PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Caputi was a 4th rd pick and is still a "prospect". People just liked him because of his name.

We kept Tangradi and our 1st - that's just as likely to give us a keeper.

So a 4th and a 2nd for Poni - who is a proven 20 goal a year winger - and Leopold - I'd call that a deal.

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Caputi was a 4th rd pick and is still a "prospect". People just liked him because of his name.

We kept Tangradi and our 1st - that's just as likely to give us a keeper.

So a 4th and a 2nd for Poni - who is a proven 20 goal a year winger - and Leopold - I'd call that a deal.

No, people liked him because the kid has more than enough talent to be successful in the NHL, and he was our 2nd best wing prospect. Plus, the Leopold deal looks brutal now that the Coyotes were able to acquire Derek Morris from the Bruins for a 4th rounder in the 2011 draft. They overpaid for both players.

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
No, people liked him because the kid has more than enough talent to be successful in the NHL, and he was our 2nd best wing prospect. Plus, the Leopold deal looks brutal now that the Coyotes were able to acquire Derek Morris from the Bruins for a 4th rounder in the 2011 draft. They overpaid for both players.

But Shero knew it would be awhile until Caputi would fit into our lines and be a consistent starter for the Pens where now he can be with another team, where Poni will fit right into the system and be playing beside Malkin in no time.

WH
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone see that they are giving Lange, Bourque, and Grove a TV show on FSN? Could this be a test run to maybe re-insert Lange and insert Bourque and Grove into game commentary?

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM

"Overpaid"? That's a laugh. This isn't Madden hockey.

And hockey isn't football - we gave up some draft "prospects" that won't be ready to play on a top line for years on a championship team that had holes to fill NOW for another Cup run. That's how I see it.

That's how you be great.

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM

And hockey isn't football - we gave up some draft "prospects" that won't be ready to play on a top line for years on a championship team that had holes to fill NOW for another Cup run. That's how I see it.

That's how you be great.

Exactly. This trade was made for the Pens to make a run now and insert the player in the lineup as soon as possible. Caputi may have taken many more seasons until he was a starter and that is not what Shero was looking for when it came to making a cup run now.

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Anyone see that they are giving Lange, Bourque, and Grove a TV show on FSN? Could this be a test run to maybe re-insert Lange and insert Bourque and Grove into game commentary?

No, but that's awesome! Lange shouldn't have been taken off TV in the first place. I've never liked Steigerwald and have often turned off the TV and turned up the radio. I'll be tuning in when they're on.

That's how you be great.

I'm also not a big believer in mortgaging the future to win now, especially when the organization doesn't have any depth whatsoever at wing after Tangradi. We wouldn't have to keep adding wingers at the trade deadline if we had a couple of young guys who can score.

Anyway, whatever. The deals have been made, so that's that. None of this will matter anyway if they win the Cup again.

Petesburgh66
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Skoula, BTW, has been sent to the Devils for a mid-round draft pick. Wow. I didn't think they'd be able to get anything more than a box of empty Gatorade bottles for him. It now makes the Poni trade look a little more one-sided in their favor, IMO.

So the Skoula era has come to a close in Toronto. Man, we hardly knew you LMAO.

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
No, but that's awesome! Lange shouldn't have been taken off TV in the first place. I've never liked Steigerwald and have often turned off the TV and turned up the radio. I'll be tuning in when they're on.

I'm also not a big believer in mortgaging the future to win now, especially when the organization doesn't have any depth whatsoever at wing after Tangradi. We wouldn't have to keep adding wingers at the trade deadline if we had a young guy who can score.

Anyway, whatever. The deals have been made, so that's that. None of this will matter anyway if they win the Cup again.

And Poni is young at 29 and can score goals with a bad team so Im sure he can score goals with a great core of players and a top of the league center for sure, but agreed it's been made now let's see how it plays out.:drink:

Petesburgh66
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm also not a big believer in mortgaging the future to win now, especially when the organization doesn't have any depth whatsoever at wing after Tangradi. We wouldn't have to keep adding wingers at the trade deadline if we had a young guy who can score.

I agree. Sooner or later, this does catch up with you.

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Exactly. This trade was made for the Pens to make a run now and insert the player in the lineup as soon as possible. Caputi may have taken many more seasons until he was a starter and that is not what Shero was looking for when it came to making a cup run now.

Caputi is scheduled to join the Leafs in Boston. So much for "taking many more seasons until he was a starter." The only reason the kid wasn't playing was because they insisted on putting Fedotenko out there every night even though he's struggled mightily this season. You're telling me they couldn't have gotten more than 9 goals out of Caputi this season playing with Malkin?

WH
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM

Exactly, if they get enough viewership on that show....the morons at FSN would have to be bigger morons to not even consider the idea.

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Caputi is scheduled to join the Leafs in Boston. So much for "taking many more seasons until he was a starter." The only reason the kid wasn't playing was because they insisted on putting Fedotenko out there every night even though he's struggled mightily this season. You're telling me they couldn't have gotten more than 9 goals out of Caputi this season playing with Malkin?

The point isn't that he is going to start for another team it's that he was not starting for the Pens. Sure he would have, but was he playing? No and I couldn't have saw him for a few seasons and Shero wants to win now and so does the team. If you have an elite team who has a great chance to win the cup, I say win it all now make deals later.

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Exactly. This trade was made for the Pens to make a run now and insert the player in the lineup as soon as possible.

That's life in the NHL. You have to keep moving forward.

You can't hoard picks and prospects while giving up established players in trades to fix holes on your team when you are nailed to the cap ceiling and your team is a player or two away of a winning Cup run.

Guys like Caputi exist to be traded for players that give you immediate results. This is how you keep a contender full of superstars going year to year. There will always be casualties to the cap.

Leopold and Poni are fresh faces that give the team a different look heading into the playoffs. Plus we are back to having 7 solid NHL defensemen, a necessity these days.

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
So the Skoula era has come to a close in Toronto. Man, we hardly knew you LMAO.

Turned out to be a 5th rounder in this year's draft. Damn, Lou must have been partying too hard last night :chuckle:

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
That's life in the NHL. You have to keep moving forward.

You can't hoard picks and prospects while giving up established players in trades to fix holes on your team when you are nailed to the cap ceiling and your team is a player or two away of a winning Cup run.

Guys like Caputi exist to be traded for players that give you immediate results. This is how you keep a contender full of superstars going year to year. There will always be casualties to the cap.

Leopold and Poni are fresh faces that give the team a different look heading into the playoffs. Plus we are back to having 7 solid NHL defensemen, a necessity these days.

Yupp and that has been Shero's output every season. We need to win now and bring in the guns who know the game, and can score goals and win you a championship, and at this time Caputi is not the answer. Poni can score and seeing him play along side Malkin makes me shiver knowing he can bring some good scoring.

Petesburgh66
03-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Turned out to be a 5th rounder in this year's draft. Damn, Lou must have been partying too hard last night :chuckle:

I am sure Burke was happy to get the draft pick instead of being stuck with another stiff. However, Burke has a few more stiffs to get rid, namely Lee Stempniak and Garnet Exelby in the next few hours for picks. Tomas Kaberle isn't going any where.

Caputi and 5th round pick for Poni sounds like a win for the Maple Leafs, considering Burke wasn't going to sign Poni anyways. Poni is not a Burke type player.

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Arrival delayed for Penguins' new winger

Wednesday, March 03, 2010
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Winger Alexi Ponikarovsky, obtained by the Penguins late Tuesday night in a trade with Toronto, will not be able to join his new team until at least Friday because of an immigration holdup.

That means Ponikarovsky will miss Thursday's road game against the New York Rangers. His first possible game with the Penguins will be Saturday afternoon at home against Dallas.

Ponikarovsky -- who was dealt for prospect Luca Caputi and defenseman Martin Skoula -- does not have the proper work visa to be based in the United States. While with Toronto, he was able to play games in the United States as a visiting team member. He is Ukrainian.

Meanwhile, center Sidney Crosby is not practicing with the club. He is being given a rest after a long run in the Olympics followed by playing Tuesday night in a 3-2 home win over Buffalo.

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
UH-oh - how does that jinx work again?

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2010/03/crosby_si_cover_lg.jpg

stlrtruck
03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
UH-oh - how does that jinx work again?

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2010/03/crosby_si_cover_lg.jpg

It means Canada will not win Gold in the next winter olympics.

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
It means Canada will not win Gold in the next winter olympics.

that's what I needed to hear

Poni and Malkin

http://thewhimsiad.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/snl-the-best-of-dan-ackroyd-20051019003351836.jpg

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Craig Adams - healthy scratch?

That's my bet

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Fedotanko - Malkin - Ponikarovsky
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Dupuis - Rupp - Talbot
Adams

Gonchar - Orpik
Eaton - Letang
Goligoski - Leopold
Mckee

Fleury
Johnson

X-Terminator
03-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I am sure Burke was happy to get the draft pick instead of being stuck with another stiff. However, Burke has a few more stiffs to get rid, namely Lee Stempniak and Garnet Exelby in the next few hours for picks. Tomas Kaberle isn't going any where.

Caputi and 5th round pick for Poni sounds like a win for the Maple Leafs, considering Burke wasn't going to sign Poni anyways. Poni is not a Burke type player.

Kaberle isn't going anywhere...yet. My money's on Burke trading him this summer, when he's free to trade him to any team. I'm sure there will be plenty of them lined up to offer a mint for him.

Yeah, I'd say the Leafs win this trade. They win the trade even if the Pens win the Cup just because of the impact it will have on the team's depth. If Shero drafts another winger with his 1st rounder, it'll take some of the sting off it, but still...the chance of having 3 legit wing prospects is better than 2. BTW, Kessel isn't a Burke-type player either, yet he gave up a lot to get him. But hey, someone has to put the puck in the net. He's been more inconsistent than Poni has, and he's making a hell of a lot more money...not to mention the fact that he was invisible during the entire Olympic tournament.

That's my bet

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Dupuis - Rupp - Talbot
Adams

Gonchar - Orpik
Eaton - Letang
Goligoski - Leopold
Mckee

Fleury
Johnson

Talbot and Adams will be HS based on the opponent. When the playoffs roll around, though, something tells me Talbot will be getting the bulk of the playing time. The rest of the lineup is spot-on, except Orpik has been playing with Letang and Gonchar has been with Eaton.

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 01:07 PM

That's my bet

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Dupuis - Rupp - Talbot
Adams

Gonchar - Orpik
Eaton - Letang
Goligoski - Leopold
Mckee

Fleury
Johnson

I like the look of that lineup. Adams has been a huge disappointment, but I guess he is not a goal scorer, but is huge for the Pens on the penalty kill.

OneForTheToe
03-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Yea, but Fedotenko is pretty solid in the playoffs. Hell, he even fights - sort of.:wink02: Granted, Fedotenko and even Talbot aren't guys that do a whole lot offensively during the season, but both are guys you want on the ice in the playoffs - especially Max. I would think we will see Talbot some on Geno's line come playoff time.

steelpride12
03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Pens aquire s 2010 6th Round Pick

Got the pick from Toronto in trade for Defense men Chris Peluso a Senior @ Bemidji State.

Ill take another player in the draft. :thumbsup:

No like, I got it from my Pens updates from their website on my phone.

HometownGal
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Yea, but Fedotenko is pretty solid in the playoffs. Hell, he even fights - sort of.:wink02: Granted, Fedotenko and even Talbot aren't guys that do a whole lot offensively during the season, but both are guys you want on the ice in the playoffs - especially Max. I would think we will see Talbot some on Geno's line come playoff time.

Exactly. :thumbsup: Tank and Max due a whole helluva lot more out on that ice than score goals. Sure, I'd love to see more scoring out of both of 'em, but they are good fits for the team and solid players that are crucial to this team's success, particularly in the playoff run.

I hated losing Luca, but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and look forward to seeing what Ponikarovsky can bring to the lineup. I have a feeling we aren't going to be disappointed. :hope:

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Ryan Whitney just got dealt to the Oilers.

Whitney still has three seasons remaining on the six-year, $24 million deal that Whitney signed with the Pens back in July of 2007.

Shea
03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Wow, busy couple days in Pens' land leads to a busy thread.

I heard that too, and was very disappointed in that lack of class and appreciation for one of our own - our captain! :shake02: I shouldn't be surprised, though - XT can tell you how many classless fans we encounter when we're at the games. Dollars to donuts sez these ignoramuses didn't even know that Pittsburgh had a hockey team until the 2005 season. :shake01:

I heard boos when Lindy Rupp's name was announced, too, which was just plain ignorant.

What I really loved, though, was hearing the loud cheers and applause when Ryan Miller's name was announced to the crowd and he seemed genuinely touched by his reaction from the runway. :applaudit: :hatsoff:

LETS GO PENS!

I also thought it was cool the Pens' fans showed some love for Miller and was surprised that Sid got the boo-birds.

I've also seen a fair amount of animosity shown towards Sid on the internet, and not at all for the first time, from staunch Geno fans in the form of "of course it had to be Sid :rolleyes:", irritated that Sid succeded and it had nothing to do with their country being beat but about the attention not being on Evgeni - hell some of these sentiments were coming from Canadian fans of the team.

Sad to see fans of the team pitting the two against each other instead of feeling fortunate that we have them both. Yes, Sid gets so much more attention but grow-up people and appreciate them both like I do.

steelerdude15
03-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah I'm happy to have both, plus Staal, Dupuis, Gonchar, and Fleury.

Shea
03-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Well it is a bitchin' name but don't demean people's points of view on losing him on that simple irrelevant, non-factoring issue.

Of course the Pens' fans around here aren't going to hold value due to a name and what's on the back of a player's jersey but on what they see on the ice and some are wondering what might be lossed with this guy being traded.

WH
03-04-2010, 04:00 AM
The same people that booed Sid are the people that wear Steelers Jersey's and bring Terrible Towels to Hockey games.

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 07:34 AM
The same people that booed Sid are the people that wear Steelers Jersey's and bring Terrible Towels to Hockey games.

Nice generalization. Maybe these folks aren't real hockey fans. :doh:

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/01/flower.jpg

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Or maybe they simply can't afford a hockey jersey - they're not cheap ya know? :noidea:

Fire Haley
03-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Well it is a bitchin' name but don't demean people's points of view

You are right - saying Caputi is skinny and weak on the boards and can't skate is what I should have said.

WH
03-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Mard Andre Fleury can get a pass, he's French Canadian, he doesn't know any better.

There were a group of obnoxious fans at the last Pens game I was at (Pens-Flyers November 2007), they sat behind me. All sporting their terrible towels and Steelers jersey's.....all of which yelled for ''That guy'' to be pulled because ''Hines Ward should be put in instead, because Hines Ward would be a better player'' and yelling for Renegade to be played between the Second and Third period. It drove me nuts.

Because of their poor behavior, all those other poor schmoes in Steelers gear at Pens games get generalized. I really should have gotten their first names though. Then 3 years later we could have avoided this go'round.

I really should learn to think ahead.
:coffee:

WH
03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Or maybe they simply can't afford a hockey jersey - they're not cheap ya know? :noidea:

I know, HTG, I had to sacrifice putting a name on mine in order to get one. It's insane how much they cost.

I can't decide if I want to leave it blank for 15 years in case my son plays hockey or until I learn to skate well enough to play in a pickup game.

X-Terminator
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, busy couple days in Pens' land leads to a busy thread.

I also thought it was cool the Pens' fans showed some love for Miller and was surprised that Sid got the boo-birds.

I've also seen a fair amount of animosity shown towards Sid on the internet, and not at all for the first time, from staunch Geno fans in the form of "of course it had to be Sid :rolleyes:", irritated that Sid succeded and it had nothing to do with their country being beat but about the attention not being on Evgeni - hell some of these sentiments were coming from Canadian fans of the team.

Sad to see fans of the team pitting the two against each other instead of feeling fortunate that we have them both. Yes, Sid gets so much more attention but grow-up people and appreciate them both like I do.

Yeah, there is a fan like that on another board I'm a member of - hockey-related. She is a staunch Geno fan and says she doesn't hate Sid, but is pissed because he gets all of the attention while Geno barely gets any. Like I told her and all of the other Crosby haters, don't blame him for all of the attention he gets, blame the NHL and the media hype machine. He didn't ask to be the face of the league, he didn't ask for a million microphones in his face every day and he didn't ask for his face to be plastered all over the internet. If you ask him, he'd probably tell you he'd rather stay out of the spotlight and just play hockey. Look at the reaction the media had during the Final last season, when Bylsma dared give Sid a day off from talking to the media. There was also a fan (another Malkin fan) who actually said that the Pens should consider trading Sid since he was struggling at the time and that it shows that Malkin clearly is the better player. And this was in November! There is a small but loud anti-Crosby, pro-Malkin crowd among Pens fans, and I just don't understand it. You're absolutely right - they should just be thankful that 2 of the best players in the world wear the Skating Penguin on their chests, and that they were instrumental in bringing us another championship.

I just saw on TV at the place I was eating about how Sid was booed but Miller was cheered for. Why do fans have to be like this? What did we expect Sid to do? Lose for his own country because he plays for a US Hockey team. So I should go and burn my jersey now? HELL NO!! I am VERY proud of our USA Hockey team and I am VERY proud of Sid because he just rocks for us and is a nice guy over all. SUCK IT FANS that booed Sid.

I was at the Philly airport yesterday and I was sitting by a lady from Canada. I turned and said congrats for having such an awesome Olympics. She said thanks and also said sorry for the other night. I replied and said why as I grabbed my laptop and showed her my Stanley Cup sticker. I said I am very proud of Sid and that is why I have his jersey. She then handed me the front page of the Ontario paper which had Sid on the whole front page. She said I could have it. That was awesome!! I then in turn reached in my suit jacket and pulled out a Pen's lottery ticket and said this is for you. She ended up winning $4. Memories are made!!

Like I said earlier, there were MANY Pens fans who felt that Sid shouldn't get any accolades and that the Americans should be the ones honored since of course this is America. Baloney. Sid is the captain of your team - show some respect and love for the man.

And that was an awesome story about the Canadian fan!

Mard Andre Fleury can get a pass, he's French Canadian, he doesn't know any better.

There were a group of obnoxious fans at the last Pens game I was at (Pens-Flyers November 2007), they sat behind me. All sporting their terrible towels and Steelers jersey's.....all of which yelled for ''That guy'' to be pulled because ''Hines Ward should be put in instead, because Hines Ward would be a better player'' and yelling for Renegade to be played between the Second and Third period. It drove me nuts.

Because of their poor behavior, all those other poor schmoes in Steelers gear at Pens games get generalized. I really should have gotten their first names though. Then 3 years later we could have avoided this go'round.

I really should learn to think ahead.
:coffee:

Dude, HTG and I deal with lunkheads like this all season. So I definitely feel your pain.

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Improving Rangers host Crosby and Penguins
Wednesday, 03.03.2010 / 9:24 PM
Dave Lozo - NHL.com Staff Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2009020942&navid=sb:preview

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/logos/small.pngPENGUINS (37-22-4) at http://cdn.nhl.com/rangers/images/logos/small.pngRANGERS (29-27-7)

Last 10 -- Pittsburgh 5-2-3; New York 5-5-0.

Season series -- This is the sixth and final meeting between the Atlantic Division foes. The Penguins won the first four matchups, but the Rangers came away with a 3-2 overtime win Feb. 12 in Pittsburgh.

Big story -- The Rangers went to the Olympic break playing well and returned from the layoff in the same fashion. They won two in a row before the two-week break, then scored four unanswered goals to beat the Senators in Ottawa on Tuesday. Meanwhile, the Penguins have loaded up for another Stanley Cup push, acquiring forward Alexei Ponikarovsky and defenseman Jordan Leopold in separate deals before the trade deadline.

Team Scope :

Penguins -- After going into the break losers of two straight, the Pens started the homestretch with a 3-2 win Tuesday in Buffalo. They did so with Marc Andre-Fleury getting the night off and an admittedly tired Sidney Crosby. Both players won gold medals with Team Canada at the Vancouver Olympics.

"It's not bad, [despite] going on a long flight and getting here and getting right back in the swing of things," Crosby said. "I'll try to manage my rest as we go along here, but I felt all right considering all that."

Rangers -- Down a goal on the road, the Rangers not only didn't crumble -- they stormed back behind U.S. Olympian Ryan Callahan's two goals.

"I think right when I jumped on the ice I was still competing at that speed and that level, and I found it helped me out a lot," said Callahan, who had one assist in six games at the Olympics. "I think that's one of the biggest things I tried to bring back, was not to have that sudden letdown where you don't keep your speed up and your game up, and I think that was one of the reasons I was successful (Tuesday)."

Who's hot -- Callahan started hot with his two-goal game, and goaltender Henrik Lundqvist stopped 24 of 25 shots against the Senators. … Penguins left wing Ruslan Fedotenko had a goal and an assist against the Sabres on Tuesday, and defenseman Sergei Gonchar also scored his 200th career goal in that win.

Injury report -- Penguins tough guy Eric Godard is still out with a groin injury. .. Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto (abdomen) may return tonight, but winger Marian Gaborik (leg) is questionable.

Stat pack -- The Rangers rank 18th in the NHL on the power play with an 18 percent success rate, but have a 22.7 percent success rate at home, fourth-best in the League.

Puck drop -- "He's a good, hard-working winger who drives to the net hard, he has good size, he's a good player. I feel like he's a good addition for us." -- Fedotenko, on Ponikarovsky.

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Fans that booed Crosby have no appreciation for the game and for the team itself.

He was representing his country and the highest possible level. And too boo your franchise player that was one of the players that turned the misfortunes of the franchise around to a forunate franchise to of picked him? Atrocious fans and should be ashamed of themselves. He's also the captain.

We never boo Joey Porter or Ron Woodson for winning that championship with the the Ratbirds

-- Also Chicago Booed Jonathan Toews.

Dissapointing fan support.

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
There were a group of obnoxious fans at the last Pens game I was at (Pens-Flyers November 2007), they sat behind me. All sporting their terrible towels and Steelers jersey's.....all of which yelled for ''That guy'' to be pulled because ''Hines Ward should be put in instead, because Hines Ward would be a better player'' and yelling for Renegade to be played between the Second and Third period. It drove me nuts.:

I can see your point there.
I just thought you had some problem with people wearing football jerseys to a hockey game. :noidea:

Although, one that kinda bugs me is when people wear other teams jerseys to a game they aren't even playing.
IE: Pens vs. Buffalo... Hmmm I'll wear my Leafs.

There is a small but loud anti-Crosby, pro-Malkin crowd among Pens fans, and I just don't understand it. You're absolutely right - they should just be thankful that 2 of the best players in the world wear the Skating Penguin on their chests, and that they were instrumental in bringing us another championship.

I don't get that either. I was one hoping to win that lottery to get him with the #1 that year. Because if we didn't, someone else would have.

That makes me think...what would have been if we got the #1 the year before with cap'n caveman instead of Malkin at #2, and no Crosby. Forget it. I don't want to think about it anymore.

The famous saying, "it's not the name on the back of the sweater, it's the name on the front"

or in WH's case... just the name on the front. :wink02: :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Tonight i predict:

Penguins 3 - 2 Rangers

Fire Haley
03-04-2010, 03:06 PM
DirecTV's Center Ice is running a free preview - games free for the rest of the week

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Wooo Pens tonight against the Rangers. Should be a hard hitting game, looking for a few fights tonight since the Rangers picked up a few scrappers! Lets take over the division again tonight since New Jersey is idle tonight. Lets Go Pens!

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
284th consecutive start for Jordan Staal wow he is a workhorse!

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:12 PM
1 to 0 Rangers off a massive wrist shot over Fluery's glove. That was Leopolds zone and a rusty Fluery.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Billy Guerin Scratched tonight hmmm interesting.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Awkward situation. Sid gets knocked over in the offensive zone, draws the penalty, and King Henry goes over and calls him a diver and Sid checks. So that gave the Pens a PP.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
GOOOOALLLL!!! The Pens second 5 on 3 goal of the season coming from Kunitz and still a PP left to go. 1 to 1. LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Cookie puts the Pens ahead 2-1! :banana: :applaudit: :banana:

Goal under review. Staal might get this one.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
GOOOOALLLL!!! Staal just throws the puck to the net and it either hits off Cooke or a Ranger. 2 to 1 Pens now! WOO!

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Oh no X-T is going to have a fit. Cooke was refusing to fight a Ranger. The Ranger wanted to go and asked Cooke, but nothing happened.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
2 to 2 just a nice goal on the Ranger PP and Drury on his knee's scores. Dogfight tonight Lets Go Pens!

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
This game has been really physical thus far - guys smacking the living shit out of each other along the boards. Lundqvist usually plays stellar against us and we have to keep going to the net every chance we can if we're going to come out of this with a W tonight.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
This game has been really physical thus far - guys smacking the living shit out of each other along the boards. Lundqvist usually plays stellar against us and we have to keep going to the net every chance we can if we're going to come out of this with a W tonight.

Agreed. Seems the Rangers wanted to get physical early and the Pens matched it nicely. Going to be a dog fight the rest of the night and just need to keep pounding the puck to the net. :drink:

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 06:51 PM
They're talking now about who is going to be sitting when Ponikarovsky joins the team - either Rupp or Adams. Adams is great on the PK and Rupp is really the only physical presence we have since Godard's been out. I wouldn't want to have to make that decision - both guys play important roles though neither has been lighting up the net with pucks as of late.

There's going to be one helluva fight before this game is over. Callahan just tried to stick Geno and Geno wasn't going to have any of that and smacked him with the stick right back. :applaudit: :hatsoff:

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
They're talking now about who is going to be sitting when Ponikarovsky joins the team - either Rupp or Adams. Adams is great on the PK and Rupp is really the only physical presence we have since Godard's been out. I wouldn't want to have to make that decision - both guys play important roles though neither has been lighting up the net with pucks as of late.

There's going to be one helluva fight before this game is over. Callahan just tried to stick Geno and Geno wasn't going to have any of that and smacked him with the stick right back. :applaudit: :hatsoff:

Ugh it's going to be one tough choice and both have their pro's and con's. Adams has 0 goals this season and I think only 8 assists. He is a 4th liner yes, but I expected more from him, but his play on the PK is key for this team. Rupp looking awesome early with 11 goals, but that is where he stands now and yes is one physical guy we need just watch his recent fight I saw in person! :thumbsup:

Malkin did the right thing there and defended himself after Callahan gave him a shot and got what he deserved. Need to keep shoot a lot to the net and we should be fine. GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Rangers score to make it 3 to 2 coming from Roseval who has 2 this season both on the Pens, and as expected Fluery is rusty.

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Me thinks either Cookie or Rupp is going to have to stir up some shit and bring some more energy. Rags came out hitting hard and the Pens need to answer.

OneForTheToe
03-04-2010, 07:19 PM
284th consecutive start for Jordan Staal wow he is a workhorse!

Don't jinx him. :wink02:

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Damn - we almost got one there. :banging: Geno is on fire right now. :banana:

We're gonna get 'em.

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey - anyone catch any commentary on when Ponikarovsky is going to play?

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Damn it!!! :banging: Dubinsky scores for the Rags - off the post and behind Fleury.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
4 to 2 Rangers. An unlucky bounce off the post off Fluery into the net shoot! It's early plenty of time to come back!

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Brent Johnson coming in. I feel badly for Fleury - he's just a bit rusty tonight.

Fire Haley
03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Pull Fleury, bench Sid.

They look like crap.

I'm going back to watching Caputi play against the Bruins.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
GOOOALLLLLL!!! A quick turnaround for the Pens and a nice goal from Mike Rupp his 12th of the season and cuts the lead 4 to 3 GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I never - ever - give up on our boyz of winter and I'm not giving up in this game either. :thumbsup:

LMAO!!!! Johnson's a beast. :laughing:

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I never - ever - give up on our boyz of winter and I'm not giving up in this game either. :thumbsup:

LMAO!!!! Johnson's a beast. :laughing:

Yes our boys will come back always have faith! :thumbsup:

Johnson is the man. He is saving this game!

OneForTheToe
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM

I read today he would play the next game. Is he at the game? I read he still had to clear up some immigration issues. Maybe he tried to sneak some Horilka across the border (hey I had to look that up). You know those crazy Ukrainians.

Fire Haley
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Nobody's giving up - Johnson is the MAN.

What's with all the cheap shots?

I hate the rags.

Luca is getting pushed around

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Visa issue. He should play Sat.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 08:07 PM
King Henry is all over Sid tonight, just chased him again jeez oh man.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Come on Pens. Over 40 shots, we will break him soon keep attacking!

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Woot. There ya go! tied it up.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!! 8 mins. left and GoGo just throws it to the net and it goes in! I believe Lets Go Pens!

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
and then take a penalty... grrrrrr

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
penguins shots on goal 48
rangers shots on goal 15

fleury played poor imo. very inconsistent

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Pens going on the PP in OT! GO PENS!

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Malkin draws the penalty with 3:15 in OT....

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Pingggg!

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Malkins sexy

SteelMember
SCOOOOORE Malkin!

EDIT: Scoring Change.
Staal gets credit with a deflection in front, with Geno and Gonch getting an assist.

Fire Haley
lol

rags suck

200 shots were enough

steelpride12
GOOOALLLLL!!! Game winner comes from Malkin with :03 seconds left on the OT PP to give the Pens a 5 to 4 win and the 1 point lead in the division.

SteelMember
03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
What a fight back from 2 goals down. :thumbsup:

To bad it took a hun'erd shots.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Wooo Pens Win Pens Win! Great game, they really came out and dominated all game long, a bummer Fluery played rusty, but that is expected and Johnson played lights out while the team gained over 50 shots on goal and finally broke King Henry.!

zulater
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Dominant performance, even though the score doesn't indicate so.

Fleury was rusty, no worry he'll be back on his game soon.

SteelCityMom
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I can't remember the last time the Pens had that many shots...55 total to their 16. I figured Fleury would be rusty having not played in over 2 weeks. He'll be back and pissed off for the next game though, so I expect a great performance.

X-Terminator
03-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Now even though I only got to watch the final 16+ minutes of the 3rd period and all of OT, you know I have something to say. How in the hell can you completely dominate a team, get 55 shots on goal and allow just one shot in the final 24 minutes of the game...and still need an OT PPG to win? I'll tell you why in three words...Marc-Andre Fleury. 4 goals allowed on only 10 shots? What the hell, man? I know he hasn't played a game in 18 days, but come on...the rust can't be THAT damn bad! It should have been an easy win, but instead they had to bust their asses just to tie and then win the game in OT. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I'll take the 2 points and (finally) the division lead.

BTW, Guerin was scratched due to back spasms. Must have spent too much time chugging back brewskis while he was on break. Those beer bottles are heavy! :chuckle:

As for who sits for Poni, it better not be Mike Rupp. He's the only bit of toughness the team has in the lineup. Sit Adams - even though he's a good grinder and PKer, we have plenty of guys who can kill penalties. Always lean toward having the extra toughness in the lineup. But knowing Bylsma, he'll rotate guys in and out depending on the opponent.

I can't remember the last time the Pens had that many shots...55 total to their 16. I figured Fleury would be rusty having not played in over 2 weeks. He'll be back and pissed off for the next game though, so I expect a great performance.

The 55 SOG is a franchise record in a road game.

steelpride12
03-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Now even though I only got to watch the final 16+ minutes of the 3rd period and all of OT, you know I have something to say. How in the hell can you completely dominate a team, get 55 shots on goal and allow just one shot in the final 24 minutes of the game...and still need an OT PPG to win? I'll tell you why in three words...Marc-Andre Fleury. 4 goals allowed on only 10 shots? What the hell, man? I know he hasn't played a game in 18 days, but come on...the rust can't be THAT damn bad! It should have been an easy win, but instead they had to bust their asses just to tie and then win the game in OT. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I'll take the 2 points and (finally) the division lead.

BTW, Guerin was scratched due to back spasms. Must have spent too much time chugging back brewskis while he was on break. Those beer bottles are heavy! :chuckle:

As for who sits for Poni, it better not be Mike Rupp. He's the only bit of toughness the team has in the lineup. Sit Adams - even though he's a good grinder and PKer, we have plenty of guys who can kill penalties. Always lean toward having the extra toughness in the lineup. But knowing Bylsma, he'll rotate guys in and out depending on the opponent.

I agree. I would have to dump Adams. He is a great PKer but yes can be replaced. He has 0 goals and 8 assists and even on the 4th line is not going to cut in on this team. Rupp now with 12 goals one tonight proves he can score and his toughest is just what this team needs!:thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM

While you are pretty much right, he could have done a lot better...keep in mind that even a great goalie like Brodeur was pulled from a regular season game (against Atlanta I think) because he let in the same amount of goals on about as many shots. And that wasn't even because of being rusty...it was just bad play. It happens. I'm glad the guys busted their asses for him though, he'll surely pay back the favor in full in the near future I'm sure.

Awesome...did not know that. Had it been nearly any other goalie then Lundqvist that game would have been a complete blowout.

Shea
03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
We win. :banana:

Crazy differential between SOG but Fleury had an off night, but he'll bounce back.

Yeah, there is a fan like that on another board I'm a member of - hockey-related. She is a staunch Geno fan and says she doesn't hate Sid, but is pissed because he gets all of the attention while Geno barely gets any. Like I told her and all of the other Crosby haters, don't blame him for all of the attention he gets, blame the NHL and the media hype machine. He didn't ask to be the face of the league, he didn't ask for a million microphones in his face every day and he didn't ask for his face to be plastered all over the internet. If you ask him, he'd probably tell you he'd rather stay out of the spotlight and just play hockey. Look at the reaction the media had during the Final last season, when Bylsma dared give Sid a day off from talking to the media. There was also a fan (another Malkin fan) who actually said that the Pens should consider trading Sid since he was struggling at the time and that it shows that Malkin clearly is the better player. And this was in November! There is a small but loud anti-Crosby, pro-Malkin crowd among Pens fans, and I just don't understand it. You're absolutely right - they should just be thankful that 2 of the best players in the world wear the Skating Penguin on their chests, and that they were instrumental in bringing us another championship.

Exactly, and the occasional fan that pops up, from time to time, thinking we should trade Sid amazes me. I've yet to come across someone suggesting the same for Geno, but I'm sure it will happen one day. :doh:

And I remember that during the finals. I also remember Brooks being asked by an irritated media member why Crosby wasn't made available and Brooks himself became irritated and pointed out that Sid had met with media late in the afternoon the previous day, and what more could he have offerred up by coming in the next morning other then to tell them what he ate for breakfast.

Orpik often has some good stuff flyin out his mouth. :chuckle:

Shea
03-04-2010, 11:10 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/sco.jpg

Childish? Yes

Yet still entertaining? Yes! :chuckle:

WH
03-05-2010, 04:09 AM
You're 2 time MVP. I'm a Champion, bitch.

WH
03-05-2010, 04:11 AM
If Malkin's English were better, he'd be interviewed more.

I didn't get to watch the game last night, hell...I don't get to watch many games. But, looking at the BoxScore I have to ask...why did Sidney only have 3 SOG?? Was he being ridden by someone or was he in pass-mode? MAF, boohbee.....WTF?

It's great to see that the Pens have great depth at Goal. Johnson and Curry can both spell MAF anyday of the week (except the playoffs).

Lookin' forward to Saturday, I might be able to look at the game. The Pens always have great games against the Stars.

I hope the new 3rd Jersey's next year give a should out to the Civic Arena. Even a little patch on the shoulder would be nice.

I would assume that they aren't going to blow up the Igloo? Maybe Demolish is slowly? I would love to see them cut up and sell the metal from the roof donate the proceeds to the Lemieux foundation?I would assume they will also sell the seats. Hey HTG/XT you might be able to enjoy those from your own home! Ooooh! Maybe I could bid on that Column I always had to sit behind in Section F. We had a special relationship.....f'n column:mad:

HometownGal
03-05-2010, 06:26 AM
If Malkin's English were better, he'd be interviewed more.

I didn't get to watch the game last night, hell...I don't get to watch many games. But, looking at the BoxScore I have to ask...why did Sidney only have 3 SOG?? Was he being ridden by someone or was he in pass-mode? MAF, boohbee.....WTF?

It's great to see that the Pens have great depth at Goal. Johnson and Curry can both spell MAF anyday of the week (except the playoffs).

Lookin' forward to Saturday, I might be able to look at the game. The Pens always have great games against the Stars.

I hope the new 3rd Jersey's next year give a should out to the Civic Arena. Even a little patch on the shoulder would be nice.

I would assume that they aren't going to blow up the Igloo? Maybe Demolish is slowly? I would love to see them cut up and sell the metal from the roof donate the proceeds to the Lemieux foundation?I would assume they will also sell the seats. Hey HTG/XT you might be able to enjoy those from your own home! Ooooh! Maybe I could bid on that Column I always had to sit behind in Section F. We had a special relationship.....f'n column:mad:

I think Geno's command of the English language has greatly improved since he came to the Burgh and a lot of that improvement can be attributed to Serg. Geno lived with Serg and his wife for quite a while before he bought his own place last year.

What an awesome game last night! :banana: :applaudit: Though Lundvqist stood on his handsome little head, the Pens prevailed. :thumbsup: I got off the comp midway through the 3rd as I didn't want to miss a single second of this one, as I knew they were going to come back and get the win! This team is just soooo exciting!

XT and I will definitely attend the auction and try to get our seats. It's going to be a really sad day for me when the arena is demolished, as there are so many memories in that old barn for me. :crying01: We don't know yet where our seats will be in the Consol Energy Center but we should know in the next couple of months.

LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
03-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I know some are needing to know - so here's your Luca Caputi scouting report

I watched some of the Leafs game too - just to see him get his first start there. He looked pretty good skating around, but got pushed off the puck a number of times on the boards.

Looked like he played their 4th line and got an assist in the tying goal to send their game to OT. He had a breakaway chance from the blueline, only he was too slow and got caught from behind by two guys, but on that team he looked pretty solid. The Leafs didn't use him in the shootout and lost the game... the End.

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Staal's OT goal lifts Pens to 5-4 win over Rangers
Thursday, 03.04.2010 / 11:32 PM
Dave Lozo - NHL.com Staff Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020942&navid=sb:recap

NEW YORK -- On a night when Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist stood on his head, the Pittsburgh Penguins saved their best for last.

Jordan Staal scored his second goal of the game with 1:18 left in overtime to give the Pens a 5-4 victory at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday in a game that saw Pittsburgh erase a two-goal deficit.

Staal's winner was the Penguins' 55th shot on goal. Lundqvist's 50 saves -- many of which were spectacular -- were a career-high in the regular season.

The victory moved Pittsburgh past New Jersey into first place in the Atlantic Division with 80 points. The Devils have 79 but have two games in hand.

The Penguins entered the third period trailing 4-3, but Alex Goligoski's bad-angled goal ricocheted past Lundqvist with 8:01 to tie the score. To say the Rangers were dominated in the third period would be an understatement -- the Pens had a 19-1 advantage in shots on goal.

That domination continued in overtime, where the Pens had all four shots. Staal's game-winner was a deft redirection off a point blast by Evgeni Malkin that found its way past Lundqvist. The goal came just as a Penguins' power play was expiring and Rangers defenseman Wade Redden was stepping out of the penalty box.

"Lundqvist played very well tonight; lots of saves," Malkin said.

Lundqvist's effort wasn't completely wasted -- the Rangers picked up a point by surviving until overtime. And in that third period, "survival" was the operative word.

"Hank was outstanding for us tonight," Rangers coach John Tortorella said. "We will look at some things -- what we did good, what we did wrong. At the end of the night, we grabbed a point out of here. Although it was an ugly one, it is a point."

It was two big points for the Penguins, who looked like they were going to leave MSG with nothing midway through the second period. The Rangers owned a 4-2 lead and had chased Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, who allowed those four goals on just 12 shots in his first game since Feb. 14.

Brent Johnson was perfect -- although not that busy -- in relief. He stopped four shots during 30:53 of ice time and gave the Penguins a chance to come back.

"That's a pretty good example of how we want to play the game," said Pens coach Dan Bylsma, talking about his team's 55 shots and physical brand of hockey that yielded 50 hits. "You'd like to tilt the ice so it's 70/30 and wear teams down. Maybe they get a power-play goal, maybe you find yourself in a situation where you are down by two, but when we kept playing that way, the feeling in our dressing room was (winning) was going to be inevitable."

Despite the huge disparity in shots (55-16), it looked as though the Rangers were going to find a way to steal two points.

Artem Anisimov opened the scoring for the Rangers by ripping a wrist shot over Fleury's catching glove 2:17 into the game. The Pens answered back with goals by Chris Kunitz and Staal, but Chris Drury tied the score at 2-2 with pretty power-play goal with 5:21 left in the period.

Drury gathered the puck while on his knees near the crease and with his back to Fleury. He spun to his backhand whipped a shot past a surprised Fleury, who looked every bit like a goalie who hadn't played in nearly three weeks.

"It was just a real nice play by Olli (Jokinen) and a good shot from (Michael) Del Zotto," Drury said of how the puck found its way onto his stick. "I was just able to scoop up the rebound that actually hit me. I'm just glad I found a hole."

The Rangers looked like they were in the driver's seat when Michal Rozsival and Brandon Dubinsky made it 4-2 in the second period, but Mike Rupp pulled the Penguins back to within a goal with 5:37 left in the period, setting the stage for an all-out assault during the third period that yielded the Pens their second straight win after the Olympic break.

One bright spot for the Rangers was how well they played without leading scorer Marian Gaborik. Not including his four minutes of ice time against the Penguins on Feb. 12, Gaborik has missed New York's last five games with leg and groin injuries.

But even without their leading scorer, the Rangers are averaging 3.4 goals-per-game in his absence. Entering Thursday's game, the Rangers were averaging just 2.49 goals per game, good for 27th in the League.

X-Terminator
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Did anyone see this? Another accusation of diving by Sid. You know I love the kid and his incredible will to win, and own 2 of his jerseys...but he does tend to embellish calls quite a bit. I don't know why he does it, because he doesn't need to, not with his other-worldly talent and drive:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=520207

While attempting to circle behind the Rangers net without the puck, Crosby was cross-checked to the ice by Staal, who was headed to the penalty box for the infraction. After the whistle blew and before Crosby could get up, Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist skated over and said something to the Penguins captain, who cross-checked Lundqvist -- and that set off the fireworks.

Brandon Dubinsky jumped into the mix and nailed Crosby, and everyone on the ice piled into the scrum near the glass.

Staal received two minutes for the original cross-check, Dubinsky got two minutes for roughing, and Crosby picked up two minutes for cross-checking Lundqvist.

Lundqvist believed Crosby was embellishing the hit and milking it by staying down too long. Crosby said it was anything but a dive, and he was upset that Lundqvist left his crease to confront him about it.

"When guys talk on the ice, I'd like to leave it there," Crosby said after the Penguins earned a 5-4 victory. "I didn't like the fact that he came over. I thought that it wasn't right. I got a good cross-check in the ribs that didn't feel too good and the last thing I expected was him standing over me. I let him know how I feel. And I'm sure if he wants to tell you that's up to him, but I'd rather keep that to myself. I don't think there's any point in really starting that.

"But I was surprised and I didn't like it."

Lundqvist didn't hold back when asked if he thought Crosby took a dive.

"Yeah," said Lundqvist, who threw his arms over his head as if to give a visual example of what he was talking about. "He went up with his arms and really played it out and I told him to stand up. But he's a great player and obviously refs are going to be hard on that. And refs need to make sure star players are protected. But I don't think you should use it though."

When asked if he had seen this from Crosby in the past, Lundqvist said, "Arms up in the air? Yeah, I've seen it a bunch of times. I think I've seen it in so many games that I got a little frustrated."

It appeared on replays that the hit was plenty hard enough to knock down Crosby, who didn't seem prepared to absorb the blow. Lundqvist clearly felt otherwise.

SteelCityMom
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, Crosby embellishes at times....but really, who doesn't? The only reason he gets so much crap for it is because of who he is and because he used to do it a lot when he was a rookie. Besides, it wasn't like he wasn't hit at all and fell down (Captain Caveman style), he just made sure the ref knew he got interfered with.

THIS is diving....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/htQ08UDeX4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/htQ08UDeX4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

X-Terminator
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah, Crosby embellishes at times....but really, who doesn't? The only reason he gets so much crap for it is because of who he is and because he used to do it a lot when he was a rookie. Besides, it wasn't like he wasn't hit at all and fell down (Captain Caveman style), he just made sure the ref knew he got interfered with.

Which is embellishing the call. Yeah, I know just about every player has done it at one time or another, and I agree that Crosby gets more flak for it because of who he is, but I still wish he wouldn't do it at all. If the referee was going to make the call anyway, then what's the point?

zulater
03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Which is embellishing the call. Yeah, I know just about every player has done it at one time or another, and I agree that Crosby gets more flak for it because of who he is, but I still wish he wouldn't do it at all. If the referee was going to make the call anyway, then what's the point?

What makes you think he embellished that cross check last night? No question it was a legit call, and only Sid and Staal knows how much force was behind the hit. And Staal didn't whine about the call or Sid's reaction to it until after his goalie got involved.

Personally I was hoping Cooke would run Lundquist later in the game so Sid could stand over him afterwards and ask what he's doing laying in a heap? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
What makes you think he embellished that cross check last night? No question it was a legit call, and only Sid and Staal knows how much force was behind the hit. And Staal didn't whine about the call or Sid's reaction to it until after his goalie got involved.

Personally I was hoping Cooke would run Lundquist later in the game so Sid could stand over him afterwards and ask what he's doing laying in a heap? :chuckle:

I haven't seen the play in question, so I don't really have an opinion on it. Like I said in my other post, Sid does have a history of embellishing calls, so the accusation isn't exactly something new. It's something that I've wanted to see him get away from as he matured. When I actually see it, then I'll be able to make a call one way or the other. However, Marc Staal not complaining about it tells me that Lundqvist probably overreacted.

EDIT: I've finally seen the play, and I don't know what the big deal was. Staal cross-checked him right in the ribs and he went right down - there wasn't this "flailing of arms" that Lundqvist was alluding to. Even the announcers didn't think it was a dive - and they were Rangers announcers from MSG Network, which Versus used for its game feed last night. Maybe he stayed down a little long, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty. Mountain, meet molehill.

SteelCityMom
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I haven't seen the play in question, so I don't really have an opinion on it. Like I said in my other post, Sid does have a history of embellishing calls, so the accusation isn't exactly something new. It's something that I've wanted to see him get away from as he matured. When I actually see it, then I'll be able to make a call one way or the other. However, Marc Staal not complaining about it tells me that Lundqvist probably overreacted.

I can't find just the highlight of the penalty, but here's the game highlights. The penalty Sid drew is at about :40. Watching it again, he does look like he was hit with some force, but I still don't think it's inconceivable that he would embellish a bit to make sure that they get on the PP.

Edit: Nevermind, I found just the penalty play.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSRGyeS44zA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSRGyeS44zA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

stlrtruck
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
It was awesome to finally watch a 'Guins game on TV although VS was using the MSG feed.

The one thing I hated about last night was the call in OT. I thought that was such a ticky tack foul especially after watching the crapitals and sabres game the night before when it seemed the refs let them play a little more hockey!

If they continue to make calls and then not make calls like this, they are going to ruin the playoffs!

X-Terminator
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
See my post edit, SCM. But from your clip, the referee's arm was already up when Crosby went down, so the penalty was already going to be called and it was the correct call. And like I said, he wasn't flailing his arms around, it was a legitimate cross-check to the ribs, where there really isn't much protection. So IMO Lundqvist overreacted and Crosby didn't dive.

X-Terminator
03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
It was awesome to finally watch a 'Guins game on TV although VS was using the MSG feed.

The one thing I hated about last night was the call in OT. I thought that was such a ticky tack foul especially after watching the crapitals and sabres game the night before when it seemed the refs let them play a little more hockey!

If they continue to make calls and then not make calls like this, they are going to ruin the playoffs!

It was a ticky-tack call, but they've been calling that consistently over the past 4 seasons. You get your stick in a player's hands, even if you don't cause him to lose the puck, it's a penalty, period. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. They do let more of that go in the playoffs, but they still call it too often for my liking.

SteelCityMom
03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
See my post edit, SCM. But from your clip, the referee's arm was already up when Crosby went down, so the penalty was already going to be called and it was the correct call. And like I said, he wasn't flailing his arms around, it was a legitimate cross-check to the ribs, where there really isn't much protection. So IMO Lundqvist overreacted and Crosby didn't dive.

Yeah, have to agree with you on that. After watching a couple of different replays, it doesn't look like he embellished at all. And like you said, even the Rangers announcers felt it was a crosscheck and a good penalty. Lundqvist is just butt hurt from not even medaling I think lol.

WH
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
You can't imagine how many people here were whining about him today. It was on the 2nd page of the Aftonbladet (Sweden's USA today). ''Oh he hit Henrik''. All I said was ''Henrik should shut the F up and stay in his crease.''

He was probably even more pissed when Sid and Brooks asked him where his medal was.

It's seriously awesome rubbing this Crosby stuff in these people's noses.

HometownGal
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
All I said was ''Henrik should shut the F up and stay in his crease.''

Bingo. My question is - why the hell wasn't Lundqvist given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty? The ref was standing right there - surely he heard Henrik yapping at Sid. Lundqvist must have sniffed some glue before the game - he was hallucinating that Sid was waving his arms. :screwy:

While I'm not a big fan of the dive, it's part of the game now and many of the top guns in the league do it. Hell - Schmetzky was the master of the dive to draw penalties back in the day and so did Mario on occasion. I do not believe Sid dived last night, as I watched the game from start to finish and clearly saw what Staal did to him.

zulater
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Bingo. My question is - why the hell wasn't Lundqvist given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty? The ref was standing right there - surely he heard Henrik yapping at Sid. Lundqvist must have sniffed some glue before the game - he was hallucinating that Sid was waving his arms. :screwy:

While I'm not a big fan of the dive, it's part of the game now and many of the top guns in the league do it. Hell - Schmetzky was the master of the dive to draw penalties back in the day and so did Mario on occasion. I do not believe Sid dived last night, as I watched the game from start to finish and clearly saw what Staal did to him.

Mario was as good a diver as there ever was, but he was also brutalized quite often where it went completely unnoticed and/ or ignored, so I think diving became sort of a self defense mechanism.

SteelCityMom
03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Well...I'm eating my words. So much for Fleury coming back with a strong game. Stars up 3-1 early in the 2nd. Not sure what's up with Flower, but he needs to wake up. I know he's better than this.

Fire Haley
03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Fleury is a mess.

Pull him

SteelCityMom
03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Fleury is a mess.

Pull him

Well, no sooner than I typed that and he totally robs a Star for a goal.

Kunitz scores his 10th of the season from Crosby and Letang to cut the lead down to one before the Fleury save. Hopefully he's ok for the rest of the game.

SteelCityMom
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Woot! Dupuis scores on an assist from Letang to even it up!

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Woot! Dupuis scores on an assist from Letang to even it up!

dam, looks like i missed a lot. I leave its 1-0 Pens, i get back its 3-3! Good thing im recording it.

Fire Haley
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
It's a fun little game - I'm listening to the Stars announcers - they are dogging Malkin for dogging it

SteelCityMom
03-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Nice...Crosby scores to put the Pens up 4-3 and is now the leading goal scorer in the league.

Adams and Ott going at it now...Adams made Ott bleed his own blood. :chuckle:

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Nice...Crosby scores to put the Pens up 4-3 and is now the leading goal scorer in the league.

Adams and Ott going at it now...Adams made Ott bleed his own blood. :chuckle:

No one makes Steve Ott bleed Steve Ott's blood but Steve Ott.

now we got to kill a 5 on 3 on clean ice, great

SteelCityMom
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
No one makes Steve Ott bleed Steve Ott's blood but Steve Ott.

now we got to kill a 5 on 3 on clean ice, great

Uggghhhh I know, and with Staal in the box. I get the most nervous when he's in the box for a 5 on 4 as it is.

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Uggghhhh I know, and with Staal in the box. I get the most nervous when he's in the box for a 5 on 4 as it is.

same, a long reach like he has is so important when your two man down.

steelpride12
03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Wooo Yes a Short handed goal from Sid from a nice pass from Staal shorthanded giving him his second of the night making it 4 straight goal for the Pens 5 to 3!

steelpride12
03-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Fluery really saved this game after giving up the goals early and made a huge stop from making the game more out of reach and the Pens have attacked for four straight goals! Devils lost so lets really start making a run to keep the lead in the division! Lets Go Pens!

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Fluery really saved this game after giving up the goals early and made a huge stop from making the game more out of reach and the Pens have attacked for four straight goals! Devils lost so lets really start making a run to keep the lead in the division! Lets Go Pens!

Thats right, its not how you start its how you finish and Fleury has come huge after his bad start

steelpride12
03-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Thats right, its not how you start its how you finish and Fleury has come huge after his bad start

After a bad loss Fluery always come out and has a good game and other than the first period he has played lights out and made 3+ great saves to keep this lead to two great job Fluery!:thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Fleury is a mess.

Pull him

You were saying?

He's played stellar in the net since giving up those 3 goals and the Pens have answered with plenty of offense.

A little under 10 to go and the Pens have a two goal lead. :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 02:22 PM
You were saying?

He's played stellar in the net since giving up those 3 goals and the Pens have answered with plenty of offense.

A little under 10 to go and the Pens have a two goal lead. :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

exactly, i finally saw all the goals during the 2nd intermission and they really didnt look like Fleury's fault. There isnt much a goalie can door when the defense leaves a player wide open back door, not just once but twice

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Looks like Fleury is in the zone, just made a save sitting on his behind after he got knocked down

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Poni with his first as a Pen!!!!

steelpride12
03-06-2010, 02:30 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! To seal the game his first as a Pen on the PP The Poni Express to give the Pens a 6 to 3 win and Rupp Spanks Barts in a brawl beautiful!

SteelCityMom
03-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Very nice PP goal by Poni!

And Rupp has to lay the smack down on a fool again.

HometownGal
03-06-2010, 02:31 PM
The new Russian hottie scores off of a deflection from a Serg bullet! Pens up 6-3! :banana:

Rupp kicking the living shit out of Barch - LMAO!!! :laughing: Rupp is one tough customer. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
The Poni is exactly what this team needed - he cherrypicks with the best of 'em! :thumbsup: :applaudit:

pittsburghp8baller
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
great win by the Pens today, now back off to bed so i can a few more hours sleep for work tonight.

zulater
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
The Poni is exactly what this team needed - he cherrypicks with the best of 'em! :thumbsup: :applaudit:

I liked the way he had himself planted in front of the net. :thumbsup: He'll get a lot of goals with this team if he ca keep himself planted there enough.

And nice to see Marc Andre come back and play such a strong game. anyone who thinks the Pens can win a Cup without him in net is kidding themselves.

Fire Haley
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM
You were saying?

Boston tomorrow - they were just playing with them today.

good to see Fleury finally wake up from his Vancouver nap

HometownGal
03-06-2010, 03:21 PM
I liked the way he had himself planted in front of the net. :thumbsup: He'll get a lot of goals with this team if he ca keep himself planted there enough.

And nice to see Marc Andre come back and play such a strong game. anyone who thinks the Pens can win a Cup without him in net is kidding themselves.

Absolutely. :thumbsup: At 6'4" and 230 lbs. - who is going to move him? :applaudit:

MAF is being interviewed now and he is such a humble kid! He's not only one helluva goalkeeper, he's just adorable as a person. :hatsoff: Though we have a very solid backup in Johnson, I agree - we don't win another Cup without The Flower. :drink:

X-Terminator
03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Let's give it up for your Pittsburgh Penguins - they have won 3 games in a row for the first time since before Christmas! :applaudit: :thumbsup::wink02:

steelpride12
03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Absolutely. :thumbsup: At 6'4" and 230 lbs. - who is going to move him? :applaudit:

MAF is being interviewed now and he is such a humble kid! He's not only one helluva goalkeeper, he's just adorable as a person. :hatsoff: Though we have a very solid backup in Johnson, I agree - we don't win another Cup without The Flower. :drink:

True that. I give this one to Fluery for making the key saves to keep the Pens only down 2 until they came back! He always answers after a poor performance and for sure did today, great job and to Poni for his first goal as a Pens, he is going to be very impressive and a great fit for our cup run! :thumbsup:

Shea
03-06-2010, 05:42 PM

I adore Flower. He's got a cute little personality, and never gets down which is so important for a goalie.

I love him!

Let's give it up for your Pittsburgh Penguins - they have won 3 games in a row for the first time since before Christmas! :applaudit: :thumbsup::wink02:

No kidding. I never thought I'd see another winning streak this year. :shake01:

Let's make if 4 straight W's tomorrow! :tt03:

Shea
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Forgot to add - welcome to the team, Poni! It's probably difficult to come to a new organization and do well right off the bat, yet he did just that. I'm looking forward to watching what becomes of him and this trade.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/apjs.jpg

Never noticed the Pens' logo on Jordan's mouthpiece before. Kinda cool. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Forgot to add - welcome to the team, Poni! It's probably difficult to come to a new organization and do well right off the bat, yet he did just that. I'm looking forward to watching what becomes of him and this trade.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/apjs.jpg

I'd like to welcome him to the team in a very special way. :naughty: :wink: :chuckle:

His specialty is standing at the net and blocking the goaltender's view and he did that today very well. He stated in his post-gamer that Lehtonen never saw the puck and had Serg's shot not been wide, Serg would have had the goal. I think this guy is going to be a tremendous asset to the team, especially in the playoffs. :thumbsup: He must feel like a kid in a candy shoppe coming to the Pens from the Leafs!

Fire Haley
03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Push to save Mellon Arena is on

(wpxi)

PITTSBURGH -- The fight to save Mellon Arena from the wrecking ball is on.

The Allegheny County Sports and Exhibition Authority is talking with historians, economists and the Pittsburgh Penguins to see if the nearly 50-year-old arena can be reused.

The Penguins, who move to a new arena next year, want to demolish Mellon Arena and build apartments and shops there.

But some people want to reuse the building, possibly turning into a park and shopping center.

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Good read on the arena Killer. Not sure where I stand. Of course I want it to stay and be used as a historic landmark I mean its been there for nearly 50 years and hosted all the games, events, and even Sudden Death the movie, which I loved!

Game time today 3:00 against the Bruins at home. Looks like Fluery will play again today keep him hot and playing well like he did after the first period yesterday. Let's make this 4 games in a row and keep taking over the division! Lets Go Pens!:thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I need the Pens to keep on winning to keep me away from Steelers off-season mumbo jumbo.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Kind of a slow game so far. I counted one sequence where a Pens players pass went off or through a stick 4 straight plays. Not playing poorly, however. Great penalty killing. We just need to get one in and I think we will be fine.

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 03:03 PM
ugh 4th straight PP for the Bruins. They are not doing much on the PP, but we can't keep giving up these penalties and also Poni got a bad cut on the hand and did not return to the bench, and Staal got a slap shot to the leg and was hurt bad. Goal Bruins 1 to 0

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
GOOALLLLLLL!! Pens playing to the whistle and Dupuis with a quick wrap around and he kept smacking until the puck went pass Thomas! 1 to 1 GO PENS!

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Looked better this period. Still, not crisp. Maybe credit to the beans.

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 03:56 PM
GOOALLLL!!! Malkin flying down the ice fakes a pass and shoots it past the glove of Thomas and gives the Pens a clutch 2 to 1 lead early in the third! GO PENS!

Assist from Poni giving him 2 points in two games and he was in great position with Malkin on that goal, I love what he is bringing and the chemistry with Malkin so early.

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Oh No Great win for the Pens a real gritty dirty game for sure and great to see Malkin win it and Poni pick up another point, but Cooke with that hit ugh. I smell a 2 to 4 game suspension easily hitting Savard from behind elbow to the head they won't take that lightly.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh No Great win for the Pens a real gritty dirty game for sure and great to see Malkin win it and Poni pick up another point, but Cooke with that hit ugh. I smell a 2 to 4 game suspension easily hitting Savard from behind elbow to the head they won't take that lightly.

He should be suspended. I don't know that it was intentional, but he did stick out his elbow. I'd say two to four is fair considering it was a blow to the noggin.

X-Terminator
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
He should be suspended. I don't know that it was intentional, but he did stick out his elbow. I'd say two to four is fair considering it was a blow to the noggin.

Yes, it was a blow to the head, but it was NOT an elbow. There have been many similar hits like this that have gone unpunished, the most glaring being Richards on Booth. But because it's Matt Cooke, and his reputation sucks, you can bet your ass he'll be suspended, and I will call it complete BS. And this is coming from someone who is not a fan of Cooke whatsoever.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes, it was a blow to the head, but it was NOT an elbow. There have been many similar hits like this that have gone unpunished, the most glaring being Richards on Booth. But because it's Matt Cooke, and his reputation sucks, you can bet your ass he'll be suspended, and I will call it complete BS. And this is coming from someone who is not a fan of Cooke whatsoever.

IDK, I'd have to see it again. I thought I saw him stick out his left elbow as he made contact. I didn't record the game so I will have to find it on the web.

Fire Haley
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Great game. Lots of chances, Fluery looking godlike again.

Cooke had the semi-dirty hit, he hit late with the shoulder

ref said "he was just finishing the check" - that's why there was no penalty

Watch for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1vJrIAg-0

X-Terminator
03-07-2010, 07:53 PM
IDK, I'd have to see it again. I thought I saw him stick out his left elbow as he made contact. I didn't record the game so I will have to find it on the web.

That was on the follow-through - his shoulder made all of the impact. It was a head shot, but still a legal hit by the rules. I didn't much care for his post-game comments though - he pretty much shrugged it off like it was nothing, which again points to the reason why I dislike him so much. At least say that you didn't intend to hurt Savard and wish him well even if you think you were just finishing your check.

OneForTheToe
03-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Great game. Lots of chances, Fluery looking godlike again.

Cooke had the semi-dirty hit, he hit late with the shoulder

ref said "he was just finishing the check" - that's why there was no penalty

Watch for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1vJrIAg-0

OK, it was his shoulder and not his elbow. However, I still think he raised his shoulder to make the hit. Ether way, with his rep, as XT said he will probably get a few games off.

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Ahh your right XT shoulder not elbow that for sure makes a difference when it comes to punishment, which their might not be any and I agree there should not be one. Cooke felt bad he didn't mean to cause that damage and im just happy we got out of there with a win!

Shea
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't know guys ..... it kinda looks like a dirty hit to me. He seems to be looking at Savard the whole time before he slams his shoulder into the side of his head.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of this.

Didn't see Cooke's interview but I'm disappointed that he couldn't have offered up some well wishes and kind words as XT expressed as well. Seeing his face and demeanor while they were attending to Savard, only puzzles me more as to why he didn't extend himself towards the guy he injured during his interview.

Still nice to see the winning streak continue and now there are three days off before the guys hit the road to play the Canes and then the next night .......... Brodeur. :nervous:

steelpride12
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't know guys ..... it kinda looks like a dirty hit to me. He seems to be looking at Savard the whole time before he slams his shoulder into the side of his head.

Didn't see Cooke's interview but I'm disappointed that he couldn't have offered up some well wishes and kind words as XT expressed as well. Seeing his face and demeanor while they were attending to Savard, only puzzles me more as to why he didn't extend himself towards the guy he injured during his interview.

Still nice to see the winning streak continue and now there are three days off before the guys hit the road to play the Canes and then the next night .......... Brodeur. :nervous:

Hey I agree. I mean Cooke surely could have expressed himself in a better manner, but I guess that is just not him to do so. Either way his reputation will land him a suspension how long we will have to see!

Its time to snap the streak against the Devils I believe! :hug:

Shea
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Its time to snap the streak against the Devils I believe! :hug:

Amen! :tt03:
That sneaky son of a bitch in goal has been kicking our ass this year. :bash:

Time to change that.

Fire Haley
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Debbils just got shut out by the Oiliers.

They looked tired and slow.

Shea
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
No Caputi updates today, Killer??

I'm disappointed. :shake01:

X-Terminator
03-07-2010, 10:10 PM

You can call it dirty...lots of people have...but if you go by the book, it was a legal hit. He had his elbow tucked in, led with his shoulder and he never left his feet throughout the hit. It was just unfortunate that he nailed Savard in the head from his blind side. Everything else was perfectly fine. But given that he's already been suspended this season for his head-high hit on the Rangers' Artem Anisimov earlier this season (which I felt WAS a dirty and illegal hit) and would be his 3rd suspendable offense in less than a year (he got a 2-game suspension last season for elbowing Scott Walker, then with Carolina, in the head) I suspect he will get a minimum 4-game suspension. That is not good news for a team that already has Bill Guerin on the shelf due to back spasms. Cooke's reaction on the ice and after the game, though, was vintage Matt Cooke. He simply has no remorse for anyone who gets in his path. As far as he's concerned, he's going to finish his checks, and if someone gets hurt, then tough noogies. Again, this attitude is part of the reason why I don't like him and why he is one of the most hated players in the league.

Speaking of Brodeur, the Devils did us a favor and got shut out tonight by Edmonton, the worst team in the league. So the Pens maintain their 5-point division lead. :applaudit:

Shea
03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
You can call it dirty...lots of people have...but if you go by the book, it was a legal hit. He had his elbow tucked in, led with his shoulder and he never left his feet throughout the hit. It was just unfortunate that he nailed Savard in the head from his blind side.

I get that.

It just seems like he was looking directly at Savard and still put his shoulder into the side of that man's face. That bothers me, but I'll get over it.

But you're right, and I personally find it hard to be objective when a player has to be brought off the ice on a stretcher - Penguin or opponent - so I'm probably not the best to offer up the correct answer on how this incident should be dealt with one way or another. But it's done and we'll see what comes of this for Cooke, like the announcers stated - you can't go back.

X-Terminator
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I get that.

It just seems like he was looking directly at Savard and still put his shoulder into the side of that man's face. That bothers me, but I'll get over it.

But you're right, and I personally find it hard to be objective when a player has to be brought off the ice on a stretcher - Penguin or opponent - so I'm probably not the best to offer up the correct answer on how this incident should be dealt with one way or another. But it's done and we'll see what comes of this for Cooke, like the announcers stated - you can't go back.

Well yeah, he was looking at Savard before he hit him. Many players lick their chops whenever they see another player with his head down or isn't paying attention to his surroundings. Guys like Scott Stevens made a living off of hits similar to this one. If he'd have played today, he'd be suspended every other week. And it's ironic that this happens the day before several GMs are getting together in Florida to discuss head shots and how to deal with them. Ray Shero is on his way there as we speak. I agree that, while Cooke didn't break any rules, these types of blind side hits need to be taken out of the game.

Fire Haley
03-07-2010, 11:43 PM
No Caputi updates today, Killer??

I'm disappointed. :shake01:

He was quiet as a mouse.

A slow mouse.

He doesn't look happy.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dW9gPc2CN1wE/x250.jpg

HometownGal
03-08-2010, 07:14 AM
He was quiet as a mouse.

A slow mouse.

He doesn't look happy.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dW9gPc2CN1wE/x250.jpg

Who in their right mind would be happy playing for the Leafs? :horror: :chuckle: Luca is depressed and Poni is as happy as a pig in shit! :banana: :thumbsup:

Great game yesterday by our boyz of winter! :banana: :applaudit: They're like Eveready bunnies - just keep goin' and goin' and goin'. :hatsoff: I was very upset to see Savard injured - whether it is one of my own or an opponent - I hate to see anyone injured like that. As for Cookie - it's not like he came to the Pens with a squeaky clean rep - anyone who has followed hockey for a number of years knows that he has a lot of dust attached to him. I think he could have showed a little remorse on his post-game interview, but I have no doubt that he called to check on Savard's status after the game and possibly even talked to him personally. I do not feel he should be suspended either.

On to the Debs and Marty in the cage! :hope: I love Brodeur but when he's playing against us - he's da enemy. :rocket:

LETS GO PENS!

SteelMember
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Make it 4, thanks to the "Brunes". :chuckle:

WH
03-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Ruslan Fedotenko, the Adam LaRoche of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Stinks all season, but picks it up in the end.

X-Terminator
03-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Ruslan Fedotenko, the Adam LaRoche of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Stinks all season, but picks it up in the end.

Yeah, his numbers are pretty bad - 9 goals and a -16, while playing almost exclusively with Malkin all season. Ouch. But when the playoffs roll around, the guy is money in the bank. Has been his whole career.

steelpride12
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Yeah, his numbers are pretty bad - 9 goals and a -16, while playing almost exclusively with Malkin all season. Ouch. But when the playoffs roll around, the guy is money in the bank. Has been his whole career.

Ya it's hard to judge someone like Fedo he is below average during the regular season, but wins you games in the playoffs which is so key.

Im happy Dupuis is really stepping it up this season. Im sure it has helped he has played along Sid the last three games, but he is on fire, and confident! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Well, it's been 2 days and still no suspension for Cooke. The longer this goes on, the more I think he may, in fact, not be suspended, which would absolutely be the right decision. If Mike Richards didn't get suspended for his very similar hit on David Booth, then Cooke should not be suspended his hit. Simple as that. The precedent has been set.

Fire Haley
03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
The NHL has until his next game to make a judgment. That's not till Thursday.

It ain't over yet.

The owners meeting is going on in Boca - all the GM's are discussing changes to the rules for head shots and repeat offenders. His hit will be the headline attraction for all around the league to see.

X-Terminator
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
The NHL has until his next game to make a judgment. That's not till Thursday.

It ain't over yet.

The owners meeting is going on in Boca - all the GM's are discussing changes to the rules for head shots and repeat offenders. His hit will be the headline attraction for all around the league to see.

Yeah, but if they really wanted to send a message that they're serious about cracking down on these hits, why not suspend him now? The hit has already been seen about 10 million times...it makes no sense to wait until tomorrow or Thursday to announce it. Something tells me that if they DO decide to suspend him, they are going to make an example of him, probably 5-7 games, since he'd be a repeat offender. I am still vehemently against any kind of suspension for Cooke, and that says a lot coming from me because I'm usually the first one to dump all over him for the stuff he pulls on the ice.

Shea
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I also believe that if he was going to get suspended then we'd have heard about it by now. Guess we'll just have to wait another day to find out for sure.

I personally didn't like the look of it and think he should have been punished but so be it.

WH
03-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Yeah, if they don't suspend both Cooke AND Richards.....that hit is pretty much just roughing now. They should have both been suspended, no questions asked.

X-Terminator
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Cooke's hearing is at 12:30, so we'll know later this afternoon what his punishment will be.

WH
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Cooke's hearing is at 12:30, so we'll know later this afternoon what his punishment will be.

I hope he gets suspended. But for no other reason than I don't want to see a precedent set that this type of hit is ok. Richards better get it too.

steelpride12
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
If Richards gets nothing, Cooke better not either.

X-Terminator
03-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I hope he gets suspended. But for no other reason than I don't want to see a precedent set that this type of hit is ok. Richards better get it too.

Richards won't get it - the ruling has been made...which means Cooke should not get it either. But you can take it to the bank that these types of blind-side hits will be illegal starting next season. Major+gamer+3 game suspension minimum is what I would do.

steelpride12
03-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Well im pleased with the ruling they made today. Didn't make this a sissy game and made the punishment more severe so overall please Cooke will get no suspension.

X-Terminator
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
It was absolutely the correct decision, and for once Colin Campbell shows some consistency in his ruling. I feel for Marc Savard and hope he makes a speedy recovery, but the fact of the matter is that Cooke's hit, while definitely dirty, did not break any rules.

WH
03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
On a totally unrelated note.....I've finalized my opinion that Hockey is a better sport than football.

Fire Haley
03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
PENGUINS' COOKE WILL NOT BE SUSPENDED FOR HIT ON SAVARD

The Pittsburgh Penguins have been informed by the NHL that forward Matt Cooke will not be suspended for his hit on Boston's Marc Savard.

Savard suffered a grade-two concussion when Cooke levelled him with a shoulder to the head in open ice during a game on Sunday in Pittsburgh.

In explaining his decision, NHL vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell said that the ruling was based on consistency involving similar incidents. Philadelphia's Mike Richards was not suspended for a similar hit on Florida's David Booth last October, so using that as precedent, Cooke was not suspended either.

On Wednesday, the NHL's general managers recommended a new penalty be given for "a lateral, back pressure or blindside hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and or the principal point of contact is not permitted."

If the rule is adopted it will be implemented next season. Campbell said that if the Cooke-Savard incident had taken place under the new rule, Cooke would have been suspended for his hit on Savard. He said that as is currently the policy, suspensions for repeat offenders will be stiffer yet.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313323

---------------------

ho ho

This will piss a lot of people off.

SteelCityMom
03-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Crosby Gear Found, Was Misplaced After Golden Goal

The stick and gloves Penguins' captain Sidney Crosby tossed away in celebration after scoring the gold medal-winning goal at the Vancouver winter games last month have been found.

Hockey Canada said Wednesday that Crosby's missing equipment was not stolen, but rather misplaced after the overtime goal was scored.

Crosby's stick was accidentally placed in a shipment bound for the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame in St. Petersburg, Russia.

But it ended up getting intercepted in Toronto.

Meanwhile, one of his gloves was put in a bag belonging to his Team Canada teammate Patrice Bergeron, who sat beside him in the locker room.

Reebok had put up a $10,000 reward for the stick after the gear went missing.

Also, Crosby announced Wednesday that he plans to donate the $20,000 bonus he received for winning the gold to his foundation.

http://kdka.com/local/gear.found.Sidney.2.1551605.html

Fire Haley
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
"Head hits are legal for the rest of the year" - - - NHL

Shea
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I was just reading an article on NHL.com about the GM's decision and the new rule dealing with the head hits we have been talking about and was shocked to read that Booth missed 45 games after his hit from Richards. :jawdrop: I then looked up Savard's injury to see where he might be and it looks like he'll probably miss the rest of the season.

Differences with concussions between football and hockey are staggering and it probably comes down to the simple fact that football players are better equipped due to having facemasks that better protect the lower part of their faces.

So now, I not only want to see every hockey player wearing a visor but to sport facemasks as well.

Whatta you guys think? :couch: :chuckle:

X-Terminator
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I was just reading an article on NHL.com about the GM's decision and the new rule dealing with the head hits we have been talking about and was shocked to read that Booth missed 45 games after his hit from Richards. :jawdrop: I then looked up Savard's injury to see where he might be and it looks like he'll probably miss the rest of the season.

Differences with concussions between football and hockey are staggering and it probably comes down to the simple fact that football players are better equipped due to having facemasks that better protect the lower part of their faces.

So now, I not only want to see every hockey player wearing a visor but to sport facemasks as well.

Whatta you guys think? :couch: :chuckle:

Neither of those are going to protect you from a shoulder or elbow hitting you in the nugget at high speed - much higher speeds than in the NFL. Plus, those shoulders are usually fortified with NFL-style pads, which as you know are extremely hard, so the impact is magnified. I think that is part of the problem as well - they need to think about going back to softer pads, so that when you hit someone, it's not like the equivalent of hitting him with a brick at 25 MPH. It would also help if more players would show more respect for others on the ice - when another player is in a vulnerable position, you either let up or you don't hit him at all. That would go a LONG way toward a solution to the concussion problem in the league, and they wouldn't need any new rules.

Savard is likely going to miss the rest of the season - he's suffering from post-concussion syndrome symptoms already, and no doctor in the world is going to clear him to play before the end of the season after a grade 2 concussion. I'm just glad it wasn't much, much worse.

Shea
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
It would also help if more players would show more respect for others on the ice - when another player is in a vulnerable position, you either let up or you don't hit him at all. That would go a LONG way toward a solution to the concussion problem in the league, and they wouldn't need any new rules.

Amen! :drink:

steelpride12
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Im watching very closely to the Devils because this will be one tight division finish. They beat the Rangers 6 to 3 so they are now only 3 points behind the Pens.

Petesburgh66
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Luca is depressed because he plays now for the Leafs? Not based on his reaction on scoring his first goal the other night for the team he grew up cheering.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=313247&hubname=nhl-maple_leafs

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/777541--caputi-the-pride-of-both-maple-and-the-leafs

I want the Leafs to get more players like Luca aka guys who bring the effort. Poni has never shown he can never bring the effort, all the time. This was one reason why Burke didn`t want him back.

Petesburgh66
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
As for the blind head shots, if you really want to get that out of the game, then get rid of the instigator penalty. Let the players police themselves.

Do you think guys like Cooke, Carcillo, Avery or some of these other pests would be doing the crap they do, knowing a knuckle sandwich or two was coming their way? They would think twice.

X-Terminator
03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
As for the blind head shots, if you really want to get that out of the game, then get rid of the instigator penalty. Let the players police themselves.

Do you think guys like Cooke, Carcillo, Avery or some of these other pests would be doing the crap they do, knowing a knuckle sandwich or two was coming their way? They would think twice.

Hell no. I'm a big advocate of getting rid of the instigator, and it's a proven fact that the respect factor has decreased dramatically ever since it was implemented. The players, most of the coaches and many GMs support dropping it, but the owners and many other GMs don't, and that's the stumbling block. If they're serious about keeping pests under control, then they'd drop it without a moment's hesitation. I've a feeling this will be revisited in the offseason.

X-Terminator
03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Im watching very closely to the Devils because this will be one tight division finish. They beat the Rangers 6 to 3 so they are now only 3 points behind the Pens.

Not to look ahead, but tomorrow night's game against the Devils is huge. The Pens really control their own destiny as far as the division goes, and they'd really help their cause if they can beat the Devils tomorrow night. But first things first - beat Carolina tonight and restore their 5-point lead.

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Not to look ahead, but tomorrow night's game against the Devils is huge. The Pens really control their own destiny as far as the division goes, and they'd really help their cause if they can beat the Devils tomorrow night. But first things first - beat Carolina tonight and restore their 5-point lead.

Hurricanes can be pesky. The took the Caps into OT last night and surely will come with the same fire tonight. We need to keep on our game strong and not to let up much this is a game we should win to re take the 5 point lead!

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Penguins start five-game trip against 'Canes

PENGUINS (40-22-4) http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/logos/small.png at http://cdn.nhl.com/hurricanes/images/logos/small.png HURRICANES (27-31-8)

Last 10 -- Pittsburgh 6-1-3; Carolina 8-1-1

Season series -- The teams are meeting for the third time this season, but the first in more than three months. They haven't seen each other since the Hurricanes came to Mellon Arena and left with a 3-2 win on Dec. 7. The Penguins rallied from a 2-0 deficit for a 3-2 shootout win at the RBC Center on Oct. 14.

Big story -- Two of the NHL's hottest teams meet as the Penguins kick off a five-game road trip. Pittsburgh is a perfect 4-0-0 since play resumed after the Olympic break, including a 2-1 victory over Boston on Sunday, and has grabbed first place in the Atlantic Division. The 'Canes are coming off a 4-3 OT loss in Washington on Wednesday, but have points in nine of their last 10 games and still have an outside shot at the playoffs because they're one of the few hot teams in the East.

Team Scope:

Penguins A year ago, the Penguins found themselves under new coach Dan Bylsma by sweeping a five-game trip. They'd like to set themselves up for a long playoff run by doing the same thing this year.

"It was a big definition trip. Where's the season going to go? What would we do with 10 points on the line?" Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "And we won five straight."

The Penguins head out on the road with a four-game winning streak, though defenseman Kris Letang said, "We're playing well, but we can do better."

Hurricanes -- The 'Canes have little room for error if they hope to make the playoffs after a dreadful start, so rallying from a 2-0 deficit to get a point in Wednesday's 4-3 overtime loss at Washington was better than nothing. With 62 points, they're still eight behind eighth-place Boston, which has played one fewer game.

"We're just judging ourselves by the fight," coach Paul Maurice said after the loss to the Caps. "I thought we got better as the game went on, and we're just trying to get as many points as we can."

Who's hot -- Sidney Crosby has 10 points during a six-game points streak for the Penguins. He's tied for the NHL lead with 44 goals and has 16 points in 10 games since the start of February. … Hurricanes goaltender Manny Legace is 5-0-1 in his last six games and has allowed just 12 goals during that span. Forward Jussi Jokinen has goals in his last three games.

Injury report -- Pittsburgh will be without enforcer Eric Godard (groin) for another week or two. Forward Bill Guerin may have to sit again due to back spasms. … Carolina goalie Cam Ward has missed 10 straight games with an upper-body injury.

Stat pack -- Since the Hartford Whalers relocated to Carolina in 1995, the Penguins and Hurricanes have met 59 times in the regular season -- and they're all even. Pittsburgh Carolina each have won 26 games, while the other seven finished in ties. Both teams have accumulated 62 points by earning three extra points with OT or shootout losses.

Puck drop -- Crosby's missing Olympic equipment has been found. One glove was found by Boston's Patrice Bergeron after it was accidentally packed with Bruins equipment. The other glove and his stick were found in Toronto in a shipment headed for the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame, and Hockey Canada said the gear was misplaced, not stolen. Crosby had said he wanted to get the equipment back; it's now up to him to where it ends up.

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 11:47 AM
PREDICTION

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/logos/small.png -- 3

http://cdn.nhl.com/hurricanes/images/logos/small.png -- 1

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Penguins' Guerin says NHL should ban hits to head like teammate Cooke's on Bruins' Savard
By Associated Press
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/sns-ap-hkn-penguins-cooke-hit,0,4669521.story

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Penguins forward Bill Guerin says the NHL must outlaw hits to the head.

That includes the kind of hit leveled by Guerin's teammate, Matt Cooke, against the Boston Bruins' Marc Savard.

Savard is out indefinitely with a Grade 2 concussion sustained during a shoulder-to-head hit by Cooke on Sunday, but Cooke was not suspended.

NHL enforcement chief Colin Campbell said precedent was set when the Flyers' Mike Richards wasn't suspended for a similar hit on Florida's David Booth this season.

NHL general managers recommended during their meeting Wednesday that a blind-side hit to the head — or the kind Cooke inflicted upon Savard — should not be permitted.

Guerin expected Cooke to be suspended.

"If a guy gets hurt like that with a shot to the head, there's got to be something," Guerin said. "Actions happen. Guys don't mean to hurt each other, but they do. You got to pay a price for that."

Guerin said players must know they can play the game with protection against hits to the head, especially those that a player can't see coming.

"We're all under the same umbrella, whether the guy's on my team and I'm sitting right next to him or he's playing in California," Guerin said. "It doesn't matter. We're all playing in the same league. We all want the same safety. We all want to be looked after the same way. I understand he (Cooke) is on my team but, hey, he's in a tough spot."

The Penguins play the Bruins for the fourth and final time this season March 18 in Boston.

Cooke has been suspended previously for hard hits.

Cooke was suspended two games this season for a hit to the head of Rangers center Atrium Animism. He also drew a two-game suspension for a hitting Carolina forward Scott Walker in the head on Jan. 20, 2009.

Cooke was not suspended for a knee-to-knee hit on Carolina's Erik Cole that occurred during last season's Eastern Conference finals.

Fire Haley
03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Canes are hot - but they have to jump 5 teams with only 16 games left. Not likely.

According to the Penguin Report of their morning skate.

Johnson in net tonight, Fleury tomorrow against the devils.

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Ponikarovsky-Malkin-Fedotenko
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis
Rupp-Talbot-Adams

Gonchar-Eaton
Orpik-Letang
Leopold-Goligoski

X-Terminator
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
It's pretty significant when your own teammate basically says you were in the wrong. I've a feeling Cooke may have no choice but to answer the bell against Boston in order to win back some respect from his teammates.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that TK is a HS tonight - Dupuis has been playing so well that you can't take him out of the lineup, and TK has been struggling a bit lately.

Fire Haley
03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't like juggling lines when we're winning

WH
03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
PREDICTION

Paaaaaaaiiiin

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Ehhh Kennedy has been struggling for sure yes maybe due to injury who knows, just don't like the fact of breaking apart that third line. All is difficult with the new players and knowing a few players will become healthy scratches.

Nice to see Johnson in tonight. I love this guy because I have the same confidence with him as I do Fluery and know he will keep this team in the game all night!

Oh Yeah GO PENS!

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I think Johnson is a crap goalie but that is my opinion.

I think the Canes win this 6-4

X-Terminator
03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
He has allowed 3 terrible goals so far - the Staal goal was the worst of all. There's no way in hell that should ever go in. If not for his bad goaltending, the Pens would be walking all over the Canes right now.

Fire Haley
03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
It's a wild game - back and forth, up and down, pucks flying everywhere

Killing offf that 5 on 3 was huge

3-3

supa_fly_steeler
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
he sucks so bad why did we sign him.... there was 2 other great goalies in free agency.

Fire Haley
03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Dominate a whole period and don't score then lose it right off the bat in OT.

oh well

X-Terminator
03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
That one is all on Johnson. Other than the one save on Cole, he was brutal tonight. The Pens played more than well enough to win that game.

HometownGal
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
he sucks so bad why did we sign him.... there was 2 other great goalies in free agency.

Are you insane? The guy had a bad night, which has been a rarity since he's been with the Pens. Fleury has a bad night here and there - does he "suck so bad" too? :banging: :shake01:

Though the Pens should have won that game hands down, they got a point and I'll take it.

HometownGal
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
FSN had a poll tonight on which of the following three players viewers feel should have their number retired:

1. Paul Coffey
2. Fagomir or
3. Ron Francis

Ron Francis won hands down and I agree 100% with their selection. Great hockey player, prince of a man on and off the ice, loved by the fans and teammates and a tremendous example of what an NFL hockey player should be. :applaudit: :drink: :hatsoff:

Jagr should get down on his hands and knees and thank Ron Francis for not only mentoring him in Mario's absence, but padding his stats with great passes while he had the honor of playing on Ronnie's line.

EDIT: OOPS - screwed up. Jagr won the poll with Ronnie Francis second. Imho - I think Francis deserves that honor HANDS DOWN.

SteelCityMom
03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I think Johnson is a crap goalie but that is my opinion.

I think the Canes win this 6-4

Lol...we are extremely lucky to have Johnson for a backup. He's a great goalie. Just think, we could have the immortal Sabourin as backup still. Wouldn't that be just wonderful.

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Ya Supa looks like your banned, well deserved, and your comments on Johnson are hilarious. He is one of our best backups in many seasons and has showed up all season long and a bad game and he is terrible. So when Fluery has a bad game he is bad? No.

Ehh tough game for the Pens. A few leaky goals went in, but the Pens played hard and hey at least got a point out of it to keep a 4 point lead over the Devils. Making tomorrow's game so much BIGGER! We must keep the lead big and not be down only two after tomorrow!

SteelCityMom
03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
LOL...I know it probably wasn't, but it would be well warranted if the comments against Johnson got him banned. That's just nutty. Yeah, he had a rough game, but what goalie hasn't. He's come up big in a lot of games. IMO, while he did let a couple easy ones get by him, he's the reason that game even went into OT with the save on Cole. Without that spectacular double save, the Pens wouldn't have even gotten a point.

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
LOL...I know it probably wasn't, but it would be well warranted if the comments against Johnson got him banned. That's just nutty. Yeah, he had a rough game, but what goalie hasn't. He's come up big in a lot of games. IMO, while he did let a couple easy ones get by him, he's the reason that game even went into OT with the save on Cole. Without that spectacular double save, the Pens wouldn't have even gotten a point.

Yupp. He didn't have the worst night ever he made several spectacular saves to keep us in this game and give us the 1 important point to keep the Pens alive in the division lead! :drink:

Fire Haley
03-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Ya Supa looks like your banned

surely not for that - there must be a bigger reason - I miss all the fun

Fire Haley
03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Johnson - eh - too much action in front of the net for him - he looked shaky

he got an elbow to the chin and his mask knocked off and laid sprawled facedown on the ice for awhile - that didn't help

steelpride12
03-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Nope Eaton was pushed into pretty hard knocking him into poor Johnson who was pretty rattled up. Shaky game for him for sure, but he has been damn good for us this season and I can't complain for at least getting a point out of tonight.

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 06:41 AM
supa_fly wasn't given a vacation for what he posted in this thread.

Tonight's game is HUGE. Marty has the occasional off night and we've got to hope tonight will be one of those. :hope: Pens have to keep firing the puck to the net as early and as often as possible, as the Debs don't really give up a lot of ice.

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Tonight's game is HUGE. Marty has the occasional off night and we've got to hope tonight will be one of those. :hope: Pens have to keep firing the puck to the net as early and as often as possible, as the Debs don't really give up a lot of ice.

LETS GO PENS!

I feel it coming! I think tonight starts the Pens domination. Were getting hot while the Devs are slacking and the Pens own this division and it's time to prove that tonight and take a 6 point division hold! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
FSN had a poll tonight on which of the following three players viewers feel should have their number retired:

1. Paul Coffey
2. Fagomir or
3. Ron Francis

Ron Francis won hands down and I agree 100% with their selection. Great hockey player, prince of a man on and off the ice, loved by the fans and teammates and a tremendous example of what an NFL hockey player should be. :applaudit: :drink: :hatsoff:

Jagr should get down on his hands and knees and thank Ron Francis for not only mentoring him in Mario's absence, but padding his stats with great passes while he had the honor of playing on Ronnie's line.

EDIT: OOPS - screwed up. Jagr won the poll with Ronnie Francis second. Imho - I think Francis deserves that honor HANDS DOWN.

Jagr will eventually have his number retired, because numbers-wise he is the 2nd best player in Penguins' history. I just hope I'm NOT there when it happens, so that I'm not tempted to boo all throughout the ceremony. But I agree wholeheartedly that Francis deserves to have his number retired. The Canes have already done it - time for the Pens to do the same. Ronnie was a great player and the epitome of class both on and off the ice. It was a sad day when he left, but at the time, the Pens simply could not afford to keep him.

Fire Haley
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Nope Eaton was pushed into pretty hard knocking him into poor Johnson who was pretty rattled up..

Yeah - it was Ruutu who shoved Eaton into him and it was Eaton's elbow that nailed him ...the 'sprawled on the ice' part might have been dramatic efffect for the penalty - he bounced up pretty quick and played good after that - right up to OT.

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Pens playing the Debs as I type this. Elias, who always kills us, scored for the Debs and a few seconds later, Sid put his 45th in the net behind Marty! :banana: :applaudit: This is gonna be a good one me thinks.

Pens going on the PP! :hope:

LETS GO PENS!!!!

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Poni just got away with one there taking out Brodeur. :horror: Pens didn't score on the PP, but came out firing on all cylinders. Keep it up boyz! :banana:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Jagr will eventually have his number retired, because numbers-wise he is the 2nd best player in Penguins' history. I just hope I'm NOT there when it happens, so that I'm not tempted to boo all throughout the ceremony. But I agree wholeheartedly that Francis deserves to have his number retired. The Canes have already done it - time for the Pens to do the same. Ronnie was a great player and the epitome of class both on and off the ice. It was a sad day when he left, but at the time, the Pens simply could not afford to keep him.

If the Pens ever retire Doughboy's number and we have that game, I'll simply go down to catch a smoke during the ceremony so I'm not even tempted to boo him. :chuckle: You know how I feel about that fat load and his blubbering.

You never heard Ronnie whining and moaning the way Jagr did and when he left the team, he did so with the utmost of class, unlike Porky. I loved the guy and I really hope the Pens do retire his number - imho, he is more deserving than Jagr and it still gags me sitting across from the Ring of Honor at the arena and seeing him with that C on his jersey - something he never conducted himself as.

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
How totally cool - FSN had a between periods piece on former Pens netminder Kenny Wregget's son, who is turning into one helluva goaltender with the Upper St. Clair Panthers. :applaudit: I was a huge fan of Wregget when he was with the Pens and loved him even more because he didn't take any shit from Barrasso. :chuckle:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Billy G going to the sin bin. :banging: Pens PK has to step up big here. :hope:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Adams just got called for charging Skoula and was given a 5 minute major. Total BULLSHIT call. :mad: Another big PK for the guys. :hope:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Pens PK has killed off the major! :applaudit: :hatsoff:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Rupp now in the bin of sin and the Debils on yet another PP. :banging: :mad:

Why should I be surprised? McCreary is one of the refs and we all know how much of a Penguins hater he is. :jerkit:

I really feel for Fleury. :shake01:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Gotta love Geno! Niedermayer just knocked him down from behind and Geno got up and punched him in the face. :thumbsup: Big G and Niedermayer both in the bin but we're on a PP because of the original interference infraction by Niedermayer.

LETS GO PENS!!!!

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Great save by Fleury on a breakaway by Kovalchuck, but unfortunately, Letang whacked at Kovy's hands and he's getting a penalty shot. :banging:

Stand strong Flower! :hope:

EDIT: And Fleury makes the save! :banana: :hatsoff:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Cookie and Niedermayer just got into it, dropped the gloves and Cookie kicked his ass, knocking him down with a punch. :laughing: :thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 08:00 PM
SHIT. Greene scores for the Debils. 2-1 early in the 3rd.

C'mon Pens - answer the call.

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Kovalchuck scores to make it 3-1 Debs with 10 left in the 3rd. Bylsma is FURIOUS as Zajac whacked at Fleury's trapper at the time the puck was being shot into the net and Fleury couldn't recover in time. Damn it - why the hell do we always have such a hard time with this team? The Pens are playing fairly well overall but they just can't get another one past Brodeur. :banging: Very frustrating.

X-Terminator
03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Hmmm, let me see...the Pens get screwed not once but twice, and McCreary's one of the referees. Color me shocked.

NOT.

The Pens just can't beat the Devils...and yet, they may still end up winning the division. Go figure.

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Xtra attacker on as Fleury goes to the bench. C'mon Pens!!!! :hope: :hope: :hope:

HometownGal
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Other than Marty, I have no fondness for any of the Debs, but they always play us so damned tough and I respect them for that. :shake02: 5 W's in a row this season for them. :banging:

Fire Haley
03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
What a boring game - let them have that crap.

Dump & chase and neutral zone trap...phhhftp

Cooke should have hit someone

steelpride12
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Sighhh 0 for 5 against the Devils. They had break all night, but we still lost an the Devils are only behind us in the division by two points and two games in hand..great!

Shea
03-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I didn't think it was a boring game at all. Pretty entertaining actually, with a crappy ending.

Would be nice to see the Pens get a win when they play again on Wednesday. Don't know how the playoff match-ups will shake out or if we will get the Devils in one of the rounds, but if we do get them then atleast one W this season might help in mindsets.

Bruins game the night after that rematch as well. That should be interesting.

One game at a time though. Up next TB, and then go from there.

Fire Haley
03-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Do tell.

What does it take to get busted outta this joint?

Shea
03-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Do tell.

What does it take to get busted outta this joint?

I'm astounded that you haven't, up to this point, personally found that answer out for yourself.

No offense of course. :wink:

Fire Haley
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I grew up a poor black child in Kenya

Now look at me

X-Terminator
03-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Some teams just have your number, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. This year, it's the Devils...last year it was Ottawa and Toronto. It's funny - you take away those 5 losses against the Devils, and the Pens have just 2 losses in regulation to the rest of the Atlantic Division - one each to the Flyers and Islanders. From what I saw for the last period and a half, the Pens played well enough to win, but they couldn't crack Marty.

As for the referees...I swear to God, McCreary hates the Pens. He tries to find any possible way he can to screw them every time he works one of their games. Can someone tell me why Adams got 5 and a game for his hit on Skoula? That hit barely deserved 2 minutes...and he gets tossed? Are you kidding me??? And the clear interference on Fleury on Kovalchuk's goal...I mean, the ref (I think it was McCreary) wasn't more than 20 feet away - how in the hell could he miss that? Unreal. Him and that damn villain's mustache...I can't stomach him. It's also the first time I've ever seen Dan Bylsma pissed off, both after that play and at the end of the game. He looked like he wanted to punch someone in the face, and I can't blame him.

It may not look good now, but somehow I still think the Pens are going to end up winning the division. It took two solid goaltending performances and horrible refereeing to beat them the last 2 nights and Johnson wasn't very good last night. They have a tough schedule, but all of those teams are beatable. Hopefully it starts with some payback against the Bolts on Sunday. In the meantime...let's go Isles! (the Devils' next opponent tomorrow night)

Shea
03-12-2010, 10:56 PM
As for the referees...I swear to God, McCreary hates the Pens. He tries to find any possible way he can to screw them every time he works one of their games. Can someone tell me why Adams got 5 and a game for his hit on Skoula? That hit barely deserved 2 minutes...and he gets tossed? Are you kidding me??? And the clear interference on Fleury on Kovalchuk's goal...I mean, the ref (I think it was McCreary) wasn't more than 20 feet away - how in the hell could he miss that? Unreal. Him and that damn villain's mustache...I can't stomach him. It's also the first time I've ever seen Dan Bylsma pissed off, both after that play and at the end of the game. He looked like he wanted to punch someone in the face, and I can't blame him.

XT - deep breath in .......... deep breath out. Repeat process until calming down. If that doesn't work than pop a Xanax already for cryin' out loud! :chuckle:

I think what the NHL needs are female refs. I personally know that I'd kick ass and never get what all the men get wrong - those fricken idiots.

Again, no offense of course. :wink:

Shea
03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Just saw this for the first time today:

zh4sg9i9inQ

What the hell, TK?? :sofunny:

Unfortunately, the clip cuts off before there is any type of explanation. :noidea:

WH
03-13-2010, 02:16 AM
McReary can suck it. He's a terrible ref in all games.

Brodeur = product of the system.