Huge getting a PP goal!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Philly PP coming up. If we want to win this game we need to be the team who plays smart and stays out of the box!

SteelCityMom
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Nice way to step up Letang...good Cryer beating right there.

It's gonna get ugly in the 2nd I think,

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Ehh GoGo hit hard and Letang stepping up for him and fighting Powe to show his support and took him down WOO! Of course a Cryers PP so the Pens are not being disciplines right now and its going to cost us!
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:20 PM
End of the first and what a typical first period from these two teams. 1 to 1 tie with 10 shots for Cryers, 5 for our Pens. Pretty good of course Physical, but what matters most is the Pens got a PP goal and their record is excellent with that.
Need to stay disciplines though. Of course thats hard to do against this team, but need to if we want to keep them off the PP and giving us a shot to win this one!
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Much better period so far for the Pens! 12 shots to 11 Pens advantage and getting great chances!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
WOO Pens PP coming up toward the end of the second period time to get another one right here!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Eww terrible PP for the Pens, but I guess when you get one it's hard to complain.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Sighh end of the second period and overall a better period for the Pens and double the shots that period as well than the Cryers. Pens did just give up a PP for the Cryers to start off the beginning of the period which will be a huge PK.
Lets go Pens! Still 1 to 1!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Well we killed off the first PP but at the last second GoGo scored the Pens another one so more Flyers PP coming up.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Woo Pens PP with 3:10 to go. Lets put the dagger in right now!

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 03:00 PM
GOOOAALLLLL!!!! With under 2:00 left in the game for the Pens second PP goal of the game again from a shot from the point from Gonchar to give the Pens a 2 to 1 Pens lead!
LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Not sure who is going to get the Pens goal here - it was Serg's laser and Cooke may have gotten the tip of his stick on it. That's my baby! :banana:

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
The goal was deflected off of Cooke into the net instead of Gonchar's goal.

HometownGal
01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
SHIT. Cryers going on the PP. Serg nailed with a hook that looks a little questionable. Ughhhhh. HOLD ON PENS!!!

HometownGal
01-24-2010, 03:03 PM
6 on 4 here. :hope: :hope: :hope:

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Ugh oh my. Cryers PP with 47 seconds left! Empty net 6 on 4 lets go quins!

HometownGal
01-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Pens hold on for the 2-1 win! :applaudit: :hatsoff:

Is there any doubt remaining that the Pens absolutely NEED to get Sergei signed to a new contract???? :doh:

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
YESSSS! Pens win, what a heck of a game and 2 PP goals is huge! Serg player of the game as well as Johnson! PENS WIN!

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Good Night Philly.

X-Terminator
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Pens get a rare win in an afternoon tilt, but man, the officiating today was absolutely BRUTAL. One of the worst I've seen this season. Hartnell gets a penalty when it was clear as day that Orpik pushed him into Johnson, the phantom slash on Sid, the disallowed goal, Richards getting called for high-sticking when he had his stick knocked out of his hands, Sid getting hit from behind into the boards and no call, Letang somehow getting an extra penalty for fighting Powe after his hit on GoGo...just awful. I think there may have been 2 or 3 legitimate minors all day. But regardless, I will certainly take the 2 points, the season sweep in Philthy and the season series win over the Great Pumpkins.

X-Terminator
01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Looks like Matt Cooke was at it again:

"There was a scrum, I grabbed him. There were two guys on Harts and my glove got tangled in his mouth and he bit me, so I lost it.
It’s not bad, but he’s a gutless guy. I have no respect for him at all. I lined up against him and asked him to fight and he didn’t want to. If you go and bite someone … I just have no use for him.
He does his job well. He’s an agitator. He’s garbage to me and I have no respect for him at all.
You should have a little more honor than that. Usually if you bite somebody you stick up for yourself and you fight the guy. Not this guy, he’s chicken and I have no respect for him. He plays the game hard and I respect him for that, but he yaps, he’s a dirty player. At least a guy like (Sean) Avery fights. This guy is just chicken (bleep) and I hate him.
It would have been better if he dropped the gloves with me, but he’s got no stones."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Penguins-Flyers-game-ends-with-another-biting-ac?urn=nhl,215377&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What, Cooke bite someone in a scrum? Surely you jest! :coffee:

This is just another reason why I do not like Cooke and have never liked him. That was a total ass move, and to then not answer the bell when Asham challenges him makes him look even worse. He's no better then Ronald McHartnell as far as I'm concerned, and wouldn't complain at all if he went somewhere else next year.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Looks like Matt Cooke was at it again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Penguins-Flyers-game-ends-with-another-biting-ac?urn=nhl,215377&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What, Cooke bite someone in a scrum? Surely you jest! :coffee:

This is just another reason why I do not like Cooke and have never liked him. That was a total ass move, and to then not answer the bell when Asham challenges him makes him look even worse. He's no better then Ronald McHartnell as far as I'm concerned, and wouldn't complain at all if he went somewhere else next year.

I like Cooke on that third line he does contribute and score his 3rd line amount of goals in the season which is fine. You can't expect him to fight, sadly that is just not "him." He is the agitator who just goes out there hits a few people and talks smack; believe it or not it works and is something this team needs every game.

Agreed it is sad he does not fight ever and seems to just take costly penalties when it is not need, but I guess it's the chance the Pens took with him and they seem to want to stick with it.

X-Terminator
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I like Cooke on that third line he does contribute and score his 3rd line amount of goals in the season which is fine. You can't expect him to fight, sadly that is just not "him." He is the agitator who just goes out there hits a few people and talks smack; believe it or not it works and is something this team needs every game.

Agreed it is sad he does not fight ever and seems to just take costly penalties when it is not need, but I guess it's the chance the Pens took with him and they seem to want to stick with it.

I don't expect Cooke to fight all the time, but when he pulls shit like this, I damn well expect him to fight when he's challenged. If it was a one-time thing I could forgive it, but this guy has been doing this crap his entire career. At least guys like Ruutu, Avery and Darcy Tucker, as much as I can't stand the last two, will man up and back up their antics. Getting Cooke to take off his skirt and drop his gloves is like asking Tiger Woods to keep his hands off other women. It ain't going to happen very often. I respect that he hits and can chip in some goals, but he has no honor, and I can't respect that.

steelpride12
01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't expect Cooke to fight all the time, but when he pulls shit like this, I damn well expect him to fight when he's challenged. If it was a one-time thing I could forgive it, but this guy has been doing this crap his entire career. At least guys like Ruutu, Avery and Darcy Tucker, as much as I can't stand the last two, will man up and back up their antics. Getting Cooke to take off his skirt and drop his gloves is like asking Tiger Woods to keep his hands off other women. It ain't going to happen very often. I respect that he hits and can chip in some goals, but he has no honor, and I can't respect that.

I probably give him love and credit for his work because im a homer and he is a Pen so it's hard to hate, but i do agree. I was slightly embarrassed when the announcers where saying how we was backing down from the fight because he is such an agitator and you expect him to drop the gloves and back up his talk. Biggest negative of Cooke agreed, but it's because when he does fight, sorry to say he usually gets whooped.

HometownGal
01-25-2010, 06:15 AM

Agreed. I'm with you - I like Cookie and am happy he is wearing a Pens uniform. The guy plays hard every shift and hits everything that moves, has some decent offensive talent, plus plays the agitator very well (though not quite as good as Ruutu). I hope the Pens keep him around for a long time. :thumbsup: That being said, however, biting an opponent just isn't cool. :nono:

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Agreed. I'm with you - I like Cookie and am happy he is wearing a Pens uniform. The guy plays hard every shift and hits everything that moves, has some decent offensive talent, plus plays the agitator very well (though not quite as good as Ruutu). I hope the Pens keep him around for a long time. :thumbsup: That being said, however, biting an opponent just isn't cool. :nono:

Agreed. He is that grit and toughness this team needs and its a psychological battle every game with him and that's his job, to get into players heads and force penalties and what not. Of course he doesn't always make the right move and taking penalties is common with him, but it's worth it and the Pens are better with him around.

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Wooo Pens play again tonight at the big Madison Square G. against the Rangers who have been beat down pretty good their final two games, so look for this to be a good game and remember the home team always seems to win out in this series against these two.
King Henry is an excellent goaltender and gives our Pens struggles game in and game out.
Grr. It's on Versus tonight, so ill be looking for a good feed or radio works.
Go Pens!

X-Terminator
01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
And of course, because the Hockey Gods apparently hate the Pens, both Guerin and Goligoski will not play tonight. And if Talbot is unable to go, the Pens will have to call someone up from WBS to fill in for him, likely Luca Caputi. It also means that unfortunately Martin Skoula will have to step in and play in GoGo's spot. Just great. :banging: You know, this stopped being funny a long time ago.

At least Flower will be back, and he will probably have to stand on his head in order to give the Pens a chance to win.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2010, 01:29 PM
And of course, because the Hockey Gods apparently hate the Pens, both Guerin and Goligoski will not play tonight. And if Talbot is unable to go, the Pens will have to call someone up from WBS to fill in for him, likely Luca Caputi. It also means that unfortunately Martin Skoula will have to step in and play in GoGo's spot. Just great. :banging: You know, this stopped being funny a long time ago.

At least Flower will be back, and he will probably have to stand on his head in order to give the Pens a chance to win.

That sucks...though I do like Caputi a lot though, and Johnson has been a decent fill in for Kunitz. Skoula makes me a little nervous, but he's had his bright spots this season and Gogo has been a little shaky on D...so it's kind of a wash in my eyes.

Should be a good game tonight though and Fleury with fresh legs will help tonight a lot. Hopefully the rest of the team isn't too gassed tonight to bring it against the Rags.

X-Terminator
01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Chris Conner, and not Luca Caputi, has been recalled from WBS. That surprised me, until I read about his huge game Saturday:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forward Chris Conner from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Conner, 26, previously spent six games with the Penguins from Oct. 30 – Nov. 12. He recorded one assist and had seven shots on goal while averaging 9:06 minutes of ice time.

Conner (5-foot-8, 180 pounds) appeared in 24 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season and ranks fifth on the club with 22 points (7G-15A). He tied a WBS franchise record with five points (2G-3A) in Saturday’s 6-3 victory over the Syracuse Crunch.

Conner spent three-plus seasons with the Dallas Stars organization prior to signing with Pittsburgh over the summer. In 71 games with the Stars he recorded 21 points (7G-14A).

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514930

SteelCityMom
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Also, I keep meaning to post some of these when they are uploaded...but GhostWalker40 has been uploading the Inside Penguins Hockey shows (among many other cool Pens tidbit pieces). The latest one is Malkin and Talbot. For anyone who doesn't catch them on FSN, they are pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmgogp3c760 (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3jZ05LkXTQ (part 2)

Definitely scroll through some of his vids though, they are great. And subscribe if you're an avid Youtube user!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
It really is a shame the hockey gods are against the Pens this season. Very frustrated we cannot have a healthy game and when all is going well players go down without even knowing they do. Guerin and GoGo what's up with them all of a sudden? Kunitz still recovering from surgery, ehh it gets no harder!
Agreed at least Fluery will be back, but I hope he does not have too much rust because Johnson was a wall in front of the net, but time to bring our starter back and get his game back to peak performance.

X-Terminator
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
It really is a shame the hockey gods are against the Pens this season. Very frustrated we cannot have a healthy game and when all is going well players go down without even knowing they do. Guerin and GoGo what's up with them all of a sudden? Kunitz still recovering from surgery, ehh it gets no harder!
Agreed at least Fluery will be back, but I hope he does not have too much rust because Johnson was a wall in front of the net, but time to bring our starter back and get his game back to peak performance.

Guerin I'm not real sure about...could be his foot acting up again. GoGo was injured yesterday on that hit by Darroll Powe, but played the rest of the game. Hopefully both will be good to go on Thursday night.

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Also, I keep meaning to post some of these when they are uploaded...but GhostWalker40 has been uploading the Inside Penguins Hockey shows (among many other cool Pens tidbit pieces). The latest one is Malkin and Talbot. For anyone who doesn't catch them on FSN, they are pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmgogp3c760 (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3jZ05LkXTQ (part 2)

Definitely scroll through some of his vids though, they are great. And subscribe if you're an avid Youtube user!

Yes I love these, thank you so much! :hug: Please post all episode's I will be watching for sure!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Guerin I'm not real sure about...could be his foot acting up again. GoGo was injured yesterday on that hit by Darroll Powe, but played the rest of the game. Hopefully both will be good to go on Thursday night.

Ah alright thank you. Yes lets hope they can be healthy for the next game. Im not a real big Skoula fan, but he has filled the "back-up" roll just fine. That defense is already struggling enough and at least GoGo brings that offense mentality to the ice.

X-Terminator
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
BTW, as expected, Cooke has denied biting Asham and basically shifted all of the blame onto him. Sorry Matt, but I'm going to have to call :bs: on this one. With your reputation for being...a rat, since I can't say what I'm thinking...I'm certainly not going to take your side in this. I've watched Asham play for a long time, and I doubt he'd lose it like that if something didn't happen.

SteelCityMom
01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
And...Conner starts out wonderfully! Taking a Crosby pass and scoring his first NHL goal. Good for him and good for the team to take the lead early.

GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMom
01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Yes I love these, thank you so much! :hug: Please post all episode's I will be watching for sure!

I will surely post all the ones I can find...though I think I'll make a new thread for it so their easier to find and keep track of.

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Wooo Yay great to see Connor get his first goal in the NHL and a sweet pass from Sid. Pens lead 1 to 0 with a PP coming up!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
End of the first. Going by listening to the radio, stupid Versus, and sounded like a good tight checking first period. 1 to 0 Pens after a Conner goal from Sid and Letang and good discipline for no Ranger PP chances and 1 PP for the Pens and same story need to shoot the puck more and get Malkin into one timer range.
GO PENS!

SteelCityMom
01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
End of the first. Going by listening to the radio, stupid Versus, and sounded like a good tight checking first period. 1 to 0 Pens after a Conner goal from Sid and Letang and good discipline for no Ranger PP chances and 1 PP for the Pens and same story need to shoot the puck more and get Malkin into one timer range.
GO PENS!

Check your PM's for a good feed of the game (if you haven't yet).

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Godard out and questionable to return. More injuries sigh.

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Goal to the Rangers to make it 2 to 1 with 10 min. left with a PP coming up for the Pens!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 09:15 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Malkin on the PP one timer from Gonchar to tie the game at 2 to 2!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 09:17 PM
GOOOALLLL!!!! Connor gets his 2nd of the night with a juicy rebound after a Sid shot and I got to see both these goals on live play on NHL Network!!! 3 to 2 PENS LEAD!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Dupuis puts the game away with an empty netter to seal the deal 4 to 2 Pens win!
Great win for the Pens and a rare win at Madison Square Garden!
3 game winning streak for the Pens and rolling with injuries and all.

Fluery was great tonight what I heard on the radio. Pens were solid and got a PP goal again tonight, two games in a row with a PP goal and that's good news!

How about Conner get two goals tonight from nice passes and rebounds from Sid. He matches up with Sid great and hope to see him officially in a Pens jersey down the road!
Hope to get Guerin and GoGo back Thursday against the Sens WOOO PENS!

X-Terminator
01-25-2010, 09:49 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Dupuis puts the game away with an empty netter to seal the deal 4 to 2 Pens win!
Great win for the Pens and a rare win at Madison Square Garden!
3 game winning streak for the Pens and rolling with injuries and all.

Fluery was great tonight what I heard on the radio. Pens were solid and got a PP goal again tonight, two games in a row with a PP goal and that's good news!

How about Conner get two goals tonight from nice passes and rebounds from Sid. He matches up with Sid great and hope to see him officially in a Pens jersey down the road!
Hope to get Guerin and GoGo back Thursday against the Sens WOOO PENS!

They've actually won the last 2 at MSG and 7 straight games overall against the Rags.

Yes, Fleury looked good tonight, although the 2nd goal was all on him - he kicked it in his own net. He obviously wasn't feeling his broken finger too much, because his glove hand was off the hook tonight. His glove save on Dubinsky was a thing of beauty.

What can you say about Conner? The guy stepped right in and didn't look lost on Sid's line at all tonight. He's one of the few guys who has played with him who has the speed to keep up with Sid. Could be a one-game thing, could be the start of something good, but either way, his stay won't be a long one. Once everyone is healthy, he'll be back down in WBS, but I'd definitely consider keeping him around beyond this season if I'm Ray Shero.

Damn shame about Godard - there goes our tough guy. Luckily, the Pens have a backup enforcer in WBS ready to go in Wade Brookbank. Hopefully Ray has a phone into the WBS front office to make it happen. I don't want to see the Pens go even one game without an enforcer, especially not against the Sens with Chris Neil, Matt Carkner and Jarkko Ruutu running around out there.

Overall, another solid effort from start to finish for the Pens tonight. Got the first goal, great penalty-killing, showed moxie coming back after Anisimov gave the Rangers the lead, got another PPG (they're heating up on the PP, which spells bad, bad news for the rest of the league), and got the duke. They're now just 2 points behind the Devils for the top spot in the division, so everyone root for the Sens tomorrow night!

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
They've actually won the last 2 at MSG and 7 straight games overall against the Rags.

Yes, Fleury looked good tonight, although the 2nd goal was all on him - he kicked it in his own net. He obviously wasn't feeling his broken finger too much, because his glove hand was off the hook tonight. His glove save on Dubinsky was a thing of beauty.

What can you say about Conner? The guy stepped right in and didn't look lost on Sid's line at all tonight. He's one of the few guys who has played with him who has the speed to keep up with Sid. Could be a one-game thing, could be the start of something good, but either way, his stay won't be a long one. Once everyone is healthy, he'll be back down in WBS, but I'd definitely consider keeping him around beyond this season if I'm Ray Shero.

Damn shame about Godard - there goes our tough guy. Luckily, the Pens have a backup enforcer in WBS ready to go in Wade Brookbank. Hopefully Ray has a phone into the WBS front office to make it happen. I don't want to see the Pens go even one game without an enforcer, especially not against the Sens with Chris Neil, Matt Carkner and Jarkko Ruutu running around out there.

Overall, another solid effort from start to finish for the Pens tonight. Got the first goal, great penalty-killing, showed moxie coming back after Anisimov gave the Rangers the lead, got another PPG (they're heating up on the PP, which spells bad, bad news for the rest of the league), and got the duke. They're now just 2 points behind the Devils for the top spot in the division, so everyone root for the Sens tomorrow night!

Oh believe me with all the call ups this season Shero for sure has the WBS front office phone number on speed dial and is ready to pull up Brookbank who we will need for sure against the gritty Sens.

I hope Godard's is not too serious. Looks like maybe a tear or sprain in the knee as he just went down pretty quick in pretty bad pain ehhh just doesn't seem fair, but the hockey god's just have not been nice, but our Pens always find ways to pull out the wins.

2 points from the Devils who knock on wood just have not looked themselves the last week or so and have a player on IR i can't remember who, but its time to take advantage of this and tie with them and take over this division late!

X-Terminator
01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
BTW, this was the Pens' 18th win on the road, which is the most in the NHL. They have more wins and points on the road than at home, believe it or not. It's nice to get all these road wins, but they have to start taking advantage of home ice more often.

steelpride12
01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
BTW, this was the Pens' 18th win on the road, which is the most in the NHL. They have more wins and points on the road than at home, believe it or not. It's nice to get all these road wins, but they have to start taking advantage of home ice more often.

Agreed. Good stat I didn't notice that one at all and I study the Pens more than my college books!:doh:
Yes time to take advantage of the hometown crowd and get wins at home where it matters for sure and we will need balanced wins at home and away in the playoffs for sure!

Shea
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Great to get another win tonight. :banana:

Only one game on the schedule in the next five days, which irritates me because I could go for a game every night, although I realize that's not possible. It will be nice to have some extra time though to hopefully heal up some bodies.

Including this guy:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/billyg.jpg

Is it just me or do they need to axe the mustache boy thing? It's starting to creep me out. :sofunny:

HometownGal
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM

They need us there as good luck charms. :chuckle: It seems that the Pens have won more games than lost when we've been there. :thumbsup:

I, too, hope Godard's injury isn't serious. We need him out there on that ice to swat the flies away. Anyone have an update?

X-Terminator
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
They need us there as good luck charms. :chuckle: It seems that the Pens have won more games than lost when we've been there. :thumbsup:

I, too, hope Godard's injury isn't serious. We need him out there on that ice to swat the flies away. Anyone have an update?

They are 9-1-1 when one or both of us have been there. So yeah, maybe going more often might help. :chuckle: Hopefully Thursday night brings us another win! :thumbsup:

So far, no word on Godard's injury. They did send Conner and Nick Johnson back to WBS, so either it's not serious or both Billy and Max will be ready to go on Thursday.

HometownGal
01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Thursday night brings us another win! :thumbsup:

I'll be sporting my Ruutu jersey. Haven't worn it since he left the team. I really miss him a lot.

So far, no word on Godard's injury. They did send Conner and Nick Johnson back to WBS, so either it's not serious or both Billy and Max will be ready to go on Thursday.

I hope it's not serious - you know how much I adore him!

Hopefully, Billy G and Superstar will be in the lineup on Thursday night. :hope:

steelpride12
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Well If Godard's injury is as I expect than Im will to bet they will state it a "lower body injury" and his extent will be up to the doctors, we need him back soon!

zulater
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Fleury really looked good last night. I can't wait to play the Caps again with Flower on his game. :thumbsup:

Shea
01-27-2010, 12:00 AM
They are 9-1-1 when one or both of us have been there. So yeah, maybe going more often might help. :chuckle: Hopefully Thursday night brings us another win! :thumbsup:

Wow, you guys are our lucky charms. That's a great record.

If things start tanking on the road, then I'll have to demand that you two pack your bags and hit the road with the team. I'm serious ...... :scratchchin:

This coming from someone who lives in Flyers territory. Man I love my Pen's license plate in the window of my car after a good win like Sunday.

:thumbsup: :sofunny:

I'm thinking you get a finger or two for that, right? :chuckle:
Way to represent our Pens! :tt03:

Shea
01-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Some snipits from an article on Duper's injury:

The big surprise isn't that Penguins winger Pascal Dupuis played Sunday against the Philadelphia Flyers with 37 stitches above his right eye from a gash so deep that doctors could put a finger in and touch his skull. The surprise was that Dupuis didn't play against the Washington Capitals Thursday night after ramming face-first into the boards two nights earlier, leaving him momentarily unconscious and his blood turning the Mellon Arena ice a hideous red.

He was checked from behind into the boards Tuesday night by New York Islanders defenseman Andy Sutton. "The first thing I remember was the ref saying, 'Stay down. It's pretty bad. The trainer and doctor are coming,' " he said. "I knew it was bad. My helmet was a bucketful of blood."

Dupuis knows he was lucky. He could have lost his eye. He could have lost his life the way his neck snapped back from the force of his face hitting the boards. The 37 stitches almost seem like nothing.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10025/1030894-87.stm

Honest to God, I don't know how their families and especially their wives can handle being married to a hockey player, but then again love is stronger than anything on this earth.

I'd be a nervous wreck in their situation though. There's a lot of perks that come with being a professional athlete but it isn't all sunshine with purty rainbows.

steelpride12
01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Ive been lucky to have many close friends with season tickets and so does my dad so when they don't go to any games I get them for face value which is much cheaper than any website listings.
Plus im on the season ticket waiting list 4 seasons running and get first dibs in the beginning of the season.

Saving up already for tickets to the first game at the Consol Arena. Season ticket waiting list members get first dibs and I would never pass up that opportunity and can't wait!

Shea
01-27-2010, 01:32 AM
I so envy you guys that get to go to the games. I've never seen the team play live - hell I've never been to a hockey game - and I'm seriously contemplating going to the next match-up in San Jose (since that is the closest hockey venue to where I live) to see them play. It's quite a drive though.

Speaking of those on the board that do go to the games, anyone here want to admit this is you:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/lol.jpg

XT, 4x, steelpride, Killer (:sofunny:) is that you? :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-27-2010, 06:47 AM
How does one afford to go to so many games in this trying economy? I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous.. TAKE ME!! I have not seen any good tickets for under $130 a piece.. Sucks loving a team that is so great.. Go Pen's!!!

This coming from someone who lives in Flyers territory. Man I love my Pen's license plate in the window of my car after a good win like Sunday.

XT and I share a half season plan and the Pens offer a monthly payment plan. We put down a decent deposit in May, make payments for 8 months and have 4 months where there are no payments. :thumbsup: It's quite affordable! :drink:

OMG - poor Dupes. XT and I were at that game and it looked really bad. Thank God his injury wasn't worse! :horror:

Shea - I can guarantee you that pic isn't of XT, unless he got a body bleach ala Michael Jackson. :chuckle:

steelpride12
01-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Im only 18 and in college that is for sure not me!

Fire Haley
01-27-2010, 09:58 AM
That's a Flyers fan - for sure

X-Terminator
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Some news snippets:

Injuries are yet again a concern for the Penguins as they prepare for a game tonight against the Ottawa Senators at Mellon Arena.

Tyler Kennedy, Alex Goligoski and Eric Godard missed Wednesday's practice. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma has already ruled Goligoski out for the contest. He was injured in Philadelphia on Sunday and did not play Monday against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

Bylsma is calling Kennedy's status "day-to-day."

Bill Guerin also missed the Rangers game but returned to yesterday's practice. Neither Guerin nor Bylsma said if the veteran would play.

» There is some good news on the injury front. Left wing Max Talbot, injured in a game against the Islanders last week, took part in yesterday's workout. He has been dealing with a sore groin. Bylsma said Talbot will play tonight.

» The Penguins will make a special presentation before tonight's game. Army Sgt. Justin Lubash, a Munhall native who was a star hockey player at Serra Catholic, was recently wounded in Afghanistan. Along with suffering injuries to his arm, leg and head, Lubash's Sidney Crosby jersey and Penguins Stanley Cup banner were destroyed during a Dec. 29 attack on U.S. troops. The Penguins will present Lubash with a new banner, and Crosby will give him a new jersey following today's morning skate. Lubash, 23, and his wife, Heather, will be special guests of the team at tonight's game.

» Bylsma orchestrated a relatively light, 45-minute workout yesterday. As often is the case, Jordan Staal was the first player on the ice before practice and the last player off the ice following practice, spending almost two hours at work.

» Winger Chris Conner was recalled from AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Conner scored twice Monday in a win at New York. He was returned to the AHL on Tuesday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_664426.html?source=rss&feed=8

EDIT: More bad news on the injury front:

Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma announced that forward Eric Godard will miss the next 4-6 weeks with a groin injury.

"Eric Godard is 4-6 weeks with a groin injury," Bylsma said. "He is still be evaluated with where he is at with that. It will be long term."

Godard left the Penguins' 4-2 victory over the NY Rangers at Madison Square Garden Monday night in the first period and did not return. He has not practiced since suffering the injury.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515297&navid=DL|PIT|home

That leaves Rupp as the guy who will have to take over the enforcer duties, unless they recall Wade Brookbank from WBS. If Rupp has to do it...well, as much as I like him, he isn't anything close to the deterrent that Godard is and I fear teams will take full advantage of it by going after Geno and Sid. And the rumor is that he has a complete tear which would require surgery - if that's the case, then he will be done for the rest of the season.

Also, the Pens have recalled Nick Johnson per their Twitter page.

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Well injuries are something this team has dealed with literally all season long and im not concerned they can't fill the void and get the job done tonight. A hot Sens team coming into Pittsburgh tonight should be a great game and good to see Talbot back!
LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Conner and Johnson back in the line-up. Ashame Kennedy's out, it's a sin to mess with the third line, but Adams installed there tonight.

I thought all Pens home games were at 7:30PM?

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
GOOOAAALLLLLll!!!!! Evgeni Malkin points in 6th straight game with a sick wrister in the top corner of the net to give the Pens an early 1 to 0 lead WOOO He is onnnn fireee!

Congrats to Fedotenko's 300th Career point!

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Sens come back strong and getting shots on Fluery to tie the game at 1 a piece. Come on D start from our zone and get the puck north and south!

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Now a Sens PP coming up. Looks like the Pens fell asleep after that goal. 9 shots to 4 Sens advantage.

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Sens goal Kelly on the door step. Fluery couldn't control the rebound and an easy tap in. Sens lead 2 to 1. Pens sleeping.

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
End of the first period Sens leading 2 to 1. Pens scored first and after that fell asleep and the Sens have double the shots as the Pens and getting the puck to the net. Time to come out and shoot shoot shoot! GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 08:40 PM
End of the second period with the score the same. Same gameplay going on. Sens controlling the puck well and getting plenty of good quality shots.
Pens shot the puck more that period and looked much better. Time to cash in during the third and make this a game again,
GO PENS!

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Spezza makes it 3 to 1 Sens in the third and it looks like the Pens are going to turn the light off and stay sleeping. Not much productivity.
I believe, Lets Go Pens!

SteelCityMom
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't believe there was no major penalty against Neil for the blatant hit to the head on Eaton. Very glad Eaton's ok though...that was a nasty hit.

Other than that, Sens are playing good hockey right now and it's gonna be real tough to come back on them tonight.

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Why can't we win at home?!

steelpride12
01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
4 to 1. Well a injury beaten Pens team versus a hot 7 and 0 run Sens team who once again bury's the Pens as they continue to prove winning at him is going to be difficult all season long. Let's just get healthy and hope the break can come soon so we can be 100% in the final part of the season.

Shea
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Well that sucked.

I can't believe there was no major penalty against Neil for the blatant hit to the head on Eaton. Very glad Eaton's ok though...that was a nasty hit.

I agree. That could have been a very bad situation for Eaton. Thank God he popped right up and was even smiling about it on the bench.

X-Terminator
01-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Why can't we win at home?!

It's really simple - they don't make it tough on their opponents when they play here. Crosby said it best after the game - "we weren't hard enough to play against." That's pretty much been the story of the season at home and why they are just 5 games over .500. Not having Kunitz and Kennedy in the lineup along with having to put the steaming pile of suck that is Martin Skoula in the lineup does not help, but still...there's enough left that they can be somewhat aggressive and physical. Anyway, at some point they will get healthy and I'm sure Shero will make a move before the trade deadline, but until then, they need to start playing the game that has made them successful.

HometownGal
01-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I told XT midway through the 2nd last night that the Pens looked just plain flat. They weren't moving their legs and up until the last 10 minutes of the game, they weren't hitting very much, other than Orpik.

Oh well - can't cry over spilled milk. Hopefully, they'll bring their A+ game to the arena on Sunday against the Red Things. :hope:

Shea
01-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning and the game against the Wings. I've been itchin for some more hockey lately - seems like the Pens haven't played much in ages.

Will be fun to watch because of the last two SCFs. Plus, Detroit hasn't been playing it's best hockey lately. Hopefully, that will carry over and benefit us.

What are the chances this will be a preview to a third consecutive finals for Lord Stanley?

Wouldn't that be somethin'?? (I'm betting that would be a historical first in the NHL)

I'm also thinking Chicago might pass them by though. What a storyline it would make for another finals with us and Hossa?! :chuckle:

I know - I need to quit looking ahead .............. (can't help myself though :doh:)

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning and the game against the Wings. I've been itchin for some more hockey lately - seems like the Pens haven't played much in ages.

Will be fun to watch because of the last two SCFs. Plus, Detroit hasn't been playing it's best hockey lately. Hopefully, that will carry over and benefit us.

What are the chances this will be a preview to a third consecutive finals for Lord Stanley?

Wouldn't that be somethin'?? (I'm betting that would be a historical first in the NHL)

I'm also thinking Chicago might pass them by though. What a storyline it would make for another finals with us and Hossa?! :chuckle:

I know - I need to quit looking ahead .............. (can't help myself though :doh:)

Oh Shea are you talking to yourself or what!? :chuckle:

Tomorrow's game is going to be a blast and im excited for this rematch of the SCF's. Should be an excellent game even against a struggling Wing's team who should come in with a fight on their hands.

Yes I would love to play the Blackhawks in the finals. A team completly similar to the Pens of last season and beating Maryanne Hossa one more time would be priceless! :popcorn:

X-Terminator
01-31-2010, 10:06 AM

Yes, the same 2 teams have met in the SCF 3 straight years in the past - Detroit and Montreal did it in the 1950s.

The Wings may not have been playing their best hockey lately, but they've probably been hit harder with injuries than the Penguins have. They're starting to get healthy though - if Tomas Holmstrom plays today, that will leave Johan Franzen and Mark Stuart as the only big names out of the lineup.

All I want to see is a better effort from the team today and tomorrow, and start taking advantage of their "home-ice advantage." I don't care about anything else other than that right now.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Woo Lets Go Pens! Rematch of the SCF's should be a great ride!

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Pretty strong start for the Pens. The Crowd is really into today early and an early PP for the Pens!

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow that PP made me sick. Had 0 offensive opportunities. 0 shots. Players running into each other. Biggest trouble was entering the offensive zone. Just plain ugly.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow Letestu is looking beast early so far. I love the depth we have in our baby Pens team and looking forward to seeing some of them become a permanent part of this team in seasons to come.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
A second PP for the Pens coming up. 10 shots from the Pens and it's time to add plenty more!

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
0 for 2 on the PP, but the second one looking much better. Good shots on net and Jimmy Howard is just playing excellent right now. Not giving up many rebounds and seeing the puck well.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Detroit PP coming up. Pens have 5 blocked shots early and looking forward to plenty more on the PK.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
End of the first period and just so unlucky the Pens could not finish. 16 total shots for the Pens with 2 PP chances and Howard just has been lights out. The Pens will win this game if they keep up their hard work and great defensive play!

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Staal hurting. Can't be a game without injuries... and a Wings PP coming up.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
3rd straight PP coming up for the Wings. Need to be more disciplined. The last thing we want is to outplay this team, but give up the important first goal.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
GOOOALLL!!! Sid the Kid, bullet pass from GoGo to sid who gets a sick goal on Howard to make it 1 to 0 late in the second period!

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
End of the second period 29 to 11 shots with Pens advantage. Solid period from both teams, but his 34th of the year tied for second in the league Sid makes it 1 to 0 Pens for a very deserved goal. Now one more should put this contest away for good!
Lets Go Pens!

OneForTheToe
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
The pass from GoGo was awesome.

Malkin's English has improved a great deal.

I have been working so much lately that I have not been up to speed on things lately. What was Mike Milbury saying about Malkin being unhappy with the lines?:noidea: I haven't heard anything about that.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 02:21 PM
The pass from GoGo was awesome.

Malkins' English has improved a great deal.

I have been working so much lately that I have not been up to speed om things lately. What was Mike Milbury saying about Malkin being unhappy with the lines?:noidea: I haven't heard anything about that.

I did not hear anything about that. If it was during intermission, thats why because I never watch it.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Sighh terrible penalty an interference call on Cooke who tried getting out of the way. 4th straight Wings PP.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
TIe game 1 to 1 Brad Stuart with the goal. Pens have the men on the point too much room and no one blocking his lane.

OneForTheToe
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
What a game. Shootout goals by Sid and Geno.

What more could you ask for?

X-Terminator
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
The way the Pens dominated that game, it'd have been a damn shame if they lost. Beautiful goals by Sid and Geno in the shootout. Fleury - solid, though finally he didn't have to face a barrage of shots.

BTW, how about a hand for Jimmy Howard? He was simply outstanding today. If he doesn't play like he did, the Pens blow the Wings out of the building.

SteelCityMan786
01-31-2010, 03:35 PM
The way the Pens dominated that game, it'd have been a damn shame if they lost. Beautiful goals by Sid and Geno in the shootout. Fleury - solid, though finally he didn't have to face a barrage of shots.

BTW, how about a hand for Jimmy Howard? He was simply outstanding today. If he doesn't play like he did, the Pens blow the Wings out of the building.

Gotta to hand it to him. He played a helluva game.

steelpride12
01-31-2010, 05:53 PM

I agree I said that earlier that Howard made this an excellent back and forth game he had to have face over 40 shots including the OT.

Never the less great win for the Pens and good to see them get two points at home which is huge keeping up with NJ.
Fluery, what a solid game for he and it didn't seem his finger was a problem for him.

HometownGal
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
I am so damned proud of these guys! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: They brought it from start to finish and I agree with XT - had Howard not been so stellar in goal today, the Pens definitely would have trampled the Wings all over the ice.

:applaudit: Sid, Geno and MAF! :applaudit:

XT and I are going to the Pens/Sabes game tomorrow night and hopefully they'll bring the same intensity to the ice that they brought today. :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Pens shoulda won that game by 4 goals in regulation. They had lots of chances that just missed.

It was all Pens on the NBC intermission breaks - I bet Wings fans were pissed.- Geno is getting pretty good at that English thing.

He's the first Russian ever to win the Conn Smythe. "I make history"

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Woo another Versus BS game tonight at 7 against the Sabres. Always a great opponent and I look for the Pens to continue the rampage as they did against the Wings!
Lets Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 08:29 PM
GOOOALLLSS!! Well im using the radio with the stupid Versus and It's 3 to 3 tie game into the second period.
Goals from Letestu, Sid (on the PP, very important), and Finally Jordan Staal as great as he is been playing was well deserved! Great atmosphere there and going to be a great game down to the end!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
GOOOALLL!!! A mispass went straight to Sid as he flames it past Miller off a giveaway and a pretty easy score as I hear! Yes 3 to 1 to 4 to 3 Pens leading!

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
GOOOALLL!!! Yes Sid with a SICKKK shot from Sid I got to see it on the NHL network and a HAT TRICK!!! WOWZER 5 to 3 Pens lead and the hats on the ice is one amazing site. Sid is just on fire right now and he is getting amazing shots!
3rd hat trick of his season and tied for Marleau for the goal leaders!

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Yikes late PP goal for the Sabres to make it 5 to 4 with three minutes left. Come on Pens and the fans hold them and get this W!

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
OHH NOO! Another penalty against the Pens on Orpik with over 2 minutes left and look to watch the Sabres to pull Miller! COME ON PENS!

steelpride12
02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
YESSS! What a heck of a win for these Pens! Down 3 to 1 in the second period Sid the leader and captain of this team took control, gained his 3rd hat trick of the season and make this game 4 to 3Pens. The Pens just continued to attack and pile on the goals from Staal and Letestu putting in his two cents as well.

Pens now have 71 points, 1 point behind the Devils for the divison and I have a gut feeling the Pens are going to get hot in the right time.
Some concerns still...The Defense once again struggled tonight. The odd man rushes given up and no front net prescents gave the Sab easy goals and opportunities. Fluery Played excellent and made some key saves and It doesn't help when the D is not existing, but he has had better games and look to him to only improve while his finger heals.

Wow what a game though, I would love to see these two in the playoffs, it would be a long exciting series and come down to game 6 or 7 for sure.
2 points for our Pens and now a long break and we have the Habs on Saturday and the rematch on noon Sunday against Captain Caveman and the Caps.
GREAT WIN PENS!

Shea
02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Great win tonight and fun to watch ..... online. :rolleyes:

Sid's on fire, good to see Jordan get a goal finally with the way he's been playing it's long overdue, not to mention his usual stellar play on D. And fun to see Letestu get his first NHL goal, always love that. You know it's a huge moment in their lives to get that first one.

Thought it was ballsy for Buffalo to pull the goalie when they were on the PP but I guess why not go for it all at that point? Thankfully, it didn't work.

Long wait until another game - Saturday, plus the Olympics are right around the corner. Hope some station will carry all the hockey match-ups, perhaps NHL Network??

If not then I don't know if I'll survive the withdrawls. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Sid the Kid = amazing.
A hat trick in one period, awesome.

Shea
02-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Yep, Sid is doing really well this season.

He will easily surpass his career high for goals, hell I believe he might have already matched his season high already (I'm too lazy right now to look it up :chuckle:). I was hoping he would get a fourth goal tonight since the announcers kept pointing out that he's never had four within a single game.

I also found it interesting that a few games back the announcers pointed out that Geno and Sid had never, up to that point, had multiple goals each within a single game. That fascinated me.

I had assumed that had happened many, many times before.

Fire Haley
02-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Sid is Sid

He gets hot.

We need him AND Malkin to get hot in the payoffs!

Right?

Shea
02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Right.

Both of them hot and on their game and I don't see how we can be beat.

Galax Steeler
02-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Congrats to Crosby for his hat trick. The man is awesome.

HometownGal
02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
XT and I were at the game last night and it was great to feel the energy in the arena. :thumbsup:

What a game by Sid! :applaudit: I was excited for Letestu getting his first NHL goal! :hatsoff: Miller really looked shaken in that 2nd period - I really thought we were going to see Lalime in the 3rd.

Lots of Sabes fans in attendance - we had a couple of 'em 2 rows behind us who were yucking it up and having a grand old time until we took a 4-3 lead and then went up 5-3. I so enjoyed sticking it to 'em after the Pens 5th goal. :chuckle:

I, too, am going to have Pens withdrawal until Saturday's game against the Habs.

LETS GO PENS!

X-Terminator
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Yep, Sid is doing really well this season.

He will easily surpass his career high for goals, hell I believe he might have already matched his season high already (I'm too lazy right now to look it up :chuckle:). I was hoping he would get a fourth goal tonight since the announcers kept pointing out that he's never had four within a single game.

I also found it interesting that a few games back the announcers pointed out that Geno and Sid had never, up to that point, had multiple goals each within a single game. That fascinated me.

I had assumed that had happened many, many times before.

Sid's career high is 39 goals, set in his rookie season, so yeah, he's going to shatter that since he already has 37. He's on pace to score 54 goals, which will certainly put him in the running for the Rocket Richard trophy for the league's leading goal scorer and he would become the first Penguin in 13 years to score 50 goals in a season. He's currently tied with the Sharks' Patrick Marleau for the league lead, 2 ahead of Capt. Caveman, and if the season ended today, he would win the Richard since he has more points.

The Isles game 2 weeks ago was the first time Sid and Geno had multiple goals in a game, which shocked me too. I had figured they'd done it at least once, but then again, until this season, Geno had always been the better goal scorer.

XT and I were at the game last night and it was great to feel the energy in the arena. :thumbsup:

What a game by Sid! :applaudit: I was excited for Letestu getting his first NHL goal! :hatsoff: Miller really looked shaken in that 2nd period - I really thought we were going to see Lalime in the 3rd.

Lots of Sabes fans in attendance - we had a couple of 'em 2 rows behind us who were yucking it up and having a grand old time until we took a 4-3 lead and then went up 5-3. I so enjoyed sticking it to 'em after the Pens 5th goal. :chuckle:

I, too, am going to have Pens withdrawal until Saturday's game against the Habs.

LETS GO PENS!

Well, when the Sabres went up by 2, I didn't have a good feeling about the game and thought it was going to be a repeat of the Sens game, but fortunately Sid would have none of that. He put the team on his back and carried them to that win. Just an unbelievable performance from an unbelievable player.

As for those Sabres fans, all I can say is...

"Welcome to Buffalo. We finish 2nd better than anyone!" :sofunny: :tt02:

HometownGal
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
As for those Sabres fans, all I can say is...

"Welcome to Buffalo. We finish 2nd better than anyone!" :sofunny: :tt02:

As I told them last night - that game was the City of Champs vs. the City of Chumps.

0 Super Bowl trophies
0 Stanley Cups

They sure yack a lot for having nothing to show. :toofunny:

I cracked up when that one guy told 'em "welcome to a winning arena". :rofl:

zulater
02-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Right.

Both of them hot and on their game and I don't see how we can be beat.

You still need Flower to be on his best form too.

And Staal is much more than a role player these days too.

Shea
02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
You still need Flower to be on his best form too.

And Staal is much more than a role player these days too.

Yep, it takes more than the two-headed monster and will need contributions from the whole team to get far in the playoffs, but if Geno and Sid are firing on all cylinders and get super hot then it will more then make up for mistakes, and their consequences, in any given game and should put us in a good position - the W column.

Completely agree on Jordan. Not sure if something I said that you might have taken out of context regarding him, but he's a very good player on offense and hands down the best defensive center we have on the roster.

XT and HTG - you guys sound like it would be an absolute blast to go to a game with!

zulater
02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Yep, it takes more than the two-headed monster and will need contributions from the whole team to get far in the playoffs, but if Geno and Sid are firing on all cylinders and get super hot then it will more then make up for mistakes, and their consequences, in any given game and should put us in a good position - the W column.

Completely agree on Jordan. Not sure if something I said that you might have taken out of context regarding him, but he's a very good player on offense and hands down the best defensive center we have on the roster.

XT and HTG - you guys sound like it would be an absolute blast to go to a game with!

No, I had no real issue with what you said, i just wanted to add on to the conversation. :drink:

Anyway Staal is a guy I just love to watch play. He'll never be flashy, but he helps a team in so many ways I just wanted to throw him into the mix.

Also I think Fleury is right up there with Crosby and Malkin in overall importance for post season success. It's hard to win a Cup with anything less than top notch goalkeeping, no matter how well your skaters are playing.

Shea
02-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Completely agree with you on Jordan, Zu - love the guy and the way he plays and what he brings to the team. I cringe when he's the one headed to the sin bin (along with Gonch) due to the fact that he'll then be unavailable for the PK. He's definitely not a one dimensional player.

And you're right about goalkeeping as well, the playoffs won't be all about Sid and Geno - Fleury will definitely play a part. My point being though that with those two they can more than make up for a bad goal here and there, by easily scoring on any given shift to quickly make up for bad defense or goal-tending.

I'm again getting way ahead of myself though. Need to just concentrate on the season and where it is to date and worry about the playoffs when they are upon us.

steelpride12
02-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Yes Agree with both of you. Its great if when Playoff time comes around and Geno and Sid are hot, but the whole team needs to contribute as they did last season.
Jordan Staal and Max Talbot for example stepped up huge. If Max doesn't score the 2 goals in game 7 and Sid getting injured it could have been a whole new story.

The Third line is so reliable you almost exclude them because they are always clutch. I like the chances of Fluery being hot for playoff time. He is getting his time to contribute with the W's and heal up just fine. He has been in the PO's before and will be better prepared and with Sid, and Geno on fire and the third line as well this will be a deadly team heading down the stretch.

Only 1 point behind the Dev's as of yesterday they may have played today not sure? I believe this team is getting hot during the right time and if they can keep this up to finish the season they will be a team to reckon with.

HometownGal
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Yep, it takes more than the two-headed monster and will need contributions from the whole team to get far in the playoffs

Absolutely. This team has a plethora of talent and is very capable of repeating as champs this season, as long as they can stay healthy and everyone goes out there and plays their game. :thumbsup: Another player who is crucial to the Pens success down the stretch and into the playoffs is Sergei, as evidenced by their W-L record and inability to score on the PP without him.

Well - you may find yourself trying to find the nearest seat to crawl under when we get on a roll with our comments. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Absolutely. This team has a plethora of talent and is very capable of repeating as champs this season, as long as they can stay healthy and everyone goes out there and plays their game. :thumbsup: Another player who is crucial to the Pens success down the stretch and into the playoffs is Sergei, as evidenced by their W-L record and inability to score on the PP without him.

And to back up your last point:

8 — Games missed by Gonchar during which Penguins surrendered at least four goals (team record: 1-7-0)

2.46 — Average goals-allowed in 41 games played by Gonchar (team record: 28-12-1). The Penguins are a mid-level team without Gonchar (7-9, to be exact - XT). With him playing the past two seasons, their record is 45-16-5 and their power play operates at 20.1 percent. Without Gonchar, they are 35-33-5 and their power-play efficiency is 14 percent.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_665294.html?source=rss&feed=8

The numbers simply do not lie. It's all the more reason why they need to get him re-signed ASAP.

Well - you may find yourself trying to find the nearest seat to crawl under when we get on a roll with our comments. :chuckle:

It's like I always say...people just have no idea what they'd be in for if they hung out with us for a day, especially you with the quick-witted one-liners. :sofunny:

Shea
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM

It's like I always say...people just have no idea what they'd be in for if they hung out with us for a day, especially you with the quick-witted one-liners. :sofunny:

Nope, I'd have a blast. I enjoy you guys here and just know I would in "real life" as well.

Plus, I'm a pretty shy person so I love outgoing personalities - it helps to bring me out of my shell.

Who knows ..... maybe by the third period when I'd probably finally join in then the two of you would be the ones looking for seats to crawl under. :doh::chuckle:

Shea
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Sid made the cover for the next, SI.

Here's the link to the article if anyone is interested, it's pretty good.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1165560/1/index.htm

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4327216427_cb80f50bcb_o.jpg

Shea
02-04-2010, 12:34 AM
The Caps and Pens game is on SB Sunday.

I wonder what the schedule makers were thinking on this one.

They're missing out on a golden opportunity to promote the game with the two biggest stars going against each other, but who will care??

Everybody will be in SB mode and probably at the grocery store stocking up on munchies and beer for their parties when this game is being played.

Marketing for the NHL sucks.

No wonder that some obscure channel that most people probably can't find on their televisions or for us others who no longer have access to, has the rights to NHL games, including the playoffs. :shake01:

Who are these clowns behind promoting this game? :doh:

(I need to vent, and as SP pointed out recently, I'm probably just talking to myself :sofunny:)

Seriously though, if the proper marketing was put towards this game it would expose hockey to so many people who otherwise wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I get how the NFL is tops as far as sports go, but I honest to God don't see how baseball and basketball beat out hockey.

Something sucks here ....... :shake02:

pittsburghp8baller
02-04-2010, 03:06 AM

They're missing out on a golden opportunity to promote the game with the two biggest stars going against each other, but who will care??

Everybody will be in SB mode and probably at the grocery store stocking up on munchies and beer for their parties when this game is being played.

No wonder that some obscure channel that most people probably can't find on their televisions or for us others who no longer have access to, has the rights to NHL games, including the playoffs. :shake01:

(I need to vent, and as SP pointed out recently, I'm probably just talking to myself :sofunny:)

Seriously though, if the proper marketing was put towards this game it would expose hockey to so many people who otherwise wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I get how the NFL is tops as far as sports go, but I honest to God don't see how baseball and basketball beat out hockey.

AMEN!:tt02:

I live in VA and have been trying to get a hold of a couple of tickets but so far, no luck. Funny how all of a sudden now that the Caps are good all the 'Caps Fans' are no longer so willing to give away there tickets, use to have no problems getting tickets from people i know.

SteelMember
02-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Winger Kunitz champs at bit to return to action (http://postgazette.com/pg/10035/1033371-61.stm)
Thursday, February 04, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tony Granato has no formal medical training.

He has been examined and treated by plenty of doctors over the years, but rarely, if ever, is mistaken for one.

Doesn't matter.

Granato, one of the Penguins' assistant coaches, didn't have to study a chart or consult with a specialist to conclude that left winger Chris Kunitz is just about ready to return to the lineup.

Not when Granato has seen most of the vital signs while watching Kunitz skate with his teammates during the past week or so.

"He's got great jump in practice, is shooting the puck really well," Granato said. "You can see in his face that he's healthy again."

Kunitz, who had surgery Jan. 6 to repair a torn abdominal muscle, could be back in uniform as early as Saturday, when the Penguins visit Montreal at 2:08 p.m.

That's far from guaranteed at this point, however. For while Kunitz said he has gotten all the necessary clearances from his surgeon, William C. Meyers, there still are a few hurdles to get over: like not experiencing any problems in the wake of participating in Wednesday's workout at Mellon Arena, where Kunitz was reunited with his usual linemates, Sidney Crosby and Bill Guerin.

"If I feel good [today], I think it would be [possible to play against the Canadiens]," Kunitz said. "I've just got to wait until [today], see how I feel. Go to the gym and fatigue it a little more, and see how it responds."

He was quick to attach a couple of other asterisks, too -- most notably that playing in the game in Montreal, followed by one in Washington at 12:08 Sunday afternoon, might be a bit much.

"I don't know if with the back-to-back [games] and the short [turnaround] that [returning this weekend] is even possible," he said.

Even that somewhat murky assessment is more encouraging than the one facing forward Max Talbot, who has what is believed to be a groin injury and adjourned to the locker room just 15 minutes into Wednesday's workout.

"Obviously, not a good sign in terms of him progressing," coach Dan Bylsma said.

If the setback Wednesday was severe enough -- team officials offered no insight on that -- it's conceivable that Talbot will be told to shut down until after the Olympic break later this month. That would keep him off skates until a practice Feb. 24.

Ten days ago, general manager Ray Shero suggested the Penguins might do that with Kunitz, just to be safe. Kunitz, though, said he doesn't want to wait if there is no clear medical reason for it.

"If I'm healthy and ready to go, I might as well play," he said.

There is reason to believe that, once he overcomes conditioning and timing issues, Kunitz could be more effective than he was before having his surgery. He had six goals and 14 assists in 30 games before the operation, and had been bothered by his injury for most of the season.

An injury like his can affect a player's skating, shooting and ability to battle for loose pucks. All are key elements in Kunitz's game, and he suggested that he might have altered his style to compensate.

"Maybe [I was] ... doing different things that I don't normally do in my game," he said.

His teammates figured something was amiss, even if they didn't know what.

"You can tell when a guy is 100 percent and when he's not," Guerin said. "Especially with something like that, it's impossible to feel good, impossible to do what you're used to doing.

"[Kunitz] would never complain, never say anything, but you just know."

Even though Kunitz's problem was serious enough that it required surgery, he doesn't know exactly when or why it happened.

"I lot of guys think they feel a pop or something, but I never did," he said. "I just noticed gradually that it was tough to get out of bed, tough to get over the boards, things like that."

Things that, by Wednesday, largely had been reduced to bad memories. And while Kunitz is wary of predicting that he will be playing again by this weekend, no one seems to doubt that he will be back soon.

"He's smiling, and having fun out there," Granato said. "He knows he's getting close to returning."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES -- Bylsma said he likes what he has seen of Jordan Staal and Evgeni Malkin as linemates, but declined to predict how long they will remain together because "no one is going to write anything in stone right now." ... Defenseman Jay McKee, who missed the Penguins' 5-4 victory Monday against Buffalo with an undisclosed injury, practiced Wednesday. ... The Penguins will have today off.

X-Terminator
02-04-2010, 09:10 AM

Two words...

GARY BETTMAN.

The man doesn't have a freaking clue as to how to market the sport. Who the hell is going to care about this game outside of Pittsburgh and Washington, excluding their fans in other cities? Nobody, that's who. It's not like they didn't know when the Super Bowl was going to be played when they made up their schedule. It's just another in a long line of boneheaded moves by Der Kommissar II. The only man who has done more to ruin his sport is Bud "Steroid Boy" Selig.

steelpride12
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Winger Kunitz champs at bit to return to action (http://postgazette.com/pg/10035/1033371-61.stm)
Thursday, February 04, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tony Granato has no formal medical training.

He has been examined and treated by plenty of doctors over the years, but rarely, if ever, is mistaken for one.

Doesn't matter.

Granato, one of the Penguins' assistant coaches, didn't have to study a chart or consult with a specialist to conclude that left winger Chris Kunitz is just about ready to return to the lineup.

Not when Granato has seen most of the vital signs while watching Kunitz skate with his teammates during the past week or so.

"He's got great jump in practice, is shooting the puck really well," Granato said. "You can see in his face that he's healthy again."

Kunitz, who had surgery Jan. 6 to repair a torn abdominal muscle, could be back in uniform as early as Saturday, when the Penguins visit Montreal at 2:08 p.m.

That's far from guaranteed at this point, however. For while Kunitz said he has gotten all the necessary clearances from his surgeon, William C. Meyers, there still are a few hurdles to get over: like not experiencing any problems in the wake of participating in Wednesday's workout at Mellon Arena, where Kunitz was reunited with his usual linemates, Sidney Crosby and Bill Guerin.

"If I feel good [today], I think it would be [possible to play against the Canadiens]," Kunitz said. "I've just got to wait until [today], see how I feel. Go to the gym and fatigue it a little more, and see how it responds."

He was quick to attach a couple of other asterisks, too -- most notably that playing in the game in Montreal, followed by one in Washington at 12:08 Sunday afternoon, might be a bit much.

"I don't know if with the back-to-back [games] and the short [turnaround] that [returning this weekend] is even possible," he said.

Even that somewhat murky assessment is more encouraging than the one facing forward Max Talbot, who has what is believed to be a groin injury and adjourned to the locker room just 15 minutes into Wednesday's workout.

"Obviously, not a good sign in terms of him progressing," coach Dan Bylsma said.

If the setback Wednesday was severe enough -- team officials offered no insight on that -- it's conceivable that Talbot will be told to shut down until after the Olympic break later this month. That would keep him off skates until a practice Feb. 24.

Ten days ago, general manager Ray Shero suggested the Penguins might do that with Kunitz, just to be safe. Kunitz, though, said he doesn't want to wait if there is no clear medical reason for it.

"If I'm healthy and ready to go, I might as well play," he said.

There is reason to believe that, once he overcomes conditioning and timing issues, Kunitz could be more effective than he was before having his surgery. He had six goals and 14 assists in 30 games before the operation, and had been bothered by his injury for most of the season.

An injury like his can affect a player's skating, shooting and ability to battle for loose pucks. All are key elements in Kunitz's game, and he suggested that he might have altered his style to compensate.

"Maybe [I was] ... doing different things that I don't normally do in my game," he said.

His teammates figured something was amiss, even if they didn't know what.

"You can tell when a guy is 100 percent and when he's not," Guerin said. "Especially with something like that, it's impossible to feel good, impossible to do what you're used to doing.

"[Kunitz] would never complain, never say anything, but you just know."

Even though Kunitz's problem was serious enough that it required surgery, he doesn't know exactly when or why it happened.

"I lot of guys think they feel a pop or something, but I never did," he said. "I just noticed gradually that it was tough to get out of bed, tough to get over the boards, things like that."

Things that, by Wednesday, largely had been reduced to bad memories. And while Kunitz is wary of predicting that he will be playing again by this weekend, no one seems to doubt that he will be back soon.

"He's smiling, and having fun out there," Granato said. "He knows he's getting close to returning."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES -- Bylsma said he likes what he has seen of Jordan Staal and Evgeni Malkin as linemates, but declined to predict how long they will remain together because "no one is going to write anything in stone right now." ... Defenseman Jay McKee, who missed the Penguins' 5-4 victory Monday against Buffalo with an undisclosed injury, practiced Wednesday. ... The Penguins will have today off.

Great to hear Kunitz is moving along just fine with his post surgery, Im really surprised that he is going to be back so soon, most everyone was expecting AFTER the Olympic break, great news! :thumbsup:

But Talbot's new not so good. It didn't even seem he got injured that bad, but leaving 15 minutes into practice shows he is in some serious pain and is going to need time to rest(im not surprised we never have everyone healthy.):banging:

X-Terminator
02-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Bad news for us Pens fans - the Devils have traded for Ilya Kovalchuk:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515802

This will more than likely be enough for them to take the division title - even with the Pens being only a point behind, unless they go on a Capitals-like streak, I can't see them overtaking the Devils, which they'd have to do since they lose the tiebreaker. It certainly makes them a legitimate Cup contender, if they already weren't before.

EDIT: The rumored deal is D Johnny Oduya, RW Nicklas Bergfors, a 1st round pick and a prospect (believed to be one of Nick Palmieri, Mattias Tedenby or Patrice Cormier, who was recently suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs by the QMJHL).

SteelCityMom
02-04-2010, 08:16 PM

This will more than likely be enough for them to take the division title - even with the Pens being only a point behind, unless they go on a Capitals-like streak, I can't see them overtaking the Devils, which they'd have to do since they lose the tiebreaker. It certainly makes them a legitimate Cup contender, if they already weren't before.

EDIT: The rumored deal is D Johnny Oduya, RW Nicklas Bergfors, a 1st round pick and a prospect (believed to be one of Nick Palmieri, Mattias Tedenby or Patrice Cormier, who was recently suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs by the QMJHL).

That may be good for them this season, but I think it will hurt them in the long run. I honestly didn't think any team would shell out the kind of money and players Atlanta was asking for Kovalchuk. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember hearing that he was basically looking for a deal that would give him 20% of a teams salary cap. That's just ridiculous.

X-Terminator
02-04-2010, 08:27 PM
That may be good for them this season, but I think it will hurt them in the long run. I honestly didn't think any team would shell out the kind of money and players Atlanta was asking for Kovalchuk. I can't remember where I read it, but I remember hearing that he was basically looking for a deal that would give him 20% of a teams salary cap. That's just ridiculous.

He rejected 7 year, $70 million and 12 year, $101 million deals before the trade went down - the latter would have been the richest contract ever given to a pending UFA. So either he agrees to take a long-term deal that pays him a huge salary but lessens the cap hit, or he heads back home to Russia. No team is going to give him $11 million per season in guaranteed money, certainly not the Devils.

The deal, BTW, is official - it's Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a 1st to Atlanta for Kovalchuk and D Anssi Salmela, who was originally traded by the Devils to Atlanta. That is an awful lot to give up for a rental.

SteelerNation12
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I wanna get into hockey to watch, but I never see it on TV here in Ohio. Any channels that direct tv carries that won't cost extra that show them? Also what is a good team to watch? Bluejackets must be horrible if they arent on tv around here.

steelpride12
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Wow really?! Yes I feel this will help the Devils make a push this season, but all those players for a rental! This is not a good long term deal so they must be expecting to win it all this season and It would make my year if they got knocked out of the playoffs.

The Pens are getting hot at the right time and before Kovi the Devils were starting to struggle and the total opposite for the Pens. I hope we can keep getting wins, get healthy completely for the PA's and take over the division for good!

I wanna get into hockey to watch, but I never see it on TV here in Ohio. Any channels that direct tv carries that won't cost extra that show them? Also what is a good team to watch? Bluejackets must be horrible if they arent on tv around here.

You can always pay extra and purchase the FSN Pittsburgh channel which is where 95% of the Pens games are played on. Sometimes they play on Versus and NBC as well.

X-Terminator
02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Wow really?! Yes I feel this will help the Devils make a push this season, but all those players for a rental! This is not a good long term deal so they must be expecting to win it all this season and It would make my year if they got knocked out of the playoffs.

The Pens are getting hot at the right time and before Kovi the Devils were starting to struggle and the total opposite for the Pens. I hope we can keep getting wins, get healthy completely for the PA's and take over the division for good!

Well yeah, there's no question that they did this to boost their scoring. They haven't been scoring very many goals all season, but they've really gone dry the past few weeks. Kovy-Zajac-Parise will be a pretty damn good line. And really, with Brodeur playing like his usual other-worldly self, how many goals will they need to score?

Yeah, the Pens have won 7 of their last 9 games, but they still haven't won more than 2 games in row since mid-December. So if they want to keep up, I'd suggest Shero get off his ass and make a deal for another scorer. After Kovalchuk, though, there isn't much left. Ray Whitney might be the best available winger, but he's 38. How much does he have left? Alexei Ponikarovsky of the Leafs and Michael Ryder from the Bruins are available, but neither of those guys impress me at all, least of all Ryder. They also need a tough, physical defenseman, and the talent available is deeper than at wing. We'll see what happens, but right now, the Devils have definitely gotten stronger.

X-Terminator
02-04-2010, 10:49 PM
In other news, little Jack Rosensteel won the Why Hockey Rocks contest! Congrats, Jack!

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516309&navid=DL|PIT|home

Video, for those who haven't seen it:

V7EGPSgsGTY

steelpride12
02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Well yeah, there's no question that they did this to boost their scoring. They haven't been scoring very many goals all season, but they've really gone dry the past few weeks. Kovy-Zajac-Parise will be a pretty damn good line. And really, with Brodeur playing like his usual other-worldly self, how many goals will they need to score?

Yeah, the Pens have won 7 of their last 9 games, but they still haven't won more than 2 games in row since mid-December. So if they want to keep up, I'd suggest Shero get off his ass and make a deal for another scorer. After Kovalchuk, though, there isn't much left. Ray Whitney might be the best available winger, but he's 38. How much does he have left? Alexei Ponikarovsky of the Leafs and Michael Ryder from the Bruins are available, but neither of those guys impress me at all, least of all Ryder. They also need a tough, physical defenseman, and the talent available is deeper than at wing. We'll see what happens, but right now, the Devils have definitely gotten stronger.

Well I say we need insurance for this season in the scoring department. I like Whitney for that position. 16 goals, 25 assists, and 41 points is not all that bad and would be a huge boost to get some scoring in the playoffs for the Pens.

It stinks thats so many teams are getting hot at the right time making it extremely hard to keep up. The Caps made it 12 straight, the Sens made it 11 straight and even the Kings are moving right a long.

SteelCityMom
02-04-2010, 11:31 PM

I checked on TVGuide.com for DirectTV Eastern Listings and it says NHLTV is channel 215.

VS. shows some games and it is listed as channel 603.

NBC usually has a game of the week on Sunday at noon...this week being the Capitols and Pens.

FSN has a lot of hockey games and it's listed as channel 654 for DirectTV. There's a few other FSN channels on there, but you may want to check your own listings to see which ones you have. I've never had DirectTV, just Atlantic Broadband...so not sure how the listings work, or if any of them are extra to pay for.

Here's the link though. http://www.tvguide.com/listings/default.aspx

SteelerNation12
02-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I checked on TVGuide.com for DirectTV Eastern Listings and it says NHLTV is channel 215.

VS. shows some games and it is listed as channel 603.

NBC usually has a game of the week on Sunday at noon...this week being the Capitols and Pens.

FSN has a lot of hockey games and it's listed as channel 654 for DirectTV. There's a few other FSN channels on there, but you may want to check your own listings to see which ones you have. I've never had DirectTV, just Atlantic Broadband...so not sure how the listings work, or if any of them are extra to pay for.

Here's the link though. http://www.tvguide.com/listings/default.aspx
Thank for the help. Will have to check that out :tt03:

steelerdude15
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Directv doesn't get Versus anymore:mad:

Shea
02-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Directv doesn't get Versus anymore:mad:

Yep, pisses me off too. Especially with the playoffs not too far off and this not being resolved yet between Versus and Directv, and I'm getting nervous.

If I don't have access to the Pens games during the playoffs, I'm going to reach a whole nother level of pissytude. I even forked over an extra $165 on top of my monthly bill to Directv to get the hockey package. I should be able to get that channel!

SteelerNation12 - I believe everybody has access to a local FSN channel, and although yours might not exclusively feature the Pens you should still have access to many hockey games featuring your local team.

Won't be the Pens, but it's still hockey. You'd probably love it!

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Pens / Habs tied 1-1 in the first.

Pens seem to be going for the turnover record - they must have 20 in the first 10 minutes.

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Pens defense and PP look horrible - sleep-walking.

down 3-1

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 03:43 PM
wow - I actually saw Malkin move his feet that shift, there might be hope

Guerin with a lucky wrista - 3 shots this period now

3-2

X-Terminator
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm telling you, it's these afternoon games. The Pens just aren't good in them - the last 2 Sundays were anomalies. It's like they're still asleep whenever they take the ice. At least it's 3-2 though, and they still have a chance at another comeback.

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I gotta feeling the Habs are gonna blow it.

It would be bad to lose to their AHL smurf line-up.

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Nevermind.

When your 1st line is getting shown up by their 4th line of AHLers, it's not gonna work.

4-2

Fire Haley
02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Welp, they should be fresh tomorrow - their practice skate is over.

steelpride12
02-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Sighhh what a terrible game for this defense. Another stinkin breakaway given against this sad sad defense. I see one almost every game and there is no fore check or pressure like last season.

Well congrats to Sid for his 300th career assist! The Pens were not on their feet at all the whole game and against I blame the defense for this one and the hottest team in the league tomorrow!

X-Terminator
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Sighhh what a terrible game for this defense. Another stinkin breakaway given against this sad sad defense. I see one almost every game and there is no fore check or pressure like last season.

Well congrats to Sid for his 300th career assist! The Pens were not on their feet at all the whole game and against I blame the defense for this one and the hottest team in the league tomorrow!

No one played well today, but the defense definitely gets the goat of the day. They really have been terrible for most of the last 2 months. And if they can allow 5 goals to a Montreal squad that usually can only score on the PP, imagine how many they'll give up to the Caps?

I'm sorry to say this, but this is not a Stanley Cup-caliber team. Stanley Cup-caliber teams don't have such glaring weaknesses on the blue line or have to rely on 2 guys to provide most of the offense. They still have not won more than 2 games in a row since mid-December. And with this loss, not only are they in danger of falling 5 points behind the Devils, but if Ottawa wins tonight, they will take over 4th in the East.

This team needs a shake-up. Big time. Ray Shero had better be working the phones trying to get them a scoring winger and a tough, physical defenseman...or 2.

Shea
02-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I wonder if the boys made it to DC and if the game will be played as scheduled. I'm looking forward to this game so I hope all went well when they traveled.

Will be a fun day with Pens vs. Caps in the morning and then onto what my young niece calls the "family football day" where she gets excited about everyone coming over and talks about it by first stating: "But the Steelers aren't playing" and shakes her little head.

I love her. :tt02:

Seriously want to see this game tomorrow though. Even if the Caps have won their last 50 games .............. :shake02:

I'm sorry to say this, but this is not a Stanley Cup-caliber team. Stanley Cup-caliber teams don't have such glaring weaknesses on the blue line or have to rely on 2 guys to provide most of the offense.

It's just a temporary phase and come playoff time it won't be a factor.

Right? (:nervous:)

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Well im hoping that loss yesterday wakes this team up because this defense i practically the same as last season except for Scuds and he didn't make or break it! If they don't show up today the Caps will score 6+ before we know it.
Time to go out and make a statement today by beating this Caps team and keep our chances of actually keeping control of 4th place over the red hot Sens or deciding to slump late in the season. I feel like today is a big game for this team and everyone needs to wake up get out there move their skates and win these games against actual good teams!

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 10:37 AM
The team did make it to Washington, and the game is on. But I'm expecting more of the same from yesterday. The Pens just aren't good enough right now to beat good teams like the Caps. The only good news is that Chris Kunitz is expected to be back in the lineup today.

Fire Haley
02-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I say Pens were saving themselves yesterday for this game - although they could leave Gogo home and nobody would know the difference.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Wooo Good to Kunitz and this first line clicking early they had a great first shift! GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! This first line is on fire a miss stretch pass from the Caps and off for Sid and he gets a 5 hole goal, his 38th of the season and the Pens are awake early!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Wow what a sick PP from the Pens a great spin pass from Gonch to Malkin into the zone to a no see backhand pass to a wide open Sid for an easy put it to give him 2 today, 39 on the season and giving the Pens a strong 2 to 0 lead!
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
OHH Kunitz NOO! Runs right into Theodore purposely and gets a penalty for it. Why would you give the Caps any momentum right now!?

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
A second PP straight for the Caps and were going to be giving up a goal here very soon. Team is self destructing and letting their nerves strike first. The #1 PP is not the team to do this against and they were inches from scoring at first COME ON PENS!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
This game looks worst than the Flyers match up! Cave girl gets smacked real good by Adams( I smirked) and luckily Adams got no boarding and everything evens out 4 on 4 then Pens PP.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
End of the first period and I say we played our game the first 10 minutes! Got two goals from Sid, one on the PP which is key for the Pens, but after that the Caps took over while the Pens took penalties.
2 PP's for the #1 PP team I give our PK credit for holding them and keeping this a two goal lead. The Pens need to be more disciplined the rest of the game and keep having more jump!
GO PEN!

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Thats great, i havent been able to watch any games yet and im getting to today, gald the pens are off to a good start.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Bad start. Caps PP coming up. They will score on these. There #1 for a reason.