PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Called it yesterday. The defense gives up a breakaway and go figure to caveman and that's an easy goal. 2 to 1 now.

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Crap Ovechkin just scored 2-1, he broke the goal camera :doh:

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
This game is falling into the Caps hands right now. If we can't get goals from any other line than Sid's uhhh ohhh!

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Jordan Staal goal!!!!!

3-1 now

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:27 PM
GOOOALLL!!! Staal scoring 5 hole to make this 3 to 1 Pens, but a huge scrum afterwards with Backstrom and Kennedy, Cave girl and Letang. As long as their are no Pens injuries or extra penalties who cares two goal lead, HUGE!
GO PENS!

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 12:30 PM
STAAL AGAIN GOOOOOOALLL. 4-1 BABY

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Another turnover from the Caps to make it a two on one Malkin and Staal! Sweet pass to Staal for the easy put in! 4 to 1 Pens!
GO PENS!

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Another turnover from the Caps to make it a two on one Malkin and Staal! Sweet pass to Staal for the easy put in! 4 to 1 Pens!
GO PENS!

This is awesome i should watch games more often.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
This is awesome i should watch games more often.

Well your watching a good one. These two teams bring it to each other every single game. This is very typical, love it! :drink:

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
4 to 2 now Fehr a simple backhand to the net and a terrible job by Fluery to stop the rebound and an easy put it.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Sid injured to bench and Gonch got a high stick in the face. Grrr I hate this dirty play!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Now the Caps are getting out of control going after Sid now and taking another penalty to give the Pens a 5 on 3. I don't mind that, but they are knocking the Pens around the ice.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
End of the second period and this is just crazy stuff! Pens still up by two its 4 to 2. Sid is getting beat around and the calls are coming. A 5 on 3 for the Pens in the third coming up, but out players are getting killed out there. Ill take the lead, but we can't have any more injuries I miss Godard!

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM
The fact that the Caps are trying to play physical against the Pens is taking them out of their element. They've already lost Knuble for 17 minutes and Backstrom for 10 on a misconduct. The Caps are not a really physical team, while the Pens even without Godard can play physical with just about any team in the league. If they continue to try to play chippy, it's an advantage for the Pens.

Still though, this 2-man advantage is absolutely critical. If they score, they'll be in good shape. But even so, I never count the Caps out. That team can score and score in bunches, and they are never out of any game.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 12:58 PM
The fact that the Caps are trying to play physical against the Pens is taking them out of their element. They've already lost Knuble for 17 minutes and Backstrom for 10 on a misconduct. The Caps are not a really physical team, while the Pens even without Godard can play physical with just about any team in the league. If they continue to try to play chippy, it's an advantage for the Pens.

Still though, this 2-man advantage is absolutely critical. If they score, they'll be in good shape. But even so, I never count the Caps out. That team can score and score in bunches, and they are never out of any game.

Yes Ive noticed this physical play is not helping the Caps out at all because the Pens always come out with the PP. It's just annoying to hear the fans boo a players who scored two goals against them and rocks them all the time.

Yes we must score here because an offense like the Caps can score goals very quickly and two is not a big lead to come back from in the NHL. Time to finish them off. Leave here hopefully with no injuries and show the NHL were still the Champs!:drink:

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Yupp here we go. Caps owning this period so far. We didn't put it away and captain cave man makes it 4 to 3 with wayyy to much time left.

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I go out to clean of my car that is buried under snow and the caps are on a comeback....ugh.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Hat trick Ovi on the faceoff. 4 to 4 tie game. Im don't have a good feeling anymore.

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Uh oh, i agree steelpride12 it doesnt look good now.

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
what the hell ovie scumbag.

the Pens are pulling a steelers lmao

pittsburghp8baller
02-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Looks like things are starting to swing back our way, we just need to get something going on the PP!

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:34 PM
4 minutes left and a Pens PP. Lets end this NOW!

pittsburghp8baller
02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
nothing going there, hope that didnt just swing the MO back the other way

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:42 PM
OT coming. Here we go. Pens had that momentum late. GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
so all but one NBC game this year has gone to OT (unless the Pens/Flyers game did and im just forgetting?)

Let's GO PENS!!!

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
lets go pens crush ovies ugly face into the glass window.

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Ugh PP coming for washington

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
PP coming for the Caps. Blew the game Orpik

Nadroj 20
02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Wow

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
fleurys was garbage tonight after the 1st intermission

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Mother *$(#@er! This is just unbelievable! 4 straight goals for the win for the Caps. Go figure 3 from Captain Caveman. Orpik with a high stick in OT WHYYY!? Terrible way to go out. IF ONLY TOP LINERS CAN SCORE HOW CAN WE WIN GAMES!? Kennedy, Dupis, Malkin, Gonch, GoGo where did you go!? This is just not acceptable. Not going to be a fun drive home.
Come on Pens.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
fleurys was garbage tonight after the 1st intermission

What's up with coming to the Pens tidbits randomly and just talking trash on the Pens?

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
why didnt we trade for kovaluchukksadhghasfdsad we should of sent dupis packing.

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
What's up with coming to the Pens tidbits randomly and just talking trash on the Pens?

can i not say fleury was bad today? i know they touched down at 2:30am but comeon givng up a 3 goal defecit is bad..

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Pens had a 4-1 lead and blew it. Fleury looked terrible on Fehr's goal and got fooled twice on Ovechkin's goals in the 3rd. And Orpik taking that penalty in OT was stupid beyond description. Not being able to score on that 2-man advantage came back to haunt them big time. This one is a bitter pill to swallow - good teams put games like this away, and right now, like I said last night, the Pens just aren't good enough. Now there's nothing standing in the way of the Caps at least tying the Pens' record streak.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Pens had a 4-1 lead and blew it. Fleury looked terrible on Fehr's goal and got fooled twice on Ovechkin's goals in the 3rd. And Orpik taking that penalty in OT was stupid beyond description. Not being able to score on that 2-man advantage came back to haunt them big time. This one is a bitter pill to swallow - good teams put games like this away, and right now, like I said last night, the Pens just aren't good enough. Now there's nothing standing in the way of the Caps at least tying the Pens' record streak.

Im just furious. I don't know. Caveman is just too good how else can I say that? The biggest thing that annoys me is we gave up 4 straight goals. That it way too many and leave to this defense to give that up. As well we need scoring from more than Sid and the top liner's. :banging:

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Oh well they might be winning the regular games but we win when it matters.

crosby>ovechkin

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Im just furious. I don't know. Caveman is just too good how else can I say that? The biggest thing that annoys me is we gave up 4 straight goals. That it way too many and leave to this defense to give that up. As well we need scoring from more than Sid and the top liner's. :banging:

Yeah, and 3 of them should be laid at the feet of MAF. I mean, you know Capt. Caveman is going to shoot every time he gets near the net...how the hell do you allow yourself to be fooled not once, but twice? And the Fehr goal was just brutal. The goal in OT was just a bad break. It freaking sucks, because the rest of the team played pretty well.

A deal needs to be made and made ASAP to shake this team up. They are good, but not good enough, and not Stanley Cup-caliber.

SteelCityMan786
02-07-2010, 02:18 PM
NO REASON FOR THIS LOSS TODAY. None.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2010, 02:48 PM
why didnt we trade for kovaluchukksadhghasfdsad we should of sent dupis packing.

LMFAO....yeah, cause Dupuis for Kovalchuk is an even trade. What a silly idea. We'd have to give up like Staal, Gonchar, farm hands and draft picks for a rental. No thanks. Tried that with Hossa and the Pens got burnt bad. Shero learned his lesson from that fiasco.

SteelCityMan786
02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
LMFAO....yeah, cause Dupuis for Kovalchuk is an even trade. What a silly idea. We'd have to give up like Staal, Gonchar, farm hands and draft picks for a rental. No thanks. Tried that with Hossa and the Pens got burnt bad. Shero learned his lesson from that fiasco.

No way Don Waddel would go for that trade either. Shero knows that trade wouldn't help the Salary Cap either. The Pens are too close to it now.

supa_fly_steeler
02-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Yea that true but Hossa was a fool. Kovalukasdasdhasfg isn't.

Was a stupid idea but i didn't mean just dupuis.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Honestly, nobody was calling Hossa a fool when he was with the Pens and tearing it up during the playoffs with Sid. He was also the Wings leading scorer last regular season, even though he did sort of go into a shell during the playoffs last year. He's a great player though and is doing quite well with the Hawks right now. Kovalchuk is a great player and a great scorer as well, I just think the rental deal will hurt the Devils more in the long run than it will help them. I'm glad Shero didn't make a move for him.

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 03:13 PM

I don't have a problem with Dupuis...my problem is that there's no way this guy should be one of your top 6 forwards. They'd have never traded for Kovalchuk anyway, so the whole thing is moot.

Still though, if the Pens want to keep up, they MUST make a deal, but preferably NOT for Ray Whitney. One 39 year old part-time scorer is plenty, thanks. I love Billy, but he's starting to show his age. There are rumors that they are looking to bring R.J. Umberger back home, but we'll see. I'd even see what the Kings want for Alex Frolov. Someone...ANYONE...who can play with Sid or Geno and put the puck in the net, as well as a defenseman with some balls.

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Honestly, nobody was calling Hossa a fool when he was with the Pens and tearing it up during the playoffs with Sid. He was also the Wings leading scorer last regular season, even though he did sort of go into a shell during the playoffs last year. He's a great player though and is doing quite well with the Hawks right now. Kovalchuk is a great player and a great scorer as well, I just think the rental deal will hurt the Devils more in the long run than it will help them. I'm glad Shero didn't make a move for him.

That deal won't hurt the Devils much at all. They have kids in their system ready to step right in for Oduya and Bergfors, and Cormier is far from a sure thing. The only wild card would be the first-rounder, but still, that is a crapshoot. Trust me, Lou Lamoriello would not make that trade if he thought it would hurt long-term. He's as conservative a GM as there is. I'm also glad Shero didn't trade for him, though. The Pens need all the early-round picks they can so that they can try to draft a legitimate scoring winger.

Fire Haley
02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
They had a 4-1 lead.

I miss Gill and Scuderi - they would never have let them back in it. Our defense sucks, period.

Oh well - it's a point.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't have a problem with Dupuis...my problem is that there's no way this guy should be one of your top 6 forwards. They'd have never traded for Kovalchuk anyway, so the whole thing is moot.

Still though, if the Pens want to keep up, they MUST make a deal, but preferably NOT for Ray Whitney. One 39 year old part-time scorer is plenty, thanks. I love Billy, but he's starting to show his age. There are rumors that they are looking to bring R.J. Umberger back home, but we'll see. I'd even see what the Kings want for Alex Frolov. Someone...ANYONE...who can play with Sid or Geno and put the puck in the net, as well as a defenseman with some balls.

Umberger was brought up on FSN Pittsburgh once. It doesn't seem like we would burn a hole in our wallet's for him and he is exactly what this team needs. Frolov, now that is something to think about. 13 goals 23 assists thats more than the Pens produce aside from Sid, Staal and our top line. Im interested to see what Shero has up his sleeve. He has been pretty solid with the deadline picks and im sure he won't disappoint this season either.

X-Terminator
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
They had a 4-1 lead.

I miss Gill and Scuderi - they would never have let them back in it. Our defense sucks, period.

Oh well - it's a point.

:jawdrop: I thought I'd never see those words come off your keyboard!

You're right though. Not having that shutdown pairing is killing the Pens right now. I thought Goligoski's puck movement and McKee's shot blocking would make up for it, but I was wrong. That's probably the main reason why the Pens will not go far in the playoffs, much less get to the Final again...unless Shero works some magic.

SteelCityMan786
02-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Hossa only consistantly was productive in the playoffs when he played for Pittsburgh. Everywhere else he was a vanishing act.

steelpride12
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
:jawdrop: I thought I'd never see those words come off your keyboard!

You're right though. Not having that shutdown pairing is killing the Pens right now. I thought Goligoski's puck movement and McKee's shot blocking would make up for it, but I was wrong. That's probably the main reason why the Pens will not go far in the playoffs, much less get to the Final again...unless Shero works some magic.

Yes. We all expected that GoGo would have a breakout season because before his injury he had 6 goals early in the season, but his defense is just not strong, and to add insult to injury he is not scoring either. Ive liked Mckee, blocking shots is a HUGE deal against any team, but Gill was a brick wall we surely miss and I hope Shero is working his magic right now.

Shea
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
This game was really fun ....... for awhile. :shake02:

Loved some of the nastiness between some of the Pens players and Dipshit (that's my current nickname for Ovechkin) and was bewildered by his frustration with Adams' hit. Maybe he should have asked Gonch whether that was something he had the right to complain about?

I really like the feature that NBC has with the ISO cams, although it gets tricky watching from the computer to the TV. It gives an interesting perspective though to new areas of the game that I don't ever get to see since I've never been to a live game.

It showed some serious chirping going on between the benches - some really good smack directed towards Dipshit. And although Sid is much smaller than him, he's definitely not intimidated. Sid holds his own. And damn if those boys don't love the F-word! Wowza ..... :chuckle:

I know ...... I'm immature - but I loved every second of it!

steelerdude15
02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm starting to hate losing to the Caps as much as I hate losing the the Ravens.

Shea
02-08-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm starting to hate losing to the Caps as much as I hate losing the the Ravens.

I get that. :drink:

Hell, it's up there to not only losing to a divisional rivalry but something I see as being even worse - a loss to the Patriots*. (I really hate that team)

It's painful, but I believe - even if this turns out to not be our year - that when all is said and done, and this era has made it's way into the hockey history books for little hockey boys and girls to discover, we will prevail.

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I get that. :drink:

Hell, it's up there to not only losing to a divisional rivalry but something I see as being even worse - a loss to the Patriots*. (I really hate that team)

It's painful, but I believe - even if this turns out to not be our year - that when all is said and done, and this era has made it's way into the hockey history books for little hockey boys and girls to discover, we will prevail.

Agreed. No one here is worried. They can't win it every season and the Pens the last two seasons have had slumps during their season and they won a Cup and made it to the finals so don't throw the towel yet.
This team is set for a decade or so with all this young talents we have signed to long terms and Shero has done an excellent job picking up players of need in the past! :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
02-08-2010, 09:20 AM
:jawdrop: I thought I'd never see those words come off your keyboard!.

Yeah, I know - it's a bitter pill to swallow. This years team is NOT the Stanley Cup winning club, I just tell myself that.

Our young D just gets itself out of position too much. I have no faith in our PK anymore.

steelerdude15
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Agreed. No one here is worried. They can't win it every season and the Pens the last two seasons have had slumps during their season and they won a Cup and made it to the finals so don't throw the towel yet.
This team is set for a decade or so with all this young talents we have signed to long terms and Shero has done an excellent job picking up players of need in the past!
I agree totally. I'll never throw in the towel on them and their an amazing team. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, and Gonchar, we're pretty set and of course everyone else. I can see this team winning at least two more Cups, just like I can see the Big Ben winning at least one more SB and him being MVP, I can just see it happening :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
02-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I agree totally. I'll never throw in the towel on them and their an amazing team. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, and Gonchar, we're pretty set and of course everyone else. I can see this team winning at least two more Cups, just like I can see the Big Ben winning at least one more SB and him being MVP, I can just see it happening :thumbsup:

No, the Craps, as much as it makes me want to vomit, are an amazing team. You don't win 14 straight games if you aren't. The Pens are a GOOD team, but not amazing by any stretch. Like I said, they have too many glaring weaknesses, the biggest being on defense, where they have just one guy who plays physical and tough and others are constantly out of position. The forwards turning the puck over so much doesn't help their defense either.

WH
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm going to drink some koolaid and post this.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/lessthancurt/regseason.jpg

X-Terminator
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Great picture...but what they did last season means nothing this season. :noidea:

The Pens need help if they want to repeat that picture this season...

WH
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Great picture...but what they did last season means nothing this season. :noidea:

Oh, I undestand. I just look at this picture when I see the same Capitals fans talking the same smack they talked last year.

I was irritated when Scuderi left. But I didn't think things would fall apart like this.

I wonder if the Devils are looking to let go of a defenseman.

X-Terminator
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh, I undestand. I just look at this picture when I see the same Capitals fans talking the same smack they talked last year.

I was irritated when Scuderi left. But I didn't think things would fall apart like this.

I wonder if the Devils are looking to let go of a defenseman.

I certainly didn't expect it to happen. In Scuderi's case I can understand him wanting a big contract and the Pens just couldn't afford it. But losing Hal Gill has turned out to be just as big a loss, and the Pens had every opportunity to re-sign him. Goligoski and Letang will both be fine offensive defensemen, but they need to learn how to play better defense, especially Goligoski.

Last rumor I heard, the Pens were looking at going after Tim Gleason from Carolina. I would not be opposed to that - Gleason is exactly what they need on the blue line.

zulater
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM

I don't neccessarily agree. I think the Pens skated circles around the Caps for the first 35 minutes yesterday, but then the schedule kicked in and they played the last 25 minutes with dead legs.

The Pens proved last year that they can win a game 7 in Washington if needed. When the games matter ( playoffs) I think we'll see that the Pens are still the better overall team.

But it still will be close.

Keep the faith. :tt:

zulater
02-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm going to drink some koolaid and post this.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/lessthancurt/regseason.jpg

:thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
No, the Craps, as much as it makes me want to vomit, are an amazing team. You don't win 14 straight games if you aren't. The Pens are a GOOD team, but not amazing by any stretch. Like I said, they have too many glaring weaknesses, the biggest being on defense, where they have just one guy who plays physical and tough and others are constantly out of position. The forwards turning the puck over so much doesn't help their defense either.

Oh sure they're a great team right now and the Pens are looking a bit mediocre at the moment...but it's nowhere near as bad as they looked last year before Bylsma came around.

Plus, being hot in the regular season means jack when playoffs roll around. Sharks learned that lesson last year and the Pens lead by Mario learned back in '93. Having to struggle a little gives a team more character when playoffs come around IMO.

supa_fly_steeler
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
ovechkin will never win a ring simples!

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Oh sure they're a great team right now and the Pens are looking a bit mediocre at the moment...but it's nowhere near as bad as they looked last year before Bylsma came around.

Plus, being hot in the regular season means jack when playoffs roll around. Sharks learned that lesson last year and the Pens lead by Mario learned back in '93. Having to struggle a little gives a team more character when playoffs come around IMO.

I agree the last two seasons had their rough times where they couldn't win two games in a row and it is no different this season. This is the time of the season where Shero will work his magic and pick up some great rental players or keepers to give the Pens a huge boost heading into the playoffs. The Pens are a hidden treasure in the Playoffs so watch out they will improve. :drink:

HometownGal
02-08-2010, 05:52 PM

While Backstrom, Semin and Knuble have had really good seasons thus far, the Craps had better hope that Captain Ug doesn't get hurt and have to miss an extended period of time, as without him, they're a little above average but not "amazing". Even if the Pens don't get far in the playoffs this season, I just don't see the Caps winning the Cup. As someone else mentioned - racking up wins and stats in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit if you choke in the playoffs as the Craps have a history of doing.

Just heard on KDKA that Teemu Salanne and Ethan Moreau are high on the Pens radar.

supa_fly_steeler
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
While Backstrom, Semin and Knuble have had really good seasons thus far, the Craps had better hope that Captain Ug doesn't get hurt and have to miss an extended period of time, as without him, they're a little above average but not "amazing". Even if the Pens don't get far in the playoffs this season, I just don't see the Caps winning the Cup. As someone else mentioned - racking up wins and stats in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit if you choke in the playoffs as the Craps have a history of doing.

Just heard on KDKA that Teemu Salanne and Ethan Moreau are high on the Pens radar.

language language! just joking.

agreed.
I don't think the Caps will ever be great, you cant rely one 1 person in the playoffs, when in the playoffs you have the play your best no error for mistake, yea it's got a 7 game series, but if u lose 1 game and u fall behind that's two games u gotta go out and win in about 4-6 nights, a hard thing to do in a fast paced game. emotions running high, when he had an off game in game 7 last year, look what happened, they were crushed by a better overall team, with 2 overall better players.

steelpride12
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I just feel the Pens success will come from two things:
1. Shero needs to have an excellent trading period as he has had the last few seasons
2.The Pens need to have external scoring. Sid, Staal and Gonch will not cut it. Adams 0 goals this season, Id loe to get Max back and get a few goals from the 4th line and Kennedy as well needs to step up. It's sad when one of the teams top scorers is Cooke who is on the third line and in no way known for goal scoring.

X-Terminator
02-08-2010, 06:43 PM

I dunno, they were still scoring a lot of goals in the 10 games Captain Ug (love that nick) missed this season. I don't think they'd hurt that much for scoring. Losing Backstrom might actually be a little more damaging to them than losing Captain Ug, because they do not have any other centers who are anything close to him when it comes to dishing out the puck. With Backstrom out, teams will just take away Ug and force Semin and the others to beat them. Look at how lost Ug was when Backstrom took that misconduct yesterday - he's that important to that team.

Selanne and Moreau...ugh. More old guys, and injury-prone ones to boot. Selanne has scored 17 goals in 33 games though. Still, can we bring in someone who isn't 38 or older for once?

zulater
02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I dunno, they were still scoring a lot of goals in the 10 games Captain Ug (love that nick) missed this season. I don't think they'd hurt that much for scoring. Losing Backstrom might actually be a little more damaging to them than losing Captain Ug, because they do not have any other centers who are anything close to him when it comes to dishing out the puck. With Backstrom out, teams will just take away Ug and force Semin and the others to beat them. Look at how lost Ug was when Backstrom took that misconduct yesterday - he's that important to that team.

Selanne and Moreau...ugh. More old guys, and injury-prone ones to boot. Selanne has scored 17 goals in 33 games though. Still, can we bring in someone who isn't 38 or older for once?

Trust in Shero X-T. The guys knows how, when and for who to pull the trigger.:applaudit:

Shea
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, the next three games, before the Olympics, are against teams that are not very good or playing their best hockey. That's a positive. Hopefully, it results in three wins.

Maybe the time off after will benefit the team and we'll come out strong afterwards like we did early in the season. Atleast, that's what I'm hoping for.

I'm not ready to at all give up on this team or this year, but am realistically acknowledging that two consecutive years to the SCFs and current issues might be to much of an obstacle to overcome.

Whatever happens from here on out, I'm proud as hell of this team and hanging onto the fact that anything can happen in the playoffs and that glory, hopefully, might find it's way one more time to touch our team.

If not though - so be it. I'm so proud of these guys and what they've accomplished.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/cup2.jpg

I'm going to be able to find comfort in that image for years to come.

HometownGal
02-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Well, the next three games, before the Olympics, are against teams that are not very good or playing their best hockey. That's a positive. Hopefully, it results in three wins.

Maybe the time off after will benefit the team and we'll come out strong afterwards like we did early in the season. Atleast, that's what I'm hoping for.

I'm not ready to at all give up on this team or this year, but am realistically acknowledging that two consecutive years to the SCFs and current issues might be to much of an obstacle to overcome.

Whatever happens from here on out, I'm proud as hell of this team and hanging onto the fact that anything can happen in the playoffs and that glory, hopefully, might find it's way one more time to touch our team.

If not though - so be it. I'm so proud of these guys and what they've accomplished.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/cup2.jpg

I'm going to be able to find comfort in that image for years to come.

:applaudit::thumbsup::hatsoff:

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/applause.gif

HometownGal
02-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Trust in Shero X-T. The guys knows how, when and for who to pull the trigger.:applaudit:

Bingo. :thumbsup: Except, of course, if he decided to trade my Serg which I doubt will happen. :horror: :wink:

supa - "shit" is a permissible word as it is considered "mild swearing". :flap:

zulater
02-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Bingo. :thumbsup: Except, of course, if he decided to trade my Serg which I doubt will happen. :horror: :wink:

supa - "shit" is a permissible word as it is considered "mild swearing". :flap:

No way he trades Serg. That's the sort of thing a rebuilding team might do, not one that thinks it can make a legitimate run at the Cup.

I can't wait to beat the Capitals in the playoffs again!

:thumbsup:

steelpride12
02-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Shero always finds way to surprise us, and in a good way I mean. He understands that yes the players needed for this team and the type of scorer's are the older ones, but with Guerin and Gonch with the older leadership im confident Shero will find some youngsters up his sleeve to bring in.

Im truly excited right now to see what he can bring to the table because IMO it's always the right choice to propel this team at the right time!

Shea
02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Penguins Bid for Next Year's All-Star Weekend

Tuesday, 02.09.2010 / 12:19 PM / Features By Sam Kasan

The Pittsburgh Penguins have submitted a bid to host the 2010-11 NHL All-Star Weekend for the inaugural season of the Consol Energy Center, the team announced Tuesday.

The new, state-of-the-art arena will open for the start of the 2010-11 NHL season.

Consol Energy Center already has been selected to host the first and second rounds of the 2012 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, and Robert Morris and VisitPittsburgh will submit a bid on Monday for the 2013 or 2014 NCAA Frozen Four.

“The new Consol Energy Center will give us the opportunity to bring many such events to Pittsburgh,” Penguins president David Morehouse said. “We think it can help make Pittsburgh a destination for big national and regional events.”

The Penguins have not hosted the NHL All-Star Weekend since 1990.

“We’re excited by the opportunity to bid for the 2010-11 NHL All-Star weekend and believe we have made a strong proposal to the NHL,” Morehouse said.

This sounds exciting and hopefully it will happen. Especially for you guys in Pittsburgh who might get tickets. Although, something tells me that they will probably be pretty pricey.

X-Terminator
02-09-2010, 11:01 PM
This sounds exciting and hopefully it will happen. Especially for you guys in Pittsburgh who might get tickets. Although, something tells me that they will probably be pretty pricey.

They were selling for $250-$2,000 U.S. in Montreal last season, so I'd suspect they'd be that much here in Pittsburgh. As STHs, though, HTG and I would get first crack at tickets for the game, and we likely won't have to pay anything close to that. At least, I'd hope not. Anyway, a Western Conference team will probably get it since it's been held in an Eastern Conference city the past 2 years (Atlanta, Montreal), but you never know. I'd love the opportunity to go, I know that!

Shea
02-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I've got a couple digits, looking just like this -------> :hope: that hopes that this will not only happen but that you and HTG will be able to go.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Ive been on the waiting list for over 3 seasons now and get special offers and pre sale tickets all the time including game one of the new arena. Think I would have a pre sale chance for the All Star Game?

X-Terminator
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Ive been on the waiting list for over 3 seasons now and get special offers and pre sale tickets all the time including game one of the new arena. Think I would have a pre sale chance for the All Star Game?

I think you would, but seats would probably be very limited since they'll want to hold some for the general public and for fans of other teams.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I think you would, but seats would probably be very limited since they'll want to hold some for the general public and for fans of other teams.

Yes that and I don't think I would get a lower price for tickets since im not an official STH yet unless I am by then possibly.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Woohoo Seems like forever since a Pens game and a game I would love to forget. Isle tonight in Pittsburgh. Game time is the same, but gates open at 6 so fans can get in before their buried in snow.

Looks like our only injuries are Talbot(day to Day) and Godard(3 to 5 weeks). Can't take this team likely they wanna stay in the playoff picture and Okposo is just an animal.

GO PENS!

WH
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I cannot wait to come home and go to a game at the new arena. But god knows when that will be.

I wear my Penguins jersey to the local team games here in Sweden. Seeing that Swedish people generally hate the Penguins, I get alot of weird looks. It doesn't matter though. I love my hometown team.

X-Terminator
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I cannot wait to come home and go to a game at the new arena. But god knows when that will be.

I wear my Penguins jersey to the local team games here in Sweden. Seeing that Swedish people generally hate the Penguins, I get alot of weird looks. It doesn't matter though. I love my hometown team.

Now gee, why do you suppose that is? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with defeating the Swedish National Team in Detroit and dispatching of their hero Daniel Alfredsson in 4 games 2 years ago...could it? Well, tough noogies! The picture in your avatar should be enough to shut them up.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Isle all over Pens right now. This is one of those teams that always gives the Pens a run for their money. 7 shots Isle 2 for the Pens.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Nice little scrap with Martin and Kennedy.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Orpik want's one tonight baby! 2 great opportunities. Why not it's been 110 games for him.

Fire Haley
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Pens getting some shots. Post.

Fire Haley
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
The posts have ruled the 1st.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
End of the first period tied up 0 to 0. Pretty even game 12 shots to 9 favoring the Isle who came out stronger in the beginning of the period, but the Pens began ringing off shots.
Let Go Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
5 on 3 for Isle coming up. I don't agree with the first penalty Orpik ran into the ref which made his stick hit the face of an Isle's player.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 07:48 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! After killing the 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 the Pens fly back with Malkin and a sweet back pass to Kunitz for a goal! Only his second game back! 1 to 0 Pens!

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! On the 4 on 4 a turnover and a cannon shot from Gonch and redirected in by Malkin and gives the Pens a 2 to 0 Lead late in the 2nd period!

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
End of the first period and some great goals coming from Malking and Kunitz to give the Pens a 2 to 0 lead heading into the third. Pretty physical game, but after killing that 5 on 3 the Pens took all the momentum and have no slowed down since. 21 shots for the Pens to 24 to the Isle.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Ouch Defense again blow a coverage leaves Neilson in front of the goal alone for the put in. 2 to 1 Pens lead now with 10:22 to go.

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 08:53 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Streit gets caught in the Pens zone and Kunitz gets a sick breakaway pass for the easy put goal to give the Pens a 3 to 1 lead and his second of the night!

steelpride12
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Pens Win! 3 to 1 over the Isle and a great game. Great to see Kunitz get two goals in only his second game back from injury! Malkin watch out slowly creeping up the scoring leads chart I think around 64 points.

Fluery played outstanding tonight thanks to the goal posts as well. The only goal he gave up was on the defense again leaving the player wide open in front of MAF. Good to see the Pens get two points tonight and at home.

0 PP chances, but great job on the PK and lets hope they can win out their last two games and getting much close to NJ who lost in OT tonight.
Good Game Pens!

Fire Haley
02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Kunitz gets his 7th and 8th goals of the year.

Bout time he gets healthy - we need about a dozen more.

X-Terminator
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
It's amazing how different the Pens look with Kunitz in the lineup. Their forecheck was stronger and they were much more physical. Everyone was taking the body tonight. Overall, it was a solid effort against a team that just doesn't quit. You have to respect a team that works as hard as they do.

BTW, the Craps lost to Montreal tonight, so their streak is over. The Pens' record streak lives on.

JHSilverback
02-10-2010, 10:11 PM
It's amazing how different the Pens look with Kunitz in the lineup. Their forecheck was stronger and they were much more physical. Everyone was taking the body tonight. Overall, it was a solid effort against a team that just doesn't quit. You have to respect a team that works as hard as they do.

BTW, the Craps lost to Montreal tonight, so their streak is over. The Pens' record streak lives on.

Thank God..living near MD means not only do I catch crap from Ravens fans but I also get the damn Caps fans on my case

WH
02-11-2010, 01:46 AM
XT, Don't forget about Henrik Lundqvist getting sent home couresy of the flightless birds as well.

HometownGal
02-11-2010, 07:33 AM

I love having Kunitz back in the lineup! :thumbsup: I was happy to see him get those 2 goals, but he is definitely a physical presence on the ice - one we've sorely missed. I hope the Pens continue to play the physical style of hockey they displayed tonight. :hope:

zulater
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Let's not forget the Pens winning streak was accomplished before the era of the shootout. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
XT, Don't forget about Henrik Lundqvist getting sent home couresy of the flightless birds as well.

That's right, forgot about that one. They've been kicking his ass for the better part of 2 seasons to boot.

I love having Kunitz back in the lineup! :thumbsup: I was happy to see him get those 2 goals, but he is definitely a physical presence on the ice - one we've sorely missed. I hope the Pens continue to play the physical style of hockey they displayed tonight. :hope:

I don't think fans really appreciated everything Kunitz brings to the table - all they focused on was his lack of scoring. But he plays balls to the wall every game, and his forechecking and hitting opens up some room for Sid and Billy. They've definitely missed that element over the past 6 weeks.

Let's not forget the Pens winning streak was accomplished before the era of the shootout. :thumbsup:

That's true, though the Caps won just one game in a shootout during that streak, and that was the first one.

steelpride12
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes Agreed XT the fans never really appreciate him as much as he deserves and I hope after last night and the game before they are realizing what he means to the offense and physicality. Fans criticize him for not scoring goals, but he is so much more than that. The team struggle with being physical when he was gone and he returns and it shows right away! Now that he is scoring goals it makes a huge difference and the team will only improve as he stays healthy!

SteelCityMom
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't think fans really appreciated everything Kunitz brings to the table - all they focused on was his lack of scoring. But he plays balls to the wall every game, and his forechecking and hitting opens up some room for Sid and Billy. They've definitely missed that element over the past 6 weeks.

Exactly. My fiance and I had this discussion yesterday when I brought up the trade deadline and who might go, and he mentioned Kunitz because of his lack of scoring. I just looked at him like he was nuts (cause he is concerning this lol). There's no way that Shero gets rid of physical forwards like Kunitz or Adams or Rupp just because they don't score like Malkin or Crosby. There's so much more to their game. Now Tank might be a forward who gets traded for a better scoring winger...but never Kunitz.

steelpride12
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=517270&navid=DL|PIT|home

Pittsburgh Penguins
The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired defenseman Steve Wagner from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Nate Guenin, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Wagner, who will be reporting to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, spent the last three-plus seasons in the St. Louis organization after signing as a free agent in 2007. He has appeared in 46 career NHL games for the Blues, posting four goals and 12 points.

Wagner, 25, has played extensively in Peoria of the AHL – St. Louis’ top minor-league affiliate. In 130 games with the Rivermen, the Grand Rapids, Minnesota native has compiled 15 goals, 37 assists and 52 points.

Wagner (6-foot-1, 200 pounds) played three collegiate seasons at Minnesota State – Mankato from 2004-07. In 113 contests as a Maverick, he posted 12 goals and 55 points.

Wagner also played with Tri-City of the United States Hockey League for two seasons. He helped the Storm capture the Anderson Cup (league regular-season championship) and finish second in the Clark Cup (postseason championship) in 2004.

X-Terminator
02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Eh, minor league deal. Nothing to see here...

HometownGal
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Just got done listening to Pompeani's interview with Ray Shero and he said there is a 50/50 chance there will be a trade coming up but didn't specify who or whether he will wait until the March 3rd deadline. He DID say, however, that he really wants to keep the group together who won the Cup to give them a chance to win another and also stated that he isn't going to base any trades on those players in the last years of their contracts who they haven't signed as of yet (I assume he means Serg here). After the interview, Pompeani stated that he feels the Pens will work a deal with Gonchar and that, as we already knew, the issue is NOT money, but the length of the contract. Gawd - I'm praying they can come to a deal soon so my fingernails get a break. :chuckle: :hope:

steelpride12
02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes oh my losing Gonch. would wreck this club. He is everything and one of the only ones holding this defense together and is our QB on the PP. Im sure the deal will get worked out for sure because of the asset he is to this organization. Shero come on make a sick deal im ready to throw in a high scoring winger and get this team back to the finals!

X-Terminator
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Just got done listening to Pompeani's interview with Ray Shero and he said there is a 50/50 chance there will be a trade coming up but didn't specify who or whether he will wait until the March 3rd deadline. He DID say, however, that he really wants to keep the group together who won the Cup to give them a chance to win another and also stated that he isn't going to base any trades on those players in the last years of their contracts who they haven't signed as of yet (I assume he means Serg here). After the interview, Pompeani stated that he feels the Pens will work a deal with Gonchar and that, as we already knew, the issue is NOT money, but the length of the contract. Gawd - I'm praying they can come to a deal soon so my fingernails get a break. :chuckle: :hope:

Yep - the Pens are offering a 3-year deal, and Gonchar wants 4, and the reason the Pens only want 3 years is because of that 35+ rule. They don't want to take the risk of Gonchar before his contract is up at age 40, because if he does, they'd be on the hook for his entire cap hit, which could really hurt their ability to sign other players. They may also want to leave themselves an out in case his play significantly diminishes over the next 3 years. I can understand that, but at the same time, Gonchar is probably the one guy they can least afford to lose after the big 4 (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal). I don't think his play will significantly drop off, and I don't see him retiring before that contract ends unless it's due to injury. So Ray, give him the extra year, get the deal done and let's move on.

And if he decides not to make any major trades, he would obviously feel his team is good enough to win the Cup. If that turns out to be the case, then that will be good enough for me, putting aside any concerns I may have.

X-Terminator
02-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Damn Pens are killing me again...the Rangers are freaking short-handed, playing with 5 and then 4 defenseman, without their best player Gaborik...and the Pens basically let them control the play for over a period? What the hell, guys? That is what drives me absolutely FREAKING nuts about this team...they get up and play hard for the good teams and play like crap against mediocre and bad teams. If they lose this game, they should be embarrassed.

X-Terminator
02-12-2010, 09:06 PM
And there you have it. Can't beat a freaking team missing 2 of it's best players. Unreal. They have to be the most inconsistent "top" team in the league. And they STILL haven't won 3 straight games since before Christmas. Oh yeah, it's yet another loss at home.

Make a deal after the 28th, Ray.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I don't care. Losses like this just really piss me off.

pittsburghp8baller
02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
And there you have it. Can't beat a freaking team missing 2 of it's best players. Unreal. They have to be the most inconsistent "top" team in the league. And they STILL haven't won 3 straight games since before Christmas. Oh yeah, it's yet another loss at home.

Make a deal after the 28th, Ray.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I don't care. Losses like this just really piss me off.

I agree with you here, the way the game was unfolding there should of been no way we lose that game.

Another chance for us to keep pace with the devils (they won tonight), and we cant come through.

I dont see how we dont make a move at some point before the dealine, In Shero We Trust.

One more game and then gotta switch to USA Hockey mode.

X-Terminator
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I agree with you here, the way the game was unfolding there should of been no way we lose that game.

Another chance for us to keep pace with the devils (they won tonight), and we cant come through.

I dont see how we dont make a move at some point before the dealine, In Shero We Trust.

One more game and then gotta switch to USA Hockey mode.

All I know is I'm getting really fed up with watching this team not bring their best game every night, and constantly playing down to the level of inferior teams, especially at home. Do you see Washington, San Jose and Chicago doing that? No, no and no. They beat those teams the way good teams are supposed to. If I'm in that locker room, I'm pissed to high heaven for allowing an already inferior and then short-handed team beat them in their house. So they got one point - big deal. It should have been 2, plain and simple.

Take a look at these home records:

Devils 20-9-1
Caps 23-3-3
Hawks 22-6-2
Canucks 23-7-2
Sharks 19-5-7
Sens 23-8-3

Pens 18-10-2

That is completely unacceptable. Dan Bylsma even agrees. Even the freaking Coyotes have a better home record than the Pens (22-8-2), and they may be playing in Kansas City or Quebec City in a few years. Come on now! How in the world does that happen?

steelpride12
02-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Ugh X-T I agree. This is just not playoff caliber right now and they won't walk out still breathing after the first round if they can't win these games against a short handed OK team and can't win at home where you should play your best.

It doesn't help as I say every game that there is no scoring whatsoever other than Sid. If he was scoring like he did last season this team would be in the slumps and Im ready to say trade Fedotenko for a scoring winger because we have no secondary scoring at all and it's killing them.

pittsburghp8baller
02-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Ugh X-T I agree. This is just not playoff caliber right now and they won't walk out still breathing after the first round if they can't win these games against a short handed OK team and can't win at home where you should play your best.

It doesn't help as I say every game that there is no scoring whatsoever other than Sid. If he was scoring like he did last season this team would be in the slumps and Im ready to say trade Fedotenko for a scoring winger because we have no secondary scoring at all and it's killing them.

Secondary scoring is definately a problem, something we HAVE to address.

i doubt we get a scoring winger for a winger who isnt scoring.

Best player left would probably have to be Ray Whitney, what the price tag would be for him i dont know maybe just another conditional pick like we got for Billy G last year.

HometownGal
02-13-2010, 01:59 PM
One name sums up last night's loss to the Rags . . . . Henrik Lundqvist. That guy was an absolute beast in goal last night. The Pens should have had 3 goals in the first period alone. The Rags were playing somewhat out of desperation last night and their play, particularly in the 3rd and OT, reflected just that.

I guess I'm just different. Other than the playoffs where home ice is an enormous advantage, I don't particularly care where the Pens win - on the road, at home - wherever - as long as they keep racking up those W's. Home ice wins don't factor at all into playoff eligibility. The Devs have only won 1 more game at home than we have and they're leading the division. :noidea:

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I guess I'm just different. Other than the playoffs where home ice is an enormous advantage, I don't particularly care where the Pens win - on the road, at home - wherever - as long as they keep racking up those W's. Home ice wins don't factor at all into playoff eligibility. The Devs have only won 1 more game at home than we have and they're leading the division. :noidea:

Even a team that goes 16-12 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs wins the Cup. :thumbsup:

Shea
02-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Hopefully, the Olympic break will rejuvenate the team and give them much needed rest after two very long seasons and they'll come out playing better for it - not only at home (yes, the more urgent issue) but on the road. All wins is what I'm hoping for.

Plus the Devils lost tonight. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to Olympic hockey - should be intense. I just hope that I'll have a chance to watch the match-ups and teams that I want to see. USA, Canada and Russia especially.

Love the ice-skating, etc. but I'd much rather have access to the hockey coverage. I'm hoping that these games will be available to watch.

Just my luck and it will turn out that Versus will have the rights to the hockey coverage. :chuckle: :dang:

After the Olympics though, just 20 games left. How the hell has the season flown so fast?

Shea
02-13-2010, 11:54 PM
And since the Olympics have started and the men's game will start on the 16th here's something to get into the mood jersey wise:
Canada ....
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/sid-oly.jpg
Russia ....
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/gonch-oly.jpg

(Geno was available but I picked Gonch for HTG!)
USA ....
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/orpik-oly.jpg

Not to be a homer but I honestly think that the USA's jersey beats them all. It's simplistic and beautiful because of it.

I'm really amped for these games.

SteelCityMom
02-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Hopefully, the Olympic break will rejuvenate the team and give them much needed rest after two very long seasons and they'll come out playing better for it - not only at home (yes, the more urgent issue) but on the road. All wins is what I'm hoping for.

Plus the Devils lost tonight. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to Olympic hockey - should be intense. I just hope that I'll have a chance to watch the match-ups and teams that I want to see. USA, Canada and Russia especially.

Love the ice-skating, etc. but I'd much rather have access to the hockey coverage. I'm hoping that these games will be available to watch.

Just my luck and it will turn out that Versus will have the rights to the hockey coverage. :chuckle: :dang:

After the Olympics though, just 20 games left. How the hell has the season flown so fast?

All the games are available on MSNBC, CNBC, NBC or USA...you should be able to watch them all. They start Tuesday with USA vs. Switzerland and Canada vs. Norway...here's a link for the games schedule. You can find other events schedules day by day as well on here.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/zone=ET/day=5/sport=IH/index.html

X-Terminator
02-14-2010, 02:55 AM
One name sums up last night's loss to the Rags . . . . Henrik Lundqvist. That guy was an absolute beast in goal last night. The Pens should have had 3 goals in the first period alone. The Rags were playing somewhat out of desperation last night and their play, particularly in the 3rd and OT, reflected just that.

Let's put aside the 4 losses to the Devils - if they are able to manage just 2 more wins at home out of the 12 games they've lost, they would be leading the division right now. Yes, where they win doesn't matter so long as they do, but still...you HAVE to show an ability to win consistently at home. They have home losses this season to Carolina, Toronto, Minnesota (who was struggling big time when they played here) and an undermanned Rangers squad they should have mopped the ice with. Those are games you do not lose if you call yourself an elite team. When they come back from the break, they will have 3 of 4 at home, followed by 7 of 8 on the road. They need to take advantage of those home games to give them a little bit of momentum and confidence playing in front of the home crowd down the stretch and going into the playoffs, where every home game is critical.

WH
02-14-2010, 06:46 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/02/26/sports/26cnd-lund.450.jpg

Don't leave out the meatball eaters.

HometownGal
02-14-2010, 07:03 AM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/gonch-oly.jpg

:applaudit: :lust: :heart: :thumbsup:

Definitely made my day! :drink:

Sorry, XT - though I would love it if the Pens had a better home record, as I said - it doesn't matter to me where they win, as long as they win. They won a Stanley Cup last season winning on the road, if you will recall.

X-Terminator
02-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry, XT - though I would love it if the Pens had a better home record, as I said - it doesn't matter to me where they win, as long as they win. They won a Stanley Cup last season winning on the road, if you will recall.

Yeah, they won all 4 series on the road including 2 game 7s, but they were also 9-2 at home. They don't win at home, there's no chance they win the Cup.

I guess I just place more emphasis on winning your home games, especially home games against bad teams. That I think is what concerns me more than anything else. They have to make it tough for opposing teams to play against, but they've had too many lackluster efforts that have led to losses.

Anyway, that's the last I'm going to say on this subject for now...unless of course they lose again today :wink02:

steelpride12
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Busy day with the girlfriend is keeping me from most of this game, but got to see highlights of Sid's goal on the PP. Wow he is tied for the most in the league now with 42 and I wish it was a secondary goal instead of Sid, but a goal is a goal.

If we could have good news here for once I got a good comment. How about that Pens PP the last few weeks. Seems they score one at least once a game and it's heating up at the right time!

steelpride12
02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
1 to 1 Preds on the PP.

steelpride12
02-14-2010, 01:03 PM
GOOOALLL!!! Staal powering to the net for the net and I think Cooke gives it the extra push through the legs of the goaltender and giving the Pens a 2 to 1 lead after the PP goal for the Preds.
GO PENS!

steelpride12
02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
2 to 2 Preds scored 8 seconds after Pens goal. An impossible looking goal from an crazy side angle. Lucky.

X-Terminator
02-14-2010, 01:37 PM
*sighs*

Makes no sense to complain about the inconsistent play anymore. It is what it is.

X-Terminator
02-14-2010, 02:48 PM
And there it is again. They go into the break losing 4 of 5 games and get just 4 of 6 points during the home stretch. Blow yet ANOTHER chance to catch the Devils for the division lead. Way to go, guys. :coffee:

They had best come out of the Olympic break with all guns blazing, and they need to find a way to get wins on home ice, plain and simple. It's gotten ridiculous now.

Shea
02-14-2010, 09:20 PM
All the games are available on MSNBC, CNBC, NBC or USA...you should be able to watch them all. They start Tuesday with USA vs. Switzerland and Canada vs. Norway...here's a link for the games schedule. You can find other events schedules day by day as well on here.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/zone=ET/day=5/sport=IH/index.html

That link is exactly what I needed!

Lays everything out daily with times, match-ups and where to find it on TV.

Thanks so much, SCM! :thumbsup:

Shea
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote today from Geno at the Olympics:

He had a brief talk with Sidney Crosby this morning. "We've been playing together for five years, we won the Stanley Cup together, and we're friends. I told him good luck. I would never wish him anything bad." But will Malkin hit Crosby? "Yes. And not just once." :chuckle:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/082igFM4C7gbQ/610x.jpg

Tomorrow USA and Canada play. Can't wait!

WH
02-16-2010, 02:28 AM
I hope they throw down.

SteelCityMom
02-16-2010, 09:09 AM
That link is exactly what I needed!

Lays everything out daily with times, match-ups and where to find it on TV.

Thanks so much, SCM! :thumbsup:

You're very welcome. They have everything nicely laid out on that site, was glad I found it.

I can't wait for the mens hockey to start this afternoon. I've been trying to watch the womens hockey for the past few days, and nothing against the girls...but it's been quite boring so far. The Canadian and American women are doing very well, but the games have been so lopsided so far that it just makes it dull.

The womens hockey is in danger of being taken out of the Olympics because of lack of competition among nations. The Canadians beat Slovakia 18-0 (a record) the other night and the Americans, even though they were trying not to run up the score, won 12-1 over China. Hopefully it gets more interesting once the good womens teams start playing each other.

Fire Haley
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I wonder how Canadian fans are handling having to cheer for Sid to bring home the gold?

WH
02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Ryan Malone! YEAH!

Shea
02-16-2010, 09:35 PM
The womens hockey is in danger of being taken out of the Olympics because of lack of competition among nations. The Canadians beat Slovakia 18-0 (a record) the other night and the Americans, even though they were trying not to run up the score, won 12-1 over China. Hopefully it gets more interesting once the good womens teams start playing each other.

That's interesting - I didn't know that. Especially, since hockey is such a popular part of the winter games. If the men are playing, then the women should always be given the same opportunity to compete.

I watched the USA game against Russia today and it was another blowout - 13-0 which surprised me. I had assumed since it was Russia that their team would be a serious contender and full of talent. Wasn't the case.

I've never watched the women play before, and it isn't as physical as the mens' game, but damn if some of those girls aren't highly skilled. Makes me wish I could play.

X-Terminator
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
That's interesting - I didn't know that. Especially, since hockey is such a popular part of the winter games. If the men are playing, then the women should always be given the same opportunity to compete.

I watched the USA game against Russia today and it was another blowout - 13-0 which surprised me. I had assumed since it was Russia that their team would be a serious contender and full of talent. Wasn't the case.

I've never watched the women play before, and it isn't as physical as the mens' game, but damn if some of those girls aren't highly skilled. Makes me wish I could play.

You'd think that, but really, outside of the U.S. and Canada, women just don't play hockey nearly as much, not even in hockey-mad countries like Russia or Sweden. They are completely outgunned and overmatched in every game. I agree with SCM - eventually women's hockey is going to be dropped, because you know going in it's going to be the U.S. and Canada for the gold, and no one else has a chance in hell. Where's the fun in that?

WH
02-17-2010, 01:37 AM
You'd think that, but really, outside of the U.S. and Canada, women just don't play hockey nearly as much, not even in hockey-mad countries like Russia or Sweden. They are completely outgunned and overmatched in every game. I agree with SCM - eventually women's hockey is going to be dropped, because you know going in it's going to be the U.S. and Canada for the gold, and no one else has a chance in hell. Where's the fun in that?Yeah, ya know how those Swedish women got ''outgunned and overmatched'' 4 year ago (when they booted the US and won the silver.)

X-Terminator
02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Yeah, ya know how those Swedish women got ''outgunned and overmatched'' 4 year ago (when they booted the US and won the silver.)

Oops, yeah you got me there. Forgot about that. So that's 3 teams and then...everyone else.

WH
02-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Oops, yeah you got me there. Forgot about that. So that's 3 teams and then...everyone else.

Yeah, I agree completely. Just had to defend the wife's motherland. Some of those eastern european women just don't want to play hockey. Maybe they've discovered softball.

WH
02-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Whoever laid out the Men's hockey games' schedule had their head up their ass.

X-Terminator
02-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Whoever laid out the Men's hockey games' schedule had their head up their ass.

Yeah...who was the genius that thought it would be a good idea to start a game at 8:55pm PST (11:55 EST)? It's too damn late for anyone to watch. They should have played them at noon, 3:00 and 6:00 PST, so that no one would have to stay up until 2:30am to watch a game in the Eastern time zone. Sounds like something Gary Bettman would do.

WH
02-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Agreed, XT, agreed.

SteelCityMom
02-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Yeah, they are very talented, but womens hockey just isn't big in many countries. And the reason it's not as physical is because they aren't allowed to check...it's a penalty. I bet they wish they could though.

What's crazy is, Slovakia (the team that Canada beat 18-0...and I think they layed off a bit towards the end) qualified for the Olympics by beating Bulgaria 82-0. That's freaking insane. I can't even remember what the shot totals were, but it was well into the hundreds for Slovakia and maybe not even into the double digits for Bulgaria. Talk about a blowout. I just think unless other countries besides USA, Canada and Sweden step up their womens hockey programs it'll go the way of womens softball and be taken out. It just isn't very competitive or fun to watch.

SteelCityMom
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah...who was the genius that thought it would be a good idea to start a game at 8:55pm PST (11:55 EST)? It's too damn late for anyone to watch. They should have played them at noon, 3:00 and 6:00 PST, so that no one would have to stay up until 2:30am to watch a game in the Eastern time zone. Sounds like something Gary Bettman would do.

I was so ticked off at the hockey scheduling yesterday, and not just because of the late start. The USA game started when it was posted online to start...but the Canada vs. Norway game didn't actually get televised until 8pm (which granted, was it's listed online time) yet the game had started at 7:30pm. What was being shown during the first period? Well, women's curling of course lol. They had also listed the start time of the Russia vs. Latvia game as 12:30am online and turned it on to find it well into the first period and the score already 2-0 Russia. Sorta ticked me off a bit.

WH
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you Dick Ebersol, you ****.

X-Terminator
02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I was so ticked off at the hockey scheduling yesterday, and not just because of the late start. The USA game started when it was posted online to start...but the Canada vs. Norway game didn't actually get televised until 8pm (which granted, was it's listed online time) yet the game had started at 7:30pm. What was being shown during the first period? Well, women's curling of course lol. They had also listed the start time of the Russia vs. Latvia game as 12:30am online and turned it on to find it well into the first period and the score already 2-0 Russia. Sorta ticked me off a bit.

The start of the Canada vs. Norway game started on MSNBC on time, then switched to NBC at 8. I believe Russia vs. Latvia started on CNBC first before switching to NBC. Check those 2 channels and USA Network first (assuming you have them) at game time if it isn't on NBC. Anyway you slice it, it's completely freaking convoluted scheduling. No wonder NBC can't carry water for CBS and ABC...or even FOX for that matter.

SteelMember
02-17-2010, 01:17 PM
It's true. NBC still hasn't figured this stuff out.

I remember when they tried to basically make it pay-per-view with the Red, White & Blue channels/packages. Although, this may have been for the summer games.

They mixed it all up nicely, so even if you got one of the packages, you'd probably be missing some of the other more popular sports/games.

Basically, you needed to get them all.

Nice.

-Thank you for your patriotism :usa:

SteelCityMom
02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
The start of the Canada vs. Norway game started on MSNBC on time, then switched to NBC at 8. I believe Russia vs. Latvia started on CNBC first before switching to NBC. Check those 2 channels and USA Network first (assuming you have them) at game time if it isn't on NBC. Anyway you slice it, it's completely freaking convoluted scheduling. No wonder NBC can't carry water for CBS and ABC...or even FOX for that matter.

Your MSNBC must be different from mine cause I was watching womens curling at 7:30 on that channel. It didn't switch to NBC for me at 8 either...that's just when MSNBC started broadcasting the game here. There was womens snowboarding cross and mens figure skating on NBC at 8pm for me. The Russia game never was on NBC for me either, just CNBC. Luge was on NBC at 12:30am for me.

I was going off the schedules I was getting from this site...http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/zone=ET/day=6/sport=IH/index.html and so far that's what I've been getting on all the channels that carry Olympic events.

I suspect that I'll be missing the start of the Sweden vs. Germany game tonight as well since the schedule on here says 8pm to 10pm on CNBC, as well as the Czech and Slovakia game that is listed as being broadcast from 12:30am - 2:30am on CNBC.

Edit: actually...looking ahead at the schedules, it seems the only games I'll be watching in entirety are the early 3pm games until the 20th, then the listings are for full games.

X-Terminator
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Your MSNBC must be different from mine cause I was watching womens curling at 7:30 on that channel. It didn't switch to NBC for me at 8 either...that's just when MSNBC started broadcasting the game here. There was womens snowboarding cross and mens figure skating on NBC at 8pm for me. The Russia game never was on NBC for me either, just CNBC. Luge was on NBC at 12:30am for me.

I was going off the schedules I was getting from this site...http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/zone=ET/day=6/sport=IH/index.html and so far that's what I've been getting on all the channels that carry Olympic events.

I suspect that I'll be missing the start of the Sweden vs. Germany game tonight as well since the schedule on here says 8pm to 10pm on CNBC, as well as the Czech and Slovakia game that is listed as being broadcast from 12:30am - 2:30am on CNBC.

Edit: actually...looking ahead at the schedules, it seems the only games I'll be watching in entirety are the early 3pm games until the 20th, then the listings are for full games.

I don't know what happened for you, but MSNBC had the start of the Canada/Norway game for me, then switched coverage to NBC. I was just taking a guess on Russia/Latvia (was working last night so I couldn't watch) but I did know the game was supposed to be on CNBC for at least the start. Still though, whoever decided to do this must have been high - it's the worst scheduling I've ever seen. You'd think a network with that many stations would have better coverage. I bet you CBS, FOX or ABC wouldn't screw it up this bad.

SteelCityMom
02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know what happened for you, but MSNBC had the start of the Canada/Norway game for me, then switched coverage to NBC. I was just taking a guess on Russia/Latvia (was working last night so I couldn't watch) but I did know the game was supposed to be on CNBC for at least the start. Still though, whoever decided to do this must have been high - it's the worst scheduling I've ever seen. You'd think a network with that many stations would have better coverage. I bet you CBS, FOX or ABC wouldn't screw it up this bad.

Yeah, I don't know how that works either. Maybe it's because I just have regular cable and not HD?? Maybe some of the HD channels are switching over for the hockey games is my only guess.

As of now, the Sweden/Germany game started at 7:30 (I'm guessing) on CNBC and curling is still on b/c of extra innings. Luckily something cool (snowboarding halfpipe) is on NBC right now.

And I fully agree about the coverage. You'd think with 4 available channels there wouldn't be any scheduling conflicts.

Shea
02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm loving the Olympics but I'm starting to get a serious itchin' for some Pens' hockey.

Got a ways to go before they play again, but I can't wait to see them all back on the ice where I know and recognize the lines, PK, PP, etc.

I'm missing what I know and love. :crying02:

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm loving the Olympics but I'm starting to get a serious itchin' for some Pens' hockey.

Got a ways to go before they play again, but I can't wait to see them all back on the ice where I know and recognize the lines, PK, PP, etc.

I'm missing what I know and love. :crying02:

I agree! :banging: No Steelers, No Pens! I love the Olympics and seeing the Pens represent their countries, but I just want them all back in front of 17,000 fighting for the cup! 6 more days till they continue their season ughhh so long!

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Let's hope Crosby and Malkin both have respectful games against each other.

Shea
02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I agree! :banging: No Steelers, No Pens! I love the Olympics and seeing the Pens represent their countries, but I just want them all back in front of 17,000 fighting for the cup! 6 more days till they continue their season ughhh so long!

I'm enjoying the Olympics as well and I also know how many days until the Pens start up again. :chuckle:

Looks like I'm not alone in missing the team. :drink:

I've also noticed that 4x hasn't posted for quite some time. Anyone know why, or if he's OK?

Usually, he'd be all over what's happening in the hockey world right now since he's one of the hockey nuts on this board. Hope he is doing well and perhaps is just busy and hasn't had the time to post.

steelpride12
02-25-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm enjoying the Olympics as well and I also know how many days until the Pens start up again. :chuckle:

I've also noticed that 4x hasn't posted for quite some time. Anyone know why, or if he's OK?

Usually, he'd be all over what's happening in the hockey world right now since he's one of the hockey nuts on this board. Hope he is doing well and perhaps is just busy and hasn't had the time to post.

Let's just hope for the best and not worry. Sure he is just a busy person and when the Pens took a break so did he. Its ok Shea he will be back! :hug:

HometownGal
02-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Oh believe me - you aren't alone in missing Pens hockey. :drink: Tuesday night can't come soon enough for me! :banana: It's just so bizarre seeing our guys playing against each other. :willy:

For today, though, I'll be cheerin' on Team USA in the Gold Medal game against Team Canuck. :usa: :applaudit: I won't be able to watch it live as I have a prior commitment, but I'll be recording it on the DVR.

X-Terminator
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Latest on Gonchar is that he has rejected 2 and 3 year deals, and has counted with 3 year, $15 million and 4 year, $18.25 million offers. So obviously he's willing to take a little less money in exchange for an extra year. Talks have apparently been put off until the end of the season, which means there is a strong possibility that he will end up leaving for another team. I understand both sides here - Gonchar wants either more money or more term, and the Pens just do not want to risk him retiring before his contract ends and then being on the hook for his cap hit if they give him a 4 year contract. Something's got to give here if Gonchar is going to be retained.

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Latest on Gonchar is that he has rejected 2 and 3 year deals, and has counted with 3 year, $15 million and 4 year, $18.25 million offers. So obviously he's willing to take a little less money in exchange for an extra year. Talks have apparently been put off until the end of the season, which means there is a strong possibility that he will end up leaving for another team. I understand both sides here - Gonchar wants either more money or more term, and the Pens just do not want to risk him retiring before his contract ends and then being on the hook for his cap hit if they give him a 4 year contract. Something's got to give here if Gonchar is going to be retained.

I have no doubt the Pens and Serg will reach some sort of deal at season's end. The Pens know all too well how vital Serg is to this team and how his injury absence adversely affected them last season and how his return completely turned the team around on their playoff run and winning the Cup. He loves this team and the guys too much to leave and is very close with Mario, so I'm holding out :hope: that both sides can come to an agreement.

X-Terminator
03-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Per TSN.ca and Darren Dreger - the Pens have acquired D Jordan Leopold from Florida in exchange for a 2nd round pick. Not exactly the defenseman I had in mind. If they were talking to Florida, why didn't they try to get Keith Ballard instead? Nice job, Ray! :doh:

Link to TSN story (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=311999)

Petesburgh66
03-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Penguins got Leopold for a 2nd rounder.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=311999

Fire Haley
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Good move.

Still like to get a winger.

X-Terminator
03-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Word is Goligoski is about to be traded. To whom, we don't know yet. Maybe he will fetch the winger we need.

EDIT - Unfortunately, it will not be Steve Ott - the Stars re-signed him to a 4-year extension. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=311998. Damn.

steelpride12
03-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Ehh Leopold is alright I suppose. Surprising pick for me of course, but Im just hoping we get a winger soon!

I hope Gonch gets a deal during the off season. The team knows how important he is to this team and the output he has as an offensive defense men and the top man on our PP!

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I dunno - we could have done worse than Leopold. He seems to be a decent player although I'm not at all happy with his +/-.

I'd be sorry to see GoGo go (chuckle:) but if he can fetch us what we need as far as a better than average winger, I'll wish him good luck wherever he ends up. :drink:

As long as they don't trade my Serg. I would wage war if they did!

Fire Haley
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Word is Goligoski is about to be traded.

Mckenzie is on NHL Live right now and he's talking about Ray Whitney to the Pens.

He said he really wants to play for Pittsburgh, but Carolina's GM doesn't think Shero is offering a fair trade.

X-Terminator
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Mckenzie is on NHL Live right now and he's talking about Ray Whitney to the Pens.

He said he really wants to play for Pittsburgh, but Carolina's GM doesn't think Shero is offering a fair trade.

Probably Shero not willing to part with a 1st round pick, and who could blame him? The draft is loaded with talent this year.

steelpride12
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Probably Shero not willing to part with a 1st round pick, and who could blame him? The draft is loaded with talent this year.

Agreed. I mean Im just not feeling picking up Whitney. He is a great winger, but age just kills me. I know he would more than likely be a rental players, but still the draft has so much talent and I know it would not bold well to lose our first round pick for him.

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Agreed. Let 'em keep Whitney and we'll keep the 1st rounder. We've already bartered a 2nd round pick - don't want to lose that 1st.

Fire Haley
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't care about trading draft picks - the time to win is NOW!

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
If they want a first round pick for him, I say forget it. I can live with the roster they have now going into the playoffs.

Fire Haley
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
More on the Leopold trade

Bylsma:

"To get a guy who plays against the other team's top line, a guy who skates like he skates, joining and supporting the rush, going back for pucks, and a guy who moves the puck like he moves it is a unique opportunity to add to your team, whether it's now or in the summer time. That's what we think we're getting and I think that adds to our defense. That adds to the way we want to play. You're also getting a guy that went to the Stanley Cup Final. i think it says a lot that Calgary re-acquired him after that. I think is what you're adding to the back end and to the team."

"I don't need to see him in practice to have an idea of where he's going to fit in. We haven't had that conversation in the coaching staff. That will play out with his assignments and where he falls once he gets here and gets on the ice. I've seen a fair bit of him in the last couple weeks."

"Jordan Leopold played against Alex Ovechkin every shift last time Florida played Washington. When his coaches decided who plays against the other team's top line, it was Jordan. That may not be the case for us. ... I think we're getting a guy that can defend well. He may be in situations against other teams' best players and best lines, or second best lines with different teams and different scenarios. ... I think we're getting a guy that will help us defend against the other teams' good players. He's proven that and has been counted on to be that for his team this year."

Shero:

"Contracts play a huge role in any deals being made right now. Teams have to be very careful with guys that have existing contracts moving forward. You're living in the cap world. I think what you're seeing now four or five years into the salary cap, I think your a seller then you're in great shape. If you're a buyer, there aren't a lot of pickings. That's a byproduct of the salary cap. There is a lot of parity in the league. Not a lot of teams are selling right now so the prices for players are relatively high. I'm not complaining because I'd rather be a buyer than a seller. That's just the reality of the situation with the salary cap."

"If you're the Pittsburgh Penguins, I'm not really that interested in trading players off our team becasue I'm trying to strenghthen it, not weaken it."

"The Leopold deal, we're fine cap wise. This was to strengthen our defense, which I think we needed to strengthen a bit. Right now we have eight NHL defensemen. Last year we went to the Final and won the Stanley Cup with eight NHL defensemen, and all of them played in the playoffs. It's important to have. We'll see what happens by Wednesday. Right now there are no cap implications. We're fine there."

"Dan (Bylsma) has a lot of input. I talk to Dan regularly. I think it's important to do. We have to be on the same wave length. He has to understand what I'm trying to accomplish in terms of what our assets our, where we are with the cap, but I also have to know what areas he and the coaches think we need to improve upon. That's a constant dialogue throughout the year. It's no different than when Michel Therrien was here. I think it's important to be in constant communication with your coach and making sure you're on the same wave length for any deal that you do."

"From our meetings and talking to our coaches, our first priority was to try to add a defenseman. Since Saturday I've been active trying to do that. I was more of a caller trying to see the value for players, who was going to be available and what the cost was. Once we established that, we've got Jordan Leopold now, we'll see what's out there. Maybe it's a minor league deal, maybe it's no deal at all, but we want to be in the mix of things and see what's out there."

"With a guy like Leopold, you look at who they're playing against. This is a guy that's played against good players, whether it's Ovechkin or other guys. That's what he's done. When you're playing 22 minutes a game, as he was in Florida, you're going to get those assignments. They've got a few other guys that did that. Leopold was one of the guys. He's one of their top penalty killers. He wasn't playing as much on the power play but he still has seven goals. He's a guy that can skate, move the puck, he's got good NHL experience. I think for our group transitionally and not spending as much time in our end, I think that will be an important addition."

"This deal helps us solidify the back end."

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=519403

X-Terminator
03-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, if Ray and Dan like it, then I love it. :thumbsup: I don't think he's done dealing yet, though.

As for the Whitney deal, Carolina wanted a 1st and Goligoski. I'd have hung up the phone on their GM. There's no way in hell I'd trade that much for a rental player, especially one that is 38 years old.

steelpride12
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Well, if Ray and Dan like it, then I love it. :thumbsup: I don't think he's done dealing yet, though.

As for the Whitney deal, Carolina wanted a 1st and Goligoski. I'd have hung up the phone on their GM. There's no way in hell I'd trade that much for a rental player, especially one that is 38 years old.

Agreed! He is a great winger for sure, but at 38 and a rental player is not worth the youth of GoGo and a first round pick in this young talented draft. :thumbsup:

Shea
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Guys, there's a Pens' game on tomorrow night. :banana: :danceshout: :banana: :danceshout: :banana:

I can't wait!

Shea
03-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't care about trading draft picks - the time to win is NOW!

I do.

Yes, I'm all for winning now, but not at the cost of sacrificing the future success of the team.

We have a very young core of extremely talented players. I say we be careful and put the team in the best position possible to win not only now but for many years to come.

Fire Haley
03-01-2010, 10:46 PM
It takes money to pay those young talents...with Sid and Malkin making 9mil a year per it'll be hard to keep the guys we have coming up now.

We go cheap with rent-a-players at trade time - that's the way it will go.

Player - Salary /Cap Number

Sidney Crosby $9,000,000 / $8,700,000
Evgeni Malkin $9,000,000 / $8,700,000

Sergei Gonchar $5,500,000 / $5,000,000
Brooks Orpik $3,750,000 / $3,750,000
Chris Kunitz $3,600,000 / $3,725,000
Jordan Staal $3,500,000 / $4,000,000
Marc-Andre Fleury $3,500,000 / $5,000,000

Bill Guerin $2,000,000 / $2,000,000
Mark Eaton $2,000,000 / $2,000,000
Ruslan Fedotenko $1,800,000 / $1,800,000
Pascal Dupuis $1,400,000 / $1,400,000
Alex Goligoski $1,250,000 / $1,833,000
Matt Cooke $1,200,000 / $1,200,000
Maxime Talbot $1,050,000 / $1,050,000

Michael Rupp $800,000 / $825,000
Jay McKee $800,000 / $800,000
Eric Godard $750,000 / $750,000
Kris Letang $625,000 / $835,000
Tyler Kennedy $600,000 / $725,000

steelpride12
03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Guys, there's a Pens' game on tomorrow night. :banana: :danceshout: :banana: :danceshout: :banana:

I can't wait!

Yes and me and my buddy will be there freezing our tails off in the student rush line woo! GO PENS! :drink:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Yes and me and my buddy will be there freezing our tails off in the student rush line woo! GO PENS! :drink:

Have a great time! :drink:

XT and I don't have tickets to tonight's game - it wasn't in our "plan".

I hope Pens fans give Ryan Miller a standing O tonight for his outstanding play representing the USA in the Olympics. :thumbsup: :hope:

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Penguins face prospect of revamping defense (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_669584.html)
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sergei Gonchar isn't on the trading block, and general manager Ray Shero isn't looking to move any defenseman off the Penguins' roster between now and the NHL trade deadline at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

However, developments Monday point toward Gonchar likely playing out the season and testing the free-agent market July 1 - and possibly leaving the Penguins for a long-term contract elsewhere.

There is no other way to read two bits of news from yesterday: That talks between Shero and Gonchar's agent JP Barry are on hiatus until after the season, and the acquisition of puck-moving defenseman Jordan Leopold from Florida for a 2010 second-round draft pick.

Also, consider these words from coach Dan Bylsma regarding Leopold, who is in the final year of his contract.

"His coaches played him against the top line this year," he said, acknowledging that Leopold was often assigned to defend against Washington superstar left wing Alex Ovechkin, who torched the Penguins for nine goals in a seven-game playoff series last spring. "To get a guy who skates like he skates, a guy who goes back for pucks and who has the ability to join the rush - that's a unique opportunity, whether it's in the summertime or now."

Those are all roles currently assigned to Gonchar.

Those are also roles the Penguins believe young defensemen Alex Goligoski, 24, and Kris Letang, 23, could handle next season - especially Letang, long considered by management as the heir apparent to Gonchar as the club's top two-way defenseman.

Leopold, 29, leaves the Penguins with eight NHL-tested defensemen but only two under contract for next season (Brooks Orpik and Goligoski). Gonchar, Mark Eaton, Jay McKee and Martin Skoula are all slated to become unrestricted free agents; Letang can field offers July 1 as a restricted free agent.

Bylsma dressed seven defensemen in eight playoff games last season and said he would consider that unconventional strategy again. Shero said he believes at least eight NHL-quality defensemen are needed for success in the postseason.

He also will not willingly engage clubs such as Philadelphia and Boston in a bidding war for scoring-line winger Raffi Torres of Columbus.

"I'm not really that interested in trading players off our team, because I'm trying to strengthen our team, not weaken it," Shero said, noting a seller's market of five teams.

"And if you're a buyer, there's not a lot of pickings."

Improving the defense was Shero's top priority, and Leopold's strengths - skating and puck movement - mesh well with Bylsma's preference for the Penguins to possess the puck and aggressively challenge on offense.

Leopold's experience as a key component on Calgary's 2004 Cup finalist squad was also a selling point.

The Penguins have tried to sell Gonchar on taking a so-called hometown discount to finish his career in Pittsburgh, but he isn't buying - at least not on short-term deal, which the club prefers. Barry told the Tribune-Review yesterday that term was a sticking point on two different proposals he presented to Shero during the Olympic break.

Gonchar, 35, is in the final year of a five-season contract that counts $5 million annually against the NHL salary cap, which is expected to increase only slightly next season from its current $56.8 million.

The Penguins are within about $350,000 of the cap after the acquisition of Leopold, whose $1.7 million hit will be prorated over their final 20 regular-season games. With their remaining cap space, the Penguins could acquire a player whose average annual cap hit is about $1.8 million, but the club must keep enough room to recall AHL prospects in case of short-term injury to regulars or the need to rest returning Olympians Crosby, Malkin, Orpik and Gonchar.

Gonchar has said he wants to finish his career with the Penguins, but he has not said he will accept less than anticipated market value - as Crosby and Malkin did for contract extensions in 2007 and 2008, respectively.

Though 36 by July 1, Gonchar is among a group of marquee veterans at his position who are slated to become unrestricted. That group that includes Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom, Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer, New Jersey's Paul Martin and Ottawa's Anton Volchenkov.

The bounty of potential unrestricted free-agent defensemen is likely to weaken the market for restricted players such as Letang, who would like a long-term deal in the $4 million range comparable to what center Jordan Staal signed in 2009.

The Penguins, who play Buffalo tonight at Mellon Arena, could turn their attention to negotiations with Letang's agent, Kent Hughes. Talks between Shero and Hughes have stalled since November, and the team is attempting to reach a deal with Letang that mirrors the one signed by Goligoski last summer.

Goligoski is in the first season of a three-year contract that counts $1.83 million annually against the cap.

Shero has not ruled out making another move by Wednesday but reiterated he is comfortable with his group of forwards.

By all indications, he feels the same way about playing future games at Consol Energy Center without the Penguins' "Sarge."

steelpride12
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Have a great time! :drink:

XT and I don't have tickets to tonight's game - it wasn't in our "plan".

I hope Pens fans give Ryan Miller a standing O tonight for his outstanding play representing the USA in the Olympics. :thumbsup: :hope:

Oh we will for sure. He is not the starter tonight, Miller is taking an extra day break, but he will be down there in the walkway and hear it from the fans for is outstanding performance! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
None of that is going to make HTG happy, because Gonchar is by far and away her favorite player. But I've said before that if he insists on asking for $6 million a year, which he says is market value, then he can take his services elsewhere. I love Sarge and I truly do appreciate all he's done for the team and for Geno, and is as great a human being as you can find. But this is a business, and the Pens simply cannot afford to pay him that much money in a long-term deal. He has to be willing to either accept a short-term deal for more money or a lesser amount over a longer-term deal. There's no other way it's going to get done. The Pens have to think about the best interests of the organization, and risking having a $5 million or $6 million cap hit on a retired player (Gonchar would be 40 at the end of a 4-year deal - certainly retirement age) even for one season would cripple the team. Also, at the end of those 4 years, Crosby's contract will be up, Staal the year before, and Malkin the year after. They will need all of the money they can get if they want to keep all 3 of those guys.

steelpride12
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Agreed XT, but it such a difficult situation for the organization. Come on Gonch is one of if not the most important player on this team and you all know how we play when he is not in the line up, and yes I agree 6 Million for an older players who seeks retirement soon is WAY too much for him, but still how can't you lock up someone so key for this team's success.
Im on both sides here because I can see where everyone is coming from except Gonch's 6 million "market value" because yes he is worth the money, but at this age and point in his career no. I just don't know. The team won't pay that so what more can we do?

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Agreed XT, but it such a difficult situation for the organization. Come on Gonch is one of if not the most important player on this team and you all know how we play when he is not in the line up, and yes I agree 6 Million for an older players who seeks retirement soon is WAY too much for him, but still how can't you lock up someone so key for this team's success.
Im on both sides here because I can see where everyone is coming from except Gonch's 6 million "market value" because yes he is worth the money, but at this age and point in his career no. I just don't know. The team won't pay that so what more can we do?

Just pray that something can be worked out, and prepare to be bitterly disappointed if the Pens have no choice but to trade his rights to another team if they cannot come to an agreement. It should also be noted that J.P. Barry is also the agent for Sid and Geno, so here's hoping that they can wield some influence over Gonchar and convince him to take the discount to stay.

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Just pray that something can be worked out, and prepare to be bitterly disappointed if the Pens have no choice but to trade his rights to another team if they cannot come to an agreement. It should also be noted that J.P. Barry is also the agent for Sid and Geno, so here's hoping that they can wield some influence over Gonchar and convince him to take the discount to stay.

I hope so.

We had to stink for too many years to build the team back up with those 1st rounders. And don't get me wrong here because I know what Gonch brings to the team, but if your asking me to choose, there's no way I keep him and risk losing players like Crosby, Malkin or Fleury down the road.

Fire Haley
03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
More rumors? Trade Letang?

"...That leaves Kris Letang as the intriguing final piece to Shero’s reconstruction of a contender. The thought of losing Letang’s raw ability and potential gives Penguins fans nightmares of trading away Markus Naslund far before he hit his prime, but his upcoming restricted free agent status this summer is a big reason for concern.

With such a large portion of the salary cap already locked up in the core of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, and Orpik, it won’t be easy for Pittsburgh to pay the pretty penny Letang probably knows he can fetch as a restricted free agent this summer.

He’s a 21 year old defenseman with two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals already on his resume, and is an ideal prospect to build a team around. In a perfect world without a salary cap, Ray Shero wouldn’t think twice about taking any money he’s set aside for resigning Gonchar to pay Letang.

Unfortunately, this isn’t that world and trading Letang might fetch a return that puts this team over the top, especially with Leopold prepared to step in and contribute immediately as a replacement.

For the patient Shero to pull the the trigger immediately following the Olympic roster freeze, it seems to indicate he has more tricks up his sleeve. While anything at this stage is purely speculation, it still feels as if the other shoe has yet to drop."

http://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-jordan-leopold/

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
None of that is going to make HTG happy, because Gonchar is by far and away her favorite player. But I've said before that if he insists on asking for $6 million a year, which he says is market value, then he can take his services elsewhere. I love Sarge and I truly do appreciate all he's done for the team and for Geno, and is as great a human being as you can find. But this is a business, and the Pens simply cannot afford to pay him that much money in a long-term deal. He has to be willing to either accept a short-term deal for more money or a lesser amount over a longer-term deal. There's no other way it's going to get done. The Pens have to think about the best interests of the organization, and risking having a $5 million or $6 million cap hit on a retired player (Gonchar would be 40 at the end of a 4-year deal - certainly retirement age) even for one season would cripple the team. Also, at the end of those 4 years, Crosby's contract will be up, Staal the year before, and Malkin the year after. They will need all of the money they can get if they want to keep all 3 of those guys.

Lets tag him ... oops sorry wrong sport. I have to agree about letting Serge go if he wants 6 million. It's just not doable for a player at his age, given the Pen's cap situation.

As for HTG, here is the plan. If they let Serge go we have this guy deliver the news to her.http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_8366.jpg

That ought to hold her over for a bit.

Fire Haley
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
McKenzie: "Carolina's Ray Whitney may not get dealt at deadline unless the L.A. King scenario gets revived. It's his call but Pittsburgh appears out."

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
FYI...

Starting tonight

Directv : Center Ice free trial from 3/2 thru 3/8.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Damned straight I'm not happy. :mad: He's not only my favorite Pen - he's my favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time, which includes the Pirates, Pens and Steelers.

While I agree that $6 mil per season is pretty far-fetched, he is certainly more than worthy of receiving a 3 or 4 year contract at 4 - 4.5 mil after all he has done for this team and organization and how vital he is to the team's future success. I see Serg playing AT LEAST 4 more seasons barring serious injury. If Shero thinks GoGo or Letang are going to make a hair on Serg's cute hiney anytime soon, me thinks he's going to be in for a very rude awakening.

WAKE UP SHERO - this is one guy you just can't afford to let go. :banging:

pittsburghp8baller
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Havent posted in here in a while, good to see so many more people posting.

Excited to get to see the Pens back in action tonight, looking forward to seeing Leopold in a Pens jersey for the first time. As while as being able to cheer for Sid again, even though if anyone from Canada had to score to beat the US, im glad it was Sid.

Lets go Pens!!!

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Lets tag him ... oops sorry wrong sport. I have to agree about letting Sarge go if he wants 6 million. It's just not doable for a player at his age, given the Pen's cap situation.

As for HTG, here is the plan. If they let Sarge go we have this guy deliver the news to her.http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_8366.jpg

That ought to hold her over for a bit.

:lust: Add in Skippy Reed and Eric Godard and you've got a deal! :drink: :wink:

My heart would just break in two to see Serg playing on any other team but the Pens. :crying01:

In all seriousness, though - I think it is obvious to most Pens fans, as well as to the Pens FO, that they most likely wouldn't have won the Cup last season without Gonchar. They were sliding until his return from injury and perked right back up upon his return. He is just too important to this team and I'm hoping - praying - they can come to a mutually acceptable agreement. :hope:

Geno - Sid - work some magic here!

Hey - welcome back pittsburghp8baller! Great seeing you around again! :drink: :thumbsup: :hug:

SteelCityMom
03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Dang...the fans in Pittsburgh obviously were not happy about Sid getting the winning goal against the US. I'm pretty sure I heard a lot of boo's when they showed the replay before announcing Sid's name. Not cool people...not cool.

All that aside...LET'S GO PENS!!!!

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Dang...the fans in Pittsburgh obviously were not happy about Sid getting the winning goal against the US. I'm pretty sure I heard a lot of boo's when they showed the replay before announcing Sid's name. Not cool people...not cool.

I heard that too, and was very disappointed in that lack of class and appreciation for one of our own - our captain! :shake02: I shouldn't be surprised, though - XT can tell you how many classless fans we encounter when we're at the games. Dollars to donuts sez these ignoramuses didn't even know that Pittsburgh had a hockey team until the 2005 season. :shake01:

I heard boos when Lindy Rupp's name was announced, too, which was just plain ignorant.

What I really loved, though, was hearing the loud cheers and applause when Ryan Miller's name was announced to the crowd and he seemed genuinely touched by his reaction from the runway. :applaudit: :hatsoff:

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey XT - ya think Skippy is at the game tonight in his usual spot right across the ice from us? :chuckle:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
ROFL!!!! I love the hamster SOUL commercial! :rofl: :laughing: :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. I've encountered a few people who felt that Sid shouldn't get cheered because he played for Canada, and that only the U.S. Olympians should be honored. If you noticed, Miller got the loudest cheer. Um, yeah he represented Team USA, but he plays for the other team! My country comes first, but I'm not going to boo Sid. That's just classless.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
WOW - what a shithead move by Rivet on Sid. Both are now sitting in the bin of sin.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Pens going on PP due to cheap shot by Kennedy on Max. :upyours:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! My baby gets his 200th goal and the Pens are up 1-0!!!!

SIGN HIM SHERO.

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey XT - ya think Skippy is at the game tonight in his usual spot right across the ice from us? :chuckle:

I think you can take that to the bank! He needs to stick around here just so that he doesn't have to give up his season tickets. :chuckle:

And how fitting - Gonchar proves how valuable he is to the Pens by scoring a PPG. I hope Ray was paying attention! And congrats on his 200th career goal! :thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
DuPuis puts it in the net to make it 2-0 Pens! :banana: :applaudit: :banana:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Shit. Lydman scores for the Sabes to put them down by 1. :banging:

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
That goal is the kind of thing that just chaps my ass about the defense. Guys, your job is to clear bodies from in front of Johnson, not cause a screen! :banging: :banging:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Did I just hear that the Pens are rumored to be trying to obtain Alexei Ponikarovsky from the Leafs? Hmmmm - wonder what we'd have to give up to get him.

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Did I just hear that the Pens are rumored to be trying to obtain Alexei Ponikarovsky from the Leafs? Hmmmm - wonder what we'd have to give up to get him.

Yes. The deal hasn't been finalized, but it looks like they've traded Luca Caputi and a pick to the Leafs for Ponikarovsky.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes. The deal hasn't been finalized, but it looks like they've traded Luca Caputi and a pick to the Leafs for Ponikarovsky.

Though I hate losing Luca as I thought he looked very impressive during his short stint up from the farm, I'd be happy to get Ponikarovsky. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Though I hate losing Luca as I thought he looked very impressive during his short stint up from the farm, I'd be happy to get Ponikarovsky. :thumbsup:

Actually, there's no pick involved - it's just Caputi straight up for Ponikarovsky, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie's Twitter page. I personally do not like the trade, unless Poni re-signs and Shero spends his 1st rounder on a winger. That's too much to give up for what could very well be a rental player.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Actually, there's no pick involved - it's just Caputi straight up for Ponikarovsky, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie's Twitter page. I personally do not like the trade, unless Poni re-signs and Shero spends his 1st rounder on a winger. That's too much to give up for what could very well be a rental player.

I have to agree to an extent and I guess we really won't know for sure what Shero is going to do until the announcement is officially made.

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Oh come once he plays here, he will want to stay. Shero will get him to signed. What could possibly hossa .... opps I mean happen. (damn typos).

:chuckle:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh come once he plays here, he will want to stay. Shero will get him to signed. What could possibly hossa .... opps I mean happen. (damn typos).

:chuckle:

:toofunny::applaudit::thumbsup: I still can't stand that asshat.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Damn - Kunitz almost got a clear shot there but was tripped up but hey - we're getting a PP out of it. :thumbsup:

Will my Serg get his 2nd goal of the night? :hope:

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Question for HTG and XT? Do you think this article is accurate.? If it is then I don't really have that big of a problem with fans giving a little good-natured booing to the replay of the goal, as opposed to booing Sid when he was introduced which is asinine.

PITTSBURGH -- Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller received a standing ovation in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night for leading the United States to an Olympic silver medal -- cheers louder than those given the Penguins' own Sidney Crosby.

Crosby beat Miller to score the game-winning goal in overtime Sunday as Canada defeated the United States 3-2 for the gold medal. Despite being on the losing team, Miller was chosen as the tournament MVP.

Olympians for both teams were introduced before the game, with Miller receiving the loudest and most sustained ovation. Crosby also received a standing ovation, but it was less enthusiastic than Miller's despite his vast popularity in Pittsburgh.

There was a mixed reaction when a replay of Crosby's game-winning goal was shown on the Mellon Arena scoreboard, with some cheering but also noticeable booing.

Miller sat out Tuesday after playing all six games for the Americans in Vancouver. Crosby was in the Penguins' lineup and assisted on the first goal, by Sergei Gonchar on a power play at 14:58 of the first period.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4960646

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Actually - other than the fact that Ponikarovsky is a pretty good wing and I think he'd be an asset to the Pens, he's smokin'! :lust: You know how I like those Ukes/Russians. :chuckle:

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.gameusedarena.com/images/equip/ponigloves/ref1.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGkaIH04qkN-ZWrswWsGOI-aaJYtA

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Question for HTG and XT? Do you think this article is accurate.? If it is then I don't really have that big of a problem with fans giving a little good-natured booing to the replay of the goal, as opposed to booing Sid when he was introduced which is asinine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4960646

That article is spot-on - I heard the boos myself and as I posted earlier, found it totally disgusting and classless. I was happy, though, that the fans at least gave some nice kudos to Miller - he really deserved it.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
WOO HOOOO!!!! Look at Rupp beating the living tar out of Gaustad. :applaudit: :banana: Looks like Gaustad hurt his hand trying to land one on Rupp.

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
That article is spot-on - I heard the boos myself and as I posted earlier, found it totally disgusting and classless. I was happy, though, that the fans at least gave some nice kudos to Miller - he really deserved it.

I am starting to like Miller even more (although once he gets back in goal I will hate him during games). If you look at his reaction, he seemed genuinely surprised. He was so disappointed by the loss, and seems to be so down to earth generally, that I don't think he realizes how much respect he has earned with American hockey fans.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I am starting to like Miller even more (although once he gets back in goal I will hate him during games). If you look at his reaction, he seemed genuinely surprised. He was so disappointed by the loss, and seems to be so down to earth generally, that I don't think he realizes how much respect he has earned with American hockey fans.

I totally agree. Miller seems like a genuinely good guy and is one helluva netminder. I dread playing the Sabes because of him.

I've always respected the kid but even moreso after he represented us so outstandingly in the Olympics. :applaudit: :hatsoff:

TANK SCORES TO MAKE IT 3-1 PENS! :banana:

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Sabes are going to get the goal here. It is obvious it hit the back bar and was in. :banging:

C'mon boyz - gotta hold on here. :hope:

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Here is the story XT referenced earlier:

Sources tell TSN a deal is in place for forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to be traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for prospect Luca Caputi but at this point, Pittsburgh has to move a contract for salary cap reasons first.

Sources say the deal may be completed on Tuesday night. Ponikarovsky was kept out of the line-up as a healthy scratch for Toronto's home game against the Carolina Hurricanes.

Ponikarovsky will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and is earning $2.5 million this year. The 29-year old native of Kiev, Ukraine, has 19 goals and 22 assists in 61 games this season and is on pace to eclipse his career-high 23 goals set in 2008-09.

Drafted by the Maple Leafs in the 4th round (87th overall) in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Ponikarovsky has 114 goals, 143 assists and a plus-56 rating in 477 games with the blue and white.

Caputi, 21, is a Toronto native and was drafted by the Penguins in the fourth round of the 2007 draft. He has one goal and one assist in four games with Pittsburgh this season. The 6'2", 184 pound left winger has 23 goals and 24 assists in 54 games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL.:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

I wonder whose contract we will move for cap reasons? That always makes me nervous. If he is only making 2.5 this season maybe signing him long-term won't be quite as hard? I guess this is a line-mate for Geno?

Fire Haley
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
holy crap

the puck lands an inch above the crossbar on top of the net - Pens win!

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks like we're getting Ponikarovsky - waiting to get the official word.

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Here is the story XT referenced earlier:

:

I wonder whose contract we will move for cap reasons? That always makes me nervous. If he is only making 2.5 this season maybe signing him long-term won't be quite as hard? I guess this is a line-mate for Geno?

The trade is in the league office, and it is Caputi and Skoula to the Leafs for Ponikarovsky - no draft picks involved. So there's your answer - the Leafs taking Skoula off our hands frees up the cap room for Poni's contract. I'm still not liking giving up Caputi, but thanks Mr. Burke for taking that waste of a uniform off our hands.

Here's a link - I know it's Twitter, but McKenzie is more than credible: http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/9905179019

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Actually - other than the fact that Ponikarovsky is a pretty good wing and I think he'd be an asset to the Pens, he's smokin'! :lust: You know how I like those Ukes/Russians. :chuckle:

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.gameusedarena.com/images/equip/ponigloves/ref1.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGkaIH04qkN-ZWrswWsGOI-aaJYtA

Yeah, I figured you'd like him! :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Well this is crazy. I found this article when searching for news about the trade.

Alert one of the many Royal Canadian Mounted Police, real and otherwise, at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics.

Sidney Crosby's gear has gone missing.

The man who scored Canada's Golden Goal to win Olympic gold in Vancouver returned home without the stick and gloves he used to score them. Maybe his helmet, too, although we're not quite sure on that just yet.

The good news is he did get his mouthguard back.

As soon as Crosby scored the game-winning goal in overtime, Crosby's helmet, gloves, stick and mouthguard all ended up on the ice at the national celebration began. Actually, one of this gloves ended up in the end zone mesh netting above the glass.

When all was said and done, and the yard sale was cleaned up, it was believed both of Crosby's gloves, including the one in the mesh, were put in a bin in the Team Canada dressing room area, as well as his stick.

But somewhere, sometime, between then and when Crosby left, the gloves and stick were nowhere to be found.

Hockey Canada says they are launching a full investigation to see where the equipment may be.

Crosby's mouthguard was returned to him and there's talk that his helmet made it way back to Pittsburgh, but Crosby is the only one who can confirm that and he's playing right now.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=312137

Me thinks somebody got themselves some souvenirs.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I figured you'd like him! :chuckle:

Sccchhhhhhmokin!

I think he's going to be a nice fit for the team. :thumbsup:

Good luck Luca! :drink:

:wave: Skoula

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Well this is crazy. I found this article when searching for news about the trade.

That totally sucks. Unfortunately, I doubt the RCMP is going to find the thief unless someone rats him/her out.

OneForTheToe
03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
That totally sucks. Unfortunately, I doubt the RCMP is going to find the thief unless someone rats him/her out.

Or it ends up on Ebay.:chuckle:

SteelCityMom
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Haha, yeah I heard them talking about that during the game. They joked that maybe Orpik took them. I can't believe they're going to launch a full investigation on it though...I mean, c'mon, he's got more lol.

Interesting articles on the trade talks too...not sad to see Skoula go at all, but I'll miss Caputi. Great player, excellent name and he wasn't too hard on the eyes either. :chuckle:

http://www.niagaraicedogs.net/uploads/assets/NIAGARA/Caputi.jpg

Petesburgh66
03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Have fun with Ponikarovsky. He is inconsistent and doesn't play to his size. At least he will get Malkin's scraps around the net.

Skoula? The Leafs have enough D to begin with.

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Haha, yeah I heard them talking about that during the game. They joked that maybe Orpik took them. I can't believe they're going to launch a full investigation on it though...I mean, c'mon, he's got more lol.

Not those, though. I mean, he scored the GWG in the game using that stick and those gloves - those should be keepsakes. I know I wouldn't want that stuff ripped off, I'd want it back. I have no problem with the investigation, but I also agree with HTG that it'll be damn tough for the RCMP to find the thief.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Interesting articles on the trade talks too...not sad to see Skoula go at all, but I'll miss Caputi. Great player, excellent name and he wasn't too hard on the eyes either. :chuckle:

http://www.niagaraicedogs.net/uploads/assets/NIAGARA/Caputi.jpg

I wouldn't put it past MAF to play a prank like that on Sid. :chuckle: He's quite the prankster around that locker room.

Caputi is definitely a cutie, but look what we're gettin' in return!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/wellwoodfan/AlexeiPonikarovsky1.jpg

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Lost in all of this excitement about the Pens being back in action, the trades and the win, the Pens right now are in 1st place. The Devils are playing the Sharks right now on Versus, so let's go Sharks!

Fire Haley
03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
LEAFS TRADE PONIKAROVSKY TO PENGUINS FOR SKOULA, CAPUTI

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenceman Martin Skoula and forward Luca Caputi.

Ponikarovsky was kept out of Tuesday's line-up as a healthy scratch for Toronto's home game against the Carolina Hurricanes.

Ponikarovsky will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and is earning $2.5 million this year. The 29-year old native of Kiev, Ukraine, has 19 goals and 22 assists in 61 games this season and is on pace to eclipse his career-high 23 goals set in 2008-09.

Drafted by the Maple Leafs in the 4th round (87th overall) in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Ponikarovsky had 114 goals, 143 assists and a plus-56 rating in 477 games with the blue and white.

X-Terminator
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Have fun with Ponikarovsky. He is inconsistent and doesn't play to his size. At least he will get Malkin's scraps around the net.

Skoula? The Leafs have enough D to begin with.

I know all about Poni's history, but still...the guy has managed to score 19 goals playing on the worst team in the league, and is already the 2nd leading goal scorer on the Pens behind Crosby. He's also never played with a center the likes of Geno or Sid - Sundin was the best center he ever played with in Toronto. I'm worried about his penchant for disappearing for stretches at a time and having limited playoff experience, but I think he'll do well here. I still am not happy they gave up Caputi, though. He was the Pens' 2nd best wing prospect, and considering the absolute lack of talent at wing in the organization, that is a big loss. This had better mean Shero is planning on spending his 1st rounder on a winger, because after Eric Tangradi, the Pens have nobody who can be a top-6 forward.

Fire Haley
03-02-2010, 10:49 PM
With 19 goals he's already our #1 winger in scoring....he can talk Russian with Malkin on his line

SteelCityMom
03-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Well...very happy with the win tonight of course, but it's kind of a bummer that the Debils are up 3-0 over the Sharks going into the third. Doesn't look like we'll be taking first in the division tonight. Brodeur's in the net, so I'm not holding out much hope for a miraculous comeback.

Petesburgh66
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I know all about Poni's history, but still...the guy has managed to score 19 goals playing on the worst team in the league

Worst team? My team may suck but they are the second worst team in the NHL lol.

As for Poni's 19 goals, somebody has to scored for the Leafs. But most of his goals are around the net, which is good for playoff type hockey. Best of luck to him. This is the next best thing to winning the lottery for him.

steelpride12
03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Just got back from the game and first off have to say great win by our boys tonight and as of now 1st place in the division with a point lead over the Devils, Go Sharks! :drink:

Yes I was disappointing with the booing of Sid. They show his highlights all game and it was always boo's. Me and my friend were cheering him on the entire time, he is our captain, Canada won so don't be disrespectful to him, but Miller wow he got a massive ovation and one well deserved for the US. :applaudit::hatsoff:

Good to see Leopold play tonight. Didn't stick out in a good or bad way just played his game. I think I like the trade with Poni a lot actually. I mean we were lacking in the wing position bad and he was a good player with the worst team in the league. Now image his potential with Centers like Sid, Geno, and Staal wow im excited to see him to at it, maybe Thursday?! :popcorn:

The scrap with Rupp was sick. The crowd loved it and watching him rip him apart was the best. Great fight, great game, Pens come out with the W and let's make this late season push for the division and hold on!:drink::thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Well...very happy with the win tonight of course, but it's kind of a bummer that the Debils are up 3-0 over the Sharks going into the third. Doesn't look like we'll be taking first in the division tonight. Brodeur's in the net, so I'm not holding out much hope for a miraculous comeback.

They almost did pull it off, but couldn't - the Devils held on to win 4-3. Dammit. That team is going to be pretty hard to catch now that they have Kovalchuk and got Clarkson back last night.

Worst team? My team may suck but they are the second worst team in the NHL lol.

As for Poni's 19 goals, somebody has to scored for the Leafs. But most of his goals are around the net, which is good for playoff type hockey. Best of luck to him. This is the next best thing to winning the lottery for him.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Oil lol...you want to talk about bad teams? I think they really are trying to "take a fall for Hall."

If all he does is go to the net and pick up the garbage, that's fine with me. You can never have enough guys who can do that. Ryan Malone got rich from doing that with the Pens. Poni is no Malone, but you get the point.

pittsburghp8baller
03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
NHL.com is running free customization on jerseys all day, and Brooks Orpik has quickly become one of my favorite players- even before the olympics. 114 dollars for a jersy, and i just got my paycheck AND tax return.

hmm... interesting. I know i was crushed when i went to go buy a Team USA jersey last week and they didnt have them up no more, i have wanted a Team USA since watching the 96 world cup of hockey ( i was 8 then, and Tony Amonte quickly become my favorite american player, as with Chris Chelios)

anyways, to the Pens...

Looked good last night, felt really good to see Penguins play again. Liked what i saw from Leopold, think he fits our system real good.

Not sure about the Poni trade, i know that we get a guy with 19 goals AND get rid of Skoula (better news for me) but i thins out a already thin farm system when it comes to top-6 wingers. Hope Shero is looking in depth at wingers in the upcoming draft

WH
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Poni trade....meh....Poni has never scored more than 25 goals in his whole career. Not the answer I thought the pens were looking for. But hey, they picked up Grandpa and Kunitz last year (neither of them a hot hot hot winger) and they won a cup, so I'm not bitching.

Someone let me know when they are selling ''Poni Express'' shirts on the Strip somewhere.

HometownGal
03-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Poni trade....meh....Poni has never scored more than 25 goals in his whole career. Not the answer I thought the pens were looking for. But hey, they picked up Grandpa and Kunitz last year (neither of them a hot hot hot winger) and they won a cup, so I'm not bitching.

Someone let me know when they are selling ''Poni Express'' shirts on the Strip somewhere.

I'm in wait and see mode with regard to Ponikarovsky. Remember - he is used to playing with a far inferior team. I think he will do well here.

Don't you worry - if they are selling any kind of Ponikarovsky t-shirts, I'll be first in line. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
They almost did pull it off, but couldn't - the Devils held on to win 4-3. Dammit. That team is going to be pretty hard to catch now that they have Kovalchuk and got Clarkson back last night.

Oh wow...didn't know the Sharks came back that much. I turned it off after the Devs went up 4-0. Too bad the Sharks couldn't have given that effort in the first 45 minutes of the game lol.

In other NHL news...I read in the paper this AM that the Thrashers have signed 48 year old Chelios to their roster, but only for depth. He'll stay with the Chicago Wolves for now, but if the Thrashers need him he can be called up. Kind of surprised he's still getting offers at his age. Dude's never going to quit lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=4959467

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
We just have to wait on Ponie. Give me a break he played for a terrible team and his lines were never strong players. Coming to the Pens for sure should raise his ability playing along side Malkin, Sid, Staal whoever he should impress.

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Skoula, BTW, has been sent to the Devils for a mid-round draft pick. Wow. I didn't think they'd be able to get anything more than a box of empty Gatorade bottles for him. It now makes the Poni trade look a little more one-sided in their favor, IMO.