PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46

stlrtruck
03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Just curious (and too lazy to look it up myself) didn't the dweebles have our number in the regular season last year too?

Yeah, I'll worry more about them when the rubber meets the road (aka playoffs)!

X-Terminator
03-13-2010, 10:14 PM
XT - deep breath in .......... deep breath out. Repeat process until calming down. If that doesn't work than pop a Xanax already for cryin' out loud! :chuckle:

I think what the NHL needs are female refs. I personally know that I'd kick ass and never get what all the men get wrong - those fricken idiots.

Again, no offense of course. :wink:

Don't need the Xanax, thanks - I'm perfectly calm. It's a message board, not "the couch."

It's a well-known fact that McCreary sucks - he's the worst referee in the league now that Mick McFat (McGeough) got canned. A chimp could do a better job than him.

Just curious (and too lazy to look it up myself) didn't the dweebles have our number in the regular season last year too?

Yeah, I'll worry more about them when the rubber meets the road (aka playoffs)!

Yeah, the Devils were 4-2 against the Pens last season (2-3-1 from the Pens' standpoint) and won the division, which of course meant absolutely nothing since they were upset by the Canes in the first round of the playoffs. So they can have the regular season championship - it's what you do when the games mean everything that matters the most. Obviously, win Pens on that score. Still though, they are the last team I want to face in the playoffs, because I feel they are the one team who can beat the Pens. I think they'd beat anyone else for sure, including the Caps.

Speaking of the Caps...

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9986/crosbydoughtyscottygold.jpg

steelpride12
03-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Well I agree X-T. The Pens play well enough to win and it took so much against the Pens and they only lost by two goals. This is a solid team and it only matters most in the playoffs where as of the last few seasons, the Pens are hot and the Devils slump. Time for a Pens win tomorrow night against the Bolts and keep racking up the easy points in the end of this season!
GO Pens!
I believe! Atlantic Division Champs sure sounds good!

Shea
03-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Don't need the Xanax, thanks - I'm perfectly calm. It's a message board, not "the couch."

No kidding? Damn, I thought this was the Dr. Phil forum.

It was a joke, obviously, so why so cranky?

Shea
03-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Well I agree X-T. The Pens play well enough to win and it took so much against the Pens and they only lost by two goals. This is a solid team and it only matters most in the playoffs where as of the last few seasons, the Pens are hot and the Devils slump. Time for a Pens win tomorrow night against the Bolts and keep racking up the easy points in the end of this season!
GO Pens!

I don't want anything to do with the Devils in the playoffs. Brodeur makes me nervous as hell.

steelpride12
03-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Well good news the Devils lost to the Isle 4 to 2 so our Pens keep the two point lead in the division with a hopeful easy game tomorrow no guarantee's.

X-Terminator
03-13-2010, 11:22 PM
GO Pens!

The Bolts will not be easy by any stretch. Steven Stamkos alone gives them a chance to win - he's been terrific this season. 3rd in the league in goals and only 19 years old. If not for him, the Bolts would not be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Plus, they beat the Pens the last time they played. So they'd be well-served not to take them lightly.

No kidding? Damn, I thought this was the Dr. Phil forum.

It was a joke, obviously, so why so cranky?

I'm sore and in a bad mood?

Well good news the Devils lost to the Isle 4 to 2 so our Pens keep the two point lead in the division with a hopeful easy game tomorrow no guarantee's.

Seems other teams can beat the Devils, but the Pens can't. Hell, the Oilers shut them out, and they're the worst team in the league. Someone on the hockey MB I'm on said the Devils may be in their heads and they know they're going to lose...he might be right. That's why they are the last team I want the Pens to face in the playoffs, despite Marty not exactly being Mr. Clutch in recent postseasons.

steelpride12
03-14-2010, 03:16 AM
So true X-T. I mean when watching the Devils spank the Pens, they sure look elite and all great, but I feel they are not a stunning team and again won't go far in the post season IMO. I just don't want to be the team who has to eliminate them as you stated. They have our number this season and it happens, but other teams easily find ways to win it is sure a wonder to watch,

Yes I love Stamkos. 19 years old and already closing in scary actually close to Sid and Captain Caveman how he scores points every single game. This will be a good game and I feel every game till the end of the season will be a big deal because of us and NJ fighting for the division and the #2 seed as of now.

SteelCityMom
03-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Seems other teams can beat the Devils, but the Pens can't. Hell, the Oilers shut them out, and they're the worst team in the league. Someone on the hockey MB I'm on said the Devils may be in their heads and they know they're going to lose...he might be right. That's why they are the last team I want the Pens to face in the playoffs, despite Marty not exactly being Mr. Clutch in recent postseasons.

Well, it didn't hurt that Danis was in goal for the Devils last night either lol. I think it's more that Brodeur is in the Pens head, cause they've played well enough to win and have gotten enough shots on goal to win in a couple of games against them, just haven't been able to get anything past Marty. I sure with the Pens could have seen Danis in goal at least once or twice though...he seems very mediocre. The Devils better hope that they get a decent backup goalie here sometime soon because I have a feeling that Marty might get burned out for the playoffs like he has in recent years.

steelpride12
03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I love this. Seeing Capt. Caveman get his third game misconduct of the season already and the Caps getting spanked after two periods 3 to 0. That team is nothing without Caveman it sure is a sight to see. They have totally disappeared from this game and have no life or will to win without him.

X-Terminator
03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I love this. Seeing Capt. Caveman get his third game misconduct of the season already and the Caps getting spanked after two periods 3 to 0. That team is nothing without Caveman it sure is a sight to see. They have totally disappeared from this game and have no life or will to win without him.

I was just about to bring that up. That means he gets an automatic 1-game suspension with the possibility of more since he was already suspended after his last cheap hit from behind. Let's see if Colin Campbell has the balls to give him more than a game. Smart money says he won't.

steelpride12
03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
I was just about to bring that up. That means he gets an automatic 1-game suspension with the possibility of more since he was already suspended after his last cheap hit from behind. Let's see if Colin Campbell has the balls to give him more than a game. Smart money says he won't.

Of course not. Caveman brings in the money and is an "icon" to this league if i could be sarcastic. This is his third offence all ready this season and it's time for some action, more than one game IMO. Of course yes it won't happen.

SteelCityMom
03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Geez...some bad penalties for the Hawks result in 3 goals in 2:16 for the Caps. It's all tied up now with a little over 10 minutes to go.

steelpride12
03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Geez...some bad penalties for the Hawks result in 3 goals in 2:16 for the Caps. It's all tied up now with a little over 10 minutes to go.

Yupp just when I start running my mouth and talk trash on the Caps and they come back.:doh:

SteelCityMom
03-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Uggghhh...and they win in OT. Hawks fans are just baffled right now.

X-Terminator
03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Uggghhh...and they win in OT. Hawks fans are just baffled right now.

The Hawks have mediocre goaltending, and that's what's going to hurt them in the end. Neither Huet nor Niemi are anything special.

steelpride12
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Ahhh 0 to 0 end of the first period and what a scare for Sid. Steve Downy putting him in a figure four lock Im sure and it was one dirty play and I would expect a suspension. A hard hitting game, sure reminds me of a playoff game and Fluery has made some spectacular saves early to keep us in this one! GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 06:07 PM
We've got 15 SOG and nothing to show for it - Nittymaki playing us tough here. :banging:

I was soooo pissed to see that slew foot variation on Sid. :mad: I hope he scores the game-winner.

LETS GO PENS!!!!!

X-Terminator
03-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Frustrating game so far. The Bolts aren't giving the Pens much of anything. Don't know what it is about Florida, but the Pens just don't play well down there.

As for Downie's attempted leg break on Sid...I expect nothing less from that dirtbag. And Lecavalier and St. Louis had a nerve to rag on Cooke? They can't say a damn thing so long as Downie is on their team.

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Dupuis ties it up 1-1 early in the 3rd and the Pens are now on a PP. :hope: :hope: :hope:

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I absolutely LOVE Poni as a brick wall in front of the net! :banana: Who's going to try and move him? :chuckle:

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Dumb ass Suhura. :laughing: Pens on a 5 on 3 for 9 secs and then on another PP. Let's get 'em boyz.

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! My baybeeee shoots and scores!!! :applaudit: :banana: :applaudit: Pens up 2-1!

Great play by Poni taking 2 men away from the action. :applaudit:

SIGN HIM SHERO. :banging: :banging:

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Pens on another PP. :hope:

X-Terminator
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Let me see if I have this right...both Hedman and Tank dropped the gloves and actually threw punches...but they didn't get fighting majors? WTF??? Tank kicked his ass anyway :thumbsup:

HometownGal
03-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Pens hold on to win 2-1! :applaudit: The team woke up in the 3rd and all cylinders were in sync. Serg made a great play in the waning moments and the Pens have their 41st W and a 4 point lead over the Debs for now.

I'm real proud of you guys! :applaudit: :thumbsup: :drink: :hatsoff:

X-Terminator
03-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Man, I was REAL nervous for a while...OK, the whole game...but the boys came through again.

Now, can they PLEASE find a way to beat those damn Devils and their old school Christmas uniforms they'll be wearing Wednesday night?

steelpride12
03-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Woo Great win for the Pens today, they came back in the third firing in all cylinders and scored once again on the PP. Poni is a tank in front of that net and creates a lot of confusion for the goalie which makes out point shots dangerous! 4 point lead over the Devils again and they come up next. Time to finally get a W!

Ehh upset about Downie's move, but as X-T stated he is a piece of trash and I hope the league takes a look at that, but don't expect much since Sid was eventually OK.

Fedo won that fight im so proud of him for not breaking that hand after the first punch hehe!

One worry and that is for Malkin. He did not return in the third period at all and had a shot hit off his feet. I hope it is not long term we need him!

Fire Haley
03-14-2010, 08:24 PM
That was a scary game. Fleury saves the day.

I thought sure Sid was done for the year the way his knee got all twisted up.

I didn't even see Malkin get hurt. they never showed it.

X-Terminator
03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah they did - twice. He took a shot off the inside of his foot.

Fire Haley
03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah they did - twice. He took a shot off the inside of his foot.

Not on my SUN Lightning broadcast - they barely mentioned it.

Shea
03-15-2010, 12:27 AM
I thought sure Sid was done for the year the way his knee got all twisted up.

I didn't even see Malkin get hurt. they never showed it.

I thought the same when watching the game. It was a scary situation with potential devastating consequences especially since the playoffs are right around the corner. Thank god Sid was right back on the ice afterwards.

SHeh3tyUL10

As for Geno :hope: . Bylsma stated that we will know more about his situation tomorrow.

We can't afford to have injuries this time of year. :nervous:

OneForTheToe
03-15-2010, 02:31 AM
I hope Geno is ok. I really think that the addition of Poni is going to help make our PP a true a weapon in the playoffs. What we don't need is one of the cogs of that PP to miss significant time.

WH
03-15-2010, 05:52 AM
That sounded like a home game in Tampa.

HometownGal
03-15-2010, 08:02 AM
As for Geno :hope: . Bylsma stated that we will know more about his situation tomorrow.

We can't afford to have injuries this time of year. :nervous:

Ain't that the truth? :horror: I'll be anxiously awaiting news today about Geno.

I, too, thought Sid's knee was seriously injured and thank God it wasn't. What a classless shot that was by Downie, but I should have expected him to pull something like that. :mad:

pittsburghp8baller
03-15-2010, 08:39 AM
missed the first period so i didnt see Downie/Crosby hit, If thats not a suspendable play i dont know what would be.

watching the OV hit right now, i HATE working nights, i miss out on all the day games. Missed a lot of the Olympic games cause of it too.

btw, im putting the over/under of Bob Errery's christmas themed New Jersey Devil jokes at 3.

steelpride12
03-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I just hope we can get Malkin back ASAP. We have very important games coming up and he is huge for this team and offense, right when him and Poni were starting to click!

WH
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Dear Steigerwald,

Get a new job.

You're awful.

-Sincerely

Everyone.

steelpride12
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Well this is very good news. Seems we will get him back sooner rather than later!

Malkin Day-to-Day after X-Ray Results
Monday, 03.15.2010 / 12:57 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan

The Penguins recieved good news on Monday in regards to the recent injury to star forward Evgeni Malkin. The defending Art Ross and Conn Smythe champion suffered an undisclosed injury after being hit with a shot in Pittsburgh's 2-1 victory at Tampa Bay Sunday evening.

Though the injury could have been more severe, x-ray results showed nothing was broken, and Malkin is being listed as day-to-day by the team.

Malkin was hit by a shot from teammate Kris Letang in the second period against the Lightning. He left the game at that time and did not return.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521437&cmpid=pit-fb-pghpenguins

X-Terminator
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Dear Steigerwald,

Get a new job.

You're awful.

-Sincerely

Everyone.

Worst announcer in the league. And that includes Boston's Jack Edwards.

Well this is very good news. Seems we will get him back sooner rather than later!

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521437&cmpid=pit-fb-pghpenguins

Good news indeed! Hopefully he's ready to go on Wednesday :thumbsup:

WH
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Watch the highlights on penguins.com XT. They don't even use Steigy. Listen to the guy calling that game. His calls are nearly immaculate, clear, and concise.

Fire Haley
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Excellent news on Malkin!

a dozen games left and we coulda lost both Sid and Malkin - scary

steelpride12
03-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Looks like the Devils will beat Boston tonight so it's once again down to two points meaning Wed. either means we take the lead by 4 again or fall behind the Devils in the division!

X-Terminator
03-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Watch the highlights on penguins.com XT. They don't even use Steigy. Listen to the guy calling that game. His calls are nearly immaculate, clear, and concise.

Yeah, I like Tampa's announcer. Versus sometimes uses him during the playoffs, but his name escapes me. Why they decided to take Mike Lange off TV is beyond me. They're trying to make up for that by giving him his own TV show on FSN, but to me, it's a slap in a face to an icon to be replaced by an idiot like Steigerwald.

SteelMember
03-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Not necessarily a Pens tidbit, but I didn't think he was worthy of his own thread...

NHL MVP Ovechkin 'disappointed' by two-game suspension (http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/Alex-Ovechkin-disappointed-by-two-game-suspension-031610)

Updated Mar 16, 2010 2:33 PM ET
SUNRISE, Fla. (AP)

Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin was surprised and says he was "disappointed" by the NHL's decision to suspend him for his hit on Chicago's Brian Campbell.

The two-time MVP on Tuesday answered just three questions for reporters in Sunrise, where the Capitals face the Florida Panthers. Ovechkin says he was sorry that Campbell was injured in the hit, which he said he thought was "just a little push."

Ovechkin drove Campbell into the boards from behind in the first period Sunday and received a major penalty and a game misconduct. Campbell will miss seven to eight weeks with a broken collar bone and a fractured rib because of the hit.

Ovechkin will miss games Tuesday at Florida and Thursday at Carolina. He can return Saturday at Tampa Bay.

World class jackass.

SteelCityMan786
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I like Tampa's announcer. Versus sometimes uses him during the playoffs, but his name escapes me. Why they decided to take Mike Lange off TV is beyond me. They're trying to make up for that by giving him his own TV show on FSN, but to me, it's a slap in a face to an icon to be replaced by an idiot like Steigerwald.

I just looked up the name on the Lightning site, and it looks like his name is Rick Peckham. I am not certain if that's the one you were thinking of.

I'm baffled about the Ovie suspension. This makes me wonder how in the heck Cookie didn't get suspended, but Ovie did. Unless they just felt possibly Cooke's hit was incidental and Ovie had the intension of doing so.

X-Terminator
03-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Not necessarily a Pens tidbit, but I didn't think he was worthy of his own thread...

NHL MVP Ovechkin 'disappointed' by two-game suspension (http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/Alex-Ovechkin-disappointed-by-two-game-suspension-031610)

Updated Mar 16, 2010 2:33 PM ET
SUNRISE, Fla. (AP)

Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin was surprised and says he was "disappointed" by the NHL's decision to suspend him for his hit on Chicago's Brian Campbell.

The two-time MVP on Tuesday answered just three questions for reporters in Sunrise, where the Capitals face the Florida Panthers. Ovechkin says he was sorry that Campbell was injured in the hit, which he said he thought was "just a little push."

Ovechkin drove Campbell into the boards from behind in the first period Sunday and received a major penalty and a game misconduct. Campbell will miss seven to eight weeks with a broken collar bone and a fractured rib because of the hit.

Ovechkin will miss games Tuesday at Florida and Thursday at Carolina. He can return Saturday at Tampa Bay.

World class jackass.

"A little push" doesn't break a man's clavicle and rib, Capt. Cavey.

It's obvious that he thinks he's untouchable and should be allowed to get away with anything. What he actually needs is for someone to beat the hell out of him and make him pay for his dirty hits. But of course, that will never happen, because Thou Shalt Not Hit The Great 8. :coffee:

World class jackass indeed. And his fat, Uncle Fester-looking coach is an even bigger jackass for enabling that attitude.

At least his teammate Mike Knuble gets it - he said that Cavey needs to learn how to control his aggressiveness for his own sake. Damn straight, Mike.

Fire Haley
03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Downie got fined today for his hit on Sid

WH
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Mike Knuble, a former Flyer, telling someone to calm down. IIRRROOONNYYYY

SteelMember
03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
On a lighter note...

The seats are going in at Consol Energy Center.

Won't be long now before some of you will be picking out your new "views".

http://postgazette.com/multimedia/?ClipID=4626322

http://postgazette.com/pg/10076/1043287-61.stm

Lookin' good. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Hopefully HTG and I will be getting that info soon, because the anticipation is driving me nuts. I want to see where they put us and how much it's going to cost, and as much as I'm going to miss the Igloo, I can't wait to see the new building. HTG will also be happy to know that she won't have to worry about a tall guy sitting in front of her with the deeper rows and blocking her view or a fat guy sitting next to her with the wider seats! :thumbsup:

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Eh read an article on the Penguins home site. Looks like Malkin might not play tonight. Still day to day and did not skate yesterday. Looks like we have to beat this losing streak against the Devils without him.

Fire Haley
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Malkin is OUT tonight

Ponikarovsky-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Staal-Guerin
Cooke-Kennedy-Fedotenko
Rupp-Talbot-Adams
(Godard)

Gonchar-Eaton
Orpik-Letang
Leopold-Goligoski
(McKee)

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521675

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I figured Geno would be a no-go. They haven't been able to score goals against Marty WITH him in the lineup, so it won't be any easier without him.

stlrtruck
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I figured Geno would be a no-go. They haven't been able to score goals against Marty WITH him in the lineup, so it won't be any easier without him.

All it takes is one man's opportunity and he could be lighting up the lamp all night against Marty! It only takes one to become contagious!

:drink: Here's to the PENS coming down with a case of breaking the back of the net!!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
If no one can score on Marty it's not a bad loss to lose Malkin tonight. Someone other than Sid needs to get it past him. Both teams are going to be flying tonight it's a HUGE game for the division lead. GO PENS!

steelerdude15
03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
For anyone who has DirecTV, the channels are 635 (MSG), 659 (FSPI) 770 and 771 are the NHL channels.

SteelCityMom
03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I think Staal's going to have a huge night...just have that feeling. I predict 2 goals, one even strength and one shorty. I hope I'm right lol.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Game time! Lets Go Pens!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I like that how we look early. Working behind the net tonight and getting a few good chances.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Kunitz off a fat rebound and he buries it past Marty Pens key 1 to 0 lead!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow. Not what we needed. A steal in the neutral zone and the team changing Zubris breakaway goal... 1 to 1. Letang gave it up.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 07:35 PM
2 to 1 Devils. Unbelievable. Another turnover in the neutral zone. Practically a second breakaway and Martin bury's it. What are the Pens doing. Ugh!

Fire Haley
03-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Horrible puck handling by the Pens. Cross ice passes at their own blue line with so many turnovers I can't count.

Get your heads outta your asses!

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
They carry the play for most of the period, and then bang...two horrible mistakes and the Devils get the lead. :doh:

I don't care what Sid says, the Devils are in their heads. They need to freaking settle down and make the safe play instead of taking risks, otherwise it's going to be another long and disappointing night.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Im getting sick to my stomach! 3rd breakaway for the Devils off a 3rd straight turnover. Lucky Fluery made a great wonderful save with the glove AND ITS ON THE PENS PP!!! Get playing!!!!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! 4th straight breakaway on the Pens PP shorthanded goal to make it 3 to 1 and they are just taking over. Im speechless.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Pens just looks out of whack now. Head down confidence broken and playing like the Devils took everything away. Come on Pens!

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, that's it. Looks like an 0-fer for the Pens against the Devils this season. They aren't going to get 4 past Marty tonight.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
4 to 1 its over. Now way we will get 5 to win this. All over. Goodnight. 0 for 6 and if we see them in the Playoffs it's over!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh and here you go Devils the division lead is yours...

Fire Haley
03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Fleury yanked - though it's not his fault

Turn it off

Letang - you suck

Gogo - you suck

PP - you suck

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
4 to 1 its over. Now way we will get 5 to win this. All over. Goodnight. 0 for 6 and if we see them in the Playoffs it's over!

XT will tell you - I never -EVER - give up on these guys. His ass is sore from me kicking him square in it when he's thrown in the towel and the Pens have come from behind to win or at least make it a game. :buttkick: :chuckle:

Fleury out, BJ in. :hope:

The Pens have got to get the Debs out of their heads - somehow, some way. They are just as talented, if not more, than NJ and though Brodeur is the best goalie to ever play the game, they CAN beat him.

LETS GO PENS!!!

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:19 PM
HTG will also be happy to know that she won't have to worry about a tall guy sitting in front of her with the deeper rows and blocking her view

You know my luck XT - the only 7 foot tall man mountain dean in the entire arena will be sitting his hiney in front of me. :banging:

or a fat guy sitting next to her with the wider seats! :thumbsup:

:jawdrop: You're sitting in another section next season? :wink: :chuckle:

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Letang - you suck

You mean the guy who wanted $4 million per season? :shake02: They won't pay Serg that much or give him 3-4 years but they'll consider giving Letang $3.5. Go figure.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Ugh Sorry HTG Im always confident about my Pens, but no team gets in their head like the Devils. They were playing to win and win big in the first early, but as you can see that is gone and getting even one more goal looks unlikely.
When we have a better chance at beating the Caps or Blackhawks I just don't have a good feeling right now. Id love to be wrong though!

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 08:25 PM
This has been the worst puck management I have ever seen out of this team. Just absolutely freaking terrible. I'd understand if the Devils were completely dominating the Pens, but they aren't. Fleury isn't to blame - he got hung out to dry on all 4 of those goals.

All I want now is for them to at least finish 4th and start the playoffs at home, because I don't know if they'll be able to win the division.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
This has been the worst puck management I have ever seen out of this team. Just absolutely freaking terrible. I'd understand if the Devils were completely dominating the Pens, but they aren't. Fleury isn't to blame - he got hung out to dry on all 4 of those goals.

All I want now is for them to at least finish 4th and start the playoffs at home, because I don't know if they'll be able to win the division.

I know we can win the division. All because we don't have to play these guys anymore.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Potash interviewing Parise instead of a Pen in the intermission...wow that's sad.

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
I know we can win the division. All because we don't have to play these guys anymore.

THANK YOU, as always, for maintaining the postive 'tude! :hatsoff::drink: It's very refreshing around here.

Darned tootin' they can win the division but if they don't, it isn't the end of the world or the end of their chances to win the Cup. Remember last season? I sure do! :applaudit:

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
You know my luck XT - the only 7 foot tall man mountain dean in the entire arena will be sitting his hiney in front of me. :banging:

Yeah, that's true! :chuckle:

:jawdrop: You're sitting in another section next season? :wink: :chuckle:

Hey, I'm nowhere near as big as that 400lb beefalo that sat next to you earlier in the season, so :flap: :chuckle:

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Potash interviewing Parise instead of a Pen in the intermission...wow that's sad.

That was a little odd, but I didn't mind - Parise sure isn't hard on the eyes!

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey, I'm nowhere near as big as that 400lb beefalo that sat next to you earlier in the season, so :flap: :chuckle:

I experienced first hand that night what it feels like to be a sausage. :horror: :chuckle: My shoulders were stiff for 2 weeks after sitting next to that weeble.

SteelCityMom
03-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm not one to get overly emotional over a game, but I'm just so pissed right now. Horrible, horrible play and there's no excuse for it at all. I've never been so mad all season.

So Devils, you may win tonight in your ugly ass throwbacks but...:countdown...I hope you lose in the first round.

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM

That may be, but let's look at their remaining schedule:

@ Boston - fighting for their playoff lives
vs. Carolina - always gives us fits
@ Washington - a team that is actually more potent without Capt. Caveman
@ Detroit - fighting for their playoff lives AND they're healthy. Not good.
vs. Philadelphia - in 6th but is only 3 points away from being out of the playoffs...tough matchup
vs. Toronto - may be the 2nd worst team in the league but are still capable of beating anyone
vs. Tampa Bay - fighting for their playoff lives
vs. Atlanta - still has an outside shot at the playoffs
vs. Washington - may be resting some guys by then
vs. Isles - final regular season game at Mellon - they definitely win this one
@ Atlanta - may be playing only for pride
@ Isles - ditto

Not exactly an easy schedule by any means. Now let's look at the Devils' remaining schedule:

@ Toronto
vs. St. Louis
vs. Columbus
vs. Rangers
@ Montreal
@ Philadelphia
vs. Boston
vs. Chicago
@ Carolina
@ Atlanta
@ Florida
vs. Isles
vs. Buffalo

Much easier schedule, IMO. I think the Devils will win the division, sorry.

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not one to get overly emotional over a game, but I'm just so pissed right now. Horrible, horrible play and there's no excuse for it at all. I've never been so mad all season.

So Devils, you may win tonight in your ugly ass throwbacks but...:countdown...I hope you lose in the first round.

It's not pretty - can't deny that. Our guys are more than capable of playing a smarter game. :banging:

The Debs throwbacks are just plain putrid. When they're skating down the ice, it looks like their Fruit Of the Looms are hanging out. :yuck:

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Tank scores to bring the Pens to within 2. :hope: :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Much easier schedule, IMO. I think the Devils will win the division, sorry.

You'd best be prepping your hiney, buddy, just in case you are proven wrong - again. :buttkick: A little positiveness goes a long way.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
GOOOALLL!!! Wooo about time. 13:00 minutes lefts come on boys!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
GoGo gets a bad hit from behind. Oh My!

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
5:00 PP for the Pens coming up. THis is our chance.

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
You'd best be prepping your hiney, buddy, just in case you are proven wrong - again. :buttkick: A little positiveness goes a long way.

That's fine. It's not like finishing 4th is terrible - they were 4th last year and won the Cup. :noidea: But looking at those schedules - the toughest games the Devils have are Montreal, Chicago, Philly and Buffalo, while the Pens have to play Washington twice, Detroit, Philly and a Tampa Bay squad looking for wins and points to try to get into the playoffs. Edge Devils.

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
5:00 PP for the Pens coming up. THis is our chance.

Took the print right outta my font! :drink:

It's do or die in this next 5. :hope: :hope:

HometownGal
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM
That's fine. It's not like finishing 4th is terrible - they were 4th last year and won the Cup. :noidea: But looking at those schedules - the toughest games the Devils have are Montreal, Chicago, Philly and Buffalo, while the Pens have to play Washington twice, Detroit, Philly and a Tampa Bay squad looking for wins and points to try to get into the playoffs. Edge Devils.

Having an "edge" schedule wise means jack. Just as I always say in football - any given game. The Pens turned it up a hundred notches last year at this same time and I am confident they will do it again IF they can stay healthy.

steelpride12
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Game. Set. Match. Divison lead gone.

X-Terminator
03-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Having an "edge" schedule wise means jack. Just as I always say in football - any given game. The Pens turned it up a hundred notches last year at this same time and I am confident they will do it again IF they can stay healthy.

Well, we'll see. Last year, they were in a battle just to get in. This year, they're pretty much assured of getting in, so the same hunger may not be there down the stretch, and the schedule is not in their favor. So unless they get on a roll and get some help from some mediocre to bad teams, I still think the Devils will end up on top. When the bell rings for game one of the playoffs, though, they will be ready to go. No doubt in my mind on that.

Shea
03-17-2010, 10:56 PM
What a rough game to watch tonight. Embarrassing.

One positive though is that this was the last game of the season against them.

Yeah, they kicked our ass and won out but if we do get them in the playoffs it will just be a storyline for the media to pick up on in the beginning and then again at the end to point out the irony when we kick their asses! :thumbsup:

:sofunny: I was thinking the same thing when watching that.

I think Staal's going to have a huge night...just have that feeling. I predict 2 goals, one even strength and one shorty. I hope I'm right lol.

I have a feeling that your feeling is just a day off and that that feeling will come to fruition tomorrow night against the Bruins. I feel it. :wink02:

Unfortunately, I'm a bit concerned they will be on the PK more than us due to retribution for the Savard hit, so Staalsy will have less opportunities than them for a shorty.

I really hope nobody on that team does something stupid.

Shea
03-18-2010, 12:30 AM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/sid-sticklittlekid.jpg

So cute!

HometownGal
03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Oh well - the Pens fell short last night. On to the Bruins tonight and hopefully we'll come out with a big W. :hope: I expect a really physical game tonight and along with the W, I am praying everyone gets out of there without injury. :hope:

I'd really like to see them finish in the Top 4 so that we won't have to play the Debs, but what will be will be. I believe in 'em no matter who they play. :tt03:

SteelMember
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Well, that was ugly.

Sloppy play at the blue line was the downfall.
Getting a clean line change even seems problematic.

Malkin was definately missed.

Just have to put this one behind us, and push forward.

X-Terminator
03-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Just FYI, the referees for tonight's game:

Stephen Walkom
Bill McCreary

Walkom I'm not all that concerned about - he's a decent ref, plus he lives in Moon Twp. in the offseason. McCreary, on the other hand...well, we can expect the Pens to get effed and effed good.

stlrtruck
03-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Something tells me I'm thankful VS didn't carry this game.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Just FYI, the referees for tonight's game:

Stephen Walkom
Bill McCreary

Walkom I'm not all that concerned about - he's a decent ref, plus he lives in Moon Twp. in the offseason. McCreary, on the other hand...well, we can expect the Pens to get effed and effed good.

Yes ESPN reporters are saying several NHL officials will be there for tonight game include the VP of NHL. Im sure nothing from the players will happen against Cooke now that this will be a highly viewed game.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Well thanks for everything Ken. You kept the Pens in Pittsburgh!:thumbsup:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521795&navid=DL|PIT|home

Penguins' Sawyer to Retire on August 31; Morehouse to Take Over as CEO/President
Thursday, 03.18.2010 / 10:28 AM / News
Ken Sawyer, the senior executive who led the Pittsburgh Penguins out of bankruptcy to become one of the premier franchises in the NHL, and who oversaw the construction of the new Consol Energy Center, will retire on August 31, the team announced today.

Sawyer joined the Penguins as executive vice president when co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle bought the team in 1999, was named president in 2003 and has led the organization as CEO since 2006. During his tenure the Penguins emerged from the depths of bankruptcy to become one of the hottest tickets in the NHL, with a sellout streak of more than 150 games, while reaching back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals and winning the Cup in 2009. His crowning achievement was the development and construction of Pittsburgh’s spectacular new arena, expected to open in August.

Lemieux and Burkle announced that David Morehouse, who has served the team as president since 2007, will now lead the Penguins in the dual role of CEO and president.

“Ken Sawyer has done a phenomenal job for this city and this organization, and even in retirement he always will be a Pittsburgh Penguin,” Lemieux and Burkle said in a joint statement. “Ken guided us through the early years of our ownership, provided strong and steady leadership during the uncertainty of the NHL lockout and laid the financial groundwork for our success on the ice as well as the new Consol Energy Center. The fact that this remarkable new arena will be completed on time and on budget is a testament to his vision and management skills.”

Previously, Sawyer was Chief Financial Officer of the National Hockey League for 14 years. He also has experience as a consultant, and will continue to be available to the Penguins in a consulting role.

“When you think of Ken Sawyer, you think of stability, of success, of commitment to the community,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. “When you think of the Pittsburgh Penguins, you think of the same things. It’s no coincidence. The National Hockey League thanks Ken for his decades of distinguished service and sends its best wishes for a long, happy and healthy retirement.”

Morehouse, a Pittsburgh native, has been president of the Penguins since April, 2007, overseeing ticket sales, marketing, corporate sales, communications and brand development, as well as representing the team in corporate relations, governmental affairs and redevelopment of the Mellon Arena site. He originally joined the team as a senior consultant on the new arena project in 2004.

“With Ken’s retirement, David is the ideal person to lead the Penguins forward into this exciting new era, symbolized by the Consol Energy Center,” Lemieux and Burkle said. “David came to us with a strong background in strategic planning, project development, branding, communications and political decision-making, as well as a native’s understanding of Pittsburgh and the surrounding region. For the past three years, he’s had the opportunity to work with and learn from Ken Sawyer at the top level of our organization, and now we believe he is the natural choice to assume the dual role of CEO and president.”

Morehouse grew up in the Beechview section of Pittsburgh and often used to sneak into Penguins games in the 1970s to watch Syl Apps, Jean Pronovost and Dave Burrows. He attended South Hills Catholic High School, the Community College of Allegheny County and Duquesne University. He received a master’s degree in public administration from the Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government in 1999.

Morehouse and his wife, Vanessa, reside in Bell Acres with their three children.

SteelCityMom
03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
The Bruins would be smart to focus more on getting at the very least a point from this game tonight since they are fighting for their playoff lives. If they want to be idiots and focus more on revenge...so be it lol.

X-Terminator
03-18-2010, 02:18 PM
The Bruins would be smart to focus more on getting at the very least a point from this game tonight since they are fighting for their playoff lives. If they want to be idiots and focus more on revenge...so be it lol.

I doubt anything happens other than Cooke being forced to fight. The Bruins know that they can't afford to get anyone suspended, not when they are barely holding on to that 8th seed. Both teams have also been warned by Bettman and Campbell, who both will be in attendance tonight.

Also, thanks to Ken Sawyer for all he's done for the Penguins and good luck in retirement. Morehouse is a fine selection to replace him as CEO.

Fire Haley
03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Pens better skate and pass the puck better than they did last night.
Maybe they were saving themselves for tonight.

Keep them heads on a swivel!

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Pens just need to come out tonight and answer big on the road for sure. Malkin is looking to be out tonight and the same lineup from last night as well.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Woo Game time boys and girls! Time to make a statement tonight after that horrid loss and take over this division once again! Let's Go Pens!

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 07:22 PM
And Matt Cooke does the right thing and fights Shaun Thorton who wails him pretty good, but hey Cooke is not a good fighter. It's over with so let's play hockey.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
GOOALLLL!!! B"s give up a 2 on 1 and Kennedy takes it down the ice with a sexy wrister to give him his first goal in 19 games and makes it 1 to 0! GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Im truly worried about this defense. I mean it's every game that our defense gets burned and gives up breakaways or odd man rushes. Ive counted 2 to 3 already in the first the B's have walked right in alone or with a 2 on 1, 2 on 0, and the defense men is usually GoGo. This needs fixed!

X-Terminator
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I've only seen 1 2-on-1 allowed, and the defenseman blocked the shot. :noidea: The Bruins only had 5 shots on goal, but they also hit 2 posts and missed the net twice in prime scoring areas.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - at just 185 lbs, Goligoski is too small to play defense at this level. He'll be a great offensive talent, but unless he puts on some muscle, he's going to constantly get run over and outworked along the boards.

I guess Matt Cooke does have some honor and some balls after all. Full props to him for taking on Thornton, even if he did get his ass kicked.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Rupp and Chara go at it. Good fight, but Chara's arms are too long and Rupp could never reach him.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 08:41 PM
GOOALLLL!!! On a PP the Pens score. A shot from Letang deflected in by Poni to get his second goal as a Pen and a 2 to 0 lead in the final seconds of the second!

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Good game for the Pens so far tonight. Finally knocking in a PP goal and they have one heck of a record when they score one and looking good overall on the PP. Fluery only has face around 9 shots tonight, but looked good when he needed too. Always great to see Poni score he is a huge addition to the front of the net.

2 goal lead is the worst in the NHL. We need to keep playing strong D and get another goal or two! GO PENS!

X-Terminator
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
The only reason that big oaf rarely loses a fight is because he's so damn tall and has a 747 reach. The way he fights, if he was Rupp's height, he'd have taken several shots right on the button. Hopefully Godard shakes off a little rust by kicking his or Lucic's ass.

So far, so good. Let's try NOT to blow this one, OK boys?

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
GOOOALLLL!!!! Mike Rupp puts one in on the far side to give our Pens a commanding 3 to 0!!! GO PENS!

X-Terminator
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Fights aside, the Pens really dominated that game from start to finish. Great performance after last night's debacle.

Hard to believe this is Flower's first shutout in almost a calendar year.

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Pens win an impressive game tonight 3 to 0 and Fluery gets his 16th SO of his career. Good for them to come out and dominate and get the win and two points in the division. Now Carolina on Saturday which we don't fare well against.

Hope the Devils lose tonight so we can hold the division again. This is going to be a battle till the final game of the season and the Pens need to win out for sure!

X-Terminator
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Devils lose 2-1 to the Leafs in a shootout, so the Pens have a 1-point lead in the division.

So let me get this straight...the Devils completed their sweep of the Pens last night, then turn around and lose to the Leafs the next night? Huh??? Yes, they had Danis in goal, but still, they can and should be able to beat the Leafs with the talent they have. I'll take it though!

steelpride12
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Devils lose 2-1 to the Leafs in a shootout, so the Pens have a 1-point lead in the division.

So let me get this straight...the Devils completed their sweep of the Pens last night, then turn around and lose to the Leafs the next night? Huh??? Yes, they had Danis in goal, but still, they can and should be able to beat the Leafs with the talent they have. I'll take it though!

Because let's face it, the Devils are just not that good of a team. Good defense good goalie, but that's about it and I think once again they will enter and leave the playoffs awfully quick. Pens just don't play well against them.

Fire Haley
03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I see by your avatar you saw the bit on Ben... I just watched a clip on Steelers blog.. lol

Yes, I am really Ben's mom - - - he really likes them lemon meringue pie recipes.

http://homeschooltrenches.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/lemon-meringue-pie.jpg

perhaps I've said too much

Fire Haley
03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
nah - bruins are puddy cats

3 - 0

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Well thanks for everything Ken. You kept the Pens in Pittsburgh!:thumbsup:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521795&navid=DL|PIT|home

Indeed Ken will be missed. Thanks for your service Ken Sawyer. It's because of a guy like you, the greatest hockey franchise is where IT BELONGS!!!!

steelerdude15
03-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Thank you Mr. Sawyer for everything you've done! Have a good retirement!

Shea
03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
All hype on this game and basically not much to sneeze at. Atleast Cookie fought, but then again how could he get out of it.

Love the win - love that MAF got a SO. I'm surprised it was his first as well this season.

Yes, I am really Ben's mom - - - he really likes them lemon meringue pie

:sofunny:

Killer - first off, thanks for getting me my Versus back. (from another thread)

And second, as Ben's mom could you tell the guy to keep his Peter in his pants and to cut his hair as well. He looks ridiculous. Thanks.

HometownGal
03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm saddened to see Ken Sawyer retiring, but I wish him all the best! :drink: The Pens wouldn't be where they are today if it hadn't been for Ken's business savvy, hard work and leadership.

THANK YOU KEN and you'll always be a Pittsburgh Penguin in our hearts. :heart: :applaudit: :hatsoff:

X-Terminator
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
I know it's a little early, but the Pens can clinch a playoff berth if they get 3 of 4 points in their next 2 games and Atlanta, the Rangers and Tampa Bay all lose once.

Fire Haley
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
We know they're making the playoffs

It's about home ice, home ice, home ice

X-Terminator
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
We know they're making the playoffs

It's about home ice, home ice, home ice

They're 10 points ahead of Philadelphia and Ottawa for 5th, so they're in pretty good shape to get home ice.

Fire Haley
03-19-2010, 02:52 PM
As for the Cooke thing...now that I'm sobered up I can remember a few things. Bylsma was smart about it. I believe Godard was on the ice the first shift after the Pens went up 3-0 just in case the Bruins tried anything. He also didn't put Cooke out in the last five minutes. Charra tried to line up Sid a few times for a big hit but Sid was ready and easily avoided him.

Bruins new mascot

http://www.arenaflowers.com/product_image/large/392-pink_bear.jpg

Fire Haley
03-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Malkin played today and got a goal.

Crappy way to lose a point with less than a sec to go, then lose in OT.

Maybe we should lose the division and play the Flyers first instead of the Habs

steelpride12
03-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Ugh why are the Canes that team we can never beat! They are horrible. I don't know. I always believe in our Pens, but last season they were getting hot this time and we are still losing and at home too. A positive is the PP is on fire which is good, but the Pens giving up the late goal and losing in OT. A point just doesn't cute it against the Canes.

X-Terminator
03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Afternoon game + Carolina Hurricanes = another loss. What a surprise. :coffee: I've just about had it up to here with the losses to bad teams like the Canes at home too.

It's almost as if this team doesn't want to win the division. Thank God the Devils are looking worse than the Pens are right now, managing to score just 1 goal in 2 games against horrible teams. Shut out at home by the Blues? The BLUES??? How bad do the Pens look now for not managing a single win against this team?

steelpride12
03-21-2010, 12:54 AM
I agree. X-T. The Pens have had plenty of opportunities to take a much wider lead in the division, but losing to a bad team at home close to playoff time is not not going to cut it. As I said I still believe and hope when the playoffs start they kick it in to high gear as they always do.

Hard next three games coming up. Time to rise up and prove ourselves!

Shea
03-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Just 10 games left. Hopefully, the team will play more consistently and finish strong.

I also hope that Sid hits 50, or atleast keeps in front of Ovechkin and Stamkos to win the RR. Also hope Geno reaches 30, and a couple others are eyeing 20. Lots of goals to reach these milestones and it will bode well for the team if all manage to do so.

Hope all goes well down the stretch here, and mostly hope for no injuries heading into the playoffs - which I'm looking forward to - but damn if this hockey season hasn't flown. I'm starting to realize that hockey is soon to come to an end and know I'll miss it.

But mostly I have lots of hopes. :hope:

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Well these next final ten games should be interesting and one hell of a test for our Pens. Tonight we get the hot Wings who are finally getting healthy and looking like old. Excited to see how the Pens play at the Joe Louis and getting a bounce back win.

Geez it get's no easier, tonight's game followed up by the Cryers, and then the Caps. Time to step up, prove ourselves and get some points heading into the final stretch. GO PENS!

X-Terminator
03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Well these next final ten games should be interesting and one hell of a test for our Pens. Tonight we get the hot Wings who are finally getting healthy and looking like old. Excited to see how the Pens play at the Joe Louis and getting a bounce back win.

Geez it get's no easier, tonight's game followed up by the Cryers, and then the Caps. Time to step up, prove ourselves and get some points heading into the final stretch. GO PENS!

It's the Caps first, then the Flyers, after tonight. HTG and I will be at that game on Saturday. Plus, I ain't scared of the Flyers - they have been terrible lately and are down to their 3rd string goalie and a rookie backup. They just got swept in a home-and-home with the Thrashers over the weekend and didn't look good in either game, which of course now forces the Pens to have to beat both the Wings and Caps to clinch a playoff berth before Saturday.

Fire Haley
03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Malkin is OUT tonight against the Wings.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

12:40 PM:
The Penguins will not have Evgeni Malkin in the lineup. It was confirmed by Bylsma that Malkin will not play. When asked if Malkin was out for the game, Bylsma responded, "that's the case, yes."

X-Terminator
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Malkin is OUT tonight against the Wings.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

12:40 PM:
The Penguins will not have Evgeni Malkin in the lineup. It was confirmed by Bylsma that Malkin will not play. When asked if Malkin was out for the game, Bylsma responded, "that's the case, yes."

Your link is borked - try this one: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522250&navid=DL|PIT|home

Oh, and this sucks. With the way the Wings have been playing, they're going to need all hands on deck if they want to win. Not looking good right now.

Fire Haley
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

I've been getting this a lot

X-Terminator
03-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Well that's because this site's web host is...less than optimal, let's just put it that way.

Anyway, looks like the Flyers are about to sink even further into the abyss - their only pure scorer, Jeff Carter, is out 3-4 weeks with a broken foot: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Carter_to_miss_3-4_weeks.html

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Ouch that's a tough loss for our Pens tonight the Wings are 6-1-1 in their last 8 games and the Pens will need to dig deep tonight to get 2 points!
Love anything that deals with watching the Cryers falter and sink!

Fire Haley
03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
The game is on Versus btw. I just checked the listings.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
John Stevens the Flyers Ex coach talking on the pre-game show what a joke!

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Would the ref put their whistle away already? They have missed 2 Detroit Penalties and probably more.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Filpula scores with less than a minute left Wings 1 to 0.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Sigh 2 to 0 from Zetterberg. Pens 15 shots all stopped and not too much life from anyone, but Sid.

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Zetterberg's goal should be waved off. Fleury was BLATANTLY interfered with.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
GOOOALLLL!!! Kunitz and the offense just wacking away at the puck in the crease till it goes in! 2 to 1 Wings lead now! GO PENS!

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Fluery gives up a bad one early. Making it 3 to 1. Zetterberg 2 goals. Not a good feeling now.

SteelCityMan786
03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Stay in the crease FLEURY!

X-Terminator
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Just got home but not watching - seems like Fleury gave away another goal, and the Pens are looking lost without Geno. Lots of guys playing out of position will do that.

I'm just biding my time until the Pens get to the playoffs right now, because I don't think they're going to get their game together until then. And I still don't think they are going to win the division.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Just got home but not watching - seems like Fleury gave away another goal, and the Pens are looking lost without Geno. Lots of guys playing out of position will do that.

I'm just biding my time until the Pens get to the playoffs right now, because I don't think they're going to get their game together until then. And I still don't think they are going to win the division.

All I have to say is. This time last year the Pens were hot and on fire, this year they are just average and Fluery is also just average!

I still believe and always will til the end.

X-Terminator
03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
All I have to say is. This time last year the Pens were hot and on fire, this year they are just average and Fluery is also just average!

I still believe and always will til the end.

They were hot and on fire last year because they had to be. This year they are all but assured of either the 2nd or 4th seed, so the sense of urgency isn't there, and isn't going to be there until April 14, when the playoffs start. They can give all the lip service they want about everything is going to be OK down the stretch, but I'll believe it when I see it. They are not playing like a championship-caliber team, and really haven't since October.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Killing this game two PP's coming for Detroit and the Pens just have no urgency in them.

X-Terminator
03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
They're going through the same thing that the Sharks are going through, except they aren't losing 5-1 to teams like the Oilers. Just going through the motions, no urgency, no fire, no nothing. It's like they're just trying to make it to the finish line, then they'll start playing for real.

steelpride12
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Just ugly. I only saw Sid trying out there today and Fluery played great early, but this team had 0 ounce of will or want to win this game. No Geno hurts for sure, but this team has to get more goals from others and tonight there was not many chances. Well it get's no easier Caps Wed.

Shea
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Ugh. Oh well .......

Wednesday's game might wake the boys up a bit and we will perhaps see some more intensity and better play from the team since playing the Caps usually bumps things up a notch.

Even though I can't stand that turd on skates, I really enjoy the games against Washington, so I hope it's a good one.

Hopefully Geno will be back playing as well. :hope:

BTW, the game should be available to everybody. It will be on NHL Network, which is giving free access to all thru the 27th.

Shea
03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/spongebob-maf.jpg

For some reason this pic of MAF reminds me of Spongebob. :sofunny:

Damn these kids always at my house and damn all those cartoon channels!

Fire Haley
03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Maybe the Pen are just sandbagging it a bit because they'd rather play Philly than the Habs in the 1st rd. They need to lose a few more to do that.

X-Terminator
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't see why it would make a difference - they played the Habs pretty well this season. Plus, I think they are going to end up overtaking Philly anyway.

Fire Haley
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
The Habs are hot NOW - the Pens are not.

Nothing is settled in the seeding yet, Buffalo and the Devils could both pass the Pens shortly.

Ottawa is in a tailspin and Philly is stuck in neutral - I'd rather play them.

1 y-Washington 106
2 Pittsburgh 90
3 Buffalo 88
4 New Jersey 88
5 Ottawa 81
6 Philadelphia 79
7 Montreal 79
8 Boston 76

X-Terminator
03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
No, I want them to have the best possible seeding. Finishing 2nd means they'd avoid Washington until the Conference Final, even if it means playing a hot Habs squad, who BTW lost to the Sens at home last night. Besides, I don't think they much care who they play in the first round.

zulater
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I really like the make up of this team. Once this team is properly motivated, I think they can better anyone in a best of 7 series.

X-Terminator
03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I really like the make up of this team. Once this team is properly motivated, I think they can better anyone in a best of 7 series.

I agree. It's just a matter of them getting motivated, because it seems the prospect of winning the Atlantic Division isn't enough of one. I've said that once the playoffs roll around, they will be ready, because they are built to win in the postseason.

HometownGal
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
The Debs won tonight so tomorrow night's game against The Ugmeister and the Craps is a MUST WIN.

Fire Haley
03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't have a good feeling about this one at all.....I think the Pens get blown out

Malkin not expected to play tonight for Penguins
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Center Evgeni Malkin is not participating in the Penguins' game-day skate at the Verizon Center and is not expected to play when they face the Washington Capitals

X-Terminator
03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't have a good feeling about this one at all.....I think the Pens get blown out

You're not alone. I'm thinking something like 5-1 or 6-1. Ugly game.

Fire Haley
03-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Maybe Ovie will take out some of his own teammates for entertainment

http://www.malkin-71.net/images/texts/text-27.jpg

SteelCityMom
03-24-2010, 07:03 PM
No Gonchar tonight either....ugghhh.

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
No Gonchar tonight either....ugghhh.

Hey Mom - do you know why Serg isn't on the ice tonight? I haven't been home most of the day and hadn't heard anything about him being injured. :noidea:

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Pens have been hustling big time this first period. Theodore has made some great saves thus far. :banging:

I want to see one of our tough guys clock the Ug. :applaudit: :hope:

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Talbot scores for the Pens and Knuble for the Caps. We're tied at 1 halfway through the 2nd. Pens have brought their A game thus far. :applaudit:

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Billy G just scored on the PP on a beauty of a pass by Crosby. Pens up 2-1. :banana:

Pittsburghfan
03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey Mom - do you know why Serg isn't on the ice tonight? I haven't been home most of the day and hadn't heard anything about him being injured. :noidea:

Kind of late and maybe you already heard but he wasn't feeling well today. Some sort of sickness?

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Kind of late and maybe you already heard but he wasn't feeling well today. Some sort of sickness?

Nope - hadn't heard anything until your post. Thanks for the info.

SERG - hurry up, get well and get back in the lineup - we need you! :hug:

Pittsburghfan
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
No one seems to want to step up and QB the powerplay like Gonchar does. Not Goligoski, not Letang, no one.

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Semin scores a shorthanded goal for the Craps to tie it up at 2. :banging:

Sid - you can't turn the puck over like dat buddy.

Pittsburghfan
03-24-2010, 09:18 PM
3-2 now after Mike Green's shot got deflected by someone. Crap.

About 4 miuntes left in the game.

Edit again: Jordan Staal! from the right face off dot, top shelf, glove side on Theodore. 3-3!

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Staal scores to tie it all up at 3 late in the 3rd! :banana: :applaudit: :hatsoff:

Pittsburghfan
03-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Overtime. Don't give Ovechkin any room.

Pittsburghfan
03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Shoot out, this has been a very good game so far.

EDIT: in the shoot out Letang and Crosby score but Fleury couldn't stop Ovechkin, Semin, or Knuble. Caps get the extra point.

OneForTheToe
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
This just isn't the MAF we are used to seeing. No, he isn't playing poorly over all. However, he just isn't rising to the big occasions this year like he did the last few. He needs to regain his full stride if we are going to go far in the playoffs.

X-Terminator
03-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, at least they made a game out of it and got a point to regain the division lead. Not a good performance by Fleury in the shootout at all. When your team scores on their first 2 attempts without giving one up, that should be a win every time.

Flyers next.

Shea
03-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Ugh. It seems like all the team is doing lately is losing, atleast some of the losses are in OT so we still get a point.

Thankfully, Owretchkin didn't get a goal but unfortunately neither did Sid. They're still tied.

Was just hoping for a better game with some Sid goals and someone knocking the crappies outta Captain Ugh since I've had a long day.

Maybe I should click a few clicks and order a Staalsy jersey to cheer myself up ......... :scratchchin:

He's really pulling into the lead as one of my favorite players.

SteelCityMom
03-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Well, at least they made a game out of it and got a point to regain the division lead. Not a good performance by Fleury in the shootout at all. When your team scores on their first 2 attempts without giving one up, that should be a win every time.

Flyers next.

My thoughts exactly...no way he should have let in all three of those last shots. I also thought that Staal and Dupuis would have been better choices on the SO than Guerin and Kunitz, they haven't been very hot lately.

Fire Haley
03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Fun game to watch, but seeing Fleury get asswhacked in the shoot-out was bad. That two weeks sitting on the bench during the olympics didn't help him any.

steelerdude15
03-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I had to watch it at a bar full of cap fans... can't wait to be with fellow Pittsburgh fans.

steelpride12
03-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Just a shame to see an OTL tonight. Fluery plays pretty well all game long, but can't stop a shot in the shootout to lose it hurts! It just stinks to see teams bury us bad like 0 an d6 on NJ, 0-1-2 on Caps, and what 0-1-2 on the Canes as well.

Your all right at least we got a point and now the struggling Flyers.

WH
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Fleury is ''sof''

X-Terminator
03-25-2010, 08:14 AM
My thoughts exactly...no way he should have let in all three of those last shots. I also thought that Staal and Dupuis would have been better choices on the SO than Guerin and Kunitz, they haven't been very hot lately.

Neither of those guys are good on breakaways - that's why they weren't used earlier. Malkin isn't all that great either, but I'd still rather have had him out there than either Guerin or Kunitz (Kunitz actually is fairly decent on breakaways). I'd have rather seen Goligoski make an attempt - he scored on his only SO attempt last year against the Flyers.

Just a shame to see an OTL tonight. Fluery plays pretty well all game long, but can't stop a shot in the shootout to lose it hurts! It just stinks to see teams bury us bad like 0 an d6 on NJ, 0-1-2 on Caps, and what 0-1-2 on the Canes as well.

Your all right at least we got a point and now the struggling Flyers.

The Pens do deserve some credit for taking the Caps to a SO with 2 of their best players out of the lineup. Still though, I'm pretty numb to it all now and have accepted that the Pens will not have their game back completely until playoff time. They need to get as many points as they can in the meantime, wrap up their playoff berth and get ready for the show.

steelpride12
03-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I just hope your right X-T that the Pens will come out and fire on all cylinders in the playoffs like last season. I know they can and will, but I just think regardless if they are locked for a playoff spot or not should be going out every game and fighting to win! I can see they did their best against the caps, but some games just look half assed and we don't need that.

Like I said though I know the Pens will pull through and be a great team through the playoffs and make that strong push for another cup.

zulater
03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
The Pens are up to 6-1 at the Sports book to win the Cup. I'm going to get me some of that action!

X-Terminator
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I just hope your right X-T that the Pens will come out and fire on all cylinders in the playoffs like last season. I know they can and will, but I just think regardless if they are locked for a playoff spot or not should be going out every game and fighting to win! I can see they did their best against the caps, but some games just look half assed and we don't need that.

Like I said though I know the Pens will pull through and be a great team through the playoffs and make that strong push for another cup.

Well, Brooks Orpik isn't happy, that's for sure:

"Maybe I'm in the minority here, (but) I'm getting tired of hearing we worked hard or maybe deserved better. We're not winning hockey games, and that's what it comes down to. I don't feel very good leaving the rink when you lose."

"We get a power play in the third period, up by a goal - and even before that Semin goal it was just sloppy there. It looked like we lost our focus for whatever reason. It's just real frustrating right now," he said.

"I'm getting very concerned. Everyone wants to talk about the playoffs. We've got eight games to go here and we're not playing too well. The way we're playing now, we'll be out in the first round."

Rest of the story here: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_673285.html?source=rss&feed=8

steelpride12
03-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Good for Orpik to step up and say that. Our team maybe is not just slacking toward the end of the season, but just not playing well. Like I have said all season this defense is struggling with GoGo doing nothing, and Letang not having a good season what so ever with 0 ST goal's. Gonch was not their last night and it was a massacre of odd man rushes and a short handed goal give up.

I guess all I can do is wait until the playoffs and see how this team reacts now they they are losing games and obviously players are getting concerned.

Fire Haley
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
"The way we're playing now, we'll be out in the first round."

He beat me to it - I said they'd sandbag a few games the rest of the way to start off the playoffs against the Sens as the 4th seed.

SteelCityMom
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Rule prohibiting lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to head will take effect
Implementation of supplementary discipline begins tonight
Thursday, 03.25.2010 / 12:12 PM / Rules NHL.com

NEW YORK -- Beginning with tonight's games, the National Hockey League will implement a new rule prohibiting "a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact."

Under the new rule, the NHL Hockey Operations Department is empowered to review any such hit for the purpose of Supplementary Discipline.

"We believe this is the right thing to do for the game and for the safety of our players," Commissioner Gary Bettman said after receiving unanimous approval from the Board of Governors as well as the endorsement of the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee and the NHLPA Executive Board. "The elimination of these types of hits should significantly reduce the number of injuries, including concussions, without adversely affecting the level of physicality in the game."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=522691

X-Terminator
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't mind this rule so long as the league and the referees can tell the difference between what Cooke did to Savard and, say, Kasparaitis' hit on Eric Lindros back in 1997 that started his concussion problems. Lindros got caught with his head down and Kasparaitis drilled him with as textbook an open-ice hit as you'll ever see. Those hits should always remain in the game.

Also, there's this:

#2 Pittsburgh Penguins (idle) would clinch a playoff berth...

* if the Atlanta Thrashers lose in regulation to the Toronto Maple Leafs

GO LEAFS GO!

SteelCityMom
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't mind this rule so long as the league and the referees can tell the difference between what Cooke did to Savard and, say, Kasparaitis' hit on Eric Lindros back in 1997 that started his concussion problems. Lindros got caught with his head down and Kasparaitis drilled him with as textbook an open-ice hit as you'll ever see. Those hits should always remain in the game.

Also, there's this:

#2 Pittsburgh Penguins (idle) would clinch a playoff berth...

* if the Atlanta Thrashers lose in regulation to the Toronto Maple Leafs

GO LEAFS GO!

LOL...yes GO LEAFS!!

I just thought it was interesting because not many were sure whether this rule would get passed even before the playoffs or if it would be held off until next season. I'm glad they at least passed it sooner than later.

You make a good point with the Kasperitis hit though.

X-Terminator
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Leafs win 2-1...in OT. So the Pens will have to get at least 1 point against the Flyers to clinch a playoff berth. The Devils, BTW, lost 4-3 in a SO, so they get a point and regain the division lead.

Shea
03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
We'll make the playoffs. I'm not worried about that.

Although I hate that the end of the season is so near - because I'm already feeling how much I'll miss hockey - but I'm anticipating and looking forward to the teams response, and hopefully improved play in the playoffs. They need a wake-up call and I see that happening when all is on the line.

Nothing in sports beats playoff hockey, and I truely believe the Pens have another big run within them and that this best of sports will be fun for us Pens fans.

Repeat anyone? I personally can see it! :tt03:

steelpride12
03-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Well on a good note: Happy 46th Birthday to Ulf Samuelsson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W82Lx1DGDGU

steelpride12
03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Well ladies and gents... We have 6 games and 6 ways to feel good about it.

We have 87, 71, 17, 13, 29 and the whole Pen's kickazz team on Igloo ice.. I know we will go out with a HUGE bang being this the last stand in the Igloo... Are you with me on this?!!

Just to be a smart ass we have 8 games remaining:chuckle:

Yes I do believe and I believe the Pens will kick these last games strong and enter the playoffs firing on all cylinders! Lets Go Pens!

X-Terminator
03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
We'll make the playoffs. I'm not worried about that.

Although I hate that the end of the season is so near - because I'm already feeling how much I'll miss hockey - but I'm anticipating and looking forward to the teams response, and hopefully improved play in the playoffs. They need a wake-up call and I see that happening when all is on the line.

Nothing in sports beats playoff hockey, and I truely believe the Pens have another big run within them and that this best of sports will be fun for us Pens fans.

Repeat anyone? I personally can see it! :tt03:

Absolutely we can repeat as champs...as long as someone knocks off New Jersey first :wink02:

Seriously though, if they are clicking on all cylinders and Fleury plays the way he did in the playoffs last year, there isn't a team in the league that the Pens couldn't beat in a 7-game series.

Well ladies and gents... We have 6 games and 6 ways to feel good about it.

We have 87, 71, 17, 13, 29 and the whole Pen's kickazz team on Igloo ice.. I know we will go out with a HUGE bang being this the last stand in the Igloo... Are you with me on this?!!

What about some love for 9, 11, 44 and 55? :wink02:

Since this is the Pens' last homestand at Mellon, I hope the fans are louder than ever, and the team sends the building out in style (for the regular season, anyway).

Speaking of arenas, HTG and I will be getting our season ticket info pack next week, so we'll finally know where our seats will be in Consol next year and what the pricing will be. They are also going to send a link to a 3-D rendering of the arena so that we'll be able to see what the view will be like from anywhere in the building. I'll post the link here so that everyone can have a look. Can't wait to see where they put us - I just hope it isn't the last row in the upper deck or something like that. We should be getting our playoff tickets pretty soon as well.

steelpride12
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Absolutely we can repeat as champs...as long as someone knocks off New Jersey first :wink02:

Seriously though, if they are clicking on all cylinders and Fleury plays the way he did in the playoffs last year, there isn't a team in the league that the Pens couldn't beat in a 7-game series.

What about some love for 9, 11, 44 and 55? :wink02:

Since this is the Pens' last homestand at Mellon, I hope the fans are louder than ever, and the team sends the building out in style (for the regular season, anyway).

Speaking of arenas, HTG and I will be getting our season ticket info pack next week, so we'll finally know where our seats will be in Consol next year and what the pricing will be. They are also going to send a link to a 3-D rendering of the arena so that we'll be able to see what the view will be like from anywhere in the building. I'll post the link here so that everyone can have a look. Can't wait to see where they put us - I just hope it isn't the last row in the upper deck or something like that. We should be getting our playoff tickets pretty soon as well.

Great that link would be appreciated when you receive it. I hope you guys get great seats too and since Ive been on the waiting list forever I know that I get first dibs on tickets before the general public and for sure will at least be at the opening game.

Also will be attempted to go to at least 3 playoff games this year and one during the finals. Ugh I hope I get the chance at season tickets soon been on the list for 5 seasons now!

X-Terminator
03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Great that link would be appreciated when you receive it. I hope you guys get great seats too and since Ive been on the waiting list forever I know that I get first dibs on tickets before the general public and for sure will at least be at the opening game.

Also will be attempted to go to at least 3 playoff games this year and one during the finals. Ugh I hope I get the chance at season tickets soon been on the list for 5 seasons now!

If you've been on the list that long, you should be one of the first in line to buy season tickets because I'm sure they will make more seats available since there will be about 1100 more seats in the building (Mellon seats 16,958; Consol 18,087). They cut them off at 14,000 the past 3 seasons, so they may increase that to 15,000 or more, while leaving them plenty of seats to sell to the general public.

steelpride12
03-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I sure hope so I got the money and so ready. It's been too long!

X-Terminator
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Evgeni Malkin is Dapper Dan Sportsman of the Year! Congrats Geno on this well-deserved honor! :thumbsup: :applaudit:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522828&navid=DL|PIT|home

X-Terminator
03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
And now for some bad news - no Malkin for sure and perhaps no Gonchar tomorrow against the Flyers. Malkin is still dealing with bruised foot and Gonchar is sick.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522843&navid=DL|PIT|home

stlrtruck
03-26-2010, 04:16 PM
And now for some bad news - no Malkin for sure and perhaps no Gonchar tomorrow against the Flyers. Malkin is still dealing with bruised foot and Gonchar is sick.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522843&navid=DL|PIT|home

It's all a ploy from the 'Guins locker room to lull these other teams to sleep in order to shock them when the playoffs start.

Same thing with losing the series to the dweebles!

The 'Guins are coming to defend the cup and defend the cup they will!

Fire Haley
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
"We want 4th place. We want 4th place!"

they know their game is not even close to playoff level quality right now

It all comes down to the goalies - and Fleury is not ready either. We need a tune-up series against the Sens.

X-Terminator
03-26-2010, 05:43 PM
"We want 4th place. We want 4th place!"

they know their game is not even close to playoff level quality right now

It all comes down to the goalies - and Fleury is not ready either. We need a tune-up series against the Sens.

Yeah, I highly doubt the Pens are sitting around saying "yeah, we need those Sens in the first round to get warmed up!" Besides, it's no guarantee that the Sens will even finish 5th, with the Habs 1 point behind and the Flyers 3 points behind.

SteelCityMan786
03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Best clear your calendar ladies and gentlemen. THE PENGUINS ARE GOING DANCING IN THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS AGAIN!!! Hopefully a minimum of 8 Additional Home Games before moving into the Fuse Box.

Fire Haley
03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Big win for Sid... Big win for Fleury....in regulation.

A #2 Pens vs. #7 flyers series wouldn't be so bad either.

SteelCityMom
03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Malkin's Dapper Dan speech...his English is getting much, much better! WTG Geno!

http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=19&id=63997

Shea
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Geno is a cutie. He's funny and that's tough to get up in front of a roomful of people in any situation, but to do it and give a speech in a language that is foreign is even harder. No wonder he was nervous. And I loved Byslma's line about Joe Biden. :chuckle:

Hopefully, the next few days off will heal up Geno's foot and get Gonch well and back on the ice. HTG - I know you were at the game today, sorry you missed your Sarge.

XT - that would be nice to get a sense of the new arena, so a thanks ahead for posting that site for us all to see. Some of us fans from far away love that kind of stuff to try and get a sense of what those types of things are like.

SP12 - I hope you get those tickets!

steelpride12
03-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Heck of a win today for sure! Pens came back from an early goal deficit and played lights out and I love watching Dupuis tear it up and now has 18 goals woo and the PP still scored without Gonch or Malkin!

I think the Pens will make the best of this homestand win big and enter the playoffs getting our two boys healthy and kicking butt. I wouldn't mind the Filthy Cryers first round I just have an evil passion when we beat them and today was great! Pens looked good today and stood strong.

Fire Haley
03-28-2010, 06:12 PM
The Luca Caputi's are dominating the Pens

Fleury playing soft

2-1 Leafs

...and Sid gets a life saver.

2-2

SteelCityMan786
03-28-2010, 06:41 PM
3-3 at the break. Looks like even more Offense will be needed

X-Terminator
03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
With the way the Pens have been sleepwalking through most of this game, it's a miracle they're tied right now. Only in the last few minutes have they actually looked like the Pittsburgh Penguins, and if Giguere doesn't make some huge saves after the Leafs tied the game, they'd be ahead right now.

Fire Haley
03-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Another shoot out win - they kept it close.

When is Malkin coming back?

SteelCityMom
03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Excellent game today...even though it was a nail biter. The Leafs always play us hard.

It looks like the Pens will be taking the division lead back though unless the Debils experience a miracle in under 6 minutes...Flyers are up 5-1. A begrudging thank you to them.

steelpride12
03-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Good win for the Pens. Sloppy at times and I swear I say this once a game, but again our soft defense gave up another breakaway which lead to a goal! They cannot do that in the playoffs and I know Gonch was not playing, but it still happens and is a strong concern of mine.

Pens got the two points and the division lead again, Also Sid is not one up for the most goals in the league which is all great news. Gonch and Malkin can rest all they need until playoff time so we can come out fully healthy and firing on all cylinders!

Great win Pens!

Shea
03-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Looks like the next Winter Classic is headed towards a match-up against the Caps at Heinz.

That ought to be fun. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Looks like the next Winter Classic is headed towards a match-up against the Caps at Heinz.

That ought to be fun. :thumbsup:

And it's sure to make a lot of people upset, for the simple fact that the Pens have already played in a Winter Classic, and we have yet to see a New York team involved in it. Personally, I think it's too soon for the Pens to be in the Classic again - let some other teams play in it first (NY Rangers, New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado, among others) before the Pens get another chance. Plus, the Pens are also lobbying to have the 2011 All-Star Game here, and I highly doubt they'd get both.

HometownGal
03-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Good win for the Pens. Sloppy at times and I swear I say this once a game, but again our soft defense gave up another breakaway which lead to a goal! They cannot do that in the playoffs and I know Gonch was not playing, but it still happens and is a strong concern of mine.

Pens got the two points and the division lead again, Also Sid is not one up for the most goals in the league which is all great news. Gonch and Malkin can rest all they need until playoff time so we can come out fully healthy and firing on all cylinders!

Great win Pens!

I didn't get to see the game, but I have to agree that our D doesn't look very good without Serg in the lineup. I only wish the FO would realize the value this guy has to the team, the impact his absence has not only defensively but QB'ing the PP and sign him already!!! :banging:

We had such a great opportunity to get a little breathing space from the Debs when the Pens were last on the road, but it didn't happen, unfortunately. We've played 2 more games than they have so down this final lap of the stretch, we pretty much have to win most of these games to be assured of home ice advantage in the playoffs. I could give a shit less about the division title at this point - I'd much rather have the most important title at the end of the playoffs - Stanley Cup Champs (again)! :hope: :banana:

As for the Winter Classic, I have to agree with XT here. Let a couple of the other teams get their crack at it and then bring it to HF at some point down the road.

LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
This is where we're at.

2pt lead on the Debbils with 6 to go

Pens Schedule:

Wed: HOME - Tampa
Sat: HOME - Atlanta
Tue: HOME - Washington
Thur: HOME - NY I
Sat: AWAY - Atlanta
Sun: AWAY - NY I

Just play to stay healthy. Save it for the big dance.

I predict 3 more shoot out wins.

steelpride12
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
First off I would just like to say how thankful I am to have this Pens Tidbits section to post and talk about at this time of the season. I just can't stand this Big Ben, now Holmes mess anymore it's so stressful, but what you guys post and talk about our beloved Pens surely helps, thank you!

I think we can truly win out the rest of the way. TB gives us troubles, but at home we should be able to get a point of out it and the only other problem of course is WAS, but we can beat them it's not impossible. We can take this division as well because the Devils are just not that great and are slumping IMO at the end of this season so far big time.

As for the Winter Classic sure other teams deserve the chance, but hey if they want the Pens to play again hell let them! I would have tickets in a heart beat count me in and I think it would be a great venue and event if it did occur.

X-Terminator
03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
We had such a great opportunity to get a little breathing space from the Debs when the Pens were last on the road, but it didn't happen, unfortunately. We've played 2 more games than they have so down this final lap of the stretch, we pretty much have to win most of these games to be assured of home ice advantage in the playoffs. I could give a shit less about the division title at this point - I'd much rather have the most important title at the end of the playoffs - Stanley Cup Champs (again)! :hope: :banana:

The only reason why I want the Pens to win the division is so that they get that #2 seed and would not have to face either the Caps or Devils until the ECF. By then, assuming the Pens make it that far, you hope that they are beat up enough to give the Pens somewhat of an edge.

This is where we're at.

2pt lead on the Debbils with 6 to go

Pens Schedule:

Wed: HOME - Tampa
Sat: HOME - Atlanta
Tue: HOME - Washington
Thur: HOME - NY I
Sat: AWAY - Atlanta
Sun: AWAY - NY I

Just play to stay healthy. Save it for the big dance.

I predict 3 more shoot out wins.

They should realistically win 5 of those 6 games, but I'd settle for 4 wins. That might be enough to get them the division title. We'll see. The Devils are playing their game in hand on the Pens Tuesday against Boston, so root for the Teddy Bears that night!

First off I would just like to say how thankful I am to have this Pens Tidbits section to post and talk about at this time of the season. I just can't stand this Big Ben, now Holmes mess anymore it's so stressful, but what you guys post and talk about our beloved Pens surely helps, thank you!

I think we can truly win out the rest of the way. TB gives us troubles, but at home we should be able to get a point of out it and the only other problem of course is WAS, but we can beat them it's not impossible. We can take this division as well because the Devils are just not that great and are slumping IMO at the end of this season so far big time.

As for the Winter Classic sure other teams deserve the chance, but hey if they want the Pens to play again hell let them! I would have tickets in a heart beat count me in and I think it would be a great venue and event if it did occur.

Well, from what I read earlier, it's pretty much a done deal that the Pens will be hosting the Classic at Heinz. And as I predicted, a LOT of people are not happy with that decision. Sometimes I wonder if the league realizes there are more than 3 teams in the NHL (Pens, Caps, Wings). I'm all for putting your best players/teams on display, but there are plenty of great players on other teams (we'll be seeing one on Wednesday in Steve Stamkos). How about giving them a little exposure too?

And I wholeheartedly agree with you - I'm thankful for this forum because I got sick of the Ben saga a LONG time ago.

steelpride12
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I know there are plenty of great young or even veteran players out there who should get some credit and get a chance to shine for all to see, but are you going to complain with our Pens hosting the winter classic? I mean sure more of a reason for people to bash our fans and team and call Sid names, but im just so used to it I love the idea IMO.

Fire Haley
03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
They should realistically win 5 of those 6 games, but I'd settle for 4 wins. That might be enough to get them the division title. We'll see. The Devils are playing their game in hand on the Pens Tuesday against Boston, so root for the Teddy Bears that night!

Atlanta is only 2 pts back from a play-off spot - they could be playing hard

X-Terminator
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Atlanta is only 2 pts back from a play-off spot - they could be playing hard

Well, they got spanked on home ice by the Canes tonight, 4-1. Luckily for them, the Bruins also lost, so they are still 2 points down. I still think both of the games against Atlanta are winnable and they'll win at least one of them.

So does anyone have an idea when tickets go on sale for the Classic? I know it willn't be till sometime this Summer but looking for a round about date. There is NO way i'm passing this once in a lifetime opportunity to see the Pen's play at Heinz... I'll be able to tell my grandkids this one.. I'm only 36..

They don't go on sale until September or October, I believe. I'm hoping that Pens' STHs get first dibs at tickets since it would be considered a Pens' home game, because I'll be there (not sure about HTG, though - her and January don't mix :wink02::chuckle:). Who knows - it may end up being part of our season ticket plan, which would be awesome...but I doubt it. The Detroit game this season was not on either half-season plan.

HometownGal
03-30-2010, 08:20 AM
They don't go on sale until September or October, I believe. I'm hoping that Pens' STHs get first dibs at tickets since it would be considered a Pens' home game, because I'll be there (not sure about HTG, though - her and January don't mix :wink02::chuckle:). Who knows - it may end up being part of our season ticket plan, which would be awesome...but I doubt it. The Detroit game this season was not on either half-season plan.

You're right about that and it will all depend on when I have my surgery - probably before Thanksgiving, so I should be good to go. :hope:

X-Terminator
03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Pens sign Letang to a 4-year contract extension:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523260&navid=DL

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Kris Letang to a four-year contract extension, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The new contract goes into effect at the start of the 2010-11 season and will run through 2013-14. Letang, 22, has played 211 career NHL games in three-plus seasons with Pittsburgh, totaling 79 points on 21 goals and 58 assists.

This season, the 6-foot, 201-pound defenseman has set a new single-season career high with 24 assists while recording 27 points. Letang has seen his role expand with added time on the team’s power play and penalty killing units. He ranks second among the Penguins’ defensemen (and third overall) with an average of 21:30 minutes per game.

Letang was a major contributor to the Penguins’ 2009 Stanley Cup championship. During Pittsburgh’s title run, Letang was the NHL’s third leading scorer among defensemen with 13 points (4G-9A). His shining moment occurred in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Washington. Letang nearly missed the game with an injury, but suited up and scored the overtime winning goal (his first career playoff goal) to help the Penguins avoid a 3-0 series deficit, and inject the team with new life.

The Montreal, Quebec native was originally drafted by the Penguins in the third round (62nd overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Letang saw his first NHL action at just 19 years old when he appeared in seven games and scored two goals for the Penguins during the 2006-07 season.

Letang won back-to-back gold medals with Canada at the 2006 and 2007 World Junior Champions, and was captain of the 2007 team. He was named one of Canada’s top three players on the 2007 squad after tying for second in tournament scoring among defensemen with six points (6A).

With today’s signing, the Penguins now have locked up a strong core of their young players. The Penguins now have mulit-year contracts with Sidney Crosby (through 2012-13), Jordan Staal (2012-13), Evgeni Malkin (2013-14), Brooks Orpik (2013-14) Letang (2013-14) and Marc-Andre Fleury (2014-15).

This may not be good news for Sergei Gonchar...

EDIT: It's 4 years, $14 million. Yeah, that definitely is not good news for Gonchar, not to mention that he's being WAY overpaid for the production he has put up.

steelpride12
03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Well Ill take the signing because Letang will only improve and once he starts producing goals he will be one hell of a threat. Once again another dagger in the heart of Gonch just not looking good. A lot of players are up after this season and we keep passing him by while signing others.

X-Terminator
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Well Ill take the signing because Letang will only improve and once he starts producing goals he will be one hell of a threat. Once again another dagger in the heart of Gonch just not looking good. A lot of players are up after this season and we keep passing him by while signing others.

Basically what this means is Gonchar is going to have to accept a short-term deal, or he'll have to move on. I mean, look at all of the contracts that will be up within the next 4 seasons - Crosby, Staal, Orpik, Geno, and now Letang. There just isn't room to give Gonchar a 4-year deal for big money without hurting their chances of re-signing one or more of those guys, especially when his cap hit would be guaranteed. I don't see Gonchar taking a 2 or 3-year deal, so this season may be his last in a Penguins' uniform.

steelpride12
03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Basically what this means is Gonchar is going to have to accept a short-term deal, or he'll have to move on. I mean, look at all of the contracts that will be up within the next 4 seasons - Crosby, Staal, Orpik, Geno, and now Letang. There just isn't room to give Gonchar a 4-year deal for big money without hurting their chances of re-signing one or more of those guys, especially when his cap hit would be guaranteed. I don't see Gonchar taking a 2 or 3-year deal, so this season may be his last in a Penguins' uniform.

I agree. Too many key players will need signing in the next few seasons and as we sign them away the smaller of a chance Gonch has because he does not want a short term deal, but that's all we have to offer. He either takes it or leaves it that's all we can do for him.

I hope we work some miracle out with him though he is too precious for this defense and team!

X-Terminator
03-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree. Too many key players will need signing in the next few seasons and as we sign them away the smaller of a chance Gonch has because he does not want a short term deal, but that's all we have to offer. He either takes it or leaves it that's all we can do for him.

I hope we work some miracle out with him though he is too precious for this defense and team!

The thing is, he has to make a decision - does he want to win, or does he want the last big payday. He feels he's worth $6 million a year in a 3 or 4 year deal on the open market, and even though there are a number of teams who might be willing to pay that, the 35+ rule will scare most of them off. I hope he puts winning ahead of money, but I'm not counting on it. If I'm the Pens, I offer him 3 years, $13.5 million and hope he takes it. Anything longer than that puts the team at risk.

EDIT: Just an FYI for anyone who might be interested in going to a Pens' playoff game - tickets for the first 2 games go on sale April 7:

A limited number of individual game tickets for the Penguins’ first two home games of the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs will go on sale to the general public Wednesday, April 7 at 10 a.m.

Approximately 1,500 tickets will be available for each game.

As tickets are expected to sell out quickly, fans are encouraged to order online at www.ticketmaster.com.

Tickets also will be available for purchase at the Mellon Arena Gate One Box Office, all Pittsburgh area Ticketmaster locations, or by calling Ticketmaster at 1.800.745.3000. Fans are advised that lottery systems will be used at the Gate One Box Office and Ticketmaster locations.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523300

Fire Haley
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
It's 4 years, $14 million. Yeah, that definitely is not good news for Gonchar, not to mention that he's being WAY overpaid for the production he has put up.

Yeah - that's bad news for gonch - Letang is young, but he needs to step up a ton to earn that kinda money and bring to the team what Gonchar does.

X-Terminator
03-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah - that's bad news for gonch - Letang is young, but he needs to step up a ton to earn that kinda money and bring to the team what Gonchar does.

Damn straight he does. Shero said in a presser that this contract doesn't affect Gonchar at all...well, we'll see. I can't see how it wouldn't considering that the Pens have just $12.5 million left to sign 9 players this summer based on the current salary cap. I just don't see where they could sign Gonchar to $5-6 million even for 2 seasons.

steelpride12
03-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Exactly X-T. Gonch should be smart and go for winning instead of the money, but I have seen too many players leave for the cash it's just the nature of the game I suppose.

I just hope Letang get's his mind straight and starts shooting that puck like last season and starts producing def. in playoff time. Time to see who steps up.

I was watching last years playoff run and one thing I noticed is that Fluery was not just good, but lights out. I mean every single game he made 4-5 HUGE saves to keep them in and I just hope he gets out of his average game and steps up big because he was everything!

X-Terminator
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I was watching last years playoff run and one thing I noticed is that Fluery was not just good, but lights out. I mean every single game he made 4-5 HUGE saves to keep them in and I just hope he gets out of his average game and steps up big because he was everything!

Flower should have won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago when they lost in the Final, and should have been considered last year too. As great as Geno and Sid were in the playoffs, they don't do jack if Fleury isn't on his game. You need goaltending to win the Cup...which is why the Caps IMO will not be hoisting it. You can't go in thinking you'll just outscore everyone and not care if your goaltending is sub-standard. Even the Oilers in the 80s needed great goaltending from Grant Fuhr in order to win their Cups.

steelpride12
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Flower should have won the Conn Smythe 2 years ago when they lost in the Final, and should have been considered last year too. As great as Geno and Sid were in the playoffs, they don't do jack if Fleury isn't on his game. You need goaltending to win the Cup...which is why the Caps IMO will not be hoisting it. You can't go in thinking you'll just outscore everyone and not care if your goaltending is sub-standard. Even the Oilers in the 80s needed great goaltending from Grant Fuhr in order to win their Cups.

Yes agreed. Fluery just played out of his mind in the playoffs the last two seasons and when the going got tough he would make that huge save to keep the Pens in the game or series.
Yes the Caps won't because of their goaltender ordeal and the fact that there defensive problem is worse than the Pens IMO.

X-Terminator
03-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Bruins beat the Devils 1-0 in OT, so the Pens still lead the division by a point and have a chance to increase it to 3 tomorrow night.

steelpride12
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Bruins beat the Devils 1-0 in OT, so the Pens still lead the division by a point and have a chance to increase it to 3 tomorrow night.

This is the Pens chance to run away with it! :thumbsup:

Shea
03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Congrats to Tanger on his extension. I prefer keeping Gonchar, but father time might be unfortunately coming around to bite him in the ass as far as his hockey career goes. It's sad, but it's inevitable.

As far as the WC needing to be spread around, that would be a good idea for hockey fans but I think they are going after the fans on the fringe and also trying to attract and hook new fans that normally wouldn't give a poopie about the game.

Caps/Pens games feature the best players in the game and add in the element of playing outdoors in a foreign environment and I get their thinking on this and see people watching that normally wouldn't.

Personally, I'm already looking forward to it. Should be a special hockey treat.

Shea
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Russian superstars Evgeni Malkin and Sergei Gonchar returned to the ice during Tuesday’s morning practice to skate with the team.

Malkin, who is suffering from a foot injury, missed six of his last seven games. Gonchar, who had strep throat, missed his last three games.

Although Gonchar and Malkin seem to be feeling better, head coach Dan Bylsma said that he has not yet decided whether or not either one of them will play in Wednesday night’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“They have both gotten better but are day-to-day and won’t be decided on until tomorrow,” Bylsma said.

Executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero also discussed his happiness with Malkin and Gonchar beginning to regain their health.

“I’m looking forward to having those guys back,” he said. “While they’re out, it’s not a bad thing for the other guys to get added ice time and added responsibility. It also gives Geno and Gonchar a rest here. Hopefully, they’ll be back soon, and they’ll be two good additions for us."

Gonchar said that although he has not been watching the scoreboard constantly since he has been in bed for the past five days, he still knows that his teammates have been playing exceptionally well in recent games.

“We are battling for the division lead,” he said. “The guys are doing a great job. We have a few games left, so we have to finish strong.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523276&navid=DL|PIT|home

Good news. Gonch and Geno look to be getting healthy and close to returning. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
03-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Congrats to Tanger on his extension. I prefer keeping Gonchar, but father time might be unfortunately coming around to bite him in the ass as far as his hockey career goes. It's sad, but it's inevitable.

I wouldn't put Gonchar out to pasture just yet. I've been arguing with other Pens fans on another hockey board over his value to the team, and as far as I'm concerned, he still has 2 or 3 very productive years left in him. I can still see him putting up 50-60 points even at 39 years old. Up until the last two seasons, he's been pretty durable as well, so his body doesn't have a whole lot of wear and tear on it. What else needs to be done to prove how valuable Gonchar is? You saw how out-of-sync the D was without him last season and this season, and how the PP suffered big time. I'd rather keep Gonchar for at least 2 more seasons while giving Letang more time to grow into a top-pairing defenseman, and then turn the reins over to him. I'm sorry, but Letang is being way overpaid and is basically being paid for potential, not for what he has actually done, which certainly is not enough to justify that contract. I think the Pens are making a HUGE mistake paying him that much and in essence pushing Gonchar out the door 2-3 years too soon. Give that money to Gonchar, because at least with him, you know exactly what you are going to get.

steelpride12
03-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Team website reporting both Gonch and Malkin will be out for tonight's match up against the Lightning. Looks like we have to do it without them again against this pesky bolts team that gives the Pens hassle def. St. Louis and Lecavier.
Big game for the Pens now that the Devils have no games in hand and down one this is a chance to go up 3 points tonight. Come on boys!